• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

General Video Games Unpopular Pokemon Opinions

Thread Description
For when you want to give your spiciest Pokemon Takes

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I can't stand Looker, and I don't know why they keep bringing him back every gen. He has to be one of the most incompetent people ever (how in the hell is he part of Interpol?) and frankly got annoying really fast. Can think of a lot of other characters I'd rather see again than his dumb ass for the 6th time.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
I'm personally not that hyped by the idea of finding Shinies and would never have the patience (or time) to shiny hunt. This is partly due to my terrible luck - I remember thinking a green Zubat was a sign of a glitch when I was like 11 and OHKOing the poor thing, and haven't found any Shinies bar the Gyarados in main-series games since ;p - and partly because the levels of (what seems like) monotonous effort to hunt and breed for a Shiny immediately really put me off the idea. Fangames are the exception because they up the Shiny rate to tolerable levels for me and (while some redesigns are not the best) can make custom Shinies to fix the ones with clashing colours or that only look desaturated, though I don't Shiny hunt even then. Like I do like looking at all the different colours of the Pokemon online (the Pokemon Database's Shinydex is really cool) and seeing what colours work and don't work, but I'm just happy seeing the neat ones online instead of in games.

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
I've never really made a huge deal over shinies, but I still find it fun when I find one randomly. The idea of hunting for them never really appealed to me until I decided to finally do a hunt for my favourite Pokemon (Sandshrew) as something to do while watching/listening to podcasts, and other videos that don't require my full attention. I ended up getting a Sandshrew in only 210 encounters in Shield, and then went back to Alola to catch some through SOS battles there. It's honestly not all that exciting to me to get one that quickly, and without the surprise factor of it happening when you're not aiming to find one. But I'm still gonna keep going for a few other Pokemon, while I'm in the mood. It'll probably only take one particularly unlucky attempt to convince me to not bother with any others, though.

Brendan Rizzo

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 5, 2021
I actually like most of the Green Version sprites. Granted, you're not gonna see me ever defend Zubat, Dragonite, or Mew's depictions, but most are decent, and some, like Pidgeot, are actually better than what the international versions got, IMO.

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
i will absolutely defend green dragonite, look at it, it's the more snakelike evolution of dragonair that everyone wanted

Brendan Rizzo

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 5, 2021
And another thing...

The Kanto part of Generation II and the remakes is really boring. There's pretty much nothing to do, all the encounters are so underleveled, and all you do is fight weak trainer after weak trainer. When I played it myself, I was just waiting for it to be over! Even the dialogue doesn't save it; the only thing that really got an emotional reaction from me was the girl with the Slowbro in Cerulean saying that she and her Pokemon are like the best team ever. None of the other "where are they now" moments really amounted to anything at all.

Xweli

Nuzlocke Host
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2021
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Psychic
1) Charmander doesn't struggle in gen 1 or gen 3, the thought that it does is perpetuated by bad players who dont know how to use stat moves and get scared whenever they see "not very effective".

2) Whitney isn't actually hard at all.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
1) Charmander doesn't struggle in gen 1 or gen 3, the thought that it does is perpetuated by bad players who dont know how to use stat moves and get scared whenever they see "not very effective".

2) Whitney isn't actually hard at all.
Mostly agreed, though rock tomb in FR/LG can still bean an unsuspecting charmander. In that case its more "won't swap from charmander to the mankey put on route 22 just for that reason" (or maybe not using growl on other mons to lower the damage)

As for whitney, I like calling her a skill check in a way. If you go into her expecting to strong-arm her then you will probably lose horribly, but if you go into her with any sort of plan (sandshrew/geodude/onix/maybe machop, stat lowering moves, dig, reflect on bayleef, gastly in gen II to an extent) then you shouldn't have issues unless clefairy rolls something absurd with metronome or you get out-luck'ed on stomp/attract.

As for my own (possibly) unpopular thoughts, I kinda wish pokemon GO would stop leaning so hard into PvP with its more recent community days, since most of the community days since rhyhorn's have been PvP focused to... mixed success, considering some of the featured mons were too glassy to be used in PvP to begin with (counter alakazam and weather ball/bullet seed roserade being two particularly unfortunite attempts and magmar/electabuzz seems to have been done more for flavor than gameplay) I do realize that the only real advancements for PvE still left would be releasing shadows for already good PvE attackers, but could still help some mediocre mons become more usable attackers with some moveset updates, such as with rhypherior. updates like avalance beartic, sky attack aerodactyl, or more starter elemental hyper beams would shake help make raid battles a little more diverse. (that being said, some types still need solid PvE moves in general like bug, dark, fairy, and steel outside of meteor mash/doom desire)

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 14, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Despite loving the outdoors, the Neb Pokémon has more introverted hobbies. As a result it has a socially awkward temperament.
West sea Gastrodon >>> East Sea Gastrodon any day

Black 2 and White 2 were the last Pokémon games to really value post game content.

ORAS were actually pretty good remakes. The remastered soundtrack is exactly what these songs should’ve sounded like.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Something I saw mentioned elsewhere and I agree with: Gladion and Lillie should have been the protagonists of Sun and Moon. And I don't mean the silent, blank slate protags, but actual dialogue and backstory and everything. The game would need some rewriting to account for it, especially on Lillie's front. But Pokemon games lately really want to tell a story and our current overpowered, no name no backstory silent emotionless mary sue protagonists who exist purely to crush the hopes and dreams of their friends are kinda fudging it up hard. I get that it's supposed to be "you" and able to self-insert into, but I really feel the games would be stronger if they stopped doing that and S/M are huge showcases of it.

I mean, heck, for Sword and Shield, imagine if we were Hop instead of Hop being the rival. Even if you changed little else about the plot beyond Hop's stuff, it'd be even better because then we could fulfill the dream of rising up to and defeating Leon rather than kicking Hop to the curb. Or bonus points, make female players be Marnie with her backstory and different dialogue and all.

Or in X and Y, we could... ummm... hmmm... Actually, I don't know if there's any saving that group of rivals. Nevermind.

But, could still keep the trainer customization and all. It'd just... work so much better to work the players into actual people in the game world rather than the simply "player avatar".

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I agree wholeheartedly. Imagine an Unova game where you play as Cheren or Bianca. Or, heck with it, a game where you play as a Team Rocket member trying to work their way up in the ranks... oh, wait, the fangame Pokemon FireRed: Team Rocket Edition is a thing and it's awesome. (Although not really the best game to nuzlocke, especially given a scripted loss to Red early on in the game. Also, it should be mentioned that it's a mature game and, while not Reborn levels of grimdark, does contain notable amounts of edge.)

I want to see more fangames where you play as a canon character different than the 'main character' and experience their stories.

NightFlowerLuv

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 16, 2021
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Pokédex Entry
The wild Luv can often be found trying to juggle too many things at once. Encouraging her to put things down may only result in more stress, however.
... Sure, this is an entirely sane place to put my third ever post.

Ahem.

Hugh is the best rival.

Barry is fine and Silver is great and N if he counts is obviously phenomenal but I would move heaven and earth for Hugh and the fact that so many people dismiss him breaks my damn heart!! The themes of BW2 in general don't get enough love or attention, in my opinion, but Hugh really represents and helps to fully realize the themes of trying to move on from past mistakes and traumas and create a better world despite understandable anger and sadness -- and again, if you didn't think those themes were part of BW2, look again! The morality aspect of Unova is the least interesting theme!

Hugh also stands out for seeming on the surface to be an edgelord but actually just being a very driven and good person who just has some anger problems to work out. As an additional hot take, let me just say that I never understood the appeal of asshole rivals anyway -- I much prefer when the characters you have to run into multiple times have actual depth to their character besides a superiority or inferiority complex (yes I said I like Silver, because he does have more to him than that, even if it's not always presented the best).

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
As an additional hot take, let me just say that I never understood the appeal of asshole rivals anyway -- I much prefer when the characters you have to run into multiple times have actual depth to their character besides a superiority or inferiority complex (yes I said I like Silver, because he does have more to him than that, even if it's not always presented the best).
I definitely agree that being a jerk does not make a rival good, and being nice does not make a rival bad. I mean, Trace could've actually been a good character if he'd had any actual story depth to him -- and the sad part is, there was plenty of opportunity in LGPE for Trace to face his fears (Lavender Tower, Silph Co.), and it was all entirely wasted.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I prefer Crystal to HGSS.

HGSS are good, but Johto just completely lacks the identity that made me love it in GSC. Johto was mysterious and relaxing, but in HGSS it's typical in your face overly bouncy stuff. Many of the music remixes are way bouncier with extra fluff that doesn't improve them. Voltorb Flip sucks. They took out the ability to get the elemental punches in Goldenrod, which in my opinion is one of the most iconic and memorable things about GSC, no matter how daft that sounds. The games are more handholdy than the originals. They changed one of Clair's Dragonair to a Gyarados for some reason and took out Red's Espeon, his only gen 2 Pokemon, in place for a Lapras which is pretty redundant, but didn't bother giving Morty a Misdreavus. They also replaced Blue's Alakazam with Machamp despite him never using it but using Alakazam in every single game until this point. They took out the Odd Egg, one of Crystal's best features.

Sure there's more to do and Kanto is way better, and there's a lot of quality of life improvements including better learnsets and easier access to stones thanks to the Pokeathlon, but it just isn't the same. Gen 2 Johto has such a great atmosphere and used its colours really well. HGSS just feels off.

Oh and they added loads of fluffy nonsense but didn't bother fixing most of the issues (Cliff Cave and the Safari Zone mitigate some of the missing Johto Pokemon to some extent, as does Primo's egg Slugma if you know how to get it). It's like they kept a lot of the stuff that needed fixing the same, yet changed all the things that made it special.

Also they're the worst games to nuzlocke except for maybe the gen 7 games, and even then those are only because you can't skip the cutscenes.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Also they're the worst games to nuzlocke except for maybe the gen 7 games, and even then those are only because you can't skip the cutscenes.
Excuse me, but Gen 5's level curve exists.

Seriously. I tried to nuzlocke Gen 5, but gave up before Lenora because grinding simply is not fun. Lenora. The second gym leader.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Grinding in gen 5 is only a problem before gym 1. Just use Audinos after that. There's no way it's worse than HGSS's grinding.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Audino grinding isn't that great, honestly. Yeah they're worth a shitload of EXP, but shaking grass takes too long to show up and there's the chance of it being some other Pokémon instead. Maybe I'm just impatient, but...I'm not a big fan of it. But at least it's something, unlike Johto where there's literally nowhere decent to grind.

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
I actually like Audino grinding lel

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
KlingKlang is cool, I think it is a good mon, I like using it sometimes, just in general

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Beartic is way better than it has any right to be. Mine is the sole reason I managed to beat Iris deathless in challenge mode W2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)