• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Alola Teen Mon Undertow - A Moon Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Updates Bimonthly

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Eyyy, Kai knows Gladion! Makes sense but I didn't think of it until now. Also Kai and Hau being friends gives me LIFE

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
Gladion looks big baby mad xD

But that's a really cool way to train zubat! I love when artists/writers show more creative training instead of just FIGHT

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
THE SEX NUMBER

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Oh man I hadn't caught up with this comic since it was on the boat from babytown to Akala, and reading through all that good content all at once was a great treat! I'm loving the Akala vibes so far, between Olivia being an old fellow trialgoer to someone who grew up into a different person from before, to the sweet little zubat who i'm so happy is on Kai's shoulder all the time, to the giant floofer dog rodeo, and now to everyone's favorite emo kid Gladeon, who Kai obviously already knows of because they're both skullboys. I can't wait to see what their relationship is like. Thank you for this good food!

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
I'm just waiting for the inevitable reference to Wolverine's Cameo in X-Men: First Class

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Do not throw leaves at your heart bat, Gladion! D:<

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
deu2rmq-753b73e7-d523-4432-a947-ce1570291e84.png

Right now my Patreon is on hiatus, new patreons will not be charged until the beginning of 2022

Commission sheet ll Patreon

ll Ko-fi ll Tapas

Riboo's Musing

Always felt that Gladion was more of an overachiever type of person, something that his mother might have had some influence on in an indirect manner. Given Gladion is shown on his own in game, he would only have himself to rely on, so he would have to push himself harder than anyone else out there as he doesn't really have a support system (at least one that he's not reaching out to) in game, so I can see where his severity can come from.

Meanwhile, Hau, being a more sensitive kid in some aspects, has grown up in a home that is, perhaps to a degree, overly sheltered? I only get this from the fact that in game dialog points to Hala having a severe side that he tries not to show Hau as it upsets him, so I get the feeling that Hau is likely coddled to some extent, but is aware of the pressures of being a Kahuna's grandson by outside sources, given Hala and the rest of Hau's family can't protect him from everyone.

Something like this I find interesting to explore and think SUMO did that fairly well in its presented themes from Hau, to Gladion and Lillie's family to the found family that is Team Skull. There's certainly a heavy emphasis on what this environment has produced and there's a wide variety of facets represented in game. Which, I think Lillie and Gladion were a good inclusion as outsiders to the traditions and culture of Alola, which gives a different perspective when it comes to home life.

Consider this: bottom trim on hoods is very good.

Thanks! I def was like: naked... not naked -w- the world is safe now

GLAD BOI IS HEREEEE. I wonder what kind of relationship Kai has with the edgy boy

;3 yes, he is, we shall seeeee

Eyyy, Kai knows Gladion! Makes sense but I didn't think of it until now. Also Kai and Hau being friends gives me LIFE

Really wanted that big bro energy to show here, Hau could have used some more sibling style friendships I feel

Gladion looks big baby mad xD

But that's a really cool way to train zubat! I love when artists/writers show more creative training instead of just FIGHT

Big baby mad is all he knows until he's an adult that can be big baby face mad, he grows a beard to spite everyone saying that

THE SEX NUMBER

Obligatory comment about page number is achieved

Oh man I hadn't caught up with this comic since it was on the boat from babytown to Akala, and reading through all that good content all at once was a great treat! I'm loving the Akala vibes so far, between Olivia being an old fellow trialgoer to someone who grew up into a different person from before, to the sweet little zubat who i'm so happy is on Kai's shoulder all the time, to the giant floofer dog rodeo, and now to everyone's favorite emo kid Gladeon, who Kai obviously already knows of because they're both skullboys. I can't wait to see what their relationship is like. Thank you for this good food!

Thanks! Glad you caught up, hoping that it ends up a satisfying adventure, def a lot of heavy emphasis on the trials and the people themselves this isle.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable reference to Wolverine's Cameo in X-Men: First Class

It took me a while to get this then I was like: yeah, sounds like gladion

Do not throw leaves at your heart bat, Gladion! D:<

Its a total valid training method- OH SHIT PAPER CUTS THOUGH

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
I totally get the contrast in upbringing between Hau and Gladion--like, Hau's been enabled and encouraged to accept mistakes and learn from them and just be happy, and Gladion... hasn't.

But also, "take it up with the complaints department" has me HOWLING

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Kai as 'take it up with the complaints department' is very, very Kai. Why do I have the feeling that Gladion is about to be introduced to Kai's fist at high velocity?

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Yeah, Gladion, and the Hau Complaints Department is only open at nine in the afternoon. 😤

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Oh I love your musings on Gladion and Hau and how their backgrounds influence them. I def got many of the same vibes from Gladion between his mom being who she is and the situation he's in; but I didnt think as much on Hau and its interesting to think about!

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
PROTECTIVE UNCLE KAI TAKES NO SHIT

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
NO LONGER THE SEX NUMBER

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
That Kai calls Gladion "Glad" is so great as a nickname. Just look at this kid. Least glad person around. Constant frowns, infinite dissatisfaction. Unfitting nickname juxtaposition is always funny to me.

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
deuv2l9-d3f7a6d7-8bed-4494-bbb5-aa0cc93f2d1c.png

Right now my Patreon is on hiatus, new patreons will not be charged until the beginning of 2022

Commission sheet ll Patreon

ll Ko-fi ll Tapas
Riboo's Musings

Throughout the scripting process, I never really thought about just how Kai is pretty observant of things around him, which in SUMO you can kind of take for granted given your PC just kind of goes with everything. As I started to work on the comic I started to notice this trait XD (Ironic I didn't notice his observance skills) in how he tends to pick up on non-verbal stuff and tends to either try to diffuse or antagonize a situation depending on where the context of the situation falls on Kai's morality scale :P Which we know isn't.... SUPER lawful or nothin' but hey

I totally get the contrast in upbringing between Hau and Gladion--like, Hau's been enabled and encouraged to accept mistakes and learn from them and just be happy, and Gladion... hasn't.

But also, "take it up with the complaints department" has me HOWLING
Def a situation where environment is a big factor to how the characters are in their present day lives, the kids are still malleable, but there's already evidence of what they might be like as they get older sprinkled in
Kai as 'take it up with the complaints department' is very, very Kai. Why do I have the feeling that Gladion is about to be introduced to Kai's fist at high velocity?
HEH, well I'd hope Kai, an adult, wouldn't actually hit Gladion, a child
Yeah, Gladion, and the Hau Complaints Department is only open at nine in the afternoon. 😤
Ew, bad deal 9-5 at least lets ya have a clear afternoon :P
Oh I love your musings on Gladion and Hau and how their backgrounds influence them. I def got many of the same vibes from Gladion between his mom being who she is and the situation he's in; but I didnt think as much on Hau and its interesting to think about!
Thanks! I'm hoping to expound on this more as the comic moves forward
PROTECTIVE UNCLE KAI TAKES NO SHIT
>:0 you step you better respect
NO LONGER THE SEX NUMBER
Ha
That Kai calls Gladion "Glad" is so great as a nickname. Just look at this kid. Least glad person around. Constant frowns, infinite dissatisfaction. Unfitting nickname juxtaposition is always funny to me.
HEH, irony is fun

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
HEH, well I'd hope Kai, an adult, wouldn't actually hit Gladion, a child
Yeah, fair enough. But beating him in a Pokemon battle is fair game.

Heh, Zubat screaming at Zubat. Unsurprisingly, it's super effective.

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
It's not supersonic, it's not screech, it's just actual screaming, and it works marvelously.

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Honestly if I was that Zubat I would go down right then and there if only cause who wants to fight someone screaming at you like that?

Sterling-Starlight

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Addicted to carbonated beverages and chocolate. Can, and will, talk forever about her interests if she finds someone who will listen
Hakkan is best Zubat. It's probably been said a million times before, but it bares repeating.
I don't know if Gladion's face is confused, disappointed or both, but this definitely isn't how he planned on the battle going.

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
how to win a fight
step 1: rupture eardrums

Users who are viewing this thread