• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Sinnoh Written Log The Monstrosity- Chapter 18 is up early! 8/11/22

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Three rulesets, one Specs

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
So! Since everyone wants to see me suffer (including myself), this run will be a log of my playthrough of Brilliant Diamond using 3 unique rulesets- my own Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets, and @RubyClaw 's lorelocke rules.

This is a sort of accompanyment to The Hippocratic Oath, my storylocke of my first playthrough of the doc-locke and naturelocke rules. Except this run is going to focus on gameplay only. So if you're curious about what these rulesets are like but don't have time to keep up with a storylocke, or if you have been following THO and just want more details on what the gameplay is like, this is the run for you!

Since The Hippocratic Oath is still my primary focus, updates for The Monstrosity are going to be sporadic, with no update schedule.

Updates the second and last Saturdays of each month!

1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be permaboxed.
2. Only catch the first Pokemon you see in each area. (Dupes clause on- 3 chances for a new encounter)
3. Battle style is set.
4. Doc-locke rules
5. Super Naturelocke rules
6. Lorelocke rules

aDhD4vL.png

hqRSeLA.png

41rPRFc.png

Spike, Mumble, and Bella by @Trollkitten

cZUzVxmwoSJSs7sOVGkzxSKrOy34iEstSERhIJJ9p-_gSRE9xQmJEJ3a3FFuAJ6URK64JTseNMqKzDiJVlaVqrO7UIP0CmDGT-RKYeEWGQRB8ZGgQhBcEsriszH5ndtpT8thJH1q

GfJwlz8e4R44pNM4TOKKeg3FqGwoaAJPoW9uLMNLB1CYikqzsRnpyVbhIlXy5XDyqBh1ZQZI2VW0e7gjWfZ3kdCkvKlgwwzoG_tthlmfkSoXAalO0D33x1SDryTY8IxMuXwjdyOO

Winn Dixie and Rosie by @Trollkitten

T8utRB8YsJyBQmb0QiaRwqyYwTrYsMGt0bWTJ9yR62s2Xq-Glz5SMJj43bfNPBV1CD_H658gXIT_L22-gCvZjyF5BdWDOo5fubGHAx7NgmULAWDhdxjfgmg9hwfbfi7rdLMTtEyt

4QVGC2J5S7NTk_R2tROyQH9N3O0oFA3bpv5jfrtQtEO8kl-Q0azYq0jaa2xBdmTqZyZu6cUqk5VtW7Gu2lc0yevlvYHdGuRWLdfCyvwT8jgdqPRtNA1t7oPDm6uTvHXYrZOSVuPW

WByVOTeSFP4ChyOhhI2pRv8GC2kbPEyyy4CSDVazUe_PDdGSC2IVnTONb22R2Ny5kBinKX83YCnBlP9tzj_LjPOib3FHSqYwoi55Dz3VUym3m8vXAkjplLCOJqQY6-JKP736qYtI

1WuO2Bjh4-UN5aN-JWcttLSyx2-GwuqQlSp6Z3mEy7zLNqpk4ZjDhN-Fx7mY-ePqz3mVXww4kJ2_1UQO-S1FKwPrxxsuPuUdrhQ4RrlIRB6_9invfbuVtC5iWixy4U9gZhPpNpTS

Blue, Roxie, Brutus, and Steel by @Trollkitten

4R3OXzSkgwoRxDhm42U-o1ohU8OzHz6l_Uq1JnyVUmbsb4B1ZUI2Z4bWlozYelutlRiMTtYeN-lPkZ2EP5w-OabPvz0QSrLvqwWurPhaEbZ5tnBKOnrUVK6ioTRWih9PVPGREeCK

Evolved Winn Dixie and Mumble by @Trollkitten

lCMHif2.jpg

The whole family up until Chapter 9 by @Rubombee

cJQUeEq.png

Ginger by @Giogeth

GUJXCfy.jpg

Beethoven, Spook, Ollie, Rex, Ginger, and Peaches by @Rubombee

nfbcTuv4TIZwnbnHf1dzM2zlX6ehXe-YBuYzSRtCioDn1N8vkpG412g4dRno-_x-KD1x5fykCq-P25DR0uGEoiynBPGgMe5kXEfQejzIG0uClVBPuu8m37zfhf-_aUIvW5DQckHGD9lov3GNGw

Spook, Beethoven, Cooper, Nelly, Percy, and Stella by @Rubombee

Chapter 1

When I first played my doc-locke/Super Naturelocke combo on Let's Go Pikachu, my fiance always made fun of me for playing the game for approximately 5 minutes and then spinning an RNG and typing for like 30.

He's not wrong. Because before we even start this dang game, we have to set the scene on our doc-locke clinic.

Part 1: A Tour of the Clinic

mpSIe6B.jpg

Each clinic starts out with 25 'slots' of space to keep Pokemon.

GWLagrV.jpg

Palkia says space is important in a doc-locke run!

Small Pokemon only take up one slot, but bigger Pokemon use more space. Some Pokemon need different types of space- for example, a Pokemon that breathes water like a Magikarp or Goldeen would need a pool of water to stay in. Also, sometimes a Pokemon may have a contagious illness that require isolated space (readers of The Hippocratic Oath recognize this from Bravewhisker the Pikachu). You can update your clinic's space with grants won through gyms or doing good deeds, but we will talk more about that when we get to that point.

So, now we have our clinic! But a clinic costs money to run. Each week, we are going to get a bill for utilities and food for the Pokemon. Which brings me to my next two points: time and money.

ff2Q2eM.png

Dialga says time is important in a doc-locke run!

The doc-locke divides the game into days in order for there to be a progression of time for your Pokemon to heal. Assuming the trainer sleeps for 8 hours, that leaves 16 hours left in the day to progress through the game. For every two trainer battles, one hour passes. For every 5 wild Pokemon encounters (including running away from encounters), one hour passes. Also, depending on how many Pokemon you have and the severity of their conditions, it may take an hour or two just to care for them all every day. I keep a counter to keep track of how much time I have left in the day. Right now, with the game having just started, my counter would look like this:

16 T0 W0

Indicating that I still have 16 hours left in the day, and I haven't battled any trainers (T) or wild Pokemon (W).

Battling trainers not only earns you money in-game, but it also earns you money for your clinic!

3DcxtC4.png

Meowth says if you aint got no money take yo broke ass home...in a doc-locke run!

Every time you earn money in-game, you also earn money for the clinic. 100 pokeyen= 1 USD for the clinic. Selling items also counts toward your clinic funds, but buying items or using your in-game pokeyen does not take from your clinic funds. I did think about making that a rule, but I think this is crazy enough the way it is, no? However, it is a rule that if you 'lose' a battle by either using more Pokemon than your opponent or using more than three items in a battle (unless the opponent uses more), you have to pay your opponent whatever clinic money you would have gained. Also, whatever money you start out with also counts toward your clinic funds. Which means we can finally turn the game on! Yay!

2n442bY.jpg

And we already have someone rooting for our demise via bankruptcy. We have meds to buy, dammit! Also I named the rival Ranumgen after my greatest frenemy- the almighty RNG.

In this game, the trainer starts with 8000 pokeyen, which means we have $80 in our clinic fund. Not bad to start out!

And I think that's everything for the clinic, isn't it?

25/25 spaces available
$80 in the fund
16 T0 W0

We set the scene, and now it's time to introduce our contestants for the role of starter!

Part 2: Choosing a Starter

Now, every time we introduce a new Pokemon is going to be quite a process. Because each Pokemon is going to have their own conditions from each of the three rulesets you all so kindly bestowed upon me. The first aspect of our new Pokemon friends we are going to dive into is their lore rule, which is determined as soon as the encounter begins, before you even obtain the Pokemon. Because of this, I am going to roll for each potential starter's lore rule before I choose.

a14ZATK.png

Turtwig- The Minogame
Randomize the age of this pokemon from 1-10,000. Age 1-5000 - It can’t use any Special moves (Except Bite in games in which it is special) or moves involving the tail. 5001-10,000 - Can’t use any Physical moves (and Bite in games in which it is special), except Tackle and only if it is the only damage move it has. Loses this lore rule (either version) when it evolves into Torterra.

I decided to go ahead and determine how old Turtwig would be and got 6035, which means he can't use physical moves. Pretty crippling. Can’t learn a special attack until level 25. However, still has withdraw, curse, and growth to play with. I like all the Sinnoh starters, but I am leaning toward starting with Turtwig despite the lore rule because when I played through Diamond for the first time all those years back, I had a Turtwig named Spike as my starter.

IqAfuqI.jpg

Chimchar- Eager Trainee
Must use every vitamin you own on it. Must learn every move it is offered to learn (including move tutors, not including TM/HMs). Must participate for at least 1 turn in every trainer battle that takes place in a gym, including the gym leader battle, else it leaves you. Loses this lorerule when it reaches lvl 40.

Normally the whole 'must replace old moves with new rules' caveat would drive me insane, but the level up progression of Chimchar's moveset is pretty decent. Not too bad of a rule; definitely better than Turtwig.

LOySyGt.jpg

Piplup-4) Chosen of Tawaki
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Electric pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Electric type pokemon as you catch them. Must know the move Rain Dance if possible. Can only evolve into Empoleon after you sacrifice a Thunder Stone.

Okay, so. This rule would be the best of them all if only I knew for certain about a Thunderstone. Apparently you can only find one in the wild pretty late in the game. And I know there used to be stones in the Underground in the original games, but I am getting conflicting answers from the internet as to whether or not you can still get them in the remakes. The games are still very new at the time I'm writing this, and walkthroughs aren't yet complete.

To no one's shock, I couldn't make a decision as to which starter I wanted to pick, so I prayed to RNGeezus for the best option.

And RNGeezus said unto me: Let there be turtles.

So Turtwig wins the day, even with the worst lore rule of the bunch. Because I love pain.

And I'm already irritated because the game won't let me look at my Turtwig's stats until I finish the Starly battle, so I can't see what kind of naturelocke rules I have to play by.

uHSGc6C.jpg

However, holy cow, that is just one Tackle from Turtwig vs one Tackle from Starly. That's one beefy boi.

Once that battle is over, I can finally move on with the process of getting to know my Pokemon. Turns out he is quiet and quick to flee, exactly the personality you want from the leader of the team. Readers of The Hippocratic Oath will already be familiar with the Quiet nature from our girl Kessie. But for those who aren't familiar, here is the breakdown:

Before earning points, you must cover the HP bar and turn the volume off while the Pokemon is in battle.
At 25 points, the volume can be left on.
At 50 points, the trainer is allowed one peek at the HP bar per battle.
At 75, you must only cover the HP bar during important battles.
At 100, full communication between trainer and Pokemon is allowed.

+3 points for every trainer battle that results in the Pokemon still in green health.
+5 points when the trainer heals the Pokemon in battle when needed.
+5 points if the trainer goes an entire period between gyms (including the gym battle itself) without death

-1 point if the trainer loses a battle*
-2 if the trainer performs poorly in a gym battle (by using more Pokemon than the gym leader or more then 3 items during the battle)
-3 if taken to red health
-10 if a teammate is killed.

And then, last but not least, we have our Doc-locke rules. Time for a check up!

Typically, a Pokemon has a 1 in 7 chance of being healthy. But since this is a starter and it's hard to start out with a severely incapacitated Pokemon, we will give Turtwig a 1 in 4 chance of being healthy.

We roll... and the RNG was merciful! Our Turtwig is healthy!

Typically, I would also RNG a general age group for each Pokemon (baby, child, adolescent, adult, or elder) but we already kind of did that for his lore rule so we will say he is an adult. I'll go into more detail on how each Pokemon's doc-locke rules are born for our next catch.

And now for a name! I decided, for nostalgia's sake, to go ahead and name him Spike. And henceforth my naming theme for this run will be common dog names. This may or may not be influenced by the fact that Shades and I recently adopted a puppy together.

I will now show you pictures of said puppy even though it has nothing to do with this nuzlocke. His name is Banjo and he is the goodest boy.

eXSWDWQ.jpg

y9OfE9U.jpg

ANYWAY! Now that we have our first Pokemon fully assessed, we can throw it all into his medical chart. Yes, he still needs a medical chart even though he is healthy. He can still become injured if he takes a beating in battle.

Starter

kaY3oHqDC9rdkJ9-feZJB26tdWRkh8eqIZx6up99P7TBiMFAoyp3b3CVCqoq7DabzWw5-Z55nmeY4rp6TMuSiuMdA_c5b62qRjks645iwEnhNj79wKko2KcjuzR3_al0chZ-Ev_a

Name: Spike
Species: Turtwig
Sex: male
Nature: Quiet; Trust points: 0
Characteristic: quick to flee
Lore Rule: The Minogame
Diagnosis: Healthy
Prognosis:
Limitations:
Treatment:

Okay so that wasn't too painful, right?!...Right?

*coughs* well, now that I've done a thorough explanation, our next encounters should be a little smoother.

Part 3: The First Encounter

On Rt. 201 we encounter a Starly and roll his lore rule...

Starly- Harpy Ancestry
Whenever you add Starly/Staravia/Staraptor to your party (including when first caught) randomize a pokemon in your party. It is spirited away, box it, and it will only return to you after you defeat the next gym / reach the E4. Other pokemon in your party can’t equip berries or use berries while Starly/Staravia/Staraptor is in your party (as it steals them).

..........Oh, goodie!

Okay so we need to think carefully about whether or not we want to catch this thing. Under normal circumstances, this might not be worth it. However, Spike isn't even going to be useful for the first gym since his only usable move will be Tackle unless there's some funky stuff going on with TMs and move tutors in these remakes. So it's not actually worth missing out on this encounter just to keep my starter for one gym period. The only problem I'm going to run into is grinding this thing to a reasonable level, because it's only at level 2. I'll just have to be extra careful and use lots of healing items until we have an upper hand on the other level 2 wilds.

So I take a risk and catch the Starly, waving goodbye to Spike as he is spirited away to the Harpy nest. I name the Starly Mumble....which isn't necessarily a popular dog name, but I had a Staraptor named Mumble alongside Spike in my first Diamond playthrough and I couldn't resist.

Then I checked Mumble's nature....and ran into my next problem.

Mumble is Hasty, which means:

Before earning points, a hasty Pokemon will not use items when out in battle or use held items. The Pokemon can still use healing items outside of battle or when switched out.
At 10 points, the Pokemon has a 25% chance of using an item in battle.
At 30 points, the Pokemon has a 50% chance of using an item in battle.
At 50 points, they have a 75% chance of using an item in battle
At 100 points, the Pokemon will always accept items and will use hold items.

+2 for being taken to red health
+2 for causing the loss of a battle*
+15 if a teammate dies trying to heal them in battle
+15 if another Hasty Pokemon dies due to their trait.

So my plans to heal-spam grind this level 2 Starly have gone straight to poke-hell. Basically, my only choice is to hope that we can survive enough lv2 vs lv2 matches, healing after each one, to grow some levels and essentially make Mumble my substitute starter.

...But what happens if Mumble gets killed? I don't know if that would automatically bring Spike back from his abduction or not. If I'm interpereting that rule correctly, this may be the end of the game already!

Making that dire realization, I decided that my best bet was to go back to Verity Lakefront and get my wild encounter there- which will likely be a Bidoof, who I will rely heavily on for the first gym.

But first, I have to finish examining this Starly for injuries and illnesses!

First, we determine the age of the Pokemon. Since he's a first stage Pokemon, he is more likely to be a baby or child than the other stages. So, when rolling, there will be 2 slots for baby, 2 for child, 1 for adolescent, 1 for adult, and 1 for elder (RNG 1-7). We roll, and determine that Mumble is a child.

What does age have to do with anything? In a doc-locke, age can affect how a Pokemon heals from their ailment. THO readers can use Bravewhisker the elder Pikachu as an example of that.

Now, we all know that Pokemon grow quickly. Therefore, I also implement an aging process so that each Pokemon can go through the developmental stages as the days pass. This is just an arbitrary number I make up that varies based on the Pokemon's species. For Mumble, birds grow pretty quickly, so he will become an adolescent in 7 days.

Next, we roll to see whether or not he has an impairment (1 in 7 chance of being healthy)- RNG says he does have an impairment.

After that, we roll to see whether it is a mild, moderate, or severe impairment (RNG 1-3). RNG says it's mild. Then we roll to see whether it's an illness or an injury (RNG 1-2) RNG says injury. To determine where the injury is, I divide the body into parts and RNG which part is injured. For Mumble, I divided it into the head, body, left wing, right wing, left leg, and right leg (RNG 1-6). RNG says the injury is to the right leg. Now I can further divide it up into the leg itself, the foot, and the 4 toes (RNG 1-6). RNG says it's the foot. Now I just use my imagination to come up with a mild injury to a foot. Looks like Mumble stepped on a thorn.

This is now Mumble's primary diagnosis. There can be secondary conditions, but they can't be more severe than the primary diagnosis. Mumble has a 1 in 4 chance of having a secondary impairment- RNG says no. Pretty straight forward! Then we determine if the injury is new or old (since it's a mild injury, it's a 1 in 3 chance of being an old injury- RNG says it's new). This is good news, because old wounds that are left untreated are more likely to be infected.

Now that we know what's wrong, we have to determine how to treat it! But first, there is one factor that can affect how Mumble handles the treatment. Pokemon with difficult natures might be resistive to care- just like some real life animals don't like to be handled. To determine this, we use the RNG to see if Mumble is never difficult, sometimes difficult, or always difficult (1-3). RNG says Mumble is always difficult for care. Mumble is becoming more and more of a pain in the ass. Boy golly am I glad he's essentially my starter now!

In the medical charts, the next thing after diagnosis is prognosis, which is how the injury or illness is likely going to progress. This is a pretty simple wound, so we'll say there's a 10% chance of healing that increases by an additonal 10% each day. With the appropriate treatment, the chance of healing increases by 15% instead of 10.

After determining the prognosis, we explore any limitations the Pokemon might have because of their impairment. The main concern about a wound on the bottom of the foot is infection, so any attacks that involve using the feet, like Sand Attack, can result in an infection. So can the enemy's poison attacks or moves like Spikes that set floor traps.

And then finally, we figure out how to treat the impairment. This one is simple- just put a little neosporin on the wound- 0.25 of an mL twice per day.

Once all is said and done, the final chart looks like this:

Rt. 201

J879oaDxBtIvek2JSpi96OAPPR39DaegG0AxPFFcbmNQ6KJshErF3RELM1Fhbwx6I1Rk4rVqO3LGY7qgeCCFHnRjrYjE6rdkjBa5iT9KHXqE3w6mfmkd3X_iwrwUuWUGjbKgRR0-

Name: Mumble
Species: Starly
Sex:male
Nature: Hasty; Wisdom points: 0
Characteristic: scatters things often
Lore Rule: Harpy Ancestry
Diagnosis: Puncture wound from thorn
Prognosis: 10 % chance of healing increased by 10% each day, increases to 15% with neosporin.
Limitations: Moves involving feet may result in infection, as will getting dirt or grime in the wound.
Treatment: .25 mL neosporin BID

(BID is medical terminology for twice per day, SID is once per day, and TID is three times per day)

Now, the last thing we have to do before we move on is purchase our supplies! A 30 mL tube of neosporin costs $6. So I subtract $6 from my clinic fund, leaving us with $74. And then I add the neosporin to my list fo supplies, which looks like this:

Supplies
Neosporin 30/30 mL ($6)

Once we run out of a medication, we have to buy more. We can skip giving the first dose on the day we catch the Pokemon, but we will have to give it tonight when the first day is over.

.........I promise this will be a lot less grueling now that I got to explain what an actual doc-locke examination looks like. To prove it...

Part 4- Help me, Bidoof! You are my only hope.

So, our survival depends on Bidoof. This run is off to an excellent start, isn't it?

But, catching said Bidoof is going to be a delicate affair. Because my run might be over if Mumble dies trying to catch the Bidoof, and it might be over if I can't catch the Bidoof.

We go to Lake Verity.

My first encounter is indeed a female Bidoof. Now I'm gonna try to break down our encounters in a quicker, more streamlined way:

1. Lore rule:
Descendent of Wishpoosh
Can’t have any other Water type pokemon or pokemon with Water type moves in your party while Bidoof/Bibarel is in it. If you ever fish, Bidoof/Bibarel leaves you.

2. Catch: I decided to use Tackle one time and then go for the Ball. Click! Success!

3. Nature: Careful. This would not be a difficult nature to provide treatment to, unlike Mumble.
Before earning Points, a careful Pokemon must either switch or heal when at less than 50% health.
At 50 points, the Pokemon will only need heal or switch during important battles.
At 100, the characteristic disappears.

+25 points for each gym period* spent without a death.
If there is a death, the Pokemon will lose all their bravery points unless the death was caused by a lack of wisdom.

4. Doc-locke:
A. Age: Another first stage Pokemon, so same odds as Starly- 2 slots for baby, 2 for child, 1 for adolescent, 1 for adult, and 1 for elder (RNG 1-7). RNG says adolescent.
B. Is the Pokemon healthy? (1/7 chance of being healthy). RNG says there is an impairment.
C. Severity of impairment (Mild, moderate, or severe?) Mild.
D. Injury or illness? Injury.
E. Where is the injury? (Head, body, 4 legs)- back right leg. The leg itself or the paw? RNG says paw.
F. Primary diagnosis- broken toe.
G. Is there a secondary impairment (1 in 4 chance)? No.
H. Prognosis- 5% chance of healing increases by 10% per day.
I. Limitations- for each time a physical move is used, subtract 1% chance of healing per day.
J. Treatment- Normally we can just have the Pokemon rest and stay off the foot, but we're gonna need homegirl to battle. Therefore, to allow her to use her foot without putting any weight on the injured toe, we are going to have her wear what's called a toe offloading boot, which looks like this:

b52HygF.jpg

I've seen these shoes (and it's opposite counterpart, the heel offloading shoe) used quite often in my own patients in the healthcare field.

However, wearing one of these shoes takes some getting used to, so our Bidoof hero is going to be a little off balance. There is a 5% chance that every physical move will fail during her first 3 days in the boot. However, wearing the boot protects her from that -1% chance of healing when using physical moves. Broken bones are also painful, even the small ones, so we'll give her some ibuprofen for pain- 1/4 tablet twice per day.

And that's it for Bidoof! I decided to name her Bella, the most common female dog name. And here is Bella's final chart:

Verity Lakefront

-wJH6_s8gxxAcRJnvRiMl9n8iPiuyZ76T2wngb5xD8_CLvMVFcWDdk6Uqhtr95LmT3T4HwGfhHEycp92rUiTcWAURtqQd0Dx-DbnpmVFywBQ1OJn5yYu8dru1As32HXE2Z9ITdCM

Name: Bella
Species: Bidoof
Sex: female
Nature: Careful; Bravery points: 0
Characteristic:
Lore Rule:
Descendent of Wishpoosh
Diagnosis: Broken toe on back right leg
Prognosis: 5% chance of healing increases by 10% per day.
Limitations: Without toe offloading boot, every physical move used would subtract 1% chance of healing per day.
Treatment: Toe offloading boot and Ibuprofen for pain- ¼ tablet BID.

We purchase the toe offloading boot for $12 (I came up with that number because a standard human one is $24, and a Bidoof shoe would be quite a bit smaller). And we also buy some ibuprofen for $20 for 100 tablets. So our clinic now looks like this:

Clinic
Space: 22/25 available in main room
Funds: $42

Supplies
Neosporin 30/30 mL ($6)
Ibuprofen 100/100 ($20)
Small toe offloading shoe ($12)

And with that, I think that's all these rulesets are going to allow for our first update. What a motley crew we have. A pain in the ass Starly, a Bidoof who's going to have to carry us all on her back, and a Turtwig in a pear tree. Oy vey.

Now that I broke everything down in detail, I'll go through future catches a little quicker so that we'll hopefully be able to gain a little more ground with each update. So next time, we'll battle some trainers and see how all these rules come into play during battles!

Thank you and apologies to all zero people who made it to the end of this without RNG-induced brain damage. I'll see all zero of you next time. Cheers!

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Oh dear, this is painful to read. Must be painful to play, too. Your starter's basically useless, you're quite a bit down on funds... I hope your luck gets better, for your sanity. At least Mumble and Bella's injuries are only mild and treatable. And once Spike is able to use Special moves (after you hopefully beat Roark), at least he won't have any injuries holding him back. Good luck with this. (Keeping track of all the rules has gotta be a nightmare, too. I commend you for that.)

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Oh, my. Oh my oh my oh my oh my oh my. I don't know whether to pray for your sanity or just accept it as a lost cause.

Still, this ought to be interesting. I'm currently doing a Shining Pearl nuzlocke of my own combining the lorelocke with the 'runner styles' of Bryss's GoC White 2: Bet Runner, and thankfully my early game went considerably more smoothly than yours as. Although once I get to Gardenia's gym, who knows what will happen?

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
oh.
this-
oh.
That's...

I really want to do a doc locke now.

aegagrusScholarship

Problems and Issues Haver
Artist
Writer
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 9, 2021
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
all of them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon craves attention and recognition, but becomes an absolute mess if given either. Often seen starting multiple projects and finishing none.
jesus heckin’ christ that’s.

that’s.

That Sure Is A Ruleset. Multiple rulesets. Those sure are rules. Those rules sure are going! They’re… it’s— it’s sure happening.

This is horrifying I want to see more.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
What I want to know is, did Mumble have the thorn in his foot before carrying Spike off, or did Spike live up to his name and inflict the injury on Mumble as he was taken? I think the latter makes more sense, given how hard it would be to carry off a Turtwig with an injured foot.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
This is freaking amazing! Firstly, of course, because of the madness and dedication I know only you have to be able to carry this project (Shades is totally right and I heard similar things from my wife :p). Secondly because I love the story behind this - imagine a doctor who takes care of whimsical fantastical beasts, now that's a movie I'd watch! And I love how much personality each of your mons already has thanks to all the rules.

Lucky that Spike doesn't have a condition that requires constant care, otherwise you might be in a problem with him being spirited away.

I know I said I'll avoid BDSP runs while doing my own blind run here, but I'll just be careful and make sure to follow only up to where I currently at as I can't miss this run.

Best of luck! (You'll probably need it).

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
https://deviantart.com%2Feurekatrollcat%2Fart%2FThe-Monstrosity-Spike-the-Turtwig-900187538 https://deviantart.com%2Feurekatrollcat%2Fart%2FThe-Monstrosity-Mumble-the-Starly-900187875 https://deviantart.com%2Feurekatrollcat%2Fart%2FThe-Monstrosity-Bella-the-Bidoof-900188098
(Yes, I am aware that realistically speaking, Bella would prefer to stay on all fours while her broken toe heals. I put her on two legs initially because I thought it would be cute, and later realized that it helped show off her toe offloading boot better, so I kept it that way. I imagine a Pokemon with a Careful nature would be prone to cautiously looking around on two legs to ensure safety, although obviously with that toe of hers she wouldn't be able to do so for too long.)

Last edited:

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I'm excited for this. The unholy rule fusion abomination to end all rule fusion abominations(Almost makes me want to do this one rule abomination I've wanted to do for a while, though I got to beat the base game first). It's great seeing the chaos unfold. May Bella be your savior. What is her ability? With Simple and defense curl, Bidoof can become a pretty good physical tank especially when combined with rollout. Hopefully you catch a Machop to help you out with the first gym as I don't see how this team is going to get by otherwise. What's the chances that they can't use fighting any type moves(I Jynxed it, didn't I)?

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
It's time... for me to dive into this. 👀
When I first played my doc-locke/Super Naturelocke combo on Let's Go Pikachu, my fiance always made fun of me for playing the game for approximately 5 minutes and then spinning an RNG and typing for like 30.
Such is the curse of those using Specs rulesets. 😔

Yay for the Turtwig love!
turtwig-happy.gif

So I take a risk and catch the Starly, waving goodbye to Spike as he is spirited away to the Harpy nest.
...Oh. Goodbye, Turtwig.

🙏 Bella 🙏

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Shoot, got ahead of myself and forgot to post replies! I'll just edit those puppies in...

@Kit_The_Feef - Oh it sure is painful to play. But that's how I roll. I roll with great difficulty. Uphill. Bless you for attending.

@Trollkitten - I am HERE for your headcannon for all my little problem children and thank you so much for drawing them!!! It is officially canon that Spike caused Mumble's injury and Bella walks on two feet. Absolutely obsessed and you are a treasure for bringing it to my attention.

@Moon - If you can really read all this and your reaction is to say that you want to do a doc-locke......you'll fit right in here.

@aegagrusScholarship - The rules sure are happening. I am trampled by rules. Bless you for sharing in my pain.

@RubyClaw - I knew you would understand my pain of playing for 5 seconds and then documenting for an eternity later. I'm glad your wife gives you a hard time for it too lol. And I honestly hadn't even considered that with Spike but you are absolutely right- if he had a condition this would have caused some major problems. So far it seems like you're ahead of me so hopefully spoilers won't be a problem. Also my rulesets are rapidly overshadowing the actual gameplay to the point where major battles are going to be afterthoughts at this rate!

@ACottontail - I thought this would be a cautionary tale for people to avoid trying unholy ruleset abominations, but I'm glad I could encourage the madness in others. Also thank you for asking about Bella's ability because with all the rules each Pokemon have I honestly didn't even look at them. I have henceforth included abilities in each Pokemon's chart. Unfortunately for Bella, she has Unnerve. Which is an extra shame because I love defensive strategies like that.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - As someone who's used one of my rulesets before, I trust you to understand my pain. I had much the same reactions to gaining and losing my Turtwig within minutes.

Extra thanks to @Trollkitten for the awesome art of our original three!!! And for her awesome headcanon which I am officially adopting as true cannon to this run. I will be posting the art on the main page of this run!
Chapter 2

So. To recap.

Young Specs begins yet another Pokemon journey, bright eyed and bushy tailed with her Turtwig, named after a companion of the past and hoping to have a nice nostalgic romp through Sinnoh.

Then, said Turtwig is snatched by a very problematic Starly, who sustains an injury of the thorn-stabbing variety in the process.

And all hope of salvation rests on Bella the Bidoof's furry shoulders.

...So, we're in great shape, basically. And I was quite eager to move forward and proceed with the torture.

But first, I put together something that I think is going to be quiet helpful for keeping track of all these rules. I'm keeping track of all this in one big word document, so I added some headings so I can easily jump between my gameplay log, my medical charts, and the details about the clinic. And at the beginning of this document I made some 'cheat sheets' with everything I need to keep an eye on while I play.

General:
Can’t use berries while Mumble is in the party
No water types or Pokemon with water moves while Bella is on team
If we fish, Bella leaves

Spike:
Currently captured by harpies until after first gym
No physical moves except tackle until special move is learned until Torterra
Cover HP bar and turn volume off in battle until 25 points
+3 trainer battle in green
+5 heal in battle when needed
+5 points gym period without death
-1 lose a battle
-2 perform badly in gym
-3 taken to red
-10 teammate killed

Mumble:
Cause of no berries
Cause of Spike’s kidnapping
No held items or items in battle until 10 points
+2 taken to red
+2 causing loss of battle
+15 teammate dies trying to heal him
+15 another Hasty Pokemon dies because of their trait
Foot at risk of infection

Bella:
Does not allow other water types or Pokemon with water type moves
Will leave if we fish
Must switch or heal when less than 50% health until 50 points
+25 for each gym period without a death
-all points for a death unless caused by lack of wisdom
5% chance of physical moves failing

So those are my tips for all zero of you who might attempt this rule combination after me one day.

After grinding Mumble and Bella a little bit, I moved on to route 202 to get another encounter. I'm really hoping for a Shinx, one of my favorite Gen 4 mons.

But I guess I'll have to settle for a Kricketot, one of my least favorite Gen 4 mons. Let's start the process, shall we?

1. Lore rule:
4) Living Violin This pokemon is a magical violin enchanted with a force of life. Must know a Sound-based move if possible. In a trainer battle in which Kricketot/Kricketune used a Sound-based move, you may ignore the negative effects of any lore rule for the rest of the battle.

^Game changer. I normally hate Kricketot but this could be very useful, especially with Spike when and if we get him back.

2. Catch- Bella used Tackle once and then one Poke Ball caught it.

3. Nature: Lonely. Not a difficult nature to treat, unlike Mumble.
Before earning Comradery points with its teammates, the Lonely Pokemon cannot participate in double battles or switch in to take the place of teammates.
After each gym badge for which the lonely Pokemon was on the team, it earns one comradery point with each current teammate.
If a teammate saves the Pokemon’s life, the Pokemon will gain one comradery point with that teammate.
If the Pokemon is training to be a part of the team and a teammate helps the Pokemon grind, the Pokemon will gain one comradery point for that teammate.
For each comradery point, the Lonely Pokemon has a 1 in 3 chance of switching in for that teammate or participating in a double battle with them.

4. Doc-locke:
A. Age: First stage Pokeon, so -2 slots for baby, 2 for child, 1 for adolescent, 1 for adult, and 1 for elder (RNG 1-7). RNG says child.
B. Is the Pokemon healthy? (1/7 chance of being healthy). RNG says healthy!

Hey, that....wasn't too bad! And I see that Kricketot actually has Pound, where I believe in the original games they started out with Bide? That was one of the main reasons I never bothered to train one up. But with a positive lore rule and a healthy diagnosis...I actually might consider using this little fella, who I named Winn Dixie. Not really sure why. I think because Winn rhymes with violin.

Rt 202:

bIZyetnzturxFWuKDcsWsIhwFQMBLR-OlnKL8XL2CAOvv1RDQFbFh3T5DWGPDcAuDknetTJf6co2pR2NQKFy5PMuO8YyY81NcgXFIhVzzBfsOs6v_ZAZmPXBkBB1u7g3zEfr4hg6

Name: Winn Dixie
Species: Kricketot
Sex:male
Nature: Lonely; Comradery points: 0
Characteristic: highly curious
Ability: Shed Skin
Lore Rule: Living Violin
Diagnosis: Healthy
Prognosis:
Limitations:
Treatment:

luyesjU.jpg

Then we moved on to our first trainer battle! Mumble takes point as official Starter-by-Force.

We win without an issue, and move on with our process. Because we earned some dough!

M20yKY7.jpg

In addition to the Poke we earned in-game, we also added $3.80 to our clinic funds! We also have to remember to add this trainer battle to our time left in the day, which now looks like this:

T1 W2 H3

Meaning we have used 3 hours of our day so far. Next time we battle a trainer, that uses up one hour. Same for the next time we battle 3 more wild Pokemon.

Mumble took on a second trainer and won, earning us $3.48 more for the clinic. Now our time looks like this:

T0 W2 H4

As much as I'm glad that Mumble is winning battles for us, I actually kind of wish he was having more trouble. In a naturelocke, winning battles is good for Pokemon who need confidence or respect, but our buddy Mumble needs Wisdom.

And Pokemon like Mumble have to earn Wisdom the hard way. But so far, he's been smooth sailing. Maybe someday this spunky little bird will wise up.

7xrXbu2.jpg

So we give Bella a turn for the next trainer. And our rules did kick in a little bit here.

As we know, Bella's got her cute little toe offloading boot on, and she's not used to walking in it, giving her an automatic 95% accuracy on physical attacks. And wouldn't you know homegirl missed on the first turn? All this means is that we had to use a non-physical move this turn, so we went with Defense Curl.

But it turns out, Shinx knows Thundershock in this game! Which is great honestly, because I remember in the originals Shinx didn't learn an electric attack until some ungodly level and it makes me excited for when I have my own Shinx.

JWiIfRY.jpg

Then, Bella's nature kicks in. Bella is careful, and has to either heal or switch when she gets below half health. Switching is out of the question for several reasons. First, Mumble is weak to electric and Winn Dixie can't switch in for her because of his lonely nature. Second, our opponent only has one Pokemon. If we use more Pokemon than he does, we have technically lost the battle and will lose whatever clinic funds we would have gained for this trainer. But we are allowed to use 3 healing items without it being considered a loss, so that's the move I had to make here. Once healed, Bella felt safe enough to finish off the battle.

With that, we will move on to Jubilife City! Nothing too much of note here, we got the Quick Claw and I gave it to Bella because she is the chosen one and also Mumble can't hold items because of his hastiness.

Before I go to the training school, it's time to check the surrounding routes for potential patients!

But Bella's lore rule strikes here...the only option for Rt. 218 is to fish with the Old Rod I was just given, but Bella's lore rule forbids us from fishing unless we want her to leave us forever. So we will save that route for later.

Route 204 was more of a success, where we encounter...a Budew! Wow, I don't think it's ever taken me this long to get a Shinx before.

1. Lore rule:
3) Thrown Bouquet
Takes effect when it evolves into Roselia, or when you catch it if it is a Roselia or Roserade.
Randomize a pokemon on your party, then choose another pokemon on your party. They are
now Wedlocked. (both pokemon must stay at your party at the same time, and if one of the
pokemon dies the Wedlocke ends at the end of battle).

2. Catch- Bella used Tackle once and then one Poke Ball caught it.

3. Nature: Serious. Woah, the best nature (along with Mild)!
If a serious or mild Pokemon single handedly wins an important battle* without using more than 3 healing/battle items, they earn one leadership point and can use one additional skill per battle (can be used on the same teammate twice).

4. Doc-locke:
A. Age: Since it’s a baby Pokemon, extra slot for baby. First stage-3 slots for baby, 2 for child, 1 for adolescent, 1 for adult, and 1 for elder (RNG 1-7). RNG says baby.
B. Is the Pokemon healthy? (1/7 chance of being healthy). RNG says there is an impairment!
C. Severity of impairment (Mild, moderate, or severe?) Mild. RNG has been unusually kind to us. *Spectacles' suspicion sharply rose*
D. Injury or illness? Injury.
E. Where is the injury? Bud, face, body, 2 legs. Left leg
F. Primary diagnosis- We already did cut and broken bone, let’s do a burn. Since it’s mild it can be first degree. Maybe Ranumgen struck with his Chimchar. Actually, if that’s the case, it would need to be a second degree burn because fire burns are pretty much automatically second degree. Plus the RNG has been kind to us so I don't mind making this one a little more spicy.
G. Is there a secondary impairment (1 in 4 chance)? No.
H. Prognosis- This one is pretty simple- the burn just needs time to heal. After one day, 5% chance of healing increases by 5% per day.
I. Limitations- Burns are painful AF yall, especially these moderate burns that haven't caused nerve damage. Moves that require movement have a 50% chance of causing too much pain to work. This includes Growth in Rosie’s case. Thankfully, Rosie's other moves are pretty stationary. Rosie is also an infection risk if the wound becomes dirty.
J. Treatment- Silver sulfadiazine cream is used to treat second degree burns. It’s $12 for 20 grams. But, since plant type Pokemon have different skin than flesh and bone Pokemon, they need a special fertilizing cream that’s pricier. ...Yes, I really do this kind of a thing to myself. Let’s call it $16 for 20 grams. Rosie needs 0.25 grams twice per day. Healing rate increases to 10% increase per day with neosporin.

And here's the final chart for our girl Rosie!

Rt 204:

11DpDMSX805cHCvuzX9vzBn1X0oxrVUOZTjf6PtJ3DMCMbmQeSNyZ63NUBQ07W50mkKeV9hVZyqgYUxnRvAywRzGtsYQfFWvV0Gs-5nxTB0G5UloaftfqG36g1bCbp5M0FMF3Pa4

Name: Rosie
Species: Budew
Sex: female
Nature: Serious; Leadership points: 0
Characteristic: takes plenty of siestas
Ability: Natural cure
Lore Rule: Thrown Bouquet
Diagnosis: Second degree burn to L leg
Prognosis: After one day, 5% chance of healing increases by 5% per day. Increases to 10% with cream
Limitations: Moves that require movement have a 50% chance of causing too much pain to work. Decreases to 25% after 3 days of treatment (3/3 days left). This includes Growth in Rosie’s case. Infection risk if wound becomes dirty
Treatment: 0.25 gram fertilized Silver sulfadiazine cream BID

So we have to subtract $16 from the clinic funds for her meds, and we went from $53.08 to $37.08.

While we're taking inventory, I'll also mention that we now have 5 of our 25 slots of space used up in our clinic nursery.

I'd also like to take inventory of my emotions, because I'm having a conundrum.

I thought it would be really easy to dismiss a Kricketot and Budew as box fodder, especially with a grass starter (absent as he may be). But...these guys are pretty good! Winn Dixie has a good lore rule and he's healthy, plus Kricketot appear to be way more useful in modern Sinnoh. And Rosie has the best nature in the naturelocke rules. Plus, she might be a more reliable counter to the rock gym or at the very least a good backup to Bella.

I'm starting to wonder if I should even add Spike back on the team when he comes back from the Harpy's nest. It might be kind of fun to take on Sinnoh with only the wild rabble from the start of the game. But at the same time, I love the Turtwig line a lot and I really loved the nostalgia of using Spike the Turtwig again.

I could also keep all of them on and have the most flammable team in Sinnoh.

I'm gonna need y'all's help for that decision, so let me know what you think I should do before poor Spike's return!

Regardless, I decided to train up Rosie and Winn Dixie anyway. I thought Winn would earn some Comradery points for having someone help him train, but he surprisingly didn't really need it! He was able to take everyone on on his own, especially after learning Struggle Bug. But in the end, he ended up earning one Comradery point with Rosie because, thanks to her Serious nature, she was able to encourage him to switch in during her battles.

With that finished, we decided to trigger the plot at the trainer school, but not before fighting some QUITE evil school trainers. An Abra with Charge Beam?! That's pretty freakin dangerous at this stage in the game! I feel sorry for people who sent out their Piplups here! Thankfully I had Bella out and it only took two Tackles to take it down. But the thing got the special attack boost both times!! Deadly stuff! I let Winn take the next trainer's Abra, which went much smoother.

fbg1Fbp.jpg

Then we have our battle with the dastardly Ranumgen.

Mumble had learned Wing Attack at this point (yay modern Sinnoh and their new movesets!) and he was able to take out what he considers the lesser Starly without any issues.

dwvKuU5.jpg

Chimchar comes out, and this was the damage from a crit Wing Attack. The next Wing Attack must have been a higher roll, because it wasn't a crit but it still finished him off. We got a whopping $11.88 for this battle, and we have now used 7 hours of our day.

And now that we got that obstacle out of the way, we are able to get our encounter for Rt. 203.

cZM3eTy.jpg

....Okay so I caught her, but there's a catch.

Little kitty has our first severe doc-locke impairment of the run. And given the point of this run is to give a detailed account of the gameplay with these rulesets, I feel the need to include alllll the nitty gritty details of her doc-locke analysis.

And folks. It aint pretty. Or short.

I already have the whole chart made, which took a LONG ASS time, but given the decent amount of progress we already made on this update, I am going to save it for next time so we can all look at it together with a fresh mind.

I am looking forward to you all seeing the full extent of my madness next time, when The Monstrosity truly earns its name.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Oooh, looks like I've got two more mons to draw up. (Given that both of them have lore rules based on inanimate objects -- a violin and a wedding bouquet -- that's going to make their designs interesting to tackle. I love inanimate object Pokemon.) I'm happy to hear that my headcanons have been accepted.

Personally, I recommend using Spike once you get him back. Rosie's lorerule could cause problems later on depending on when she evolves into Roselia and what Pokemon winds up being randomly chosen for the wedlocke, which could potentially severely hamper your ability to switch into the right Pokemon for a battle. But ultimately it's up to you. (And maybe you'll get lucky and get a Pokemon that nullifies Rosie's lorerule before it can activate... but with this bizarre ruleset, even if you do, who knows what nature and condition it would have.)

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Can't believe this isn't a Throneslocke too smh

I think this is a good companion piece to The Hippocratic Oath, since that focuses more on the story and this offers a chance to really dive into the nitty gritty of the big honking rulesets you've come up with. And now I'm very curious about what the deal with that Shinx is…

As for Spike, I say go with what your heart tells you to do.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Hello Specs Tackle Spectacles, we meet again.
And what a ruleset... I couldn't figure out how hard it was to juggle things by the notes in THO alone. I mean, I knew it would be hard, but not that hard. I mean, you're in a hot mess already and this is only the second rival fight, omg that's harsh. Not just that, but a full monstrosity. And we haven't even begun.

Onto the starter, I wouldn't think seriously about that until the time comes. Who knows in what state your team will be, because a single catch may change the whole dynamics of the team. Yeah, typical of such monstrosity rulesets...

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I'm just loving this run so-so much. This combination is both brutal and fascinating to watch, and having to juggle between the effects of all three rulesets looks like so much fun (and pain). Plus the flavor you add to it and the details of the different treatments is pure gold.

Umm for you question you don't have to make any choices right away, and this gen is pretty good with juggling a team of more than 6 if you want. Still if I have to vote for one option - I choose Rosie over Spike just for diversity of using wild pokemon instead of starters, but that's up totally up to you.

I'm really curious about your Shinx! A cruel Mishipeshu with a fatal hear disease? A hungry ferocious Nemean Lion who can't eat because of some broken fangs?

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Wow, this run is seriously complicated! Three rulesets for one run would be enough to make most people run for the hills, myself included! Guess that makes you a lot braver than I am, well done!

I'd put Spike back on the team for a few reasons. Firstly, Torterra is really strong and means that unless something horrible happens, you'll have a guaranteed Ground type for Volkner, which can be very useful. Winn Dixie has improved from the first games due to some different level-up moves and the lack of Bide, and he'll be handy for Gardenia later on. But Rosie...might not be the best option for a few reasons. Friendship evos tend to take a while, and Budew unfortunately runs into a problem from the Galar games. Unlike in earlier gens, Budew doesn't learn any new moves unless you use a TM. Unless you take the time to ensure Budew evolves practically immediately when you catch it, you're going to be missing out on some good moves until you reach Pastoria and use heart scales for the move-relearner. Like Leech Seed at level 10 and Mega Drain at level 5.

So based solely on gameplay, Spike is probably the safest choice over Rosie. Not to mention there can be some drama with his return as Mumble is proud of his new role as defacto starter and he and Spike can have some conflict over that. But that's just me.

Looking forward to hearing about your Shinx, who I'm hoping doesn't have a potentially fatal issue, and good luck with the run!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
a really bad chart you say :O!!! that's.....really not good

personally i think it'd be fun to have added some sort odd twist to Spike's rules which mean you have to be careful about how you use him. maybe being spirited away by MR HASTY left some lingering weirdness that makes him need time in non-harpy space before he can be a part of a team again. im interested in the rabble team going as far as you can get them...

here's hopin rosie and winn dixie get wedlocked when rosie hits roselia status, i think that would be really cute....

lookin forward to the next update!

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Oh no, the way you described Shinx's ailments makes me think they way not make it. It's very ominous...

Users who are viewing this thread