• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Hoenn Teen Commentary Via Memory Lane V: A Sapphire Nostalgialocke

Thread Description
A bright and sunny blast from the past. (Updates Wed-Sat. Part 8: 27/11)

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Honestly, I've payed much attention to speculation about upcoming games, though might have to due with the fact that I only really started interacting with online communities around the time X and Y were announced, or maybe I'm just not interested in it. *shrug*

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Honestly, it's been a while since I've heard wacky conspiracies about new games. Leakers kinda ruin that... Although seeing all those "Sinnoh Confirmed!" jokes around Twitter is probably the closest comparison.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
time for butterflies......

f-zero....w....well the weren't wrong!!!

i try really hard not to get into too much speculating about new games or remakes...part of me wants to go in 100000000% blind to recreate the sheer joy of not knowing what's going to happen next, and the rest of me is like NEW PROMOTIONAL CONTENT? I AM WELL FED TONIGHT, BOYS. which

ah, truly, there are two wolves inside me.

big nah on the conspiratorial theories, but it's fun to watch people spitball.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
I'm not much for speculation at times, but there are moments where I'm like HMMM I THINK THERE'S THINGS COMING, I remember how I felt in my gut Johto remakes were coming and I had this whole list and everything, and lo and behold, HGSS got announced and I was happy as a clam.

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
@songwithnosoul I cannot imagine how many Wurmple it took to get to those shinies, ooooooft XP You can never have too many pretty bugs, though!
Yeah, and if I get extra shinies then I can just Wonder Trade them away so somebody else can enjoy them!

Who knows where names come from? Almost certainly not baby name websites XP I’ve kinda drifted away from using them for character names and towards “most popular baby names in X country in Y year” censuses :v
Yeah, that's probably a better idea if you don't want something completely off the wall.

I deliberately made catching Satine the Ho-oh and Sonic the Suicune pretty tough on myself, to maintain the challenge of a nuzlocke, and then immediately regretted it… but hey, it worked out, even if neither of them were shiny!
That's true! Though it wasn't for shiny-hunting, you definitely went through the same kind of planning, and with a randomly-caught team too! Impressive!

CQ3RWkt.png
Zmf2zZo.png

God, he’s so right though. Environmental details are fun!
Oooh! Once again, glad they took advantage of the GBA's improved graphics to do little touches like that.

Oh my god, I never thought to check out these vases before and now I am SCREAMING laughing. What a polite wee RPG protagonist! Notices that they look expensive, and instead of smashing them to see if there’s loot inside, carefully peers in! God imagine this well-behaved child giving Link an angry telling-off for his wanton property destruction
LMAO. That was where my mind went, too, even though smashing other people's possessions isn't really a thing in Pokémon games like it is in Zelda ones. Just stealing anything that isn't nailed down. No need to be RUDE about it, LINK!

2ueqCQV.png
8sRyyAK.png

Are… are you literally asking me to kick your ass and take your money? Are you bragging about being able to afford private healthcare? Too good to use the socialized Pokemon Centres like the rest of us?
No, those two sentences don't have anything to do with each other. "I have a lot of money" is just the way that he greets everybody.

You actually can buy Pokemon at Game Corners. And TMs and vitamins and other things that can buff up your Pokemon. And also apparently magic hairdye that looks blond close up and brown from far away?
Hahaha

vCvDLIO.png
tbZzwbw.png

Oh, nice, good, okay! I’m cool with this! I haven’t used Shroomish much before but I know Breloom can be really good!
Nice! Variety! It's fun amongst all these mainstays to get a catch that you haven't used before! And you've also got pretty balanced team, type-wise, so that's cool!

tNTpXoG.png
kYNEtwF.png

Yoooo—oh god for the sake of the forest we definitely need to get you out of here
Hahaha.

qq73CCA.png

This was another one I had a hard time naming. Toad did not debut as a driver in Mario Kart: Double Dash, he was part of the OG Kart Krew, but I’ve been having hard flashbacks to how much I loved Double Dash and I actually think it might be my favourite Mario Kart? The dual driver thing was SO much fun, each driver having unique weapons was fun, and also it was the game that debuted Baby Park, the most wildly fucking unhinged track in all of Mario Kart. It’s just a little oval, straightforward, right? Even if it’s nine laps? You are dangerously underestimating the sheer chaos generated by Mario Kart weapons, and the fact that the theme music keeps increasing in pace for all nine laps. Baby Park on 200cc is more something you experience than something you play. It's the most unreal ninety seconds that will ever happen to you. I am so glad basically every MK game since has featured Baby Park because there is just nothing like it.
Toad is a perfect name, even if you have to stretch the rules a bit! And Baby Park... does not sound like it lives up to its name at all. The accelerating music! That alone is wild. Might have to look into that level more, even if only just gameplay footage.

LcWrweV.png
iCcJPeb.png
RlAzCeD.png
5h5BSsH.png

Back off, mate, Toad is my grumpy wee bioweapon
After seeing Shroomish's Pokédex entry, I really have to question what it is about the Pokémon that he loves so much.

0DgZ20O.png
PXoyEHP.png

Sir im 10
And so it begins. Again.

pjYYp9v.png
uzGiIuJ.png

Then this happened, like, a lot
F

R1Fmelo.png

But we got there eventually, and Nemo is ready to fucking ruin Roxanne’s day!
Gotta love those early-game rock-type Gyms |D

3jufywe.png

You kinda have to love how unabashedly silly they went with the Magma and Aqua grunt designs. Like, this guy is straight up just dressing up and playing pirate. It’s so goofy, I love it
Yeah, they had so much fun with the teams and the team plot this gen! Lots of cool ideas, and without worrying about being super-serious about it. And honestly, considering how some of the grunts in later gens are dressed, pirates and horned onesies are downright fashionable too.

s3ypL2v.png
tnacPVi.png

Thanks for telling me about your crimes before you do them! I will inform a police officer as soon as I see one
I understand your other advice about how this guy could be a better criminal/stone-cold killer, but consider that this guy's probably lived in Hoenn for more than a week and has a realistic idea of how competent the police are. (It's gonna make Chu nostalgic for Johto!)

GCoZxsa.png

You sure I need a knife for this? Don’t I have a Pokemon with spores that can wilt trees?
Okay, but consider that a knife is far easier to aim and you can't accidentally Cut down the trees around the one you're aiming at and also yourself if the wind blows the wrong way at the wrong time.

SviA613.png
bVvbjtU.png

How very polite! Do you use the same hair dye as the Rich Boy on the other side of the forest?
Hahaha. I guess that does prove that it's expensive!

nea4TgY.png
uRK1vWV.png

And after that fight, Jules evolves, so now we know she’s gonna be a Beautifly! Nice! Sorry, moth fans, but I like both Wurmple evos so I'm happy with this!
I think I've seen fewer Beautifly than Dustox in nuzlockes, so I'm curious to see how she measures up! Especially considering you've got quite the knack for bringing out the best in early-game bugs.

cNTkYPW.png
lQs4AtJ.png
kadtfgs.png
iTAzmS4.png

Oh! I do know you! You’re a Three Magikarps Guy! Perfect, my mushroom needs to practise with his gun!
I love how every region has an All Magikarps Guy. It's such a funny Easter egg, and a bit of a break for the player. (Or target practice, as the case may be.) The self-aware dialogue is a great touch as well, so I'm very glad you highlighted it!

Before we go, we all love theorizing about future Pokemon games and what we'd like to see, and that's been going on since as soon as it appeared there was a pattern forming. And while F-Zero isn't the first place I'd look for clues...

s7SN5LS.jpg

...well, maybe it's worth a look.
That is totally wild. I mean, they're all owned by Nintendo, I guess.... Still, it's bizarre that they managed to predict that one correctly. Great find, thank you!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura Let’s see how far I can get my Earlygame Baby Squad without losing any…

@FPFP66 I mean, the gf in question only sailed around the coastal UK, she never worked any international ships, but that is very much a job that still exists in 2021, as we all learned from the whole Suez Canal thing :v
I haven’t used Breloom much before, but I REALLY should have… prior to this series, I rarely used grass-types in general, but the ruleset is really forcing me to get to grips with them :P
I straight up didn’t know that Johto leaders show up in the Contest crowds? I’ll have to keep an eye out for that… and hey, you were right about remakes coming!

@Time Master Eon honestly, so much speculation these days is so stressful, not enough people are having fun with it anymore, you’re probably better off well out of it XP

@Kit_The_Feef to be fair, “snow exists—Sinnoh confirmed!” and the like is a fun meme, and one way I cope with news coverage of America’s Latest Bullshit is occasionally murmur “Unova confirmed” to myself :v

@bhelryss The thing is, nuzlocke brainrot has sunk into my head so hard that there are, like, certain things in a game that I want to go into blind, like new Pokemon, but there’s also stuff I really wanna know so I can start planning a ruleset, like new mechanics. And of course I’m writing story and character concepts from the first trailer XD

@Nebbles god, HGSS was SO good… if only they put that much love and joy into all of them Q_Q

@songwithnosoul I think it made me laugh so much because smashing vases isn’t, like, exclusively a Legend of Zelda thing (or even exclusively an RPG thing), it’s a really common thing in games… and then you’ve got your polite wee Pokemon-training bean just peeking inside instead :v
To be fair, “I have a lot of money” is probably how Elon Musk greets people too :v
I HAVE to share you this Polygon video trying out Baby Park at 200cc in Mario Kart 8, and then this video of a twitch streamer playing the track on what looks like the 3DS version with a mod that puts 24 players on the track. It’s incredible.
Chu is destined to be eternally 10 and yet more competent and less cowardly than all of the adults around her. Such is her fate.
The last time I nuzlocked Emerald, I had William the Dustox, so it feels fitting that this time I get Jules the Beautifly! Hopefully I can take her further than poor William…
The F-Zero catch was wild enough when Emerald was actually announced not long after that issue, but finding it again now, knowing that Gen IV was coming? INCREDIBLE

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time, we filled out the team and fought a pirate! This time…

F0S0uRD.png
wz89zmn.png
bB3eUF1.png
R7ZlSkx.png
Cz0VFCn.png
MR78aN0.png

vhTcrKc.png
n26CD7v.png

I mean, if we’re talking about intelligence and self-identity on the level of a puppy or kitten, who do not know what is An Gender and have no need for such things, I can think of one easy way to tell the difference between Pokemon sexes

AoxY5oo.png

Oh, he did, did he…?

hOotyCc.png
OtQauZK.png
Z7rUTXW.png
LRqF7VS.png
oGYESa4.png
irHugUW.png
Z6cPfQ8.png
J9NtVjd.png

Oooh, our Really Big Knife! Thanks mate!

xnF7y63.png
nIiKeGy.png

I’m sure giving a knife to a raccoon can only end well

dCvV9Pi.png
38qU5Op.png

They do? Wait, does Devon own the building? Is this a company town?

xeooH1N.png
gxH01SE.png
eKXOO0t.png
IEuZZKe.png

I think it is! Kids are being raised to take up their family debt to the company!

eq5kiCS.png

And now they own the city, huh?

3gKybVH.png
Iir7lFo.png

The age-old question: did he start collecting stones because his name is Stone, or did he change his name to Stone because he’s a NERD?

gWs9s3W.png
7sXX2Cs.png
TOwxmoS.png
EoJUmmN.png
56qNWNk.png
3jB34BX.png

I’ll give him this, I’ve never met anybody else with a Pikachu named Pekachu, leave him alone

zB7CVDm.png
Eit1C79.png

Only if they give Master Balls at graduation

W1CgPqs.png
5EvkM8q.png
p5OWuxj.png

During class? Well, it might count as studying, if the teacher’s okay with it—

wnkjwA0.png

…okay caning is bad enough but clawing students?! They think they can get away with anything in a company town, huh?!

vvarJOi.png
tVaXa2a.png
5Pk5jkB.png
DoRqshW.png

Siobhan’s a surprisingly slow pupper, so she can make good use of this, but I’m still having a fuckin word with your boss

VZPbg4L.png
w7f8ZgS.png
IuphAaF.png

They do when they’re a Combusken with Double Kick! Or tbh anything with a decently powerful fire move because there’s no physical/special split yet and most rock-types have tissue paper for special defense

W9r3xHV.png
ZGULXRv.png
BtDI23N.png
bNl3YIO.png

Just use my granny’s strategy; make a BIG load of stovies one day, and then eat leftovers the rest of the week, except for Takeaway Day :P The woman learned to cook during WWII, that’s how they be. Unless your problem is that you’re struggling to stretch your food? How are the shops around here? Can I shop at the Poke Mart or do they only take Devon scrip? If there’s any Esau scrip around here, I swear to god I will burn this city to the fucking ground

cvknj1e.png
j1jJOqR.png
IvQT29I.png

Ah, here’s the seat of power. Time to have a fuckin word about unions around here

dty5MOr.png
uSMzZvw.png

You make shoes as well as pokenavs and all the stuff in pokemarts? How many markets have your tentacles seeped into?

ycwPB9c.png
O7yUhRs.png
8XAFjV3.png

I’m here from the IWW, sir, we have concerns about how you’re running this town

ez9Pl3G.png
Tuz3mfo.png

Well, that didn’t work. Gonna have to try to rustle up some local support. Convenience is one thing, sir, but when they’re your only source of products, be aware that sooner or later, they will exploit you

ylzydeN.png

Not a bad trade offer, Slakoth aren’t too difficult to find in Petalburg Forest, and while you can get Makuhita not long after this in Dewford, it can be nifty to get one before Roxanne’s gym if your team comp is bad for it. But Nemo has a super soaker and Toad has a gun so I think we’re gonna be okay.

cO86DQm.png
n9snT7Y.png
5LsgqKr.png

Time to check out whit’s gaun oan doon here… wait, he’s only got a Zigzagoon and a Machop! Joey, you traitor, abandoning all that made you great!

9ZbscTB.png

Seven-year-old boys do be like this tho

P8IE2Aq.png

Tiff I love you dearly

YIdq35Q.png
Do7Cckw.png

So you’re… doing an Arcanine impression about it?

yg2GufB.png
OFOf7pf.png
bpwzFiR.png
bup9Csn.png

Aw, bugger, I’ve done things out of order, gotta go hit the gym first

qqetBt1.png
lEwRBkP.png
YG3xcYG.png

That wee trek gave us the training we needed to evolve Jules, though! She’s a bit too fragile for me to want to use her against Roxanne, but if Nemo and Toad wind up in dire straits, I might have to

VUpLFmG.png
dxlJX8N.png
qSAXj5M.png

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd

nNFKwsQ.png
oysmC7z.png

Sure thing, hen! Just remember that you asked for it!

y48wik8.png
MmtHPSz.png
Zx93TUx.png
4wy93nN.png
JmPUYD6.png
ic0KGch.png

Toad needed a wee recharge after sweeping the gym trainers, and now he’s juiced up for the Nosepass!

QD50udf.png
ynsu9nU.png
06y09lP.png
8MIMPyT.png

…Though he won’t be directly fighting the Nosepass yet. Set up…

okCojIV.png
cMd5nKa.png
BUxReMo.png
aHx68H8.png

And then let Nemo tag in to DESTROY!

Ipk6IPs.png
RSHAF7Q.png
FcOCiN3.png
WFI0Ppw.png
Tn4VIDk.png
NN4oBwP.png
gRBPwrP.png
jXwQYkc.png
814XJNo.png
coXl1mq.png

…okay, I’ve had some rough times fighting that thing in the past, but now I just feel really bad for the poor bastard. She didn’t get a single attack off!

XnDYDUf.png
UJ3Nars.png
DK79qIP.png
RamQiU2.png
q8U8BLw.png
k1710rp.png

One of these days I’ll write a cute story where these are basically Girl Guide badges and a Brownie troop spends a summer traveling around camping and getting their badges and nobody dies. One day.

But that day is not today! Until next time, check out this little reminder of just how big Ruby and Sapphire were at the time: the first two months after they came out, they were the top-selling Nintendo games in the UK!

RrNJ4aI.jpg

7AdwaZb.jpg
T5nRACl.jpg

7rlZJTp.jpg

...to be fair, looking at those rankings, there was... not a lot of competition at the time :v But good job to Ruby and Sapphire anyway! Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I straight up didn’t know that Johto leaders show up in the Contest crowds? I’ll have to keep an eye out for that
Really Big Knife!
Wait, does Devon own the building? Is this a company town?
I always interpreted it as people that work at the same job all choosing to live in the same neighborhood, but this is an interesting counterpoint. Would something like this be common in Japan, to your knowledge?
Or tbh anything with a decently powerful fire move because there’s no physical/special split yet and most rock-types have tissue paper for special defense
It’s why I never really understood the horror stories about facing Geodude and Onix in RB with a Charmander. The only way you can really lose is Bide .. but if you play your cards right, you’ll be fine. Plus there’s the burn chance.

Of course, then we got Metal Claw Charmander and Rock Tomb-owning Rock types in Brock’s FRLG battle, so…

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
nice sweep against roxanne!! i recently fought her in my newest ruby nuzlocke at about the same level and left that gym in a daze. she nearly took me out at the knees sdkjf

god is a nosepass or whatever

EDIT: how did i forget to mention the company town shit? never noticed that as a kid. i just kind of figured it was normal for a town to have a building or neighborhood meant specifically for workers?

i grew up in a town that actually had somethin like half of the residential areas (originally) made by the company for workers of the company. built back in the 50s. over time the neighborhoods diversified and some got paved over to make room for stores, but like.

yeah....seemed normal at the time! kinda fucked up now though...

Last edited:

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
oh my god rustboro is a company town holy shit. i guess we just never noticed as kids because we didn't know what they were, and then never as we got older because we uh. stopped caring about talking to Every NPC in the game (if we ever did at all). Man.

but anyways, congrats to Jules on the evolution, and to Toad and Nemo for taking down Roxanne! yall are now 1/8th of the way to the e4! hell yea!

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Devon Corp. are rich, of course they own Rustboro. Also, RS being popular on release isn't exactly surprising, but I always thought they never sold as well as the Johto games?

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
Oh my god, the dated language used in that review of R/S, and it being in the top 10 with the Link to the Past port to GBA.... gods, I've aged.

songwithnosoul

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
First, I have a slight update to the whole "Siobhan" pronunciation thing; I was watching a stream with American streamers the other day and they encountered a character with that name. One streamer pronounced it something like "Sho-ban". Not sure if that's a Real American Pronunciation or if it was just an attempt at a phonetic reading of a name he'd never seen before (since he was reading pretty fast and probably misread a letter or two, and since that's pretty close to how I want to phonetically read the name). But yeah. It's an Actual American saying it, at least.

I HAVE to share you this Polygon video trying out Baby Park at 200cc in Mario Kart 8, and then this video of a twitch streamer playing the track on what looks like the 3DS version with a mod that puts 24 players on the track. It’s incredible.
Wow, that's really something! The only Mario Kart level to give me motion sickness! I'm guessing that Nintendo meant for it to be simple and easy with the short track length and inability to fall off of anything, but instead they just packed all of the chaos of a regular Mario Kart race into *checks notes* eight seconds a lap. Then again, given the speeding-up music, maybe the chaos was on purpose. I can imagine it'd be really hard to keep track of anything when actually playing it!

The last time I nuzlocked Emerald, I had William the Dustox, so it feels fitting that this time I get Jules the Beautifly! Hopefully I can take her further than poor William…
Oh, right. I hope she lasts longer than Key's Beautifly, as well!

The F-Zero catch was wild enough when Emerald was actually announced not long after that issue, but finding it again now, knowing that Gen IV was coming? INCREDIBLE
Yeah, they really nailed it to an improbable degree! Good for them!

Oooh, our Really Big Knife! Thanks mate!
Once again, I love this reimagining of Cut. You've gone and made it cool again!

xnF7y63.png
nIiKeGy.png

I’m sure giving a knife to a raccoon can only end well
Are you kidding? Knife-raccoon is an absolutely great combination! Downright destined! All of the League will fall to Knife Raccoon, from stabs to the ankles!

dCvV9Pi.png
38qU5Op.png

They do? Wait, does Devon own the building? Is this a company town?
Oh dear. It's time once again to Discover the Dark Implications of Pokémon!

IEuZZKe.png

I think it is! Kids are being raised to take up their family debt to the company!
Even kids know it's the only game in town.

3gKybVH.png
Iir7lFo.png

The age-old question: did he start collecting stones because his name is Stone, or did he change his name to Stone because he’s a NERD?
I mean, given Steven's personality, I'm going with Option B.

I’ll give him this, I’ve never met anybody else with a Pikachu named Pekachu, leave him alone
You know what, that's a good point. It's original to not fear unoriginality!

DoRqshW.png

Siobhan’s a surprisingly slow pupper, so she can make good use of this, but I’m still having a fuckin word with your boss
Hey, on the plus side, if she gave it to you then she's not using it on the students?

If there’s any Esau scrip around here, I swear to god I will burn this city to the fucking ground
Huh, I just googled what that is and, what do you know, I also feel like burning something!

cO86DQm.png
n9snT7Y.png
5LsgqKr.png

Time to check out whit’s gaun oan doon here… wait, he’s only got a Zigzagoon and a Machop! Joey, you traitor, abandoning all that made you great!
Oh, so are you proposing that Joey, like Chu, moved from Johto to Hoenn between games? Huh. Maybe a lot of people did. Something about all the Rockets and the vampires and Them spooked 'em, I guess. But if they're looking for a safer life here, then I've got some bad news...

P8IE2Aq.png

Tiff I love you dearly
Ahhhh... Gotta love the classics.

qqetBt1.png
lEwRBkP.png
YG3xcYG.png

That wee trek gave us the training we needed to evolve Jules, though! She’s a bit too fragile for me to want to use her against Roxanne, but if Nemo and Toad wind up in dire straits, I might have to
Oh yeah, I guess the "no grinding" rule would even the odds between your team and Roxanne's somewhat... I'm still sure you won't have trouble, though!

VUpLFmG.png
dxlJX8N.png
qSAXj5M.png

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd
It is fun to see how they characterized the Gen III Gym Leaders, now that they'd already had a Gym for every existing type and had covered some of the obvious stereotypes. I like the contrast between Roxanne being a teacher and the brute but vulnerable power that rock-types are usually known for. And she certainly does teach new players about exploiting type advantages! :P

8MIMPyT.png

…Though he won’t be directly fighting the Nosepass yet. Set up…
Oh yeah, good thinking. Nosepass is tougher than any of Brock's team just by virtue of not also being a ground-type with a double-weakness! Proceeding with a bit of caution is wise.

okCojIV.png
cMd5nKa.png
BUxReMo.png
aHx68H8.png

And then let Nemo tag in to DESTROY!
Helllllll yeah!

coXl1mq.png

…okay, I’ve had some rough times fighting that thing in the past, but now I just feel really bad for the poor bastard. She didn’t get a single attack off!
Damn. That was a brutal defeat even for a rock-type Gym Leader! At least your tactic worked.

One of these days I’ll write a cute story where these are basically Girl Guide badges and a Brownie troop spends a summer traveling around camping and getting their badges and nobody dies. One day.
Oh man, I love that premise.

Also, that has nothing to do with anything, but I love the name of your NaNoWriMon Dialga! And I assume you picked this 'mon because you're Captain of Team Dialga, right? You're making great progress (as usual)!

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Hm, I don't have much to say about Roxxane, she's the first brock-alike but I really don't think she's all that interesting.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
@FPFP66 I mean, it’s pretty common in most places for folk to try and live close to where their job is, but the company actually building and owning the homes that its employees can buy or rent is company town shit. Amazon’s trying to do it just now—actually, I think is doing it in certain countries. Sooner or later (usually sooner), that kind of thing aaaalways gets exploitative. I don’t believe it’s common for companies to own the apartment blocks near their offices in Japan, but who knows what all those investment groups own? XP
Brock’s Onix actually having Rock Tomb in FRLG always takes me by surprise… I probably shouldn’t replay Gen I so much XP

@bhelryss god I was SO prepared to have an awful time with that Nosepass and then… didn’t??? I got SO lucky with Stun Spore, it really took that thing out for me!
Like, it’s pretty common for people to live near where they work, and maybe if where they work is a pretty big or dominating industry, a lot of their neighbours will work there too, but if a company owns a lot of the homes near their premises, then you’ve got a wide-open door to exploitationville. Especially if they require workers to live in company-owned homes, or at least incentivize it. (Amazon I am WATCHING you)
Unions are responsible for a lot of company towns no longer being company towns and homes passing into the ownership of the people who live in them! Support your local union, kids, and if there isn’t one, give your local raccoons knives and set them loose in an Amazon corporate office

@Anya Homura I mean, as kids you don’t know shit about how companies or houses or any grown-up shit works, you just think “awww, isn’t it nice that they built all these nice houses for people? :)” Luckily I am still obsessive for lore and want to know All Of The Things XD

@Kit_The_Feef I don’t have the numbers in front of me so I don’t know how Ruby/Sapphire did compared to Gen II, but going by the old magazines, they were doing pretty damn good compared to everything else on the market at the time!

@Nebbles nothing ages you faster than video games, I swear to god XP

@songwithnosoul Mario Kart is one of those racing games that doesn’t really look that fast when you’re watching it, but when you’re playing it, hooboy. I love it XD
Giving really big knives to raccoons is the best way to solve any problem! Such as corporate ownership of living space and exploitation of the workers!
I don’t know if Youngster Joey physically travels regions, or is a wandering entity like Chu and Max, but either way, has betrayed the top percentage
I don’t actually have a “no grinding” rule in this run, there just isn’t any good grinding before Roxanne and between Toad and Nemo, I didn’t figure I needed much :P
Roxanne does stand out amongst Rock users as being a prim teacher rather than a big buff mining dude or some shit, which is pretty fun XD Shame she’s… rather unmemorable otherwise :v
I got SO lucky with that paralysis, it’s unbelievable XD I was so ready to get my ass kicked by that Nosepass and instead breezed on through!
Team Dialga is doing big numbers for Nano this year, I’m proud of ‘em! A benefit of being able to manipulate time ;)

@Time Master Eon it’s really unfortunate that Roxanne is noticebly different from the other Rock leaders, being a teacher instead of a miner or some such, but she’s generally pretty unmemorable, possibly because she doesn’t appear outside of the gym much and I don’t think had a major anime presence?

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time we got our first badge from Roxanne! This time…

F0S0uRD.png
zawqQBg.png
bB3eUF1.png
R7ZlSkx.png
Cz0VFCn.png
MR78aN0.png

BL1Ufes.jpg

1BzZbNe.png
a6cxT9q.png

Pirates ahoy!

6fVmHyv.png
JqfG7uD.png
GXFfS9M.png

Shouldn’t’ve been flashing the goods, my man, always get payment first

UfCvEZW.png
b9SPQhL.png

I’m sure that situation can wait a wee moment

kQAo7dD.png
TAo7jSM.png
V7GMCUr.png
wNSKXSo.png
ooIGdvl.png

I know you can’t exactly call the police for help getting your stolen stuff back, what with there being none, but is asking random passing children for help really the next logical course of action?

W3XY8cO.png
mxJ8ri6.png
GWyWTs7.png
R7sDUnc.png

Never fear, Detective Chu is on the case now, apparently!

ueaU7sL.png
XDvxc3p.png
s4ztLup.png

Careful what you wish for!

JCLkrlW.png

Oh, wait a wee moment, got a screaming marshmallow in the way

nnWQRId.png

Some free stuff from Tiff…

YZgTCoQ.png

Okay, NOW I’m coming! Keelhaul it all? Really going all-in on the pirate thing, huh?

eO1ur7F.png
sAynhHZ.png
zxe5itF.png

Sure, why not, while we’re here

QjJGL8W.png

This motherfucker’s Poochyena gets Intimidate and Siobhan doesn’t? Siobhan, honey, not that I don’t love you, you’re a very good pupper, but that’s some bullshit

nnL7vFC.png
3ftlCFH.png
NdL3L6a.png
aS6bgX9.png
yOkJW5T.png
GKpuRxf.png

Aaaand that’s that! For a pirate, your pup isn’t very seaworthy, huh

VV3SiIM.png

Could be worse, mate. Back in the day, a career in piracy could come to a much deader end

C3uigkj.png
tpbz177.png
vpAgopd.png

Hur-hur, package

pnWjmh2.png
C5BDFw9.png
qBFKIu4.png

I guess we’re just letting him go, huh? Guess we truly respect the last old-fashioned pirates. Bye!

rEYJc2G.png
JoQfpYm.png
ow9NzDe.png

I mean, I don’t think he was gonna kill her, just keep cosplaying pirate with her, you know? :v

Z473aVE.png
6PQXW0V.png
E3no2wy.png
vnEf4XU.png
QHRYr0K.png
7O4GmZZ.png
H3tMwmG.png

Aren’t you the guy they called a legendary sailor who never feared the sea, no matter how stormy? How are you not scared of the sea but you were scared to chase after the world’s shittiest pirate?

eKlQzYn.png
W5OI6xl.png
9cveuLL.png

Yo, giant roaring man with a shovel and a pickaxe, why didn’t you fight the pirate? You don’t even need to have Pokemon if you have a pickaxe, just saying

otM1yOj.png
3P3KX69.png
OrMqeB5.png
UXlXidA.png

Ta for the roadmap of what to expect from the first half of the game!

HKQ8TGw.png
fOgH6AL.png
T9uePI8.png
tfnoU7J.png
TwfZOAd.png
7gcT2yJ.png

Hey, I respect that you stopped when you realized you were fucking with the local wild Pokemon! I can see Whismur not being huge fans of super loud machinery invading their space!

d4byzLB.png
wXQOnJG.png
HoNNIJ4.png
HoNNIJ4.png
eLWhTae.png

I also greatly respect your Japanese John Henry for getting shit done in an environmentally friendly way! Hoenn's not gonna let you forget that it's got Themes for three minutes together

d7FV1ON.png
qoAsrG2.png

And now that my raccoon is legally certified to use her really big knife, let’s see what’s going on up here!

2MXkRAg.png
dR3ndrg.png
Yb707UB.png

Okay but… nobody lives out here. Everybody lives in the company town where the Trainers’ School is. How did you get out here on your way home from school?

4NBLJRc.png

Okay, wee girls looking up to Roxanne is really cute

aKHTL6d.png
hw3YDbE.png
1I6Afn2.png

I mean, yeah, but believe me when I say I truly didn’t need to be to beat that guy

pkpruOd.png
TxvoBO0.png
qMPE1K1.png
uu0rvft.png

Wh—did we just fucking teleport?! Why can so many people in Hoenn do that?! Why did you never use that to get away from that shitty pirate?!

8KKkygH.png
8YH1brl.png
gSNc1P2.png
tnPrJe6.png
6ngWEfY.png
cVZkBhs.png

Oh, so now I’m your courier service as well as your private detective, huh? I accept payment in Charmanders or, given the location, Torchics, and I do not extend a line of credit

XELSA1z.png
m4Bmmej.png
VlGO1bT.png
pkB2wJY.png

That is a BIG fuckin table, but there aren’t chairs around it, just a couple of sofas, so it’s not, like, a boardroom table or anything, this man just has a fucking massive table between his desk and any chairs for visitors because… is he just showing off how rich he is? Or does he always make people stand to talk to him?

eFnHKWl.png
2Kb5hRN.png

Still, I got my true objective—face-to-face with the owner of this town. Sir, I would like to talk to you about the lack of unionization in this area and your monopolizing business practices—

mK4wMzm.png
kVeGkou.png
8H30r8Q.png

You don’t even pay me for my work and then keep asking “favours”, hmmmm? Just how many “favours” do your staff have to do to actually get the pay they’ve already earned, may I ask?

NyLDDui.png
SySdXN8.png
pbNa1JO.png
j5Kzdat.png

I am not your fucking mail service unless you’re willing to pay me in Cyndaquils! Give ownership of the company to the people who actually do the work that generates your profits and stop press-ganging children into running your errands! God, at least Elm was doing this shit for science!

MFHND8F.png
c4oOjdM.png

At this point I don’t know that I’d settle for less than a damn Charizard, and even then I’m not gonna stop handing out IWW literature to your workers

CiPoVnn.png
EC9JrXa.png

…It’s not a Pokegear, the obviously superior device, and it sure as shit can’t learn Flamethrower. I’m selling your mail to those pirates.

22dmWNx.png
JMW7sbp.png
Ccw2ih4.png
OAW1rpk.png
MBtyJp5.png

So does the Pokegear, which also has a radio! You are not offering a very competitive device, my man! But then again, where are people going to buy alternatives when you own all the shops, hmmmmmmm?

3gukEHZ.png

Are any of these evolutionary stones? I’m helping myself to some proper payment.

qePyg5h.png
gUcurT6.png
rDs4Vra.png
o39QHk0.png
o39QHk0.png

I will not be doing that. May I ask what your working hours are, sir? Are you ever pressured into doing unpaid overtime, coming into work on your days off, or answering work emails outside of work hours?

6pQf0R1.png
okNl4ap.png

Nevertheless, sir, you are clearly a skilled worker who is producing value for the company and are entitled to the profits of your labour

8QJ7nNF.png
HEoVUhK.png
VjnlUrU.png

Talking to Pokemon might still be far away, but you can talk to your coworkers right now to ensure that you’re all receiving fair and equal wages for your work!

pbkBj2W.png
Jp9RBB9.png
QCmyMfG.png

I hear there’s a lassie in Unova could help you with that. Don’t let corporate secrecy prevent international scientific co-operation!

x6u3ILb.png
FQdaqKa.png

Nice! Good work! Don’t let Devon privatize necromancy! It’s the right of every free citizen to raise the dead!

aaWFWrP.png

Alright, that’s enough of that, you all get the picture :P

Next time, we’re hitting the waves! Until then, speaking of funky tech...

gbRmd4j.jpg

I don't know what NOM UK's problem was, I saw this picture and immediately remembered how much I really wanted one of these things back in the day... but you couldn't get them in the UK, so instead I got a book of graph paper and did sprite art with coloured pens :P I know there are a fair few artists on the forums, and a couple of folk have mentioned drawing their favourite Pokemon as a kid; how about you? Didyou do much Pokemon art as a kid? Do you still do any now? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
Remember, gang: unionizing works.

I do think it's interesting that, despite all the environmentalist messaging, we're still not at the point where companies specifically can be shown to do wrong in regards to not just that, but also smaller things. The Lore for the Old Ship/Sea Mauville does point blame at a company... but it's not Devon, and it doesn't even exist until the remakes.

You'd think that maybe Devon would factor into the plans of the two teams, maybe as part of the cause of the leaders' worldviews... but nope! nah! they're just here, completely blameless for anything! ever!!!

but, then again, these games were made in a slightly different time, for a years-younger audience than us talking about it right now. it's good to be aware of this shit so that we can notice it in more current works, but i really don't think there was this much thought going into it on the design level. they just needed a way for you to meet the region's champion, and tying it into the researcher you're using the introduce the evil team of the game makes some amount of sense.

...doesn't mean we can't spread anti-capitalist propaganda, though.

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Well, as one of the artists on these forums, I actually draw a Pokemon every single day because I wanted my art to improve! And it's actually been working! I have a thread here if you wanted to see just how much I've improved. Plus I have two Nuzlocke comics. My Renegade Platinum nuzlocke has hundreds of PMD style portraits for all my catches. I drew my PFP and all my banners, too. As a kid, I often drew Pokemon but I didn't become any good at it until I started taking my art more seriously this year. Though I think my brother painted an Azumarill and a Chandelure for me on some ply wood, and I think it's still around somewhere.

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
Oh, of course did I do Pokemon art as a kid. Of course, most of it's gone by now, considering I was a wee lass when I drew it. I'm certain my mom still kept some pictures and all, buuuuut.... not sure if I'd ever show it off. Or heck, maybe I will one day. Kid art is fun to look at.

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
Wait, why did he think taking Peeko hostage would stop you? He never directly threatened to hurt Peeko and the game proves your Pokémon can fight him just fine without harming her. Did he think the very thought that he might would be enough that nobody would chase after him.

songwithnosoul

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
I don’t actually have a “no grinding” rule in this run, there just isn’t any good grinding before Roxanne and between Toad and Nemo, I didn’t figure I needed much :P
Oh duh, that's right. That's only a Johto rule. After the two Johto runs I just forgot! :P My bad!

Roxanne does stand out amongst Rock users as being a prim teacher rather than a big buff mining dude or some shit, which is pretty fun XD Shame she’s… rather unmemorable otherwise :v
Yeah, that regrettably is true. The prior comment is probably the most thought I've ever put into her. Never even seen a nuzlocke that put particular focus on her, come to think of it.

Team Dialga is doing big numbers for Nano this year, I’m proud of ‘em! A benefit of being able to manipulate time ;)
Nice! Go team!

6fVmHyv.png
JqfG7uD.png
GXFfS9M.png

Shouldn’t’ve been flashing the goods, my man, always get payment first
It's nice to see somebody make a different joke about this guy's goods to the one that they usually make.

UfCvEZW.png
b9SPQhL.png

I’m sure that situation can wait a wee moment
haha

I know you can’t exactly call the police for help getting your stolen stuff back, what with there being none, but is asking random passing children for help really the next logical course of action?
Corporations really should make sure that people entrusted with expensive or important stuff are competent Trainers in their own right, or at least hire a security detail or something.

JCLkrlW.png

Oh, wait a wee moment, got a screaming marshmallow in the way
Ah, another lovely description |D

YZgTCoQ.png

Okay, NOW I’m coming! Keelhaul it all? Really going all-in on the pirate thing, huh?
That does sound like something a pirate cosplayer would say!

eO1ur7F.png
sAynhHZ.png
zxe5itF.png

Sure, why not, while we’re here
haha

Aaaand that’s that! For a pirate, your pup isn’t very seaworthy, huh
Haha

pnWjmh2.png
C5BDFw9.png
qBFKIu4.png

I guess we’re just letting him go, huh? Guess we truly respect the last old-fashioned pirates. Bye!
I mean, it's not like you're getting paid enough to arrest him... or at all... as you've pointed out several times before. Why not half-ass the job if you're going to do it at all?

I mean, I don’t think he was gonna kill her, just keep cosplaying pirate with her, you know? :v
lmao. That's cute. Chatot wasn't invented yet, so why not a Wingull as a substitute shoulder parrot?

I also greatly respect your Japanese John Henry for getting shit done in an environmentally friendly way! Hoenn's not gonna let you forget that it's got Themes for three minutes together
And I respect it for that!

And now that my raccoon is legally certified to use her really big knife, let’s see what’s going on up here!
"legally certified" I love how you put things!

4NBLJRc.png

Okay, wee girls looking up to Roxanne is really cute
Aww.

qMPE1K1.png
uu0rvft.png

Wh—did we just fucking teleport?! Why can so many people in Hoenn do that?! Why did you never use that to get away from that shitty pirate?!
Perhaps his powers can only activate within Devon's oppressive aura?

Oh, so now I’m your courier service as well as your private detective, huh? I accept payment in Charmanders or, given the location, Torchics, and I do not extend a line of credit
Man, wouldn't it be great if you could actually enforce this, in-game?

mK4wMzm.png
kVeGkou.png
8H30r8Q.png

You don’t even pay me for my work and then keep asking “favours”, hmmmm? Just how many “favours” do your staff have to do to actually get the pay they’ve already earned, may I ask?
I like how Team Aqua and Team Magma have been pushed aside as lesser villains compared to Team Devon.

3gukEHZ.png

Are any of these evolutionary stones? I’m helping myself to some proper payment.
hah

Nice! Good work! Don’t let Devon privatize necromancy! It’s the right of every free citizen to raise the dead!
Again, the way you frame things... Truly wonderful.

Even if she gets the workers to unionize?

I know there are a fair few artists on the forums, and a couple of folk have mentioned drawing their favourite Pokemon as a kid; how about you? Didyou do much Pokemon art as a kid? Do you still do any now? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!
I'm sure I did, but I don't really remember much about it. As a kid, drawing was mostly a casual "whenever the mood strikes me" sort of deal rather than something I regularly practiced. If I went back through old school papers or stuff from that era I'd probably see a lot of Pikachu doodled idly in the margins. And dogs. And I still do draw Pokémon sometimes now, as you know, usually for a specific occasion such as fanart or for a collab. I've participated in a handful of Krisantyne's art collabs over on DeviantArt and the Ledian in my forums avatar came from one of those. I liked how the expression came out. And maybe soon, once I'm done with Writer's Locke stuff, I'll finally get around to drawing a certain cursèd Snorlax...

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
@Anya Homura The Pokemon Company isn’t gonna share much anti-capitalist propaganda to Japanese kids, but we can go as red as we like while playing! :P

@Kit_The_Feef honestly, that’s such a cool drawing challenge and such a great way to develop your style! That’s super cool, and a hella cool present from your brother!

@Nebbles I think everybody has a phase of finding stuff they did or made as a kid super cringy, and then you get a bit older and go “d’awww, look at that cute lil kid” @ your own baby self :P

@Time Master Eon The guy says the hostage Pokemon is “worthless”, so I guess after he’s nabbed her he takes a look at the grotty elderly Wingull he’s grabbed and gone “aw fuck, nobody would care about this thing” and gives up XD

@songwithnosoul Can you believe the amount of danger Devon exposes their employees to just because they’re too stingy to hire security teams? Shocking
Honestly, if they’re not gonna pay me, I might as well let the pirates get away, I am sure this will in no way echo Peter letting the thief get away in Sam Raimi’s classic Spider-Man (2002) or have any consequences for me whatsoever
I’m now imagining some, like, cyberpunk dystopia situation where Devon installs teleportation devices in their employees, but they can’t actually use the devices to commute to work because they’re only activated during time on-site to get around quicker, and Lanette is the hacker who starts cracking Devon tech so people can use it without all of their data being harvested by Stone Sr and his son who is entirely coincidentally the Champion…
Ecoterrorists are a range, from water protectors and rainforest guardians (valid, important, the real heroes here) and ecofascists (try doing something useful instead of blaming poor people for the disasters they’re dying in and did not create), but capitalism and big corporations are ALWAYS sus as fuck
It seems that, in Stone Sr’s joy at getting to use Chu for unpaid labour, he hasn’t noticed all the red she’s wearing
Your Ledian avatar is super cute, I love their wee face :D Thank you again for all the work you’re putting in for the podcast, you must be getting pretty swole from carrying this season! No rush, but I do live in anticipation and fear of seeing that Snorlax made visible...

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time, we fought a pirate and laid the groundwork for some clearly much-needed revolution in Rustboro City. This time…

F0S0uRD.png
zawqQBg.png
bB3eUF1.png
R7ZlSkx.png
Cz0VFCn.png
MR78aN0.png

BL1Ufes.jpg

xtLML62.png
CtL6kGB.png
CJzk0LT.png
ivtl9rC.png

I’ll be honest, dude, that… kinda seems like something that would wreak havoc on the local ecosystem? Some of us are practicing controlled catching...
Well, whatever, he’s not here for a battle or to give you anything, or really for any reason at all, and I’m sorry man but there’s really very little reason for you to exist in general

BJW2K7T.png
mS1tyWs.png
5uFNgvF.png

Anyway, instead of going on a frenzy to capture loads of the local wildlife I’m just gonna forage for seeds and mushrooms

TZ8xeHB.png
eMoV7U6.png
Sm1jQPW.png

I’m glad you guys are happy to be reunited, but chasing each other around the table is just kinda weird. Wanna hit the sea instead?

m2iPxOk.png
QBXRxXM.png
VA4DCvz.png
JKNHNCq.png
Aw8C5sz.png

Against my fucking will, but yeah

wHOKdsB.png
0rFuSNo.png
S0oBnmw.png
u8x7U7U.png
TQ6hpN5.png

“Peeko! We’re setting sail, my darling!” in a plummy old-timey voice became a meme as something kids would yell before jumping into the pool. I don’t think random lines were going memetic quite so often by the time Gen III came out, at least among my age group, but there were still one or two gems in there

us3JmK9.png
VH5ho0U.png
geQ1m29.png
JLKVDzU.png

Nyoom! I like that it actually shows you the sailing route, through routes you’ll be able to Surf one day, instead of skipping it with a blackout :D Gives you more of a vibe of, like, traveling around a Place That Exists rather than moving between game levels, you know?

xfRNEke.png
o7BBicp.png
d0EgjF6.png

Nah I’m gonna go looking for free shit

C8NwC5i.png
PCAAuv8.png
zZIX56a.png
oAPFrw5.png
gGSCa0f.png
5WN4oX6.png

This might be ideal for Tiffany if Pickup wasn’t so valuable to me. We’re not here to be fashionable, we’re here to find free shit and use knives

Hf80wiB.png
pKyXyR8.png
wcX2neg.png

Ahhh… small town celebrities.

gh8RW3L.png
s8kQgIs.png
IkAD58I.png

Honestly, sounds really chill, and I’m all for it

2BHDXG6.png
78wXsCw.png
sLZLJWJ.png

I’m guessing your Zigzagoon agrees!

GHmEjyW.png
o3fxscY.png

…Oh. Oh my god. I can’t believe I completely forgot the fucking Dewford Island Trends

y5QH7SI.png
WDl0iJu.png
QetyKGv.png
uOIzWEP.png
GiVKmx0.png
WClIOGh.png
KarZrUx.png

Gotta tell you, mate, even in 2003, you’re already dated as fuck

lkY2lYg.png
gyboE5k.png
B73bFQv.png

I know when I was a kid this was all about figuring out how to make them say something dirty, and I know I had a favourite phrase, but going through the options I can’t remember it now so I’m falling back on cheap trolling that was considered high comedy in '03

Js5V7Tz.png
GrErYpr.png
zl8HPT0.png
NixU0mB.png

If you really knew about it, you’d be swearing at me right now for making you lose

wQSrwGa.png
q8V3n7h.png
oK4H6iJ.png
FlHXwgT.png

It sure was in 2003, anyway!

4EclFB1.png
hACyK3y.png
47Ch9M3.png

I just looked up what this even does and found out for the first time, in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty one, that it changes which six tiles of Route 119 that Feebas appears in.

mzls4vh.png
uqF3moL.png
f2CGTmv.png
bUsdkQh.png
F710vxf.png

I mean, not unless it’s a Feebas system!

ppT1GZw.png
R9JQBOX.png
5lmwMrV.png

Maybe they just developed their senses of humorr offline, ma'am. I’m combing the dialogue in here right now but there really is fucking zero ingame indication of what these "trendy" phrases actually do

ZF9MDA2.png
T9uuYqk.png

Honestly, as inherently trolling as The Game is, it’s got nothing on Game Freak in Gen III

DPTq77T.png
rLLJd2J.png

Well, it sure ain't Squid Game, I'll tell you that

E0X6FqG.png
do6wRiK.png
Ozq8bhi.png
aNaOgLQ.png
7ZwikRL.png
nN2QD9l.png
ixlb9Ls.png

Kiddo, nobody owns licenses for The Game, I’m afraid you’ve been MAJORLY ripped off by some Chinese knockoff brand
Before this there have been rare Pokemon, one-off Pokemon, swarm Pokemon, baby Pokemon, and some of them have been really fucking rough to catch—especially Chansey in the Safari Zone—but Feebas is definitely the debut of Completely Fucking Bullshit acquisition methods for Pokemon

4MBTIc1.png
UZlbZ5L.png
ZXk1ety.png
2ZmVlVp.png
run0W3A.png

There is no winning The Game, my friend, there is only loss and suffering. It’s a lot like investing in crypto.

ysV6UVY.png
9dBmNBx.png

You more or less have to dedicate your life to finding goddamn Feebas if you want one in Gen III. They only appear in six random tiles in Route 119, you can change them by changing the trendy phrase but there’s no way to find out what the tiles have been changed to, because there is zero indication anywhere in the game as to exactly how hard Feebas is to find. I never caught one on my own as a kid; I gave a Polly Pocket set (the pink seashell one, iirc) to the one girl at my school who found one by sheer luck in exchange for her trading me an egg. Apparently those old Polly Pockets are worth a mint on ebay these days so maybe I should not have done that, but it seemed like a good deal at the time.

hvpakcp.png
F4aream.png
Z4BzgSl.png

Alright, enough of that. Time for spelunking!

k1r8Ho1.png
XVWwg0J.png
Ot7glkF.png

I feel like the wholeass Champion ought to be a high-profile enough celebrity that you’d know who he is? Plus being the son of the biggest corporate bastard in the country and all

pETzfzf.png
G25hBks.png
Esl4iCF.png
i3YwkzJ.png

Fill in your own joke about getting flashed in a cave if that floats your boat, but I feel like it may be well past time we moved on as a society and a fandom

eHLYhX0.png
yeN7bI0.png
DKy0A57.png
mxDtp8W.png

Okay, but consider this: I’m not a fucking coward

9sZxUMc.png
dW8WcHc.png

It’s a shame I don’t have the team space for a Makuhita, because I love em. Look at him! He’s just a happy round lil guy!

7QBpd1N.png

If nothing else, that hiker should’ve been able to tell that this guy’s important because he has his own unique sprite

9oMuIAv.png
DqFMLxw.png
ccRP8JX.png

I mean, if it does, I do not have access to that information. Wait, were you supposed to tell me that? Is your dad data harvesting? I don’t know how he’s monetizing this data but I’m sure he is. Am I gonna start getting targeted ads for Hyper Potions once my Pokemon have over 100HP?

CiJpBeU.png
UD9LckS.png
LlRsdIu.png
wVgwotz.png

I was promised payment in Chimchars, boyo

mGsoTGu.png
oJKWyiV.png
mmkfKcv.png

… you know what? I’ll take it, this TM fucking slaps

sJrmaXo.png
hzq8xw2.png
MDbfufk.png
TrhxP53.png

Done it three times now, but thanks anyway! Leak your dad’s shady business practices online for me, willya?

Alright, I'll hit up Brawly next time. Honestly, I'm still reeling over the revelation that the goddamn trendy phrases control Feebas spawns. What the hell, Game Freak? Is this your excuse for the shitty word-selection message system? These wee systems were clearly set up to stop us putting swear words or dirty messages in data that might be exchanged with other kids, which, as we all know, just breeds more creative dirty terminology. What did you like to make the trendy phrase when you were a kid? Did you ever luck into catching a Feebas in Gen III? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Users who are viewing this thread