• Ten years and still kicking! Nominations are here for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Those Lorelocke 'mons

Thread Description
Here be monsters² (updated 12/10/2020)

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
There is often more than meets the eye to a Pokemon's design (particularly from the earliest generations) - they may infact be heavily influenced by a traditional story or cultural lore that Westerners such as myself are ignorant of...

Roughly four months ago, my good friend and fellow Poke-nut @RubyClaw told me of a vision he had: A set of rules designed to portray the underlying myth or legend a Pokemon is based upon. Before this project I had no idea what a Bakeneko was, and a Yokai to me sounded like some sort of dairy-based beverage.

Luckily Ruby (and Google) was on hand to provide the answers, and he set to work creating the ruleset which can be found here. I initially provided feedback and a little proof-reading, but Ruby's enthusiasm was infectious - possibly due to his background in manipulating viral genetics in The Name Of Science. I decided to draw 150 of the Yokai-Poke Deities described in the Lorelocke rules.

Banners for @RubyClaw's Kantonian Fables Run:

Kanto Dex:

Last edited:

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Like I said in Rubyclaw's Lorelocke thread, I absolutely love these. They're well drawn and super charming. I think the Charizard and Nidoking ones are my favorites. I look forward to when you update this!

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Zorua3 Many thanks! It certainly has made a nice change of pace from drawing the usual handful of characters that my comic revolves around. As a fan of fox-like Pokemon, you'll probably enjoy the next additions:

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Being sick this week has somewhat sapped my creative mojo, but have some more monsters...

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
hello i'm just popping in to say this art is really really cool

dewgong's art is really compelling but also creeped me out, as did kakuna's, and i especially like rapidash's art too. i love how these drawings help bring the pokemon to life as these strange, re-imagined creatures with adverse affects. this is such a cool project and it's great to see xD

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@io_ Thank you for your remarks! And also thank you for giving me the much-needed prod to post the next batch of these critters (good lord, has it really been over three months? Bad mewstein, wicked neglectful mewstein...)

For those wondering what I've been up to during these strange times, wonder no more:

Lockdown in COVID-stricken Britain has seen me put on the government's "Furlough" job-retention scheme. Basically Boris pays my wages while I stay at home and my employer waits for the clients to start requesting upgrades to their websites and applications again. And for the most part I've spent the weeks as far away from my monitor as humanly possible. Well, maybe that's an exaggertion, but it's given me the chance to pursue various hobbies, arts, crafts and various wholesome outdoorsy-type activities that normally wouldn't be feasible due to time and weather constraints.

I've sewn Gen I sprites:

Made Gen I and Gen II sprites out of Hama beads (I think you call these Perler beads in the US?):

Painted some dead actors:

Hunted (and cooked) the invasive American crayfish from the river near my flat:

And when the sun's been shining (and I'm not up to my butt in river water) I've cycling, sailing, standing in socially distanced queues etc. etc.

I do intend on making a return to the forums at some point, but exactly when I don't know - pmost likely it'll be when I return to my dayjob and need an enjoyable way to kill a few minutes between tasks.

Happy Nuzlocking y'all, and Go Team Omega!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
If you're gonna have invasive species hanging around your neck of the woods, you may as well cook 'em and eat 'em.

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@Trollkitten Conservation at its tastiest 😉

Here's another batch of these beasties - the more sharp-eyed amongst you might notice I've started to play around with highlights and coloured outlines from Tangela onwards...hopefully another step towards levelling up as an artist...

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Thought for the day - when's Jynx gonna get another evo à la Magmortar or Electivire?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)