Welcome back to The Writer’s Locke, a Nuzlocke Reading Project! We’ve got a bumper episode this time around. We’re bidding a fond farewell to Running Hot, which makes way for Ashes to Ashes. On top of all that is an absolute banger of a discussion segment, covering a perennial favourite topic: protagonists!
This episode, we'll be hearing from:
- @csidvuL filling in for @Rainey!
- @SilverDoe, reading us Gracidea by @glancesherlock
- @Fullmental, reading us Running Hot by @Zephyr_Iphis
- A short promotional segment. Tune in to find out which storylocke we mention!
- A lively discussion segment on the topic of Protagonists, conducted by @Rainey and with @Garish Garchomp and @Raderph appearing as guests!
- @Bowser's Family Vacation, introducing the non-linear Ashes to Ashes and its first selected entry, A Father’s Anguish
- @Kirilish, reading us Ashes to Ashes by @Bowser's Family Vacation
- @csidvuL, with some special thanks and our signoff
We've prepared a full transcript for your convenience.
We release episodes every three weeks, on Mondays at 6PM EDT. That means upcoming release dates are as follows:
- August 31
- September 21
- October 12 (season finale!)
Your interest and support has gotten us all this far, and we're incredibly grateful for it. If you have any feedback about the transcript or any other aspect of the podcast, we'd love to hear from you! Feel free to drop a post here, in the main Writer's Locke thread, or to send a message direct via forum PM or Discord DM to a member of our crew!
And hey, if you want to discuss the discussion, why not think over a couple of these talking points, or hit us up with your own!:
- Which approach do you prefer -- building a story around a character, or a character around a story?
- What factors do you prioritise when it comes to a character’s backstory?
- How far is “too far”, in your opinion, when it comes to inserting your own traits and qualities into a protagonist?
Poppy is a Flabebe in search of evolution, ascension, to become one with her lifelong companion: a yellow flower. Captured, far from home, and among strange 'mon, she will make the journey her own. Friendship and love and that incessant bee's buzzing all be damned.
Sometimes in order to move forward, you have to look back. Or at least that’s what Latios says. So when the latest in a series of catastrophes sets her adrift, Ren tries to square with her demons and everything else, good and bad, that led her to this tipping point and plunged her over the edge.
Ren’s story, as she tells it, is about love in all its many forms and permutations. How it soured and broke her, how it warmed and healed her, how it inspired and drove her, and how it’s carried her through—and may well again before the end.
Ashes to Ashes
Bowser’s Family Vacation
A young girl named Ashley faces an impossible challenge. Her adoptive father is missing, and potentially in danger. Against the wishes of her guardians and of the local professor, she steals away in the night, hoping to find some way to reach him. But before she can, a chance encounter with the rainbow-colored Pokémon of legend grants her the gift of being able to speak with Pokémon--not to mention the weight of a new, remarkable destiny.
The Knife Ridge Scrolls
For hundreds of years, the scrolls found sealed in an urn under the Knife Ridge of the Indigo Mountains have gone untranslated. Written in an ancient script in an unknown language, they have been one of the great mysteries of Kanto and Johto's shared history. Then one day, a prominent historian receives a very strange email...
The Knife Ridge Scrolls is a unique take on Pokémon Gold. Framed as a translation of ancient texts, it details a war-orphan's desperate attempts to survive in the Pokemon equivalent of feudal Japan, including the thefts of some very rare Pokemon.
- Producers: @csidvuL, @Rainey
- Editors: @cjapples, @songwithnosoul
- Assistant Editors: @Erberor, @Zephyr_Iphis, @SilverDoe
- Voiceover: @Rainey (host), @csidvuL (host fill-in), @SilverDoe (reader), @Fullmental (reader), @Kirilish (reader), @Garish Garchomp, @csidvuL, and @Raderph (guests)
- Writers: @glancesherlock, @Zephyr_Iphis, @Bowser's Family Vacation
We'd also like to extend a very special thankyou to @glancesherlock, Narximba, Gamaliel, SeaMaid, and YOU.