• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Johto Teen Via Memory Lane IV: A Crystal Nostalgialocke

Thread Description
A newly feminine blast from the past. (Updates Wed-Fri-Sun. Part 29 up 15/10!)

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
My favourite ghost story? I don't really know. I've written a few myself, but... IDK if they're any good. I admit to reading a lot of Creepypastas, not because they are good, but because they are so bad that they're funny (Sonic. EXE comes to mind). Though there are a couple of spooky things I've read on the internet that genuinely unsettled me. Such as the Smiling Man. (The original Creepypasta, not the short film). Basically about a young woman who walks down an abandoned street at night and then she spots some random guy dancing in the middle of the street. As she gets closer, she notices something very off about the man. He has a creepy smile that is impossibly wide. He then randomly chases her, but when she gets to a more crowded area, he's gone. I didn't describe it very well. (Also, Scotland has women's only gyms that are trans-inclusive? That's awesome.)

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
Favorite ghost story, eh? Is it cheap to say my own writings count? I spin a fairly good yarn, I do! My super power is being a cute girl who excels at writing horror.

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Time for my at this point obligatory Grass/Ghost Erika comment!

So, back when I was planning the comment for Gold (never forget) I came up with a team for hypothetical Grass and Ghost Erika, then forgot it, so I came up with a new one.

Lv. 39 Bellossom
Lv. 41 Vileplume
Lv. 39 Mistreveavus
Lv. 41 Gengar

Apparently Erika's teams have a minor theme symmetry so I wanted retain that

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
i like to call all the hardy little plants i know weeds...i know traditionally they're unwanted things in manicured beds but i like to wish that strength on the things i care for specifically, and not just the things that mind their business where they were seeded. i don't mean to say that serleena was unwanted, but that serleena was strong, and persevered, and thrived in the harshest of places

ahhh ghost stories. i love them terribly. didn't grow up with too many due to the relative newness of all the cities around here (ah yes, industry towns, lovely). my highschool was presumably haunted by a antebellum little girl about 15 or the daughter of an construction worker from the 1950s (not sure why the difference, but there were definitely two versions) , who was murdered either by soldiers or died to a flu outbreak. regardless of the version, she was buried under the football field, and her spirit was enraged by the newness of the buildings, and she roams at night through the buildings crying. they say that if you catch her by the eye, you can feel the fear and pain she felt as she lay dying, and that your dreams will ever always smell like freshly turned dirt and will echo in your ears with the irreverence of a bunch of kids playing sports

a much better one was that if you walk the seawall at night in galveston, you might find yourself in a phantom of the great hurricane of 1900s. you might see the crest of ghostly waves surge over your head, and see the specters of people drawn back into the gulf. what's really fun is that you can actually tour some of the houses that survived, and see how that when they raised the island up a full story, the building's didn't adjust with it. whole floors now lie under sand and dirt, turned into basements flooded with memory...the world is calm but the sea is not. If you aren't careful you'll get swept up with it, and disappear as easily as the bodies did into the sea, with only half as much chance to reappear in the morning

im not super good at ghost story tellings, but it's fun for sure

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Spicing things up with TMs is always a blast. I never would have guessed that Ho-Oh could learn Zap Cannon, but just imagine that irl. This bird the size of a small plane, who is also on fire and shining so brightly you can barely look at it, is flinging gigantic balls of electricity that leave you unable to move if they make contact. Sheesh, Ho-Oh.

Ghost stories, uh, yeah. Not coming up with much. Can I put in a Catholic plug for giving us Halloween? It started off as All Hallows Eve, the night before All Saints Day on Nov 1. I guess while I'm on that vein, there were MULTIPLE occasions both pre- and post-Resurrection when his followers thought Jesus was a ghost. So, does the first half of the New Testament count as a ghost story?

songwithnosoul

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
@songwithnosoul I kinda wish Game Freak had put as much into re-introducing the other leaders as they did into Blue and Misty—some of them are still just hanging in their gyms, same as ever—but I guess I can’t complain too much since Blue and Misty are my favourite Kanto leaders XD
And then there's Blaine, standing sadly alone in his tiny cave room, who somehow manages to be a re-introduction and hanging around in what passes for his gym at the same time, except way sadder.

You know, that would be a cool touch, if Psychic trainers could recheck their moves under the hood after you select yours, as if they predicted your moves… 🤔
Hmm... It is a cool idea, though I think also it'd be difficult to balance to keep from disadvantaging you too much. It could only work sometimes, for sure, and hopefully wouldn't also extend to, like, switching in a Claydol if you picked an electric-type attack or something. Or at least save that 100% prediction accuracy for some sort of optional challenge...

wv78Pkq.png

Had a couple nasty losses in gyms lately, let’s hit up one that Padme can burn to the ground nae bother
Good ol' reliable Erika.

R5FvW64.png
XOPMWPX.png
gG7QsZ6.png

Look, Mr Sunglasses Indoors, I’m not judging how much you wanna recreationally blaze, it’s your life, but if you’re losing whole years you might wanna cut back a bit
hahaha

…Huh! This is a bit of Eusine lore I entirely forgot about! He’s from Celadon originally, huh? I guess the fact that he's just visiting implies he wasn’t around for the events of RBY, presumably off chasing weird sheep in Johto.
"weird sheep" A+ description!

1nN3S3r.png
zbQaKaq.png
kPG6e7t.png

I wonder if this is a translation error and it’s meant to be Poliwhirl, not Poliwrath? Poliwrath is as evolved as it’s getting, but it’s already a pretty damn strong frog!
I can't find any proof of it, but I'm pretty sure that it must be. This would make perfect sense as a hint to the player that Politoed exists if it's a mistranslation.

0WrCZ9z.png
dDsOyfH.png

Just popping up the condos… good to know Game Freak has a nap room cunningly disguised as a meeting room :P
hah

0hfgUQs.png
m6Jpnko.png

And a great many fascinating and bizarre youtube and twitch careers run off this fine art
Pokémon really does have some of the best bugs in all of video game history! Quite an accomplishment, really.

qZra0yo.png
RGiRq7g.png

Just like my writing desk!
aww.

What kind of ghost story is that? Nobody even dies horribly!
Ah, and of course you'd be a connoisseur of such things.

King James III of Scotland was pretty unpopular, ineffective as a monarch and showing a lot of favouritism to a small group of councillors who used him to line their own pockets. A rebellion broke out, with his eldest son as the figurehead, and King James III was killed at the Battle of Sauchieburn in 1488. His son became King James IV, but always felt guilty about the death of his father. For the rest of his life, he wore an iron chain around his waist, adding another link every year until he atoned for the death of his father.
Some say his soul is still restless with guilt. During Lent, sometimes you can see him at Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle or Linlithgow Palace, pacing and weeping for his father, the iron chain trailing from his waist, longer and longer, more than five hundred links long and still growing every year, and no matter how long you look the chain doesn't stop growing, as his weeping gets louder and louder as he screams for forgiveness that may never come...
Ooh, nice one. Eerie. The ever-growing chain is a great visual.

While I’m thinking about it, let’s get the new kids some fun TMs! Gen II Dig isn’t great so it’s about time Padme got something new
What? After all this talk about how Dig is the best and perhaps the only real move, you're saying it "isn't that great"? It's like I don't even know this run's iteration of you anymore!

ByA6uLT.png
1bNhrXf.png
SIlO35b.png
JAe0Ijc.png

This was the FUNNIEST goddamn thing when I was a kid, but now that I think about it, it would have been kinda cool if you could crawl around the abandoned base, find a bunch of wild Pokemon running around down there, stuff like that.
Alas, that's probably another thing that couldn't fit on the cartridge.

Good news! I just surfed over on Suicune, who purifies water by running on it!
F to all the Grimer. Purified out of existence. What a way to go.

MP1Xu1u.png
5rxjzA9.png
2mQ4qB3.png

Girls can lose everything on the slots too! #Feminism!
Hahaha ouch.

UbXf8Hv.png
gLrd7Lk.png
xWxVgsI.png

Speaking of, let’s go burn this gym down, starting with this guy in particular!
Imagine having the chance to get rid of this guy in the sequels and deciding to bring him back instead. And you can't even actually set him on fire in-game! Gross.

e26ibCm.png
Jvw0BCu.png
EeOWTo7.png
6M66LgG.png

Sadly, they didn’t actually get a chance to use any moves :P
Haha. Brutal.

Adorable team! And IRL I go to a women-only gym, which is actually great because the vibe of the place is very chill, and Gym Bros have always been one of the biggest stress factors about going to the gym for me. It’s trans-inclusive, too, so it’s a safer place for some friends of mine to go than most gyms around here. It’s unfortunate that such places are a necessity, but the world being what it is, they are, and sadly it looks like they are on Pokearth too, going by the dude outside.
Nice! Sounds like a good place. Even if it's a shame it's such a necessity.

I think it’s cute how everyone is like “from Johto? Cool!” whenever you first meet them, either because they’re excited to meet a tourist or because they’re excited that you already have so many badges XD
Aww. That's a nice way to go about it.

After how stressful this gym was on my Gen I runs, letting Padme off the chain is IMMENSELY satisfying 🔥
For sure! Even as a reader, it's great to see one gym that's so thoroughly handled.

VYwecv6.png

Thank you for the present, I shall use it to make my giant spider much more effective at draining life!
That's a terrifying way to put it, thank you!

What's your favourite ghost story? The more 'orrible and bloody the better, for me :P
Hmm. I'm not a connoisseur of ghost stories the way that you are, so I'm not sure if I have a favourite. One that comes to mind and I think should satisfy your requirements, though. This is a semi-famous one, one that I first heard on a podcast called And That's Why We Drink and then refreshed my memory on this website, and it's about a supposedly cursed chair (formerly) in a pub in Yorkshire. I won't be able to tell it as well as the podcast, but I'll give it my best shot anyway. In the early 1700s there was a fellow named Busby, an inn owner who also happened to be a petty crook with a drinking problem and a bad temper. His father-in-law was supposedly cut from a similar cloth, and the two of them ended up having a fight involving Busby's wife and also his favourite chair that ended with the father-in-law being bludgeoned to death with a hammer. Despite his best efforts to hide his tracks, Busby was caught and gibbeted right outside of his own inn. But they say that he laid a curse before he died; not on the town, or the inn, or the executioner, but on that chair, and anybody else who tries to take it for their own.

Because, you see, as the story goes, anybody who sits in it dies.

Maybe the curse took a while to kick in, or maybe it just took people a while to make the connection, because the first attributed death is actually in 1895, of a chimney sweep who innocently sat in it while drinking with a friend. Because, remember, this chair was at an inn. The inn stayed open and eventually became a pub and the chair sat there out in the open all that time, tempting victims. And apparently it was determined to make up for lost time in the 20th century, because its number of attributed victims went well into the double digits. I don't actually want to linger on the details of the deaths because they're relatively recent, but it was indiscriminate, reportedly killing not just people who sat on it with full knowledge of the supposed curse but also those who bumped into it by accident. And despite its supposed deadliness becoming something of a tourist attraction, the owners of the pub did nothing to block it off for decades. It was briefly moved to the cellar in the 1970s (very, very carefully, I can only assume) before supposedly claiming one last victim anyway, and then the owner gave it away to the Thirsk Museum in North Yorkshire, where it remains to this day. In the museum, it hangs from hooks high on a wall, so that, at long last, nobody can sit on it.

Last edited:

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura man door hand hook car door is an ARTISTIC piece of word salad humour, though I actually remember hearing the horror story that it’s a mangling of at Brownie camp as a kid. I remember being pretty scared of it, though that’s likely due to how good the girl telling it was at building up the tension and fear of the girl waiting in the car for her boyfriend to come back… and also her friend jumping out of the darkness with a scary yell at the peak of the story XD

@FPFP66 Time is even more of an illusion than it ever was, we’re gonna stop counting the calender by years and start counting it by lockdowns XP
Now I’m concerned about what I might have inhaled while Padme was burning Erika’s gym down…

@Kit_The_Feef If you want good, genuinely creepy creepypastas, check out the YouTube channel Night Mind, which explores all sorts of horror unfiction projects and has done deep dives into some of my favourites! I don’t know if Scotland has a LOT of trans-inclusive gyms, but I’m glad mine is :D

@Nebbles How dare you rec your own horror and then not share links?! Scare me dammit!

@Time Master Eon Solid team for Gen II, though if we have access to all of Pokemon, I’d love to give her Trevenant and Gourgeist!

@bhelryss I respect your take on weeds, which is correct and true <3
Also how can you say you’re not good at ghost stories and then send creeps up my entire spine? I was already scared of the sea but somehow you made it SCARIER. The concept of encountering the ghost of a STORM is incredible, I love it and fear it intensely
For some reason there’s always little girl ghost stories? There was supposedly the ghost of a wee girl in my hometown’s Tesco. The story went was that she was one of the child workers in the Nobel dynamite factory that used to be there and died when it blew up (in actual fact, while that factory was there, it didn’t explode. It just closed.) I don’t think she’d do anything, but people insisted that if you walked by the Tesco at night, you’d see her running around near the ceiling, where a floor level used to be.
The hometown ghost story I really like is about my primary school. It was a high school from about the 1830s to the 1950s, and during World War I, a bunch of the boys who graduated went to war. When recruiters started getting desperate because of the huge death rate and letting just about anybody sign up, a whole class of 15/16-year-old boys went and signed up together, still under the impression that there was some kind of glory to be had. They were all killed at the Somme. At night, though, they sometimes come back to play football on the old pitch. If you hear them or get a glimpse of them from a distance, don’t go closer; they won’t do anything to you, they won’t even notice you, but after the machine guns, shells and gas, they’re not looking too good.

@ActiveTransport honestly if there’s any part of the New Testament that’s a ghost story surely it’s the part after the Crucifixion where you get Zombie Jesus

@songwithnosoul I first heard the story of King James III from my high school history teacher, who did like telling ‘orrible ghost stories, and was really good at building up his voice to build the tension as he told you about the chains growing longer and longer and the king’s wails growing louder and louder and then BANG! He’d hit the underside of his desk with his knee and make us all jump out of our skins XDXDXD
I said Gen II Dig isn’t great! They over-nerfed it from 100BP to just 60BP! Which is still nae bad I guess but Earthquake, for Gen II at least, is definitely better.
Ooooh, I think I’ve heard of that cursed chair! I think I can get why they kept that—people will be all “I obviously don’t REALLY believe that the chair is evil and cursed hahaha” when they fully do believe it, and I’m sure there was good money in people getting drunk and daring each other to sit on the chair or buying each other drinks as bribes to sit on the chair… and if an accident happens to that person the next day, or an illness, well, obviously we don’t believe it was the chair, but… wellll… nah we’re just gonna sit over here today. It’s fine. I’m sure it’s fine. (Glad to hear the chair is safe from being sat on down, at least!)

Hello and welcome back to my Crystal nostalgialocke! Last time, we hung out in Celadon a little before letting Padme obliterate Erika’s gym. This time…

pClS4VS.png
5KBtsiJ.png
flhlsPy.png
hZYeWTM.png
Q99Yx5K.png
hb2biWz.png

zuveHT9.jpg

vDPGMfF.png
VxmPEf8.png
4Ij0Aww.png

I wanted to pop into the Celadon restaurant because I saw a couple of eating contests in Japan and they are MINDBLOWING. I feel like the typical American image of an eating contest is a table full of people sitting in front of giant heaps of food, or a titanic single item of food, but the ones I saw in Japan were more about a large volume of little dishes. I attended one contest to cheer on one of my students, a 13-year-old boy—most of the competitors were young men, though there were a couple of teenage girls too. There were cooks responsible for cooking gigantic vats of soba noodles and dishing them out into the little bowls that rolled by the competitors on a sushi conveyor, and competitors would just be grabbing a bowl, tossing it back, dropping the bowl in a basket behind them, and keep going, as fast as possible. My student ate eighty-nine bowls in a minute, and he wasn’t even the winner! One of the teenage girls won with one hundred and sixteen bowls in that same minute. Almost two bowls per second.

OPQ4apx.png
QAmF4Un.png
hm5EhVI.png

In general, I was constantly astounded by how much food Japanese people can pack away. Whenever I stopped by a noodle bar for cheap eats, the serving sizes were always huge and I’d struggle to finish them, and yet I’d see people sit down nearby, get their bowl, somehow inhale it all in about three minutes, and then be away again. I have no idea how some people were as slim as they were, eating the amount of food I saw them eat. Is it the stress? Tokyo’s a hella stressful place to live.

J1gisjO.png
Z5M6hpd.png
AE6U6d1.png

I’ll say this, though, I never had a bad meal. They don’t seem to have cheap food in Japan, just food you don’t pay a lot of money for, if that makes sense. Like, I’ve had cheap food, like a poke of chips you can tell is garbage but it’s cheap and it’s hot and it’s exactly what you need after leaving the pub, but all the food I had in Japan was good. I had hundred-yen bowls of ramen that were delicious. They just do not do bad food in Japan, and then even by those standards, Osaka’s well-known as the home of the best food, which I can confirm is true. Johto’s based on the Kansai region, so I think Goldenrod is meant to be a mishmash of Osaka and the more modern parts of Kyoto, while Ecruteak is more, like, the Gion district and other historical parts of Kyoto.

mfUFmQC.png
NdN21BR.png

Anyhoodle, time to nyoom!

I2zqIIM.png
KuiMYGJ.png

I futzed around with TMs a little more, and Beldam’s moveset is turning downright JUICY

P8e7TES.png
HN3ZBIa.png

Time to get to the real home of the ninja!

EHZDk3K.png
U5XNaNv.png

Home of quick-change acts to make any stage director swoon!

a9qv8NI.png
f4cDPui.png
QvweUP9.png
UyVtzhP.png
C0TDN8O.png
VQYbs0R.png
JNtFSLk.png

Did he remember to take his teeth with him, at least?

vewul9X.png
yX2oLOj.png
PhtSJGb.png

It’s honestly kinda sad, the overall vibe of the closed Safari Zone.

Koet41x.png
nbglWhn.png
Aad4FmK.png
b1sLhAr.png
kSkq2dS.png

The dismantled zoo, the empty offices, the fact that there isn’t any sort of door at all to the former Safari Zone… it’s all very melancholy.

diujoJW.png
ZMqYTwB.png
XNNM74c.png

You get the feeling that Fuchsia’s suffering from losing its main source of income, that it’s gone quiet. It’s really sad.

BQUmdS5.png
IGamm7T.png
ZZihy7q.png
i6ak976.png
qJ8NZVE.png

But they seem pretty proud of their ninjas, and that’s cool for them! Ninjas are cool!

8QTktsM.png
wo5TPxq.png
vMm60GP.png

I love the gimmick of this gym, that everybody’s disguised as Janine. It’s a cool psychological trick. Guess what else is cool?

O3RvtwX.png
QAAyMaG.png
JahS2Tv.png
hDScFwU.png
pM7Uwjs.png

A giant spider with Psychic! That Venusaur’s pretty tanky, but luckily Razor Leaf doesn’t do much against Beldam

6shALBL.png
5DKZJro.png
bhr90FH.png
R1CLvXa.png
BcYwkpF.png
vSDvQKi.png

A bunch of them are Lasses and Picnickers, trainer classes that look younger than Janine, and I like the vibe that these girls look up to Janine and wanna be like her

bhx3TPw.png
0LDSaYE.png
JFUdPJe.png

And a boy or two, too! You can also read Barry as a trans girl who isn’t out yet, or a trans boy who’s remained part of the gym, which are both very cool, but also very cool is for cis boys to look up to girls, think they’re cool, and feel no shame in being GNC! Now THIS gym is feminism

cBsRWNx.png
2yp3Z7b.png

Cute as hell! You keep doing you, Barry!

Xv19l8X.png
oVThywl.png
ECyiUmi.png
QdzHXw1.png
nQbyZp2.png
mzF0zRa.png
GIjcYms.png

Rude. For that, my giant spider is gonna wiggle the shit out of your Pokemon.

2ZWShTM.png

Almost none of the ninjas in the gym landed a hit on Beldam, so I only ever had to pop out for heals to restore PP.

z8wOBCm.png
xlDuXFA.png
50WGZdL.png
Zy4peNc.png
F4QepRx.png
toAJoJ1.png
LI1xmYc.png

Characterization note that is massively underappreciated, including by me: Janine is an absolute troll

hW6DDRf.png
vBhSa5V.png
hCDmjfl.png
eTLs1BD.png
i0lXenu.png
1c6SKep.png
ewEP9Fb.png

Like her father before her, Janine likes to spam status moves, so I guess I got lucky on picking a berry for Beldam!

siNNUdR.png
wMbO9ld.png
aINMvHo.png
ukxWA27.png

I’m guessing Janine only having Pokemon in their 30s is due to her being the newest Kanto leader, but it does also make this all a bit embarrassing

3WtwBbd.png
2QS9g9H.png
HJ6L182.png
OCJD6JZ.png

You know, when I first caught her, I would not have predicted Beldam becoming a gym sweeper, but I guess that’s what happens when you add Psychic to your movepool! Also again I have like twelve badges, facing a team of 30-somethings is just cruel

owylnLG.png
HTuGjBN.png
UhGAHRS.png

And to cap it all off, Beldam asserts dominance as the superior Ariados!

4VORk6k.png
zPiYQhZ.png
AKEr6xL.png

Yeah, Beldam VERY definitely won…

YHwgWUV.png
LZo81ms.png
0Y4NBwr.png
kYa0n53.png
HvASYKi.png

Every time I see this TM my trash fire of a brain immediately starts singing you know damn well what

vU9E4he.png
gSEBgfX.png
1q3HV0v.png
bSSkBRU.png

Good for you! You won’t get stronger than me, but do your best!

auIvNIE.png
E6svfyk.png

It feels very appropriate that, as soon as we head onwards, James evolves into Venomoth!

That makes the team fully evolved, by Gen II standards, and we’ve got a few whacking great routes full of trainers between here and Lavender to train ‘em up on, so I’ll go do that. Until then, I found this mini-article squirreled away in one of my old mags:

tXTwHdS.jpg

I don't remember reading anywhere else that Blue was a special offer in Japanese children's magazines, but that's super interesting! Also I wanted to share old NOM UK's skill in making funny screencap comments long before the rise of screenshot runs :P

Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
man don't even get me STARTED on the humanization of natural phenomena. if you give a thing a name, and ascribe to it personality, then why shouldn't it get a ghost of its own. phantom forests still prowled by the ancient things that lived there, once upon a millenia, and the noises of people in caves long abandoned...the world is rife with a history of living things, and things that don't have hearts or mouths or nerve endings...we made storms into people, we shouldn't be surprised when they act like one. if a thing can be "born", and a thing can "die", is that not enough to leave an impression behind?

[edited in: ghosts are just what the earth remembers, yeah? so it makes sense to me that storms and even natural hazards like faults and earrthquakes and floods even could get a ghost. people are super cool but not super unique, there's been a lot of life on our planet that it could remember. there's been a lot of activity on our planet that it could remember. i like to think of the ghost of mountains, the children of millions of years of our planet's very life. their slow descent back into their component parts to be made anew year after year

i've done a lot of thinking about the supernatural and mundane lenses over the way that we as people go about our lives, and the ways every aspect of existence can be seeded with a compassionate awareness in pursuit of my own original fiction, and i've found that committing to that aspect of ourselves that makes roombas into family members and the like, and applying it to unconventional things like glaciers and mountains and even storms has really expanded the ways i can make impactful fiction/ghost stories/etc

wait hang on what was my point.

oh yeah. i think folks know what to expect from ghost stories, so shaking things up with a change of what the ghost IS from a fundamental point leaves people more open to being spooked/impacted/etc. not all ghost stories need to be scary, they can be sad, or joyous or whatever. the ghost story should be as varied as there are people, i guess is what i'm saying]

i think that because people aren't used to really confronting the way we ascribe humanity and emotional intent to other things, it's really easy to hit that spooky mark when you shine a spotlight to it. so my favorite thing to do is work with stuff like that when i make up a ghost story

ANYWAY THAT WAS A LOT OF WAFFLING TO SAY THAT I AM FASCINATED BY THE IMPLICATIONS OF WHAT GETS A GHOST. i love ghosts and ghost stories and im glad that it worked as intended sldkfj

japanese pokemon blue really out here being the sophisticated uptown version of those cereal box video games you could only get if you ate enough shitty breakfast food

Last edited:

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
The dismantled zoo, the empty offices, the fact that there isn’t any sort of door at all to the former Safari Zone… it’s all very melancholy.
I love it. It reminds me a bit, fair or unfair, of Pokémon Mansion. The haunting reminder that time goes on.

that, and a lack of cartridge space.
too! You can also read Barry as a trans girl who isn’t out yet
I thought you meant DPPT Barry at first. Let’s remember this if/when you get to Gen 4.

Every time I see this TM my trash fire of a brain immediately starts singing you know damn well what

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Gotta love giant Psychic Spiders! Janine's gym is cool. Too bad she was screwed over by having significantly weaker mons than average. Also, Pinsir. I wouldn't let it in my car, if I could drive.

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
but also very cool is for cis boys to look up to girls, think they’re cool, and feel no shame in being GNC!
Hell yeah, can relate! I don't remember how much I admired female figures as a kid, admittedly…but hey, today I'm a cis man who looks up to women and thinks they're cool, so I did end up at this point, at least!

Three cheers for Beldam sweeping the (admittedly very easy) Fuchsia Gym! I like Ariados, even if it's not a great Pokémon. Maybe it's because I like spiders irl—I like watching tiny ones crawl around inside, and I like looking at big ones when they're safely behind glass in a zoo.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Heck yeah Ariados! It's from Johto, and it's a Bug-type, and it learns some kickass moves. What's not to love?

It's hard for me to think of James the Venomoth as James Bond. He seems like the kind of Pokemon that James from Team Rocket would train, so that's who he's going to be in my head from now on.

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
Ohohoho!! Well, I have a few horror fics I haven't published yeeeet (as one is for a zine, the other is to be published at the end of the month), but I'll get my faves from ao3!!

Here's one if you like Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia! A Super Fun AU about your close friend being a cultist and betraying you :) Mind the tags! https://archiveofourown.org/works/25694419

Here's something for my favorite series, Octopath Traveler! A bit of fun describing monsters and having Suspense and Mystery ooo: https://archiveofourown.org/works/31277753

Here's an unfinished (due to... Reasons) series for FE: Three Houses that answers the questions: What If The Relics Were Haunted? https://archiveofourown.org/works/26823553/chapters/65440396

songwithnosoul

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
I wanted to pop into the Celadon restaurant because I saw a couple of eating contests in Japan and they are MINDBLOWING. I feel like the typical American image of an eating contest is a table full of people sitting in front of giant heaps of food, or a titanic single item of food, but the ones I saw in Japan were more about a large volume of little dishes. I attended one contest to cheer on one of my students, a 13-year-old boy—most of the competitors were young men, though there were a couple of teenage girls too. There were cooks responsible for cooking gigantic vats of soba noodles and dishing them out into the little bowls that rolled by the competitors on a sushi conveyor, and competitors would just be grabbing a bowl, tossing it back, dropping the bowl in a basket behind them, and keep going, as fast as possible. My student ate eighty-nine bowls in a minute, and he wasn’t even the winner! One of the teenage girls won with one hundred and sixteen bowls in that same minute. Almost two bowls per second.
Wow, that's wild! Perhaps the most surprising thing you've revealed about Japan so far in the Memory Lane runs. How anybody could manage that without puking, I'll never know. Even a teenager.

I’ll say this, though, I never had a bad meal. They don’t seem to have cheap food in Japan, just food you don’t pay a lot of money for, if that makes sense. Like, I’ve had cheap food, like a poke of chips you can tell is garbage but it’s cheap and it’s hot and it’s exactly what you need after leaving the pub, but all the food I had in Japan was good.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. That's pretty impressive! I wonder how they manage to have such high standards without prices to match.

They just do not do bad food in Japan, and then even by those standards, Osaka’s well-known as the home of the best food, which I can confirm is true. Johto’s based on the Kansai region, so I think Goldenrod is meant to be a mishmash of Osaka and the more modern parts of Kyoto, while Ecruteak is more, like, the Gion district and other historical parts of Kyoto.
I enjoyed this Japanese food talk! It's genuinely interesting. Thank you for sharing.

mfUFmQC.png
NdN21BR.png

Anyhoodle, time to nyoom!
Ha. "Nyoom" is such a delightful word.

I2zqIIM.png
KuiMYGJ.png

I futzed around with TMs a little more, and Beldam’s moveset is turning downright JUICY
Ooh, yes! Her power is growing, as you foretold!

diujoJW.png
ZMqYTwB.png
XNNM74c.png

You get the feeling that Fuchsia’s suffering from losing its main source of income, that it’s gone quiet. It’s really sad.
Yeah. I feel in general like Gen II Kanto is a little sad, with all of the things that were removed because of cartridge limitations. Admittedly, this is a secondhand impression. In Gen IV, at least they could bring Cerulean Cave back and put in a new Safari Zone in Cianwood and the Pal Park where the Fuchsia Safari Zone used to be, and of course Blaine's "disco cave" with his contingent of Gym Trainers keeping him company, so the remakes overall come off as more optimistic. To me, at least.

8QTktsM.png
wo5TPxq.png
vMm60GP.png

I love the gimmick of this gym, that everybody’s disguised as Janine. It’s a cool psychological trick.
Yeah, very true! Way better than trash cans!

O3RvtwX.png
QAAyMaG.png
JahS2Tv.png
hDScFwU.png
pM7Uwjs.png

A giant spider with Psychic! That Venusaur’s pretty tanky, but luckily Razor Leaf doesn’t do much against Beldam
Damn! She's really growing into her spot on the team now!

A bunch of them are Lasses and Picnickers, trainer classes that look younger than Janine, and I like the vibe that these girls look up to Janine and wanna be like her
Aww. That's such a sweet way of looking at it.

bhx3TPw.png
0LDSaYE.png
JFUdPJe.png

And a boy or two, too! You can also read Barry as a trans girl who isn’t out yet, or a trans boy who’s remained part of the gym, which are both very cool, but also very cool is for cis boys to look up to girls, think they’re cool, and feel no shame in being GNC! Now THIS gym is feminism
Yeah, "cis boy who isn't embarrassed to look like a girl" is how I always read him, and that's cool!

Rude. For that, my giant spider is gonna wiggle the shit out of your Pokemon.
Love that description of Psychic's animation!

z8wOBCm.png
xlDuXFA.png
50WGZdL.png
Zy4peNc.png
F4QepRx.png
F4QepRx.png
toAJoJ1.png
LI1xmYc.png

Characterization note that is massively underappreciated, including by me: Janine is an absolute troll
As, I suppose, is fitting for a poison master. And someone who dressed all her Gym Trainers like her to disorient challengers. I like how she even shares her dad's Evil Japanese Laugh.

3WtwBbd.png
2QS9g9H.png
HJ6L182.png
OCJD6JZ.png

You know, when I first caught her, I would not have predicted Beldam becoming a gym sweeper, but I guess that’s what happens when you add Psychic to your movepool! Also again I have like twelve badges, facing a team of 30-somethings is just cruel
Even so, she's doing really well! Is this her big badass moment, I wonder, or is that still to come?

auIvNIE.png
E6svfyk.png

It feels very appropriate that, as soon as we head onwards, James evolves into Venomoth!
Aww, lookit those eyes! So cute! Let's hope he turns out to be badass too!

I don't remember reading anywhere else that Blue was a special offer in Japanese children's magazines, but that's super interesting! Also I wanted to share old NOM UK's skill in making funny screencap comments long before the rise of screenshot runs :P
Yeah, that is really interesting. I'd never heard it either, but I found an article writing more about this special offer, including scans from the magazine in question--Corocoro, which I'm already a little familiar with because it's the one that Pokémon Special runs in, chapter by chapter. Its history with Pokémon apparently goes all the way back.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@bhelryss Okay I just gotta say I love everything you have to say about nonhuman ghosts, and also if you’re not listening to Old Gods of Appalachia you really should. Nothing has ever surprised me less than learning that the Appalachians and the Highlands are the same mountain range, long separated and ground low with age, but. I think they remember. They’re still here, but at the same time, sometimes you look up at them and the ghost of the height they once reached towers over you, and every long-dead person who once walked here walks with you, and all of you owe your respect and reverence to some of the earth's eldest children, even if you've been here for such a brief time they may not have noticed you yet.
Basically it’s The Vibes. I adore them.

@FPFP66 tbh I mostly read Barry as a hyperenergetic twink because of how he is exactly the same person as a longtime friend of mine who is an extremely hyperenergetic twink. I don’t know how his boyfriend keeps up with him.

@Kit_The_Feef I love Janine as a character, it’s just a shame she’s hit so hard with being the New Kid On The Block XP God, can you imagine the damage Pinsir would do to your car roof? Put that guy in a pokeball!

@QuietGuardian I’m a fan of spiders in their capacity as the dudes who eat all of the flies and midges that want to bite me, but I am not a fan of them touching me XP I am a very big fan of Beldam in her capacity as the big psychic spider who wins badges!

@ActiveTransport honestly, I have to agree that James the Venomoth became Team Rocket James in my head, possibly because of the purple XD Also because James Rocket is a better spy than James Bond. And a generally better person.

@Nebbles thanks for the links! I’m afraid I don’t go here for any of these three (only Fire Emblems I’ve played are Awakening, Birthright and Conquest :v) but hopefully somebody else on this thread finds some good spoops here!

@songwithnosoul I have no idea how Japanese people eat the way they do but I am in awe of them and fear their great power
I listened to the latest episode of Kill James Bond before posting the last update so I was trying SO hard to fit in a “naughty Pokemon go in the Bond Wiggler” joke somewhere but there really wasn’t a smooth place for it XP
I am really glad that some of the melancholy vibe of timeskip Kanto was lifted in HGSS, though it also works on a meta level because Kanto is no longer the old hometown that we’ve all moved on from because Game Freak will not stop remaking it every few years XDXDXD
Awww, it’s quite cool to see that Corocoro’s got that much history with Pokemon! A seminal publication, for sure :D

Hello and welcome back to my Crystal nostalgialocke! Last time, we beat Kanto’s newest Leader, and shortly afterwards, James evolved. Let’s crack on from some highlights from the ensuing training monstage!

pClS4VS.png
5KBtsiJ.png
flhlsPy.png
hZYeWTM.png
3WMONf8.png
hb2biWz.png

XjZVbbq.jpg

(The team lineup and badge lineup are both chronological, so it's just coincidence, but it amuses me that Misty's badge lines up with Suicune and Janine's with James XD)

5SylSCr.png

I… think that’s a pointer she’s holding? I hope it’s a pointer and not a cane. I had an art teacher in high school who had been teaching for approximately ten billion years and had hated children for all of them, still had a cane he used to use before corporal punishment was made illegal in the eighties (and probably for a while after, knowing him), and would sometimes take it out and yell at us about how much he wishes he could still cane us when we were misbehaving because we were 13 and given access to paints. Ahhhh, high school.

e8KjEQ2.png
UZA3ZNF.png
F3cSOjG.png
fPWUD9Y.png

This is an utterly buckwild trade, but I kinda like it because you can not only catch Chansey in the wild in Gen II, you can get them in this specific patch of grass—they’re rare, but easier to get than in the Safari Zone! Since there’s nowhere to get Old Amber in the game, this is a difficult but achievable way to get Aerodactyl.

5iIwKeC.png
285c7y1.png

For some reason, a bunch of trainers scattered about Gen II have the Bulbasaur line, but not so many have Squirtle or Charmander, except one guy on Route 14 who has all three Kanto starters. Look at Squirtle and Charmander! They’re so cute, I love them 😭

tYZkiAy.png
BEt75jw.png

I can never quite get the hang of this maze, I always end up backtracking a dozen times

M2ets7e.png
ZvtkTpU.png
SXMjk2g.png

Sprite time! Slowking is a pretty cool alternate evolution, shame you almost never see it in Gen II. I like the Farfetch’d sprite, looks like he’s having a wee dance. I’m not so big on this Gyarados sprite, which I believe was taken from Silver rather than Gold—it’s not bad, but I always liked the big circular sprite from Gold. I think the foreshortening on this one isn’t quite right, so it looks weirdly proportioned rather than looming.

mgoPM2f.png
vVmWZwI.png

Then looping back through Vermilion… I’m afraid, mate, that there is SO much cheating in Pokemon, but it results in some really wild glitches and cool shinies, so there’s that!

Zq0a4NY.png
3J2wkQK.png
hd1gjWg.png
BwIWALn.png

Alrighty, big man, you’re the triumphant finale of the training montage, let’s gooooo!

TsLE6S6.png
UfBSRJ9.png

Level 50 is slightly higher than I was expecting this dude to be, but we can handle this

cppZN9V.png
UgsjTk0.png
ABoQwGN.png

Landing some defense drops would be nice, because it’s really difficult to whittle this big man down between his HP, his defense and those Leftovers

8FwfEUI.png
cUUW3eE.png

I got a few in the course of grinding him down to the point where he used Rest, thankfully, but it took a BUNCH of Max Potions just to keep Padme alive along the way, and a couple of Full Restores whenever he landed a Body Slam that inflicted paralysis

Co6X5e9.png
ehEBTId.png

Yep, I’d say we sufficiently buggered up his defense stat!

rzL1iTa.png
w7yFkuD.png

Cyndaquil is the BEST Johto starter I do not care what ANYBODY says, Padme is my GIRL

3NTZhjN.png
Yz1Iqh7.png
ERs1Fnb.png
77fjrwE.png

That done, time to take one last ride through Diglett’s Tunnel before Arena Trap gets invented!

PdMD11K.png

…not that it would be a problem, apparently

8dBfCek.png

I’m kind of only now (at the time of playing) really grasping that Kanto really isn’t the second half of the game, it’s postgame content. An entire country of postgame content. Oi, Game Freak, how about we get back on this? I don’t feel like Crown Tundra and Isle of Armour count because a) you had to pay for that shit and b) both areas combined are much smaller and have less going on than The Whole Entire Kanto, I feel. Returning to a region and seeing how they’ve done since the original game plot is a delight that was only replicated in BW2 and should be done more often.

FsUkX6S.png
hhIuPIp.png

Fundamental property of shorts, I’m afraid, kiddo, even if they ARE comfy and easy to wear

Ek1zN11.png

On to Pewter!

BSegLzp.png
VVXPkkk.png
PYBmlfc.png
yoH8PQb.png
7lpYjeh.png
4Bgn5Xx.png
duGNDkL.png
e1Dg7B4.png
9mC5vE6.png

I love this. I love that you get a key item that allows you to summon one of the rarest and most powerful Pokemon in the game as a reward for letting an old man talk to you about his glory days. I appreciate an RPG that rewards you for poking around everywhere and talking to everyone. (Also, honestly, in real life, chatting with old folk is a good thing to do. Obviously you don’t have to give your time to anybody who makes you uncomfortable, but a lot of old folks are struggling with loneliness and taking part in any programs or social events to support elders can make a big difference to them. Plus, you can sometimes hear some amazing stories, things about the history of your community or city or country that you might not hear anywhere else, cool travel stories. Also sometimes, unprompted, they will casually confess to putting rat poison in the dinner of their abusive father in the thirties while telling you about how the secret to longevity is green beans. It’s great.)

wvBgHOg.png
WeVsRvG.png
iGvMnAy.png

God I miss travel

iqqnGTZ.png
FNjbP9A.png
WWJGheU.png
Fv49dGo.png

Even the museums are still closed. There’s gotta be something to do around here!

oCgpy8U.png

Do they still count as bloodsports if you’re fighting living rocks?

DvtSByi.png
JmiqXDa.png
K4eXEFv.png
pu5BvA0.png
kFv5A3u.png

The battle could go a long time, huh?

x1XHCSN.png
2a6V4C9.png
hIhQCOL.png
5SPVHoG.png

Or not.

S2VkwFX.png
mEjOtpX.png
txXpOsz.png

That would be why I brought a Suicune to a rock fight!

OTuUdc0.png
1PIoZy7.png
a6sSJ3i.png
L0BsVrb.png
O6oYVf0.png
Dzn2TJh.png
riWJfEx.png
ZfbItkA.png
WL1vfc3.png

I like Brock’s much more chill vibe in Gen II, though. He’s not flexing or showing off or anything. He’s just chillin in a t-shirt and trainers, just here to have a fun time

9RrtIhN.png

Sonic dealt with the Explosion threat pretty handily…

71Rw2rC.png
6awzE4G.png

…Beldam handled the fossils (side note, I like that Brock has these, both because he’s covering his bases pretty well as a Rock leader and also because he’s nearby the museum, I dunno, I think it’s a neat wee bit of overlap)…

qQaCzD7.png
8APtyZX.png
k1amEd3.png
1TWCaw8.png

…and then Suicune cleaned up, nae tother a baw!

2p0nAbl.png
0F766mw.png
mkQ0e3Q.png
JSGn3kC.png

Cannae blame you, mate, I’d be upset too about getting bodied that hard.

YsasqIY.png

Think I’ll pop out to Mt Moon too, while I’m in the neighbourhood, you know!

2HJIIDO.png
zbpZrLH.png

The gym battles I’ve been showing have all been handled by the Johto half of the team—Padme, Sonic and Beldam—for probably obvious reasons, but Amelia, James and Velma have all been taking their turns on the EXP share and handling some lesser trainer battles on their own. Without grinding, it’s gonna take a wee while to get them up to speed, but we’re working on it.

R2RExON.png

Mt Moon is much smaller in Gen II, not as much going on, which isn’t really explained ingame but I’ve always personally put down to another geological effect of the volcanic eruption on Cinnabar. There’s only one (1) trainer in Mt Moon, and he’s a familiar face!

wUpqqlf.png
E8PTUee.png

God, aye, what’s it been, since Part 19? How’s Kanto treating you? Everybody seems to go wild for a trainer from Johto around here, huh?

vXrZqMt.png
xhOzgul.png
FgpnY8f.png
FuJX1lS.png
Xjr4ejN.png
qlakpGw.png

Is the answer “grinding to level 100”? Because I gotta tell you, that’ll probably net you a LOT of wins

41eLAIq.png
0Sh4Gfx.png
AgV1CUq.png

Hi kitty! Bye kitty!

nn4lUNL.png
kOPxVAu.png
Jpc392Z.png
iSPIL1o.png

I do love how tanky Feraligatr are, except when I have to fight them. Good thing Beldam’s self-healing while we hack away here!

y8MVwqL.png
EBnpX3p.png
Jh4XtFz.png
ljuIldr.png

MegaGator vs Giant Spider should be the sequel to Mega-Shark Vs Giant Octopus imo

wlSjT6r.png
dgJkTIX.png
7DZOvck.png
Otebabt.png
qsZePeR.png
JOUPxve.png

…wait, seriously? He’s still not a Golbat yet? I could have sworn that had already happened? Okay not yet I guess

n6S1lNi.png
Hkt9Wu8.png

I wonder if this voids the warranty on that dude

4yslv3l.png
mypwS60.png
iaZimND.png

Enjoyin it while we can… Levitate is looming on the horizon…

y9RSpQh.png
J01LFmg.png
L6UqDLv.png
shhAqPq.png

Padme truly is the MVP of this run, taking a wholeass Psychic like it’s nothing!

L4GTYxT.png
oHGBIFc.png
rqXjfTA.png
TvJswQ2.png
9hl3XWY.png
sJw1bHG.png

Now THAT is a fucking plot twist!

X0vnUUQ.png
0QsEXRM.png
9BJh5rg.png
qR76lmE.png
5nSNkxe.png

My son… I’m so proud of you… setting healthy goals for yourself… forming positive relationships… coping with a loss gracefully… Q_Q

tumADhb.png
MlCqIFZ.png
TExuSfi.png
Sp372wV.png

Still a wee tsundere, though. You can just say you wanna hang out again sometime, bro

fTIjbgy.png
eQA2iMu.png
MzXEADu.png
YSsCGqK.png
7xLxvvE.png

There’s also the plaza, but it looks like the shop isn’t open and the Clefairy aren’t out tonight, so there’s not much else on here.

So that’s where I’ll leave it for today! Six Kanto badges down, two to go, and the last few have gone really well, so we’re feeling good! Let’s goooo! Honestly it's probably for the best I have a no-grinding rule, because the level disparity between wild Pokemon and trainers in Kanto is absolutely absurd. I can generally only cope with grinding by binge-watching Netflix while doing it. What about you? What's your preferred technique for getting through grinding, or getting around it? Until next time, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Good point about what a shame it is to not see Slowking as much. Johto in general is bad about showing off its own Pokemon. About a year ago I did a casual Gold playthrough and I still remember that even after going through the entire game I had never seen Ampharos, Politoed, and a couple other things. One thing Johto does VERY right, though, is its Fire starter! Like, is it even possible to argue that Cyndaquil, Quilava, and Typhlosion AREN'T the best? I thought that was just a fact.

That Camper in Brock's Gym has always made me mad. He goes on and on about the virtues of the Rock-type and then can't even be bothered to use one. Does his Sandslash even know any Rock-type moves? Doubtful.

I've played all my challenge runs with a level cap based on the next boss, but I always make sure to reach it because I don't trust myself, so that does mean a fair bit of grinding. I just put up with it. Out of the three games I've challenged, Yellow definitely had the most painful grinding, so sometimes for that I would turn on the TV.

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Huh, I could have sworn he had his Crobat during the Mt. Moon fight, too. Maybe it's because in the remakes as a kid, I went immediately from the Mt. Moon fight to the multi battle with him in the Dragon's Den, where it is evolved - Must be pretty close to evolving if you could see it as a Crobat only a couple minutes later :p

I kind of like grinding, actually! I try to pay more attention for it in Nuzlockes vs when I play other games, for obvious reasons, but aside from challenge runs where you actually have to stay aware of what's going on, in turn-based rpgs especially, I tend to find it sort of relaxing? Just repetitive motion, good for listening to podcasts and stuff, since I have trouble focusing on them if I'm Only listening to the podcast. Adhd brain wants more stimulation than that, and grinding gives just the right balance of "Visual and tactile sensory input" without hitting the "You need to actually focus on what you're doing so stop listening to the words being pushed into your earholes" lol. That said, there are some games where grinding is more annoying to me than anything. My last LeafGreen run took forever with grinding at one point, because, after losing a longterm team member, my best options for trainer rematches either put my team at too much risk or were, at best, three at a time, more often only one. I didn't have enough species for get the Exp. Share because of the ruleset, so I ended up having to go the old school way, and it wasn't the most interesting time even with podcasts and YouTube and Twitch running in the back :p The sheer length of the grind without an emulator was a bit much for me, haha.

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
Oops, forgot to comment last time
Last time
I like how Janine has her own gimmick even though the Gym has the same physical layout.
This time
yeah, Kanto was added late into development once the late Satoru Iwata came in and cleaned up their code. So Kanto is more of a post game bonus than a second half of the game. Also Gamefreak has always been as terrible at data optimization as they are now.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
oh yeah, my favorite appalachian fact after the "actually goes all the way up thru to the highlands and i think norway" is that they used to be taller than the himalayans! also fun fact: parts of florida and georgia are actually rocks from the northwestern part of africa that stuck on when pangaea broke up. historical geology is so cool, it's my favorite science

as for grinding, i'm a big proponent of doing it between mmo dungeon q's as a dps. boy do those get long sometimes...
i also really like to watch horror movies while i do it, or listen to star trek (i am on i think....rewatch 5 of tos?), or listen to podcasts. i've recently been going thru nightvale. i have a rougher time with podcasts though, because if i'm not careful the lack of visual anchor lets my brain turn it to white noise and i stop being able to recognize it as words...which necessitates so much rewinding, blah

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
I mostly read Barry as a hyperenergetic twink
let’s get Barry his Pride Flag in the remakes. We all deserve to be happy.

Slowking is a pretty cool alternate evolution, shame you almost never see it in Gen II.
Should’ve let Will had a Slowking, Bruno have a Steelix, Morty have a Misdreavus, but noooo…
Cyndaquil is the BEST Johto starter I do not care what ANYBODY says,
The best part about Cyndaquil is it’s so much better than RBY Charizard but never gets any appreciation for it.
Returning to a region and seeing how they’ve done since the original game plot is a delight that was only replicated in BW2 and should be done more often.
This should have been the LGPE plot or a future LG. Give us something new but old. LGPE tried that with some designs but damn it, I want a Hoenn game that’s like five years after RSE and they’re all still traumatized by the weather apocalypse. And do we count Orre here?
Also, honestly, in real life, chatting with old folk is a good thing to do.
Especially in Florida. Trust me. You’ll hear some great stories and some colorful language.

YouTube is the best grinding aid. Not a huge fan of most Pokémon content creators because I find a lot of the ones I’ve watched to be obnoxious and loud and pandering to children. But I do love me some Asprey.

Users who are viewing this thread