• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Written Story Voice Work Showcase Fan The Writer's Locke: Episode Six!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019

Welcome back to The Writer’s Locke, a Nuzlocke Reading Project! We’re continuing with our second rotation of reads, and all delighted to be here!

This episode, we'll be hearing from:

We've prepared a full transcript for your convenience.

We release episodes every three weeks, on Mondays at 6PM EDT. That means upcoming release dates are as follows:

• July 20
  • August 10
  • August 31
  • September 21
  • October 12 (season finale!)

Your interest and support has gotten us all this far, and we're incredibly grateful for it. If you have any feedback about the transcript or any other aspect of the podcast, we'd love to hear from you! Feel free to drop a post here, in the main Writer's Locke thread, or to send a message direct via forum PM or Discord DM to a member of our crew!

(And along those lines! There were some technical issues with the discussion segment of this episode, and our usual miracle worker was unavailable. Yours truly has done her best in the interim! If you're familiar with DAWs and specifically Fairlight, I'd be delighted if you reached out and we had a brain-picking session sometime.)

And hey, if you want to discuss the discussion, why not think over a couple of these talking points, or hit us up with your own!:

• Are you a planner or a pantser?
  • Have you ever reverse-engineered a story -- starting from its end? If you have a current storylocke, do you know how it will end?
  • What do you think of our host's thoughts on killing all your characters -- good or bad?

The Storylockes:

Gracidea
glancesherlock

Poppy is a Flabebe in search of evolution, ascension, to become one with her lifelong companion: a yellow flower. Captured, far from home, and among strange 'mon, she will make the journey her own. Friendship and love and that incessant bee's buzzing all be damned.

Running Hot
zephyr_iphis

Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to look back. Or at least that’s what Latios says. So when the latest in a series of catastrophes sets her adrift, Ren tries to square with her demons and everything else, good and bad, that led her to this tipping point and plunged her over the edge.

Ren’s story, as she tells it, is about love in all its many forms and permutations. How it soured and broke her, how it warmed and healed her, how it inspired and drove her, and how it’s carried her through—and may well again before the end.

Stolen Dreams
Rumors

In a twist of circumstance, a young man called Shawn wakes up in the hospital one day, remembering nothing of the last several years of his life. Now, with the help of a wisecracking Wartortle, Shawn must piece together the time between his graduation and the present day--perhaps reckoning with some uncomfortable truths along the way.

desert daze
d’angelo russell

sunlight glints off echo canyon's rooftops. phenac's fountains bubble with laughter. the desert wind sings as it slices through pyrite's alleys. motion and change, signs of life, playing in an endless loop.

the cycle continues into its final phase, yet three seek to escape. can they crack the cipher and elude the wheel before it breaks them? or has the spiral progressed too far to stop?

welcome to desert daze

Credits:

We'd also like to extend a very special thankyou to @glancesherlock, Narximba, Gamaliel, SeaMaid, and YOU. ❤

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Are you a planner or a pantser?
I'm a little of both, actually. I do have a general outline of how I want Ori's Gift (and its eventual sequel, Destiny's Shadow) to pan out, but they're both rough outlines that mainly exist in my head (and in my run notes, of course); the nitty-gritty details tend to come to me as I go on.

For instance, I knew that Flicker the Charmeleon (a recently introduced character in Ori's Gift) was going to be a lamplighter, but originally her personality was more peppy and happy-go-lucky, but when I actually got to writing her, she turned out a lot darker and noticeably edgier. Her resemblance to Flick from Animal Crossing was not initially planned, as I completed the Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke the game is based off of before Animal Crossing: New Horizons came out. But Flick physically resembled the image I had in my mind of Flicker, and the names were just too similar to ignore.

Fun fact: Flick is now my favorite Animal Crossing character, and I'm still disappointed that I missed this month's Bug-Off. No, I'm not resetting the time on my Switch. That's cheating.
Have you ever reverse-engineered a story -- starting from its end? If you have a current storylocke, do you know how it will end?
I was introduced to that concept early on as a child by one of the neighborhood kids, and I used it even in my simple scribble-stories (stories with titles such as How The Cats (Almost) Ruled The World, which was not actually as epic as the title implied it to be.)

I know how Ori's Gift will end. I know how Destiny's Shadow will end. Heck with it, I know how my Moon nuzlocke will end, and I haven't even finished playing it yet! (I do have a general plot thought out for my Moon nuzlocke, which takes place six months after Destiny's Shadow, but some elements are subject to change as the actual run is played out and certain characters live or die.)
What do you think of our host's thoughts on killing all your characters -- good or bad?
Well, without going into details, the Omega Ruby nuzlocke I'm basing Destiny's Shadow off of had twice as many deaths as my Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke... so yeah. It's gonna be quite a bit darker than Ori's Gift.

I'm honestly not sure how I'm going to balance the lighter and darker elements of Destiny's Shadow. My hope is to be able to put the deaths of major party members in the context of the importance of defeating what it is they're fighting -- the villains are a doomsday cult that are trying to bring about an apocalyptic event that will destroy all life on the planet. That much being said, if the heroes are going to die anyway, they'd rather die so that others can live. And the main character (whom I've spoken of quite often on the old writechat but have never once named, which is entirely intentional) has to deal with her friends dying left and right as she battles to save Aetherai -- which isn't even her home planet. And that's not even taking into account that character's internal struggle with her own traumatic memories and the demons of her past.

So, yeah, much darker than Ori's Gift.

Plain Yogurt

Happy Dairy Product
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
An ordinary dairy product. Dislikes conflict, and does whatever he can to bring happiness to others.
Lovely job, as usual!
Are you a planner or a pantser? I pretend I'm a planner and then a bunch of off-the-cuff thoughts take things in a different direction.
Have you ever reverse-engineered a story -- starting from its end? If you have a current storylocke, do you know how it will end? I've sketched out the threads of an epilogue for The Y Files. I also wrote a part in the mid-later part of my story that I was super excited to get to.
What do you think of our host's thoughts on killing all your characters -- good or bad? Y'all were getting BRUTAL in that discussion outro, lmao. If it fits the story I guess? Depending on the context though that almost sounds like a messed up joke ending. 😅

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
Silver making me tear up with her delivery. Feel like I played myself. Seriously, I'm a puddle over how she read this chapter. Absolutely beautiful. 😭

And that reverb effect is stunning.

Ditto to the sentiment that you should just use as much time and space as you need to tell your story. The different lengths and POVs and interpretations are what make the forum so fun to browse. Gotta do you, baby. Gotta do you.

Zephyr_Iphis

cryptid
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 18, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It protects itself from the cold by wrapping up in blankets. It loves food and cooks constantly.
This episode was awesome! All of the readings were so good! There were a lot of challenges with this set of chapters, from the emotions of Gracidia to translating the format of Running Hot to audio and conveying the humor, charm, and mannerisms in Stolen Dreams. I laughed, I cried, I loved it.

As for the discussion, it was a lot of fun! I'm a soft planner or plantser, pretty close to Metafiction. Plot and structure are weak points for me, so I like to make a at least a bare bones outline that I flesh out a bit more as I go. I never get too specific because I like to have a room to improvise and let the characters breath. Mine often surprise me and change the trajectory of their arcs. And that organic growth has a lot of value. Hence adjusting the outline as I go.

While I do know approximately how all my runs end (I always finish the gameplay before I start writing), trying to work backwards hasn't worked out well for me, at least as far as the actual writing goes, so I haven't done it in a while. The end of Running Hot changed drastically between the outline and edit and Tightrope has definitely shifted in terms of where the characters are and will be. In fact, most scenes I write ahead of time become irrelevant pretty quickly. But it's still a fun exercise.

As for killing all the characters and making them suffer, it can absolutely be a fount of drama, but a lot depends on the tone you're going for and the world you want to create. And there's certainly not a one to one more death=more drama. Currently, my most dramatic run has the lowest death count by a significant margin. But I agree a little suffering is the spice of life. Your characters have to grapple with something. And with nuzlockes, you do have deal with death in some way. it's part of the package.

WalkingOnCars

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
This was my first time tuning in, and wow! I'm not a huge podcast guy but y'all really killed it with both the readings and discussion. As someone who's still pretty new to writing, I loved hearing all of your different tips and approaches to it, and I definitely want to go back and listen to the first five.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)