• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Via Memory Lane III: A Gold Nostalgialocke

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
jbY6nLS.png

-beeps in time to the intro noises-

NppoE4p.png
ovImft4.png
PFZFnga.png

Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon! Now in glorious technicolour!

R1xOSZw.png
Lu2q9Xe.png

This soundtrack not endorsed by Pikachu apparently

5dJzV3Y.png

Hello and welcome to my Gold nostalgialocke! In which I play a notepad run of Pokemon Gold and babble about my nostalgia for pokemania in 2001, when I originally played the game.

1. Notepad clause: Catch no more than 6 Pokemon at a time. When there are 6 Pokemon in the party, no more may be captured until or unless one dies.
    1. HM exception: if none of your Pokemon can use an HM required to progress, an HM indentured servant may be captured and remain in the party until the need for it has passed, but should not be used in battle and should ONLY be used for essential game progression.
    2. Catch only the first Pokemon encountered in a new area.
    3. Dupes clause: If a Pokemon has been captured and used before, it may not be used again. This clause extends across runs, and also across evolutionary lines.
    4. Mulligan clause: You may have up to three attempts to find a viable Pokemon in a new area, but if you kill your find, your search ends then and there.
    5. Shiny clause, excepting the Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage. You may catch any surprise shinies regardless of any other rules, but if they are not a legal catch, they may not be used.
    6. Pokeball clause: Any mandatory encounters or wild encounters prior to giving the Mystery Egg to Elm are not counted.
    7. Gift Pokemon may be accepted if they are the first “encounter” in an area. Violet City counts as separate from Sprout Tower, so the Mystery Egg may be accepted.
    8. Pinwheel Forest clause: connected areas may be counted as separate areas if they feature different encounters and catch rates. Pinwheel Interior and Exterior count as separate areas, but the northern and southern parts of Kanto Route 2 do not.
  2. Nickname all catches after a character from a movie, book or TV show that came out the same year as you got the game and which was also part of your life (2001). Explain yourself.
  3. If a Pokemon’s HP reaches 0, they are dead. Box them at the earliest opportunity.
    1. If the whole party wipes, then that game is failed. Proceed immediately to the next game, but, weighed down by your failure, you may not capture any party members in addition to the starter until you have regained your confidence by getting your first badge.
  4. The Exp Share may be used.
  5. No level grinding. The level curve in GSC is too gentle as it is.
  6. Win condition: Destroy The Past Self (defeat Red on Mt Silver)

Note the dupes clause rule? This is a sequel to my Yellow and Blue notepad runs, and I can’t use any Pokemon I already used in those runs. If you haven’t read those runs, or need a reminder, here’s my banned Pokemon list:

• Pikachu, Pichu and Raichu
  • Rattata and Raticate
  • Mankey and Primeape
  • Nidoran M, Nidorino and Nidoking
  • Caterpie, Metapod and Butterfree
  • Spearow and Fearow
  • Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam
  • Snorlax
  • Zubat, Golbat and Crobat
  • Bulbasaur, Ivysaur and Venusaur
  • Pidgey, Pidgeotto and Pidgeot
  • Nidoran F, Nidorina and Nidoqueen
  • Magikarp and Gyarados
  • Paras and Parasect
  • Sandshrew and Sandslash
  • Tyrogue, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop

What can I say about Pokemon Gold? For a very long time, it was my very favourite Pokemon game. I was so excited by the way it expanded the Pokemon world in a way that other games have never quite managed by both adding new geography and showing a progression of time. My brother got Silver first, and I excitedly backseat gamed that with him until I got Gold of my very own. It was the first (and so far, only) game in which I actually completed the whole Pokedex, getting all 251 Pokemon thanks to a friend with English cousins and a working knowledge of the cloning glitch distributing Mew and Celebi. I even remember my team, because I must have drawn them a hundred times: Typhlosion, Ampharos, Lugia, Ho-oh, the Red Gyarados and Celebi. Not the most creative or balanced team but hey, I was nine! And I still adore the Mareep line to this day :

Anyway, enough of that. Let's have the table of contents and then crack on!

5Yol8Wr.png
wDBa6Fh.png
hVDy6CQ.png
OZqwaCs.png

Fit ye daein sleepin in so late auld man? Been hitting the bottle again?
(Is the internal clock even gonna work on a ROM?)

cXS779i.png
fvb1Ny7.png
KivdbC7.png
0fDqG8w.png

Heya, professor! I see you’ve had your eyebrows done since Gen I!

yNBBIvF.png
2OR6BJe.png
FOLNPIe.png
ik4KWo6.png
JEpAzJ3.png
K1YLtVv.png

Gasp! A wild Pikablu!

vUFgOzb.png
xBFvb04.png
VtFI6yb.png
jweglD3.png
bXRmBj0.png

Dream job, right there.

KHfbyaA.png
y7rvARM.png

We know the drill by now, aye?

ekdrnQQ.png
zeb6ab7.png
kFZPG5f.png
E0zPDDS.png
bNnLJJ4.png
tuKaa1W.png
AFra7iv.png
VbGpZwc.png

-Changeling schlorp noises-

hokjYUr.png

What a lovely wee cabin room! I cannot fucking WAIT to decorate it

uX0SCX2.png
FPuYRG5.png
n4jRtGD.png

… :(

TpbX3Gk.png
73IcecA.png
TNZzLwx.png
lS2HMbr.png

I’m playing a major Pokemon nerd, huh? Wow, this RPG is so immersive!

OOdpWdH.png
GxCFFqn.png
YPyqzJf.png
ugw1Cri.png
qUuuX48.png
i6r2m5t.png

Hi Mum! Why do so many tenured professors on pokearth depend on neighbourhood ten-year-olds to do everything for them?

OmkoWsw.png
BFDdnjs.png
X8DWA4T.png
u3skT9b.png
JbpsSep.png
TUpIENH.png
ERXpBgy.png

This is still one of my favourite Pokemon devices. It’s got cool features but it doesn’t have a load of extraneous ones (looking at you, poketch). It’s a nifty wee piece of kit.

8eEeolc.png

Blah blah day blah blah DST… I had to step away to do some stuff before returning to playing, and huh, looks like the internal clock does work!

94DjeNc.png
efWFxHy.png
mkSZ5T7.png
lQrT5YS.png
HiNaF2M.png
chwMknG.png
hSTx2ft.png

Ugh, Muuuuuuum, I picked the “skip tutorial” button for a reason!

IBDnvXm.png
Wlpwk4u.png
uSJPCh8.png

This is another movie I’ve definitely seen referenced a bunch of times but absolutely could not tell you what it’s called

HBQXDbP.png
DBwdoo4.png

She’s so sweet, I love my digital mum ❤

W0Y4NWP.png
sheJUFo.png

…Given what happened to Cinnabar between gens I and II, this feels like it’s in poor taste

smfokBj.png
tW4IQgm.png

For some reason this makes me think of the whiplash ending of this epic post

d6rsgYH.png
NTJpXBj.png

I’m sure this is in earnest but the way it’s phrased makes it sound like she’s mocking me

hhAlrco.png
xprsKPZ.png
lCZ0GON.png
KNN3zkC.png
vlB7ofc.png
OLKE1Ll.png

Well, you seem like a dick
…Uuuugh I can’t hate him I’ve been writing him for too long he’s my SON 😭

B0GbfyE.png

Love the chipper music in here!

pKbrLDC.png
y39NY01.png
FWxfEnO.png
hxHnzqq.png
rveYdMu.png
GId9G71.png
qVQX2VK.png
cePyuot.png
COQ40IN.png
88kiTMZ.png

Look if your friend’s annoying you there are better ways to avoid listening to him than fobbing him off on local children

3FpLddS.png
enij1lI.png
BmSiB7t.png
BCFyWYo.png
mQHCZmp.png
etcBlty.png

Especially since it involves bribing said children with rare Pokemon! Not that I’m complaining, mind you

K3vOCka.png
C4fkOZe.png
BSQCjgk.png

My flame child… the one I cannot wait to choose in Pokemon Legends: Arceus… but not today, for reasons

3N62Oos.png
wGUU1pH.png
VAL3J3t.png

I love and respect Chikorita too and will not hear a word against it, but not today, likewise for reasons

5uW2BE8.png
5e7SVtc.png
uyayxzz.png
fzyELCp.png
Ojz74ud.png
nMaPWSB.png

It is a great Pokemon! I finished the gameplay for The Knife Ridge Scrolls a while ago but Fang was such an MVP that I am choosing his descendant in his honour

allVkW0.png
xPlWbxN.png
f2smzZr.png

When I saw Spirited Away in 2001, I didn’t know what an anime was (yes, I’d been watching Pokemon for years, but I thought it was American), but I knew it was a really amazing-looking cartoon I was watching, and I was growing into an aggressively environmentalist little girl who was very into the scene where Chihiro helped get all the trash out of the river spirit’s body. Haku turning into a dragon was also pretty cool, and since he was a water spirit with big teeth… Meet Haku the Totodile!

Do6FHQo.png
52q8TAY.png
Q7aBR8G.png
fBwItXD.png
sXLipuO.png
zYq5IhX.png
elL3PXp.png
DEwFe4k.png
EvCkKYQ.png

Useful, handy, ta very much! Let’s have a wee peek at Haku before we go!

ELC7dLW.png
vYkTsXp.png
AuBeegu.png

Ahhh, look at this shiny, clear stat screen… huh, are those good stats? They are, right? All in double digits and over 20 HP for a brand-new starter? I mean, no matter what, he’s most definitely a very good boy.

I think I’ll leave it there for today, Good Boy in hand! What do you think? What's your favourite Johto starter?

Next time, we’ll actually run our errand of going to meet Professor Elm’s weird mate. Until then, thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

It amuses me to think of the HMs less as permanent moves and more as weapons your Pokemon gets to carry, and the inimitable @songwithnosoul has kindly illustrated that concept for us!
jnwLIY9.png
QkT1Yhk.png

@ponibutts has also graced us with this tribute to Jessica reaching her final form of Ultimate Punch Sheep!

zGc9YEp.png

Last edited:

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
Man, what happened to Pokemon including sneaky references to movies of the time in the PC's house? That would've been a fun trend to continue on with.

Solid choice of starter in Totodile, hopefully Haku'll make it to and past Mt. Silver.

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
W0Y4NWP.png
sheJUFo.png

…Given what happened to Cinnabar between gens I and II, this feels like it’s in poor taste
To assign fanon worldbuilding to this one textbox: the name almost certainly predates the eruption and afterwards she never came up with a different name because no-one ever called her out on it.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Typhlosion is not only my favorite Johto starter, it is my favorite Pokemon of all time. So, yeah.

Your Kanto runs were great, Sayleek, so I can't wait to see what you do with my favorite region! Haku is a little good luck charm already.

FPFP66

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Gold was also my first game but just a bit later (winter of 2002-03 in the states as a hand me down from a cousin) and I went with Cyndaquil. 5-year-old me was awed at the idea Goldenrod City on the map when I was playing Gold. I still love the Cyndaquil line, but we have to put more respect on Meganium’s name.

(Also I think every player growing up then had the fully evolved starter/Ampharos/Red Gyarados/cover bird or Suicune in Gen II. A L W A Y S.)

Glad to see the journey continue to Johto. For as messy as the Gen II games are with the level curve and the Pokémon available, they’re still classics in their own right. Flawed classics that may not hold up, but classics.

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
It's honestly crazy how well the Gen II games have aged compared to the Gen I ones. The graphics are obviously outdated, but I honestly really like the bright aesthetic and there's some really nice looking sprites in these games as well.

Totodile is a little cutie so I hope he makes it all the way! Good luck with your run!

wedward45

The thinking chaotic neutral
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 18, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Hates conflict and negativity. Snarks too much for its own good.
Hi Mum! Why do so many tenured professors on pokearth depend on neighbourhood ten-year-olds to do everything for them?
At least in the gen 5 (and maybe 6?) games, the player characters were old enough to plausibly be called interns.

Mr. Pokemon's name was the weirdest thing to me as a kid. Like someone going around irl calling themself "Mr. Animals".
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Going into Gen II, there are fewer battle glitches, but hooboy, the items…
*rubs hands* Ooh, looking forward to that!

I always wanted to take the trip down to England to go to one of these tournaments, but it was too far XP
I feel that! So much cool childhood stuff available just out of reach south of the border.

The idea of adults running the tournament as “gym leaders” sounds really great, I love it! You made me nostalgic for something I’d never heard of before now :P
👍

Disney REALLY pushed Star Wars branded random shit after they got the licenses… however, selling packets of red plastic drinking cups as an advertisement for Solo gets my approval because that’s hilarious XD
Okay, props to Disney for having a sense of humour for once.

NppoE4p.png
ovImft4.png
PFZFnga.png

Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon! Now in glorious technicolour!
And it looks pretty good, too! Good on Game Freak!

R1xOSZw.png
Lu2q9Xe.png

This soundtrack not endorsed by Pikachu apparently
Pikachu was just trying to save us all from passing out and getting our faces drawn on like in the anime! They're a hero!

1. No level grinding. The level curve in GSC is too gentle as it is.
Oooh, that's an interesting addition to the rules.

Win condition: Destroy The Past Self (defeat Red on Mt Silver)
lmao Great way of framing it!

What can I say about Pokemon Gold? For a very long time, it was my very favourite Pokemon game. I was so excited by the way it expanded the Pokemon world in a way that other games have never quite managed by both adding new geography and showing a progression of time.
Yeah, being able to go back to Kanto and check in on everybody was incredibly cool. SoulSilver was my favourite for a while after I first started playing, too.

It was the first (and so far, only) game in which I actually completed the whole Pokedex, getting all 251 Pokemon thanks to a friend with English cousins and a working knowledge of the cloning glitch distributing Mew and Celebi.
Nice!

I even remember my team, because I must have drawn them a hundred times: Typhlosion, Ampharos
Ah, this first part of the roster sounds familiar! That explains a lot.

cXS779i.png
fvb1Ny7.png
KivdbC7.png
0fDqG8w.png

Heya, professor! I see you’ve had your eyebrows done since Gen I!
hahahaha

Gasp! A wild Pikablu!
Hahahaha. Speaking of childhood Pokémon rumours... I think that's one of the few ones that even I heard of at the time, before it was previewed in the anime and Burger King toys and what have you... Good times.

-Changeling schlorp noises-
Haha

TpbX3Gk.png
73IcecA.png
TNZzLwx.png
lS2HMbr.png

I’m playing a major Pokemon nerd, huh? Wow, this RPG is so immersive!
Hah. By this time, they sure knew their audience!

Blah blah day blah blah DST… I had to step away to do some stuff before returning to playing, and huh, looks like the internal clock does work!
Kudos to the emulator for mastering that thing which the physical cartridges so struggled with until Gen IV!

chwMknG.png
hSTx2ft.png

Ugh, Muuuuuuum, I picked the “skip tutorial” button for a reason!
Hah. Gotta foolproof it in case kids accidentally skip the tutorial!

IBDnvXm.png
Wlpwk4u.png
uSJPCh8.png

This is another movie I’ve definitely seen referenced a bunch of times but absolutely could not tell you what it’s called
According to TVTropes, this is a reference to the anime Night on the Galactic Railroad (based on a classic Japanese children's book), although if that's the case then the two boys on TV are also cats...

smfokBj.png
tW4IQgm.png

For some reason this makes me think of the whiplash ending of this epic post
Oh, that's great. Not sure if I ever made it to the punchline on that post before! Thank you for pointing it out.

Well, you seem like a dick
…Uuuugh I can’t hate him I’ve been writing him for too long he’s my SON 😭
Yeah, the way you portray him completely changed the way I look at the character. Tragic abandoned child!

Look if your friend’s annoying you there are better ways to avoid listening to him than fobbing him off on local children
Hah. Continuing the tradition of completely reasonable and professional professors!

nMaPWSB.png

It is a great Pokemon! I finished the gameplay for The Knife Ridge Scrolls a while ago but Fang was such an MVP that I am choosing his descendant in his honour
Wow, I was really not expecting you to pick Totodile! That was the last starter I expected you to pick, actually, given your previous starter choice was based on what you picked in childhood and IIRC you've said you played with both Cyndaquil and Chikorita as a kid. Can't say I'm complaining, though! And doing it in honour of Fang is great. Hopefully this little guy lives up to even half his badassness!

When I saw Spirited Away in 2001, I didn’t know what an anime was (yes, I’d been watching Pokemon for years, but I thought it was American)
Same!

Haku turning into a dragon was also pretty cool, and since he was a water spirit with big teeth… Meet Haku the Totodile!
That's a great name and a great namesake!

ELC7dLW.png
vYkTsXp.png
AuBeegu.png

Ahhh, look at this shiny, clear stat screen… huh, are those good stats? They are, right? All in double digits and over 20 HP for a brand-new starter? I mean, no matter what, he’s most definitely a very good boy.
The very best! Like one one ever was!

I think I’ll leave it there for today, Good Boy in hand! What do you think? What's your favourite Johto starter?
I've already mentioned this, I believe, when you picked Fang for Knife Ridge Scrolls, but Totodile is not only my favourite Johto starter, it's my favourite starter of all time. I just fell in love with it when I was a kid and never budged an inch. I guess it just hit my love of big badass predators while also being cute and personable. I remember that the anime and other literature tended to depict Totodile like, "This is the hard option. It will bite you, a lot, and it will hurt," and I was like "I still don't see a downside." I even had a plastic toy Totodile with biting action when you moved one of the legs, I think, and I stuck my finger in its mouth and made it "bite" me to simulate this Authentic Trainer Experience™. When I first played the games as an adult, Black and White were the most recent games, but I still picked SoulSilver as my very first game anyway, partly because of Johto nostalgia and partly because I really wanted to seize the opportunity to have a Totodile as my very first "real", video game starter. And it turned out to be a female, too! Her name is Frieda and she's a Level 100 Feraligatr and still on that same original save file because I couldn't bring myself to overwrite it, and I love her. And then when I got French Canadian HeartGold later on, I still picked Totodile as my starter because I couldn't bear to pick any other, except that I also shiny hunted it so now I also have a shiny (female!) Feraligatr. Her name is Tai and she's Level 100 and still on that same save file and I love her.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura they’ve kept putting contemporary Nintendo consoles in the your ingame house but they’ve dropped movie references, we see how it is XP

@Time Master Eon I mean, I’m sure the name predates the eruption, it’s just still a bit 😬

@ActiveTransport Typhlosion’s my favourite, too, but Feraligatr’s pretty damn good :D Thank you! Hope you enjoy this run too!

@FPFP66 awwww, linking Goldenrod City to playing Gold is super cute XD I love Kid Logic. And agreed—Cyndaquil is the best Johto starter but Meganium is a TANK and deserves more respect.
IMO, Gen II was conceptually one of the best gens, up there with Gen V—I’m still mad that no other game except the remakes offers a postgame that allows you to go to a whole second region XP

@Yuna I guess there’s a reason folk still make a lot of romhacks based on Gen II—it’s retro, but much easier on the eyes than Gen I! Some Pokemon still look a little odd and haven’t fully settled in terms of things like colouration, but some of them look wonderful :D
I love your Red++ run, so it’s great to see you here! Thank you!

@wedward45 Later games probably don’t get so specific on character ages to allow players to interpret them as something that makes sense, but in the handbooks for Gen I and II it specifically says that you’re ten so in-universe we gotta deal with that XD
“And therefore education at the University mostly worked by the age-old method of putting a lot of young people in the vicinity of a lot of books and hoping that something would pass from one to the other, while the actual young people put themselves in the vicinity of inns and taverns for exactly the same reason.”

@songwithnosoul I had forgotten that song until I saw it in your comment title and then I started singing it… the things that are stored in my hindbrain XD
Gen II really does have some gorgeous spritework, huh? I feel like it’s still pretty popular because it still looks very 16-bit, but is much prettier than Gen I :P
FPFP66 is probably right—pretty much every kid had their starter, an Ampharos, and the Red Gyarados in their teams XD Ampharos isn’t really known as one of the iconic Pokemon but it really is one of the best, y’know?
I actually had not heart that bit of Tvtropes trivia… but I feel like I have an image in my head of an American movie with a scene where a couple of boys are riding in a freight car of a train too 🤔
Your love of the Totodile line never fails to delight me—that toy with biting action sounds fantastic, and d’awww XDXDXDXD Oh my goodness, I love that you still have those Feraligatr on your carts :D I still have my original HeartGold cart, but I didn’t keep my starter on that playthrough—I picked Chikorita for spite-related reasons but didn’t like using Meganium, so I eventually replaced it with a shiny Charmander that my friend bred and traded to me :x Sending all my love and respect to Frieda and Tai, Feraligatr really can carry you through the whole game ✊

Hello and welcome back to my Gold nostalgialocke! Last time, we got a Very Good Boy as a bribe for dealing with Professor Elm’s weird buddy for him.

pBGOxyF.png

SitbpKN.png

Better get to it, then!

UkXk4MV.png
a4j6KIU.png
FirV38w.png
YutpBUh.png
Z1LU093.png

There’s a potion! Ta very much, mate!

L76w4pc.png

Before I go, I think it’s kinda interesting that this is here and I'm gaunnae be a nosy bugger a minute

JIY5nPl.png
qkYSHUN.png
H19A0I1.png
DyXfxaM.png

Ma’am that’s either the zone or hyperfixation, which is probably a boon to research but somebody should still give him food. I’ll do it if you give me that Cyndaquil!

D6Hd4U9.png
diwpdHT.png
taK2KbP.png
1l4G7fQ.png

Lookit this teeny wee child sprite! Get a little bigger and your dad’ll get you to start running his errands!

21IeexS.png

This is an inaccurate depiction of an academic’s house, there should be so many bookshelves there’s barely space to walk

iguFD01.png
g1jfumr.png

And what of the mythical Cotton-Eyed Joe?

gm2TsPp.png
yQKALhG.png

Maybe SOME people like their PRIVACY when they’re GIVING BIRTH, Elm!

WOxZmKx.png
IKbuHN9.png
8GiifdT.png
qr2g2gj.png
eBOPdFL.png

These are his research papers? I thought I was reading his blog or something… not quite academic language, Professor, but hey, you didn’t bribe me with a Totodile to do your editing!

y2uDMTX.png

Now I’m curious about who lives in this last house, because I don’t remember

MD0qNLM.png
x9ssVPZ.png
JynLYY4.png
os54yGh.png
a5A6y6D.png
YVi7SFz.png
MCHdDtA.png
1OSKLRv.png

Hold up hen, I got your back, lemme get you some support resources for women in STEM

y3ma2gA.png
uShbJEp.png

Okay, that done, I’m gonna actually run the errand that I was paid in Good Boys to do

KIYEJ53.png
FVSlK2U.png

Rattata’s still so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute… shame it’s duped out now. But that pushes me towards more Gen II ‘mons, like Hoothoot here! I do love me an incredibly round birb

ICp6EDc.png

I have no idea what is up with the shape of Gen II berry trees, but I love em

vHmd7DH.png
p4R9N7h.png

By and large I love the day/night system introduced in Gen II but the morning period being from has always given me problems. Even at age 9, those were not hours I would choose to be alive when it wasn’t a school day, and I definitely did not get to play Pokemon before school, so getting events and Pokemon that primarily or only happened in the morning was a real hassle. Why couldn’t the morning period have been 6am-noon 😭

U4kordn.png

I don’t actually need the map card, but in case you hadn’t noticed, I like acquiring stuff. Besides, I think this old guy's kinda sweet, I wanna humour him.

z8UylJV.png
MCMx71e.png
KK2z9RP.png
rTF6suK.png

For me that point was 20 years ago, but you’re not wrong!

dYcy1VM.png
0DyOu7E.png
4TlJsFr.png

I’ll skip the actual tutorial, we all know what Pokemon Centres and Marts do

G3jgRZY.png
W9yg0VD.png
gQXzsLx.png

I feel bad for the lonely old man, okay??? And I’m proud of him for being more sober than Mr Roadblock over in Viridian!

a3Rv06J.png
WZnnoXe.png
HdK4GaZ.png
xQdkwov.png
6913gdA.png
PupnaPI.png
BDFX8yG.png

I am probably never gonna touch this feature again but it’s cute. Remember when the idea of our phones having maps was super cool and futuristic? And then it actually happened and turned out not to be cool bc Google uses it to stalk you and sell everything you do to advertisers
Alright I swear I’ll do the actual errand now

kJgssLl.png

Yeah I get that a lot

PmyHbQ7.png

Erranding onwards

G3SrLZv.png
5jngljn.png
mE7WZUz.png
b3O54xr.png
4IQbQMV.png
ix42ksa.png
8j0hIiL.png
7PDmMN1.png

As tutorials go, I find this one pleasantly non-invasive and you get useful free stuff for going through it, so all in all I’m in favour

gOGhSBT.png
cjqISUT.png

Implied protagonist dialogue? Also it’s nice of this rando to give me directions but it’s a shame they’re useless, because if I go just ahead…

CM21YMZ.png
WulaI2C.png
W5BxbJw.png
YOJLyUZ.png
keIj63a.png
F8Ct1aa.png

I run into this battle, which is kinda fun to see from the overworld. Man, that’s quite a Rattata in that fight…

VjDHQYz.png

Gee, I wonder what this does? I'm trying really hard not to be the Gen II equivalent of a Genwunner but I really struggle with the unintuitive berry names introduced in Gen III--I end up rarely using them because I have no idea what I have and it's too much of a faff to go through them individually in my bag. I just wanna know at a glance if I have a berry that cures psn okay I already have like 900 Pokemon to keep track of

5aVKCSy.png
eabyYzp.png

There’s a LOT of blether here and I’ve already inflicted too much on you, so moving swiftly along

EMb8Zlq.png
pnGer3o.png
sHWHAN8.png
6GBGq8S.png

Depends. Am I gonna get a Charmander out of it?

KpZZFcn.png

Not bad, but it’s no Charmander

QatJEeu.png
JZcNqdW.png
QIbeC4I.png
99OMRA4.png

Poking around Mr Pokemon’s house suggests either a globetrotter or a foreigner to Johto, which is very interesting and it’s a shame we never learn any more about it

OzXAix0.png
iIBG7wJ.png

As a kid I thought he had spaghetti on his floor for some reason, and it was longer than I care to admit before I went “ohhhhh, right, cables”. Why does Mr Pokemon have broken computers that either need a shitton of power or are transferring a shitton of data? We’ll never know!

aUMCcTJ.png
o6liXmi.png
bI5d8Dt.png
UXBp4uZ.png
xczZBzy.png
yE7nKDp.png

Oh goodness! That sounds awful! Whatever could possibly have happened? Well, I hope it ain't urgent because I'm not planning to get to it until Wednesday

In my continuing long-term game of "unpacking old cardboard boxes to find out what the fuck is even in them" I found my old gaming magazines, and damn did I have a nostalgia trip finding the 2001 issues...

enlVE1M.jpg

I couldn't get good enough lightning to really show the colours properly but that gold-and-silver background and the double page spread is gorgeous and it was some good nostalgic fun reading the review waxing lyrical about the shiniest newest Pokemon game on the block--though some parts are in hindsight pretty funny, so I'll have more to share on that later :x

Time for one hell of a question: what's your hottest take on berries? Thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

Anya Homura

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Clever
Hot take on Berries: there should be more accessible ways of getting them. Like, make the status cure ones sold at one or two places but make them slightly cheaper than normal status cure stuff. Like the alternate HP-healing items. Also, the crossbreeding for the EV ones in Kalos was fun and should've been kept.

Also, big felt on the time cycle stuff. I barely get around to doing things in the morning, so of Course that has to be when the best trainers to grind on are active. It's why I've yet to complete a Johto Nuzlocke myself. I've got patience and dedication, but not like. That much.

wedward45

The thinking chaotic neutral
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 18, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Hates conflict and negativity. Snarks too much for its own good.
Hot take on berries: I've memorized the healing ones and that's all I need to care about. The rest are money.

"What’s to be afraid of?’ she managed. ‘Us,’ said Granny Weatherwax, smugly."

Corviknight best birb

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 7, 2021
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
she - her
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Lives by the words "I'll do it tomorrow"
aaaahhhh, i'm late

Noctowl is definitely one of my favorite mons. And take good care of Haku!

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
I feel kinda bad for the guy who tells you about berries, if I recall he actually says that people only come over when the mistake him for Mr. Pokémon.

FPFP66

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Berries are great, but I’ve always been bothered by the availability in certain games. Gen II had the best system; one a day in certain locations. Having to fly around to water plants at certain hours is realistic but not at all user-friendly, especially if you’re trying to farm berries in the late game. RSE having a flower shop but not having a berry vendor there whose selections grew throughout the game was a missed opportunity...

..then again, so was the lack of day/night cycle there. At least we get legitimate nighttime adventures here. 😄

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Hottest take on Berries...I'm not sure there's enough to be said about them for any takes to be all that hot. I guess one thing would be that the Japanese naming system makes a lot more sense because they're all known as "fruits" rather than "Berries."

Okay, wait, I've got something now. Berries can be quite useful and shouldn't be underestimated in the early game. This doesn't apply so much to Gen II where they can't be cultivated, but in my recent Platinum Nuzlocke where the only decent held item I found nearly to Gardenia was the Quick Claw, taking the time off to grow some Orans and Cheris and Chestos was very much worth it.

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
I love Gen II but the one thing that irks me is how it takes forever till you actually get the Pokedex/Pokeballs and can get started. :p Or maybe I'm just an impatient person, haha.

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
@songwithnosoul I had forgotten that song until I saw it in your comment title and then I started singing it… the things that are stored in my hindbrain XD
It's hella catchy, isn't it? My second-favourite Pokémon theme song after the original, personally.

Gen II really does have some gorgeous spritework, huh? I feel like it’s still pretty popular because it still looks very 16-bit, but is much prettier than Gen I :P
Yeah, that's fair. It really, really does. The colours and all-around higher sprite quality do wonders

FPFP66 is probably right—pretty much every kid had their starter, an Ampharos, and the Red Gyarados in their teams XD Ampharos isn’t really known as one of the iconic Pokemon but it really is one of the best, y’know?
...I mean, I can't argue with you, because come to think of it one of my permanent teammates on my aforementioned SoulSilver game is an Ampharos, my Feraligatr's right-hand 'mon. You can catch them so early and electric is such a useful type! And it keeps pace with the team and stays good! So that makes a lot of sense.

Your love of the Totodile line never fails to delight me—that toy with biting action sounds fantastic, and d’awww XDXDXDXD Oh my goodness, I love that you still have those Feraligatr on your carts :D
Aww, I'm glad! It was a fun toy, yeah XD And I could always transfer Frieda and co. down to later-gen games, I do have the technology, but I get really sentimental about the actual game files themselves as well. Especially that very first one. It was a special time.

I still have my original HeartGold cart, but I didn’t keep my starter on that playthrough—I picked Chikorita for spite-related reasons but didn’t like using Meganium, so I eventually replaced it with a shiny Charmander that my friend bred and traded to me :x
That sounds extremely on-brand for you. And you have a good friend!

Sending all my love and respect to Frieda and Tai, Feraligatr really can carry you through the whole game ✊
Thank you! And yeah, absolutely. They're great!

I guess that lack of manpower is why they have to employ child labour.

Ma’am that’s either the zone or hyperfixation, which is probably a boon to research but somebody should still give him food. I’ll do it if you give me that Cyndaquil!
Hahaha

D6Hd4U9.png
diwpdHT.png
taK2KbP.png
1l4G7fQ.png

Lookit this teeny wee child sprite! Get a little bigger and your dad’ll get you to start running his errands!
lmao

I appreciate that you spotlighted Elm's family, though. They don't have much presence in the game compared to other professors' offspring, but I still think it's a nice detail.

21IeexS.png

This is an inaccurate depiction of an academic’s house, there should be so many bookshelves there’s barely space to walk
Alas, the technological limitations of a Gameboy cart prevented them from accurately rendering all those shelves...

iguFD01.png
g1jfumr.png

And what of the mythical Cotton-Eyed Joe?
hahaha

These are his research papers? I thought I was reading his blog or something… not quite academic language, Professor, but hey, you didn’t bribe me with a Totodile to do your editing!
Hah

Hold up hen, I got your back, lemme get you some support resources for women in STEM
Point her towards Unova!

Okay, that done, I’m gonna actually run the errand that I was paid in Good Boys to do
I love how that's phrased!

z8UylJV.png
MCMx71e.png
KK2z9RP.png
rTF6suK.png

For me that point was 20 years ago, but you’re not wrong!
I guess he didn't catch the theme of this nuzlocke!

I feel bad for the lonely old man, okay??? And I’m proud of him for being more sober than Mr Roadblock over in Viridian!
It's Trainers like you indulging in his tutorials that keeps him off the bottle! We all just need to explain our interests at people at length sometimes to stay emotionally healthy.

I am probably never gonna touch this feature again but it’s cute. Remember when the idea of our phones having maps was super cool and futuristic? And then it actually happened and turned out not to be cool bc Google uses it to stalk you and sell everything you do to advertisers
God, it's the worst. All of these legitimately useful technologies, some of which are potentially groundbreaking assistive technologies, completely ruined by capitalism turning them into fucking spyware.

kJgssLl.png

Yeah I get that a lot
Ouch. When even a video game judges your sleep habits...

I run into this battle, which is kinda fun to see from the overworld. Man, that’s quite a Rattata in that fight…
You might even says that it's... a top-percent--

Gee, I wonder what this does? I'm trying really hard not to be the Gen II equivalent of a Genwunner but I really struggle with the unintuitive berry names introduced in Gen III--I end up rarely using them because I have no idea what I have and it's too much of a faff to go through them individually in my bag. I just wanna know at a glance if I have a berry that cures psn okay I already have like 900 Pokemon to keep track of
No, that's fair. There are so many berries. Even if Pecha Berry is a more realistic name that PSNCureBerry, it's perfectly reasonable to prefer function over form on this one.

Oh, I hope you get the chance to hatch that Togepi!

EMb8Zlq.png
pnGer3o.png
sHWHAN8.png
6GBGq8S.png

Depends. Am I gonna get a Charmander out of it?
Hah. I love how you're just fully demanding fire-type starters as a form of currency by this point.

Oh goodness! That sounds awful! Whatever could possibly have happened? Well, I hope it ain't urgent because I'm not planning to get to it until Wednesday
lmao

I couldn't get good enough lightning to really show the colours properly but that gold-and-silver background and the double page spread is gorgeous and it was some good nostalgic fun reading the review waxing lyrical about the shiniest newest Pokemon game on the block--though some parts are in hindsight pretty funny, so I'll have more to share on that later :x
Even if the picture doesn't capture it perfectly I can still imagine it, and it is pretty even from just what I can see. It's great that you kept these old magazines! They seem like nostalgia goldmines and great snapshots of the era. And also it's fun when you share this stuff, so I'm glad you're keeping it up!

Time for one hell of a question: what's your hottest take on berries?
Looking up the berries in Bulbapedia, I learned that a lot of them don't do anything besides contribute to certain Pokéblock flavours (or Natural Gift types, to be fair, but only from Gen IV on), which seems a bit redundant to me. Most berries have some kind of in-battle use and I don't want to turn this into advocating a culling until only the most useful remain or anything, but couldn't they have used all of the other shit-ton of berries they introduced in Gen III for those purposes as well? Did they think it was just unfair to ask kids to exercise resource management in choosing whether to keep berries for healing or spend them for Pokéblock-making, or to wait to grow more? At least they're only available in the gens where you can do something with them, but still. IDK if this is actually a hot take, but it's not really something I hear people talking about. I guess it's more of a niche gripe instead.

(That said, if we are culling the berries until only the most useful remain, I vote for Leppa (+10PP), Lum (cures all status conditions), and the EV-lowering berries. Which I imagine would not fly with all of the competitive players whose meta is designed around the berries that heal 33% when your Pokémon's HP falls below 25% but also causes confusion in natures that don't like bitter flavours, or whatever.)

I also enjoy the simplicity of Pokémon Go only having three types of berries, plus two fancier variants. It only works because PoGo is the simpler game by far, but it works really well. I like not having to think about it.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Anya Homura I feel like there’s been one or two places in games where you can buy berries, but, like, a very limited selection? God wouldn’t it be cute and handy to be able to buy wee packets of berries at some shops, even just a single special stall or vending machine. It’d make life sooooo much easier

@wedward45 basically yeah, I just have to sell the non-healing berries to make it easier to find the ones I actually want XP
“Humans! They lived in a world where the grass continued to be green and the sun rose every day and flowers regularly turned into fruit, and what impressed them? Weeping statues. And wine made out of water! A mere quantum-mechanistic tunnel effect, that'd happen anyway if you were prepared to wait zillions of years. As if the turning of sunlight into wine, by means of vines and grapes and time and enzymes, wasn't a thousand times more impressive and happened all the time.”

@Corviknight best birb eyyy, you’re here and that’s what matters! Haku is an extremely good boy!

@Time Master Eon I didn’t talk to the berry guy after I’d gotten a free berry for him so I don’t know, but I don’t remember that line 🤔

@FPFP66 I don’t have a good enough memory to remember where I planted berries and go water them all—let them grow wild and free!

@ActiveTransport … “fruit” makes WAY more sense, why was that changed to “berry”??? You’re not wrong that berries are super useful, though, a Mint or Gold berry in the right place has saved my ass a few times!

@Yuna For some reason the slow start of Gen II strikes me as less annoying than in Gen I, possibly because fetching the egg actually leads to something in Gen II, whereas the mystery package Oak gets in Gen I is just a whacking great nothing-burger that delays me catching Pokemon for no reason XP

@songwithnosoul Fuck cryptocurrency, we only accept physical currency around here and the preferred currency is starter Pokemon
Elm’s family doesn’t do anything ingame, but I think it’s cute that they exist!
Look if letting a friendly old man infodump at me keeps him out of the bottle and off the roads, it’s a service I’m willing to offer, and besides what is this series if not me infodumping about old games I love
I keep old magazines because I’m a goddamn hoarder but turns out they’re useful in mildly entertaining a handful of people on the internet decades later so hey, my hoarding is fully justified!
Fully agreed that berries need to be simplified, there’s a whole mess of stuff going on with them that just feels extremely unnecessary XP I mean I know I just confessed to being a hoarder and even I tend to throw away or sell most berries XP

Hello and welcome back to my Gold nostalgialocke! Last time, we met Elm’s weird friends and got a very concerning call from the good professor himself. This time…

pBGOxyF.png

a4FIbKi.png

Headin’ back to New Bark town to see what all the fuss is about

Gasp! A wild asshole appears! With decent theme music, but not as good as Gen I

MUhigNZ.png
he8Opa1.png
wJKsR9v.png
lkNyo7h.png

I wonder if the long pauses are Chu speaking to him, or just an awkward silence as he glares at me and I just resolutely refuse to respond.

V94ztQ2.png
ZgLHIue.png
0YzgBVw.png
gbWfhPK.png

The screen flashes quite a bit when throwing you into a battle, but the fact that I happened to cap a frame where it’s all pink makes it look like belligerent romantic tension, like the rival’s trying to show off how cool and strong he is instead of admitting he likes his crush

KvYFIow.png

Lookit this boy, throwing a pose to look cool

IzmMX8n.png

I was startled for a moment because in most of the later gens a yellow Chikorita is a shiny Chikorita, and was about to yell about what a lucky fucker the rival is until I remembered...

oLheAeB.jpg

...that was just how Chikorita looked in Gold and Silver and that its shiny form back then was red. The sprites in Gen II were definitely better than in Gen I, but there was still some odd stuff here and there, because things like colour palettes hadn’t really been finalized, which spilled over into official art too.

Ru4LLpx.jpg

Speaking of, check out Green Hoothoot! This... honestly looks pretty creepy and I'm glad they settled on brown later.

x3mvlWa.png
OJWWZJv.png
142Tbwt.png
vxa5s7L.png

And now for our regular programming, “slap fights between babies”

O4f97rj.png
pQSbGFs.png
nSQLYYH.png

Fuckin delighted, mate, highlight of my week

5qMV1Id.png
0LtzIwB.png

😭 how are you doing that with your mouth

Pd1eeEl.png
qupGbuL.png
TXtSI2G.png

Bro who the fuck isn’t

ALPJHZK.png

Time to leave the Mystery Egg on Elm’s doorstep, ring his doorbell, and then step back to a safe social distance to keep an eye out until he picks it up

AawVF3N.png
MnPQffn.png
RZEw6jS.png
wlTPWJR.png

A… a cop… actually… doing their job? Holy shit

zmb9l4j.png
JKU6cR1.png

So this is how I, and I think a lot of kids, found out Silver was a boy. I feel like I remember reading somebody talking about the rival being a girl this time, but I didn't find it in any of my old magazines.

iraU1RH.jpg

This is all I found, and... deadly? Bit of an over-reaction to getting pushed over, NOM!
(That said, the confusion has caused a lot of writers to have interesting non-cis takes on Silver’s gender and they can be good fun!)

cwJgQVq.png
SbBEUKg.png
KPk47i3.png
qrAiwu9.png

Okay so it’s not visible here because I don’t like naming folk in all caps, it’s annoying to read, but on the upper-case keyboard there’s a question mark, so I know quite a few folk who, as a joke, named their rival “???” for the duration of the game. Although most folk still went with “bawheid” and the like bc we were 9

x9Hp9iy.png
dUZo5OG.png

And after this the cops never do anything useful ever again, or indeed do anything at all except sometimes attack you at night…
…I’m… gonna move very swiftly along from that…

xcKkx10.png
YLands0.png
wl624N6.png
nTxFGw8.png

The way he jumps back in shock still gives me a wee giggle. If you talk to him from the front, it looks like he whacks his head on one of those windows; sadly, talking to him from to side doesn’t get him to shoot past the bookshelves and into the far wall.

MVPqioB.png
A5IunZZ.png
lT7brqe.png

Now that I think about it, if you go with the take that there are no normal animals in this world, just Pokemon, that would make this not just the discovery of Pokemon eggs but of eggs in general. Like, if there’s no normal birds, how the fuck would they even know what an egg is? I should stop overthinking this cute way to introduce a new mechanic but there’s all sorts of weird shit you could spin out of this

45pJc3b.png
pxYViNx.png
LKZaSEe.png
FR6w78d.png

Anyway there’s a LOT of blethers about Professor Oak and the Pokemon League and most of it I’ll skip but I just think this is sweet

ea2Nzrf.png
XU11M5Q.png
0IPf2a8.png

Thank you very much, helpful lab man! Time to go start making catches!

x3S4TX2.png

…but first I’m gonna talk to my mum. She’s sweet okay I don’t wanna leave without saying goodbye

DXRXKrX.png
bIpQwbS.png
yJ9jmdG.png
YWUdMo1.png
6p6VXxW.png

She’s so sweet and supportive I feel so bad about leaving her alone 😭

DoXzkxv.png

I could say that I’m doing this because I like occasionally getting items as presents from her, or that I like being able to withdraw a big chunk of money to buy items before the Pokemon League, but I have to be honest: I want that Big Snorlax doll you get if you save enough money. When I was a kid I got the Big Lapras from mystery gift and I was SO proud of that thing, I loved it so much ❤ 😭

u34fEqD.png
3sHOVgx.png
17PQMJI.png
DhLCaNG.png
GQ3x9tX.png

I love you so much fictional mum Q_Q

hbrsXXA.png

Right, I think during the day I’ve got a shot at a Pidgey, Hoppip or Sentret—

vjQkqOL.png
RYCK4zS.png
UfhTa27.png
Bf4pH2p.png
5IGetvc.png

Aw, fuck’s sakes, here we go. No escape from the capture tutorial…

zfRzjMX.png
6umgcju.png
2cZi9XC.png
7PKEkmM.png
qkwHa0H.png

Except, because Gen II is the best gen, Tutorial Man accepts your No and leaves you alone! Why would you stop offering this option, Game Freak

0b5eHZs.png

Time to actually find a catch, since I’m talking a big game about being able to do it myself! Pidgey is duped out, but I still get a couple more shots to find something

PI2l8JC.png
6ctg1We.png

…aaaaaand they’re both Pidgey. Maybe I should’ve come at night, get a near-guaranteed Hoothoot. Acht weel. Onwards then!

knoV1H5.png

New route, new catches, hopefully…

vZZkwqq.png

Caterpie is also duped out, sadly, but lookit how cuuuuuute he is! Gosh he’s so tiny I love him

asSS6wX.png

…okay, seriously, yes they’re cute but they’re DUPED. Bugger off, sweetie!

oxfLu9Z.png

Alright, maybe if I head north and try some other grass patches… first things first tho

zt0VgKv.png
bqxAf9v.png
bXj9pZv.png
EVLrY6e.png

Fucking rude

lW8tOzJ.png
NHKbl5Z.png

And there he is: the man, the meme, the legend… the top percentage Rattata. I’ve heard rumours that if you go into the game code this Rattata does in fact have perfect IVs, but I don’t know if that’s true or not. Had they even made IVs yet in Gen II?

mWoFEZY.png
TO5B3N1.png
f2gr7L5.png
9UG64nl.png

Unfortunately for Joey, even the top percentage of Rattata is no match for this Very Good Boy

qbhs1fZ.png

Not gonna take his number, though, just gonna take one last shot at getting a catch on this route again

1X26e2c.png

Fuck’s sakes man

a79quzS.png

Alright, gonna pop off another couple trainers, head north to Route 31, try again, because I’m really not trying to do a Totodile sololocke here

yAGuafX.png

Another dupe, but I get two more shots…

4RGWgam.png

Theeeeeere we go!

nqw66qd.png

Haku’s pretty overleveled, so I’m a bit antsy about trying to attack. Might just be able to nab it at level 3, though.

PBdNhOD.png
uBlhspv.png

Bugger. Apparently not.

qWuVQYp.png
4BOK7lW.png
pGD4urO.png

Fffffuck that hurts! As a side note, berries are a good way to introduce held items because if you don’t notice it on the Pokemon’s stats screen or visit the berry guy on Route 30, this’ll happen sooner or later so you really can’t miss it.

cWJd2S3.png
L8DRAyP.png

After a couple more pokeballs failed to do the job while poor Haku was really getting his ass kicked, I decided to chance a Scratch, which thankfully just took it down to a wee touch of HP…

co36L5O.png
dshcA69.png
bgJ6fmw.png

Oh thank christ, I cannot believe a level 3 Bellsprout nearly ended my whole run

MjmMKeJ.png
hlFteGX.png
JFba3mv.png

Man, it’s been a long time since I’ve thought about Pikmin, but apparently that came out in 2001! I used to play it for ages on my neighbour’s Gamecube, and it was one of the first games we got when we got our own. It’s such a cute wee puzzle-strategy game, y’know? Shame none of the flowery wee buggers have names :P

uVV8p9Z.png

Christ on a bike, look at the state of you two… Hope you can hold out until Friday!

Next time... boy howdy, if you think I had a bad time with Bellsprout HERE...
I don't really have any spicy questions but I want to share this screenshot of a feature I'd entirely forgotten because I almost never look at the pokedex in nuzlockes, but I think is incredibly adorable

p8l9McN.jpg

Thanks for joining me, and haste ye back!

FPFP66

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
“I happened to cap a frame where it’s all pink makes it look like belligerent romantic tension, like the rival’s trying to show off how cool and strong he is instead of admitting he likes his crush”

and it gets so, so much better at the Goldenrod Radio Tower in HGSS.

I always thought it was interesting introducing Bellsprout this early. Obviously you have the Sprout Tower but the Grass-type really isn’t needed in GSC outside of HMs and, what, maybe Chuck’s Poliwrath? And stones are a pain to get outside of tradebacks in GS. Compare that to Gen I (and by extension, LGFR) where a Bellsprout or Oddish sure would’ve been nice to have against Brock. (At least with Water, you can Wooper really early and it’ll evolve at a reasonable level.)

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
And there he is: the man, the meme, the legend… the top percentage Rattata. I’ve heard rumours that if you go into the game code this Rattata does in fact have perfect IVs, but I don’t know if that’s true or not. Had they even made IVs yet in Gen II?
It's funny you should say this, because I once heard a rumor that went the exact opposite: that the Rattata's IVs are all zero, making Joey either a liar, hopelessly naive, or the victim of a cruel cosmic joke.

Users who are viewing this thread