• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The promotional period for the 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has begun. Go shout from the rooftops about your favorite runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Fan Thread What's your Favorite rom hacks?

Thread Description
A thread to talk about fan created pokemon games we really enjoyed.

Azelf

Don't mind me...
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is too lazy too make any creative shit, and would sitting down like a sack of potatoes and play video games.
I haven't played a lot of rom hacks (only a few), but out of the few ones I've played, Crystal Clear is by far my favourite one. Not only is it surprisingly compatible with Gen 7 and Pokebank (if you hack your 3DS like I did), but it takes the gameplay of Gen 2 and turns it into an open-world game where I can take on any Gyms at any order I'd want. As a fan of open-world games (I'm unashamed to say that Skyrim is my favourite game. :yay:), this feels like the Pokemon game I never thought I would've wanted. Also the fact that you can catch all 251 Pokemon in Gen 2, including the event-exclusive ones, have a legal check for Mew to be transferred to Gen 7, a trade-back guy who would let you evolve Pokemon like Haunter and Porygon,Pokemon being able towalk with you in the overworld...It felt like this rom hack was nothing more but a fantasy until I've played it.

genderqueer gorehound

burger king foot lettuce
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Dragon
I maintain Scorched Earth as probably the most solid FireRed hack out there on the web right now. Only issue is that it was hosted on the old Nuzforums and I have no clue if the files are still available.

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
The only fangame I've tried is Omicron, which is a New Region game. The writing isn't always great, but the level curve is actually reasonable so there isn't an obnoxious amount of grinding.

antingaround

nicole
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
pretty chill, actually.
even if i wasn't doing an insurgence run right now.... i'd say it's between any drayano hack (we pretend fire red omega doesn't exist! it's a crime) and... well, insurgence. dray's difficulty hacks and pokemon buffs make the game fun and fresh, and insurgence is well... insurgence. lots of content.

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
I'm trying out a hack called pokemal, the premise of which is basically removing all the Pokemon and enlacing them with real, honest-to-god animals. It's currently in beta, and I'm only past the fourth gym, but I'm really liking it so far.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Pokemon Supernova Sun and Penumbra Moon from Dio vento still my favorite Pokemon hack until this day. Aside offering assortments of many Pokemon that couldn't be normally found in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon series, the challenge is INCREDIBLY REAL. Even if you are not doing a Nuzlocke challenge on it. Also if you loves to hunting Shiny mons through Masuda method, this hack makes the eggs hatch much faster, so I recommend ya to try it at least once.

Also...I like Pokemon Insurgence and Pokemon Clover too, as well.

War Anvil

Life is too short to be little.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Cool
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
I like your Sakurai, but not your players. Your players are so unlike your Sakurai.
Renegade Platinum is nuckin' futs - and I say that as a compliment.

You get hard but not entirely punishing boss fights that require you to strategize instead of just rolling over enemies with the right type, and every Pokémon in Gen 4 is readily available, making for a diverse experience for any Nuzlocker!

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
Dittoing any mentions of Pokemon Gaia. Every time I play it I just get astounded by the tremendous work put into it. Confident to call it the best Gen 3 based rom hack IMO. It's superb.

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
drayano games, especially the unova ones. the extra mons, buffs, and harder difficulty makes these rom hacks amazing to nuzlocke and play in general. would definitely recommend!

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Oh yeah, I've played every Drayano hack apart from *shudders* FireRed Omega. I'm excited for the BBVW2 and SGSS remakes!

Waweezer

Johto League Champion
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
Oh yeah, I've played every Drayano hack apart from *shudders* FireRed Omega. I'm excited for the BBVW2 and SGSS remakes!
I've played fire red omega, it's not that bad, but definitely not best, and yeah, I am pretty excited for redux, I literally just learned about it today after beating iris in bb2 today!

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
On the topic of fangames, I have to give an obligatory mention here to a non-Pokemon rom hack, but a Pokemon-styled fangame nonetheless, one styled in one. It's one I've done a run of on this very forum, and yep- it's absolutely the game you think it is if you've read my completed runs: Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Shard of Dreams. Namely because the game itself, while it does have some frustrating elements to it (most notably that the AI will always read your moves perfectly), is an absolutely great take on what a modern Touhou Puppet Play would be like.

Users who are viewing this thread