• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Showcase Let's Play Wait, this isn't Pokémon... (Let's Play: Digimon World)

Thread Description
An informative Let's Play of the original Digimon World!

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
If you're reading this thread, chances are you already know what Digimon is. A series that has had a relatively long history of being rivals with Pokemon, both due to being prolific 'mon raising series, to the point where some people called Digimon a Pokémon ripoff. Today, I'm going to showcase a game that shows just how wrong such a belief is. Specifically, this game:

Ah, the original Digimon World. A game that was way ahead of its time in some areas and far behind in others. It's also one of the Digimon games that is closest to the franchise's roots, alongside its two sequels, those being Digimon World: Re:Digitize (whose 3DS updated re-release, Digimon World: Re:Digitize Decode just got an english translation patch) and Digimon World: Next Order. (Digimon World 2 is not a sequel, nor are Digimon World 3 and Digimon World 4). This game is part exploration-focused, part rpg and part raising sim, the last part being why it's so close to the franchise's roots as a virtual pet. I have fond memories of this one, even if half the time the best Champion I could get as a kid was Tyrannomon (and more often than not, I ended up with the dreaded Numemon). Having replayed it a few times as I got older, I came to understand more about the game and appreciate it a lot more- especially given how there's basically nothing like Digimon World and its two sequels on the market right now. Digimon World does have its faults, notably its bad translation and the fact that basically nothing about how evolutions work is explained to you, if you can get past that (typically via using a guide), the game itself is remarkably fun and perhaps due to the fact that nothing has tried to imitate it, it's a game that's aged incredibly well for the time it came out.

This playthrough will be using this randomizer to patch the game with a bunch of quality of life changes, including fixing most of the glitches in the game. I'll note when things have changed from vanilla, so don't worry about inaccuracies between my playthrough and a totally vanilla Digimon World 1 playthrough.

Upon the game starting up, we get this neat little intro featuring a pair of kids initiating a battle between two of the game's Perfect/Ultimate levels: MetalGreymon and MetalMamemon. You can see the intro here:

After going through the title screen and starting a new game, we're greeted by a curious fellow.

This is Jijimon, and he's here to ask a few questions. The first question changes the second question, but it's your answer to the second question that matters most.

The first question is: do you have a Digivice? It doesn't matter whether you say yes or no here. I said yes.

If you answered yes, you get this as your second question. This influences the Digimon you start with. I picked Night.

If you answered no, you get this rather rude question as your second question. It's the same story as far as your starting Digimon is concerned, though.

Regardless of which second question you got, you'll then get asked your name. In my case, I just use my usual name for playthroughs, Greg.

Lastly, he'll ask you your Digimon's name. I use the usual name I give for the single Digimon Partner you get, which is named after my favourite video game character (That is to say, I called him Sonic).

After that, Jijimon walks off. There's another cutscene detailing me getting sucked into Digimon World through their v-pet, and I fall unconscious as this happens. Cue a fade to black, and then...

Music: File City (Day)

We're unceremoniously dropped in the middle of a circle of Digimon, while they're happily noting that Jijimon's plan worked- it was Jijimon who brought us here! Outside of Jijimon and one other Digimon in this list, the rest of them are all Fresh/Baby I Digimon. And as I'm sure you've guessed, Jijimon's not playable. That Digimon down at the bottom? That's our partner. If we had picked the top option for Question 2 in Jijimon's quiz, (That is to say, 'Day' to which time you prefer, and 'Yes' to if you have friends), this would have been a different Digimon.

Eventually, we wake up, questioning where we are. Jijimon then welcomes us to Digimon World, and explains the situation: Digimon have been going insane and leaving the city, and Jijimon wants us to figure out what's going on and put a stop to it.

It's here where we actually gain control of our character, with our partner following behind us. Those two gauges at the bottom right are Happiness (top) and Discipline (bottom). Keeping both high is the key to your Digimon growing strong and living a long life: Happiness increases a Digimon's lifespan, Discipline increases the chance it will listen to you and increases stat gains from training. The clock at the top-left shows what time of day it is. Some events require specific times of day!

Next are the stats of our Digimon Partner. Name is obvious. We can also see what type of Digimon it is, what said Digimon's specialty, type and active hours are, its age, weight, parameters and condition. To explain these as they go...

Specialty is what type of techniques it can learn, more on that in a second.

Type comes in one of either Vaccine, Virus or Data. Gabumon is a Data-type. In vanilla, some events require a certain type of Digimon, but the Randomizer patch I'm using removes that restriction.

A Digimon's active hours dictate what time it will wake up and what time it will want to sleep. 'groggy' in this case means it wakes up at 7:00am and goes to sleep at 10:00pm.

Age is how old a Digimon is in days- a year in the Digital World only lasts 30 days. A well-raised Digimon's average life span is typically 11-18 days, depending on whether you make it to Perfect/Ultimate or not.

To note, a Digimon's life cycle can be approximated to this:

Baby I/Fresh and Baby II/In-Training will be there for the first day of the Digimon's life. You'll then spend up to the next four days as a Child/Rookie before evolving into Adult/Champion. From there, your Digimon will typically live to around 11-14 as an Adult, extended by 4 days if you get a Perfect/Ultimate. After which, it dies, reincarnates into a new egg which immediately hatches into a Baby I/Fresh and the cycle starts anew.

Weight is how heavy your Digimon is. It may not seem like it at first, but this is important- weight management is crucial for getting good Adult/Champions and Perfect/Ultimates!

Each Digimon starts with three Lives, measured in hearts. If you lose a battle or leave your Digimon sick for more than 11 hours, your Digimon will lose a life. I don't think I need to explain what happens if your Digimon loses all three lives, right?

I already explained Happiness and Discipline.

The Virus Gauge is a indicator of how many times your Digimon has pooped on the floor- yes, your Digimon WILL need to poop every now and again and failing to do so will have it go on the floor, making it angry, causing it to lose discipline, increasing the virus gauge a bit and raising a hidden value called Care Mistakes. Bad things happen if your Virus Gauge fills up completely.

Parameters are pretty self-explanatory for the most part, but let's go over them anyway.

HP and MP are obvious- HP is how much punishment your Digimon can take before going down, MP is how much your Digimon can use their techniques. Offense increases damage dealt, Defense decreases damage taken. Speed increases the rate at which your Digimon attacks, and increases the chance that it will block an attack. Then there's Brains. Brains is a unique stat in that it provides no direct combat benefits to the Digimon itself, but rather, increases the amount of control you have over your Digimon in combat, and increases the chance of your Digimon learning techniques from battles. Training brains also has a chance to teach your Digimon new techniques.

Here we have Techniques. Each Digimon has four technique slots, one of which is reserved for your Digimon's finishing move. There are, discounting Finishers and the Baby-exclusive bubble, 56 techniques in the game, 8 per specialty, of which there are 7: Fire, Battle, Air, Earth, Ice, Mech and Filth. As Gabumon is a Fire and Battle specialty, it can learn Fire and Battle skills, though not necessarily all of them. For instance, as you can see in the table, Gabumon can only learn Fire Techniques 1 and 6, and cannot learn Battle Techniques 2, 6 and 8, and comes knowing Battle Technique 4, Sonic Jab.

As an aside, if I had picked the top answer to question two, I would have gotten an Agumon, who has similar specialties to Gabumon, but is instead active from 4:00am to 7:00 pm, and learns more Fire techniques than Battle techniques.

Out of all usable techniques, Sonic Jab has the second lowest power in the game and is a melee technique, but what it lacks in power, it makes up for in speed. After assessing my partner's stats, I head back into Jijimon's house to get items from Tokomon, and then head up to the north of File City, where Tanemon is running a Meat Farm. (Yes, a Meat Farm), before saving my game at the keychain in Jijimon's house.

I then return to the title screen so I can show off the battle system by using the multiplayer battle mode using a previous save file. After a bit of finagling, I get a battle to start between two of my prior save file's digimon.

In Digimon World, you don't directly control your Digimon. Rather, you give them commands and it's on them to do as you want, with more commands being unlocked via higher brains. The first command is Auto, which basically tells your Digimon to do whatever they want. The second through fourth commands are telling your Digimon to use specific techniques. This is the final brain unlock for commands, replacing two earlier commands that tell your Digimon to go all out when attacking or use weaker attacks to conserve MP. The fifth command tells your Digimon to run away from the target, useful if they're trying to melee you or you've inflicted them with poison. The sixth and final command tells your Digimon to defend themselves, making them stop moving and making them more likely to block attacks.

As you can see here, P1's Digimon isn't looking too hot right now, after taking too many hits. On top of that, P2's digimon has got their finisher ready! As the battle goes on, you'll see the word "Finish", form below your HP and MP. After that, all you need to do is press square and...

The Digimon will start glowing. After this, you need to mash the L1 and R1 buttons to fill the gauge above it. The more you do so, the more damage the finisher deals!

Now that's a lot of damage! Finishers are DEADLY, especially when fully mashed (This was an unmashed finisher. When Whamon retaliated with its own, fully mashed, it did nearly double the amount this one did), but an ill-timed finisher can be interrupted if the target Digimon is in the middle of an attack (and since your Digimon doesn't move while charging its finisher, it's likely it WILL get hit)! If a finisher is interrupted you don't get the Finish Gauge back, so be careful!

Eventually, the fight ends due to time running out, with Meramon being declared the winner due to being in better condition. In the main game, against Wild Digimon, this timer doesn't exist, so the fight keeps going until either you run away, or one side's HP hits 0. If your Digimon's HP hits zero, a timer will start counting down from 5, and if it hits 0 before you revive your Digimon with an item, the battle is considered lost. You'll lose some of your items and BITs, and your Digimon will lose a life, possibly resulting in its death, if that was its last life.

And that's everything to know about the start of the game! Next time, we'll get into the real meat of things, and start exploring this strange new world we've found ourselves in!

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
I keep hearing about this game but never actually got around to watching someone play it. Which is weird because like 5 years ago I tried to get into Digimon. Anyways I'll be watching this

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I have no experience with the Digimon franchise, so I'm eager to be taught! 🎓

Happiness increases a Digimon's lifespan
There's nuzlocke built into the game!? 🤯

Brains is a unique stat in that it provides no direct combat benefits to the Digimon itself, but rather, increases the amount of control you have over your Digimon in combat
So are there different AIs depending on this stat? 🤔 I guess the closest equivalent to that in Pokemon could be... the IQ skills in PMD 1 and 2?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's nuzlocke built into the game!? 🤯

So are there different AIs depending on this stat? 🤔 I guess the closest equivalent to that in Pokemon could be... the IQ skills in PMD 1 and 2?
To answer your questions...

1. Noooot quite. You only get 1 Digimon Partner, so it would be impossible if that were the case. Rather, when your 'mon reaches the end of its lifespan or if it loses all three lives, it will become one of four eggs, which then immediately hatches into a baby digimon, causing the Digimon's life cycle to start anew- only carrying over a small percentage of its stats from its past life. The primary difference between the two situations is that if your 'mon runs out of lives, you'll occasionally lose techniques, and won't get to choose which egg your 'mon becomes. I'll go more into detail when that eventually happens (and it will happen, your partner has a finite lifespan and the only items that can increase it either A: take huge amounts of time and effort and has a chance to undo your efforts in trying to raise your partner's lifespan by making them sick, or B: are relegated to after beating the game's superboss which can only be fought after the final boss). I'll go more into it when it actually happens.

2. It's more you get better ways to manipulate your Digimon's AI by giving more specific commands. It's closer to the Tactics menu from the PMD series, with a touch of the Exclusive Move User IQ Skill.

Last time, I entered Digimon World and gave everybody a preview of the battle system. Now, I start playing for real! My first destination is the place where players will typically spend a massive portion of the game. Namely, Green Gym.

Here is where you actually do the job of raising your Digimon's parameters, with each station raising one primary stat and one secondary stat. They are as follows:

Boulder Pushing: HP (Primary) and Offense (Secondary)
Tree Striking: Offense (Primary) and Speed (Secondary)
Punching Glove: Defense (Primary) and Brains (Secondary)
Running: Speed (Primary) and HP (Secondary)
Waterfall: MP (Primary) and Defense (Secondary)
(Player Name)'s Classroom: Brains (Primary) and MP (Secondary)

To start with, I want to get Gabumon's stats all to 100. This not only gives me a chance to show off each training animation goes, but it also allows me to fulfill the parameter requirements for all of Gabumon's evolutions.

When you select a training station, you're given the option to get an explanation, leave or use it to train your Digimon for an hour, raising stats but making your Digimon tired. When you use a training station, you're given the option to do a normal run or a bonus try. This brings up another change from the Randomizer patch: In the vanilla game, Bonus Try is rigged against you to not let you win most of the time, whereas with the randomizer it's purely timing-based. Bonus try comes in the form of a slot machine. If you fail to match any symbols, you only gain half the stats you would have from normal training. If you match symbols, but they aren't the same as the exercise you are doing, you'll gain double the stat gain. If they do match the exercise you're doing, you'll gain 4 times the stat gain.

The exception to this rule as far as Bonus Try is concerned is the golden poop. If you match three golden poop on the bonus try, you'll get a massive 10x stat gain multiplier, which trivializes the game, hence why Bonus try being rigged against you is forgivable. I'm not going to abuse Bonus Try until my first Digimon's life ends.

Anyway, let's start Gabumon's training with HP!

He pushes against a massive rock. Nothing really changes here.

And here are the stat gains for Gabumon's effort. There are ways to improve it later, but those are a ways off.

After two more hours' worth of training, Gabumon gets hungry. Thankfully, between the 3 meat I got from Tokomon, plus the Meat Farm's 3 meat, it's more than enough to fill Gabumon up.

Unfortunately, Gabumon also needs to poop. What this means is that if you don't have a Port. Potty on hand, you need to find a toilet, or else your Digimon will poop on the ground. Pooping on the ground counts as a Care Mistake, which influences your Digimon's evolutionary path, and usually not for the better, to say nothing about bad things happening if your Virus Gauge (which only fills by pooping on the floor) maxes out.

Thankfully, there's a toilet in File City, RIGHT outside the entrance to Green Gym. After this, I opt to do one more round of boulder pushing, then I head back into File City, and enter Jijimon's house.

This is so I can speak to Punimon here, who lets me rest for an hour, restoring my Digimon's HP and MP and reducing fatigue. I then head back to Green Gym and do 4 rounds of Waterfall training (which is literally just it sitting underneath a waterfall doing nothing) to get Gabumon's MP to 1000 before heading southwards and entering the first area of the game, Native Forest. There, I'm immediately ambushed by somebody!

This right here is Agumon, the series mascot. He's also available as one of the two starter Digimon in this game. But in this case, he serves as our tutorial battle!
Music: Major Battle

As you can see, Gabumon is a far cry from the Digimon I used to showcase the battle system back in part 1. Most notably, his command menu is much smaller.

The Agumon I'm fighting here here has two techniques: Sonic Jab and Spit Fire- the two moves you have at the start of the game. He only has 400 HP, which is weaker than even the normal mooks here. He should also have Pepper Breath, Agumon's Finisher, but he'll never last long enough to use it.

This is basically how the battle goes. It's a lot easier if you took Agumon as your starter, as he has the ranged Spit Fire as his first technique, whereas Gabumon has to get in close with Sonic Jab, but Agumon is still a relatively easy boss fight. It's more the fact that having Sonic Jab as your only technique is a bad thing, especially against a fast ranged technique like Spit Fire. Gabumon kept getting interrupted as it tried to attack.

This is why Gabumon had so little HP left after beating Agumon! Battles don't really give much in the way of stats, but they're your only real method of farming BITs for most of the game, and fighting Digimon is also the best way to learn new techniques. After beating Agumon up, we invite him to the city, and so he goes.

Prosperity count: 1/100. Afterwards, I comb the area.

Digimushrooms are an alternative to meat if you're struggling to keep your Digimon well-fed. They appear in Native Forest quite often. After this, Gabumon needed to poop, so I took him to the toilet, then brought him to Green Gym for speed training.

After an hour, Gabumon gets sleepy. This is typically when your Digimon is supposed to turn in for the night. Since Digimon can poop during their sleep, I return to File City's toilet before putting Gabumon to bed for the night.

When your Digimon sleeps, its HP and MP are fully restored and its fatigue is eliminated. You can also save the game when you sleep.

After waking up, I go to Tanemon's Meat Farm to get some more Meat. As I run back towards Green Gym, I notice something that I should point out.

This building was blocked before, but now it's open. One thing of note is that as you recruit Digimon to the City, they'll do various things to expand the city. In Agumon's case, he'll open an item bank that you can store items in. After that, I have Gabumon do five more rounds of speed training and then rest another hour before heading into Native Woods to search for food. As I do that, though, I'm ambushed by a random encounter.
Music: Earlygame Battle

ModokiBetamon here is a step down from Agumon if you believe it. It only has 300 HP, and its attacks, Static Elect, Electric Cloud and Water Blit are worse than Sonic Jab and Spit Fire by virtue of being slower. Water Blit STINGS if it hits, though!

And then bad things happen. Because Gabumon barely scraped by there, it got injured, meaning I have to use a bandage to heal it, or it will get sick. Thankfully, Tokomon gives you two bandages to start with. After healing Gabumon acquiring more Digimushrooms, I head back to Green Gym and start working on Gabumon's other stats.

This time is Defense. Maybe this'll help Gabumon out a bit. Two Hours' training is enough to get it up to 100, so I move onto Brains next. Gabumon gets sleepy after two hours of that, so I put him to bed. After getting the daily harvest of Meat from Tanemon, it's back to training.

Three hours of Brains training gets Gabumon to the first command milestone, which grants me the ability to tell Gabumon to use its strongest attack constantly. This means nothing right now because it has nothing but Sonic Jab, but it'll matter more once I get more techniques.

Three hours of Log Striking gets attack to 100, so I return to Native Forest to forage for more Digimushrooms so Gabumon doesn't go hungry, while juggling that with training MP and Speed, mostly. I also scold Gabumon a lot to try to get its discipline higher. Then I continue a routine of training and foraging until about midway through the third day. Then, something happens. The game hangs on a frame for a moment and I lose control.

I'm sure you get what this means, but in case you didn't- it means Gabumon is evolving. Since it happened before Gabumon is Age 4, I'm 100% sure it's not the dreaded Numemon.

Cue an evolution sequence where the Digimon literally explodes its textures off, and the end result is...

Here's a fun fact: Did you know the Japanese name of this thing's signature move is Fox Fire, despite the damn thing being a wolf?

Anyway, let's check out our newly-evolved Garurumon, shall we?

Pretty big increases to speed and defence, low increases everywhere else. For reference, here's what his stats were as Gabumon:

And his Techniques, too:

More notably is that THANKFULLY, since he cannot use Sonic Jab as a Garurumon, he gets given a new technique for free! Winter Blast is a screen-wide ice tech that has a chance to paralyze the opponent (In this game, 'paralyze' means they can't do anything for 10 seconds). Garurumon's tech list also leans more towards Ice than Battle, a stark change from Gabumon. With this, I know where my next destination is! More specifically, I head down to the southern part of Native Forest...

As I'm sure you've already guessed, this thing is not a flower. I definitely wanted to get this recruitment done ASAP, though, and you'll see why momentarily!

Palmon's techniques here are Poison Claw and Poison Powder, as well as sharing Water Blit with the ModokiBetamon seen around here. Poison Claw is similar to Sonic Jab, except it also has a chance to poison the target. The reason the background is discoloured is because Garurumon fired off Winter Blast.

Garurumon's Winter Blast stunned Palmon, leaving it unable to do anything for 10 seconds, during which Garurumon just fired off more Winter Blasts. Eventually, Palmon gets taken down, and drops a Brain Chip! For those unaware, Chip-type items are stat boosters that increase your Digimon's stats when used. In this case, the Brain Chip gets +50 Brains. That's not the best reward for beating Palmon, though:

Prosperity: 2/100. Palmon's not joking when they say we'll find them useful though- Palmon is one of the most useful recruits in the game for one simple reason: they upgrade the Meat Farm to give you three pieces of Giant Meat instead. Giant Meat is more filling than regular meat and increases weight a bit more. Before I call it for this update, though, there's another battle that needs doing!

Kunemon here is pretty hungry. You feed him something he fights you and then joins the city, and also drops an MP Chip. Their moves are Static Elect, Electric Cloud and Danger Sting.

Kunemon simply opens an eastern exit from File City, useful if you want to actually get a Kunemon. Prosperity: 3/100. I return to the city, storing the dropped chips from Palmon and Kunemon, before paying the former a visit at the meat farm.

Aside from giving you three pieces of Giant Meat a day, you can also buy even more Giant Meat from them for 500 BITs apiece. Palmon is really good to recruit early!

And with that, I think I'll leave it there. Next time will be more recruits and exploring the next two areas: Tropical Jungle and Drill Tunnel!

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Okay I'll say I find it kinda amusing that the method of raising defense being get punched by giant boxing glove.

Wait you get a screen nuke this early!? Sorry if You already answer this but how hard is this game?

I find the fact that a plantlike Digimon upgrades the meat farm kinda weird not gonna lie

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Not got an update ready yet, but I'll answer the questions.

Wait you get a screen nuke this early!? Sorry if You already answer this but how hard is this game?
Winter Blast isn't so much of a nuke as it is a poke, with a nice chance of paralysis, though its MP cost is disproportionately high for its power. The single-target Ice Needle, which has slightly more power and comes out MUCH faster, costs less than half of what Winter Blast does. The REAL screen nukes come much later. If anything, the technique that's actually disproportionately powerful for being able to obtain it this early is the fifth Fire Tech: Magma Bomb, which has more than double the power of Winter Blast for a slightly less MP cost, which can easily be acquired from the Goburimon in Drill Tunnel, west of Native Forest. I'll definitely be going there next update to get Garurumon not only Magma Bomb, but also Spit Fire, which the Goburimon also use (Garurumon can learn both).

Digimon World is pretty hard to be honest (And being real here, a new player probably won't know all the ins and outs needed to get good champions like Greymon and Garurumon on their first try). Because trust me, while it looks simple on the surface, there's a lot beneath the hood. It's easy to navigate Native Forest without much issue (Unless you get one of the Filth-type Digimon, that is), but later areas are BRUTAL and require you to absolutely know what you're doing... or look it up through a guide.

Basically, how evolution works is that each evolution has its own requirements that must be met in order to evolve into that Digimon. You need to meet at least three requirements to evolve. The three universal requirements that each Digimon has are Stats, Weight and Care Mistakes. Stats are self-explanatory (you have to reach those stats to meet the requirement), and Weight's self-explanatory either (Manage your Digimon's weight properly to meet the requirement). Care Mistakes are the only evolution-required statistic that is not directly communicated to you in some way or form.

Every time one of the following things occurs, that counts as a Care Mistake, causing the counter to increment by 1.

-Not feeding your Digimon when hungry (Takes about 3 hours after the bubble appears).
-Pooping on the ground
-Making your Digimon so tired a sweat bubble icon appears
-Not letting your Digimon sleep when sleepy (Takes about 3 hours after the bubble appears).
-Making your Digimon sick
-Losing battles

Your Care Mistakes have to be either above or below a certain threshold to meet this requirement. Seems simple, right?

Lastly, each evolution has two bonus conditions that can be met. For each bonus condition met, you can meet one less standard condition and still evolve. This means if you meet both bonus conditions, you can try to focus on one primary condition. Typically, bonus conditions fall into one of four types: Happiness/Discipline, Battles fought, Techniques learned, or evolving from a certain Digimon.

Let's take Gabumon's evolutions, for instance. Here are all of them:

Centarumon: 100 Brains. 3 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 60 or more Discipline, 28 or more Techniques.

Monochromon: 1000 HP, 100 Def, 100 Brains. 3 or less Care Mistakes. 35-45 Weight. Bonuses: 5 or less Battles, 35 or more Techniques.

Drimogemon: 100 Off. 3 or more Care Mistakes. 35-45 Weight. Bonuses: 50 or more Happiness. 28 or more Techniques.

Tyrannomon: 1000 HP, 100 Def. 5 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 5 or less Battles, 28 or more Techniques.

Ogremon: 1000 HP, 100 Off. 5 or more Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 15 or more Battles, 35 or more Techniques.

Garurumon: 1000 MP, 100 Spd. 1 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 90 or more Discipline, 28 or more Techniques.

In the event that you meet the requirements for multiple Digimon, the stats you raise will decide which Digimon takes priority when evolving. In this case, I met the conditions for Tyrannomon, Garurumon and Centarumon (even hitting Bonus Conditions for Garurumon and Centarumon), and what decided the evolution into Garurumon were my stats. It calculates the averages of the stats listed for the evolution, and the highest of those decides the evolution. If there's still a tie, it just goes for the first one on the list.

To further illustrate my example, let's assume we have an Agumon who has 30 weight, 1000 HP/MP, and 100 in all other stats, no care mistakes and full Discipline and Happiness, and no battles. Let's take a look at his evolutions, shall we?

Greymon: 100 Off, 100 Def, 100 Spd, 100 Brains. 1 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 weight. Bonuses: 90 or more Discipline, 35 or more Techniques.

Meramon: 100 Off. 5 or more Care Mistakes. 15-25 weight. Bonuses: 10 or more battles, 28 or more techniques.

Birdramon: 100 Spd. 3 or more Care Mistakes. 15-25 Weight. Bonuses: Evolve from Biyomon, 35 or more Techniques.

Centarumon: 100 Brains. 3 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 60 or more Discipline, 28 or more Techniques.

Monochromon: 1000 HP, 100 Def, 100 Brains. 3 or less Care Mistakes. 35-45 Weight. Bonuses: 5 or less Battles, 35 or more Techniques.

Tyrannomon: 1000 HP, 100 Def. 5 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 5 or less Battles, 28 or more Techniques.

In this case, Agumon would meet the requirements for all of its evolved forms except Meramon and Birdramon, owing to being too heavy and not having enough care mistakes, such that it would require meeting both of Meramon's bonus conditions for it to be a viable option, and that's not even possible for Birdramon since one of its bonus conditions requires evolving from a different rookie. Despite not having enough weight for Monochromon, it still meets the requirements because it has 5 or less battles, meeting that bonus condition and allowing it to ignore the weight requirement.

In the instance described above, all the stats required for the successful evolutions are tied, so it would just default to the first evolution on the list, that being Greymon.

Altering Agumon's stats can change this, though! While raising Offense doesn't change anything (The only evolution whose requirements include offense that it can meet with its weight and care mistake total is Greymon) nor does speed for the same reason or MP (because none of Agumon's evolutions require MP to be raised), but raising any of Agumon's other three stats will change what it evolves into. If Agumon's brains is raised, the Average of Centarumon's required stats will be higher than Greymon's, causing it to take priority. Centarumon is above Monochromon in the list, if HP, Defense and Brains are equal, Centarumon will take priority.

If HP or Defense is raised, Agumon will evolve into Tyrannomon. HP and Def are shared requirements for both evolutions. However, because Monochromon requires Brains as well, its average of required stats will always be lower since we can't raise Brains because as we just established, that would result in Centarumon no matter what, meaning that despite meeting the requirements, the natural evolution route will never result in Monochromon under these circumstances.

Perfects/Ultimates are quite a bit tougher to get. Here are the requirements for Garurumon's two Perfect/Ultimate paths.

SkullGreymon: 4000 HP, 6000 MP, 400 Off, 400 Def, 200 Spd, 500 Brains. 10 or more Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: 40 or more Battles, 45 or more Techniques.

MegaSeadramon: 4000 MP, 500 Off, 400 Def, 400 Brains. 5 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight. Bonuses: No Battles, 40 or more Techniques.

As you can see these are uh... very tall orders that this particular Garurumon is very unlikely to reach. MegaSeadramon might have been possible had I not fought Palmon and Kunemon (and thus locked myself out of that bonus condition, which would let me ignore the stat requirements), but SkullGreymon? Not happening in this lifetime.

And it once again bears mentioning... none of this is communicated to you. None at all. It's a very complex evolution tree with each having specific, complex requirements, and you aren't told anything about what those requirements are.

And that's just the natural evolutions, not getting into various special evolutions that can occur.

I find the fact that a plantlike Digimon upgrades the meat farm kinda weird not gonna lie
It's basically tradition at this point that, in Digimon World, the one responsible for running a Meat Farm, if there is one, is a plant Digimon- it's the same case in Re:Digitize and Next Order, too.

And spoiler alert: Palmon is not the only upgrade to the Meat Farm. There is another, though you can only recruit it on day 15th at the earliest.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Alright, let's get this show on the road.

Last time, I started playing the game for real, recruiting Agumon, Palmon and Kunemon, and evolved Gabumon into Garurumon. He's good and all, but Winter Blast costs way too much MP. I need a less costly technique. First, though, there are three more essential recruits that come in one of the two next areas.

Recruiting Kunemon proves helpful here, as he opens the eastern exit of File City, which is a shortcut to two notable sub-areas of Native Forest: Kunemon's Bed and more importantly, Coela Point.

Show of hands here: who's surprised, given the name? Coelamon greets us and asked us if we came to see him. Obviously I say yes- Coelamon is only here during the evenings and he's one of the three essential recruits I'm looking for, for two reasons.

This is the first: He gives us access to Tropical Jungle, which otherwise wouldn't work due to the Digimon Bridge being broken. This doesn't actually recruit him, though!

Music: Tropical Jungle (Day)
After reaching Tropical Jungle, I notice that Garurumon's happiness icon is blinking blue. This is a bad thing- it means that he can't handle this environment well, and thus runs the risk of getting sick if he stays here too long. I continue heading westwards, and now the Bridge to Tropical Jungle is fixed. Thus, my next goal is to return to Coela Point.

Meeting Coelamon again, he decides to go to the city! Prosperity: 5/100! This is important, because Coelamon runs one of the most important facilities in the entire city (at least at first, anyway):

He runs the Item Shop! For now, he only sells Recovery Floppies (both the HP and MP variety) and Meat. I blow all of my money on Meat. Having the item shop means that I'll be set for food for a long while. After that, I head back towards Tropical Jungle, but have Garurumon sleep (as he needed it) right outside of the area, as sleeping inside with a Digimon who can't handle that environment is just asking for trouble. While running through Tropical Jungle, I note a peculiar figure.

I know this Digimon, and yes, Piximon is a potential recruit- they have a chance to spawn every time this particular screen is visited (The chance in vanilla is like 2-3%, but the randomizer I'm using raises it to something more manageable), and a really good recruit at that as they sell Training Manuals which increase the gains from training simply by being held.

The catch, though? You have to beat him first and IN NO UNIVERSE is Garurumon ready for that yet. I would lose nigh-instantly, as this thing is a Perfect/Ultimate. So I just ignore it and move further east towards the actual recruits I'm looking for. First, I head east, then north, to reach the Mangrove Region.

Betamon here is essential recruit #2. Like Coelamon, he mans the Item Shop, and getting both increases the stock! Just talking to him gets him to join, no fight needed. Prosperity: 6/100.

After that, I to the further east area, whose northern exit leads to Amida Forest. Amida Forest's gimmick is similar to Amidakuji or the ghost-leg lottery. You can't just run in a straight line, or you'll get shot at, causing your partner to lose half their HP and you'll get knocked back. It can take a few tries, but once you head down the right path, leading to a door with a red O on it...

The guy shooting at us shows himself. Meet Centarumon, essential recruit #3. He was testing us, and we passed, so he comes to the city and opens a clinic! Prosperity: 8/100. We then get moved into the next area, Ancient Dino Region, automatically, but Garurumon is not ready for that, so I use an Auto Pilot I picked up in Amida Forest to return to File City. With that done, it's time to try to learn some techniques!

Before I forget, here's what's available in the Item Shop when both Coelamon and Betamon are recruited, and I also make sure to grab my daily Giant Meat from Palmon, before heading south through Native Forest to the next area...

Drill Tunnel. Here's where I'm going to be trying to learn some new techniques! Drill Tunnel, like Tropical Forest, isn't a very good environment for Garurumon to be in, so I'll mostly be sticking to the entrance.

This Goburimon, right here is going to be our punching bag. It has Sonic Jab, and the two techniques we actually want, Spit Fire and Magma Bomb.

Unfortunately, it doesn't turn out well, and Garurumon has to return to the city. So I decide to train brains a bit to see if I can get Garurumon some new command or something, partway through, however...

Ice Needle was mastered!

Digimon can learn new techniques at every x50 interval (What I mean by that is that it can come at 150, 250, 350, etc.) of brains, and it happened here! It's not a screen-wide attack unlike Winter Blast, but it comes out much faster and more importantly, costs less than half the amount of MP Winter Blast does! Screen-wide attacks aren't hugely useful right now either, so I immediately slap Ice Needle on over Winter Blast. I then head to the latest facility in File City, that being Centar Clinic.

Speaking to Centarumon here is actually a flag needed in order to trigger a later recruitment. Anyway, Centarumon's Clinic lets you rest like in Punimon's chair (Though it seems to be more effective than the chair), but it also allows you to get your Digimon's illnesses cured for cheap. After resting, training and a bit more sleeping, I return to Drill Tunnel to fight that Goburimon again. This time proves a lot more fruitful: While I still can't pull it off consistently without rest (Magma Bomb hits like a truck at this point in the game, the benefits of having 270 power [for reference, that's over twice the amount of power that Ice Needle and Winter Blast have]), just once was enough for what I wanted:

Garurumon learned Spit Fire! Spit Fire is, functionally speaking, a weaker Ice Needle, with a little less than half the power, but a little less than half the cost, though it can't paralyze like Ice Needle can, and the projectile is much slower. It's one of the most MP-efficient techniques in the game, and comes free with most Fire Digimon, including being what our starter would know if it were Agumon. Why Garurumon got Winter Blast over this, I'll never know. Armed with Ice Needle, I train Garurumon to 2000 HP and MP, and then head further into Drill Tunnel.

First, I head to the Residential District, where a Drimogemon is suffering from the heat, and promptly attacks us. If I only had Winter Blast, this might have been trouble. Ice Needle proves to be more than adequate at taking it down efficiently. Drimogemon only has two techniques: Sonic Jab and Megaton Punch. Megaton Punch stings, but it's melee and slower than Sonic Jab, so it's easy to interrupt, especially with fast techniques like Ice Needle and Spit Fire. Garurumon even gets to fire off its finisher, Howling Blaster!

After being defeated, Drimogemon calms down a bit, and tells us that there may be some kind of fire nearby, though he doesn't join. I can't really do the rest of this recruitment process with a Digimon who can't handle Drill Tunnel, so I fight Goburimon on my way out.

Now we're cooking with gas! Magma Bomb is far and away the most powerful technique most players will have access to this early in the game. at a whopping 279 power, it's over twice as strong as any of Garurumon's other techniques, except the Finisher. Even then, if L1 and R1 aren't mashed, Magma Bomb will still outdamage Howling Blaster, whose base power is around 180! And if all of that wasn't enough, it has a chance to confuse on top of that, AND the projectile homes in meaning that its only weakness is that the technique is kinda slow!

Look at this! Look at it! Garurumon literally ONE-SHOT the ModokiBetamon here with Magma Bomb! After ending the day, I start the next day with some brain training and once Garurumon hits 250 Brains...

Aqua Magic was mastered!

Garurumon learns yet another technique. Aqua Magic is unlike the other techniques he's learned so far in that it's a stat buffing technique, NOT an attack. It's the weakest buff out there, but it's also the last expensive.

After that, I speak to Yuramon, who tells me about an Invisible Bridge at the Great Canyon, north of Tropical Jungle, so I go to check it out.

Yuramon's information was accurate. I head into the Great Canyon Top Area, and then head into a nearby building, which is arguably one of the most frustrating parts of the game. Normally, I forbid myself from using Savestates. But for this place and this place alone, I am forgoing that rule because I am NOT doing this Minigame more than once. Here... is the Monochrome Shop.

Ugh. This Minigame really intrudes on your exploration time. You have to work for eight hours selling items to customers. You'll get some bits as a reward, but if you make around 3200 bits worth of profit, at which point you'll also get something much better. You have to haggle with customers to get higher prices. If you test their patience too much, though, they'll walk out, which you absolutely do not want! You'll sell one of three items to one of four customers: Item types are Meat for low profit, Porta Potties for medium profit, and Medicine for great profit. The four customer types are Goburimon (Average), Gotsumon (Patient, usually), Muchomon (Kinda mercurial) and Weedmon (who are jerks).

After many, many save states...

Monochromon reveals he was just testing us, and as since we passed, Monochromon joins the city! Prosperity: 10/100! Monochromon is yet another upgrade to the Item Shop. He also gives us 2000 Bits for our work. Before leaving, I fight a Gotsumon outside the former Monochrome Shop, and, as a result...

Magma Bomb is dethroned as the strongest technique Garurumon knows. Megaton Punch has an absolutely brutal 320 power, 41 more than Magma Bomb, and it has a chance to paralyze the target. The main issue is it's a slow melee attack, but if it lands, hoo boy does it hurt! After that's all done, I auto pilot back to File City, and my first order of business is to check the Item Shop, which is now its own building.

Monochromon coming here has added yet more stuff to the inventory of the Item Shop. Most notably, Stat-boosting Disks and Porta Potties. I then head down to Drill Tunnel, for the purposes of starting on the next recruitment batch and opening up yet more new areas. To do that, I head into Drill Tunnel.

Here's a Drimogemon digging a tunnel, and what we have to do is take out the dirt he dug up! It's not for free, either- for every round trip we make, we also gain 50 HP, 5 offense, 5 defense and 500 bits.

Eventually, all of the dirt is cleared out, so now we have to wait for a few hours to get to the next area. With that in mind, I resume training brains in pursuit of more techniques. At the very end of the day...

Giga Freeze was mastered!

Another Technique is learned! This time, it's Giga Freeze. It's a short-ranged blast of cold that's about as strong as Magma Bomb is, it costs less, but is slower and more importantly, can actually miss. It, however, can also paralyze unfortunate victims. Once the new day starts, I return to Drill Tunnel. The Drimogemon I helped out ran into a big rock they can't drill through...

The key to this event is simple: Any Champion can move it (including the Filth-types and a Drimogemon of your own if you have one).

Like so! At the bottom is a river of lava and we can't go down, so we head northwards. At the northernmost part of the Lava cave...

You should recognize this Digimon as one of the two I used to demonstrate the battle system in part 1. He tries to make the Volcano in Drill Tunnel erupt to let the Digimon of the island realize how dire the situation is. Cue a battle as we try to stop him.

Meramon is a cut above anything else we've seen so far, having 2500 HP and the techniques Dynamite Kick, Magma Bomb and Heat Laser.

Heat Laser is a full-screen attack has a chance to inflict the Flat status effect, which turns your Digimon into this little pixel art version of itself. It can only use a weak attack that costs 0 mp, and cannot block attacks in this state. It's not very strong, but it's quite low-cost as far as wide area attacks go.

It was close owing to Magma Bomb hitting like a truck, but a Howling Blaster finishes the job. Afterwards, we convince Meramon to join the city! Prosperity: 12/100! We also get an Offense Chip from Meramon, and another from a chest in the same area. Chips are consumable items that raise a particular stat by 50. We'll be saving them for later. For now, though, we return to Native Forest!

Meramon's attempted eruption DID do something, though: it caused a landslide, causing the rocks that were blocking the way in Native Forest's second area to disappear! This opens up a new area: Mt. Panorama! The wild Digimon here aren't really new, but what is new is this:

This Digimon has hurt its wing! Remember how I mentioned that speaking to Centarumon in his clinic triggered a recruitment? I was talking about this one. You need to give him at least a Medium Recovery Floppy. I got one from a chest a while back and saved it for this moment.

Prosperity: 14/100! Unimon is yet another Item Shop upgrade. Though unlike before, where Monochromon replaced Coelamon and Betamon, Unimon and Monochromon alternate running the shop, with each focusing on different wares. And spoiler alert, neither of them are the last item shop recruits we'll get.

Heading further north, we reach the Mt. Panorama plains.

Remember what I said about Piximon? That mostly applies to Mamemon too (with the sole exception of the fact that Mamemon DOESN'T sell an amazing item).

Music: Gear Savanna (Day)
Heading further west brings us a new area: Gear Savanna! You can find a bunch of things here, but there's one primarily that's important to me.

This isn't it, but if you talk to him three times (and get zapped each time) you recruit him. He just puts lights in the city, but hey, every prosperity point counts! Prosperity: 15/100. I promptly Auto-Pilot out. After spending the rest of the day training, Garurumon sleeps. I head to Palmon and get five pieces of Giant Meat due to an extra large harvest today. I then return to Gear Savanna.

There, a Patamon is being menaced by a Goburimon. As we move to intercept, though...

A digimon who is famous for dying constantly in the anime appears before us. Leomon makes sure Patamon is okay and wanders off westwards, with Patamon following him. I don't follow him, instead going north into Trash Mountain.

This is what I wanted the most, as it opens the way for several new recruits, including two who upgrade Green Gym!

Trash Mountain is also home to these sentient piles of poop and this one in particular will visit the city on occasion, which counts as a recruit in this case. Prosperity: 16/100. As an aside, remember how I said bad things happen if your virus gauge fills up? Sukamon is what I meant: your Digimon will be turned into Sukamon. This is a bad thing because when a Digimon evolves into Sukamon, their stats get slashed in half. Even Numemon, the other 'punishment' evolution, only slashes your stats by 20%. And UNLIKE Numemon, Sukamon can come from ANY Digimon, including other Adult/Champions and even Perfect/Ultimates.

That's where this guy comes in. If you speak to him after your partner becomes a Sukamon, he will revert your partner to what it was before. It's handy, but the only trouble is actually reaching him without getting your Sukamon's head bashed in because filth-type Digimon are weaklings. I actually end up having to flee from a battle afterwards. Fleeing from battle isn't a care mistake, but it does carry a penalty to happiness and discipline.

Back in File City, on the 15th day...

This is a special plant that blooms on the 15th day of every year. This is very important for one simple reason. That reason is in Tropical Jungle.

This plant here is special. If you use the Rain Fruit on it...

It reveals itself to not be some ordinary plant, but Vegiemon! He asks us if we like Veggies, and we answer yes. He says anybody who likes Veggies must be a nice guy, and heads off to the city.

Prosperity: 18/100! Vegiemon, like Palmon before, is an amazing, 'DO THIS ASAP' recruit for the exact same reason: he upgrades your Meat Farm again, instead giving you Sirloin, which not only fills your Digimon more than Giant Meat, but also takes away some tiredness. He also sells Super Carrots and Hawk Radishes, which increase training yields. Certainly a cause for celebration in my book!

Unfortunately, all of these good things are dampened by what happens next. While walking through File City, the game hangs on a frame. Then...

Let's just say there is a very good reason this update's title is 'Memento Mori'.

The screen is engulfed in black around our buddy.

His textures crumble away.

A light from above floats down into the remains.

…Yep. It's time we talk about one of the main reasons this game is difficult. Your Digimon has a finite lifespan, and Garurumon's just ran out. As a result, it died. So, seems like a 'Game Over' situation, right?

In short, no.

As Jijimon states here, death is not the end. My partner will be reborn into a new Digimon, passing on a percentage of its stats, and keeping all of its techniques memorized for the next life. Seeing this happen is completely inevitable (unless you cheat)- your Digimon has a finite lifespan and the items that can extend it are rare (and one of them can undo that progress by making your 'mon sick). What you saw with my starting Digimon is the life cycle your Digimon will always go through, though missing the first two steps and the optional, final step. The only real question to ask now is...

…which egg do I want my partner to be reborn into?

I'll call this update here. I'll make my decision on which Egg to take in the next update!

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I know you said earlier that your Digimon has a set lifespan but I didn't expect it to be that short. Do different Digimon have different lifespans?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I know you said earlier that your Digimon has a set lifespan but I didn't expect it to be that short. Do different Digimon have different lifespans?
Your Digimon starts with a lifespan of around 15 days, but this gets extended by around 4 days when evolving to Perfect/Ultimate.

Also of note, I should probably talk about the four eggs now!

Babies play a little differently than other Digimon (And DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BRING THEM INTO BATTLE- THEY CAN'T DO DAMAGE EVEN WITH MAXED STATS).

First off, the Green Egg. It hatches into Botamon, which evolves into Koromon. Koromon itself can then evolve into one of two Child/Rookie forms naturally, whose names should be familiar to you: Agumon and Gabumon. The evolutions from In-Training to Rookie are notable in that they're almost guaranteed to happen (only ONE In-Training can avoid evolving into Rookie). The natural Rookie evolutions only have one bonus condition: come from the In-training Digimon- this is to (basically) guarantee the evolution happens regardless of weight, as the evolutions to rookie are completely unaffected by care mistakes. What changes it all are the stats- each Rookie comes from having one of three stats as your In-training's highest will only count THAT In-training's requirements as being fulfilled, with a priority score equal to said highest stat. In Koromon's case, Agumon comes from having HP, MP or Offense as the highest stat, while Gabumon comes from having Defense, Speed or Brains as the highest stat.

The Blue Egg hatches into Punimon, which becomes Tsunomon, who can then become either Elecmon or Penguinmon. Elecmon comes from HP, Offense and Speed, Penguinmon comes from Defense, MP and Brains.

The Yellow Egg hatches into Poyomon, which evolves into Tokomon, who can then become either Patamon or Biyomon. Patamon comes from HP, Offense and Brains, Biyomon comes from MP, Defense and Speed.

Lastly, the Pink Egg hatches into Yuramon, which evolves into Tanemon, who can then become either Palmon or Betamon. Palmon comes from MP, Speed and Brains, Betamon comes from HP, MP and Defense. I'm sure you've noticed something strange about this one. Curiously, probably due to an oversight, neither of Tanemon's natural evolutions have Offense as a prioritized stat. This means that if Tanemon's weight is above 15 or below 10 and Offense is its highest stat, Tanemon cannot evolve naturally It's the only In-Training that can cause this, and as a result, it's the only In-Training who can actually fade away (A Digimon's lifespan is not tied to its evolutionary level, save for getting extra Lifespan when evolving to Perfect/Ultimate), and likewise, Betamon and Palmon are the only rookies who can fade away (The rest will all evolve into Numemon LONG before that would happen). In the event that MP is considered the highest stat, Tanemon will always evolve into Palmon.

On top of these natural evolutions, if an In-Training goes to sleep in Kunemon's bed, there is a 50% chance that it will evolve into Kunemon upon waking up.

There's a tough decision to make here. I'm confident I can get a Perfect/Ultimate on this life, but two of the three options I'm considering going for involve me doing a fat load of nothing for a while so as to avoid any battles, which is kind of boring. The third option doesn't require this, but will have absolutely nothing as far as techniques go for quite a while, meaning it's definitely going to be weaker a lot weaker than the other two, especially considering its starting technique.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Part 1

Lastly, he'll ask you your Digimon's name. I use the usual name I give for the single Digimon Partner you get, which is named after my favourite video game character (That is to say, I called him Sonic).
Honestly I think the only time I've seen actually good individual names for Digimon was the V-Tamer manga
Part 2

ModokiBetamon here is a step down from Agumon if you believe it. It only has 300 HP, and its attacks, Static Elect, Electric Cloud and Water Blit are worse than Sonic Jab and Spit Fire by virtue of being slower. Water Blit STINGS if it hits, though!
Aw yes, Digimon World is the origin of a loud of the recolored variant Digimon. Though ModokiBetamon hardly looks any different from Betamon here, some artwork does make it yellow. Personally, even though they've never been officially connected, I like to think that it Digivolves into Airdramon.
Garurumon has always been one of my favorites among the Adventure Champions, behind only Greymon and Angemon and tied with Kabuterimon.
Part 3

Music: Tropical Jungle (Day)
After reaching Tropical Jungle, I notice that Garurumon's happiness icon is blinking blue. This is a bad thing- it means that he can't handle this environment well, and thus runs the risk of getting sick if he stays here too long. I continue heading westwards, and now the Bridge to Tropical Jungle is fixed. Thus, my next goal is to return to Coela Point.
Hm, that's actually a really cool mechanic. It gives more meaning to what path your partner takes outside of just stats.

Also go for Poyomon

Last edited:

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I've done some deliberating, and decided on which Digimon line I want to go for, starting with the egg.

Last time on Digimon World, we got a bunch of recruits and a few new items, but Garurumon died. However, in Digimon World, death is merely a new beginning! First off, the egg choice. Garurumon's remains swirl up and eventually...

...form a new, orange-striped egg! The world takes on colour again, and immediately afterwards...

A lil' babby ghost emerges! This Poyomon is going to grow up to accomplish great things, though it's going to take a lot of doing nothing but training for a while.

Whenever your Digimon is reborn, you also get the opportunity to change its name. I'll just stick with Sonic, though. And with that, we're given control once again. No matter where you are when your Digimon fades away, you will always be teleported into Jijimon's House.

As a baby who was reborn from a relatively weak champion, combined with the fact that I'm Tamer Level 0, Poyomon's stats are uh... they're horrible to put it bluntly. Tamer Level can rarely be raised through evolution (more likely if you evolve to Perfect/Ultimate). Tamer level's primary impact is stat inheritance: Your Digimon, when reborn, will retain a percentage of its stats equal to your tamer level. The max Tamer Level is 10, meaning that at maximum a new baby can inherit 10% of its past life's stats.

Just in case starting from stats that may as well be 0 didn't tip you off to the fact that you're not supposed to bring babies into battle, this should definitely tip you off. The next weakest attack in the game, Sonic Jab, has ten times the power of Bubble. Even with 999 offense, a Baby Digimon can't even scratch the enemies in Native Forest's first screen.

Anyways, after the new life starts, I immediately head to Green Gym. I have a very specific evolutionary line I have in mind for this babby, and I need to get a headstart on it right away! In this Digimon's life, I'll be restricting myself to only using Bonus Try during the Baby stages. Speaking of Bonus Try...

Here's how it works: It's essentially a timing-based slot machine. In vanilla, this is rigged against you, but the patch I'm using changes this. There's a very good reason for it.

I've already explained in Part 2 what happens when you match the other symbols in Bonus Try (a 2x multiplier if they don't match the activity, or a 4x if they do), but what about these golden poop icons? That's simple:

Oh, nothing much, just a TEN TIMES MULTIPLIER TO THE GAINS! This is exactly as busted as it sounds, and is very likely the reason why Bonus Try is rigged against you in vanilla- if you're good at timing, or using save states, you basically get ten hours of training for the price of one. Already, Poyomon's MP stat is something resembling what Gabumon had at the start of the game.

Here are Poyomon's stats after training MP, Speed and Defense only once with Golden Poop Bonus Tries.

Four hours of training later...

Babies really don't take very long to evolve.

Tokomon is the second part of the Poyomon line.

Stats don't raise much, though. (I got hearts instead of golden poop when training HP).

Bubble has doubled in power, but it's still five times weaker than Sonic Jab. Seriously, DO NOT bring babies into battle! I also try to avoid raising Brains too much prior to evolving into a Child/Rookie, because then they can't benefit from the free technique chance at every 'x50' milestone.

To give you an idea of how much unrigged bonus try breaks this game, look at Tokomon's stats as they are after a few more hours of training. They are higher than Garurumon's were fresh out of evolution. While Garurumon's stats WERE higher by the end of its life, Tokomon is DEFINITELY going to surpass the Digimon that came before. Bonus Try was rigged against the players in vanilla for a very good reason.

After about a day's worth of training, my grossly overstatted Tokomon begins evolving. How grossly overstatted is it, you may ask? I'll show you once I show you the result of the evolution. Speed was my highest stat, though, so if you read my previous post, this next bit will come as no surprise:

Birb. That is all.

Our newly-evolved Biyomon, through the power of abusing unrigged Bonus Try, outstats my former Garurumon everywhere except Brains, and THAT was only because I deliberately avoided raising it! If I had abused Bonus Try with Garurumon, I have no doubt I could have easily met the conditions for MegaSeadramon, but abusing it on my first life to blow through most of the game before my first Digimon's lifespan runs out would be boring.

This here is an image showing what happens when you screw up and fail to match any image on bonus try: absolutely pathetic gains.

Biyomon comes free with Electric Cloud, which I've already mentioned as far as ModokiBetamon goes. However, it can also learn some other Air and Fire Techniques. Most notably, it can learn Spit Fire, which immediately makes Electric Cloud redundant, as this Biyomon already knows Spit Fire from having learned it as Garurumon.

I then move to work on training Biyomon in its one deficient stat: Brains. My strategy of holding back on Brains immediately pays off:

Wind Cutter was mastered!

Wind Cutter is a mite slower than Spit Fire, but it's stronger and covers a much wider area. As it shoots three projectiles, it can actually hit multiple targets if needs be, too!

Later on, at the 250 mark:

Spinning Shot was mastered!

Spinning Shot fires a strong homing projectile at the target. It's Air's answer to Magma Bomb, and while it doesn't inflict a status like Magma Bomb does, it makes up for it by hitting like a truck, dethroning Megaton Punch as the strongest technique this Digimon knows.

Then, when Biyomon hit the 350 mark, truly surpassing Garurumon for real:

Confused Storm was mastered!

I'm honestly surprised Biyomon learns this one, actually. It's a screen-wide attack like Winter Blast. It's stronger but slower, but notably it has a chance to confuse any enemies hit, making them run around randomly.

At five days of age:

Biyomon's evolving! I hope I didn't get the wrong evolution...

That is one red hot birb, alright!

Birdramon is the evolution I wanted, so that's a success on my half!

Birdramon's stats haven't changed much from Biyomon's because they're WELL above the evolution requirements, so let's look at the technique list.

Birdramon plays into fire WAY more than Biyomon does, losing access to most of its Air techs, but gaining access to all but one of the Fire techs, which includes being able to use Magma Bomb.

Birdramon didn't gain any techniques at the 450 mark, but at the 550 mark...

Heat Laser was mastered!

I already mentioned this when fighting Meramon, but Heat Laser is a wide-area Fire technique that's pretty weak all things considered, but pretty economical as far as wide-range techniques go, and it has a chance to inflict the devastating flat condition upon any targets hit.

From then, I continue training until the 11th day, when something extraordinary happens.

You are not seeing that wrong: Birdramon is evolving!!!

4000 HP. 4000 MP. 400 Speed. 600 Brains. 3 or less Care Mistakes. 25-35 Weight and two out of three bonus conditions (Specifically, 0 battles and 100% Discipline). I made sure specifically to meet these conditions as I trained it from a lil' babby ghost. And now?

Now it's an awesome, four-winged phoenix!

Here's a little fun fact for you: Phoenixmon, or Hououmon as it's known in Japanese, isn't actually a Perfect/Ultimate Digimon in canon. It's actually the level beyond that, which is called Ultimate/Mega (Mega being the localized term, Ultimate being the original japanese term). It's one of three Digimon in the game that have this distinction, though they will not be named due to spoilers. It's also one of the three 'Secret Ultimates', the three playable Digimon in this game who are never fought or recruited to the city.

Successfully raising a Perfect/Ultimate has increased my Tamer level by 1! This will increase stat inheritance in the future, when Phoenixmon inevitably bites the dust. But that's not going to happen for a while yet.

Contrasting Birdramon, Phoenixmon flips between Air and Fire AGAIN, sacrificing most of its Fire Techniques to be capable of learning every single Air technique. Its stats are also quite a bit up from Birdramon, and it comes with Static Elect for free. Static Elect is slower than Sonic Jab, but slightly stronger and it has a chance to paralyze. I put it on alongside Confused Storm and Magma Bomb (one of the few fire techniques Phoenixmon did keep) since Phoenixmon can choose its techniques due to having enough brains.

As an aside, it turns out I was wrong about Brains not offering any direct combat benefits to your Digimon, though it takes LOTS of training to reach them. More specifically, at the thresholds of 700, 800, 900 and 999 Brains, each marker gives your Digimon a reduction to its MP Costs, with the value increasing by 5% each time, for a total of 20% lower MP costs at 999 Brains. Seeing as it's close enough, I train Phoenixmon to 750 brains.

Megalo Spark was mastered!

The game may as well go crying home to mama now because Megalo Spark is a winner's technique, and some argue for it being a contender for the best technique in the game. It does literally everything well: It's fast, it's powerful (There's only one Air technique that's stronger than it), it inflicts a nasty status at a high rate AND to top it all off it's cost-effective! What can I say? It's a great technique, always worth using for your single target nuke if you have one.

The best part is, learning Megalo Spark makes this next bit so much easier! My next order of business is to talk to Jijimon, and check my prosperity. I could've technically attempted this with Garurumon, but that would be suicide. This'll be important. I then leave Jijimon's house, but as I move to head out...

Uh oh! This guy right here is Greymon, and he's here to wreck your sh**! Greymon here is responsible for the single easiest trap to fall into and hardest to get out of. It's fully well possible to accidentally softlock yourself if you haven't gotten a good Digimon prepared to fight him, since he appears if you talk to Jijimon once your prosperity is 15 or higher.

Having an Ultimate with high stats and a technique that some consider to be the best in the game is markedly not unprepared.

My Phoenixmon promptly instructs him on how great a technique Megalo Spark is.

Megalo Spark is so great, in fact, that Greymon, one of the most commonly cited unfair roadblocks in the game, fails to score so much as a single hit.

He opens an Arena. You can fight in it to try to acquire Bits or rare items. Prosperity: 20/100!

My next order of business is to head to the Great Canyon. There's one recruit in particular I want to get from there. But first...

I think it's high time I go beat up Piximon, don't you think?

It gets down to the wire, but with one last Crimson Flame...

Piximon drops, and I score the win.

Piximon occasionally appears in the Item Shop and sells Training Manuals for 50,000 bits. Training Manuals passively increase training yields when held, so they're well worth the cost. Prosperity: 23/100! I then proceed to Great Canyon after healing up. The music is notably different, though!
Music: Ogremon's Theme

As I move to head northwards, I get ambushed by a buncha crooks.

Does Ogremon not realize that he's staring down a 'mon that's a whole level higher than him? It's a three-on-one, with Ogremon joined by his two Agumon cronies.

As this shot of Confused Storm shows, Ogremon is the only real threat.

He promptly gets flambéed by Crimson Flame.

Ogremon and his cronies then run off. I head over to the west side, and end up falling after walking on some unstable ground. This takes me to the bottom area of Great Canyon, and I head southwards past an elevator to Ogre Fortress. After fighting my way through hordes of Agumon and Gabumon, I make my way to the back of the area and fight Ogremon and his cronies again.

They don't really fare any better than the first time. Ogremon throws a smoke bomb and escapes afterwards, though. We follow him through the elevator anyway though, because...

It triggers this cutscene here! From there, what I have to do is go back to the elevator and return to Ogremon's hideout, then go back the long way around. First, I head up to the Great Canyon's rooftop, though, and enter a peculiar nest, where an enemy attacks me.

An enemy Birdramon? Eh. Phoenixmon is better.

Birdramon never got to fire off an attack, and to add insult to injury...

Phoenixmon learned Prominence Beam from that! Prominence Beam is a very strong technique- stronger than Megalo Spark, even- but it's also a bit on the slow side, so in spite of its low MP cost compared to its extreme power, it's generally considered worse than Megalo Spark. Still one of the better Fire Skills though, and better than Magma Bomb. After their defeat, Birdramon carries me back to File City. I do some stocking up on items, and then head into the new building in the northern area of File City, Birdra Transport. Prosperity: 25/100!

Birdra Transport is a one-way fast travel service. Right now, the only area available is Great Canyon, but this will open up as I explore new areas. I select Great Canyon anyway, and it takes me to the Elevator that lead to Birdramon to begin with. Heading north-west brings me to another new area: Freezeland! Unfortunately, Freezeland is a bad environment for Phoenixmon, so I don't intend to go there yet. What I intend to do instead is head southwest from Freezeland to return to Great Canyon. At that entrance, a new face is awaiting me.

Shellmon here was the mysterious voice who needed help. They set up a bulletin board that gives hints to future recruitments, as well as opening a few key ones that were unavailable before. Prosperity: 27/100!

I then return to Freezeland and head to a set of ice floes. The southwestern most parts of which have an igloo on top containing a figure.

This Mojyamon here is the source of an exploit in the game, notably through the Medium Recovery for S. Def Disk trade. Medium recoveries are bought for 500 bits. S. Def Disks sell for 2000. That's a profit of 1500 per disk. In essence, once you reach Freezeland you can get infinite BITs assuming you have the patience for it.

Like so! My next order of business is to keep going in and out of the item shop until a certain somebody spawns.

Piximon, as I already said, sells the Training Manual which makes training better. My next stop is Dragon Eye Lake, during the evening.

See that big, strange looking shadow that went past my bobber? That's what I'm trying to fish up! Eventually, I hook it and reel it in, and...

It's quite fitting for this Digimon to be the guardian of a place called Dragon Eye Lake. This is Seadramon. He asks me if I want something, and there are three possible answers: You can either ask to be friends, ask to be taught a technique, or ask to be given an item. If you ask for an item, Seadramon will give you a Water Bottle, which is an item that can be used on any Rookie to force them to evolve into Seadramon. If you ask for a technique, Seadramon will teach you any technique the Seadramon species can learn. If you ask to be friends, Seadramon will give you the Blue Flute, which allows you to call him at Dragon Eye Lake and be brought over to the area across, Beetle Land.

So obviously, we go there right now. Two very important recruits are here!
Music: Beetle Land (Day)

Beetle Land is home to many insectoid Digimon, such as Tentomon and Dokunemon. The second area has two houses next to a tournament registration area. The tournament registration area can be used to register for a special Tournament called the Beetle Cup, which is held on the 22nd day of each year. It's a difficult tournament, but the prize for it is a Beetle Pearl, an item that can be used on any Champion to force them to evolve into HerculesKabuterimon, the second of the three 'Secret Ultimates' (and the second of 'mons who are canonically a Mega). But what I'm here for...

Is to speak to this lean mean beetlin' machine. He's tired of training in Beetle Land, and wants to train elsewhere. We mention an arena to him, and he's excited at the prospect, so he joins the city! Prosperity: 29/100! Kabuterimon upgrades the Green Gym, and he's one of two that does it!

I then head into the opposite house.

Perhaps fittingly, the Kabuterimon's eternal rival is there. He wants to know how to beat Kabuterimon. We tell him there's a way, and that way is to come to the city. So he does. Prosperity: 31/100! Like its rival, Kuwagamon upgrades the Green Gym! Combined with a Training Manual, it becomes a lot easier to get Ultimates once you've recruited these two!

I'll leave this update off here.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
It's fun to just watch the mega tear through everything in it's path

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
And now back to your regularly scheduled exploration of File Island, with everybody's favourite murderbirb.

Last time on Digimon World, Garurumon's reincarnation went all the way through the evolution tree. Starting as a lil' babby Poyomon and ending up as the fearsome Phoenixmon! This time, we'll be looking for more recruits with our big murderbirb.

Our first stop is the Mt. Panorama Plains.

Mamemon may not look all that imposing, but do you know who he shares a lot in common with? The answer: Piximon. Mamemon is a Perfect/Ultimate in the same vein as Piximon (right down to his appearance on this screen being determined by random chance).

Strangely, despite being a boss, Mamemon doesn't use the typical boss theme.
Music: Lategame Battle

Mamemon may not seem imposing at first, but Mamemon has a deadly trick that makes him actually a hell of a lot harder than Piximon is. That trick is a little technique called Full Potential, which buffs Mamemon's stats by approximately 30% each time it's used. This can lead to Mameon snowballing hard, especially given how its other two techniques are the devastatingly strong Megaton Punch and Buster Dive.

Have I said that Megalo Spark is ridiculously good yet? I have, haven't I? Well I'll say it again for good measure- Megalo Spark is one of the best techniques in the game, such that it trivialized Mamemon. While Mamemon is USUALLY tougher than Piximon, his skillset does NOT do well against fast, strong ranged techniques like Megalo Spark.

Once he's beaten, Mamemon goes to the city. Once there, he runs a shop in the basement of the regular Item Shop, and he sells Super Disks. Prosperity: 34/100!

Next stop is Gear Savannah.

Leomon tells us that he's looking for something his ancestors left behind, and won't join the city until then.

After that, we head north, then west. There...

Isn't this that Digimon Leomon rescued earlier? Why's it attacking us???

Phoenixmon wipes Patamon out in one hit (It's a Rookie vs a well-trained Ultimate). After that...

Patamon asks for a rematch. We oblige.

It goes no better for Patamon than the first time.

So he asks to fight a third time.

Patamon barely survives a single hit of Megalo Spark this time. He doesn't get lucky against the second, though.

He's just now realizing this? Anyway, after a short chat, Patamon doesn't have much else to do so he goes to the City. Prosperity: 35/100! Patamon is one of the four clerks of the Item Shop.

South of where Patamon is, there's a Biyomon running about who keeps running away from us.

So we send our own birb to deal with it. It takes a few tries, but eventually...

Biyomon is caught, and thought we were trying the kidnap them. We convince them that's not the case, and thus they come to the city! Prosperity: 36/100! Biyomon is the final of the four Item Shop clerks.

My next goal is something unrelated to recruitment. To accomplish this, I first head to the bottom area of the Great Canyon to fight SandYanmamon there. It takes a while, but eventually I get my target. Though I also note that I mistook Wind Cutter for Spinning Shot: Spinning Shot is the one that fires three projectiles, Wind Cutter is the one that fires a homing one. I got the powers right, though. Anyway, where was I?

Oh, right. Hurricane. It's a wide area wind tech whose main weakness is its obscenely long charge time. It's very powerful (nearly as strong as Megalo Spark) and it can confuse targets hit, but its MP cost and long start-up time make it not worth it. The reason I got Hurricane now is so that I have more techniques which will assist in getting later evolutions. And with that in mind, I make my way to the next destination: the place Centarumon was blocking off, the Ancient Dino Region! The Ancient Dino Region is split into two areas-

Suddenly, Tyrannomon. He don't trust us, so he attacks!

He's a bit of a step down from Greymon, but he's no pushover, with War Cry, Tremor, Megaton Punch and Buster Dive as techniques. This is weird, because the fourth slot should be reserved for Blaze Blast, Tyrannomon's Finisher.

After being defeated, Tyrannomon explains the Ancient Dino Region. It's divided into two zones: The Glacial Time Zone, where time goes slower (about half speed if I'm counting correctly) and the Speedy Time Zone, where time goes faster.

I make my way into the Speedy Time Zone next. Time goes twice as fast there. Tyrannomon also mentions something about falling rocks?

This screen here is horrible. You've got to hug the left wall or you'll miss a hidden exit which goes to where the objective is!

After finding the place to go, I find something big and rocky.

Well, it did fall from the sky and it is a big rock. After asking if it knows anything about the danger on the island, Meteormon gets a bit annoyed and attacks us! Its techniques are Megaton Punch, Magma Bomb, Meltdown (A wide-area fire tech with a chance to paralyze) and Tremor. While Phoenixmon can learn Meltdown, I had no luck here.

Meteormon doubles down on knowing nothing about the Island's danger, as it was just born. It then proceeds to roam the island to learn more... and that's the last we see of it.

I then return to the Glacial Time Zone, and there, it turns out Tyrannomon's not alone.

He looks a bit differently from what the species would later come to look like, but here's Tyrannomon's canonical next level, MasterTyrannomon. He tells Tyrannomon to GET TO THE CITY, and Tyrannomon, not wanting to make his master angry, obeys. Prosperity: 38/100! Like Meramon, Tyrannomon works at the restaraunt, where you can pay bits for stat-boosting food.

My next destination is Freezeland, where a Digimon who looks familiar awaits.

Remember when I had one of these? He attacks us! All things considered, his stats are on par with Greymon.

Unlike Greymon, he actually gets a hit in. Just like Greymon however, he stands no chance against Megalo Spark spam. Garurumon's not really happy about his loss, though, and wants to challenge us again, Tomorrow at 4am, and this time I won't be able to use items or give my Digimon commands.

I still pass through and end up at the next area, Misty Trees! While exploring...

Do you see the Digimon in this photo? I run up to him and he attacks, startled! This Digimon is a Rookie, so he just falls to Megalo Spark spam easily.

It turns out the hiding Digimon here is a Gabumon, the same type of Digimon we started with. He dislikes fighting, so he comes to the City. Prosperity: 39/100! From there, I head southwards into Geko Swamp. There, I run into a very rude digimon.

VERY rude indeed. I got two words for you, buddy!

Those two words are 'Megalo Spark'.

After beating up Otamamon, they run away, and we get mobbed by a bunch of Gekomon, who take me to their master.

This big fat musical frog is ShogunGekomon. He completely dismisses us beating up Otamamon as a non-issue, noting that we've been working hard to save File Island, and that he wanted to help us! He tells us to meet a Digimon called Cherrymon in the Misty Trees, and then casts a spell on us to get us through the fog! So we do just that, and eventually, we run into the person we were looking for.

Cherrymon is another Digimon who in this game looks nothing like their modern design. Cherrymon provides exposition on what's been happening. Eighty years prior, File Island's landmass started to change, with the northeastern parts of the island only appearing then. It was at this point that Digimon started leaving File City. After that was done, Digimon started losing their memories too. Even Cherrymon himself cannot remember everything and there was something important he wanted to tell us. He then removes the fog from the Misty Trees and opens the way to Toy Town.

This peculiar costume is the subject of a limited-time event, one that I might not be doing in this playthrough. Basically, if you bring a Numemon here, you can have it get into the costume and it will immediately evolve into Monzaemon. In vanilla, you NEED a Monzaemon to open the events in Toy Town. Still, I won't be doing Toy Town yet. After having Phoenixmon sleep, I return to Misty Trees early in the morning.

A bunch of stone statues near a bird Digimon named after a mythical bird that can petrify things. That's not ominous at all! He attacks us right away!

He gets Megalo Spark'd for his troubles, then joins the city. Prosperity: 41/100! I then realize that I goofed, and Garurumon said 4pm instead of 4am. So I kill time by training brains, but no new technique.

I was a bit late, but Garurumon doesn't mind- it gave him time to heal up. So the rematch begins!

Garurumon has markedly less health than he did in his first fight: Half health, in fact! The longer you take to return to Garurumon's rematch, the more HP he will have. In this case, I got there quickly so he's still missing half his HP. I can't give orders, but Phoenixmon only has Megalo Spark set so it just spams that anyway and wins. Garurumon then joins the city. Prosperity: 43/100! Garurumon's another Restaraunt clerk. I then head south, and...

The other of the two Digimon I used to show off the battle system. Curiously, There are two different species of Whamon, with no difference between them other than that one is a Champion, the other is an Ultimate, with the Whamon in this game being the Champion variant. It's not the only Digimon in Digimon World who would later have a different subspecies (but believe me, we'll get to THAT case when it becomes relevant, because the Digimon who does is kind of a big deal). In canon, it's an Ultimate, but in this game, it's only a Champion. Whamon tells us he needs help after some bad guys kicked him out of a beach cave he frequented, and he lost his treasure there.

This Whamon is much larger than one you can raise in this game. After arriving at Beach Cave, I heal up and head further in, and it turns out the bad guys who kicked Whamon out are a group of thugs lead by somebody we're all too familiar with.

Yep, Ogremon's back, and he plans to turn the Beach Cave into a new Ogre Fortress. However, he was smart enough to bring an actually threatening foe this time.

WaruSeadramon is the closest you get to fighting any of the three 'Secret Ultimates' outside of a tournament, as it's an evil doppelganger to MegaSeadramon, who you can raise.

This fight's a 3-on-1, though since Enemy Digimon are capable of hitting each other, WaruSeadramon will often wipe out Ogremon and Gabumon here, especially if it uses its most powerful technique, Aurora Freeze.

That being said, while it is actually threatening, WaruSeadramon made it easy for me by taking out its compatriots. It helps that its only attack that wouldn't maul Ogremon and Gabumon was the lackluster Giga Freeze. Unfortunately, Ogremon gets away, though we won't ever see WaruSeadramon again. Thankfully, we do get something good out of it: Whamon joins the city! Prosperity: 45/100! He acts as a ferry service, going between File City, Factorial Town (an area we've not been yet) and his secret cave, which contains a single chest.

The Mystery Egg here is an evolution item. You can feed it to any Champion to force it to evolve into Digitamamon. In vanilla, evolution items did not grant stat bonuses or lifespan extensions, but with the patch I'm using, they do. At least, I thought it was 45 Prosperity, but it's actually 47. Did I miss me recruiting a 'mon somewhere? Anyway, my next destination is Digimon Bridge. Going south from where the bridge is triggers another encounter.

We never actually get to visit the Ninja Village that this guy is talking about. We fight him, though. Ninjamon has Dynamite Kick and Magma Bomb. I didn't get to see his third move because Megalo Spark killed him too quickly. He joins the City as one of the Secret Shop clerks. Prosperity: 49/100!

West of the entrance to the Great Canyon is an area called Overdell. Heading north there leads to Grey Lord's Mansion, my next destination. Normally, you'd need a Virus-type Digimon to enter, but the patch changes that. In there are some Soulmon I want to fight. See, these Soulmon know a very specific technique.

That technique is Thunder Justice. If a player doesn't swear by Megalo Spark for their single-target Air Nuke, then chances are they use this technique instead.

Everything good I said about Megalo Spark goes double for Thunder Justice- ESPECIALLY its raw, unadulterated power. Thunder Justice is the second strongest technique in the game in terms of raw power. Thunder Justice is fast, hits like a nuclear bomb and is straight-up impossible to dodge. The only real issue with it is its massive MP cost, but what would you expect from such a devastating technique? As an aside, by learning Thunder Justice, Phoenixmon has now learned every possible Air Technique!

For reference, Megalo Spark only averages around 900 on the same enemy. Even Crimson Flare can only hit a bit harder than that! I then head to Drill Tunnel.

For reference, the kanji on this which originally read 'Drill Tunnel', now reads 'Ogre Tunnel'. Yep, it's him again. Oddly, when we confront him, he's actually weaker than he was when he was with WaruSeadramon, only having 3400 HP.

The fact that I now have a technique significantly stronger than Megalo Spark doesn't help matters for him either. After being beaten, we strongarm a now remorseful Ogremon into joining the City. Prosperity: 51/100! Afterwards, I speak to Jijimon, and he tells me that Mt. Infinity, the final area of the game, is open! After going outside of the newly renovated Jijimon's house, though...

I'm ambushed by an aggressive Airdramon, in a vein similar to the Greymon fight. Airdramon's actually very hard for one reason: Its most used technique is Megalo Spark, though it also has Confused Storm and Hurricane.

And its Finisher, too! Luckily, Phoenixmon paralyzes it with Thunder Justice and runs away with the fight. It's noted that Airdramon was brainwashed, too.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. I think you can see where this is going, right?

...Yep. That was Phoenixmon's last hurrah.

I know this is inevitable and all, but it's still disheartening to see my glorious murderbirb become a corpse. It still lived to the ripe old age of 19, though.

This time, though, I know which Egg I want to reincarnate him into.

It's the green one! This one immediately hatches into...

This lil' blobby boy.

Botamon's stats are a bit higher than Poyomon's were, thanks to inheriting 1% of Phoenixmon's stats.

For this life onwards, I'm allowing unlimited use of Bonus Try, but I think I'll end this update here.

Last edited:

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Wow you are destroying this game. So I did a little research and are we going for a Greymon of our own?

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
So I did a little research and are we going for a Greymon of our own?
Yes.

Last time, we did a bunch of new recruitments and learned a bunch of techniques! However, this ran Phoenixmon's lifespan down to zero, leaving us with a newly born Botamon in its place. This Botamon is going to do great things, considering I'm no longer pulling any punches with Bonus Try.

It doesn't take Botamon long at all to become Koromon.

When you compare Koromon's stats to Tokomon's at the same age, it's no contest. Not only did I use a Quick Chip to raise speed (and 2 HP chips to raise HP), but I also have Kabuterimon, Kuwagamon AND the Training Manual, all compounding the effects of Bonus Try for ridiculous training gains. On average a single training session grants around 80 points in the increased stat (800 for HP and MP).

If you thought Biyomon was overstatted way back when, this Koromon is even moreso. It already beats out its first life of Garurumon by leaps and bounds, and already fulfills the HP and MP requirements for my planned Ultimate. Not champion (As my planned Champion doesn't require HP), Ultimate. And it's not even a Rookie yet.

Koromon doesn't take long at all to evolve into my wanted Rookie, Agumon.

Agumon already meets the stat requirements for every last one of its champion forms. It also meets HP, MP and Offense for my Ultimate of choice.

After some more training, Agumon's stats are starting to resemble that of Phoenixmon's, and Agumon isn't even halfway through its evolution timer yet. It also meets all the stat requirements for my desired Ultimate.

And here's Agumon at the end of the third day. When I said Bonus Try breaks the game when it's not rigged against you, this is kind of what I meant: Agumon is now just straight-up stronger than Phoenixmon was.

Since Agumon is set, stat-wise, I turn my focus to other areas for a moment, like learning more techniques.

Fire Tower isn't as powerful as Magma Bomb, but it's a bit faster, costs a bit less MP, and most importantly, can stun. It does get outclassed by another fire move later, but Agumon cannot learn that move yet.

Afterwards, I move to show off another area: The Arena!

The Arena is an area where you can register for tournaments and fight to gain prizes such as BITS. You can register for Tournaments until 10am on any given day. This is because 10am is when the tournaments actually start.

The Tournament is a bracket-style tournament where your Digimon goes through a series of three fights. If it wins all three, you win!

It does these neat little intros for both sides, too. As you can see, Dokunemon is totally outclassed, and this'll be a theme in this tournament since it's B-Class, meant for regular Champions. I'll just spare you the commentary and just say this:

I won.

For winning, I got 6000 bits and a Restore Floppy. The bits I'm not too fussed about, but the Restore Floppy is a nice find! I then head to Factorial Town to open the inner area, but as I do...

Agumon begins to evolve. While ordinarily I'd just copy-paste the evolution images, I wanted an excuse to post a clip from the anime, and this is the perfect chance to, given what my Agumon evolves into! So here, have a clip featuring an Agumon from the anime evolving.

As DestinyDragonGS very correctly guessed...

I indeed get a Greymon.

Greymon has some of the most stringent requirements of any Champion to get. You have to balance your stats evenly, being careful not to raise Brains, HP or Defense too much lest you get Centarumon or Tyrannomon instead. You also have to avoid making Care Mistakes and try not to battle too much to keep Meramon and Birdramon from appearing, while also managing your weight properly. And that's on top of the fact that ONLY Agumon can evolve into Greymon- no other Rookie can, meaning picking any egg but the green egg locks you out of Greymon for that life, and even if you DO pick the green egg, you could always screw up and get Gabumon as your Rookie instead.

Your reward for this lofty task is one of the best Champions in the game. Greymon has a great technique list, including most Fire techniques and couple of good Battle techniques. Oh, and Spinning Shot and Megalo Spark for whatever reason. Greymon's Ultimate forms are also excellent in their own right.

The third and final of the Piximon-esque recruits is MetalMamemon right here. You may remember him from the opening. We're not fighting him yet. We head down a grate into a sewer, and...

When calculating Prosperity, Rookies are worth 1 point, Champions are worth two and Ultimates are worth three points, usually. There are three exceptions to this.

Numemon is one of them, alongside Sukamon and one other we've not seen yet. If your Rookie Digimon fails to meet any evolution requirements before having spent 4 days as a Rookie, it will evolve into Numemon and have its stats cut by 20%. Either way, the Numemon here is being poisoned by something from the factory, and we can't get inside due to some Guardromon blocking my path and requiring a permit.

So we go to the guy in charge. Unfortunately, he's not convinced, and puts faith in the Net Keeper who is supposed to shut things down in an emergency- a Digimon going by the name of Giromon, whom he claims is perfect and will not go rogue.

Spoiler alert: Andromon is very wrong. In order to get into the factory, we need to return at midnight or midday.

The guards don't ever return, by the way. I'm free to enter and leave as I wish now. I then head out and go to the Ancient Dino Region, specifically, the area of the Ancient Speedy Region where Meteormon was fought. There:

The third and final of the three filth champions, Nanimon (who is a reference to Digimon's sister series, Tamagotchi). You can turn your partner Digimon into a Nanimon by scolding a Rookie Digimon when it has 0 happiness and 0 discipline. He promptly leaves, but...

He drops this. At the start of the game, you can only carry 10 items at a time. With the Dimensional Key Chain, this number becomes 20, and once you've found Nanimon in all five areas he appears, he drops another that gives you another inventory expansion to 30 items.

After that, I head into the first area of Mt. Infinity, as it holds more techniques to learn.

Red Inferno is simultaneously weaker and slower than Magma Bomb, while costing more MP. It can hit multiple targets, but only in a cone in front of the user. Don't use it.

Meltdown, on the other hand, is an excellent technique. A fast wide range move that also stuns would be enough to sell me on its own, but it's also stronger than Megalo Spark!

I then head off to Tropical Jungle and fight Tsukaimon and J-Mojyamon there until...

Dynamite Kick is the ugly middle ground between Sonic Jab and Megaton Punch. It's good for the earlygame but we have Megaton Punch so we should use that where possible. It does stun, at least, so there's that. Dynamite Kick is also strange in that it counts as two techniques for the purposes of bonus conditions, as there is a second variant of it that is used when the Digimon equipped with Dynamite Kick is one of SkullGreymon, Centarumon or Unimon (or in the case of enemies, ShimaUnimon). It's one of two Techniques that has this strange property, the other one being Horizontal Kick (Which has a separate variant for when Numemon [Enemy: Geremon] uses it as opposed to Nanimon, Sukamon, Etemon and MetalEtemon [Enemy: PlatinumSukamon]).

In spite of Greymon not faring well in Freezeland, I head there anyway to head to the area of the next recruit, Ice Sanctuary. In Vanilla, it's type-locked, much like Grey Lord's Mansion, but the patch changes this (Not that it matters, Greymon is a Vaccine-type anyway).

At the bottom of Ice Sanctuary is a strange light. I do what any sane person would do and walk into it.

Doing so has us greeted by this, though nothing comes of it, seemingly. So we leave and re-enter. Then...

There was originally a statue here, but now there isn't. Suddenly...

A Digimon notorious for being able to beat Ultimates in the anime, despite only being a Champion. Angemon comes to the City, too! Prosperity: 53/100! He'll act as a guide of sorts, telling you about pretty much any Digimon you haven't recruited yet, except for Agumon and any recruit that comes from Mt. Infinity. This includes Digimon you are likely to recruit LONG before you recruit Angemon, such as Palmon.

I then head to the southernmost part of Native Forest. There:

To quote somebody else who's let's played this game: "Monkeys are jerks. Etemon is what monkeys call a jerk."

Mega Flame is one of the strongest Champion Finishers, and coming off of a maxed offense Stat, it annihilates most anything. (To explain Greymon's health, I used a Super Recovery Floppy to fully restore his HP). Etemon proceeds to join the city. Prosperity: 56/100! Etemon sits around at Digimon Bridge, offering to sell Golden Bananas to you for 50,000 bits apiece. Golden Bananas are an evolution item that turn any Champion into Etemon. Considering that Etemon otherwise only evolves from the useless Sukamon, there's probably a good reason for that.

Speaking of Etemon and its evolution item, here's a fun fact. There is actually a fourth canonical Mega in Digimon World: MetalEtemon. It was only ever able to be acquired through winning a raffle. The prize of which was a special save card containing a Digimon World save file that had MetalEtemon's evolution item, the Metal Banana. MetalEtemon in this game is just a Vaccine-type reskin of Etemon.

The last highlight of this update comes when Greymon is 12.

Yep, Greymon's evolving. And this time, our Ultimate is...

It just wouldn't be Digimon without a big cyborg dragon. MetalGreymon is the OG Ultimate- It's one of the three Ultimates in the very first iteration of the Digimon virtual pet (which long predates this game and the anime), the other two being Mamemon and Monzaemon. It's also the other Digimon that appeared in this game's opening, alongside MetalMamemon- and in case you somehow missed it, it's the Digimon on the boxart. Much like Whamon, MetalGreymon has two variants based on where they evolved from Greymon, though their type and evolutionary forms change, making this a LOT closer to the regional variants of Pokemon. The Virus MetalGreymon is for Greymon that evolved on File Island, like ours, whereas The vaccine variant of MetalGreymon appears elsewhere, like the Folder Continent, as well as of course being the Ultimate-level Form of Taichi's Agumon in the anime.

MetalGreymon's our first Digimon who can learn Mech techniques. It also gained the ability to use Megaton Punch and retained the ability to use Heat Laser and Meltdown.

Here's a translation error- it's supposed to be Metal Splinter, since it throws a bunch of screws and stuff about. It's uh.. it's not very good. We won't be using it, MetalGreymon has the more reliable Meltdown for a wide area technique anyway, not to mention Megaton Punch as another attack he can use.

And with that, I'll call that update here. Next time, we'll grind for techniques in Factorial Town and Grey Lord's Mansion before storming Mt. Infinity!

Last edited:

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I'm really interested to see you play through the game. I had this game passed down to me, though no one I knew was ever able to figure out how to play the game. The furthest I ever got was repetitively reloading my save trying to get my Agumon to digiolve into anything other than Numemon. It was really cool to see you bust out Phoenixmon on your digimon's second life and make so much progress. And now your Metalgreymon(with maxed stats already?! Bonus training on this patch looks really OP) looks like it's ready to tear through everything the game has to offer in half. I wonder how much left is in store for this game, and if Metalgreymon will be the one to beat the game's final boss.

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry

Honestly, I think I prefer the design of the Virus version of Metal Greymon a bit more.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)