• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Hoenn Teen Commentary Via Memory Lane VII: An Emerald Nostalgialocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
An environmentally-conscious blast from the past. (Updates Wed-Sat. Part 22 up 13/08)
OP
SayleeK

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
So sorry that this one's a day late, folks. I got profoundly plastered at my friend's wedding on Friday, and then I guess I lost Saturday. And it will happen again, because another friend is getting married this upcoming Thursday! Pray for my liver 🙏

@bhelryss muahahahaha! My insidious scheme worked! I successfully fooled you into telling me cool shit about space! Another victory for Team Rocket! Straight up tho I had no idea that our magnetic field did all that shit for us, holding our atmo together and everything, and now I love and respect her all the more for it. Poor Mars, no atmo and no magnets… that shit’s so fascinating, that that’s the primary problem for life on Mars 👀
Emboar has grown on me since that run, but Tepig is still… so baby, love him so dearly. Oshawott’s actually wound up my favourite starter of that gen because Samurott’s so fucking good, which makes Gen V the first gen where my favourite starter isn’t the fire-type!

@Green Tea sfddgfds you know what, that’s an understandable mistake to make with an Everstone, especially since ingame item descriptions weren’t much of a thing for the first few couple gens XP

@Nebbles I do love big strong frens but… Tepig is just so babey… im love them ❤️

@ponibutts Look, I make plans, and then because I am gay Spite takes over, and that’s just how it be on this bitch of an earth
dgfsdffsf I didn’t even REALIZE I was turning Suze into the accuracy ‘mon… love that for her, though!
Waiting for stone evolutions is kinda standard imo, because most of them by default either don’t learn moves after they evolve or only learn a couple… with some, like Nidoking and Nidoqueen, it doesn’t really matter because their TM/HM movepools are more like moveoceans, but I still mourn poor Olivia the Gloom, who I held off evolving because I wanted Petal Dance, and then I lost her… and then found out that the one move Vileplume still learns is Petal Dance… I am the tragic clown of my own life

@Time Master Eon the urge to plan and prepare is always warring against the urge to Make Monster Fren Huge And Cool XD

@Garnet Honestly giving Suze an electric attack has the same energy as giving Gyarados Earthquake, which I often do. I love giving ‘mons a counter to their greatest weakness because it’s so fucking satisfying to dunk like that XD
I’ve never really used Munna, so I never realized that it takes that long to learn Dream Eater… that’s, like, its whole thing!!!

@songwithnosoul biological sex is propaganda for Big Tech to sell binary code, and cats are out here living their best lives with their funky genetics, and we love that for them! 😻 (I’ve been on a Cats (1998) kick lately, actually dug into the AO3 tag, and the number of fics that take a very interesting and detailed look into cat genetics as the basis for a story about gay cats dancing together is a wonder and delight XD)
If you want chill cat channels, I also highly recommend Jun’s Kitchen; it’s not cat-focused, it’s more videos of a guy making traditional Japanese snacks with absurdly high production quality, but his various cats are always around, sniffing at the ingredients or riding in the basket of his bike when he goes out to get ingredients. He recently got to build his dream kitchen when he and his wife moved into their new house, and it includes several cat trees and walkways for his cats to get around the kitchen and baskets where they can sit and chill and watch him cook. It’s so soothing, I adore his channel ❤️
Is Hoenn really a hot climate or is it just the NPCs around here being highly simpable
I have to imagine that the gentle level curve of Johto has something to do with Meganium and Feraligatr evolving at such relatively low levels… Quilava doesn’t need to because all three members of the line are already powerful and perfect ❤️
God, Tiberius’ evolution really was an accident, but SUCH a serendipitous one considering that I think that Hydreigon would’ve been a run-ender without him! Tiberius deserved one of the coolest fights in the fic and I’m so glad that one came out so well ❤️

Hello and welcome back to my Emerald nostalgialocke! Last time, we got our sixth badge and set up a secret base! This time…

EV6I4RR.gif
D3TkDli.gif
Rb7IBK2.gif
i3Y7UFs.gif
leBoJ7a.gif
HWUc2Yo.gif

a4atQtL.jpg

9KNwdZs.png
V1qjkE2.png
FJaqubV.png

…We’re about to get spooky.

xFG5um1.png
tICuPVx.png

Changed my mind, Gen III fucking sucks

IvH09aM.png

Video games let you live out your wildest fantasies, like getting the phone numbers of beautiful women!

Il2ymer.png

Right, pirate simps, better go look to that

WiSRiJQ.png
G8EquHU.png

…after making sure I can Fly to Lilycove when I'm done

7cL1opa.png
wVjL8gG.png
KJDj294.png
mNAs4S9.png

I love knowing that your wee dude is so loved, he is indeed very handsome and cool 🤎

DzTB4Wb.png
NLADCb7.png
sill9ye.png

Oh yeah, I’ll have to do that later

uOsMa7B.png
dqRchOj.png
tQQFtZu.png

I have to assume that Pelipper is big enough for a ten-year-old to ride on his back, but I can’t stop imagining him carrying Chu in his massive gullet

LBpHuii.png
h0m9K9x.png
6C1X5gC.png
6zGbxf0.png

There be pirate simp nonsense afoot

kWdYVGI.png

OH HELLO MY BEAUTY! You’re adorable and I love you! I wish I had team space for you!

5YHsVsT.png
Hj9fOcI.png
HfSpB7c.png
xr1SGU0.png
fqsXRQA.png

I’m sure I’ll manage

pRvrtsi.png

iu

0BCZNdr.png
hjiN7vZ.png
L76ZAfa.png
QtUn0f8.png

Bit late for that

W7jDoqE.png
MG29RRC.png

Quality over quantity, my dude. Glad to see you’re savvy enough to grasp that I’m not Magma because I’m not shit

0Twwtbh.png

Sneaky bastards, keeping me from taking them on one-on-one >:(

a9sCgqW.png
Wp3QpTD.png
P53Lu3T.png
Hcvo7A8.png
WlrO1Or.png
zqrKs8U.png

Wow, you worked together to become even more wrong than you could have been individually!

mGUnWnn.png
JsdZLbr.png

Don’t worry, I’m equal-opportunity! I’ll be joining neither of you and fucking up both of your lives.

0OeQi38.png
9ERuRdz.png
sI6qvCe.png

You mean the one where he throws you to the wolves and you get eaten?

sT9svgl.png
dTlQoNp.png
3AX839r.png
k6u46Zd.png

Good idea, I trust none of you with babies

qKMlPXe.png

Aye, but like… it has. Any advice on how to handle that?

5cubNTq.png
6HUHpvy.png
czz6Zab.png

Kick Archie and Maxie’s arses, got it

I5ADXxl.png
4FWYSEr.png
UspB2ro.png
IBqX19A.png
axSqFHD.png
7RSz34X.png

Sweet, I love enamel pins!

d3EpxSn.png
3suZnfQ.png

Well, you know what to do now, right?

AyelKc4.png

PeIxkYY.png
boaJjAr.png
g5L3bGj.png
XdGyd1F.png
PBt2mUD.png

Is beating up children normally how you try to score?

1wgHJTk.png
ley6dFA.png
E100ndz.png
E5gXiXd.png

Well, hey, so long as it works…

fwIiC2j.png
lYgWcGD.png
4o0bZsQ.png
dprUFAw.png

Further up the tower, I encounter DEATH ITSELF, OH SHIT, OH FUCK D:

vr6mqKO.png
uLu7uUK.png

…oh thank fuck, Destiny Bond doesn’t work if you defeat the opponent on the next turn, oh thank fucking god 😭 I’M SO GLAD YOU’RE OKAY SUZE, I WAS SO SCARED

3fagi61.png
waPP0cb.png
kxdtKeB.png
hHz3k8h.png

Once that’s done and I’ve prayed for Murdoc, Vic and the Sapphire Eleven…

B3DZ4RP.png
QbTzu3D.png
t3s9Enp.png
ifawM5L.png

Ahahahah… scoundrels… y-yeah… :sweatdrop:

x2Ln2wd.png
ncWnwPZ.png
bSQF5ue.png
K7ojfGL.png

OH HEY LOOK, A DISTRACTION

DK4jN0T.png
z9puaA2.png
ecv2f5V.png

Magma got super into making Secret Bases, huh?

7NWu1RQ.png
QPWUVWI.png

My girl STRONK

j7hzqe0.png
B3TEjjT.png
mO6roV5.png
RNJz7Hv.png

I mean, you could tell me what all those deeply sinister big machines are about?

XR43Uaq.png
PxOu3WE.png
9CQv9SG.png
lmiHEK3.png

Hey, it’s nice to hear that you’re capable of learning! Have you ever considered a career with Team Rocket?

I’ll continue the recruitment drive next time! God, that was so fucking close... I think that might be my most heart-stopping near miss to date. What's yours? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I’ve never really used Munna, so I never realized that it takes that long to learn Dream Eater… that’s, like, its whole thing!!!
Right??? And Musharna doesn't even get it through level until Gen 8, because stone evo, so your options for Dream Eater in BW (where I used the Munna in question) are either waiting til level 41 to evolve, trading it to a game that already has TM85, or getting TM85 yourself... by defeating Ghetsis so you can access the postgame chunk of the Dreamyard. So between this being a Nuzlocke not bothering with the postgame, and me not having access to a game with TM85, the choice was... both obvious, and not much of a choice lmao.

I have to assume that Pelipper is big enough for a ten-year-old to ride on his back, but I can’t stop imagining him carrying Chu in his massive gullet
Given the bill-to-body ratio on Pelipper, I think you might be right. Dude's more mouth than stomach! Even Sun's Pokédex entry says, "Its spacious beak is large enough for a small child to fit right inside."
...Bit slimy, I'd have to assume.

k6u46Zd.png

Sent this to my friend out of context and he fucking died. Worth it

Ah, Wobbs, the bane of all our existences. Glad to see Suze made it out in one piece! I can't think of any super heart stopping moments off the top of my head in my runs, but there have been my fair share of clutch ones - Underleveled Shiny Audino tanking a Focus Blast from Ghetsis's Hydreigon and proceeding to Wreck Shop and all. Story's getting a bit old, actually, been nearly a decade since that run, and it's the one I always point to, alongside the Emerald run where Minun > Gardevoir. High time I get some more material I suppose!

Green Tea

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Considered bitter by many.
This take of munna/musharna/dream eater brings back memories of raising hypno at various points. Their 'dex entries make clear that they can eat dreams as an innate ability... but they can't learn the move naturally. Only in LGPE can it learn the move naturally, otherwise it's via TM. Some poor pokémon got done dirty by the developers.

Wobbuffet's there to terrify you. It's a minor nuisance in a normal run and a heart-stopper in a nuzlocke. Just look at that cold, emotionless expression. It knows what it's doing, and it doesn't care. There's the true face of evil. It couldn't be more abominable if it had a Fu Manchu 'stache for emphasis. Destiny bond isn't the threat if you're faster, it's when Mr. Wobby survives an attack and correctly guesses between counter and mirror coat, but if you're not used to them, the whole thing's an ordeal. If you find a few grey hairs in the morning, this is why...

Poor old pirate simps. They just can't catch a break when Chu's around. Don't get me wrong, both plans are clearly ridiculous, but I've always been Team Aqua for life. Not just for Shelly, either, but Archie's great fun, even if they do get portrayed as goofy idiots compared to Team Magma's "scientific" approach. They need a PR guy to sort this out.

Nebbles

avid jrpg liker and kisser of cute girls
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
It's not Pokemon related, but I've sure had several, several lucky misses in all of my Fire Emblem adventures.... I can't even think of a specific instance right now, considering how play times I replay the games...

ponibutts

nerd
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
vr6mqKO.png
uLu7uUK.png

…oh thank fuck, Destiny Bond doesn’t work if you defeat the opponent on the next turn, oh thank fucking god 😭 I’M SO GLAD YOU’RE OKAY SUZE, I WAS SO SCARED
WAIT HOLD ON.
W H A T ?
i always thought destiny bond persisted? what do you mean it doesn't???
had to look it up. apparently, if the original user of db gets another turn before fainting, the effect disappears? hot damn that makes it a lot less scary.

i've had a lot of near misses in the many runs i've done. kinda wish i had more screenshots of that happening during my afnc runs, but oh well. i do have this one. this mon just got hit by a STAB super effective attack, and they were supposed to have very flimsy defenses
unknown.png

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
thoughts and prayers for your liver!!! weddings can be so fun

pelliper pouch psurfing

aaaaaaaa scary wobbuffet

"recruitment drive: inside the fire" initiated

honestly my scariest encounter was probably when i fought a girafarig in silver with my gengar! i shit you not, seeing the shadow ball do nothing against it made my heart skip a beat. i thought it was just a psychic type, but no

it's worse

it's part normal

and then my gengar lived a confusion with 3 hp

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
If you want chill cat channels, I also highly recommend Jun’s Kitchen; it’s not cat-focused, it’s more videos of a guy making traditional Japanese snacks with absurdly high production quality, but his various cats are always around, sniffing at the ingredients or riding in the basket of his bike when he goes out to get ingredients. He recently got to build his dream kitchen when he and his wife moved into their new house, and it includes several cat trees and walkways for his cats to get around the kitchen and baskets where they can sit and chill and watch him cook. It’s so soothing, I adore his channel ❤️
Oh, I've seen that guy in my recommendeds sometimes! Might have even watched a video or two. That does sound delightful; I will have to check it out. Thank you!

I have to imagine that the gentle level curve of Johto has something to do with Meganium and Feraligatr evolving at such relatively low levels… Quilava doesn’t need to because all three members of the line are already powerful and perfect ❤️
I must've misread, because I thought for a moment that you implied Feraligatr is anything but perfect. Silly me! Of course, they reach their final form early because there's no reason to delay the achievement of such perfection. 💙

xFG5um1.png
tICuPVx.png

Changed my mind, Gen III fucking sucks
F

wVjL8gG.png
KJDj294.png
mNAs4S9.png

I love knowing that your wee dude is so loved, he is indeed very handsome and cool 🤎
Aww. This is honestly so sweet, even if it gave me a moment of confusion when I remembered the Japanese version of Looker's codename.

Ah, the ol' Cramorant method! XD

5YHsVsT.png
Hj9fOcI.png
HfSpB7c.png
xr1SGU0.png
fqsXRQA.png

I’m sure I’ll manage
Haha

mGUnWnn.png
JsdZLbr.png

Don’t worry, I’m equal-opportunity! I’ll be joining neither of you and fucking up both of your lives.
Haha.

0OeQi38.png
9ERuRdz.png
sI6qvCe.png

You mean the one where he throws you to the wolves and you get eaten?
Don't think I've ever heard the "getting eaten" part of that saying stated outright before, rather than just implied. Makes it all the more dire, and effective.

k6u46Zd.png

Hah

IBqX19A.png
axSqFHD.png
7RSz34X.png

Sweet, I love enamel pins!
Ooh, very cool interpretation of the emblem! That's one thing Magma has going for them, at least: sweet merch! Makes the grunts' choices make a little bit more sense.

fwIiC2j.png
lYgWcGD.png
4o0bZsQ.png
dprUFAw.png

Further up the tower, I encounter DEATH ITSELF, OH SHIT, OH FUCK D:
Oh, goddammit! Not this again!

vr6mqKO.png
uLu7uUK.png

Whew! Really glad it doesn't work for multiple turns--or the rest of the battle. Can you imagine? There'd be a Wobbuffet clause in the standard ruleset to keep them from being run-killers.

B3DZ4RP.png
QbTzu3D.png
t3s9Enp.png
ifawM5L.png

Ahahahah… scoundrels… y-yeah… :sweatdrop:
Haha. The 'stealing Pokémon' thing makes it even funnier, considering Chu is the Rocket Boss and all. Though Rocket has shifted away from Pokémon theft and towards ecoterrorism under her reign, so...

DK4jN0T.png
z9puaA2.png
ecv2f5V.png

Magma got super into making Secret Bases, huh?
Haha. Love the idea of the Magma Hideout starting life as a Secret Base. It really does look exactly the same from the inside, doesn't it? I guess the concealing bush or whatever got cut down.

I’ll continue the recruitment drive next time! God, that was so fucking close... I think that might be my most heart-stopping near miss to date. What's yours?
In that one Omega Ruby run I did, I had this Manectric named Erik. Consistently one of the powerhouses of my team, but he wasn't great at taking hits. Multiple times, he survived attacks with only one or two HP. I still remember seeing his health going down and down with no sign of stopping, and just thinking This is it and trying to resign myself to it, only for the damage to stop right before the end. The sheer drama of those moments has stuck with me for years after. Erik was a cornerstone of my team the whole way and fortunately survived the nuzlocke**, but boy did he like to cut it close.

**Past tense is just because the nuzlocke itself is over

OP
SayleeK

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
@Garnet god, if there’s one thing I remember not liking about Gen V… well, two things. Firstly the EXP scaling, and secondly the weird way that so many good TMs were locked into the postgame. What the fuck, Unova?
The Sun pokedex entry… feels like a joke answering the question of how Pelipper uses Surf and possibly Fly, but now has me concerned…
RIP to your friend, glad he enjoys my bullshit by proxy
Tanking a blow from Ghetsis’ Hydreigon is some pretty pro shit—or maybe magical girl shit, given that it was a shiny Audino? Cool as hell, anyway 👀

@Green Tea It’s been so long since I’ve played a non-nuzlocke, I’ve forgotten a time when Wobbuffet were just weird and annoying, not harbingers of doom… 😭
I remember reading that, at one time, Aqua were meant to be focused entirely on nature and the wildnerness, while Magma were meant to be focused on science and civilization, which would’ve put me on Aqua’s side… but now they’re just all wankers :v

@Nebbles I’m a coward, I always play Fire Emblem games on phoenix mode, I don’t want to lose any of my anime children when I still have plotlines to play out!

@ponibutts I know!!! I thought Destiny Bond persisted too!!! I thought that was it for poor Suze!!! The relief… maybe I muddled it a bit with Perish Song in my head? Don’t care, just glad Suze is alive 😭
That 4HP… the terror and power radiating off of that pic is immense. The Lady smiled on you that day... 💚

@bhelryss weddings can be a good time… so long as the bride hasn’t invited her mother to this one 😬 on the upside, though, there’s a ceilidh, and I can never resist a good ceilidh, no matter how much my poor feet don’t like it, but hey, I got nowhere to be for a couple days after XD
God I ALWAYS think that Girafarig is Psychic/Dark, it LOOKS like it should be, and then it’s NOT and it fucks with me. Fuckin good show on your Gengar’s part, though, goddamn!

@songwithnosoul We all know that alligators peaked at evolution a long time ago and haven’t needed to change since… I assume that’s the reason that Feraligatr evolves so early :P
I mean, given his tendency towards disguise, how do we know that that Zigzagoon ISN’T Looker…?
I’m actually kinda annoyed I couldn’t get more Aqua and Magma merch at the Pokemon Centres in Japan, they’ve got great emblems! Where are my pin badges dammit >:(
Wobbuffet is the PEAK of bullshit clause, even when it’s NOT getting crits… I was so scared for Suze 😭
Manectric can be a real glass cannon, I’m so glad Erik made it! What a dramatic boy XD

Hello and welcome back to my Emerald nostalgialocke! Last time, we did some grave visits and then went to check out Magma’s secret base. This time…

EV6I4RR.gif
D3TkDli.gif
Rb7IBK2.gif
i3Y7UFs.gif
leBoJ7a.gif
HWUc2Yo.gif

a4atQtL.jpg

jOuK730.png
idkVFLd.png
kkBx1Gb.png
AVS8PWx.png
rd4sgBd.png

We’re from Queer Eye. Have you considered some throw pillows, maybe some dolls?

CjW0S6A.png

I am continually delighted and impressed by Susan’s capacity to fuck up people’s entire week 💛

GgoCOG7.png

Nah, I have a space heater and a selection of wooly jumpers, I’m good

TKd23i0.png
IMulO0g.png
US8hbmx.png

I noticed

WxNbQKE.png
MYsNe0f.png
cmp0bza.png

I do find it interesting that a lot of Magma members in here have Baltoy? Not a Pokemon I associated with Magma before, but it makes sense given that they’re not actually a Fire-type team, but a Ground-type one that just apes the aesthetics of the superior Fire type

hcrIqj3.png
m6Hfk2d.png

Nah, take yersel out for a smoke break, maybe peruse this recruitment literature for Rocket. We have dental! Only seemed fair, given that it was my Pokemon knocking a lot of Rockets' teeth out...

zd6SyAW.png
4kz6V1d.png
tsTw67q.png
CtXUscH.png

So Thing 1 has absolutely no thought process whatsoever, and Thing 2 tries the famously unsuccessful Nuremberg defense. I don’t think I’ll be offering them any flyers.

guh5DIL.png
VhvUPdH.png
NVFKzUJ.png
9M4BUXH.png

Especially not with an evil laugh like that! That’s terrible! It’s so cheesy!

WtjmZVd.png

Good news, mate! You’re in Hoenn! If you want the sea, you can go literally anywhere else!

XRxHD7S.png

She sure is!

eMufo7U.png
fpt8NwH.png

Truthfully, Chu is not so different from Max. She, too, is a tragic protagonist. Just as James Bond is always fated to succeed at disarming the bomb just before it goes off, Chu is always fated to be just too late, no matter how she may wear through the soles of her Running Shoes in a desperate attempt to, just for once, make it in time...

T12xVCM.png
16rWrvj.png
6ONzdbK.png

Yes, it was! We’ve had a hard time finding the Lost and Found, though, ironically enough

QsP3rJX.png
LmS6QY4.png
2kEwtNu.png

Hey, a spark of intelligence! Here, take this recruitment flyer, we could bring you in on some plans that won’t end in failure!

NbBruSe.png

Nice loot you got in this sinister volcano base!

eBzZxDT.png
lc1M9Gh.png
SL8hU8x.png
hFrQlUs.png

Are you seriously telling me that Maxie runs his team the same way I run a classroom of seven-year-olds?
…Acht, that’s not fair. My seven-year-olds are much smarter than this lot.

wJz1nHv.png
5L28ezL.png
LO1Ocu9.png

Try putting more effort into not disappointing your mother

m9f41mU.png
xRtJGMh.png
vqJ6xrN.png

Mate, you’re standing next to a pool of lava, you’re lucky to still have a head. Convection who?
(Alternate joke in case any other Scots are out there: somebody telt him to away an bile his heid and he really took it literal, huh?)

KE6HeRB.png
ssco8rY.png

You know, I always assumed that the hoods helped keep them cool somehow… that they were insulated, maybe, or perhaps kinda light and flowy like the kind of clothes people in the desert wear… but no. It’s 100% aesthetic and damn the functionality! Now where have I heard that before…

BodjfHf.png

Damn, really good loot in here! At least they’ve got that going for them

0S47oVD.png
bUBmnNz.png
jxqG0L2.png
mkasv9F.png
QTZ0N4g.png

Oh, wow, this is fantastic! Independent thought and an invitation to a reasonable discussion about—oh no okay you still wanna fight about it huh

MrWSCLm.png
QrnstJU.png
eyinNMg.png

Why not ask me? Or, like, literally anybody other than the boss who’s demonstrably been fucking you about thus far?

uc3OkJL.png
MwlcSzX.png
9QvQmin.png
hLTWizA.png

Incorrect!

VK5k5Xg.png
2apjngP.png
ZHWbD7R.png

Oh, don’t worry, I don’t listen to them either. You’re both steaming stacks of nuggets.

LOdCiNs.png
0MwGMK0.png
2AfqBK7.png
Z041CeI.png

Does it help if I didn’t realize that was supposed to be a secret?

31paAME.png
sBVhqsH.png

It’s oddly adorable that that’s one of the main things you’re wondering about all this

uHWwTQA.png
xkd3zJp.png
P6TtqFL.png
eCBbMNR.png
8yzSG5s.png

Fate has always decreed that just seconds will separate Chu from Maxie. Or he was hanging around waiting for me (or Archie) to come along just to be a prick about it

ZgW6Q1a.png
6zL7zZA.png
jAryB9x.png

Nope, looks like it’s still asleep, or maybe petrified? Maybe we should just leave it be, I know how cranky I get when somebody wakes me up before I'm good and ready...

CBmpxQ6.png
CvQogpi.png
vUAALQJ.png

Why, though? What on earth would make you think that Groudon would want that thing? Have you never heard of colour theory

jmO2XFC.png
tI2D2gM.png
dO0ib2P.png
Xs7aVWC.png
KYM8BLY.png

Yeah, I, uh… don’t think he’s into it

TkfpzvV.png
HjB8Rq0.png

No, it’s an orb. Perhaps you ought to have pondered that before bringing it here.

rfwawIC.png
C3dm04t.png
Zjm8345.png
B0VNabh.png
QBhKPly.png

Oh, sure, you fuck up, so you throw a tantrum and take it out on the nearest ten-year-old crimelord, real mature

nI7FQcu.png
xWUBa3j.png
x4T7QEg.png
vSppzPJ.png

20+ years’ Special Interest and not being a whiny pissbaby about it when gods don’t like me

RCgpY27.png
FDgsNWW.png
U6wbBTq.png

I mean… can you blame me for estimating that your IQ is in the negatives?

u5MVnoV.png
0IZR4Fb.png
rWee0zN.png

No it’s not! You’re just gonna keep fucking this up! OI—

Can you believe this shit? Better go hunt that man down before he gets everyone killed. After getting some drinks at my friend's wedding, which was originally supposed to happen in April 2020, but... y'know. I do love any excuse for a ceilidh, though. Anybody else had a bunch of weddings to go to this year? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Time Master Eon

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I actually didn't have a particularly significant change in my social life, I did D&D remotely for a while but even that didn't last long.

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
I would LOVE to go to a wedding, it's been too long :( I wanna dress up all pretty and take my girlfriend and dance and have drinks and fun food... man, I miss dressing up...

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
YOUR DAMN RIGHT ABOUT GIRAFARIG!!! It does look like a part dark type! why is it part normal!!! (why isn't wobbuffet part normal? johto explain?)

yeah!!!! susan's a great little minun

sdlfkjdf apes the aesthetics of fire types

baltoy are probably one of my favorite ground types tho. their little doll faces are so sweet, and one of my earliest ruby runs when i was a seedling involved a SURPRISE: CLAYDOL

i did not have a great grasp on telling who may or may not evolve when i was that young, so it was a real roulette on what would evolve and surprise me. baltoy was one of em

"im hot, maybe i should flood the world" real solid logic there aristotle

maxie: i abhor tardiness
this poor guy who can't wake up in the morning: they put me in the shame corner ;o;

boil his head fsljkdf

i always got the impression that the suits were made of like, wool? so i spent a lot of time as a kid like "damn, hardcore"

rip that poor grunt questioning the order of things not sure maxie won't do something to shut him up

magma grunt 409, who i imagine to be a very young, impressionable activist who got sucked up into this: does groudon have a tail? does groudown have 6 legs like a ledyba? a snout like a phanpy? baby eyes like a chocobo?

i think maxie was waiting for someone to come so he could grandstand

maxie: my poorly planned awakening went poorly! it must be the fault of this nosy rocketboss!!!

not this time at least

honestly no! especially not since i moved to the opposite side of the country...most of the folks in my friend circle are either not particularly fussed about marriage as a ceremony, in a ldr that crosses a ocean, or otherwise just very far from me

doesn't mean i wouldn't go, but there's some hoops to jump thru...last wedding i went to was in....2020? because nobody was taking the pandemic seriously yet in texas

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Team Magma and their plans are far from sensible, so why would their attire be any better? Or the positioning of their guards?

It's a shame there aren't more available "myths" regarding Groudon in the game. It's a game all about weather and the gods that control it, but I felt like Hoenn and Sinnoh had a lot more mythology. Here's a guy wondering if Groudon has a tail... maybe it does? Maybe there are myths about it and how it looks? A crude cave painting or something left behind by an ancient people? It's a shame that they don't make more of it and have the various grunts all wondering about its different attributes.

As for the orbs, well, I assumed that the opposite colour was so offensive that it was the only way to awaken them, by propelling them each into a murderous rage. The problem is that once someone's in a murderous rage, what do you do with them?

songwithnosoul

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
I mean, given his tendency towards disguise, how do we know that that Zigzagoon ISN’T Looker…?
Oh my god, you're right! This is his tropical vacation before going to investigate Galactic in Sinnoh! Unfortunate timing on that one, but at least the distraction of two warring ecological disasters affords him plenty of time to manage a clean getaway...

We’re from Queer Eye. Have you considered some throw pillows, maybe some dolls?
Haha

TKd23i0.png
IMulO0g.png
US8hbmx.png

I noticed
Haha

Nah, take yersel out for a smoke break, maybe peruse this recruitment literature for Rocket. We have dental! Only seemed fair, given that it was my Pokemon knocking a lot of Rockets' teeth out...
Ah, you love to see such responsibility in a boss towards her workers.

So Thing 1 has absolutely no thought process whatsoever, and Thing 2 tries the famously unsuccessful Nuremberg defense. I don’t think I’ll be offering them any flyers.
lmao I love what you've decided to call them.

XRxHD7S.png

She sure is!
Damn, perfect timing. Love that you screenshot it!

Truthfully, Chu is not so different from Max. She, too, is a tragic protagonist. Just as James Bond is always fated to succeed at disarming the bomb just before it goes off, Chu is always fated to be just too late, no matter how she may wear through the soles of her Running Shoes in a desperate attempt to, just for once, make it in time...
Huh. I never thought about it like that before. Everyone is railroaded to the machinations of the plot, and even the player character can only succeed after a lot of failure because of that. That's an interesting observation! Also one only possible because you're making such a point of separating Chu the character from you, the real player. You have the distance to look down on where she fits in the pattern.

Yes, it was! We’ve had a hard time finding the Lost and Found, though, ironically enough
Haha

QsP3rJX.png
LmS6QY4.png
2kEwtNu.png

Hey, a spark of intelligence! Here, take this recruitment flyer, we could bring you in on some plans that won’t end in failure!
I like how Chu's getting increasingly choosy about who she tries to recruit. Trying to talk some sense into two organizations' worth of grunts at once must be like beating her head against a brick wall, so I can't blame her.

wJz1nHv.png
5L28ezL.png
LO1Ocu9.png

Try putting more effort into not disappointing your mother
Damn!

MrWSCLm.png
QrnstJU.png
eyinNMg.png

Why not ask me? Or, like, literally anybody other than the boss who’s demonstrably been fucking you about thus far?
So close, and yet so far...

31paAME.png
sBVhqsH.png

It’s oddly adorable that that’s one of the main things you’re wondering about all this
All of this dialogue does a lot to humanize the grunts, and make them feel like a diverse group of people! Even if most of them still come across as really bad at critical thinking and decision-making.

Fate has always decreed that just seconds will separate Chu from Maxie. Or he was hanging around waiting for me (or Archie) to come along just to be a prick about it
He wants someone to gloat at.

CBmpxQ6.png
CvQogpi.png
vUAALQJ.png

Why, though? What on earth would make you think that Groudon would want that thing? Have you never heard of colour theory
Or basic colour matching, even. That's, like, Kindergarten-level shit.

OP
SayleeK

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
@Time Master Eon I’ve never been good at tabletop games online, I prefer being in the room with folk I’m playing Pathfinder or whatever with because the energy’s great… really enjoying playing Divinity II: Original Sin with some friends right now, though, which is basically DnD: the video game :v

@Nebbles I have one (1) nice dress, with pockets, and at least all the weddings have been a good excuse to wear it!

@bhelryss Honestly I’m still not great at guessing what something will evolve into; I was so jazzed about Corviknight before SwSh came out, but didn’t want to look up too much stuff, so I caught a Rookidee and was just “oooh, wonder what this lil orb is gonna evolve into?” and was so shocked when it turned out a Corviknight XD
Careful, might not be long until you hear right-wing talk show hosts going “rising sea levels are actually a good thing because of all these inexplicable heatwaves” XP
Now imagining Magma grunts sitting around Maxie for a story where he tells them all about what Groudon looks like :v

@Green Tea It would be nice to get more ingame myths and lore… I particularly like lorebuilding when you have conflicts in the piece of media abut what this particular figure is or what they do because stories will have been handed down and embellished in different ways. It would make SO much more sense if Maxie and Archie were full of friendly, non-threatening, healing-nature stories about Groudon and Kyogre, beachside cities have a lot of stories about how scary Kyogre is, folk near the volcano share stories about how scary Groudon is, and the old folks on Mt Pyre are passing down the darkest tales…

@songwithnosoul There’s only so many new staff Chu can recruit at a time, it takes a while to train them up on union techniques, fit them for new uniforms, and teach them to shut the fuck up, which as you can see they’re already very bad at :v
Fate and spite are two powerful forces set against Chu… you’d think the mercurial whims of the Lady would be enough to deal with!
Maybe Maxie hasn’t spent enough time in school and too much time blogging red lesbian/blue lesbian couples on tumblr?

Hello and welcome back to my Emerald nostalgialocke! Last time, we missed taking Maxie out at the knees by seconds, and now Groudon’s out there, doing their thing. So this time…

EV6I4RR.gif
D3TkDli.gif
Rb7IBK2.gif
i3Y7UFs.gif
leBoJ7a.gif
HWUc2Yo.gif

a4atQtL.jpg

uavL5Sx.png
3p5WTKL.png
cSWDh4U.png
noqYP1M.png

…I gotta get outta here…

R0yqFTq.png
VU7SCPO.png
11BwDWD.png
QFn60dP.png

…and start hunting these numpties down.

P3OGdFJ.png
ZV5GiAA.png
UrFLH0m.png

There sure are loads of great dragons in Hoenn! I’m personally quite fond of the bugdragons, but the other dragons are great too!

OaW0ZRx.png
iwVpi8p.png
1ONG9Dj.png

I’d definitely take it as a good omen if I saw dragons on my honeymoon!

REAeC5k.png
cVblhhy.png

…not enough of them, apparently

w2O7nZy.png
nft95sK.png

Shit, woke him up—it'll be too hard to make it look like he died in his sleep now :/

kPN1o1b.png
CWSAjZx.png
Oyxthau.png

Wait, are you saying you don’t go near the Contest Hall?

QQyrXNW.png

SOUNDS LIKE THE PERFECT TIME TO CHECK IT OUT

IyNd4Sh.png
oyw3KF0.png
Ik7BPcl.png
1h6es23.png
q6A8AQ4.png
h0PolpZ.png

I sure do have a cool team, huh? I will not be altering their movesets to be Contest-focused, so let’s see what we can do with what we’ve got

1hssRwj.png
SxuvZtc.png
7yFRnZb.png
3MmNsKw.png
uhtMmKI.png

Oh yeah, we gotta get that

pSxL0uK.png
H3UtAGY.png
efV2nuB.png
XxiRqfc.png
Rqk5Jfh.png
WCJb6p8.png
tNctajm.png

I am Not Good at rhythm games, but it turns out that you can just press the speed button and let the NPCs do all the work and get some pretty serviceable pokeblocks out of it!

VsiDE2s.png
ZxKBs6P.png
tLlMCIJ.png
xGQku4X.png
BuATRKh.png

I love the way they jump to nom a pokeblock, it’s adorable 💚

zqqXlVh.png
4RMLkof.png
gqofnDn.png
qBf63fT.png
gVCebCq.png
kH7s4Ee.png

Normal-Rank Coolness time, lesgoooo

rFRmK8D.png

Unlike Eurovision, the public votes come in before the judges’ votes

MM6ixGF.png
clOSEhL.png
h1UGGJo.png
55V8l5a.png

Damn, maybe we should’ve set a piano on fire (Goddamn, that really is Jasmine and Pryce in the audience!)

2KNPyVR.png
XftgPnB.png

I didn’t get enough screencaps, but that damn Whismur keeps scrambling the turn order, which keeps really screwing up any effort at strategizing XP

VpI1iB8.png
xabcCD8.png
NWkgOuK.png

The applause meter was always the most STRESSFUL thing for me—the ridiculous number of hearts you can get for filling it can make all the difference between winning and losing, but landing the timing is TRICKY

4A4ZgTt.png
qveaerl.png
FKGbJa6.png
CDiESnH.png
6UMkgyC.png
NowMxR6.png

At least we did well in that last round, but after what a mess the rest of the rounds were, it might not be enough…

9kkTDWU.png
bsY2o0s.png
C4UScHa.png
KpO4sSb.png
BswPq4f.png
ci4BO5H.png

You’re still the coolest ‘mon there is to me, Doctor 💚

a4t007u.png
JvCfrUh.png

Something LGBT is happening here

4BoR465.png
4Ye4bJU.png
9KOWEei.png
CpS670m.png

Would that happen to be somewhere that you could imagine how is touch the sky?

mdyFTK4.png

Oh yeah, you’re here too

q0gyWQ4.png

Yeah. Listen, I still don’t like you, I think you’re an asshole kid, but you are just a kid. I heard you were pretty torn up the last time I kicked your ass, and this creepy dude was making fun of you for it. That’s not fair of him. So, I’m gonna kick your ass one more time for Murdoc, and for old times’ sake, and after that, I will give you my pokenav number solely so that you can call me if Scott starts stalking you, alright?

gKTl34f.png
m19tSif.png
2leAENR.png

I am very envious that you have a Tropius, but Marvin’s plenty cool himself.

LIeiDk4.png
gA25suU.png
e9rM6Da.png

I can’t believe you’re never going to let me see a Blaziken in this game :( Guess I do gotta take this series to OmegaRuby, huh?

vP5vMch.png
NUtGU7S.png
OFgazCy.png

Can’t fault your choice of water-types, but I am going to exploit your weaknesses mercilessly

jdKJT5J.png
Cifhuns.png
9mANy6u.png

…never mind, you’re rubbing my nose in losing Victor, I’m gonna continue kicking your ass wheresoever I encounter you >:(

Aa7UHA1.png

Yeah, but you were doing science instead of level-grinding. Which isn’t a bad thing! Science is good! Go do that instead of annoying me

oEKTFK5.png
dHdHDHj.png

Now I’m finally free to do what I came here for…

nMqKBZi.png

SHOPPIIIIIIINNNNNGGGG
…hehehe… BALL POSTER…

Alright, since we're at that level of humour already, guess it's time to check out the last of NOM's Gen III Fun Facts...

gtIm3SB.jpg

...boy howdy, the noughties sure were a time that existed. Can't really lie, though, the Ursaring one still gives me a laugh. Poor Ursaring XD

Anyway, enough of that for now. We should probably go looking for plot again next time. Did you ever get big into the Contests in Hoenn? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
kH7s4Ee.png

I see hear the subliminal messaging. It didn't work... this time.

Honeymooners looking for rare pokémon. Scott snoozing. Brendan being a Brendan. Contests. It makes for a nice break, after all of the recent Aqua/Magma plot shenanigans. Like one of those breather episodes you get between story arcs. Technically, when the world is at stake, you shouldn't take time off for contests but, hey, you're a ten year-old kid, why wouldn't you be distracted by shiny things?

NOM reminds me, once again, of why I don't miss the noughties.

Weirdly, I don't have many memories of contests in Hoenn. They were obviously a thing, but I associate them with Sinnoh for whatever reason my brain is using to justify that. I was pretty good at most of the contest games, but I was let down by poor poffins. I could only make them alone, and you needed a few people to make the best ones, so I could only ever go so far. I liked the dress-up game best, there were very few pokémon that didn't benefit from a top hat and handlebar moustache.

Time Master Eon

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I really like Contests, I wish the series had kept them as a regular feature, or at least some other way of getting Ribbons for your Pokémon, I just like having things to do with my Pokémon other than battling

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I sure do have a cool team, huh?
You really do! It's so pleasantly Hoenn, with cool mons that you don't see too much like Minun and Torkoal.
I love the way they jump to nom a pokeblock, it’s adorable
Omg me too. I used to love making Poke Blocks and giving them to my mons. I used to pretend Star Bursts were Poke Blocks and that's how I image they would taste.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
CONTEST TIME

oh yo i didn't even notice jasmine in the audience......i don't see pryce tho (yo that's so fucking cool tho)

i am also envious of his tropius
i love tropius..........every day i wish i had a tropius in real life

nom uk what the fuck?????

also yes!!!! in my 400hr+ (there was a Rumor that if you left your game idling for 250 hours in a particular place a shiny ditto would appear) emerald file i actually managed to get some of the upper floor painting filled out with my pokemon

still super proud of didi the pichu for winning the cute ultracontest

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
sorry i lost my entire train of thought for this reply because of nom uk calling luvdisc loose

songwithnosoul

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
VU7SCPO.png
11BwDWD.png
QFn60dP.png

…and start hunting these numpties down.
Ugh. Just adds insult to the eco-fascist injury. What, are they planning on creating some kind of Pokémon ark for when they flood the world?

OaW0ZRx.png
iwVpi8p.png
1ONG9Dj.png

I’d definitely take it as a good omen if I saw dragons on my honeymoon!
Right? What a badass way to kick off a marriage!

REAeC5k.png
cVblhhy.png

…not enough of them, apparently
Ughhhhhhh

Wait, are you saying you don’t go near the Contest Hall?

QQyrXNW.png

SOUNDS LIKE THE PERFECT TIME TO CHECK IT OUT
Yay! I was excited for the prospect of contests in Emerald! Glad it's happening now!

sure do have a cool team, huh? I will not be altering their movesets to be Contest-focused, so let’s see what we can do with what we’ve got
Yeah, unless you're doing a Contest-locke then that's probably the best plan. Good luck!

I am Not Good at rhythm games, but it turns out that you can just press the speed button and let the NPCs do all the work and get some pretty serviceable pokeblocks out of it!
Nice! I'm glad that this work-around exists, even if it's seemingly emulator-specific and thus unintended.

I love the way they jump to nom a pokeblock, it’s adorable 💚
Aww. So many cute animations and details in this game!

55V8l5a.png

Damn, maybe we should’ve set a piano on fire (Goddamn, that really is Jasmine and Pryce in the audience!)
Oh, it is! Nice catch! Already foreshadowing those Johto remakes even before Gen IV came out, are we?

KpO4sSb.png
BswPq4f.png
ci4BO5H.png

You’re still the coolest ‘mon there is to me, Doctor 💚
Congrats on second place, though! Considering how off-the-cuff this was, that's a pretty good score!

Would that happen to be somewhere that you could imagine how is touch the sky?
Haha

Yeah. Listen, I still don’t like you, I think you’re an asshole kid, but you are just a kid. I heard you were pretty torn up the last time I kicked your ass, and this creepy dude was making fun of you for it. That’s not fair of him. So, I’m gonna kick your ass one more time for Murdoc, and for old times’ sake, and after that, I will give you my pokenav number solely so that you can call me if Scott starts stalking you, alright?
I like Chu's attitude here. It's very fair. She doesn't have to like him to have his back. Very responsible, community-minded crimelord!

jdKJT5J.png
Cifhuns.png
9mANy6u.png

…never mind, you’re rubbing my nose in losing Victor, I’m gonna continue kicking your ass wheresoever I encounter you >:(
...Well, losing at Pokémon battles is still a small price to pay for getting Scott off his back?

...boy howdy, the noughties sure were a time that existed. Can't really lie, though, the Ursaring one still gives me a laugh. Poor Ursaring XD
The joke's been made before but at least it's still funny! And without being gross, unlike the other stuff.

Did you ever get big into the Contests in Hoenn?
No. Not sure if I ever did any beside the ones you need to get Cosplay Pikachu in ORAS. (I also didn't win.) Definitely never made any Pokéblocks before, since I didn't even know it was a rhythm game. Contests are interesting enough to read about, but not really my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread