• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Advice What drives you away from a documented Nuzlocke?

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
this ghost tries hard to be cool, but ends up keysmashing about cute things anyway. they wish they could take on more work than they have time for.
This is an interesting thread! There's a lot mentioned here that I don't mind (coloured text, storyshots, even some grammar mistakes) but that's just personal taste. As someone who (very very briefly) tried to write a storyshot with characters and plot, I think it can be done but to do it well (which I don't think I did) is harder than it initially looks. Trying to work around screenshots, where characters are placed and weird game choices (the fangame i was working with had wild tonal shifts/was very dark even to start with, in what I now think was a badly executed way) can mean that you may feel quite restricted in terms of writing style and what to say. I don't want to put anyone off writing them or to say that it's all the games' fault if a storyshot run needs improvement. I do think though that it's worth weighing up which medium to do a run in very very carefully. Though of course, I've seen some very good and intriguing storyshots.

What honestly turns me away (though if I had the time and energy I would try to comment on as many runs as I could anyway) is when a run is set in a game and region that I don't know about, and the run does not explain or set the scene very well. This goes for any run in any genre, but especially commentary runs. This doesn't mean pages and pages of description are needed, but if a run leaps forward into a game I know nothing about - especially non-Pokemon games - then I will literally not be able to follow what's going on.

Last edited:

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
A weirdly specific thing I'm not a fan of: wedlockes that have two Pokémon instantly madly in love the minute they're paired. It's just not realistic, and I'm not just saying that because I don't believe in "love at first sight". IRL relationships (mostly) aren't like that-I'm pretty sure they have a slow buildup.

In fact, why does a wedlocke have to be love-centered at all? Can't the Pokémon just be good friends or have some other kind of relationship? I mean, I know it's called a "wed"locke, but I'd love to see it done in other ways.

(Note that I don't mind wedlockes in general, I just would love to see the topic explored in a unique way.)

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
In fact, why does a wedlocke have to be love-centered at all? Can't the Pokémon just be good friends or have some other kind of relationship? I mean, I know it's called a "wed"locke, but I'd love to see it done in other ways.
I have been considering doing a 'wed'locke that's not based on romantic attraction, but I've already got a long list of projects to work on, and that's not really very high on the list.

Tai-Wind

Don't call it a comeback
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Beautiful
ok this isn't an entire deal breaker necessarily but it definitely sours my view of the run and it's very hard to recover from it in my eyes; gary's raticate.
i see this a lot even in non-nuzlocke fandom circles and quite frankly i would prefer not to. i never liked the base urban legend to begin with for the record, but if a nuzlocke does it it tends to take me out of the story more than anything. i guess the term i'm looking for is "immersion breaking"; having the protag accidentally (or worse, on purpose) kill the rival's raticate just reminds me that this is a pokemon fanfiction i'm reading on the internet.. but the difference (in how to use a pokemon urban legend) between this and, say, the ending of the OG comic's fire red chapter where mew was literally in a truck at the end, is that mew in a truck was a throwaway comedy gag, whereas the rival's raticate dying ought to be a serious moment that either is played as a comedy gag, or if it's actually supposed to be a serious moment, like i said, breaks immersion. certainly doesn't have the intended effect of "shock value" or whatever the kids are using it for these days. that's not to say it can't be done well, and like i said it's not a complete turnoff; there's a comic currently running that pulled the trope and i genuinely enjoyed how it made the rival develop as a character and how it affected his relationship with the protagonist. but this is, from what i've seen, an avenue rarely explored among people who use this trope.

Swablu

:)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 3, 2020
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Something very specific for me is comic artists using the Unown font. I find it impossible to read, so I just gloss over the speech bubbles that contain it and hope the artist or someone in the comments has translated it down below. People tend to use it for mysterious visions or legendary pokemon dialect, which I get, but I wish they'd just use a different legible font, or the same one in a different colour or font weight or something. It's not a deal-breaker for me all the time but if I'm reading a comic with a lot of it using Unown font for important dialogue, I'm more likely to just stop in frustration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)