• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Turnabout Mafia

Thread Description
N2 ends 10/28, 12:30 PM PST

greenchu

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
  1. Shortly after Jane shoots Casual, Greenchu contacts me stating that Jane is Apollo, theres no reason for a villager to give me this info.
So IGNORING the big obvious thing that still needs to be confirmed by the host, the reason I contacted you is so that you can have a shot at winning rather than take a 50/50 shooting either me or Jane because Hobo is mafia. If you don't kill anyone this phase, then Hobo could kill Jane next phase and leave you a loser before you take your shot.

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh it ain't me buddy. And Imma do something really stupid to prove it.

VGBM

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 14, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

A shout rang through the courtroom, and everyone turned to look at Hobo

What’s this? Hobo, you just presented forged evidence! I cannot allow this and must ask you to leave at once!

Hobo was a Defense Attorney

Let the proceedings continue.

JaneWolf

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 6, 2019
Wait VGBM said no rules were changed. So calendar is lying. so it could be greenchu or Argentum... What do you both have to say?

greenchu

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
Man I was hoping that someone would fill us in on what the heck is going on when I woke up this morning, but I guess not.

I'm a Villager so I've been completely lost with the whole 3rd party thing. I didn't have a reason to not believe Calendar before his big post that's blatantly lying, his earlier posts made sense with the context that he's trying to kill Apollo.

If we are to believe that Calendar is Viral and Argentum is Villager (as I did), and Jane shooting Casual clearly makes her Village (because she'd just instantly win the game if she shot anyone else instead), then the only players unaccounted for were me and Hobo. Since I'm a Villager, that means Hobo should've been mafia and therefore Jane would be Apollo since Argentum is Villager. It appeared that Calendar was being helpful to Village by giving us a cleared Villager, so why would I want to screw over the 3rd party when the game would end after this phase as either A. Hobo is lynched, and we win because he should've been mafia (and Viral loses), or B. I'm lynched as Villager and Hobo kills Jane that night to win on the spot and continue to screw over 3rd party (since supposedly mafia wasn't working with Calendar). But obviously this all wasn't the case and Calendar's post is also lying since VGBM said the rules weren't changed during the game.

My best guess at solving this mystery is that Argentum is the real Viral and that Calendar is mafia. This scenario would make sense for both sides if Apollo is indeed the real Viral target, Calendar can basically be cleared of any and all suspicion until Viral reaches their end-goal (with such a small game, it wouldn't take long), and Argentum can work with mafia to help find Apollo. Furthermore, I'm thinking that Calendar's vote on me must be with the knowledge that I'm not mafia, because if I was then the game would end if I'm lynched and he (the claimed Viral) would lose. If I'm village however, the game goes on and the Viral (who we know still exists) still has a shot at their target.

I'd be confident enough to vote Calendar here because of the circumstances. If he is Viral, nothing will happen. If he's not Viral, then he's gotta be mafia right?

JaneWolf

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 6, 2019
So at first I was torn and hey lets ignore all Calendar's posts and scum hunt but now that you said that greenchu I'm leaving my vote on you.
If Calendar is Viral and we vote them mafia wins. So that's super scummy coming from you.

greenchu

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
Wait fuck you're right I miscounted, I was thinking "we have 4 players so we can afford a NL if Calendar is really Viral", forgetting that 2 people are dying either next Night or Day because of Viral no matter what. I think I've been playing too much Among Us lately :madfrog:

@Argentum do you have anything to add to this situation? I don't think you've said anything since Calendar's big "reveal".

Argentum

My avatar is in fact a dude.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
A passionate bunch, Argentums are limited by their own minds. Who knows what happens when they break through their mental barriers?
I’m honestly not too sure, but especially after Kesha’s latest post I believe them to be mafia. Why would you tell the person you believed is Viral that Jane is Apollo? I don’t care if you claim you didn’t want to piss off the 3rd party, you don’t just randomly message the identity of the Viral’s target to the Viral while still claiming to be village when the Viral is seems to be going out of their way to try and help village without expected Apollo anymore! And I don’t buy you miscounting, I believe you know Calendar is the real Viral, and you’re trying to get us to lynch him, which would fail, so you can murder Apollo, thus winning the game!

Just to make sure, my vote is still on Kesha.

greenchu

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
I’m honestly not too sure, but especially after Kesha’s latest post I believe them to be mafia. Why would you tell the person you believed is Viral that Jane is Apollo? I don’t care if you claim you didn’t want to piss off the 3rd party, you don’t just randomly message the identity of the Viral’s target to the Viral while still claiming to be village when the Viral is seems to be going out of their way to try and help village without expected Apollo anymore!
If "the Viral" was really helping Village by clearing you as a Villager, then we would have had a proven win between you, me, and Hobo because I received a snowball this phase. I'd announce I was throwing it at Hobo before using it. If it was sabotaged, then it'd be announced that I was hit instead and that would prove I'm not mafia. If it hit Hobo, then we could NL and when no one dies that night we win. Granted, that would be if I could convince you that this plan would work. Oh, and I still haven't mentioned that "the Viral" didn't let us know his other investigation result which could also have sealed us the win. He claimed he investigated you Night 1, and Cirr was probably an obvious target to die N2, and if he hadn't already investigated Jane to be Apollo then that would mean he would've investigated Hobo or me so he could confirm the last player (if he was as nice and trustworthy as he claimed to be).

And I don’t buy you miscounting, I believe you know Calendar is the real Viral, and you’re trying to get us to lynch him, which would fail, so you can murder Apollo, thus winning the game!
And now at this point how would I know that Calendar is the real Viral? He literally just claimed last night that VGBM turned him into a Villager, which has been proven to be a lie. The only thing that I think I can trust from him at this point is that the two of you are working together, since he said that you were clear.

Also as I said before, if I'm mafia then the Viral loses if I'm lynched. Therefore it would be in Viral's best interest to not vote for the mafia.

And again, I said it was just a theory that I had. It's equally possible that Calendar is indeed the Viral and it's you who is the mafia, but based on circumstance I think your roles being switched is slightly more likely in this 50/50... Actually now that I reread my previous post, I think it's the order/phrasing of the last line of my post that's been throwing you and Jane off. I don't want to lynch Calendar because I think he's Viral, I want to lynch him because I think he's mafia. In the paragraph above it that's what I said, please reread it if that wasn't clear.

Also as an aside, are you going to confirm his line of events that implicate you? As in he contacted you last night and you two created some sort of plan?

Argentum

My avatar is in fact a dude.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
A passionate bunch, Argentums are limited by their own minds. Who knows what happens when they break through their mental barriers?
If "the Viral" was really helping Village by clearing you as a Villager, then we would have had a proven win between you, me, and Hobo because I received a snowball this phase. I'd announce I was throwing it at Hobo before using it. If it was sabotaged, then it'd be announced that I was hit instead and that would prove I'm not mafia. If it hit Hobo, then we could NL and when no one dies that night we win. Granted, that would be if I could convince you that this plan would work.
If we’re revealing items, then I guess I can say I have the Blinder. What was it said, that if Mafia had it, Village would be screwed? That’s not the point, I just want to mention it. You’re only now suggesting a plan that you claimed to have, without any proof that you didn’t came up with it as a defence. Also, you didn’t actually bring up my point there about the stupidity of a supposed village to give away the Viral’s target to the Viral, giving them an out. There was no need for that, unless you were really certain Viral wouldn’t kill Apollo, or if you wanted Viral to kill Apollo.

And now at this point how would I know that Calendar is the real Viral? He literally just claimed last night that VGBM turned him into a Villager, which has been proven to be a lie. The only thing that I think I can trust from him at this point is that the two of you are working together, since he said that you were clear.
About that. VG said nothing about the game has changed from what was planned from the beginning, correct? To me, this suggests that this was always the plan if what happened on N1 happened. I wouldn’t discount that as a lie yet, anyways. Regardless, if he did lie, why would that make him mafia, specifically? To me, that would sound like Viral trying to pretend they‘re no longer after Apollo.

And again, I said it was just a theory that I had. It's equally possible that Calendar is indeed the Viral and it's you who is the mafia, but based on circumstance I think your roles being switched is slightly more likely in this 50/50...
Who said anything about me being Mafia? I definitely said nothing about that, Kesha. You know what’s as equally as possible? You being Mafia. Also, if you have the Snowball, why don’t you throw it then? Lynch Calendar, and throw it at me. If Calendar is Viral, then I can’t NK and you can lynch me next day. If I’m Viral, I can’t visit Apollo.

Also as an aside, are you going to confirm his line of events that implicate you? As in he contacted you last night and you two created some sort of plan?
Isn’t it obvious we’re working together and that he contacted me last night? If not, consider this my confirmation. Also “sort of plan”, Kesha? Calendar literally said in the post implicating me that y’know, we were trying to get me to lynch you. He wasn’t even being subtle in mentioning that. Why would he say that if one of us was mafia? That would be admitting our plan was to lynch somebody we know is village all along.

VGBM

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 14, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark

Greenchu, you've been unable to provide a compelling argument, so I must ask you to leave.

Greenchu was Klavier Gavin

And with that, I think I've heard enough to reach a verdict. I hereby find the defendant,

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
okay now that the game's over. please explain the calendar thing. Cause unless I'm insane, if he's telling the truth, I DEFINITELY don't see it in the rules. And that's messed up.

VGBM

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 14, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Winners:
Cirr - Defense Attorney
Argentum - Defense Attorney
Samur - Defense Attorney
HoboHunter - Defense Attorney
JaneWolf - Apollo Justice
Solaris - Athena Cykes
SweatingCalendar - Miles Edgeworth

Losers:
Greenchu - Klavier Gavin
CasualGameFreak - Simon Blackquill

And here's the sheet.

Sorry for keeping y'all in the dark, I didn't want to spoil it, but now the truth can finally come out.
Edgeworth starts the game with one half of the "Truth" and the name of the role that has the other half (chosen at random). Once per night, he can visit someone and learn their role. Once in the game, during the day, he can present his Truth as if it's a Contradiction. If he presents his Truth on the wrong player, or if the game ends without his target leaving the game, then he leaves the game a loser. (If his target is the last mafia to die, that is still considered a loss.) However, if his target leaves play by any means, instead of leaving the game with them, he'll instaed change sides. If he successfully presents his Truth on his target, he will fail to get them off the case and will instead join the opposite side to finish the job. If his target leaves the game by some other means, he will join the same said as them and pick up where they left off. When he changes sides, he will lose his immunity, his Truth evidence, and his investigation action. The split will not reflect this change until his alignment is revealed upon death.
And yes, Edgeworth's target for this game was in fact Athena. When I was coming up with the role for Edgeworth, the main idea I wanted to do was a 3rd party who at some point chooses a side depending on whether the defendant is truly innocent or guilty. I had trouble finding a way to make that work, and eventually settled on "Viral with a twist". (Viral is the only 3rd party roles with an investigative action.) I then wanted the twist to be a secret so that the third party wouldn't try to purposely try to get a certain side or anything. I don't know if there was a better way to do it, but I guess this wasn't the right way either. Perhaps if I revealed that there was a twist without revealing what it was, that would've been better, and I considered doing that, but forgot about it until after the game started, and then it was too late. On the final day I felt trapped, because I obviously didn't want the players to be upset by the twist, but at the same time, revealing something that was supposed to remain a secret felt more like "changing the rules" than the alignment shift itself. Sorry about that.

Onto the game itself, it was still pretty entertaining all things considered. Casual got really lucky on the first day, being investigated by the cop on the same night the cop died, and then getting shot at by a fake gun. Then on day 2, their luck finally ran out. It was kind of a bummer that Edgeworth's target was n1 killed and never really got to play as 3rd party, but pretending he was still 3rd party to everyone was a big brain play I wasn't expecting. Despite how short it was, it was still a fun game. Gg, and sorry again.

Last edited:

greenchu

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 3, 2020
Man I'm definitely not happy about that because the existence of a Viral already influenced everything in the game and every decision that mafia made. If mafia actually did reach out to Calendar, then the game would've been over basically immediately. Viral with an unknown target PR is already a great "twist", you don't need to lie about the role especially since there is nothing that ever hints at the fact that the rules/roles can't be trusted. That role probably would've been fine to include as is if it was described as such in the OP. This type of stuff has to be announced or alluded to when players sign up, which is why Hobo, myself, and probably others don't like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)