• The Writer's Locke has returned for its second season! Catch its first episode here, replete with wider distribution, newer storylockes to listen to, and a discussion on the subject of reboots!
  • Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot [UCL3]Punk Rock - An Electric/Poison Duo-type Nuzlocke Extreme.

Thread Description
An Electric/Poison treck through all generations - Johto done, Unova next, 3/8 regions complete.

Megurine Suika

The fool that runs towards the past
Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
Hello, I was not sure what I wanted to do for UCL3, so I RNG'd and the answer was this. So lets go.

A Duo Type challenge is where you play through an entire game using only two types of Pokemon (dual types with at least one of your types and Pokemon who evolve into one of your types are also usable). The chosen types (by RNG) were Electric and Poison. The chosen style was Naturallocke:

Naturallocke: You play with what is available in the game your playing. Choose a type that is fairly common or hope you get lucky. Natural players can do gift replacements if none of the gifts are of your type.

In addition to that, this will also be a nuzlocke extreme, which is Nuzlocke + with an extra twist.

1. Only catch the first Pokemon of your types in each route or area. This also includes Pokemon that will evolve into one of your types. Caves count as one area. All starter Pokemon however count as the area in which you can first nickname them. Some routes based on game have a Pinwheel Forest Clause applied to them. Suggestion: Make a list of Pokemon in your current region that are legit catches and keep it near you while you play
1a. Gift Clause: You may recieve a gift or get a catch of your types in each area/Town/or Cave. You are limited to one gift per area though so you cannot get Eevee and Abra from Goldenrod City if one of your types is Psychic. You may not get one gift or catch per type.
1b. Dupes Clause: You may ingore all Pokemon not of your Types (unless they evolve into your types). You may keep getting encounters until you find a Pokemon you do not already have of one your types. You may not catch any Pokemon that belongs to a evolutionary line you have previously caught (Wurmple exception for Silcoon - Cascoon).
1c. Shiny Clause: Shiny Pokemon may be caught and used regardless of its type. This includes the Red Gyarados in Johto.
1d. HM slaves can be caught and used if none of the Pokemon you own can learn an HM to continue progress. HM slaves have to be released once you catch a Pokemon that can learn this move.

2. Faint =Dead. If it reaches 0 HP, it's dead and must be boxed or released. Regardless of any factor.

3. Nickname all Pokemon, they are your partners and need the love of a name.

4. Games end as follows:
Kanto: Pokemon League Champion
Johto: Johto League Champion
Hoenn: Hoenn League Champion
Sinnoh: Sinnoh League Champion
Black/White: Stop Ghetsis
Black2/White 2: Unovia League Champion
Kalos: Kalos League Champion
Alola: Alolan League Champion
Galar: Complete the Champion Cup and Defeat Leon

5. There is no Rule 5

6. Set Mode: You must enable this and play it for the entire game.

7. Level Limit based on the next leader's Ace or Champion's Ace. Pokemon who exceed this limit may not battle in that gym. Exception, while you cannot go over the limit prior to entering the elite 4, once inside the limit no longer exists. This also counts during Gym leaders battles, if a Pokemon goes over the current limit during the leader battle it is OK and continue to be used.:

8. No EXP share in Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS. Sun and Moon are alright as long as you're careful not to exceed the level limit.

9. Legendary Pokemon are banned from use.

10. No items can be used from the bag other than pokeballs (all types). Held items are still ok to use.

1. Everything up to Surge (This one)
2. Rest of the owl - From Surge to Champion

Different year, same name.

I decided to default the name of the rival

This time I will have a naming scheme! It is 2hu.

Not even close.

Catches! Since I have dupes on, I am guaranteed a weedle in route 2 and a pikachu in the forest. So now I have Wriggle and Tojiko, and a team of 3. Thankfully Kanto has plenty poison types, so I won't be hurting for those, but electric types are less plentyful.

Wasp aquired.

I am not sure if I like sturdy not being a focus sash pre gen 5 or not. Yeah, it is annoying that you cant OHKO the exploding gravelers, but it leads to underwhelming things like this.

New catches! We now have Tenshi (no idea why I named after the last name) and a vampire (named Scarlet to not have to symbolize vampire in general since bat.).

Yuugi is getting closer to completion.

Full team! And will be the team for a while really. Weezing will come in much later, and that is about the one upgrade I am willing to do, barring deaths.

All setup, lets get to beat the rival.

My Pikachu Double Team strat almost failed me.

Minoriko getto. Now I am without catches for a small while.

Ticketo getto.

Look at that belly pattern, it could paralyze anyone.

Misty time, anyone wanna guess my strat?

If you answered "Setup double team 6 times only to get crit'd by swift" you win a cookie, found in your nearest cookie jar.

Misty was otherwise very whelming.

Final forms achieved! Now I wish I had an everstone to stop the infinite cancelled crobat evo, but that is not an option.

Rival is whelming too.

Gym time! I don't really have a plan, didn't even teach one of my mons Dig.

What happened was that Houjuu outsped voltorb and flinched it for a clean 2HKO, pikachu also got 2 shot, this time without flinches but all it did was double team, then raichu used shockwave and attacks and was kinda annoying to take down, but I still had Yuugi on the backlines to take care of things if needed.

Anyway, that is all for today's update, next time more stuff.

Last edited:

0 Anonymous

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Elec/Poison is a really cool duo typing, already your team is looking really unique!
Ground is going to be pretty scary so I'm a lil' worried about like Giovanni and the explodey 'mons since your team is a lil' frail, but I think you'll be okay!

GL with Rock Tunnel and Celadon!

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ooh, this is an interesting challenge and a good start.

good luck
Thanks. Kanto at least shouldn't be much of a problem, if nothing else for familiarity.

Elec/Poison is a really cool duo typing, already your team is looking really unique!
Ground is going to be pretty scary so I'm a lil' worried about like Giovanni and the explodey 'mons since your team is a lil' frail, but I think you'll be okay!

GL with Rock Tunnel and Celadon!
For Giovanni, I can teach surf to stuff (for reference, even rhydon can learn surf, gen 1 mons have wack learnsets) and that should be doable, but other ground types down the line will be tough. May or may not wipe at Unova when excadrill start showing up.

Route 10 catch, Reimu because what else to name a orb that is red and white.

The one reason to go into rock tunnel. Gave it to Houjuu because snake needs every help it can get.

Rival was good practice, but the more I play, the more underwhelmed by Arbok I am.

Tojiko evolved, and now will never learn another move by level up or relearner again.

Time to smash Erika.

Yep.

Afterwards, at Rocket Hideout, I had a close shave.

Cool, can you give me the goods?

Thanks.

Purple ghost is purple.

Kanto is dark.

"It makes such an awful sound, I am not even sure why I have the thing."

Anyway I have brick break acess, So snorlax go to the mountains.

Route 12 catch, Nightbug.

Yuugi has achieved godmode, which means "1 attack, leech seed double powder". Thinking back, naming a gen 3 venusaur as Yuugi is not the best name.

Yes indeed.

Feels bad when there is no reward.

Time to raid a company for XP.

Gotta love the rival just chilling going to ambush you. Rivals in later gens, take notes.

Also, not being phazed on defeat, that one is good too.

I just setup leech seed and sleep on his mons. It went well.

Can you give me a job? Cant teach classes ATM.

That works I guess...

Pre-Koga shot.

I used dig against koffing on accident due to too much speedup, but it worked out well.

I was underleveled due to the level cap being the same to sabrina, so it was fine.

Safari zone catch! I am pretty sure in platinum I will stick to 2hu names, but will not bother to make them related to the mon.

Teaching Tenshi how to surf so I can catch a tentacool.

This is said tenta.

Time for Sabrina. Strategy is to press shadow ball.

I also did that thing where my mon is almost overleveled so it levels during battle for the extra power.

The strat for alakazam is: Rock tomb so I outspeed, then shadow ball for the finisher. I also have megahorn, but not gambling on the accuracy. I EV trained to have enough bulk to be able to survive a psychic.

And then I learned gym leaders in gen 3 kanto have 0 IVs and EVs, so I could have just shadowballed, since I outspeed naturally.

Now all that is left is venomoth.

Sabrina clapped. Next up, grinding up a tentacool, because Wriggle hit that point of the game where it is less than useful.

Now, if you excuse me, I will go look for a 1% encounter in celadon water, which is koffing.

But before that, a distraction.

I will not be using it, trying to keep the challenge clean, plus I am already grinding one water type.

Smog is the best Medicine.

We ready for blaine.

Pre-blaine shot, all that I will do is press surf.

Surfed.

No sidequests for me, have fun on your own.

Giovanni time! The strategy is, once again, press surf.

Yes, very intense, everything got OHKO'd by surf. Truly a masterpiece for the ages.

I grinded up for rival, because level 53 charizard could be scary. It led to the battle being very underwhelming.

Elite 4 time.

Lorelei is a thunderbolt test.

I passed.

Bruno is a surf test, and I passed as well.

Agatha is a shadow ball test.

As it turns out, gengar are not cleanly OHKO'd by shadow ball, and hypnosis+nightmare can be problematic. I still won, but was close.

Dragon time!

I started with Nitori, but TTK was too damn high, so I switched up to Tojiko to finish the job. Hyperbeam can be nasty on the AI.

Now back to our scheduled dragon slaying.

Freeze, it is the law! Altough aerodactyl outsped, so that was scary.

Time to end this.

I really wish if you fully wiped to the champion here, the game had an alternate ending.

Bird is gone in a second.

A crit as Yuugi switches in, but nothing they can't handle. Next.

And then the AI uses future sight because it hates winning.

Case in point: Psychic is a 2hko on my whole team at worst, and it outspeeds my whole team, so it could have very easily fucked me up if it used it as I switch in instead of future sight.

Future sight, meanwhile, is not a 2hko with psychic. AI!

Tojiko still the gyarados slayer.

Time to get washed away.

It IS fair. That is why you are mad.

Kanto is done, and deathless! Next up, Platinum.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon

Since I am doing this in release order, next up is Platinum.

Obligatory Suika. Also, I am defaulting the rivals name to when you choose to not type a name in.

Starter is chimchar.

Wait, that is not what chimchar looks like.

Even piplup is confused, maybe we need to ask the professor what happened.

"So your chimchar turned into a chinchou. That is very unusual."

Anyway, I will stick to 2hu names, but I won't bother looking for "fitting" names.

"Since your pokemon seems to be broken, have a pokedex and try to guess what it will evolve into." (For reference, I just use changed the starter into a chinchou to have a starter, as per gift replacement. Everything else is running the joke into the ground.)

Settings on, lets go!

...I have an adamant illuminate chinchou for a starter. Life is pain.

Shinx is the only legal catch of the first 3 routes. It has intimidate so that is nice.

I can only have 2 catches up to here, give me a break.

Ravaged path catch, this means I have either budew or wrumple in route 204.

204 is budew! This is as many as I get for now.

Looker, why do you do this? Why not just let me go, I have things to do.

I decide to grind up before going with the plot, if no one can find bidoofs or starlies in route 201, you know why.

I have 2 electric types and a grass all grinded up, what did you expect?

I need something for rock smash, because as is, nothing on my team can learn it.

I also need roselia to reliably beat Roarke, due to my budew being cursed with very low speed and a -sp.atk nature.

Pre-Roarke shot.

Well, that was uneventful. Setup growth while geodude stealth rocks, then OHKO everything. Roselia is broken for this early gym.

That is it for Roarke, next up should be up to Gardenia, but who knows.

Honey Badger

Member Title
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
how could prof. rowan be confused, that is clearly a chimchou... or is it chinchar?

once again, good luck

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
how could prof. rowan be confused, that is clearly a chimchou... or is it chinchar?

once again, good luck
I will take good luck now if I can, adamant illuminate chinchou is... less than ideal.

5:37, perfect time to play some pokemon!

I wonder if at some point the evil team members will have names. They exist beyond being grunts right?

Sorry girl, I have to do 6 other regions, I don't have time for every little plot point.

Right, railroads.

I am showing I beat this guy for one reason only.

He almost killed one of my mons because I didn't want to swap out when asleep. Good job Galactic Grunt.

I got a pachirisu, but its ability is run away. And here I thought a pickup mon would be nice.

I also grinded to 16 just to be safe, so evolutions began.

I know that back in kanto a lot of people missed the grunt dropping the key, but it felt better than being just handed it over after you beat the guys.

Mars is surprisingly doable. Intimidate does wonders. That being said, the Galactic Commanders having a single evolved mon so early always feel weird. Like yeah, they get brozor and golbat later, but when your team begins with a purugly, and ends with the same purugly, just with more levels, it ends up being really strong when all the player has is first stage mons, and worthless when the player has a garchomp later on. Sure, maybe no team will stand for the chomp, but having more than 3 mons, 2 of which are not evolved would make it a bit better. Pokemon balance is so over the place.

Well, at least the game doesn't try to give you a yes-no question for you to be unable to choose no, just have a tag along.

This was literally first encounter. Now I have a ghost, that I need to actually use because gengar can learn rock smash.

"It felt like we spent hours walking back and forth on a line, I thought I had died and was in some sort of hell." - Cheryl
In my defense, I had to grind a Pachirisu by mainly using bide for a long time, so when I remembered that gastly is in a similar boat with curse, I had to use Cheryl to actually grind in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, I funneled all trainer exp into Flandre so I can get a golbat for Gardenia. Cant go all the way with crobat because it needs level 23 minimun, and the cap for Gardenia is 22.

Anyway, time to press wing attack.

I had to press things other than wing attack because turtwig was not OHKO'd and setup reflect, so I had to stall it out with confuse ray and bite so reflect was not up when cherrim came out. Also, both cherrim and roserade where not OHKO'd by wing attack, so I had to use it 6 times, 2 for each mon. Either way, victory aquired.

And with that, I have bat. I may do a bat count at some point, if I can get a bat to e4 consistently.

That they do gym hype guy, that they do.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon

The odds of the honey tree in Floarama Meadow being a munchlax tree and rolling a munchlax on first try is 1/1400. Unfortunately, my only allowed catch from honey trees are wurmple.

I did get rotom, so there is that.

Jupiter time!

Leech seed + Intimidate to beat Jupiter. I have been rekt by this fight too many times, so it always feels nice to win cleanly.

Anyway I now have a rock smashing gengar, and HM Slave is officially free.

Fantina time!

The start is uneventful, I setup charge a couple times and go for the kill.

Mismagius was just a matter of biting twice, but the sp.def drop from the first shadow ball made things closer. Thankfully I had the foresight to give an oran berry to Yachie, or things might have ended poorly.

Rival is once again underwhelming.

Lanturn aquired! Now I have enough bulk to shake a stick at.

I also got luxray, so now I have my favourite electric type too.

My secret strategy to beat Maylene consist into getting gengar to 33 by beating her medidite, then learn shadow ball and sweep.

Step one complete, now to sweep.

Machoke goes down, but I had completely forgotten pre-gen 6 steel resisted ghost, so I need to activate plan B.

B stands for bat.

Could have been better, but a lucario with ground coverage not resulting in any deaths is a win in my book.

How bad do you have to be to get shit stolen by team galactic like this.

I had never talked to footprint guy before, seems nice. Hopefully me and Yachie go all the way.

Rival: Whelmed.

Now Flandre has achieved ultimate power.

Catches for 212 and trophy garden.

Wake time! My plan is to use stockpile 3 times, then sweep, swallowing as necessary.

The plan worked perfectly, altough killing quagsire by spamming bubblebeam took forever.

Anyway, the plot finaly caught up and it is time for some light terrorism sponsored by Team Galactic.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon

There was no choice to not use it, for good or ill.

I like how the elder is just casually saying "There is this guy that wants to nuke our town." like it is no big deal.

Really dislike this take. As is, we know that there are wars in pokemon world, which is pretty telling when pokemon themselves can relatively easily break all laws of physics to create infinite resources. Yeah, destroying everything to create a world on Cyrus' image might not be the solution, but going on about how the world is fine is just ignoring the problem because it doesnt affects you personaly is less than ideal.

Because there is no way forward besides fighting you. I would like to sit down and hear you telling me about everything you dislike in the world, maybe we would find some common ground, but alas.

Hearing your hype song will have to be enough.

Ah yes, my prowess of mashing spark over and over again.

Anyway, now I have surf so I can have a catch.

And another one too.

Sure "a bit" better. It is not as if I won 6-0 again or anything.

I was told one of the books talked about fish pokemon bones becoming pokemon again when thrown in the river, but there is nothing of the sort here.

Anyway, in Iron Island, I said no to a gift just to be forced to say yes then told to make an empty spot on my party to get it. I can't use lucario anyway, so it will stay there short of me full wiping.

Aunn achieved their final form. A shame they don't seem to pull their weight.

Anyway, Byron time!

I stockpiled 3 times and magneton metal sound'd 3 times. Still tanked a thunderbolt, but it is a 2hko on magnaton and I am faster, so it should be fine.

Steelix is a OHKO, and swallow to full makes bastiodon a breeze, since it lacks firepower to actually kill a fish.

Well, this was closer than it should be, but a win is a win.

Sure thing Pearl, hopefully no one blows up a bomb that is strong enough to be felt all over the region and realistically would have catastrophic consequences.

Goddamit.

Hello, would you like to make a donation to the "Protect the lakes" fund? It is tax deductible.

It was harder than I expected. Need better team.

Yeah, this is not really working, is it? I lack raw power and switches.

Time to go to snow.

I am surprised she survived the cold. It is not as if she is flat out immune, and being barefoot and lightly dressed on a blizzard is pretty harsh.

I am always ready to lose.

Didn't lose, but my current team is underwhelming. Plus, I can't use rock climb, so I have some grinding to do.

Using gift replacement to turn togepi into elekid.

Dropping roserade and pachirisu for elekid and croagunk. Now to grind.

Honey Badger

Member Title
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
not bad for an adamant illuminate lanturn.

all these close calls though... are you nervous at all?

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
not bad for an adamant illuminate lanturn.

all these close calls though... are you nervous at all?
It is the best adamant illuminate lanturn in the universe.

As for close calls, they are not as close as they look like. For Cyrus, most of the damage was a crit poison fang that also poisoned after sneasel used screech. Only thing left after was murkrow, that is outsped OHKO and I can heal the poison after the battle, so it is fine. Saturn and Mars were a product of "I can't be assed to make a strategy so I will just go face and brute force the win" and they also both got crits.

Byron was a mistake, I should have stockpiled to 1, and when I noticed the ai wanted to metal sound, go for the 2hko even with just 1 stockpile. Then I don't need to swallow anyway because nothing besides magneton is a threat.

As for being nervous, not really. All it shows me is that my current team is lacking in some aspects, hence the rebuilding, which here means "have something other than gengar that breaks 200 on the attacking stat".

Ever since gen 2, pokemon does this thing where they give character development to the rival because they really want to do plot, but also really want to have a blank slate mute protagonist, so it ends with scenes like this, where the NPCs are talking and I am sitting here wondering why should I care? I mean, all Pearl does is run around and claim to be tough, I don't hate him but I don't care to listen to his character development either.

"Hello child. I never saw you do anything but would you like to raid this criminal organization bent on rewriting the universe?" -International Police

I don't think "free" means what you think it means.

Why do people like "How do I emotions?" plot so much? I get it, he is supposed to be misguided, but still come on.

Crit bite turn 1 along with thunderbolt rolling min damage. Just what you like to see.

Too close again.

Saturn was less close, but I will take it.

Exploding gravelers are bad for your health. Also, this special toxicroak thing is not working well.

Time for the double battle.

She is "Sheesh"ing because I only used surf and discharged, which meant Pearl mons all died.

Find someone that smiles at you like giratina smiles at Cyrus.

I am sorry Cyrus, I will have to cut your date short, giratina is my ride back and I am getting sleepy.

Houndoom is a clear 2hko, but it is faster than the fish, so it is too low to deal with anything else.

With intimidate and berry, Yachie can tank 2 EQs from gyarados to OHKO back.

Choice Specs Vacuum Wave to OHKO the weavile, and everything else should be easy.

Easy enough, quick attack because thunderpunch was not a OHKO, and crobat was faster, while abusing the AI heal algorythm.

Okay giratina, get in the car, next stop all the berry fields that grew while I was here.

I am not 100% sure why everyone is always saying they are "tough". Yeah, it is a synonim for strenght, but it always sounds like a schoolyard thing. With the rival sure, he is a kid alright, but everyone else just feels very awkward. Is that just me?

Am I the only one that thought Volkner was Pearl's father at the beginning? The contrast between "Hyper and wants to get strong" and "Apatethic because got too strong" felt like a connection to me when I first played it.

Anyway, I pressed EQ 5 times, and quick attack once.

Volkner also likes taking a beating.

Anyway, now I have a set of shiny badges, time for the pre-league grind.

The level cap for the league is 62, so I get everyone to 60 before taking on victory road. I don't know why I never thought of that before, but grinding before victory road so you have the EVs and levels over the trainers there seems to be the play. You will need some grinding before E4 anyway, this way you get it over with sooner.

It does make everything before E4 a breeze, for good or ill.

I did end using all rare candies to get everyone to 62 because all fights didn't give enough XP, so there is that. Anyway, time to fight bug boi.

Begining is okay, but being unable to 2HKO someone 9 levels down is kinda underwhelming, even if sitrus berry and low rolls were what made a 2hko not possible.

Nasty Plot hits the spot however.

4hp was close. I can say with confidence that nasty plot vacuum wave toxicroak is not the play. Will go for a physical version if I do raise another.

Anyway, ground time! Everyone get your berries before we go.

Zen Headbutt crit with sandstorm damage for 2 turns didn't do that much, thanks payapa. (The turns went sandstorm while I fly up, crit z-headbut after I fly down since I am faster, then I wing attack for the kill here.)

Golems are too tanky to be OHKO'd by a non-stab EQ it seems. Needed 2, and had to eat the berry.

253 sp.atk coming through.

In the end the adamant lanturn is the only one I can trust to do business.

Anyone want to take guesses on how this one goes?

Earthquake. That is all.

Lucian time!

Shadow ball is not enough to clean sweep, where is a choice scarf when you need it?

Electivire is surprisingly solid. At least against those squisher teams.

Time for Cynthia! The end is near.

Oh. So that is how this will be going huh?

Everything OHKO'd?

And of course togekiss can tank a thunderpunch. A crit one took down spiritomb, but I guess togekiss is just too tanky.

Yeah, all Cynthia got in was a lone aura sphere. Electivire really surprised me here.

We champions!

Honey Badger

Member Title
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
i feel kinda silly for never wondering if pearl and volkner were related

but you sure made the latter proud with that impressive e4 run.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
i feel kinda silly for never wondering if pearl and volkner were related

but you sure made the latter proud with that impressive e4 run.
I have this idea for a story that makes Volkner the parent of both the player character and the rival that I came up way back when I first played Sinnoh, but it is too dark and my artistic skills are subpar, so I always put it off. Maybe I should get to it someday.

And I would take credit for the e4 run, but it was all electivire. Never underestimating one again.

Give Suika.

Obligatory. My signature in-game is better than my handwriting.

Komachi getto!

Modest is such a good nature when I get to Goldenrod. Before, that I am rocking all physical attacks.

Zooming.

Fun fact, I rng which starter I would replace and the result was cyndaquil.

So I will have fun once I get electric STAB going on here.

We never hear of the policeman again. My headcannon is that he did find Soul, but it got messy. It is not as if Soul is low profile, and he never gets arrrested so.

Route 30 catch is the obligatory spidew. Nature is less than ideal.

Route 31 and Dark Cave catches. I wonder if I should go for a zubat in every gen for the memes, or just start blacklisting it unless in a wipe, but for johto at least I will go brobat. (also )

Only viable catch here since I am doing HG, which makes the catches I got so far the only catches allowed.

It means I am allowed a mareep egg in Violet city.

You mean, thundershocking the hoothoot and having 2 4x resists for the bellsprouts? Yeah that was elegant.

Wait, that is not a mareep! I got scammed.

Once again I get a moth and once again Wriggle was taken. Nightbug will have to do. It will still be quite powerful once it fully evolves at level... 31? Well that is Chuck so it is good enough. Tilted lens is super nice.

I am always partial to miltank yes.

Grind done after literally hours for the first gym #Johto things.

Oh no, he has missingno! The bird will destroy us all.

First bird is shocked.

Second bird is shocked. Falkner is too easy for the sheep.

It is flying pokemon dude, you had no missingno.

Anyway that is it for today, next time I will try and do a bit longer.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon

I really wish this roadblock would go away here. in gen 2, forcing you to get the egg made sense, since you would then learn about eggs and breeding before getting to the day care, but by gen 4, forcing it onto you just because it has extrasensory kinda sucks. Just have you be able to ignore the call and the aid to wait for you there till the heat death of the universe.

The egg is illegal, so it will stay in the egg box.

Sprout tower catch. I won't be using, but still.

Ran is now one step closer to enlightment.

Illex catch. In a way, a duo-type locke is a lot more boring than I expected, because you can only have 1 possible catch on some areas, and none in a lot of them.

Anyway, rockets are a non-issue, so Bugsy tiem.

It was underwhelming, which is good since crit quick attack is a clean OHKO in my whole team. And people say supersonic is not broken smh my head.

Zubat wing attack is so weak. I would really be screwed if the scyther got even a single attack in, wouldn't I? Maybe I should have lead with flaafy, thundershock is still super effective, and it is a 2nd stage rather than 1st stage. Either way, badge got.

The limbed and headead machine of pain and undignified suffering is firing up again. It wants to walk the desert.

I would complain about the ai using spite instead of a damaging move, but then I remembered it probably is the best move gastly has by that level.

Keep telling yourself that.

Come on, don't hate yourself like that.

I am not even sure why I learned headbutt, but then again Manectric only has 2 moves, thunderbolt and flamethrower.

Obligatory catches. Only ones I am allowed to get on those routes, altough in a twist of fate, both were the first encounters. I am liking my team so far, so maybe I won't switch anyone.

And then I remembered Whitney is next, and I have nothing that can hit it super effectively or resist normal, so I added nidorina to the team, due to double kick and that I used a nidoking already. Also my nido-male has rivalry, while my female has poison point, so the choice was more obvious.

But uh, while leveling I accidentaly overleveled my flaafy, so it will be boxed for Whitney.

No time like the present I guess. Whitney going down, or full wiping me.

Clefairy wasted its only turn on mimic, and I once again use the "almost over the cap" trick to fight miltank from a level advantage.

In a twist of fate, miltank uses stomp twice, and not only do I not flinch, poison point procs twice, so the second one sticks.

This is where tactics come in, and by tactics I mean I blunder. I switch to Nightbug so that poison brings miltank into the healing threshold, so then I can switch back to Keiki for free, then double kick. Instead, I should have went for the double kick, then double kicked again if it didn't kill since it would heal, THEN switch to someone else. Not my brighest moment.

The end result is that miltank can use milk drink to make it so nothing on my team can kill it and then full wipe me.

But it decides to roll instead, so I win. New drinking game, take a shot everytime the AI bails me out with bad decisions.

Don't cry for things you had complete control over but choose poorly. Just give me my badge.

Thanks.

And that concludes this update, next up, grinding all the coins so I can afford all the TMs I will need. Also pokeathlon for a moon stone.

Honey Badger

Member Title
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
huh, i guess supersonic isn't so bad after all...

maybe whitney's mad because she wants to be good at touhoumon?

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon
huh, i guess supersonic isn't so bad after all...

maybe whitney's mad because she wants to be good at touhoumon?
Supersonic is amazing! 11/40 of the time, it works everytime.

As for Whitney... more on that later.

I fucking hate pokeathlon. But it is done. I feel I need nidoqueen for sudowoodo.

Bug catching contest catch! And a berry, which is frankly what I wanted, early sitrus good.

It sure was random NPC.

Surf getto.

Burned tower catch. I wonder why burned buildings seem to house so many poison types, do they like how the burnt wood feels?

Soul was an easy fight. Not much to say, bolt beam doublekick nidoqueen is too much this early.

Also a dog sniffed me.

Nani?

This is their final form actually.

One last catch before Morty.

Not pictured: I fought every trainer I could so I didn't need to grind for morty.

Start of the battle I bite things, and things die or flinch.

But then I get put to sleep, and since I don't have a chesto, I need to switch, so I go with my backup plan.

Which is sneaking with the spider.

It works, so now I can retire her for venonat in peace.

With Morty beaten, I now have acess to even more trainers so I can sidequest harder before beating gyms.

But before that, you earned your retirement Wriggle, now Nightbug will take your pace while you chill in the box.

It also means I can get a tentacool in a route where that is the only thing I can get. In my case it was route 34.

But before that, our daily bitching abou roadblocks! Why is this roadblock here a thing? I get it from a meta perspective to not break the sequence more than it normal (gyms 5-7 are in any order you want), but the execution sucks. There is just a random asshole blocking the path forward and saying "go sightseeing, I am not allowing you past here". Just make it so you need, I don't know, whirpool to enter the ice cave, and have it be a reward from the director after saving the radio tower, so you are still not allowed into blackthorn, but the block be natural instead of the game rubbing your lack of choice in your face.

Anyway, I am killing gyarados and stuff I guess.

Also beating up rockets.

Like so.

And getting unstable bombs.

Now, I have both victreebel and venomoth that can use this. Venomoth uses it well because of Tinted Lens, victreebel needs it to have a decent STAB before level 47. For now it stays in the bag.

Anyway I saved the cow and now can milk those.

Everyone is now fully evolved. Next up, Chuck!

I have been throughly whelmed. I never thought pressing psybeam multiple times could be so effective.

Now, time for Pryce!

Once again, a sweep, but this time underleveled.

Before taking on Jasmine, I decide to grab a snek at the safari zone.

I also do some EV grinding, and am now ready to rumble.

Lets do this.

Once again whelmed. But then again, Dig + Surf, not much to do.

Tower time!

One down.

Two down.

Three down. I didn't even take a picture of Proton defeat.

Four down.

Five down. None of the fights were worth telling. It was mostly me going face and them caving. Houndoom got confused and didn't even get to attack, just kept hitting themselves.

I didn't even heal between Ariana and Archer, it was just meh.

Now, onto blackthorn.

My plan for clair is specs signal beam.

Now, due to sheer luck gyarados doesn't get a move in because signal beam confused and it hit itself (1/20 chance), dragonair got a move in and paralyzed me.

And then I got full paralyzed, and now don't really have a good answer to kingdra. It can 2hko most of my team with hydro pump, but that is only 5pp, so there is some leeway. At the very least, it is not full wipe bait.

That was 1 thunderbolt vs dragonpulse+hydro pump. Now hydro pump only has 3pp, and I have 4 healthy mons.

Okay, that was 1 hydro pump. Here, I decide to sack Remilia for confuse ray. Then I have a 50% chance of getting a free turn, can get a mon in for free, and hopefully deal enough damage to win.

What I didn't expect was for it to hit itself, then miss hydro pump, then for me to get a crit. Counting the early signal beam shenanigan, this lands into a 1/1600 chance for me to not lose anything to Clair.

Clair thinks she has a chance without kingdra.

She doesnt. Aqua tail is not even a 2hko.

It was close, but in the end dumb luck came through.

Okay, lets take a look at the gym leaders, and their characters.
Falkner: Fights with his father's prized bird pokemon.
Bugsy: Is researching bug-type pokemons to become an authority on them.
Whitney: Doesn't know what apricorns are, or at least not the name. Cries upon losing, needs to calm down to give you badge.
Morty: Wants to be the chosen one that will bring Ho-oh/Lugia back. Upon defeat, acknowledges you are the chosen one.
Chuck: Trains 24/7 under a waterfall, even thought it has nothing to do with pokemon. Vows to train harder upon losing.
Jasmine: Is tending to a sick pokemon. Needs someone else to get the medicine.
Pryce: Super old dude that trains since his youth. Is happy to see a trainer that will withstand anythin life throws at them.
Clair: Throws a temper tauntrum upon losing, is told to git gud and give the badge by the elder.

So, for males we have one guy that holds tradition, a researcher, someone that upon defeat acknowledges you, a muscle head, and the old guy that is happy to see youth.
For females we have someone that cries and is told to be dumb and pretty, someone that is caring for the sick but still can't get things done by themselves, and someone that doesn't acknowledges you upon defeat, and get told by the elder to acknowledge you.

The aesop here is that if you look at the pokemon series in general as an inspiration for life, you may end up with a very distorted vision of gender.

But anyway, Ho-oh time. Or at least, it will be once I figure out how to beat it, because my almost full special attacking team is not cuting through that 154 base spd.def.

Megurine Suika

Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 7, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dragon

I went EV grinding. Pretend this is all my mons, my cat ate the other pictures.

I have a plan to beat Ho-oh. With a focus sash, I can live a sacred fire and get off sleep powder, and there is a 50% chance I survive. I would use a berry, but mom bought me 30 chople berries and 35 chilan berries instead.

Or it could use fire blast and miss instead. That also works.

And then it slept while I 2hko'd it with thunderbolt. I didn't even need to put it to sleep if thunderbolt was a 2hko, I overestimated its 154 sp.def stat.

"We waited our whole lives for this moment, but I guess it is fine." -Kimono Girls

Next up, victory road, because all the trainers leading up to it where underwhelming due to being underleveled.

My bat can bark. That sure is a mood.

I met this guy on the way.

He was cake.

After grinding everyone to 50, it is e4 time!

I pressed signal beam with a choice specs and OHKO'd everything Lucian had.

Koga was a similar story. Between thunderbolt and flamethrower, I could oneshot anything but muk. Muk's move was toxic that missed, crobat was faster but used double team instead of attacking.

Everything sans Machamp was OHKO'd by psybeam (even onix, what is sp.def?), and machamp's rockslide didn't OHKO me either, so another sweep to Nightbug.

Time to fight Karen. I am particularly worried about her nasty plot houndoom. I don't have a plan, since her team is varied enough I can't have only one mon sweep, but we will see.

Focus blast wasnt a OHKO because what is umbreon, but the lower defense made signal beam reliably kill it. I got paralyzed when it attacked me, got paralyzed by static, then sychronyze paralyzed me. Lost 2 turns to paralyze.

Make that 3. I got whirlwinded, then switched into a pluck and outsped OHKO with thunderbolt.

Houndoom down, so the rest should be cake for Remilia.

Gengar hit me on the switch with... focus blast? Ah right, there is no shadow ball here, just lick. Nice design.

Vileplume got a move in. It was stun spore that missed. Lots of misses today.

It is time for Lance. I have a plan.

The plan being BoltBeam nido. I gave it enough EVs to outspeed a neutra natured lv50 dragonite, and enough EV to OHKO it with ice beam (needed a nevermelt ice to make it a sure thing), so I can reasonably OHKO 4 of his team with that, and should have enough health to finish the other 2.

And then I learned a very important fact: Lance's 2 dragonites that don't have outrage are not neutral natured on speed. They have positive natures, so they outspeed me. If that blizzard hit, I would have had to rely on my backup plan, which is HP Ice 66 ampharos.

The main dragonite is still slower. Dragon rush hits me hard, but I don't get flinched so I get the 4 OHKO's. All left is charizard and aerodactyl, but I think I have enough health to end them still.

Not enough health for aero, so not a clean sweep.

Static paralyzing on switch-in was the icing on the cake.

It is.

Johto done. Next up is White 2 challenge mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)