• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

What rulesets should I use for my accompanying SSWL run?

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke combination

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Naturelocke only (Maybe with monotype rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Doc-locke only (maybe with lorelocke rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Naturelocke/Doc-locke/Lorelocke monstrosity

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
The dramatic retelling of my Let's Go Pikachu playthrough with Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets.
OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
@bhelryss -It's always interesting to see everyone's guesses about Cat! I will address your Jessie guess though: Aside from Steel, none of the original characters in this story are direct replacements of in-game characters. But Cat's character is like 90% an old ariginal character of minw who is very slightly inspired by Jessie. So you're a little right! But more about Cat will be revealed in the future. And yeah the name thing was a cheap dig on Cat's part. And yeah, thank goodness Comet has such good people in his corner, even if he doesn't always realize it.

@RisingMew - I'm glad you're liking the Cat reveals! I'm excited for the future scenes I have planned for her. And Comet is slowly opening up! Like a high security safe, but we're getting there!

@RubyClaw - Yeah, it might have been a really near thing for Comet to have joined Team Rocket if he didn't have such good people on his side. And yeah I was going for the "villain sort of has a point" trope with Cat. I'm glad that's how it came across!

@SayleeK - Hah! That's a good way to sum up Cat, though I didn't realize it as I was writing her. I'm glad you liked the conversation with Moon- I feel like we all needed some positivity after that!

@ACottontail - Yep, blinded by the heart eyes. And yeah, Cat's justification of Team Rocket is about as thin as Team Plasma 'liberating' pokemon by beating the shit out of them ahah That's a good point about Magikarp, and a great way to highlight the difference between Comet and Cat! And oh yeah Cat would absolutely be that kind of person and she would also be the kind of person to pay for special armor and weapons right from the beginning so she would have never had to be said noob.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - Comet didn't get the red flag memo on the fixer mentality. Comet has very low standards and attachment issues. Therapy is desperately needed.

@Leon Yorunaki - At least Moon's reality checks are delivered with kindess! It has been a while since we've seen Cat but I get the feeling she will become more and more memorable as the story continues. Moon is great- she's probably the healthiest person in this whole run lol. Comet is literally incapable of making the right decision ever and this actually becomes a bit of a plot point in an upcoming chapter so stay tuned~

Chapter 22

Upon return to the clinic, there were only two things on Comet’s mind: get to the Vermillion City gym before they closed, and get out of this monkey suit before his skin cells started a mutiny.

Getting to work immediately on his second goal, Comet set his backpack on the examination table and yanked off the black suit jacket, throwing it on the ground.

“Really, Comet?” said Moon with a groan. “You’re gonna get dirt all over it.”

“Well, if I have it my way, I’m never going to wear it again anyway,” Comet mumbled, practically busting the buttons on his undershirt in his effort to remove the offending article of clothing.

“At least wait until I’m out of the room!” Moon cried. She retreated to the isolation unit, where she had kept her things while staying the night.

As soon as Moon was out of sight, Comet called in to the nursery. “Okay, Spikepelt, get ready! You’re the star of the show today for our…” Comet hesitated, wondering if Moon would be able to hear. “...Our little competition today.” He shoved his hand into the side pocket of his backpack…

But the Moon Stone was gone.

“That can’t be right,” Comet muttered, unzipping the main compartment. “I know I had it in here.” But the stone wasn’t in the main compartment either. Comet upended the entire bag upside down, its scattered contents littering the floor. Everything that wasn’t a Moon Stone got thrown behind him, and soon he was left with the empty backpack in front of him.

Dumbfounded, Comet stuck his hand in each of the pockets one more time. Empty. Empty. Empty.

“This can’t be happening,” Comet whispered to the bag, “I need that stone. Where did I have it last? I know I had it before we left for the SS Anne…”

That’s when it hit him. “Cat!” he snarled the name, brushing the discarded backpack items across the tile. “She must have stole it back during that stupid dance move stunt she pulled. She has to know I’m about to challenge Surge, she did this on purp-”

“Uh, Comet?”

He turned around with a startled jump. And then a sharp intake of breath. Moon was standing behind him, holding up his badge case. It was open, and the Boulder and Cascade badges were exposed. “Where did these come from?” she asked.

“They were a gift,” said Comet, trying to make his voice sound as convincing as possible.

Moon raised her eyebrows. “...A gift? Someone gave you two gym badges...as a gift?”

The words flew out of him in a desperate rush. “Okay don’t tell Oak!”

Comet-”

He hobble-walked up to her on his knees, pleading, “You can’t tell him! You just can’t! This is the only way I’m making any money for this damn place.”

Moon shook her head, but to Comet’s surprise, she didn’t seem angry. He couldn’t quite read her face. “I know the professor didn’t give you specific instructions against it,” she said carefully, “But I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to be battling with your patients. Especially not in gyms.”

“But we’re being careful!” said Comet eagerly. “Super careful. I won’t let BW battle for too long so he doesn’t get worn out, and I keep Spike’s eye clean, and I make sure Kessie doesn’t use her wing. And I don’t let anyone battle who can’t or doesn’t want to. Pokemon are made to battle, Moon, and these guys are actually pretty good!”

Moon gazed thoughtfully at the badges and said nothing. Comet slowly tilted over on his side to lay on the floor in defeat. “Oh, it doesn’t matter anyway,” he said miserably. “My Moon Stone was stolen, and now we’re royally fucked. Spikepelt was my only prayer against that gym, and only because he was going to have a type advantage. Now I might as well not even try.”

“Oh, so you think I’m weak, huh?”

Standing in the doorway was Spikepelt, glaring sourly at Comet. “That’s not what I meant,” Comet began, but the Nidorino snorted.

“Sounds like it to me. I thought trainers were supposed to have faith in their Pokemon. Oh, wait. That’s right. You’re not my trainer anyway!”

Moon raised an eyebrow. “He sounds pissed. What’s he saying?”

Moon was one of the few who understood Comet’s way with talking to his Pokemon. Or, at least, she believed he was a good guesser. Comet answered her without taking his eyes off of Spikepelt. “A bunch of teenage attitude crap, that’s what he’s saying. Spike, you know this was a totally different story when you were gonna be part ground. We are not challenging the gym anymore, and that’s that.”

The Nidorino’s scowl deepened, and he twisted his paws harder and harder against the tile with every word Comet said. “I’m telling you, I can do it! Maybe you’re the one who’s weak.”

That brought Comet back to his feet. “You listen,” he said through gritted teeth, jabbing a finger at the sullen Pokemon, “There’s a difference between being weak and being smart. You think challenging the gym right now makes you brave and strong, right? Even though you’re almost certain to lose and hurt yourself or worse? What’s the point, Spikepelt?! I know you’re tough, you know you’re tough. There’s no reason to throw yourself in unnecessary danger in order to prove it. It’s just foolhardy, and-”

Suddenly Comet became aware of the sound of muffled laughter coming from Moon. He paused. Froze. Replayed the conversation with Spikepelt in his mind. The anger drained from him like heat leaving through an open door. “Did I...did I just say the word ‘foolhardy’?”

Moon covered her mouth and let out a cough that sounded suspiciously like giggling. “Yes, Comet, you did.”

Spikepelt had joined Moon in mirth. Comet clutched at his heart and leaned against the examination table. “I sounded just like...just like…”

“Just like Professor Oak himself,” said Moon triumphantly.

Comet sank to the ground with a cry of anguish and inserted his head into his backpack.

No longer bothering to hide her laughter, Moon hovered over Comet with her hands clasped behind her back. “If only Cadence were here to see this.”

Comet scowled up at her from under the flap, but then an idea struck him and his scowl turned into a thoughtful frown. “Okay so since I just humiliated myself profoundly, does this mean you’re going to have mercy on me about the whole taking of the gym challenge thing?”

Moon tapped her chin with one finger. “Well, here’s the thing. I’m not thrilled about it. Not because I think it’s dangerous- Pokemon heal differently than humans do, and battling is ingrained in their core being. As long as you’re being as responsible as you say, and judging by that conversation it seems like you are, I don’t see any harm coming of it.”

“Thank you!” Comet cried, lurching in relief, “I really honestly am being careful, and-”

But,” Moon said sternly, “what I don’t like is you keeping secrets from the Professor. This isn’t what he wanted when he gave you this assignment and you know it.”

They stared at each other for a moment, Comet’s gaze pleading and Moon’s firm. Finally, Comet sighed and looked away. “I know. It’s just.... This has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. But hey,” he said with a sad smile and a shrug, “Looks like I’ve got no choice but to follow the rules now anyway. No Moon Stone, no gym battle.”

Everyone fell silent, even Spikepelt. Moon had an odd look on her face, and she kept looking from Comet to Spikepelt and back. She opened her mouth, inhaled like she was going to speak, and then closed it again and rubbed her chin.

Comet squinted at her. “What? What’s wrong with you? Why do you look like that?”

Moon shook her head. “I’m really going to regret saying this.”

“I know what that means,” said Comet, leaping to his feet. “That means you’re about to break the rules!”

“Stop.”

“I love it when Moon breaks the rules!” Comet crowed, throwing his arms up in the air.

“I am not-”

“Yes you are, you have guilt written all over your face and it’s amazing. Spill the beans.”

Moon sighed, defeated. “I just wanted to say...I think I know a way you can beat the Vermillion City gym.”

And I was shakin’ at the knees
Could I come again please?
Yeah the ladies were too kind
You’ve been
Thunderstruck

A pretty sound decision for the electric gym, Comet thought. But it soon became apparent by Lt. Surge’s reaction that he had made a mistake.

The grizzled old gym leader stared at him from across the field, all hard muscle and bones. Jaw flexed, he ran his thumb across the faded red cap of the Poke Ball at his belt. “Are you planning on taking this at all seriously any time soon?” he asked in a voice like gravel.

“Uh, sorry,” said Comet, thoroughly intimidated by the old trainer. Surge had always been one of his favorites, and someone he had always wanted to meet. But he never thought about what it would feel like to be on the receiving end of that steely stare. Comet fumbled at his Xtransceiver and turned off the music as quickly as possible. “I mean I knew it was a little on the nose, but-”

“You’re entering with only two Pokemon?” said Surge in the same tone, as if Comet hadn’t spoken at all.

“Y-yes sir.”

“Neither of which are ground types, according to your registration form.”

“...That’s right, sir.”

A vein bulged in Surge’s temple. “You do realize there’s a cave about two blocks down exclusively full of ground types that can make this battle nigh impossible to lose? Or you could just take a day or two to go to Mount Moon for a Moon Stone to evolve your Nidorino?”

Comet was surprised to find a little worm of indignant anger wriggling up from the pit of muddy shame that was his emotions under the scrutiny of Surge. He clung to that worm like a lifeline. “Time and resources are scarce right now. You saw my registration, you know I’m here on behalf of a clinic. One of my patients underwent a major brain surgery recently and we’re in desperate need of money.”

Surge grunted in disgust and rolled his eyes. “Excuses… I ought to make you sign a liability waiver. Whatever, let’s get this over with.” Surge’s hand shifted over to one of the newer Poke Balls on his belt, and he released a Voltorb.

Comet took a deep breath, sent up a quick, pleading prayer to Arceus, and sent out Bravewhisker. “One move, buddy,” Comet whispered, “One move and I’ll call you right back, I promise. Light Screen!”

Sparks flew from Bravewhisker’s cheeks. A curtain of electricity fell in front of him, forming a shimmering yellow barrier. To Comet’s dismay, the move clearly took a lot out of the little Pikachu. He swayed, clutching his chest and wheezing. Voltorb used its turn to lower Bravewhisker’s defense with a Screech, and Comet counted his blessings that it hadn’t been a direct attack. He wasn’t sure if Bravewhisker could have handled even a light hit. Comet withdrew Bravewhisker with a deep sense of mourning. Unless the Pikachu somehow started to get a lot better fast, Comet knew he could never send him out in another battle again.

Spikepelt took his place with a cry of challenge. “Alright, Spike. Get ready for our secret weapon,” said Comet, pulling the X-special defense out of his bag.

“I told you already, I don’t need that!” Spikepelt snapped, and lunged at the Voltorb.

“Thunderbolt,” Surge commanded. As it should be, his Pokemon listened. The Voltorb struck Spikepelt hard in the side, and he squealed as electricity coursed through his muscles.

“Spikepelt,” Comet growled. He would not look at Surge. It was all over if he saw Surge’s reaction to his disobedient Pokemon. That little worm of courage would have burrowed back down in the mud for good. “Take. The damn. Item.”

Somehow the Nidorino still looked reluctant as he obeyed. The next Thunderbolt drew much less of a reaction from Spikepelt, and the enemy Pokemon went down with a single Dig.

A Magnemite entered the field next. Spikepelt rolled his eyes. “You see? Now this is too easy!”

Hoping that Surge wouldn’t notice Spikepelt’s attitude if Comet didn’t react to it, he gave his command. “Hit them with another Dig!”

But Spikepelt lurched forward and slammed into the Steel type in a maneuver that was very clearly not a Dig. Comet rubbed his temple. “Spike-”

“ENOUGH!”

Everybody froze- even Spikepelt and the Magnemite. Despite his best efforts not to, Comet looked at Surge. The old gym leader was looking at him with a grimace of pure disgust. “I don’t have to put up with this bullshit!” he shouted. The sheer volume of his voice-and he didn’t even seem to be trying that hard to be loud-stuck Comet to the spot like his feet were pinned to the ground. He wanted to say something, to ask what was wrong, but he dared not speak.

Surge turned his back to him and went on. “This whole fucking gym challenge is already enough of a joke. Now I have you coming in here with Pokemon who are either half dead or walking all over you. It’s enough to make me sick.” He withdrew the Magnemite and flung something behind him. It clattered to the ground with a sharp, tinny clang. The Thunder Badge lay at Comet’s feet. “Just take it and get the hell out.”

Comet and Spikepelt stared at Surge with mirroring facial expressions of pure shock. Recovering first, Comet took a deep breath and a step forward. “I don’t accept. I want to finish the battle fair and square.”

“Arceus,” Surge spat, making Comet flinch despite himself. “You’re not getting this, are you? I don’t give a single shit about the gym challenge. It’s a children’s game. Battling has been handicapped beyond recognition to make sure even a ten year old kid could get through at least half the badges without breaking a sweat. If it were up to me, everyone would be facing our eight badge team and this challenge would actually mean something. The fact that you made it this far with your team of cripples proves that.”

The worm of anger in Comet suddenly became a snake. Fear and shame be damned. “Don’t talk about them like that. Now send out your damn Raichu. Unless you’re afraid you’re gonna lose.” Spikepelt looked up at Comet in shock, ears straight up in the air. Then he took a visible effort to shake himself and match the anger in the room.

“Fine,” Surge muttered, “Clearly you want more than just the badge. Here.” He scribbled something down on a check, placed it in an envelope, and flung it at Comet. “My grant. And an order for the repairs on your isolation unit. I normally would have added another extension with it, and other gym leaders might be even more generous than that, but you and I both know you clearly don’t deserve it. Judging by your pitiful performance.”

Comet ignored the envelope. “Send out your Raichu.”

Surge whirled around and crossed the field between them in a few quick strides. Comet couldn’t help but to take a staggering step back. Jamming a finger into Comet’s chest, Surge snarled, “You’re still not getting this through your thick skull. I don’t care whether I lose or not. I don’t care if I give you the badge now or after you come back with a catch from Diglett Cave. It doesn’t. Mean. Anything.”

Leaning into the finger against his chest until they were almost face to face, Comet met Surge’s eyes. “It means something to me. I don’t quit battles after I start them.”

Surge’s scowl darkened, and for a split second Comet thought there was going to be a battle between two humans instead of Pokemon.

But then, recognition colored Surge’s face. “Wait a minute…”

Every curse in the book crossed Comet’s mind, fighting to be the first one out of his mouth. The snake shriveled back into a worm and burrowed deep down into the mud. Their faces were too close together. He took a few steps back, but it was too late.

“I thought I saw your face before,” said Surge, fishing out an Xtransceiver from his belt. “If you’re so ready for a fight, try taking on the police.”

I actually did challenge Surge with Spikepelt as a Nidorino in-game. I didn't get a Moon Stone on my first trip through Mt. Moon and I thought I could just go back after I get Cut but for some reason the Let's Go games won't let you all the way through the cave until you beat Surge. So Spikepelt actually was a Nidorino and I did actually have BW use Light Screen (and he was at the point in-game where he could only use one move per battle because of his advancing doc-locke condition) and used an X item probably for the first time in my nuzlocking career. I ended up also needing to use two healing items because sassy Spikepelt did not listen to any of my commands for Raichu. So I didn't get any item bonus and I actually did dock myself on rewards like Surge said because of Spikepelt's antics.

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Legends: Arceus
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Well that gym battle was....kind-of a disaster! At least, it was in written form--beating Surge with pretty much just a Nidorino (and a Sassy one at that!) is a majorly impressive feat from a gameplay perspective :D Speaking of Surge, I really like your interpretation of his character--I've never really thought about it, but I can definitely see many gym leaders being frustrated by the pacing/ease of the gym challenge. Particularly ones like Lt. Surge who have had a lot of experience wielding high-level, highly dangerous Pokèmon! The idea that gym leaders have teams ready to match the order in which they are challenged is also pretty cool :0 As always, I love the way you've expanded the Pokèmon world!

Comet and Moon's discussion on the whole "gym battling with clinic Pokèmon" issue was also really interesting to read! I can see it being a very derisive issue in the Pokèmon universe--Pokèmon are naturally inclined to do battle and are capable of shaking off significant injuries with the help of little more than spray-on medicine, but there's always a gray area when it comes to potentially putting weakened creatures in danger. The way Lt. Surge speaks of the grant system makes me wonder if clinicians doing gym circuits for grants is common enough for such discussion to actually be like...a thing? But that has literally nothing to do with the chapter so I'll stop rambling XD

...aaaand Comet's gotten all tangled up with the law again. Something tells me he won't be getting off so easy this time...I really hope that's just a story device and not an indication that something bad went down in the gameplay! Only time will tell I guess ;o;

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
That’s when it hit him. “Cat!” he snarled the name, brushing the discarded backpack items across the tile. “She must have stole it back during that stupid dance move stunt she pulled. She has to know I’m about to challenge Surge, she did this on purp-”
Ah, the classic dance steal~

But, oop, she busted a move, and now Comet is busted. 😔

There’s a difference between being weak and being smart.
Oh, Comet, honey, I don't think you should be the one lecturing about being smart (Exhibit A: *gestures to Cat*), even though going to Lt. Surge without a ground type is 😬 .

Oh, but Moon has a plan? 👀

A vein bulged in Surge’s temple. “You do realize there’s a cave about two blocks down exclusively full of ground types that can make this battle nigh impossible to lose? Or you could just take a day or two to go to Mount Moon for a Moon Stone to evolve your Nidorino?”
I hope her plan involves at least some ground type moves. 😬

Or X items work! 👀

“Thunderbolt,” Surge commanded. As it should be, his Pokemon listened. The Voltorb struck Spikepelt hard in the side, and he squealed as electricity coursed through his muscles.

“Spikepelt,” Comet growled. He would not look at Surge. It was all over if he saw Surge’s reaction to his disobedient Pokemon. That little worm of courage would have burrowed back down in the mud for good. “Take. The damn. Item.”
I can see the RNG struggle here. :ohdear:

Nidorino gets Dig in LGPE? 👀 Nice.

The worm of anger in Comet suddenly became a snake. Fear and shame be damned. “Don’t talk about them like that. Now send out your damn Raichu. Unless you’re afraid you’re gonna lose.” Spikepelt looked up at Comet in shock, ears straight up in the air. Then he took a visible effort to shake himself and match the anger in the room.
Ah, a free Exhibit B! Thank you, Comet!

Oh no, Comet, maybe you should go into Diglett Cave now... As an escape route...

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Damn. I've seen many versions of Lt. Surge presented in different runs, but this has to be one of the darkest ones I've encountered.

Oh Comet no... Why Comet, why?

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
I ALSO LOVE IT WHEN MOON BREAKS THE RULES!!!!!!!!

i continue to worry about bravewhisker....c'mon buddy ;o; please tell me he gets to retire peacefully for the rest of his life? he deserves rest and head pats...

and damn...this surge? i love him. he's awful, i dig it so much. of course the lightning war vet who talks constantly about his service would see battling with literal children as a sort of insult

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Oh boy, nothing quite like doc-locke time crunch! If Comet picked up a diglet chances for him were that it was going to be too sick to battle anyway, or he'll get a near healthy one right after beating Surge. Seeing Bravewhisker's condition deteriorate is just, ahhh. I feel so bad, I don't want to lose him, but I know he'll die, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. And Surge is just, wow. Though I can get him not caring, this gym match means nothing and he can't even have a competition at full strength. To him it's like being forced to go easy on a 5 year old. And when that 5 year old purposely throws the game to see how far he's willing to go,,, yeah... Still, Comet messed up big time by not taking the W. Because nothing says what could possibly go wrong like having police on your trail.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Oh nooooo... I love Comet for getting mad about folk talking shit about his Pokemon, especially Surge just kinda taking out his frustration with the safer League on him, but I wish he'd just taken the badge and run DX

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
So Cat turned out to be villainous after all. I'm sure that was quite a shock for Comet. Allow me to express the full extent of my own shock in this next paragraph.

……… (I actually said out loud "uh-oh" as soon as I read that Comet saw a woman he recognized.)

Wait, Comet's lecturing Spikepelt about taking risks? Pfft, more like The Hypocritical Oath, am I right? Please tell me I'm right I've been waiting months for a chance to use that joke

As anxiety-inducing as it is to have the police called on Comet, I think it makes sense as a way to end that stand-off with Surge. We had two bull-headed guys going up against each other—it's kind of like the riddle of what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. Neither looked like he was going to yield, so something else had to come along.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
COOOMEEEEEEEET!
No, seriously, You know as much as the next guy I have a thing for dumb, impulsive characters, and this is the very thing that makes me cheer for you (and you know you don't deserve it, hopefully). But can't you do your research? Can't you just, like, be aware you're facing Lieutenant F'ing Surge? That he won't buy any of your bullshit? That he was being generous for once and letting you slip by and actually funding your clinic as you needed?

Let's be real. I really want you out now. Get the police involved, get Oak involved, get you suffering for your mistakes. And preferably letting your team out of it, because they did nothing to deserve a clinician like you.

(Oh, and a "lovely" portray of Surge, one of the best I've seen. Kudos to that because now he's among my favorites on this run, seconding to Moon of course)

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
@RisingMew -Yeah in-game it was sort of impressive, in-story was a total disaster hahah! I'm glad you liked Surge! His interactions with Comet were really fun to write. And I'm glad you liked his talk with Moon- that was something I felt the need to include to justify Comet's battling team a little more. There is a certain suspension of disbelief needed for this whole concept to work, and battling with impaired Pokemon not being considered abuse is one of those instances hahah

@Bowser's Family Vacation - I think there are a lot of characters who would love to sing the triumphant Busted song about Comet. And yeah Comet is not exactly the best one to be lecturing about wisdom. The RNG struggle was real, as always. And yeah Dig was a lifesaver.

@RubyClaw -Surge was probably the easiest gym leader for me to write so far. the rest have given me trouble because of how much of a back seat gym battles take in this run and yet I can't skip the gyms entirely because important things happen during them.

@bhelryss -Even Moon is not immune to getting swept up into Comet's antics. I appreciate your concern for our beloved BW. I'm glad you liked Surge- he was quite a fun asshole to write and a nice wake up call for Comet.

@ACottontail -Doc-locke time crunches are a struggle always. I actually did have a Diglett at this point who had an eye injury, but I was being really selective with my team in this run because of how much grinding sucks in this game so I never used her and she didn't make it into the story. And yeah you hit the nail on the head with Surge's opinions on the gym challenge.

@SayleeK -Yeah I like comparing this scene with the Comet of the beginning of the story who was embarassed to be seen with these Pokemon hahah And I'm sure in hindsight Comet is going to wish he did exactly that.

@QuietGuardian -Yep, I think Comet is the only one surprised by this turn of events hahah Officially changing the name of this run to The Hippocritical Oath- far more accurate. And yeah I think if the police didn't come it would have probably ended in Surge beating the piss out of Comet and Comet would still walk out of there somehow thinking he got the upper hand hahah!

@Leon Yorunaki -Dumb and impulsive are certainly two great adjectives for Comet! The worst part of it is, as an avid gym challenge fan, Comet was totally aware of Surge's personality. Just not necessarily aware of the true depths of his frustration with the gym challenge. I'm glad you enjoyed his portrayal! As for Comet, I think he'll be paying for this one...

Chapter 23

Comet barely felt the rain pelting his face. All that mattered was getting away. Far away, and as quickly as humanly possible.

Getting a lead on Surge was no easy feat. The man may be more muscle than anything else, but he could still move. Even with an Xtransceiver in one hand with the police on the other line, the furious gym leader was close on Comet’s heels.

A nearby trainer approaching them on a bicycle gaped at the spectacle. Surge called out to him. “Stop him! Block his path!”

To the trainer’s credit, he recovered from his shock quickly and placed his bike directly in Comet’s way. Everyone knows how respected Surge is- who wants to disobey one of his orders?

But respect and admiration could only get you so far if you weren’t willing to fight dirty when you had to.

Comet dove at the blocking trainer with a flying kick, sending him soaring into the nearby water with a splash. Landing on his feet-just barely- Comet quickly mounted the bicycle and tore off around the corner.

“You can add assault and theft to the list of charges now,” Comet heard Surge shouting into the Xtransceiver, “He’s heading north toward Saffron…”

The gym leader’s voice trailed off as the distance between them grew. Comet let out an exhausted puff of air. But he dared not slow down, not yet. Wind rushed by as he pushed the bike to its limits, and soon he was leaving Surge and Vermillion City behind.

Comet’s thoughts raced as fast as he did. Where was safe? He had to get out of The Diamond, that much he knew for sure. Too many Jennys who knew him too well. But then where? Maybe back to Mount Moon? Or the Rock Tunnel? It had to be dark and treacherous, somewhere a person didn’t want to be for long.

Light vanished as Comet ripped through the Underground Tunnel. He fervently hoped the Jenny’s on duty at Cerulean hadn’t heard from Surge yet. He just needed enough time to pass through to his hiding spot, wherever that would be.

By the time Comet emerged from the other side of the tunnel, his breaths were coming in gasps. He dared not pause, but he slowed his pace to allow his lungs to catch up to the rest of him. Damn Surge! To think he had been one of Comet’s favorite gym leaders. He let out a scoff just thinking about it. Wattson was way tougher anyway. With a way better personality. Comet’s mounting anger for the old veteran trainer made him want to speed up again, but he was sure he had left him far behind by now. Plus, with how slow the Jennys can be at mobilizing, he would be in and out of Cerulean before they could say Mew.

And if it weren’t for Jenny 6, he would have been right.

The officer in question stood right in front of the Mart he was heading toward. Comet couldn’t see her badge number, but he just knew it was 6. No other Jenny acted that fast and efficiently. She stood with her arms folded, head held high and feet apart, watching him approach. Backup officers suddenly appeared on either side of Comet, one on a Dodrio and one on a Ponyta.

Fuck!” Comet spat as the two mounted officers came at him. Their Pokemon were just as fast as the bicycle, if not faster. One of the Dodrio’s heads reached over, preparing to pluck him right out of the air. He had to think fast.

It was everything in Comet’s power to keep himself on the seat as he slammed on the breaks. The pursuing Pokémon continued their charge forward before starting to turn around at the command of their riders. Comet took this opportunity to dash to the east as fast as he could.

“You’re not getting away this time, Comet’s Fury!” Came Jenny 6’s voice from above.

Comet looked up. Jenny 6 was flying atop a Pidgeot, staring down at him like the fist of Arceus personified. A Poke Ball flew from her hand and released a Growlithe, who immediately started spitting smoke at the bike. Swearing viciously, Comet swerved and changed directions, hoping he was still heading for Rock Tunnel.

“Little bastard must be fast,” said Comet with a cough. No matter how fast he went, smoke followed around him. For a moment he thought about jumping off the bike in the hopes it would distract the Growlithe, but he would never outrun the mounted officers on foot. He had to just keep going until something gave.

Then, the wind picked up. Comet took in a grateful breath as the smoke cleared. But his deep gulp of air quickly turned into a groan as he took in his surroundings. The Dodrio and Ponyta were back on either side, rapidly gaining just behind him. This time, they stayed far enough behind that they would catch him if he slammed on the breaks again. But they were still close enough that if he started to veer either east or west, they could close in. The only way he could go was straight.

And, it turned out, ‘going straight’ meant heading straight across Nugget Bridge. And on the other side of Nugget Bridge was Jenny 6 on top of her Pidgeot.

“Make it easy on yourself,” said Jenny 6 in that authoritative voice, “Stop evading and surrender. You’re only making things worse.”

Yes, Comet’s Fury. Surrender to me. I can make all these problems go away, forever. We can defeat them together if you only would surrender. No one would dare challenge us!

A great snarl built up inside Comet, and he released it with a bellowing, “Never!

He made a sharp right turn, and rode the bicycle right over the edge of the bridge.

Jenny 6 shouted something that Comet couldn’t hear over the sound of rushing wind and the pounding rain against his face. Letting go of the bike handles, Comet reached for his belt and pulled out a Poke Ball. Phoenixfall emerged at the same time Comet hit the water.

“Dive deep, Phoe, hurry! Go against the water’s flow,” he cried, and then ducked under the water. Clinging tightly to the Gyarados’s scales, Comet closed his eyes and held his breath. Phoenixfall descended to the river floor. All he could hear was rushing water and the sound of scales brushing against the bottom of the river. They went on that way for as long as they could, with Comet’s eyes squeezed closed tight, hoping with all his might that they weren’t being followed.

Water stung in his nose. That was when they surfaced, just enough for Comet to take a deep breath before Phoenixfall’s arching body disappeared again. Mist from the disrupted water’s surface splashed at his face before they submerged. The sensation reminded him of riding on Waterfall toward Pallet Town. His stomach turned, and he pressed his face against Phoenixfall’s cool scales. It was just long enough that Comet had become uncomfortable before they emerged again. It would only take one time for Jenny 6 to see them flying on her Pidgeot and they would be followed for sure. They traveled like that for some time, with Phoenixfall breaching every minute or so for Comet to take a breath.

Finally, when the sun had dropped far below the horizon, Phoenixfall broke the water’s surface and stayed there. “We are safe, young one.”

Coughing and sputtering, Comet let himself slide off the Gyarados’s back and land in the water with a splash. It was shallow enough that the water only came up to the middle of his thigh, so he stood and leaned against Phoenixfall as he tried to catch his breath. Across the bank was Rock Tunnel and its associated Pokemon Center. Once they got to the clinic, no one could get in unless they knew the passcode. They really were safe. For now.

Comet was suddenly aware of a pain in his hand that he hadn’t noticed during his escape. He opened his fist and found the Thunderbadge staring back at him, poking into his palm. He wanted to bury it straight in the mud.

The sheer heaviness of the water all around him was enough to make him sag. Sodden clothes clung to his skin and weighed him down like an anchor. Rain continued to fall, making sure nothing could even begin to dry. The river rushed on around his knees.

Comet’s foot pulled itself out of the muddy riverbed and sloshed as he took a step toward the bank. He could see inside the Pokémon Center’s windows from where he was. People milled about, happy and dry. The Nurse Joy smiled and nodded at a trainer as she handed him back his Poke Balls. The lights from within cast a glow around the surrounding grass, a sharp contrast from the damp blue hues of everything else beyond its reach.

“What’s the matter?” Asked Phoenixfall in a gentle whisper.

“I’m not ready to go inside yet,” said Comet in an equally quiet voice. “I’m just…not ready.”

Phoenixfall blinked slowly at him, her crimson eyes searching. Then, she began to gingerly coil her tail around him. Comet let her scoop him up, her cool scales slowly wrapping upwards to surround him. Soon he was in a cool, watery cocoon. Phoenixfall began to hum deep in her throat, making the water at the bottom of the makeshift chamber vibrate. She rocked gently back and forth, the water sloshing against her scales with each motion.

Comet let out a deep breath and closed his eyes. The coolness, the rocking, the thrumming of the Gyarados’s voice. It was like nothing else in the whole world existed outside his little cocoon. For the first time in months, he finally felt free of watching eyes.

“Everything I do is wrong, Phoe,” he whispered. Phoenixfall didn’t answer; she just kept humming on. No one would hear him here. No one to judge. “I’ve been like this my whole life. I just can’t do anything right. Every time I have to make a decision, it seems so easy to see the right choice. But then I act and everything falls apart, and I look back and I can’t believe how fucking stupid I was. How did I not see this coming?”

Clutching his necklace, Comet leaned back against Phoenixfalls coils forming the wall of the chamber. “I should have never challenged Surge. I should have stayed behind and evolved Metapod. And I never should have set Mewtwo free.”

Comet let his hand fall from his necklace and drop into the water dejectedly. “But I was just so sure it was the right thing to do. And I’m just so scared this is going to keep on happening, mistake after mistake, until everyone I love either dies or leaves me. All because I can’t figure out how to not fuck up.”

Phoenixfall didn’t respond. Maybe she really couldn’t hear him. But it was all for the best, because just saying the words out loud was a release. It was like all of the water pooling at the bottom of the chamber was weight and worry that had melted from his body. He remained in the cocoon for a few more minutes, basking in its cool serenity, before he asked the Gyarados to uncoil. He was ready to return to the world.

After passing evening meds, Comet sat at the examination table, holding his Xtransceiver in his hands. The only other one in the room was Bravewhisker. The little Pikachu was still recovering from the gym battle. Even though he had only used one move, it had still taken a lot out of him. His breathing came heavy and fast.

But when Comet, fingers shaking, started pressing the numbers on the Xtransceiver, Bravewhisker shifted his weight so he was leaning against Comet’s arm. “You’ve got this, kid,” he said hoarsely. Comet swallowed, nodded, and finished sending the call.

It rang only twice before Oak picked up. “Comet! I was hoping to hear from you! How goes everything at the clinic? And did you enjoy the SS Anne?”

Comet opened his mouth, then closed it. He had mentally rehearsed how he was going to tell the professor, but all the words had left his mind. How could he even begin to say something like this out loud?

He didn’t think the silence had lasted that long, but Oak’s tone changed and he said, “Comet? Is everything alright?”

There was no way around it now. He had wanted so badly for his voice to be steady. “No,” he croaked.

“What is it? Is it one of the Pokémon? Tell me what I can do to help.”

Comet took a deep, shaking breath. Bravewhisker pressed further into his arm. “It’s not about them. It’s about me.”

The professor’s voice became even lower and more serious. “Tell me.”

Rubbing his hand roughly through his hair, Comet focused on getting his chin to stop trembling before he responded. “There’s something wrong with me, Professor. Ever since Mewtwo. I’ve been hearing their voice…” He trailed off, his voice shaking too much to continue.

“Comet,” said Oak softly, “What happened that day was horrible. Beyond imagining. And I’m sure that’s not something that’s easy for you to cope with. I thought maybe when you were ready to talk about it we could see about getting you some help-“

“It’s not just that though,” said Comet, more sharply. He took another slow breath to moderate his tone. “It’s not just the memories of that night. I know it sounds crazy, and maybe you won’t believe me, but Mewtwo talks to me. And sometimes… it’s like they’re taking over my body. And I’m so fucking scared, and I don’t know what to do.”

This time it was the professor’s turn to pause in silence. Comet trembled, one hand clenched over his mouth. “That’s good, kid. You’re doing fine,” said Bravewhisker quietly.

Finally Oak spoke again, his voice serious. “I believe you. And I think I know someone who can help.”

“I’ll do anything.”

“There’s a friend of mine in Lavender Town,” said the professor. “His name is Minoru Fuji. He… deals with situations like this. I can’t tell you what’s happening, Comet, as much as I wish I could. But if anyone can help you, it’s him.”

Comet nodded slowly. Lavender Town was just beyond the Rock Tunnel. It’s about time something was convenient. “I’ll leave for Lavender tomorrow then.”

“Good. How is everything else going?”

Comet looked at the clock. He had plenty of time before he usually went to bed. Maybe a conversation with the professor would help calm his nerves. He was surprised to find that there were plenty of good things he wanted to talk about. How Kessie’s wing is almost healed, and how Gloom hasn’t had any seizures, and Spearow’s treatment seems to be working.

For a split second, Comet almost thought that maybe being a clinician wasn’t so bad after all.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
So Comet's finally opened up and talked about his problems, and he's getting help. That's good. Very, very good.

And yet I can't help but think that what just happened with Lt. Surge and the Jennys is coming back to bite him in the butt later...

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
In the vein of fitting Phineas and Ferb songs...

Although Candace was running because she had shoes that would not allow her to stop running. Comet here could stop. But I don't blame him for not wanting to. :x Your Lt. Surge is frightening.

Damn Surge! To think he had been one of Comet’s favorite gym leaders. He let out a scoff just thinking about it. Wattson was way tougher anyway. With a way better personality.
heyo

with how slow the Jennys can be at mobilizing, he would be in and out of Cerulean before they could say Mew.

And if it weren’t for Jenny 6, he would have been right.
6p487i.jpg

“Make it easy on yourself,” said Jenny 6 in that authoritative voice, “Stop evading and surrender. You’re only making things worse.”

Yes, Comet’s Fury. Surrender to me. I can make all these problems go away, forever. We can defeat them together if you only would surrender. No one would dare challenge us!

A great snarl built up inside Comet, and he released it with a bellowing, “Never!
Jenny 6 doesn't even know the one fear she's supposed to have: getting blown up by Comet!Mewtwo.

Phoenixfall rocking Comet like a child!!! My heart! 💔

Finally Oak spoke again, his voice serious. “I believe you. And I think I know someone who can help.”
I was not respecting such a good response from Oak! :0 "I believe you" are the three best words when someone comes to you in crisis.

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Legends: Arceus
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Ohh man, I really do feel for Comet. There's something so deeply discouraging about constantly thinking you're doing the right thing, only to have every effort blow up in your face. The fact that he's able to get his thoughts into words is a good sign, though, and it's really cool to see him open up to others when he would have preferred doing anything but just a few weeks before. He's still got some growing to do, but it really seems like he's making some progress! Seems strange to say that after the man stole a bike and spent his day dodging the police, but hey XD

Also, Phoenixfall is just the best. Definitely the exact kind of companion Comet needs in his life right now!

I'm still pretty nervous about what the repercussions of all this will be. It seems like Comet's persistent dodging of the law is setting him up for some some serious comeuppance later down the line ;o;

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
;o; comet

im glad he finally can like, be honest with himself, but i'm worried bout the chase sequence's repercussions

but i hope fuji can help, the mewtwo thing is scary

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
*sigh, poor Comet, nothing goes simply for him... It's a good thing he has so many pokemon and people who see him for who he is and can help.

Well, if someone can help you with a possessing Mewtwo it's got to be Mr. Fuji right 😄 ?

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
COMET nooo...

Idk what that was in response to, there have been a lot of “Comet, NO” moments in these last few chapters XD

The poor kid, though. It’s obvious he has a lot of regrets, but here we get to actually see him recognize his own lack of impulse control that results in him getting into trouble pretty much constantly. I wonder if this is a sign, that he’s willing to work on that? If not for his own sake, than for that of his patients. But also for his own sake. With him finally coming around and telling Oak about Mewtwo - which went over so well, btw, good on ya - I’m optimistic for him. Here’s hoping Mr. Fuji has even an iota of info about what the heck a dead Mewtwo is doing in Comet’s body D:

But also, man. The scene with Phoenixfall in this chapter. I’m not crying,, you’re crying,,,, She really is so sweet, and Comet deserves a big scary fish to cuddle with underwater every once in a while.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
My boy! He's developing character! He's talking to people! First his lovely scary giant fish friend, then the Professor! Good lad! I'm so proud of you!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Wow, in one update Comet went from a doctor with questionable methods to a flat out criminal. While I could see him slipping by with the other stuff from before, now he's just, he's going to have a terrible time explaining things in court. Still the scene with Comet and Phoenixfall is just so, ahhh, I love it! It's so sweet, and calming in a sea of everything getting worse. Yes! Comet finally talking to oak. I mean he's still hiding the giant Donphan in the room, but at least he's making baby steps.

Users who are viewing this thread