• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Kanto Commentary Hack The Incredible, Magical, Wonderful, Radical Pokémon FireRed Advanced Sorta Blind Sorta Not Nuzlocke: The Return of Games Van Der Beek

alan smithee

Games Van Der Beek
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
His Roaring Fists Do the Talking
DISCLAIMER: This is a direct sequel to my previous nuzlocke. Please make that sure you have read that previous nuzlocke before reading this new one, otherwise you will be lost. Thank you.

Sequels are hard, man. Maybe it's just me, but it feels like there's so much more pressure put on the followup than there is on the original work. A larger audience means dealing with larger expectations, it's not enough for a sequel to be good, it's supposed to be bigger and better, new yet familiar. That's a lot easier said than done. So before we get this thing started, I just wanted to make one thing clear: If you were a fan of my previous series, I can't promise you that I'll be able to make something that vibes with you in exactly the same way. This is not an attempt to top or replicate my last run. What this is is an attempt at making another (hopefully entertaining) screenshot run for the fine folks of these fair forums. So please: adjust your expectations accordingly, sit back, relax, buckle your seat belt, grab some popcorn, look both ways before crossing the road, don't mix up your metaphors and GET READY for The Incredible, Magical, Wonderful, Radical Pokémon FireRed Advanced Sorta Blind Sorta Not Nuzlocke: The Return of Games Van Der Beek!

mdVwtIm.png

Firered Advanced is a ROM hack made by the Nuzlocke Forum’s very own Z-nogyroP. This hack aims to provide a unique Kanto experience by introducing a more varied roster of Pokémon, a plethora of quality of life tweaks and, perhaps most notably, somehow making every Pokémon viable. Yes, even Unown. I don't know how they did it either. I don't know a lot about this game, frankly, so if you want some more context I implore you to go check out the Pokécommunity page or play it yourself for a more in-depth look at what's been changed. If it wasn't already clear, this is a hack that I have never played before. Luckily for me, the download file contains lengthy documentation of revised stats, trainers, routes and more. I will be consulting these notes, the aforementioned Pokécommunity page and the Nuzlocke Forums discord for help throughout the upcoming journey, explaining why this run is considered only "sorta" blind.

1. If one of your delicate babies faint in battle, they are forever lost to the shadow realm, never to be seen or heard from again
2. You may only catch the first Pokémon that you encounter in any given area
-Dupes Clause is on: if it ain’t new, it ain’t for you
-Gift and Trade Clause is on: if ain’t free, it ain’t for me
-Shiny Clause is on: if you see that shine, it’s catching time
3. People who don’t play in SET smell like egg
4. Since I am very unfamiliar with this game, I am forgoing my usual healing restrictions and choosing instead to avoid using potions during trainer battles wherever possible, but allowing them in emergency situations as a "last resort"
5. Nicknames are half the reason anybody reads this nonsense so they better be good, damnit

gY0VBKr.png
3U8Gw8z.png
T3eTz7i.png

What even is the Game Freak logo? Like, what is that symbol supposed to look like? That ain't no Pikamander I've ever seen, I can say that for sure.

Oh yeah, welcome to the nuzlocke or whatever. To adventure!

3Wf8SGm.png
3Wf8SGm.png

Going to skip through Oak's preamble since it's basically the same as the one in Crystal and I've already said my piece on that.

Ujnz3nx.png
e4YRqY7.png

I may a boy type Pokémon in real life, but I've always thought that the FRLG version of Red looks like a HUGE DORK, so I'm going with this little lady instead. She's less of a Games Van Der Beek and more of a Gamey Lee Curtis, but I think she'll work out just fine.

h9aVAR4.png
qhnxdhU.png
JB2FXJc.png

I’m gonna be real with you: no matter what I name this guy, I don’t think it’ll be able to compare to the raw comedic powerhouse of naming Silver “Capitalism”. Silver’s dialogue was just too perfect for satire and I highly doubt the stars will ever align in quite the same spectacular way again. I could name Blue “The 1%” or “Bourgeoise” or “Bezos” or something like that, but I’d rather not rehash that old gag for the sake of fan service. Furthermore, Blue is a very different character from Silver, he’s not some kind of dastardly fiend, he's more of an immature, childish bully. He's a petty jerk and an absolute clown using the illusion of intelligence to mask his ignorance and incompetence.

Rszwbbw.png

So I’m naming him Ben Shapiro.

mfz2Lnc.png

Oak!

JHDPWmn.png
WALeOzg.png
Lcm0yQ6.png

TO ADVENTUUURRREEE...

uMdyKEj.png

How come this is an NES and not an SNES? The SNES had been out for six years when RBY came out in '96, shouldn't that have been the player's console of choice? Strange, that.

fmDcxt2.png
jdD4Xtp.png

But the question remains: Do all android girls dream of electric traveling?

KrN64I8.png

I usually go with the red or green border to stay on-brand with whatever version I'm playing, but seeing as this hack is all about mixing things up, we're going to go with the Eiffel 65 frame instead.

XHvYuMT.png

What do they study in there, Trevenant?

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

gM2Z24N.png
9WKOKQB.png

Jokes on you, I don't hold any authority in high regard!

orJwmPU.png
tZ4tvVy.png
cI8ExPa.png
Ph1Cp4a.png

"This road is home to a couple birds and a handful of rats, it's much too dangerous for a ten year old to navigate by themselves! You'd be much safer being put in charge of, say, a dinosaur frog who can manipulate plants, or a lizard that is always on fire, or a turtle that is also part gun. My name is Samuel Oak and I have a PhD."

bS37hEP.png
HsZwqvr.png

Don't say the "t" word around him, Oak, he doesn't know what it means.

b4F1hkj.png

I should have guessed, vampires can't get inside if you don't invite them in first.

TY9sujV.png
T915fim.png
9L9UClq.png
luz28OG.png

What happened to the rest, did those bloodthirsty Route 1 birds and/or rats get to 'em first?

20MMpUv.png
eChePbE.png
dgYYPxd.png
rWwojsQ.png

[citation needed]

lxC9ZpP.png
oKmomCk.png
yCFpVBY.png
4qgtuWN.png

These are some mighty fine starters to chose from and also Fennekin. As stated earlier, every Pokémon in this hack has been altered in some way to make them more usable and the starters are no exception to this rule. My sources say that Treecko will become a grass/dark glass cannon with the Sniper ability, Fennekin a technical fire/psychic Serene Grace user and Oshawott a defensive water/fighting mixed attacker with Shell Armor. I’ve always preferred my bulky boys to my fragile fellas, making Oshawott the easy pick here. All for the best, as Oshawott is already a Pokémon I like an Osha-lot, and I've wanted it to get that fighting subtype for the longest time.

Also I directly asked Z-nogyroP which starter was best for a first-time nuzlocke and they said to go with Oshawott, so...

g71tYHY.png
AoWTxog.png
vA70pXu.png
0PE2VGI.png

Please welcome Space Ottidy to the team! It's like Space Oddity, but with otters and spelled wrong because I am a fool. Relaxed is a VERY good nature for a Samurott-to-be, so we're off to a great start in that regard. Take your protein pills and put your helmet on, little buddy, 'cause I'm taking you straight to the stars!

o7JExDW.png
Q7zcMeN.png
8v4STih.png

"Let's say, hypothetically, that you picked Oshawott. Let's say that I picked Treecko. Now, let's say, for the sake of argument, that I challenged you to a battle. Let's say all of that happened. If I were to challenge you, is it not common logic to assume that I did so because I knew that I was going to win? So now that we've established that you are a loser and that I am a winner, I think that you would agree with me that, logically speaking, I have just won this Pokémon battle. Am I not correct?"

fIRadOM.png
wrlnxUC.png
ebaJH9D.png
UTS3L3A.png

Thankfully, we managed to defeat Ben Shapiro’s evil plant gecko using the power of our David Bowie ninja otter, which is a sentence so mindblowingly fantastic it singlehandedly justifies this entire franchise’s existence. If all of Pokémon was simply an elaborate ploy to lead us as a species to this one perfect moment, I could die satisfied.

nYr5s9v.png

But now I've got the running gun blues...

IYK70LA.png

Ah, Viridian City... it's just like Pewter, but without all of the stuff!

y4oOexk.png
Mfsv5AU.png

I was gonna make a joke here, but then I just got depressed thinking about how a Klefki gets better, more accessible healthcare than I do. So that's... a fun realization...

ec8qvzf.png

Here's a story: When I was a little kid playing my very legal FireRed ROM for the first time on my very legal emulator, I refused to move any Pokémon in or out of the PC until I got to Bill. Why? Because I was too suspicious of something called "Someone's PC". Who is this "Someone" and why should I trust them to look after my Pokémon?!

Needless to say, I was a dumb kid.

6g5Vxi3.png

Bagception!

v4NaxX0.png

I spot a Bezos, a Gates, a Musk, a Zuckerberg...

vzI6leQ.png

Move Tutors are supposedly very common in FireRed Advanced. They're also reusable (as are TMs), which is a huge plus.

aLLHgG6.png
mzJVgTy.png

:madfrog: hippity hoppity abolish private property

pRKhfyo.png

Truthfully, I don't know what noise I expected a sentient mushroom to make, but it definitely wasn't "Mishmoo!"

fcX7W9t.png

For the first time ever, I feel truly and completely seen.

BL4Ffch.png
PDO0hRM.png
FfOo0Nn.png
tfJtEaE.png

He also gave us Pokéballs, an item that I actually have a use for, but because I am a buffoon I failed to get that screenshot. Please send all of your complaints to [email protected].

KZl9Aqs.png
KwfvsTh.png

"Yup! They're all around the world, waiting for you! Just... just not that one..."

7taHJXA.png
MU1fWiW.png
8eW3U8u.png
upCgPZ8.png

Please welcome Ferret Bueller to the team! The first thing people told me when I mentioned that I was going to nuzlocke FireRed Advanced was not to sleep on Sentret. Sure, he's not that tough right now, but upon evolution, this lad gets a respectable 455 BST and access to the always-broken Fur Coat. My love of the normal type is extremely well documented, so I am very excited to see what this little dude can do. Sassy is by a... less than stellar nature for this Pokémon, but it's also pretty damn fitting when considering the nickname. Life moves pretty fast, but Ferret Bueller does not.

ecGgQlW.png

I guess some towns have little patches of tall grass added to them? I can dig it. Gives me more opportunities to get team members and more efficient grinding spots, since the Pokémon Center is only a few steps away.

VwDDrlF.png
4GWuH8k.png
YigH37A.png
ITbmrtc.png

Please welcome Psychick to the team! As I've said before, I'm generally not a huuuge fan of glass cannons, but psychic/flying is an interesting typing and Magic Guard is always a blast, so I'm gonna give this guy a chance. I don't know if he's endgame material considering my preferred playstyle, but at the very least he should be a valuable asset during the early-to-mid game.

EfzZIaP.png

Thank yOU!

tdsgURL.png
iFOIZyx.png

This is another quality of life change that I really appreciate. I wish the official games did something like this so I wouldn't have to constantly check Serebii for gym levels.

WZ3MiYF.png
jgreGuV.png
gNro0Ey.png
ZrF164J.png

Please welcome Serenity Meow to the team! I feel bad for anybody here who hasn't seen Seinfeld, because otherwise this nickname must seem like complete nonsense. Delcatty got a huge reworking, gaining major stat boosts, the fairy typing and the Pixilate ability. This is all fantastic, although somewhat hindered by Delcatty now being primarily physical while mine is Modest. Even still, I think there's a lot of potential here.

xGApYxK.png
vedwBEb.png
OoIXx8k.png
JjeQ4z1.png

Please welcome Coldergeist to the team! This nickname admittedly fits better on Froslass, but since the entire Snorunt line is based on various spirits and yōkai, I still think it works. Advanced Glaile is a physical wall and physical attacker (making Relaxed an ideal nature once again) equipped with Sturdy and an ice/steel typing. This is all extremely enticing, making it all the more frustrating that you have to wait until level 35 for Snorunt to evolve. However, I have heard that the level curve in this version of Kanto is a bit steeper, so...we'll see...

4V9EHao.png
Kio7dHT.png
wDW225t.png
Eu0J2hw.png

Please welcome Beelzebug to the team! Gotta carry on the legacy of Caterclysm somehow. While I greatly appreciate this hack's addition of a water/bug Masquerain, this is a catch I am decidedly less enthusiastic for, not because it's bad, far from it, but just because I already have the role of resident water type filled by Space Ottidy. Likely going to get boxed, but I'm sure she'll make a solid reserve party member if we ever need backup for an especially difficult gym or something like that.

4nFSGqv.png
M0IEutU.png
5z6fkGc.png
8x6IByh.png
l22Odnk.png
wusCxM8.png

Just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the greatness that is Ferret Bueller.
szqCI3f.png

R8GvJsn.png
zoRtvYg.png

Ben Shapiro DESTROYS my HOPES AND DREAMS using petty insults FACTS and LOGIC

o3DAmBT.png
YyokeCS.png
ow4o7VK.png
3CplbcR.png
8uki13c.png
XrKyZnE.png
ChtbO9M.png
86LTGbg.png

This battle actually went pretty poorly and I just barely got through unscathed, but through the power of editing I can make it look like a near-effortless curb stomp. I learned it from watching you, BEN.

72yYTnA.png

Man, I miss these lean mean new scene screens. They added a lot to the a t m o s p h e r e, you know?

bO5Qtmm.png
7dL72Ho.png

I don't think that's why they're itching, bud.

OK4kHVK.png
B5jK48O.png

There's some new moves in this hack too? Neat!

Aid8bPC.png

There's rematches for every trainer in this hack too? Neat!

9Y3fKcp.png

You can if you're jambidextrous!

JCW1pcS.png

F3bWRhp.jpg

y7rZz2s.png

After a surprisingly short trip through Viridian Forest we make it to Pewter City! The land of rocks and... more rocks!

nHUEgCW.png
M9SXwxK.png
AfGvdC1.png
KWzeGq0.png

Friends? Please, call us comrades. Remember kid, you can't spell "revolution" without u and i!

8kHoYMV.png

Looks like these garden areas are themed around specific types, this one being electric and the last one being psychic. This is such a cool little addition, I love it!

clvNBRC.png
wmWGgw3.png
pb4bh8Q.png
ucpSEi2.png

Please welcome Calambity to the team! Sheep baby returns! Everybody knows that the Mareep line is great, so going into detail about exactly why would be entirely unnecessary. You can't go wrong with this perfect friend-shaped wool child and I am beyond thrilled to use one again. A no-brainer addition to the squad, although that does mean Beelzebug is getting the box treatment, as predicted.

mh7IZLL.png
cqWFgzK.png
qBNMaK6.png

Yeah, uh... no.

mYsGGIk.png

The Pokécommunity page makes it extremely clear that talking to this guy is absolutely imperative, so let's see what he has to say.

PnFPLrp.png
1jm0XFE.png
FQiOF6C.png
Z9wniys.png

I did NOT see that coming, but I am NOT complaining!

6NRjnPY.png
owzqi4S.png
Kcm2WMe.png

Please welcome The Brady Punch to the team! Not going to make him a main member, as Space Ottidy will eventually have that fighting type covered, but he'll be great for the upcoming Brock fight.

bsGyeSs.png
aFRqpCx.png

Looks like you can revive fossils a lot earlier, making the fossil Pokémon a lot more practical. Nice!

2LutrtF.png

You are now entering the pro gamer dimension.

U7gKJiM.png

But if I give you 50P, my money count won't be the very funny haha weed number anymore! Aw BEANS!

8QL436Q.png

nice

vRSUpQD.png
KpwTqXg.png
Dbp3gFP.png
LH0rKTd.png
pAU3Lrl.png
0mgXY3k.png
HT9Eunh.png
6k2tiGI.png

92pppiw.gif

OaFar8a.png

Ooohhh yeaaaahhh...

6EsYxpA.png

Bow bow!

SFz0wMh.png

Chick, chicka chicka!

tCxG8Ji.png
26Qk44g.png

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss Pickup, but seeing as it's being replaced with Fur Coat you can probably classify that complaint under "good problem". Hooray for Ferret Bueller!

4yhmJqW.png
PzJ3EAM.png

And the good news just keeps on coming! I think Flaafy might be my favorite of its whole evolutionary line to be honest, it's got the ideal wool-to-body ratio and a very unique color scheme for an electric type. I want to protect it, I want to see it grow up healthy and I want to tell my friends and neighbors about it.

SzngtOy.png

After a lot of training, we're finally ready to rock w/ Brock! I boxed Psychick for the time being to make room for The Brady Punch, for what should be obvious reasons.

ibYIuBo.png
RwouWwq.png

Normally I preface these fights with a brief overview of my opinion on the gym leader in question but there is absolutely nothing interesting you can say about Brock. He's is as boring as boring gets. Has the personality of a literal rock, this guy. What a chump.

eIsMBMR.png
E6XTHZz.png

An easy KO. Glad to see that the gyms are going to use more uniquely typed Pokémon such as Lileep. I like when gym leaders have more diverse teams, it forces you to think on your feet, ya know?

wVXgPbl.png
TJ43vDW.png
7Y0R7du.png

OH.

OKAY.

COOL.

THANKS.

jXG5iM8.png
L6fFznG.png
y64nELF.png
4YNoRNu.png

Calambity takes care of the Hellsnail, but it was too little too late. Dwebble was a lot trickier, but with the combined efforts of Calambity's Static, Space Ottidy's Water Gun and Ferret Bueller's Wrapstalling, we managed to make through the rest of the battle unscathed.

rQIfuiH.png
GRR1PyJ.png
Uszialw.png
zWYFy8w.png

YEAH, YOU WEREN'T THE ONLY ONE TAKING THEIR OPPONENTS FOR GRANTED, BROCCOLI.

nI63haC.png
fNGscMz.png
tnvImqg.png

As he lays his fallen comrade to rest -- ashes to ashes, funk to funky -- Space Ottidy vows to become stronger, rising to the occasion as all great warriors must do in times of need...

ScFIgHn.png
rZUuJpA.png
9yrLi9f.png

Rubble Rush is another new move, this one being a rock-type equivalent to Quick Attack. Missed opportunity to call it Brick Attack, if you ask me.

BDHuqwo.png

I barely knew you, The Brady Punch, but I'm still sad to see you go nonetheless. Whatever comes next, we're doing it for you, buddy.

bCCzUn1.png

Invigorated by their victories and humbled by their losses, our heroes forge onward into this strange, unfamiliar land. What awaits them on their journey? Only time will tell...

Last edited:

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
good post OP

looking at this hack, and the hack i'm making, and what i'm trying to accomplish with that hack...i'm glad i decided not to hack firered, because this is basically what i would've made, except with less stuff.

but that is a nice team. shame about tyrogue though.

Uncle Pine

This kills the crab
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 13, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
I had never noticed how much sass and disrespect ran rampant in Oak's laboratory.

This road is home to a couple birds and a handful of rats, it's much too dangerous for a ten year old to navigate by themselves!
Parisians say hi.

I We are thrilled to see the start of another of your runs, even more so considering it's a hack by Z-nogyroP. A pity that BradyPunch was OnePunched by Brock's Omanyte, did Whirpool receive a buff?
May you channel the strength of fallen comrades to your own advantage, and best of luck on your playthrough.

Tsugumi Hazawa

Ordinary but Hardworking
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Haneoka High School (IRL: Makassar, Indonesia)
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Character: She/Her, IRL: He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Whoops, we will miss that Tyrogue thanks to Brock's... Omanyte. Anyways I have a feeling this is like also have an increased difficulty ramp from the original FireRed so good luck with it, and may RNG be with you.

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
Thankfully, we managed to defeat Ben Shapiro’s evil plant gecko using the power of our David Bowie ninja otter, which is a sentence so mindblowingly fantastic it singlehandedly justifies this entire franchise’s existence. If all of Pokémon was simply an elaborate ploy to lead us as a species to this one perfect moment, I could die satisfied.

Glorious.

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
He's a petty jerk and an absolute clown using the illusion of intelligence to mask his ignorance and incompetence.

So I’m naming him Ben Shapiro.

And that was when I knew: I was in for a beautiful time.

Also I didn't read your first run and now I'm just purposefully ignoring your otherwise very good advice. Hah. FireRed Advance is a really great hack, and you'll have fun with it! Even if your poor Tyrogue is already dead...

alan smithee

Games Van Der Beek
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
good post OP

looking at this hack, and the hack i'm making, and what i'm trying to accomplish with that hack...i'm glad i decided not to hack firered, because this is basically what i would've made, except with less stuff.

but that is a nice team. shame about tyrogue though.
Aw, don't let that get you down, I'm sure your hack is gonna have some rad things of its own that are totally unique! You should send it to me when it's finished, I'd love to check it out. And yes, my team is exclusively cool dudes/dudettes only, thank you for noticing.

I had never noticed how much sass and disrespect ran rampant in Oak's laboratory.

Parisians say hi.

I We are thrilled to see the start of another of your runs, even more so considering it's a hack by Z-nogyroP. A pity that BradyPunch was OnePunched by Brock's Omanyte, did Whirpool receive a buff?
May you channel the strength of fallen comrades to your own advantage, and best of luck on your playthrough.
I don't think Whirlpool got a buff as much as my Tyrogue happened to be the worst Pokémon short of a Magcargo for handling Whirlpool:
C935XqC.png

Best of luck to you as well, comrade.

Whoops, we will miss that Tyrogue thanks to Brock's... Omanyte. Anyways I have a feeling this is like also have an increased difficulty ramp from the original FireRed so good luck with it, and may RNG be with you.
Aye, his death was a sobering reminder to remain vigilant in these curious times. I think your feeling is definitely accurate. All for the best, I'd say. I've played through Kanto so many times that, at this point, I welcome a difficulty spike.

Glorious.
Indeed.

And that was when I knew: I was in for a beautiful time.

Also I didn't read your first run and now I'm just purposefully ignoring your otherwise very good advice. Hah. FireRed Advance is a really great hack, and you'll have fun with it! Even if your poor Tyrogue is already dead...
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm glad you're enjoying the run! Although, I'd still highly recommend reading the last nuzlocke first. There are and are going to be a lot of events and jokes here that reference stuff that happened there (especially in this episode), so it's a pretty important thing to have read if you want the full TIMWRPFRASBSNN:TRoJVDB experience. You know, context and all that. Plus, I think it's pretty entertaining in its own right, but I have been informed that I'm a bit biased there.

Zj0kFpm.png

Welcome back to The Incredible, Magical, Wonderful, Radical Pokémon FireRed Advanced Sorta Blind Sorta Not Nuzlocke: The Return of Games Van Der Beek, a title that's as long as the wait is between updates. In my defense, Bojack Horseman AND The Good Place both aired their series finales within the a day of each other, so I've been a bit preoccupied with being super sad, like, all of the time.

gdjZSOr.png

You ever think about how repels work? I always assumed it was like bug repellent, like it creates some kind of odor that Pokémon can't stand, but then how do you explain stuff like Geodude or Litwick that don't have noses? Is it some kind of chemical-based spray that hurts them if they go near it? Wouldn't that attract something like Trubbish or Koffing? How would it even work on steel types, who can't be hit by poison moves? Am I putting way more thought into this than anybody at Game Freak ever has? Why am I still talking? Was there any point to this? Is there any point to anything? Why are we here? Just to suffer?

oKy94cV.png
HYlAZVH.png
cw3bzI6.png

Forget those birds, if you ask me, "Route 3 girls who lack all spatial awareness" are Kanto's real legendary trio.

YDRG1rb.png

Weird how Confusion is a psychic move, yet Confuse Ray is a ghost move. You might even say it's confusing. I'll see myself out.

BXMTWiC.png
U6inYFD.png
uste8qs.png

*Ahem*

Shorts.

0F8JN8E.png

FC3Ophc.png
SKEeiVr.png

At last, STAB moves that use my Pokémon's dominant attacking stats. Physical/special split, I've missed you.

ePt40PJ.png
ztYNwCC.png

Please welcome Gulp Fiction! Named after the Quentin Tyranitarantino film, of course. Swalot's pretty great, but I'm gonna put this little goober in the box for now. He's under leveled and I'm satisfied with my team composition for the time being. A+ nickname, though.

6e0aaW8.png

"BROCK IS A VERY GOOD NOT-BAD MAN. HE HAS NEVER COMMITTED ANY CRIMES SO DO NOT EVEN WORRY ABOUT IT. PEOPLE LIKE AND RESPECT HIM."

ARFBmfI.png
zRKZsTn.png

I can't tell if this is an upgrade or a downgrade from Magikarp.

BT7kNPJ.png
jWe0y3i.png

Please welcome Fincent Van Gogh! To the box, that is. I got no use for yet another water type other than stacking the 'dex for Dupes Clause.

gHNzH8M.png

Personally, I would have named this place "Clefairy's Cool Cave Clubhouse", but to each their own I suppose.

wezfIcO.png

Uib0X4v.png

sXB85nU.png

z6VpQD4.png

GdH2RVC.png
7bLxXiQ.png

Please welcome Granite Jackson! I have been waiting for ages to use this nickname. Since the last run, actually. Now if only I had any desire to use her. Oh well.

GqcxTKr.png
c8ioxq7.png

NIhkaJK.jpg

7wQ38go.png

On so, on this most holy of holy days, the clouds did part, and the heavens did shine, and as I bathed in their glorious light, the voice of the Lord themself did whisper in mine ear:

"The B2W2 repel system is back. Don't even sweat it, m'dude. It's all gonna be cowabunga."

RdZ03f0.png
dl8VvVA.png

"WOWEE, THAT BROCK FELLOW SURE IS HELPFUL. WHAT A HELPFUL, TRUSTWORTHY, NON-CRIMINAL GUY. I BET HE PROBABLY DOES NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT A TAX FRAUD IS, ON ACCOUNT OF BEING SO BUSY WITH HELPING PEOPLE AND NOT VIOLATING THE LAW. HAHAHAHA."

bms2GXE.png
eSihsLp.png
DJGKqYr.png

Ooo, speaking of crime~

A5mZ1YD.png
XpogVUM.png
lkN7jlW.png

oh no i gave my cat a weird rock i found and now she is stuck in one of those neck pillows people wear on airports please somebody help

lyTNQjk.png

In all seriousness, Skitty goes from dead weight to first rate with this evolution, Pixelate is superb. Really hoping that I didn't evolve her too early and missed out on any good moves, but even if I did, I'm sure there are plenty of move tutors and TMs to amend any possible potential foolishness (PPF).

S3pnNTp.png
Yaror9F.png

Exploiting incredible breakthroughs in genetic research for the sake of capitalist greed?

DID YOU FOOLS LEARN NOTHING FROM JURASSIC PARK???

HS5yDSq.png
AmezNBp.png
aTFde3M.png
5rXXOtI.png

You know, it's the little things that make a hack special.

mUsFXcE.png

Fun fact about Dunsparce, these are it's stats in FireRed Advanced:

#041- Dunsparce
Type- Normal/Dragon
100/80/80/80/80/50 (470 BST)
Ability- Serene Grace

There is a very real chance that, at some point, I could actually lose a Pokémon to a Dunsparce, and the thought alone is enough to keep me up at night.

OYAfmDz.png

But that day is not today.

0O0tuhG.png

Ominous Wind? "Terrornado" was sitting right there you guys. Come on.

tLIh7mn.png

How about I get both of them because I beat you fair and square and you only have one super powered murdermonster to defend yourself, whereas I have a full team of six, none of which are even remotely unconscious, unlike yours. Sound good, pal?

kypzVzD.png
ASlpOmh.png

Apparently GBA's don't speak snark, so we're sticking to this "pick one" deal. I don't see my rival anywhere, but this is some B.S.

amQjYqL.png
z3TGI0c.png

Going with Archen over Amaura after a thorough analysis of the two Pokémon's stats, moves, abilities, gym matchups, type weaknesses, type strengths, etc. so that I could make the most responsible, strategic and beneficial decision to maximize our chances of victory.

Just kidding, I went with Archen 'cause I like cool dino birds.

TtwZwa6.png
o1uz3GN.png
3DSswhh.png

7POjtR6.jpg

V4o3dco.png
bCrhNmj.png

Please welcome Bamboozled! Rad pandas are, last I checked, rad, but again, not really looking for a fighting type at the moment. Could amount to something down the road, but I wouldn't count on it.

UjBtQ2A.png

Cerulean, to me, always feels like the turning point for Kanto. This is where the game really gets going. The towns start to have some more personality and the routes begin to feel a tad more memorable, with more distinct environments and weird events like the Nugget Bridge. Beans-wise? Pretty cool.

LmhGRZM.png
CkSLrj7.png
sX5Z9Sz.png

Of course the first stop when entering a new town has to be talking to my best buddy Halpert here, and while a TM isn't as mindblowingly advantageous as a whole new party member, a TM also has a much lower chance of dying horribly, so... that's a plus!

PIhHrf7.png
tvEiEzs.png
0Hq4JDK.png
p6kN8Tc.png
YIH07cV.png

Sometimes I feel intimidated knowing that this game writes better jokes about it's own stupid dialogue than I ever could.

UH8jWuS.png
pzZcKC8.png

Imagine keeping a bicycle indoors when you aren't using it and not inside a backpack like a normal person would.

Qg4hH97.png
02m1BbS.png
A32ak8Q.png

"Please leave my shop, you're getting your poor all over the carpet."

OG2E3GR.png
V2rCiMS.png

"One time, I saw him camp outside the daycare with a stack of eggs and just... ride back and forth in a circle, for hours. Said he was looking for a 'slightly greener Bulbasaur'. Guy's a nutcase, I tell ya."

OMZ6eHq.png
yWRlFT0.png

I've always wanted to use a Lanturn, I'll have to keep this trade in mind if I find a Buizel. Although Space Ottidy and Calambity take priority, of course.

9wpa9ux.png
Gxi9MEg.png
0Ou09mL.png
hpOR3Zq.png
O4kjbfq.png
i2uRdtL.png

To each according to his ability to learn Aurora Beam, to each according to his needs to learn Aurora Beam.

j5YtxS5.png
n0fgegR.png
c73GEzb.png
WaepLrN.png
eLh5kLD.png

No problem, I'm always happy to add another member to the squad. So, what kind of Pokémon do you have h-

Nk22wOE.png

OFBS7bA.gif

riIqsCp.png
i6JBj7V.png
cXKmwhd.png

Look at my boy. Look at my perfect boy. I was going to avoid reusing nicknames for any repeat Pokémon I used in the last run (as seen with Calambity) but here? Any other name would be a crime. PLEASE welcome my sweet, precious child BIG QUILL JR. to the team! Typhlosion is somehow even better in this hack, becoming more of a physical attacker and gaining the always-amazing ground type, so I am very excited. It's the beginning of a new Quillenium, my comrades, and we are standing at its forefront.

NNHokkX.png

Chose to box Coldergeist to make room, as everything ice moves are good against I have another, often stronger counter for elsewhere on the team, as well as most of them now knowing Aurora Beam. Might add him back later, but for now he's out.

ukd4x8Q.png
Kwy4HgB.png
FSEOTAN.png

"alan, you can't use two Pokémon you used in the last nuzlocke!"
LHtaAUx.jpg

KZqb4MJ.png
eF3XIzb.png
PaoL2XT.png

Oh god it's 2 AM Ben I don't want to debate your rational galactic hypermind right now, please, have mercy.

f3E6nTv.png
eEEYYg1.png

You know, the eventual Scoilipede is going to go really well with Ben's knack for circular logic, now that I think about it.

hURyJXM.png
2GFD9Pj.png
M3ygUun.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ben Shapiro DESTROYS the Pokémon I spent all game training with FACTS and LOGIC

m1tiTms.png
ClilaUA.png
SH5GXf5.png
w9LL6Ej.png
eiLrYxt.png
nBEA7FA.png

The rest of the fight was easy, but the grieving process that lay ahead would not be.

WkxTlkY.png
LplPeKn.png

You know it's funny how vehemently anti-communist Ben Shapiro is, because he's easily the most classless person I've ever met.

FKVjRjo.png
jNiGP4z.png
PwTGfRC.png

I know for a fact HMs aren't overridable, so if somebody could tell me if there's a move deleter within a reasonable distance before I commit to using this, that would be great. Also Ben Shapiro is a dirty, dirty weasel man who can eat my poo and choke on it.

D3GVdqv.png

I did not want to be burying another Pokémon so soon, or at all really, but I guess HERE WE ARE. I'm gonna miss you, Psychick, your Confusion/Gust combo got me out of a lot of sticky situations and I was real excited to see your evolution, but I guess that's not what fate had in store. Rest well, comrade.

bNRAN12.png
txmVuw2.png
izUlqWT.png

Zed's dead, baby. Bringing Gulp Fiction onto the team, unsure if he'll stick around forever, but I think he could make a damn solid option for tanky support once I get him evolved. That won't be for a while, though. I miss my bird.

DNRAOQj.png

Life can be easy,
It's not always swell.
Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl,
'Cause it hurts like shell.

UcNZRug.png
vkFGyGY.png
jWErVA1.png

Weird, seemed pretty refusable to me...

ASNTcb7.png
7ge9nec.png

I have no clue where the Hidden Power checker is, but Big Quill Jr. needs more moves, so here's hoping it's something good.

oeopaHY.png
tXupGYh.png

Please welcome Professor Yolk! See it's like Oak, but egg. Not adding this one to the team at the moment, but he's definitely going on my "Guys, we need to beat Misty" task force.

PBkMM0M.png
lRMyWPC.png

Please welcome Capuccino! Mincinno is the Brock of Pokémon, which is to say, super boring. Promptly moving on. (Skill Link is cool though)

HUNphsa.png
pdHVryS.png
ooSg0P7.png

exh1bR5.png

DP7XFFL.png
UZ7IrMz.png
n6YfjQH.png

Secret Power is a great TM, actually. Serenity Meow finally gets a normal move worth using Pixelate with (one that uses her superior physical attack stat, no less) and Ferret Bueller gets some better STAB. Much like the musician behind the 1995 hit "Gangsta's Paradise", this is coolio.

QSBFAur.png
6rwm0js.png

That's what you get for emulating Super Mario Brothers 2 you vile, disgusting criminal. You absolute scum. How could you.

ZYqY9vA.png
XjQtsHl.png
uSCxYrM.png
hSl4Hx2.png
ItA7OYC.png

Oh HELL YEAH, this is gonna be a Rotom, isn't it? Aw dude, Rotom is AWESOME, I'm gonna name mine Zapparition or Voltergeist and we're gonna be best buds forever and we-

31ftARo.png

Oh.

3STtnWF.png
zXNmhuN.png

Please welcome Quack Nicholson! Or maybe it should have been Hack Nicholson? Ah, whatever. Still would've preferred Rotom, but I can't complain with Porygon. Putting in a mandatory encounter with the shiny variant of your favorite Pokémon is such a "fangame move" on Z-nogyroP's part but it's one I really can't be mad at, 'cause I'd totally do the same thing if I could.

uL7cnR3.png
WzD2cqm.png

Hold on, why is Bill a Luvisc? Does this mean there's a Luvdisc mind in Bill's body in the other tube? Wait, were was this Luvdisc keeping the ticket? Wait, how did Bill transfer the tickets from his human form to his Luvdisc for-

RgpIpTr.png

Bill said I was, "asking too many questions that I didn't want answers to" and kicked me out.

Jerk.

gtZAcLt.png
72oFl08.png
IoRqS7H.png

A8LsQah.png

PmZfpfC.png

Judging by your "I am in the Pokémon mafia" uniform, no.

FOPGTRP.png
t2JTiYo.png
m08irYO.png

iLirkoI.png
d2Ti4ro.png
c9ORl4E.png

Some great moves all around! Ferret Bueller just got Secret Power and he's already getting an upgrade, while Space Ottidy and Big Quill Jr. get increased type diversity for their movesets. Nice!

IWHynAH.png
1ptgNQK.png
yTgVCSP.png

Alright, after extensive training, my Pokémon are ripped to the max, but I feel like I could do better in terms of forming a seafaring squad of marine murderers and aquatic assassins.

cPtuLqS.png

There we go.

vPn72QH.png
7OrDShl.png
QVgISZS.png

I should probably introduce these newcomers, huh? Beelzebug returns with a fancy-lack-of-pants evolution, packing a devastating Silver Wind that's sure to leave a dent in Misty's Starmie, especially when Masquerain's new bug/water typing means it can resist whatever STAB this gym throws at it.

du666hO.png
uo20Zpi.png
o3urCx7.png

Quack Nicholson is here to act as supplementary electrical damage alongside Calambity. What he lacks in STAB he makes up for in damage output.

DQC06YW.png
d54zazE.png
drYcQp1.png

And finally, Professor Yolk. I know for a fact that Misty has a Barboach, so bringing along a grass type is a must. Not much else left to explain here, so I suppose it's off to the gym!

JEIUUhl.png

1. Try not to die
2. Fail at step 1

LoH8zxE.png

Don't get me wrong, Misty is a HUGE step up from Brock, and maybe it's just me, but doesn't her design feel more like a generic swimmer trainer class than a gym leader? The hairstyle and bracelets help a bit, but she's a tad basic, aesthetically. Doesn't exactly scream "master of the water element", if you catch my drift.

nbczwfv.png
lzIqM7D.png
fCplRcF.png

Quack Nicholson got some good hits in, but Wartortle's bulk and Fresh Water made him pretty tough to take down, so I sent in Calambity to finish the job. Calambity took a not-insignificant amount of damage, but luckily for her, the rest of the battle should be a lot easier.

yUJjQWG.png
bBg7I3Z.png

Misty went for Starmie a lot earlier than anticipated, and while it wasn't able to do a lot of damage each turn, a new water move called Current left Beelzebug paralyzed, making this leg of the journey take longer than it should have. Still, bug/water coupled with spectacular special defense and Silver Wind meant we had the clear advantage.

8ODiiHv.png
q5yUjky.png
lGX8Xso.png
VlGygHS.png

Then my egg used seed gun on the fishy and he got deaded real good. Hooray for egg! Misty defeated!

eyO7kmc.png
nlNP412.png

I mentioned this earlier, but Current is a new move. It's a 65 BP, 100% accuracy water attack with a 20% chance to paralyze. Really damn good, if you ask me.

KMWVMhj.png
n2jAcrj.png
MGa2SJh.png

Gulp Fiction gets a non-poison attacking move at last and Space Ottidy gets STAB that utilizes his superior special attack! Very amused to see that an electric type like Calambity gets access to a move called "current", it actually being a great move is just icing on the Alcremie.

OpyDeSj.png

With another badge in hand, it seems as though another update comes to a close. Once again, our mission was not devoid of tragedy, but it was not without its triumphs, either! As our team grows ever stronger, the quest before them grows ever more daunting. One can only hope that they are up to the task, but that will be a story for another day...

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
guys, we need to beat Misty

also very glad to see that someone else also picked up on the same dumb "current" pun that led me to align Electric types with the Water element. A+ goof.

Uncle Pine

This kills the crab
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 13, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
*Ahem*

Shorts.
If you ask me, the real kicker is you chose to make the shortest joke possible about this.

Normally Lumineon would definitely be considered a step down from Gyarados, but I have no clue as to what Z-nogyrop has done to either line.

Ominous Wind? "Terrornado" was sitting right there you guys. Come on.
Alas, English Game Freak doesn't really do portmanteaux. Although truth be told, I'm not sure whether this is an unfortunate occurrence, because the Italian translation does and most of them sound terrible.

Design-wise, I'd put Misty second place after Marlon in terms of Water gym leaders, with Crasher Wake in third position. "Cool swimmer", while not as amazing as "over the top surfer dude", feels adequately appropriate. More than "wrestler who likes puddles", at least.
Every other one looks more like a clown than a Water gym leader. And yes, I'm saying this after putting Wake in third place.

HOORAY FOR EGG!

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
I know for a fact HMs aren't overridable, so if somebody could tell me if there's a move deleter within a reasonable distance before I commit to using this, that would be great. Also Ben Shapiro is a dirty, dirty weasel man who can eat my poo and choke on it.
I don't know almost nothing about Ben Shapiro. The more you talk about him, the more fortunate I feel.

Also, Gulpin and Quill Smith Jr.! Gulpin is a great Pokemon (Bulbpedia is a sack of lies) and he'll make you proud. As for Quill Smith Jr., what praise can be given that has not ben done a thousand times better?

EDIT: God, my grammar in the first sentence is horrible. To clarify, I learned about Ben Shapiro from this run, looked him up, poked around for a few minutes, then closed the tab, quit the browser, and walked away.

Last edited:

Nebbles

physically unable to shut up about octopath
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!
I was gonna make a joke here, but then I just got depressed thinking about how a Klefki gets better, more accessible healthcare than I do. So that's... a fun realization...

damn, man, way to kill my mood for the evening.

jokes aside, i have nothing more to say than i am so, so happy to see another project from you. you never fail to make me laugh and i can't wait to witness the further downfall of ben shapiro (if such a thing were possible).

alan smithee

Games Van Der Beek
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
guys, we need to beat Misty

also very glad to see that someone else also picked up on the same dumb "current" pun that led me to align Electric types with the Water element. A+ goof.
Of course, I am nothing if not a pun aficionado.

If you ask me, the real kicker is you chose to make the shortest joke possible about this.

Normally Lumineon would definitely be considered a step down from Gyarados, but I have no clue as to what Z-nogyrop has done to either line.

Alas, English Game Freak doesn't really do portmanteaux. Although truth be told, I'm not sure whether this is an unfortunate occurrence, because the Italian translation does and most of them sound terrible.

Design-wise, I'd put Misty second place after Marlon in terms of Water gym leaders, with Crasher Wake in third position. "Cool swimmer", while not as amazing as "over the top surfer dude", feels adequately appropriate. More than "wrestler who likes puddles", at least.
Every other one looks more like a clown than a Water gym leader. And yes, I'm saying this after putting Wake in third place.

HOORAY FOR EGG!
Crasher Wake is a national treasure, how dare you.

I don't know almost nothing about Ben Shapiro. The more you talk about him, the more fortunate I feel.

Also, Gulpin and Quill Smith Jr.! Gulpin is a great Pokemon (Bulbpedia is a sack of lies) and he'll make you proud. As for Quill Smith Jr., what praise can be given that has not ben done a thousand times better?

EDIT: God, my grammar in the first sentence is horrible. To clarify, I learned about Ben Shapiro from this run, looked him up, poked around for a few minutes, then closed the tab, quit the browser, and walked away.
I envy you. How I long for the days before I knew the horrors...

damn, man, way to kill my mood for the evening.

jokes aside, i have nothing more to say than i am so, so happy to see another project from you. you never fail to make me laugh and i can't wait to witness the further downfall of ben shapiro (if such a thing were possible).
We're going to DESTROY him using uhh... those nonobjective thingies and smarty stuff, what were they called? Ah, forget it...

Y6a3Pec.png

Welcome back to TIMWRPFRASBSNN:TRoGVDB, the ONLY nuzlocke in all of existence! In this BOLD new installment of this GROUND-BREAKING series, your TRENDSETTING host catches some new pokeywhatsits, crashes a bougie boat party, fights Bingus Shabongus and beats up a veteran all so that he may be granted the divine luxury of bypassing a tiny little bush.

cvyzNbj.png
Kc8wodc.png

Speaking of pokeywhatsits, please welcome Resident Buizel! While a relatively unremarkable catch for the time being, some of you more attentive readers may recall that I have plans for a Buizel in mind...

XgiFZUD.png

Whoah uh oh looks like somebody replaced this image of a class traitor humble police officer with a photo of an Emboar! It appears that I've gone and made one of my classic Smithee's Slip-ups™ once again, how positively wacky!

cY5KBUL.png

s93EYoK.jpg

BynerAg.png
z7QylB2.png

Why in Snorlax's good name would I ever trade a perfect pupcake for a nasty tongue demon? No thanks!

2jXYwAy.png

Hey, look, the tunnel is all red and blue! See, it's like the name of the games, FireRed and LeafGr- hold on a minute...

oVWXvM2.png
JQTNpd1.png

Please welcome Arfsonist! I do love me a good demon doggie, but I'm afraid running two fire types just isn't my style. My love of satan-worshipping canines is outweighed by my love of the Prodigal Prince of Freshness. Still, an inarguably radical (in both senses of the word, but what part of this series isn't?) catch for what is normally a pretty "meh" route.

LOVhasM.png

Quit having such alluring conversations!

G5IOzPG.png

But you're so good at it!

saIhnFo.png

Sludge is cool as three little Fonzies, but I am beginning to wonder what movesets this hack is going off of, as most of the official releases have Gulpin learn this much earlier. Still that's a pretty good move. I don't know if it's worth 20~ levels, but that's pretty good.

YXnLfO0.png

MRV5VW2.png

scMXWZt.png

Vermillion? That's a type of red! Why would the electric-based town be called Vermillion? Isn't Cinnabar already the red town? Game Freak, I need ANSWERS!

KocCdn7.png

Had it not been for the laws of this land, I would have slaughtered you...

D1OLi8I.png
x7iPBTf.png

That's great but have you considered :madfrog: hippity hoppity abolish private property?

sHkQcMO.png
dO7ioOH.png
3FhyvFg.png

"That's why we allow a giant steamship to indefinitely dock in our harbor and authorize the construction of a new, presumably resource-heavy building that will take some undetermined amount of time to complete!"

6njtZnZ.png
AONV2Bn.png
J5LRib3.png

I had suspected this was the case for a while, but I was too scared to actually check out of fear that doing so would get one of my 'mons killed. Good to know!

qVjR7Ko.png
6NQzj9O.png
49s3DsA.png

Hooray for egg!

1ek3KHw.png
Z2Tczwx.png
j2qqdqv.png

Well, you clearly haven't met Space Ottidy. He's not a prophet or a Stone Age man, just a Dewott with the potential of Superman, but I think you'll find him to be quite the opponent. I mean, just LOOK at that menacing stance!
PIAN3vZ.png
...why did i make this?

gltYhBB.png

Don't expect this to get a lot of use.

1Yb7Sy5.png
aANV1nx.png

This trade is much better than the last, although, if I'm being honest, I'd probably still stick with Togepi if given the chance. Fairy/flying is much better offensively than normal/dragon. Sorry, Dunsparce.

Ybp17sp.png

Nah, I just wear these Pokéballs around my belt 'cause I think they look neat. Same goes for the Pokéball hat. And the shoes. And th-

ZvncQLA.png
ze17Aan.png
06MFssV.png
a0M9lUr.png
42xGoBK.png
LvoLW1D.png

Judging by the description, I was fully expecting a Charmander, but I much prefer this. From what I understand, this trainer will always give you the Kanto starter your original starter (Oshawott, of course) is weak to, while the previous gift trainer will always give you the Johto starter your original starter is strong against. So while I got a Cyndaquil and a Bulbasaur, somebody picking Treecko would get a Totodile and a Charmander, and somebody picking Fennekin would get publicly shunned for their awful, awful taste in pocket monsters. While Bulbasaur is only my second favorite Kanto starter, after gun turtle of course, I think I got the best trio of starters overall.

Od4cOvV.png
ebYf3vK.png
W2egABA.png
Bk9Dmh4.png
FqVEcuG.png
2OjAaOl.png

Please welcome Keanu Leaves to the team! Going to have to replace Gulp Fiction to make room for this friendo frog, apologies to all you Swalot fans. I was secretly hoping that there was a gift Bulbasaur somewhere in this hack, because I know from reading the notes that Venusaur takes on it's Mega Evolution's ability. Anybody who's used Mega Venusaur knows exactly how great a grass type with Thick Fat is, and it's the type of greatness I rarely get to experience outside of Showdown. I rarely play XY, and when I do it's Chespin City 24/7, so this came as a very welcome surprise.

lqQMqIc.png
UAgtPCl.png
GgyArG6.png
zK98Gec.png
NWv4krT.png

Finally got my Bulbapedia all trained up to match the rest of the squad through a combination of wild battles and rematching Youngster Dan and his Sandile entirely too many times. Youngster Dan was also my go-to training spot for most of the "Guys, we need to beat Misty" team as well, so I feel like he's more than earned this little shout-out.

wb0N7sr.png
7y6gufv.png
tEGBjpH.png
lKLtoFi.png
1uWHsib.png
TjpTeFU.png

Ohhh...

Ohhh nooo...

HBQISq5.png
FYtGdKS.png
QaKFvj8.png
5uOiFW9.png
18GtBdd.png
Bz5p3Gq.png
wHu4Rvx.png
i01rPu3.png
4RqISxZ.png
PzXck8q.png
uXveDZK.png
fq42yGl.png

If I had to sit through all of this, so do you. So do you.

K5rx8aH.png

That's right, comrades, we're in the 😎ADVANCED😎version of FireRed, and that means Old Man Dugtrio and his punk grandkids are nowhere to be found! Instead, we got the hip-and-happening Earthen Cave, filled to the brim with ground types begging to be inevitably replaced by a Typhlosion. Hey, at least they'll be good against Surge!

wCGPqFF.png

OR NOT, I SUPPOSE.
I1Q0avE.jpg

wWWdRHR.jpg

eYydwre.png
Cv94x4K.png

I don't know why I feel compelled to include these unused trades, but here's another one. Torkoal is actually fire/steel in this, making this a much better deal than it might seem to be at first glance.

gu8Y7rR.png
ewcGl2Q.png

Please welcome Zapidash! I could not for the life of me think of a Blitzle nickname, and this was the first thing that came up when I googled it. Whoever came up with this originally, my nonexistent hat goes off to you.

43G6fcY.png
sneEUnI.png

[sad bird noises]

Ms0F7ne.png

I feel like Serenity Meow hasn't been getting the spotlight she really deserves during the run thus far, so to amend that, allow me to present a few of the most "cat-like" Seinfeld quotes I could find, edited to feature Serenity Meow's silly little face.
RAKYTFF.jpg
pSG9xIp.jpg
4S9SNy0.jpg
W6q6xWC.jpg

I don't know if the fact that these all happened to come from the twisted mind of George Costanza makes them better or worse, but there you go.

0hdLDI9.png

"My name is Darian. I'm a twenty-four-year-old gamer. I've played every violent video game in existence, and I have never killed anyone. There are millions of gamers just like me, and we're getting sick of people like you blaming your problems on us. Ignorance causes violence, not video games. Man up and take responsibility. We outnumber you, and the people that think like you. Don't frick with us."

FLSQZ4w.png

Most excellent! Hoping we come across that Toxic TM/Tutor sometime soon, 'cause Poison Powder's accuracy just isn't cutting it right now.

QN7HecQ.png

Counterargument:
uHaUrLk.png

WSC5ebe.png
eWKw5Lh.png

I was going to make a joke about how nobody knows why the S.S. Anne is called the S.S. Anne, but in doing so, I ended up learning why the S.S. Anne is called the S.S. Anne, meaning at least one more person than nobody knows why the S.S. Anne is called the S.S. Anne. According to Bulbapedia, "St. Annu (サント・アンヌ) is the name of the computer in Game Freak's Sega Mega Drive title Pulseman." Now, you can use that information to... nope, that's... that's nothing. Alrighty then.

FrNrACz.png
o7tvZ4p.png
nkj4viu.png

Please welcome Star Mitzvah! Another water type for the box.

qicCzgE.png
ANVrkTY.png

Crashing an upper class boat party and beating up the Pokémon of the rich elite isn't as satisfying as crashing an upper class boat party and beating up the rich elite themselves, but damn if it isn't still satisfying!

Akh1cTZ.png
QccINYB.png
Z1GUs3p.png

"Please leave my room, you're getting your poor all over the carpet."

tG1mAYJ.png
9tIYnrD.png
7kNBgEf.png

Everybody already knows about the Rowan and Dawn Easter egg on this boat, but this guy is clearly supposed to be from Kalos, right? He has to be! This guy is so Kalos, I'm still not entirely convinced that he isn't just three baguettes in a trench coat trying to sneak onto a boat.

Rhn3d59.png

Eh, not really a fan.

lknG0qK.png

Funny name for an item that will likely never again see the light of day.

n8GrdcJ.png

And you can't spell "Global Police" without the letters "P", "i" and "G"!

D5gMUOP.png

I wonder how many people check every trash can just because this one turned out to have an item in it.

hsr2AnT.png

...What do they say about sailors and battling???

BZxAlJi.png
UMVwNqR.png
V3fvlSm.png

This Lickitung somehow got Keanu Leaves down to the red, but due to Wrap I was unable to switch out. I didn't want to, but I opted to use my first potion of the run. Going to keep track of how many I use in total, although I have no idea yet what, if anything, will become of doing so.

HOIqNoJ.png

Can Staryu really be considered starfish? I always thought it was supposed to be entirely inorganic, hence why it's 'dex classification is "star shape" and not "starfish". If there are any starfish experts in the audience, please, get a more interesting hobby.

q2Xal5q.png
SXoN55f.png
5ycXuaq.png
BFmOdD9.png

Aw man, this guy is like four baguettes in a trench coat!

drJx85T.png
OAuO1VB.png
RRARd92.png

These are actually some really good berries, especially Lum. What were these things doing in the trash???

vRN53Jd.png
Zx8mods.png

ok
q8yZ83M.gif

YICn9u9.png

251 to be exact, at least as far as Z-nogyroP is concerned.

8BKGeyL.png
rrDpzqf.png
mBvvPNN.png

So uhhh... how the hell does this room work? Every part of this room's architecture baffles me. None of this should be able to exist in a 3D space.

2iJcnVC.png
eyGjLDE.png
LOoP2Qp.png
NrfrKsF.png
lVAs9oV.png

Looking over Ben’s team beforehand, I noticed that he had a few party members that my team would take particular issue with. Wanting to avoid yet another death, I made the executive decision to bring in Arfsonist for this specific battle, temporarily boxing Calambity.

1EORyAB.png
MHXL5Fl.png
1qaetb9.png

Oh boy, is it Ben screams his terrible, ignorant arguments at me and somehow shoehorns in the fact that his wife is a doctor rival battle o'clock already? My faaavorite!

iUbjYiR.png
kQWeWyh.png
6B40CvF.png

In a shocking turn of events, Ben actually switches out one of his Pokémon mid-fight, something that I've only seen an in-game trainer do maybe like... two other times max? In my entire time playing these games? Ben, was that an intelligent tactical decision?

b64mlGx.png
jKlj7mV.png

Guess not. Forgive me, for a moment I forgot that Ben Shapiro is an ignorant, emotional, biased fool who prides himself on being the informed, emotionless, nonpartisan paragon of logic and reason he thinks he is, using his baffling level of popularity to peddle lies that support his own bigoted, backwards beliefs on subjects he either doesn't or refuses to understand beyond whatever his initial assumptions of them might be. Also he's short HA HA.

g7yUNRN.png
KZYTpaB.png
WTwzG3H.png

Decided to switch to Serenity Meow, assuming that her special attacks would be enough to take down a Furret, but that was very quickly proven to not be the case. Luckily, Ferret Bueller was able to secure the W pretty easily with a combination of Yawn and Power-Up Punch. Thinking I should probably get around to using some of those vitamins Ferret Bueller picked up way back when and give them to Serenity Meow.

6hNegfu.png
Bt9LCMA.png
j58hYQi.png
c0B5ZwF.png
ez2NhEn.png
UydFsOs.png

Arfsonist made quick work of Kirlia and Grovyle alike, ending the battle in a decisive victory. Whatever you do, please do not make fun of Ben for being bad and wrong at everything, always, forever, always, always. He's had enough of your liberal thinkshaming!

466FqNP.png
XkKlljz.png
JkM7fKc.png
1XdPNf5.png
img2jOP.png
1bfe6y3.png

Cut is substantially better here, so much so, that I'm actually willing to teach it to one of my main party members, a choice I really hope I don't regret! Went with Big Quill Jr., since most of the use I would have for a steel move is as a fairy counter, and Big Quill Jr. already resists fairy moves due to his fire typing. I could have given it to Keanu Leaves as well, so he could carry both fairy weaknesses, but I wanted to let him keep all his fun status moves, and BQJ's moveset was looking pretty barren anyway.

iqbZnPw.png
hvwpCPo.png
FJrRj3r.png

Later days, you money hoarding goblins, you! You will not be missed!

nx1MnmQ.png
p44DjOI.png
hTqDety.png
2AEaTIO.png
YkYcLWI.png
JI3yLpw.png

While not as good a gift as a TM or a free Tyrogue, Halpert letting you skip the literal and figurative most trash gym puzzle of all time is an absolute blessing, and I wish our pal here only the best in life.

MSqa2NQ.png
7hCpaTU.png
MIHyX1i.png

Alright, we're pretty close to the level of Surge's ace, but seeing as we don't have a single ground type to speak of, we're gonna have to really strategize ahead of time with this one and probably overlevel a bit just to be safe.

I9hLNBr.png
odUKCDb.png

Before grinding, I did some backtracking and picked these up from some of Oak's goons.

p3tFgdA.png

Looks like they've replaced my #1 boy Snorlax with a Kecleon of all things. While replacing Snorlax at all is downright sinful, I'll try not to hold it against the Kecleon itself. I have more to say about this, but I'll discuss that once we have the tools necessary to wake the beast.

uBym9vq.png
oJQWfvL.png

Again, I don't know why I show these trades either, but now that it's a thing I can't not do it or I'd be breaking consistency.

xoAQCx3.png
TiTKeS4.png
8vovxwJ.png

eSrCVmO.png
uaqIrqZ.png
vLM1wcB.png

Time2grind! Level 30 might seem excessive, but that's only because it is.

byc9d06.png
0VW6GIS.png
JFV7Ufy.png
7enijBm.png
dCKqVHt.png
0AYqcF8.png

The main reason I decided to go to 30, of course, was so that I could have an Ampharos in my back pocket for the big Surge fight. She may not even be in the fight at all, but her presence alone will relieve a lot of my anxieties going into that battle. Calambity, like all Ampharoseseses, is a powerhouse able to deal insane amounts of damage as well as she can take it. Bulky electric types are a rarity, and I am overjoyed that I have one to call my own. Advanced Ampharos actually learns every elemental punch upon level up, but I opted to only learn Fire Punch. Fantastic, all across the board!

r0SAQz7.png

While this is an amazing team for long-term use, in the short term, I think I should once again build a temporary strike force for the specific task of eliminating this next gym leader. Luckily, I have a few members in mind.

kTACYGZ.png
1zT8LsH.png
CVTkytj.png

As alluded to waaay back in the beginning of this update, I went back to Cerulean City to trade with that old man who wanted a Buizel to get my hands on a Chinchou. The game calls him Beacon, but we're gonna call him Angler Management. Yeah, that works.

cm1VR5s.png
tqBx9IN.png

After weighing all my options, I've narrowed our Surge Squad down to these 6 Pokémon. 2 from the primary team, 4 from the box. This is going to be another fight where we have to sub in some temporary members to keep the main ones away from potentially life-ending danger, but hopefully we won't have to resort to that tactic for much longer.

1OSQswy.png

A surprisingly brief grinding session later (thank god for rematches and the lucky egg) and our team is ready for battle! Let's do a quick overview, shall we?

fufKRmm.png
QL2cqUS.png
SgBVDPU.png

Due to the Leaf Stone Keanu Leaves came with, I was able to evolve the good professor into... this! An electric type resistance and a gargantuan special defense stat made Prof. Yolk an obvious draft pick from the get-go, even if he will be susceptible to a few of Surge's attacks.

Zpv5DuQ.png
8rgGOPn.png
gV0EYyZ.png

Water Absorb would have been preferable in the long run, but Volt Absorb is a fantastic ability to have in the right-now. Angler Management resists or can reasonably tank much of what Surge has to throw at it, and that ability will make emergency switch-ins a thing of beauty. This is my ace in the hole, right here.

0zkSMKV.png
kD3GPiN.png
wAEM4FQ.png

I felt bad that Gulp Fiction was almost immediately swapped for Keanu Leaves, but I do think that he'll be able to give one hell of a "last hurrah" in the impending battle. What he lacks in type resistance or effectiveness he makes up for in being able to outlast most things. I'm going to be playing very defensively here, making this big blobby boy a must.

nSQGPT5.png
YG0uEcS.png
Pltm2p5.png

And finally, rounding off the box 'mons is Arfsonist, who you all should already be familiar with. Not a lot of reasioning to this inclusion outside of the usual "special bulk, good resistances" kind of thing I've been saying this whole time. The last two slots are being filled by Calambity, our emergency back-up and Keanu Leaves, our absolute last resort. I'm feeling pretty good about this team, so I guess it's about time we made our way to Surge.

bqbPdSz.png
bzfwC59.png
OFMu2PX.png

(Also I had to teach Prof. Yolk Cut because I am a dunce and a half and forgot about the George W. blocking the entrance)

apQ2dSV.png

Well, this screenshot's gonna come in handy, isn't it?

x1l98rJ.png
kApLEfx.png
zpuAe0r.png

Electric types are pretty damn cool, but don’t let that distract you from the fact that Lt. Surge is a known war criminal who slaughtered millions on behalf of the US military as a result of capitalist imperialism.

taozu1Y.png
FDeliLn.png

Off to a strong start, as Gulp Fiction lays his vengeance upon thee, thee being Surge's Flaafy of course. Static made things pretty annoying, but it was relatively smooth experience otherwise.

MN8tQFe.png
jh4lliv.png

Surge busts out the big guns already, but fortunately Angler Management is the perfect Zebstrika counter. With a moveset containing Flash, Pursuit, Secret Power and Flame Charge, there's very little he can do to hurt me, and near the end he actually healed me by using an electric move. How the regional expert of electric types doesn't understand the intricacies of Volt Absorb is beyond me, but we take those.

ClrOQGo.png
JruWeGa.png
6WaA8Um.png
d5rc3Q0.png
cG2VGVO.png
44BWPtj.png

Arfsonist dispatched the Magnemite with ease, leaving only Chinchou left. I sent in Prof. Yolk into an incoming Current, firing back with his own Magical Leaf. Chinchou's Signal Beam got to him first, however, and even though it was a 4x super effective move, Prof. Yolk was able to shrug it off like it was nothing. And with that, we have successfully obtained our Thunder Badge!

fjmTqWv.png
OlafjQe.png
oStUULT.png

I have no real use for this one at the moment, so back into the bag it goes.

rSHk0Yj.png

Finally, a whole update with zero casualties! Our heroes close this chapter of the journey on a more uplifting note, heading off into the unknown in much higher spirits than they had been previously, although never forgetting that danger may very well lurk around any corner...

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
To copy another joke, me and the other three card-carrying members of the Swalot fan club are very disappointed in the switch! Why did you name that monster Keanu Leaves?Now I cannot sacrifice virgins to the nuzlocke gods to secure his death say mean things to him because Keanu Reeves is an excellent man! Curse your knowledgable foresight!

WHUP BEN SHAPIRO WHUP BEN SHAPIRO

The gym update soothes my soul. I believe in the squishy purple man.

As for Lt. Surge's war crimes, they aren't proven because there are no documents! The fact Oliver North was in charge of those files means nothing.

For the current team, I'm wishing for more updated like this, except for Keanu Leaves, who I grudgingly wish an absence of pain.

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This writer spends many hours toiling over her endless pile of fics while being surrounded by snacks. If you approach her, she'll share them with you!

alan smithee

Games Van Der Beek
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
So... bad news and good news.

Bad news: the laptop that I use to make this series suddenly and unexpectedly experienced some... severe technical difficulties. Some sort of OS failure, likely as a result of it being a seven-year-old computer. To make a long story short, the only way to save it was to erase all files and restore it to factory settings. This means that all of my ROMs and accompanying save files are now lost, including my copy of Firered Advanced. I don't know how, but Ben Shapiro is probably to blame. I'm very sorry about this, but there was simply nothing that I could do.

Good news: I have a plan. To facilitate this run’s continuation, I will be taking an indefinite hiatus where I will redownload and replay FireRed Advanced, attempting to mimic and reconstruct the original gameplay of my original playthrough as closely as I can using what information I have. This will result in me re-obtaining the same box and party Pokémon, with the same genders, nicknames and abilities wherever possible, although some natures, EVs and IVs will inevitably have to change. It is far from a perfect solution, but I think we can all agree that this is a better alternative to cancelling this series entirely.

I hope you will all have patience and understanding during my absence, and be forgiving of the (hopefully minor) gameplay changes that will have occurred when I return.

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
dammit, ben shapiro.

alas, i hope the recovery process goes well. i had something pretty similar happen to me in the past, and it's the damn pits.

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
Ben Shapiro's brain is so big it has it's own magnetic field.

The ego is in the brain, right?

Electro

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fighting
I have failed the revolution.

In English class, we were given the assignment of somehow making a Liberal Arts college whose enrollment has fallen by 15% over the last five year still function, despite the fact that there was a serious recommendation for the college to do away with over a dozen programs. Knowing what I know about how this has gone down before, I decided to avoid cutting programs like the plague, and instead bundled several programs together and launched a hiring freeze. The teacher pointed out that this didn't cut costs, so I had to get creative. Anthropology lost a few faculty, some extraneous faculty were cut from my new supermajors, and I decided to fire several of the low-level staff and replace them with underpaid college students, without informing the students they were underpaid. It gets worse, as I began wondering if I could slash the students' pay even more.

When you start trying to think of ways to get around minimum wage laws, it's time to stop.

alan smithee

Games Van Der Beek
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
To copy another joke, me and the other three card-carrying members of the Swalot fan club are very disappointed in the switch! Why did you name that monster Keanu Leaves?Now I cannot sacrifice virgins to the nuzlocke gods to secure his death say mean things to him because Keanu Reeves is an excellent man! Curse your knowledgable foresight!

WHUP BEN SHAPIRO WHUP BEN SHAPIRO

The gym update soothes my soul. I believe in the squishy purple man.

As for Lt. Surge's war crimes, they aren't proven because there are no documents! The fact Oliver North was in charge of those files means nothing.

For the current team, I'm wishing for more updated like this, except for Keanu Leaves, who I grudgingly wish an absence of pain.
7rXuH6x.jpg

it's pure art, that's why.

listen, buddy, i've sat through enough of this man and his weird ass pokemon fetishes, i don't need a second course of it. we don't deserve to suffer too.
Bold of you to assume the suffering ever truly ends...

dammit, ben shapiro.

alas, i hope the recovery process goes well. i had something pretty similar happen to me in the past, and it's the damn pits.
Ben Shapiro is my anti-muse.

Ben Shapiro's brain is so big it has it's own magnetic field.

The ego is in the brain, right?
What do I look like, some kinda nerd?

I have failed the revolution.

In English class, we were given the assignment of somehow making a Liberal Arts college whose enrollment has fallen by 15% over the last five year still function, despite the fact that there was a serious recommendation for the college to do away with over a dozen programs. Knowing what I know about how this has gone down before, I decided to avoid cutting programs like the plague, and instead bundled several programs together and launched a hiring freeze. The teacher pointed out that this didn't cut costs, so I had to get creative. Anthropology lost a few faculty, some extraneous faculty were cut from my new supermajors, and I decided to fire several of the low-level staff and replace them with underpaid college students, without informing the students they were underpaid. It gets worse, as I began wondering if I could slash the students' pay even more.

When you start trying to think of ways to get around minimum wage laws, it's time to stop.
That's gonna be an omega yikes from me, dog.

hlpOMLp.png

Welcome back (at long last) to TIMWRPFRASBSNN:TRoGVDB! Today's episode is brought to you by: the sunk cost fallacy!

It took a while, but I finally managed to "recreate" my save file as best I can to what it was before The Rebootening. I mimicked the previous choices, captures, and battle events/outcomes as closely as possible, but obviously in a game with as much RNG as Pokémon, sacrifices had to be made. Most notably, natures, IVs, EVs, some berries and some items received by Pickup in the early game were unfortunately yet unavoidably altered. I wish I could have made an exact replica of what things once were, but I was sadly unable to do so. For the sake of full transparency, as well as to refresh your memory, I'm gonna do a full breakdown of the current team, so... here's that!

As a side note: You're probably going to notice that the screenshots this update are less crisp than they usually are, and contain black bars on both sides. This is because The Rebootening also deleted my emulator, meaning that when I redownloaded it, my screenshot settings were reset. Whoever decided that OpenEmu SHOULDN'T have screenshots be taken in native resolution by default and that screenshot settings should also be hidden behind a secret menu you need to use the actual Konami code to unlock, you are a thief of joy and I wish you only pain. For the sake of my sanity and for the sake of finally getting this nonsense out there, I'm not going to painstakingly correct each individual screenshot. We're just going to power through the images being a little bit blurry for this one, it should be back to normal next time.

23VKspQ.png
tbFGYt5.png
acjnx8r.png

Space Ottidy may have lost the technically superior Relaxed nature, but he traded it in for the thematically superior Quirky. Rest assured, he's still the same David Bowie ninja otter we all know and love!

Kl3KdHh.png
1hzeMqk.png
OkcHreR.png

Unable to escape the curse of a speed decreasing nature, Ferret Bueller became more Brave than Sassy over the break. Both increase a stat he needed help with or was already good at and describe his film counterpart well, so I'm satisfied with this change.

q4xL05a.png
0Fl1Odp.png
auoXneA.png

Serenity Meow got the biggest nature upgrade, ditching the awful Modest for the much appreciated Lax. I declare this the SUMMER OF SERENITY!

sDJDlFc.png
KIgVb6r.png
wXbtA8t.png

Calambity, on the other hand, benefits a lot more from Modest, becoming an unstoppable cosmic force of destruction hitherto undreamt of. Hooray!

85kN1wB.png
XEnkMJK.png
PJarGYE.png

Big Quill Jr. is Lonely now, which my friend Beetle theorized is because "he can't find anybody as big as big quill :(" I like the attack boost, but I'm not thrilled about the defense drop. This time around, I actually went to the trouble of figuring out what Big Quill Jr.'s Hidden Power is, and it was GROUND of all things, giving me reason to finally ditch Mud Shot.

gXut5kp.png
Tgp7CWa.png
Kz1vHgT.png

Keanu Leaves switched over to Lax as well, which isn't the worst nature, but it's far from the best. Not much more to add, so we might as well get this thing started for real!

AaYsEnC.png
Sx7KaRG.png

lMmhduk.jpg

3VfuH8V.png
PrjVtdn.png
kq2kJQD.png

Psycho Cutter! Qu'est-ce que c'est!

OwvasUU.png

3JGgJB7.png

l1DhO1p.png

But... all Pokémon come from eggs...

CWoHiwk.png

When your save file gets deleted because a seven year old laptop suddenly gets an OS failure no I'm not bitter why do you ask 🙃

D1RMNgr.png
yuNHICo.png

Please welcome Hivewire! Volbeat is electric/bug this time, which is where the name comes from. Still hoping we get an official Pokémon with that name eventually, imagine a lightning bee made out of a beehive! How cool would that be?

8MbAUNp.png
DGrc5aa.png

Please welcome Spede Demon! My army of satanic insects only grows stronger...

iYu4Mcz.png

dlVgiws.png

CLUj3Rg.png

If you sold it that means it had a use, rendering it no longer useless. Your arrogance has become your downfall, you absolute buffoon.

uFI2R4j.png
GEZMO3v.png

Dang, it looks like a Zack Snyder movie in here. I could teach somebody Flash, but I'd rather keep my movesets as is and consult a map to navigate my way through this use my Epic Gamer Skills to navigate my way through this.

wRNAWSi.png
O3ZylWW.png

Please welcome Letterboxd! Unown has access to all TMs in this hack, but seeing as I don't really need a pure psychic type at the moment this thing'll remain in the box for now. As a side note, I implore you all to please take the time to read through Unown's many Smogon entries. That stuff is comedy gold. Here's a little sample:
1V4AaaR.png

WaiOs7B.png
wnQTvZa.png
Npu3ju1.png

4NJ1r4G.png

wLSOBwl.png

Hey, same!

Vl949up.png

I was joking before, but I'm starting to think Rock Tunnel might actually be a Zack Snyder movie...

jnTZTO8.png

Yeah, I COSPLAY
C
apitalist
Oppression
Sucks
Pee-yew
Let's revolt
Aw
Yeah

ssxNebu.png

Is that a threat?

lZOzxCf.png

FINALLY. The Ivysaur line is just bulky enough for the Toxic+Venoshock combo to be viable, and it's going to make quick work of anything that stands in our beautiful bulb boy's way!

H40HE1R.png
LkVuqJ2.png

Unsurprisingly, this is one of my favorite NPCs in Kanto. What can I say, I respect a man with as stupid a sense of humor as mine. Game recognize game.

ocjlKrw.png
6NEGjrp.png

This Boldore almost got a 5-hit-KO with Rock Blast, which made my heart STOP, making Space Ottidy learning Revenge of all things as soon as the battle ended all the more appropriate.

srjpcz8.png

Winning won't bring Claus back.

ry0fT7h.png

Check the wiki?

68POflV.png

My sources say that there's a Rock Slide move tutor behind these boulders, but alas, I have no way of moving them. If only I had a Pokémon with some kind of weapon or shell device that was super effective when it comes to cutting through rocks. Oh well.

QTsz1Rz.png

:doyouevenlift:BUFF BOYS:doyouevenlift:

umJHehI.png

No comedy allowed? Yep, DEFINITELY a Snyder movie.

WWSoBWz.png

Ha ha ha!

niqouOA.png

...Well now I feel foolish...

KrP1IjE.png

I was going to make fun of the music in Lavender Town, but then I remembered that I'm the one guy who still unironically likes Wonderwall, which is probably the worst thing about me. My friends and family have actually repeatedly told me to stop playing Wonderwall all the time.

i said maybe

T5rVA1v.png

The in-town grass patches are back! I was hoping they would make a return, they were definitely missed back in Vermillion.

fSyMUIx.png
vQT8kYd.png

Please welcome Dead Zeppelin! This is easily my best nickname, it isn't going to get any better than this. We've reached the peak, but when the peak is this quality, it is hard to complain.

k2VamUC.png

I can't tell if he's describing a criminal or the standard capitalist. This could legitimately be either the system failing or functioning exactly as planned.

uGEI1Jq.png
pB1fYKu.png

jokes on her maybe try not dying next time looser lol 😎

s3Tb4fZ.png
Jnx6khx.png

"Over there is my lamp, over there is my rock collection and over there is my actual real-life Pokémon skull that I stole from a grieving child. A real conversation piece, that one."

yLb0Q30.png
Te4XMVl.png

Is Team Rocket the only evil team with an actual body count?

4RfnT4s.png

I never understood this NPC. Ghost is one of the 18 types, how could anybody deny their existence? Especially in this hack, where there's Drifloon just chillin' outside the Pokémon Center. You'd have to have some Ben Shapiro levels of denial to say you don't believe in ghosts after seeing evidence as irrefutable as that.

Z6dH74X.png

"Yeah, we used to call it the Spooky Murder Death Town, but tourism wasn't doing so hot so we went for a bit of a rebrand..."

RQ10BXM.png
m49uTFx.png

Well, we all knew this was coming. This typo has been haunting us from day one, and it's about time we corrected things...

CaGe9ds.png

With Calambity, of course. The lack of punctuation just doesn't capture the level of excitement that this Pokémon warrants, you know?

b9P0ntO.png

Alright, alright, no need to scream at me, man!

FqINImr.png

Shhh, you can't say that anymore! It's the Noble Purple Town now!

edZ8UOX.png
F4ZZwdZ.png

61GW5GB.png

qaDiL76.png

Eat my entire shorts, you colossal turd.

BLoZhyk.png
CzjFWrh.png
alXYrWp.png
O7HEB93.png
kBm7nkO.png
KyiuqzY.png

Ben leads with the easily-dispatched Whirlipede, switching into his next Pokémon, Salivamander Lickitung. Because Ben is actually the worst, he switches out just as Ferret Bueller gets his 'mon in the red, going for his new Gallade instead, which Serenity Meow promptly defeats.

i8LZzNW.png
gMKOEUv.png

Obviously somebody as devoted to the empty facade of logic and reasoning as Ben is would pick up a robot Pokémon, but alas, he is simply no match for the primal, ancient fury of the goddess of devastation, Calambity!

AIaVSIh.png
RlT8CrH.png

Grovyle happens to be unfortunate enough to become the first test subject for the Toxic+Venoshock combo and OH BOY is it a potent one. Definitely keeping this tactic in mind because once the poison was up, Venoshock absolutely obliterated the competition.

eIFOLbY.png
2o8vMND.png
qgOrVgn.png

And with Licktiung finally vanquished, we can (at last!) leave this spooky ghost tower! Huzzah!

h5twSyD.png

VRpMxUc.png

uS8t9Lt.png
oFPkDn4.png

OqNHsFc.jpg

rxOd7Bs.png

Is anybody else feeling... weirdly hungry right now???

QC3uBTs.png
TIX9rqt.png

Please welcome Ivan Draco! Nickname works better for a Kommo-o, but you work with what you have.

xpeV0sM.png

Don't kid yourself, this game is just "rock, paper, scissors" with extra steps.

xHtf0vc.png

Wait, if you can learn Amnesia, does that mean you can forget Amnesia?

...H-how???

PnJ3QXy.png

7XfYnhy.png

kZgJoQ1.png

Interesting strategy, wonder how it holds up?

1Utjy1J.png
y4ET5bS.png
22EH0Gv.png
CbzIhfO.png
tc1WBAd.png
XMzeSJi.png

Not well!

ZquaAgN.png

bQn5EUW.gif

OMN4n3e.png

I mean... you do now.

UZYaDZe.png
6hfCWro.png

NICE, a half-way decent physical fire attack! And one with such an unnecessarily intense name, no less!

ISIQSNK.png
iK1O61R.png
LGQ4OMu.png

Ah aha, that's hot!

TQqu7DD.png
xN2OCnQ.png
DT7ECfC.png

Finally, my king of kings, my fresh prince of fresh princes has risen once again! The new-and-improved fire/GROUND Big Quill Jr. shall guide us through this bold new Quillenium with unmatched bravado!

hmimskN.png
eq8DJLW.png

Not ones to be left out of the proverbial party, it seems the remainder of the starter squad would like a piece of that evolutionary excitement!

Xnfp9cY.png
QcneIIP.png

My Keanusaur became a Veanusaur!

YhCnfzl.png
Gg7n4Ug.png
ULMg8RQ.png

My otter son! He's ch-ch-ch-changing!

Mh44s6k.png
PGPvaws.png
HQG01Vg.png

Oh man. Look at this absolute unit. Thick Fat Venusaur is, factually, the best Pokémon because there is, scientifically speaking, nothing more satisfying than having your grass/poison type shrug off Ice Beams and Flamethrowers like it is, in fact, no big deal. Perfect plant pal.

0zoktrz.png
xP4jzzm.png
Muwcznv.png

MY BOY. MY BOOOOY. AT LAST WE HAVE REACHED PEAK POKEMON: THE WATER/FIGHTING, SACRED SWORD WIELDING, SHELL ARMOR WEARING BEAST THE PROPHECIES HAD LONG AGO FORETOLD. MY GOLDEN CHAMPION, MY OTTER SON, MY GLORIOUS DAVID BOWIE SAMURAI OTTER IS FINALLY HERE AND I COULD NOT BE MORE PROUD.

YgJK9nN.png

cHfAs8i.png

DVfeaZD.png

Those two things have nothing to do with each other.

That's like asking, "You seem like a dog person, but what are your thoughts on the Vietnam War?"

Get bent, dweeb.

OmEQGH4.png
TKRXLSH.png
Nmc82eU.png

Please welcome Hippopotato! Not really a fan of Sand Stream for in-game use, I find that weather effects usually backfire on teams not build specifically around them, so the most notable feature of this catch is likely going to be the held item she was carrying, which I immediately transferred to Big Quill Jr.

wanVVwU.png

Finally, we reach Celadon! Celadon is that once-a-region big, sprawling metropolis with lots to do, see, buy, battle, etc. that every Pokémon game has. It's the Goldenrod, the Castelia, the Lumiose, you get the picture. Essentially, it's the town where there's actually stuff to do.

QdWO8qn.png

I should probably pick up the tea while I'm here so I can get whatever's being kept in Saffron. Hooray for foresight!

jKht0bh.png
hnjEM8h.png

Q90lv4i.png

7afK8bg.png

yes hello celadon fire department it's me again it appears that I have been absolutely scorched

0JiTBYG.png

About that...
36ZYN6v.jpg

phuHmGM.png
QIr6cN7.png
JMh6kp7.png

Return is one of my favorite moves, not just because it's usually one of the better normal moves a Pokémon could ask for, but because you're attacking your enemies with WEAPONIZED FRIENDSHIP. What could be better than that?

wDtQuqo.png
lxmsC8O.png

The Koffing line is poison/fire, huh? And it still has Levitate? That won't be annoying...

sBtbR27.png
M6d7yAC.png

Imagine being hired to work at a Department Store where your only job is to point customers in the direction of a sign. That's it, you don't check out items or anything, you just stand at the front desk and point to the sign.

S63il5I.png
zvsKciK.png
l7p5kYg.png

This might seem like a weird choice for Calambity!, but seeing as I don't have any items to strengthen her other moves, might as well give the (admittedly rarely-used) Current a boost, at least for now.

GF2EKAK.png

HAUNTER? I BARELY KNOW HER!
Lejddeo.jpg

v583iAt.png

Really??? Who could have POSSIBLY come to such a WILD and OUT THERE conclusion???

ObxCYu7.png

In this hack, the specific type of sustenance that this precocious youth so desires has been... altered. I shall return to this rooftop when I have successfully seized the means of consumption, but for now, I shall take my leave!

0wfyi8A.png

You can do the talking or let your roaring fists do it for you, BUT YOU CAN'T DO BOTH!

eQTbl7r.png

Why is this being treated like some sort of secret? There's nothing suspicious about having a basement. Lots of people have basements. I have a basement. I mean, where else am I going to commit my various crimes?

CUHVoLB.png

I mean, if you insist...
Lejddeo.jpg

TSihQeB.png
MGyf29V.png
aoyHSWy.png

A lot of people say that it's strange that the Celadon Game Corner allows a minor to gamble, but they forget that this is Pokémon, where ten year olds can legally live on their own, dog fight, drive, get married and go to war. Gambling is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Z7kttKl.png
kEo2eIA.png
sFAuAgT.png
tXmFtYT.png
984Y5I3.png
vchcIPb.png

Taking a break from the gym life, our buddy Halpert tells us how to finally satiate the roof child and get our grubby little hands on those sweet sweet TMs! Nice!

3OmJcLX.png

Imagine being hired to work at a casino where your only job is to point customers in the direction of the prize room. That's it, you don't check out items or anything, you just stand at the front desk and point to the prize room.

rXPNK3i.png
TQi4Y7h.png
91G7sQ1.png

yhPOrCr.png
VqbbeA2.png
0LyFd0e.png

Picked up the berries that Halpert recommended, as well as some spare hold items. Nothing too eventful here.

HO714hT.png

Going to pass on these offers for now, just in case I need one of these Pokémon later on.

QQ3889w.png
PuIxsCA.png
kMSYq6E.png
rlXuALt.png
NgE2pfn.png
Ya8yauH.png

Apparently the roof child was packing WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION! Not that I'm complaining, of course.

d7RGSx1.png
pT7aCE2.png

I gave Ice Beam to Space Ottidy and Serenity Meow, the former of which is ironic since turd goblin Vanilla Ice infamously plagiarized Space Ottidy's namesake and the latter of which is ironic as Seinfeld (the show, not the Jerry) ruined iced water for me. For context, in the Seinfeld episode "The Jacket", George casually mentions how putting ice in your water guarantees a smaller water-to-glass ratio and I have been broken ever since.

O7fm0zy.png
jOLQFFA.png

I don't have any funny observations or witty remarks about these TMs though, sorry.

es3fd3Y.png

I... used the... door?

QpeoKG0.png
VYX7WI7.png
LAaMbmv.png

Your experiences are not universal!

dTp2RHn.png
s46hLrM.png
onzoDOl.png
MOYu5rD.png
D5y9bGq.png

yfTXxRj.png

ZbpiZmi.png
h96hYKn.png
umgInwp.png

Any comrade of Typhlosion is a comrade of mine... you shall be avenged!

Lp7u527.png
9ewlx6V.png
gwhoc1V.png

Looks like we're gonna be overleveled for this gym too, although not intentionally so this time. Oops!

c0rAnP3.png
utBXSDA.png
LvWozhX.png

Moving around some items before the battle starts...

lVi7vYL.png

It's Kanto, it's always daytime with clear skies. Weather wouldn't be invented until Hoenn.

pHBg85d.png

I don't, I only systematically worked my way through your legion of bodyguards that you placed for the specific purpose of gatekeeping potential challengers for the fun of it.

qHWnyPi.png

Erika is a decent gym leader, she's more interesting than Brock and far better than Lieutenant Bootlicker, but I do wish her design was more evocative of her chosen type. Erika has a similar problem to Misty, she looks more like one of the Kimono Girls (new headcanon?) than she does an elite grass type specialist. I do really like that we have a gym leader who says she prefers "pretty Pokémon" while using Gloom and Vileplume, two traditionally "ugly" and "gross" Pokémon that she evidently finds beauty in. That's really a really charming detail, if you ask me!

AO8xBk5.png
p5vS0Bw.png

Starting off with Serenity Meow, as she has physical defenses that Big Quill Jr. does not, making her surprisingly the less risky option for a Grovyle in comparison to my resident fire type.

QOeDJa9.png
zJiFptE.png

Gourgeist's Flash Fire and physical moves also negates any chances of using a Typhlosion, leafing me (that pun was legitimately just a typo but you know what I'm gonna leave it in) to resort to my standard ghost counter of Ferret Bueller. A few Shadow Claws (and potions on Erika's part) later, and it's a wrap on Gourgeist.

G5VqNni.png
IQv2bZN.png
XVxGHB9.png

I tried sending in Big Quill Jr. to take down Breloom, but one Force Palm (if it's from a Breloom, is it a fruit punch?) later and that was shown to be a very bad idea. Looks like the main man is getting benched for this one. I missed the "Breloom fainted" screenshot, but let it be known that I resorted to Keanu Leaves's's's's Toxic+Venoshock strategy to dispose of the terrible toadstool.

XVxGHB9.png
VCGzHf8.png
26Qud8P.png

Aaaand with a couple of Aurora Beams, Calambity! manages to take down Leafeon, securing our victory!

RV0DdIi.png
qNOeyFv.png

Much like trying to rock a rhyme that's right on time, this fight was tricky, but nothing our trusted comrades can't handle!

AkHSxPm.png
sCwDglp.png
guIc8i0.png

Ehhhh nothing I really need at the moment...

iwTfbuc.png

Big Quill Jr.'s ridiculously low physical defense was a big detriment in that last fight, so I went ahead and used whatever money I could gather to purchase as many Irons as possible to remedy that issue. Not a perfect solution, but a solution nonetheless.

1oYjGE9.png
i3EhNba.png
oqiMBNx.png

Normally I'd end things right at the point we get the badge, but seeing as this update has been HEAVILY DELAYED, I think you guys deserve a bit of extra content, so we're gonna be takin' on DA BIG MAN himself, Giovanni!

k6jlKKa.png

L7X2GDc.jpg

m3h7Mzt.png

I mean, I saw Erika's Gourgeist and my own Drifloon just fine without it, but go off I guess...

y5SG8l2.png

F5yfcsE.png

HcqwhZC.png

Ooo! I have nobody I want to teach this to right now, but this'll be great to have on stand-by!

0fZQood.png
Bmo3E8a.png

BYmiuIK.gif

WhHMN6w.png
nWqADvt.png

I like Brick Break a lot, but I've always thought the name was a bit odd. Shouldn't it be Barrier Break, since it can shatter Light Screens and Reflects? Odd.

3mz1dDc.png

Signal Beam will be SUPER helpful, as my team has historically been a tad lacking in terms of psychic counters. Most of my experience using Ampharos has been in the second generation, so it's great to see my beloved sheep baby get access to some non-STAB moves that aren't the elemental punches!

C6c2n98.png

Yes!

EUHG8Is.png
difyAwU.png
VD27av4.png

I'm not gonna call this guy a liar, but I am certainly not going to call him a truther...

LmExDGP.png
9p5nDxJ.png

Hopefully I never need to use this, but having a counter for grass and fairy types could be useful in an absolutely desperate emergency situation.

wA2tdjD.png

Sir, this is the Pokémon universe, what is this "mouse" you speak of?

XA4iJBR.png

Clearly using a water type but okay I guess...

297UnhT.png
e6TqTQm.png
eOVsNmy.png

Giovanni is such an intimidating antagonist. The suit, the hair, the smirk, everything about this man's look just screams BIG BOSS. What a villain!
oQi0HuC.png

k537ja0.png
S7sEn6n.png

Hypno is psychic/dark this time around, but even the addition of the pretty-much-always-rad dark type can't protect Giovanni from the furious flares of the Fresh Prince!

NWDcwqM.png
ZEPKkaV.png
cmisZy7.png
plHqRfZ.png

Much like the real Keanu, this Venusaur has stolen my heart. Positively breathtaking!

ksqHwzg.png
3bKRT8B.png

Space Ottidy is no slouch either, however, and manages to break through Crustle's neigh-impenetrable defense with ease!

qEE1q3e.png
pBd3Hlz.png
sathTT1.png
0VdpqUA.png
1gAhaSg.png
CW3Z7GY.png

Calambity! makes quick work of Skarmory, but struggled a bit more when it comes to Swalot. I could have probably stuck to Calambity! for the remainder of the match, but just to be safe, I let Keanu Leaves finish the job. And with that, Giovanni is donezo!

wub7vVC.png
5ZNYGzv.png

It just says 'capitalism works'...

nYmYu6K.png

Following their triumphant return, our heroes conclude this portion of their adventures ith a fresh new badge and the Silph Scope at last in their possession! The recent defeat of Ben, Erika and Giovanni paint an optimistic picture for their future, but as The Rebootening made all too clear, it is always wise to expect the unexpected...

i6jkKLn.png

That is an... unfortunate place to put an elipses...

Nebbles

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 3, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
I was going to make fun of the music in Lavender Town, but then I remembered that I'm the one guy who still unironically likes Wonderwall, which is probably the worst thing about me. My friends and family have actually repeatedly told me to stop playing Wonderwall all the time.

it's not my fault your friends and family don't have good taste in music.

Users who are viewing this thread