• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Via Memory Lane III: A Gold Nostalgialocke

Thread Description
An oddly-coloured blast from the past (Updates Wed-Fri-Sun. Part 9: 12/06)

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Kurt gets credit for at least trying to help-that's more than 90% of the NPCs (and even some champions) do :v:
Interesting that his back is conveniently better as soon as you beat not-Proton 🤔
I think I knew some of the Apricorn balls didn't work, but lmfao at the Love Ball doing the exact opposite of what it was supposed to. I knew there was a reason I never bothered with them (that and I usually don't have the patience to wait/keep going back).
I love the concept of the little house shrine. And on that note, a lot of people also keep urns with their deceased loved ones' ashes somewhere in the house-my mom keeps her mom's ashes on a shelf in her room.
I like your chances with Bugsy, since a) you have a Geodude and b) he doesn't have U-Turn yet. Also that mini shrine in Japan is too cute!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Time Master Eon we never get to see Kurt’s Pokemon, so for all we know it’s a Machamp with super-massage skills XD

@Arawanhe Kurt’s whole deal is deeply sus 🤔

@FPFP66 Oh yeah, I’m not saying the trade rule is unfair, I just don’t think it’s with the spirit of what I’m playing here XD But I’m absolutely not against folk allowing it, and I have allowed it in past runs (in my SoulSilver run, I evolved my Graveler into Golem after reaching Mahogany Town with the story reason that the signal evolved her :v)
I was not into ROMs much in 06-07, but now I wish I was to play some of those Gen II remakes in the Gen III engine 👀 I’ll have to poke around to see if any of them are still online!

@Anya Homura Love some accidental gay rights that Game Freak can’t take back ✊ Also gotta love the power of Geodude in Johto!

@ActiveTransport not a great ratio at all, no :x well, at least they tried :P

@Corviknight best birb imagine getting your ass kicked by MULTIPLE 10-year-olds!

@Moon hope you enjoy it! :D

@songwithnosoul oh no, I’ve heard of other people Suffering against that Slaking/Spinda combo, because it is EVIL
...wh… why does the Pikachu in that art… give me the vibes that it was drawn by a former pony artist…????? I don’t like it
Look, we mock Pokemon games for putting “Poké” in front of everything but take it away and what do you get? BALLS
“This is a Wendy’s” is the energy I’m going for with every “Sir I’m 10” so success! :P
At least Kurt made an effort, which I guess is a step up, but the convenient timing of his recovery is still VERY sus
I would panic about having cremains in my house because I drop things a LOT and I would hate to drop one of my grandparents and then have to decide whether I’m scooping them up with my hands or submitting them to the indignity of being hoovered… luckily my grandparents wanted their cremains mixed with local wildflower seeds and scattered off a mountain in Colorado, which was pretty rad and also my current go-to except I want to be mixed with wild mint seeds and then scattered on a golf course
Those Slowpoke are really gonna judge me for my priorities… but not for, like, another hour or two, and I’ll probably be out of Azalea by then :v
Glad you liked seeing Tiny Shrine, it lives rent-free in my head and I kinda want a Ghibli movie about it

@Skarmizard Give Kurt an award for Made An Effort, Possibly! Potentially the Love Balls are gay because Love Is Love or maybe it’s just because the game is unimaginably complicated and only fit on a Gameboy cart due to the full-on wizardry of Iwata-sensei, but I also like to believe that it’s the natural state of Pokemon to be gay and heterosexuality only occurs in captivity
I would be terrified of keeping ashes around because I would DEFINITELY drop them at some point, but there are a lot of cool things people do with their ashes like having them scattered, mixed in with flower seeds, pressed into a record, shot into space… lots of cool shit 👀
Glad you like seeing Tiny Shrine! I still remember it very fondly ❤

Hello and welcome back to my Gold nostalgialocke! Last time, we got a taste of plot while kicking Team Rocket out of Slowpoke Well! This time…

Badge time

Oh gosh I just wanna squish their wee cheeks

Sprite opinion time: I… feel like Spinarak was coloured this way because you can only encounter it in the wild at night, and nobody went “hey but you can also see it in trainer battles so maybe just make it green like the artwork?”
Ledyba, meanwhile… lookit all those fists. This wee chonk is ready to throw down. Unfortunately for them, I brought Mike to cover Olimar while he levels up.

Huh, folk already know about that? That old man gossips at the speed of light

Josh… kiddo… that’s a Paras… it’s unevolved… it’s not grown-up at all… Josh honey no

Now THAT’S a grown-up Pokemon! Shame she’s losing her baby fluff tho Q_Q

Satoshi Tajiri I know that’s you
(Also I remember Kristy proudly, you don't have to prove a damn thing 🦋)

I’m sure I’ve yelled about Caterpie’s Gold sprite before but LOOK AT IT, AAAAAAAAH, LOOKIT HOW TINY AND CUTE HE IS OH MY GOD
(You, uh… might wanna let him evolve, though, sensei, Butterfree are boss as hell)

I’m not like most girls lol~ okay but seriously little girls are often very into bugs until they get told that they’re gross and unfeminine too often. I once had a five-year-old tell me for a full half hour about worms because she was so excited that I’d listen to her worm facts. LET GIRLS LIKE BUGS DAMMIT

Wait… is every single trainer in this gym, including the leader, a small child? Is this a gym or am I attacking a children’s playpark?
…well, anyway, what’re they gonna do, call the cops

He’s a wee NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD! Love this tiny nerd! Let's see what NOM UK had to say about him...

Ah, yep, there it is, the gender confusion that everyone got over Bugsy. They're not wrong about Cyndaquil, at least

More importantly, because of limited sprite palettes he had green hair in Gen II, which I actually think looks better than the purple? Might just be me though

Pikmin actually solo’d Metapod for the craic, but the Kakuna knows Poison Sting so better to take it out fast.

And now, the ace… with scythes for arms and LASER BEAM EYES. Functionally, in the early gens Scyther was a bit shit, but damned if that isn’t an excellent Pokemon design.

Hope you appreciate the… magnitude of this victory 😎

To be fair, I don’t think any amount of research is going to make rock attacks less super-effective against bug-types

I respect this effort to give the bug-type some better moves in Gen II! And I also think it’s cute that this kid is excitedly giving you a gift he made himself XD

Right, time to go see about that missing dude—oh hey bro what’s up

Sure! When you get a burn, don’t run it under cold water or ice it, run it under lukewarm water, because damaged skin is intensely temperature-sensitive and anything too cold will only do more da—oh wait you wanna know something specific?

Oh, yep, back and shiter than ever!

Interested by the implication that your protag canonically replied “yeah bro I kicked their asses”

Come at me bro

We’re still a full gen away from the invention of Levitate, bitch!!!

I really don’t have anything good against Bayleef—I got two grass-types, a water-type, a rock-type, and Jessica. Maybe if I can land a stat condition on the Bayleef then switch to Jessica…?

Theeere we go

…Huh. I thought I’d try Tackle just to see, and it didn’t do much, especially thanks to Reflect, but Razor Leaf, which is normally pretty powerful, didn’t do much even with a crit… oh shit right Olimar’s grass/flying! I may not have anything that can do a lot of damage to that leaf dino, but Olimer being able to take Razor Leaf like it’s nothing is grand!

It’s a battle of attrition, but Olimer’s chipping away at Bayleef’s health faster than Bayleef’s chipping back, especially with paralysis hitting him quite frequently!

Plus, when Olimar does get low, I can be That Bitch

Many cycles later… proud ay you, wee man! Good work!

Aaaand this one’s a lot faster. Thank fuck.

Bro that Bayleef is tough as FUCK, don’t disrespect his power >:(

Alright Ayn Rand cool the jets there

I mean, you’re not wrong, but I feel like the problem with them is the inherent soulless cruelty of unrestrained capitalism, not that they’re shite at Pokemon training

Bro I was never in your way. You stopped me for a fight. Do you just need somebody to talk to?

Aye, Granny, we'll mind ourselves and not touch the Fairy Trees, promise!

Right, that’s been a lot of fighting for today. Next time, we’ll head through Ilex Forest and hopefully get to Goldenrod City! Until then, please enjoy these photos from the 2001 Celebi tour of Celebi and Pikachu facepaint that looks like Green Spiderman and Yellow Jigsaw, respectively

Thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
So my first interaction with Johto was HGSS (maybe the anime? Don't remember) so for me the Celebi event that confirms his backstory has just always been part of the narrative.

I mention this because it really colors how you see this kid when you realize that everything he does stems from fears of abandonment and low self-esteem. So in short, get that kid a therapist and a caretaker who won't abandon his family when he's shown up by a 10 year old.

ponibutts

nerd
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 6, 2021
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Honestly that bit about little girls loving bugs is so goddamn true. When I was a kid (way before figuring myself out) I got in trouble for digging in the dirt for worms and roly poly bugs :(

Moon

Kanto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
I saw the 'she' when referring to Bugsy, thought 'my life is a lie' and scrolled down to see you mentioning gender confusion.

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ghost
I can’t take Silver’s speech after losing in Azalea seriously after Viet Crystal (4:10).

I am here for Geodude domination, and I am also here for Hoppip doing well. And Bayleef praise? This update has all I need.

And yes, everyone absolutely thought Bugsy was a girl growing up. Wasn’t there another gym leader who had fans confused about their gender? Was it Falkner?

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
Normal, Clever
And to the surprise of no one ever, Gen 2 Geodude beats Scyther!

wait, bugsy uses more pokemon than scyther? /j

Grass-types like Olimar really do excel in the Defensive/Stall Game in their own ways, which is amazing to see and play around with when you know how to use! or that you can use it all, even, which... most kids don't. Hell, most people in general don't! Part of the fun thing about nuzlockes IMO is the ability to do and try strategies you really wouldn't otherwise, leads to Good Moments like what we saw in the Grass-type Matchup in the update.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Gotta preface this with saying I love Bug Pokémon so, so much, and this whole update makes me feel the warm fuzzies.
Sprite opinion time: I… feel like Spinarak was coloured this way because you can only encounter it in the wild at night, and nobody went “hey but you can also see it in trainer battles so maybe just make it green like the artwork?”
Ledyba, meanwhile… lookit all those fists. This wee chonk is ready to throw down. Unfortunately for them, I brought Mike to cover Olimar while he levels up.
Spinarak and Ledyba both live in my heart rent free.

Josh… kiddo… that’s a Paras… it’s unevolved… it’s not grown-up at all… Josh honey no
Since it only evolves once, maybe you could consider Paras slightly more grown up than the average Bug from this time period of the franchise? Anyway, I covered this already with Goosebumps, but Paras and Parasect live in my heart rent free. Especially in HGSS tbh, because having Spore and False Swipe together is so nice.

I’m sure I’ve yelled about Caterpie’s Gold sprite before but LOOK AT IT, AAAAAAAAH, LOOKIT HOW TINY AND CUTE HE IS OH MY GOD
(You, uh… might wanna let him evolve, though, sensei, Butterfree are boss as hell)
Caterpie, Metapod, and Butterfree live in my heart rent free.

Wait… is every single trainer in this gym, including the leader, a small child? Is this a gym or am I attacking a children’s playpark?
Imagine Bugsy dialing 911 and Chu's Pokégear starts ringing. You ARE the cops.

To be fair, I don’t think any amount of research is going to make rock attacks less super-effective against bug-types
Hey now, by the time we're at Gen 20 or something like that, I'm sure an Ability will have come along that makes Bug-types take less damage from Rock-type moves, or from their weaknesses in general. Like Levitate, or Delta Stream.

…Huh. I thought I’d try Tackle just to see, and it didn’t do much, especially thanks to Reflect, but Razor Leaf, which is normally pretty powerful, didn’t do much even with a crit… oh shit right Olimar’s grass/flying! I may not have anything that can do a lot of damage to that leaf dino, but Olimer being able to take Razor Leaf like it’s nothing is grand!
Let's go Hoppip yes yes yes squishy pink cottonweed represent! Proud Johto stan moment.

RIP Bugsy being misgendered. Between him, and Falkner, and the rival, and especially Elite Four Will, I have definitely seen plenty of in-universe jokes from writers about "those weird Johto people."

Yuna

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Honestly, I have to give you huge props for using Hoppip. I absolutely adore the Hoppip line from an aesthetic point of view (cute is my weakness) but they're so, so hard to use. > < The line gets a little better with each generation as they gain access to more moves/coverage but in Gen II, it's an absolute nightmare.

Corviknight best birb

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 7, 2021
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
she - her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Lives by the words "I'll do it tomorrow"
I still like watching ants on the porch. sometimes they crawl onto my leg or arm

can confirm butterfree is great. source: got roped into a gen 1 cagelocke, butterfree is a life saver

wait, bugsy was a girl this whole time

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
@songwithnosoul oh no, I’ve heard of other people Suffering against that Slaking/Spinda combo, because it is EVIL
Yeah, I think that I learned to avoid those trainers from seeing some nuzlocker or another run afoul of that combo on the forums... It's a clever concept, but not nuzlocke-friendly at all.

...wh… why does the Pikachu in that art… give me the vibes that it was drawn by a former pony artist…????? I don’t like it
Yeah, it's really... not good. I think I see what you mean with the "former pony artist" thing... Is it the pose? The head's angle was definitely meant for a creature with an actual neck, and the way the feet are stepping... I do want to point out, in case you didn't realize, that this horrible Pikachu was taken from the front cover of an official, published manga. Specifically, the manga adaptation of the Pokémon anime movie Arceus and the Jewel of Life. I just kept seeing it advertised in like five different volumes of Pokémon Adventures, and each time it's just like... why. Why did anyone think that was a good idea.

Those Slowpoke are really gonna judge me for my priorities… but not for, like, another hour or two, and I’ll probably be out of Azalea by then :v
Hahaha. Fair enough! So long as you have an exit strategy.

Glad you liked seeing Tiny Shrine, it lives rent-free in my head and I kinda want a Ghibli movie about it
And now suddenly I do too. It'd be an absolute whimsical delight.

Ohhh, is that why it's coloured like that? That makes sense. I wondered if the shiny and normal sprites got swapped around or something, except that the shiny sprite in this gen is purple. You're probably right, since it was green in the original artwork--and in the Crystal sprites, too, implying that they caught the error sometime in the development of the first two games and the third.

Huh, folk already know about that? That old man gossips at the speed of light
Hahaha!

Satoshi Tajiri I know that’s you
Hahaha

(Also I remember Kristy proudly, you don't have to prove a damn thing 🦋)
Damn, what a dark horse story for the ages. What a legend. The Caterpie in the gym wish they could grow up to be her.

Hahaha.

Ah, yep, there it is, the gender confusion that everyone got over Bugsy. They're not wrong about Cyndaquil, at least
Amazing. Even the magazine couldn't get it right.

More importantly, because of limited sprite palettes he had green hair in Gen II, which I actually think looks better than the purple? Might just be me though
IDK. Personally, I feel like the hair and the clothes being the same colour makes him just look too monochrome. The purple pops, spices up his design more.

And now, the ace… with scythes for arms and LASER BEAM EYES.
I'm glad you highlighted that, because I too fuckin' love the animation for Leer. It's the best, and makes the move look way better than it actually is.

Functionally, in the early gens Scyther was a bit shit, but damned if that isn’t an excellent Pokemon design.
It's like Kabutops! Scythe arms win every time!

Hope you appreciate the… magnitude of this victory 😎
...well, design-wise, at least. Shame about that double-weakness.

I respect this effort to give the bug-type some better moves in Gen II! And I also think it’s cute that this kid is excitedly giving you a gift he made himself XD
Again with kids just randomly discovering stuff in these games! I can see why you decided to make him a boy genius in BB. It is very cute, though, especially the way you frame it!

Sure! When you get a burn, don’t run it under cold water or ice it, run it under lukewarm water, because damaged skin is intensely temperature-sensitive and anything too cold will only do more da—oh wait you wanna know something specific?
Hah. Too bad neither of you have Cyndaquil, with that excellent advice you're dispensing. But it legitimately might help one of your readers someday--I'm always appreciative of the reminder myself.

Oh, yep, back and shiter than ever!
Haha

I really don’t have anything good against Bayleef—I got two grass-types, a water-type, a rock-type, and Jessica. Maybe if I can land a stat condition on the Bayleef then switch to Jessica…?
Oh boy, this is bringing me back to having to fight his Bayleef with a Gastly using Lick... not fun times. I'm glad you at least have a better plan up your sleeve.

Theeere we go
Excellent work! Olimar's starting to pull his weight!

He's turning out to be a lucky catch after all! Nice! Glad to see it! And glad to see that you've managed to get a damaging move on him by now, even if it's only Tackle. At least you've gotten over the hump of him being completely useless.

Plus, when Olimar does get low, I can be That Bitch
You've earned that sweet, sweet Synthesis for sticking with him to this point! Besides, Silver/Max is gonna be mad no matter how you defeat him. Might as well give him something substantial to complain about.

Aaaand this one’s a lot faster. Thank fuck.
Whoof, I can feel your relief even through the computer screen.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Is it bad if 20 years later, I'm still not 100% sure Bugsy's a guy? Nowadays we have Ilima (I could easily see him as nonbinary) and Bede (I was convinced he was a girl at first) for questionable gender characters, but it was a thing way back then too (although I don't think I ever thought Silver was a girl). Heck, one time I heard someone say Will is Lorelei after transitioning...and since he has two of the same 'mons she used, it's not completely impossible? They kinda look alike too... 👀
I'm a guy who doesn't like bugs, so I'm all for girls liking them :v:
(Bug is probably my second least favorite type of Pokémon tbh, although it's grown on me over my Nuzlocking career.)
Lol that's about how I expected the gym to go-Geodude >>> early Johto, even more so now that he has Magnitude.
That Bayleef though...I hate that fight so much, and it's just as bad in HGSS :argh:. Trolling him with Synthesis had to be incredibly satisfying >:)

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Time Master Eon I think Silver’s backstory was one of those things the Pokespe manga is famous for calling ahead of time, making Silver Giovanni’s son way before that event (though I think there was already a Japan-only event or some hints to it, so maybe it wasn’t prescience :P) But yeah, both realizing what Silver’s family background was like and thinking of him as A Literal Child is what made me love writing him so much, reaching out to how these fucked up kids think and distrust and how badly they just want someone to care… anyway he’s my son now XD

@ponibutts saaaame, I got in trouble for playing with bugs in the garden and also that one time I found a snake :P

@Moon yeah referring to Bugsy as “she” was REALLY common in magazines because Japanese doesn’t have gendered pronouns and the actual game doesn’t say Bugsy’s gender so a lot of people took guesses and were wrong :x

@FPFP66 “I AM DISGUSTED BY THE TRASHY MAN” oh god, I gotta play that rom sometime, I LOVE shitty translations! I played Vietnamese Blue once and that was a fun time :P I mentioned a couple entries ago that I got confused about Falkner’s gender as a kid, but I don’t know if anybody else did 🤔 I have heard that a lot of folk got confused about Will, too :P

@Anya Homura it’s a shame, Scyther is so cool, it would be nice to see it for more than three seconds… but I had Mike :P I’ll be honest, I am not normally that strategic, I am that “overlevel and spam supereffective moves” bitch, I have four damaging moves on most of my Pokemon, but the no grinding rules demand I actually use a strategy, and I’m really glad it paid off well with Olimar vs Bayleef!

@ActiveTransport You? With the Volcarona avatar? Love bug-types? Nooooooooo :P God it would be hilarious if somebody called you and was like “...uhhh I was trying to call the cops but apparently they’ve rerouted their calls to you”

@Yuna Hoppip are tough to use, but it turns out they’re tanky as all hell and that’s really valuable in this run!

@Corviknight best birb I like seeing ants but I do NOT like them touching me, I’ll imagine them crawling around in my clothes for days after XP No, Bugsy’s a boy, a LOT of folk just got confused about him back in the day, including Nintendo Official Magazine!

@songwithnosoul yeah that Pikachu’s pose gave me the pony vibes… and now that you mention it, I realized I’ve seen that ad in Pokemon Adventures volumes too, I just never looked at it much because I didn’t care XP
To be fair on all those who were confused about Bugsy’s gender back in the day, Japanese doesn’t have gendered pronouns, so you could have an extensive conversation about Bugsy without revealing his gender (a bunch of manga deliberately play on this to keep mystery characters mysterious, which can be VERY difficult for translators to work with sometimes XD), and it also… isn’t actually mentioned in the game anywhere? Like, I don’t think Bugsy’s mentioned outside of his gym at all in Gen II, so it’s very easy to just have no idea from the game itself XP I think the purple hair pops, but I don’t like how it clashes with the outfit, and I think if he wants to be creeping around in the trees, he probably doesn’t wanna stick out that XD
Leer is a terrible move but I LOVE the LASER BEAM EYES animation XDXDXDXD
Olimar the Tank saves the day against Bayleef! I didn’t expect him to come in so handy so soon but he really came in clutch!

@Skarmizard I mean, a lot of people (including me!) have written trans Bugsy, and nonbinary Ilima is pretty popular, but it’s worth remembering that trans people don’t always look androgynous or like their designated-at-birth gender, and plenty spend quite a lot of money and time on looking how they want to! If you wanna write Bugsy or Ilima as trans, I recommend avoiding the sin of tokenism by having multiple trans characters of varying appearances. I haven’t heard the Will=Lorelei theory before, but I really like it and it’s a cool explanation for Lorelei being replaced by somebody who seems to be using the same room and, as you said, has a couple of the same Pokemon… 👀
After fighting so many enemies like Mewtwo that use healing spam, it was INCREDIBLY satisfying to use it myself XD

Hello and welcome back to my Gold nostalgialocke! Last time, we beat up a bunch of children and also the rival, who I guess is also implied to be a child. Fun! This time, we’re gonna explore a spooky forest and also mind our manners because we promised a random old lady we would.

Ran into these ladies within six steps of entering Ilex Forest. They’re adorable but duped out in honour of Kristy.

I mean, fair enough, this is a very dark spooky forest

There’s the wee bastart!

Third encounter. Sorry, sir, but we’re full up.

OI! DON’T YOU RUN FRAE ME, YA WEE—

I gotta wonder why this wee ledge is here. There isn’t even a hidden item up there. Whit?

I got stuck on this puzzle for ages as a kid. Here’s hoping I remembered how to do it properly this time…

Oh thank fuck

Pffft, the forest’s so bloody dark even this wee man can’t even see where he’s going and bounces off a tree XD

Some versions of Pokemon, including the manga, kinda have badges as magical artifacts that powerfully influence Pokemon, but I also like the take that Pokemon just see your badges and go “nice, I can respect that”

May I introduce you to the concept of “a really big knife”?

I am actually just gonna pretend that he’s given me a really big knife

Gonna give my Bellsprout a really big knife. Powerful

Excellent mechanical additions to Gen II: just interacting with Cutable trees, Surfable water and Strengthable rocks instead of having to go into your team menu

Love me a tiny wee forest shrine. I went hiking a few times while I was in Japan just for the sake of getting out of Tokyo and seeing some green again, and finding a wee shrine somewhere was always fun

Love how much establishment and foreshadowing there is for a Pokemon you can’t get unless you live in Japan in the year 2000 (though I hear the virtual console versions fixed it?)

This could be a way to get some interesting catches later on if needed, but also it’s a nice hefty physical attack that does a good chunk of damage for this stage of the game

Honestly, Olimar, you really earned it, wee man!

So Celebi was damn near impossible to get in Scotland—the Celebi tour didn't come north of the border as far as I could find—but there was one kid at my school who got one with a gameshark, and then mastered the cloning glitch to make a hundred of ‘em. That guy owned the playground economy that year. I think I traded him a dozen Pokemon figures for mine. I also later traded him a bunch of Pokemon Cards for a Mew, which is how Gold became the only game that I’ve ever completed the full ‘dex in.

Never mind all that! We’re out of the forest now, got phone reception again, and heading on to the city!

And this is our Route 34 encounter… awww, what a wee cutie. That’d be an interesting Pokemon to use in a nuzlocke. Not today, though! Team's full!

Unfortunately, Gina, there are no practise battles for me, only life and death.

Gina has two Hoppip and then this guy! Hello wee man, nice to see you! You are positively neon!

Olimar, I think you were sent to save me from ever experiencing anything like the grassy hell of Sprout Tower ever again, and I love you

I thought you said I’m too strong to be a… y’know what never mind. Girls' phone numbers only!

I have no strong opinions on Snubbull, but I respect the design aesthetic of a mean-looking pink and frilly pupper

This Mankey, on the other hand, comes off as… weirdly smooth? I dunno, something about the design is just off to me.

I won’t be using the daycare at all in this run, but let’s all take a moment to appreciate that it’s on Route 34, given what goes on there.

Alright, made it to Goldenrod, hence all the golden-yellow rooftops! Quick stop in at the Pokemon Centre, and then to the department store…

OH GOD MY EYES
Whose idea was this flooring

This wee girl on the fifth floor is the one you have to talk to to actually activate the Mystery Gift function, which was always one of my favourite features. It was like you and your mates giving each other a wee gift every day, but you never knew what it was going to be. You could get some really good items, including evolutionary stones, but what everybody really wanted was the dolls and other decorative items. I had a Big Lapras Doll that was my pride and joy <3

This is another respectable trade that offers you something that can help you with the next gym; in this case, a Machop is already pretty good for a normal-type gym, but the Machop you get in this trade is guaranteed to be a heterosexual female, so she’s immune to Whitney’s Pokemon using Attract! Not for me this time, though.

Back outside and time to get a bike! I kinda like that it’s buried down a back street—finding cool shops down windy wee hidden streets is one of my favourite things about both Edinburgh and Tokyo.

I also like this version of the bike acquisition quest because it involves way less backtracking than the Kanto one. Free million-yen bike? Hell yeah!

Oh, you can, can you…?

FALSE ADVERTISING

Right then, running loose in a big city with my new ride, I think that’s where I’ll leave it for today!

The breeding mechanic was such an interesting innovation. I know we've talked about whether or not folk use breeding before, but are there any other additions you'd like to see? I'd love it if non-breedable Pokemon spending a lot of time together improved each others' stats; like, if you have a Pokemon with high speed hanging out with a Pokemon with low speed for a long time, the low-speed Pokemon gets some Speed IVs or EVs idk what those are still, I just think it would be fun. How about you?

The magazine was full of this wink-wink-nudge-nudge stuff about breeding (with some of the jokes being MUCH more risque than this), which is very British of them :P

Thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Last edited:

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Wait, was the GS Ball event fixed in all of the Johto VC releases? I thought it was only Crystal, but I've played through both Gold and Silver on VC...and I never went and did that...

I need to go find my 3DS.

Oh, you can, can you…?

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Cianwood Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
In the shop owner's defense how's he supposed to know that an old man telepathically yells at you everytime you try to use your bike in an inappropriate but otherwise possible location.

Moon

Kanto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
wow a free million yen bike.
that's neat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)