• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

General Video Games Unpopular Pokemon Opinions

Thread Description
For when you want to give your spiciest Pokemon Takes

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
It's not "complete luck," though? If anything, it's more skill-based than the traditional capturing method, since there's aiming and timing elements that improve the effectiveness of the ball.

Which isn't to say it doesn't also have issues in that regard (certain Pokemon move WAY too much [which basically just isn't fun], and it doesn't always register your motion correctly [occasionally a normal throw will be launched into space, or off to the side of the screen for no apparent reason]), but yeah...

It's also really not that hard to grind. You just need to catch wilds. Aiming for stuff that gives good Exp. and is easy enough to catch, and then building up a chain leads to pretty good Exp. pretty quickly. Raticate is a good option from the midgame onwards, but breaking your chain with a Chansey is usually a trap. I believe that the more you've caught overall, the easier that catching more of them will become, so I stopped having Raticate escape from any of my balls by the end of my (very grindy concept of a) Nuzlocke.

Is it different? Yes. Very. But needing to learn a new system doesn't mean it's bad.

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I unironically want a Let’s Go Johto game. Probably has something to do with the fact that Johto is my favourite region and I think it deserves the 3D treatment. I honestly didn’t mind the Let’s Go games. The only thing I really wasn’t a fan of was the Dex cut and lack of abilities/held items. Everything else was good.

Moon

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
I personally do not know why people complain about pokeballs flying into space with a normal flick, bacause
a. I have never had that happen to me and
b. You don't need to flick.
You just need to aim and press A

Neotornado

Kanto League Champion
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
My problem with Let's Go is changing how you catch 'mons into complete luck rather than the conventional method and making it a lot harder to grind. I feel like they were made mainly to appeal to Go players and honestly should've been a side-series game, or skipped completely so that more time could've been spent on SwSh.
As someone who plays GO I think my main issue on that end is that pokemon can flee any time they want after some time has passed; as opposed to vanilla GO where pokemon can only flee after they escape from a pokeball. (or in the case of raid bosses, when you miss a throw on your last pokeball)
...That, and having joy-con drift makes catching things a lot more difficult than it really should be. (unlike every other switch game I have, the pro controller is not an option sadly)

...and on that note, speaking of games people tend to give a lot of odd looks about I still play GO a fair bit, though I didn't experience the really awkward first year that the game had before everything got fully implemented in (I started playing in mid 2018 shortly after friend gifts were added) so I might have a better view on it because of that. I can see the game being a hassle for rural players but it's kinda been my mediator of sorts on campus when I need to kill a bit of time between classes.

satanicswirlix

Nuzlockes remind me that I don't have friends
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
B̵͎͗e̶͊ͅh̶̩̒ì̸̪n̵̼͐d̸̥̚ ̷̀ͅy̷͎̓o̷͚̊u̶̗̕.̶̻̒
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
it's pronouns-ed "STEEL-ix"
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
  3. Ghost
  4. Poison
  5. Cute
  6. ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon fails at life. When she isn't seen animating 2D breasts for her nuzlocke, she often watches anime, or sucks at video games on Twitch.
Time for my spiciest gamer takes:

• Charmander is good. Bulbasaur is good too. Squirtle is the actual starter who's underrated.
  • Generations 1-4 were the best. I can't be bothered with Gen 5, and the 3D games are too boring to replay.
  • I mean really, the stories for the 3D games were just stupid. "Alternate universes"? "Stopping a disaster that'll happen 1,000 years from now by awakening an eldritch abomination"? I do not care. It shouldn't have taken 20+ years for us to see an actual change in the formula with Legends.
  • I wish they'd stop with the gimmicks. Or at least stick to them. I miss Ball Seals! Berry pots! Contests! Secret bases! Megas! I don't care about "POKEMON BUT BIG LUL". At least the regional forms are back, but I want to be able to pet my Pokemon again, damn it. The switch has a touch screen. :(
  • A lot of the new Pokemon designs are ugly, or just disappointing. Sure, there are some good ones, but I just can't play Gen 5 with the restricted dex.
  • Obsessing over graphics is stupid. Graphics are only a small part of what makes a game good. Chibi Dawn is a queen.
  • Strong Pokemon don't exist. Ignore natures and statistics. Ignore Smogon. Ignore rule 2 of nuzlockes. Use what you love.
  • The only rom hacks that I've played so far are Drayano's and Pokemon Clover - and I think both surpass the original games. A lot of rom hacks I've seen are either unnecessarily edgy, or too difficult. Neither of which make them better.
  • Johto deserves the remake treatment. But not excruciatingly boring, like Let's Go. I just want to be able to play the vanilla games without facing glitches and underleveled Pokemon.
  • Whitney was never difficult, even without proper counters.
  • People who get into fights on Twitter over liking/disliking the new games have too much free time. The consoom product, "Pokemon fans when X" and bootlicking memes stopped being funny a while ago.
    • unknown.png

PageEmperor

Absolute loather and despiser of ads.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
Huh, so ROM hack opinions can stay? Alright, since the post above mine reminded me, Pokemon Clover is.. a ROM hack I have zero interest in playing. I like ridiculous things, ridiculous ROM hacks just as much, but that… is just too weird for my liking. There are in fact quite a few ROM hacks I will never touch with a massive foot pole (like, I dunno, god fucking fire red rocket edition, and many hacks that are inferior versions than of better ones). I’d rather play Pokemon Clover than play those wastes of space, but still.

Okay, for an unpopular opinion for the games, it makes sense that Charizard isn’t part Dragon. True, it is definitely a dragon in both design and spirit, but looking at the majority of the Dragons in the series, most of them are described whether it be in the dex or in various descriptions to have mythical dragon energy, or some kind of strange power. Was Charizard ever given that kind of description? I’d like to say yes, but most of it’s decriptions talk about it’s flight powers or fire powers more than dragon energy. And it’s not like it isn’t acknowledged; it learns many Dragon moves and one of it’s mega evos is part Dragon. If it weren’t for that, then yes, I would be complaining too. But now, I don’t get why it is still debated.

And finally since I do know that ROM hack opinions are allowed, then the Grass leader from Glazed is literally the easiest Pokemon gym leader in all of existence. I ran through him in my first run to the point I completely forgot he existed when documenting it, and the second time, I tried to make him more challenging and while things got stally, he was still a massive joke.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I figured the reason Charizard isn't part Dragon was because it's a starter Pokemon and back in Gen 1, dragon Pokemon were supposed to be ultra rare and hard to get, not handed out like birthday presents.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
I figured the reason Charizard isn't part Dragon was because it's a starter Pokemon and back in Gen 1, dragon Pokemon were supposed to be ultra rare and hard to get, not handed out like birthday presents.
I think there's also the fact that having one starter get such a powerful typing as Dragon would make it superior to the other starters. Dragon resists all starter typings so it would get rid of the type balance rock-paper-scissors the starters usually have going for them. Like with Charizard being part dragon, it would be just as resistant to Venusaur as it was when it was Fire/Flying and also be neutral to water types like Blastoise. If that was the case, your rival would be even easier to beat.

Neotornado

Kanto League Champion
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
And finally since I do know that ROM hack opinions are allowed, then the Grass leader from Glazed is literally the easiest Pokemon gym leader in all of existence. I ran through him in my first run to the point I completely forgot he existed when documenting it, and the second time, I tried to make him more challenging and while things got stally, he was still a massive joke.
from what I remember my main issue with that fight (and why I wiped there twice) was sleep powder venusaur before you had access to chesto/lum berries. I'd imagine it'd probably be far easier in a run where you're allowed healing items. (or get lucky with accuracy I suppose)

As for clover, I can 100% see that, clover's probably one of those hacks i'd only play fully to punish myself since while the earlygame is fine it kinda just spirals out of control for difficulty a little after you beat the third gym. I think the most popular hack that I really dislike (beyond drayano's stuff) is Alternate Evolutions, which basically takes everything I don't like about drayano's hacks (every notable trainer having 6 pokemon with endgame coverage from the word go and random ambushes out of nowhere.) and cranks them up to 11. in general I find that fights with a full team should be used really sparingly (villainous teams, rivals, champions, and MAYBE the 8th gym leader or optional boss) otherwise it just gets tedious really fast to have to deal with 6 pokemon on every single fight.

also about charizard I'd also extend that to lugia not being dragon or water as well, since both mons of that duo are meant to be flyers. Given lugia's nature as a wall, /dragon might have made it a little too much to handle outside of ice type attacks, and /water would have been the same (just with electric)

Last edited:

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I think there's also the fact that having one starter get such a powerful typing as Dragon would make it superior to the other starters. Dragon resists all starter typings so it would get rid of the type balance rock-paper-scissors the starters usually have going for them. Like with Charizard being part dragon, it would be just as resistant to Venusaur as it was when it was Fire/Flying and also be neutral to water types like Blastoise. If that was the case, your rival would be even easier to beat.
Pretty much this, which is why I'm okay with Zard not being part-Dragon.
However, I do think giving it a part-Dragon Mega was completely justified.

RevenantArcan

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
Clover's inherent 4chan-stylings make it equally inherently unappealing. I don't care if it's secretly the best Pokemon game/hack ever made, the 4chan "humour" or whatever you'd describe it as is an instant turn-off.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I would never, EVER play Clover, or even watch a playthrough.

On the subject of Mega Charizard X, I actually don't mind that Charizard and Mewtwo get two Mega Evolutions. Sure, it's because they're stupid popular characters, but the fact that they're stupid popular means that more casual fans are going to think "Oh, this is so cool!" and I'm not going to argue with them about that.

I do wish that we had more G-Max forms that weren't Gen 1 or Gen 8. Although I seriously doubt that counts as an 'unpopular' opinion.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Pity. Why not?
Same reason RevenantArcan stated. I don't like the 'humor'. Honestly, I tried looking at its Pokedex and was immediately turned off by the grass starter line alone.

Moon

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
I don't like the 'humor'. Honestly, I tried looking at its Pokedex and was immediately turned off by the grass starter line alone.
alright, now i have to read every single pokedex entry in pokemon clover.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost is happy with food, rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
I agree with a lot of you here, I took one look at Pokemon Clover's Grass type starter also and decided that this game would not be for me sdlkfdsjfh

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I have actually played Clover, most of it is outdated memes and offensive humour. (Literally look at any one of the trainer classes). I’d agree and say that it’s not for everyone. I had fun with it, but I do admit that even I got offended at some points. And I’m a difficult person to offend. If offensive humour isn’t your forte, don’t play the game. But if you can get past it, there’s a lot challenging battles and the occasional funny joke. (Emphasis on occasional.) I don’t blame anyone who choses to not play the game.

King Smorgascake

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Outdated memes and offensive humour? If it weren't for the fakemon (who honestly has the time to learn about 386 fake pokemon, even if they're funny?), it would be right up my street.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I don't get offended easily, but everything about Clover being a 4chan hack just screams disgusting/beyond over the line. And outdated memes and fakemon? No thanks.

Broader opinion regarding hacks/fangames: I don't like fakemon. At all. We have nearly 1000 Pokémon to use now, why the heck do hackers feel the need to make more? Plus a lot of them just look terrible. I'm all for creativity, but fakemon have just never worked for me, and I highly doubt I'd ever play a game with just fakemon (I could probably forgive a few here and there, but if most/the whole game is fakemon I'd probably have to pass).
Fake Megas/etc. are one thing, but fakemon in general are just a huge turnoff for me.

More random opinion: I don't really see why Zangoose is one of the more popular Pokémon. It just looks weird to me, and outside of Swords Dance (which is not rare by any means) I don't really see what it has going for it in battle.
I don't hate it, but I just don't get why it's popular. I think Seviper is the far more interesting one of that pair.

Users who are viewing this thread