• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Ten of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This is our final episode for the regular season. As such, this rotation of storylockes is wrapping up. We’ll hear from our authors about these! In October, our final episode will air, covering off Gracidea. Lastly, among all these big changes, Rainey and the team dig into worldbuilding!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Alola General Commentary Ultra Moon wedlocke, because I hate myself (REMASTERED) (9/21/20 - Part 12 - onto Ula'ula Island!)

Thread Description
A no-heal wedlocke of Ultra Moon that goes as well as you'd expect

pikasphere

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019

...hello there. Some of you might remember this from the old forums back in 2018. Some of you might remember how I kinda completely disappeared and left the run at a pretty agonizing spot.

Yeah.

So, what happened? Did I lose the run? Did my computer die? Or worse, did I die?

Yes, I was the final victim of the wedlocke all along!

But for real, don't worry, nothing serious happened. I'll start by apologizing to anyone who followed the run on the old forums and never got the conclusion. I definitely should have communicated something, but regardless, what happened was that 2019 ended up being one mega fuck of a year for me. I won't go into detail, but basically a lot of things happened with regards to work, school, and personal matters, and as the weeks and months went by, I fell into quite a vicious cycle: since so much time had elapsed, I kept losing motivation, and since I kept losing motivation, more time kept passing. This went on, and slowly but surely this fell by the wayside.

So, I guess in short, I just have shit time management/commitment skills.

But, here am I again almost 2 years later, and this time I will finish it! I guess it was a combination of quarantine and renewed interest in pokemon recently that brought me back, so I'm looking forward to finally revisiting this.

With all that said, now it's time for the logistics. The biggest obstacle to reviving this is pretty much time: what the hell even happened during this run? Yeah, don't worry, even I don't remember everything, so I think a refresh is definitely in order, and what better way to do that than to simply start from the beginning? Well, kind of.

For however long it takes, I will proceed to port the entire run over here, remastered and refurbished for the new forums, until we finally reach where we left off. Since this run spanned multiple forum changes, I'll do my best to fix up any fucky formatting, so I imagine that'll be the main source of overhead.

For the most part, I will leave the text unmodified barring minor corrections if I find them. And don't worry, I do still have my pictures and notes from back then, so I won't be lacking in that department once we get to the new stuff.

And last but not least, to address another elephant in the room, how did the run end? Well, I will confirm that the run has indeed reached its conclusion. However, whether I won or lost, you'll have to find out :)

TL;DR for note: This was an old run I never finished documenting on the old forum. The run itself has been finished for a while, but since it's been so long I will post each part again until we reach where we left off. Enjoy!

If interested, the original run is here. Warning: Tapatalk is 🤢

Welcome, everyone. Welcome to my wedlocke of what I think is the hardest mainline Pokemon game in the series. That's right, I really do think this game is harder than Platinum, at least if you forego all the OP stuff like I am. And yet here I am doing a wedlocke of it like a jackass-- but it's okay, because me and failure are old friends who go way back.

With that said, this Wedlocke will have some modified rules, most notably allowing various gender pairings. Have a look at the rules for full details, and enjoy.

Main
1. Fainted = dead
2. One catch per area
3. Nickname theme = music genres/styles. I'm using this list primarily.
4. No healing items, X items, or Rotom items in battle.
5. Battle style is SWITCH.
6. Exp Share is OFF.
7. Max Pokemon Refresh level is 2; this gives boosted experience and nothing else.

Wedlocke
1. Pokemon will pair with another and can only switch with each other in battle. (in depth rules here)
2. Pokemon have gender preferences. Their preference is the gender of their first partner. Once a preference is given, that pokemon can only pair up according to that preference.
3. Genderless pokemon can pair with anyone and anyone can pair with genderless pokemon.
4. If a pokemon's first partner is genderless, then that pokemon's preference is any gender.

Encounters
1. Dupes clause: I ignore pokemon of the same evolutionary line if I've encountered them already.
2. Gift clause: Pokemon received from NPCs do not count for that area's encounter.
3. Shiny clause: Shiny pokemon are free.
3a. Only one shiny Pokemon from Ultra Space is allowed due to their relatively high encounter rate.
4. Pinwheel clause: Distinct subareas of an area count as their own. Will be specified during the run.
5. Static encounters are allowed and count as that area's catch.
6. I am allowed to trade pokemon with NPCs, but only if I have the required pokemon as a legitimate encounter.
7. I can choose only ONE of Samson Oak's totem-sized pokemon. Dupes clause applies.
8. Any Pokemon in an SOS chain can be caught.

Miscellaneous
1. The run ends after defeating Hau in the Pokemon League.
2. There is a soft level limit: I can be overleveled, but it must be reasonable.
3. Lactose Intolerant Clause: I cannot cheese the Ultra Necrozma battle, which includes, but is not limited to, Toxic stalling, Zoroark shenanigans, and Focus Sash + Endeavor.

Part 1: Elite Four and Champion

Already I'm mashing A to get through the beginning, but thankfully USUM trims some of the fat off the beginning and lets you choose your starter much, much earlier. Nice.

I've used Rowlet and Litten before, so naturally...

K-pop the Popplio joins the party!

Encounter Location: Starter (gift)

Nature: Bold (Def+, Atk-)

Ability: Torrent

Name Origin: The Popplio line is bubbly and upbeat, and though I don't listen to k-pop myself, I certainly know of the song "Bubble Pop". With Popplio's bubble and singing motif plus the "pop" pun, it's perfect.

General Thoughts: In terms of viability, I think Primarina is the best out of the three, so I'm excited to see what he'll do! Bold nature is also pretty beneficial, so I hope he sticks around.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/an/a

That's right, I count the starter of any pokemon game as a gift, this game being no exception.

Now, it's time to find K-pop a partner. I will abuse Pinwheel Clause by counting Route 1 as three encounters. The three subareas of Route 1 are as follows: Route 1 proper, Hau'oli Outskirts, and Trainers' School.

The Grubbin encounter is scripted, so I will not count that.

What a ripe selection of mons. What'll it be, the fast and reliable Buneary, or maybe a Pichu so I can 1-up Hau? Or perhaps it will be a Grubbin after all, which I can actually evolve to a Vikavolt reasonably this time? Oh boy, this is exciting, our first catch is!...

Buzz buzz

Oh.

Polka the Ledyba joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 1

Nature: Hasty (Spe+, Def-)

Ability: Early Bird

Name Origin: Polka dots + polka music pun. And I guess Weird Al's polka medleys come to mind, which is fitting for how much of a joke Ledian is.

General Thoughts: Look, I love Ledyba and Ledian as pokemon, believe you me. Ledyba is ridiculously cute and Ledian is super cool, but good lord are they ass in battle. I don't expect Polka to live very long, but with access to dual screens early on I think she'd be alright for the early game.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/an/a

New pair: K-pop the Popplio & Polka the Ledyba

In our very first pairing ever, we have K-pop the Popplio with Polka the Ledyba! In accordance with my modified Wedlocke rules, K-pop and Polka will now have gender preferences. Since his first partner is female, K-pop will now only pair with females (or genderless), and since her first partner is male, Polka will now only pair with males (or genderless).

Anyway, now it's time to grind Polka up to a usable level. Sigh.

Y'know, she might get completely wrecked by the stare of a Pikipek, but she can take down a mean level 2 Caterpie in just 5 hours. She tries her best, mkay?

With Hau's defeat, we now get an encounter at Hau'oli Outskirts. It's really just Wingull, Slowpoke, or Inkay, any of which are fine by me.

Waltz the Slowpoke joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 1 - Hau'oli Outskirts

Nature: Naive (Spe+/SpD-)

Ability: Own Tempo

Name Origin: The waltz itself can be a pretty slow ballroom dance, but I mainly chose this name because of Sebastian Debeste's theme from Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2. The character Sebastian is a bit of a ding dong, especially when this music played, but like Slowpoke he's lovable all the same (at least for me).

General Thoughts: Bulk is crucial in a no-heal wedlocke, so I'm pretty happy about this. Still, the nature is a shame, and it's a shame Slowpoke are so hard to evolve and are geared towards physical attack for some reason, but what can you do.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

And right after that, we get our Trainers' School encounter. Now this one is actually hype, as we can get some seriously cool things. I just hope it's not Alolan Meowth.

And just as a reminder, with my wedlocke rules, Magnemite IS allowed, so we've got a 3/4 chance of something great!

Indeed, Trainers' School did not disappoint! I've never used a Zorua in any game before, so I'm excited. But, holy shit, we're actually in danger just trying to catch it! It has STAB Pursuit, so I can't just switch to K-pop. I also don't want to lose this encounter by running away.

Should I risk Polka's life by throwing the pokeball now?

Of course I will! And by the way, we caught it, whew.

Kabuki the Zorua joins the party!

Encounter Location: Trainers' School

Nature: Lonely (Atk+/Def-)

Ability: Illusion

Name Origin: According to Bulbapedia, Zoroark's face markings are based off Japanese Kabuki theater makeup. Kabuki seems to count as a musical style in the Wikipedia list too, so why not? It's a neat sounding name.

General Thoughts: This is looking WAAAAAAAAAY ahead, but how cool would it be to keep Kabuki alive in time for Ultra Necrozma? We would need to get a Psychic-weak pokemon in the meantime, but that probably won't be a problem by then. Anyway, Kabuki's Illusion apparently fools the AI, so I'm looking forward to those shenanigans.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

New pair: Waltz the Slowpoke & Kabuki the Zorua

Interesting matchup: we have a slow tank and a glass cannon. And again, with my wedlocke rules, gender preferences are determined by a pokemon's first partner, so in this case Waltz and Kabuki will both prefer males/genderless.

Alright, now that we have a team going, we just need to train up a bit and then we're ready to tackle the "Elite Four" of the school! Yep, that's the reason for this part's title. Lame? Yes.

...and this is the part where things go downhill. Already. Take a look:

I figured I could get Waltz and Kabuki some nice experience, so I decided to battle Rising Star Joseph with them. Big mistake.

Waltz is bound by Wrap and this Ekans has Bite. Is there anything I can do? No healing items, no switching, no hard hitting moves. No hope.

Death by asphyxiation. What a way to go.

Waltz, I hardly knew ye.

Death #1: Waltz the Slowpoke

Cause of Death: Wrapped and bitten to death by Rising Star Joseph's Ekans at Trainers' School

Level 4 - 9

Part 1 - Part 1

Parting Words:
It's been fun, all 10 minutes of it. But seriously, damn I wish I knew about the Ekans ahead of time. It's not against my rules to look up trainers' pokemon, but I usually don't. You had potential, Waltz. RIP.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

It's not over yet, though. We must now face the "Champion" herself: Teacher Emily with her Rowlet.

Major Trainer Battle: Teacher Emily

Team Checkup

Strategy
Why is Grass/Flying coverage actually so deadly right now?!
K-pop and
Polka are my only pair, but wouldn't you know it she has the perfect answer for both of them! (Note: I know now that her Rowlet doesn't have any Flying moves, but at the time I didn't. And besides, Polka wouldn't have done much damage anyway.)

Therefore, as scary as it is, I think I will have to solo her with
Kabuki. Oh god. Hopefully STAB Pursuit with an Atk+ nature will do us good.

Begin Battle

K-pop, er, Kabuki's strongest move is Pursuit, so that's what we're doing. It's all we can do.

This is how much Leafage does to Kabuki, and this is how much Pursuit does to Rowlet. So that's what, about 25% on Rowlet? And he does 12 damage to us.

Not good. Not good at all.

As long as Rowlet doesn't crit, Kabuki should be able to take 2 more Leafages due to the Oran Berry.

Now here we are after another Leafage. Kabuki has eaten his Oran Berry and is now at 17 hp.

I don't have a good feeling about this. Here's the thing: if I Pursuit again, Rowlet will go down to 25% health, and do you know what means? Overgrow. 12 damage from Leafage times 1.5 will be 18, so Kabuki will die if I Pursuit. Even a crit won't be enough, as it does 25% normally and 37% with a crit, which is not enough against Rowlet's ~50% health.

So what are my options? I can only see one route where Kabuki survives this battle, and it's quite unlikely:

1. Use Leer.
2. Survive the next Leafage.
3. Crit with Pursuit.

That's it. There is no other route. Oh Kabuki, can you pull this off?

Aggghh, it didn't work, no crit. It was a long shot.

Death #2: Kabuki the Zorua

Cause of Death: Leafage by Teacher Emily's Rowlet at Trainers' School

Level 6 - 10

Part 1 - Part 1

Parting Words:
I was so happy to see you as my encounter, but now I'll never know what it's like to wield the power of Illusion. It was a valiant effort against Rowlet, but it was just too much to solo. Rest in peace.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/an/a

Y-yeah, wedlockes, am I right?

K-pop,
Polka, protect each other and everything will be okay, I promise.

...well, it's more like K-pop, please protect Polka. Polka, you can just sit there and be adorable. Not a problem at all, n-nope.

END Part 1

Last edited:

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
YOU'RE BAAAAAACK! 😭

I've been following since the Tapatalk days so I'm ecstatic to see this run again! I'll need a refresher on it too (but I remember there being a TON of deaths) so I'll reread everything as you post again! I await to see your fate in the finale... once we get there.

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
YOU'RE BAAAAAACK! 😭

I've been following since the Tapatalk days so I'm ecstatic to see this run again! I'll need a refresher on it too (but I remember there being a TON of deaths) so I'll reread everything as you post again! I await to see your fate in the finale... once we get there.
Haha, thanks! It's good to see names I recognize even after all this time. And yes, the deaths were absolutely gnarly. It's very interesting to reread this myself and have it all come back to me!

Nickname key: Male Female Genderless

LocationPokemonStatusJoinedDiedAbilityNaturePartner
StarterK-pop (Popplio)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)💚 ActivePart 1--Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Route 1 - Hau'oli OutskirtsWaltz (Slowpoke)🖤 DeadPart 1Part 1Own TempoNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Kabuki
Trainers' SchoolKabuki (Zorua)🖤 DeadPart 1Part 1IllusionLonely (Atk+/Def-)Waltz

Death #PokemonLocationJoinedDiedLevelsCause of Death
1Waltz (Slowpoke)Trainers' School (Route 1)Part 1Part 14-9Wrapped and bitten to death by Rising Star Joseph's Ekans
2Kabuki (Zorua)Trainers' School (Route 1)Part 1Part 16-10Leafage by Teacher Emily's Rowlet

Part 2: Power in Numbers

Here we are at Alola's marvelous Hau'oli City. After some more cutscenes and button mashing, we are let loose onto a beautiful sight:

Encounters, encounters out the wazoo! Greener pastures, cleaner captures. Alolan Meowth continues to stink up the encounter pool, but other than that we're in for a treat.

Carolina the Wingull joins the party!

Encounter Location: Hau'oli City

Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SpA-)

Ability: Keen Eye

Name Origin: Looking for something beach-themed, I learned that apparently, beach music is also known as "Carolina beach music", and Carolina being a nice name, I decided why not?

General Thoughts: Drizzle Pelipper is an absolute monster when used right. Sadly, this will not be Carolina. Not only does she have Adamant nature, but she has Keen Eye, which means no Drizzle. Sigh, well, welcome anyway, we need anything we can take.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Without Exp Share, grinding proves to be quite the menace, but everyone pulls their weight:
K-pop and
Polka together and
Carolina all on her own. Despite my misgivings, Carolina turns out to be a solid pokemon by virtue of her excellent speed and decent damage output.

Sadly, during training we experience a devastating loss. My remaining Oran Berries got devoured by my pokemon when grinding. You see, I forgot to unequip them after Teacher Emily, and I was also watching TV to stave off the tedium so I didn't realize until it was too late.

The short term consequence of this is that, unfortunately, we have to fight Ilima without any berries. All according to keikaku.

Major Trainer Battle: Ilima

Team Checkup

Strategy

Ilima's team hasn't changed much from Sun & Moon, but nothing needed to be changed. Although his Smeargle attracts the most notoriety, his Yungoos honestly scares me equally as much. Without the use of healing items, the damage output will rack up dangerously fast against us.

Okay, so this will be a job for
K-pop and
Polka. The latter will actually play a valuable role, namely in setting up Reflect and firing off Silk Scarf boosted Swifts, which actually pack quite a punch. However, I'm not sure when, or if, I'd be able to switch K-pop in safely. Every hit point is important for him.

Carolina, here's a Pretty Wing: your secret weapon. If it really comes down to it, use that to declare an emergency offering of peace.

Strategy

Reflect is crucial, so we set it up immediately.

After exchanging blows and looking on in horror as Ilima scums his way with a Potion, we're at a point where Polka is a buzz away from death.

You might be alarmed at the fact that not once did I switch K-pop in. Perhaps I could have, but the fear is too real:

1. Yungoos might go for a surprise Pursuit

2. Yungoos will probably Leer K-pop

3. God knows how much Smeargle's Leafages will do, Leered or not.

I'm sorry Polka, but if K-pop gets in trouble after the switch, there's not much you can do.

Death #3: Polka the Ledyba

Cause of Death: Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos

Level 3 - 13

Part 1 - Part 2

Parting Words:
I mean, Polka was a Ledyba. In terms of the welfare of this run, her death is a mercy. However, to be honest, I grew a bit attached to her. It hurt to see her fall, even though I know she doesn't have much to offer. Farewell.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Polka did what I wanted her to: softening up Yungoos so K-pop can 1v1 Smeargle safely at full health.

Fortunately, there is still some Reflect left. This is a godsend-- Smeargle has Technician and probably full attack investment, so we need as much defense as possible.

Polka, it turns out you might save your partner's life yet.

Leafage does 5 damage, meaning 10 damage normally. We got this!

Victory.

Listen, if I can soar the skies on a dead Pidgey, there should be no excuse.

So after that ordeal, our party consists of two lone wolves: K-pop and Carolina. However, because their genders are compatible, they become our next pair!

New pair: K-pop the Popplio & Carolina the Wingull

Good things are in store for us after the Ilima battle: the Tauros plot barrier is lifted, and we find ourselves on Route 2, where there's an abundance of potential catches. Prepare for an onslaught of newcomers.

Rhapsody the Ekans joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 2

Nature: Docile (neutral)

Ability: Intimidate

Name Origin: A pun on "wrap", and a more interesting name than simply "Rap".

General Thoughts: Not a pokemon I'd typically use, but Rhapsody looks like he'll bring some valuable tools to the table, namely Intimidate and Glare. A nice, solid snake companion.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Boogaloo the Gastly joins the party!

Encounter Location: Hau'oli Cemetery

Nature: Calm (SpD+/Atk-)

Ability: Levitate

Name Origin: A pun on "boo".

General Thoughts: Nice, that's what I like to see! However, glass cannons in a wedlocke are much different than those in a regular nuzlocke, so it remains to be seen how useful Boogaloo will be in such an environment. Still, it's exciting to have a potential powerhouse on the team!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

New pair: Rhapsody the Ekans and Boogaloo the Gastly

Grime the Zubat joins the party!

Encounter Location: Sandy Cave

Ability: Inner Focus

Name Origin: I was thinking of something to describe a dark and dank cave, and the UK electronic music style known as "grime" appealed to me as a name for her. Yeah I know, this name fits Grimer better, so try not to get confused.

General Thoughts: Say what you will, but this evolution family has done nothing but good for me, so I'm excited to see her hopefully become a Crobat and wreck house one day. That said, at the moment, this thing is TRASH. Not only is Grime a lone wolf, but she only has Astonish and Absorb. How do I even train her 🤔

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

Whew, that's a lot of newcomers, and then there'll be even more when Route 3 opens. Is it just me, or does every Pokemon game have that point near the beginning where your team size just explodes? Well, I ain't complaining, power in numbers after all.

Alright, now in order to take down Ilima's trial, we're gonna need to train everyone up.

Looks like I have a long, arduous grinding session ahead of me...

...but not unless I activate my famous HYPERSPEED GRINDING TRICK!

Thanks to the power of the written log, you don't have to watch any boring grinding sessions! Everyone's leveled up and ready to roll.

To keep these parts reasonable, though, the trial itself will be shown in the next part, so yeah there's gonna be a wait anyway. But the trial's all done, so stay tuned!

END Part 2

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Everyone's already dropping like flies, and looks like you're almost at a full team!

sealclown

certified gamer moments
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Bug, ???
i haven't read the original thread, but i'm really liking this so far! (and thinking of sebastian debeste having a slowpoke is a wonderful mental image, thank you)

wedlockes are difficult on their own, let alone with a no heal rule- and there's already been some really tough fights and tragic losses :'D ledyba arent GOOD, but the little guys really do grow on you in my experience. i'm looking foward catching up, and especially seeing how the new poison couple does!

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Everyone's already dropping like flies, and looks like you're almost at a full team!
Haha yep, the start of these games are basically sink or swim on steroids. You could easily wipe at many of these early battles.

i haven't read the original thread, but i'm really liking this so far! (and thinking of sebastian debeste having a slowpoke is a wonderful mental image, thank you)

wedlockes are difficult on their own, let alone with a no heal rule- and there's already been some really tough fights and tragic losses :'D ledyba arent GOOD, but the little guys really do grow on you in my experience. i'm looking foward catching up, and especially seeing how the new poison couple does!
Glad you like it! Indeed, the rules here were absolutely brutal and the games themselves are, as I said in the intro, probably the hardest to nuzlocke. And yeah, I really love Ledyba's design, but I guess not every pokemon has to be good (which is fine imo).

StarterK-pop (Popplio)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)🖤 DeadPart 1Part 2Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Route 1 - Hau'oli OutskirtsWaltz (Slowpoke)🖤 DeadPart 1Part 1Own TempoNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Kabuki
Hau'oli CityCarolina (Wingull)💚 ActivePart 2--Keen EyeAdamant (Atk+/SpA-)K-pop
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)💚 ActivePart 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)💚 ActivePart 2--LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)💚 ActivePart 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)(lone wolf)

1Waltz (Slowpoke)Trainers' School (Route 1)Part 1Part 14-9Wrapped and bitten to death by Rising Star Joseph's Ekans
2Kabuki (Zorua)Trainers' School (Route 1)Part 1Part 16-10Leafage by Teacher Emily's Rowlet
3Polka (Ledyba)Hau'oli CityPart 1Part 23-13Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos; sacrifice for safe switch-in for partner K-pop

Part 3: Rat Pack

Let's get right into it: the first trial of the run!

Sadly, nobody can learn Brick Break, so it looks like we will need to actually fight the totem.

Totem Battle: Alolan Raticate

Team Checkup

Strategy

Boogaloo and
Rhapsody are a big no-no, and
Grime is not strong enough to solo.

Thus, we're left with no choice but
K-pop and
Carolina. K-pop isn't yet a Fairy, so Disarming Voice might not be good enough alone and Raticate's Bite will tear right into him.

I want to conserve K-pop's HP the most (sorry Carolina), so I will lead with Carolina. Surprisingly, there might be a use for Mist to prevent Tail Whip shittery, but other than that, she'll just have to wing it.

Because of the state of my party and how nobody resists Normal or Dark, I might have to pull a Polka with Carolina. I'm sorry, I know it might be taboo to talk like that in a nuzlocke, but it's true: she needs to do as much as she can to lessen the impact for K-pop, even if it means her life.

Begin Battle

I decide to Growl immediately. Totem Raticate's Bite is too terrifying to let fly unmitigated.

It goes for Scary Face on the first turn, which is actually bad because Carolina's speed gives her the upper hand.

The Alolan Rattata ally is summoned, and I know it has Tail Whip. Therefore, I'm gonna make a play that I hope will help: I'm gonna use Mist to prevent defense drops.

Because of the Scary Face, Carolina is outsped by both, which is incredibly bad because HOLY SHIT SUPER FANG. And then Pursuit by the Rattata. Oh god.

After taking both of these hits, Carolina uses up her Oran Berry and is now at 20/39 hp.

And then she uses Mist, which I now acknowledge was a terrible play on my part. Fuck.

Now it's time to do damage, but I fear it's too late, way too late. Carolina, can you do it?

No, I didn't think so. Why did I go for Mist.

Death #4: Carolina the Wingull

Cause of Death: Bite from Totem Alolan Raticate and Tackle from Alolan Rattata

Level 9 - 14

Part 2 - Part 3

Parting Words:
Forgive me for that trash play. I promise you, your sacrifice wasn't in vain. Like others before you, I'm sorry you couldn't stay with us for long, but it's been fun using your speed and STAB combo along the way.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

K-pop, you're up. Disarming Voice hits both targets, but I'm not sure what to think of that. The 25% damage reduction might end up hurting us.

Not a good place to be in, staring down a giant roided rat and his goon. K-pop, be careful, I know you can do this!

SWEET JESUS HALLELUJAH it's a Hustle Rattata that misses its Quick Attack!

BUT THEN RATICATE FLINCHES K-POP. Oh god, is this gonna be a thing?!

Maybe not?! We dodge the next Rattata attack...

and finally, we land a Disarming Voice!

...and that's it?! Oh no.

Alright, alright, gotta slow down.

So then, we're actually in a bit of a sticky situation here.

"What's the big deal," you might ask. "Why not just keep spamming Disarming Voice?"

Here's the problem: Hustle Alolan Rattata is strong. However, how strong it is is currently unknown, because we've been lucky and dodged all two of its attacks. That luck can't hold forever, however; Rattata will likely hit its next attack, and combined with Raticate's attack, K-pop will be in a world of pain.

By going for Disarming Voice, K-pop has to stomach two hits, which in all likelihood he can, but remember that Alolan Raticate just recently flinched us. Is it going to happen again? This is a wedlocke, and by applying general nuzlocke logic, yes, it will flinch us.

Thus, we need to exterminate the little rat as soon as possible with Aqua Jet. The less damage output by the opposition, the better.

Now, the question is, will Aqua Jet kill? 🤔 ... yeah, I'm sure it will.

The play is to Aqua Jet the Rattata, so go for it K-pop!

Good. Now, we just need a little luck on our side.

Raticate takes another Bite...

...we eat the Oran Berry...

...and, yeah, figures.

But I won't edge you guys anymore. We eventually break through, and it's GG!

Got em. K-pop, you are a beast!

Boy... although we got through that fairly alright, I wonder how K-pop's holding up. He's experienced the tragedy of losing a lover not once, but twice, first with
Polka and then with
Carolina. Unfort, but I guess it's on me too, as I'm starting to fall into the depths of hindsight regret. But what's happened has happened, and all I can do is try to play better.

In brighter news,
Grime is female, so K-pop, here you go:

New pair: K-pop the Popplio and Grime the Zubat

I guess you have a thing for Flying types, huh.

Finally, with the trial done, we receive Normalium Z and the invaluable Breakneck Blitz, aw yeah. And who better to abuse this power than our next encounter:

Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata joins the party!

Encounter Location: Verdant Cavern

Ability: Gluttony

Name Origin: Twirly mustache, dark and dastardly disposition... I just had to. And it's a music style too, so yeah.

General Thoughts: A shame we won't be able to abuse any Hustle-boosted breaknecks, but with an attack boosting nature and solid offense at this point, I say welcome to the team!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

True, we did just lose a pokemon to Vaudeville's distant cousins, but it's time to make peace, not war. Vaudeville is a good rat, and she will break your neck before you even dare break your bricks on her. That was fucking awful.

END Part 3

Last edited:

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
First totem down! That's quite a hair-raising battle. K-Pop now has his third partner in this tragic love story... Poor guy.

Twi

important wizard
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Any! (but mainly they/them and he/him, if you need specifics)
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
Famous for immense laziness. Can never commit to finishing posted runs.
ooooh man, this run is back! one of my favorites from lurking back in the day. can't wait to see you make it all the way!

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
First totem down! That's quite a hair-raising battle. K-Pop now has his third partner in this tragic love story... Poor guy.
Looking back, if that Rattata hadn't missed those two attacks, who knows what would've happened! And yep, K-pop just can't catch a break, can he?

ooooh man, this run is back! one of my favorites from lurking back in the day. can't wait to see you make it all the way!
Welcome back! I'm glad you enjoyed it back then. Yes, I'll definitely take this one all the way, win or lose!

StarterK-pop (Popplio)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime
Hau'oli CityCarolina (Wingull)🖤 DeadPart 2--Keen EyeAdamant (Atk+/SpA-)K-pop
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)💚 ActivePart 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)💚 ActivePart 2--LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)💚 ActivePart 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)K-pop
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata)💚 ActivePart 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)(lone wolf)

3Polka (Ledyba)Hau'oli CityPart 1Part 23-13Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos; sacrifice for safe switch-in for partner K-pop
4Carolina (Wingull)Verdant CavernPart 2Part 39-14Bite from Totem Alolan Raticate and Tackle from Alolan Rattata

Part 4: Melemele Massacre

This guy.

You remember Rising Star Joseph, the one who slew
Waltz and gave us our very first casualty? Well, he has a friend -- Rising Star "Ian". Not even one minute into Route 3 and this motherfucker got us good.

Boogaloo and
Rhapsody... yeah, wanna know what happened? WATER GUN. HITS. SO. HARD. WHAT THE FUCK, PSYDUCK.

I started the battle with Rhapsody, whose strongest move is Bite. At first I couldn't believe it, but I realized to my horror that Water Gun did way too much to just spam Bite. Thus, I paralyzed Psyduck with Glare, but I might as well have been feeding it breadcrumbs or something, because Psyduck just kept on trucking without a care in the world. Rhapsody gets low, and so of course I switch to Boogaloo, who does jackshit. And now we're in the situation you see above.

Why, Psyduck, why can't you be a Psychic type?!

I'm in a position no nuzlocker should ever be in: I have to sacrifice someone. No, scratch that, I have to CHOOSE who to sacrifice.

Now, it's true that Psyduck is paralyzed. However, nuzlocke law dictates that it means nothing.

Let's just think about this. Always think. What can I do?

1. Switch to Rhapsody.

If I do this, then I need a full para, after which Rhapsody can finish it off.

2. Stay in.

If I do this, then I need a full para, as Lick is stupidly weak and requires 2 more hits.

Gah, so either way, we need a full para. Now, let's assume the worst and say that paralysis never pulls through. For option 1, we lose no one or we lose both. For option 2, we lose no one or we lose Boogaloo. It's strictly a matter of minimizing loss. We have to go with option 2.

BOOGALOO, HANG IN THERE.

GYAAAHH.

Well, now we know: had I switched to Rhapsody, he would've been killed. Then, I would be in the same situation above except without Rhapsody, and chances are I would've lost both pokemon.

Death #5: Boogaloo the Gastly

Cause of Death: Water Gun from Rising Star Ian's Psyduck on Route 3

Level 7 - 14

Part 2 - Part 4

Parting Words:
Oh my heart. Boogaloo the Gengar was never meant to be. I looked it up and you would've learned Night Shade at the very next level! Just my luck. Well, I guess it's time for you to return home to Hau'oli Cemetery. Rest in peace indeed.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

So, here's where the gender preference thing comes into play.
Rhapsody's gender preference is male, and as such he cannot pair with the other lone wolf,
Vaudeville. Therefore, we have two lone wolves on our team.

It's kind of a weird situation, but here's how I'm treating the next encounter: if I find a male Pokemon, he will pair up with Rhapsody first. If I find a female one, she will pair with Vaudeville. If I find a genderless pokemon, it will pair with the oldest pokemon, i.e. Rhapsody.

With that said, fortunately for us, the population is booming at this part of the game-- we have an astounding 3 encounters waiting for us: Route 3, Melemele Meadow, and Seaward Cave. Alright Rhapsody, let's find your new pal on Route 3.

Skweee the Cutiefly joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 3

Nature: Rash (SpA+/SpD-)

Ability: Shield Dust

Name Origin: Sounds cute and cheerful, rhymes with "bee", what's not to love? Skweee itself is a mix of funk/R&B and synth/chiptune, and strangely enough I can kinda picture a Cutiefly being associated with this kind of music.

General Thoughts: Great catch! I've used Ribombee before and loved it. In terms of synergy, he covers Rhapsody's weaknesses well, but the same can't really be said vice-versa. That said, I look forward to training him!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

New pair: Rhapsody the Ekans and Skweee the Cutiefly

Come to think of it, I could've caught a Spearow instead and traded it for Cha the Hawlucha (from an NPC), which is legal per my rules. Oh well. Let's just assume I would've found a Vullaby instead which would've been a nightmare.

Up next, it's time to acquire a full party of 6! Let's see who Vaudeville's partner will be at Melemele Meadow...

Awesome!

...or not.

It had to happen sooner or later. The hard truth is, we just can't risk catching it. Oricorio escaped 3 Great Balls at red health and then SOS called another Oricorio, so I killed the original one to survive, and now we're up against this
ferocious killer cheering for our death.

You have no idea how much I wanted to catch an Oricorio, damn. It's hard, but I have to know when to stay my hand. I do not want to risk Rhapsody's life, and Skweee is definitely not a switch-in.

We have to run.

Since Oricorio is faster, I'm not even sure we can run away safely! As they are neither a healing item nor a boosting item, items like Poke Toys and Adrenaline Orbs are legal. So with that, farewell Oricorio, but why were you so cruel to me.

Well, maybe we'll have better luck in Seaward Cave. In a minor deviation from the original Sun & Moon, Nebby is actually located at Seaward Cave this time. Without thinking, I talk to Nebby first...

and DAMMIT NEBBY.

I FORGOT THERE WAS A SOLIERA BATTLE! Had I known talking to Nebby would be the trigger, I would have been more prepared!

Does she even use a Poipole at this point? I can't remember...

FURFROU? FURFROU?! NOOOOOOOO!!

Rhapsody and
Skweee are still in front!

Also, is that a Beast Ball?

Hrrrnnngggh, no, I tried, but it wasn't even a fight.

Skweee led the battle, so I used Stun Spore. It missed. Then, Headbutt nearly wipes him out, so I switched to Rhapsody and got the Intimidate. HAHAHAHA, oh how naive I was to think that would've helped. Furfrou proceeded to flinch Rhapsody every time, so as you can see, Furfrou is completely untouched.

NEEEBBBBBBBBBYYYYYY

Death #6: Rhapsody the Ekans

Cause of Death: Headbutt flinch hax from Soliera's Furfrou

Level 10 - 15

Part 2 - Part 4

Parting Words:
I tried to save you twice today, but I guess death really had its grip on you. Even though I'm not sure where your end game would've taken you, your invaluable combination of Glare and Intimidate proved to me that you were better than I thought. You didn't deserve that kind of ending.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

Death #7: Skweee the Cutiefly

Cause of Death: Headbutt from Soliera's Furfrou

Level 10 - 11

Joined and Died in Part 4

Parting Words:
I was on the verge of training you up, too.
Taken from us way too soon, way too soon.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Must... fight... the tilt.

K-pop, in a bid for revenge, puts down the dog with ease. I guess it brought something out of him, because after defeating Soliera, he evolved into Brionne! Godspeed,
K-pop.

Okay, it's over. Let's just return Nebby to Lillie, and let's go to the Pokemon Center and--

I NEVER LEARN! HOW DID I FORGET ALREADY?!

OF COURSE, I should have known talking to Nebby again would lead you straight to the next battle! Why Nebby, why do I keep talking to you.

Hau, please, we don't have to--

S-Skweee?! Is that y- wait, no, that's impossible! Hau, you can't just-- Hau, let me out of here!

NEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

END Part 4

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Oh Nebby (that face man). Triggering cutscenes and battles with no remorse. In Melemele Meadow, Lillie heals your team if you talk to her.

Zombie Skweee. Pew. Ultra necromantic powers.

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Oh Nebby (that face man). Triggering cutscenes and battles with no remorse. In Melemele Meadow, Lillie heals your team if you talk to her.

Zombie Skweee. Pew. Ultra necromantic powers.
lmao, I forgot how much of a little shit Nebby was. Yeah, I think I remember using Lillie a lot while training in this area. Always nice when pokemon games do that.

To this day, Zombie Skweee is one of the craziest situations I've had to handle, which we will see right in this next part!

StarterK-pop (Popplio)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)🖤 DeadPart 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo -> Skweee
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)🖤 DeadPart 2--LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)💚 ActivePart 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)K-pop
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata)💚 ActivePart 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)--
Route 3Skweee (Cutiefly)🖤 DeadPart 4Part 4Shield DustRash (SpA+/SpD-)Rhapsody
Melemele MeadowOricorio❌ Uncaptured----------

4Carolina (Wingull)Verdant CavernPart 2Part 39-14Bite from Totem Alolan Raticate and Tackle from Alolan Rattata
5Boogaloo (Gastly)Route 3Part 2Part 47-14Water Gun from Rising Star Ian's Psyduck
6Rhapsody (Ekans)Seaward CavePart 2Part 410-15Headbutt flinch hax from Soliera's Furfrou
7Skweee (Cutiefly)Seaward CavePart 4Part 410-11Headbutt from Soliera's Furfrou

Part 5: Hopeless

So... in the last part,
Skweee the Cutiefly died in the battle against Soliera. However, instead of burying him immediately afterwards, I talked to Nebby again like the doofus I am. Doing so leads you on a chain of cutscenes in which your party gets healed and then you fight Hau.

Yeah, he's not really alive.

In order to overcome this bizarre situation, I'm just gonna let Zombie Skweee die again. In the meantime, I cannot let him do anything to Litten, so if that means I have to stall by using useless items, then I will allow that, rule breaking or no.

And, let me tell ya...

I think the malasadas must have gotten to poor Hau's head, because in addition to what you see above, he proceeded to do anything but the correct move for like 5 turns. Hau, please, end the pain.

thanks hau youre my best friend

Super Death: Skweee the Cutiefly

Cause of Death: Corpse was roasted by Hau's Litten's Ember.

Hau still being a pushover at this point, suffice it to say we had no trouble beating him for real.

Right, so now I'll take this time to finally breathe and get my bearings. Let's think positively: the beginning of pokemon games are always the hardest in a nuzlocke. Items are limited, TMs are almost nonexistent, Pokemon are weak, you name it. Losses are expected this early, so from now on, let's forge ahead and think of how much stronger we will get!

Plus, we have some good to cling onto right now. Lest it be forgotten, in the midst of all the chaos last time,
K-pop evolved into Brionne! Also, I still haven't picked up my Seaward Cave encounter due to the Nebby shenanigans.

Vaudeville, we may have failed to catch that Oricorio for you, but this time we will get you your first partner. What will it be, what will it be!

Forget everything I said. This run sucks.

Vaporwave the Delibird joins the party!

Encounter Location: Seaward Cave

Nature: Impish (Def+/SpA-)

Ability: Vital Spirit

Name Origin: As I understand it, vaporwave is a kind of satirical music genre, and though I personally like it, let's just agree that it's not exactly an honor to be named as such.

General Thoughts: Let's face it, Delibird's usefulness in battle amounts to a meme. Look, I'm all for nuzlockes making you use pokemon you would never normally use and being surprised by them. However, the only thing that'll surprise me about Vaporwave is if she turns out to be useful.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

New pair: Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata and Vaporwave the Delibird

I... don't feel like training Vaporwave, honestly. Let's just move on.

Normally I'd accept this battle in a heartbeat for the Roost TM, but given the state of my party, I'm not even gonna bother at the moment. Though
K-pop and
Grime have a relative type advantage, Slowpoke will be hard to break through. From experience, Butterfree's Silver Wind is a Silver Wind of the gods that boosts all stats 95% of the time (seriously, on my first playthrough, it boosted twice in a row). If my luck is truly bad (if it isn't already), this could end the run. For real.

Roost, I know you are the best TM in the entire game for a no-heal wedlocke, but I'll be back for you, I promise.

Now, all that's left between us and the next island is the island kahuna! I have one very calculated strategy to take him down...

Major Trainer Battle: Kahuna Hala

Team Checkup

Strategy

WE CLICK WING ATTACK 3 TIMES TO WIN BABY, LET'S DO IT.

Begin Battle

ONE!

TWO!

Fuck.

"Hello, I like money!"

Okay, so I knew Crabrawler wouldn't be taken down that easily. However, I did NOT expect Crabrawler to be a fucking Garchomp! Fast, bulky, and strong, what is this?! Pursuit does a million to Grime, Wing Attack did absolutely nothing to it, and Crabrawler outspeeds!

I didn't switch to K-pop because I know it has All-Out Pummeling. Though K-pop is evolved, Crabrawler might as well be too because of all them darn EVs and IVs. I don't doubt that K-pop can endure one, but how much can he really take after? And would Disarming Voice be enough? Maybe, maybe not. And I'd probably have to switch to Grime at some point anyway, which would be bad with Pursuit. I just don't know, man.

Pursuit did 13 damage and Grime currently rests at 19 hp. If I switch out, that's 26 damage. Not good.

Regrets, regrets everywhere. I should have gotten Roost. But what's done is done, and we need to do something.

Confuse Ray is an option, but a 33% chance isn't really high. If confusion lets us down like
Rhapsody's Glare did on that Psyduck, then we'd be in trouble. Grime would die, and K-pop would probably be facing a full-health Crabrawler if Hala heals.

Let's just Wing Attack.

So the turn goes by, and Wing Attack is indeed a 3HKO. However, it's the end of the line for Grime.

Sigh, Grime's fate is sealed. Crabrawler outspeeds her, and we can't switch...

Hrrrghggh.

Death #8: Grime the Zubat

Cause of Death: Pursuit from Kahuna Hala's Crabrawler

Level 7 - 17

Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 5

Parting Words: I remember when I first caught you and how I had to train you without a partner. You only had Astonish and Absorb, and yet you pushed through, and eventually you managed to become the partner of my ace and put in serious work in a battle that really mattered: the kahuna himself. Without you, we probably would have lost the run to Hala. Thanks for everything.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

...WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, K-pop doesn't give a flying fuck about All-Out Pummeling and crits with Disarming Voice for the kill! That settles that!

And in case you haven't heard, they discovered that the critical hit chance was actually nerfed in gen 7. It used to be 6.25%, but now it's ~4.17%. Ain't that something.

It's over, we are free!

Well, not yet. We have one crucial task to do before I forget: find K-pop a partner (once again) at Ten Carat Hill! We have the potential for some seriously choice pokemon here.

Just look at that, oh man.

Alright, with Tauros at our behest, let's scour the island for everything we can gather, and then let's see what exciting capture awaits us!

Maybe I should just not be optimistic ever again.

Saltarello the Spinda joins the party!

Encounter Location: Ten Carat Hill

Nature: Timid (Spe+/Atk-)

Ability: Own Tempo

Name Origin: I'm salty.

General Thoughts: To be fair, Spinda's usability is passable at this point in the game, but AHGKJSHKJFDGKD MACHOP, ROGGENROLA, ANYONE, DON'T LEAVE ME WITH THIS!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

New pair: K-pop the Brionne and Saltarello the Spinda

Not gonna lie, with the way things have been going lately, it's kinda taken the fire out of me. The recent loss of
Grime in a battle I thought she had in the bag combined with the capture of
Saltarello and
Vaporwave really isn't doing me any favors in terms of morale.

K-pop, you're my beacon of hope. As long as you're still around, this run is not over.
Vaudeville, it could go either way with you; I hope you can prove yourself as we get through this monster of a game.

END Part 5

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Poor K-Pop 😭 ... Something tells me that Saltarello isn't going to last long either. Props to him for surviving all these battles though! (He may need therapy after all is said and done).

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Poor K-Pop 😭 ... Something tells me that Saltarello isn't going to last long either. Props to him for surviving all these battles though! (He may need therapy after all is said and done).
Spinda definitely wasn't my favored choice haha, but yeah, K-pop just can't catch a break.

StarterK-pop (Popplio -> Brionne)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime -> Saltarello
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)🖤 DeadPart 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo -> Skweee
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)🖤 Dead Part 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)K-pop
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata)💚 ActivePart 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)--
Seaward CaveVaporwave (Delibird)💚 ActivePart 5--Vital SpiritImpish (Def+/SpA-)Vaudeville
Ten Carat HillSaltarello (Spinda)💚 ActivePart 5--Own TempoTimid (Spe+/Atk-) K-pop

5Boogaloo (Gastly)Route 3Part 2Part 47-14Water Gun from Rising Star Ian's Psyduck
6Rhapsody (Ekans)Seaward CavePart 2Part 410-15Headbutt flinch hax from Soliera's Furfrou
8Grime (Zubat)Iki TownPart 2Part 57-17Pursuit from Kahuna Hala's Crabrawler

Part 6: Worth Your Salt

I can feel it-- the end of Melemele Island is drawing ever so closer.

Before we leave, though, Vaudeville manages to nab us 3 Leftovers from the local Munchlax population. This is something I never would have done had it not been for the brutality of this run so far, so I hope this proves to be a valuable decision.

A job well done for Vaudeville. Now, how's your
partner holding up?

OHKO Pluck from a wild Vullaby on Vaporwave? Not even a crit?

I can't believe it.

Vullaby, that was amazing!

Death #9: Vaporwave the Delibird

Cause of Death: OHKO Pluck from a wild Vullaby on Route 3

Level 11

Joined in Part 5, Died in Part 6

Parting Words: *pretends to be shocked*

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Hey, don't look at me like that. True, I did indeed plan to "accidentally" kill her by putting her in increasingly dangerous positions, but not this soon! Specifically, I was planning on pitting her against Sina's Ice types with Brick Break, perhaps with Fightinium Z, in an effort to give her some use before dying. After all, though
Polka was a fellow jokemon, at least she played a useful role in the Ilima battle before her timely death. But you, Vaporwave, oh what was this, your second battle? I know Vullaby had 2 levels on you and Pluck is a decently strong move, but to get one shotted like that? I actually did not expect that.

So was there any redeeming quality about Vaporwave? Yes: dying quickly.

ANYWAY, we're done! Come, Mantine, we ride the waves of BP at sunset!

Here we are. They really pushed the limits of the 3DS with this region, huh?

So after getting through some more plot, we're confronted with our first opponent of the island, and her name is...

yeah

Major Trainer Battle: Sina

Team Checkup

Strategy

As you'd expect looking at my paltry team, there's no real choice other than
K-pop and
Saltarello. We just have to hope Glaceon gets bopped by Saltarello's All-Out Pummeling, but with K-pop resisting Ice, it'll be fine if it doesn't and he has to come in.

Can we get through one major battle without a death? That's all I want.

Begin Battle

First off, credit where credit is due: Saltarello's moveset is actually fantastic, as is the norm with Normal types. 60 base stats across the board really ain't too shabby at this point either.

Smoochum goes down to one Feint Attack. Nice.

Glaceon comes out, and you know what I'm going to do.

No reasonable person would expect to OHKO a freaking Glaceon, so all things considered, good job Salt! You're all right after all.

And of course, Glaceon does a shit ton, so K-pop comes in to clean up. Not bad.

Whew, good start, good start. Now, let's keep that momentum going: Route 4 and beyond, what have you got for us.

Galant the Lillipup joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 4

Nature: Sassy (SpD+/Spe-)

Ability: Vital Spirit

Name Origin: Pronounced guh-LAWNT, Galant refers to a type of music emphasizing simplicity and light elegance. I've always found Lillipup's design pleasantly simple, and the name is similar to "gallant", which I feel could describe Herdier and Stoutland's appearances well.

General Thoughts: Well, although we have double Normal types and thus a frightening weakness to Fighting, this is quite a good catch! And I believe Vital Spirit Lillipup evolves into Intimidate Herdier, so that's even better!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

Oh, I didn't realize Galant would evolve so fast. Sweet.

New pair: Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata and Galant the Herdier

And now, it's time to do what I've been cruelly denied for these past 5 episodes: attaining our very first full party of 6!

Looking at the encounter list, we seriously can't go wrong with whatever we catch at Paniola Ranch. I also count the Eevee egg as a gift, so whatever I catch, I can decide on Eevee's evolution based on synergy and all that.

Mariachi the Mareep joins the party!

Encounter Location: Paniola Ranch

Ability: Static

Name Origin: A shitty pun on "Maree"p and "Mari"achi.

General Thoughts: Really happy about this! The whole Mareep line is solid statwise, and it's one of my favorite designs. I'm glad they added this in USUM.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

And then we receive the egg, but of course hatching pokemon is super trivial thanks to a certain fence.

Concerto the Eevee joins the party!

Encounter Location: Paniola Ranch (gift)

Ability: Adaptability

Name Origin: With no real idea of what Eeveelution to choose yet, I went for something associated with multiple parts-- a composition of different elements, things like that. Concertos seem to be about that, as they involve a solo instrument accompanied by an orchestra/big band.

General Thoughts: Impish nature, huh. That pretty much eliminates most Eeveelutions if I want a favorable nature. What immediately comes to mind is Leafeon or Umbreon, but I'll think hard about this later. Anyway, I've always loved using Eevee, so it goes without saying I look forward to using him!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

And you know what else? Like
Galant before her, Mariachi evolves into Flaaffy right at the next level! Even better.

New pair: Mariachi the Flaaffy and Concerto the Eevee

Finally, right after this, our evolution spree finishes with
Vaudeville's evolution into Alolan Raticate! Oh man, we are in it to win it.

Anyway,
Concerto being a level 1 babby, we're in for quite the training session... or are we?

It's time to whip out my world famous trick from Part 2:

HYPERSPEED GRINDING ACTIVATE!!

Thanks to the power of the written log, you don't have to watch any boring grinding sessions! Everyone's leveled up and ready to roll.

Well, I did get tired of grinding, so Concerto and Mariachi are a bit behind. That's okay though.

Let's cap off this episode with one more major battle, this time against everyone's favorite edge lord Gladion.

Major Trainer Battle: Gladion

Team Checkup

Strategy

MMMMMMMM look at that full team-- it's beautiful.

So yeah, Gladion's Zorua did indeed bait me on my first playthrough, but now that I know he leads with it, I'm prepared. He also has a Zubat and of course his ace Type:Null, so thinking about it,
Saltarello actually has a very favorable matchup against him. Nothing else to say other than we go for those juicy super effective moves.

Begin Battle

lol

lol

lol

Did-- did you just solo that?! Salt, I am so proud of you
. All throughout today, from Sina to Hau (not pictured) to Gladion, you just obliterated everything in your path. At this point, I have to apologize for my disdain towards you at the end of the last part. From now on, I will trust you and your funky drunky ways!

This is the beauty of nuzlockes: never would I have thought a Spinda would be so useful. I know it's only temporary and she will fall behind, but for now, let's pour ourselves a glass of salt and savor this moment.

END Part 6

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Salt is doing decently! And I love your nicknames for everyone! (And Mariachi x Concerto FTW. I remember them being great!)

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Salt is doing decently! And I love your nicknames for everyone! (And Mariachi x Concerto FTW. I remember them being great!)
Yep, Salt isn't so bad at this stage in the game. And absolutely, Mariachi x Concerto are amazing and remain one of the most memorable pairs in this run for me. Very interesting to see where it all began!

StarterK-pop (Popplio -> Brionne)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime -> Saltarello
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)🖤 DeadPart 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)K-pop
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata -> Alolan Raticate)💚 ActivePart 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)Galant
Seaward CaveVaporwave (Delibird)🖤 DeadPart 5Part 6Vital SpiritImpish (Def+/SpA-)Vaudeville
Ten Carat HillSaltarello (Spinda)💚 ActivePart 5--Own TempoTimid (Spe+/Atk-)K-pop
Route 4Galant (Lillipup -> Herdier)💚 ActivePart 6--IntimidateSassy (SpD+/Spe-)Vaudeville
Paniola RanchMariachi (Mareep -> Flaaffy)💚 ActivePart 6--StaticDocile (neutral)Concerto
Paniola Ranch (gift)Concerto (Eevee)💚 ActivePart 6--AdaptabilityImpish (Def+/SpA-)Mariachi
Route 5Calypso (Pikipek)🖥 In PC----Skill LinkCalm (SpD+/Atk-)--

9Vaporwave (Delibird)Route 3Part 5Part 611OHKO Pluck from wild Vullaby

Part 7: Insane in the Rain

I've been thinking about how to handle this, and for now I've decided on this: for new catches that get sent straight to the PC, they'll simply be added to the "All Pokemon" list above without a formal introduction. If it's something noteworthy, I'll mention it, but in the time between the last update and this, I only caught Calypso the Pikipek, which is pretty unremarkable. Thus, she'll just be added to the table without any further mention until I consider her for the team. Thus, feel free to check the list every now and then for new catches.

Anyway, onto the run!

Oh boy, it's time to painstakingly decide on the obligatory Eeveelution. I'm tellin ya, next to coming up with nicknames without a theme, this is something I can never do in a timely manner.

But luckily-- or unluckily-- recall that
Concerto has an Impish nature, which boosts Defense but lowers Special Attack. Whether I like it or not, that narrows down the choice considerably so. Still, bad natures are not the end of the world, and I should also consider compatibility with
Mariachi.

Hmmmmmmm...

Vaporeon: To be honest, this is a solid choice regardless of nature. Paired with Mariachi, Vaporeon could take care of her only weakness: Ground types. In return, Mariachi could handle Vaporeon's weakness to Electric types. Grass pokemon may pose a problem, but other than that, Vaporeon's stats are just very solid, and lord knows I need some bulk on my team.

Jolteon: Double Electric types? I'm good.

Flareon: Impish nature is actually decent for Flareon, as it could help patch up his mediocre defense. His special attack can be safely ignored as well. Fire type is a great type to have, but what about paired with Mariachi? It's... okay. Both are weak to Ground, but Mariachi can handle Flareon's weakness to Water. I suppose Flareon's an option to consider.

Espeon: This is a case where the bad nature might actually be really bad. Espeon is a glass cannon, so killing the opponent before it can hit you is of vital importance. If Espeon can't do that, it's GG. With the special attack drop from the nature, I fear for those really-close-but-not-quite OHKOs, like 98% damage the first turn. In a regular nuzlocke, I probably wouldn't have a problem with a weaker Espeon, but in this case, it's too risky.

Umbreon: One of my top choices. Umbreon takes hits. And takes hits. And takes hits. Know what I need on my team? Something that can take hits. Impish nature greatly complements Umbreon's stat spread, as his special defense is already sky high and his defense is great but will be boosted even further by the nature. Of course, the downside is that Umbreon is relatively slow and really weak, but once I get Toxic (allll the way at Aether Paradise), this thing will be unstoppable.

Leafeon: My other top choice. Like Umbreon, Leafeon is very bulky... on the physical side. Specially, there's a lot to be desired. However, the big difference between Leafeon and Umbreon is that the former can actually attack! Also, the type synergy with Mariachi is quite nice: Leafeon counters Ground types completely, and Mariachi handles Flying types. Still, I do have to consider that I won't be able to get Leafeon until Lush Jungle. I mean, that's not too far, but that means I have to get through the water trial and fire trial with an Eevee.

Glaceon: GAME FREAK, PLEASE STOP THIS ENDGAME ICE TYPE SHITTERY.

Sylveon: The special attack drop hurts, especially considering we won't have Pixilate. However, Fairy typing is just fantastic to have, and a defense boost is definitely appreciated since Sylveon's special bulk is equally as disgusting as Umbreon's. There's no real synergy between Sylveon and Mariachi, but there isn't any real downside either.

Well, I've made my decision.

Concerto the Umbreon!

Leafeon had a lot of points in his favor, but what made Umbreon win out in the end was the fact that he's obtainable right away, so now I can use that delicious B U L K.

...That said, I may have made a dangerous impulse decision with him and Mariachi.

I decided to fight this guy, remembering that he uses Psychium Z and has a Slowpoke. However, THAT LEVEL DIFFERENCE. WHO PUT THIS GUY HERE?! Mariachi is at 21, and Concerto is at 18. Ruh roh.

Slowpoke goes down, but I had completely forgotten about Mr. Mime.

Mr. Mime uses Z-Reflect, and, well, that is how much Concerto's Bite does. Great.

As it turns out, Mr. Mime only has Double Slap, which is a huge relief. Each slap is 2 damage, and Concerto's Leftovers heal 3. I'd love to switch to Mariachi, but I bet Mr. Mime is just itching to unzip his psychic prowess, and besides, Mr. Mime has crazy special defense. Thus, I've resigned myself to simply holding down the fort with Concerto as he remains completely unfazed by the barrage of bitch slaps.

Good work buddy, you're doing great. Look at how little damage you're taking... and doing. Yep, you got this, just keep Biting, and biting... and biting... and biting...

HEY, WHAT'S THAT?

TIME FOR ANOTHER TOTEM? LET'S DO IT!

Totem Battle: Araquanid

Team Checkup

Strategy

True, we have an Electric type. However, with Totem Araquanid holding a Wacan Berry and having naturally gigantic special defense, haha I don't think so.

Honestly, I think the best damage output will come from
Galant's Breakneck Blitz, which is 175bp or 262 with STAB. If we can't hit Araquanid super effectively, we can at least target another of its "weaknesses": its physical defense. I mean, sure, 68 hp / 92 def isn't frail, but it sure as hell beats tackling that 132 spdef. Another positive attribute of Galant's is her access to Intimidate, which should help alleviate some damage.

Vaudeville being Galant's partner, she too will need to be prepared. However, with a type disadvantage as well as a nature that deters her from using an Iapapa Berry, it'll be pretty scary if she's all that's left. Thus, I gave her a Sitrus Berry for maximum survival.

In case those two fall, I think my next best option is
Mariachi and
Concerto. However, as implied above, Mariachi's Thunder Shock just isn't gonna do much, and Charge Beam obviously will miss. I suppose Concerto could sponge hits and confuse/lower accuracy if he really has to, but with a type disadvantage, that might be difficult.

K-pop and
Saltarello are my last lines of defense. Neither can do much, but the rain might help with K-pop's water moves, and Saltarello's Hypnosis could be a desperate win condition.

Begin Battle

Raise your hand if this caught you off guard the first time.

Well, here goes nothing. LET'S BREAK SOME NECKS TODAY.

shite

NO, NOT HIM!

AND ARAQUANID HAS BUBBLE, so Intimidate doesn't matter and we get blown back. Shit! That did so much.

Now what? Take Down is 85% accurate and Galant is at -1 attack. How much will Take Down do? Well let's see: Breakneck Blitz did about 60%, so Take Down would be about 60 * .67 * .51 = ~20% damage. That... is not enough.

Of course, we can't just switch. We have to stay in and do some damage. Go for it, Take Down!

GYAAAHH, both of them outspeed Galant?!

Death #10: Galant the Herdier

Cause of Death: Bubble from Totem Araquanid and Bug Bite from Masquerain

Level 14-21

Joined in Part 6, Died in Part 7

Parting Words:
Damn... I really didn't want you to go. Back when morale was at an all time low after leaving Melemele Island, catching you helped motivate me to continue on. Your stay wasn't very long, but I sincerely appreciated you being so awesome on the team while it lasted.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

Well Vaudeville, you're up, but damn, this isn't a good matchup for you.

Stun Spore? Interesting choice, and thankfully it misses. What I'm really worried about is whatever Bug move Araquanid has, which I suppose couldn't possibly be...

IT ACTUALLY HAS LEECH LIFE?! FUUUUUCCCCKKK.

Thanks to Galant's Intimidate, it doesn't outright kill, but it does a hefty 30 damage, leaving Vaudeville at 32/62 hp. That could prove crucial, since if Masquerain doesn't attack, then we might survive another blow.

Bite did about 20%, meaning Hyper Fang will do a bit more, perhaps ~30%. That's not enough to kill, so I think what we need is a Bite flinch. Please?

Stun Spore misses again. Good, but...

ERRGGHHH, stop that.

We barely survive it and eat up our Sitrus Berry, but...

Sweet jesus this is hopeless.

Next turn, Masquerain gets off its ass and finishes the job. Honestly, that might be for the best, as it prevented Araquanid from getting any more Leech Life recovery.

Death #11: Vaudeville the Alolan Raticate

Cause of Death: Bug Bite from Masquerain in Totem Araquanid battle

Level 10-21

Joined in Part 3, Died in Part 7

Parting Words:
You were one of the last members of the Melemele group, so I'm happy to say that you turned out to be more useful than I thought. The Leftovers you stole for us will undoubtedly prove to be vital to the run as a whole, so even in death, you will be honored as a valued member.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3
n/a

In following my battle plan, I send out Mariachi next...

...and NICE! Masquerain gets paralyzed by Static!

Now, we go for the Thunder Shock...

And predictably, it's not enough. At least the berry is gone though.

After a Bug Bite and Bubble, Mariachi rests at 26/65 hp. Let's see, Bubble did... 27 damage?! NOOOOO, am I gonna lose you too?! What options do I have?!

Should I stay in and hope for a lower damage roll?

Should I switch Concerto in?

Should I sacrifice Mariachi?! AGGGHHHHH.

WHAT DO I DO?!

...No, I trust him.

I trust Concerto. I chose Umbreon for a reason. Mariachi is not about to be a lamb for sacrifice.

Good grief, I'm gonna do it: I'm switching a Dark type directly into 2 Bug types. What am I even doing.

WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT!

Bubble does 16 damage to him while Masquerain uses Tailwind. Leftovers then heals a nice 4 hp, so after all's said and done, Concerto is at a healthy 59/71 hp!

Next, Concerto's bulk is pushed even further: Masquerain uses Bug Bite and Araquanid uses Bubble...

and AYYYYYYY! CONCERTO EATS IT ALL UP! Feint Attack doesn't even kill, but that doesn't matter, because

OMAE WA MOU SHINDEIRU.

And as for Masquerain, it gets fully paralyzed on this turn, ha!

Oh my god, is this happening?!

YUS, WE DID IT! Concerto didn't give two SHITS about anything Masquerain had against him! It also helps that Masquerain choked and used Scary Face once.

THOSE STATS.

YOU PULLED IT OFF! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU ACTUALLY SAVED YOURSELF AND YOUR PARTNER FROM THE BUGS!

Now, lest it be forgotten, Vaudeville and Galant valiantly fought for their lives, but Leech Life took us all by surprise. Their efforts absolutely mattered too, since the combined power of Mariachi and Concerto barely dealt enough damage as is to finish it off.

That said, I am just so shocked and over the moon with what Concerto managed to pull off!

You were the right choice after all!

END Part 7

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Congrats! The first instances of Mariachi and Concerto saving the day. Vaudeville was really unlucky to go into battle with 2 bug types armed with Stun Spore and Leech Life which got a MASSIVE boost in gen 7.

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
Congrats! The first instances of Mariachi and Concerto saving the day. Vaudeville was really unlucky to go into battle with 2 bug types armed with Stun Spore and Leech Life which got a MASSIVE boost in gen 7.
The first of many 😉. Yeah, I was really banking on Galant doing more than she did, but alas it all went downhill. Vaudeville still took the Leech Life like a champ though!

Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata -> Alolan Raticate)🖤 DeadPart 3Part 7GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)Galant
Seaward CaveVaporwave (Delibird)🖤 DeadPart 5Part 6Vital SpiritImpish (Def+/SpA-)Vaudeville
Ten Carat HillSaltarello (Spinda)💚 ActivePart 5--Own TempoTimid (Spe+/Atk-)K-pop
Route 4Galant (Lillipup -> Herdier)🖤 DeadPart 6Part 7IntimidateSassy (SpD+/Spe-)Vaudeville
Paniola RanchMariachi (Mareep -> Flaaffy)💚 ActivePart 6--StaticDocile (neutral)Concerto
Paniola Ranch (gift)Concerto (Eevee)💚 ActivePart 6--AdaptabilityImpish (Def+/SpA-)Mariachi

10Galant (Herdier)Brooklet HillPart 6Part 714-21Bubble from Totem Araquanid and Bug Bite from Masquerain
11Vaudeville (Alolan Raticate)Brooklet HillPart 3Part 710-21Bug Bite from Masquerain in Totem Araquanid battle

Part 8: Enter the Dragon

After a terrifying but ultimately victorious battle against Totem Araquanid, it's time to ease up on the gas pedal. It'll be a while before the next trial, so in the meantime we can take it easy as we continue through Akala Island. Please game, let's be friends.

Vaudeville and
Galant were lost to us in the fight, so my first job this episode is to find a whole new pair. Now that we've successfully made our way into the heart of the game, the amount of choices I have for pokemon is plentiful...

...perhaps too plentiful. I never thought I'd say it, but it's true. Just examining all of the choices makes my head hurt:

• The PC (right now just
    Calypso the Pikipek)
  • Melemele Sea
  • Hau'oli City - Beachfront
  • Kala'e Bay
  • Paniola Town
  • Route 6
  • Brooklet Hill
  • Diglett's Tunnel

Factor in the variety of pokemon in each route and the number of different pairs among them, and you got yourself a dilemma even harder to solve than deciding whether boneless wings are nuggets. Don't worry though, I will spare everyone the agonizing process of my decision making. Basically, I came to two important realizations:

1. Bagon is guaranteed at Kala'e Bay thanks to Dupes Clause

2. Magikarp is 90% guaranteed at Paniola Town, with the 10% being Barboach

Let that sink in for a moment.

Salamence and Gyarados, two of some of the strongest pokemon in the game, potentially a pair! Bad type synergy? Fuck it, the best defense is a good offense!

And so I make haste to the nearby Paniola Town, eager for a taste of greatness as I cast my newly received fishing rod into the water...

That's a funny looking Magikarp.

Aquacrunk the Barboach joins the party!

Encounter Location: Paniola Town

Ability: Oblivious

Name Origin: "Aquacrunk" is another name for the "Wonky" genre of music. The goofy name and obscurity of this genre matches Whiscash's goofy appearance and relative obscurity. Plus, there's the "aqua" pun in the name, as well as the fact that wonky music is "wet and unstable" according to Wikipedia (lol). Weird name for a weird mon indeed.

General Thoughts: I'm not that mad to be honest. Good typing is good typing, and Whiscash's stats are certainly not Delibird or Smeargle levels of bad. Now that I think about it, her type synergy is actually quite amazing with Salamence, or at least better than Gyarados. I'll give her a chance for sure!

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

That didn't go quite as planned, but it wasn't a terrible outcome either.

Now then, let's move on and catch ourselves the big one, the beast of Melemele Island. Was anyone else there in 2016 when people discovered you could get a goddamn Salamence on the very first island? Absolutely mental.

My baby, there he is. Salamence isn't callable here (not like I'd go for it anyway), but all the better. I want to raise him all by myself.

I am so, so glad
Mariachi and
Concerto are a thing. Seriously, I cannot appreciate them enough. Thanks to them, we were prevented from having another Oricorio situation (see part 4). As you might know, Bagon as well most other baby pseudos have an abysmal catch rate of 45 (5.9%), and it's not exactly a pushover in this stage (75 base attack!). However, thanks to Mariachi and Concerto's combined bulk and support movepool, we secured the catch after a moderate struggle, whew.

Sonata the Bagon joins the party!

Encounter Location: Kala'e Bay

Nature: Mild (SpA+/Def-)

Ability: Rock Head

Name Origin: As Mega Salamence, it's known as the "blood-soaked crescent". Thinking of moons led me to Moonlight Sonata, and sonata being a type of music in my list, I feel like this is a good and elegant name for a major league player such as him.

General Thoughts: What can I say? With a future Salamence at my belt, I will do whatever it takes to see him grow up and fly us to victory.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

New pair: Aquacrunk the Barboach and Sonata the Bagon

Ah, gen 3 love. I really liked Barboach as a kid, possibly because I thought it was the strongest pokemon ever since it was a fish that could take Electric hits. Things like that really fuck with your mind when you're a kid learning the ropes about Pokemon.

Brilliant,
Sonata! With this as your Hidden Power, fool your opponents into thinking you're using Hidden Power Ice, but then surprise them with a tactical STAB HP Dragon instead! Kappa

With that done, it's time to grind these two up a bit and catch some more mons with our new pal Lapras. As I mentioned in the last episode, I generally won't be talking about encounters that go straight to the PC.

But the key word is "generally", because

HOLY SHIT, look at this! Once again, we got ourselves a 10% encounterable fish, this time a lovely little Feebas just itching to evolve with the Prism Scale we picked up at Kala'e Bay. Of course, I can't use him just yet, but it's nice to know I have a great backup option in the PC.

Moving on, with Totem Marowak next,
Aquacrunk is an excellent choice. In fact, with that kind of typing, Wela Volcano Park is Aqua's very own stomping ground, so let's head there. We make our way through Route 6 no problem, the whole Battle Royal segment no problem, Route 7 no prob-

-lem. Oh no, not you. Ladies and gentlemen, the menace of gen 5: Basculin. I remember this little demon straight up eating my pokemon whole back in my past nuzlockes. It's so damn strong.

Aqua and Sonata are leading this battle, but Aqua isn't having the best of times. Basculin's Take Down deals an alarming 25 damage to her. In return, Aqua fights back with Magnitude... 5. Good one.

So yeah, trouble. It's not worth it to have Sonata take 2 massive hits in a row, so I think my best plan is to stay in. Assuming a similar damage roll, Aqua can survive another hit. In terms of moves, she has Magnitude, Mud Bomb, and Hydro Vortex (120bp).

This is Magnitude's distribution. 10% chance of Magnitude 5. Man, I've been getting lots of 10%s this episode, haven't I? Perhaps it's a sign that I should go for it again and get the other 10% for Magnitude 9! That legitimately may be what I need, to be honest.

Even a Magnitude 8 is not enough, as 90 power is 3 times more than what we dealt above, which is definitely not enough to kill. Mud Bomb targets Basculin's lower Special Defense and could lower its accuracy, but 85% accuracy is trash. Hydro Vortex is a 120 power move, which being resisted is a 60 * 1.5 = 90 power move against Basculin. Again, that's 3 times the damage already inflicted above, which is not enough.

Thus, I will go for the move that maximizes Aqua's chance of survival: Magnitude. It's possible to live through this as long as we get a good roll.

COME ON, WE NEED THAT GOOD ROLL! ESCALATORS ESCALATORS ESCALATORS!

eeeels.

Aw 🐬 . Sigh, not much else to do now. We have to hope Take Down misses.

Even if I switch to Sonata now and he dodges the Take Down, the risk for further damage is too great, especially considering this swimmer has another pokemon in the back which I don't even know.

Aqua Jet from Basculin, yep, should have known.

Death #12: Aquacrunk the Barboach

Cause of Death: 2 Take Downs and an Aqua Jet from Swimmer Dakota's Basculin on Route 7

Level 20-21

Joined and Died in Part 8

Parting Words:
Man, that sucks. You were my best bet for Totem Marowak, and even beyond that, I believe you had potential to be a decent pokemon. Dammit... well, good bye, it was cool having STAB Ground attacks for a while.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

We are sadly not in the clear yet. Sonata may be strong, but can he solo the rest of this battle?

Oh shit, nice one! Yes, that could prove to be crucial!

Dragon Breath wasn't enough. Oh god, Sonata, I need you to pull through. Do what you did last time...

OHHH SHIT! WE ANIME NOW!

AND THEN YOU GET THE DRAGON BREATH PARA! Sonata you absolute monster!

Sweet, sweet revenge.

You. You are on my list.

Alright... so we lost Aquacrunk frighteningly fast. That's especially bad because she was my plan A for Totem Marowak (and I really did like her...).

Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately, that awesome Feebas I caught earlier can't pair up with Sonata since it's a male and Sonata's preference is females. The available females in my PC are Pikipek and Igglybuff, which are just disappointing.

I still haven't caught anything in water routes like the Melemele Sea, so those are still open for catches. Interestingly, since I caught an Alolan Diglett on Route 7, Larvitar is guaranteed at Diglett's Tunnel! That's right, TYRANITAR AND SALAMENCE is a possibility!

But will I do it? This might sound crazy, but... no. Please understand.

Looking at my team now, I don't have a clear answer for Totem Lurantis, who I know can be real nuzlocke ender with the wrong team. As a result, assuming my team remains the same up until Lurantis, I want to have at least one good answer for it.

Thus, here is my new plan without Aquacrunk. For Totem Marowak, I will use
K-pop. For Totem Lurantis, I will catch something at Wela Volcano Park to deal with it.

As you can see, everything I can catch there is excellent. Male Salandit is a non-issue thanks to my need for a female, so without further ado, let's see who we get!

Lambada the Fletchling joins the party!

Encounter Location: Wela Volcano Park

Nature: Naive (Spe+/SpD-)

Ability: Big Pecks

Name Origin: "Lambada" kinda sounds like "Lombardi", as in Falco Lombardi from Star Fox. Also, the lambada itself is a Brazilian dance along the lines of the salsa, which fits into the Fletchling line's fiery nature.

General Thoughts: Very neat typing (for the evolutions of course). Fire/Flying adds some much needed coverage, and the high speed of Talonflame is a great asset in the sluggish Alolan region. Besides that, I've loved this line ever since it was revealed in gen 6, so I'm pretty happy.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

Of course, like with
Galant and
Mariachi, Fletchling is an early route pokemon, so Lambada evolves almost right away into Fletchinder!

New pair: Sonata the Bagon and Lambada the Fletchinder

Gonna have to watch out for Rock types eventually, or should I say, Watch for Rolling Rocks.

Okay, so how are we doing at this point? Aside from Aquacrunk's unfortunately swift death, I think we're pretty good. I have a decent team for Totem Marowak, and Lambada's arrival on the team should prove to be a boon for Totem Lurantis. Oh, how I wish Acrobatics were still an early game TM, along with Scald. Those were really busted, weren't they?

Next time, we face the thicc-boned Alolan Marowak totem. That could be scary, but I believe in my team. We can do it.

END Part 8

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019

Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata -> Alolan Raticate)🖤 DeadPart 3Part 7GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)Galant
Route 4Galant (Lillipup -> Herdier)🖤 DeadPart 6Part 7IntimidateSassy (SpD+/Spe-)Vaudeville
Paniola TownAquacrunk (Barboach)🖤 DeadPart 8Part 8ObliviousLonely (Atk+/Def-)Sonata
Kala'e BaySonata (Bagon)💚 ActivePart 8--Rock HeadMild (SpA+/Def-)Aquacrunk -> Lambada
Brooklet HillMadrigal (Feebas)🖥 In PC----Swift SwimBrave (Atk+/Spe-)--
Route 6Bubblepop (Igglybuff)🖥 In PC----Cute CharmBold (Def+/Atk-)--
Route 7Bebop (Alolan Diglett)🖥 In PC----Tangling HairNaughty (Atk+/SpD-)--
Wela Volcano ParkLambada (Fletchling -> Fletchinder)💚 ActivePart 8--Flame BodyNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Sonata
[TR]

10Galant (Herdier)Brooklet HillPart 6Part 714-21Bubble from Totem Araquanid and Bug Bite from Masquerain
11Vaudeville (Alolan Raticate)Brooklet HillPart 3Part 710-21Bug Bite from Masquerain in Totem Araquanid battle
12Aquacrunk (Barboach)Route 7Part 8Part 820-212 Take Downs and an Aqua Jet from Swimmer Dakota's Basculin

Part 9: Sticks and Stones

Oh Wela Volcano Park, what secrets are you hiding in that little cave of yours? What dark secrets are lurking in there that the devs had to cut you from the game?

Holy shit an old man! I want that old man! Game Freeeeeak

But yeah, this is actual official concept art. If you have an afternoon to spend, feel free to view the concept art of pretty much everything gen 7 here. Fun stuff. Anyway, I knew it! I knew there had to be an interior cave section at some point!

Anyway, time to return to less wholesome matters: we're here at the top of the volcano for our trial. Time to casually murder a spooky dancing bone... lizard? Dinosaur? What is Marowak.

Totem Battle: Alolan Marowak

Team Checkup

Strategy

MAROWAK WILL USE DETECT. I know that from the first time I fought him and can't give him the satisfaction of catching me off guard again!

K-pop's Hydro Vortex is my nuke of choice. However, it still leaves a bit of doubt in my mind: do I really need it? An item like a berry or even an Expert Belt might suffice, as Bubble Beam is plenty strong already. But in the end, I'm playing it safe since this is K-pop we're talking about. Also, if I'm right about the turn 1 Detect, then I could give him a setup move of some kind. However, I'm not convinced giving up a move permanently is worth it. All of his moves are irreplaceable and have a good niche, and thinking about it, a turn of setup is neither necessary nor realizable anyway.

Second in command is
Saltarello, who actually sports some excellent moves for this battle. In fact, one of my thoughts was using Thief to steal the Thick Club. However, Salt lacks significant bulk, so I don't think she'd be able to use it effectively. Thus, I'll give her an Expert Belt to take advantage of her great super effective coverage and boost her mediocre offenses.

As for everyone else, they've been given the moves to clean up if necessary. Nothing special.

Begin Battle

Daruk, I thought you were on my side!

As expected, Marowak protects itself on the first turn. Without Work Up, all we can do is twiddle our thumbs.

We'll nail him next turn K-pop, just you wait. Salazzle and Marowak (due to the speed boost) go first, so it's just a matter of surviving both of their attacks...

Hello?! Why did that do 10 million. The devs must have had the biggest shit eating grins on their face when they gave Marowak Brick Break.

Thankfully, we manage to whack the Wak with a single splash of Z-filtered water.

Now then, can we kill Salazzle in one decisive blow? I don't remember how much Venoshock did unfortunately, so let's just assume it'll kill.

Salazzle is frail, and K-pop is in Torrent range. Yet, despite this, I'm not sure if Aqua Jet will completely OHKO it. I can't neglect the fact that Salazzle is a fully evolved pokemon, so relative to this part of the game, it's not that frail. Plus, K-pop has a minus Attack nature, which may or may not make a difference.

I have a really bad feeling if I go for it. I can just feel it in my balls that an Aqua Jet is gonna leave Salazzle barely alive and then it'll be lights out from there.

Off of this gut feeling, which I trust, I'm sending out Saltarello. With no Totem Marowak, hopefully she can do something 1 on 1. However, it is crucial that she is able to take 2 hits from Salazzle, otherwise it would be pointless. But I think she can.

YES that's what I needed to see! Assuming no crits, the fact that this is a 3HKO makes a world of difference. It means we can damage Salazzle, which should allow for an Aqua Jet KO from K-pop later.

I have Hypnosis, but you know what'll happen if I use that. Therefore, let's unleash the power of Expert Belt Psybeam!

That... is not as much as I thought.

Well, you tried, Salt. I appreciate that you managed to hang on after another hit, but it's for the best that we let it happen...

Death #13: Saltarello the Spinda

Cause of Death: 3 Venoshocks from Salazzle in Totem Marowak battle

Level 13-23

Joined in Part 5, Died in Part 9

Parting Words:
You were the biggest surprise of this run so far. I caught you at the tail end of my disastrous days on Melemele Island, back when my pokemon died left and right and I became desperate for a good catch to bring me out of that slump. Thus, when I saw you as my encounter for Ten Carat Hill, the salt took over and I ultimately named you as such. However, throughout Akala Island up to this point, you've proven yourself to be nothing but useful despite your statistical disadvantage. I took back my words when I realized this, and now I can say that I'm glad you had the honor of being the partner of my starter.

But let's be frank, despite your good intentions, your stats would have had you falling behind and becoming a burden on the team the further we got in this game. And believe me, this game doesn't mess around. So I will end this by saying, with no disrespect, that you met your end at a fortunate time and died a hero.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

So I trust that, at this range, Aqua Jet will kill. Torrent, STAB, super-effective, check.

K-pop, avenge her! As PBG would call her, Drunky McPanda didn't die for nothing!

Perfect. Man, who would've thought Aqua Jet would be so vital to the run.

Bleh, we're down 0-3 on deathless totem battles. Maybe some day.

So with that done, K-pop needs himself a new partner. Again. This will be his, let's see here,
first...
second...
third...
fourth... fifth partner. Partner #5. Damn. Don't you hate it when you accidentally start to become Henry VIII?

Now, partner number 5, who could that be? I actually have something in mind. It's a pokemon I mentioned not too long ago. Catching this beast could potentially shift the tides in my favor... or should I say, shift the sands in my favor. Indeed, the pokemon I have in mind could be a true game changer...

Just a spoiler buffer, don't mind me.

Fearsome in both appearance and strength and yet strangely neglected in its debut generation, it's Tyranitar!! Well, baby Tyranitar. Larva Tyranitar. Larvitar.

And holy CHRISTMAS was she a bitch to catch.

So the thing is,
Mariachi and
Concerto are my designated risk takers. They have by far the best bulk and support options on my team. Catching a new pokemon? Mariachi and Concerto. Fighting an unfamiliar trainer I have a bad feeling about? Mariachi and Concerto. Together, nothing can stop them and I love it.

However, it felt pretty close this time, resulting in the relatively low health you see above. After using an Adrenaline Orb to find a female one since the initial encounter was male, what followed was about 10 minutes of sheer terror as a stream of Larvitars came out from the depths of Diglett's Tunnel to Screech at us and flaunt their high-powered Rock Slides as I struggled to break through their low catch rates. Sometimes I felt as overwhelmed as I did when I watched pannenkoek's infamous Watch for Rolling Rocks video. What is it with rolling rocks?

Anyhow, Mariachi and Concerto prevailed at the end. Whew, only you two could have pulled that off. Keep it up and remember to align your QPUs.

Rock n Roll the Larvitar joins the party!

Encounter Location: Diglett's Tunnel

Ability: Guts

Name Origin: A name I've been dying to use for a Rock type pokemon. The "Watch for Rolling Rocks" video I linked above came to mind as well, and it's amusing how fitting "Rock n Roll" is to that.

General Thoughts: Like Sonata the Bagon, I don't think there's much that needs to be said for how I think this pokemon will fare. She'll be a very late bloomer, but when she blooms, it will be glorious. And Ultra Necrozma! Thinking about it, she'd be a very good option for that, Smart Strike be damned.

Current Party:

Pair 1Pair 2Pair 3

New pair: K-pop the Brionne and Rock n Roll the Larvitar

As you know, Rock n Roll has a plethora of weaknesses. However, I do think she and K-pop will have pretty good synergy all things considered. I admit I was mostly thinking in terms of the end game with Primarina and Tyranitar, which shows surprisingly good defensive properties: aside from Grass, they decently cover up each other's weaknesses. In the meantime, I will just have to deal with a merely average type synergy between the two.

Anyway, you know how I was just going on about Mariachi and Concerto's usefulness in catching pokemon? Well, about that...

My route 8 encounter, Yungoos, died to a single crit from Mariachi. Well, like in life, restraint is a tough virtue to learn. It's okay, Mari, at least it was just a Yungoos.

And so we proceed to power our way through Route 8. Although
Salt's loss still hangs in the air, at least it allows us to finally establish ourselves a genuinely solid team!

All of y'all show promise, don't you forget that.

Now then, I've made it to the Route 8 Pokemon Center, where... oh... no...

FORCED TUTORIAL NOOOOOO

N-no more, Game Freak, please, end my suffering.

END Part 9

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
I was wondering why I remember Sonata but not Aquacrunk... now I know why. Magnitude is a risky game.

Where do you get all these cool images for your catches?

R.I.P Salt. You did more than we expected of you.

Uber-Kukui still haunts me...

K-Pop once again takes another wife! Now your team's looking stronger with two pseudos on your team.

pikasphere

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 30, 2019
comment for part 8
I was wondering why I remember Sonata but not Aquacrunk... now I know why. Magnitude is a risky game.

Where do you get all these cool images for your catches?

comment for part 9
R.I.P Salt. You did more than we expected of you.

Uber-Kukui still haunts me...

K-Pop once again takes another wife! Now your team's looking stronger with two pseudos on your team.
The images are from the TCG! I used pokemon's official database here.

Yep, the two pseudos definitely brought me a lot of hope, but of course, gaining new members means someone necessarily has to die in a wedlocke. RIP Salt indeed, she was better than I expected.

StarterK-pop (Popplio -> Brionne)💚 ActivePart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime -> Saltarello -> Rock n Roll
Ten Carat HillSaltarello (Spinda)🖤 DeadPart 5Part 9Own TempoTimid (Spe+/Atk-)K-pop
Paniola TownAquacrunk (Barboach)🖤 DeadPart 8Part 8ObliviousLonely (Atk+/Def-)Sonata
Kala'e BaySonata (Bagon)💚 ActivePart 8--Rock HeadMild (SpA+/Def-)Aquacrunk -> Lambada
Brooklet HillMadrigal (Feebas)🖥 In PC----Swift SwimBrave (Atk+/Spe-)--
Route 6Bubblepop (Igglybuff)🖥 In PC----Cute CharmBold (Def+/Atk-)--
Route 7Bebop (Alolan Diglett)🖥 In PC----Tangling HairNaughty (Atk+/SpD-)--
Wela Volcano ParkLambada (Fletchling -> Fletchinder)💚 ActivePart 8--Flame BodyNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Sonata
Diglett's TunnelRock n Roll (Larvitar)💚 ActivePart 9--GutsImpish (Def+/SpA-)K-pop
Dividing Peak TunnelGo-go (Wimpod)🖥 In PC----Wimp OutDocile (Neutral)--
Route 8Yungoos❌ Uncaptured----------

12Aquacrunk (Barboach)Route 7Part 8Part 820-212 Take Downs and an Aqua Jet from Swimmer Dakota's Basculin
13Saltarello (Spinda)Wela Volcano ParkPart 5Part 913-23Venoshock from Salazzle ally in Totem Marowak battle

Part 10: Resilience

Nothing better than slapping yourself on the forehead when you realize how much of an idiot you were.

In my very first playthrough, like a jackass, I just grabbed the nearest ingredient in Mallow's trial and turned the entire jungle against me, but little did I realize all you had to do was pick the right ingredients to not disturb the pokemon! So luckily, in this playthrough, I finally caught on made sure to pick the right ingredients, so now
Lambada doesn't have to worry about a thing.

Totem Battle: Lurantis

Team Checkup

Strategy

I'm gonna be honest: what could possibly go wrong?

Well, there is something. The one thing that could conceivably be a threat is Kecleon, which knows Ancient Power. Even so, it's a Kecleon, kek. We'll be fine.

Begin Battle

You know what, the player's infamous dead eyes in this scene may actually be appropriate...

Lurantis's best move is X-Scissor!
Part of me is laughing but the other part is crying because why is Bug type so bad.

Gee, I sure hope Comfey is summoned and Lurantis gets burned by Lambada's Flame Body.

Oh look, Comfey is summoned and Lurantis gets burned by Lambada's Flame Body.

You'll never kill me, Lurantis, not when I shift into MAXIMUM inferno OVERDRIVE! HI-YAH!

I knew I should've gotten the turbo.

But then the burn kills Lurantis right after, Lambada eats the Comfey for dessert, and we win. Noice.

Did we actually do it? A whole trial without a death?

Oh Lammy, you warm my cold jaded heart.

Now then, what's next? I'll tell you what's next: the game gets its revenge. I did way too well in that fight, so naturally the game has to slap me back into reality. Things have only just begun, as I'd soon find out.

Close Call #1: What Resistance?

Starring:

Here we have the route 8 kahuna. With a matchup like that,
Rock n Roll should have no problem taking center stage. After all, she resists...

...Flying.

Yeah, this is just a sober reminder for you all that "not very effective" simply means half damage. That's it. Half of a lot is still a lot. I'm glad you tanked it, Rock.

Whew, that was a doozy. I think I need to relax for a bit.

Before we continue south on our way to Kahuna Olivia, I'm just gonna revisit some old locations, maybe see if I missed anything, though I doubt I missed anything impor-

WATER PLEDGE.

GUYS, I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEVER CONSIDERED THIS BEFORE. You can teach your starter a pledge move of its type! For Rowlet and Litten, this doesn't mean much, but for Popplio users, without access to the Scald TM like in Sun & Moon, this is a GODSEND.

K-pop has been getting by with Bubble Beam, which is okay, but he could have been using this off-brand Scald the whole time! Better late than never.

With that done, it's time to continue the stor--ooh look over there.

Here we have a straight-to-PC catch that I think deserves a mention.

True to its difficulty to find and catch, Mareanie-- or rather Toxapex as it'll become-- could prove to be a super valuable pokemon on my team that could give even
Concerto a run for his money. What makes me extra excited is that I've never used or even caught one of these in any playthrough before, let alone a wedlocke!

Of course, I didn't expect catching it to be a cakewalk. Between Corsola's access to Recover, Concerto's weak damage output + limited PP, and the rarity of Mareanie being SOS called, it got pretty scary. However, thankfully Concerto was a trooper and held out long enough for me to get one!

Okay, NOW onto the plot. We make it through Diglett's Tunnel no problem and finally arrive at Konikoni City, where soon thereafter we will fight Kahuna Olivia!

Fortunately, the game throws us a bone at the city: TMs for days and the most valuable item in nuzlocke history, Eviolite! Finally, it looks like we're getting the upper hand! With such great tools at our disposal, I feel like we can overcome anything!

Game: Hold my beer.

Close Call #2: The Great Clamu

Starring:

So this guy can be found in Konikoni City. When you talk to him, he wants you to use a Z-Move in battle. Okay, fair enough. Not knowing what his pokemon were, I figured Fightinium Z on Rock n Roll would be a reasonable lead.

Clamperl comes out. I've made a huge mistake.

K-pop of course had to solo this, and holy fuck was it a nail biter. I didn't know it at the time, but Clamperl had an Eviolite, so it took absolutely nothing from K-pop's Water Pledge.

In return, it had Scald which of course burned K-pop, and each Scald did 10-12 damage. Luckily, I had Leftovers on K-pop, so the burn damage was controlled, but I got genuinely scared for K-pop's life for two reasons: 1) I could only stomach 7-8 Scalds total from Clamperl, and 2) Water Pledge was at least a 10 hit KO.

Miraculously, however, Clamperl's AI was just dumb enough to use Iron Defense a few crucial times, not to mention K-pop's Torrent activated at the end, thus ensuring a close victory. Phew.

I feel like there's a message in there somewhere... something about K-pop not being able to learn Scald yet and being almost killed by it while his Water Pledge does jackshit. Hmm, nah it's nothing.

The wild ride doesn't end there, nope!

Close Call #3: Mind Games

Starring:

Just a normal, run-of-the-mill trainer battle. I mean, yeah, Jolteon is pretty strong, but other than that, this should go by without iss-

--ue.

What the heck happened? Well, let's start from the beginning. I led this battle with
Sonata and
Lambada. Naturally, Sonata took charge. After chipping away at each other's health, Sonata was ready for the finishing blow.

But then, get this, THE TRAINER USES A FULL RESTORE! "Gentleman" Smith you son of a bitch! 😡

So because of this, I decided to go for emergency speed control by using Rock Tomb. Sonata was soon able to outspeed Jolteon, and so they continued to exchange blows until both of their health got in the red. No problem, just one more Crun--

JOLTEON USES QUICK ATTACK. WHO RUNS QUICK ATTACK ON THEIR JOLTEON?!

With that revelation, there was no way I wanted to risk Sonata's life. My thought process was as follows:

Presumably due to the trainer's low level AI, I noticed that Jolteon went for random moves, super effective or not. As a result, it may or may not use Quick Attack again even though it would be the best play to kill me. The implication of this is that, if I switch to Lambada, Jolteon might go for its Thunder Fang due to the random factor.

In short, this guy was so bad at pokemon that I couldn't predict him! Nonetheless, I ended up sending Lambada out.

Alright, let's see what happens.

Okay.

Whew, we are getting ever so closer to Olivia. But wait, we'll throw in another heart attack absolutely free!

Close Call #4: You're Here Forever

Starring:

Alright, I'll give you a few seconds to think about this: which pokemon do you think caused the most trouble? Furfrou? Nope: Comfey, that happy, flowery abomination.

So this time, Rock n Roll is in trouble (once again).

Hmm, but Comfey is weak, isn't it? How could it possibly take Rock n Roll down that low without even being hit itself? Well I'll tell you: HAX. It's always the hax. First turn, it uses Sweet Kiss. Rock n Roll hits herself. Comfey then uses Wrap, trapping Rock and doing chip damage. Rock hits herself again. Wrap does more damage.

Repeat this for literally every turn until Wrap wears off and you get one twisted hell of a time.

*flashbacks to part 1*

But yeah, it took until Rock n Roll got down to a startling 11/65 hp before she was freed and I was able to switch in K-pop, who gladly drowned it into a pulp.

Alright, that's it. Plumeria had nothing on these past battles, so now Kahuna Olivia is all that stands in our way from the great beyond.

And you know what? Despite all of the terror and pain that we experienced, no matter how dicey things got, my team pulled through. Everyone fought back against the odds and demonstrated their tenacious will to live. That is a team I can be proud of. And you know what else? It looks like this experience has changed them in more ways than one:

There you go.

The game may get tougher, but so will we. For the first time, it feels like my team and I are on the same page-- we can survive this challenge yet.

END Part 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)