• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Log [UCL2] [Normal Monolocke] insert normal unova run joke here

Thread Description
fuck sinnoh

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is inconcievably cute. It tries to intimidate its foes with its long, luscious locks, but to little avail.
hi i'm shark! also known as cleffachi! and i'm a busy college student, which means i 100% dont have the time to do this, right?

fuck it idc

anyways, this is gonna be a set of written logs because i am playing most, if not all, the games i have on cart, and am also bad at taking screenshots, so you're just gonna be reading logs of stuff.
this first run is gonna be of gen 1 since ive never beaten a gen 1 game before, and i have both red and blue on 3ds vc. fun, huh? :)
uh.

i'm incredibly bad at intros, let's get to the rules
1. Only catch the first Pokemon of your type in each route or area. This also includes Pokemon that will evolve into your type. Caves count as one area. Suggestion: Make a list of Pokemon in your current region that are legit catches and keep it near you while you play
1a. Gift Clause: You may receive a gift and get a catch of your type in each area/Town/or Cave. You are limited to one gift per area though so you cannot get Eevee and Abra from Goldenrod City if your type is Psychic
1b. Dupes Clause: You may ignore all Pokemon not of your Type (unless they evolve into your type). You may keep getting encounters until you find a Pokemon you do not already have of your type. You may catch dupes if you desire (to use or hold as backups)
To add onto this one a lil bit further: i MAY NOT catch dupes if there's a non-dupe available to me on that route.
1c. Shiny Clause: if a shiny pokemon somehow spawns in pokemon blue version i snap my 3ds in half, abandon the forums, and live a life of modesty and fear in the virginia countryside. In any other game i can catch shinies regardless of other catch rules but im gonna go against the grain and say that im not gonna use an offtype shiny ever unless i rlly like it or rlly need it

2. Faint = Dead

3. Nickname all the Pokemon

4. Run ends at Hall of Fame for like every game but i can't wrong warp there. i think black and white ucl rules say u end after beating n but i cannot for the love of god remember so uh. yeah those rules are law.

5. Stormer's suggested level limits will only be used for Kanto, in every other region i'll do as i see fit but usually stick to capping levels at the leader's ace.
Red/Blue
Brock: 14
Misty: 21
Lt. Surge: 24
Erika: 29
Sabrina/Koga: 43
Blaine: 47
Giovanni: 50
Pokemon League: 65

7. im not using regigigas ever and you cant make me

6. Kanto sucks, every other region is cool

Kanto sucks let's do this

i really do mean what i said in the update title. no forest.

anyways, i booted up pokemon blue on my pokemon themed new nintendo 2ds with a useless yet satisfying button on the back of the screen, and found i had no save file. thats why im doing this to begin with. i wonder why i never tried this game before /s

i'm named (.-.)
yes, exactly like that. that's how i feel about gen 1, and also how i feel about being forced to play as a guy.
rival is named Lamer because i'm a gamer and he's a lamer.

here come the important bits: what the fuck do i do for a starter im on cart
well, the answer is that i start the run at getting a mon on route 1. in the meantime, i pick bulbasaur.
"but wait, then you have to fight the rival's charmander/meleon/izard" yeah that was intentional, blastoise is a chunky motherfucker and while in retrospect venusaur would have been free it can also status the shit out of me and i dislike that. still shoulda picked squirtle, probably. oh well.

nobody cares about the first rival fight i won (barely) theres no normal types yet GO GO GO

ok. first catch? route 1? my starter?
Bird the Pidgey. pidgey looks wack in this game, but i better get used to it seeing how many there are huh. anyways this is gonna be my bulkiest mon until after brock. hopefully ill get something bulkier after. gust is normal type too thats fucking wack

anyways im a genius so i next went to route two to catch Rat the Rattata. Obligatory, and also guarantees spearow. I want spearow. anyways now is where i mention rat has the cutest goddamn backsprite and also statistically is worse than spearow in every way.

Route 22 catch is Peck the Spearow. Strong and fast, and has a non normal move :0
sand attack doesnt count

also i found 3 nidoran male before this, thats 3 5% encounters before a 10% kanto sucks

nows a good time to mention that viridian mart doesnt sell potions. actually what the dick. why. why. why.

anyways i ground everyone to level 9, rat learned quick attack, bird learned sand attack and became god, peck learned leer.

i then promptly sand attacked the shit out of my rival's pidgey and asserted dominance with bird, and then pecked his charmander into oblivion. rat sat on the sidelines and looked cute.

next time ill go into the forest. maybe.

ill post the next update when im done grinding for brock. i know this is short but my bus comes in 5 mins and i need to go.

anyways bye

Last edited:

surfe

I am SHOPKEEP. I desire ALL RUBLES.
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
hi
Ooh, normal! Enjoy using that pink blob Pokemon, and that physical bird Pokemon, and... nope those are all the normal types in Kanto.

I love your naming scheme. The safari zone should make it a lot easier to get a cool mon in a normal monotype...

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Normal type mono run, huh? Don't think I've ever seen that before. Should be interesting, Normal is one of the most abundant types in the series in general. I'm not too big a fan of gen 1, but the eventual Persian (which I'm assuming Meowth are available here?) should score you some nice crits if I'm understanding crit mechanics from back then correctly.

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is inconcievably cute. It tries to intimidate its foes with its long, luscious locks, but to little avail.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ooh, normal! Enjoy using that pink blob Pokemon, and that physical bird Pokemon, and... nope those are all the normal types in Kanto.

I love your naming scheme. The safari zone should make it a lot easier to get a cool mon in a normal monotype...
yeah kanto gives me cats, rats, birds, and pink things and thats p much it. not much else to it. 3 different birds tho! naming scheme is really just me trying to be bland but its also kinda cute. safari zone guarantees me chansey, tauros, and kang, which combined with persian and snorlax will aid me in snapping this damn game over my knee

Normal type mono run, huh? Don't think I've ever seen that before. Should be interesting, Normal is one of the most abundant types in the series in general. I'm not too big a fan of gen 1, but the eventual Persian (which I'm assuming Meowth are available here?) should score you some nice crits if I'm understanding crit mechanics from back then correctly.
yeah man imagine if i had started playing on pokemon red version where meowth isnt actually available. honestly just waiting til i can get it its got me stoked already

ight i finished grinding for brock so i beat him and now ill post an update ez

btw i should talk about how im playing this game a lil, settingswise anyway! i think its worth padding an update with this. my settings are animations off for grinding, text speed fast for sanity, set mode for no good reason, and no volume. listening to edm and chill vgm is wayyyy better than listening to gen 1's ost and that's hard facts

also stuff in quotes is directly from my notes unless it isnt

ill link my spotify playlist if desired

viridian forest poisoned me twice and gave me 1 wild encounter on the first go through, what the fuck. legit the only encounter i got walking through the entirety of the forest was a level 4 kakuna at the start what rng seed have i found and can i remove it

i love fat pikachu, i found 2 while grinding and theyre so chubby and good ahaha

"not grinding to 14 for brock, 12 will be fine" was what i put in my notes about the grind. note to my past self, fine is a strong word.

rattata still has the cutest backsprite

ok so past me tried to punk future me by putting "man you ever just realize that." in my notes. well, im writing this mere hours later, so past me can get fucked.

also you cant look at move data in gen 1 what the fuck. how am i supposed to know what the moves DO this is BULLshit

bird levels way faster than the others btw, and it learned quick attack at 12. nice. we're up to 3 moves across the board

"mother FUCKER i havent the money for potions"

went into brocks gym at 12 across the board, because fuck grinding honestly

some bitch told me i was lightyears from facing brock, so i told him hes stupid and lightyears measure time and not distance. then we fought.
i learned that diglett is faster than spearow and that sandshrew is a BITCH its so strong and bulky hhhh

"brock strat: spam sand attack with bird six times, switch to rat, spam tail whip six times, switch to bird again, gust until dead

did it work?

SHIT GEODUDE HAS DEF CURL"
man im an idiot. anyways,
geodude hit through -6 acc 5 times against bird, proceeds to never hit peck, what an ass i hate rocks
geodude only took 7 sand attacks (cuz i dont count), 2 gusts, 1 potion, 12 quick attacks with a few crits, 1 switch to peck, and 10 pecks. fun.
onix really does fuckall after 6 growls 6 sandattacks 6 leers, but it has a lot more hp than i thought and bide chunked rat when i switched in to tank it.
luckily all it takes to beat bide in gen 1 is quick attack and a 3rd grade reading level, and thats how i earned my boulder badge.

isnt there some trophy for beating brock with all normal types, mods pls gib

bird and peck gain levels, hp stats after the battle: bird, lvl13: 12/36
rat, lvl12: 9/31
peck, lvl13: 19/36

these should show how tough it actually was, when my actual descriptions dont.

anyways boulder badge get, useless tm get, update over

Sent from my iPhone at 6:25 PM

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
please post your playlist for this

i think there's a trophy, let me double check in a couple of hours or so

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
There is indeed a trophy for what you just did! Well done. It only gets easier from here on out (aside from the fighting dojo if you wanna do that), so you can actually have fun now.

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
please post your playlist for this

i think there's a trophy, let me double check in a couple of hours or so
ight the playlist will be posted
also idec about the trophy i just wanted to know if there was one

There is indeed a trophy for what you just did! Well done. It only gets easier from here on out (aside from the fighting dojo if you wanna do that), so you can actually have fun now.
im not scared of a dojo for fighting people. also fun is a strong word in kanto

As requested, here's the spotify playlist. chill vibes only

anyways this is a longer update because it will cover everything from after brock to me beating misty.
enjoy :)
or don't, i'm not ur mom
to continue the trend of starting updates with tangentially related thoughts, let's talk about when i play this game. basically, i play it during downtime, like when im not working on stuff or playing monster hunter, or when i'm taking the bus to and from class, or when i'm waiting for class to start, or waiting for the bus stop, etc. neat, huh?

anyways, once again stuff directly from my notes will be in quotes

ok so after beating brock last time i healed up and went out to route 3, aka the dumbass trainer gauntlet. highlights include:
dont have it in my notes but somebody had something pretty high level there, it might have been a spearow or smth? it was like on level with brocks ace. that was fast
i do have in my notes "wrap SUCKS oml", i think that was prompted by some trainer with an ekans and a ratatta. anyways god wrap is the WORST why is it like that.

"RATTATA GETS HYPER FANG AT 14"

ok, now for some bad news and some good news.
the bad news is that i killed my route 3 catch.
the good news is that, since the only valid encounter was the level 5 jigglypuff i ran into, nothing of value was really lost.
you can argue that wigglytuff would have been useful and good, but my next catch uh. sorta makes that point moot at least imo.
dont think i hate jigglypuff tho i just dont like using it in nuzlockes esp when i get to use other, cooler, damage sponges

also sleep is fucking broken some trainer's jiggs used sing and shit that fucking nearly cost me a mon

now im in mt moon.

"rat's confused no more!
sucked health from rat"
-my musings on zubats and the messages of kanto

ok so theres only one pokemon i CAN catch in moon hill zone, and that's clefairy. of course, it wasnt showing up on 1f because thats a 1% encounter and those don't actually exist
but on b2f...
"Fairy the Clefairy caught! level 10.
good special stat! youll be useful
taught it water gun, we can finally hit rocks
clefairy has good sprites"

man if this were gen 6 or 7 i wouldnt be able to use this thing. on that note, i dont think i ever HAVE used a clefable, ever, so this is neat.

clefairy also levels p fast, maybe like comparable to bird? i think the rate of level speed order is like. bird is fastest, then fairy, then rat and peck.

i also definitely fought the magnemite dude and switched from fairy to...rat because i thought magnemite was part steel and thought "pound won't do much to a steel type, lets use hyper fang"
im not smart

also i found tm mega punch and gave it to fairy since it was the only mon i have compatible with big punch but i was mashing and deleted pound instead of growl hhhhhh
not actually that big a deal since mega punch and pound do the same thing, pound is just worse at the job, but.

"rocket grunts having zubat and ekans? the worst omg i hate wrap and supersonic" yeah honestly past me makes valid points, fuck gen 1 and fuck kanto

anyways this is the part in the notes where i find the moonstone. fairy gets that shit frame 1, only move i care about in clefairy's piss poor gen 1 level up learnset is minimize and thats at 24 which is too long a wait. plus clefable was uh. it saved me against a specific mt moon asshole

"level 16 raticate trainer what the fuck"
#fuckkanto
this fight nearly went terribly because i missed 3 sings against a raticate on level with my strongest that also had hyper fang. it still went terribly but at least nobody died. once i put it to sleep i just mega punched it a few times.
clefable carries.

"fairy's theme is officially calling to the night from the metal gear solid series i dont make the rules" that song is also in the playlist, check it out

"praise helix"

and thats all my notes on mt moon. pretty uneventful outside of 2 tms, my new best mon, and a rlly scary trainer hey actually that is pretty eventful isnt it

route 4's catch was mouse the lvl 10 rattata, boxed because im not grinding it up unless rat dies. or i rlly need rat 2 normal type boogaloo

ground to 18 for cerulean rival
bird evolved, pidgeotto has a rlly chubby sprite but holy shit bird pls learn another move ur level 18

"my motivation to keep rat alive is that if it dies i have to train the other, lower leveled rat up to speed"

during the grind i thought of a RLLY good joke for my plan for erika.
im not telling you guys now tho thats spoilers.
im just gonna let you sit in suspense for an ultimately mediocre joke that ill forget to even use

"do i want to evolve rat? it has such a cute backsprite..."
the answer was still yes i want to evolve rat btw im not stupid

"plan for rival: hit him"

my rival's name is lamer, and that automatically makes him a lamer. there are two kinds of people in this world: gamers, and lamers. he is a lamer.
he also led pidgeotto which is his highest level and that caught me off guard since i led rat
but tail whip into crit hyper fang into quick attack secured the kill. it might have been faster without the crit thanks to gen 1 crit mechanics but whatever.
abra was a joke.
enemy rat landed crit tackle on my vastly superior rat so i switched to peck, 1shot the opposing rat with 4 hit fury attack. ez
charmander's growl didnt save it from fury attack either.
"ez pz"

"no don't smell me later, don't smell me at all that's so weird wtf

OH HE SAYS THAT BECAUSE HE THINKS I STINK AND THATS LIKE AN INSULT HAHA I GET IT NOW"

aren't you all glad you get to see the deep, insightful commentary from my notes in its unfiltered, unedited glory? i am

"hyper fang can flinch?"

ok more bad news and good news yall:
bad news:

rat evolved, rip rat's backsprite level 2-20 ill miss the cutest backsprite in the game
good news: rat evolved and now isn't just a statistically inferior peck with a stronger move

speaking of peck, the nugget bridge trainer with a level 18 mankey would have been scary without peck. bird doesnt have flying stab so its not actually a bird.

"if i join team rocket i have to use zubat and ekans and those mons are against the rules. well i guess i could just use 5 raticate and oh i dont even get the option to say yes"
kanto is cucks
sorry to keep directly quoting the notes but theyre so relatable. take this gem:
"oh boy ekans yes i love things with wrap AND poison"
god that rocket was annoying. but bitches aint shit and i won
"i wrote a lot about this because this is a PIVOTAL STORY MOMENT for kanto"

also some trainer saw me when looking the other way or something it was wack.

route 24's catch is pidge, a pidgey level 12. not named after the voltron char btw i just dont like how cumbersome "pidgeon" is, it feels like an oblong word. so i shortened it. pidges might be birds too but im not looking that up to see if im right im just going loose cannon on this assumption.
not grinding this asshole up unless bird dies and i need it, "ive already spent like 5 hours of playtime grinding im not spending more on another pidgey yet"

rat's new backsprite, btw? as a raticate? it's so ugly yall im so sad #bringbackrat'sbacksprite2019

also of note, as i was taking notes and playing this, i was waiting at the bus stop and it was REALLY cold. like i was shivering. it's still pretty cold in my home, where i am typing this update from. my hands are cold. this is how life is in upstate new york.
idc if yall know i live in upstate what r u gonna do, come fight me? bring it on i have a bunch of forging steel and a mailing tube to defend myself with

there was one trainer with a level 17 slowpoke on route 25, that fucker was STRONG. and bulky. i had to use fairy to beat it.

also peck evolved, now has a big dick front sprite and a big dick statline, truly the elemental hero avian i needed.

also bird hit level 20 without learning a 4th move, what the fuck
"bird when is your 4th move
why is gust normal
why can quick attack miss"
these are the Gen 1 Hardships:tm:

oddish look so happy im happy for them

also went into the cerulean gym at 20 all, gym trainers werent shit either so really its just misty
"plan for misty: idk hit her?"

some mood music, and by that i mean the song i listened to during the fight: Nighttime Maneuvers, by Garoad. From the VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartending Action OST

ok so i led bird here, and 3 quick attacks was enough to take out misty's staryu, took 2 attacks in the meantime. at least one was a water gun.
but, once again, i have bad news and good news
the bad news:

bird died to a crit bubblebeam from starmie, though whether the crit mattered or not is questionable but that still means i can feel justifiable anger at the rng.
there's not actually any good news i lied to you all, i'm sorry for taking my grief out on you all like this.
anyways, rip bird, lvl 3-20. we'll never get to know when ur fourth move is.
if anyone tells me when pidgeotto learns its 4th move in gen 1 theyre banned from the thread

anyways after the tragic loss of my bird, i send in my other bird peck.
but this is where i realize starmie hits like a truck with bubblebeam, and so switch to fairy after a leer. also bird had gotten off a single sand attack since misty used an x defend, so bird's death was not meaningless. so then i take a few bubblebeams, miss a few mega punches, but this is where i remember
"I HAVE SING, STARMIE HAS DIED"
so yeah im dumb needless death was, indeed, needless
i trade in the lifeless husk of my fallen companion for a shitty tin badge shaped like a water droplet. the cheap paint is flaking off. possibly because of the tears i am shedding.
anyways yeah that's the fight.

""TM11 is BUBBLEBEAM! Use it on an aquatic Pokemon!"
does clefable count?"

and that's update end, rip bird lvl 3-20, we hardly knew ye but we knew yer 3 moves well. probably gonna have to train another fuckin pidgey now god damn. rest well sweet warrior.

Peck (Fearow) Level 20
HP 61 ATTACK 48 DEFENSE 39 SPEED 52 SPECIAL 36
Peck/Growl/Leer/Fury Attack

Rat (Raticate) Level 20
HP 57 ATTACK 41 DEFENSE 32 SPEED 47 SPECIAL 32
Tackle/Tail Whip/Quick Attack/Hyper Fang

Fairy (Clefable) Level 20
HP 74 ATTACK 35 DEFENSE 41 SPEED 31 SPECIAL 41
Mega Punch/Growl/Bubblebeam/Sing

damn i really have a playtime of 9:15 huh. fuckin wild. next time surge, rock tunnel, i probably catch a meowth or smth

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
no replies this time

only surge

so where i left off was uh
oh yeah bird died
welp

you think i'd use pidge, right? nah.
route 25 has guaranteed level 13 pidgeys, and pidge is level 12. and im lazy. so Squawk the pidgey is my route 25 catch. nice.

i also went to route 5 after beating the dig rocket and got a meowth, named Cat. level 12.
also ""im an innocent bystander don't you believe me" yeah i do but i'm a trainer and you're a trainer and we made eye contact so we're bound by honor, duty, and law to fight each other using our pokemon in a friendly competition, so have at thee good sir"
also that grunt wasnt shit
also also rat got dig
and i hate cerulean city's layout so much

but more importantly. cat has a cute backsprite world is redeemed.

i then level ground both newcomers to 18. cat learned pay day at 17 and squawk evolved into pidgeotto. thanks to pay day i made some money too.

onto whatever route is north of vermillion i think its 6
where i fought a very rude butterfree that paralyzed two of my pokemon and poisoned 1. fuck powders.
also cat crits a lot :3c

i then entered vermillion, acquired a voucher for a vehickle, and embarked on the steam ship annabelle.

there was an old man whose growlithe kept roaring at me but neither one hit a roar so who cares
also rat digs good (this is a surprise tool that will help us later)

found a great ball in the trash, who throws that shit away? fuckin dumbass

also, momentously, squawk learned a 4th move!! pidgeotto...with 4 moves!!! it only took 21 levels. but. it's fucking whirlwind end my life

ok so ss anne had some really important tms: rest and body slam. but i am not using them yet. because if i get certain catches, they will be useful.

"wrap is still dumb"

"never seen roar work in this game"

"rival ss anne plan: cat"

cat beat both lamer's pidgeotto and raticate with two bites and a crit payday each
but after that kadabra came in and im not stupid enough to leave a meowth at half health in on a kadabra
so fairy came in and punched the kadabra and blew bubbles at the charmeleon
ezpz

nothing i had could learn cut. nothing could legally catch could learn cut.
frog the bulbasaur, your life purpose has arrived

after frog cut down a small tree and i did some light grinding to 23 across the board, the gym happened

puzzle was easy

gym trainers were also ez but annoying because of all the gods damned sonic boom voltorb. all 2.

btw there was a elec type trainer on the route east of vermillion who was been a tougher opponent than these gym trainers, if only for an illegal magneton

i also found a spearow on that route but critkilled it by accident >.<

anyways cat learned screech in the gym, bitchin

"plan for surge: rat has dig"
the fight was too short for mood music but still have this, it's a Song of Storms hip hop remix by Mykel and GameChops. it samples the botw cooking sfx
ok the only notable thing from the fight was that raichu is fat and adorable.
no seriously the only thing rat didn't oneshot was the raichu, which got 1 tshock and 1 growl in before getting twoshot.
nice breather

""TM24 contains THUNDERBOLT! Use it on an electric pokemon!" does clefable count?"

Rat (Raticate) lvl 24
HP 66 ATK 49 DEF 38 SPEED 56 SPECIAL 38
Dig/Tail Whip/Quick Attack/Hyper Fang

Fairy (Clefable) lvl 23
HP 84 ATK 40 DEF 46 SPEED 35 SPECIAL 47
Mega Punch/Thunderbolt/Bubblebeam/Sing

Cat (Meowth) lvl 24
HP 61 ATK 33 DEF 25 SPEED 56 SPECIAL 27
Scratch/Screech/Bite/Pay Day

Squawk (Pidgeotto) lvl 23
HP 67 ATK 40 DEF 39 SPEED 46 SPECIAL 31
Gust/Sand-Attack/Quick Attack/Whirlwind

Peck (Fearow) lvl 23
HP 69 ATK 54 DEF 44 SPEED 60 SPECIAL 41
Peck/Growl/Leer/Fury Attack

Badges: 3
Deaths: 1
HM slaves: 1

next time will probably be up to erika. and ill cry because the level cap says no snorlax until after erika

mint0h

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Farfetch’d can learn Cut I’m pretty sure, though it requires a trade for a Spearow, which, you killed.
The Pidgey line’s movepool is notoriously awful in the first three Gens, at least Doduo is right by when you’ll need it the most.

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Farfetch’d can learn Cut I’m pretty sure, though it requires a trade for a Spearow, which, you killed.
The Pidgey line’s movepool is notoriously awful in the first three Gens, at least Doduo is right by when you’ll need it the most.
yeah honestly pidgey's movepool is also pretty bad in 4-7 when you compare it to the general movepool variety in those gens, too. it's just actually functional for once.
also yeah farfetch'd could learn cut! i forgot it existed until like. rock tunnel. and didnt feel like going back for it. so there's that

typin out this update for you early in the morning, idk how long its gonna be but its gonna go a bit past erika because that was too short

so to start off the update id like to issue an apology
not to kanto, i still think kanto as a region is boring and has only been implemented in ways that feel like imo theyre removing possibilities that could be cool, like the ability to really go hog wild with gym order for all the gyms in cities adjacent to saffron+saffron itself
but id like to apologize to red and blue versions specifically. yeah, playing them is kinda slow, especially on virtual console, and yeah they are the embodiment of spaghetti code and strange decisions, neither of which aged well, but honestly im enjoying them a lot.
maybe because of how goofy and strange they are and how they had all these weird versions of the mechanics we know and love in the series, maybe because of the strange sprites, but the games themselves feel so weird that im really enjoying laughing at all the strange bullshit the game has pulled on me.
so maybe theyre not like. well designed, but theyre still fun. which really is a testament to the power of pokemon

wow that was sappy. uh. fuck kanto.

anyways i finally decided to start listening to the soundtrack of this game, in brief doses because i still like very few of the tracks, but thats how it be.

so what happened last time? oh yeah surge got stomped. let's continue. stuff ripped directly from my in play notes will be in quote marks

and also full disclaimer you're not seeing farfetch'd or flash for probably the entire run because i either forgot they existed or couldnt be bothered to go back and get them. any time i need cut assume it's the friendly bulbasaur oak gave me that i refuse to let fight because it's too cute.

anyways, thankfully i did NOT forget to grab the bike like i do about 50% of the time in kanto games, thats the first thing i did after surge.
also it occurs to me that you never have a bike helmet when riding a bike in like any game (i think one game did have it but idr which one). anyways that's irresponsible, gamefreak is setting a bad example with its role models. im shook.

maybe thats why i often forget to wear a helmet when biking short distances.

also there was a weird fight where i was using squawk and fighting a machop on route...9, that's the one, and the machop used low kick.
it wasn't very effective.
"x files theme plays"
no seriously someone explain why the fuck

also i ran into some trainer with 2 beedrill, i think on the same comment, while hanging out with the roommates in the apartment's common room.
me: "why do they have two beedrill, fuck off"
roommate #1: "are they...bugging you"
me: "...yeah."

that was a lot funnier when it happened but if i share it now knowing that it becomes ironically funny
wait no it doesnt its just flat either way

ok so when i got to rock tunnel, first thing i did was pull up a map because im a dumb bitch and keep forgetting how to navigate rock tunnel flashless.
thankfully its a lot easier in this game

"god slowpokes SUCK to fight"
-me, unaware that there are like 3 more trainers with slowpokes in rock tunnel alone

also i let peck (thats my fearow if u forgot) learn mirror move over growl because i thought it'd be funny and useful. (spoilers: it was)

so now, i have some bad news, and some questionably good news as long as you enjoy schadenfreude

i was being a MAJOR dumbass and got really scared of some trainer's level...25 i think? geodude because "oh what if it has self-destruct!"
note: i forgot fairy had bubblebeam. or at least had some reason to keep it out of the fight, i think because i wanted to make sure xp was distributed evenly
"oh i know i'll use squawk to sand attack it so it misses self-destruct, and if i get hit by a rock move i'll just switch"
this is the part where squawk dies to crit rock throw, right?
wrong squawk died to a self destruct because in my infinite wisdom it never occurred to me that my hackneyed luck-based plan could fail

anyways thats the bad news, squawk is dead. RIP squawk the pidgeotto lvl 13-25.
you may have gotten your fourth move, but it still sucked.

the good news is that because of my stupidity you now have someone dumb you can laugh at if you want
but i'd rather you didnt

anyways at this point i learned two lessons, one that makes sense and one that sorta? not really makes sense
lesson 1 use my fucking clefable
lesson 2 no more pidgeottos

anyways enough about birds dying, let's see what the notes had to say

"gen 1 machop be like :3"

"selfdestruct is so scary,,,"

"rock tunnel took ages"

thank you jill, VERY cool.

anyways this is where i was like "ok i should probably consider my level for erika, whats the ucl level cap
>29
that's...reasonable but wow ok i thought erika had higher levels
so i ground to 28 for erika, using the trainers on route 8 and in erika's gym.

also if you're wondering about catches, i skipped route 9, 10, 8, and 7's catches. ill go back for them if i need them, but its more dupes.

"level 22 muk isn't legal fuck u nerd"

also cat evolved, finally! into persian. persian's sprite in blue looks so...fitting, for a cat. it's a fucking smug gremlin pose.
also cat is incredibly fast now whoa

rat also learned focus energy at...some point. dropped tail whip.

so this is about the part where we reach celadon, so it's PORYGON time!
except not really, since i am playing on a legitimate copy of the game and don't have any form of turbo mode, and grinding coins takes fucking YEARS.
so porygon will be an option later if i need it.
also because of my rules, i can't get clefairy since i do have 2 non-dupe options
also the other non-dupe option is eevee and lol using eevee without evolving it

i got some REALLY nice tms tho, fairy learned tri attack and ice beam and the others went into storage.
also this is where i mention that ur inventory is TINY and thats rude

so yeah now it's erika time the gym trainers were grinding fodder

plan for erika (ive been waiting for this for two updates at least now)
"i have a bird, you have a face, i apply bird to your face"
right, anyways
there's actually not much to this fight i did exactly what i set out to do, i sent out peck and applied bird to erika's face. would've liked a better flying move tho.
i actually dont have much more detail for yall than that i was rlly distracted during this fight because i was watching jojo's part 5 with my roommate.
god i love giorno hes so cool
ok so that's over, we gain mega drain which will never be of use to us so i sold it to buy more gambling tender
we also have a rainbow badge, neat

now i said this update was gonna go past erika, and it will.
rocket time.
wait, first: wisdom from the notes

"cat still has a cute backsprite"

incredible.
rocket hideout, on the other hand, was boring
i got double edge! which is cool
i used mirror move to steal slash from some enemy sandshrews and sandslashes which was cool
i realized that the lift key guy doesnt drop it until i talk to him again after the fight
and i fought giovanni.
"oh i need a plan uhhhh ice beam"
i oneshot everything that wasnt kang with ice beam and then i used 1 sing, 2 tri attacks and a tbolt to take out kang

nice

also i wish more people talked about giovanni from pokespe/pokemon adventures, he's basically exactly the semi-sympathetic giovanni i crave content of.
he's got moments where he is actually a pretty cool person, his motivations arent always evil, and i love him

anyways uhhh i bought some water from the vending machines on top of the department store, and gave it to the guard between celadon and saffron
i only assume he will share it to the others like a bird feeds its children

got psychic in saffron and then left to go do other things

namely lavender town things
imma be real: lavender town in gen 1 is one of the 3 or 4 tracks in gen 1 i LIKE.
it's not actually that creepy, and it has a very somber feel with a depth that surpasses the limited tones of the 8-bit machine it was made for.

also we fought our rival in pokemon tower.
no plan since i was overleveled for this specific fight
actually there was a plan, apparently
"plan: cat"

nice
also cat did nearly die because of dragon rage gyara but we lived so its fine. i spammed pay day a lot

this is where i realize that cat cannot be used on anyone in the tower except for mama wak and the rockets. only normal moves.

"some channeler just said "be cursed with me" just like yall when u send me some absolutely cursed memes"

also elixirs are spelled elixer and boy do i dislike that for no reason

mama wak got destroyed, idr by who because i didnt write it down

when i went to fight rocket grunts i noticed that when trainers spawn offscreen they always face towards the bottom of the map and then turn to face the way theyre supposed to when they load on screen but you can see them facing down for like a frame.

that's really funny to me, probably because i do game dev myself

"YESS THE GOLBAT SPRITE"

cat cleaned up the tower grunts because i wanted money

"mr fuji: (.-.)" --me, remarking on how a character said my in game name

also we got the poke flute yay
"end update"

Peck (Fearow) lvl 31
HP 93 ATK 73 DEF 59 SPD 80 SPEC 55
Peck/Mirror Move/Leer/Fury Attack
this is actually my strongest mon currently, and will only get stronger next update

Rat (Raticate) lvl 31
HP 84 ATK 63 DEF 49 SPD 72 SPEC 49
Dig/Focus Energy/Quick Attack/Hyper Fang
despite statwise being just worse than peck, still rlly useful because of dig and the power of hyper fang. honestly better than youd expect.

Cat (Persian) lvl 32
HP 97 ATK 60 DEF 50 SPD 90 SPEC 52
Scratch/Screech/Bite/Pay Day
god i wish i'd been patient and given you bubblebeam. still good tho

Fairy (Clefable) lvl 31
HP 113 ATK 53 DEF 62 SPD 46 SPEC 63
Tri-Attack/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Sing
because of the coverage, its more mediocre non-hp stats aren't catching up to it. nice

BADGES: 4
DEATHS: 2
BIKES: 1
TM HYPER BEAMS: 0
CASINO CURRENCY: 2500 OR 2750 OR SMTH IDR

next time: i catch a new normal type that isn't a pidgey, rattata, or spearow

mint0h

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
I think because of faulty Gen I coding, the effectiveness message only pops up by reading the second typing of a dual-typed Pokemon. Because Squawk is Normal/Flying, Low Kick (Fighting) reads only the Flying-type part and interprets that as not very effective, while still doing the same neutral damage in spite of the message.
Also due to glitches, Focus Energy is actually a net negative to have, because instead of raising the critical chance like it's supposed to, in Gen I, it actually decreases that chance for some reason. Almost any other move would be more useful to have.
With Pay Day on Cat, you can (slowly) earn enough cash money to buy Porygon. It'll take a while though.

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
also peck evolved, now has a big dick front sprite and a big dick statline, truly the elemental hero avian i needed.
This sentence explains everything I love about this run better than whatever nice words of encouragement I could give you!

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I think because of faulty Gen I coding, the effectiveness message only pops up by reading the second typing of a dual-typed Pokemon. Because Squawk is Normal/Flying, Low Kick (Fighting) reads only the Flying-type part and interprets that as not very effective, while still doing the same neutral damage in spite of the message.
Also due to glitches, Focus Energy is actually a net negative to have, because instead of raising the critical chance like it's supposed to, in Gen I, it actually decreases that chance for some reason. Almost any other move would be more useful to have.
With Pay Day on Cat, you can (slowly) earn enough cash money to buy Porygon. It'll take a while though.
hyper beam tms matter more than porygon
also it's super useful to hear how the message stuff works, and same with focus energy! we got rid of that one this update

This sentence explains everything I love about this run better than whatever nice words of encouragement I could give you!
thanks i'll try to keep it up

7 routes 4 catches 4 bosses 2 hms 8 levels too many tms 1 update

we got a lot of ground to cover, folx

ok bitches we're starting off strong.

meet Bear. it's a snorlax. it's my snorlax, caught on that one route before cycling road. we all saw this coming, even tho i nearly critkilled it. what a god.
bear is the tankiest motherfucker alive besides chansey. naturally instateamed.

also, we got fly for peck to have a better flying type move than just...well, peck. this isn't super important for peck tho, as we'll soon see.

in fact, we'll see this on cycling road! which is filled with trainers who have machop, machoke, mankey , primeape, muk, koffing, weezing, and grimer

only the machoke and machop are scary, they have low kick

cycling road ALSO has something important tho:

meet Two. level 24 doduo. bird and squawk were ok. peck was great. two is pretty meh rn, but when they evolve?

oh, get ready

also bear had 1 fucking damaging move until i made the fucking genius play that i did later. that move had 15 pp. first time ive ever used an ether mid battle.

ALSO I FUCKING. WENT BACK TO GO CATCH THE SECOND SNORLAX AT THIS POINT! AND I ACTUALLY DID CRITKILL THIS ONE INSTEAD OF LEAVING IT ON 4 HP FAIRY WHYYYYYYYYY

speaking of snorlax tho...i decided that i wanted to have fun with this run.
bear is a mixed sweeper with amnesia/normal stab/surf/psychic.
because i can and furthermore because you can't stop me.

blame toyo

anyways, it's safari zone time,so let's talk about some RULES.

by stormer's lovely ucl2 rules for rby safari zone, i may only leave the safari zone with one catch. it may be chosen between whatever my first encounters are from all 4 areas, or...
it may be my first successful catch.

stormer, you've given me too much power.

this power took about an hour to catch.

this power is
bull, the level 26 tauros.

STRONG LIKE BULL, SMART LIKE DUMP TRUCK

this boy has fucking huge stats incredibly terrify

anyways, now that we've got the meme stuff out of the way, let's talk this update's general structure

first, i grind to 36 before silph, to maintain my sanity and make sure we're not getting CLOSE to our level cap of 41.
then, in silph, everyone gains two levels. that puts us at lvl 38.
then, we run through koga, silph lamer (our lame rival), giovanni 2, and sabrina in that order.

yeah, it's a lot to do
and most of the grinding is uneventful
so here are the highlights
i try to grind on route uhhh 15 when i run into this
bastard
this is Copy, and it transformed into my doduo with fly.
fuck you copy you were a pain to catch and since you dont even copy stats ur just useless
into the box

also on route 16 i started level grinding before i realized "wait shit im supposed to get a catch here"
no route 16 catch

"two learned drill peck! nice!
two evolved! NICE!
two has now been renamed to three"

please appreciate
three, my dodrio. their pronouns are they/them. both plural and singular, actually. all three heads are some form of non-binary, although they're still settling on the details. they're very supportive of each other, and the rest of the team is very supportive of them! i am too. i love them.

also, sadly, three being a dodrio literally directly outclasses peck in every concievable way even harder than everyone else outclasses rat. so peck is boxed as backup for now.

peck i still love you

on the subject of bull, it came with 2 moves so i taught it strength. it also learned tail whip! incredible, astounding, amazing, im still only ever clicking stomp.

as part of grinding, i decided to throw three at the entire fighting dojo!
they won. easily. i'd say handily but they don't have hands so i'll just say it was a clean victory.

now to refer to the notes and their infinite wisdom

"electrode self destructs do less damage than gravelers" thank you for this astute observation

"cat's damage output is a little low..."

"bear got body slam time to break the game"

"i love how if i'm poisoned i don't take damage when i ko an enemy"

"bull just tried to learn leer"

don't you all feel so much smarter? i do. thanks me

you're welcome, me

here's where i comment on why this is one of my least favorite yet still favorite parts of kanto:
the grind
yes, after getting the pokeflute, the game opens up. it's still fairly linear, but after pokemon tower there's SO much you can do, so many new routes (7!) each with new trainers and catches
yes, there's a lot of content and places to explore
but the level jump from erika to koga and sabrina is 14 LEVELS. FOUR FUCKING TEEN. the silph rival fight is an 11 level jump, and giovanni 2 is twelve. like what the fuck
and there's also not enough xp to actually like. match level with these trainers. hell, i fought every trainer except for the two or three that i needed cut to reach, and i only barely got to 39 across the board from 31 across the board. and that included wild grinding for the new members to play catch up, and some rare candies, and some light wild grinding before koga, and all of sabrina's gym trainers. like actually what the fuck, that's not fun.

tl;dr content good, not enough xp bad

and the e4 grind is so much worse, too ugh ugh ugh

anyways before koga lets talk about silph stuff
milking rockets for their xp takes time, but i did get the card key
and i taught bull take down and cat skull bash

buuuuuuuuuuuut then i found earthquake. and take down is just worse strength, so...
"Bull learned Earthquake"

i can hear literally everyone quaking in their boots.

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR THE REAL GAUNTLET, STARTING WITH KOGA

"plan for koga: bear sets up amnesia 3 times and uses psychic"

we had a strong start too, bear set up the three amnesias and started using psychic
but koga's first koffing poisoned bear and used smokescreen once, and that made this fight ROUGH.
muk disabled psychic, which wore me down as i missed body slams and needed to heal, but i eventually killed it.
the second koffing died in one psychic
and then

"weezing is level 43???????? fuck"

i decided after two sludges that i'd really had enough, so i did the only sensible choice:

switch to earthquake and spam bull because its gen 1
wait.
nah its fine
STRONG LIKE BULL SMART LIKE DUMP TRUCK
and thus we won with no casualties.

we got tm toxic too, this is a surprise tool that will help us later

"rival plan: cat? maybe?"

i led cat, beat the pidgeot with a few screech skullbashes, but exeggcute poisoned me and set up reflect so i switched to fairy.
cue fairy sweep.
no actually ice beam mauled the egg, tbolt 2hkoed gyara, alakazam spammed recover (????) and let me 2hko with tri attack, and charizard.
charizard's crit slashes NEARLY killed fairy, but fairy is way too cool to die. so it didnt and it beat zard and we won :)

ezpz

after one last grunt, it's giovanni time
"plan for giovanni: bull"
yeah uh we have eq and stomp the only thing that got a hit in was rhydon since it lived an eq
kang lived one stomp but got flinched lol
nidoqueen got crit by eq lolol

"strong like bull, baby"

""because i am rich, i can give you anything" ok give me all your money and your head on a platter fucking 1% boomer"

"oh ok i got a dumb purple ball i dont need this"

and then i tossed it

then i went and got lost in sabrina's dollhouse to gain another level across the board. it worked, but the special attacks from the psychics were MAD scary.

mood music time: i've been p melancholy lately, but also Sad Machine by Porter Robinson slaps. The whole Worlds album slaps, actually. anyways here's sad machine

"plan for sabrina: bear has amnesia"
that plan nearly failed frame 1 her kadabra crit psychic on me immediately
you know what that means
thats right
strong like bull baby
bull killed kadabra, so i switched to fairy for mr mime. fairy promptly sat there as i healed bear, then switched in to bear and set up amnesia 3 times and beat mr mime with body slam.
venomoth poisoned me because of fucking course it did, but i killed it.
and then alakazam time. it could have crit killed me, probably would have been a oneshot too
but we'll never actually know because it failed to crit and died like any reasonable person would if a snorlax fucking body slammed them.

"sabrina's cute but man is her team a bitch. eat shit i won"

well spoke.
tm psywave is useless garbage, but i still gave someone a tm after the gym

"rat forgot focus energy! and... rat learned toxic!"

Bear (Snorlax) lvl 39
HP 187 ATK 106 DEF 64 SPD 36 SPEC 74
Body Slam/Amnesia/Psychic/Surf
SPECIAL SNORLAX
SPECIAL SNORLAX

Rat (Raticate) lvl 39
HP 104 ATK 79 DEF 62 SPD 91 SPEC 61
Dig/Toxic/Quick Attack/Hyper Fang
idc if ur outclassed by everyone
still fucking useful, god bless utilityrat

Cat (Persian) lvl 39
HP 116 ATK 73 DEF 61 SPD 110 SPEC 63
Skull Bash/Screech/Bite/Pay Day
god i can't fucking wait for slash
skull bash helps tho

Fairy (Clefable) lvl 39
HP 142 ATK 68 DEF 78 SPD 59 SPEC 79
Tri Attack/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Sing
god's gift to me specifically
basically a gen 2 porygon with sing

Bull (Tauros) lvl 39
HP 119 ATK 100 DEF 93 SPD 108 SPEC 71
Earthquake/Stomp/Strength/Tail Whip
STRONG LIKE BULL
SMART LIKE DUMP TRUCK

Three (Dodrio) lvl 39
HP 105 ATK 102 DEF 68 SPD 96 SPEC 65
Drill Peck/Growl/Fury Attack/Fly
three pecks are better than one
btw im sorry peck you're backup now

Last edited:

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh btw i accidentally fucked up and posted update 6 early but its done, pls check it out

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
i spent so long grinding all the replies got bored and left

honestly i almost went with em

anyways this update is about 2 hours' worth of content and 24 hours' worth of grinding lets get it

last time we went through the seven route megagauntlet, retook silph to overthrow the rockets and capitalism, fought 2 gym leaders, got a bunch of catches...

yeah well we have 1 more catch ill tell u that much

only gym leaders grinding rival fights and e4 from here on out

anyways we pick up where i left off by going south of fuschia and beating up every swimmer. note: i am at level 39 all at this point. keep that in mind.

"imagine if my catch was a level 5 tentacool. that'd suck"--me, immediately after running into a lvl 5 tentacool

""I love swimming! What about you?" I love my rat..."

anyways its at this point where i remark in the notes that i wanted to get 8 levels before blaine and then do blaine->giovanni->fight against lamer on route 22 again...
except then i learned that lamer's ace is 53 and giovanni has fissure rhydon
so i in fact decided to grind to 47 for blaine (8 levels across the board), then get to 50 for giovanni and the rival (another 3 levels), for a grand total of 11 levels for each of my six pokemon.
in kanto's xp starved level curve.
yeah i wasnt having a good time.

anyways, the ocean wilds nor the ocean trainers were giving me that xp with trainers having 27 max and wilds uh. not hitting close to that, no sir.

also i decided to not do seafoam from fuschia side, but instead fly to pallet, do all the trainers on the cinnabar side of the sea, still not navigate seafoam since it's ass and a half, and then go to cinnabar.

and south of pallet i got the last catch!
Caw the pidgey, level not high enough to ever be ground for the team. pidgeot isnt worth it in gen 1 either

here we also have some move updates!
bear tried to learn harden at level 41. no.
rat learned super fang at level 41, dropping quick attack. we only have 2 actual attacks now, "yay." lots of utility tho
i also taught bull HYPER BEAM, probably the only hyper beam we'll have. fuck yeah hyper beam tauros.

anyways now its time to hit cinnabar, reassert my desire to say fuck seafoam, and go through the mansion and blaine's trainers.

the wild muk in the mansion in blue are packets of xp, being at levels ranging from 37 to 40 depending on the floor and giving out up to 897 xp, the third highest in the mansion.
they also have sludge poison gas minimize disable and are absolute cancer

"i have blizzard now"

then i went through the gym, decided to save my own time by not bothering with the quiz and just eating the trainers for xp directly, and was bothered by the rapidash sprite.
what are you

anyways, back to the grind notes:

"bull tried to learn rage but i said no"
"three learned tri attack!"

i spent a day grinding and thats the only notes i took from it, and honestly that's more than i remember happening

anyways, at level 47 all, i fought blaine
"plan for blaine: bull"

now, to steal toyo's joke:

"Hah! You better have EARTHQUAKE Heal!"

...actually, though. bull oneshot everything except arcanine with eq. and arcanine used its one alive turn to fail a roar.

credits to toyo for the joke btw

anyways i got fire blast and the volcano badge, cared about neither, and headed back into the mansion for giovanni grind.

actually first i beat all the trainers in giovanni's gym, THEN i ground.

ok so here's something funny and sad from the notes:
"man i know exactly how much xp each mon gives in the basement of blue version mansion
lvl 35 vulpix give 315 xp
lvl 31 grimer give 398
lvl 33 grimer give 424
lvl 35 koffing give 570
lvl 32 ponyta give 694
lvl 34 ponyta give 738
lvl 40 muk give 897
lvl 38 magmar give 906
lvl 42 weezing give 1038"

yeah.
i memorized it.

also the first time roar ever worked on me was in pokemon mansion. wild.
also also, at 45 hours of playtime, i finished the giovanni grind.

"plan for giovanni: set up 1 amnesia and sweep with bear"
aaaaand i did exactly that. set up once on rhyhorn, surf ohkoed LITERALLY everything.
rhydon got outsped, too. ouch.

also anticlimactic. although giovanni was gracious in defeat

the lamer fight, however...
"plan for lamer: use fairy"
and that worked! for a while. pidgeot gets 2hkoed by fairy's tbolt, rhyhorn eats an ice beam and dies, exeggcute eats a crit icebeam and dies, gyarados lands a hydro pump but its not enough to avoid me ohkoing with tbolt. fairy also leveled up from this

BUT THEN ZAM HAPPENED
basically, fairy was on 50%, so i switch into bear after zam reflects and i tri attack
zam heals on switch, then crits me with psychic in exchange for a body slam. the crit also lowered my special.
yikes.
so i switch to cat because i wanna outspeed, almost die to psychic, and then switch to bull.
thankfully zam recovered, and i used hyper beam for the kill
then i used hyper beam on zard cuz im greedy, and nearly lost bull for it (two crit flamethrowers nearly killed bull)
buuut i outsped and used strength to get the kill.

that was too close for comfort.
ezpz tho

thats the update

Fairy (Clefable) level 51
HP 186 ATK 92 DEF 102 SPD 79 SPEC 106

Cat (Persian) level 50
HP 151 ATK 98 DEF 81 SPD 145 SPEC 84
Skull Bash/Screech/Bite/Pay Day

Rat (Raticate) level 50
HP 136 ATK 105 DEF 82 SPD 119 SPEC 82
Dig/Toxic/Super Fang/Hyper Fang

Bear (Snorlax) level 50
HP 243 ATK 143 DEF 88 SPD 52 SPEC 100
Body Slam/Amnesia/Surf/Psychic

Three (Dodrio) level 50
HP 137 ATK 136 DEF 91 SPD 126 SPEC 88
Drill Peck/Growl/Tri Attack/Fly

Bull (Tauros) level 50
HP 156 ATK 132 DEF 123 SPD 141 SPEC 95
Earthquake/Stomp/Strength/Hyper Beam

BADGES: 8
DEATHS: 2
HYPER BEAMS TAUGHT: 1
LEGENDARY BIRDS KILLED: 0
HOURS SPENT GRINDING: YES
FUCK: KANTO

next time i will finish kanto
i promise this

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
there are no replies this time but if there were they'd all be "fuck kanto"

by the way, fuck kanto

thank god we're done with it

ok so

i have a bunch of notes about the stuff that happened before i started grinding
here we go

"rat learns body slam over hyper fang"
"cat gets double edge over skull bash"
"cat go slash"

"why do i have set mode on nowhere in my rules do i have to have it. im goin to switch because im a bitch"

"three got frozen...ACTO THREE FUREEEEEEEEEZE"

"🦀MOLTRES IS GONE🦀"

"cleaning out power plant"

"beat zapdos"

and that's all the stuff for uhhhhhhh the pre grind

for the grind i started in victory road, ground both the mons with the slow xp curve in there, and then realized that pokemon mansion was just better for grinding in. i cry

anyways

i did that

three learned agility over uhhhhhhhhh growl

i used a carbos on bull, an hp up on fairy, and 3 rare candies on bear

right, that's all the boring stuff out of the way. now before i get to the elite four + champion fights...

team summary time

Rat the Raticate, level 60
Stats:
164 HP
129 Attack
101 Defense
145 Speed
101 Special
Dig/Toxic/Super Fang/Body Slam
Caught on Route 2
the oldest living member of my team, i never thought id enjoy using a raticate. AND YET, HERE WE ARE. hasn't been super useful since...well, surge, really, but who cares. I love my rat. it'll see use in the e4, too!

Fairy the Clefable, level 60
Stats:
222 HP
113 Attack
125 Defense
96 Speed
128 Special
Caught in Mt. Moon
the pre-pokeflute carry, fairy was the first to evolve and really kicked ass honestly even before that. as its coverage grew so did the body count. truly incredible. leveled faster than everyone else, too!

Cat the Persian, level 60
Stats:
183 HP
122 Attack
99 Defense
177 Speed
104 Special
Double-Edge/Screech/Slash/Pay Day
Caught on Route 5
cat was honestly the hardest team member to use in big fights, mostly because the all stabs moveset combined with the lowest attacking stats in the party meant someone else was usually better for the job...if only slash wasnt at level 51. Cat will see use in the e4 tho!

Bear the Snorlax, level 63
Stats:
303 HP
183 Attack
118 Defense
69 Speed (nice)
128 Special
Body Slam/Amnesia/Surf/Psychic
Caught on Route 16
the two most broken things in gen 1 not counting hyper beam, psychic types, mewtwo and mew, blizzard, and trapping moves are snorlax and amnesia, and i combined both into an unstoppable bastard of a pokemon. the extra levels are for soloing the champ

Three the Dodrio, level 60
Stats:
167 HP
167 Attack
112 Defense
155 Speed
109 Special
Drill Peck/Agility/Tri Attack/Fly
Caught on Route 17
my obligatory flying type. i replaced peck with three because three was slated to outclass peck in every conceivable way and boy, did it. my best answer to fighting types, saved my ass a few times. good bird.

Bull the Tauros, level 60
Stats:
189 HP
162 Attack
154 Defense
174 Speed
118 Special
Earthquake/Stomp/Strength/Hyper Beam
Caught in the Safari Zone
what a fucking beast, what an absolute monster. if i didnt have a direct answer to something, step 2 was to switch bull in and beat it to death. because holy shit the highest defense, solid if not great special, second highest speed, and monstrous attack combined to form a fucking freight train of a monster, and the best hyper beam user i had.

ok nice team summary is done. lets e4

round 1: lorelei, stone cold queen who can step on me
"plan for lorelei: cat and rat fight some ice types"
i led cat vs her dewgong, and slashed it a few times until it died because it IMMEDIATELY rested.
then cloyster came out, and was a jackass with clamp and supersonic, but it died eventually.
rat took out slowbro in a super fang and a few body slams
cat came back in for jynx and ohkod with double edge
then rat came back in and bullied lapras with super fang and body slam until it died
"nice
n ice
ice pun get it"

round 2: HOO HAH
"plan for bruno: bull vs 2 onix, three vs three fighting types"
i led bull, crit the first onix with eq for the kill
then brought in three and pecked some hitmons to death
then i 2hkoed the second onix with bull's eq
then machamp got drill pecked
literally took no damage, not much else to say.

this is where i switched back to set because damn if this wasnt actually too easy now

round 3: old hagatha
"plan for agatha: ghosts are weak to eq"
yeah it's all like the plan said, the ghosts were weak to bull's eq
so was arbok
golbat got HYPER BEAMED
not much to say here

round 4: dragon elite four in a generation where there are 3 total dragon types and 1 total dragon move
"plan for lance: fairies beat dragons right?"
fairy outsped and ohkod gyara with tbolt, which was nice
then fairy ohkoed the first dragonair with ice beam
the second dragonair lived, used dragon rage, then died to the second ice beam
aerodactyl whiffed a supersonic but lived a tbolt, and then proceeded to get healed and use bite before dying to the third thunderbolt
i healed when dragonite came in because i thought "crit hyper beam could one shot me"
no it cant regular scary beam does less than half
ice beam ohkoed

fairies beat dragons

round final: my rival lamer is a lamer
"plan for lamer: set up three amnesias and sweep with bear"
i lead bear against his pidgeot, it does some minor damage to me as i set up but i healed in prep for the next mon and ohkoed with psychic
alakazam came out next and failed to crit with psychic so it ate a body slam and perished. psychic lowered my special tho
rhydon died to surf
exeggutor whiffed barrage as it was 2hkoed by body slam
gyarados hydro pumped me for next to nothing and psychic 2hkoed
zard got ohkoed by surf

ezpz

ok so now we're the champion right? deathless e4 run?

well...

i forgot to get a pic of the hall of fame screen

thankfully kanto doesnt save at hall of fame so if you reset during credits you can refight the e4 the first time

and thats what i did buckle in folx

"the plans are all the same, except this time we use set the whole way through"
except i led rat for lorelei this time. and rat handily took out dewgong with 2 super fangs and a body slam while the seal rested
then i used toxic and super fang and multiple body slams to take cloyster out, but it confused me. damn
i used super fang and toxic to weaken slowbro, then switched to cat to kill it with slash.
i ohkoed jynx with double-edge again
and then rat switched on a blizzard from lapras

but rat is immortal and does not give a shit, although after that i had to start healstalling with potions until i could get an opening
thankfully lapras used body slam which let me get a super fang and 2 body slams in to kill it

"nice"

bruno i decided to lead fairy for to kill the onix with ice beam and get some more xp. this was a genius plan
it worked expertly, fairy's ice beam killed both onix and three killed the fighting types, who did counter and focus energy on the turns they had to hit three. solid

bull did exactly the same thing to agatha. not worth typing out again

lance went the same until the second dragonair, but after the first dragonair fairy leveled up! so ice beam ohkod the second dragonair this time.
this time aerodactyl ALSO landed a supersonic, but got ohkod by crit tbolt
dragonite hit me with hyper beam and i hit myself in confusion, but i snapped out of it on the recharge turn and ice beamed.

get fucked

anyways, finally, the final rival fight
will something go wrong here? (yes but not badly)
this time lamer's pidgeot did 0 damage because it whiffed two whirlwinds and then mirror moved amnesia twice...only to get ohkod by body slam after setting up :v
zam used psybeam, didn't crit, got ohkod by body slam again
rhydon died to surf, again
exeggutor put bear to sleep with hypnosis again, which sucks, so i full healed and body slammed
but i guess the full heal also nuked my stat buffs! or something
because gyara did actual damage with hydro pump and psychic did nil to it! fun.
so i healed up and 2hkod it while it whiffed a hyper beam and 1 out of 2 leers, hitting the second one.
then zard came in and crit a fire blast
but suspense is stupid so im not gonna draw this out bear lived and used surf because of course
zard also lived tho
so i healed again, got trapped in fire spin for a few turns, and used surf again after it used...rage.
so yeah zard died.

once again, and for the final time, ezpz

anyways i took that image right before japanese class started.

with a play time of 70 hours (jesus fuck thats longer than persona 5 took me) and 47 minutes (jesus christ that's longer than x and y took me)
and with a pokedex of 17 owned pokemon
and with 2 dead pidgeotto and the best team ever

i beat kanto

fuck kanto next up is crystal

SweatingCalendar

Alligator lizards in the air, in the aaaaaiiiiiirr
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 24, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
Pokémon[a] is a series of video games developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as part of the Pokémon media franchise
i forgot to get a pic of the hall of fame screen

thankfully kanto doesnt save at hall of fame so if you reset during credits you can refight the e4 the first time

and thats what i did buckle in folx
WAIT WHAT YOU BATTLED THEM TWICE

Its official, you're an absolute mad lad!

Congrats on the run!

mint0h

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
I can’t wait for Bear 2 Electric Boogaloo: Teddiursa

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
WAIT WHAT YOU BATTLED THEM TWICE

Its official, you're an absolute mad lad!

Congrats on the run!
yeah, the second time was a lil harder due to set mode for lorelei and the weird stat drop against lamer, but nothing too bad
also thanks i only have 6 more runs to do
I can’t wait for Bear 2 Electric Boogaloo: Teddiursa
you're gonna have to wait a wee bit longer on that one

hell fuckin yeah it's johto time
crystal time
time to do a bunch of things

last time we beat kanto
this time we fuck up johto

as stated earlier, i'm playing crystal. this is because ive never played gen 2 before.

"damn thats a cute intro. this game already better than kanto"

also, thank christ, i can play as a girl in this game, so i finally get a player character that represents me

picked the girl, named her Jill. normal name for a normal girl, yknow?

also johto music, unlike kanto music, is honestly universally incredible. i love it so much omg

anyways i get my phone from mom, make sure she hasnt been going through my chat logs, and then go check in with elm for the errand.

elm gives me a
bean for self defense purposes, and his assistant gives me a potion. fuck yeah.
more seriously tho, i picked the potato because while yes, i'll have flying types and yes, meganium does fuckall for damage, typhlosion is kinda frail and doesnt do too much damage either, and also takes less time to kill and is less of a headache in the azalea fight.

"I HAVE AN XP BAR! AND COLORS! AND HOLD ITEMS! HOLY SHIT"

the rival's music slaps so fucking hard in gen 2 omg
also speaking of our rival, named Silver because yeah its annoying using another name. sorry. also i like silver for him,,,

this is also when i went to sleep, not just because i had class at 9, but because of strategic game reasons

Noodle the level 2 female sentret was one of those reasons
sentret only appears in morning or day, and i couldnt find a route not named 29...honestly before goldenrod that gave me sentret, at least according to bulbapedia
so yeah i got lucky and didnt have to dip into dupes before falkner thanks to this lovely lass
rlly cute, rlly weak, rlly good pose.

"GOD ITS SO CUTE"

route 46 gave me
Peck the level 2 female spearow.
yeah that's right, peck is back babyyyyyyy
and might stay because i have no idea if doduo exists

now to interrupt this update with SETTINGS

fast text, no battle animations, set mode on, sound is mono, no menu tooltips, ui frame 1, there might have been another setting but its on default too if it exists

anyways

on route 30 i got
Bird the level 4 male pidgey
i actually necromancied the old one but he lost an evo and some xp in the process
also at this point i realized that peck, being the first bird i got, should have been named bird, while bird should have gotten a name related to birds
i fucked up my own name scheme

this is the part where i scoot through route 30 because i really want to get to dark cave before 10 am and get a chance at teddiursa
see, there's two different legal encounters (aka two things that arent geodude and zubat) in violet side dark cave in crystal
these are teddiursa, 5% but only between 4 and 10 am, and dunsparce, 1% at all hours of the day
and i, having used dunsparce before, wanted to try for early teddi and get ursaring asap

after scooting through route 31, encountering only a hoppip so i didnt have to worry about another catch, i went into dark cave and walked around for like 10-15 minutes

and found
Snake the level 4 female dunsparce
1>5 i guess
anyways this is actually a good thing because dunsparce is fucking broken in early johto and still usable into late johto
fuck yeah tsuchinoko real
go snek

also by this point noodle had learned defense curl and bird had learned sand attack. and i got joey's number

then i went back and got the map card because i realized that i didnt have it

and after that i did some light leveling of snake, cuz yknow i wanted to get to level 6 with the rest of the party
and i was looking away from the screen with sound off, because yknow im browsing bulbapedia, studying up
look back and im in a battle with a ledyba.
coulda sworn those were red, not orange

well, actually if you get
Shiny the shiny level 3 male ledyba, yeah its gonna be a golden orange color
imagine that
btw this IS legit take a look at the screenshot

fuckin wild god this things adorable

but i dont want him to die so he's boxed and on the backup squad

also yeah snake did get a few levels and learn defense curl

moving on, in crystal you can do an arcane button combo on the title screen and input a password that is generated based on your name, trainer id, and current amount of money, and that lets you reset the time
unlike animal crossing weeds wont grow in my johto if i time travel so we're making it nighttime baby
and getting
Owl the level 5 female hoothoot from route 31
or, if you are me taking notes, "route 3"

then i reset the time back a) so i wouldn't forget later and b) to get
Rat the level 3 female rattata from sprout tower
rat 2 baybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

damn, that's a full party. that took me four badges and a pokeflute in kanto
fuck kanto

then i ground everyone to 7 for sprout tower and asked mom not to save my money because i need it now for healing items and pokemon capsules

sprout tower was a joke but bird at level 7 gained two levels off a sage's bellsprout of the same level
say what you want about pidgey but they level fast as fuck

Silver said:
i couldn't care less about weak pokemon
silver you use a zubat that thing doesnt get strong until crobat stop acting tough and just admit you're an edgelord who likes pokemon that look edgy or cool or like a bat

also i beat the elder he was kinda free
then i freed up the gym trainers, and went back for more levels in route 31

once everyone hit 9, it was time for falkner

"plan for falkner: i have a fat, angry snek holding a berry"

did you know that dunsparce comes with rage, and that that move plus high bulk for early game allows you to cheese goddamn everything?
well now you do
both falkner's birds were 2hkos

thanks for the badge and mudslap bitch use better birds

Noodle (Sentret ♀ ), level 9
26 HP 14 Atk 13 Def 12 SAtk 13 SDef 12 Spe
Tackle/Defense Curl

Peck (Spearow ♀ ), level 9
28 HP 16 Atk 10 Def 13 SAtk 13 SDef 19 Spe
Peck/Growl/Leer

Bird (Pidgey ♂ ), level 9
29 HP 15 Atk 13 Def 11 SAtk 11 SDef 17 Spe
Tackle/Sand-Attack/Gust

Snake (Dunsparce ♀ ), level 10
41 HP 19 Atk 21 Def 20 SAtk 20 SDef 17 Spe
Rage/Defense Curl

Owl (Hoothoot ♀ ), level 9
32 HP 11 Atk 13 Def 12 SAtk 15 SDef 16 Spe
Tackle/Growl/Foresight

Rat (Rattata ♀ ), level 9
27 HP 16 Atk 13 Def 10 SAtk 12 SDef 19 Spe
Tackle/Tail Whip/Quick Attack

Current Run Progress:
Badges: 1
Deaths: 0
Shinies caught: 1
Tsuchinoko: real

Total Progress:
Badges: 9
Deaths: 2
Shinies caught: 1
Runs complete: 1
Pidgey caught: 4

next time ill get an egg and beat bugsy probably. i guess. expect dupes.

Toyotasomi no Miko

Toyo the Toyo, ft. Ultra Eviolite Rhydon
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Howdy! I'm Toyo the Toyo. So this is what the inside of a Pokedex is like...
rat... 2! oh and return of bird
enjoy your free egg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)