• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Hoenn Mixed Media Teen The iStockphoto Nuzlocke Challenge: Photo Phinish

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A return to Hoenn ten years in the making
OP
Nate

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Rock
Pokédex Entry
The firing squad takes aim at me and shoots, but luckily I was able to perfectly dodge every bullet thanks to my mastery of the Cha-Cha Slide.
Nate's got a fresh new look and a fresh new water babby! Who is... not quite as cute as his non-stock-photo equivalent, but we love him anyway
It's hard to beat the OG Mudkip. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like:
Mumu_Mudkip.png

Holy shit the iStockphoto challenge is back? Time to climb out of hibernation.

Good luck! Hope to see much more of that unique brand of humor that still has me calling Ghetsis Get-Shiz occassionally to this very day.
I'll show you just how unique I can be by *squints* stealing photos from a stock photography website to make a Pokemon fancomic.
OH MY GOD IM LOVING THE STOCK PHOTOS, THEYRE SO FUN-
I CANT HONESTLY WAIT TO SEE HOW THIS GOES!
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned!
Bruiser... dude, you look stoned. You haven't been hitting the Oddish, have you?
Axolotls are the best because it's like they have built-in googly eyes.
To be fair to Birch Tree, hyenas can be brutal. I think Bruiser will be even more brutal, though. >:D
Barfing up that much water has to be brutal on the digestive system, at the very least.

Episode 2: Over River, Over Oldale
PYQADDd.png

Y'all remember May and Cheren, right? Don't worry: Cheren remembers you.
mudkip.gif
Bruiser
Thanks for reading! Haphazardly slap down any comments, questions, or criticism you have below!

Dumboldore

A mysterious creature not listed in the Pokédex.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Cheren, my bestest buddy! I'm so happy to see you return! Stalker Cheren was a more enjoyable rival than permanently pissed May, anyway.

Maybe not for Nate though.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Bestest buddy Cheren loves the trumpets. Bestest buddy Cheren has good tastes. 😤

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Honestly May deserves that beach holiday. Maybe getting out in the sun will be good for Cheren...?

Sheepscope

Johto League Champion
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
If I worry about my gender identity, it just confuses me, so I'm good with the three main ones. I just may correct a "he," though, but I take no offense from it.
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Wait. May had the grass lizard in Unova--did she pass him onto Cheren as well as the Exp All rival role?

OP
Nate

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Rock
Pokédex Entry
The firing squad takes aim at me and shoots, but luckily I was able to perfectly dodge every bullet thanks to my mastery of the Cha-Cha Slide.
Cheren, my bestest buddy! I'm so happy to see you return! Stalker Cheren was a more enjoyable rival than permanently pissed May, anyway.

Maybe not for Nate though.
There are only so many times I can point out "she's a calendar for some reason" before it stops being funny so I figured Cheren made for a better rival.
Bestest buddy Cheren loves the trumpets. Bestest buddy Cheren has good tastes. 😤
How can you not love those Hoenn MIDI trumpets?
Honestly May deserves that beach holiday. Maybe getting out in the sun will be good for Cheren...?
He'll spend one week in Hoenn and suddenly look like he belongs on Jersey Shore...
Wait. May had the grass lizard in Unova--did she pass him onto Cheren as well as the Exp All rival role?
I imagine it went something like this:
7B6ooP5.png

Episode 3: Old Region, New Features
9p3jEnN.png

The DexNav is such a cool tool, but it really soured me when the first time I used it I was given a Zigzagoon that was pretty much worthless.

I actually saved that green football helmet stock photo 10-ish years ago when I did the first run, but I decided to instead stealthily write it so that Wally's Ralts never actually showed up in the original comic so that I didn't have to figure out how to display whatever the hell Ralts is as a Stock Photo. I should've done that this time, it still makes no goddamn sense.
mudkip.gif
Bruiser
zigzagoon.gif
Merrimack
Please gently set down any comments, questions, or criticism below.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
You:
>No attacking moves
>No Pickup

The Zigzagoon they told you not to worry about:
>Pickup
>Attacking moves

I am very invested in Wally as Wall-E. Kind of want to see a run write Wally as a robot now. 👀

OP
Nate

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Rock
Pokédex Entry
You:
>No attacking moves
>No Pickup

The Zigzagoon they told you not to worry about:
>Pickup
>Attacking moves

I am very invested in Wally as Wall-E. Kind of want to see a run write Wally as a robot now. 👀
I was surprised at how much more we saw of Wally in the remake! Well, towards the end of the game, at least...

Episode 4.1: All Fallen Down
3qhPfcO.png

dancing-letter-letter-f.gif
Foolishly place your comments, questions, and criticism below.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
I'm loving Wally as Wall-E. I truly don't have any better suggestions for Ralts than what you've got; Kirlia could be a ballerina, and Gardevoir, uh... Gardevoir is something you should never do an image search for. Ever.

OP
Nate

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Rock
Pokédex Entry
I'm loving Wally as Wall-E. I truly don't have any better suggestions for Ralts than what you've got; Kirlia could be a ballerina, and Gardevoir, uh... Gardevoir is something you should never do an image search for. Ever.
Honestly, Gardevoir was way easier to come up with than whatever Gallade is. Thankfully, iStockphoto lets you filter the more...untoward stuff out.

April Fools! Here's the real fourth episode!

Episode 4: Karate Guy Seeking Sloth, All Offers Accepted
qKyIJpH.png

Goodbye, Sally. We hardly knew ye.
marshtomp.gif
Bruiser
zigzagoon.gif
Merrimack
makuhita.gif
Makit

Exchange your comments, questions, and criticisms below, and maybe you'll get a sloth too!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I'm... not sure if this new picture for Bruiser is better or worse

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.

Sheepscope

Johto League Champion
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
If I worry about my gender identity, it just confuses me, so I'm good with the three main ones. I just may correct a "he," though, but I take no offense from it.
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
Do stockphoto!Marshtomp dream of mercy? 🤔

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Oh man, I remember your old Ruby iStockphoto Challenge back in the day. It always cracked me the hell up! I love your creativity in representing the more unusual (or funnier) characters with stock photos. Glad that calendar!May made a cameo here, because that was one of my faves from the original. Love Wall-E Wally and Ralts being a child in a dress and a football helmet as well. And the Konami Code EXP Share. It warms my heart to see that this run exists.

OP
Nate

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Rock
Pokédex Entry
I'm... not sure if this new picture for Bruiser is better or worse
When I go digging through iStockphoto I do try and find the photos that evoke the most visceral reaction. I'm glad to know this one worked.
Do stockphoto!Marshtomp dream of mercy? 🤔
No need to dream of mercy when you're a waking nightmare.
Oh man, I remember your old Ruby iStockphoto Challenge back in the day. It always cracked me the hell up! I love your creativity in representing the more unusual (or funnier) characters with stock photos. Glad that calendar!May made a cameo here, because that was one of my faves from the original. Love Wall-E Wally and Ralts being a child in a dress and a football helmet as well. And the Konami Code EXP Share. It warms my heart to see that this run exists.
This really means a lot to me! Thank you! I really feel like I've done my job if I can give you at the very least a quick chortle.

Episode 5: A Rock in the Park
FSZcxhm.jpg

The first cameo appearance by a former team member! You remember Robbie the Carracosta, right? He's finally cleaned up that potty mouth and got a real job (and the existential horror that comes with existing in the modern workforce).
marshtomp.gif
Bruiser
zigzagoon.gif
Merrimack
makuhita.gif
Makit

Rock and roll with those questions, comments and criticism below!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
Is therapy covered by Devon Corps health insurance?

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dragon
holy moley I loved the stock photo runs back in the day. I'm so glad you're back and doing this again, Nate. This is already incredible. And I'm excited for more.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Eyyy, Robbie's back! And working as a therapist for those dealing with the existential terror of dying in the world they knew and waking up to one with capitalism!

songwithnosoul

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Oh, I forgot about Geodude and Nosepass... I like the simplicity of Geodude just being a rock, and Nosepass just straight-up being a nose is very funny. I also like the stock photo representing Mr. Briney--the expression on the model's face as he stares straight into the camera is very something, and whatever it is is a lot more interesting than just any old man in boat captain attire. Stone Cold Steve Austin as the Devon Corp. president is great too, and I enjoyed the slow zoom over Robbie's existential crisis. You really excel at making these stock photos visually interesting and expressive!

Users who are viewing this thread