• Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Visible Encounters

Blacksheep28

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
In Pokemon Let's Go and the new Pokemon Sword and Shield the encounters on a route are visible. A big part of what has made Nuzlockes challenging is you don't get to pick what your encounter is, something that's completely thrown out the door with the new system for pokemon spawns in the newer games.

Would players simply pick what they want their first encounter to be then? Or would other rules come into effect for that?

Garnet

Wolfwalkers? Wolfwalkers.
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
How I've seen it done varies from game to game and person to person.
In Let's Go, I've usually seen:
-Go for the spawn nearest to you upon entering an area, catching others only to gain EXP
Though some people have gone for an alternative method that plays with the one catch per area rule completely straight, not capturing any Pokémon even for EXP, albeit at the cost of requiring extensive planning and particular captures due to forced-anti-grinding as a result and Pokédex requirements for certain gyms, which means ignoring and not engaging encounters they don't want.

As for SwSh, I've seen it handled similarly to both the first version of Let's Go's Nuzlockes and a combination of them and traditional Nuzlocke rules, based on the area:
-Capture the nearest Pokémon to you in an area
-Run in grass until you find a ! random encounter, and catch that. In areas without random encounters, skip or capture the nearest Pokémon

There's probably other methods not mentioned here (I personally could imagine one like "traverse the area normally, without intentionally avoiding or encountering any particular Pokémon, and capture the first to cross your path" for the sake of improving encounter variety, though it could be easily exploited by less honorable players or even ones just acting out of habit), but those are the ones I've seen/remembered seeing the most of :0

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Like Garnet mentioned here there are many ways to tackle this, and these are indeed the common ones. I currently have unconventional solution for both Let's Go and SwSh that I use:

Let's Go - I run blindly into the new route without looking at the screen. First thing I run into is my first encounter.

Shield (I'm currently blinding the game so I don't know the encounter statistics, so I can't tell you if that's the best solution) - When I enter a new region I flip a coin. Heads means the first pokemon I see in the overworld is my encounter, tails mean the first pokemon I get in a "!" encounter. That way I don't limit myself to a specific group of pokemon (hopefully).

PageEmperor

Kermit Seismitoad isn’t real, it can’t hurt you
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Has tons of plans that he can’t put out right now because he is too busy.
In LGPE, I just get the first thing I see. If I see 2, I pick the one that I like less, the one I feel will benefit my team less, or whatnot. The point of nuzruns is to not expect what to get, so there.

In gen8, I just do whatever if I see 2 at once since I’m not familiar with everything.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
In SwSh, I tend to pull up encounter tables before hitting a new route to decide if I want to grab something from the ! or the overworld. For overworld catches, I usually run into something that spawned immediately upon my getting to the route, but I’ve occasionally avoided everything to get to a different patch of grass (I don’t consider it cheating because using something like, say, the repel trick accomplishes the same purpose, and I’ve never avoided using that). Although it does usually give me two or three Pokémon to pick from, I defeat to what’s closest most of the time

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
There's a few ways to work around it, depending on the game.

For Let's Go, if you don't want to go with either of those methods, you could always go for a "first big/small Pokemon is the encounter" method. Though if two appeared in the same place, then you'd probably need to revert to the "whichever is closest" method, so you could probably just go with that to start with.

For Swish, you'd definitely want a method that can allow both an overworld or a grass encounter, as the encounter methods have separate tables with different Pokemon exclusive to each. So the coin flip method is probably the best. That said, how you wish to deal with raids could impact that, since if you count them as the encounter for the area as well, then for every zone in the Wild Area you'd need to flip a 3-sided coin! :P

That said, I don't personally care too much if people can choose their encounters to some degree. I've personally done things like that in runs even before overworld encounters were a thing. Using Repels to get a particular encounter in earlier generations, through Dupes Clause guaranteeing particular encounters in certain areas (though both of those apply most strongly to rulesets that are more restrictive on what you can catch, like a Monolocke or Colourlocke), and through Dex Nav (which could get particularly unbalanced depending on how much you fought the species before that encounter, with Hidden Abilities, Egg Moves and several perfect IVs all as possibilities, and displayed before you enter battle!). So long as you still stick with the first thing you catch, then even if you pick the species, you're still stuck with the nature, IVs and ability of any given encounter, all of which can often be less than ideal. And if I feel like anything is particularly OP, I'll usually just adapt my rules for future runs of the game to minimize that. And I think there's other stuff with way more OP potential in Swish than picking a Wingull or Tyrogue instead of a Bunnelby.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Keep in mind the Nuzlocke rules state "capture the first Pokemon you encounter" NOT "capture the first Pokemon you see". So whatever you battle and capture first, regardless of how you encounter it, is legit as far as the rules go. Visible overworld encounters have been a thing since Gen I, like Snorlax. We just have a looooot more of them now. You've always had the tools to manipulate your encounters in fair ways (Repel, dupes clause, fishing rods, Headbutt, Honey, Dexnav, gift pokemon, in-game trades, Game Corner, shaking grass, forced encounter clause, specific mon rulesets, etc.) so it's just easier now.

If you want as random as possible though, probably best to close your eyes and run around until you hit something.

Last edited:

Blacksheep28

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are all really cool :)

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
The way I do it is I only accept what I first encountered in an area. If there are overworld spawns and I see something I really want, I'll try getting to it. If I run into something along the way, that's it. For example, and this is minor SwSh spoilers, I just started a Shield Nuzlocke and I chose to try getting a 2% Zigzagoon on Route 2. I just kept spawning things in the first patch and leaving the route. I never encountered anything and ultimately ended up spawning a Zigzagoon that I caught. Had, say, the Yamper that chased me at one point touched me, I'd have caught that.

Really, it's all a matter of how you want to play.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I decided to do a limited type "shadowlocke" of Sword (Psychic, Ghost, Dark, and Fairy types only, with an exception for the starter because I lucked out and got a female Sobble, but the run ends if my starter dies), and the way I go about it is, the first viable encounter gets caught whether I spotted it in the overworld or found it in an unseen encounter.

My team is currently Sobble, Dottler, and Seedot. Both Dottler and Seedot were caught as unseen encounters. If I didn't have the starter exception, I'd probably be in big trouble, seeing as Hop has Scorbunny and Sobble is the only party member that's not weak to Fire... but that's another story.

HalfTimeShow

A big ol' dumbo
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
What the diddly heckin darn is goin on here
I'm currently doing a LGE run, and the way I've been doing it is that the first Pokemon that I see that isn't a dupe I have to make a beeline for. If it despawns before I can get to it, I don't get an encounter in that location. When I get SwSh, I'll do mostly the same thing, but if a "!" shows up before I catch anything I have to change course and head straight for the random encounter instead.

Ketsuba~n

Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
My plan is to catch the first Pokemon that spawns in each area, whether it's an overworld or random grass encounter. Then again, that might not be balanced.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
My method is a bit complicated. First, I made a list of all the potential encounters that I could get in the game. Places like Raid Dens or the Glimwood Tangle were left off because they don't have Overworld Pokemon. Then I used a random number generator to assign either a 1 or a 2 to each area that I had a choice about making a catch. If an area has a 1, then I have to catch an overworld Pokemon. If an area has a 2, then I have to run in the grass until I get an encounter with Overworld encounters not counting.

I don't really think of picking and choosing which overworld Pokemon you can catch because to me, there's no real difference from choosing from a Pokemon on the overworld or using a Repel to get a specific catch. As long as it's in an area I can make an Overworld catch in, then I'm fine.

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
Either I run to the first "!" I see, or I just close my eyes and run until I get something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)