• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Unova Written Log Commentary Mon Walking to Yggdrasil- A Pokemon Black Nuzlocke

which fossil pokemon should I choose?

• Tirtouga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archen

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Description
A traditional Nuzlocke run with mythological nicknames! Read along as I try, and most likely struggle, to complete Pokémon Black!

PsyduckEnthusiast

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
a person who is very enthusiastic about the pokemon Psyduck, primarily because their first ever shiny was a psyduck, which they caught in their past.
Why hello there viewer, and welcome to my first post on this forum! Below this statement you will find a contents page (providing I can figure out how it works 🤣) where I will put all my updates on how this Nuzlocke of mine unfolds.

Chapter 1 (You are here right now!)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Ok, now let's briefly go over the rules of this adventure so that we're all on the same page:

Rule #1: If a Pokémon dies, it is considered dead and must be put in the designated "DED" box. (and no, that's not a spelling error, I named the box "DED")
Rule #2: I can only catch the first Pokémon I encounter on a route. The only exceptions are if I've caught the Pokémon on a previous route, or if the Pokémon is shiny.
Rule #3: All caught Pokémon must receive a nickname. As an additional stipulation, the nicknames must be taken from some form of mythology (eg: Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Japanese, etc.). I will try and take names from a variety of different myths and legends, and feel free to suggest names of your own as well in the comments.
Rule #4: the run is considered "complete" when I have beaten the Unova champion. This does mean that the run will continue even after the game has technically "ended" in terms of the main story.
Rule 5#: If all the Pokémon in my party die, it's game over.

So, without further ado, let us begin on our journey through Pokémon Black...

So the game opens up, and immediately I'm given the option to choose my starter. If I'm lucky, this Pokémon will be with me for the entire journey. However, it's also entirely possible that they get immediately murdered by the Unova equivalent of Youngster Joey, so I'm somewhat conflicted on which starter I should go with. After a few minutes of thinking, I decide to go with the lil' Samurai boi, Oshawott. After spending another few minutes googling several different mythological figures, I also decide on his nickname: Hachiman, named after the god of war in Japanese mythology. It seemed fitting, considering Pokémon's Japanese origin, and I figured that naming the "samurai otter" Pokémon after a God of war was pretty clever (it probably isn't that clever, but still).

Anyway, after choosing Hachiman as my (hopefully) loyal companion, I begin my first fight against my two rivals: Bianca and Cheren, who have a Tepig and Snivy respectively. I deal with both trainers without too much trouble, and after a brief cutscene, I get the chance to take a look at my starter's stats. Hachiman has the Torrent ability, which "powers up water type moves in a pinch", so pretty self explanatory. He also has a naïve nature, which gives a boost to speed and hinders his special defence. I have no idea how much his nature will affect anything, but hopefully he'll be able to outspeed the other Pokémon he comes across.

After going downstairs, speaking to mum and exiting my house, I go and initiate the cutscene with Bianca and her overprotective father, then head to professor Juniper's house. Here, I can officially nickname my starter Hachiman, and I get a pokedex, which probably won't be that useful as I won't be "catching 'em all" but it's nice to have regardless. I also get the Unova map from mum, and after going to route 1 and being forced to watch the tutorial for catching Pokémon, I wander into the tall grass to find my next companion: a level 3 Lillipup, who is also male. I capture it without much of a fuss, and after once again turning to google for another mythological name, I decide to draw from Norse mythology, and name him Garmr, who is a wolf/dog who is usually associated with Ragnarok and Hel, and seems to be similar or identical to Fenrir, another wolf from Norse mythology. I did consider naming my new companion Fenrir, but I just didn't think it was the right fit. Maybe at a later point down the line I'll find a companion to use that name on...

anyway, it's stat time: Garmr has the vital spirit ability, which prevents him from falling asleep, which is something I can definitely make use of, and has a Lax nature, giving him a boost in defence but hinders his special defence. Overall, I'd say he's a good first companion for this journey.

So, I fight my way through route 1, dispatching the trainers with basically no issues, and I also took the time to train Garmr up a little bit so he wouldn't fall too far behind Hachiman. I also retreated to my house a few times for the free heal, just to be on the safe side. I reach the end of route 1, and after comparing our Pokedex entries, it turns out both my rivals also only caught 1 other Pokémon. I would make a joke about how "they're also doing a nuzlocke" but since their starters keep coming back in my fights against them, if they're doing a nuzlocke run they're definitely cheating the rules a bit. 🤣

Once I enter Accumula town and go through yet another tutorial on how Pokémon centres work, I buy a couple of extra pokeballs and some potions, and then step outside to encounter Team Plasma for the first time. After their leader, Ghetsis, makes a speech about how wrong it is that Pokemon are kept in pokeballs or something, they leave, and I have my first battle with the mysterious guy called N who definitely seems associated with Team Plasma. He only has a level 7 purrloin, so Garmr and Hachiman dispatch him without much effort. N runs off and after a brief bit of exploring around the town, I decide to move on to route 2. It's here that I meet my third companion: Bastet, a male level 5 purrloin named after an Egyptian goddess who has a cat head. It is worth mentioning that upon catching Bastet, I thought it was female, hence the name. Clearly I wasn't paying enough attention. Still, Bastet joins the party with the Limber ability, which protects them from paralysis, and a careful nature, which boosts special defence but hinders special attack.

After travelling through route 2, which posed very little threat, I take on Bianca for the second time, and after beating her with relative ease, I move on to Striaton city, and after entering the trainer school, I find and battle Cheren for the second time. Again, this fight was relatively uneventful, as Garmr was able to beat his entire team without much issue thanks to having learnt Bite at level 8. After leaving the trainer school and heading for the gym, I'm told about going to the dreamyard to train for the gym, and since I've played this game before, I'm also aware that an NPC in the dreamyard will be able to give me a new companion. So, I enter the dreamyard, where I make quick work of the two trainers there and I receive a level 10 male Pansear, who is promptly nicknamed Kikazaru, who is one of the 3 wise monekys, specifically the "hear no evil" monkey, who was the inspiration for Pansear, so i figured it was fitting. Kikazaru, who I will henceforth refer to as Kika to make things easier, has the gluttony ability, which encourages the early use of a berry, and a serious nature, which doesn't give any boosts or negators.

Against my better judgement, I decide that my team, which is mostly around levels 10-12 at this point, should be capable of taking down the first gym. So, I wander on in, with Bastet as the leader as he could do with some experience, and I defeat the first trainer with no problem. And then I get to the second trainer, Waitress Tia. This is where things become... difficult.

As I attack Tia's patrat with Bastet, she decides to use bide, which for those of you who don't know, lets her patrat build energy for a turn before attacking on the turn after. I figured, "eh, it can't be that bad, I'll leave Bastet on" and I'll just keep doing some damage to it". Oh, how wrong I was. the attack turn rolls around, and the Patrat strikes, which KO's Bastet within seconds. Just like that, I have lost my first Pokémon. I send in Garmr, who is able to dispatch the patrat within 2 turns thanks to bite, and the rest of Tia's team doesn't pose much of a threat, but the damage has been done. Admittedly, it could have been a lot worse, and I'd rather Bastet die than someone else, but the death still stings. I place Bastet in the designated "DED" box, and continue onwards to Cilan.

With this fight, I primarily use the newest member of the team, Kika, who at level 11 is a tad underprepared, but with a little help from Garmr and Hachiman, as well as a few potions, I'm able to defeat Cilan and win my first badge. 🎉

After leaving the gym, I meet up with Professor Fennel, and I acquire the HM for Cut, which allows me to access the next section of the dreamyard. I decide to teach Hachiman cut, and after clearing the tree out of the way, I encounter team plasma for the second time, this time for an actual battle with 2 grunts. Hachiman and Garmr are able to dispatch their pokemon without any issues, and after being reprimanded by "Ghetsis", the grunts flee. I also encounter a Munna and Musharna, although unfortionately this was just for the cutscene, as when I found my encounter for the dreamyard, I was met by a level 8 female Patrat. I decided to name her "Medea" after a sorceress from Greek mythology, because frankly I wasn't entirely sure what to call her. In terms of stats, Medea has keen eye which prevents accuracy from being lowered, and a quirky nature, which doesn't give boosts or negators. Oh, and she has bide. So hopefully I can put the attack that killed Bastet to use on my own team.

As of right now, that's about as far as I've gone. The last thing I did was go to Fennel's place and got the C gear, as well as a pal pad, which I probably won't use but again, it's nice to have them regardless. So, to close things off, I will include a summary of my Pokemon Level wise:

Team:
Hachiman: Level 12
Kikazaru (Kika): Level 12
Garmr: Level 12
Medea: Level 8

Bench:
N/A

DED (RIP):
Bastet, died at Level 10

Thank you for reading this chapter of the Nuzlocke, I hope you enjoyed, and if you have any name suggestions based on mythological figures, feel free to comment them below. Who knows, I may end up using them?

Anyway, I'll see you in Chapter 2! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
a person who is very enthusiastic about the pokemon Psyduck, primarily because their first ever shiny was a psyduck, which they caught in their past.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello again viewer, I have returned for Chapter 2 of the Nuzlocke! As promised, I have figured out how to include links to the different chapters, and I've also learned how to format the run a little better thanks to the spoiler function, so hopefully this post should operate a little smoother compared to the first one. Anyway, here is the current table of contents:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2 (you are here now!)
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Without further ado, lets begin with Chapter 2!

So, when I last left things off, I had just received the C gear from Fennel, as well as a new companion in the form of Medea, a Patrat. Since she was at level 8, I took the time to do a bit of levelling in the dreamyard, and levelled her up to level 12, which meant she learned detect during the process.

So, I exit Striaton city and walk up to route 3, and encounter the daycare, which is my first stop on the journey. Unfortunately for me, unlike in previous games where the daycare gives you an egg, Route 3's daycare gave me diddly squat, so I promptly left the daycare, probably for the first and last time, and proceeded to the play area to my left, where several young Pokémon trainers were ready to battle me with their pokemon.

To start with, Nursery aide Autumn provided no real challenge. Garmr being the good boi that he is sweeped her entire team without any issues. Plus he went up a level. Wonderful start.

Preschooler Wendy: admittedly this one was quite the surprise for me, as lil' Wendy had managed to acquire a Pansear. Considering this girl must have been no older than 7 or 8, I have no idea where she found it, but Hachiman defeated them with a couple of water guns, so nothing further to add there.

Preschooler's Doyle and Tully were pretty similar, having a panpour and pansage respectively. However, using Hachiman against Doyle and Kika against Tully made both fights relatively easy. Hachiman also levelled up and learned focus energy, so I forgot water sport (because tbh I don't think it's that useful) and carried on.

Finally, the last trainer in the daycare section of Route 3 were the twins, Kumi and Amy. They sent out two purrloins, so with the team of Kika and Medea, I was able to defeat them with very little issue.

So, after fighting my way through the daycare and likely ruining the dreams of all those poor children, I advanced into Route 3 proper where I was once again stopped by Cheren, who challenged me to yet another battle. He opened the fight with his most powerful pokemon: a level 14 Snivy. This did scare me a little at first, but Kika was able to take care of it with surprising ease, considering he was 2 levels below them. He also took this time to learn fury swipes, which will be incredibly useful for catching pokemon, assuming Kika doesn't die along the way. Cheren's final pokemon was a level 12 purrloin, for which I decided to send in Medea, who essentially just tackled it to death without issue.

After the battle, it's time for the next encounter with Team Plasma as they speed past me, quickly followed by Bianca and a random NPC, who explain that Plasma stole the NPC's pokemon, because it's not a pokemon evil team if they don't steal a pokemon at some point, and ran off to the cave in Route 3. However, as Cheren run on after them, I decide to pop into the tall grass and secure my next encounter:

I find myself a level 8 female Pidove, and after catching it I promptly decide to name her Muninn, who is a raven from Norse mythology who serves Odin and basically flies around the world gathering information for him. Muninn came with the big pecks ability, which prevents its defence from being lowered, and a calm nature, which boosts its special defence and hinders its attack. Not bad.

You may be wondering why I inserted a seemingly random spoiler at this point in the post. Allow me to explain.

After catching Muninn, I took the time to train her up in the tall grass, and at one point I encountered a patrat. A patrat which knew bide. I think you can see where this is going.

In another blunder on my part, I swapped into Medea, thinking that Medea could probably tank the hit considering it was a higher level, but nope. Instant KO. Bide has struck my party again, and I paid the price for my foolishness. I swapped into Garmr to finish it off, but the damage was done. On this day, I made myself a promise: if I encountered a Patrat or Watchog, I would either kill it immediately or run for my life.

And thus, a second pokemon was lowered into the DED box. RIP Medea.

After training up Muninn to about level 10, I decided to take on Breeder Adelaide, who started with a Patrat, insert Vietnam flashback here and I swapped to Garmr who promptly killed it. Next up was a Lillipup, who Muninn dispatched with ease, and even levelled up to level 11 in the process, which was nice.

Onwards into Wellspring cave, and right before I walked into the Plasma fight I was interrupted by an encounter: a level 10 Roggenrola. Interesting. After promptly catching it, I named him Baldr, mostly because I couldn't resist the pun. Baldr is a god in Norse mythology who was known to be mostly immune from harm, but in a scheme concocted by everyone's favourite Norse trickster, Loki, he was killed by mistletoe, of all things. Still, Baldr has the sturdy ability and a Bashful nature (a pokemon after my own heart, it seems) which gives no boosts or negators to stats.

Anyway, on to team Plasma. The first grunt sends out a level 12 nightmare patrat, so I swap in Hachiman and drench it with water before it can unleash the horrors of bide on my team again. Then the second plasma fight begins, now with an added plasma grunt and an added patrat. I'm jumping for joy.

Luckily, I have a competent double battle partner in Cheren, who sends out his level 14 Snivy whilst I send out my own starter. In the first turn, one patrat faints immediately (serves him right) and the two of us make quick work of the final patrat, with Hachiman levelling up to level 14 in the process.

After the plasma goons run away, because that's another staple of pokemon evil teams, I return to Bianca and the NPC, and get some heal balls for my troubles. nice. Now it's time to fight my way through the last section of route 3. Here we go.

School kid Al is the first opponent, who sends out a blitzle. The new team member, Baldr, takes them on without any trouble though, and I decided to take the time to level baldr to level 12 whilst I was here in Route 3.

Next up is school kid Marsha who uses a woobat. I once again send out Baldr, but Garmr subs in later on to land the killing blow, which sees him level up to level 14.

School kid Gina is next, and she opens with a patrat (WHY), who is promptly killed by Baldr who becomes level 13 in the process. Purrloin comes out next, and I decide to swap into Muninn to kill it and gain her some experience.

Finally, we face school kid Edgar, who starts with a pidove. I use Muninn to fight it off, and since the second pokemon is a roggenrola, I swap in Hachiman to finish the job.

So, after taking on the trainers, I proceed into Nacrene city, and I promptly encounter Cheren, who gives me some chesto berries. I head up to the pokemon centre and decide to stock up on potions after using a few up during my adventure through route 3.

And with that, I think I'll leave it there for today. Let's wind things down with an update on the squad and how everyone is doing level wise:
Team:
Hachiman, Level 14
Garmr, Level 14
Kikazaru (Kika), Level 13
Muninn, Level 14
Baldr, Level 13

Bench:
N/A

DED (RIP):
Bastet, died at Level 10
Medea, died at Level 12

Thank you all for reading, and as I've said previously, feel free to comment any mythological name suggestions you come up with. Also, feel free to comment with your thoughts on how this is all going. I am pretty new to this so I'm open to criticism in order to improve this nuzlocke run! So, with that being said, I'll see you all in chapter 3! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Why hello viewer, nice to see you again!

So, funny story. This is the second time I've written this chapter log, as I completely finished it earlier but then i quite literally lost everything. It sucks, sure, but I did make notes during my game for chapter 3 so I've still got all the important stuff written down, so its not all bad. Another point is that after experimenting with different ways of logging trainer battles in both chapters 1&2, I'm going to be more brief with trainer battles unless something significant happens in them, so let me know what you think about the format. Anyway, enough of my complaining, lets get into Chapter 3, starting with, of course, the contents page:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Without further delay, lets begin the log of Chapter 3!
So, following on from chapter 2, where I had just arrived in Nacrene city, I decided to head to pinwheel forest to train up for Lenora's gym, which I felt would be quite the challenge. So, I headed to pinwheel forest in order to fight the trainers there and gain a few additional levels. After beating the nurse guarding the entrance to the trainer area, and unlocking a mini healing NPC in the process, I was ready for my Pinwheel forest encounter...

So, I stepped into the tall grass, and the pokemon I encountered was a level 15 male Tympole. Interesting.

After capturing the lil' guy, I decided to name him Theseus, after a hero in Greek mythology who was occasionally referred to as the son of Poseidon, which I felt was fitting for a water pokemon. Also, he's well known for being the guy that killed the minotaur that one time. Theseus has the hydration ability and for the second time in a row has the bashful nature, which is fine by me. However, after mulling it over, I decided that since Hachiman is probably a better water type, at least for now, and the Tympole line doesn't have many ground type moves, I should bench Theseus as a backup option. So, that's what I did. Hopefully, we'll never need him as I'd hate to lose Hachiman in this run.

After that, I jumped into the Pinwheel forest trainer battles, and grinded up a few levels for my team. In particular, after receiving rock smash when I first entered the forest, I decided that I would primarily use Baldr during Lenora's gym, as he was likely strong enough to tank their hits and plus giving him rock smash meant he could deal out damage fairly well too. A few things happened during this time, which I'll briefly sum up: Baldr nearly died due to a Timburr crit, Garmr became the first pokemon to evolve, as he evolved into Herdier and inherited the intimidate ability, Muninn got confused and hit itself 3 times in a row, Baldr learned rock blast, Muninn learned air cutter and everyone ended up at around level 15-16.

So, I decided that it was about time that I headed for the gym, but not before I faced N, and aside from Hachiman struggling to deal damage to a tympole, it was fairly uneventful. N leaves at this point, muttering something about the mythical pokemon Zekrom. I'm sure that's not important, and won't come up later.

I entered the gym, got shown around the museum section by Lenora's husband, who never receives a name, at least not from what I saw, and I prepared myself for the potential horrors that may await me in Lenora's gym. It's time to see how this goes.

The opening trainer fight was nothing special, except for the fact that satan patrat keeps showing up as an opponent, and I'm very much sick of it by this point all things considered. After navigating around the gym puzzle, and failing at least twice, I beat the second trainer without issue and got ready to face the third trainer, School kid Lydia. This battle was notable because during it, Baldr was flinched 3 times in a row due to lillipup spamming bite, but other than that it wasn't very eventful. Hachiman reached level 17 and evolved into Dewott, which was pretty cool. After taking the time to heal up, I took my level 18 Baldr and entered Lenora's chamber.

This gym fight had me worried before it began, to be honest. Lenora's main pokemon is a watchogg, and as the final evolution of the hellspawn patrat, it is a pain to deal with. Watchogg has retaliate, which has the potential to do serious damage to my team. With that in mind, the fight begins and Baldr takes on Lenora's herdier, which goes relatively smoothly, but the herdier continuously uses leer, which had me even more worried as Watchogg entered the fight. I decided to make use of baldr's sand attack to lower Watchogg's accuracy as a way of lowering the chance of it killing Baldr, which seemed to be going well at first, but watchogg's use of further leers did make me nervous as to whether Baldr could take a hit. I persisted onwards, and Baldr ended up being put to sleep twice during the fight, but thanks to a spare awakening and my chesto berries (thanks for those, Cheren) this didn't pose too big of a threat. However, the fight was not yet over. Watchogg attacked Baldr with crunch...

And Baldr barely survives.

His health went from green to red which had me absolutely terrified, but after healing and heaping on more sand attacks, watchogg was significantly weaker than at the start of the fight. I continuously spammed rock smash at this point, whilst Baldr consistently dodged and weaved past any attempt of retaliation from Watchogg. Finally, after about 4 turns, the Watchogg fell, which was cause for celebration. I had conquered the second gym without a single casualty. Baldr levelled up to level 19, which was nice, and after receiving the gym badge I also got the retaliate TM, which could be useful if I decide to use it.

After the gym battle, Lenora's still unnamed husband bursts in muttering about team plasma, and upon exiting the gym, I find a load of team plasma grunts in the museum, and I stand there like an idiot whilst they somehow nick the dragonite skull which was on display before disappearing. After exiting the gym to go after them, I bump into Burgh, who is a gym leader I'll end up battling later on down the line, and Bianca and Cheren decide to show up at this exact moment as well, how convenient. I get given a dowsing machine from Bianca, who says its from Fennel (remember her? I don't) and then after healing my team I set off after the Plasma grunts.

Upon entering the depths of pinwheel forest, it's worth mentioning that unfortunately, despite having different encounters to the outside of the forest, it is still technically the same area, so I'm not allowed an encounter. :(

Still, I manage to fight my way through the gauntlet of trainers that inhabit the forest, as I fight a Herdier who ends up dying due to recoil from takedown, 2 patrats (2 patrats too many, in my opinion), and about 4 Plasma grunts before I'm given the dragonite skull. I also meet someone called Gorm, who mentions they are one of the seven sages along with Ghetsis, who showed up earlier in the game. I give the skull back to Lenora, Burgh leaves to go back to his gym and we continue on our journey.

I clear up the remaining fights in the forest and take a quick detour back to Nacrene to heal and buy more potions, and then I head for Skyarrow bridge, which still looks fairly pretty despite being about 10 years old by this point.

After crossing the bridge and reaching the capital city (I assume), Castelia city, I decide I'm going to end this chapter by getting my route 4 encounter and training my team up a bit more. How did it go? Let's find out.

Upon emerging in Route 4, I step into the... deep sand, I think, for my encounter, with Garmr in the lead to whittle it's health down. The encounter turns out to be a level 17 male darumaka, which is pretty good. I tell Garmr to use bite on Darumaka, and it doesn't do a massive amount of damage, but its enough.

And then Darumaka strikes.

In one move, Darumaka hits Garmr with a critical hit fire fang which obliterates his health bar and kills Garmr before I can even register what is happening.

Garmr, the first pokemon I caught on route 1, who has been a loyal companion and a personal favourite of mine so far in the Nuzlocke, has just been obliterated by a pokemon I was trying to catch.

I swap in Hachiman to try and avoid another KO, and after whittling down it's health, I'm able to capture the darumaka. I decide to name him Ra, after the Egyptian sun god, a name which seemed to suit him, at least in my opinion.

I checked his stats. He has the hustle ability, and for the third time in a row, a bashful nature. But all I can think about is the fact that Ra essentially murdered one of my team members before taking up their place. No matter how good Ra may end up becoming, the blood of Garmr is on his hands. And I don't think I'm going to be forgetting that anytime soon.

Garmr's death hit me pretty hard, as you can probably tell. But the only thing to do now is to drop him into the DED box and move on.

RIP Garmr. You will be missed
After the route 4 encounter, I decided that since Ra's addition, I would probably bench Kika due to Ra being a much better fire type, at least in my opinion. I trained Ra and the rest of the team up to level 20 in the Pinwheel forest and in the first bit of deep sand in route 4 in preparation for the fight against Burgh. And with that, I'll end this chapter here. Below, as usual, you'll find the current roster of Pokemon:
Team:
Hachiman, Level 20
Muginn, Level 20
Baldr, Level 20
Ra, Level 20

Bench:
Theseus, Level 15
Kikazaru, Level 18.

DED (RIP):
Bastet, died at Level 10
Medea, died at Level 12
Garmr, died at Level 18
Thank you all for reading, don't forget to comment if you have any thoughts, ideas on how to improve and any mythological names for the pokemon, and I'll see you in chapter 4! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Howdy viewer!

I'm back, and with a quick update based on my update schedule. I'm going to try and put up at least once a day, possibly more if I'm feeling up to it. If that changes at any point, I'll be sure to let you know! Lets start of with the contents page:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
And, without further ado, let's proceed with chapter 4!
So, when I last left things off, the entire team were at level 20 and I was prepared to face Burgh's gym with the new addition of Garmr's killer, Ra (and no, I'm not going to forget that anytime soon). However, before we do that, I have a few other things to do in Castelia city.

First of all, I did the dancers side quest, where you have to track down and battle 3 dancers. Overall there's not much to report here, Ra absolutely obliterates the first dancer's pansage, and Hachiman took down the panpour and pansear dancers in a similar fashion. After doing this, I also jumped in line for an ice cream. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this, but I got a casteliacone, which basically acts as a full heal, so that's nice.

After having a bit of a wander around the city I locate the gym and attempt to go inside, but Cheren suddenly bursts out, brags about how he's already beaten Burgh and then leaves. Burgh comes out soon after and tells me to follow him because team plasma are up to no good. Again.

I follow him down to one of the piers, where I find Bianca, and a new character, Iris. Hmm, I wonder if she'll be important later in the story...

Anyway, it turns out team plasma have stolen yet another pokemon, although this time it was Bianca's munna, so it makes slightly more sense than stealing a random little girl's pokemon like they did back in route 3. Burgh runs off and after spending a good few minutes looking for where Burgh went, I find a group of plasma grunts outside a building, which rather conveniently is outside the gym, which makes me wonder why I had to make a detour to the pier in the first place.

Anyway, the guards at the door attempt to stop me from going in, but as usual they fail miserably, so me and Burgh go in, closely followed by Iris and Bianca, who have also shown up. Inside, to my surprise, we find Ghetsis, along with what I assume are 2 other sages. I don't catch one of their names but the other, Bronius, seem to be different from the sage I met back in pinwheel forest. anyway, after talking cryptically about how they want to change the world, plus a bit of philosophical debate between Burgh and Ghestis, team Plasma willingly give Bianca's munna back and then smoke bomb out of there. I also randomly get given a yache berry, which is nice... I think?

But, now that the plasma plotline is out of the way for the time being, lets challenge Burgh's gym and see if we can achieve our third badge!

So, Burgh's gym, in all honesty, seems pretty simple trainer wise. He's a bug type trainer, and with the recent inclusion of Ra to the team, any and all bug types will get absolutely obliterated by a 1 hit fire fang. And, to be fair, that's mostly what happened. I would start mons like Muninn who could do with some extra xp before swapping into Ra and triggering what I will now refer to as "the 1 hit wonder" in which he obliterates whatever was previously standing there. In terms of the pre-gym leader stuff, I had more issue navigating the honey covered puzzle area than with fighting the trainers. The only real issue I came up against was dwebble, who's bug rock typing had the potential to cause problems if it knew rock type moves. However, even then I could just switch into Hachiman and, since water is supereffective against rock types, just one shot them with razor shell. Although, one exciting thing did occur during the pre-battle run: Muninn evolved into a Tranquill

Upon reaching Burgh himself, things weren't much different, as his first pokemon, whirlipede, was swiftly subjected to the 1 hit wonder before I swapped into Hachiman to take down Burgh's dwebble. Finally, when he brought out his ace pokemon, Leavanny, the only thing which delayed Ra's one hit wonder was it's repeated use of protect, but eventually Ra got an opening and wiped them out in one hit.

I feel like this gym may have been a little bit harder if Kika was still the only fire type we had, but with Ra this gym was nothing more than an opportunity to get some more xp. No casualties were involved, and I left the gym with my 3rd gym badge and struggle bug, so if I ever end up catching a bug type that may come in handy.
After exiting the gym, I get a call on my smartwatch (I know it has another name but it's basically the same thing) from Bianca who challenges me to a battle at the gate to route 4. Before I do that however, I figure now would be a great time to head to the battle company and get hold of an xp share, an item which will hopefully come in handy when training up my pokemon.

It's worth mentioning that the majority of the battles were relatively uneventful here. My team were fairly powerful level wise for this point in the game, and whilst I wouldn't say my team is massively overlevelled, they've become a fair bit more powerful than the level of pokemon these trainers are currently using. To summarise, during the battle company the following standout things occurred:
Ra didn't really do anything, since he was now the most powerful pokemon on my team so having him fight and take xp from the others wasn't fair.
I ended up reminiscing about Garmr again when fighting a munna, as now I don't have a dark type move to combat it like I used to. (RIP Garmr)
Baldr was an absolute legend as whilst fighting the same munna, his rock blast got 5 hits in which knocked it out in one turn.
There was a trainer with all 3 monkey brothers, and frankly I'm baffled that so many trainers have them since they're not in the wild from what I've seen.
the janitor was the chairman the whole time, and he even had 2 pokemon I hadn't fought before. Still beat him though.

So, after grabbing the xp share and healing my team at the pokecentre, I headed off to accept Bianca's challenge at the gate to route 4. I've also distributed a few items amongst my team, with Baldr being given the xp share for the time being whilst he levels up to be on par with the rest of the team, Hachiman got a scope lens and an amulet coin for Ra. Because why not.

The rival fight was Bianca went about as smoothly as you'd expect at this point. Baldr KO'd her Herdier, Pansage got a taste of the 1 hit wonder from Ra, Baldr was able to take out munna similarly to his actions in the battle company, and Hachiman was able to crit KO Bianca's starter, which by this point had evolved into a pignite.

After the fight, Bianca talks about how her outlook has changed, or something along those lines, and then leaves. Since by this point Baldr is on par with the rest of the team at about level 23, I swap the xp share for the quick claw, which will hopefully help Baldr out with his pretty bad speed stat. Upon entering route 4, I find that Cheren is up ahead waiting for us, because of course he is. Unsurprisingly, he wants his turn at trying to beat me in a battle, but the fight with his pokemon is relatively uneventful. Like Bianca, his snivy has evolved into Servine, and to be fair since I don't really have a proper counter for water types, his panpour takes a little bit longer to KO than the rest of his team. Still, I walk away victorious, and Cheren leaves, I imagine to go and sob about how he cannot seem to beat me before coming back to have another go.

Back in route 4, I notice a side area to my left which I didn't notice before, which has a house with a healing NPC inside, which is fairly useful. I also stumble across a lake, which is ironic considering we're in a desert area, and after fighting 2 fishermen who seem to have only caught basculin, I return to the main section of route 4.

After returning from this mini detour, I plan on heading towards the beach resort, more specifically to Relic castle, as I can almost certainly get at least 1 encounter there, if not 2. Whilst trying to traverse my way to the desert resort, I end up encountering some trainers in the form of backpackers, who for whatever reason decided to bring grass type pokemon such as cottonnee and petill into a desert route with some fire type pokemon in it. I also encountered a trainer with a darumaka, which was frankly terrifying, until I realised that Hachiman can tank fire type moves, including attacks which could have been 1 hit wonders on a different pokemon. Which was good to know in case I run into any more wild darumaka's that want to obliterate me.

I also nearly get Ra killed when I send him out against a Timburr, whilst completely forgetting that it can learn rock type moves. Oops.

anyway, after coming across the dig tm, I enter the desert resort, and come across a patch of deep sand, as I had hoped. It's encounter time!

After taking a minute to google what pokemon could potentially show up here, my possibilities are Sandile, Maractus, Scraggy and Dwebble, all of which have types which I currently don't have on my team and could potentially provide some extra coverage. So, without further ado, I jump into the deep sand, and encounter...

A male level 21 sandile! Not too shabby. After throwing a quick ball at it, because I reckon it'll be tough to try and whittle it's health down without killing it, I capture the lil' guy and I quickly settle on my nickname for him: Sobek, who is an Egyptian deity with a crocodile head. Honestly that was my main reason for choosing Sobek as a nickname. Plus it sounds cool.

Upon further investigation, Sobek has the moxie ability and a modest nature, which boosts it's special attack but lowers it's physical attack stat. Whilst that is somewhat worrying as I imagine a lot if it's moves will be physical, I can probably still put him to good use. I give Sobek the xp share, whilst also teaching him dig because the ground type attacks he starts with are kinda bad, and I continue on the path to relic castle!
Upon properly entering the desert resort, I encounter a trainer with a solosis, which my newly acquired Sobek would likely be super effective against, but since I don't want to risk immediately losing my newest team member, I send out Ra to 1 hit wonder the Solosis instead. I also discover that this trainer can heal my pokemon, which is nice of them.

After taking on a few more trainers on my path to relic castle, I stumble upon the entrance, and after entering, I discover I can get another encounter here, as relic castle is considered a separate area to the desert resort! How delightful.

Upon doing a bit of research, I discover that there are two potential encounters for relic castle: sandile, which I already have, and Yamask. So, because I can't catch the same pokemon species twice, my encounter for this one HAS to be a Yamask. So, after searching around for a few minutes, I finally bump into one, a level 19 female Yamask to be exact. After throwing another quick ball, I capture the Yamask and decide to name her Nyx, after the Greek goddess of the night, who was apparently so terrifyingly powerful that she scared Zeus, of all people. Nyx comes with the mummy ability and a docile nature, which means that Nyx will hopefully be a useful asset to the team with a bit of training!
So, upon entering the castle and learning that I can't run through quicksand, I fight off a psychic with Baldr and a bit of help from Ra, Baldr is able to evolve into a Baldore (which makes his nickname even funnier). Another beaten psychic later, and Sobek goes up to level 23, which is nice. I also get the opportunity to choose a fossil, which is cool. Since this technically counts as a gift pokemon and not an encounter, this means I will eventually have another team member added to the roster, however since both options have types which I already have on my team, I'm unsure which one to go for. As a result, I may as well try out one of this forum's thread features, which is a poll! My two options for a new companion are as follows:
Tirtouga, a water rock type pokemon.
or Archen, a rock flying type pokemon.

I'll open the poll with the posting of this chapter, and within a day I will close it and choose the fossil which wins the poll. So, dear viewer, I will leave it there for today! Also, as a new addition to the "current squads" section, with a bit of help I was able to put up the roster in image form! To clarify further, I used an online website where you can enter in details about your nuzlocke and it'll display it for you. I thought it would be more interesting to look at compared to just text!
MbQPibT.png
Thank you all for reading, don't forget to answer the poll, as well as comment if you have any thoughts, ideas on how to improve and any mythological names for the pokemon, and I'll see you in chapter 5! :)

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
If I'm lucky, this Pokémon will be with me for the entire journey. However, it's also entirely possible that they get immediately murdered by the Unova equivalent of Youngster Joey
I love your brutal honesty. Yeah, in an ideal world, your starter is your shoulder to cry on, but Unova is tough. >_>

He also has a naïve nature, which gives a boost to speed and hinders his special defence. I have no idea how much his nature will affect anything, but hopefully he'll be able to outspeed the other Pokémon he comes across.
I find, in most standard nuzlockes (i.e: not no healing), natures don't have a huge effect, especially when you can EV train to cancel out a stat drop you don't want fairly quickly. (And, even so, having balanced EVs for standard nuzlockes works best, outside of late-game additions trained to defeat one specific threat.)

Norse mythology has a lot of cool creature names (source: completed a nuzlocke with a Norse mythology naming theme), I predict it'll be a popular source of names for you too! ^^

Good news: Vital Spirit turns into Intimidate! (Your other option on Lillipup was Pickup, which turns into Sand Rush, which is rather situational.)

"eh, it can't be that bad, I'll leave Bastet on"
Alas, Purrloin don't have the attack stat to win a race against Bide. I hope Bastet has a good time with Anubis, at least. say hi to him for us
Hey, I used a Muninn the Pidove too! :0

After catching Muninn, I took the time to train her up in the tall grass, and at one point I encountered a patrat. A patrat which knew bide. I think you can see where this is going.
Bide-using Patrat stomping your team:
3d058db9ecde0e0a8e93ab6b9387156567a91eb1.gifv

Ooh, Roggenrola is a clutch catch for Lenora! let's just hope she doesn't have mistletoe :P
Huzzah, deathless Lenora! That's quite an achievement! :D

Team Plasma "saving" a skull is also an achievement.

In one move, Darumaka hits Garmr with a critical hit fire fang which obliterates his health bar and kills Garmr before I can even register what is happening.
No! 😭 Darumaka, why are you so evil!?
a355b2f7bf8bdf2631c62a4ed49ab3660abb5408r1-250-170_hq.gif
I follow him down to one of the piers, where I find Bianca, and a new character, Iris. Hmm, I wonder if she'll be important later in the story...
Remarkably, if you don't play Black 2/White 2, she's only a thing in Pokemon White. XD

I also randomly get given a yache berry, which is nice... I think?
Alas, this is not a game where you can farm. 😔

POV: You are Burgh.
tumblr_mru8f6S9BQ1qll3fqo1_250.gifv

It's unfortunate about Sobek's nature, but the Sandile line has two potential abilities that are both fantastic: Moxie and Intimidate. You could potentially run a set-up move on Sobek if you're not sure about a full team sweep (i.e: Hone Claws).

As for Nyx, Yamask can, in time, become a terrifying stall Mon! :D

I love that you link back to your previous chapters in all your posts. :0 I might need to steal this idea.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Previously a guest lurker, but has evolved into a lurking member.
I think that between Tirtouga and Archen, there are pros and cons for both. Archen’s only possible ability is defeatist, which is pretty bad, and I’d say Tirtouga does have the edge ability wise with solid rock or sturdy. Then again, Archen is better than Tirtouga offensively, and when it evolves it can learn roost, which helps negate the effects of its ability. Honestly this one can kind of come down to personal preference but for me I’d pick Archen purely because it’s more offensive, and eventually it’s ability can be negated by roost. Plus you already have a backup water type, and I think Tirtouga would struggle to find a spot in the team without a death, whereas Archen could either act as a backup or sub in for your Baldr or Muninn without much of an issue.

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Good evening/morning viewer!

Apologies for cutting it so close with today's/tonight's upload, I wanted to wait until I got the poll results before I continued, and then it took me longer than I was expecting to play through this section of the run. Still, here is the contents page!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Just before we get into the chapter, I also want to take the time to respond to some of the comments from you, the viewers!
Hey, I used a Muninn the Pidove too! :0
No way! That's such a cool coincidence! I might have to read up on this nuzlocke, see how the alternate universe Muninn is doing in your nuzlocke!
POV: You are Burgh.
Not gonna lie, I'm definitely going to "steal" this GIF for whenever Ra pulls off another one hit wonder!
I think that between Tirtouga and Archen, there are pros and cons for both. Archen’s only possible ability is defeatist, which is pretty bad, and I’d say Tirtouga does have the edge ability wise with solid rock or sturdy. Then again, Archen is better than Tirtouga offensively, and when it evolves it can learn roost, which helps negate the effects of its ability. Honestly this one can kind of come down to personal preference but for me I’d pick Archen purely because it’s more offensive, and eventually it’s ability can be negated by roost. Plus you already have a backup water type, and I think Tirtouga would struggle to find a spot in the team without a death, whereas Archen could either act as a backup or sub in for your Baldr or Muninn without much of an issue.
Thanks for your advice! It seems like the poll agrees that Archen is the option I should go with, but I'm not sure whether to swap Archen with Baldr/Muninn or keep it benched for now.
Anyway, without further ado, lets begin!
Right, let's get straight down to business. The poll has decreed that I select Archen as my fossil pokemon, so I nab the plume fossil and leave relic castle. Also, at this point I think that since my team is mostly around level 25 by this point, I can probably take on the gym when I reach Nimbasa city. Before that though, I've gotta restore this fossil!

So I run back to Nimbasa town, which takes FOREVER, and then after momentarily benching one of my companions I go to the museum and get my fossil converted into a pokemon! Here's a picture of the lil guy:
archen.jpg

Adorable.

After finding out he's a male Archen, I couldn't resist and I decide to name hum Huginn. Huginn is a raven in Norse mythology who serves Odin, and if this sounds familiar to you, it's because Huginn is the other half of the pair of ravens who work for Odin, with the second half being Muninn, who I'm sure we're all well acquainted with by now. So, now I have both of Odin's ravens on the roster. I wonder if the big man himself will show up at any point...

Anyway, Huginn has the defeatist ability, which kinda sucks, but he does have a brave nature, which boosts his attack but lowers his speed. Oh, and Archen has a physical attack stat of SEVENTY FOUR. Dear lord, no wonder the poll was unanimous, Huginn looks like he's an absolute unit.

However, the addition of Huginn puts me in a bit of a dilemma, as I'm unsure whether to swap him into the team or keep him as an insanely powerful backup option. What do you lot think? Let me know in the comments.

For now though, Huginn will be sitting on the bench, as I need Baldr for the upcoming gym, and I want to keep Muninn around for the time being as well.

I run all the way back to route 4 (which once again took a WHILE) and made my way onwards towards Nimbasa city. On the way, I bump into Cheren and Professor Juniper, who I haven't seen in quite some time! She gives both me and Cheren some ultra balls (nice) and then both of them promptly leave. Rude.

Anyway, into Nimbasa city we go!

Upon entering, I immediately notice 2 team plasma grunts harassing an old daycare man. Rude.

So, after I beat some manners into them with Muninn, the old man decides to give me a bike, which means no more running for ages to get from route 4 to the museum (yay). Thanks Mr day care man.

Bianca then comes flying past, spends about 5 seconds rambling about attractions or something and then runs off again. Does nobody understand how polite conversations work in this region? 🤣

At this point, I decide I'm gonna take the xp share off Sobek, since at level 23 I reckon he should be ok for now, or at least he'll hopefully be able to take on the gym, with maybe one or two extra levels. I pass on the xp share to Nyx instead, as she's the main pokemon falling behind so a bit of experience will do her good.

As I begin to explore the city to look for the gym, I bump into N, who tells me that team plasma are in the amusement park. We then walk over to what I assume is the amusement park, before he spins around and tells me, and i quote "they're not here!".

In other words, N just led me on a wild goose chase for no reason other than to annoy me. Thanks N, appreciate it.

He then asks me to join him on the Ferris wheel, where he casually admits that he's the king of team plasma (which to be fair was kinda obvious, he did give me team plasma vibes when I first met him) and then says some other stuff about his goals and ideas and stuff.

When we get off, more grunts appear, and N asks me if I understand his logic. Honestly, at this point I was kinda tuning out so I don't have a clue what he's talking about, so I say no. He then decides he's gonna battle me to buy time for the grunts to escape, which is... nice of him, I guess?

And then the battle begins, complete with a snazzy new battle intro for N. (or I assume it's new, I don't remember seeing it before)

The battle starts off quite simple. Hachiman comes into the fight to 1 shot his sandile and darumaka, and I also let him handle N's scraggy. Hachiman takes a critical hit from scraggy and is left with 5 hp, which is a little too close for comfort, but one potion and 2 water pulses later and Scraggy goes down. Finally, we have Sigilyph. I decide to just keep Hachiman in, since it'll probably be fine.

If only it were that simple.

I go for a water pulse attack, but what I didn't expect was for Sigilyph to outspeed me. What I also didn't expect was the critical hit psybeam heading straight for my semi-injured Hachiman.

He survives the hit. 2 hp remaining. The confusion animation plays. This is bad. If Hachiman hits himself, that's almost guaranteed to kill him. I watch, and I pray......

"Hachiman is confused! It hits itself in its confusion!"

And just like that... Hachiman goes down. Hachiman, who was my starter pokemon, who has been with me since we began this journey, is killed by his own confusion. I struggle to believe what's going on. I have no idea how I'm going to deal with this Sigilyph, who has proven to be more than capable of doing serious damage to the team.

I swap in Ra. He won't take supereffective damage, and hopefully, with a bit of luck, he can kill it.

Fortunately, this time I'm lucky.

Sigilyph chooses to go for air cutter, and Ra is able to knock it out with 2 fire punches, and a potion to keep him alive. It was still close, but N has been defeated.

Nyx levels up to level 20. But that's not on the forefront of my mind here. I won the battle, but looking back I was a fool. I should have swapped into Sobek, who unbeknownst to me at the time was immune to psychic attacks. I could've swapped in to a different pokemon, like Baldr, or maybe even Ra or Muninn. If I had put more thought in, maybe this could have been prevented.

This death hurt. A lot.

I walk back to the pokemon centre with a heavy heart, and lower Hachiman into the DED box. He was taken too soon. Far too soon.

RIP Hachiman. You will be dearly missed.

After putting Hachiman in the dead box, I now need to decide what to do about the empty slot in my party. Theseus, who has been on the bench since we caught him back in Pinwheel forest, is ready to step up. As a reminder, Theseus has hydration ability and has a bashful nature. When we put him into our party, he's also at level 15, so I take the xp share from Nyx (sorry Nyx, maybe next time) and give it to Theseus to get him a few levels during the gym battles. I also take the time to get Sobek to level 24 before going in, just to be sure.
As I wander around aimlessly to try and find this goddamn pokemon gym, I stumble upon Bianca, who's at the pokemon theatre. It was at this point I realised I could dress up one of my pokemon, which was admittedly fun for a few minutes as I gave Ra a tutu, a hat and a tennis racket.

As I exited the theatre, I find Bianca and her father (who I surprisingly remember despite the fact I haven't seen him since the beginning of the game), as they have an argument about whether or not Bianca can keep travelling. Then, the gym leader, Elesa, who I have been trying to find since I first entered this city, shows up and convinces Bianca's father to back off a bit. He agrees, and then everyone leaves without so much as a meaningful goodbye. This is exactly what I mean by these people having "no manners".

I am able to locate the gym, and I think it's about time I took the 4th badge. So, let us begin...

The first immediate problem I encounter comes when I face the first trainer and their Emolga. Sobek cannot hit Emolga with any of his ground type moves, which is quite problematic. Luckily Baldr's rock type attacks do supereffective damage, so I've found a solution to that problem, at least for now.

The rest of the trainers are dispatched relatively easily. Theseus is levelling up nicely thanks to the xp share, and Baldr went up to level 26 as well. Nice.

But now, it's time for the main event. Elesa herself.

Before going into the fight, I know full well that Elesa is gonna be one tough cookie. Both of her Emolga have volt switch, which can do damage to Baldr, who is the only one who does supereffective damage on them (that I know of, anyway). Hopefully he can tank through it, but I'm also worried about Zebstrika. at level 27, it's higher levelled than everyone on my team, and whilst Sobek can probably kill it with dig, if one of the Emolga's volt switches to him, it might cause problems. I need a solid strategy here. Luckily, I have a few ideas hatching...

Let's do this. For Hachiman.

The battle begins, and I open with Baldr against Elesa's first Emolga. Unsurprisingly, it immediately goes for volt switch, which rather unluckily turns out to be a crit. Baldr takes the damage but is in red health, which is problematic. Still, Baldr manages to hit 3 rock blasts, which is all it takes to finish the first Emolga. One down, two to go.

And this is where my idea comes in. When Emolga comes in, I'm willing to bet it'll go for another volt switch, especially if Baldr is still on the field. Even if I heal and it doesn't crit, based on the fact that Baldr went from full health to red health in one hit tells me that the non crit attack is still pretty powerful, and if Zebstrika gets in then it's powerful attacks may do serious damage to members like Baldr and Sobek, who I need to keep alive if I want to walk out of this gym with the run intact.

So, I come up with an idea. It's risky, but it might just work out in my favour.

I swap in Ra.

The second Emolga comes in, and my hope is that Ra can either A) outspeed Emolga and 1-hit wonder it or B) tank the volt switch which is almost certainly coming my way and do serious/KO damage to the Zebstrika. Emolga outspeeds Ra, and goes for another volt switch, as I expected. Ra is able to tank the hit, and when Zebstrika enters the fray, I fire punch it.

It doesn't kill, but it deals a very good amount of damage. It's not bad, but it could have been better. I have no idea if Ra can tank a hit from Zebstrika, since I have no idea how much damage it's going to deal when it hits. I know that in all likelihood it will go for either quick attack, spark or volt switch. And then I have an epiphany.

If I swap Sobek in now, and Zebstrika goes for an electric attack, any damage is negated due to Sobek's immunity. From there, I just need tank a quick attack or flame charge (since I reckon Zebstrika will outspeed Sobek), use dig, and hopefully do enough damage to knock off the rest of it's health.

I decide to go for it. Sobek subs in, and....

Zebstrika goes for spark. It has no effect.

Honestly, thank god it didn't go for volt switch, otherwise I'm not certain this would've worked. But Sobek is on the field, and after tanking a flame charge like an absolute legend, Sobek uses dig and is successful in getting the KO. Now all that's left is Emolga.

I swap back to Ra, which is perhaps is quite risky, and use a turn to heal up Baldr, who was still in the red health zone. Ra tanks a critical hit from Emolga, but ends up in the red zone himself, and I decide to take another turn to heal Ra in case Emolga goes for pursuit, which would almost certainly kill. This works out well for me, and I'm able to sub in Baldr, and after using potions and being hit by attacks which take off around half/just under half of Baldr's health, I take a chance when he has what I hope is enough health to tank another hit and initiate a rock blast.

Baldr survives the attack, but just barely, with 5hp left. His rock blast attack hits 3 times, and ends the fight. We won.

Hoo boy, that was a tough one. I must have spent a good few minutes in that battle coming up with the big brain plays I had to make there, and realistically one of my pokemon could easily have died if I got unlucky. But the team pulls through, Ra proves he's still a legend (even if he's still a murderer, *cough* Garmr *cough*) and Sobek proves he is a pretty worthwhile addition to the team in this battle. Oh and Theseus and Sobek level up to level 22 and 25 respectively. Good for them.

After receiving my 4th gym badge and the volt switch TM, Elesa tells me to meet her on route 5.

Which I will do in the next chapter, cause after heading to the pokemon centre to heal up, I decide to call it there for today.

It's been a very tense chapter of the nuzlocke run. We lost a major member of the team, we barely made it out of Elesa's gym alive, and to top it all off, Nyx is still only level 20 and really needs to get some experience. I'll probably do a bit of grinding tomorrow in the beginning of Chapter 6, but for now, that's all for today. As usual, the current squad is below

twe2bt2.png

As always, thank you all for reading! Feel free to comment any thoughts you have down below, including thoughts on what's happened, things I could do to improve, or if you have any ideas for mythological nicknames! Or hey, let me know what you think I should do about our new fossil pokemon. Should he stay on the bench or should we find a spot on the team for him?

Anyway, thanks again for reading, and I'll see you sometime tomorrow for chapter 6. :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hello everyone! Just as a really quick update, I am currently working on Chapter 6 but I've been a bit busier than usual so I don't think I'll be able to get it uploaded until tomorrow. My notes on Chapter 6 are about 60% done but considering it often takes me around an hour and a half (sometimes longer) to properly compile it all into a post, I think for the sake of me being able to get some sleep for once I should push it back to tomorrow, especially since I still need to finish the other 40% (ish) of gameplay I have planned for this chapter. Hope you all understand.

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
  3. Steel
I love themed runs, since I myself can never think beyond seasonal likes or puns for the names of my team - and this is doubled down with Norse mythology. I especially like how you describe what each name means - I knew the names of Odin's ravens beforehand, but I'd never investigated further than just their names!

As for the logs themselves - I like them! Perhaps, they're somewhat dense at first glance - though this is purely aesthetic criticism, since the paragraphs themselves are condensed and digestible - but shorter paragraphs (or even divided between sections) would possibly make the whole look easier to dip into.

An extra note - I really like the sheet with your current team. I was actually going to type something out about stats not being mentioned inside of the thread XD

And sorry for Hachiman! Starter losses always suck. In most of my runs, they either make it all the way through or die very early into the run, so I'm not acquainted with losing them as an already established member of your team.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Oh, I was hoping you'd snag the name Huginn after using Muninn! The drama of the rivalry for the slot of team flying type!

Anyway, Huginn has the defeatist ability, which kinda sucks, but he does have a brave nature, which boosts his attack but lowers his speed. Oh, and Archen has a physical attack stat of SEVENTY FOUR. Dear lord, no wonder the poll was unanimous, Huginn looks like he's an absolute unit.
As long as you keep Archen/Archeops' HP up, it certainly is!

On the way, I bump into Cheren and Professor Juniper, who I haven't seen in quite some time! She gives both me and Cheren some ultra balls (nice) and then both of them promptly leave. Rude.
Consider: Talking for too long is also rude. Don't you wish sometimes people would give you presents then yeet out?

In other words, N just led me on a wild goose chase for no reason other than to annoy me.
See! And he didn't even give you a present. Rude. 😤 And, no, the knowledge that he's the King of Team Plasma doesn't count.

Finally, we have Sigilyph. I decide to just keep Hachiman in, since it'll probably be fine.

If only it were that simple.
show

Sigilyph are deadly. I'm so sorry for the loss of your starter. N, you'll pay.

We stan using Pokemon with immunity as pivots! Big brain! 🧠

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hello there viewer, welcome to chapter 6 of the run!

Once again, I apologise for not being able to get this up yesterday. As I mentioned yesterday, I was busier than usual yesterday, so I didn't have the time to get very far in the run. But I've now completed chapter 6, so let's get straight into the details!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

first of all, I wanna share my response to some of the new comments I've received.

I love themed runs, since I myself can never think beyond seasonal likes or puns for the names of my team - and this is doubled down with Norse mythology. I especially like how you describe what each name means - I knew the names of Odin's ravens beforehand, but I'd never investigated further than just their names!

As for the logs themselves - I like them! Perhaps, they're somewhat dense at first glance - though this is purely aesthetic criticism, since the paragraphs themselves are condensed and digestible - but shorter paragraphs (or even divided between sections) would possibly make the whole look easier to dip into.

An extra note - I really like the sheet with your current team. I was actually going to type something out about stats not being mentioned inside of the thread XD

Thanks for your post! I'm happy you enjoy my approach to nicknaming stuff, and I also massively appreciate the feedback on the aesthetics of the thread!

Consider: Talking for too long is also rude. Don't you wish sometimes people would give you presents then yeet out?
To be fair, you have a point there. Sometimes incredibly long bits of exposition dialogue can also be quite draining. 🤣
See! And he didn't even give you a present. Rude. 😤 And, no, the knowledge that he's the King of Team Plasma doesn't count.
I know! He not only has the cheek to send me on a wild goose chase, but doesn't even compensate me for it! Honestly, that and the battle with him are starting to make me think he's not a very nice person! 😤

Right, let's jump straight into chapter 6!
To begin with, I decide to head on back to relic castle to fight the trainers I left there last time, whilst also taking the opportunity to level up Nyx and Theseus. If lil Theseus is gonna be Hachiman's replacement, he's gotta grow a bit stronger so he can handle the responsibility.

The good news is, this doesn't take too long, and upon hitting level 25 (which is about where I want him for now), he evolves!
palpitoad.jpg

I've gotta be honest, I do not like the middle stage evolution for the Tympole line. It suffers from middle evo syndrome HARD, but setting aesthetics aside, Theseus is now also a ground type, which means he's no longer weak to electric. Hooray.

Whilst levelling Nyx up a tad, I clear out the remaining trainers at the desert resort, and then I decide to head up to route 16, because as it turns out I can get not one, but two encounters in that area! One for route 16 itself, and the other for the lostlorn forest, which counts as a separate area.

So, I head to route 16, clear out the trainers there without much fuss, and head to the nearest patch of grass. It's encounter time kiddos.

For Route 16's encounter, we have a level 19 female Minccino!
minccino.jpg

Adorable, I know.

I name her Antigone, a princess in Greek mythology who is probably most well known for the play written about her by Sophocles, which is also called "Antigone". In it, Antigone is the daughter of Oedipus, who is a very interesting character who I may use as a nickname later down the line, and basically she's in a tragic play where a bunch of stuff happens. No spoilers here, but look it up if you're interested.

Stat wise, she has the technician ability and a timid nature, which seems fine to me. Antigone goes straight onto the bench, and in all honesty I don't have plans to use her on the team anytime soon because I don't really need a pure normal type.

You may also be wondering why I grouped the lostlorn forest encounter in this section. That's because when I found the encounter, it's a venipede, but unfortunately Nyx goes a little overboard and crits it, meaning we lose the encounter. I'm surprised I've gone this far in the game without something like this happening in all honesty, but we've just gotta keep moving forward.

So, after the 2 encounters, I find that there isn't much to see in the lostlorn forest except a lady in a camper van, so I turn back and head towards route 5.

Literally the SECOND I step into the route, Cheren ambushes me from behind and challenges me to a battle. Of course, I'm more than happy to oblige. I'm sure Cheren will enjoy the butt kicking I'm about to give him.

I open with Nyx which may have been a bad move because his liepard is a dark type. So I swap into Baldr to try and handle this one, and then liepard uses pursuit. Oh dear.

Nyx BARELY hangs on health wise, but Baldr makes it onto the field and not long after, Liepard goes down. Next up is Panpour, and I decide Theseus can handle this one, which he does by using uproar till it dies. That's my boy.

Next up is Servine. I'll give you one guess what happens.

Finally, for Cheren's Tranquill, Sobek is sent in, before I realise that dig won't work, despite the fact that Tranquill's legs ARE ON THE GROUND. IT ISN'T FLYING IN THE AIR, SO WHY DO GROUND TYPE STILL NOT WORK???

Anyway, I swap in Baldr and he rock blasts it to death. Nothing more to say on that.

After the massacre battle, Elesa shows up and takes both me and Cheren, who amazingly hasn't run off crying yet, and we find a festival, where a new character comes and introduces himself.

Black_White_Alder.png

Alder. Champion of the Unova region, and the trainer I have to beat in order to complete this nuzlocke run.

Obviously that won't be for a while, since I'm nowhere near ready to face him, but still, here he is.

Alder drags me and Cheren into a double battle with 2 children, and luckily Cheren heals my team before the fight, since i was worried i'd have to fight a double battle with Nyx basically on death's door.

I swap in Baldr for the fight, as he's better equipped to handle the 2 Herdier's. Not much happens in this fight, although Cheren's panpour does get one shot (poor kid).

After that, I take on the trainers in the area, which includes a sigilyph. After taking a moment to recover from the vietman-esque flashbacks to N's Sigilyph, the fight goes by relatively quickly, aside from the fact that it keeps using whirlwind and swapping Nyx in and out of the battle. Clearly it can't decide whether it wants to fight her or not.

After clearing out the rest of the trainers, I believe it's route 5 encounter time!

574.png

The pokemon I stumble across is a female level 19 Gothita! Interesting.

This time I am able to catch my encounter, this time with a quick ball, and I decide on the name Ma'at, after the Egyptian goddess of truth, justice and order. I chose it mainly because the name just... Seems to fit, for some reason. I can't quite explain it.

Ma'at comes with the frisk ability and a gentle nature, and whilst she is going straight to the bench for now, she could end up being useful if I find a use for her later on down the line.
Further on down the route, I find Elesa and Cheren again, and Elesa speaks to someone via a phone or something (probably those watch phone things, I dunno). From her dialogue, I predict that she's talking to a gym leader on the other side of the bridge, and after exchanging a few words, the bridge gets lowered.

So, onto Driftveil drawbridge I go, and as it turns out, you can get an encounter here if you pick up the feathers which occasionally drop around the area. Obviously, since this is a new area, I spend the next few minutes grabbing these feathers and hoping a pokemon will appear and join my roster.

ducklett.jpg

Eventually, I track down a female level 25 Ducklett! After using Theseus to damage it, I capture her and decide to name her "Laufey" who in Norse mythology is the mother of Loki, who I'm sure we all know.

Laufey has the big pecks ability and a careful nature, and I intend on keeping her on the bench along with the other pokemon we've caught so far. I almost feel kinda bad for putting so many mons on the bench, before I realise that having them in the party means they face the threat of death, so suddenly the bench doesn't sound all that bad.
After crossing the bridge, it turns out I was correct, and Elesa was calling Clay, who is the next gym leader we'll be facing. Before that though, he tells us that Team Plasma are in the area so before we challenge the gym, I've gotta find and get rid of them.

It takes me a minute to realise it, but I notice that we're actually now in Driftveil city. So, I pop over to the pokemon centre and heal/buy more potions (what else?), and then I do a bit of exploring.

Nothing too exciting occurred, although I did have my first rotation battle, which was a fun gimmick but wasn't a very eventful fight.

So, I head on down south where I stumble upon the Cold storage area, and I take the time to get rid of some trainers who are lurking around.

Also, guess what? it's time for another encounter! (we're getting a lot of these for this chapter)

It takes about 2-3 encounters before I find a pokemon which I haven't already caught:
250px-532Timburr.png

A male level 21 Timburr! Sure, I'll take it.

One heal ball later, he's been caught, and I name him Hector, which is probably the most standard sounding name so far. Hector is from Greek mythology, and he was a hero of the Trojan's and, according to google, killed 31,000 Greek fighters before being killed by Achilles. Interesting.

Hector has the sheer force ability and a naive nature, and he's also going on the bench. You're probably starting to see a pattern emerge.
I enter the cold storage building proper, and after taking on a few trainers I find the tm for scald, which I immediately use on Theseus to replace bubble beam. Scald will probably come in handy as a move, especially with the upcoming ground type gym.

The trainers in the area all go down without much of a fight, and I eventually stumble across an open container. Gee, I wonder who could be in there?

Cheren also appears at this point, and we enter the container together. Shock horror, we find Team Plasma in there, along with what I believe is a new sage character, Zinzolin. As they notice the fact that we just walked in, they all gear up to battle us, except for the sage, cause he's clearly a coward.

Cheren tells me to take on the 4 trainers on the right, so it's time to put in some work.

Needless to say, I kick the butts of all 4 grunts, and Ra manages to squeeze in 2 1 hit wonders. You know what that means.

Praise Ra!

Anyway, Clay eventually shows up with some worker friends and they take away the team plasma guys. At this point we should now be able to challenge the gym (hooray).

Before that though, it's grinding time. My team needs to level up a bit so they don't drop off, so I level Theseus and Ra both up to level 30, Baldr Nyx and Muninn up to level 29 and Sobek up to level 29 as well, which means he evolves into a krokorok. 🎉
250px-552Krokorok.png

I must admit, Krokorok looks pretty cool. Now it just looks like Sobek is done with everyone's crap, and I love it.

After spending what must have been more than an hour grinding, it's time to face the gym challenge-

oh wait, no, nevermind, team plasma are here again.

This time there's an entire platoon of them though, and Ghetsis has decided to show up. They're all stood outside Clay's gym as I approach, and after a brief chat Clay gives over the guys we had captured back in cold storage. So I'm probably gonna have to deal with them later down the line, thanks Clay, you dick.

After that little spectacle, it's time for the gym challenge. For realsies this time.

So, for this gym, things will hopefully not be as stressful as Elesa's gym, where I had to use big brain plays just to get through. This time, Theseus will face his first true test as a team member as I'm gonna have him run point, since he has water type moves which do supereffective damage to most of Clay's team, and he's also able to tank ground type moves. Hopefully.

Ironically, the first trainer sends out a palpitoad, which in my opinion is the ace card of this gym as it's the only pokemon who doesn't take supereffective water damage. It doesn't help that it's only weakness is grass, although conversely that means Theseus is able to tank all it's hits and kill it since he also has only one weakness, so it's not all bad.

Theseus goes up to level 31 at this point, so I decide to pass the xp share on to Muninn whilst I'm fighting, because I may as well.

The other trainers in the area are a pushover thanks to Theseus and his muddy water, so after healing up my team I descend into the boss chamber to face Clay. Let's do this.

Clay opens the fight with his Krokorok, who promptly gets wiped out by scald. Muninn levels up to level 30 (good for her), and Clay's palpitoad comes out next. This pokemon was harder to take down, and I did need to heal after a particularly powerful earthquake attack, but Theseus was able to take damage like a champ and kill it.

Finally, we have the ace pokemon, Excadrill. One scald shot isn't enough to kill but it does get a burn effect, so that's good. Theseus also tanks a slash attack, and after healing him up, I have him use another scald. Theseus tanks Excadrill's attack, since he outspeeds, and then finishes Clay's team off without much issue.

Overall, this was pretty simple. Palpitoad was probably the most difficult team member of his to beat, but I pulled it off just fine, and there were no casualties once again. Nice.
Clay gives me my 5th gym badge, but rather annoyingly he refuses to hand over his TM until I meet him somewhere in route 6. Gee, thanks Clay.

After healing up once again, I head for route 6 but I'm stopped along the way by Bianca, and you guessed it, this is another rival battle.

Luckily for me, Bianca's team poses no threat whatsoever and is taken down without much effort. I kinda feel bad, but then she gives me the TM for Fly (yay) which I can teach to Muninn. Clearly she's better at taking losses than Cheren.

It's also time for the route 6 encounter! Because yes, I'm still catching more pokemon to add to the ever expanding bench!
1200px-588Karrablast.png

I end up stumbling across a level 22 male Karrablast!

After catching him, I decide to name him Khepri, who in Egyptian mythology represents the rise of the morning sun. He also has a scarab head, which is why I chose that nickname for this bug type.

Khepri has the shed skin ability and a rash nature, but since I can't evolve him without trade (which I can't do anyway because trading doesn't work anymore to my knowledge), Khepri won't be super useful to us. Sorry pal.
I fight my way through Route 6 and about halfway along I come across a house with a healing NPC inside. Sweet.

I also find my way to a place called chargestone cave, which is covered by a web. Clay shows up, and tells me it's from a Garvantula. And yes, i definitely know what pokemon he's talking about and no, and yes, I am also lying. 🤣

He gets rid of the web for me, and gives me that TM he owed me: bulldoze. He then leaves, and I head on into Chargestone cave.

The first thing I notice is that N is up ahead. Good. I've been waiting for the chance to pay him back for what he did to Hachiman.

Before we do that though, i've gotta get myself an encounter. Please be electric type, please be electric type, please be electric type...
1200px-599Klink.png

Goddammit.

It's a level 25 Klink. I suppose it's not too bad, but dangit I wanted an electric type.

After weakening it a little bit, I try and catch it with a great ball but it breaks free, so I decide that, screw it, I'm just gonna use an ultra ball. This works, and I nickname my new pokemon "Wayland". Wayland is a blacksmith from Norse mythology, and from what I looked into about this blacksmith, they were basically enslaved by a king until they killed the king's sons and escaped with a winged cloak. Interesting.

I later find out that Wayland has the minus ability and a sassy nature, and will be hanging on the bench with the rest of the reserves.
After catching my encounter, it's time to face N. JUSTICE FOR HACHIMAN!!

Except no, I get surrounded by two characters who quite literally teleport into the cave and I'm dragged over and told these two are the "shadow triad" who now work with Team Plasma. Wonderful.

N says I've been chosen, which is strange but also kind of obvious. I mean I am the protagonist. He then decides I'm not worth his time, the cheeky bugger, and he leaves before I can kick his ass in the name of Hachiman.

Still, I decide to accept this as the reality of the situation and fly back to the pokemon center in Driftveil. Just you wait, I'll have my chance for revenge against N. Just you wait.

For now though, I think I'm gonna end things here. There was quite a lot going on with this chapter, especially with all the encounters, so as usual here is the now significantly larger roster photo!

EbBqk3j.png
Right, that was chapter 6! It took me ages to write up but I hope you all enjoy! As always, feel free to comment any thoughts you have down below, including thoughts on what's happened, things I could do to improve, or if you have any ideas for mythological nicknames!

Until then, I'll see you in chapter 7! :)

Last edited:

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
  3. Steel
Middle evo syndrome - I could not agree more. A sort of goofy link between both stages that looks like an excuse to match up the first and final stage with a plausible look. This chapter also made me realize just how much I love the Unova dex -- probably one of my favorites if not my very favorite, which probably owes itself to me being a B&W anime kid.

Krokorok looks very, very done with everything. Simultaneously, he's perpetually stuck on giving the opponent a condescending look, making them feel insecure as soon as they leap out of the ball. And as for the Klink -- tough luck, but the name you gave it is awesome. Freed slave? Winged cloak? Whew. And, N saying you're the chosen one -- impossible, he said I was the chosen one!

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hi viewer, and welcome to chapter 7 of the run!

Let's begin immediately with the contents and replies section:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 (you are here right now)
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Krokorok looks very, very done with everything. Simultaneously, he's perpetually stuck on giving the opponent a condescending look, making them feel insecure as soon as they leap out of the ball.
I'm inclined to agree, Sobek seems like the whole "pokemon journey" thing is just overrated to him and he's lost most of his motivation to go through with it. Luckily that doesn't affect his gameplay since he can still bite other pokemon to death just fine. 🤣

Right, let's begin chapter 7!
First of all, I left things off at the pokemon centre, so I've gotta run all the way back to chargestone cave. Team plasma are up to no good again, so I've gotta get in there and kick their butts.

As I arrive and dive further into the cave, Bianca turns up along with Professor Juniper, who I haven't seen since she gave me ultra balls a while ago. This time she's got as lucky egg, which is very much appreciated and will likely come in handy for grinding later on in the game.

I do give it to Nyx for the time being to get her levels up a bit, since she always seems to fall behind in the team.

There's also a highlight in here where I found an ace trainer with an Archen. You know, that pokemon that's kinda supposed to be extinct. Wonder where he got it from.

After advancing further into the cave, Bianca and Juniper show up and in a bizarre conversation, they start talking about Klink's 100 years ago. I fail to see how that's relevant to what I'm currently doing but whatever, let's move on.

I continue onwards and those guys from the "shadow triad" or whatever they're called surround me again, only this time they brought an extra friend. Guess they weren't confident I'd come quietly.

They drag me over a bridge and tell me where I need to head to before teleporting away again. Goddammit, grow a pair and fight me already you cowards!

I head down the stairs (which side note, does nobody else find it weird that there are stairs in a NATURAL CAVE?) and onto the next floor of the caves, and after fighting some team plasma grunts, this happens:
c79be6747cfc953a2b0b26aff7a20dafece0f865.png

Yay, Muninn evolved!

I don't think female unfezant looks as good as the male version but still, we've got our first third stage evolution in the team!

Eventually after several potions and just as many grunts I find my way to N, who asks if I have a dream in life. I don't have dreams, so I answer no. Obviously. 🤣

And at last, it's time to fight N. It's payback time.

And damn, turns out it really is payback time because not only did N take the deadly sigilyph off his team, but I was able to completely wipe every pokemon he had. I would say it was somewhat underwhelming, but I still got to kick his butt so I'm happy.

At the end of the fight Juniper and Bianca shows up, and N rather bizarrely reveals he hates Pokedexes. I'm not gonna lie, that's oddly specific and to me it suggests he's experienced trauma with a pokedex in his past.

But he leaves in a huff about how awful he thinks a pokedex is, and Juniper and Bianca also take the opportunity to ditch me. Gee, thanks guys.

I walk out of the cave and into Mistralton city, which is home to the 6th gym leader (I think?), Skyla. After healing up and going for a quick nosy around the place someone runs up to me, points out that I've encountered 64 pokemon (interesting), and introduces himself as Cedric Juniper. Cool- wait hold on, that sounds familiar.

Turns out he's the professor's father, which surprises me since his overworld sprite looks quite young, if not the same age as the professor, so that's weird. He does give me a pokedex update though so it's not all bad.

We also end up bumping into Skyla, the next gym leader in our way. I reckon she'll be a tough one, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For now though, Skyla sets off to route 7's celestial tower, so I'm guessing I have to follow after her, which to be fair is fine since it gives me the chance to get more levels in preparation for the gym.

Also, upon entering route 7 I've got to cash in my encounter! Here we go!
jpg

A level 26 female deerling! Not what I was hoping for but sure, I'll take it for now.

After some minor trouble trying to do damage to the bugger, I use an ultra ball to capture it and I name her Diana, who is the Roman equivalent of the greek goddess Artemis. I didn't want to use Artemis as the nickname because I wasn't sure it'd fit, plus I have little intention of using Diana so using a name like Artemis would be wasting it. Sorry to any deerling fans out there, but that's how things are.

She has the chlorophyll ability and a bold nature, but she slots into the box along with the other backups I've collected over the course of the run.
After the encounter, I come across a house where a man will trade me an emolga if I give him a Baldore. Of course the only Baldore on my team is Baldr, so I'm not really willing to give him up just to get an Emolga. Plus I won't even get to nickname it.

I then battle my way through the trainers, with the main standout moment being when one of the trainers had a goddamn Axew. It was terrifying, but Muninn was able to deal with it, surprisingly.

Around this time, after finding another healing house I get a call from none other than my mum, who has said nothing to me since Chapter 1, if I remember correctly. She rings me to ask how things are going and then promptly leaves. Good talk.

After a bit more exploration I come across celestial tower, which I can get an encounter in, which is nice.

After entering, I realise the tower acts as a graveyard, which is slightly morbid but its not as bad as graveyards from previous games (looking at you, lavender town).

I also get my celestial tower encounter, a Litwick, but if you're wondering why there's no picture, it's because for the second time, I failed the encounter by accidentally knocking it out. Oops.

Oh well, it can't be helped. We've just gotta keep moving. And speaking of moving, lets dive into the highlights of celestial tower.

First of all, Ra nearly got murdered by a deerling, which somehow dropped his health to 1HP, so needless to say I nearly had a heart attack.

Nyx reached level 34, and you know what that means.
1200px-563Cofagrigus.png

It's an evolution! I do like Cofagrigus's design, it's one of the cooler ones for Gen5 in my opinion.

On the topic of evolution, this also happened:
darmanitan-standard.jpg

All praise the new form of Ra! I do also like this design, although I wouldn't say it's one of the standouts of this generation. Still, it's good that Ra evolved, and he also gained the sheer force ability. cool.

Other than that, there's not really anything to report, so I reach the top floor of the tower and find Skyla standing there rather ominously.

I'm not gonna lie, a part of me thought that this whole thing was a trick and we were going to have the gym battle right here and now. That wasn't the case, thank god, as instead Skyla wanted me to ring the bell.

So I did. It made a bing bong sound. That's about it, I don't know what else you expected, it's a bell.

Skyla then leaves, I assume to get ready for my gym challenge, and before flying back myself I ring the bell a second time, just for good measure.

I'm now back in Mistralton, and it's gym fight time!!

So, Skyla's gym is... Weird. Weirder than some of the others we've faced so far in my opinion.

She does mostly have flying types, and for the most part Baldr and Sobek (to an extent) can deal with them, but my issue is that Skyla also has the ducklett/Swanna line. Which is water type.

As has been previously established, my team has quite literally no counter against water types, so I reckon my best bet is to use someone like Muninn to try and deal with it, although there's no guarantee that'll work. I'm gonna try using Muninn on the ducklett's that some of the trainers have to see how that goes.

Luckily for me, overall the trainers posed no threat. Muninn handles the ducklett's without any issues, and Baldr/Sobek kick ass when it comes to everything else, so I reckon I'm ready. Plus my pokemon are all around level 34-35 at this point so this will hopefully be simpler than I was expecting. Let's find out.

Skyla starts off with her swoobat, which Sobek takes down thanks to a supereffective crunch. Good start.

However Skyla is clearly more than a bit pissed off at this as her next pokemon is her Swanna. I send in Muninn as planned, and the difficult part of this fight begins.

Muninn starts off well with two successive fly attacks, but does take a fair bit of damage in the process. Swanna ends up down into red HP but as I heal Muninn, Skyla heals her pokemon as well, so we just end up back where we started. Wonderful.

Luckily, it seems that Swanna misses it's next attack since when i use fly, Muninn takes no damage. A final fly attack is enough to finish things, and with her final pokemon being an unfezant, I send in baldr to finish the job, which he does with relative ease.

Overall, that was not as bad as I was anticipating. I seriously thought Swanna would pose a major threat but it was taken out with barely any issues, so I guess I overestimated Skyla.
After receiving my 6th gym badge and suddenly realised how long I've been doing this for, I also get hold of the TM for acrobatics, which is a nice bonus. Plus she didn't make me work for it like a certain OTHER gym leader I know.

However after leaving the gym I'm in for the jumpscare of my life as N is literally right outside the door waiting to ambush me. Clearly this man has no concept of how manners work.

He starts speaking to "Boldore" apparently, and with all his spiel about being friends with pokemon you'd think he'd actually use Baldr's name rather than his species.

What makes things worse is that he asks Baldr about me, and the little bugger rats me out! He tells N everything, including where I come from. Dude! I thought we were friends!

N does also tell me that Baldr trusts me, although I'm not 100% sure the feeling is mutual anymore, and suddenly that emolga trade is looking very appealing...

Jokes aside, N spouts some exposition about the legendary pokemon and what he plans to do with one of them before leaving. Cool, good talk.

And with that, as I head to the pokemon centre to heal, I will end Chapter 7 there. Below you'll find the squad list as usual:
7w09Gh6.png
As always, thank you all for reading! Feel free to comment any thoughts you have down below, including thoughts on what's happened, things I could do to improve, or if you have any ideas for mythological nicknames!

With that, I'll see you in chapter 8! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
hello, just a quick update, Chapter 8 won't be able to be posted until tomorrow, I've been unable to do it today since I've had a lot of other things to do. Thank you. 👍

[Note: unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to delay the post again. I'm writing this on the day I said I would upload on in this post but I'm gonna have to push it back again, sorry.]

Last edited:

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
  3. Steel
You know, yeah, it is weird that there seems to have been some sort of parallel to the timeline of our universe's Earth what with ancient species of Pokemon being extinct that are oddly similar to our own dinosaurs, but the dinosaurs of the Pokemon world apparently coexist with the Pokemon of the modern era and, moreover, you can catch them, tame them, and raise them as you would any other Pokemon -- which makes you wonder if Mew made dinosaurs, said "Screw it", and then remade the roster with the current Pokedex we know.

Pokemon cemeteries are highly impractical and any other regular trainer would need to afford travelling through caves and river streams in order to reach most of them given how they're geographically positioned in the regions. XD

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hello there viewer!

apologies again for being late with this one, but let's not waste any time: let's jump right in!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

You know, yeah, it is weird that there seems to have been some sort of parallel to the timeline of our universe's Earth what with ancient species of Pokemon being extinct that are oddly similar to our own dinosaurs, but the dinosaurs of the Pokemon world apparently coexist with the Pokemon of the modern era and, moreover, you can catch them, tame them, and raise them as you would any other Pokemon -- which makes you wonder if Mew made dinosaurs, said "Screw it", and then remade the roster with the current Pokedex we know.
That is a very interesting point. Does pokemon extinction actually exist in the pokemon canon? Are there pokemon which quite literally were wiped out because of some sort of mew antics like you described? Who knows.

Right, let's jump into chapter 8!
So, first things first I decided to evolve Theseus into his final form!
seismitoad.jpg

Here he is, Theseus the Seismitoad! He looks pretty happy, not gonna lie. Either that or he's really really depressed, it's a bit hard to tell. 🤣

After that, I head for Twist mountain, and as I approach Cheren shows up and demands another rival battle, because of course he does.

Cheren at one point sends out his Servine. I send out Ra. Do I even need to explain what happened?

After dispatching the rest of Cheren's team I encounter Alder, who after giving some inspirational words to Cheren gives me the Surf TM. Finally.

I immediately give the tm to Theseus and head to a place called mistralton cave, where I can get a new encounter. But you may be asking, why am I doing this right now?

Oh you know, nothing too major. Just the fact that Mistralton cave is one of the only areas in the game which gives access to the HAXORUS LINE.

Yeah I'm not gonna try and hide it, I want an Axew, and this cave has Axew's. Let's see how this goes.

I enter the cave. My first encounter is a Baldore, which I already have. Next up is Gurdurr, again, already have Timburr so dupes clause kicks in.

Admittedly this goes on for a weirdly long time. The only other two pokemon in this cave are the previously mentioned Axew and woobat. I take the time to pray to Arceus that I'm not given a woobat as this encounter.

YES!!!!

axew.jpg

I get an Axew as my encounter!!!!

It's female and at level 30, but that's mostly irrelevant at the moment. I catch the thing with an ultra ball, because I'm not risking losing it, and after catching her I give her the name Izanami. Izanami is the Japanese god of both creation and death in Japanese mythology. A fitting name for a fitting new pokemon.

When I check the PC later on, I learn that it has the rivalry ability and a serious nature, both of which I'll take. Izanami is probably also going to swap in for Nyx for the time being. Whilst I do still want to use Nyx later down the line (if I need to, that is) as it stands I don't think she's adding a ton to the team, whereas I think a dragon type can help beef up the team if I start using that as a member. So for now, Nyx moves into the bench box.
After that, I train up my entire team to about level 36 in preparation for twist mountain. I might as well.

Upon entering, I notice Cheren is inside with Clay, who I haven't seen in a while. Apparently the gym leaders of Unova have been gossiping about Team Plasma but they can't find him. Yeah good luck with that, because the protagonist is just gonna continue with his journey until he's forced to intervene.

It seems like we get an encounter here as well, which is nice.
After going through a few dupe mons, I find my encounter, which is...
1200px-613Cubchoo.png

A level 28 male Cubchoo!

This is a nice addition to the roster, as Cubchoo could really come in handy for the 8th gym and possibly the elite 4 if we decide to use him.

After catching it, I decide on the name "Gungnir", which is not the name of a person but is the name of a weapon in Norse mythology, specifically the spear of head honcho Odin himself.

Later on, when I look at the mon in my pc, I see he has the snow cloak ability and a naughty nature, which works for me.

For now Gungnir stays in the box but he will come out at some point, mark my words.
After fighting my way through the twist mountain trainers and beating a doctor, I finally have access to healing, and after further exploring and battling I find Cheren with a Team Plasma grunt. I assume Cheren is beating him in a fight, although then again considering how easily I've beaten him over the course of this game, it could easily be the other way around.

The grunt is joined by another grunt and they talk about a tower (how mysterious) and then leave to go find N or something.

I leave the cave after that, and Cedric from earlier appears, and he comments on how my axew is doing, even though this is the first time he's ever seen Izanami. Whelp, now I feel like he's been following me, thanks GameFreak!

He also spouts exposition about dragonspiral tower, which is a really old tower and is linked to legendary pokemon. And that means that this is the tower team plasma mentioned.

Then he leaves, and after looking around I realise I'm in the new city: Icirrus City.

I also realise there's a puddle. I wonder...

Surprise! There's an encounter here.
618.png

And it's a level 32 male stunfisk.

I wasn't really expecting this, but ok. I catch it and name him Pontus, who in greek mythology is a primordial god of the sea, who I assume predates Poseidon, who most people likely know as the god of the seas.

Pontus has the limber ability and a jolly nature, but that doesn't save him from being another bench warmer. Tough luck buddy.
After that, I get involved in some shenanigans involving a quiz in a house and then I find the gym. The 7th gym to be specific. My team are at around level 37 by this point, so I figure I may as well give it a shot. I would make a separate spoiler section for the gym, but honestly this one was pretty uneventful compared to the others.

I decided to lead with Ra since he's fire type, and my main concern is that he might struggle with Brycen's Beartic which knows a water type move.

Fortunately for me, Ra is an absolute legend. I kid you not, Ra 1 hit wonder'd every single pokemon in that gym. Without fail. He even one shot Beartic despite being on the same level by that point, although I did use flare blitz that time because I wanted to do as much damage to it as possible.

So, that was that. I got the badge, I got ice beam, and we left the gym. It was shockingly simple for this late in the game.

After leaving, I find both Bianca and Cheren waiting outside the gym for me (seriously why do NPC's keep doing this? Why are they waiting for me like they intend to jump me the second I come outside??) and Cheren asked me if he's changed since the start of the journey. And honestly, I cannot remember that far back so I have no clue.

Then the gym leader walks out and goes "come out", and then those 3 shadow triad cowards pop up out of nowhere to surround us. Dangit.

Once again though, they say something cryptic, in this case they say to go to Dragonspiral tower, as if it wasn't obvious from earlier, and then teleport away like the cowards they are.

They genuinely seem allergic to fighting, and it's starting to annoy me a tiny bit. I wanna kick their butts GameFreak, why won't you let me???

Brycen and Cheren immediately rush off to the tower and I ditch Bianca (sorry love) so I can go to the pokemon centre and heal up.

And with that, I think I'll leave this chapter here! Below, as usual, you'll find the current roster:
Ye6lcqC.png
Once again, thank you for reading this post! Apologies again for being so late with this one!

As always, feel free to comment any thoughts you have down below, including thoughts on what's happened, things I could do to improve, or if you have any ideas for mythological nicknames!

I'll see you in chapter 9!

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hi there viewer, it's time for chapter 9!

Let's just jump right in with the contents:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

First things first, I want to start levelling up Gungnir, as he's hopefully going to be our main man for the final gym. I decide to swap Gungnir in for Baldr (sorry buddy) for the time being, and I begin to make my way towards the dragonspiral tower.

First though, apparently I get an encounter here in "dragonspiral tower", which begins earlier than I thought. Huh.

The first encounter is tranquill, which I already have.

Then I find myself a level 30 female Mienfoo!

Unfortunately Izanami one shots it though. Dammit.

Meanwhile, get Izanami to evolve into fraxure (yay).
fraxure.jpg

Fraxure looks pretty decent imo, I don't think it suffers too badly from middle evo syndrome.

I continue up through the path to dragonspiral and after Bianca joins me I learn from a recently arriving Cedric that team plasma have broken into the tower. I also find out that a legendary Pokemon is on the top floor (ooooo), and Bianca ditches me to be cedric’s “bodyguard”. Gee, thanks Bianca.

At one point during my exploratyion of the inside of the tower, I find a load of plasma guards with Cheren and Brycen trying to fight them off. No matter what I try, they don't seem to want to fight me. Aww.

I keep going, fighting off grunts as I go and I stumble across a sage with some more grunts with him. The grunts then surround me and it’s battle time. I beat them all up without any issues, since the team plasma pokemon seem to have health bars made of string, and I head up the stairs and- oh no.

Zekrom’s here and he looks pissed. The cutscene is really cool, but when I'm asked what I think, I realise I'm quite intimidated. Hoo boy, I'm not looking forward to the inevitable fight with that dragonic thing.

Zekrom flies off, and I’m told Reshiram will apparently recognise me as it's champion, cool, and says something about a light stone before being picked up by zekrom and flying off. Coward, he didn't even fight me this time.

We go back to the outside bit of the tower and Alder shows up to tell us that Zekrom can destroy the world, because of course it can, and I’m told to go to relic castle. Dear lord it’s been a while since we were there.

So I fly/walk my way there and before I enter Cheren stops me and surprisingly doesn’t challenge me to battle, but instead encourages me to go in. I mean, credit to him, if he had been more of a gary/Barry type rival he may have ignored the imminent team plasma danger and battled me anyway.

I head to the previously inaccessible staircase and inside I find Ryoku, who I assume is another sage. He doesn’t fight me, the coward, and instead tells me to go on ahead. At this point I'm seriously starting to wonder why they bothered giving the sages individual names if we're not gonna fight them at some point.

After getting through the castle without any problems and reaching the bottom, I find Alder with Ghetsis, and Cheren also appears behind me, because of course he does.

Turns out according to Ghetsis, the light stone I’m after isn’t here, and it turns out Alder lost a Pokemon partner a long time ago (awww). Then after more cryptic words, Ghetsis pushes past me and leaves.

We then leave the castle and I get a call on my watch for the first time in a while. This time it’s the professor who tells us to immediately go to the Nacrene city museum. Clearly it’s urgent despite her happy expression on the call.

Alder flies away and I fly after him to Nacrene city. It's also been absolutely ages since I was here.

After quickly healing up, I head to the museum where I find Alder, Bianca, Cedric and the professor.

Then Lenora (dear lord it’s been a while) pops out and it seems like Lenora has the stone we’re after. Alder asks me if I’m ok with fighting N, and I am so I say yes, obviously. I’ll gladly beat N up some more, he deserves it for his crimes against my Pokemon. *cough* Hachiman *cough*

So I’m given the light stone and then we realise we can’t really awaken it. So they tell me to head to the dragon type gym to see if they have any ideas. Because clearly that's the best solution.

So I fly back to Icirrus city and head for route 8, which I somehow didn't notice earlier. Excitingly, this also means it’s encounter time!
First up is a palpitoad so dupe clause takes effect. Then I get a level 30 male shelmet!
250px-616Shelmet.png

I decide to let Gungnir, now level 35, try and catch it. One ultra ball later and I catch him.

I name him Ephialtes after one of the 2 Aloadae giants who tried to break into Olympus by stacking a load of rocks on each other outside the mountain Olympus is on. Oh and also he somehow captured Ares with the other Aloadae giant, Otus.

Ephialtes has the shell armour ability and a timid nature, but since he can't evolve without trading he's going on the bench.
Moving on, as I travel through route 8 Gungnir evolves into Beartic!
beartic.jpg

So now we've got a big ol polar bear on the team. Cool.

As I reach the end of the route Bianca shows up and challenges me to a battle. How fun.

I beat her team no problem, because at this point are you really surprised?

She gives me a full restore and tells me to stop team plasma and then leaves, because again, leaving as suddenly as you appeared is clearly a character trait of gen 5 rivals from my experience.

So I enter tubeline bridge which is pretty cool, and then at the end of the bridge I’m surrounded by the shadow triad with Ghetsis in front of me. How fun.

The shadow triad disappear again (cowards) and after threatening me and being a bit less cryptic about the team plasma plot Ghetsis leaves too, making the whole conversation largely pointless. Thanks Ghetsis, you useless bugger.

I exit the bridge and find that I’m on route 9, which means after blasting my way through the trainers, it’s encounter time once again!
This time I stumble upon a minccino which I already have. So I go for another encounter and it's a...
624Pawniard.png

Level 31 male Pawniard! Interesting.

I name him Dainsleif which is an obscure sword in Norse mythology which according to its myth, cannot be sheathed until it has taken a life. I thought that sounded pretty cool, so I went with it.

Dainsleif has the defiant ability and a relaxed nature, but despite the fact I do think Pawniard is pretty cool, he's going on the bench for now.
Anyway I get to Opelucid city and find Alder and team plasma there. Oh joy.

We let them walk away, for some reason, and the crowd which was also present also leaves. I also notice 2 people still here, one of which is Iris from way back in Castelia city. The other guy is Drayden, the 8th gym leader. Again, how fun.

Alder leaves to go back to his Pokemon league and fight N, which definitely won't go well in my opinion, and I head to Drayden’s house with Iris, after healing at the pokecentre of course.

I enter, and Drayden tells me that Zekrom and Reshiram were once the same Pokemon. They then got split because two brothers got into a fight over values and eventually they reached a stalemate. It's interesting, but it's still exposition so hurry up!!

Turns out they don’t know how to awaken Reshiram but it’s probably gym time now, so who cares! Even though my entire reason for coming here failed, I can get my final gym badge!

I train the whole team to level 40 except for Ra, who was already level 41, and Gungnir, who is 41 and will be running point for this final gym.

Sobek also evolves into his final form, Krookodile.
krookodile.jpg

Awesome.

So after some training it’s time for Drayden’s gym. Hopefully Gungnir will have enough to handle it, but I do have Izanami as a backup option if absolutely necessary.

You'll notice that once again, there isn't a new section for this gym. This is because the results were similar to last time.

I 1 shot my way through the trainers and by the time I finally reach Drayden, Gungnir has gone up to level 44.

I think you see how this is gonna go.

Gungnir 1 shots all 3 of his pokemon, and that's that, no problem.

So I get my final gym badge (yay) and the TM for dragon tail, which is nice, and from there I've officially completed the gyms of Pokemon Black! Hooray.

Overall, I think the gyms were pretty easy for me to beat. At a certain point I was just able to blast my way through the gym pokemon without any problems so it became quite trivial. I'd say the hardest gym was definitely electric though, that took some serious brain power to get through unscathed.

Once outside I find the professor and she shows me to a place where I can get to route 10. She also gives me a master ball, which will potentially come in handy later down the line.

So, as usual I head to the pokemon centre, and I think I'll end this one here! As usual, the current squad is below. Next chapter we will take on the elite 4 so the update might be late, so bear that in mind if I'm unable to get chapter 10 up tomorrow.
nnSkzkP.png
Thank you for reading this latest chapter of the post!

As always, feel free to comment any thoughts you have down below, including thoughts on what's happened, things I could do to improve, or if you have any ideas for mythological nicknames!

With that, I'll see you in chapter 10! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hi viewer, welcome to chapter 10!

Sorry it took so long this time, but I had to do a fair amount of grinding and it took a while to push through the victory road, elite 4 and team plasma so that's why I've taken so long getting this post together!

Anyway, here's the contents page as usual:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 (you are here right now!)
Chapter 11

With that, let's begin chapter 10!
So, it’s time to prepare for the elite 4. Here's my very brief breakdown of the elite 4 and who is best to use for each fight.

First up is Shauntal so Sobek and Theseus are in the team to deal with her ghost types.

Next, we have Grimsley. If we Chuck Ra and Muninn in they should be able to handle this.

Next is Caitlin, who again, Sobek can handle.

Finally we have Marshal, who Muninn can theoretically handle as long as they’re not weak to fighting, which they hopefully shouldn’t be.

So in total that means we only NEED Sobek, Muninn and possibly Ra and Theseus to be on the team, which was part of the plan anyway. I need to leave a slot in the team for when we encounter Reshiram, so the team for the elite 4 will be Theseus, Muninn, Ra, Sobek and I’ll chuck Izanami in for the sake of levelling her up. Plus she should be able to evolve at some point along the line and having a haxorus will be pretty useful for the elite 4 and team plasma fights.

So after sending Gungnir back to the bench I proceed onwards to route 10. I do grind my team up a bit as well, to about level 43. Nothing more to report there.

In route 10 I try and interact with a pokeball only to realise that it’s a foongus. I try and lower its health but end up one shotting it by accident. oops. At this point I'm not massively bothered about encounters since I think the bench is already pretty strong so we don't exactly NEED many more pokemon.

Cheren and Bianca stop me as I try to pass the route 10 bridge, and Cheren challenges me to a battle. Typical.

....It was a tough one, with several of my mons going into yellow health several times, but we pull through without too much issue, and Cheren has once again had his butt kicked. You'd think he'd have learned by now.

Cheren heals my Pokemon and Bianca gives me some max revives, which are useless to me, but whatever, thanks anyway. They both then leave and I continue on my way.

I get to the gates to victory road and after finding grass, I need to do some research to see where I am. Turns out this is still technically route 10 as far as I know so no encounter allowed here. :(

So, with that I pass through all the 8 gates and I'm in victory road. Yay. 🎉

Time for an encounter, but honestly at this point I might just skip it since I get a Durant, which really isn’t that useful. I’ve got plenty of options on the bench at this point. So I just kill it and move on.

I slog my way through victory road, battling the trainers I come across and after gaining a few levels I reach the Pokemon league. My Pokemon need levelling up to about level 48-50 now in order to stand a chance, so I take them back to victory road to train.

During this time Izanami evolves into a Haxorus.

1200px-612Haxorus.png

I don't think it's controversial to say Haxorus is a cool looking pokemon. Plus it means Izanami will be more powerful for when I face the elite 4. Yay.

After training the rest of the team up to level 48 as well as stocking up on more potions and healing items, it’s time for the elite 4. Fingers crossed I can survive this gauntlet.
I start with Shauntal, and get whisked up into her arena. Sobek takes the lead here, with other mons swapping in as necessary. Here's the rundown of how things went.

She opens with a Cofagrigus, which Sobek takes down but it takes longer than I’d like due to a full restore. This does mean he loses moxie though because of munny (dangit). Next is Jellicent, and since I’m not confident I decide to stick Izanami in to see what she can do to it. I double dragon dance for an attack boost and Izanami tanks 2 shadow balls before I heal up and go for a dragon claw. It’s a 1 hit KO. Nice.

Next is golurk, which I move Sobek back in for. 3 crunches and a close call with Sobek’s healthand the golurk faints. Finally we have Chandelure, and I decide to swap in Theseus. Theseus barely manages to tank 2 shadow balls but does the job and finishes the fight with 2 surfs.

So long Shantal, see you in the rematch.

Next up, Grimsley. I’m gonna start with Sobek but this one is gonna be a team effort, I think. Up we go to the arena.

First up, Scrafty. Ra starts with fire punch then uses flair blitz and blitzes their health (see what I did there?), killing it.

Next up is Krookadile, so out goes Theseus. I use surf, then after healing due to taking a surprisingly powerful earthquake, and watching as Grimsley also heals, I decide on drain punch as it’ll help me tank 2 earthquake hits. This works, and I decide to swap Sobek in next since Ra is still pretty low on health. I take a turn to heal Ra before swapping him in since Sobek takes a bug type attack. After some more healing due to a crit, I 1 shot with flair blitz which once again hammers my health. The final Pokemon, liepard, goes down as well. Good. Also praise Ra.

So far so good, the first 2 elite 4 members are down, and it’s on to number 3, Caitlin. Sobek will somewhat take the lead cause it’s a psychic gym but I will need other pokemon too since there are lots of dangerous counter's for Sobek's typing.

Reuniclus is up first, which has focus blast so we’re off to a great start. I decide to start with Izanami, and all things considered it goes all right. Next up is Sigilyph so I decide, screw it, let’s just use Ra. 1 flare blitz later and it goes down. Good choice, praise Ra.

Next is Gothitelle, so I swap Sobek in at last to take the lead and finish the last 2 pokemon on her team. The gothitelle ends up not attacking since it chose to calm mind me. Bad idea, since Sobek outspeeds and promptly dumps Gothitelle out of the fight in 2 hits. Finally it’s Musharna, which Sobek one shots. Good.

And now for the final elite 4 member, Marshal. He’s fighting type, but I think Muninn can take the lead here since surprisingly enough she’s not weak to fighting despite the normal typing.

So, we begin the final elite 4 battle. I immediately go for fly against Throh, because who wouldn’t. Muninn tanks the stone edge, thank god, and knocks out Throh.

I send in Izanami for Sawk since Muninn needs to heal after that. Izanami defeats the Sawk in 2 hits (yay) and then for conkeldurr I swap Muninn back in. Muninn just about tanks the stone edge and after 2 fly attacks, defeats conkeldurr. Izanami goes back in for Mienshao, and after a dragon pulse, a heal and a lucky crit dragon claw, mienshao goes down.

And with that, it's all over. We did it! Elite 4 round 1 is a success, no casualties involved. Wonderful.

After returning to the main room, I interact with the now glowing statue and move on into what I assume is the champion area, although I suspect it won’t be like this for long.

Inside I find N and Alder, where N seems to have beaten alder. Oh dear, that doesn't bode well.

Then the castle of team plasma appears after N shouts for it. Hoo boy.

It surrounds the champion area and a load of bridges appear, how fun.

N tells me to meet him in the castle, then leaves. Cheren also shows up (how’d he even get here??) and after some dialogue I advance into the castle where I find 6 of the 7 sages.

They plan on attacking me but then Clay shows up, and the Pokemon theme starts playing. Hoo boy.

And then some other people show up, and it’s most of the gym leaders. I say most because Iris shows up despite not being a gym leader, and the first gym leader is nowhere to be seen. Clearly he wasn’t up to the challenge. They agree to hold off the sages whilst I head onwards into the castle, which is nice of them.

I encounter a shadow triad member who rather helpfully tells me where to go to heal my Pokemon. That’s strangely nice of them. They still don't fight me though, the cowards.

I heal in the healer room, and continue onwards. Inside the rooms I find plasma grunts who oddly enough don’t attack me. Huh.

I also find a teleportation grunt, which is weird, and a grunt who gave me an ultra ball, which is also weird. There doesn't seem to be any battles in here so far, which I wasn't expecting. One grunt even references team galactic and team rocket. I also come across a very strange playroom, and my guess is it belonged to N or something.

Finally I reach what I assume is the room with N in it. Ghetsis shows up however and stops me from entering. Then he spouts more dialogue and stands out of my way. A shame, I was hoping to battle him. Maybe next time.

Inside the room, N is on a throne. It’s time. The final fight with N approaches.

N summons Zekrom, who flies in for battle, and does some lightning stuff which destroys the area around me. How fun.

Then the light stone starts rumbling, which means it’s time for Reshiram to make an appearance. The stone flies up into the air and out pops Reshiram, who looks just as frightening as Zekrom except it’s nicer since it’s probably on my side.
250px-643Reshiram.png

Time to catch Reshiram. It’s considered an encounter and since N’s castle is a new area, it’s technically legal. Which is good, because I'm gonna need this Reshiram for the fight ahead of me.

So, one master ball later, and Reshiram is mine! Yay.

Only one name is suitable for this legendary Pokemon. I name it Odin, after the allfather from Norse mythology and ruler of Asgard. A fitting name, don't you think? Odin also comes with the turboblaze ability and a Timid nature.

N heals my Pokemon, which really wasn’t necessary but whatever, and we battle. Hopefully for the last time.

N starts with Zekrom, I start with Odin since it seems to have moved to the front of my party, which is fine since I wasn't planning on using anyone else. Zekrom is too scary for that.

Anyway, 2 dragon breath attacks from Odin and Zekrom falls. Good.

Next up is Carracosta, and I send in Izanami to try and take it down. It takes time, but the carracosta does go down eventually, although it required one or two stone edge misses to pull off.

Next is Vanilluxe, which should be easy pickings for Ra. And it is, to absolutely nobody's surprise.

Next, Theseus takes down N’s archeops relatively fast, but does take a decent hit which sends him into the yellow zone, and Ra comes back in to take care of Klinklang with relative ease.

Finally it’s Zoroark, which I use Odin to try and defeat. Odin lands a crit fusion flare and kills (yes!).

Honestly that went about as well as it could have. N has been defeated, and he seems to be taking it fairly well in my opinion.

However, all is not well as now Ghetsis has appeared. Turns out he “shares the name harmonia” with N (are they related?) and he explains how he wants to rule the world and the whole moral grey message was just a ruse. Dangit, and here I thought Ghetsis actually believed in the whole "pokemon should be set free" plan.

Then he comes to fight me, and it’s time for a battle! Finally, I've been waiting for this chance.

First up it’s Cofagrigus which I swap Sobek in for. Sobek deals with it without any real problems.

Next it’s Hydreigon, and I feel like my only real chance here is Odin. He takes a hit and deals half damage with dragon breath but I need an opening to kill it since I don't reckon Odin can take another hit, which is unfortionate.

Luckily I get the chance when I swap into Muninn and take an attack when swapping in before using fly (with quick claw letting me go first, luckily), which somehow crits leaving the Hydreigon dead and me with 5hp on Muninn. Damn, that was close, but it worked.

Next is Bisharp, much more manageable. After beating it into the ground with Ra I leave him in for the bouffalant, since Ra has hammer arm, and I get another crit (likely thanks to the scope lens) which kills it. Great.

Finally, we have seismitoad. Damn, I'm not 100% sure what to do here.

I send in Izanami, which seems to have been a smart move as it only uses earthquake which I can take, and Izanami takes it down despite Ghetsis using a full restore at one point.

Finally, we have Eelectross, and since it isn’t water type like I thought I send in Sobek. 2 hits later and the Eelectross goes down, thus ending the battle with Ghetsis.

After an admittedly complex battle, particularly with that Hydreigon, it’s all over. Ghetsis is carried away, and N wants to talk to us.

He tells me my Pokemon wanted to be with me (awww), and this apparently made him unsure, then he leaves and I get the credits roll! Too bad that's not the end of the run, because I think it would have been a nice way to end things. Oh well.

After the credits I see what I assume is Zekrom zooming off and then my game saves for me. That’s nice.

After relaunching the game I find myself back in my room. Huh. I guess we've got to fly all the way back if we want to start prepping for the second round against the elite 4.

I also find that suddenly I have 2 mums downstairs who both look identical. Weird, where did the other one come from. Is this another zoroark or something?

One of them takes off their disguise and reveals themselves as Looker, who if I remember correctly is from gen 4. Nice to meet you, I guess?

He asks me to go looking for the sages, who have all run off, and then gives me a super rod.

I leave the house and Cheren and Bianca are there. Cedric also appears and gives me the National Pokédex (ooh). Now the "fun" part begins, where I have to grind up my mons to about level 70+ in order to stand a chance against the elite 4. Oh joy.

After flying to the Pokemon centre in Opelucid city, I make a few decisions on how I'm gonna set up for the future fight ahead of me.

I’m gonna give Izanami the move grass knot, which gives coverage for elite 4 round 2, and I’m gonna swap Gungnir in for Odin cause Alder has a dragon type which I need a solid counter for. Sorry Odin, you're a cool mon but I've already got a fire and a dragon type, which I'm gonna keep on the team instead of you.

With that, I think I'll leave this chapter here. I'll release another chapter within a week or so which will detail my progress in the grinding for round 2, but posts are going to be more infrequent since I've basically got to go through different postgame bits in order to finish this run. With that in mind, I might take this time to start up another run separate to this to tide people over, so if you're interested look out for that. I won't say much yet but It'll involve a lot more pictures, and it'll be a blind run of a... very "sweet" pokemon game, from what I can tell. ;)

Anyway, enough teasing, here's the current squad after this chapter!
4gt6ZYw.png
Thank you for reading this latest chapter of the post! As I said at the end of the chapter, posts here will be more infrequent as i'll be doing a lot of grinding, so I'm going to say that there'll be an update on the 12th of July (so next week, roughly) where I'll go over my progress with the postgame and grinding.

Also, don't forget to keep an eye out for the new run I'm planning, which I hinted at in this chapter as well. It'll probably start sometime this week, which is something I'm fairly excited about, as I'll be able to provide gameplay photos which'll make it more interesting than just a load of text (I hope). 🤣

With that, I'll see you in chapter 11 next week! :)

Last edited:

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
hello everyone, I have an important update regarding this run, so let's just get straight into it.

You may have seen a post I made yesterday (in a separate section of the forums) about this nuzlocke where I talked about how I was considering ending the run here, since I really wasn't enjoying the grind and I didn't want to get burned out from it.

After seeing the responses to that and thinking it over, here's what I'm gonna do: For the time being, I'm going to put this run on a hiatus.

This doesn't mean I won't be working on the run but I won't be updating on this thread until I'm at about level 65 ish with my pokemon. This is because at around level 65 I will actually be able to advance past route 11 without getting obliterated, and it means the other half of the map will open up so I can actually write about me doing something interesting. 🤣

I do expect that this grinding might take a long time, hence why I'm putting the run on a temporary hiatus rather than just delaying the next post. If you want to keep up to date on when the hiatus will end, I will update my status page when I'm ready to begin posting on here again.

So, that's about everything i have to say for now regarding the run. Thanks for reading (and understanding, hopefully 🤣) and I'll see you at a later date. :)

PsyduckEnthusiast

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Well hello there viewer! It has been quite some time!

I'm finally finished with my incredibly long grinding session, and It's time to finish what I started. Well, kind of. There's another chapter after this so I'm not really "finishing what I started". I'm just having an explore whilst I prepare to finish what I started. 🤣

Jokes aside though, this is it. The final stretch approaches. I hope you're all ready, and if not, refer to this contents page to check what's happened previously. Even I needed a quick refresher before I started writing this!

Also, another quick point before we begin. Whilst I was doing my grinding, this series got a shoutout in the hidden gems showcase! I'm unsure who nominated the series as it's listed as anonymous, but whoever you are, you have my most sincere thanks. Being nominated was a big factor in my determination to get the grinding finished, and without it it's entirely possible I would have taken even longer to get to this point! So once again, thank you anonymous user! :)

Anyway, that's enough of that. It's time to begin. Welcome to chapter 11, friends...
So, after a very long hiatus, all my Pokemon have now been dragged up to level 65, and for this chapter we’re gonna explore the rest of the map whilst taking on every trainer along the way. Also it’s worth mentioning that before this point I failed the route 11 encounter and fought one trainer. This was a long time ago so I can’t exactly recall the details, sorry about that. On that note, I'll also probably purposefully fail the encounters as i go since at this point my team is pretty much solidified.

Also, another added bit of fun to this run is that at this point I literally CANNOT afford another death purely because the time it would take to grind a new team member up is just too much for me. 😂

If I lost literally anyone on the team before the elite 4 I'd end up crying into my pillow, so let's try and avoid that, yeah?

Let’s begin with the lady on the metal bridge thing in route 11. She opens with a level 64 Rapidash, and the newly bulked up Theseus starts for us. It seems fitting to me that our starter replacement kicks things off for us, and Theseus tanks a flare blitz like a champion and one shots with surf. Good lad.

Next up, Cacturne. Ra, you’re up buddy. You know what happens next.

Oh how I've missed this gif.

Mantine is the last Pokemon, and I decide to let Theseus come back out to take it on. Problem is, drain punch doesn’t do enough so there goes that plan. Gungnir it is!

After taking 2 pretty big hits I heal up Gungnir and take out the Mantine without any further fuss.

I head back to the Pokemon centre to heal (I’m probably gonna be doing this a lot 🤣) and go up against the next trainer, who seems to be speaking another language. Truth be told I thought I'd accidentally done something to my 3DS and changed the language, but no, the game's just being a dick for no real reason. Thanks GameFreak.

They send out a Snover, which can easily be taken care of by Ra (I hope). He gets a crit, not that he needs it, and the Snover falls. Praise Ra.

Also, this seems like a good place to point out that this sort of battle will be happening quite a lot, to my surprise. As it turns out the trainers aren't that powerful, even though level wise they're pretty close to my team.

I exit onto the village bridge, and I decide to just cross the bridge for the time being, but before that we have another trainer. This time round it’s a full 6 mon team, oh joy. First up, a level 60 zubat, which admittedly made me chuckle a bit. Clearly GameFreak temporarily forgot how their own evolution mechanics work.

Theseus one shots it with surf, and next up is doduo, so in comes Sobek, looking as annoyed as ever. That fight ends pretty quick, and next up is Slugma. Theseus swaps back in, kills it and I decide to leave Theseus in for the upcoming Poochyena. Again, 1 hit ko, next is nosepass. It's a bloodbath, obviously. After that brief battle it’s electrike, so Sobek comes back in. The fight ends after that, so that 6 mon team was clearly not very imposing.

I use Theseus to surf my way over to the other side and face a trainer who opens with Amoonguss. Muninn gets sent in, and takes it out in 2 hits no problem. Next is Ekans, and on a whim I decide to let Izanami have a go at this. She's pretty powerful, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes. It’s a 1 shot kill, which was to be expected in all honesty. Izanami stays on for the next Pokemon, grimer, and for the last Pokemon, seviper. Both are eliminated without any real fuss.

After that, I wander over to what looks like a cook and a battle starts. It starts with me facing a Combee, so Ra comes in to decimate it (praise Ra). After it dies, next up is ursaring, which I leave Ra in for, because why not, Ra has hammer arm.

When the battle inevitably ends in victory, I end up becoming a waiter, even though I have no idea how I got to this point. I'm told to deliver sandwiches, which is just stupid, however what's even more stupid is that despite it being a pretty simple minigame, I end up messing up one of the orders like a right fool.

After that embarassment I decide to run away in shame and head on into the next area, route 12.

Time for trainer battle 1, and it starts with shuppet. I decide to let Theseus attack it, and I end up one shotting it, which is a nice surprise. Theseus also goes up to level 66. Cacnea is next, and I use Ra to dispose of it quickly. Next up is Phanpy and despite the potential risk I leave Ra in. He does end up killing it though, which is good. Not even being at a potential disadvantage can stop Ra.

Next is Skitty, so Ra stays in once again and after healing to be safe (Phampy did do a fair bit of damage) I defeat it with hammer arm. Next is Snorunt, and again Ra can be used here. A one shot later and down it goes. Ra has once again carried the team with the power of THE SUN (not the newspaper, that sucks).

Time for the next trainer, who starts with a level 63 weedle, which is really pointless tbh. why wouldn't you evolve the damn thing?? Ra makes short work of it, and next up is a beedrill, which makes a bit more sense. Clearly the trainer has a few screws since they simultaneously can and can't evolve their pokemon correctly After Ra hits level 66 I decide to swap in Muninn for the last Pokemon, kakuna (at this point I'm not even surprised). She kills it with relative ease.

We move on, the next battle starts and it’s against Makuhita! Izanami gets swapped in for this one, and one shots it with dragon pulse. Since Riolu is next I decide to leave Izanami in and this leads to another one shot. Finally, Izanami also takes out the tyrogue. As a reward I do get a sitrus Berry, which is nice. Izanami is definitely channelling Ra's power here.

Later on I also encounter a double battle, yippee. I use Izanami and Muninn and we face 2 identical looking Swoobats, interesting. It doesn’t take long for us to beat them into submission.

The next battle starts with a level 64 paras. I swear, this game has gone insane. Anyway Izanami dragon pulses it into oblivion and the next mon, wormadam, meets a similar fate. Poor guy.

After that, we finally reach the next area, Lacunosa town. “A town where all honour old customs, living as methodically as clockwork”. That sounds incredibly sinister. Am I going to get attacked by clockwork robots or something??

Luckily, I'm not attacked at any point, so I heal at the Pokemon centre and then do a bit of light exploring. I don’t really get anything though, other than some comments about a monster which comes out at night. How fun.

I move straight on to route 13, and the first trainer I find sends a buneary at me, as if I'm going to be shaking in my boots.

I decide to swap Gungnir in to defeat it and I leave him on for the next Pokemon, Snubbull. After that, for shroomish (the last mon) I also leave on Gungnir. Turns out icicle clash is super effective and the battle ends there, which admittedly did surprise me. After spending so long in Pokemon Sweet, my understanding of the type chart has been somewhat skewed. 🤣

Next battle, and the first mon is a nincada. After Muninn takes it out, she also takes out the mothim and metapod which follow it. No surprise there.

The next trainer I fight down on the beach opens with a tentacool, so I use Muninn take it down. The next Pokemon, Qwilfish, also goes down thanks to Muninn. For the final mon, tentacruel, I send in Gungnir, who is able to defeat it thanks to icicle crash doing a surprising amount of damage.

I take a moment to fly back and heal before continuing onwards along the route, and the next trainer has a full team of 6, how exciting. They open with a magikarp at level 60, which is “terrifying”. Despite ice type moves not being very effective, it’s a one shot for Gungnir. As it turns out, the next mon is a magikarp too. And the next one. And the next one. And so on and so forth. Needless to say, this battle wasn’t much of a struggle. Why this fisherman thought he stood a chance with 6 Magikarps is beyond me.

The next battle is more challenging than the magikarp trainer, although that really isn’t saying much. They open with a Surskit, but immediately baton pass into goldeen. Ok, fine.

2 icicle crashes from Gungnir take care of it, and seaking is up next. It takes some doing but Gungnir takes it down with other attacks since the pp on icicle crash is now gone (thanks magikarp). After quickly healing, Gungnir also takes down the surskit with brine and frost breath. After this happens, Gungnir levels up and I continue onwards.

Next up is a double battle, and Sobek comes out with Izanami for this one. The opponents are Plusle and Minun, perfect. One earthquake later and the battle is over before it really began.

The next trainer to arrive at the arena of death (aka wherever I find myself at any given time) has 2 mons; and starts with a Farfetch’d, interesting. It goes down after a crit foul play and the next mon out is granbull. It’s not long before it also falls before Sobek, who looks completely uninterested in this development.

The next battle opens with a kricketot, which is a very simple one hit ko with crunch. Chimeco comes in, it ends the same way. Once again, Sobek doesn't really care. He does level up to 66 though, so at least he's improving on his ability to not care.

I continue onwards and hit Undella town, so we’re gonna heal and then make a dash for Black city, which will mean we’ve unlocked all the towns/cities in the game. Yay.

So, I cycle onto route 14, which is suddenly very foggy for some reason. It does create a somewhat creepy atmosphere but the music is also somewhat upbeat so it's not that bad.

The first trainer I find has 4 Pokemon and starts with a barboach. Theseus uses drain punch to take it down with ease. Next up is whiscash, who also gets repeatedly drain punched to death. Next up, corphish. Drain punch also defeats it in a couple of turns. Finally, Carvanha comes out and drain punch does supereffective damage so this whole battle was essentially a bloodbath. Nice job Theseus. Drain punch is pretty useful, as it turns out.

However, before we continue onwards I have to head back to undella town as I realised that I've missed an entire section of trainers: the Riches.

The first trainer is named draco, which as someone who read Harry Potter is just funny to me, and has a buizel as his only Pokemon. Needless to say this fight ends pretty quickly with drain punch KO’ing in 2 turns.

He then takes me inside and shows me the villa, which to be fair is pretty big. Bigger than it looks on the outside, that’s for sure.

Apparently this is all I can do battle wise with the riches (for now) so After speaking to a guy who pays me for a flute I found at some point, I head back to route 14 and continue towards black city.

Next battle, the trainer has 3 Pokemon and opens with a primeape. He does do a lot of damage with close combat but surf knocks it down to 1hp so I’m not super worried. I heal up and it takes recoil damage (possibly due to the Rocky helmet, I kinda zoned out in this fight🤣) and kills it. Nice.

Next up, scrafty, and Theseus tries a surf but it barely does anything. So I put down a rain dance and try again. One surf and one scald later and the battle is over. Theseus levels up to level 67, which is good, and Finally we have poliwrath so I decide to send Izanami in to finish the job. Unfortunately this doesn’t exactly go to plan as dragon pulse doesn’t do as much as I was expecting. Oh dear. Dragon claw does a bit more which is good, but Izanami getting confused by the poliwrath means I take a confusion hit. Luckily the next turn I land a hit and take down the poliwrath. Good.

In the next battle, the opponent has a single Numel as their mon, and Izanami makes quick work of it as a result, but not before taking a critical hit which does a significant amount of damage. Not gonna lie, I did panic a little at this stage, but at least it sorted itself out by the end.

The next trainer has 3 Pokemon, and opens with a purugly. Izanami does end up in yellow health but a dragon pulse and dragon claw are enough to take it down. Next up is espeon, interesting. I decide to swap out to Ra, see if he can do something, and he lands a crit flare blitz which kills. Nice. Finally it’s Lapras and I swap in Muninn to finish the job, because why not.

After that, we make it into black city, which is very big, and as the name suggests, very dark. I heal up at the pokemon centre., and I think I’ll end this chapter here. I apologise if this chapter felt a bit short, but truthfully when I started making notes for this I was expecting the trainers to put up much more of a fight than they did! 🤣

The plan now is to check around black city to see if there’s any trainers to take on, and then take on the sports arenas and the Riches to grind up to level 70-75 ish. Anywhere between 70 and 75 should be fine for the elite 4, so what I’ll do is do a lot of that in the background and have the final chapter be my attempt at the elite 4 and champion, and if we win I’ll do a little retrospective to look at the journey and how far we’ve come since the beginning of the nuzlocke journey. For now though, here's the usual look at the current squad:
4gt6ZYw.png
So, that's Chapter 11! I can confirm that Chapter 12 will be the final chapter of the run, as I'll be finally finishing the job and taking on Alder. That chapter will be out at some point in the next week or two, so check my status updates to see when I'm releasing that!

So, with that, thank you all once again for your patience on me updating this run, and I'll see you in the finale! :)

Users who are viewing this thread