• NOTICE: Potential Site Downtime on December 7, 2020.

This is a preliminary notice that you may experience some downtime on December 7, 2020, due to some backend adjustments.

If you attempt to access the Nuzlocke Forums on or around this date, and receive any sort of failure to connect notice, please alert the Nuzlocke Forums Tech Team on Discord (@Tech Team role).

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Comic Alola Teen Mon Undertow - A Moon Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Updates on Fridays

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is the conversation that takes place during page 13

Riboo's Musings

So there might be something of a difference with this page from the ones proceeding it, and that's mostly because I drew it more recently than the rest of the comic. I felt the need to add a scene here to help the overall flow of the comic, its themes and to add a little intrigue to Kai as not much is dropped early on outside the pretty easy to spot facts such as: Hey, this guy is part of Team Skull :P

Looking back on the older pages of the comic, while there is a desire for me to redo them? I rather spend my time improving and making strides on current ones as I'm always experimenting with techniques to improve my backgrounds and overall page composition as I don't want just an interesting story but visuals that can help carry that out as well.

Also! I now have a Patreon for Undertow if anyone is interested in supporting the comic financially, this will allow for some advance viewings months in advance to my weekly uploads, but no worries if its not something you can comfortably do, as the comic will continue releasing a free page once a week, and there are other ways to support me such as commenting, sharing and the like (Which honestly, the good amount of engagement I'm getting on Undertow really FUELS me, NOM NOM NOM, so tasty!)

Ah, the perils of having a pet who hates sleep. And wants you to get up. NOW.
Obviously Fox is just running on the cat operating system XD

Hot damn Tapu Koko is the best Defense Attorney that side of Alola. Jail time taken off just b/c of its recommendation hot dang.
Just put that bad boy as a reference on your resume and you'd be makin' bank money in no time.

morning person meet not-morning person. Antics ensue.
RIP, this is my life to a T, NO one seems to want me to sleep around here >:V EVER >8l And now I operate at 6 hours or less of sleep a day. Hooray

Kukui is usually portrayed as so upbeat and jolly, it's fascinating to see him take this situation far more seriously. Also interesting that Tapu Koko wants Kai to take the trials again! It'll add a lot more meaning and interest as Kai journeys through the trials. It's such a unique set up, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes.
Also, Fox bugging Kai about his posture and waking up is just hilarious. I can tell these two are gonna play off of each other beautifully, and it's good that Kai has someone to keep his sleeping in habits in check.
Oh he's still his upbeat self, this is just one aspect of him I thought interesting to explore given in game he didn't really have a reason to be serious around the PC as they always went along with everything he said. However, I found it pretty interesting how dismissive he was of Team Skull in the Tea Garden scene, how he was confident in how quickly he could defeat them and didn't really straighten up until Guzma showed his face. There was some old history there, certainly, so I def think Team Skull is something of a sore spot for the guy.

I'm somehow both fox and kai when it comes to the posture thing. I sit so bad I'm probably giving myself scoliosis but when others sit with poor posture I remind them to straighten their back lol
And that last part is the biggest mood. I no longer have to wake up at 6 in the morning for work so that means its sleeping in until noon!
Ha! Me tbh, I just slouch to the point that my back ends up flat against the couch and my neck is pushed up in a way that'll certainly cause future me some problems XD

I used to sleep in until noon a lot some years ago, but I've kind of broken the habit, unless I'm just dead tired, but I still hate getting up anywhere before 8 in the morning. Just ain't human until later in the day I guess.

Ooh loving this so far. Kai seems like a fun protag.
*Wink wonks intensely* All in the plan >:D

kai u r my spirit animal even tho i am FORCED to rise early i wish not till noon
Man, with all those 24 hour shifts? I can't fuckin' blame ya there, I'd be a zombie too.

the luvdisc are my favorite part of this page
I love BG stuff, I just hope I can improve to the point that I can include more neat little details like that.

No one, nooooo one can tell me Page 13 doesn't have THIS exact energy to it. The sass levels are so high, we're reaching critical mass!
Fuckin' my mood lately about everything. Just me all

*Chills*
2020: *Exists*
Me: Fuckin' bitch.

"Who shot Ikaika?"
Hm, seems the Popplio has gunshot residue on their flipper.... but how could they have pulled the trigger????????

Well, you heard Tapu Koko, Kukui: You need to start wearing a shirt.
Even if it were the dead of winter, Kukui would still stan being shirtless as fuck, frozen man pecs and all.

I really like how you can consistently see people in the crowds wishing for koko to strike Kai down, and the tapu goes and gives him a friendship bracelet instead. Really I love this whole character dynamic Kai has with everyone, all knowing him and him knowing the traditions but still all that friction and conflict borne of a complicated past we haven't even seen yet. Such a good meal you've served here. Delicious. Also 7 is the best time to be awake and the seadog knows it.

Just yes. I'm glad the whole everyone knows everyone sort of feel is coming across here. When I was first working on my Nuzlocke, I def found something lacking when it came to having a protagonist that wasn't from the islands and thought that a different perspective certainly could help point out some of the inherent flaws in Alola's traditions and the like. Soooo, in comes Kai, one trouble making local.

:Vc also can't wait to share some BG stuff, you don't even know how hyped I am about it.

Hope you guys have a good weekend!!!!

Last edited:

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
I like your way of thinking!
But that was back then when making a single page take too much effort for me,,,so I just press forward
after-all your comic is just starting; there will be more chance for exposure and growth later

However if the change is very vital.. then I guess you should do it

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
The backgrounds on this page are gorgeous, I love the sky and the night time colors, thank you for this good food
I said this before but I really love your interpretations of Kukui and Hala! It's really cool to see them interact and get more of a read of their personalities + dynamic. I love how you can just feel the tension between them about the topic they're discussing, a great way of showing that Team Skull is a sore spot for them. (ngl all this Guzma hype has me excited for his appearance 👀 )

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Ohh the night background looks great! And I do think the addition of this page is nice. I'm curious to see what happened to Kai in the past if he was such a great kid before joining team skull.

feraligatr

Lizard Breath™
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Isn't clever enough to come up with a creative username, so just uses the name of favorite pokemon instead
ah your backgrounds are so pretty!!

it's probably best to just focus on improving with future pages and maybe stopping to flesh things out a bit more where you can, like what you did here. i know from personal experience that going back and redoing the first pages of a comic can end up just burning you out entirely (not saying that the same would happen to you of course, i just don't want you to be overworking yourself or anything haha)

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
CONSUME THE CHILD
THE SLOW ONE KNOW NOT LIFE OR DEATH
FEAST UPON HIS FLESH

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Oh, Kukui, baby... T-T Well, both Kai and (canon) Guzma are good bois under their hard shell, so I think he's on to something!

sociopathicotter

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
enjoys unnecessary anime references and stupid meta humor in webcomics
The last panel is gorgeous! The facial expressions are really crisp and defined, and I love the starry night background too :)

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
Oh man I was not expecting to become so enamored in just 3 pages, but I was hooked. Excited to see where this goes, man

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riboo's Musings

This is the conversation that takes place during page 13

And here's the second add on I drew for the comic, from here the art quality will probably feel like it took a step back XD But hey, if you found these last two pages nice, that's just some future comics to look forward to!

Also droppin' Kai background shit up in heeeeere! Lookit the babu. Also pretty damn proud of myself when it came to the perspective, the composition and all that shit on that mid panel there, really pumped to eventually share more about Kai going forward!

I like your way of thinking!
But that was back then when making a single page take too much effort for me,,,so I just press forward
after-all your comic is just starting; there will be more chance for exposure and growth later

However if the change is very vital.. then I guess you should do it
Figured it best to keep chuggin' forward, ain't gonna do me no good to keep retreadin' old ground, so all I do is some minor tweaks before I upload a page now, just to fix visual errors more than anything.

The backgrounds on this page are gorgeous, I love the sky and the night time colors, thank you for this good food
I said this before but I really love your interpretations of Kukui and Hala! It's really cool to see them interact and get more of a read of their personalities + dynamic. I love how you can just feel the tension between them about the topic they're discussing, a great way of showing that Team Skull is a sore spot for them. (ngl all this Guzma hype has me excited for his appearance 👀 )
Fuckin' you don't even know how hype I am for some more Team Skull shit, why it gotta be so late down the road??????? >:V AHHHHHHH!

Ohh the night background looks great! And I do think the addition of this page is nice. I'm curious to see what happened to Kai in the past if he was such a great kid before joining team skull.
Heh, *Wiggles brows intensely* Oh there'll be nuggets of past, so many nuggies that I'll be able to feed a small army >:D

ah your backgrounds are so pretty!!

it's probably best to just focus on improving with future pages and maybe stopping to flesh things out a bit more where you can, like what you did here. i know from personal experience that going back and redoing the first pages of a comic can end up just burning you out entirely (not saying that the same would happen to you of course, i just don't want you to be overworking yourself or anything haha)
Heh, I def don't wanna get into that redo loop, sometimes its better to be dissatisfied with your past stuff, cause you can look at your present and figure out how to best improve from there. I mean, you ain't gonna get no better if you don't fuck up a few times. Life man. XD

CONSUME THE CHILD
THE SLOW ONE KNOW NOT LIFE OR DEATH
FEAST UPON HIS FLESH
I think you'll find your wish fulfilled if you look very carefully ;3

Oh, Kukui, baby... T-T Well, both Kai and (canon) Guzma are good bois under their hard shell, so I think he's on to something!
Hard candy coatin', squishy chewy center - w-

The last panel is gorgeous! The facial expressions are really crisp and defined, and I love the starry night background too :)
Thanks, I'm way into wanting to keep steppin' up my art game, so I hope it continues to pay off, course after this page it'll be back to older stuff, but hey ;3

Oh man I was not expecting to become so enamored in just 3 pages, but I was hooked. Excited to see where this goes, man
*Rubs hands together* yis, yis, goooood, you in my trap now >:D

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man.

Please don't show us Babu Kai getting wiped except you totally should for more sympathy points

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Oh no... what happened to baby Kai's raichu and incineroar?

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Oh my gosh, baby Kai!!! Certainly didn't expect to see that, and already with just a tiny glimpse I'm so intrigued about Kai's backstory. Why did Tapu Fini reject him, and was that why he ended up in Team Skull? What happened to his Incineroar and Raichu? I'm so excited to see more! (Plus, that perspective on that middel panel is amazing, with Tapu Fini looking down at Kai both literally and figuratively)

Also.....

ShiroInu

Unreliable Artist
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Oooh, the deep lore.

feraligatr

Lizard Breath™
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Isn't clever enough to come up with a creative username, so just uses the name of favorite pokemon instead
Ough a little baby boy..
Also i love how you draw pokemon. Raichu and inceneroar looking cute as hell!

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
Gosh what on earth happened with Tapu Fini!!!!???

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
What... What happened to the two good babies Kai had? Where did the good babies go?

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
feed the child the flesh of the fallen
the circle of life

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Is that??? Baby Kai???

Well, one thing is clear. Tapu Fini is...

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
On the one hand, I'm really digging this Incineroar design and how it fixes the wonky proportions Mancat has in game.

On the other hand, neither of those mons being there anymore means...something happened here. Sure remember Hapu being at those same ruins ingame and it going well, so that sure feels like some big, fat REEEEEE UNWORTHY by one fey guardian, huh? Going back to the speculation station now~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)