• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Hoenn Teen Commentary Via Memory Lane V: A Sapphire Nostalgialocke

Thread Description
A bright and sunny blast from the past. (Updates Wed-Sat. Part 9: 1/12)

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
<<<Crystal ???>>>
CC5WKZO.png
SkJdASA.png
MP6P1TF.png
SdDOFr3.png
OyvQx9R.png

Preeeeetttyyyyy….

pw9ix1i.png
ims2EPW.png
OtMajdl.png
rZwFxyw.png
RoOjbUi.png

Weird seagulls they have here in Hoenn

CTWlvn6.png
2WDkbOc.png
fsLIaHE.png
xom5Pnz.png
aP381jO.png
I0pxo5h.png
O2lD1Dm.png

Hello, double battle foreshadowing!

k9tYcEg.png

And hello all of you, and welcome to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! This is my fifth run in a series, but you don’t need to have read the previous runs to enjoy this one, I hope! The main thing you need to know is that this is a notepad run where every team member I use is banned for all subsequent runs. So, with some spoilers for previous runs, the current banlist is as follows:

• Pikachu, Pichu and Raichu
  • Rattata and Raticate
  • Mankey and Primeape
  • Nidoran M, Nidorino and Nidoking
  • Caterpie, Metapod and Butterfree
  • Spearow and Fearow
  • Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam
  • Snorlax
  • Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur
  • Pidgey, Pidgeotto and Pidgeot
  • Nidoran F, Nidorina and Nidoqueen
  • Magikarp and Gyarados
  • Paras and Parasect
  • Sandshrew and Sandslash
  • Tyrogue, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop
  • Totodile, Croconaw and Feraligatr
  • Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Victreebel
  • Geodude, Graveler and Golem
  • Mareep, Flaaffy and Ampharos
  • Hoppip, Skiploom and Jumpluff
  • Togepi and Togetic
  • Aipom
  • Ho-oh
  • Swinub and Piloswine
  • Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion
  • Wooper and Quagsire
  • Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume and Bellossom
  • Drowzee and Hypno
  • Weedle, Kakuna and Beedrill
  • Spinarak and Ariados
  • Elekid and Electabuzz
  • Goldeen and Seaking
  • Suicune
  • Tangela
  • Meowth and Persian
  • Venonat and Venomoth
  • Murkrow

Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I got on UK launch day rather than some time later, and I picked Sapphire over Ruby because it was blue and I like blue. Also, as younger kids, my brother and I had played Red and Blue respectively, so we got Ruby and Sapphire respectively. It was a whole thing for half a year, too, us preparing to get these games and a gameboy advance to play them on; Our parents put out a big glass jar that we could put our allowance into every week, and could get more money to put in by doing extra chores like helping with dinner, helping wash the car, stuff like that. I believe our allowance at the time was £2 a week and all the bonus earnings were £1 each, so I vividly remember watching this big jar fill up with all these shiny gold coins, which was very exciting to see. Years later, my mum told me that we’d actually only gotten halfway to the price of the GBA and the games by the time Ruby and Sapphire launched, but we’d worked so hard and been so diligent about saving that she and Dad lied about counting out the money and matched our savings so we could get everything. I do, in retrospect, want to apologize to those Game employees who had to count out all those coins and the notes Mum and Dad secretly slipped them, because after working so hard to save that money my brother and I REFUSED to do any less than carry that jar in and present our payment personally XD

I was 10 when the game came out, about the age when kids are starting to push away things they liked as “too childish” and trying really hard to be more grown up, so Pokemon was waning in popularity in my school, but I was hyperfixated and not putting away the Pokemon any time soon :P I actually haven’t played Gen III in a while, so I’m hella excited to play this game again!

Since it’s a nuzlocke, of course, there are rules:

1. Notepad clause: Catch no more than 6 Pokemon at a time. When there are 6 Pokemon in the party, no more may be captured until or unless one dies.
    1. HM exception: if none of your Pokemon can use an HM required to progress, an HM indentured servant may be captured and remain in the party until the need for it has passed, but should not be used in battle and should ONLY be used for essential game progression.
  2. Catch only the first Pokemon encountered in a new area.
    1. Dupes clause: If a Pokemon has been captured and used before, it may not be used again. This clause extends across runs, and also across evolutionary lines, including branched evolutions.
    2. Mulligan clause: You may have up to three attempts to find a viable Pokemon in a new area, but if you kill your find, your search ends then and there.
    3. Shiny clause: You may catch any surprise shinies regardless of any other rules, but if they are not a legal catch, they may not be used.
    4. Pokeball clause: Any wild encounters prior to beating Brendan for the first time and receiving pokeballs do not count as encounters for catching purposes.
    5. Gift Pokemon may be accepted if they are the first “encounter” in an area and if there is space in the party.
    6. Pinwheel Forest clause: connected areas may be counted as separate areas if they feature different encounters and catch rates. The different areas of the Safari Zone count as separate areas, but all Underwater sections count as one area, even if they're on different routes.
  3. Nickname all catches after a character from a movie, book or TV show that came out the same year as the game and which was also part of your life (2003). Explain yourself.
  4. If a Pokemon’s HP reaches 0, they are dead. Box them at the earliest opportunity.
    1. If the whole party wipes, then that game is failed. Proceed immediately to the next game, but, weighed down by your failure and those of the past, you may not capture any party members in addition to the starter until you have regained your confidence by getting your second badge.
  5. The Exp Share may be used.
  6. Win conditions: Become The Champion (defeat the Pokemon League)

QFhFOYS.png

With all that out of the way, let’s crack on!

NPOcIpI.png
vzJvJ8N.png
GSbHaf1.png

I’m not sure by what metric this title changes hands, but I fully believe Birch could win a fistfight between him, Elm and Oak. He’s not as beefy as his ORAS redesign, but he’s definitely way younger than Oak and more than capable of pushing Elm into a locker

1gv91vT.png

Hi new baby! One of the fun things about Gen III, for me, is that most of the earlygame is almost entirely new Pokemon, so I’m probably not gonna have to deal with being duped out of a team by Pidgey and Rattata right at the beginning

z7RmmSV.png
4HqTJLx.png
T6gLkwG.png

Pokemon are your friends! Your colleagues! Your allies! Your SHIELD-SISTERS

GFzwKVI.png
46d3Ygr.png
dZt7Ubk.png
2Kq395d.png

Science!(tm)

mEfp8Ug.png
U0HfGlt.png
wozKRR7.png
S3l4Efm.png

Ya girl Chu is back \o/ Though having “Marina” there is funny bc ocean god based game

dLmVZWc.png
XBiY559.png
75TnnXk.png
rZC3cl2.png

And so he fades into the darkness, like a ninja in cargo shorts

haKpUVy.png
8s1xAM0.png
ULXsNEc.png
DQCKPPZ.png
dfjryqz.png
A9WF8eh.png

And I am shrunk down, like I’m in That One Episode of every western cartoon where there’s a whole plot reference to The Fantastic Voyage!

Lf0t8uB.png
AuFh0qF.png

Look. Just… put yourself back to the shift from GBC to GBA. Please understand how genuinely wowed I was to see these boxes moving on top of each other, and overlapping over me, in a 2D environment. This game was already wowing me with how good it looked, and also was the subject of many jokes for my brother and I in later years when we were each moving to and from flats in university and occasionally rode in the back of dad’s van with our stuff.

CmF11YX.png
E9nFtBK.png
euElH8N.png
0X6SDNu.png
LUlKuZP.png

In general, this is a cute introduction to a new region, though I think the idea of "you've just moved here!" does get overused slightly in later games.

hu2TRtH.png
7jYljA2.png
wxaffvG.png
jR0Tnf2.png

Dead right, mum, this place is cute as fuck!

BE69ask.png
9FF81TA.png

Also, I get that Hoenn is based on the southernmost Main Island of Japan, Kyūshū, but I used to sometimes trek out to visit a friend who lived in Ibaraki in a house that looked exactly like this. Also, to anyone wondering why the only-child protagonist didn’t have their own room, I believe the implication is that your family used to live in one of the bigger cities in Johto, and a lot of city flats in places like Tokyo either don’t have separate bedrooms, or only have one bedroom (real estate in Tokyo is HELLA expensive and a young family might not be able to afford more), and if there’s only one bedroom, it’s liable to go to the parents (or grandparents, if they live with the family) and the child either sets up their futon in the main room at night, or shares a room with the grandparents.

DR06PnX.png
7xremLq.png
oKjImHs.png

I don’t have pokeballs yet so I guess I won’t go fight those Machoke

NUhmWKS.png
P0re7Es.png
H85Y6lP.png

Setting the clock mainly functions to track days in Gen III rather than time of day, because, to my continuing frustration, time of day was removed in Gen III. It’s Always Sunny In Hoenn!

iV2EOaN.png
DOb19He.png

Sir I came to check that you’re unionized and you smash a cardboard box in my face, this is unprofessional

Yy4xVhD.png
YPmKH5q.png
icUNIo2.png

Gamecuuuuube! God, what a cracking console that was. Had some absolute top-tier games, and a nifty handle that made it portable and an effective bludgeoning weapon if necessary, because I think this was still back when Nintendo would throw prototypes out of high windows and go with the one that still worked, because they knew what kids were like

Ql7MzHw.png
INZGmmV.png

What, you’re not gonna vaguely allude to Titanic or some other movie that takes place mostly on water?

OJNNrmf.png
G5CW8ch.png
AOtI5DY.png

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

XexTd4b.png
Qve4T9p.png

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EVZe846.png
MCeLx64.png
mVEPaAm.png

Setting the clock summons your mother, and is also the only way out of the room, like your own bedroom is an escape room

vw5Ne0l.png
ri1nuW8.png
MhuN0RM.png

But are they being fairly compensated for their labour? I dunno, Mum, those guys didn’t look like they were from Hoenn. They might be being exploited.

GU0zROM.png
bJRdflt.png
XA6bWQH.png
BytcolF.png
Yp4PBN3.png

The biggest plot twist in the game hits you right here: you have a visible father! Holy shit! Your mum isn’t a hardworking single mother! Will wonders never cease? I mean, they will immediately after these games, but anyway

xNJhWIV.png
WsUt4fT.png
t7AaLPl.png
5t0Lo2v.png

Moving into the same neighbourhood as your parents’ mates, huh? Fair enough!

9gi6qqY.png
RIePGoz.png

I agree! That technology is amazing!

klkAL0f.png
bEBH3Q0.png
l2vmBxI.png

It’s really not that long a name ma’am

RYMIYOf.png
IL0JPOb.png
ydoC2F6.png
M3AQooc.png

Does he have a name, perhaps? Or am I misunderstanding you and his name is Orson?

P1B6rA7.png
SHNs9od.png
odPxR2Q.png
UBn6F6e.png

I see how this might appear odd, seeing as I’ve just walked into your room like I own the place, but in my defense, you don’t have a door for me to knock

LWGrxwk.png
2Xqq8Cn.png
th4cbun.png
0mmq0CP.png
Cu7lcQ3.png

You’ve already lost significant points in my book, pal, both for the sexism and for having the temerity to not be nameable. How can I continue my eternal war against Max if I can't summon him down to Hoenn?

aYJ0JE8.png
qn44R7s.png
3p40AAv.png
bHD9AKc.png
xSy9VKA.png
PxJ7sh2.png

So should I—oh you’re just leaving me in your room unsupervised? The kid you just met?

s8dE6xy.png

Time to spy on his emails!

CHmHILL.png
cljSOIT.png
nbgr8mq.png

I’m not sure how well I test for the timeless strategy of “four damaging moves of different types”, but luckily I don’t need any sort of qualifications to go do what I like with Pokemon!

fBM8DUq.png
RznaMVh.png
PSgs2Ck.png

It’s alright, ma’am, I did drop in unannounced. I’ll just head off to that next plot point now.

HWMljhu.png
LZb2YN0.png
UOMDOBh.png

Oh, I think I see how my dad and Professor Birch became friends: they’re both absentee fathers who are never fucking home!

UXSAhir.png
GE1dS7z.png
a9Au9CJ.png
UpbLmLA.png

What are you, a new intern? You don’t have to explain fieldwork. Or use the word “ergo” just because you can.

lYjLPSA.png
viFODQ9.png

This is also the natural habitat of children, and the reason that children are natural scientists until industrialized schooling beats it out of them

ytysAvt.png
SNp81GC.png
mZt8gel.png

Valid, though you do need to do both field and lab work. Hard to keep samples sterile in a field, y’know?

OGo5kIo.png
HXQXOAg.png

I can’t believe I’m playing a coward

s9VCSl0.png
rBdkryv.png

Dear god this child is tiny… wait, are you the kid from the Hoenn anime?

o5zid4j.png
ol2TDt0.png
KofNrG8.png
x1N6G96.png

Hey, Professor! How’s experiencing things in the field going?

JtOaPpK.png

Hell yeah, here we GO

oWJVJrr.png

Torchic is my fav starter, and in fact who I picked the first time I played Sapphire, but they’re my first pick for every Hoenn game, and I have a chromatic plan for the three Hoenn games I will ideally be playing if I can keep this series going.

xc9dZBH.png

Poor Treecko is in the same place as Chikorita, where I think they’re an excellent Pokemon, I just happen to prefer their colleagues

YJzESBp.png
mCw7CZI.png

In the Sapphire run, it only feels appropriate to pick the wean in blue!

o7QLBlz.png

PUPPY!!!!!

sm9QiQU.png
kNSz38y.png
TV6WAl5.png

Bye puppy ;_;

jCu1NKP.png
eYQDN99.png

Did nobody ever tell you that wild Pokemon live in tall grass???

TvTzpQy.png
OnFWaq4.png
K8kbD8C.png
Olh8St1.png

Sure, sounds good, I’ll be over about—

sicvy3E.png

Oh god okay right now apparently!!!

gzwo0rr.png
Bg0hJSH.png
4VkaFrh.png
WhBKGUe.png
zptvyLK.png

Oh, cool! I mean, you weren’t getting him back anyway, but thanks!

KfxPvAZ.png
7xRjLQT.png
XeV8TOX.png

Is this a reference to Pixar’s piscine classic, Finding Nemo, or the movie adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, featuring Captain Nemo and also a scene with a vampiric Mina Harker killing a bunch of dudes and then licking blood off her face in a way I remember far better than literally any other part of the movie? Who knows!

for4DwJ.png
Z1QZsj9.png
FDyctb8.png
ghgnlGE.png
SrSaa4V.png
ALDKMoU.png

Hey, at least he knows his son’s name

nlAfQ7c.png

Completely unique menu sprites for each Pokemon debuted in Gen III, and I love all of them but especially Mudkip. BABBY YELL

vbTP4L7.png
wlWbzaX.png
KpQo4NS.png

Here he is!! It’s my boy! Displaying the all-new Abilities, Natures and Contest Stats, though I’m not going to do contests in this run (but I might in the Emerald run, for flavour? What do you think?). Gosh, isn’t he so adorable? You know, I really liek—

This is Chu’s next of kin. Tragically, she was taken out by sniper before finishing this update, but I thought I’d post it anyway out of respect for her memory. Thanks for reading. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go through the rest of her papers. None of you know what she meant by scribbling about a “dark baa-aaa-aargain”, do you?

Last edited:

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
It’s Always Sunny In Hoenn!
The Pack (of Poochyena) Terrorize a Professor

But genuinely though, Hoenn really does make a solid first impression-- not just visually, but with the things it changes up compared to the last two games (you actually have a presentish father figure! you get your starter by leaping into action and helping the professor instead of being given the Starter first! your rival has an identity and personality beyond being the asshole you name a swear!) It's really fun to see.

Anyways, Nemo's a good boy, and while that Careful nature is. kind of a hamper right now, it should pay off a lot when you start getting Ground STAB.

i'd recommend against doing contests in Emerald, though, as there is literally 1 Contest Hall and it's in the city with the shopping mall for the region, when you're already 6/8 badges through and near the base infiltration stage of the Evil Teams Plot. You'd be better off doing it in Ruby, Sapphire, or their Remakes.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
sapphire!!!!!! aaaaaaa hoenn....my homeplace....i am SUPER excited to see you do ruby later, that was my very first pokemon game ever, and the whole trio of games and the remakes never fail to inspire happiness in me

" throw prototypes out of high windows and go with the one that still worked, because they knew what kids were like"
i still vividly remember the sheer horror i felt when i realized i'd left my gameboy s.p. on the top of my family's car before we left to go meet our grandparents for dinner. i got home and that little shit had survived both tumbling into the street from 4 feet up, and possibly getting run over a bit. just a little dinged up and still worked like a charm. wish my phone was like that...wish my switch was like that

mudkip is GOOD, but my favorite is also torchic.

every day i think about birch getting bullied by a puppy. also every day i think about how my sister overwrote my pre-e4 team save by accident, but after apologizing started swearing up, down, and sideways that birch got bullied by a gold puppy. which i was certain was not possible and told her to stop lying to distract me from how mad baby me was about losing my first starter.

oh how the turn tables. when we found out that shinies really ARE a thing....egg on my face. a bit.

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
The only seagulls I ever want to track down
so we got Ruby and Sapphire respectively
Part I of FP’s classic RSE/FRLG stories:

I have no idea when the timeline really was, but I know, like I said, Gold was my first and I think that was either in late 2003 or very early 2004. Either a great grandparent or an extended family member bought me new copies of Ruby AND Sapphire, and I can’t remember who it was or why I got both. My sister was too young to be playing (and I don’t think she ever got into Pokémon, although I wouldn’t be shocked if she’s now emulating games) so it wouldn’t have been for her….or would it?

Anyway, I, like you, went with Mudkip first. I probably named it after myself, meaning Brendan and Mudkip each shared my name. Idiot.
One of the fun things about Gen III, for me, is that most of the earlygame is almost entirely new Pokemon, so I’m probably not gonna have to deal with being duped out of a team by Pidgey and Rattata right at the beginning
I can’t stand Poochyena, but I am here for Zigzagoon the HM Slave, Ralts, Lotad the best boy.
Science!(tm)
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒔𝒄𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈
Though having “Marina” there is funny bc ocean god based game
I’ve played Gen III so many times that I still know Ruby had LANDon and Sapphire had SEAn as character names for Brendan. Help me.
In general, this is a cute introduction to a new region, though I think the idea of "you've just moved here!" does get overused slightly in later games.
We’ve never figured out though how they managed to drive a truck in Gen 3 Hoenn, though. I’m gonna assume they took a boat to Slateport and then drove? But how would that work?
the child either sets up their futon in the main room at night, or shares a room with the grandparents.
At least it’s not the 8-person bed from Willy Wonka.
I mean, they will immediately after these games, but anyway
Not for 𝔹𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕋𝕨𝕚𝕟𝕜!
This is also the natural habitat of children, and the reason that children are natural scientists until industrialized schooling beats it out of them
I hope standardized testing dies a death of a million paper cuts and one precise kick to the groin. The current education system is awful. I don’t know what the fix is but holy shit it’s bad.
if I can keep this series going.
“If!” You mean when. You’re keeping this going until someone says otherwise.

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
P1B6rA7.png
SHNs9od.png
odPxR2Q.png
UBn6F6e.png

I see how this might appear odd, seeing as I’ve just walked into your room like I own the place, but in my defense, you don’t have a door for me to knock
For the record, the protocol in that case is to knock on the door frame.

You know, the player character in Pokémon only living with their mom is actually something I like. Even here where dad is nearby he still lives separately due to work.
It's something that I can relate to. I've had a non-standard family structure growing up and it's comforting when media protagonists have something similar.

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
She's doing it, the absolute madwoman! A THIRD generation of nostalgia! Iconic!

(Title of reply is reference to American founding mythology regarding Paul Revere; it's unimportant)

Win conditions: Become The Champion (defeat the Pokemon League)
I was about to ask if you were going to fight Steven at all, but, um... oh yeah.

I vividly remember watching this big jar fill up with all these shiny gold coins
To have the basic unit of currency be coins rather than bills! It makes this saving all the more exciting. Though, when I was saving up for my 'cube, I was collecting surprising amounts of it in quarters rather than dollars+. [As a small small child, one of my favorite educational activities was first sorting and then, as I got older, counting coins. Imagine my horror when I learned what capitalism used my little coins for]

Years later, my mum told me that we’d actually only gotten halfway to the price of the GBA and the games by the time Ruby and Sapphire launched, but we’d worked so hard and been so diligent about saving that she and Dad lied about counting out the money and matched our savings so we could get everything
Ah yes. When I was saving for the aforementioned 'cube, the time came that my parents decided I had done enough. One Easter morning, the Easter Bunny brought me a note explaining that he wanted to give me a Gamecube (which was way beyond the norm of the usual "bit of candy" that the day usually brought), but that he and Mrs. The Easter Bunny had, as rabbits do, so many mouths to feed that he needed my help to pay for it. I was overjoyed and dumped out and counted the seventy or hundred dollars he demanded. I had no money left to my name, but I had a 'cube and I had Wind Waker.

I am horrified to see you living in the LEFT house. Is that a gender thing or a version thing? I pretty much play male characters unless it's a game with a sword, because my primary fantasy character is paladin heroine.

Sir I came to check that you’re unionized and you smash a cardboard box in my face, this is unprofessional
It's a shame, but workers have been successfully propagandized to believe they don't need unions, and it hurts.

But are they being fairly compensated for their labour? I dunno, Mum, those guys didn’t look like they were from Hoenn. They might be being exploited.
Quick, slip them an IWW pamphlet!

You’ve already lost significant points in my book, pal, both for the sexism and for having the temerity to not be nameable. How can I continue my eternal war against Max if I can't summon him down to Hoenn?
Ew! Having always played Brendan, I never new he was such a gross. Please destroy him.

Is this a reference to Pixar’s piscine classic, Finding Nemo, or the movie adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, featuring Captain Nemo and also a scene with a vampiric Mina Harker killing a bunch of dudes and then licking blood off her face in a way I remember far better than literally any other part of the movie? Who knows!
The queer experience exemplified: hearing someone reference League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and having immediate realizations regarding why that part where Dorian Gray gets riddles with bullets, and then opens his shirt to reveal he's functionally immortal was so cool to your 9 year old self.

(but I might in the Emerald run, for flavour? What do you think?)
I hate contests because I tried one and lost and therefore they're bad and stupid. I never went back.

I hope standardized testing dies a death of a million paper cuts and one precise kick to the groin.
As a teacher, I agree. Almost all testing should go, at least the way we do it. Assessment is helpful. Ranking of students is bad. Homework is also mostly bad.

But as a kid who loved the ACT and SAT and PSAT and GRE and all those things, can we please keep them as fun things on the side for nerdkids? Those were some of the most enjoyable activities of my educational career.

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
As a teacher, I agree. Almost all testing should go, at least the way we do it. Assessment is helpful. Ranking of students is bad. Homework is also mostly bad.
I went to a private school where we had only one standardized test every school year, and I turned out fine. I actually turned out better, because it was a pretty good test (ERB) and we got to do actually interesting things with our school time. As I would discover later in college, the extremely small class size was also good (on average, between 8-12 students per class.)

It was a really good school. Wish it had a high school, and that more places were like it.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
Ahhh, Hoenn, my beloved!! I fondly recall the days before it released, wanting Torchic as my starter as it was the cutest little guy I've ever seen... and god, I still adore this region. The music, the locations, the Pokemon.... I'm ready as ever for another journey with Chu!

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
It's time.
BigheartedMeekGopher-max-1mb.gif

The mental image of the professors throwing hands over ownership of the title is hilarious. Poor little old Magnolia gets body slammed by Kukui and that's why her granddaughter has to take over for her, she just straight up dies on impact. Rip to her lmao

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Ah, yes, Sapphire. It was also my first Pokemon game. I remember many days of me sitting in my room with my lights on in the middle of the day because my GBA was old and it didn't have a backlight. I loved the game so much, despite that. I remember that my starter was a Torchic that I named Bailey, and he was the only Pokemon I ever trained. He was lv 50 by the time I got to Fortree gym, but I couldn't beat Winona because of that damn Altaria. By the time I got to Emerald, I'd learned what team building was, and I'd even gotten myself a Flygon in that run. Sadly, that copy of Emerald has gone missing, so I started a nuzlocke run on my other copy of Emerald. Hoenn is my childhood. (I also played ORAS a lot when those came out, I remember being so excited when they got announced, because oh my god it's my favourite game but in 3D!)

silvertongue

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 29, 2021
Hi! Forum newbie here! Just wanted to say I enjoyed your silly commentary so much I went back and read your previous runs. I love little babby Nemo! Good luck!

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Woo, we're on to Gen III! Admittedly, it hasn't aged that well for me, but I still have to acknowledge the huge contributions it made to the franchise, like the introduction of backgrounds in battle, the modern EV/IV system, and giving natures and abilities to Pokémon.

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
I don’t know if you highlighted the Kitten Cannon bit out of agreement or curiosity, but either way, it’s probably a good thing if that game is a casualty of the end of Flash :v
I thiiiiink that I was going to say that the idea of Amelia launching Zap Cannon out of her mouth is very cool, unlike whatever Kitten Cannon was. Because even if I never encountered it personally, I remember that era of the internet well enough that I can picture the edginess pretty accurately, I think.

Beldam has proved herself a worthy heir to Kristy’s legacy! This series is really making me love the versatility of bugs as much as I hate the power of fighting-types XD
Yeah, the Notepad rules are really giving the early-game bugs a chance to shine, which has been very cool!

I’m still deciding about how to post the oneshot on AO3, but thank you so much for leaving comments here, they spark so much joy :D
Very glad that I decided to comment here, then!

This oneshot is running on an inverse of the Roger Rabbit rules for the screenshot runs; whatever is true depends on what’s saddest at any given moment XP Which is why the fact that the Suicune is named Sonic is conspicuously left out; there’s no way that wouldn’t be a mood-killer XD
lol yeah, definitely the best way to do it.

CC5WKZO.png
SkJdASA.png
MP6P1TF.png
SdDOFr3.png
OyvQx9R.png

Preeeeetttyyyyy….
It really is! The opening and end credits of the Hoenn games are both a lot of fun--and showing off the shiny new GBA graphics, I'm guessing. Butthis moment of the water dripping is just so peaceful before jumping into the action... It's really nice.

rZwFxyw.png
RoOjbUi.png

Haha

Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I got on UK launch day rather than some time later, and I picked Sapphire over Ruby because it was blue and I like blue.
Hell yeah, colour blue! I'm glad that you and your brother were able to participate in the launch of these games without any waiting.

It was a whole thing for half a year, too, us preparing to get these games and a gameboy advance to play them on; Our parents put out a big glass jar that we could put our allowance into every week, and could get more money to put in by doing extra chores like helping with dinner, helping wash the car, stuff like that. I believe our allowance at the time was £2 a week and all the bonus earnings were £1 each, so I vividly remember watching this big jar fill up with all these shiny gold coins, which was very exciting to see. Years later, my mum told me that we’d actually only gotten halfway to the price of the GBA and the games by the time Ruby and Sapphire launched, but we’d worked so hard and been so diligent about saving that she and Dad lied about counting out the money and matched our savings so we could get everything
Oh, that was a good idea on your parents' part, having you two save up for it. Getting you to earn it definitely seems like it provided a more exciting and significant experience for you and your brother! And bless them for paying for the rest rather than just letting your efforts fail. A+ parenting move!

I do, in retrospect, want to apologize to those Game employees who had to count out all those coins and the notes Mum and Dad secretly slipped them, because after working so hard to save that money my brother and I REFUSED to do any less than carry that jar in and present our payment personally XD
Aww. You were so excited! That's sweet. Hopefully the employee likes kids and didn't mind too much.

Pokemon are your friends! Your colleagues! Your allies! Your SHIELD-SISTERS
haha

And so he fades into the darkness, like a ninja in cargo shorts
hahahaha

Look. Just… put yourself back to the shift from GBC to GBA. Please understand how genuinely wowed I was to see these boxes moving on top of each other, and overlapping over me, in a 2D environment. This game was already wowing me with how good it looked, and also was the subject of many jokes for my brother and I in later years when we were each moving to and from flats in university and occasionally rode in the back of dad’s van with our stuff.
Completely agree about the increase in graphical quality, but huh. I didn't know that riding in the back of a moving van like that was a real thing and not something they made up for this game for some reason. That's neat!

Also, I get that Hoenn is based on the southernmost Main Island of Japan, Kyūshū, but I used to sometimes trek out to visit a friend who lived in Ibaraki in a house that looked exactly like this. Also, to anyone wondering why the only-child protagonist didn’t have their own room, I believe the implication is that your family used to live in one of the bigger cities in Johto, and a lot of city flats in places like Tokyo either don’t have separate bedrooms, or only have one bedroom (real estate in Tokyo is HELLA expensive and a young family might not be able to afford more), and if there’s only one bedroom, it’s liable to go to the parents (or grandparents, if they live with the family) and the child either sets up their futon in the main room at night, or shares a room with the grandparents.
Ah, interesting! Makes sense, given the population of Japan versus the actual physical size of the country. This is a refreshing counterpoint to the "your mom doesn't have a bedroom" jokes. Funny which things actually make sense in the culture where the story originated!

I don’t have pokeballs yet so I guess I won’t go fight those Machoke
Square up and do it anyway! Get that practice in for when Pokémon Legends: Arceus comes out!

iV2EOaN.png
DOb19He.png

haha

Gamecuuuuube! God, what a cracking console that was. Had some absolute top-tier games, and a nifty handle that made it portable and an effective bludgeoning weapon if necessary, because I think this was still back when Nintendo would throw prototypes out of high windows and go with the one that still worked, because they knew what kids were like
Yeah, I think I have a fuzzy memory from my childhood of someone on TV "testing" a GameCube versus other consoles by doing stuff like running it over with a car or hitting it with a hammer and it just kept on chugging. Not a typical requirement for a console, but you really have to respect that indestructability.

XexTd4b.png
Qve4T9p.png

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
That's what I say when I get the chance to nap, too!

EVZe846.png
MCeLx64.png
mVEPaAm.png

Setting the clock summons your mother, and is also the only way out of the room, like your own bedroom is an escape room
Love that metaphor for video game railroading. Like an escape room! Neat way of thinking about it.

The biggest plot twist in the game hits you right here: you have a visible father! Holy shit! Your mum isn’t a hardworking single mother! Will wonders never cease? I mean, they will immediately after these games, but anyway
RS was, more than any other set of games, all about debuting new game mechanics. Too bad they walked the father one back. Almost as disappointing as the walking Pokémon thing.

It's just such an unnecessarily shitty thing to have him say! That always gets me! Why? But I didn't even think about the implications of the lack of Max! If you continue this series past Gen IV he's just going to disappear forever!

Oh, I think I see how my dad and Professor Birch became friends: they’re both absentee fathers who are never fucking home!
Oof.

OGo5kIo.png
HXQXOAg.png

I can’t believe I’m playing a coward
That's what you get for not fighting the Machoke.

s9VCSl0.png
rBdkryv.png

Dear god this child is tiny… wait, are you the kid from the Hoenn anime?
Oh, I like the idea that anime!Max (not to be confused with rival!Max, of course) was inspired by this random child NPC. They both have the blue hair and everything!

x1N6G96.png

Hey, Professor! How’s experiencing things in the field going?
hahaha

oWJVJrr.png

Torchic is my fav starter, and in fact who I picked the first time I played Sapphire, but they’re my first pick for every Hoenn game, and I have a chromatic plan for the three Hoenn games I will ideally be playing if I can keep this series going.
Matching the starter colour with the game colour? That's fun!

YJzESBp.png
mCw7CZI.png

In the Sapphire run, it only feels appropriate to pick the wean in blue!
Aww. I'm not surprised that Torchic was your favourite in childhood as well as now, but Swampert are hella sturdy, in my experience, so I hope this lil guy serves you well!

(Torchic was my younger sibling's favourite Hoenn starter when we were kids, as well. Mine was actually Mudkip--sibling and I always had different faves, for some reason--and in my adulthood it's Treecko, because Treecko's cool. But I absolutely approve of all three Hoenn starters, like you said about Treecko, and I have really come to respect how absolutely badass Blaziken is after seeing it used in so many nuzlockes. It's pretty useful in PoGo as well.)

jCu1NKP.png
eYQDN99.png

Did nobody ever tell you that wild Pokemon live in tall grass???
Rather than just telling you about the dangers of the tall grass, he demonstrated it for you! What a responsible professor.

Sure, sounds good, I’ll be over about—

sicvy3E.png

Oh god okay right now apparently!!!
Hahahaha. Pretty reasonable reaction to experiencing a jump cut in real life.

It's a good name either way!

nlAfQ7c.png

Completely unique menu sprites for each Pokemon debuted in Gen III, and I love all of them but especially Mudkip. BABBY YELL
Yeah, the unique menu and box sprites are much appreciated. Never really looked at this one before. It's cute!

Gosh, isn’t he so adorable? You know, I really liek—
This is Chu’s next of kin. Tragically, she was taken out by sniper before finishing this update, but I thought I’d post it anyway out of respect for her memory.
Sobering. Killed by a meme gone bad: the fate that awaits us all, one day.

But hey, what does this mean for the run? There's nothing in the rules saying that the run fails if the Trainer dies. Perhaps Nemo will strike out on his own? I sense a heartwarming story about overcoming adversity!

None of you know what she meant by scribbling about a “dark baa-aaa-aargain”, do you?
Don't worry about it. They can't get to Hoenn; hardware incompatibilities and all that.

Last edited:

Erosaf

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Okay why haven't I seen this before? This was quite fun to read and makes the nuzlocke interesting, seeing your reactions to different things that are said by characters!
Note to self: go find the kanto and johto ones as they're bound to be just as good.

I agree, Torchic is usually my first choice here too, since he kicks a lot of trainers butts.

They did over use the "you just moved here" theme at the start in furture games yes...

Hello Nemo!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura I still remember fondly how shiny and exciting these Gen III games were to play for the first time—all sorts of cool new stuff was happening, and it all looked SO PRETTY <3
Oh man, I forgot about the Battle Tents in Emerald… I didn’t do the contests in this run, but I probably will do them in Emerald, if mostly offscreen, because I actually really like the Contests in Gen III, whereas I never really got into stuff like the musicals XP

@bhelryss welcome home!!! I’m afraid I will not be playing Ruby in this series, but if I can keep it going… ;)
That SP was made of finest Nintendium! My Gameboy Colour was definitely run over by a car and it’s still kicking XD When my brother and I first got a Nintendo DS, he dropped it down the stairs once and a hinge snapped, we were SO horrified and disappointed that a Nintendo product would break so easily… been all downhill since there 😔
God if I’d ever seen Birch getting menaced by a SHINY Poochyena that I couldn’t catch, I would have been FURIOUS, almost as bad as Wally landing a shiny Ralts (which can happen! But it’s not shiny in subsequent battles XP)

@FPFP66 lucky bugger, getting both! I just got my brother’s Ruby after he drifted away from Pokemon… of course, now I emulate everything :v
For the moving, I assume they took a boat to Hoenn and the moving truck picked them up from there… but I have no idea where the hell the roads are in Hoenn XD
I mean, from the perspective of a teacher, the major fixes would smaller class sizes so it’s easier for teachers to focus on their students’ individual needs, increased funding that isn’t tied to test scores, and the abolition of standardized tests and replacing them with teacher assessments based on the students’ performance throughout the year. Unfortunately all of these would be major structural changes that cost money and schools are not major profit generators, so if anybody’s gonna do it it sure as shit isn’t gonna be the UK’s tory government XP

@Time Master Eon I do think it’s sweet that most Pokemon protagonists don’t have a typical nuclear family setup; I’m glad it made you feel seen, and I’m sure it did the same for lots of kids with single parents or distant parents!

@Lumaeus only the heat death of the universe can stop me talking about how much I love Pokemon, and then only maybe
What does it say about me that I know the “one if by sea, two if by land” thing but only because of the Marx Brothers movie Duck Soup
To this day my preferred method of saving would absolutely be just collecting coins in a jar until I had enough for what I wanted, but now all the money is digital and intangible and stresssssssful
Okay, your parents bringing the Easter Bunny into it is adorable, I love when parents encourage good habits in their children in magical and fun ways :D
I think which house you’re in must be a gender thing, for some reason, because I’ve always played as a girl and always been in the stage left house! Strange discoveries XD
Now I’m curious about what May is like as a rival? Literally never played that way so I have honestly no clue XD
Like I honestly can’t remember if League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was even a good movie, I just remember it being fun and clearly a universally queer experience XD
Like, it's been proven repeatedly that teachers assessing a student’s performance over the course of the academic year is FAR more effective and accurate than test scores, but I can’t deny that it can be fun to do a test good and get a certification for it XP I don’t think it’d be a bad thing to keep stuff like that, but as optional only, you know?

@Electro Man, your school sounds SO much better than mine, I agree that more should be like that—the small class sizes in particular are SO important for allowing teachers to tailor things to their students’ needs and interests!

@Nebbles Welcome back to Hoenn! I do love my wee fire chick, but there’s really no bad option in Hoenn :D

@Garnet DOOT DOOT MOTHAFUCKAS
The thing about Sonia taking over is that I actually do think she could kick ass to avenge her grandmother? She absolutely gives off the vibes that she could easily put the boot in on dudes twice her size… the main challenge, I think, in this Professorbowl, would be Rowan. Just because the dude’s old does not mean he’s crumbling, you know?

@Kit_The_Feef I never had a GBA with a backlight… actually, I don’t think the DS had a backlight either? The first backlit device I had was the 3DS :v Kanto will always be my hometown, but welcome home to you!

@silvertongue eyyy, welcome to the forums! I’m so glad you’re enjoying reading these silly wee things so much!

@QuietGuardian Hoenn added so many important mechanics, and it’s also so damn pretty, I’m glad to be back!

@songwithnosoul In retrospect, I want to apologize to that Game employee, but I’m sure kids with coins who are excited about Pokemon is a nice change from Call of Duty bros XP
I mean, I don’t think riding in the back of a moving van is something you’re legally supposed to do, but depending on how many people are gonna be involved… sometimes it feels like more of a waste to have somebody following behind in a second car, y’know? :v
One of the things I remember loving when I first got into anime and manga was looking up stuff I didn’t understand (why do all these series have a magic princess called Kaguya? Why are these characters always talking about entrance exams?) and learning something new as a result of wanting to understand the story better. Fiction can be a great jumping-off point for learning about other cultures, since it gives you something to connect the things you’re learning to, and it’s fun to get context for a story you like! …but, y’know, you got to put the effort in to do that, and you will have to deal with a lot of people in your fandom Not Doing That XP
I feel like I’ve seen the same thing about a Gamecube getting put through the wringer to test it? I feel like that was either Brainiac or Mythbusters—I think one of them also tested an original Gameboy because of the story of the Gulf War Gameboy making the rounds again. Nintendo really knew what the people want back in the day…
It would actually be hilariously appropriate for Rival Max to disappear after HGSS, since those are the last Pokemon games that IRL Max played, to my knowledge, and our rivalry there ended :v
Man now I really want Legends: Rayquaza or something, where you also start the game by seeing a local getting attacked by a Poochyena, but instead of fighting it with a Pokemon you just get to dropkick it :v
I do hold fondness in my heart for the funky sprites of Gens I-II, but it’s definitely more useful to just be able to, like… see your team XP

@Erosaf there’s links to the previous runs in the top post on this thread, and in the masterpost link in my sig! Enjoy!

Hello and welcome back to my Sapphire nostalgialocke! Last time we arrived in Hoenn, picked up a Mudkip and then there’s an odd gap in my memory, not sure what that’s about but I’m sure it’s fine. This time…

F0S0uRD.png

ZbCVWvJ.png
axFUExZ.png

Well, I’m glad he spends time with his kid, at least, but I wonder if he ever did before Brendan was old enough to hit the field with him

KjZhn3j.png

Right, time to hit the trail! I can’t get pokeballs yet, so no encounters count yet, but soon...

U4tHnwd.png

I do question these little starter towns that apparently have no facilities of their own and the only town with shops is a footpath full of wild animals away, but on the other hand level 2 Poochyena aren’t that threatening, Professor Birch is just a lil bitch

mhDRc0L.png
Jhus2EP.png
TQEecDv.png

Is there a potion in it for me?

vsRsj1E.png
D1bK8Vn.png
yxbVmnM.png
oRdxqWb.png

There is! Nifty!

1d1UKLC.png
YKxrMlE.png
f2VMLHB.png

No pokeballs yet, though, sadly

UxUjH1u.png

How very meta of you!

PV6vuk2.png
BjqQQuw.png
LJ7OL7C.png

Dr Footprint? I thought you lived in Sinnoh?

vCXyG7o.png

Right, heading up here then!

Dzkhjgi.png
m1BGxIb.png
F9MuxLc.png

Hey, it’s you! The one inadequate to serve as the vessel of Max, my Eternal Rival! Gies some pokeballs

tVadE6y.png
wwI8OEl.png
LQTDH9p.png

I mean, somebody’s about to get schooled here, that’s for sure

GL5v8Uv.png
SxqhXwb.png
1rhauMT.png
nsVmmtO.png
JXcG7U8.png

We all know how this goes

W4ilJeM.png
gNVi84v.png

Nice

oLqVKk5.png

I just imagined the wee man playing happily in the mud and my heart overflowed with love

mvqkwJB.png
V84civh.png
3h19Vra.png

He just met me! What has my dad been telling him?!

sX4xQPe.png
1rTimIn.png
wcCA8Ob.png

We better get pokeballs there, I have local babies I wish to acquire

q0CYbSZ.png
xyuLkI3.png
BeOkLet.png

In which I am amused by simple things, like being able to see the door of a building opening and closing when I go through it

VIG7fc0.png
xKawXBJ.png
9kJIDNy.png

I GET it, Mr Signpost, I’m GOING!

nGBnu7F.png
PoD3t8I.png
5Jy3Z1z.png

Hmmm. Big fan of your son getting his ass kicked, are you?

c9sO4os.png
H13FfBq.png
NAKOPOb.png
D67Jzxs.png
Tdfsqvk.png

If you’re pointedly giving this to me over your son who, you just pointed out, has more experience and has been helping you for years, I swear to god—

x3KdPku.png
3URQFnL.png
dEM4kkL.png

Oh, okay, he’s already got one. Cool.

KtzLZio.png
EeGn6u9.png

Okay, that’s adorable

BukohBV.png
jtBxBu7.png
2VTjk5i.png

THANK you! Finally! A Zigzagoon’s not gonna catch itself, you know!

prBF0hA.png
4G7iets.png
Fb19SWU.png

Yep! By the way, I know we just moved in, but I’m outta here! Bye!

KXNw7a1.png
rWkEr2i.png
1FQjBG7.png
3hc9YZx.png

HELL YEAH! Time to nyoom!

LpyirEB.png
vyjFLF5.png
dOCc44e.png

Can everyone in Hoenn see through the fourth wall?! Or is my mum just speaking in tongues here? “Mother what the fuck is a B button”

nyveKbG.png
V17wqzU.png
dAuihhv.png

Enough to be home, ever?

5JIGUi7.png
4Ajl31T.png
yJutrrf.png

Sure, Mum Q_Q

TXB7j1u.png
L48zbms.png

Alrighty, first catch time! Always an exciting time!

piwxNFW.png
h77y1QV.png

Hello little lady! Oh god she’s so cuuuuuuute ❤️

0TLssiO.png
gnuEJ1y.png

Yyyyeah, I’m not gonna risk attacking her, I’m just gonna…

VThGBq1.png
Z0T9rch.png
2IvDahE.png

Yooooooooo! Though, as an aside, I am annoyed that, along with the day-night cycle, Ruby/Sapphire also abandoned animated sprites. I wanna see the lil worm dance Q_Q

VXrRaqy.png

Look I do not remember a goddamn thing about Bend It Like Beckham other than a) that for whatever fucking reason we watched it in school and then used it as the basis for a creative writing task, which was to try writing the script for one of the scenes, which I won a wee prize for, and b) how Keira Knightly looked in it, which has hung around in my head for all time and proves that I am example of the Keira Knightly model of homosexual development. Also, something something metaphor something something coming out something something metamorphosis

rAw83W2.png
uc4uJ54.png
IlPs6wa.png

I don’t know which natures correspond to which stats and I refuse to learn, I am just going to take joy in her being jolly because it’s adorable

HhUxk0J.png
rC2nKma.png

Just pop up north again for a second catch…

3bzTREb.png

PUPPY!!! HI PUPPY!

Orzcvui.png
TYl8cqn.png
22saIQ1.png
O0sdydC.png

Be mine plz, puppy!!!

4sj0j93.png
C6MU9g7.png
26x8rAg.png

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Qqhoqat.png

I remember really enjoying The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time, particularly Siobhan, Christopher’s school support person who helps explain to him the things other people do that he doesn’t understand, or clear up the rules for how to do things that people don’t think to explain to him. GOD I wanted a Siobhan to help me out. Also, I’m curious, @the Americans in the audience: how do you guys pronounce the name Siobhan? It’s a gaelic name and here it’s pronounced “shih-VON”, because “bh” in gaelic makes a “v” sound, but you guys always change the pronunciations of stuff across the pond

K3XLZ1Z.png
ROIgFF3.png
kmS4hNd.png

Aw, bugger, she doesn’t have Intimidate D: NEVER MIND I LOVE HER ANYWAY 🖤

5CPIAYW.png

Alrighty then, one more and then on to Petalburg, new team in hand!

LfcDDc8.png

Theeeere we go! I love these wee buggers, I really do, I am VERY happy with how the team’s shaping up so far ❤️

fKcRHnl.png
G6PHftn.png
fJaqLAH.png
9WhlruZ.png
DemWmo1.png

C’mon sweetheart, join my Fuzzy Baby Team! Well, Nemo’s more slimy, but we love him anyway

c6G0UgI.png
W2tWv2H.png
NqNHSG4.png

Tinyraccoon, the best genus

93swMH9.png

Okay, so, this is important. My dad’s loved Discworld books since the eighties, and I tried to read The Colour of Magic a few times, but I just didn’t get into it, mostly because when I was like 9 I just had not read any pulpy fantasy fiction or played any DnD, so I did not get 95% of the jokes in that book. But in 2003, The Wee Free Men came out, and my dad went “huh, this one’s labeled YA fiction and it’s about a little girl who loves to read, that sounds exactly like my daughter” and he could not have been more right. The Wee Free Men was literally, and I mean this very seriously, a lifechanging read for me. It honestly changed the way I perceived reality, myself, and storytelling, and from there I hopped into the Witches books and loved them, and that was that. I feel like people think I’m joking when I say I have a religious devotion to Discworld but honestly? It taught me a lot of important moral, ethical and philosophical lessons at a formative age that have fundamentally shaped who I am today. Also, reading Small Gods a few years later made me SIGNIFICANTLY less insufferable than when I was reading Richard Dawkins
Anyway, Tiffany Aching is a girl who loves to read, thinks too much about words, and goes after the Queen of the Fairies with a frying pan after her baby brother gets taken. She thinks a lot about fairy tales she’s been told, especially about how they’re never about girls like her, how plain girls with brown hair and brown eyes don’t get magical destinies, but she's much more powerful than anybody else thinks, and that’s why I thought of her for Zigzagoon. Also she’s sort of a dowager queen of the Nac Mac Feegle, a race of tiny blue pictsies who, among other pastimes, enjoy a bit of casual theft, which makes me think of Pickup :P

yMOFuHK.png
MFPDDiM.png
Q3Wb0W8.png

Ever since I first played these games, Pickup was my favourite Ability, because who doesn’t love free stuff?

And I think that’s plenty for today! Next time, we’ll start training up the new team and push on for Petalburg! What’s your favourite Ability? Aside from Pickup, I’m also a big fan of Moxie myself! Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
The team's filling in nicely! We have a couple of potentially very good Pokemon, and also Poochyena, which is still hampered because it's a physical attacker in a generation where ALL dark type moves are special. the line still looks rad as fuck tho.

as for Favorite Abilities... Intimidate's very good and solid, but I've also got to say like. Inner Focus & its clones for the fact that you don't get flinched by shit like Fake Out. It can be so, so useful.

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
My favourite ability is either Moxie, Stamina or Beast Boost. I love having abilities that raise stats. I'm also a fan of Pickup, because of how useful it is. Insomnia/Vital Spirit are also good. Contrary+Superpower is also fun.

Erosaf

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
I have to say Pickup is indeed one of my fav abilities too, as well as Intimidate... oh and for those in newer generations ... Merciless!! Good god Merciless on Toxapex is just rude and nasty! Unless you're the one who owns said pokemon then its muhahaha!

Hope to see that Zizagoon live a long time, they're good to have and the movesets decent too.

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
I wanna see the lil worm dance Q_Q
Honestly, the best part of the new Pokemon Snap was seeing these little things partying on a log.

Also, I’m curious, @the Americans in the audience: how do you guys pronounce the name Siobhan? It’s a gaelic name and here it’s pronounced “shih-VON”, because “bh” in gaelic makes a “v” sound, but you guys always change the pronunciations of stuff across the pond
A name I've read infrequently and never encountered in real life. Therefore, I do not pronounce it.

What’s your favourite Ability? Aside from Pickup, I’m also a big fan of Moxie myself! Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!
Huge Power is a definite contender, not because of its frankly huge power, but because I associate it with Marill and that precious thing is trying its best.

Users who are viewing this thread