• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Hoenn Teen Commentary Via Memory Lane V: A Sapphire Nostalgialocke

Thread Description
A bright and sunny blast from the past. (Updates Wed-Sat. Part 9: 1/12)

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Professor Birch is just a lil bitch
Real ones call him Professor Bitch
How very meta of you!
You mean The Artist Formerly Known as Facebook
In which I am amused by simple things, like being able to see the door of a building opening and closing when I go through it
Part II of FP’s classic RSE/FRLG stories:

So around 2005-06ish, I’d figured out that people discussed Pokémon on IGN, Serebii, and a couple other forums. Little did I realize the people there were probably significantly older than 8 year old me. Anyway I remember someone pointing out the Poke Ball in the middle of the RSE Poke Centers looks like the top is gold and the bottom is silver. My mind was blown.

That was also when I remember people really thinking we were getting a remake of GSC. They thought it was an Easter egg. Then in HGSS, the Pokecenter mat’s colors was an Emerald-y color. So we would get Black/White, RS remakes, and Pokémon Gray in Gen V, right??

nah.
I remember really enjoying The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
No. We read this in HS for some reason and I figured out the answer to the mystery like four or five pages in, which killed my enjoyment. I don’t remember all of it but I just remember being constantly irritated with every character.

Then again, I was constantly irritated as a whole at 15. And I sometimes still am at 24.
here it’s pronounced “shih-VON”
I think in the states, at least in NY, it was Shih-von or Shuh-von (where it’s a far more powerful UGH as opposed to eh or ih) depending on if you, like me, had a thicker NY accent in how you pronounce certain things. So it was Shuh-von for me.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
Wurmple!!! I've always loved the little fellas, they're possibly my favorite early game bug for how dang cute they are. And they're PINK!!! You cannot go wrong with that!!!!

As for favorite abilities... hm, I gotta say I love Serene Grace. I dabbled in Competitive for a few years, and the added percentage of status effects happening really did come in clutch when it needed to.

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
Man, your school sounds SO much better than mine, I agree that more should be like that—the small class sizes in particular are SO important for allowing teachers to tailor things to their students’ needs and interests!
As someone who has had classes ranging from 200+ students (gotta love college) to literally just me, small class sizes don't just let teachers tailor things to students, they let students socialize and understand each other better. In a class of twelve, you know everyone, and have some idea of what they're good at. In a class of 100, you pray you have a friend from elsewhere because it's really hard to meet new people. Long story short, class sizes should cap out at twenty.
What’s your favourite Ability?
I'm fond of Speed Boost, because I like being fast.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
look at all those little friends!!!!! aaa man i hope you get a dustox. moths are inherently superior to butterflies (one of many reasons being that they don't have horrorterror faces) also, really glad to see early-route babie squad is delightfully complete

i'd say my favorite ability is actually damp? i don't know why but it is so fucking hilarious. like yeah bro you sure are! moxie is right up there though

tbh my first experience with siobhan was through text so i have never actually heard it pronounced before and i figured it was sieo-baan...

silvertongue

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 29, 2021
Yay new friends for Nemo! Your team is coming along well. Pickup definitely comes in clutch. I am a fan of Sturdy when it’s my Pokémon, not so much when I’m grinding on roggenrolas 😂

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
I mean, I don’t think riding in the back of a moving van is something you’re legally supposed to do, but depending on how many people are gonna be involved… sometimes it feels like more of a waste to have somebody following behind in a second car, y’know? :v
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Probably an activity that's better if everybody involved is an adult.

I feel like I’ve seen the same thing about a Gamecube getting put through the wringer to test it? I feel like that was either Brainiac or Mythbusters—I think one of them also tested an original Gameboy because of the story of the Gulf War Gameboy making the rounds again. Nintendo really knew what the people want back in the day…
Mythbusters could be it! I absolutely watched the shit out of that show as a teen. It does sound familiar. And the Gulf War Gameboy... What a legend. It's too bad that Nintendo systems seem to get more breakable the fancier they are...

It would actually be hilariously appropriate for Rival Max to disappear after HGSS, since those are the last Pokemon games that IRL Max played, to my knowledge, and our rivalry there ended :v
Oh, I see! That's a funny coincidence. His loss! Well, at least it works out for this meta-narrative you have going on here.

Man now I really want Legends: Rayquaza or something, where you also start the game by seeing a local getting attacked by a Poochyena, but instead of fighting it with a Pokemon you just get to dropkick it :v
Which would just make Professor Birch look even worse to fans than he already does! Bested by a ten-year-old in the realm of unarmed Pokémon combat...

Last time we arrived in Hoenn, picked up a Mudkip and then there’s an odd gap in my memory, not sure what that’s about but I’m sure it’s fine
Yeah, don't worry about it. There's nothing down that road but an existential crisis.

ZbCVWvJ.png
axFUExZ.png

Well, I’m glad he spends time with his kid, at least, but I wonder if he ever did before Brendan was old enough to hit the field with him
Professor Oak's really instilled an enduring suspicion of Pokémon Professors' parenting habits in you, hasn't he?

UxUjH1u.png

How very meta of you!
Oh boy. It's another one of Them. I thought that they only had Them in Johto! They're spreading! Hardware incompatibility can't contain Them!

PV6vuk2.png
BjqQQuw.png
LJ7OL7C.png

Dr Footprint? I thought you lived in Sinnoh?
Well, I imagine that his profession would require a lot of travel. Can't get every Pokémon's footprints in one region alone.

Hey, it’s you! The one inadequate to serve as the vessel of Max, my Eternal Rival!
Hahaha. Love how that's the explanation you've landed on for being unable to name him. After that sexist stuff he said to you, he doesn't deserve it!

q0CYbSZ.png
xyuLkI3.png
BeOkLet.png

In which I am amused by simple things, like being able to see the door of a building opening and closing when I go through it
Technology is incredible!

nGBnu7F.png
PoD3t8I.png
5Jy3Z1z.png

Hmmm. Big fan of your son getting his ass kicked, are you?
Ouch.

If you’re pointedly giving this to me over your son who, you just pointed out, has more experience and has been helping you for years, I swear to god—

x3KdPku.png
3URQFnL.png
dEM4kkL.png

Oh, okay, he’s already got one. Cool.
Hopefully the professor continues to live up to this not-very-high parenting standard!

KtzLZio.png
EeGn6u9.png

Okay, that’s adorable
Aww. It sounds like they have a good relationship, at least for now.

BukohBV.png
jtBxBu7.png
2VTjk5i.png

THANK you! Finally! A Zigzagoon’s not gonna catch itself, you know!
I mean, I dunno. If a wild one tried to Pickup an empty ball... I'm sure accidents must happen sometimes.

prBF0hA.png
4G7iets.png
Fb19SWU.png

Yep! By the way, I know we just moved in, but I’m outta here! Bye!
hahaha

LpyirEB.png
vyjFLF5.png
dOCc44e.png

Can everyone in Hoenn see through the fourth wall?! Or is my mum just speaking in tongues here? “Mother what the fuck is a B button”
Your mother is one of Them too! This isn't a laughing matter! (For real, though, "speaking in tongues" did make me chuckle.)

nyveKbG.png
V17wqzU.png
dAuihhv.png

Enough to be home, ever?
Ouch. Riiiight, that's why Chu's so suspicious of Birch and Brendan's relationship.

piwxNFW.png
h77y1QV.png

Hello little lady! Oh god she’s so cuuuuuuute ❤️
Nice! Wurmple's definitely a good'un, even if it's an early-game bug. And there's always the fun surprise of seeing what she'll evolve into!

Just pop up north again for a second catch…

3bzTREb.png

PUPPY!!! HI PUPPY!
Yes! Good puppy! So glad that you're gonna get to catch one of those too!

O0sdydC.png

Be mine plz, puppy!!!
The "be mine" phrasing is fun too. I'm imagining Chu down on one knee, holding out the ball like it's a ring box.

I remember really enjoying The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time, particularly Siobhan, Christopher’s school support person who helps explain to him the things other people do that he doesn’t understand, or clear up the rules for how to do things that people don’t think to explain to him. GOD I wanted a Siobhan to help me out. Also, I’m curious, @the Americans in the audience: how do you guys pronounce the name Siobhan? It’s a gaelic name and here it’s pronounced “shih-VON”, because “bh” in gaelic makes a “v” sound, but you guys always change the pronunciations of stuff across the pond
Not an American, but still across the pond, so: I've never seen the name "Siobhan" in the wild, either with that pronunciation or an altered one, as far as I know. But I did go to high school with a girl whose name was pronounced like Siobhan, but it was spelled "Chevon" (I looked it up in my yearbook to double-check). So I guess it's kind of the reverse, where the pronunciation stayed the same but the spelling was Anglicized to be more intuitive to English speakers who don't know Gaelic.

LfcDDc8.png

Theeeere we go! I love these wee buggers, I really do, I am VERY happy with how the team’s shaping up so far ❤️
Hell yeah! Hoenn really has lots of great early-game catches, and even though they're all but mandatory for a Hoenn nuzlocke I'm still excited too to see you catch all these guys.

C’mon sweetheart, join my Fuzzy Baby Team! Well, Nemo’s more slimy, but we love him anyway
Fuzzy Baby Team is so cute, aww!

c6G0UgI.png
W2tWv2H.png
NqNHSG4.png

Tinyraccoon, the best genus
haha

93swMH9.png

Okay, so, this is important. My dad’s loved Discworld books since the eighties, and I tried to read The Colour of Magic a few times, but I just didn’t get into it, mostly because when I was like 9 I just had not read any pulpy fantasy fiction or played any DnD, so I did not get 95% of the jokes in that book. But in 2003, The Wee Free Men came out, and my dad went “huh, this one’s labeled YA fiction and it’s about a little girl who loves to read, that sounds exactly like my daughter” and he could not have been more right. The Wee Free Men was literally, and I mean this very seriously, a lifechanging read for me. It honestly changed the way I perceived reality, myself, and storytelling, and from there I hopped into the Witches books and loved them, and that was that. I feel like people think I’m joking when I say I have a religious devotion to Discworld but honestly? It taught me a lot of important moral, ethical and philosophical lessons at a formative age that have fundamentally shaped who I am today. Also, reading Small Gods a few years later made me SIGNIFICANTLY less insufferable than when I was reading Richard Dawkins
Anyway, Tiffany Aching is a girl who loves to read, thinks too much about words, and goes after the Queen of the Fairies with a frying pan after her baby brother gets taken. She thinks a lot about fairy tales she’s been told, especially about how they’re never about girls like her, how plain girls with brown hair and brown eyes don’t get magical destinies, but she's much more powerful than anybody else thinks, and that’s why I thought of her for Zigzagoon. Also she’s sort of a dowager queen of the Nac Mac Feegle, a race of tiny blue pictsies who, among other pastimes, enjoy a bit of casual theft, which makes me think of Pickup :P
Oh, amazing namesake! Love the reasoning there--perfect. And it was your dad who got you into Discworld? Wow, good for him for not just introducing you to something you love but altering the entire trajectory of your life like that in such a positive way. I completely believe what you say about having a religious devotion to Discworld; exactly how deeply these books mean to you comes through whenever you talk about them, and I've seen you talk about them many times. It's great to see, honestly.

What’s your favourite Ability? Aside from Pickup, I’m also a big fan of Moxie myself!
Not sure if I can pick just one. Pickup is hella useful. So are Intimidate and, as you said, Moxie... I think Contrary is fun to pull on enemies that try to get the drop on you with something like Intimidate, like that horde battle with five Aqua/Magma Grunts with five Intimidate Mightyena. Ones like Protean or Libero are cool--every move has STAB! No one knows what your Pokémon's type will be one move to the next!

One really specific one that I like is Harvest, which is the Hidden Ability of a few grass-types including Exeggutor. If a Pokémon that has it eats a Berry, it has a 50% chance of regenerating that Berry every turn (100% chance in sunny weather). Why do I like it? Because if you Skill Swap the Ability onto a wild legendary Pokémon, and then Bestow a Leppa Berry onto it as a held item, then you essentially have a legendary with infinite PP, since the Leppa activates as soon as it reaches zero PP on any move and restores 10 PP. (And Exeggutor specifically can learn both those moves.) It's impossible for a legendary to Struggle itself to death with that sort of setup, so it's extremely useful for shiny hunting.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura I love Poochyena and Mightyena dearly, I just wish they were more viable 😭
Inner Focus is super good, and similarly, I love Oblivious. Attract users fuck off

@Kit_The_Feef there’s a hell of a disparity between Abilities that are INCREDIBLY good and can make a huge difference in fights, and, like… Run Away :v

@Time Master Eon I do love me a good pupper ❤️

@Erosaf imo Zigzagoon and Linoone are PEAK examples of “common Normal-types with utterly bananas movepools” and I love them for it XD

@Lumaeus Ahhhh, I want New Snap so much, but I do not have video game buying money 😭
I feel like I have some misapprehensions about how common the name Siobhan is outside of the UK :v
I do love a Huge Power Azumarill just because it sounds adorable. Like a lil squeaky toy tryna be All Might XD

@FPFP66 I have no clue what the Meta Company is or why Facebook is trying to steal their name and I do not care. It’s all about textual analysis in this house lads
I am endlessly grateful I was not in Pokemon forums as a kid, I didn’t even get into forum culture at all until I was a teenager and that’s probably a good thing
My enjoyment of TCIOTDITNT, in retrospect, was less about the mystery and more being fascinated by the portrayal of the world from an autistic kid’s point of view rather than writing about autism from the outside. I did not realize why I was vibing so hard with that at the time, but boy howdy XD Hard agree on a lot of the characters being irritating af, but then, neurotypicals can be like that :v

@Nebbles I never got into competitive play too much, but I had a Togekiss with Serene Grace in my SS run and he was GLORIOUS ❤️

@Electro I was in classes of about twenty as a kid, and honestly, as a teacher? I feel like they should cap out at ten. I got SO much more done with smaller classes than I did with bigger ones, and it makes it much easier to mainstream kids with various physical or educational disabilities both because the teacher can prep lessons for them better, and more efforts can be made to help other kids in the class understand and socialize with the kid and generally be sensible about disability instead of othering disabled kids so hard.

@bhelryss see I’m the opposite, I find moth faces scarier than butterfly faces, but I love both of em anyway, they’re all good bugs ❤️
The thing about the Roman alphabet is that every language uses it differently, so on the one hand you can read stuff in another language easily enough, but on the other you have NO fucking clue how to pronounce it if you don’t know what noises all the letters make in that language :v Like, I found Welsh SO much easier to grok once learning that “ll” is a “th” noise and “w” is a vowel that goes “oo”. Language is wild and funky.

@silvertongue big mood on Sturdy, it makes level grinding SO frustrating but it’s a lifesaver on your own ‘mon!

@songwithnosoul the generalized lack of visible fathers in Pokemon has me endlessly sus of what parenting culture is like out there. Probably doesn’t help that everything is handled through the medium of magic animal fights :v
Wurmple’s branching evolutions can be kinda stressful when you’re dex-building (I can’t remember which game but I vividly remember something where I had to hatch like 30 of the lil buggers to get one that would evolve into Cascoon), but I kinda love it in nuzlockes bc it’s fun to catch something and still have a bit of mystery about what it’ll be!
“Chevon” seems like it might be French or French-ish? Might be one of those convergent evolution of names things, and also not a name I’ve ever seen before! Misread it as “Chevron” at first, though :v
The Wee Free Men is still my rec for anyone looking to get into Discworld, because it’s much easier to get into than the others and also just because it’s a damn fun book XD
Harvest isn’t an ability I heard of before, but it sounds cool as hell and I love that strat for shiny-hunting legendaries… I cannot imagine the grief on getting a shiny legendary and then watching it Struggle to death before you can catch it 😭

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time, I caught a bunch of new friends and rambled about three of the most formative pieces of media of my childhood! Today…

F0S0uRD.png
LfrR4cZ.png
bB3eUF1.png
R7ZlSkx.png

QoV9Tni.png

BABBY YELL with excitement because he has so many new friends!!!

KPCjh6j.png
Vj3gqQT.png
ir1tVnx.png

Is that the law here? Because honestly I could believe that

XHF0qIc.png
fUWnnvs.png
wFV2veQ.png
DbYJCRl.png

Time for the ol’ bait-and-switch!

uJizRx9.png

I mean, would it matter if I can’t legally refuse your challenge?

TVTpIY1.png
wxdIdZ0.png

I was so confused by the word “loamy” when I was a kid, because I connected it to the word “loafing” and wondered if the soil was lazy. However, I was also at the age where I knew how to look stuff up in the dictionary, so I was able to grasp that it means “good soil for farming” though our dictionary said that in way more words. Anyway, I will not be berry farming because I’m not sure if it’ll work on this ROM and even if it does I cannot be arsed. I thought it was fun at first as a kid, but it pretty quickly became a bit of a faff keeping track of where I’d planted things and what the damn berries even were

4vRjXlA.png

Alrighty, we have arrived!

FdIC09U.png
ZI1ce4Z.png

ALRIGHT OLD MAN, SQUARE UP, WHY THE FUCK WEREN’T YOU AT THE AIRPORT

5sszGLq.png
6ZYCE7S.png
CI3ajb8.png

I could have died and you wouldn’t even have known! I don’t know why I’m so set against Norman, he’s more present than literally all other protagonist dads

pyMaNNL.png
yj7NmQP.png
qRfSOuk.png

I mean I’m not doing a Normal monolocke so I’m definitely not gonna be a trainer like you

LGQ4ADJ.png
N1cUcsk.png
tzU7HFe.png

I guess RSE is the introduction of Having Multiple Rivals, though honestly? Birch Jr is just kinda here to make sure there are some rival battles in the early game, while Wally actually has an interesting character arc but disappears for long chunks of the story. Of the two, I definitely prefer Wally, he’s a wee sweetheart, though I am still disappointed that there is no adequate vessel for Max in Hoenn

uxcT50V.png
ELmkdb2.png
u8LSumn.png

Remember, kids, a Pokemon is for life, not just for moving day! Or until they die I guess

Zw4WigA.png
C8pHj4o.png
vCaGqmp.png

Hey, he came to you for help, don’t fob this off on me, you lazy bugger!

bA5ltfU.png
SDp92Ky.png
Byqgaan.png
JMRcatK.png
WbwPKss.png
leae4ui.png

Oh, I see how it is. This rando gets Pokemon and pokeballs from you, while I had to go fight feral dogs to track down my weird neighbour and his kid?

qs93Yic.png
QYlzQtP.png
X1MGjWm.png

I mean, apparently

wMvvZQT.png
lTjGjXs.png
bws7onD.png

So the occasional eminent researcher has yelled at me

7Xi2kr4.png
XfmyOrK.png
Hwv5m7z.png

You are the luckiest little shit oh my god—okay, Jules, Siobh, Tiff, I love you all very much but look at this bullshit

KTR1Cgz.png
fMXjxCw.png
JZ9Wtos.png

I’ll give it this, as catching tutorials go, it’s much less patronizing than a guy dragging you off and insisting he’ll show you what to do—this time, you’re the senpai teaching this kid!

6wH8a8Z.png
Rq5qrxn.png
ndbRmgr.png

It sure fuckin did!!!

hWE9R6c.png
WjU0Pra.png
RcH1qO8.png
I44Y7El.png
xFZZcjS.png
XR615cf.png

Bye, Wally! You are sweet and I do wish we saw more of you

h4Tj734.png
xvkr7Fv.png
QUEZWGz.png
oEFg6z5.png
rB4WAqA.png
3D7zYWm.png
lQVzkwT.png
KZOh6Xx.png

Oh, I see, there’s always conditions, aren’t there, old man? Fuck’s sakes

deTFwHY.png

Welp, guess Nemo and I gotta go end Roxanne’s whole career

C2GiXcX.png
PcTFe84.png
fsXYKVh.png
RiCFQIM.png

Whoa there, I just came to appreciate the visuals of the reflections and the movement of the water, not for some self-analysis

xL6AA6o.jpg

...or for that. NOM UK got a little weird and edgy about Gen III, as we shall see.

JxOoT2j.png
VUulsHA.png

Girl, BIG same

krpDrx6.png
HLM2TVC.png
WSnuNoE.png
VZHM2zo.png

God, if I could, if my feet weren’t fucked and life didn’t cost money and there wasn’t a plague on, I would love to just head out the door , walk into the highlands, hitch a ride on a boat, just start walking somewhere in Europe and see where I can go… aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

8G4ItH2.png
C4SM3qx.png

I can see where she got her love of travel from!

BVUQ9Pv.png

I love the expansion of the environmental details—this house has its own wee garden and allotment! I remember, though, that even in Gen III, there were folk frustrated that there were still only four directions of movement, and how much of the scenery was very square-based. A lot of other GBA games were doing diagonals just fine, but then again, most other GBA games didn’t have nearly 400 customisable playable characters (which is what, in a traditional JRPG sense, Pokemon are). I feel like Hoenn in particular has a very distinct aesthetic amongst Pokemon regions, and it’s very charming.

JKuqUhZ.png
WDT4Jdz.png

Anyway, talking to more randomers for Rare Protag Lore! Honestly, given that you’re canonically from Johto and the mums didn’t have names in Gen I-III, there’s no proof that you’re NOT the same person who beat down Team Rocket at the Radio Tower and beat all sixteen Kanto/Johto gyms…

dDX4NHy.png
K8M9dPz.png
JQHJdDQ.png

Well he sure doesn’t live for helping his family move, I’ll tell you that!

Xv4HImb.png
tQaCt4N.png
qMmMxjz.png
JSEkZYP.png
YJ5t1xy.png

I’ll give Wally this, I think this is more backstory than Blue and Silver got put together in Gen I-II

guCeu2f.png
a67wkfE.png

Starring in a popular series of hide-and-seek puzzle books, perhaps?

7HJgHcR.png
lEnutux.png

Ah shit, you’re warming my heart

pmS7cyW.png

Time for more earlygame catching! I’m banking on getting either Wingull or Taillow this route

CRQhWGO.png
qkkDGTX.png
7kn9EWU.png

Lads, lads… you’re too late. Tiffany got here first. Deal with it.

j2pOLou.png

Eyyy, nice! Wingull would be too much of an overlap with Nemo, so I’m happy with this!

dlb5sOM.png
DMhkkud.png
WxSJQF3.png
slyQUyf.png

Ohnooooooo, it’s a lonesome baby? D: WHY IS TAILLOW’S POKEDEX ENTRY SAD—also Jules maybe you should hide in my bag

T3CgZbE.png

Stuff I was into in 2003 was frustratingly low on birbs, so finally I looked at Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and remembered the eagles, which I’m sure have names in the extended LOTR lore but I have never been able to keep track of any of them, so this sad wee baby is just Eagle now

JieNVlU.png
Uk4LsYh.png
j5lHGeg.png

He gets sad and cries at night and his ability depends on suffering?? I wish to hug this birb

I am going to go cuddle this baby until he no longer feels lonesome. Next time, we’ll go for a lovely and I’m sure entirely safe walk through Petalburg Woods! Until then, serious, NOM UK was sure having a mid-noughties minute over these games...

hSb1126.jpg

Well, sometimes it was funnier than others XD Quite a few of you mentioned these were your first games, though, so I guess I'm curious: why was that your first? Was it a matter of just timing in your life, or was there something about these games in particular that grabbed you? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
eagle is a baby!!!! you've got such a good team of lovely little sweethearts

ruby was my first game because after my birthday that year my restrictive parents decided that i was finally, finally old enough that a videogame or t.v. wouldn't make me lazy or keep me from playing outside or whatever. i'd been in love with pokemon forever, and my parents knew about it pretty well from us watchin the occasional cartoon and from the neighbor boys who were older than me, so it was like, the best birthday present. a game! a pokemon game!!!

i was finally able to join the ranks of the cool kids....i too......could journey with pokemon. ;; a dream come true

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I forgot they made Taillow's 'dex entry Like That. Give that bird a hug, damn :p

Sapphire was mostly timing, I think. I never had any consoles or handhelds prior to the GBA SP (one of my half sisters had a PS2, but she's 20 years older than me and didn't live with us), but I enjoyed the anime as a kid - I have distinct memories of using those old pre-streaming service cable channels where you could watch a handful of episodes of various shows to watch parts of the Ruby and Sapphire anime, and pausing on frames of it to redraw them as a kid. Most distinctly, I remember redrawing one of Seviper with this method, I want to say Jessie's? Anyway, I guess at some point my parents realized, "Hey, my kid's into this Pokémon thing, and they're for this game system. This GBA SP's blue, and Sapphire is blue, we'll get them." Or maybe I asked for them specifically, genuinely can't remember, I was like five back then. Very possible, I used to make lists of what I wanted for my birthday and Christmas every year, and I was very specific, because my boomer folks weren't exactly tech savvy (or good parents, as time went on) :p Either way, Sapphire was my first game in general, aside from old PC edutainment ones, and I'm glad to have it be my introduction to the gaming landscape!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I guess RSE is the introduction of Having Multiple Rivals, though honestly? Birch Jr is just kinda here to make sure there are some rival battles in the early game, while Wally actually has an interesting character arc but disappears for long chunks of the story. Of the two, I definitely prefer Wally, he’s a wee sweetheart, though I am still disappointed that there is no adequate vessel for Max in Hoenn
I mean you don't fight him in Sapphire, but there is one candidate in Hoenn

FPFP66

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I am endlessly grateful I was not in Pokemon forums as a kid, I didn’t even get into forum culture at all until I was a teenager and that’s probably a good thing
I liked going on IGN at 11 years old and thinking I could pass for 14-16 when I was probably talking with college kids and parents. Ahhhh.

funny how things have changed though. Now you have all these kids openly saying they’re 12-14 on social media and there’s no shame. We were talking on another forum I’m on about how Reddit and r/teenagers is so dangerous.

what were we talking about?

Is that the law here?
I’ve made this joke before but

Anyway, I will not be berry farming because I’m not sure if it’ll work on this ROM and even if it does I cannot be arsed. I thought it was fun at first as a kid, but it pretty quickly became a bit of a faff keeping track of where I’d planted things and what the damn berries even were
Berry farming was such a bad idea. Every game/region should’ve had a legit berry shop where you can only buy X amount a day and you unlock more as time goes on. Have some nature-related reason as to why. Idk.
there’s no proof that you’re NOT the same person who beat down Team Rocket at the Radio Tower and beat all sixteen Kanto/Johto gyms
Well the timeline wouldn’t work but it’s a theory.

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
Ahhhh, I want New Snap so much, but I do not have video game buying money
I wish I could offer to lend you mine, but apparently the shipping rate across the ocean is...frankly appropriate for that kind of distance, but ugh.

The thing about the Roman alphabet is that every language uses it differently, so on the one hand you can read stuff in another language easily enough, but on the other you have NO fucking clue how to pronounce it if you don’t know what noises all the letters make in that language
(Obligatory "Other than English, where you still don't know, haha, English is spelled bad" joke)
This is a fun thing when teaching German. "Here's the sounds the letters always make, according to the rules. This is universal [except if it's a French or English word, but the former aren't horribly common and the latter you already recognize]. Congratulations, you can pronounce German." Half the classroom disbelieves. But that's what happens when a language reforms its spelling regularly.

Anyway, I will not be berry farming because I’m not sure if it’ll work on this ROM and even if it does I cannot be arsed. I thought it was fun at first as a kid, but it pretty quickly became a bit of a faff keeping track of where I’d planted things and what the damn berries even were
Give me a single Lum berry and I will grow a garden of Full Heals over the next week before continuing the game.

Whoa there, I just came to appreciate the visuals of the reflections and the movement of the water, not for some self-analysis
Best graphical moment in all of mainline pokemon games.

Hey! This joke isn't localized to America, and if that's not the only discrimination anyone on earth faces, I don't know what is!

Thanks for another great update! It's a blast watching :)

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
honestly? i'm of the firm opinion that neither "rival" in Hoenn actually counts as a decent rival. I mean, one just fucking quits on you at Lilycove (if you even remember they have a battle there in RSE) and the other you only ever see 3 times, and battle 2 of those 3 times.

just about all of the friendly rivals of the future are better than that. Barry puts together a solid team and fights you once every city or two until the Galactic Plot nears its climax, Cheren & Bianca have whole character arcs and are pretty decent fights for the various times they each show up and fight you, Hugh's... doing Hugh things, (ignore how bad the kalos rivals are. they're from kalos, no one plays those games for the characters or story), Hau's actually pretty fucking threatening at times, and even got to be the first Rival to get the Champion position since the Kanto games, and Hop... I don't know what Hop's deal is, but I have heard good things about it.

Wally could've been a pretty good rival, but he barely even factors into anything. I wouldn't be surprised if some kids on their first time playing the game just forgot about him until he showed up in Victory Road.

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
Emerald was my third (a friend had black when I was in elementary school, and when I found how to play in middle school, I did FireRed first) but there's just something fascinating about the game. It's completely possible to play it several times and have very different teams (especially when you are bad at nuzlocking.) There's a lot of replay in the Gen III Hoenn games, and I really like that.

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Sapphire was my first game because when I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of moey, so my brothers had a ds but I did not. However, I still really wanted to play a Pokemon game because I loved Pokemon and was tired of watching my brothers play Diamond and Pearl without me. So my mom let me borrow my brother's old GBA so I could play a game too. I initially picked Sapphire over Emerald because blue was my favourite colour. Later on, I was given a full set of the Pokemon GBA games of my own and I got to play FireRed and Emerald. I also let my brother borrow LeafGreen because I am a lovely younger sibling. And I let my friend play Ruby.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
I do adore Wally, he's such a sweetie and a good lad... and I agree with you on Hoenn's distinct aesthetics!! I've really always wanted to live there, despite the fact it's a tropical island and I'd endlessly bitch about the humidity every day, so... maybe I'll just vacation there for a while instead. Yeah, that'll work.

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Wurmple’s branching evolutions can be kinda stressful when you’re dex-building (I can’t remember which game but I vividly remember something where I had to hatch like 30 of the lil buggers to get one that would evolve into Cascoon), but I kinda love it in nuzlockes bc it’s fun to catch something and still have a bit of mystery about what it’ll be!
Oh yeah, it's also annoying for shiny-hunting. Once I caught like 7 or 8 shiny Wurmple that evolved into Silcoon in a row before I got one that evolved into Cascoon instead. Not the best luck I've ever had. :P

“Chevon” seems like it might be French or French-ish? Might be one of those convergent evolution of names things, and also not a name I’ve ever seen before! Misread it as “Chevron” at first, though :v
I googled it and apparently "chevon" is the culinary term for goat meat? It's a blend of two different French words, chèvre and mouton (goat and sheep). Not that I think that my classmate was named after goat meat, but you were right that the word has a French ring to it. Googling the name specifically, all I get is somewhat dubious baby name websites that alternately claim it's "American/Hebrew" in origin or a phonetic spelling of Siobhan as I suggested. So, I guess we could both be right. IDK.

The Wee Free Men is still my rec for anyone looking to get into Discworld, because it’s much easier to get into than the others and also just because it’s a damn fun book XD
It worked for me!

Harvest isn’t an ability I heard of before, but it sounds cool as hell and I love that strat for shiny-hunting legendaries… I cannot imagine the grief on getting a shiny legendary and then watching it Struggle to death before you can catch it 😭
Yeah, thankful to have never experienced that myself! I came upon that Harvest Exeggutor tip early enough on, before I'd ever tried anything but a Master Ball to catch a shiny legendary. It is fun to come up with alternate strategies in gens where this technique isn't available, though, kind of like nuzlockes are fun. It's an unnecessary challenge that might cause pain down the line, but it encourages creative strategies and using Pokémon, moves, and items and just generally playstyles that you wouldn't normally even consider. But, you know, you still really want to catch it in the end.

QoV9Tni.png

BABBY YELL with excitement because he has so many new friends!!!
Awww.

Anyway, talking to more randomers for Rare Protag Lore! Honestly, given that you’re canonically from Johto and the mums didn’t have names in Gen I-III, there’s no proof that you’re NOT the same person who beat down Team Rocket at the Radio Tower and beat all sixteen Kanto/Johto gyms…
True, true. Just a little dye job and a haircut---not even that much if you're going from Ethan to Brendan, really. It's a bit of a shame that the connection between these two regions isn't explored more in the games or in nuzlockes...

dDX4NHy.png
K8M9dPz.png
JQHJdDQ.png

Well he sure doesn’t live for helping his family move, I’ll tell you that!
Haha, ouch.

guCeu2f.png
a67wkfE.png

haha

CRQhWGO.png
qkkDGTX.png
7kn9EWU.png

Lads, lads… you’re too late. Tiffany got here first. Deal with it.
Aww. I love the idea of the little fuzzballs just lining up to be caught by you---they know you're going places!

j2pOLou.png

Eyyy, nice! Wingull would be too much of an overlap with Nemo, so I’m happy with this!
Hopefully you'll get Wingull in your hinted-at upcoming Emerald run instead! Probably will be more useful then (though this is still Hoenn, 7.8/10 Too Much Water and all... water-types aren't hard to get)! Taillow is a great catch too, was really hoping you'd get that one!

Ohnooooooo, it’s a lonesome baby? D: WHY IS TAILLOW’S POKEDEX ENTRY SAD—also Jules maybe you should hide in my bag
hah

T3CgZbE.png

Stuff I was into in 2003 was frustratingly low on birbs, so finally I looked at Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and remembered the eagles, which I’m sure have names in the extended LOTR lore but I have never been able to keep track of any of them, so this sad wee baby is just Eagle now
It works! And it's a pretty badass-sounding name, I have to say.

JieNVlU.png
Uk4LsYh.png
j5lHGeg.png

He gets sad and cries at night and his ability depends on suffering?? I wish to hug this birb
Wow, they actually put it like that, too! "Ups ATTACK if suffering." I guess they didn't have enough room to specify status conditions in the English translation and this gets the point across but wow. Harsh. There's always so much wilder stuff in the flavour text in these games than I give it credit for. Good thing you're here to investigate these things for me, I guess!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@bhelryss I can FEEL your sheer joy on getting Ruby, thank you for sharing <3 Pokemon lets you go on ADVENTURES dammit! That’s the original point and that’s what’s so great about it!

@Garnet Oh man, I remember watching the anime every Saturday, I think somewhere in Hoenn was when I stopped? I think the last one I remember seeing was the two-parter where Misty came back and her Togepi evolved into Togetic while protecting other Togetic from poachers… I was so happy to see my girl Misty and then I cried so hard Q_Q But what a wonderful entry to the world of video games and the world of art!

@Time Master Eon it took me WAY too long to realize that you meant Maxie because at this point I always forget that that’s his name in the English version, I’m too used to writing him as Marc XDXDXD But being Maxie is no real substitute for being Max…

@FPFP66 I am eternally grateful that my main entry to the internet was a niche InuYasha fanfic forum that was primarily populated by nice ladies in their 30s and 40s who taught me the key internet disciplines of Do No Harm Take No Shit, Be Safe Be Secret, and Using The Back Button XDXDXD Honestly I think going through that kind of environment is the only way people should be allowed online. Teenagers get suckered into heavily dramatic fandoms where you gotta Prove Your Identity to have the “right” to talk about idk race or gender or sexuality or whatever in that fandom and it potentially makes things SO easy for predators. To say nothing of kids who put all of their mental health issues and triggers in their carrds and bios and such… sweethearts PLEASE do not just HAND that information to trolls!!! Don’t! The mental anguish is not worth it even if you avoid physical danger! The point of being online is not to tell everybody who you are it is to be formless and imperceivable! Doing shit through a fake online persona is something bad faith actors do, yeah, but it’s also how you keep yourself safe! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
The games really don’t have a hard and fast timeline—there’s some hints here and there but I don’t believe there’s much in canon that nails down a hard timeline. Also Via Memory Lane is either a series of parallel universes or a series of sequential events depending on what, at the present moment, is funnier, and here we do what we want :P

@Lumaeus Honestly one of the things I really liked about learning hiragana was the whole “These are the characters. They are pronounced One Way. There, you can read hiragana.” And of course there are accents and shit (in Tokyo they do drop “u”s a lot, and apparently I picked up that accent of saying, like, “Arigatou gozaimasssss”) but god, it’s SO simple, I love it. The flipside is the insistence of using the exact same syllabic set for katakana, which is exclusively for foreign words, so a lot of English words are utterly unrecognizable in katakana (a problem my parents encountered was that shops would sometimes have “milk tea” on their menu, but wouldn’t understand what you were asking for unless you asked for “miruku tea”...if you have an alphabet exclusively for foreign words then put some foreign syllables and phonemes in there! AHHHH) Anyway enough ranting, sounds like German has the opposite of the Académie Française and I respect that
Super glad you’re enjoying it, Gen III is so preeeettttyyyyy <3

@Anya Homura I don’t know why Game Freak insisted on you having two “rivals” and then fully developed neither of them but I Disapprove. They only count as better than the Kalosian rivals because I like Wally so much, so that’s 50/50 on good rivals, where basically the only one from Kalos I have any interest in is Shauna and that’s pretty much just for gay reasons. Hop is a pretty good rival, and there are at least interesting things going on with Marnie and Bede to almost justify there being three rivals, though like everything else in Gen VIII they’re so clearly unfinished >_>

@Electro one of the things I love about nuzlocking is replaying the same game and getting different experiences out of it! The Hoenn games are extra fun for that if you’re just coming off of Gen I and Gen II, like I am, since you can spend so long catching only Hoennese Pokemon :D

@Kit_The_Feef Sharing is caring! Passing on those Pokemon games you got sounds lovely :D

@Nebbles ahhh, I still want to visit Okinawa sometime, but given what a Bad Time I had with the heat and humidity in Tokyo during the summer… maybe Okinawa is somewhere to visit in the autumn or winter :v Conversely, I always wanted to take an Obon trip up to Hokkaido to get away from the heat, but never had the time and money at the same time… Q_Q

@songwithnosoul I cannot imagine how many Wurmple it took to get to those shinies, ooooooft XP You can never have too many pretty bugs, though!
Who knows where names come from? Almost certainly not baby name websites XP I’ve kinda drifted away from using them for character names and towards “most popular baby names in X country in Y year” censuses :v
I deliberately made catching Satine the Ho-oh and Sonic the Suicune pretty tough on myself, to maintain the challenge of a nuzlocke, and then immediately regretted it… but hey, it worked out, even if neither of them were shiny!
Yeah, Wingull is much more ideally paired up with Torchic or Treeko than Mudkip, so I’m glad how things worked out with Eagle!

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time we scooped up a sad baby bird and now his mother won’t take him back, so I'm his mother now. This time…

F0S0uRD.png
LfrR4cZ.png
bB3eUF1.png
R7ZlSkx.png
Cz0VFCn.png

aeKJQQ0.png

Beach time babey!

CQ3RWkt.png
Zmf2zZo.png

God, he’s so right though. Environmental details are fun!

4x1V4C0.png
8avoCwO.png

Foreshadowing?

NKOJZeZ.png
xahWI7c.png

Completely empty wee seaside house, I’m sure this is fine and definitely not haunted

nanJlgZ.png
OmQqOmk.png

Oh my god, I never thought to check out these vases before and now I am SCREAMING laughing. What a polite wee RPG protagonist! Notices that they look expensive, and instead of smashing them to see if there’s loot inside, carefully peers in! God imagine this well-behaved child giving Link an angry telling-off for his wanton property destruction

mHdqtlK.png
UTJuHLm.png

My previous gf was a sailor and she has OPINIONS about this kind of behaviour being treated as “brave” instead of “suicidally stupid”

2ueqCQV.png
8sRyyAK.png

Are… are you literally asking me to kick your ass and take your money? Are you bragging about being able to afford private healthcare? Too good to use the socialized Pokemon Centres like the rest of us?

Ul0sm0O.png
6QFu6Qf.png

You actually can buy Pokemon at Game Corners. And TMs and vitamins and other things that can buff up your Pokemon. And also apparently magic hairdye that looks blond close up and brown from far away?

PjpDPIy.png

Alrighty, here we go, fingers crossed we don’t just get three more Wurmple!

5YVJ8hI.png
d0jhARx.png

This man has six Wurmple, so possibly there’s none left for us. Thanks for helping me train up my weaker team members!

vCvDLIO.png
tbZzwbw.png

Oh, nice, good, okay! I’m cool with this! I haven’t used Shroomish much before but I know Breloom can be really good!

13Nj3VA.png
vk3fWq3.png
435jdJM.png

C’moooon, lil shroom, join the gang!

nBF5bhl.png
0divfqN.png
tNTpXoG.png
kYNEtwF.png

Yoooo—oh god for the sake of the forest we definitely need to get you out of here

qq73CCA.png

This was another one I had a hard time naming. Toad did not debut as a driver in Mario Kart: Double Dash, he was part of the OG Kart Krew, but I’ve been having hard flashbacks to how much I loved Double Dash and I actually think it might be my favourite Mario Kart? The dual driver thing was SO much fun, each driver having unique weapons was fun, and also it was the game that debuted Baby Park, the most wildly fucking unhinged track in all of Mario Kart. It’s just a little oval, straightforward, right? Even if it’s nine laps? You are dangerously underestimating the sheer chaos generated by Mario Kart weapons, and the fact that the theme music keeps increasing in pace for all nine laps. Baby Park on 200cc is more something you experience than something you play. It's the most unreal ninety seconds that will ever happen to you. I am so glad basically every MK game since has featured Baby Park because there is just nothing like it.

ZPJrfOU.png
EDVQxhQ.png
UciMH61.png

Effect Spore, very nice! Those wouldn’t be the tree-wilting spores, would they…?

bfH0fbj.png

And with that, there’s our first team of six for this run! I hope you don’t feel lonesome now, Eagle!

oVJOPCu.png
DohJ03C.png
gXwrSXQ.png

Good advice! Thanks mate!

LcWrweV.png
iCcJPeb.png
RlAzCeD.png
5h5BSsH.png

Back off, mate, Toad is my grumpy wee bioweapon

gGvHwp1.png
5PQaSzF.png
nFoMPwF.png
WsqvwHZ.png
wYVg8EY.png

For future reference, yelling at somebody before you ambush them kinda kneecaps your own surprise attack. Just stab him in the neck without a word like a grown-up, geez

0DgZ20O.png
PXoyEHP.png

Sir im 10

XpEbms0.png
xR64wA7.png
NmHTf4N.png
kAmiXjP.png

Like, it’s hard to tell with most of the sprites being the same height, but the dialogue here confirms that your character is visibly a child. Who a grown-ass businessman decides to hide behind and a pirate decides to attack and everybody is fine with this apparently

pjYYp9v.png
uzGiIuJ.png

Then this happened, like, a lot

R1Fmelo.png

But we got there eventually, and Nemo is ready to fucking ruin Roxanne’s day!

3jufywe.png

You kinda have to love how unabashedly silly they went with the Magma and Aqua grunt designs. Like, this guy is straight up just dressing up and playing pirate. It’s so goofy, I love it

v5RJIVe.png
UGM871E.png
eC07bIh.png

I could always let Siobhan rip your arm off?

s3ypL2v.png
tnacPVi.png

Thanks for telling me about your crimes before you do them! I will inform a police officer as soon as I see one

VGM2ViK.png
h6OzJMk.png
Ghg0CDX.png

Hey, if I’m gonna get press-ganged into fighting crimes, it’s nice to at least get paid for it!

8332y6t.png
LIHsF3p.png
ofIkROv.png

Good, bugger off and leave Toad be

GCoZxsa.png

You sure I need a knife for this? Don’t I have a Pokemon with spores that can wilt trees?

m8m83te.png

Oh yeah, there’s also Slakoth in these woods! I hope I can catch one in a future run, kinda like these goofy wee buggers, and with how terrifying Slaking is to fight it must be pretty interesting to use, terrible ability aside

1Q0YEPM.png

On we go! As a reminder, as I’m going through Route 104 now with a full team, should I lose a team member later, I cannot come back here or any other location I’ve already been through for a new catch, even though I haven’t made a catch here yet. Onwards and forwards!

7ZHWBG3.png
bAHPx1Y.png
IJVcJRG.png
qB1OgVs.png

I know this wee man explains how Bullet Seed works here, I know it’s not an HM or overworld move in any way, but I still always imagine this move as just… giving your Pokemon a gun. My mushroom has a gun now. #PokemonGunConfirmed

LQjLVxp.png
IaBs9DQ.png
NyXulLU.png

This is adorable, but sadly there’s not much I need here since I don’t plan on berry farming.

c2daR1e.png
FEIW4zt.png
uk8cEUn.png

I’ll take this, though, because it’s useful and she’s sweet! Ta!

SviA613.png
bVvbjtU.png

How very polite! Do you use the same hair dye as the Rich Boy on the other side of the forest?

nea4TgY.png
uRK1vWV.png

And after that fight, Jules evolves, so now we know she’s gonna be a Beautifly! Nice! Sorry, moth fans, but I like both Wurmple evos so I'm happy with this!

OrUk33r.png
QzUNMaz.png
xtqPPMT.png

And here we go—the grand debut of double battles! Nobody drags you into a tutorial, you just get jumped by infants and have to figure it out as you go along! Which is easy because it’s pretty straightforward! End tutorials, let folk learn by playing dammit

cNTkYPW.png
lQs4AtJ.png
kadtfgs.png
iTAzmS4.png

Oh! I do know you! You’re a Three Magikarps Guy! Perfect, my mushroom needs to practise with his gun!

6wlWdKh.png

Hey, so long as you’re doing what you love!

o9hgQgI.png

I have not had this much fun splashing in a puddle since I was like 9

22BEDSw.png
O203paz.png

Aaaaand here we are! This seems like a good place to take a break, chill, hug our fuzzier and lonelier Pokemon

Before we go, we all love theorizing about future Pokemon games and what we'd like to see, and that's been going on since as soon as it appeared there was a pattern forming. And while F-Zero isn't the first place I'd look for clues...

s7SN5LS.jpg

...well, maybe it's worth a look. Have you ever gotten into major conspiracy-ass theories about upcoming Pokemon games? What's your favourite rumour about where Secrets May Be Hidden? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

FPFP66

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I am eternally grateful that my main entry to the internet was a niche InuYasha fanfic forum that was primarily populated by nice ladies in their 30s and 40s who taught me the key internet disciplines of Do No Harm Take No Shit, Be Safe Be Secret, and Using The Back Button
There is so much to unpack here and I have so many questions that I may PM you. But I will say this sounds much better than IGN and the Madden forums in 2006-08ish.
God imagine this well-behaved child giving Link an angry telling-off for his wanton property destruction
God bless the middle school classic.
My previous gf was a sailor
your life is far more interesting than mine if you know people who are sailors in 2021.

You actually can buy Pokemon at Game Corners. And TMs and vitamins and other things that can buff up your Pokemon. And also apparently magic hairdye that looks blond close up and brown from far away?
I just hope their dyed hair looks better than when I went blonde in HS. Also, we can say whatever we want about the idea of gambling in games being toxic and dangerous to children, but the buying Pokemon part has only gotten more disturbing as I’ve gotten older.

Effect Spore, very nice! Those wouldn’t be the tree-wilting spores, would they…?
I love Breloom. Back before I went Nuzlocke only, Breloom was a mainstay on any of my teams, especially if I had Treecko, too. If you get Breloom to a high enough level and have it evolve before facing Wattson, that’s almost a guaranteed victory.
with how terrifying Slaking is to fight it must be pretty interesting to use, terrible ability aside
I’ve never loved Slaking in-game only because I think it’s too much of a gimmick Pokemon that needs a TM move (Skill Swap) to be at its best.
as I’m going through Route 104 now with a full team, should I lose a team member later, I cannot come back here or any other location I’ve already been through for a new catch, even though I haven’t made a catch here yet.
Figure I’d remind you now that 104 is the same route on the south side of the forest. So you couldn’t catch anything on the Rustboro side anyway.

i mentioned the Poke Center floor theory earlier but another one I remember was the RSE contests. We thought Pryce, Jasmine, and I think Whitney making cameo appearances in the crowd meant we were destined for a GSC remake in Gen Iv

Users who are viewing this thread