• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Voice Work The Writer's Locke: Episode Nine!

cjapples

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, ???
Pokédex Entry
The elusive CJ prefers small spaces such as tiny bookstores, pillow forts, sailboats, and backstage at theaters.
Welcome back to The Writer’s Locke, a Nuzlocke Reading Project! As always, we’ve got plenty for you to sink your teeth into. Or fangs, as the case may be, since our discussion topic for the day centres around gijinkas! Today we have Gracidea nearing its climax, the return of All That We Are, and another outstanding selection from Ashes to Ashes.

This episode, we'll be hearing from:

We've prepared a full transcript for your convenience.

We release episodes every three weeks, on Mondays at 6PM EDT. That means upcoming release dates are as follows:

• September 21
  • October 12 (season finale!)

Your interest and support has gotten us all this far, and we're incredibly grateful for it. If you have any feedback about the transcript or any other aspect of the podcast, we'd love to hear from you! Feel free to drop a post here, in the main Writer's Locke thread, or to send a message direct via forum PM or Discord DM to a member of our crew!

And hey, if you want to discuss the discussion, why not think over a couple of these talking points, or hit us up with your own!:

• What’s your preference for gijinka designs? Predominantly human with few Pokémon features or more Pokémon-like?
  • What are some gijinka-specific worldbuilding premises that you’ve written, or that you’ve enjoyed in others’ stories?
  • If you’ve written gijinka runs, how did you handle inter-species relationships, both between gijinka species and between gijinkas and humans/full Pokémon? If not, what approach in others’ work have you particularly enjoyed?

The Storylockes:

Gracidea
glancesherlock

Poppy is a Flabebe in search of evolution, ascension, to become one with her lifelong companion: a yellow flower. Captured, far from home, and among strange 'mon, she will make the journey her own. Friendship and love and that incessant bee's buzzing all be damned.

All That We Are
Erberor

They called us Beast-Kin, and cast us out

But before long, we were all Kindred to the monsters that ended our world.

Little is known about what led to the Calamity that brought the world to ruin. Some say it was an act of the Gods, some say it was a far darker power - Though it is of little concern now. The Kindred, corrupted fragments of humanity's legacy, have little time to ponder such matters in the face of a broken world.

Ashes to Ashes
Bowser’s Family Vacation

A young girl named Ashley faces an impossible challenge. Her adoptive father is missing, and potentially in danger. Against the wishes of her guardians and of the local professor, she steals away in the night, hoping to find some way to reach him. But before she can, a chance encounter with the rainbow-colored Pokémon of legend grants her the gift of being able to speak with Pokémon--not to mention the weight of a new, remarkable destiny.

Summer Storm
Metafiction

One night at the outset of summer, an adopted teenage girl receives a message in her dreams, telling her to search for her true parents. In the early morning darkness, she takes her pet Chikorita and runs away from home to set out on a journey across Johto. Along the way, she quickly discovers that her journey has blossomed into something she never could have thought possible - and that following your dreams sometimes gives you more than what you bargained for.

Credits:

We'd also like to extend a very special thankyou to @glancesherlock, Narximba, Gamaliel, SeaMaid, and YOU. ❤

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
What’s your preference for gijinka designs? Predominantly human with few Pokémon features or more Pokémon-like?
I like seeing more Pokemon-like gijinkas, because it's their uniqueness compared to normal humans that intrigues me. I'm very much a fan of stories with non-human characters, which is why I jumped aboard the recently spawned trainerless run craze (which likely owes a lot to MouseWithADinosaurTail's Finding Your Roots). Quite honestly, I never really found the same attraction to gijinkas that I have with purely Pokemon runs, but if I did a gijinka run (and I do have plans for a potential gijinka lorelocke if I have the time for it), I'd steer more heavily towards their Pokemon aspects.
What are some gijinka-specific worldbuilding premises that you’ve written, or that you’ve enjoyed in others’ stories?
The one gijinka run that I've really enjoyed is Erebor's All That We Are, which depicts the gijinka as Kindred, created through unnatural means and considered a blight upon the post-apocalyptic world that they live in. Main character Valna, of course, does not believe that the Kindred are a blight, and seeks to enable a better world for them. There's also the presence of a single pure-blooded human (not spoiling who), and the wild Pokemon that attack the Kindred on sight.

My plan for the potential future gijinka run (which I've hinted at in one chapter of Ori's Gift) is to have the run be framed as a roleplay campaign run by and for the cast of Ori's Gift (the ones that survive to the end of the run, that is) of a system called Monsters and Mysteries. (Any relation to my upcoming homebrew Pokemon Burst RPG system is genuinely coincidental.) I haven't quite worked out the details of the campaign other than it being a lorelocke with gijinka characters and each character being played by a party member from Ori's Gift, but it might be interesting to have the RP world be closer to the canon Pokemon world than Aetherai itself is, despite all the characters being humanized mythical monsters. (Also I'm considering having it have some form of notepad clause -- I can still catch new monsters as I encounter them on routes, but I can't switch anyone off my team unless they die. This is because in an actual DnD campaign, usually players don't change characters unless their old characters die. I think.)

Originally, this run was going to be a Let's Go Eevee lorelocke, but now that we're getting closer and closer every day to RubyClaw releasing the Hoenn mons, I'm thinking I might just have that be an Alpha Sapphire lorelocke, because I love love love ORAS and any excuse to replay it is a good excuse. Also, it would be the first time ever that I actually bought a game specifically to lorelocke it.
If you’ve written gijinka runs, how did you handle inter-species relationships, both between gijinka species and between gijinkas and humans/full Pokémon? If not, what approach in others’ work have you particularly enjoyed?
I honestly haven't quite thought that far ahead in my possible future gijinka run, but it could be interesting because some of the lorelocke mons are pretty bloodthirsty. Lord of Agricultural Pests tries to murder Grass-type Pokemon, Kappa Ambush tries to lure a Pokemon into the water to drown them... if one of those guys winds up on the team, they'll probably be Chaotic Evil. Not sure which of my team members would be willing to play a Chaotic Evil character, although the one most likely to do that hasn't even appeared in Ori's Gift yet.

Last edited:

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
Another great episode, guys! Teared up again at Silver's reading because I'm a helpless sap. That was perfect. ;;;;;;

So glad to see Summer Storm get a shout-out here! Really need to get around to reading that one.

Gijinkas are such an interesting topic to tackle because I feel like it isn't something often discussed in the storylocke community? They're definitely a challenge, given the lack of visual shorthand provided by comics. My one attempt at writing a story with them was in a short adaptation of The Nutcracker where the gijinkas were just Pokemon toys brought to life and given a more human form because... magic. Mine's a bad example though because it evades all the intricacies of building a world where a League devoted to fighting is commonplace. Though I have seen others use fantasy as a way to get around this. Gijinka stories feel more aligned with a period-specific D&D campaign than a modern-day story. People who do take the time to adapt the in-game worlds more directly are powerful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)