• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
See this resource for details on critique levels
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Things in Alola are going downhill fast. (Updates every other Thursday)

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Greetings!

Crash here. Locker, writer, ‘vivor, that one. Yes I know Nuzvivor hasn’t even been over for a week saldagfdfjah but there’s only so much summer left, and no time like the present, right? So!

9dYDnqH.png

The Lesser of Two Evils
An Ultra Moon Nuzlocke
Basically: Alola but axe the player, Hau and Gladion are the main characters now. But are they protagonists? Antagonists? Which one is which? Who can say! Of course, that isn’t the only difference between this run and the original games; the plot itself is liable to deviate entirely from that of Alola as you know it. I make no promises!

1. I play as both Hau and Gladion, each with the rosters of Pokemon they canonically own from any official media in which they appear. The active team rotates (roughly) every major fight. The first Pokemon encountered per viable species per character per area is their only chance to obtain that Pokemon; Pokemon may be traded in in the event that they are not obtainable during the main game.
  2. If a Pokemon faints, to Ultra Space it goes.
  3. Hau nicknames his Pokemon. Gladion, well...
  4. Shiny Pokemon can be caught but not used unless they appear in a character’s roster.
  5. If you don’t think I’m going to include a secret rule, you don’t know me.

Rated Teen for character death, including some (brief) gore. I’m going there, and yes, I’m as afraid as you are.

So yeah! This is not going to be the fun lighthearted romp that Nothing to See Here was. It will be fun, lighthearted, and rompy at times (despite the prologue) - but it’s also something I’m taking far, far more seriously in terms of writing quality, worldbuilding, and plot structure. NTSH was not a conscious effort to improve my writing; this is. Hence, crit level three.

Expect this post to be updated frequently to include a TOC, potential artwork, etc. Also worth noting that I will be playing as fast and loose as I please when it comes to adhering to the gameplay. Which is a lot. Especially considering it isn’t even finished yet. ^^’ Neither is the written part, actually! I do have a good buffer though, so expect updates every, Iunno, two weeks? Two weeks feels good.

I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
crashcrashcrash

crashcrashcrash

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
GN5Jybm.jpg
And just like that, I’m running.

The echoes of my desperate footfalls against the linoleum compete with the pulsing of my heart as I bound toward the shipping crates. I slip behind one of them. People start talking. Footsteps approach and retreat like the waves licking barnacles off all those boats. I adjust my helmet and lock my gaze on them.

Three are supposed to be white, but only one is. The first two bear the same Aether brand that my jacket does; the third is a glorified dinghy.

The last boat is black.

I soften my knees, raise my ankles. I’ll have to be silent. Only one shot at this. If I fail, we’re both dead.

I check my pocket for the ball. Still there. My fingers itch to grab at it, to keep it with me, to keep it safe. But no: I’ll need both hands free.

Suddenly, yelling. I press myself against the crate, wincing only slightly as the back of my head knocks the wood. This may be my chance - there are others around, and for the next few seconds, the voice can keep them occupied. Enough, at least, that I can slip along the white Paradise walls in my admin disguise.

The boats. The only things that ever come or go from this man-forsaken island.

They’re my ticket.

The yelling. I can make it out now, and a jolt runs through me when I realize it’s my name. They know. Saw it on the security cameras, maybe. Maybe Miss Wicke played me. Doesn’t matter how it happened, all that matters is that I keep running.

I spring from my hideout behind the crates without even a blip of hesitation. I’m doing it. Running. Running. And there’s no running back.

The closest boat is an Aether ship. Its engine is already rumbling with fuel. Good - the faster it leaves, the faster I do.

I’m still ten yards away when it starts drifting toward the exit. Still, it’s my only chance, so I hack away at the gap between us until the guard rail is right there.

I mount that sucker like a Mudsdale and launch myself toward the skiff.

It’s not enough.

My hands close around the air a solid five feet in front of the ladder, and I’m falling. The water flies towards me so much slower than I thought it might.

My feet break the surface, and it takes until my helmet is sucked off until I remember, so crucially, that I don’t know how to swim.

Water isn’t air, and my lungs know it too well. Yet they suck it down anyway, like they don’t have a choice, and despite everything, it’s fire.

I’m drowning.

I’m drowning, and that means I’m about to die.

I’m dying. Water floods my insides, and I’m dying, and I want to scream because Null is dying too, but I can’t because there’s no air because I’m drowning.

My arms and legs fly in every direction and the urge to inhale crushes me like a hydraulic press. I resist it. I want to push the water out, but I need air, and it’s gone.

Metal.

My fingers just grazed metal.

I throw my hand back in that direction, kicking the opposite way. Something is here. My hand breaks the surface, and something is here, something metal. My grip slides down it, but I keep hold, and pull my flooded body to the bar.

Two hands on it now. I might just live.

I force my head through to the air, and salt water runs from my nose and mouth like I’m the world’s ugliest Blastoise. I cough, and it’s loud, then my ears pop and suddenly everything is. Voices crowd the docks and boats pump gasoline into my bath. My eyes are still glued closed, and I burp up water while I’m hacking, but I need to plunge myself back under if I want to live, so I do.

That doesn’t last long.

Air whizzes past the salt in my windpipe as I draw another breath. My feet find the metal too, and with all four limbs secured, I peel my eyes open.

It’s dark.

The thing I’m holding is a support structure for the dock above me. There’s a dock above me. I’m not in the shallows, but I am in the shadows.

I can’t even see Paradise or anyone on it.

I pray that by some miracle, they can’t see me.

Null.

I bring a trembling hand down to my hip and check for the ball again. It’s still there, and the relief hits me like I didn’t just barf up fistfuls of gasoline water and fish poop.

It’s dark where I am, but not as dark as the next closest boat. There’s a skull emblem emblazoned on the side. A seafaring mortician, maybe. Rats, I just put him out of a job.

Who am I kidding. It’s a spray-painted skull on a jet-black motorboat: the owner is either the coolest man alive or a snot-rich target of the coolest graffiti artist alive.

Either way, I intend to find out.

I move toward the next support beam, and my saltlogged stomach lurches. But I can still feel the curve of the ball at my hip, so I bite my tongue and reach.

My head bobs in and out of water, and I can only pick out pieces of the conversations above me.

“...that was hi...”

“..ou see?”

“...hat wa...”

“...samin-”

I grab the next pole and duck underwater a third time.

Salt, and gasoline, and fish poop, and dead bugs, and gasoline, and salt...

The water worms its way into my ears, through my hair, under my clothes.

I have to get on that boat.

There’s a ladder. It’s crazy, but it’s my only way out, and the only plan I came with.

I peer out from under the dock. If I don’t do this perfectly, I’ll be seen. I’ll be dead, and so will Null.

I fill my soggy chest with air, pinch my nose, and do it.

The ladder is shorter than I was hoping, but I don’t dare complain. The rest of the boat floats between me and Paradise. Behind me, only the ocean.

I scale the rungs one per minute.

Land. Not really; but it’s a hard, flat surface that bears my weight, and I would kiss it if not for the other seventy-six diseases I already ingested.

The inside of the boat is far less impressive than the outside, but I don’t give a Yungoos’s tail. What I need is a place to hide. This thing have a bathroom?

...Storage closet, that’ll do.

Wait, there’s a bucket. Maybe this is a bathroom.

But it’s the only closing door in the cramped cabin, so I press my back against the wall until my butt hits the wood floor. A tiny window is the only light source, and my nose is simply crying at the smell, but I only have to last until the boat hits a real shore.

Null is still in my pocket. I can do this.

I’ll never have to see them again, and it’s the most relieved I’ve been in months.

As soon as the thought comes, I hate myself for thinking it. Relieved. She’s still here, and I’m relieved! Get a load of me!

Whatever, I got away. I’m getting away. She told me to get strong enough and come back for her, so that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I slosh the water out of my eyes and let them rest. If I can sleep despite the gurgle in my stomach and the dread of whatever’s in that bucket, I might have enough energy to start running again when we land.

In ten minutes, the boat starts. I chance a look out that window, and Paradise slides to the right.

I’m not able to sleep. The rocking and the stench and the gasoline don’t let me. Hurling would only give me away, so I swallow the bile.

Who knows how long it is before the floor outside starts creaking. I make myself tiny. If the door locked, I would be fine, but it’s less of a door and more of a sliding wooden panel sitting imperfectly in a metal groove.

Breathy whistling creeps under it. It slides open, and the culprit is a slouch with a white undercut and a fly that’s already halfway down.

When he opens his eyes, I’m dead.

“CHILD,” he bellows, zipping up faster than a Zigzagoon. He swears, loudly, gripping the doorframe. “You’re a child! TAPU Bulu. WHAT THE - wait, you a child - HECK you doin on my boat!?”

I flinch, curling up in case he kicks. I swallow my words. “I’m-” I’m choking. “...I’m running away.”

“From what? Whose are ya?”

I grip my knees, narrow my eyes, all serious-like. “Doesn’t matter. I’m leaving.”

I think he’s about to hurt me, but he just lets out a chuckle and leans against the doorframe. “Tapu Bulu.” He won’t even look at me. “Why it always me, huh? You think this is a party boat, kid? Big ol’ skull?” He studies my face for the first time; I brush my dripping bangs out the way in case he recognizes me. “Kids like skulls, don’ they?”

The words come out, and I don’t try to stop them. “Didn’t have a choice. Had to leave.” He looks at me with a crooked jaw and a quirked brow.

Then he crosses his arms and lets out this big laugh. “Yano, I respect that, kid!” I look up, and I’m not about to be slaughtered. “Lucky for you, I gotta bitta 'sperience helpin’ stray kids. You got a name, son?”

Like dirt am I giving away my real one. Mother’s ransom could pay this guy’s rent for a year. “It’s-” I cough, and bile lunges for my teeth. I choke. “It’s Gladion.”

And with that, I spill vomit all across the floor of his closet bathroom.

Without flinching, the guy motions to the centerpiece of the room. “Yano, Gladion,” he drawls, flat, “there’s a bucket right there."
Next time:

I chance a glimpse at Tutu as if to say, “Look at me! I’m doing it! Look how proud you are, your progeny with his own Litten!” but I don’t say anything so as not to spook the little guy. But Tutu’s not looking at me, he’s looking at Lillie, at the way she yips when the Rowlet snaps at her fingers. It’s obvious she copied my strategy, not knowing the difference between cats and owls I guess.

SprungGeoduck

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Beautiful
CRASH

THE POST-NUZVIVOR FUGUE HAS PRODUCED IMMACULATE RESULTS

i am... so hooked by this already. hau and gladion are two of my favourite alola characters and this intro to Mr Edgy Boi is so well-written – i love the action and descriptions! will be watching this like a hawk. keep it up!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
It’s dark where I am, but not as dark as the next closest boat. There’s a skull emblem emblazoned on the side. A seafaring mortician, maybe. Rats, I just put him out of a job.

Who am I kidding. It’s a spray-painted skull on a jet-black motorboat: the owner is either the coolest man alive or a snot-rich target of the coolest graffiti artist alive.
This is why I love your work; you are an excellent snarker, and you do a good job of portraying point-of-view for your characters (that is, depicting their personalities well). I'm looking forward to how you handle Hau.

Also, Gladion is probably my favorite rival in the entire Pokemon series (N is admittedly pretty close), so it's fun to see you tackle a run from his perspective.

Last edited:

pinkshellos

just a sea slug
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates them more than companionship is food.
ooooOOOO what a prologue. And what a premise for a run! Gladion is everyone's favorite Alola character -- or at least I sure hope he is, cuz he's certainly mine -- and Hau does not deserve half of the flack he gets. I am so looking forward to main character Hau, I'm already super interested just from the preview snippet you posted.

Back to the prologue, it's so vivid. I could practically feel the water that Gladion thankfully did not drown in.
Also I am more than convinced that Wicke played him because she seems like the two-timing little kids type

Trollkitten got to this one before me, but I love Gladion's snark so much. Despite how excited I am for Hau, I can't wait to see more from Gladion's POV too.

“CHILD,” he bellows, zipping up faster than a Zigzagoon. He swears, loudly, gripping the doorframe. “You’re a child! TAPU Bulu. WHAT THE - wait, you a child - HECK you doin on my boat!?”
First of all, love tapu bulu as a swear, and the emphasis on TAPU bulu almost immediately stuck the sound and cadence of his voice directly into my brain. The characters. They are so vivid.

Akane

Godfather
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2021
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This pokèmon rarely does anything useful. He has a strange passion for the number 9, I wonder why. Bisexual.
Well, now I'm reading two of your storylockes, at the same time :)
And I completely agree with Trollkitten, I love your characters!
and yes Gladion is the best rival in series

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
eeeeeeeeee IM EXCITED

dual protagonists hm? interesting approach, im fuckin here for it

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him / They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
I've been waiting for this!!!

Interesting rules! It makes me wonder if there are other lesser characters in the pokemon series one could get a good nuzlocke out of. You started out incredibly strong here, man! The almost-drowning, and the ships, it's all described so well! Your mystery sailor is also a fantastic character already and i hope to see more of him in the next Gladion part!

That said, it's now time to shitpost.

Then he crosses his arms and lets out this big laugh. “Yano, I respect that, kid!”
Yano moment

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
post-nuzvivor run? post-nuzvivor run!

those are some interesting rules you have

theCape

Johto League Champion
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 6, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Seems to always be starting a new campaign/project despite not having enough time.
YANO!!!

Nothing too much new to add to what everyone else has said, but I'm excited for this. I love when characters get dragged into something they know nothing about and immediately respond with, "Well, guess I'm involved now." I'm assuming this is Guzma, looking forward to seeing life in Team Skull.

MegaInfernape

Wisher for the Return of Megas
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 13, 2022
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Has a very erractic mind. It is not uncommon for it to be seen moving from one activity or project to another.
Will add my yells to the void because holy shit.
That was a wild as hell prologue. The descriptions, Gladion's voice that you nailed and just his snark.
Also that next time got me excited for more.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
YOOOOO!!! I am so freakin excited that you're posting another run AND that I get to follow it from the very beginning this time!! And it's Alola! With Hau and Gladion as protags? Alola (along with Unova) has my favorite characters so I am absolutely stoked for this.

Whatever, I got away. I’m getting away. She told me to get strong enough and come back for her, so that’s exactly what I’ll do.
Lillieeeee!!! Omg I am so excited to see where all this goes. I love this dysfunctional blonde family.
“It’s Gladion.”
Ooooh so Gladion isn't his real name?! That's wild.

I am HYPE.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Gladion does sound like the kind of name he'd come up with off the top of his head, and more a name he'd come up with than Lusamine would. Gladion meaning 'sword lily,' which is nice and edgy and also a hint as to his relationship with Lillie.

Now I'm wondering what Gladion's real name is. And if it's embarrassing. (If Mohn and Lusamine came up with it, it's probably embarrassing.)

OP
crashcrashcrash

crashcrashcrash

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Woah nelly. Okay well I know I said two weeks but golly gee. With that kind of reception, I gotta push the first chapter forwards. Surprise! Thank you everyone, that totally blew me away!

@SprungGeoduck: AAAAAA you flatter me ^^ thank you, I really wanted to nail the descriptions in that segment so nice to see it worked !

@Trollkitten: Aw shucks, that’s high praise since I never really considered myself a snarker XD Gladion just got to me a little bit there haha. Same! He and N both have very special places in my heart <3

Also, won’t be confirming anything about names yet, but you’re deeefinitely on the right track in my opinion hehehe

@pinkshellos: Ask and you shall receive, one MC Hau coming right up! But yeah haha, the Alola characters are all so special to me and I’m so pumped to do as much justice as I can to them - especially these two sldkjfghadf;

And thank you! I love hearing that things are coming across vividly, it’s one of my favorite compliments to give. So hearing it back feels beautiful 🥰

@Akane: Eyyyyyyy! Glad to have you on board! And thank you, I’m doin my best ^^

@bhelryss: yep yep! Hope to deliver on that hype haha

@Vivace: Oh that’s a good thought! A lot of them would end up looking like a regular monotype locke tbf, but focusing on rivals at least opens up the rosters a bit. Looking at Hop... yeah... XD

But aksjdha;d thank you!! So glad that the prologue read well. But uhhh, don’t hold your breath too long for the sailor...

(Also, fun fact: the writing of this prologue actually predates Yano and popcorn! It’s kinda where I got that spelling from in the first place!)

@Cirr: Post-Nuzvivor run!! Thank you ^^

@theCape: akljdfhadfhg that’s how it is when you’re on the open sea and discover a random kid hitching a ride haha! Excellent guess~

@MegaInfernape: Thank you thank you! I’ve been really working on character voice in this run, so it feels great that it’s already paying off!

@Spectacles: YEAH DAWG hold on tight, the ride’s just starting! Loving Alola and Unova characters is a sign of extremely refined taste so eyyyy!

Thank you so much for the hype! And yep, I never could see Gladion and Lillie both being their real names, they’re just too different and not something I’d expect out of Lusamine and Mohn. Which I guess means I’m once again feeding the Nuzlocke trope of “protags who don’t go by their birth name” but Hey It’s A Good Trope And I Like It skljdfgs;dkja

vHCbWv1.jpg

When I met her, Lillie was... younger than I expected.

When Kukui said he’d taken on an assistant, I imagined a Hau’oli U biology major starting an internship in her field, or maybe a high school kid getting summer credits. But the girl hangin’ around Melemele Beach these past coupla months can’t be more than a year or so my senior. Or, the way she dresses, she might be sixty.

Still, here she is at the Melemele Lei Festival, a pep in her step and feather in her cap. Metaphorically speakin’, but then again, a whole Pikipek could be nestin’ in that thing and I wouldn’t be surprised.

She extends me a hand. “Lillie,” she says.

“Hau!” I give her a good pump and a warm smile. “Grandson of the kahuna. Nice to meet you!”

“Yeah, you too.” Lillie agrees, a bit louder. “I’m sure the professor already told you, but I’m helping with his research a bit while I’m on Melemele. Said the island challenge would be a great way to meet Pokémon, so... here I am!”

She adjusts the brim of that big old hat and flicks platinum blonde bangs from her eyes. I look between her and Kukui, and wonder if I’ve ever seen two people so different working together. She with a dress so white I want sunglasses, he with an ab game so strong that I don’t.

I flash the girl a thumbs-up. “Well, he’s right about that!” I nudge Tutu a bit. “Come on, and ain’t it time we start meetin’ some?”

He eyes me with a look of patience, then pride fills his eyes. “Boy’s right,” he says. “Kukui, you remembered the starters?”

The professor’s hands sink into his lab coat pockets. “Yeah, yeah, got ‘em right here. You doing the honors?”

Three Poké balls pass between Kukui’s hands and Tutu’s. I’m light on my knees, knowing my new friend is in one of them. “Those’re the rules,” he answers. Then, with a laugh: “Pelekai! Cut the music. It’s time to begin!”

There’s no containing my grin. Behind me, Cream Puff shifts in my bag; the sudden silence must have woken him. I only hope he can stay quiet for a bit longer.

Quick, think of a distraction! “All right!” I give, with a pump of my fist. “I’m really hoping for Litten, myself. You got a preference, Lillie?”

She stutters, like she hadn’ even thought about it. “Oh, I guess not?” she admits. “I... I like fairy-types, but. One of them is grass, right? That might be nice...” She’s musing more to herself than to me as we take our places in front of the village circle, which Tutu climbs. “Well, I think I’ll love whoever chooses me the same way I would the other two,” she finally decides.

I nod, and suddenly I’m sorry that I have a favorite.

The population of Iki village surrounds us, pouring more attention on their kahuna than on us. Since it’s him, and it’s the Lei Festival, it’s okay.

“Two youths, soon to be trainers, stand before you,” he starts, and for the first time in my life that means me. “May their upcoming island challenge be safe, fruitful, and full of love for our islands.” He digs out two multicolored charms, and my face swells red once I realize what they are, that one of them is about to be mine. “These amulets will signify them as two of Alola’s most courageous and admirable trainers: island challengers! They will remind them to always be grateful for their islands and their Pokémon.

“Hau. Lillie. May I tie these on you?”

I nod, and fight the urge to wrap him in a big old hug as his hands connect behind my head, letting the amulet fall around my neck. He looks me in the eyes the whole time, but only when the thing is danglin’ there without his help does he speak to me. “I am so proud of you.” His smile makes me melt a little when he continues: “And I’m not really supposed to say this, but... Tapu Koko is, too.”

Mesmerized, I rub my thumb along the four triangles. A bubbly “Really?” slips out. “It told you?”

“My boy,” Tutu says, one big hand squeezing my shoulder. “Pay attention, and you’ll understand. It told you too.”

I wanna burst from excitement but he’s being way too cryptic.

Then he faces Lillie. “And you’re sure you’re up for this?”

The girl snaps to attention. “Um,” she starts. “Yes, of course. Please.”

“Good.” Tutu reveals her amulet, and latches it on her neck too. “If Tapu Koko saw potential in you, you are bound to be a magnificent trainer. Always remember that.”

Wait huh saywhat. I look fully at the girl, taking in Tutu’s words. What on earth does that mean? The Tapu... likes Lillie?

I mean. Good for her.

She thanks Tutu, who resumes his position in the center as the crowd around us applauds. Things’ve barely started, so it doesn’t last long, but it’s a reminder nonetheless that I’m not on the sidelines clapping this year.

“So, without further ado...” Tutu produces the Poké balls again, and my hands form restless fists. This is it! “In Alola, we value the feelings of Pokémon over those of mere trainers. As a result, it is customary to allow starter Pokémon to choose their desired trainers, instead of the other way around.” I’ve heard this recited so many times that I find myself mouthing along to it. “The Pokémon who chooses you will be your partner, and you will treat it with love and respect, as if it were your brother. Do you understand?”

Tutu’s eyes linger on mine a bit as he asks, but he has nothing to worry about. “Yes,” I agree. “Yes,” says Lillie.

“Then...” With a bounce of his wrist, the three chosen Pokémon spring from their capsules. “Have at them, you three!”

...There they are.

My eyes land first on the Rowlet, on its adorable little beak and coconut-colored plumage. The Popplio registers next, but it’s not who I’m looking for.

My mouth hangs open. There!

“Kitty,” I squeak, and the Litten’s head snaps to mine. “Hey, meow meow!” Unsure what to even say, this is my first impression, it’s so important, oh goodness, it’s so cute someone help, I extend a hand downwards. Just like Mom suggested, she’s had Meowth before, she knows cats. “I love you,” I whisper hopefully.

He comes this way.

I give him a second to sniff my fingertips, and then another - and after a third he goes for the headrub and I completely melt. Even his nose is warm, his whiskers like hot needles.

And I mean it. I love him.

“Hey,” I start - gentle, Hau, gentle, it’s a cat - “Are you... Brioche?” I suggest, moving my fingers slightly to tickle that fur atop his head. He doesn’t purr, but I continue. “Brio-oche,” I sing, slowly, quietly. “How’s that for a name, huh?”

I chance a glimpse at Tutu as if to say, “Look at me! I’m doing it! Look how proud you are, your progeny with his own Litten!” but I don’t say anything so as not to spook the little guy. But Tutu’s not looking at me, he’s looking at Lillie, at the way she yips when the Rowlet snaps at her fingers. It’s obvious she copied my strategy, not knowing the difference between cats and owls I guess.

She jumps back, touching the tips of her tongue and punctured finger. I go, without looking, to pet Brioche again but there’s only air under my hand.

I look down, and follow his tail to find him sitting patiently in front of Lillie, kneading the wood.

She locks eyes with him when she notices, and from there, it’s history.

I’m too betrayed to even utter a “Wait.” My hand reaches for the Litten, but can’t make it from where I’m standin’ and my legs are useless.

Lillie offers her finger, the very same that the Rowlet had mistaken for food, out to Brioche. He gives it a gentle blem and the cuteness coulda knocked me out if the heartache hadn’t already.

I eye Tutu. This is a mistake, right? Why give three different starters; isn’t there another Litten somewhere? Could this really be it? She’s already got him on his back, leaving a long skinny belly exposed for scritches, and his purring is so loud.

For a split second, I wonder how much convincing it’d take to get Lillie to trade with me.

The next, I smash that thought to pieces. Starters, like everything on our islands, are gifts from the Tapu. Rejecting one would make you the most ungrateful piece of Tauros turd in Alola, as far as they’re concerned. Besides... if Brioche - if Litten - wanted me to be his trainer, then I would be.

Something smooth rubs against my hand.

I look down, and it’s a bunch of blue - no, it’s the Popplio, looking at me like I was the first thing it saw when it hatched. Actually, I might have been, how often I hang around Kukui’s.

I clear my throat. No, he’s definitely looking at me, and the Rowlet is only a few feet away, preening itself with its back turned to Lillie. Popplio arfs and nudges my hand again, stronger this time - and again, woah he’s strong. I gently pinch the frills around his neck, just... thinking. He swats at my hand; guess that’s not his favorite? In that case, maybe I should do it again - wait nononono.

Lillie has Litten up above her head, hands propping up his forelegs and letting him dangle. He’s a cat - someone he just met holding him that way is proof enough of his choice.

Popplio’s flippers smack the wood in front of me, hoarding my attention. The Rowlet, done with this, might be asleep by now. I don’t know how to pet a seal, so I bring my hand around his... ear? And gently scratch, like I would with Cream Puff. Or a cat.

He swats me away again, and I don’t know what to do because I can’t tell whether he loves or hates me, and I don’t think Rowlet loves anyone but Kukui, and I know Litten loooves Lillie.

“You’re...” I don’t know how to pet a seal, I don’t know how to babytalk a seal - “You’re not Brioche, right?” I try the top of his head, and he leans backwards into my hand. Much stronger than a cat, and rubbery. “No, no. You’re...”

This is stupid. I had the perfect Litten name picked out, didn’t even think about the other two. I run through all my other favorite sweets - well, the ones I’m not reserving for future catches - well, the ones that might work for a water-type - and all I can think of is, “You’re... Cannoli, yeah?”

He offers me a bwark and claps his back flippers together as if to say, “Lookit you! You got it, genius, now take me on your adventure and train and feed me even though you don’t know spit about seals.

I don’t, but even then, my hands find their way under his front flippers and before I know what I’m doing, I’m hoisting my brand new Popplio into the air, for all of Iki to see.

This wasn’t the plan.

I try to smile, but it comes out forced. Either way, I should be happy: just got my starter, just became a trainer, there’s an island challenge amulet hangin’ from my neck - and thinkin’ about these things, I realize I am. Yeah, this Popplio is all but guaranteed to like me, and that’s something. There will be more cats to catch; more Fire-types. Not Litten, probably. But more cats.

And Cannoli will be with me.

He’s very heavy so I have to put him down now. My arms whine as he plops back on the wood.

Kukui’s got his arms extended like he’s waiting for a hug, and when Rowlet flies cheerily into his arms, he sure gets one. In front of me, Tutu’s made his decision.

“‘Ere it is,” he announces, and it’s official. “Congratulations, trainer Hau! You have been chosen by Popplio! And you, trainer Lillie - by Litten!”

He pauses for applause, and the clapping sounds sarcastic even though I know it’s not.

“Keep these starter Pokémon by your sides at all times; if you care for them properly, they will be like your family. Never forget the gift you have been given today.”

I rub my gift’s head as I scan the crowd for the first time. The only difference this year is that I’m not in it. Mom’s the only one who acknowledges my initial disappointment, but the delight in her eyes leaves no room for sadness.

And I s’pose I have nothing to be sad about, yeah?

After a bit of polite obligatory applause, Tutu motions us up to the village dias and we take our places, starters nearly slipping out of our arms since neither of us are used to the weight. Lillie ungracefully lets Litten go, and following suit, I replace Cannoli on the dias.

“Now... This battle will be an offering to Tapu Koko! Trainers...” Tutu takes a step back, giving the young battlers their room. “Begin!”

Ok! Battle time. Battle battle battle. Uh - “Cannoli, scratch attack!” I utter, and I don’t even catch my mistake until Lillie does.

“You too, Litten! Um, scratch!”

Litten sits back on his haunches only for a second, not letting Cannoli get the chance to track him. He’s fast, faster than my seal for sure, but the Popplio tackles him away without appearing to be too hurt. “Oh, ooh,” I wince. “Okay, yeah. That again, Cannoli!”

“Litten, use your fire!”

Litten backs up cautiously, watching the much bigger water-type for an opening. Cannoli rushes in, his wingspan more than enough to trap the kitty if he lets him. But the Litten doesn’t: he dashes under one of Cannoli’s flippers, spins around, and latches his burning teeth onto the back of ‘is neck.

Lillie gives a conflicted cheer, the village lets out an impressed “Ooh,” and Cannoli yaps an irritated bwark. “Get him off!” I shout. “Off your back, Cannoli!”

He shakes, as if a dog leaving the water, but Litten only attaches himself tighter. “Your back!” I repeat, and he gets the idea: in one swift motion, Cannoli flips onto his back, burying Litten under his weight. “Pin him!” The cat is slippery, but Cannoli has the breadth to do this. “Don’t let him up. You got this!”

Litten snarls a bit, and for a second it looks like Cannoli has him: but the very next, he’s got his claws around the Popplio’s chest, and in the time it takes for him to recover Litten’s back on Lillie’s side of the field.

This is why I wanted a Litten.

“Haha, good one!” Lillie calls, as if disbelieving. “T-Try some more fire when he gets close!”

I study my Popplio, who’s pounding the wood between the combatants; perhaps in frustration. “You think you got that, Cannoli?” I ask. If I squint, he’s more tired than he was before the fight, but clearly so is Litten. Hey, he resists fire. He’s okay.

He lets out another bwark and I rip the bandage.

“He’s not doing anything-”

“Okay, go for the tackle-”

“-So just scratch again.”

Lillie and I lock eyes from both sides of the field. I’d taken so long to make a decision that she’d changed strategies, apparently, so at this point it was easier for the Pokémon to just do whatever they wanted.

For Litten, that was going for another scratch directly to the nose.

For Cannoli, that was retreating once hit, forgoing any attack to instead curl up and bury his snout in his flippers.

Crud.

“Cannoli, you okay?” I call, and he whines. “Come on, shake it off! I know you got this!”

But he doesn’t. He slams a flipper on the wood again, as if tapping out; makes no effort to move. Litten relaxes a bit; Lillie grins nervously.

“Hey, did I - win?” she asks, first to Litten himself and then to Tutu.

I almost utter “Nono” too quickly to stop myself, but my mouth pinches shut. “Cannoli,” I try instead, “Can you move?”

He only lifts his head a bit to face me, the apology in his eyes.

That’s a no.

I step closer to my starter, inspect his nose - there’s a pink line across the point he was hit, but it’s not bleeding which is good - and scoop him up. “Cannoli-” I whimper. “You did your best! That was awesome, I’m so prouda you.” I even flash a smile at Lillie. “Aue, you’re a natural at this!” She flushes a bit, waving off the compliment.

I would be content to leave it there, but then I notice the crowd.

They’re whispering amongst themselves, looking back and forth between me and Tutu. Saving Kukui’s, Lillie gets no congratulations; I hear the word “grandson,” and suddenly I know why.

My eyes narrow and something behind them snaps.

“Wait, but wait,” I breathe, plopping Cannoli back at my feet. I hold one hand in front of Tutu and one before Lillie. I tell my opponent, “A battle isn’t over until someone’s lost their whole team.” I sling off my pack, yank open the drawstring. On cue, out pops my secret weapon: “Cream Puff!” I instruct, letting the Pichu onto the field. “You’re next!”

I don’t technically know if it’s allowed, and for some reason, I don’t want to - not until Litten is safely away in his ball, officially declared the loser. My first battle, my first offering to the Tapu - I can’t let it be a defeat.

“What-?” Lillie stutters, but there’s no time.

“The Litten!” I command. “Thunder-shock!”

It’s a little too obvious that he and I have practiced this in secret. Puff and I have developed a bunch of battle moves in our free time, of which thunder-shock is a favorite. Litten lets out a terrible cry - I did, too, my first time gettin’ electrocuted - and doesn’t dare get any closer to my Pichu.

“Litten, Litten,” Lillie coos. “Are you okay?”

The cat’s announcement of defeat takes the form of a high-pitched meow. His trainer kneels down to congratulate and pet him. Cream Puff stands untouched.

Now I can give Tutu my smile. “I won!” I say. Please believe me.

Tutu looks confused. Doesn’t say anything for a second. Then, “Hau-”

“You said I could,” I splutter. “When I become a trainer, you said, I could put Cream Puff on my team. Remember?”

Lillie takes a step back. She’s not even relevant anymore.

“I did say that,” Tutu admits. “In the rules of Pokémon battling, there’s nothing wrong with what you just did. But... this is for the Tapu, Hau. It’s an honorable creature.” He cracks his knuckles, and I swallow. It’s dry. “It would only do to give it a fair fight.”

He reaches under his robe, and I eye Cream Puff cautiously. “Two on one isn’t a fair fight,” he continues, and plucks out a great ball. Holds it out to Lillie. “Take my Crabominable,” he instructs her. “It’s only fair.”

The crowd is silent, and it’s obvious that I’m in trouble. Something in the distance sounds like the cry of the Tapu, but the way the palms are bending right now, it very well may be the wind. Lillie looks between Tutu’s hand, Cream Puff’s tiny body, and my trembling face, just trying to hold it together. Of course Tutu would do this. I should have expected it, this is for the Tapu, what was I thinking, oh poops, I’ve really done it now!

“Um. N-No need,” Lillie says, offering a polite hand in Tutu’s direction. “I have another teammate too.”

She unzips her duffle bag, and from it flies a...

A thing.

A cute thing, in any case.

Been a while since I’ve met a Pokémon I’ve never seen before. It’s not much bigger than Cream Puff, and certainly no less puffy; it looks more like a ball of clouds than it does a Pokémon. This must be what Lillie meant when she mentioned she likes fairies.

“Aw,” I coo. “What is that?”

Lillie stops. “It’s a-” she goes red - “a... Swablu. Its - her name is Nebby.”

The crowd oohs, me along with it. Not a native Alolan ‘mon, but famous for being fluffballs no matter where you are. “Cool,” I give. Swablu is a flyer, yeah? This one has no beak, but neither does Gyarados, so I’m content not to question it. “In that case, thunder-shock again, Puff!” I’m yelling, whether because of excitement or the wind I don’t know. Cream Puff’s cheeks crackle like sparklers, and he lets the volts fly.

“Nebby, um - dodge!”

The Swablu is even faster than my Pichu, so fast in fact that I can’t even see her moving. She’s behind Puff in an instant, but makes no move to attack.

“Again, behind you!” I insist. “Try again!”
“K-Keep going, Nebby!”

Puff and Nebby dance around the circle, the former shooting off thunder-shocks in directions that might as well be random. Try as I might, I can’t make any sense of the way Nebby is moving, or even how she’s doing it. The double teaming move, right? Gotta be. But aren’t there usually copies involved?

...Maybe that’s just something they do in cartoons.

“Sh-She’s not hitting you,” I tell my Pichu carefully. “You have all the time in the world. You gotta aim, even if it seems impossible!” He’s getting tired, totally running low on juice. I wince. “Take it easy, gather your energy. Prepare a thunder-shock, just don’t let it go yet.”

His ears twitch; that’s not the command he was expecting. But he does it anyway, offering me a chirp when he’s ready to fire.

“Hold it,” I push, and he squeaks again. “I know it’s hard, but trust me. Only let it go when I say.”

Meanwhile, all of Lillie’s advice consists of generic encouragement. “Keep it up, Nebby! I believe in you! You’re doing great!” That sorta thing. Obvious amateur material.

That said, it’s not like I’m winning.

Yet.

Nebby continues to dart around the platform, never straying too far from Lillie. Her cries are... certainly unique; less of a “cheep” and more of a “pew.” I think I want a Swablu.

“On my mark,” I tell Puff, “spinner!”

That’s another trick I taught him. A simple 360. It comes so naturally to him that he doesn’t even look like he’s in a battle for a second, doesn’t look like he’s full of static. Lillie and Nebby don’t know what he’s doing, obviously, so if they guess wrong, there’s our opening.

Maybe we won’t even need that.

“Now!” I shout. “Don’t stop spinning!”

The bolt, just as I hoped, follows Puff’s circular motion - covering more ground than it would have if he’d been stationary. I’m guessing this comes at a cost of power or something, as the target wouldn’t be hit with the full duration of the shock, but at this point the only important thing is that the move connects.

Which it does.

Because I’m a genius, thank you very much.

“Yyyes!” I say. “You did it! Let’s gooo!”

Lillie recoils. Now it’s on her to try to hit mine.

“Nebby, are you okay?” she asks, stooping a bit to get herself closer to the Swablu. “You’re not hurt?”

Nebby pews again: she’s still in the game. Fine, we can do that again. I’m about to let Puff know when I’m cut off by the sky ripping apart.

Hot dang we haven’t had that kind of thunder all summer.

The sky over the mountains is dark, darker than it was a minute ago, darker than it has been in... probably months. But this is the worst time to get distracted, so I don’t, and tell Puff to do it again. “Thunder, hold, spinner, and - shock!”

Nebby squawks a bit with the damage. Lillie visibly trembles. Maybe because she’s losing? “Nice one!” I shout, because the wind is really picking up now. “Only one or two more and you’ll probably have her!”

The thunder is louder this time. It’s right above us, actually, and a fat raindrop shatters against my scalp, slithers through my hair. More join it, but I don’ even care; we’re almost done.

“Hahah,” I laugh. “A thunderstorm! Perfect! I’ll take the power boost!”

Lillie’s hat lifts off her head, and she only catches it at the last second. Tutu’s got his eyes up Mahalo Trail, and Kukui is ushering spectators under the short awnings of festival kiosks. “Let’s wrap this up,” I tell Puff. “Prepare another one.”

As soon as the words leave my mouth, a scream cuts through the wind behind me. Lillie’s horrified. Instinctually, I turn.

The dessert table is on fire.

There’s also a palm tree through the middle of it.

Which is also on fire.

...And there’s the thunder.

I clamp a hand over my mouth. What on Earth. As much as I want to look back at the battle, at Lillie and our Pokémon, I can’t peel my eyes off the smoldering leaves, the warping tablecloth, the burning sweetbreads and the blankets of falling water separating me from the whole scene. Shouldn’t they be puttin’ it out, the fire? I cover my eyes, force myself to look back at the stadium. It’s empty now save for me and Puff: Lillie, Nebby, Cannoli, and Tutu - the latter calling after me in vain - have joined Kukui and some of the villagers under one of the shorter buildings. One of the taller ones is on fire.

“Shoot!” I don’t have Puff’s ball on me, so I shepherd him in their direction. “Shoot shoot shoot shoot! I’m coming guys!”

My eyes sweep across the rest of Iki; yep, only two fires, I guess that’s a good thing. Rain drips down my clothes, and suddenly I’m shivering, skin prickling up like a cooked bird. I spring forward, readier than ever to leap off the platform to safety.

When I land, white hot pain fills my vision as hundreds of volts jump to the ground through my body.

The burning is indescribable.

There’s no way this much pain can be real.

My head is swimming. My eardrums burst, but I can’t hear a thing. The island hurtles up to my face and I’m asleep within the second.
Hau​
172MS8.png
728MS8.png
Cream Puff (Pichu, male)Cannoli (Popplio, male)
Brave natureQuiet nature
Gladion​
???​
???​
???​
??? (???, ???)??? (???, ???)??? (???, ???)
??? nature??? nature??? nature
Lillie​
789MS8.png
725MS8.png
Nebby (Cosmog, female)??? (Litten, male)
Impish natureNaughty nature
The bridge... it’s gone.

One half of it dangles from across the cavern separating us from the ruins; the other is invisible from where we stand. In the space where it used to be, only a tepid breeze.

I step back as the sheer depth of the ravine sinks in. My legs are like toothpicks, and I struggle to keep my balance.

“What...” Am I tearing up already? “What happened?”

Last edited:

Arowana

returning to my Pokemon roots (get it?)
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2021
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon likes to follow their whims wherever they may take them.
god damn this story starts off so strong

first of all, really nice cover and chapter art!! I love the banners, that's such a nice idea omg

the prologue is so cool with its action scenes (god, I wish I could write like that) and omg, I really love the idea of Gladion being the name he chose for himself!! I wonder if he's trans

but goddamn, the first chapter is stealing my heart, hau could you do this to me (😉)

I was not expecting Lillie out of all people to receive an Incineroar but ooooooh, maybe that's a way of showing her personality here? 👀 also lmao Nebby the Swablu, I guess Alolan people wouldn't really know what they look like, huh

I'm really really excited to read more, I can't wait!!!

theCape

Johto League Champion
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 6, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Seems to always be starting a new campaign/project despite not having enough time.
I really enjoyed this, I was hoping for Hau's sake he would get the Pokemon he wanted but obviously' that's not going to happen. Super interested in Hau having the Pichu already, does that mean he'll think of Cream Puff as more of a starter than Cannoli? Will he ever appreciate my favorite Alolan starter?

Also, love the theme naming!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
When Kukui said he’d taken on an assistant, I imagined a Hau’oli U biology major starting an internship in her field, or maybe a high school kid getting summer credits. But the girl hangin’ around Melemele Beach these past coupla months can’t be more than a year or so my senior. Or, the way she dresses, she might be sixty.
Still, here she is at the Melemele Lei Festival, a pep in her step and feather in her cap. Metaphorically speakin’, but then again, a whole Pikipek could be nestin’ in that thing and I wouldn’t be surprised.
Once again, I love your gift of snark.
Lillie stops. “It’s a-” she goes red - “a... Swablu. Its - her name is Nebby.”
Personally, my favorite idea of what to pass a Cosmog off as was in Twitch Plays Pokemon's Sun run, where the fans referred to Nebby as "Alolan Jumpluff." (Granted, this is partially because I love Jumpluff.)

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that Tapu Koko's freaking angry.

SprungGeoduck

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Beautiful
Okay, I love Hau now. This is such a fun take on his character, giving him a bit more bite and having things not always go his way right from the get go. I can't wait to see where his arc goes, especially when he crosses paths with Gladion. Keep it up!

MegaInfernape

Wisher for the Return of Megas
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 13, 2022
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Has a very erractic mind. It is not uncommon for it to be seen moving from one activity or project to another.
She jumps back, touching the tips of her tongue and punctured finger. I go, without looking, to pet Brioche again but there’s only air under my hand.

I look down, and follow his tail to find him sitting patiently in front of Lillie, kneading the wood.

She locks eyes with him when she notices, and from there, it’s history.
Hey hey hey. No. That's not okay Crash.
They’re whispering amongst themselves, looking back and forth between me and Tutu. Saving Kukui’s, Lillie gets no congratulations; I hear the word “grandson,” and suddenly I know why.

My eyes narrow and something behind them snaps.
Oh, I like this section. That last line is really great
He reaches under his robe, and I eye Cream Puff cautiously. “Two on one isn’t a fair fight,” he continues, and plucks out a great ball. Holds it out to Lillie. “Take my Crabominable,” he instructs her. “It’s only fair.”
AYO WTF? Oh sure Hala "fair" like a Crabominable against a Pichu is any sort of fair
My eyes sweep across the rest of Iki; yep, only two fires, I guess that’s a good thing. Rain drips down my clothes, and suddenly I’m shivering, skin prickling up like a cooked bird. I spring forward, readier than ever to leap off the platform to safety.

When I land, white hot pain fills my vision as hundreds of volts jump to the ground through my body.

The burning is indescribable.

There’s no way this much pain can be real.

My head is swimming. My eardrums burst, but I can’t hear a thing. The island hurtles up to my face and I’m asleep within the second.
This entire ending section is absolutely great and the description is so vivid

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
rough go on the starter choice, poor hau- BUT YEAH LILLIE YOU GO GET THAT CAT

nebby huh

also hau's kind of a sore loser damn

i imagine that uh,

the lightning has something to do with tapu koko

Users who are viewing this thread