• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

What rulesets should I use for my accompanying SSWL run?

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke combination

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Naturelocke only (Maybe with monotype rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Doc-locke only (maybe with lorelocke rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Naturelocke/Doc-locke/Lorelocke monstrosity

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
The dramatic retelling of my Let's Go Pikachu playthrough with Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Mewtwo @ baby Comet's trauma: "The more things change, the more things stay the same, huh?"

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
I actually thought Gale's sarcastic note to Comet was pretty funny. And I don't think she thought he'd really have been boneheaded enough to try forcefully holding down the Persian. But I'm guessing you've gotta reflect it in your story when your gameplay dictates that your clinician is injured while caring for a Pokémon, huh?

More about Mewtwo! So its body is dead but it's still in Comet's mind? That was not what I was expecting. But I am glad to see Comet opening up to Bravewhisker about it and the latter taking it seriously.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
One extremely agitated Persian and Comet make for an explosive combo. Though I wonder if there are zoos in Comet's world. Having a large cage that simulates the pokemon's natural habitat sounds like it would be a decent way to let the worst cases of pokeball syndrome heal safely. Though pokeball syndrome does bring up the question, what happens inside of pokeballs?
If I have to guess, Comet seems like he's become Mewtwo's therapist who has to teach Mewtwo things like empathy, and murder is wrong. If I have to guess Mewtwo's chart says something along the lines of "Your Mewtwo's therapist now, good luck with that Comet!". Mewtwo's soul seems to be in Comet's body now, oh boy Comet didn't have enough on his plate already! I find irony in Mewtwo trying to protect Comet from Perisan for wronging him by attacking, yet Mewtwo did much worse by killing two of Comet's closest friends(and entire building of people, but that's not Comet related).
Woo! Let's go BraveWhisker! Being the responsible one in this situation. BW just saved Comet's life, but with BraveWhisker's condition being a ticking time bomb, I'm surprised he lasted this long.

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
@Trollkitten - Yep. It's twisty, very twisty ~

@RubyClaw -Comet really is riding the struggle bus lately. Or maybe it's more accurate to say he's driving the struggle bus and all his Pokemon are the passengers. Thank goodness for BW.

@DeterminedDelcatty -Yeah, nonphysical means of restraint would be a little easier on everyone. Thanks again for the awesome team art! :)

@bhelryss -Dead and cremated does complicate things. A bit of a twist was what I was hoping for here so I'm glad it wasn't what you expected! And thank goodness for BW and Moon.

@Uberle - Ah, welcome back! Yeah that's a good assessment of Comet. I do wonder how he would react if someone did sit him down and explain exactly how he fucked up. Hectic, suffocating, and forboding is exactly what I was going for in the hospital scene! And omg I would love to witness a conversation between Asclepius and Comet. I think there would be some level of mutual respect but also Asclepius would be like "...who let you in this club?"

@Leon Yorunaki -Mewtwo just wants to put some trauma icing on top of the trauma cake, that's all. And omg listen, I may have a medical background but really only in my specific occupational therapy field so you're totally right- I was definitely choosing story over medical accuracy here lol Honestly I don't know much about how blood donations work. The only hands on experience I had with transfusions was when I worked at the vet clinic. The veterinarian's dog was a blood donor and we used him when a transfusion was needed (which wasn't that often). For our sanity's sake maybe we can say Moon only donated just enough to get Comet in a stable condition rather than giving him three pints lol. Thank you for pointing that out!

@Bowser's Family Vacation - Baby Comet and Adult Comet are one and the same in a lot of ways and Mewtwo is def encouraging that hahah

@QuietGuardian - I'm glad you're a Gale sympathizer! Her role in the story is not over :) And I actually don't remember if there was a "gameplay" injury at this point, but I remember wanting to introduce that concept somewhere and it fit well here. And I'm glad I succeeded in this minor Mewtwo twist!

@ACottontail -I love the idea of a Pokemon zoo! I wonder if I can make a ruleset out of that lol I really like your Mewtwo theory! Of course, I will neither confirm or deny. And Mewtwo is quite hypocritical here. And yes BW deserves all the praise! Nothing like a boy and his Chu.

Posting this early since I will be on vacation in Colorado on Saturday! Enjoy!

Chapter 20

The day flew by in a whirl.

It started before sunrise with the very unwelcome sounding of Comet’s alarm, which he canceled with a growl. He arched his back in a long stretch, bones creaking. Apparently falling asleep slumped over on the examination table is enough to make anyone stiff.

But stiffness or no, the day needed to begin. And begin it did, with the task of picking Spearow up from the Saffron City Clinic. He brought Abra with him, and it seemed like the little guy could sense what was happening. He was wide awake and fidgety, but he didn’t cry once and he kept looking up at Comet as if he wanted him to move faster.

To Comet’s surprise, Spearow hadn’t lost any of his youthful energy after the procedure. Besides some extra bandages and stitches in his head, he was very much the same as he always was. The two friends reunited gleefully and spent the rest of the morning snuggled up in a nap.

But the day’s tasks had only just begun for Comet. With Spearow came a hefty bill to pay. Then there was the fundraising gala on the SS Anne. And morning meds still needed to be passed.

“Bring it on, Giratina,” murmured Comet as he swallowed two ibuprofen with a mouthful of black coffee.

As much as he wanted to avoid it, Comet decided that the only correct course of action would be to start with the Persian. Because if that was gonna go south, everything else was gonna go down with it. Armed with the newly-purchased pilling device, he entered the nursery.

Persian lay sound asleep in his corner, his flank rising and falling with each soft breath.

Comet smiled. “Gotcha, Entei.”

Ever so carefully, Comet extended the pilling device to its longest setting and loaded the pill. He slowly lifted the Persian’s lip with the far end of the tube. Holding his breath, he pressed the tube between two fangs…

And the Persian’s eyes snapped open. With a yowl, he swatted his paw down hard on the pill gun, snapping it straight in half.

Shit!” Comet spat, throwing the broken haft of the gun to the ground in frustration. “I don’t have time for this today…” Rubbing his temples, he looked around the nursery. “I know Bravewhisker said it’s not good for you to be restrained, but since you insist on being a royal prick, you’re not leaving me a whole lot of choice. Hey, Phoenixfall!”

The Gyarados in question languidly slithered out of her pool and approached them. “Can I be of assistance?”

Phoenixfall’s formidable shadow slowly enveloped Persian as she came nearer, and his confrontational demeanor slowly faded to pure awestruck fear.

Comet frowned up at Phoenixfall. She was big, sure, but far from intimidating. None of Waterfall’s natural fierceness was in her eyes, and she hardly ever stretched her jaws like the Gyarados in textbook pictures. But apparently she was still scary enough to get the job done.

“I’ve got this Persian here, Phoe, who doesn’t want to take his medicine and I thought maybe he just needs a little extra convincing.”

Phoenixfall inclined her head in a nod. “Then we shall discuss.”

“Uh…” said Comet, scratching the back of his head. “A discussion isn’t exactly what I had in mind. Moon’s Venusaur apparently did this thing where he was wrapped in vines...”

But Phoenixfall already had her head bent low so that she was eye to eye with the frightened feline. He stared back at her, eyes wide and hackles raised, but did not attempt to strike. Comet squinted at them, straining to listen. But it was much harder to tell what Pokemon were saying to each other. Pokemon talk much differently to humans than they do amongst themselves.

After a moment, Phoenixfall glanced at Comet. “Whatever happened to this Persian had a great effect on him. I can barely find his sentience. Conversation is impossible. He has become something nearly beyond feral. But I think I have him frightened enough that he will take his medicine.”

“Wow,” Comet whispered, “I had no idea it was that bad.” He extended one hand toward the Persian, but Phoenixfall cleared her throat.

“If I may suggest, I believe it would still be wise to utilize that long contraption.”

Comet sighed and returned to the examination room to put another pill gun order in the computer. Pulling out the delivery plate on the bottom of the monitor, he decided to take inventory in the cabinets while he waited for the device to materialize.

He picked up Bravewhisker’s bottle and grimaced. It was almost empty. “This is what I get for upping the dosage I guess,” Comet muttered, plugging that order into the computer as well. He winced when the price came up on the screen. Between this and the bill from the Saffron City Clinic, Comet wasn’t sure the grant from Misty was going to cover everything. He had to challenge the next gym. Today.

“Never thought I would see you this deep in thought. And with black hair, no less.”

Comet jumped at the voice and nearly dropped what was left of Bravewhisker’s medicine. “Moon! What are you doing up this early?”

She stretched her arms up in the air with a smile. “The isolation unit isn’t exactly the most comfortable place in the world for a human. Plus, I might as well get a head start on getting ready for this gala.”

“I can’t believe you stayed here overnight,” said Comet, rubbing his bandaged arm. “You didn’t have to do… any of this.”

Moon laughed, rifling through a large duffle bag she had placed on the floor. “Well, I could hardly let you bleed out, could I?”

Comet watched his friend pull items out of the bag- a pale blue dress, a pair of heels, a makeup bag...Meanwhile, Comet’s thoughts were a squirming tangle. Moon and Cadence had already rescued him from the Rockets in Cerulean, and now this. How was he ever going to repay them? How could they still want to do so much for him after all that’s happened? He wanted so badly to say thank you, but the words stuck fast in his throat, and he wasn’t sure why.

Something that felt like a big cloth suddenly covered his head, breaking him from his thoughts.

“You’ve gotta look presentable too, you know. Or you won’t get a cent out of these people. Oak figured you wouldn’t have anything formal to wear, so he told me to give this to you.”

Comet peeled the offending material off his face and nearly screamed at the sight of it.

It was a tuxedo.

“This is hell.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“I died and went to Kalosian hell.”

“Alright, that’s a little-”

“And everyone knows that’s the deepest level of hell, right next to the Pokestar Studios in Unova.”

“Okay, Comet,” said Moon, taking him firmly by both shoulders. “You and I have had this talk before. Sometimes we have to do things we don’t enjoy. I don’t like it either, but I have a mission to complete and you have a job to do.”

Comet spared her a withering look and tried to make his face look marginally less abysmal. But everyone on the whole ship was dressed like they shat gold. They all gathered in tight-knit little clusters, either whispering amongst themselves or laughing way too loudly.

But the worst part had to be the food. Waiters glided around the ballroom with round metal trays carrying a dozen small plates. Each little plate contained approximately one mouthful of the most unappealing looking...seafood? Vegetable? Slime? Comet couldn’t even identify the stuff.

But he stifled his complaints and stepped into the fray, Moon close by his side. “I really wish you had left your backpack at home,” she muttered.

“Oh, come on, it blends right in. It’s black, just like my monkey suit.”

Moon sighed. “I’m sticking with you just long enough to make sure you can act at least semi-human around these people and then after that I have to split up to do my own thing. You think you can handle that well enough?”

Comet muttered something unintelligible that sounded mostly like an agreement.

“...Good enough. Why don’t you start with that guy over there? He’s not talking to anyone yet.”

Forcing himself to approach the man in the powder blue Kalosian suit that probably cost more than everything Comet owned, Comet did his best to construct a winning smile. “Uh, hey!”

Moon nudged Comet sharply in the ribs and got a reproachful glare in return. The man in the blue suit sniffed disdainfully and replied, “...Hey.” The word sounded like something from a foreign language coming out of his mouth.

Comet cleared his throat and tried to start again. “My name is...um…” He glanced from the Kalosian to Moon and back. He was still supposed to be going by Peter Finnigan, but that name hadn’t come out of his mouth in so long. It was bad enough responding to it, let alone asking for people to use it.

But the Kalosian in blue spared him the trouble. “Which charity case are you?”

Charity case?!” Comet exclaimed, voice heated.

Moon cut in quickly. “Wow! Okay! We have to go get ourselves something to eat.” She ushered him off to the other side of the ballroom. “So that was even more awful than I expected,” she hissed as soon as they were out of earshot.

“I am not a charity case.”

“Comet, everyone here is a charity case who isn’t a donor!” said Moon, gesturing widely to the surrounding people. “Listen to that woman there.”

At a nearby table, a modestly dressed woman addressed a table of Kalosians. Comet couldn’t quite catch what she was saying to them, but she was handing out flyers to everyone at the table. The title of the flyers read, ‘An End to Slowpoke Tail Poaching’.

Comet turned back to Moon and sighed. “I get it, but he didn’t have to word it like that….”

“I don’t think he meant any offense by it,” said Moon, putting a hand on Comet’s shoulder. “Just...try to swallow a little pride and think of how much better off these sick Pokemon will be if you do this for them.”

One of the Kalosian men at the table, dressed in a deep green suit, shook the Slowpoke advocate’s hand and then separated from the group. “I guess this is my chance,” Comet murmured.

“Good luck,” said Moon, “I’m gonna start scanning this crowd for Rockets. Remember to smile!”

So Comet upturned his lips, showed his teeth, and approached the Kalosian in green with a stiff, “Hello. My charity case is the Viridian City Clinic.”

The Kalosian shook his head with a grim expression. “Terrible thing that happened there. Just terrible.”

Comet was suddenly very grateful that he wasn’t going by his better-known name. “You can call me Peter,” he said. Better than saying ‘my name is’. Easier to choke out. They could call him Fantina for all he cared, it didn’t make it his name. “Rebuilding the clinic took a lot of time and money, and now there’s little funds to go around to care for the Pokemon who need our help.” Comet tried not to nod to himself. That sounded pretty damn professional, he thought.

But the Kalosian in green was nodding at him with a searching gaze. Comet cursed internally. No flyers or presentations to grab their interest. He never wanted to be a salesman, and now he was selling the lives he was responsible for…

That gave him an idea.

Removing his backpack- Moon would be cringing if she knew he was drawing attention to it but oh well- he pulled out a Poke Ball. “But don’t take my word for it,” he said, and released Kestrelsight.

She looked around with a coo, blinking her wide goggled eyes at the ballroom. Between her goggles, the bandaged wing, and her dazed demeanor, she did make for quite the pitiful sight.

And Greenie fell for it hook, line, and sinker. “Oh, the poor thing!” he cried, bending down to get a better look at her.

“Her trainer was killed by Team Rocket. She broke her wing trying to protect him.”

That drew more cries of dismay from Greenie, which in turn drew more stares from the nearby tables. “There’s many more like her at the clinic, and not enough money to care for them all. If Kessie here didn’t take her medicine, she would have nightmares every night.”

Soon a small crowd of colorful donors surrounded Comet and Kessie, taking turns to ‘tsk’ in sympathy for the poor little bird.

Relief flooded over Comet. Maybe he wouldn’t have to challenge the next gym after all. Evolving Spikepelt was just about the exact last thing he wanted to do, and Arceus knows none of the other teammates were a good matchup against Surge’s electric types. Even if only half of the gathered crowd donates, Comet was sure it would be enough for-

“It is decided,” declared Greenie, “The Viridian City Clinic will be added to our list of yearly rotating charity grants!”

The crowd of colorful Kalosians began to clap primly, smiling at each other. Comet and Kessie stared at the crowd with matching blank expressions. Yearly? Rotating? Greenie shook Comet’s hand heartily, drawing an absent-minded, “Thank you, sir,” from Comet. Yearly. Rotating. A waiter came by with more dubious-looking hors d'oeuvres, and the crowd turned their attention to him and then dissipated.

“What the fuck just happened?” Comet asked Kessie once they had all left. Kessie looked up at him and cooed.

Thankfully, it was easy to find Moon again, thanks to her height. She was pretending to admire the art hanging from the ballroom’s walls, but Comet knew she was really looking for any secret switches they might be hiding. Team Rocket had pulled that trick many times in the past.

“What the hell is a yearly rotating grant?” Comet asked.

Moon winced. “Ooh. I didn’t know they were doing it like that. I wonder how many other charities are in the...rotation.”

“So I didn’t get fuck all for this whole thing.”

“I wouldn’t say that,” said Moon consolingly, “It can only help the clinic long term.”

“Okay but that’s just the thing!” said Comet, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. “I don’t plan on doing this long term. As a matter of fact, now that I’ve accomplished my mission here, I might as well help you with yours.”

Moon sighed. “That’s not how this works, Comet.”

“Why not?!” he exclaimed, throwing out his hands, “I’m here, aren’t I? Do you really think Oak would have sent two members of the Kanto Bough here if he didn’t expect us to work together on this?”

“That’s where you’re not understanding,” said Moon quietly, “You’re not on the Kanto Bough anymore.”

“But I will be! Maybe…” his voice lost some heat with that last word. “When all this is over.”

“But we’re not talking about the future. We’re talking about now. And right now, I just can’t risk involving people who aren’t in the Bough. I miss the old days too, Comet, but I’m team leader. That means doing what’s best for the Bough whether I like it or not. Even if it’s hard.”

Trying to slow his rapidly increasing breathing speed, Comet focused on a spot on the wall just beyond where Moon was standing. “You don’t think I’m ever going to get back on the Bough, do you?”

Moon closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them again, she was meeting his gaze steadily. If he hadn’t known her so well, he might have missed the effort that took. “Are you ready for honesty?”

It was a question she had asked him before. As well as Comet knew Moon, Moon knew Comet. Sometimes he wasn’t ready for the truth, and he just wanted someone to vent to when he was in a bad mood. Then, the truth could come later when he was calm. He definitely was far from calm right now, but still he said, “Yes.”

Moon’s voice was calm and gentle. “I’m sorry, Comet. I really don’t foresee you returning to the Kanto Bough.”

Comet wanted to look anywhere but at Moon. His eyes scanned the crowd of Kalosians. A string quartet, sitting on a raised platform in one corner of the ballroom, had begun to play a slow, lilting waltz. Watching the donors dance in their colorful suits and gowns was like watching a kaleidoscope. But there was one woman, dressed in red, who caught Comet’s eye.

“Are you ready to talk about why?” said Moon, but Comet barely heard her. “If we do, we’ll have to talk about the incident with Mewtwo. And I don’t want to talk about that unless you’re truly ready for it.”

The woman in red twirled from one partner to the next without missing a beat. Some nearby dancers neglected their own partners to stare at her, resulting in more than a few stomped toes. She had roses in her hair, and her dress was a shade that perfectly matched the petals. This time, her gown was not at all out of place. She looked up from her current partner, and their eyes met. She smiled.

Cat.

“I have to go,” said Comet, and left Moon staring worriedly after him.

The whole Phoenixfall/Persian interaction is actually another example of doc-locke gameplay making it into the story. If you're treating a Pokemon who is potentially aggressive, you can bring one of your other Pokemon with you for protection while you treat it. However, if the aggressive Pokemon attacks, your protector Pokemon is at risk for injury. The odds of your protector Pokemon being injured depends on things like type matchups and the difference in strength between the two Pokemon. In this case, Phoenixfall was a pretty safe bet.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Great chapter, very well written. I laughed out loud reading Comet's remark about the Poke Studios and Kalosian hell.

Must be hard being Moon at this situation, and sure hard to be Comet, I hope their friendship could last this.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Comet peeled the offending material off his face and nearly screamed at the sight of it.

It was a tuxedo.

“This is hell.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“I died and went to Kalosian hell.”

“Alright, that’s a little-”

“And everyone knows that’s the deepest level of hell, right next to the Pokestar Studios in Unova.”
I mean, yeah, Pokestar Studios is generally reviled. And Comet did come close enough to death from that Persian messing him up...

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
I did some research and found out it most likely happens as you said: to mitigate the risks of anaphylactic shock, even at a massive need for blood a patient only receive one pint at a time, while being kept hydrated so it helps on recovery as well. Especially because there are other factors involved than blood type.
Seriously, who cares about accuracy? As long as it makes minimal sense, there's no need (and that's me talking to myself) to be an AH about it, especially when I've intentionally left accuracy behind for a better story more times than I can count

But, seriously, let's get into the different definitions of hell, by Comet:
[ ] Being cursed/attacked by Mewtwo of all things
[ ] bleeding to death
[X] wearing a tuxedo for a charity case
[X] pokestar studios

Does it make sense to you? For me it doesn't, but then again, it's Comet, right?
I seriously didn't want to be in Moon's shoes. She threaded nicely through that thin wire, without falling, and he didn't even make a fuss about it. Okay, that last part is due to Cat, whoever she is. And now I'm worried about Comet ruining everything (again)...

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
i love moon asking comet if he's ready for stuff. i don't think he's ready for why yet, but i'd like to hear it when he is

he's a good kid, if impulsive

i continue to be worried about persian. i hope it can recover. i hope it can feel safe again

im glad that phoenix is able to help, i love her

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
At last I got the chance to binge this fic I've been hearing so much about for so long, and it more than lives up to the hype! You are absolutely out of your mind for running such complicated rulesets, nevermind multiple ones at the same time, but it's resulting in a fascinating story. I love Phoenixfall and Kessie in particular and am very, very afraid for them. I also swing back and forth between wanting to pat Comet on the back and choke the life out of him. I can't remember a clear statement on his age, but he definitely comes off like a mid-teenager, and that makes me want to choke the life out of Oak more than anything. The man raises and sends out child vigilantes?! And now he's making one of them responsible for an extremely traumatic job where Pokemon can and do die if he fucks up and is just like "hope the kid learns something from this"?? This whole Kanto is pretty fucked up. Jail for all of them! Jail for ten million years!

And on top of that, he's, uhhh... possessed by Mewtwo's ghost??? Wow, the fun never stops around here! Honestly I am goddamn honoured that All Our Futures got to share the podium with this incredible piece of work. I think I have to go read your med blog now to find out why you would do this to yourself oh my god

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
It started before sunrise with the very unwelcome sounding of Comet’s alarm, which he canceled with a growl.
Alas, no sleep for the healthcare worker. 😔

“Whatever happened to this Persian had a great effect on him. I can barely find his sentience. Conversation is impossible. He has become something nearly beyond feral. But I think I have him frightened enough that he will take his medicine.”
What kind of trauma causes someone to lose their sentience!? 0-o

But everyone on the whole ship was dressed like they shat gold. They all gathered in tight-knit little clusters, either whispering amongst themselves or laughing way too loudly.
Ah, this kind of trauma.

Removing his backpack- Moon would be cringing if she knew he was drawing attention to it but oh well- he pulled out a Poke Ball. “But don’t take my word for it,” he said, and released Kestrelsight.

She looked around with a coo, blinking her wide goggled eyes at the ballroom. Between her goggles, the bandaged wing, and her dazed demeanor, she did make for quite the pitiful sight.
No, Comet, not inspiration porn! 😭 But it did get money. ...Yearly. ...Rotationally.

Oh, hi, Cat, whatchu doin here? 👀

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Legends: Arceus
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Whew! I have missed...a lot, but I'm all caught up now!

For one thing, a massively belated congrats for the Ganza gold! That is an amazing accomplishment and so very earned. This run is so fun and engaging to read, and I have immensely enjoyed reading the chapters I've missed over the past few months! Comet has faced some immense medical dilemmas, and your ability to maintain his characterization throughout such difficult and realistic topics is just astounding. I particularly enjoyed your write-up of the Alolan Geodude, both because she suffered from such a fascinating fictional illness and also because her whole situation touched a very important idea across both human and veterinary medical fields. You can do all the right things and still have a patient take a turn for the worse! It's a tough pill to swallow (certainly for someone as empathetic and prideful as Comet), and I think it's so awesome that you can communicate that struggle alongside many others in a story written about Pokemon, of all things!

Purely medical stuff aside, I have also really been enjoying getting to know more about Comet and his past! The reveal that Mewtwo isn't just communicating with Comet from a distance but instead actually possessing him because it died was such an unexpected twist, and it opens up a LOT of interesting avenues for the future of this story! I am especially intrigued by Mewtwo's increasing boldness and decisions to strike pointedly when Comet is in a weak state 👀 Such great indirect characterization--you can really get a sense of Mewtwo's warped view of the world! I honestly have no idea how that plot line is going to ultimately resolve...I can't wait to know more!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
There's only one thing scarier than Mewtwo, ghost Mewtwo. With gained immunity to normal and fighting type moves, I just hope that Comet can successfully teach Mewtwo important life lessons such as don't murder my friends or possession and murder isn't the solution to all your problems.

Aw, Kestrelsight is being the cutest! Bringing her out was a smart move of Comet's part. Too bad the move ended up being practically useless. I swear the money's going to come in 2 months after Comet becomes champeon.
Also am I the only one who liked pokestar studios? The most annoying thing I remember about it is the limited saved movie slots.

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
@RubyClaw - Kalosian Hell is real and Comet has walked through it lol. And yeah it's a tough situation for everyone around. poor crazy kids.

@Trollkitten - Maybe the rest of this story is all just Comet's dying hallucinations as he bleeds out...

@Leon Yorunaki - Ah good, I'm glad you don't mind if the accuracy is a little wonky :) I think of this as a medical drama of sorts, like House or Grey's Anatomy. And damn when you break it down like that, Comet almost sounds unreasonable! And valid, everyone should always be worried about Comet ruining everything.

@bhelryss - I'm glad Moon came across well here- she really is a good leader and friend and I'm glad that's showing. Fingers crossed for Persian!!

@SayleeK - Heeey welcome to the mess!! Kessie and Phoe are the best and goodest girls and I'm glad you are enjoying them. Also your reaction to Comet is the correct one. I never gave a clear age because I really don't have one in my head lol I feel like, if this were a Pokemon game, he would be a teenager. But now that I'm in my late 20s I am looking back at all these shows I used to watch focusing on teenagers saving the worls and such and I can't help but to think 'what teenager wouldn't fail miserably at this?'. So maybe in RL he would be a young adult. Although he's not exactly doing stellar so maybe he is a teenager after all lol. And as much as I love writing Oak, there really is some suspension of disbelief required- the same suspension required to accept the logic of "let's give this 10-year-old a fire breathing monster and send them out in the wilderness unsupervised".

@Bowser's Family Vacation - Healthcare workers and sleep have a love hate relationship. Comet will also soon lose his sentience if he spends too long in Kalosian Hell. Omg inspiration porn, believe it or not, was actually a term I was taught in my Intro to Disabilities 100 college course. This was also the class where we had Person-First Language hammered into our heads, even for autistic people (I just recently learned that this is not the preferred term for the autistic community!). I might write a blog post about it one day.

@RisingMew -Hey, good to have you back around these parts! :) I'm glad you enjoyed catching up! The alolan Geodude was super fun both to play through in-game and write about in-story. Too bad she didn't have a better ending. And the topic of the lack of control healthcare workers feel when things like that happen is something I definitely wanted to explore so I'm glad you picked up on that! I'm so glad you're interested in Mewtwo and I can't wait to reveal all I have planned for that plot thread :)

@ACottontail - Those are excellent life lessons that we should all abide by, espeically powerful psychic felines! And that would exactly be Comet's luck: the money comes in once all disease has been cured of all Pokemon forever. And honestly the only reason why i didn't like Pokestar Studios was the forced tutorial and disruption to the main game. I honestly didn't think it was a bad mini game, I just wanted the game to let me do it on my terms!

Posting early since I will be camping this weekend!

Chapter 21

Fancy Kalosians be damned, Comet shoved through the crowd to get to Cat as quickly as possible. She started to speak, but Comet swept her up in a hug before she could say anything. Nearby Kalosians coughed gruffly and moved away from them, casting disapproving stares as they went.

“Cat, you have no idea how happy I am to see you,” said Comet, keeping hold of her shoulders, “Team Rocket is serious business now, and when I couldn’t find you after Cerulean I was afraid-”

Cat cut him off with a hearty laugh. If her appearance wasn’t enough to turn heads, her voice did the job just as well. “So you were worried about little ole me, huh?” Comet’s face reddened. “That’s sweet of you. But there’s no need. Those grunts are nothing but a bunch of blundering amateurs. Lace and I had no trouble holding our own against them.” Cat looked past Comet, where Kestrelsight stood watching them from the edge of the dancing crowd. “I see Kessie made it out okay.”

Comet’s smile broadened. She even remembered Kessie’s name. She really was perfect.

Cat laughed again, shaking her head. “Well, we look a little odd right now, don’t we? Standing stock still in the middle of the dance floor?”

Blush returning with a vengeance, Comet stammered, “Oh! Is that what you...I mean, do you want-”

Sparing him from finding the right words, Cat swept him up in a slow, swirling dance. At first, Comet could do nothing but stare at their feet in a desperate attempt to keep up with her steps. But Cat led well, and he was following the beat after only a minute or two.

“So…” she said as the song changed to something faster paced, “Did the Rockets hold you down and dye your hair black, or…?”

Comet nearly tripped over his own feet. He had forgotten she hadn’t seen his new disguise yet. “N-no,” he said, trying not to flush again, “But they did ask me to join their team.”

Cat’s face changed then, but Comet couldn’t quite read her expression. “What did you tell them?”

“Told them to fuck right off,” said Comet, leaning down as Cat lead him into a graceful dip. She exhaled, and cast her eyes to the floor. Comet was so busy studying how long her eyelashes were that he almost missed the disappointment in her features.

“Forgive me for saying so,” she said, “But that’s a shame.”

A pit formed in Comet’s belly. What did she mean by that? Does she sympathize with the Rockets, of all groups? Or was she...Comet couldn’t say it, couldn’t think it, couldn’t bring himself to even ask the questions swirling around in his mind. So he simply said, “I don’t understand.”

Cat sighed and spun out from his arms, keeping a tight hold on his hand. “I know it’s hard to believe, but Team Rocket is actually pursuing quite a noble cause, even if they don’t quite realize it.”

Suddenly, Comet wished very much that these dances didn’t involve so much twirling. He tried to keep his voice steady, but some heat leaked out despite his efforts, “I have a hard time seeing what’s so ‘noble’ about raiding a city and stealing people’s Pokemon.”

Cat met his eyes steadily. “Were your Pokemon stolen?”

“No.”

“Were my Pokemon stolen?”

“I don’t know where you’re-”

“What do you think the difference is, Comet?” she asked, her voice gaining intensity. “Between us and them? Why did we succeed when so many others fell to the Rockets?” When he hesitated, she continued. “It’s because we’re competent. We won’t just roll over and give up when things get hard. We as a people have forgotten what it means to be a Pokemon trainer. Pokemon are dangerous, magnificent, powerful creatures. If we can’t be the same in return, is it really even a partnership? The fact of the matter is, Comet, that most people don’t deserve to have Pokemon. All Team Rocket is doing is trimming the dead weight. Those who deserve their Pokemon will keep them in the end, and they will all have proved their worth.”

The music swelled as Comet tried to untangle his own thoughts. He wanted to stop dancing, but he knew he would be running for the ship’s deck as fast as his legs would carry him if he did. “That all sounds good in theory,” he said, voice hoarse, “But Team Rocket doesn’t fight fair.”

Suddenly, Cat lurched forward. Comet found himself with both arms pinned behind his back as Cat leaned over his body, her teeth on his neck and her knee between his legs. For all anyone around them could tell, it was just part of the dance.

Releasing his throat, Cat looked up at him and smiled. She left her arms and her knee where they were. “In the kind of world we live in, you have to be prepared for anything. If you expect everyone to fight fair, you’ll have some very unpleasant surprises coming your way. I am always ready to strike to protect my Pokemon.”

Comet pulled away, and she released him. He half expected the music to stop with them, but on it went, and the Kalosians danced around them with barely a glance. Planting his feet so that he wouldn’t run, Comet took a few deep breaths before saying, “You’re one of them, aren’t you? You’re a grunt.”

Cat threw back her head and laughed. “A grunt! Oh, of course not. I barely want to associate with those braindead clones.”

“But you are one of them. Is Cat even your real name?”

“Is Comet yours?”

That was when he broke eye contact to stare at the floor. Anger and shame twisted his stomach into knots, and he clenched his fists to ease the discomfort.

“Think back to that day, Comet,” Cat said softly. It was the first time he had heard her deliberately quiet her voice. “When Mewtwo escaped. So many people running. Running. They ran and hid while you fought and your Pokemon died. Not a one raised a hand to help you. So why hinder yourself for them? Why lower yourself to their level? Leave the masses behind, the ‘innocent’ public, like they left you. I’m on your side, Comet. I know Team Rocket’s mission isn’t ideal, but it’s changing. That I can promise you. Team Rocket is evolving into something great. Please. Be a part of it with me.”

He wouldn’t look at her. He wouldn’t look at her because he almost thought she was right. The Kanto Bough didn’t want him anymore, so where did he belong? Moon, Cadence, Professor Oak...they were all going to forget about him. He would be completely alone.

Then, he looked back at Kessie. She was still standing at the edge of the dance floor, staring at them with her big bug eyes. The red crest at the top of her head perked up when she saw him looking at her, and she fidgeted from one foot to the next.

Comet inhaled deeply and turned back to Cat. “Kessie’s trainer was killed by Rockets. They were never that ruthless before. Hell, they were practically a joke and now the Kanto Bough is completely tied up with chasing them around half the time. I think I see the kind of monster you want Team Rocket to evolve into, and I don’t want any part of it. No deal.”

Something flashed in Cat’s blue eyes that Comet couldn’t quite read. The only thing he knew was that all the relaxed humor had gone from her face, and it turned her beauty into something cold. Remote. Alien. “That’s a shame,” she said. The quieter her voice grew, the more threatening it became. “It’s a foolish thing, to make an enemy of me. Best we not cross paths again, except to tell me you’ve come to your senses. I really did like you, Comet’s Fury.”

The song came to an end. Kalosians knelt before each other, one partner on a knee presenting a hand. The other partner, still standing, bend down and kissed the offered knuckles.

Cat offered her left hand, and Comet was sure his eyes were going to pop out of his head. On her fourth finger was the biggest diamond ring he had ever seen in his entire life. Another ring just below it was studded with a myriad of precious gems, all inlaid in a fine gold band. Comet bent down, covered her hand in his, and pressed his mouth against the top of his own hand. To anyone watching, it looked just like the rest of the dancers.

If the gesture bothered her, Cat didn’t let it show. She started to walk away, but turned to look over her shoulder after a few steps. “Oh, and tell your little Bough friend there’s no need to thank me. There was an attack planned tonight but I thought it would be best to...clear our schedule so we can have this little chat. I escorted all the grunts off the ship.” That smug, easy smile was back again. “I’m nearly certain they can swim.”

If you ever loved somebody put your hands up
If you ever loved somebody put your hands up
And now they’re gone and you’re wishing you could give them everything

That was where Moon found Comet- sitting at the edge of the deck with his feet dangling over the edge, hands straight up in the air, with a look of pure bleakness on his face.

“I thought classic rock was your genre,” she said, and Comet nearly slid under the deck rail in his hasty attempt to turn around.

“I, uh, listen to Nelly when I’m sad.”

“What happened?” Moon asked.

Comet sighed and turned his attention back to the sea. Moon was probably the exact last person he wanted to talk to about this, but he was too weary to lie or put up a fight. “I found the girl I was looking for back in Cerulean. It...didn’t work out between us. And I know you and Cadence think I’m crazy because I always develop feelings so fast. But this time I really thought she liked me. It’s just...with everything that’s going on, I really need someone who’s on my side. Or else I’ll be completely alone.”

Carefully removing her high heels, Moon joined Comet at the edge of the boat. “Listen,” she said softly, “I’m sorry if being apart from the Kanto Bough makes you feel that way. That conversation was hard for me too. But just because you’re not on the Bough doesn’t mean we have to stop being friends.”

Comet kept his eyes on the water. “How could you possibly want to be friends with me after all this?”

Moon put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed. “Easy. You’re a really good guy, Comet. You’re a ton of fun to be around. Nobody’s more ready to have my back in a fight. And you feel everything harder than anyone I’ve ever met. And I know that last part sucks sometimes, but it’s a good thing too. And if she didn’t appreciate any of that, I say you’re better off.”

After what seemed like a nonstop stream of reminders of his failures and mistakes, Moon’s words were like ice water in a drought. He’d grown so used to the disappointment and disdain from everyone around him that it was almost a shock to hear something kind. Comet wasn’t sure if he fully believed that they really would remain friends if he wasn’t on the Bough, but it felt good to hope. He turned around to Moon and smiled. “You remember the day I caught Goldenflame?”

She laughed, and there was relief in her mirth. All the tension between them dissipated. “How could I forget?”

“I was such an idiot back then,” he said, shaking his head, “I was so determined to get you to like me, and I was so fucking clueless. I just didn’t get it.”

“Yeah,” she said, letting a playful edge slip into her voice, “And then you had the balls to tell me I was lying to spare your feelings.”

Comet put on an exaggerated, low voice, “‘It’s not that you don’t like romantic relationships. You just don’t want one with me but you’re too afraid to come out and say it’. Arceus, I could cringe just thinking about it.”

“Ooh, was I furious with you.”

“I really don’t think you would have ever spoken to me again if I didn’t catch Goldie.”

“Well, how could you not be hyped when your best friend catches a shiny Growlithe?!”

Comet’s hand went to his necklace, running his finger across the scale and through the fur. But, for once, the motion was accompanied by fondness rather than longing. “I thought I was gonna blow out the speakers on your Xtransceiver when I called you.”

“Completely forgot I was even mad at you.”

Comet thought about that and frowned. “We never really did talk about that again, did we? I never really apologized.”

Moon’s brow furrowed. “I guess not. But it’s really not important now.”

“Yes it is,” said Comet firmly, “I should have respected your preferences. I’m sorry I was such an ignorant ass.”

Moon stood up then and smoothed the front of her dress. “Alright, I forgive you. Now let’s get out of this place. This whole mission was a bust. I didn’t see a single sign of Team Rocket anywhere. You didn’t happen to notice anything suspicious, did you?”

Comet swallowed. Moon really should know about Cat. But Cat did stop the Rocket grunts from carrying out whatever they had planned… by throwing them overboard apparently, but that was beside the point. If Cat had wanted to hurt someone today, she could have. What has to happen to a person to make them start thinking the way Cat did? It was her against the world. And if Comet didn’t have Moon and Cadence, he wasn’t sure how much would separate him from Cat. Maybe there was hope for her yet. Maybe he could get through to her, if she let him.

So Comet said, “No, I didn’t notice anything”. And they left together.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
ohhhhhhh snap

for some reason i wasn't expecting cat to straight up be rocket....i can understand her perspective but it's so damn cold

actually, this is lgp, right? j...essie????

"is comet yours" i mean, kind of. changing your name socially is one of the things trans people do when they aren't able to do it legally yet/at all. is cat a codename? or is it her the way that comet is comet

being on the outside of things is painful, i sympathize with comet....but i don't think he'll be alone, he just has to have faith in his friends

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Legends: Arceus
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Ahh, so that's Cat's deal. I kinda assumed as much, especially after rereading the early chapters of THO, but it was still immensely interesting to get some confirmation and a look at Cat's motives 👀 I was especially intrigued by the implication that Cat might even be partially behind the shift in Team Rocket's method of operations--what a tough pill for Comet to have to swallow! His conversation with Moon after the fact was a nice balm for the discovery of Cat's true nature, though, and it was really cool to see him be a little vulnerable and not just bottle up his feelings! That's character development right there :D

I will be VERY interested to see how this plot point develops in the coming chapters! This certainly isn't the last we'll hear of Cat, and I'm keen to see if Comet will succeed in his mission to "redeem" her :0

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Hmm, that makes a lot of sense. Good to see Comet is still idealistic even with his back against the wall, it seems so easy to just say "screw it, nobody appreciates me beside this extremely beautiful girl" and join a supposedly "different vision of Team Rocket", perhaps even lie to yourself that is the "good thing" to do. I also loved Cat's speech, a well written antagonist should have a base of truth to their cause mixed with lies and selfishness, and I think this fits this description well. True, the problem exist and perhaps people are not talking about it enough, but does your solution solve it or just make it worse? Are there other ways to change things for the better?

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Ah... Cat's a libertarian, then. She wants to let the free market sort it all out

Comet's wee convo with Moon was so sweet, especially his apology... the boy knows who his real friends are <3

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Ahh Comet no. Comet is way to love struck for his own good. Not telling Moon about Cat is going to backfire horribly. Helping someone who believes in social darwinism rarely ends well. She says team rocket is noble for weeding away weaker trainers, but what about all those weaker pokemon that team rocket attacks? Kessie was hurt by rocket, and they have no doubt poached pokemon before. Heck, the pokemon Comet has now would mostly be dead if it weren't for him looking out for them and helping them get better. I feel like Cat doesn't understand Magikarp, just because someone starts out weak doesn't mean they can't become strong and competent. I swear, she would love the MMO where the level 90 players spawn kill newbies all day, then call the newbies incompetent despite not even getting a chance to play the game.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
Comet: "I can fix her!" (And remembering a Pokemon's name!? That's all it takes to be "perfect" to you, Comet? 😭 ) Boi, you can't manage this situation all on your own.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Instructions, from Moon to Comet: Apply cold water to burnt areas. And then she proceeded to dump an ice bucket on top of his head.

Now I remember Cat. And I'm not proud about having forgotten that girl. Way to crush our boy's feelings, right? But fret you not, because we have Backstory:TM: to fix all the damages she caused, isn't that lovely? Moon is too pure for this world and it shows. No wonder she's still sided with Comet despite being in the Bough while he's not anymore. This is power of friendship cranked up to 12 and I love it.

But... goddamn Comet, is it too hard to spend a SINGLE. FREAKING. CHAPTER. without taking bad decisions? Two times in a row letting Moon stare at the dark side? Geez, how can you be so bleak, Comet's Fury?

Users who are viewing this thread