• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Johto Teen Via Memory Lane IV: A Crystal Nostalgialocke

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Maybe one day Silver will get over his obsession with strength, and retire somewhere comfortably. That's what he deserves, considering his childhood.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
i really hope that silver is happy....i think maybe he could end up bein the kind of person that researchers would hire out when they need someone strong to back them up in new or existing sites. he gets to learn from them and his pokemon get to shine and he gets to help people maybe

also GOOD LUCK!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
@songwithnosoul sdfgsf that comic is fantastic, I’ll have to check out their DA gallery! Stoic fully-evolved birbs fear not your puny might
I hope you do! Rare Candy Treatment's a fave of mine, and I feel like it generally handles this sort of poking fun at gameplay/story inconsistencies pretty well.

Blue really is interesting as a walking exemplar of the value of putting together a balanced team with a lot of type diversity, and also the value of having more tricks up your sleeve than just supereffective moves. The Rhydon aside (RIP), a lot of his Pokemon can take a while to kill even with supereffective moves, so you gotta actually fight this guy! The mighty Ur-Rival always earns his stripes, I’ll give ‘im that!
Gen II has done really well with the team-building and AI on Gym Leaders and other important NPCs, for sure. It is only fitting that Blue be one of the best examples of that, so I'm glad they got that right!

eG5hiZK.png

Love the wee Magnet Train jingle, and also the way you can see your sprite bouncing at the window, like an excited ten-year-old on a high-speed train would do 💖
Aww, what a cute detail! Love it.

I would challenge your train to a race against Sonic, but Padme still has higher speed, which is wild to me
Yeah, that is extremely weird. I guess that Sonic would still win races because they can run on water and thus take the most direct route, but even so... Speaking of gameplay/story segregation, right?

Scuse me, coming through, I have permission to be here, I’m more valid than Clair according to your suspiciously vampiric elders
haha

YXnmF4B.png
uV7YyPZ.png
iBPKPlt.png
u9wF6Rk.png

Still, I’m so proud of you, working hard, taking good care of your Pokemon 😭 ❤️
Aww. Good for him. Good for his Pokémon, too!

MxEFM9P.png

It takes a weirdly long time for Typhlosion to learn Flamethrower in Gen II but you best believe I CACKLED when this happened
Oh no, she's achieved her full arson potential. Good thing the mountain's mostly rock!

X3fkRmR.png
Gm5p6Y7.png
OWlvJJL.png
CwTaLca.png
WRxQBAX.png

Bring it! And then we’re gonna talk about phrasing things in a way that won’t attract the poke-furries
haha

I4kuJ3y.png
wK5SfSS.png
RF7jryf.png

Bro, I am so sorry, I’ve been training for Red, I did not mean for this to be a curbstomp
Oof.

ji6akop.png
e6cPbIN.png

STAB Slash is an absolute beast, though
It's good to see the newbies holding their own so well! Even if their enemies are like 15 levels behind...

v2Nkyrq.png

Ayyyy! There we go! Well done, bro! You gave your Crobat enough love to evolve to his final form! I’m so proud of you!
I have to admit that, if you actually ever realize this rival battle is a thing, having the Crobat evolve in the very last battle is a great way to end his character arc. It shows that he really, finally gets it.

WkepWWi.png
rrCJJTg.png
KPfkmbv.png

This one goes out to Erberor and the Power of Moth
Läääämp!

Come to think of it, Silver also has two trade evolutions who are both fully evolved for the first time when you fight him at Mt Moon. I guess he must have made a friend in Kanto to trade with? I hope so :D
Oh, that's a sweet idea too! It's nice to think that the boy is making healthy relationships. maybe it's his new vampire coven

J8tOF3m.png
Fbh1RJS.png
IOb0k1l.png
SmWZZR3.png

I don’t wanna take any chances with this big bastard, so Beldam gets to come finish things up. Good job, Kanto Crew! Take a break!
Oh, it's been a hot minute since we've seen Beldam. Aside from defeating the Feraligatr last time... Has she had her big badass moment yet? The one you hinted at a while back? I don't think so... Is it going to happen in the battle with Red, then?

Okay, so, notes. I am very proud of you for loving your Pokemon and treating them with care, keep doing that, but in future… you should probably attack? Just a li’l tip from the Champion there for you
hahaha

1WjiulX.png
vJtX8eM.png
lQkkUnK.png

Sonic hasn’t been leveled up so much because tbh I feel that I’ve been leaning on them too much, so I’m only planning to bring them out against Red’s Charizard. Nobody has any rock moves on this team and Charizard is immune to Padme’s Earthquake.
Fair enough! Much respect for trying to preserve the challenge as much as possible without grinding. Here's hoping it worked out.

25FqOBr.png
QMz15RO.png
ZVIlxkD.png

Velma is going to be my top weapon against Red’s Espeon, because she carries the superpower of Being Immune To Fucking Psychic.
Ahhhh, gotta love it. Dark-types are just so handy to have around in these early gens, before most psychic-types had proper counters.

DeZkvHx.png
9kdb7Ul.png
Te1z99K.png

James is my pro statboy, because I stand by what I said in Gen I; if you have Special Attack like that and Psychic, you don’t need any other attacks. Might be a little risky, but I’m going to put him out against the Snorlax first with Supersonic—Rest can wipe out Poison, and just putting him to sleep before he uses Rest won’t stop him using Snore, but I don’t believe Rest can heal Confusion because it’s a secondary status condition like Attraction. I could perhaps use him against the Venusaur, too.
Love that Snorlax strategy! You seem very solid on what you're doing going in, which is reassuring.

(As a side note, the Pink Bow is there to boost her already-terrifying Slash, but I do love the image of having this big sleek cat with a pretty pink bow who can shred steel and spit lightning ❤️)
Aww. She can be cute and gut her enemies with her terrible knife-fingers; she can have it all! Truly inspirational!

6cLU0Ix.png
yn5Kiln.png
pW049X1.png

Beldam’s also potentially up against the Blastoise, though Giga Drain isn’t as powerful as I’d like. Honestly, I’m not planning to use her much in this fight, but she really has come into her own in Kanto, providing some pretty powerful coverage.
Hmm. You aren't? I wonder if I've wildly misinterpreted you, or if Beldam's going to be thrown into the fight and prove herself unexpectedly badass because something went terribly wrong and half the team died, like with Kristy and Mewtwo. Really hope it's not the latter!

Padme, my QUEEN 👑 The very best Gen II starter is going to take point to take out the Pikachu, I might use her on the Venusaur, and I actually want her to be the primary against the Snorlax, which is the one I’m most worried about. She can do solid Physical and Special damage, and while Rock Smash isn’t all that powerful, it can cut into that beefy Defense stat that made Jabba such a force to be reckoned with. Padme’s bulky enough to take some hits herself, and while it’s not needed against Snorlax, she’s the fastest ‘mon on the team, with only Amelia even coming close.
And it's perfect that she's being put in the spotlight and getting to do the heavy lifting for this final battle! Goes full-circle! Just hope she hasn't met her match...

Next time, in the thrilling final installment: Destroying a symbol of the past self, thus truly transcending past failures and ascending into the future as a fully realized person!
And hopefully cleansing your thirst for vengeance before it infects any further runs.

Until then, I want to know: what do you think Silver does with the rest of his life?
He becomes a Gym Leader in Sinnoh, obviously! :V

The games never tell us, but I like to imagine that he's able to find joy in things not strength-based. In the Keyleeverse he has quite a detailed future, but if he were to reappear in the games, I'd like to see him traveling with his team, wanting to gain new experiences and meet new people in search of happiness. Maybe just being with his Pokemon makes him happy. I just want to see my boy smile properly dammit DX What do you think?
I don't know... I kinda like to imagine him staying a Trainer and challenging the Player Character every once in a while---once they actually, you know, start acting like a Champion and taking challenges---but in a friendly way, keeping each other sharp. More as an act of friendship than a serious challenge with ego and self-worth involved. Maybe he could one day replace Will, since in this update he demonstrated the ability to accept getting absolutely clobbered by a team 15 levels above his own without getting upset, which is an important skill for the first E4 member to have.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura forgot it was called the Earth Badge in English, huh? :v
“well wishes can transcend the progression of time, and if they can’t, they really should be able to” is one of those lines that’s absolute poetry and then you find out it’s from a tumblr shitpost, love and appreciate it ❤️

@FPFP66 Tyranitar needs more love, it’s the true heir of Godzilla
Sounds like you take Red on at lower levels than I do if you’re not getting your Typhlosion to level 60 first, and all power to you for that 💪
God it would be INCREDIBLY funny if you accidentally ruin Misty’s date and then she meets this other snarky redhead who’s only in the area to train to fight you, but neither of them know that they both know you for AGES because Misty only makes passing references to “that pest” and Silver speaks very dramatically about “my rival” XD

@ActiveTransport There was SO much grinding to get the team here, but I got there eventually! Thank god for speed buttons on emulators
It is actually canon, in HGSS at least, that Silver went back to apologize to Elm! If you talk to Elm really lategame, he’ll mention that the starter thief came back to apologize and return the stolen Pokemon, but Elm told Silver to keep it because he could see how much the Pokemon had come to love its trainer, so Elm felt like maybe he was a good person after all. It’s very sweet ❤️
Silver is reverse Batman, father figures can’t stop adopting him and he would kill his parents himself if he could :v

@Nebbles It would be super sweet if Silver just chilled the fuck out at a daycare! Imagine him in an apron and headscarf to keep his long hair back, grumbling affectionately at baby Pokemon… peaceful ❤️

@Time Master Eon oooohhh, good point! Silver’s finally ready to listen to old men talking at him about being friendly and loving to his Pokemon, at least if they have dragons ❤️

@Kit_The_Feef I would love to see Silver relax somewhere comfortable, no longer caring about strength, at peace ❤️

@bhelryss Oh I would LOVE to see Silver as, like, an explorer/bodyguard, getting to show off how cool and strong his Pokemon are while travelling to new places and learning new things… I feel like he’s one of those people who, as he gets older, starts to get a bit embarrassed/frustrated about never getting a higher education, but the researchers and archaeologists realize he’s super smart and go all Good Will Hunting about mentoring him ❤️

@songwithnosoul Pokemon characters are all, fundamentally, anime boys, so defeat means friendship, right? XD
Oh my god it IS Rare Candy Treatment! I never realized it was on Deviantart! I really liked it years ago, but then its smackjeeves page went down and I thought I’d lost it forever 👀
I still can’t decide if Padme being faster than Sonic is gameplay and story segregation, or if it’s just another sign of Padme’s sheer, unstoppable power 💪
Catch me every day having feelings about Silver and his Crobat finally evolving ❤️
Beldam doesn’t so much have one single big badass moment as having a series of impressive wins throughout Kanto, which I never would have expected when I first picked her up by Goldenrod ❤️
...Okay I actually really like the idea of Game!Silver joining the Elite Four, not least because I think Karen would be a REALLY good influence/big sister figure to him! Plus, he’s training under Lance… it would be nice to see him make more friends and now I love this XD (My Son Keyleeverse Silver is entirely his own entity and I have more plans for his future than just being Oreburgh Leader forever, never fear❤️)

Hello and welcome to the grand finale of my Crystal nostalgialocke! Last time, we kicked the rival’s ass one last time and bid him a fond farewell, then level-grinded until the team was lookin’ nice. Today… the end.

pClS4VS.png
5KBtsiJ.png
flhlsPy.png
hZYeWTM.png
3WMONf8.png
hb2biWz.png

5Srrjxu.png

p3FShgZ.png
Fje8XDj.png
0reo9Gy.png
rnO3Jwb.png

Today, we climb the mountain of self-actualization, the darkness parted by our enlightenment, and… okay nah I’m not doing this for the whole fight. Instead I’m gonna reminisce about being 9 and exploring this mountain for the first time in Gold, enjoying finding rare Pokemon and items.

pITtY0B.png

When I stumbled on this room, I could tell something was different. I thought maybe there was a legendary Pokemon up here.

hRuXLvF.png

But there’s… a trainer?
I cannot emphasize how much I DID. NOT. KNOW. What was waiting up here when I first played Gold. My brother had gotten stuck fighting Blue and had never gotten this far in Silver. I didn’t know anybody who’d bothered to explore all of Mt Silver, more focused on filling out their pokedex once they beat the Kanto League. If anybody at my school had gotten up here before me, I hadn’t heard about it.

FaEoM7F.png

I think I stopped breathing when I realized I recognized this sprite. No, it couldn’t be, could it…?

JzsjKDg.png
mwEksbv.png

I DEFINITELY screamed and then yelled for my brother to come see when I saw this. This is still one of the coolest moments I’ve ever experienced in gaming. The realization that your ultimate challenge is you, from Gen I? The old protagonist, here to test how much stronger you've become? That’s fucking SWEET.

muJxJys.png
H04emSj.png

You are not Ash, initiator of this quest, and yet, in a sense, you are. I don’t want to have to hurt you, wee man…

6AytTYT.png
xMvrfgp.png

But I have to, for the sake of the Crystal team. I hope you understand.

vrFtJPH.png
W3ztFRn.png

I never got the Celadon Eevee in either of the Gen I runs, so I feel no guilt about this. However, I do think it’s a very sweet note that Red evolved his Eevee by friendship. No matter how terse or terrifyingly strong he is, he loves his Pokemon ❤️

GwEfRph.png
a3qWdXQ.png
8KMDMeb.png
YkUdSXa.png

That’s the stuff! Well done, Velma!

dCkqZCY.png
S1NKC1P.png

Oooft, this is gonna be tougher. At least I don’t have to feel guilty about this one either, though!

N6YfiBJ.png
0Q8W6rd.png
RWNy0hV.png

…well, that doesn’t do a lot of damage, huh

d7wCzd3.png
nCHLmTB.png
ewN5SaB.png

At least he doesn’t seem to be overly interested in actually attacking yet, though

gE1S19O.png
ZZxXZIo.png
3T1wB9w.png
ZLSjpMy.png

Beldam, hen, that berry was half a joke to myself and half to make sure you weren’t going out with nothing. Also, OUCH, never mind, that Rain Dance was setting up Surf to hit like a BEAST!

2haYLA4.png
Md2iMS6.png
JQ63Bec.png

Hits Amelia pretty damn hard too, oooooowwwww >_<

aaXTxD3.png
GMXxcPC.png
rCtqOgI.png

Gotta keep healing, hope for a miss, and wait out the rain…

qhIdHiE.png

I had to keep healing for a few rounds, but finally Rain Dance petered out, and without it, Surf’s power dropped. Meaning this turn, even if Amelia misses, Blastoise will either be setting up another Rain Dance or using a Surf which shouldn’t be powerful enough to kill her…

zXCu0lc.png
SvehlbT.png

NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL KITTEN CANNON
If you didn’t play the flash game kitten cannon in about 2006 or so, don’t look it up, it was not nearly this fun for the digital cats

kth5RkO.png
RqsBnQS.png

Now THIS is the guy I was scared to face, Jabba’s dark mirror, with a nasty Rest-Snore combo that’s really taken me to the cleaners in the past :ohdear:

lHsNY7s.png
2B4hfXZ.png
VJlgV6m.png

Phew, that worked! Now get outta there, James, you don’t have the Physical Defense for this!

mYNeR2E.png
DqnL3Pk.png
wmyWfFr.png

Aw, keech. Now he’s shored up his Special Defenses as well. It’s gonna get real tough to do any damage to this bastard.

3NClucF.png
SiLUeu0.png
XbyUxfE.png
k5Bfpmf.png

That’ll help! Good job Padme!

38OswBX.png
zEKQ9WS.png
EGLOuiE.png

Christ on a bike, but those Body Slams HURT

2Bqe6ue.png
BH9L2ez.png
rg59Tg3.png
dqrjnGu.png
vWfahWs.png

C’mooon, Padme, we need to hit some Defense drops!

0xwFRkV.png
4p9Rpcv.png
ouWR2p2.png
I9ALVAc.png

I’m amazed he hasn’t hit Rest yet, but he’s pretty much guaranteed to next turn, so instead of healing I can chance…

rMNhjaa.png
G8TaoiY.png

Padme, my QUEEN, you beautiful, speedy firebadger 💖 Farewell, mighty Jabba... return to your nap and be at peace.

9SjtYzL.png
EdPVFCM.png

I don’t have to feel guilty about defeating this Charizard, but I still feel sad about it 😭

VHdHDzR.png
BzobvDL.png
oR8WkFs.png
vV4bmIg.png
okx5UTB.png

Farewell, my demidraconic friend… one day, you shall be mine…

9at9xNx.png
UFcrnQJ.png
V7AI7DZ.png

And last, comes a reminder of my failure to save my Blue starter… Grinch, forgive me, see how I have learned. My Crystal starter has survived. She has grown powerful.

7gdqSk1.png
ZAxf7Vf.png
jrQrpdG.png
vcS1lR8.png

What BULK! What resilience! It makes me proud to see you fight so well, my friend.

LQKdlew.png
hN5xlXY.png
nSAZoHX.png

Farewell. Be at peace.

rv8SEgp.png
I0kV791.png

I lost a BUNCH of times as a kid, mostly against that Snorlax. I grinded my original team to level 100 specifically for that Snorlax as a kid. But today, we are victorious. We can bow out of Gen II on a SUCCESS!

uehaoTP.png
isA2sGZ.png

The cut to credits feels great. Though Kanto, in many senses, is just a really big postgame, this makes you feel like you’ve reached the True End.

8VNBTqS.png

And then, instead of sending you home, the game just bops you back down to the foot of Mt Silver, because this is Your City Now, so it’s here that we’ll say goodbye to the victorious six—a first for this challenge, having a full team at the end!

ogYyMZh.png

I don’t know if having Sonic unbalanced the game, but they were fun to have and really saved my ass in a lot of respects. Looking at their moveset now, I did kinda make them into an HM specialist :v Thanks for making me your Chosen One, though, Sonic. I think we’ve had a good run, eh?

htuhert.png

Beldam! I’m sorry you spent so long in Peter’s shadow, but you really came into your own in the Kanto leg of the game. I never would’ve expected that little Spinarak I despondently picked up after Goldenrod would wind up being such a solid member of the team, with so much power to offer! Well done, lovely! Please come retire to my house and eat all these fucking fruit flies going after my plants

EVwrdeU.png

Amelia, though I’m sad that we missed out on Pickup together, you’ve also been really solid and you really came through against that Blastoise. Zap Cannon was pretty unreliable in training, but you landed it when it counted!

TQR3dYb.png

James didn’t get to strut his stuff on camera much, but he’s been really solid and I’ve enjoyed using him. In my eyes, James, you are the greatest moth. All hail!

omMyruw.png

Velma, when I first got you, I was excited because you could Fly. Now, I’m unspeakably glad I caught you, because you are a dark-magic boss. When it comes to crows, they say it’s one for sorrow, two for joy, but you’ve brought me plenty of joy all by yourself!

25pn7sH.png

Padme, Padme, Padme… how prescient to name you for an icon and a queen, because that’s just what you are. You have affirmed that I am correct in holding Cyndaquil to be the best Johto starter. You carried us through the first gym all by yourself, and you kept carrying the team all the way through the game. As we began, so we ended: with Padme destroying all who stand before her in righteous, purifying flames.

fbkT2TV.png

And that’s that! The Crystal run is a SUCCESS! Three out of four ain’t bad, right? I've also basically novelized this part for the Nuzlocke Hallowe'en Anthology 2021, if you'd like to read this fight again with fewer memes and more Sadness!

And because I’m back on a win streak, there’s no catch restrictions on my Sapphire run! I’m jazzed, because there’s some earlygame Hoenn Pokemon I really like and I’m looking forward to building up a team before Roxanne :D

But that’s for another day! I’ve really enjoyed doing this run and revisiting one of my all-time favourite games. This really has brought me so much joy over a stressful wee time I've been having. I'm gonna take a week break here before starting to post the Sapphire run, because I've got a lot of Halloween events and Nanowrimo prep to do. Thank you so, so much for joining me, and haste ye back to Hoenn!

OzdxGXQ.jpg

Last edited:

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!! CONGRATS!! oh man that was awesome. i'm really proud of all of them! especially beldam!!!!! i always get nervous about bugs in nuzlockes, so it was so thrilling to see you bring one all the way to the end, and they lived!!!!!!!!!!

also i hope your break is good, (oh god, nano), happy halloween!!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Congrats, I'm gonna be honest, I didn't expect everyone to survive, but lo and behold.

Looking forward to the next step on this journey, partly because I'm running out of things to say about Kanto.

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
SUCCESS! AND WITH NO LAST MINUTE DEATHS TO BOOT!

This team fucking earned their victory here, and I am so proud of them. May they all have very happy and peaceful retirements with the rest of the victorious Pokemon.

on another note, i am very glad we are moving onto Hoenn, because now we begin to get into regions (and games, even if it's mostly the remakes for me) I have nostalgia for, and Know Things About. Kanto's cool, and Johto's fun, but I've been missing the sheer color of Hoenn for a bit.

See you for that next week or so.

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Holy shit you won without any losses. The world is about to end.

wait, I guess it ended in 2020. Maybe this will fix gas prices!

Sounds like you take Red on at lower levels than I do if you’re not getting your Typhlosion to level 60 first, and all power to you for that 💪
I think the last time I beat GSC with Typhlosion was 2012ish? But usually for GSC I was in the high 50s early 60s.
My brother had gotten stuck fighting Blue
This story I need to hear
I DEFINITELY screamed and then yelled for my brother to come see when I saw this. This is still one of the coolest moments I’ve ever experienced in gaming. The realization that your ultimate challenge is you, from Gen I? The old protagonist, here to test how much stronger you've become? That’s fucking SWEET.
This story I’m glad I heard. I don’t really remember facing Red when I first played, although I think I’d played Blue before I beat Red in Gold. It wasn’t until I was a few years older that it really sunk in how cool it is that Red returns.

And now it’s time for Hoenn. RSE went from the black sheep of the series to among the most beloved. Now these games, I have plenty of stories about. Some funny, one a bit depressing.

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
You sure as shit did it! You and the teams, old and new, put on a great show there. Looking forward to Sapphire - That was my first Pokémon game, and, actually, the first game I had that wasn't just some edutainment nonsense for the old dinosaurs we all had for computers back in the day. Excited to see your trip through my home region; may the Pokémon who joined me in my first Pokémon journey serve you well!

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Way to go! No doubt you earned this one, and you did it with some cool Pokemon too. I doubt there are many folks out there who can say they beat Red in a Nuzlocke and had a full team at the end. Here's to more success in the future!

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Deathless Red fight! I'll admit that I read the Halloween story first and thought Beldam had died, but I'm glad to see that she's actually fine.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
What a wonderful run! I absolutely cannot wait until your Sapphire run, as I endlessly adore Hoenn. You've been a right joy to follow on this journey, so I'm sure the next one will be just as great!

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Oh my god it IS Rare Candy Treatment! I never realized it was on Deviantart! I really liked it years ago, but then its smackjeeves page went down and I thought I’d lost it forever 👀
Ah, DA was where I found it first, personally. Glad I was able to reunite you with it, however accidentally!

Beldam doesn’t so much have one single big badass moment as having a series of impressive wins throughout Kanto, which I never would have expected when I first picked her up by Goldenrod ❤️
Ah, fair, fair! She really has come into her own!

...Okay I actually really like the idea of Game!Silver joining the Elite Four, not least because I think Karen would be a REALLY good influence/big sister figure to him! Plus, he’s training under Lance… it would be nice to see him make more friends and now I love this XD (My Son Keyleeverse Silver is entirely his own entity and I have more plans for his future than just being Oreburgh Leader forever, never fear❤️)
Aww, I love that idea of him forming relationships with other NPCs. Karen really does sound like she'd be a good influence on him, considering her personal philosophy is so opposite to his early obsession with strength and blaming his Pokémon. (And I look forward to what you have in store for the boy!)

I like how you put Silver in place with of the badges, as your final test before Red. That's fun!

pITtY0B.png

When I stumbled on this room, I could tell something was different. I thought maybe there was a legendary Pokemon up here.
Oh yes, love this play-by-play of your reaction. Peak nostalgia. So good! And it's pretty effective game design, too. I'm getting the impression that finding Red there was much cooler even than a secret legendary.

I cannot emphasize how much I DID. NOT. KNOW. What was waiting up here when I first played Gold. My brother had gotten stuck fighting Blue and had never gotten this far in Silver. I didn’t know anybody who’d bothered to explore all of Mt Silver, more focused on filling out their pokedex once they beat the Kanto League. If anybody at my school had gotten up here before me, I hadn’t heard about it.
Sounds like it ended up being a stroke of luck on your part, that you got to experience it organically. I can still tell in your tone, almost 20 years later, what a big deal it was to you.

JzsjKDg.png
mwEksbv.png

I love your enthusiasm, even after so many years. It's wonderful to read.

You are not Ash, initiator of this quest, and yet, in a sense, you are. I don’t want to have to hurt you, wee man…

6AytTYT.png
xMvrfgp.png

But I have to, for the sake of the Crystal team. I hope you understand.
I like how you're also remembering past runs in this series, even if it's kinda bittersweet. Ouch, poor Pika. But it's appropriate that you'd beat him with your current starter. And now the first one's down without Padme even taking any damage! Fantastic start!

GwEfRph.png
YkUdSXa.png

That’s the stuff! Well done, Velma!
Nice! Two down! And that one went just as smoothly as you planned, too!

dCkqZCY.png
S1NKC1P.png

Oooft, this is gonna be tougher. At least I don’t have to feel guilty about this one either, though!
I guess the guilt will have to wait a few gens :V But hey, it's time for Beldam's Giga Drain again! It went pretty well against the Feraligatr!

N6YfiBJ.png
0Q8W6rd.png
RWNy0hV.png

…well, that doesn’t do a lot of damage, huh
Ouch. Blastoise is bulky! And poor Beldam doesn't have the advantage of STAB. Looks like the battle's hit a bit of a snag; so, what will you do next?

gE1S19O.png
ZZxXZIo.png
3T1wB9w.png
ZLSjpMy.png

Beldam, hen, that berry was half a joke to myself and half to make sure you weren’t going out with nothing. Also, OUCH, never mind, that Rain Dance was setting up Surf to hit like a BEAST!
Good call on the berry! Yikes!

2haYLA4.png
Md2iMS6.png
JQ63Bec.png

Hits Amelia pretty damn hard too, oooooowwwww >_<
Yeah, good call; Giga Drain wasn't doing it this time. But ow! Still hits hard! I hope Amelia is up to it!

I had to keep healing for a few rounds, but finally Rain Dance petered out, and without it, Surf’s power dropped. Meaning this turn, even if Amelia misses, Blastoise will either be setting up another Rain Dance or using a Surf which shouldn’t be powerful enough to kill her…

zXCu0lc.png
SvehlbT.png

NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL KITTEN CANNON
Nice! Excellent calculations, and it's great to see Amelia get her first major win like this! It's great that even the new ones are getting their chance to shine here.

If you didn’t play the flash game kitten cannon in about 2006 or so, don’t look it up, it was not nearly this fun for the digital cats

kth5RkO.png
RqsBnQS.png

Now THIS is the guy I was scared to face, Jabba’s dark mirror, with a nasty Rest-Snore combo that’s really taken me to the cleaners in the past :ohdear:
Oh boy. You prepared so much for this one that I'm optimistic, but I'm still crossing my fingers for luck...

mYNeR2E.png
DqnL3Pk.png
wmyWfFr.png

Aw, keech. Now he’s shored up his Special Defenses as well. It’s gonna get real tough to do any damage to this bastard.
Oof. Well, Red's AI is living up to his reputation, at least...

38OswBX.png
zEKQ9WS.png
EGLOuiE.png

Christ on a bike, but those Body Slams HURT
Yikes!!!

2Bqe6ue.png
BH9L2ez.png
rg59Tg3.png
dqrjnGu.png
vWfahWs.png

C’mooon, Padme, we need to hit some Defense drops!
Glad you have so many healing items!

I’m amazed he hasn’t hit Rest yet, but he’s pretty much guaranteed to next turn, so instead of healing I can chance…

rMNhjaa.png
G8TaoiY.png

Padme, my QUEEN, you beautiful, speedy firebadger 💖 Farewell, mighty Jabba... return to your nap and be at peace.
Whew. You called that one perfectly! Very glad that Padme pulled through here. It'd be so tragic if she got killed in the very last battle of the run...

I don’t have to feel guilty about defeating this Charizard, but I still feel sad about it 😭

VHdHDzR.png
BzobvDL.png
oR8WkFs.png
vV4bmIg.png
okx5UTB.png

Farewell, my demidraconic friend… one day, you shall be mine…
At least Sonic made it quick, right? Didn't draw out the suffering.

9at9xNx.png
UFcrnQJ.png
V7AI7DZ.png

And last, comes a reminder of my failure to save my Blue starter… Grinch, forgive me, see how I have learned. My Crystal starter has survived. She has grown powerful.
Alas, poor Grinch. Speaking of starters getting killed in the very last battle... I like the starter versus starter symmetry here again, even if it's not something you could've planned.

7gdqSk1.png
ZAxf7Vf.png
jrQrpdG.png
vcS1lR8.png

What BULK! What resilience! It makes me proud to see you fight so well, my friend.
Especially since Sunny Day boosts Flamethrower, too... Almost like he was trying to help you...

LQKdlew.png
hN5xlXY.png
nSAZoHX.png

Farewell. Be at peace.
:~;

rv8SEgp.png
I0kV791.png

I lost a BUNCH of times as a kid, mostly against that Snorlax. I grinded my original team to level 100 specifically for that Snorlax as a kid. But today, we are victorious. We can bow out of Gen II on a SUCCESS!
You beat Red with a level disadvantage and no deaths! (Not to him, anyway.) You played this one perfectly, and I salute you!

uehaoTP.png
isA2sGZ.png

The cut to credits feels great. Though Kanto, in many senses, is just a really big postgame, this makes you feel like you’ve reached the True End.
Yeah, for sure. Beating the Champion is all well and good, but this is the real climax of the game.

ogYyMZh.png

I don’t know if having Sonic unbalanced the game, but they were fun to have and really saved my ass in a lot of respects. Looking at their moveset now, I did kinda make them into an HM specialist :v Thanks for making me your Chosen One, though, Sonic. I think we’ve had a good run, eh?
I mean, they were definitely a badass to have around, but the same way that Padme is. I think that your performance against all of Red's Pokémon that aren't Charizard (no deaths! still really impressed!) shows that you weren't relying on them too much.

htuhert.png

Beldam! I’m sorry you spent so long in Peter’s shadow, but you really came into your own in the Kanto leg of the game. I never would’ve expected that little Spinarak I despondently picked up after Goldenrod would wind up being such a solid member of the team, with so much power to offer! Well done, lovely! Please come retire to my house and eat all these fucking fruit flies going after my plants
Haha. She really proved herself for an early-game bug, didn't she? And survived for almost the whole game, which is impressive in itself. She and Peter really proved the viability of early-game bugs in nuzlockes.

EVwrdeU.png

Amelia, though I’m sad that we missed out on Pickup together, you’ve also been really solid and you really came through against that Blastoise. Zap Cannon was pretty unreliable in training, but you landed it when it counted!
I'm glad the big kitty got her time to shine!

TQR3dYb.png

James didn’t get to strut his stuff on camera much, but he’s been really solid and I’ve enjoyed using him. In my eyes, James, you are the greatest moth. All hail!
Can't think of higher praise than that!

omMyruw.png

Velma, when I first got you, I was excited because you could Fly. Now, I’m unspeakably glad I caught you, because you are a dark-magic boss. When it comes to crows, they say it’s one for sorrow, two for joy, but you’ve brought me plenty of joy all by yourself!
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Haha. It was also great to see her prove herself against Red.

25pn7sH.png

Padme, Padme, Padme… how prescient to name you for an icon and a queen, because that’s just what you are. You have affirmed that I am correct in holding Cyndaquil to be the best Johto starter. You carried us through the first gym all by yourself, and you kept carrying the team all the way through the game. As we began, so we ended: with Padme destroying all who stand before her in righteous, purifying flames.
Padme is a badass and it's been really fun watching her work. That is all.

And that’s that! The Crystal run is a SUCCESS! Three out of four ain’t bad, right? I've also basically novelized this part for the Nuzlocke Hallowe'en Anthology 2021, if you'd like to read this fight again with fewer memes and more Sadness!
Oh yeah, about that...

It’s so cold on Mt Silver, but you expected that. The cold doesn’t scare you. You have a Typhlosion.
I'm not sure who this narrator is in relation to you, but I feel like this neatly sums up your feelings about Typhlosion, though you can replace "cold" with literally anything else and it'll still work.

For some reason, you didn’t expect the quiet.

The air stings against your face when you step out of the caves, and you anticipate the roar of wind, but—nothing. Perhaps the air is just too thin, but you are struck by the notion that the very mountain itself is holding its breath. Watching. Waiting.
I love this description. So cold and eerie. Very like how you described Mt. Silver in BB, as well.

What comes next is silence. It was quiet before, but when he turns to you, silence hits you like an explosion. You can’t see his eyes under the brim of his cap, or his breath hang in the air. When he opens his mouth, the nothing almost chokes you.
I also really like this description. Especially the utter uncanniness of the "..." lines. Really well put.

But then he’s gone, and in his place there’s a Pikachu, and now you’re back on familiar ground. You know what to do with a Pikachu.
Ah, I see. So there is definitely something supernatural going on here, then. I mean, this is part of a Halloween anthology!

“Earthquake!” you shout, jumping onto Padme’s back, clinging to the warm, coarse fur just under the flames
I love the idea of riding the Pokémon using Earthquake to avoid getting hit by it.

You dig your knees into Padme’s back, indicating for her to back away and give you space to release Velma
And even more the intimacy of understanding in little gestures like this, which must have come about from a lot of time riding her back and battling and being around and getting to know each other. It's great.

It splashes harmlessly off of your Murkrow’s wings. Velma preens as if she didn’t notice the attack that warped the ground before her like kneaded bread dough.
Great imagery here! Love the preening behaviour--very avian and also packing a lot of personality and attitude in such a short span of time--and the very physical threat posed by the Psychic before Velma appears and disperses it. "kneaded bread dough" is an excellent description.

Psychic’s ripples spread out, but the Shadow Ball only seems to compact, pulling in air and stone alike to the miniature black hole as it flies towards the Espeon, which vanishes.
Also a great description!

The huge spider is quick to scurry under and around the first few frigid blasts from the Blastoise’s cannons, climb its shell, and sink her fangs into the softer blue head
Yikes! That's a really terrifying way to depict Giga Drain!

…No. Something’s wrong.

Normally, Beldam glows as she drains life from her opponents, but now she’s just… shuddering.
Ooh, I like this. I like how you're reinterpreting Giga Drain's ineffectiveness as being a result of trying to drain from a ghost or whatever supernatural being that they are. Poor Beldam! Close call!

no matter how dangerous it is to leave Padme out here alone with such a powerful water-type.
I also really like how Padme's staying out the whole battle here, at Chu's side, offering not only heat but safety and moral support. It's very sweet.

She’s not alone for long, though. You wouldn’t have become Champion if you only ever had one trick up your sleeve.
Hell yeah! Well-put!

Padme jumps as the Blastoise sends a wall of water at you, scrambling frantically up the last few feet of mountain, but Amelia holds her ground, hissing and spitting as the water washes over her. When it passes, you see sparks dancing from her fangs. You’ve never fully understood how your Persian can produce ball lightning, but you’re not complaining, not when it hits true, right in the Blastoise’s face…
I like how Surf is also depicted as an intensely terrifying physical threat here. And how well Amelia weathers it! She fully gets to have her badass moment and it's beautiful.

You’re watching so closely, but you still can’t seem to catch it. There should be light, there should be some sign of a pokeball returning it and releasing the next Pokemon, but you see nothing.
Yep. Now they're starting to catch on.

You’ve fought a Snorlax before, back by Vermilion, and it wasn’t as slow as you expected but it was still clearly constrained by its own weight. The way this Snorlax throws itself at you, Body Slamming into the space where Amelia was just a breath before, is impossible.
I like this detail, too. How it's becoming slowly more apparent that something is really wrong, and their experience as a Trainer telling them that the Snorlax is too maneuverable to be made of physical matter is a neat way of doing it.

“Supersonic!” you scream. Snorlax are so strong and so hard to hurt, but if you can get it to hurt itself, you might have a chance. James’ cry warbles through the air towards the Snorlax—

Which ripples, like a reflection in a puddle twisted by raindrops.
Ah, and like with Giga Drain, you're explaining having to swap James out in your battle as being because the strategy Chu tried to use doesn't work on ghosts! That's really neat! Although I can't say that the Snorlax is entirely unaffected this time... That rippling description is excellent! I guess a ghost's mind is their whole being, in a way...

Then you’re sent flying, unable to cling to Padme’s back through the sheer force. When you can grasp what’s happening again, you’re in a snowdrift, and you scramble out to see Padme lying in a crater, howling in agony as the too-fast Snorlax Body Slams her again. James is fluttering protectively between you and the Snorlax, but you know that if that thing turns on you, it’ll pulverize you both.
Ouch! I like how James gets a bit more attention here, valiantly trying to protect Chu in the middle of this chaos.

But it’ll kill Padme first, and you can’t let it, you can’t, not Padme, not the one who’s been with you this whole time, who fought so hard for you right from the beginning, who stood by you even while you were chained by your shame and need for atonement—
Ah, interesting. So it looks like your failed Gold run is canon to this story, at least! "chained by your shame and need for atonement" is excellent phrasing!

“PADME, EARTHQUAKE!” you yell, reaching into your bag for the first potion you can find and running towards her. The mountain moves under you, but you’re ready, you know Padme, you know her power, and you leap and jump across the shaking earth like Suicune running across the waves, while the Snorlax is thrown back.
I love the action here, very fast and exciting, and also how again it shows the bond between Chu and Padme, as Chu knows how to ride out the Earthquake in a pinch. And of course their familiarity with Suicune's movements foreshadows Sonic's appearance later.

You rip the cap off of the potion you grabbed—Max Potion, thank fuck—and just dump the contents over her. You’ve been told to only use them in aerosolized form, that the medicine is too strong and will potentially just cause more damage in liquid form, but you have faith in Padme’s strength and you don’t have time to spray every bump and bruise individually,
I also like this little digression about Potions and how they work. It's neat, without disrupting the pacing.

Padme grabs you, rolling over on top of you as a living shield, and kicks back with both of her stubby but strong legs. You never taught her to perform Rock Smash like this, but it works. You hear the Snorlax howl, and then… nothing.
Also a great moment of action, Padme improvising so she can protect her Trainer and attack at the same time.

Suicune is, as always, utterly breathtaking to behold, and every day you are grateful that they chose you, that they’ve brought you this far. They are somehow graceful even as they rise into the air on a pillar of water so fast that it smacks the Charizard even further into the sky, so far that you almost lose sight of it. It’s so, so dark up here, but surely you should be able to see…
Although it seems like Suicune isn't called Sonic in this one, which is fair. Giving a god a silly nickname doesn't work as well in a short story as it does in a much more light-hearted screenshot run. I love how Chu has to take a moment to be in awe and gratitude of them--how they carry that godly weight even in the middle of this chaotic battle.

The Charizard’s tailflame isn’t lit. Your heart stops when you realize that you’ve killed it, and gods, you didn’t mean to, not such a rare and beautiful Pokemon, you were just trying to keep it from killing you
Oh, yesssss! Excellent detail! I love it. And I like how this also basically channels your feelings every time you're forced to defeat a beautiful fire-type Pokémon.

The Charizard hits Suicune with a white-hot Flamethrower, knocking them off of their pillar.
Love it! Love how this is the tipping point that puts all of the weirdness together and confirms it's ghosts, with a Charizard that must be dead fighting back--and making that one hit the Charizard got in before Sonic took him down very threatening.

The image of a Marowak comes into your mind, like a dream, or a memory that isn’t yours. A Marowak that, when defeated, didn’t collapse, just… left. Disappeared. Moved on.
Ooh, neat. Is this a ghost-memory from Red, or a ghost-memory from you, from the Kanto runs that aren't strictly canon but still connected to Chu in a strange, secret way?

It isn’t knocked into the air this time. It disappears as the pillar of glowing water strikes it, fading away into the dark like it was never there. You look to Suicune, heart asking if you saw what you thought you saw, and even though they don’t look back, you feel their answer.
I also like how Suicune seems to understand what's going on immediately, with their godly wisdom, so their appearance also shifts the dynamic in that way.

A Venusaur appears in front of you, petals spreading like it’s trying to take in sunlight, but there is no light up here. Just the endless dark and unbearable cold. You can’t imagine what torture it must be for a Venusaur to just exist here, but here it has stayed, with its teammates. With its friends. With…
Oh, this is so sad. Now that they understand what's going on, they have such sympathy for the Venusaur's spirit trapped here. I like how you channel your regret over Grinch and the coincidence of the final Pokémon being Venusaur into this sad reflection (including even a failed attempt at Sunny Day). You've basically included the entire battle here blow-for-blow, and you've made all of it interesting and add to the story. Really well done.

Poor Venusaur. At least, being defeated seems to be putting the spirits to rest...

All the fresh water sparkles as Suicune walks serenely over it, nose dipping to something that had been buried under the ice.
Welp. Again, I like how you use Suicune's insight! Though that's also a bit creepy, how they just know.

You spot the head of the Charizard first, no longer vibrant orange but drained to a colour almost indistinguishable from the icy rocks it’s lying on. It’s curled up tightly, the tip of its flameless tail nearly touching its nose. You keep walking closer until you can see what it’s curled around, though you could guess.
Oh, ow. This hurts. Just as sad as Chris's death, but in a different way. Died trying to keep everybody warm...

His hat’s tipped down over his face, likely frozen in place. He’s so, so still, which—of course he is. He’s dead. But it’s so cold up here that they’re perfectly preserved. There’s no way to tell if they died yesterday or three years ago, and even now, they just look like they’re sleeping. You know how comfortable it is to sleep in your fire-type’s embrace. He must have been through so much with his Charizard. His Pokemon must have loved him so much, to stay here with him, even now.
This is breaking my heart! Thanks!

You bury your face in Padme’s fur so your tears won’t freeze on your face. You think of a Nintendo 64 that’s never been played in a bedroom full of dust. You think of his mother sitting at home, worried but so full of faith that her son would return.
Ouch. Just making the tragedy of Red's abandoned mom even more tragic, why don't you?

Does he not have access to Mt Silver, or did he simply never come look? Did anybody come look? Or did they all assure themselves that the glorious Champion of Pallet could face anything, even the elements themselves, even as a child? Were they all just waiting, anticipating, doing nothing?
Oh, and here I see the sadness turning to anger. Time to call out the whole system out! Just as you've been doing all along in this run, admittedly in a more jokey way.

He was just like you. He took on the gyms. He took on Rocket. He learned, as you have, that the price of winning every battle is having to fight every battle, no matter what it is. He learned, as you did, that adults can’t be relied on, but when you learn to rely on yourself, they start to rely on you, too, and never seem to notice how backwards things have gotten.
Ouch. Really deconstructing the whole idea of the child heroes, huh? That line, "the price of winning every battle is having to fight every battle," is so good. Love it.

One child to another, you promise him, “I’ll remember you. And I won’t let anyone forget.”
Wow. like how putting the ghost to rest here isn't just about finding his body or telling his loved ones, it's righting the wrongs that killed him. Which in this case isn't bloody revenge at least, but maybe some guilt-tripping. (Poor Blue. He was mentioned earlier, but the talk about adults relying on kids and having to rely on yourself puts the earlier lines about him possibly being afraid to check in a different light. He's not an adult who failed Red; he's another kid who was failed, too.)

It’s so dark, and so cold, and so, so silent.

I really like how it ends on the parentheses, like how Red speaks in. Feels perfectly appropriate.

Maybe the real horror is the child prodigies we abandoned along the way
I guess having a competent Pokémon team doesn't add ten years, after all.

And because I’m back on a win streak, there’s no catch restrictions on my Sapphire run! I’m jazzed, because there’s some earlygame Hoenn Pokemon I really like and I’m looking forward to building up a team before Roxanne :D
Ooh, yeah! It's time to crack into an entirely new region with minimal dupes! Exciting!

But that’s for another day! I’ve really enjoyed doing this run and revisiting one of my all-time favourite games. This really has brought me so much joy over a stressful wee time I've been having.
Aww, I'm glad! Not about the stress, but the other stuff! *Hugs*

I'm gonna take a week break here before starting to post the Sapphire run, because I've got a lot of Halloween events and Nanowrimo prep to do.
Fair enough! I'll keep an eye out and catch you in the next one, whenever that is!

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
eG5hiZK.png

Love the wee Magnet Train jingle, and also the way you can see your sprite bouncing at the window, like an excited ten-year-old on a high-speed train would do 💖
That always was pretty cute. Heck, I'd probably be bouncing at the window even now since we don't really have rail where I live...
One thing with Silver in the Dragon's Den I really like is he lets his starter out with him in HGSS. It makes it feel like he's actually bonded with them after all.
:psyduck: at Typhlosion not learning Flamethrower until 60 when Charizard learns it at like 34 in Gen 1...but it's still hype 🔥
RF7jryf.png

Bro, I am so sorry, I’ve been training for Red, I did not mean for this to be a curbstomp
F
Nooooo why would you stop there instead of either 68 or 70 😭
But the team looks solid. Hopefully the Kanto half will get to shine as well.

I don't really recall what my reaction to Red was when I first went up Mt. Silver, but it is a very hype moment.
Man a Dark-type is actually handy in these games! Too bad they're all (except Umbreon) locked to Kanto >_>
I had a feeling the Blastoise would be one of the toughest since you don't really have a good counter. Thank goodness for cats who can inexplicably use electricity.
And the Snorlax was the other I was worried about. Luckily Padme came through yet again!
And I feel just as sad for having to defeat a Charizard 😭
But I'm happy that everyone survived! And that that means you don't have to sololocke the first part of Hoenn. Which reminds me-I have to tell the story of me being a colossal idiot at one point my first time playing Ruby...

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
SayleeK! I have been kept away by computer and wrist troubles, both of which are more or less in order now. I'm thrilled to have not really missed the conclusion to this run, which went so admirably well! Thank you for bringing us through this adventure with you, with Padme, and with the squad. I look sincerely forward towards what is to come. Ruby was the first game where my friends also played, though I'd been playing since Blue.

I've curated this spoiler down to mostly answering your questions and providing the rare comment, but it's still kinda long.

Until then, what do you think of psychics in fiction?
Give! Them! Rules!

Psychics, like any magic and magic-adjacent stuff, need structure or they're just painting over plot holes. Now, those rules can very occasionally be broken, particularly if the breaking is key to the plot, but you can't by any means make that the norm.

Actually, are any of you multilingual?
I hold undergraduate degrees in Spanish and German and a graduate degree in German. I teach that one for a living, in fact. I took a year of university French and wanna get back to it. Outside of that, though, I've got no significant capabilities .

So. I wanna talk for a moment about compassion, and why it’s not silly to feel sad about or even cry about the death of digital creatures, because I’m Feelin Things today.
Yes! It isn't a misunderstanding of a pixel's humanity, it's an exercise of our own!

What do you think should have been done with Lavender Town in the timeskip? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!
Mr. Fuji's work turned into a sprawling community-service org and a home for all the homeless 'mons and folx. At the end of the game, you find Silver taking up increasing residence there.

What's your favourite ghost story?
Pokemon Black, obviously.

In general, I was constantly astounded by how much food Japanese people can pack away. Whenever I stopped by a noodle bar for cheap eats, the serving sizes were always huge and I’d struggle to finish them, and yet I’d see people sit down nearby, get their bowl, somehow inhale it all in about three minutes, and then be away again.
I forget, forgive me, but have you been to America? If so, how does this compare? In my experience, we often are regarded as having excessive portions here. (Unlike the Japanese, we are not regarded as being generally thin)

And a boy or two, too! You can also read Barry as a trans girl who isn’t out yet, or a trans boy who’s remained part of the gym, which are both very cool, but also very cool is for cis boys to look up to girls, think they’re cool, and feel no shame in being GNC! Now THIS gym is feminism
Barry is doing so well, and you are very right to commend him on it regardless of where he is on any journey of gender.

2p0nAbl.png
2p0nAbl.png
0F766mw.png
0F766mw.png
mkQ0e3Q.png
mkQ0e3Q.png
JSGn3kC.png
JSGn3kC.png

Cannae blame you, mate, I’d be upset too about getting bodied that hard.
Watching my two-year-old nephew grow, this kind of behavior actually feels a lot like "hey, it's a kids' game! Let's teach them how to deal with feelings." A lot of child-rearing is just helping them understand their own feelings and how to react to them. "It makes me upset that I lost, but I'm glad we got to play." models healthy behavior and healthy ideation.

What's your preferred technique for getting through grinding, or getting around it?
Put on the dullest of the YouTube. Play the dullest part of the game. Marry them into a fine evening.

What do you think of seeing Blue come back as a gym leader?
It's not unlike Legend of Korra, seeing AtLA characters come back as adults with real positions in the real world. Feels full circle and good.

Thank you for taking us on this adventure, my friend!

PageEmperor

Absolute loather and despiser of ads.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
Congradulations on winning the run, it defintely managed to work out! Can’t wait for the next run you have in mind…

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you again so much to everybody who's read and commented on this run! The Sapphire run is now live!

@bhelryss Gotta love a bug going the distance! Happy Halloween, and Happy Nanomas!

@Time Master Eon against the odds, the whole gang made it! Hope you’ve got plenty of thoughts on Hoenn to share!

@Anya Homura eyyy, looking forward to hearing everybody’s nostalgia for Hoenn! Fingers crossed we have a run as successful as this one turned out 🤞

@FPFP66 I guess there’s one good thing about living in the Bizarro Timeline :P
I mean, there’s not much of a story to my brother being stuck at Blue, he kept losing and didn’t have the patience to level grind XP
Looking forward to sharing some stories and deep feels about Hoenn! In retrospect, I think it was largely a victim of coming out when the high-water mark of pokemania was ebbing, as naturally happens with cultural obsessions. Replaying them, though, I’m always pleasantly surprised by how fun they are!

@Garnet eyyyy, looks like Hoenn is a lot of people’s home region! I’m excited to hear all of your nostalgia for it!

@ActiveTransport deathless Red is way more than I ever hoped for, and I’m glad you’ve enjoyed following Chu’s quest so far!

@Kit_The_Feef I wasn’t quite planning to fake you out with the Halloween story, but I’m glad you read it and enjoyed it!

@Nebbles thank you so much, I can’t wait to share everybody’s love of Hoenn!

@songwithnosoul Finding Red was such a big deal to 9-year-old me that I still get chills whenever I go up Mt Silver, even now, even having done it a hundred times and knowing what’s up there ❤️ Now THAT’S what I call nostalgia! Time to get nostalgic about playing this game twenty years ago, and also the other runs from earlier this year XD
I don’t know if you highlighted the Kitten Cannon bit out of agreement or curiosity, but either way, it’s probably a good thing if that game is a casualty of the end of Flash :v
I wasn’t expecting the Blastoise to be almost as tough as the Snorlax to fight… but damn am I glad I prepared so much for the Snorlax XP
I absolutely did not call the Venusaur being last, but I do love the serendipity of it, of Padme taking out him and the Pikachu as she rises up as the superior starter :v
Beldam has proved herself a worthy heir to Kristy’s legacy! This series is really making me love the versatility of bugs as much as I hate the power of fighting-types XD
I’m still deciding about how to post the oneshot on AO3, but thank you so much for leaving comments here, they spark so much joy :D
It was SO much fun to actually describe the Pokemon from this run, give them a bit of personality and a little more life than static sprites on a screen ❤️ I can only imagine that Ariados is INCREDIBLY unnerving to watch move, and she probably psyches out a lot of opponents… unless they’re beyond scaring…
This oneshot is running on an inverse of the Roger Rabbit rules for the screenshot runs; whatever is true depends on what’s saddest at any given moment XP Which is why the fact that the Suicune is named Sonic is conspicuously left out; there’s no way that wouldn’t be a mood-killer XD
You know every time I see the opportunity to make something sad, I have to make it Sadder ;)
I’ve been watching the Vice series, the Young Resistance, which is about political activists around the world who are under twenty years old and the different causes they’re fighting for in different countries, and I love and am proud of them and also VERY angry at all the exhausting work these kids have to do because the adults aren’t doing it and it all gets channelled out here and in the direction of COP26 xp

@Skarmizard Gen II was better than Gen I on the movesets, buuuuut… still pretty weird XD
I stopped at 69 bc it’s the funny number and 420 isn’t an option without cheats, obviously :v
Sounds like everybody has stories about Hoenn, and I’m jazzed to hear them!

@Lumaeus welcome back! Glad to hear that your wrist and your computer are doing better! Looking forward to hearing your memories of playing Ruby with your mates :D
Plz look up at songwithnosoul, I have NO problem with long comments, I ADORE them, please share all of your thoughts :D
“It isn’t a misunderstanding of a pixel’s humanity, it’s an exercise of our own” holy shit you managed to distil all of my babble down to a single sentence, perfection! PRECISELY what I was going for!
The idea of Silver living with other homeless and recovering humans and Pokemon tugs at all of my feels 😭❤️
Pfft, haven’t read Pokemon Black in a while… a timeless classic :D
I was born in America, and used to visit semi-regularly to see relatives, though I haven’t been in a few years! I remember one road trip with my family where we’d get a single stack of pancakes at every hotel or the nearest diner every morning, and my mum, my brother and I would try to defeat it as a team effort… never managed it, not once :v But as my mum always points out, you’re SUPPOSED to take leftovers home from restaurants in America, that’s part of why the serving sizes are the way they are, unless it’s a Challenge Meal. In Japan, they just inhale huge quantities of food like Kirby and then run on to the next train O_O I think part of it is WHAT the large meals are; Japanese large meals are a bowl you could bathe a baby in full of noodles or rice with vegetables. Nothing particularly fatty or sugary, as you tend to get with a lot of American meals, and nothing deep-fried the way we do in America and Scotland :v (Haven’t ever done a Challenge Meal in America, but when I was about 11 I took on a 9-scoop ice cream cone in Italy, and won a tenner from my dad because I didn’t throw up ✊)
Awww, that’s a nice point about some of the Kanto leaders modelling healthy behaviour in response to a loss! As opposed to, say… Whitney and Clair XP

@PageEmperor wait no longer, the day has arrived!

Thank you again for following me through Johto, and haste ye back!

Users who are viewing this thread