• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Want to get a banner into the adspace for yourself? Submissions for new banners are open until September 30th!
  • The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • This month's feature has an ANIMATED TRAILER and a backpack shaped like a spheal, what more could you ask for? Read Endurance: In Our Blood by purplechug!
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Movies Television What are you watching?

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
it's like music for your eyeballs

THKS

The Trainer Behind Franklin.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
The Santa Clause. One of the Christmas movies that I've grown up with, Tim Allen was great as Scott Calvin, a divorced single father who ends up becoming Santa Claus through a misunderstanding on the rooftops. Aside from the special effects regarding the reindeer, which sadly don't hold up today, there's not a whole lot I can pick apart about the movie. Tim Allen's believable performance made this Christmas movie work.

War Anvil

Life is too short to be little.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Cool
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
I like your Sakurai, but not your players. Your players are so unlike your Sakurai.
Enough movies thanks to my peer group, to the point that it's frankly a blur.

I do at least remember Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro and Olympus Has Fallen, as of late. The first one is just so charming and cozy, and the second one is a surreal yet poignant look at current affairs (Which aren't entirely appropriate for the Entertainment section so I won't go over them) through the framing of the next Die Hard.

Speaking of Lupin III: one YouTube Poop dragged me headlong into the first three episodes of L3rd The Second!

THKS

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Into the Wild.

Based on the tragic true story of Christan McCandless directed by Sean Penn, the movie is a well-crafted film about an outlook on what one would want out of life. Emile Hirsch is notably convincing in his role as the somewhat carefree lead character, who sets off to make a new name for himself in Alexander Supertramp. Along the way, he manages to meet some interesting people in his lifetime, including travelling hippie Jan Burress (Catherine Keener - Get Out), harvest worker Wayne Westerberg (Vince Vaughn - Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story), teenage guitarist Tracy Tatro (Kristen Stewart - Clouds of Sils Maria), and amateur leather worker Ron Franz (Hal Holbrook - All the President's Men).

Say what you will about the movie and how it all ends, but most of the actors do a great job overall, with a noted standout involving the late Hal Holbrook. For someone who was in his 80s when the film came out, he managed to share good chemistry with Emile Hirsch, and felt like a genuine inspiration to watch especially when Ron climbed the mountain after being playfully goaded by "Alexander".

If there was a way that I could sum up this movie, it would be this: You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll love.

THKS

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
It's Anzac Day, and I'm watching the 1981 war film Gallipoli. Mark Lee and Mel Gibson (whom you might know as the original Mad Max) star as Archy Hamilton and Frank Dunne, respectively; two track rivals who become friends as they enlist to serve Australia. While I have seen this movie plenty of times, Gallipoli never fails to tear me up, especially with the ending.

Notably, the movie also features Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene (Part 2) at least a handful of times when either Archy, Frank, or both, were running.

If you ever come across the movie, I implore you to watch it. Even after nearly 40 years, the movie remains powerful with energy and emotion. Peter Weir (Witness, Dead Poet's Society, The Truman Show) has certainly outdone himself as the director, and the cast was overall excellent and relatable.

Last edited:

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I watched Greenland while I was on vacation last week. I thought it was good, although I feel like the middle when it was more of a kidnapping drama ala Taken instead of an asteroid movie dragged a little too long, but it added emotional depth and it didn't ruin the movie by any means. And the cast were all solid, and most of them are coming back in the sequel (yeah, it's getting a sequel, which is rare for disaster movies).

I also got introduced to Black Mirror on vacation, and I really like it-it's a neat take on how technology could affect us if used wrong. So far my favorite episode is "Hated in the Nation"-it feels eerily topical with all the "cancel culture" nowadays, although obviously the episode is much darker than real life.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I just recently got into The Owl House, a show about a young teenage Luz as she travels into the boiling isles, where she stays with the owl lady Eda, who is a criminal, King, the best boy who acts all imposing when he is adorable. We also meet other characters like Willow, Gus, and Amity who spoilers
is professional Gay panic
. It is really good you need to check it out if you haven't already, season 1 is complete and the first 5 episodes of season 2 are coming to Disney plus mid-July

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Youtube recommendations somehow led me to watching both the live-action film and anime series versions of King's Game. The premise is pretty neat, especially in today's cell phone-dominated world: a high school class in Japan receives text messages from someone calling themselves "King" instructing them to follow various orders or face punishment. Initially, it starts out like a game of Truth or Dare (most of the initial orders literally sound like things you'd hear in ToD, albeit a mature version), until the class finds out that "punishment" = death (erased from existence in the film).

Both versions are pretty solid, although the anime makes a couple of strange choices regarding the game's origin and is somewhat gory compared to the film.

I also have been binging the hell out of Hell's Kitchen. It's so funny to see Gordon Ramsay utterly eviscerate people when they screw up, and at the same time that makes seeing him praise someone for doing well really nice. Although I do wonder how he hasn't blown a blood vessel given how mad he can get...
Season 20 just ended, and I was watching it live while binging the past seasons (up to season 10 now).

Also Survivor is back next week, so that'll be what I'm watching next. Thinking about checking out the Netflix version of Castlevania as well.

THKS

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Joker.

Say what you will about the movie, but there's no denying that Joaquin Phoenix was outstanding as Arthur Fleck; his performance in the origins of the Joker was what carried the movie and gives memorable Jokers like Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hammill and Heath Ledger a run for the money. The tale of tragedy for a man who has been beaten down by life itself is told in a heartbreaking way by director Todd Phillips (The Hangover trilogy), as the movie doesn't hold back any punches, and is willing to rope you into the psyche of a man who loses his job, questions what's real in his life and gets his sanity pushed to the brink. For a movie about the villain himself, it gets deeper than one might think.

Seeing the movie roughly two years later on Netflix after experiencing it for the first time in the cinema, I'm proud to say that Joker is just as good as I remember it, and I don't regret seeing it again for a second. I got what I deserved for a movie like this.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Netflix suggestions led me to binging most of Squid Game in one night. The premise seems innocuous: win a series of children's games and earn more than enough money to get out of crushing debt...until you find out losing a game = death.
Episode 6 is where things really get ugly. Up until then, most of the eliminated players are randos you know nothing about. But that changes fast in 6, and it's very emotional.
And the final twist at the end...my jaw was on the floor.

Memesy

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 8, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Decided to watch RWBY from the beginning, because the first time I saw it was through a friend's stream, and I might have not been paying that much attention (for shame) at times. It's really good, even if the animation is bit wonky at least at volume one. Def. recommending it.

THKS

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Just popped in It's a Wonderful Life, because it's been a Christmas Eve tradition of mine ever since I was in high school. Even after 75 years, this movie still has the spirit it first had and holds up today as one of, if not the best Christmas film of all time. This film has made me feel good every time I've watched it, because it shows how much a person could impact other's lives for the better, showing him the will to keep living. If you ever come across a copy of this film, even in the era that we're currently living in right now, just watch it, especially in the lead up to Christmas for the best effect.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Finally got the chance to sit down and start watching Castlevania. I'm about halfway through season 2 and it's so good. The animation is amazing, fight scenes are sick, and it even manages to be funny at times, which you wouldn't expect but adds some nice levity (the three main characters snark at each other so much). It also makes Dracula sympathetic to the point you almost root for him to kill off all of Europe because the people he's going after are such assholes.

I will note that it's quite gory, which I was expecting, although the extent of it surprised me-it's definitely not a series for the squeamish. But if you have a strong stomach, I'd definitely recommend it. You don't even have to know a lot about the games (all I knew about the series going in is from its representation in Smash Ultimate and some videos on Youtube).

RoseQuartz_18

Head Cheerleader, Homecoming Queen, PT Model
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2022
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Still trying to finish Assassination Classroom. Got to S2, but am not near the end yet bc it's kinda hard to concentrate with so much going on in the show. I don't wanna give up, tho.

LHarm07

Professional Shitposter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2022
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is too lazy to enter a proper entry.
On the Water 7 Arc of One Piece. It’s super long but it’s worth a watch if you have the time.

Creedance

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 28, 2022
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
He,They
Pokémon Type
  1. Ice
Got the complete series of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 87. Watched it a lot as a kid, have it on in the back ground. Good stuff, love the throwback vibes. Suppose to go see Top Gun this weekend, might go and see Thor instead

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
Without question, my favorite new show (been on Hulu for under a year, so it's still new) is Only Murders in the Building.

It's primarily because of the cast. Steve Martin and Martin Short are comedic GODS, and Selena Gomez was the best part of Wizards of Waverly Place. The show also has them play to their strengths. Steve is the straight man with a sarcastic edge, Martin is the uncompromising eccentric that's quick to make enemies, and Selena is the jerk with a heart of gold. Put the three of them together and you have quite possibly the greatest inter-generational friendship on TV.

The also makes the most out of the guest stars that appear on the show. Standouts include Jayne Houdyshell and Jackie Hoffman as two ratchedy old women that live in their apartment building, Tina Fey playing a vainglorious podcast celebrity that's unafraid to throw anybody under the bus, and Nathan Lane (one of my favorite actors of all time) as a man deeply intwined with Martin Short's character.

Lastly, the show is beautiful. The sets are vibrant, there's plenty of color, and it really shows just how beautiful New York City can be once the garbage and smog is stripped away. The opening credits are also beautifully animated.

With that said, I do have one problem with the show, and I'm leaving it in the spoiler tag because it's about the current season. Season Two hasn't finished airing yet, so there's still a chance that I'm wrong, but I still want to leave it in a spoiler in case nobody interested doesn't accidentally learn something important about the story.

I think the end-credits gave away the identity of Bunny's killer. Twice I've seen a certain actor credited for their performance in an episode, and twice I fail to recall which scene that person was in. The only scene that actor could've been in...was as the masked killer that killed Bunny made their retreat.

It could've been done intentionally to try and throw viewers like me off of our track...but I haven't seen this character be brought up as a suspect yet and I do see a motive this character would have to kill her. I hope I'm wrong...but I'm not sure if I am.

Anyways, go watch Only Murders! It's great!

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
I recently started watching Fuller House since the original Full House was a show I grew up with and I was curious if the newer version was as good. I'd say it is, maybe even slightly better since it's allowed to be a little raunchier than the original since it's on Netflix instead of network TV. I thought it was cool that nearly all of the original cast returned, and it's a nice bit of nostalgia.

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
Just caught Bullet Train, and honestly, it's a classic. One of the best movies I've seen in some time. Reminds me of The Usual Suspects on a train, if Tarantino directed it (he did not, but it was epic all the same). The action was there, the comedic moments were there, but the plot was what drew me in and got me invested in the characters.

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Bleach with my brother. We're on the Arrancar Saga now.
Excellent choice, enjoy!

I'm on a nostalgia kick here with what I was allowed to watch after 9pm on a school night if I'd been a good little Mewstein:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread