• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
A very short Bede fic. Updates Wednesdays.

Garish Garchomp

Friendly Neighborhood Landshark
Administrator
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
he's ok i guess
I love Galar. The region is gorgeous, the 'mons are great, and the characters are colorful as hell with so many hints and possible complexities and themes to draw from. I've wanted to do something with them for so long, but hadn't written anything other than a couple kinda drabbly things in the wake of the release, one of which was literally just a shoddy Taken parody ft. a Dragapult in the Liam Neesons role.

Then a couple weeks ago, I was having a rough go of things. Felt stuck and demotivated on my main run. Slowed to a crawl on an impending Galar run I've been working out. Life in general felt lethargic and bleh. And this hit me. It's not exactly coping, but it's still a product of sheer nervous energy and a spark I haven't felt in quite a while. It started just as a little experiment in conciseness I didn't expect to finish, based off a lowkey side playthrough. I ended up writing this nonstop for 3 days, agonizing over the later bits, and finally being able to add a little depth to maybe my favorite character in the game, or at least the one I find most interesting.

Note: bc this is me, I take some liberties. I actually stick to the game's narrative more than I usually do, but I still cut and rearrange and diverge from in-game canon. It's only bc I love this fucker.

This was originally written as a oneshot, and by the end I’ll have it all in one piece to read front-to-back as well. Overall, it's about 5,000 words. I currently plan on posting it in 5 parts on the forums, once weekly in all likelihood, bc the forums don't quite mesh with oneshots.

Faith is the future. It’s potential. It’s your road forward.

And then someone slaps a label on you, and labels are a roundabout where you’re stuck in the right lane in rush hour.

It isn’t enough for your family to fall apart faster than a Corviknight ambulance takes to the skies. It’s not enough to waste away in an orphanage, sucking cobwebs and eating whatever scraps they can dig up for you. Not enough to literally fight to survive in there, even if it means you don’t get that half a PB&J for dinner that you needed to get to sleep before midnight. And it sure as hell isn’t enough to be called Bede, which is only marginally preferable to the Wickersham Palace-level Belvedere that even shows up in the dictionary with a posh fucking accent.

Then again, with all the sex toy jokes I’ve dealt with over the years, maybe I should consider changing back. There’s only so many times you can reply about shoving a boot up their ass instead.

No, it’s never enough for people. They need to slap a tag on you five seconds after they meet you, and there’s your whole life laid out, skip the faith. The only way you can get out of it is through failure. You could be a hooligan from the day you’re born even if you live in a fucking castle, but you’re only a golden boy until some chav incinerates half your team like a bloody Call to Arms trailer.

So what am I? Hah. I imagine problem child is right near the top of your list, innit?

In fact, I’ve been called the "little posh brat" by one tabloid already, with more sending their takedowns to press as I speak. Doesn’t matter that calling me a mop-head does a disservice to mops. Doesn’t matter that I’m a bloody orphan with a net worth of negative fuck-all. They see Rose, they see me, and their mind’s made up. All they wonder is why he’d back such a little shit, why he'd throw me his scraps. And I don’t just mean my hatenna.

He’s never answered. He’s never had to. He has faith in me, he gave me a starter and a chance in hell, so I can’t say I care too awfully much myself. For once, a man knows the name Bede and doesn’t curl his lips in disgust.

“Never too high, never too low,” he kept telling me. That’s what the little psychic was for, too. Funny from a man stooping from such great heights to pluck me from the depths. But tell me you wouldn’t bite anyone’s hand off for a damn endorsement when nobody’s endorsed you in your entire life. He tells me to jump, I’ll bring out a pole vault. That’s what faith can do.

All I've been is branded, labeled. All I’ve been is a problem child. Home to home. Fight to fight. Day to day.

They want a problem child? I’ll be a problem all the way to Wyndon fucking Stadium.

Today, I'm summoned to Rose’s Wyndon office, overlooking the city he put so much into. He asks about the hatenna he gave me a couple years ago, making sure she's as ready for the road ahead as I was. He supplies me with potions and pokeballs, everything I’ll need and then some.

And then he asks if I can do a little bit more for him.

He smiles that artificially white smile of his, leans back in his chair. The moment of pause he takes is just to leave me up in the air like a lost flying taxi. “Should you come across any wishing stars on your challenge, just send them right to me. That would be absolutely lovely of you.”

“How many do you need?” I press.

His grin grows a little wider.

“My lad, if you cleaned out the region of them, I would not complain in the slightest.”

Maybe I’ll do just that.

First, the title. "This is a Low" is more or less the closer to Blur's Britpop masterpiece Parklife. I had to find something from the across the pond to rep this run, and honestly couldn't have found a better track than this. For a kid who's had a rough time in life, seems to find his way, and then gets cast out to sea again and has to reckon with a whole different kind of loneliness and, yes, a new kind of low, having such a calming tune about an iconic nighttime radio broadcast just feels right. It's properly moving and soothing, and god if the guitar solo doesn't get me every time too.

Tbh tho I just love Bede. Before I settled on my original idea for a longer Galarfic, I briefly toyed with a full run from his perspective (called Star Machine, the easiest title decision of my life). It didn't pan out, but I've always wanted to come back to him. He has some kind of arc within the game, but there's so much that’s just kinda out-there, and so much you don't see. I mean, come on. Orphan? The forgotten name? Basically everything that runs through his head other than "fuck off"? There's soooo muuuuch grouuunnnnd to cover with him, and the ~5k words I wrote up don't do him justice. But he deserves some justice and exploration, and smarmy neurotic pricks like him are actually literally my wheelhouse, soooo here you go!

Hope you enjoy this brief look into the psyche of Galar’s pre-eminent lil shit, and enjoy reading up on this fucker as much as I love writing him up! Love yall! ❤

SayleeK

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
"They want a problem child? I’ll be a problem all the way to Wyndon fucking Stadium." I feel like this sums up the vibe of this whole piece. I don't hugely like Bede as a person or a character, but the latter's down to how underwritten SwSh is probably and I can't wait to see what you're spinning out of it. We've already got a deeper dive into his orphanage upbringing and how he feels about getting picked up by Rose and I was NOT expected sex jokes about his name but y'know what I laughed :P

Bramble

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Steel, ???
My familiarity with the canon incarnation of this character extends to a half-finished playthru of shield, and "lmao, his name's Bede" But what I do know of the lil asshole tells me that he's a perfect fit for the kind of snarky, nervy narration that's your trademark.

This is looking good so far. There's a mix of just enough genuine grievances to make you feel a wee bit bad for him, with just enough arrogance and prickliness to make you hold off on *too* much sympathy. It's very snappy- you cover plenty of info even in this short space. There's a nearly montage-like quality to his narration of his life up to this point. And fuck, the playing around with the idea of failure and privilege is a really good hook. Idk if the detail of him being from a posh family is fromthe game, but if not it's an excellent twist on the expected "poor lil orphan" trope. His relationship to Rose is interestingly hinted at.There's overall this ambivalence to his character and situation- his heritage has had as much disadvantages as advantages in his life, and he can 't even milk his shit lot in life for sympathy!

Shit to be you, Bede. But hey, it makes for a good read!

localhoney

grook
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Localhoney, the Sweet Toxin Pokemon. It's said that the sounds it emits can paralyze even a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl.
Hey. Hey Gar. Hey Gar. I will put to the side the fact that I am offended that you did not clue me in to the existence of this lovely little fic.

This is great! I still do not like Bede, smug little bastard, even though he definitely got fucked over by Rose and then taken care of by Opal, which would've been a nice character arc to actively see during the games. Interested to see if you're capable of making me more sympathetic to young Belvedere.

Speaking of:
Then again, with all the sex toy jokes I’ve dealt with over the years, maybe I should consider changing back. There’s only so many times you can reply about shoving a boot up their ass instead.
I would definitely go with Belvedere over Bede. Even if you sound like an asshole.
They want a problem child? I’ll be a problem all the way to Wyndon fucking Stadium.
alright this is kind of a cool ass line, maybe a little bit
“My lad, if you cleaned out the region of them, I would not complain in the slightest.”
👀 suspicious

Epsilon

Queen of Birds
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pokémon Type
???
There he is, my favourite piece of shit. At least there's one character in Gen 8 we can both agree we love!

You capture his bastardry and determination to prove himself so well and you can feel how it's all setting up for when it inevitably goes so very wrong for him. Which is of course both fun and tragic.

obligatory PINK

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
It isn’t enough for your family to fall apart faster than a Corviknight ambulance takes to the skies.
Well, that's a highly specific metaphor. >_>

You're changing things from canon, so I sure hope you cut the part in Hulbury where Rose doesn't seem to remember that Bede exists??? The one-sided adoration is the most heart-breaking thing about SwSh's story. i mean other than the part where leon has a champion time while you sit there wondering about the price value

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)