• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Sinnoh Mixed Media Mature Mon You're Not Special [CANCELLED]

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Don’t talk to me about BW2, ever. I don’t want to talk about it with you.
Disclaimer:​

Hi. So... this isn't the big storylocke idea that I've had on the backburner for the past two months. Instead this is (much like that storylocke) a coping project for myself. As I've said and probably will say many times over, I suffer from chronic depression. It is a feeling that makes me numb and disinterested in a lot of things, including the things I actually want to make. I desperately need to find creative and constructive ways to express my frustrations, sadness, feelings of worthlessness, etc. This comic is going to explore a lot of very negative and existential concepts, concepts like the desire to die, emotional self-destruction, paranoia, hatred, etc. If such things offend you, I highly recommend that you read something more worth your time. This is not going to be a comedy, and I cannot even guarantee that it will be good in quality in regards to writing. I just want to let my thoughts and feelings explode onto the page. So again, and I repeat. If dark themes like depression, suicide, existentialism, etc. trigger you, please don't read this. Thank you for taking the time to read this disclaimer, and if you're staying for the ride, thanks.

The Rules are standard Nuzlocke Rules with small personal changes:

1. Any fainted Pokemon shall be boxed, and released at the end of the run.
  2. Only the first Pokemon in any Route/Area can be caught.
    1. Locations with multiple mini-areas with changes in Pokemon encounters (I.E. Mt. Coronet) will count those as separate catches (For the Safari Zone, this is up to strictly 4 catches that are allowed).
    2. Legendaries can only be caught and used if they are the first Pokemon Encountered in that Route/Area.
    3. Dupes are not allowed unless your prior Pokemon has already died, this is to permit team diversity and prevent me from having an entire team of Bidoofs
      1. However, if you find an evolved form of a Pokemon you've already caught, that does count as a first encounter.
  3. All Pokemon must be nicknamed so as to form a deeper bond with all of them.
As for an update schedule:
The plan is to try and at the very least get one page per week. More than one page is always fine, but one page per week is the absolute minimum.

Anyways, without further ado.

Before anyone asks, no, my mother did not do anything like I made Johanna (that's her canonical name apparently) to me. She did often try to convince me to go into the IT field like her, but I just didn't vibe well with one of my college classes on the subject... or rather I didn't vibe with college in general. If anything all of the failure stuff that I blather on about is mostly self-ingrained stuff created from years of stress.

The opening battle is entirely based on the battle with Ruby and Gary near the end of Fire Red: Hard Mode. Initially, I had the concept of making this an homage to Ruby Hard Mode, but I decided against that for something more personal. I also tried to actually draw the stuff, but my drawing is even worse with a mouse than a pencil so I just went with what I know.

The uh, title page wasn't really inspired by anything in particular. I just figured that going along with the You're Not Special, a crowd of the same person walking would convey the message of being the same as everyone around you. Being mundane. Of course, the title itself is logically bullshit but try to think in the mindset of a person who sees no inherent value in themselves or the world around them. Everything looks and feels the same when everything is unpleasant.

As for the second page, I just wanted a way to convey the passing of time without using a box saying "10 years later". I just figured that would be too lazy. So instead I went with the effect of Lucas falling down through time.

The Gary sprite edit was relatively straight forward, though of course I couldn't get it to look completely one to one, but it's close enough to be passable in my eyes.

The Young Lucas sprite was a little more difficult, as the School Boy sprite has his hand over his face. It took a bit of editing to make it look the way it does.

The sprites of course can be used with no credit to me, I don't really care.

Anyways, I'll likely have the next page or two by either later this week or the next. See ya.

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
This reminds me a little of Pokemon False Red. Which if I remember is a hack all about shitting on the protagonist so this should be interesting

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I like how this setups Lucas' motivation, to be just like Red, no matter what

THKS

The Trainer behind Franklin.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ground, Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
Hopefully, this Lucas will do a better job trying to be like Red, unlike Rusty.

ACottontail

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Ouch, those are some pretty harsh words for Johanna to tell her son at such a young age. I feel like she could have at least lightened the blow a little bit until he got older. Though showing her speeches getting harsher and more real through the years could have dragged on. I feel like those words are going to stick with him in his obsession to be like Red gets stronger, and him hating himself for failing(nice reference to the original nuzlocke). Using the default sprite will be pretty powerful here, as I've seen many nuzcomics where the protagonist wears the cannon character's clothes. Making Lucas another one in a thousand. I swear if his team ends up being Chimchar, Starly, Budew and Shinx. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello. So, I managed to finish a set of three pages and figured I might as well post them now just so that my due dates can be on Thursday. It's just an easier day in the week for me to track, plus I figured these three pages would actually do a better job with really setting things up compared to the first two and a half.

But, before that, responses!

First, before I start I just want to say thank you all for your interest in this. It really does make my day.

This reminds me a little of Pokemon False Red. Which if I remember is a hack all about shitting on the protagonist so this should be interesting
Sounds like an interesting hack. I should probably give it a go at some point, I like those kind of subversive romhacks that critique the source material.

I'm going to be very interested in your thoughts after this update given how... Lucas really winds up being. At the same time though, I can fully see what you mean. It does feel like the start of a traditional underdog story. Whether it is one is up to you to decide.

Interesting. Let's see how he'll pan out after these years.
Indeed. After having such things said to him at such a young age, I can imagine it would drastically change him as a person.

Hopefully, this Lucas will do a better job trying to be like Red, unlike Rusty.
I haven't watched Pokemon Rusty, though doesn't he like... destroy the world or something like that? Yeah, hopefully Lucas won't go and do that. That would be terrifying.

Ouch, those are some pretty harsh words for Johanna to tell her son at such a young age. I feel like she could have at least lightened the blow a little bit until he got older. Though showing her speeches getting harsher and more real through the years could have dragged on. I feel like those words are going to stick with him in his obsession to be like Red gets stronger, and him hating himself for failing(nice reference to the original nuzlocke). Using the default sprite will be pretty powerful here, as I've seen many nuzcomics where the protagonist wears the cannon character's clothes. Making Lucas another one in a thousand. I swear if his team ends up being Chimchar, Starly, Budew and Shinx. I'm interested to see where this goes.
I think you will be legitimately surprised by how Lucas turns out.

Apologies for some of the shorter responses, I just don't want to spoil stuff before you read it. I'll be making spoiler responses in the Notes section.

And now for the update:

Well, it seems like those words hit Lucas really hard... and his mother seems to be perfectly fine after all this time. Yeah, Lucas is definitely not trying or wanting to be Red at this point. It's as if when his own mother spoke those words, she killed any and all hope and dreams he had. Certainly there's more to it than that, but regardless it appears like Lucas can't seem to move on.

As for Bart, I mean Barry, I really wanted to capture the raw energy of his character. If Lucas is meant to be a very depressed and apathetic individual, I figured I'd slightly ramp up Barry's positivity and activeness. I personally think it worked out, I also somewhat based him on a few of my IRL friends. I imagine though that there is definitely more to Barry than what can be seen at first glance.

I personally love the dynamic between Lucas and Barry here, honestly reminds me of the Pokémon Adventures Manga of Diamond & Pearl, just in reverse.

Overall I'd say I like the pacing of this comic far more than when I was writing the garbage heap that is "I Hate Hugh". This non-static panel format allows for far more creative scenes I'd say, and not spending all of my time focusing on smaller insignificant stuff is definitely for the best.

Now for the spoiler-ridden responses:

I'm actually glad you thought that, because I think that it makes the reality of Lucas being nothing more than a depressed deadbeat more impactful. He's fully given up on his dream and wants nothing to do with Pokemon or battling as a profession. He's become just another face in the crowd. Maybe he'll change, we'll just have to see.

Interesting. Let's see how he'll pan out after these years.
He definitely panned out alright, with a decades worth of regret on his mind.

Honestly, I find it more uneasy that Johanna is so much calmer now, yet Lucas seems to be completely down in the dumps. Now the kid hates the thought of even being a Pokémon Trainer. He truly has become, as you've said, another one in a thousand.

Anyways, that's it for now. Hope you enjoyed this update!

Last edited:

redninjapuffle

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Ironically, this wouldn't have happened if his mother wasn't a giant jerk

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
YOU FOOL! you thought I wouldn't notice the Kingdom Hearts reference! Which I just so happen to be playing through!

yeah...I actually decoded that entire rant...

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
This... may be one of the most amazing things I've seen in a while.

Overall, I'm greatly interested.

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Ironically, this wouldn't have happened if his mother wasn't a giant jerk
Indeed it wouldn't have, but she just muster up any kindness for her own child at that point in time. Maybe if she had more self control things would be different.

YOU FOOL! you thought I wouldn't notice the Kingdom Hearts reference! Which I just so happen to be playing through!

yeah...I actually decoded that entire rant...
More like Re:Coded, am I right? Either way I am impressed that you actually took the time to analyze the entirety of Barry's screeching to catch that reference.

This... may be one of the most amazing things I've seen in a while.

Overall, I'm greatly interested.
Thank you so much, this really means a lot to me. I hope you continue to enjoy it, and look forward to what's in store.

Since there's no major twist this time, I won't be spoilering the pages. So, here's pages 6 through 8!

So, let's get something out of the way, which is my own personal complaint about these three pages: Rowan.

There is no sprite in the game that has Rowan with his jacket on, and for some baffling reason there isn't any official artwork of him with his jacket off. This resulted in me being forced to reuse his official artwork over and over for the sake of consistency. I wanted to introduce him with his official artwork because that's what I've done with all of the other characters that I've introduced so far, but because I wanted to keep consistency I couldn't switch him to his in game sprite. This is a problem that'll be remedied after we meet Rowan at his lab, but it's still something that irks me here.

As for Piplup, if you thought me choosing Piplup was an intentional subversion... it ironically was not. I actually chose my starter based on my Trainer ID, essentially meaning that luck did the subverting for me. Why did I decide to give him a Cockney accent? I have no damned idea in all honesty. Maybe it's a subconscious decision based on the fact that Piplup's line is based on Emperor Penguins? I don't know.

I'd probably argue pages 3-5 were better than these three, but I also don't think they're bad. Either way, I showed a Pokémon in under 10 pages, automatically making this way better paced than I Hate Hugh, so there's that.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Same mistake twice? 👀 Rowan, do you have something to share with the class?

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Same mistake twice? 👀 Rowan, do you have something to share with the class?
I wonder what he did to immediately be put off by Lucas' eyes. I wouldn't imagine those thoughts being something someone would immediately think upon looking at a new face. Rowan's definitely hiding something.

Pages 9 through 11!

Phew, we finally got to the rival battle. This was the moment I've personally been waiting for. Biggest personal complaint here is my handling of Turtwig's shell. It's very... poorly done in my opinion. Luckily, I'll never have to manually draw it again since Barry rarely has him use the move after this initial fight. I definitely think the fight is rather kinetic, and I wanted it to appear animesque. There's dirt and blood, all the good stuff.

Also Turtwig is southern because I figured a soft-spoken southerner would contrast well with Barry's... Barryness.

For someone who really doesn't like Pokémon or Battling, Lucas seems to really be getting into this... He even seems to know some Pokémon facts... I wonder why?

Edit: Apparently the term for word "talking" with a Cockney accent is "Rabbit and Pork", so I changed it to "Scorbunny and Tepig". I really don't think people talk like this, but it does seem a little endearing to me at least.

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Ouch, it looks like Lucas's mom's words completely destroyed him on the inside. He used to love pokemon so much, but now it looks to really hurt him knowing that he'll never achieve his dream. Though Lucas does seem to get some enjoyment out of pokemon battles. I wonder if Lucas can find some enjoyment in life out of partaking in pokemon battles, even if he knows he'll never get famous. Though seeing as this is a nuzlocke someone dying would probably just make Lucas feel even worse than he does now. Seeing how Piplup can talk, assuming they're a long term team mate I can see an interesting dynamic building up between the two with how much time they'll spend together. Piplup slowly learning more about Lucas's internal struggle, and maybe Piplup has something they're hiding too.

Garnet

Wolfwalkers? Wolfwalkers.
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
"And within these past three years of being an adult... I have accomplished nothing of value." Felt that. Felt that in my bones lmao.
Yeah, Lucas is clearly going through it here. I imagine the fact that he's still living in that situation that got him to this point in the first place isn't helping at all - Hopefully taking this journey as a chance to get away from his mother and spend time with his Pokemon and other, more decent people will do him good. Even if he's not particularly interested in having anything to do with it at first :p

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
You know, in the games, the first rival battle is just a boring "spam Tackle" affair, but this format shows how even early-stage battles must translate into something exciting "in real life."

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
This is a really cool way of doing a comic! I'm looking forward to seeing how Lucas interacts with Cyrus (who I suspect might be the person Rowan was remembering when he looked at Lucas...)

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
I know I made a disclaimer at the start of this, but I want to make another one given the stuff brought up by this update specifically.

This update contains themes such as parental abandonment, emotional abuse, and the contemplation of suicide. If such themes make you uncomfortable, I recommend you skip this update.

I also want to state that if you or someone you know is going through serious depressive thoughts, emotional pain, or is contemplating suicide, that you should call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline (if you live in the US) at 1-800-273-8255 or if you live outside of the US here is a list of the various Suicide Prevention Lifelines around the world. Please do. Your life matters, and there are people who are willing to listen to you about what you're going through and how you're feeling.

Replies will be after the update proper.

The Rival Battle is over, and with that a bunch of new things have opened up. If you're wondering if I lost the in game battle, I did not. However, I wanted to write it as a loss for Lucas so that we could go deeper into how far gone he is emotionally. I'm not sure if I did those feelings justice, but I did the best that I could in conveying it. A lot of the dialogue between Lucas and Johanna as well as Lucas' monologuing are actually parts of real conversations/introspections that I have had. It's not pretty, but then again, that's not the point. I wanted to go all in on it though, to truly show what it's like to have such a warped self-perspective.

As for the stuff with Lucas' dad, I've never suffered parental abandonment personally, though I have had to deal with the aftermath of a divorce. Will we see Lucas' dad again? Maybe.

I think the update ending on Piplup leaving the Pokeball is an optimistic one personally. Someone who can hopefully talk down Lucas from his current state, we'll just have to see.

Thanks for reading.

Ouch, it looks like Lucas's mom's words completely destroyed him on the inside. He used to love pokemon so much, but now it looks to really hurt him knowing that he'll never achieve his dream. Though Lucas does seem to get some enjoyment out of pokemon battles. I wonder if Lucas can find some enjoyment in life out of partaking in pokemon battles, even if he knows he'll never get famous. Though seeing as this is a nuzlocke someone dying would probably just make Lucas feel even worse than he does now. Seeing how Piplup can talk, assuming they're a long term team mate I can see an interesting dynamic building up between the two with how much time they'll spend together. Piplup slowly learning more about Lucas's internal struggle, and maybe Piplup has something they're hiding too.
Her words definitely did a number on his heart, the poor kid. Likelihood is that it wasn't the only time she's said such things to him, and probably won't be the last either. He does seem to genuinely want to enjoy Pokémon battling, but losing seems to completely shatter him. I can't imagine what would happen if a Pokémon of his died. It'd probably break him completely. Hopefully you're right about Piplup, and that their presence can heal Lucas. We'll just have to see.

"And within these past three years of being an adult... I have accomplished nothing of value." Felt that. Felt that in my bones lmao.
Yeah, Lucas is clearly going through it here. I imagine the fact that he's still living in that situation that got him to this point in the first place isn't helping at all - Hopefully taking this journey as a chance to get away from his mother and spend time with his Pokemon and other, more decent people will do him good. Even if he's not particularly interested in having anything to do with it at first :p
I definitely agree with you. Lucas getting away from his mother will probably help him out a lot. I think her constant influence on him is honestly why he's become such a pessimistic person. At least he's got friends like Barry, and hopefully his Piplup as well. He'll definitely be hesitant at first though, years of living in that situation has likely conditioned him into being very resistant to new ideas.

You know, in the games, the first rival battle is just a boring "spam Tackle" affair, but this format shows how even early-stage battles must translate into something exciting "in real life."
That's kind of what I was going for. I mean, after all, they're still animals, and when animals fight things can get brutal even at a small scale. Blood is always gonna start flying when animals fight. I think making the fight more animesque also kind of helped with making the whole thing feel more dynamic.

This is a really cool way of doing a comic! I'm looking forward to seeing how Lucas interacts with Cyrus (who I suspect might be the person Rowan was remembering when he looked at Lucas...)
Thanks! I cannot wait until Cyrus enters the story. I think he and Lucas will have a lot of interesting conversations and what not. Who knows, you could wind up being right about Rowan's memory.

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I notice static when Lucas is recalling his memories. I feel like that static is Lucas's memories being distorted to be worse than what really happened. That loss, sending Lucas into a downwards spiral as it just gives him "evidence" of his own failures. Dinner at 3? Isn't that a bit early? Or is Johanna just guilt tripping Lucas(probably a guilt trip). I feel like you did a good job at showing Lucas's poor living situation and his downwards spiral. I wonder how the logistics of being a trainer is, because even if he quits the pokemon league before any of his pokemon die I wonder if he can find a better living situation away from home as a trainer. Piplup, I hope your good with talking down people.

redninjapuffle

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Wow...just wow...
I just hope Piplup can calm Lucas down before...it happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)