• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

What rulesets should I use for my accompanying SSWL run?

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke combination

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Naturelocke only (Maybe with monotype rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Doc-locke only (maybe with lorelocke rules)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Naturelocke/Doc-locke/Lorelocke monstrosity

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
The dramatic retelling of my Let's Go Pikachu playthrough with Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets.

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Congratulations on the gold medal for this run and the silver for Comet! Despite his flaws, he's a protagonist with potential.

That being said, this chapter does a good job of reminding us of those flaws. He has a habit of running away from or avoiding that which is difficult for him, whether it be Bravewhisker's questions about Mewtwo or Phoenixfall's advice to talk to Spikepelt (also, great response for the latter: "hey, why can't you be more like my dead other Gyarados?"). I'm still holding my breath waiting for the moment when reality slams into him in a way that he can't continue running away.

Also, he would be the kind of person to listen to Eye of the Tiger all the time. Not that that's a flaw—that's just what I thought when he started playing it.

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
cracks knuckles It is time…… to B I N G E

So like I said, yeah, this has been on my radar for legitimately. months now. But no time like the present, I’m determined to catch up, and hhhhhh oh I’m so glad I did! I shouldn’t be surprised that it’s living up to the hype but dang, it really is though.

Out of the gate, no punches pulled, Comet’s getting put through the wringer. I understand that - what happened - was very bad, and that he played a large part in it, but he also lost a lot because of it and he’d be dealing with a LOT even before piling four months of physical labor, a new slew of responsibilities job that he can’t turn down, citywide scorn, and strained friendships on him. Poor guy needs a break.

And I mean, I feel obligated to say this as someone in the business of Animal Care™, but especially at first, it didn’t really... sit right with me, throwing someone with Comet’s lack of experience into this position and making him responsible for so many Pokemon’s lives, especially with some of them being in such serious conditions. As in, it doesn’t seem fair to them that their lives are being trusted to someone who could (though that would be a jerk move for sure) just bumble around the clinic doing the bare minimum and leave them to rot, especially considering the lack of real supervision. But on the other hand, I’m sure you’re aware of that, being in the medical field; and I recognize that the story wouldn’t be what it is without these circumstances, so I’ll let it fly of course. Just. If that hasn’t been said before, now it has.

Anyway! Fair warning, I got very carried away with this.

The Professor smiled warmly. Even under less than pleasant circumstances, it didn’t take much to brighten the Professor’s mood. Comet had always loved that about him. A dull ache pulsed through him that had nothing to do with his tired muscles. Things would never be the same again, he just knew it.
Underrated thing: Comet’s relationship with Oak, and how much more positive it is than at first glance. You can tell he has a lot of respect for the professor, wanting to do well by him not out of intimidation or spite but to make him proud, and that’s adorable, yo.
Wordlessly, the professor punched in the code to the door. Each letter was a twist in Comet’s guts. His real name. No-the name his parents gave him. His real name was Comet’s Fury. A warrior’s name. One he gave himself.
Comet 🤝 Queeje 🤝 Taz
“Say my first name, get punched”

...Though, knowing how the Kanto Bough codenames work, I wonder what Moon’s, Cadence’s, and Steel’s full names are?
Well, he didn’t say those words out loud, but Comet knew what he meant plain as if the little mouse had written it down and mailed it to him. People think that Pokemon can’t talk. Comet knew better. A Pokemon’s vocalizations, their body language, their eyes… if you just took the time to watch and listen carefully, it’s easy to understand what they’re trying to say. He was surprised more people hadn’t figured that out. Sometimes it takes a little while to get to know the Pokemon first before their language can be deciphered, but Pikachu was clear as a bell.
Oooooh I love the implications of this. It doesn’t label Comet as a chosen one the way plenty of nuzprotags who can understand Pokemon are, but it does allow entertaining dialogue between trainer and team. Plus shows how long Comet has been around Pokemon/how seriously he takes their feelings, which is great, and reminds me a lot of N. But it ALSO also opens up a lot of potential for reading between the lines - like, do we assume Comet is being a reliable translator, or is he just hearing what he wants? Certain moments in specific really get me wondering about that. That is JUICY.
Moon laughed. “Hey, maybe with enough work, you can start looking like your idol.”

“Red is not my idol,” Comet stammered, his face flushing, “I just like to watch his matches, that’s all. There’s no doubt the guy was the best. Oak knows how to pick ‘em.”
Aww, even Comet’s Fury looks up to someone~
Cadence stared after her for a moment, and then glanced at Comet. They frantically looked back and forth between the two like they were being pulled in two different directions, eyes filling with tears. Finally they said, “I’m sorry, Comet!” and ran off after Moon.
Oof :( Honestly I feel worst for Cadence in this situation. Having to choose between their friends like that...

But also, appreciate the effort to establish these three with distinct personalities and appearances. A lovely touch, and getting to see little bits of what Comet’s life was like before, juxtaposed with what he’s up to now... that’s so bittersweet.
A sigh escaped the little mouse and he carefully placed his bell back in the bucket. He turned to Comet and pointed a stubby finger at him. “Just this once, and for the clinic! After that, donations only!”
Riiiight, suuuure, oooonce.
“Okay here it is,” Comet clapped again, standing up and spinning in a circle. When he turned back around, his finger was pointing at Pikachu. “Your name is now...Bravewhisker.”

Bravewhisker could do nothing but stare and cough.
I know, I know, Nuzlocke rules, uhuh uhuh. But like. hmmmm. I feel like this went over a little too quickly? Poor guy has lived most of his lifespan as Pikachu, loses his human, has to follow around the person [partially] responsible for that loss, then out of nowhere gets diagnosed with Warrior Cat and is expected to respond to something this kid made up on the spot - and to accommodate his sudden role as a fighter, no less, which he is. less than suited for. I dunno, I’d be more annoyed by it if that were me; but I guess we can chalk it up to “old man humors child.”
Comet smacked his forehead. “It’s not much to work with, but it’ll have to do. Okay, Nidoran, by virtue of you being the only Pokemon here who has moved more than two inches in the past 4 hours since I started here, you’re our second warrior.”

The Nidoran scratched behind his ear.

“Good. Glad that’s settled.” Comet said flatly. “Now, you’re gonna need an extra badass warrior name because you’re eventually gonna be really cool. So from now on, you’re going to be...Spikepelt.”

Spikepelt looked at Comet and sneezed.
I love Spikepelt. He is so tiny. So sassy. What a lad. Every scene with him is just a joy.
First, we have Bravewhisker the Pikachu.
He has a Modest nature
...Modest Pika??? Lesgo????
Heeding Oak’s warning on the Pikachu’s poor endurance, Comet never let him battle for too long without a break to let the two younger teammates have a turn.
I couldn’t even remember which ruleset this was a result of, and I’m reminded how absolutely bonkers this must have been to play. If I haven’t said it yet, you’re insane, but good on ya!
Steel laughed- it was a humorless sound, and he didn’t smile while he did it. He hardly ever smiled at all. “I don’t think that will be necessary. It’s going to be much more satisfying when you eventually fail and have to tell the professor yourself.”
So. Steel. Real piece of work, huh

I do wonder what his main beef is with - well, Comet, but also everybody. Why he’s like... that. Certainly doesn’t come off as a team player, which strikes me as a liability in terms of his usefulness in the Kanto Bough. I am concerned for what he’s going to bring later on, but also intrigued.
“The name of the game is Double Kick,” chanted Comet for what felt like the twentieth time, slapping the back of one hand against the other palm to enunciate each word. “The name of the game is Double Kick. What’s the name of the game, Spikepelt?”
I love Spikepelt. And I’m starting to see why you like the naturelocke rules so much - their personalities are built into the gameplay, and once the story catches up to where they can start overcoming their nature rules, it’s going to be so satisfying to see that growth!
Comet punched in a few buttons on his Xtransceiver. A clapping drum beat pulsed through its speakers as the intro of “We Will Rock You” by Queen started to play. Spikepelt’s ears pricked up and he started to bob awkwardly to the beat.
Beautiful tone-setting, beautiful pun, I love this
He looked at the grant, and he relaxed slightly. It wasn’t a fortune by any means, but it was way more than he was getting in donations and fighting random trainers. In fact, it was about as much as he made in his whole first day combined. More than enough to buy Pidgey’s insulin.
And whew, what a reason to do more gyms! Although if he is really serious about this, I wonder if it’s a good idea to continue battling with Pokemon who are already medically compromised. If he’s willing to train a new team from the ground up, and nothing’s stopping him from going out and catching less - delicate specimens, I mean.

(I mean the doclocke rules are what’s stopping him, ya, but still)
But as soon as Comet lifted his foot, Spikepelt took off out into the hallway, paws scrambling wildly on the tile ground.
I LOVE SPIKEPELT <3
What an absolute puppy
“My dad’s not here,” muttered Comet, “Doesn’t like me anymore…”
Oh???
The creature screamed, though Comet could not hear it through the door. Thrashing piteously, it slammed its tail up against the inside of the tank, but to no avail. Wires attached to electrodes covered the creature’s body and seemed to be sending a current of some kind. With each pulse from the wires, the Pokemon writhed and its mouth opened in a soundless wail.

Then, the current stopped. The Pokemon hung limply in its suspension in the tank, panting heavily. Finally, it regained enough of its strength to pick its head up…

And look right into Comet’s eyes.
WOW that is eerie, Mewtwo’s in so much pain. Would like to point out though that Comet’s steadfast insistence to help Mewtwo, no matter how impulsive it was, tells a bit about his personality. He didn’t do this because he thought it would be fun, or wanted to cause havoc, or wanted to fight (although that was true) - his main motivator was Mewtwo’s wellbeing. A good quality to have for someone in medicine, at least.
“You know what happens next, boy. You’ve seen what power I hold. What power we can hold. Surrender to me. There’s no need to fight it. Surrender!”
So Mewtwo wants... a willing vessel? For... something? I’m guessing this will be clarified in time, but for now, wooooowwww this chapter sure was a thing huh
He looked down at the sturdy blue scales beneath him. Waterfall. He was riding on Waterfall. His first ever Pokemon, the mighty Gyarados who got him through thick and thin.
O.O Gyarados starter??? That’s so unique, so Comet, so awesome - I mean uh, utterly heartbreaking,
I don’t want to see this!

"You will watch!"
Mewtwo why... he helped you... T.T
Waterfall soared through the air like a massive blue ribbon rippling in the wind. Then he started to fall…

Let me close my eyes.

"YOU WILL WATCH!"

….and crashed right through the roof of the Pokémon Center.

The water surrounding Mewtwo lost its shape and sloshed loosely into the ground. It stood up, violet fury blazing in its eyes, and lifted its hand again. Waterfall floated back up through the Center’s roof, his body hanging limply in an upside down ‘U’ shape. With another jerk of its hand, Mewtwo slammed him back to the ground. When Mewtwo raised its hand again, Waterfall came up dripping blood.
Absolutely heart-rending descriptions. Dang. A Gyarados. So huge, immensely powerful, offed like that. Thank you Mewtwo for being terrifying. Man. Makes it so much sadder to see Comet shunned for the center being destroyed when he’s already dealing with watching his best friend being destroyed. Absolutely horrifying.
Comet abruptly realized that his headache had a soundtrack. A long, uninterrupted beep rang out in a mild wail.

“Shut that off,” Comet muttered, swaying to his feet, “I had the most horrific dream and I feel like-”

He stopped short, noticing the graveness on Bravewhisker’s face for the first time. All at once, he realized what that droning beep meant. The wall of monitor screens stared back at him. One of them had turned grey, and the heart monitor was a cruel, straight line.

It was Metapod.
And then this ending waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh??? im bawling

Give Comet a break 2022

Anyway, I have to go work now, but I'll be back with the rest of my thoughts tonight! TL;DR: WOW THIS IS SOMETHING HUH

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
I return! And I apologize in advance for these comments being, probably, the most per capita use of caps-lock I've done in a while.

They buried Metapod in a quiet corner of Viridian Forest.

Nobody said any words- there really weren’t any words to say. Metapod hadn’t been a member of the battling team, hadn’t been the most outgoing member of the clinic Pokemon either. No one knew him well enough to know what to say.
Man, poor Metapod. Barely knew ye. I understand why Comet had to take the risk, but oh no, the timing of that RNG though. Brutal. And like, the conflicted feelings Comet has about this are so palpable - yeah, most of the Caterpie and Metapod in the forest are probably stepped on or eaten before fully evolving, but this one was Comet’s. Perfect execution on the first death, being a character we weren’t super attached to, one that didn’t have much hope from the start, but whose loss and the timing thereof gives us just enough grief to get a taste of the stakes here. Poetic. Fantastically done.

Then,
For a moment, all Spikepelt’s signals- his body language, his eyes, his low mewling cries- almost turned into an apology. But then his eyes closed, his ears flattened, and he said clear as day, “It wasn’t my fault. It was an accident.”
OWWW???? OUCH??? OWWWWWWWW
The Joy blinked, her brow furrowing, before she continued in a tight voice. “I have two euthanasias for you.”
Well! You have the bedside manner of a truck driver, don't you!

But real talk, since this is the scene for it: seconding everyone else who feels torn between Gale and Comet here. Euthanasia is a heavy thing. Animal death (tw I guess) is never a fun topic. I currently work at a small chain pet store, and while it is usually a fun job - don’t get me wrong! - it’s surprising how desensitized it gets you to animal loss. Between people returning items they never used because their pet passed before they could; occasionally discovering hamsters that are, um, less than conscious; and removing tens of dead feeder fish and crickets from their tanks every morning... Soooo many fish... I mean, my situation is far tamer than a vet’s, of course, but that conversation with Gale and Comet’s obvious lack of experience dealing with that really struck a chord with me. Made me realize, even if I agree with Comet here, how the experience changed my perception of the topic. Hot dang.

And coming so soon after we see the experience he DOES have with Pokemon death makes his insistence make even more sense, and hurt even more to read. Oof.
“Uh…” Comet glanced back at the Spearow and Abra huddled on the exam table. “I think I can handle it.”

“Excellent! I will send her over to the clinic in a little while.”

“Okay. Also, how do you treat cancer?”

“...Cancer?! Wh-why would you need to know tha-”

“Oh and stage 4 heart failure.”
And I know this is a pretty breadthy tonal swing but this exchange is so funny
Comet’s jaw hung open. Oak was on his side? Then he thought about it and shook his head with a small, sad smile. Of course he was on his side. It was easy to forget with all the recent friction between them, but Professor Oak was a good man. All his research, his founding of the Kanto Bough, every action he took was for the benefit of people and Pokemon alike. And Comet wanted so, so badly to work for him again.
Comet’s genuine respect for Oak my beloved
If by some miracle of Arceus this team makes it to the League, Comet thought to himself, they would shut down the whole operation out of sheer embarrassment.
I love this final line~

Oh and let it be known that I did not end up reading the spoilers for Spearow and Abra, but judging from everyone else’s responses, I am scared.
The Magikarp was a female, and a lot older than Waterfall was-maybe even older than Bravewhisker. But that didn’t stop the feeling of sheer joy that bloomed within him. It was like he was starting over again. Just like the old days.
Gaaaaassssssssssppppp
Fish love <333

Gotta love the wholesomeness of boy and his fish stories, though I was a bit taken aback by this? I would have expected this to be more painful than relieving; as if Phoenix was just a replacement for what Comet lost, like a reminder of what happened and the guilt that Comet’s been burying, especially with a name like that. Not that! Not that I’m complaining about him finding joy in something! It’s still very wholesome; it just wasn’t what I expected.

Please don’t let Phoenixfall die.
The Magikarp obliged his gesture, brushing her scales gently against his finger. “This friend must have been very important to you if you would adorn yourself with their scale. I am honored to have been purchased by such a loyal trainer.”
Oh, this was one of the instances where I had to wonder if Comet was just hearing what he wanted - reading Magikarp’s body language in a way that absolves him of the past, of the purchase, of his insecurity as a trainer. Or maybe Phoenix is just the best thing that’s happened to him over the last day and a half. Either way’s good!
Spikepelt tottered out from behind the stand, looking smug. Greasy fell over on his side and moaned.
I. Love. Spikepelt.

What a greasy sleazebag though >:(((
Comet laughed. “Oh, lighten up, BW. He’ll be fine. He’s just gonna puke a couple times and maybe have some traumatizing hallucinations from his checkered past like I did.”
Thanks for that.
“Oh, for the love of Mew, who are we punching now?!”
Sidenote, say what you will about invoking the names of Mew/Arceus/whoever else as expletives; like, specifically bringing up Mew around Comet makes me wonder if he’s made the connection to what exactly Mewtwo is, and if he realizes what his connection to Mewtwo means in terms of his connection (whatever it is) to Mew itself. I don’t expect an answer to that anytime soon, but it would be cool to explore.
Bravewhisker cleared his throat. “Pretty suspicious if you ask me. I say we direct her back the way we came and have her find some help at the Pokemon Center, right?” He looked up at Comet, and his tail and ears promptly drooped in exasperation. “Aaaand we have literal Luvdisc eyes. Arceus help us all.”
Yep I don’t trust Cat at all but you do you, Comet.
Comet turned around and winked at Bravewhisker, wagging his eyebrows up and down. The disgust in the Pikachu’s gaze was palpable.
Comet ily but you can be so punchable sometimes.
Bravewhisker’s ear twitched. “You do realize BW isn’t really ‘short’? It’s more syllables than just saying Bravewisker.”

Comet’s brow furrowed, and he tried to discreetly count with his fingers on the hand that was under Kessie.
THANK YOU, this is what I’ve been thinking this whole time, and why I’ve been reading ‘BW’ as ‘B-dubs’ in my head, although that makes him sound like a certain sports bar. (it was either that or BlackWhite because. Unova. and that’s way besides the point)
I can help you, Comet's Fury. You only have to surrender...
I mean Mewtwo’s put Comet through a lot but at least it’s not deadnaming him

But also, what,,, is actually goin on here,, I don’t really understand what Mewtwo wants, or why/how/if it’s helping him, but for now I’ll be grateful for the ex machina I guess
With a satisfied smirk, Cat returned her Pokemon as soon as the screams had died down enough for her liking. “Sorry I held back so long. I knew you had it under control with just the two of them, but I didn’t realize they would have reinforcements… Those squirming pathetic rats.”
I still have no idea what I want to make of Cat, except for that I trust her exactly 0%.
“Don’t be ashamed,” she said, her blue eyes blazing fiercely, “I think you did the right thing.”

Comet nearly tripped in his shock. “You do?”

“Yes. That Pokemon was suffering, and you were the only one with the balls to do something about it. Those scientists deserved what they got. Sure, what happened in Viridian was sad, but how were you supposed to know Mewtwo would react that way? Why were you punished for an accident while you were just trying to save a Pokemon? I just don’t see how it was your fault.”
...Although Comet needed this, to be fair.
Lysandre. Comet’s greatest achievement. He could have beamed just thinking about it. Waterfall taking on his Mega Gyarados. Goldenflame taking on his Pyroar. If Comet and his team hadn’t been there to stop Team Flare, who knows what could have happened? Those were the days. He didn’t think anyone remembered anything he did before the accident in Viridian. Not even his friends. Not even Oak.
Comet and co stopped Lysandre?? 👀
They emerged from Mt. Moon and descended on Cerulean City…

...Which had been completely overrun by Team Rocket.
oh no.
Comet’s smile turned into a grimace. “Are we really doing this right now?”

In answer, Steel activated one of the Poke Balls at his belt. An Oddish emerged, rustling its leaves in eagerness for a fight.

“Don’t you think there’s more important things to be worrying about right now with all this chaos?”
Ok, I could see a confrontation like this making more sense if it was (at least, more overtly) like, Steel realizing that Comet’s presence would ultimately slow down the rest of the Kanto Bough, and taking it upon himself to occupy Comet the only way he knows will work; idk if that’s the implication, though, so I’m calling Steel out on this decision anyway. Not a great move.

Also, the whole city huh. Here I was hoping that Team Rocket might not be a huge problem in this run to give the medical drama more focus, but Comet’s not allowed to have an easy time ig and that’s very Nuzlocke of him. Now’s also a good time to bring up how absolutely concerned I am about the potential death count in this run, knowing that doclocke rules can kill a mon that’s never even been in combat, and that naturelocke rules can only make combat that much deadlier, and that a LGPE run without grinding is already pretty deathy without added rules... And Comet’s going to have to deal with all of it. Fear. I’m in fear.
“Black.”

“...Really?” Cadence asked incredulously.

“Black like my soul.”
ALDKFJMSDFJH YES COMET
Back at the clinic, Comet opened the catalogue, glanced at the prices of Magikarp-sized fish tanks, and gently laid himself on the exam room floor with a medical textbook draped over his head.
Pet store sidenote: a thought I very frequently have is how much more work it would take to maintain an aquarium in the Pokemon world. Like, a single Magikarp is almost three feet long. Realistically you’d need nothing short of a swimming pool-sized tank to give that guy a life that isn’t wrought with confinement and misery. Even Wishiwashi, which is I think the smallest fish Pokemon off the top of my head? is longer than my hand. If I was as crazy dedicated to ruleset-crafting as you, I could think about a run with the stipulations of taking care of Pokemon as pets. And it would be expensive.
Comet stared at Bravewhisker carefully. He seemed to be pretty well-rested after the earlier excitement; his breathing had calmed down and he was moving much easier. But Comet remembered how he was that morning, struggling just to inhale and exhale before he upped the dose of his medicine. They should wait until tomorrow, Comet knew. They had been through so much in just one day, and the last thing they needed was another gym battle on top of it.

...But what would one more day mean for Bravewhisker? Would he be able to battle? Would he even be alive?
Also, haven’t said it yet, but I like Bravewhisker and I will be openly weeping the moment something happens to him and it will be my fault for getting attached because it’s not like you didn’t warn us but. Don’t make me think about this please T.T
The trajectory of the rest of Comet’s evening depended entirely upon which Officer Jenny was currently standing in the Pokemon Center lobby.

In a dark period of Comet’s life, maybe nearly as dark as the period he was in at present, he had become very familiar with the various Jennys that patrolled ‘the Diamond’- or the four towns surrounding Saffron City. It was a long time ago, way back before he had caught Goldenflame and when Waterfall was still a Magikarp, but Comet still remembered each officer vividly. Although they all looked alike, Comet could tell them apart by the last number on their badges.
I love this whole segment! It gives so much character both to Comet and the Jennys, to have them entirely identical in appearance but unique in their own ways; and then for Comet to know which is which by name number as a result of his own chaotic nature - it’s so good.
The door to the clinic waited open for him. Bravewhisker had gone to Comet’s bedroom since he could not join the other Pokemon in their safety corner. Comet knelt before the threshold, sweat trickling down from his forehead. He whispered to the Poke Ball, “Please don’t blow up,” before gently rolling it across the threshold, bowling ball style.

As soon as the ball passed through the door, it opened to reveal the Alolan Geodude. Comet closed his eyes tight, cringing deeply with his fingers in his ears. When he didn’t feel an explosion, he slowly opened his eyes and pulled out his fingers. All he heard was the standard Geodude cry.

“Okay, we’re all still more or less alive. Time for step two.”

Slowly, carefully, Comet approached the generator on the exam table and grabbed the conductor cables. He turned to look at his newest patient. Sparks were pouring out of the black antennas at the top of the Geodude’s head. She let out a groaning growl and rubbed furiously at her eyes, making the sparks scatter like a fountain.

Trying not to gag out of sheer fear, Comet lifted his eyes skyward as he knelt with cables extended in his hands, and began to pray.
And I love love love the writing leading up to the Geodude’s treatment. Like, more adrenaline is the last thing Comet needs today, but the tension - especially in these few paras - is GREAT.
“...So you’re not gonna explode?”

With a vacant smile, the Geodude said, “Not until later.”

“Okay goo-wait, what?”
That’s! Promising!! I guess!!!
“My little Cadencia!”, she crowed in a thick Hoennese accent.

Cadence flushed and managed to get out a weak, “Hola Mama,” before they were interrupted.
...Hoenn as a hispanic country? 👀
Mama Maria looked like she had just been slapped. “WHAT?! Black?! Cometito...please tell me you aren’t changing your beautiful yellow hair. Young men would kill to have hair that color, and here you squander it!”
DKFASHFAS That hits close to home. I’ve never dyed my hair and never actually been serious about wanting to, but this is the exact thing I’m told by every hairstylist that I’ve ever seen, verbatim except for the ‘young men’ part.
“Ay, Kyogre… Do not change the subject, Densi, I will deal with him and his moon eyes later-”
moon eyes... Moon eyes..?
She got to her feet, trotted over, and hopped right into his lap. Comet couldn’t help but to jerk in surprise. Cadence let out a sigh and started rubbing Comet’s forehead with a towel. Gently scratching Kestrelsight’s neck feathers, Comet watched in bewilderment as she slowly started to settle down and fall asleep in his lap. He turned around to look at Cadence. “Are you seeing this?”
ad;fjdfrjh CUTE
Okay, y'all, this is hilarious.

Shades and I are moving to a new apartment this week and while cleaning out my stuff, I found a folder full of handwritten papers from my elementary school days. And I found this gem:
Oh that is absolutely precious but also hysterical, what a find.
The song Comet had chosen for the battle with Misty was fitting- Bravewhisker had ‘smoked’ Misty’s water types with Zap Tackle in a matter of minutes. That had been their plan, after all.
Whew, glad the Gym of all things went over easily! Comet reeeally needs that funding. Though I am surprised at Misty’s general lack of concern, or at least acknowledgement, about what’s goin on in her city atm? I wouldn’t even expect the Gym to be open if Cerulean’s situation was still that bad, which I guess means that the Kanto Bough works fast. Or really that Moon works fast, since Steel is an egotistical idiot, Cadence is helping Comet, and Comet is Cometing.
He tried to formulate a semi-normal goodbye to Misty, but all that came out was, “Bed.”

“That’s...probably a good idea,” she said, her expression full of concern.

He held up a hand. Knowing his mouth needed to say words to alleviate her worries, Comet said, “Thank you. Bed.” before stumbling out the door.
LAKJRFHLAJDFGH AKDJFALJHGA HDAFJG AHAHAHAHA
I’M DYING THANKS
10/10 DELIVERY, 11/10 RECOVERY, please go sleep now
He threw himself forward, clutching his necklace tight in a fist. It moved up and down with his heaving chest. Digging the fingers of his other hand into his forehead, Comet let out a long, slow whimper. His eyes squeezed shut as tight as he could, but the tears managed to stream out anyway. The next exhale came out in an agonized whisper, “Please just let me sleep. I’m so tired. Please, please, please…” Putting his head in his knees, the words dissolved into quiet sobs.
...Oh.
Ooookay, ow, ow ow ow. Anxiety, not ptsd, but I’ve been there. Ow. Ow. Please give Comet a hug for me.
“Kessie, what are you doing up?” The words came out like a croak, and Comet cleared his throat. “I’m okay, Kess, I promise. You go ahead back to sleep.”

Kestrelsight only cocked her head, her trembling intensifying.

Comet let out a sigh. “You can’t sleep either, huh?”

She cooed and took a tentative step through the doorway. Comet sniffed and rubbed under his nose. “It’s okay. You can come in.”
But it is so sweet to see him bond with Kestrel over that,, aaa T.T
Comet rolled his eyes and put on his protective gloves. No more flashback-inducing poisonings today! “Spike. You don’t have opposable thumbs. Just let me do it.”

But as soon as Comet reached out, Spikepelt jerked his head away. “I said I can do it myself!”

“Okay, Muk-for-brains,” Comet muttered, flinging the gloves at Spikepelt and placing the bottle of drops down next to him, “Here you go."
I love these lil clinic interludes, seein Comet doin his job, seein the Pokemon’s personalities in full focus. Even when it’s Spikepelt being difficult and Geodude not promising not to die violently in the time it takes to get Abra and Spearow checked out, it’s a nice break from the stress that I know will be coming back shortly.
Suddenly, something about the Nidorino’s glare caught Comet’s eye. “Wait a minute. No bleeding, no redness, no pus..."
Spikepelt is healed! :partypopper: Still, it should have occurred to me sooner that Comet didn’t really have a right to evolve these Pokemon since they’re not technically his. Though the explanation Oak gives definitely makes sense as a reason he can continue using Spike, etc. to battle. Then, it makes me curious about what would happen if Comet WAS given a Pokemon whose trainer decidedly wanted them back, and the consequences of evolving or getting attached to or losing it.
Actually, Comet, I’m glad you called because I was going to get in touch with you anyway. We got a tip that Team Rocket may be planning to infiltrate the S.S. Anne tomorrow. ... I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to raise money for the clinic!
Oak... listen to yourself... this is plot magnet Comet you’re talking to...
Comet’s finger hovered over the ‘end call’ button, but he stopped himself. He had been doing quite a lot of hanging up on the professor lately, and the old man certainly didn’t deserve it right now after all the help and advice he had given. So, Comet inhaled deeply, bit back his instinctive refusal, and said, “Okay. I’ll let you know.”
Character development!!??! <3
Thank you, Comet. Best of luck at the appointment today. And good work so far, boy! I know it’s not glamorous work, and I’m sure it can be boring at times, but it’s all thanks to your dedication that these Pokemon are healing under your care. I’m pr-” Oak cleared his throat roughly, “Well, I won’t keep you any longer. Stay in touch!”
Hi, OUCH.
Comet turned around and blinked. He had no idea where the waiting room was, and nobody had told him. He turned back around to the clerk, but one look at her face made him decide it would not be wise to interrupt her phone call. He looked to the next clerk down, who at first glance seemed to be making eye contact but then droned out, “I said I can take who’s next!” and then the trainer behind Comet brushed by him to get to the counter.
Uughuhug I feel this,,,,, im very awkward in public
“How long have you been practicing at your own clinic?”

“....Less than a year.”
BAHAHAHA Comet bringing the honesty, I love it!
“Ask me how many Pokemon I had to euthanize today.”
noooo...
That made him stand. All the nervousness, all the fear, all the uncertainty rushed out of him like water from a broken dam. And fury flooded in to replace it.
AWW YEAH LESGO
Yano when you like, watch the trailer for a movie a bunch, and when you finally see the cool part in context, it hits so much harder than it would have if the trailer didn’t hype it up so much?
That’s this section with the Ganza excerpt. I think I audibly cheered.
But Comet knew that this technology was working properly and was indeed about to take him to his own clinic. Because as soon as he punched in his code, a trail of smoke began to leak out from the edges of the doorframe.
NONONONONONONO
Bad bad abort abort!!
This is that phrase “bad news never has good timing” but with RNG. So much for giving the boy a rest T.T
Sheepishly, Comet handed Bravewhisker to her. “No, everyone else seems okay, we’re just a little shaken up."
...But I am glad that nobody else got hurt, whew
“Maybe it’s not as bad as it looks,” he whispered to himself, “Maybe she only exploded a little. Like, her pinkie finger exploded and nothing else. I’ll put a bandaid on that sucker, dust the ashes out, repaint her room in the iso unit, and we’ll be right as rain.”

Supporting Comet’s theory, Bravewhisker’s room was unscathed, albeit smokey. The second room had a jagged, vertical crack in the middle of the far wall about a foot long.

“...Still so far, so good. We can hang a painting there...”
I can’t decide if Comet’s desperate denial here is terrifying or hilarious.
There were no remains even to bury. He couldn’t tell which stones were rubble and which were the poor Pokemon’s body. Pieces of the generator lay strewn throughout, the metal covered in a dull grey soot.

It was easier with no one there. Comet sat down in the broken stone and put his head in his hands.

It just wasn’t fair. He had followed all the instructions. He had done everything right this time. Not like with Metapod. With Metapod, there was a choice to be made, and he took the wrong action.

But this time he had done everything in his power, and she still died. And he didn’t know what scared him more.
Noooooooo!!!! D:
The pit of sour dread in Comet’s gut grew bigger. He couldn’t deny it anymore- Bravewhisker really was rapidly declining, even with the dosage increases. As much as he hated to admit it, he needed to start preparing for a time where Bravewhisker wouldn’t be there to help him with battles or with taking care of the clinic Pokemon.

But he didn’t have to think about that today.
At the rate time is passing in this run so far, Specs that had better be true now yhear >:(
Rising up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

“Oh and it’s also a race. So get readyyyyy….”

The team stared at him blankly as he slowly dipped into a running crouch.

“Seeeeet…….”

Spikepelt took off through the mouth of the tunnel, leaving a trail of dust in his wake.

Comet sighed. “Yeah, figures. GO!”
Heck yeah, training montage!
“You need to talk with the troubled one,” said Phoenixfall suddenly.

A grimace broke through on Comet’s face. So much for relaxing.
Props to Bravewhisker and Phoenixfall for opening up this communication, but also, dang man he’s just trying to relax. But also, these things need to be said, so. Props to them and apologies to Comet.
He heard everything up until, ‘The operation was a success’ before he flung the phone back across the grass and sank down into the water in a flood of joy and relief.

In that moment, he could have sworn he was more than just floating. He was rising with pure happiness.
Yessssssss :DD
Also that looks like a-
Most people didn’t know how to appreciate Gyarados. Every painting, every photograph in every medium shows them with their great, gaping jaws parted. And it was understandable- they did have a ferocious maw. But what often goes unnoticed is their beauty. Their sleek, azure body. The way they gracefully weave through the water. The regal crown of harder, darker scales between their eyes. The joy at seeing one again was indescribable. All the relief and happiness bubbled over at once and escaped Comet in a great, crowing, whoop.
-called ittttttt~

Whew, glad I decided to catch up to a chapter ending on a good note, even if nothing’s guaranteed going forward. I’m also now VERY intrigued to see what on this good green earth is happening over in The Monstrosity, though I’ll probably take a bit of a break before that heheh

Anyway, sorry this was so long and rambly. You have an absolute RUN here, and now I can say congrats on your Ganza wins while knowing how much they’re deserved! Sharing a place with Comet is an unbelievable honor, and Queeje would like to formally rescind the pharmacist comment. ^^’

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
First Saturday of the month is here; time for an update!

Before I get into replies, I want to say a huge, HUGE thank you to all of you for your support in the Ganza and in general. THO tied for first place in Best New Written Run and our favorite hot mess trying his best tied for silver for Best Main Character. Since this was my first adventure into writing a purely written run, I really wasn't expecting to be a contender this year. But it makes me so happy to know you guys are enjoying this so much. Especially because since it's been so long since I've sat down and decided to write a proper story, and I never finished any of those past projects. Thankfully, I am still 10 updates ahead on THO and still going strong, and with the rest of the plot planned out, I fully expect to finish this run and have my first completed story under my belt. And this one, even though it's just a little nuzlocke story, is a little extra close to my heart as a healthcare worker. So thank you guys so much for helping me through this story and for being there to make it all worth it!

Also, in case anyone missed it, I wrote a little post on my Healthcare Blog, Tales from the Pokemon Center, detailing why i'm insane enough to want to play something like the doc-locke rules on my free time.

@Trollkitten - Comet is not one to put up with grumps on his fieldtrip. I'm glad you liked the music addition here, I was only going to include one verse initially but I though the lyrics were actually quite fitting! Trauma? Comet? Naaahhh, no trauma here!! Good vibez only!
@Leon Yorunaki - Comet is absolutely a cheesy 80s cliche type of guy. No shame whatsoever. And I will say, it did feel nice to give the team a day of (mostly) fun. And your predictions are quite valid and extremely possible~
@RubyClaw - It was a nice breather for everyone I think :) It felt good to set the laundry list of problems aside for a while and just let them all be.
@Bowser's Family Vacation -YES to field trips with children being stressful AF. I also do not condone Spikepelt's views on marshies. And further evidence that this is Capitalism Sucks: The Run. Respecting Gloom, one flower crown at a time. Phoenixfall coming in hot with the unwanted but necessary sage advice. And hooray for evolutions and healing!!!
@bhelryss - We all need a calm uneventful fieldtrip every now and again in our lives. Comet's love for fish and giant fish monsters knows no bounds.
@ACottontail - I know right?! Did you think you cam to the wrong story for a second? And you are absolutely right to be suspicious lol. Gloom and Phoenixfall are sweeties and I love them both. And Bravewhisker too, despite...circumstances :(
@MegaInfernape -Nope, the stopping of the trauma conga line is permanent! No bad things ever again! ....I wish 😭 Petition to make all Pikachu live forever? And I love Phoenixfall too, she's such a gentle and wise Gyara momma :)
@QuietGuardian - Thank you for the congratulations and for the support! Comet may be a mess but he is our mess. And you hit the nail on the head- if it's a problem Comet can't punch, he's just gonna close his eyes and block his ears and pretend it doesn't exist. Although in Comet's defense, he was more noticing the difference between the two Gyarados rather than wanting her to be more liek Waterfall- but if Phoenixfall was less wise and more sensitive she could have easily taken it that way so very good point. Comet's gotta watch his mouth. Don't worry, reality is going to hit this guy like a ton of bricks. Repeatedly and hard lol. And yes, Comet is absolutely a cheesy 80s rock ballad kind of guy!
@crashcrashcrash - AAAAHHH HELLO THERE!! Thank you so so much for reading and for LEAVING ALL THAT FEEDBACK AHHH!! Where do I begin?! You're definitelt correct in saying the entire premise of this run definitely requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. I always come up with a little story whenever I play a run whether I post it or not, and that premise is what I used for this one. And then it just kind of rapidly as I played became too much of a full story for me to ignore, but it didn't work without the basic premise. I tried to justify it a smidge my saying Comet went through medical training while the new Pokemon Center was being built, but that was only for a few months and definitely not enough to be realistic. And Oak was trying to give Comet at least semi-simple cases buy of course we see how well that worked out lol. Also, cudos again to you for working in the animal care field! :) Definitely takes a special kind of person! I'm so glad you like Comet and Oak's relationship- that's been one of my favorite parts to write. And I didn't even realize that about Comet and Queeje's names! (I'll have to try to look into this Taz as well). "Old man humors child" is the perfect way to descibe BW and Comet lol. BW is too good for him honestly. I also love how everyone who has experienced medicating a puppy knows the pain and fun Comet dealt with with Spikepelt. I would also like to pioneer the Give Comet a Break 2022 movement (although I guess the most recent chapter was kind of that). You also really captured the nuances of Comet and Gale really great- their attitudes are something I've seen clashing in healthcare in both the animal and people variety. Also I think you might be the only one who didn't read the spoilers for Spearow and Abra so I am especially curious to hear your thoughts on that moving forward. I don't think I am ever going to give a concrete answer to Comet's communicating with Pokemon, but I love hearing your thoughts on it, especially with the Phoenixfall scene :) And OPE. Please don't blame Misty for her lack of concern about her city-that would be a big ol' oops on my part that I didn't notice until you pointed that out!! Those chapters were kind of giving me a hard time and I was thinking of "Team Rocket fight" and "gym battle" as two separate things where they shold have definitely been more connected. Once one event was done I forgot about it for the next. Thank you for pointing that out- and I think that just goes to show how important it is to have another set of eyes on your work! Comet would like to officially accept Queeje's pharmacist comment rescind and admits that maybe a pharmacist would be a better career path anyway? Hey I think they could be friends (and I think Comet really needs a Twitch in his life). THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU again for reading and I am so happy to have you here! And I am sorry for this rambling reply :psyduck:

Chapter 18
The rest of Comet’s plans for the afternoon were quickly derailed upon his arrival at the Vermillion City Pokemon Center.

“Are you Peter Finnigan, the clinician for the Viridian City Clinic?” asked the Nurse Joy as he handed her his Poke Balls to use the healing machine.

Comet threw her a sidelong glance, immediately suspicious. “Why do you ask?”

The Joy fished under the counter and then set a Great Ball in front of him with a note taped to the top. “This came for you this morning. It’s from a Nurse Gale?”

Trying not to scowl, Comet detached the note from the ball and read:

‘This is a delivery for the Viridian City clinician- a new addition for his save-the-world effort. Another euthanasia order, but with your unlimited resources and expertise that the rest of the medical community is so severely lacking, I’m sure you can work a miracle. I think you’ll find this one to be a little bigger and more lively than the other two. Have you ever heard of Poke Ball Syndrome before? If not, you’re in for a treat.

Here’s my number. Give it a call when you come to your senses and want to send him back.’

At the bottom of the note was a number that Comet didn’t read before crumbling the paper into a ball and stuffing it in his pocket. “Any ideas as to what I’m dealing with here?”

“According to the chart,” said Joy, punching at keys on her computer, “It’s a Persian. Male. 89 pounds, 51 inches high.”

“Arceus!” Comet exclaimed, leaning over the counter. “Is that really a Persian or fucking Entei?!”

The Joy took a deep breath. “If I were you, I would give this Gale a call and tell her to forget it. Pokemon with this condition could be very dangerous, and it sounds like she sent it to you as more of a mean joke than anything else. You must have made quite the enemy out of her.”

“Actually, she’s the one who made an enemy out of me,” said Comet, jabbing one finger into the cabinet to emphasize his words. “And I don’t lose easily. That’s why I’ll be taking this Pokemon down to my clinic and fixing this Poke Ball Syndrome or whatever the hell it’s called. Sounds made up anyway.”

Nurse Joy gave him a cool look. “Treating Pokemon isn’t a game you win or lose. And if you knew anything about PBS, you wouldn’t be so cocky. Bad things happen to Pokemon when they aren’t let out of their balls for a long time. They turn feral. Won’t hesitate to attack a human if they feel threatened. Sometimes, if the case is severe enough, the damage to the Pokemon’s psyche can be permanent. You can really hurt yourself trying to touch this Persian.”

Comet stared at the Great Ball thoughtfully, his face a dark cloud reflected in its shining blue surface. It was hard to believe a creature so dangerous could be held by such a little thing.

Then, the ball twitched. Very lightly, but it did twitch.

With a heavy effort to conceal his mounting panic, Comet called to the Joy as he descended the stairs to the clinic’s code door. “Better get a head start then! I’ll be back for my Pokemon in a little while, let them take their time on the healing machine.”

As soon as he punched in the code and went through the door, the Great Ball burst open and Comet scrambled to the other side of the exam table to put distance between himself and the emerging Persian. He was suddenly aware of small claws digging into his shoulders, and he turned to see Bravewhisker peering around the edge of the table.

“What are you doing here?!” Comet hissed.

“Saving your fool behind, probably. What gave you the bright idea to come down here with that thing alone?!”

“Oh yeah, great idea, old man! Bring all the crippled Pokemon down here and then let SuperCat here have a fucking buffet!”

A low growl came from the other side of the table at the sound of Comet’s raised voice. Bravewhisker held one finger to his mouth. “It’s got Poke Ball Syndrome, not rabies,” he said in a whisper. “He’s not going to go out of his way to attack anyone unless he feels threatened. Like he probably does hearing your big mouth.”

Comet swallowed and glanced under the table. The biggest feline paws he’d ever seen in his life padded on the ground, the Persian’s legs deep in a low crouch. “...That’s Entei, you know that, B? How the hell do I treat freakin Entei?!”

“Well,” said Bravewhisker slowly, “Usually Poke Ball Syndrome is something that, if it’s going to heal at all, it does so slowly on its own. The more time Persian spends out of his ball, the better. Although, this does seem to be a more serious case. Luckily for us, the medicine Kestrelsight takes for her anxiety is the same kind commonly used to help treat severe PBS.”

“Oh… so this is really easy, right? It’s just pills, that’s not hard.” Comet reached up to open the medicine cabinet...and the Persian abruptly rose to his full height. His head reached over the exam table. Jerking away in his shock, Comet yanked the cabinet door open and sent a shelf’s worth of pill bottles toppling down on his head. The Persian hissed, backing up into the corner opposite Comet.

Bravewhisker hopped off Comet’s shoulder and started looking through the fallen bottles. “Try to relax, kid. He doesn’t want to hurt you. He’s just been confined for so long that everything seems like a threat.”

Comet swallowed heavily, hoping the motion would drop his heart back down where it belonged. He took the medicine bottle Bravewhisker held up to him and shakily took out two pills. “Maybe if I give him like 12 of these he’ll chill out.”

The Pikachu’s ear twitched. “And probably die of an overdose in the process. Might as well send him back to Gale now if that’s going to be your attitude about it.”

The thought of admitting defeat to Gale steeled Comet’s resolve. Clutching the pills tightly in his fist, he began to slowly crawl out from behind the examination table. “Niiiice kitty…”

The growling grew louder as Comet approached. Tail lashing, the Persian stared at Comet with wild red eyes. Whatever the Persian was trying to say, Comet could not understand. It was like he wasn’t even trying to communicate, or didn’t know how, or a little bit of both. Comet turned back to Bravewhisker, who was staring at him with a confused expression. “Uh, kid? What exactly is your plan here?”

In response, Comet tossed the two pills toward the growling feline, letting out a short battle cry along with the motion. The Persian immediately batted them away with one paw, claws out. Comet gulped. They really were long claws. The pills skittered across the tile floor and bounced off of Comet’s sneakers. “Hey, B. That didn’t work.”

The Pikachu sighed and rubbed his eyes. “No kidding. Try hiding the pills in food.”

Pulling an extra hot dog from the cookout from his bag, he pushed the two pills inside and then tossed that at the Persian. The big cat flinched, sniffed the hot dog, and then returned to growling. Comet grimaced. “Don’t tell me I’m gonna have to shove the pills down his throat.”

Bravewhisker thought for a moment, tail twitching. “Maybe if we both left the room. He might not want to eat in front of us if he doesn’t feel safe.”

“Okay. If he tears my legs off when I stand up, you’re on your own.”

Comet and Bravewhisker slowly backed up out the back door of the exam room, leading to the hallway. As the distance between them increased, the Persian began to slowly loosen up his crouched position. “Leave the door partly open so he doesn’t feel trapped,” whispered Bravewhisker.

Fighting the urge to peer in the doorway, Comet clenched his fists. “I don’t hear any eating noises.”

Patience. We just left,” Bravewhisker hissed.

“I fucking hate patience. I’m taking a peek.”

Back against the door, Comet craned his neck just enough to get his eyes in the doorway. “Oh come on,” Comet whispered aggressively. “He turned completely around. He’s just laying in the corner, facing away from the hot dog. Who turns down a hot dog?!”

“He’s probably too agitated to eat.”

“Well, I’m too agitated to wait,” said Comet, kicking his shoes off. “I’m gonna sneak up behind him while he’s got his face in the corner.”

Don’t-

But Comet was already through the door, stepping as lightly as possible on sock-covered feet. The mantra in his head was everything he learned about restraining feline Pokemon while he was being educated to be a clinician. Grab the scruff of their neck tight. Lay them down on their side with their back stretched out. Grab the back foot just behind the paw pad. Pray.

Once Comet was close enough, he leapt. Everything happened in a blink.

Comet snagged the skin on the back of Persian’s neck and gripped it tight. The Persain yowled, thrashing his head back and forth in an effort to bite. It was all Comet could do to keep his grip. Half way to lowering the screeching cat to the ground, Persian’s back legs pushed off the ground, kicked out…

And slashed Comet right down his left forearm.

Blood poured. Swears erupted from Comet’s mouth- he didn’t even know what he was saying, only that he was saying it very loudly. His right hand released Persian to clap desperately over the gushing wound. But he was cut deep, and the blood spread past his fingers and started to pour to the floor.

Lights floated in his vision. Some of which, he was able to hazily recognize, were sparks from Bravewhisker. Most of them were swirling colors as his sight started to go cloudy.

Rest. This is where I take over.

A sort of pressure accompanied the voice in Comet’s head. His mouth opened without his permission, and words came in a strange voice from his mouth. “Inferior creature...you will regret the day you dared draw our blood.”

Comet’s bleeding arm began to rise against his will, as if someone was pulling the strings on a puppet. Comet tried to talk to the invisible force controlling him, but his jaw wouldn’t move.

No need to speak now. We share one body, one mind.

Then, a strange sensation began to flow through Comet. The pressure in his head began to flow through his veins, down his arms, to his palms. Glowing violet energy formed in his hands, swirling like two dark storms. A purple haze crept into the corners of his vision.

What are you doing? thought Comet at the voice in his head.

Protecting us.

A sudden increase of energy in his uninjured arm made Comet jerk. The arm drew back, violet orb whirling, poised to attack.

No!

Comet pulled back as hard as he could against the invisible force moving him. His arm stopped mid-strike, the dark magic in his hands sputtering out into motes that dissolved into the ground. The Persian hissed, curling further back into his corner.

What are you doing?

The purple mist faded slightly from Comet’s vision. His arm was still locked half extended, like he was pulling his arm back through a block of concrete. I won’t let you attack that Pokemon. What are you doing to me?

Don’t be a fool. Look at what it did to us.

Comet’s neck began to move toward his wounded arm. He fought against the force, but the strain on his muscles was too great, and their combined strength tilted his head toward the floor. There was a puddle of blood on the ground now, growing rapidly. He’s scared. He didn’t mean to.

Maybe this will make you understand...

The force started to pull at Comet’s tongue, then. It was stronger now, and he found his body slowly moving against his will again despite his full strength. The pool of blood was getting wider, and a fainting sensation was starting to come over him. As the corners of his vision darkened, the violet mist began to close in- and the alien presence gained more and more control.

Comet raised his injured arm to his mouth, and he slowly ran his tongue across the bloody flesh.

Then there was a jolt of electricity. Every muscle in Comet’s body jerked, and then true darkness took him.

Fun doc-locke fact: the Pokemon you care for attacking you is a real function in this ruleset. If a Pokemon has a difficult nature or a condition that causes aggression, you have to roll for a chance of being attacked by that Pokemon. If you're injured, you can lose a couple hours-or even an entire day depending on the severity of the injury-to recover, and if you lose a day, you won't be able to pass meds to your mons. I simply couldn't not include this feature after working at a vet clinic and being attacked- especially by cats.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
I simply couldn't not include this feature after working at a vet clinic and being attacked- especially by cats.
I once owned a cat who was VERY difficult at the vet's, and there were warnings written on her file. Ironically, her name was Peace. That's a misnomer if I've ever seen one.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
...is Gale actively trying to get Comet killed here?

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Poke Ball Syndrome? 👀

Also, that's a big cat. 👁️ 👄 👁️

Treating Pokemon isn’t a game you win or lose.
Sometimes "losing" the game is a win for the patient.

Bravewhisker held one finger to his mouth. “It’s got Poke Ball Syndrome, not rabies,” he said in a whisper. “He’s not going to go out of his way to attack anyone unless he feels threatened. Like he probably does hearing your big mouth.”
What is Comet gonna do without his conscience mouse. 🥺

“Well, I’m too agitated to wait,” said Comet, kicking his shoes off. “I’m gonna sneak up behind him while he’s got his face in the corner.”
And that was how Comet died.

A sort of pressure accompanied the voice in Comet’s head. His mouth opened without his permission, and words came in a strange voice from his mouth. “Inferior creature...you will regret the day you dared draw our blood.”
Traumatized Persian:
6265c68f206df5c48770af537ca4a1a1e8-picklecat.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

Thank goodness Bravewhisker was there to perform emergency GTFO on the physician! ⚡

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
I THINK GALE NEEDS A STRONG TALKING TO

also good on bravewhisker for not letting comet do stupid shit alone (and getting killed that way)

more worried about how mewtwo than our sweet little entei. at least when entei lashes out at its surroundings it's cause its scared and needs care

mewtwo's straight up like "yeah if it hurt me it needs to die" which is. a different beast

hey mewtwo? fuck off, let comet be a bleeding heart and a bleeding arm in peace

honestly tho can someone please speak to gale and keep her from trying to get comet hurt on purpose (for LEARNING PURPOSES?????) what's he gonna learn, how to die by being an overconfident brat?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I THINK GALE NEEDS A STRONG TALKING TO
"What part of 'do no harm' do you not freaking UNDERSTAND?!"
what's he gonna learn, how to die by being an overconfident brat?
Joke's on Gale, he already knows that. Just hasn't had the chance to put it into practice yet.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
I take PBS comes out of Panic Disorder somehow, and that's enough to raise eyebrows alone. This, but coupled with feral felines, is a sure-fire recipe for disaster in the hands of Comet.
and it sounds like she sent it to you as more of a mean joke than anything else.
Of course Gale would use such a creature to knock senses into the poor kid... and it would probably have worked if Gale knew a few things about Comet's clinic:
- Where the B in BW's name came from
- Comet's own dumbness
- Mewtwo's influence

Well, let's be fair, she couldn't know about the last one. But the other two should be enough for her to reconsider the plan, since it means endangering their lives.
Or maybe it's just what she wanted. Nothing like pain to teach you a lesson, right? At least it does tell us at the end that Mewtwo is also a cat of sorts...

MegaInfernape

Wisher for the Return of Megas
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 13, 2022
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Has a very erractic mind. It is not uncommon for it to be seen moving from one activity or project to another.
Well, Gale is 100% tryna get Comet hurt and/or killed here. She shoulda Comet is stupid and stubborn enough to see aggressive pokemon that should be given up and/put down and say "is that a challenge"

OP
Spectacles

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Okay so before I do ANYTHING I have to drop this AWESOME fan art my sister @DeterminedDelcatty made me fort my birthday.

muMLgkQ.png
Some special things to note about this:
Comet's very medically accurate scrubs
Comet's necklace!!!
A sneak peek at Spikepelt as a Nidoking (which he may or may not eventually become)
Kessie just looking damn adorable with her goggles
But I think my favorite part is Bravewhisker. He looks so joyful and pure here. And look at his wittle wrinkles!!! Please someone give this mouse a raise.

Amazing. A huge thank you to DD!!

Before I get into replies, I'll address the Gale comments because there are a lot of those lol In Gale's defense, she doesn't know just how much of a rookie Comet is. In this profession, even entry level clinicians are expected to be able to handle and make judgement calls on aggressive Pokemon of any size. Like in real life veterinary care, even good Pokemon can get pissy if they're being handled in a way they aren't used to or don't like! Also, she doesn't know just how big of an idiot Comet is. That being said, it was definitely still a crappy, petty thing to do. But she definitely didn't expect Comet to seriously injure or kill himself over it.

@Trollkitten -PEACE. That's hilarious. Peace with the aggression notes on her file. Oh, I have known such pets in the past. But none with such ironic names!
@RubyClaw -Absolutely correct. Bravewhisker should be in charge.
@Bowser's Family Vacation -Fictional illnesses are my favorite. And very true- taking the loss can sometimes be very beneficial to everyone involved. Pride is not a major organ, but don't try to tell Comet that lol. What are any of us going to do without Bravewhisker? And I actually think Emergency GTFO is the correct medical terminology here!
@bhelryss -Never do stupid shit alone, everyone should have a Pikachu. Yes, poor Entei is just misunderstood. Mewtwo is scary scary.
hey mewtwo? fuck off, let comet be a bleeding heart and a bleeding arm in peace
I choked.
@Leon Yorunaki -Yeah PBS is sort of a combination of that and the symptoms real life people exhibit when they're raised in this kind of confinement and social isolation. The B in BW stands for BITCH I GOT TIME TODAY . And omg I forgot about Mewtwo being a feline too! Cat fight! kind of!
@MegaInfernape -Unfortunately, Gale doesn't know Comet well enough to know just how inexperienced he is and just how crazy stupid he is! Homegirl thought he actually went to school for this shit rather than a crash course lol

***Trigger warning-strained parental relationships***

Chapter 19

This is not the first time your blood was spilled, is it? Let me look through your mind, your memories. I want to understand…

Comet’s vision blurred and then came into focus. He was in a place he hadn’t seen in a long, long time.

This memory...this location… is significant?

This is my parents’ house.

A pang of dull surprise hit Comet. Could he really talk to this thing? What was happening?

I can feel the frustration in your young body.

The alien voice was right. In this memory, Comet was only a small child- maybe three or four years old. It was strange to be so little again, yet it felt more familiar than Comet would have thought.

Young Comet...no, not Comet yet- this was before he renamed himself...Young Peter peered into the doorway of his father’s office, a beat up old Charmander doll under one arm. Peter took after his dad- they had the same blonde hair and freckled cheeks.

I was always bored.

I see.

Little Peter knew his dad didn’t like to be bothered when he was working. ‘You can tell when daddy’s working when he’s smoking his cigarettes. Daddy needs his cigarettes to keep him calm, because he’s under a lot of stress. So when Daddy has a cigarette, you have to be very, very quiet.’

Only sometimes Peter’s father would smoke when he wasn’t working. If Peter got too loud or talked too much or ran too fast, his father would retreat to his office and start to smoke. It was hard to tell when it was okay to play with him and when it wasn’t.

It was the same with his mom. ‘Mommy used to work like daddy does,’ she would tell Peter, ‘but there is a lot more work to do around the house now that we have you.’

In Comet’s earliest memories, his father would leave the house for work and it was just Peter and his mom. But soon dad started to work from home because taking care of Peter was ‘too much for mommy to do on her own’.

Peter was excited when his father started to work from home, because that meant there would always be someone to play with. But that wasn’t what happened. His parents were just both busy together.

Peter squeezed the Charmander plushie. Dad said he couldn’t play with him when he was working, but that didn’t mean Peter couldn’t play in the office while he worked. “If I’m quick,” he whispered to the plushie, “He won’t even notice I came in!”

As quietly as he could muster, Peter ran into the office and hurled himself into the corner of the room. Besides a deep, heavy sigh, no sound came from his dad.

“Told you,” he whispered to Charmander. “Now I just have to make sure he didn’t notice.”

Peter crept up to the back of his dad’s desk and slowly peeked up over the top. His father stared hard at his computer screen, smoke puffing faster, a vein bulging in his temple.

“We’re clear,” Peter whispered and crawled under the desk. “This is the best spot to play since he can’t see us. Then we won’t be disruptive.”

Interesting. Your thoughts do not match your words here.

No. I knew I was being annoying as hell. But that was the easiest way to get their attention.

By this time, Peter had just finished convincing himself that bouncing the Charmander plushie against his dad’s shoe was playing on Dad, not with him. And that was the last straw.

“Mel! Please come get him!”

“I can’t right now, the kitchen is a mess and-”

“Well, I can’t get anything fucking done so he has to go with you!”

Then, Peter’s father picked him up. He hated being picked up. So he started to whine. That made the yelling worse. He was dropped off on the kitchen floor, and his father shut the door behind him even though he tried to run out after him. That made him cry and pound on the door.

“Peter, please stop. Daddy’s trying to work.”

Comet tried to close his eyes, but he knew better now. The images were in his mind, and there was no escaping them. The shame boiled up inside him as he watched the little boy he used to be throw a tantrum, screaming and stomping and throwing himself on the ground.

You still don’t like to be controlled.

No. I don’t.

Peter’s mom put her head in her hands and sighed. “Okay, I can’t handle this anymore. If you want to pitch a fit, that’s fine, but I have to get this done.”

She turned her back on him and took to the sink. Which only made Peter more furious. Still screaming, he grabbed a glass bowl from the drying rack. But she still didn’t look at him. And so he took the next step.

Glass shattered. A shard hit his arm. The bleeding intensified his screams and gave them new meaning.

There it is.

The memory swirled. The sounds of crying and yelling blended with the image of the kitchen tile floor and a torn Charmander plushie. One phrase stood out clearer than the rest.

“I just don’t know what to do with you anymore…”

Then the vision finally settled on Peter in his room, alone, lit by the flashing glow of the television. His arm was tightly bandaged, and the rip on the Charmander had been taped closed. On the screen stood Red and his Pikachu, ready to start their next match.

This was always the only thing that would calm me down. Keep my interest.

You were small back then. Weak. But now that we’re together, you have power. You don’t have to be controlled anymore, Comet’s Fury.

A blanketing sensation came over Comet’s body. He pushed back against it. Everything went black.

When he woke up, he was in his bedroom in the clinic.The first sensation was a dull, aching throb in his arm. He pulled off the blankets to inspect it, and found that it had been thoroughly bandaged.

“Who the hell did that?” he mumbled as he glanced up at the heart monitor screens. Every one indicated stability, even the new screen for the Persian. The time on the screen indicated that it was in the late hours of the night.

Comet sighed. He knew he should try to go back to sleep. But what else would he see when he closed his eyes? Who would he hear? Who would be there?

So he tossed off the blankets and made his way down the hallway. Peering into the nursery, he made a sweeping census of the clinic Pokemon. Everyone was sleeping soundly...except Persian. He stood crouched in the same corner, and his eyes snapped to Comet as soon as the door opened. A low growl rumbled in his throat, and Comet gulped. At least he didn’t seem keen on attacking the other Pokemon. Even Spikepelt seems to have the sense to keep his distance just in case.

Gently closing the door, Comet turned to the other side of the hallway and stopped. A familiar, gentle glow came from the examination room.

Within, Bravewhisker perched on the edge of the examination table, eyes fixed on the hanging monitor screen. Comet recognized the battle before even seeing the screen- Red versus Blue, their first televised battle after leaving the Kanto Bough.

“One of the best,” said Comet.

Bravewhisker’s ears pricked up at the sound of his voice. “You’re up! I thought you would be resting.”

“Couldn’t sleep. How did things go with Persian after I…”

The Pikachu heaved a little sigh and then paused the television, just as Red’s Lapras let out a Ice Beam attack against Blue’s Alakazam. “He backed off after you...lost consciousness. You had lost a lot of blood, so I wrapped your arm with towels the best I could to stop the bleeding and then ran upstairs to get the Nurse Joy. She sutured you up and helped with the transfusion.”

“Transfusion?!” Comet exclaimed.

“Three pints. He got you good. Plus it took a while to fully attend to the wound.”

Comet whistled. “Damn. Where’d you get the blood?”

Bravewhisker hopped off the examination table. “Follow me.”

Comet frowned, but obeyed. He followed the Pikachu to the exam room, where there was a light on in the room next to Bravewhisker’s. Within, Moon lay sleeping soundly on a pile of blankets and pillows.

Shock overwhelmed, and he could only stand in the doorway with his eyes wide and mouth slightly parted. Finally, he was able to ask, “How did she get here?”

“I looked in your Xtransceiver and she was your second emergency contact after the professor. Turns out she’s a universal donor. She was also coming by tomorrow anyway for that event on the S.S Anne that you-”

“Oh, fuck!

Bravewhisker’s ear twitched. “...That you forgot about, apparently.”

Comet’s head throbbed. He returned to the exam room with Bravewhisker in tow, rifling through the cabinet for the ibuprofen. “So what ended up happening with Persian then? Did he end up taking the pill?”

The Pikachu’s expression grew troubled. “That’s where Moon came in handy again. Her Venusaur held him down so Nurse Joy could give him the pill. It’s far from an ideal method, especially when you’re trying to earn his trust. I have something different in mind.”

Pressing buttons on the remote with his stubby fingers, Bravewhisker closed out of the Red versus Blue video and pulled up the supply catalog. It was open to something called a ‘pill gun’ that looked like a very long syringe. “It’ll help to keep your extremities away from his mouth...So we don’t have another incident.”

Comet stared down at his arm for a while, silent. Finally, he said, “You didn’t have to do anything. It was just me, you, and the Persian down here. Nobody would have even known if you didn’t help.”

“Well, of course I was gonna help you. I wasn’t about to stand there and watch you bleed out.”

“You could have, though,” said Comet, his voice growing quieter. “It would have been payback.”

Bravewhisker didn’t look at him. He just stared at the monitor screen. “I don’t think in terms of payback. Neither did she.”

Comet swallowed and nodded, drawing in a deep breath. “You asked me earlier about that night. And about what’s been going on with me.”

“If you’re willing to talk, I’m willing to listen.”

Comet ran his fingers through his hair. He had no idea how to start; it was like the words were all behind a dam in his throat that he couldn’t break. A distraction was what he needed, something to focus on besides talking. So he went over to the refrigerator. “Hey, uh… do you want a cola? That’s what I always used to drink while I watched battles. I’m not even sure if you can have soda, but...well… what the hell, right?”

Bravewhisker studied him for a while and said, “Yeah. What the hell.” Then he held out a paw.

Comet cracked open two cans, and handed one to the Pikachu. The hissing fizz comforted him, and he took a few gulps before speaking again.

“I’ve been hearing Mewtwo’s voice in my head. It scares the shit out of me, B. And I don’t know what to do.” He didn’t wait to see Bravewhisker’s response. “But it doesn’t make any sense. Mewtwo is dead.”

“...Are you sure about that?”

Images from that day flashed through Comet’s head. Steel’s Charizard slamming into Mewtwo, knocking him out of the sky. Purple light enveloping everything. Falling. Comet closed his eyes and took another sip of cola. “I’m sure. Steel’s Charizard killed it. They took the body for science and then cremated it when they were done.”

Bravewhisker nodded slowly. “But it’s more than just a voice you’re hearing, isn’t it?”

The cola started to tremble in Comet’s hands. “Yeah. It...It’s trying to control my body. It’s like I’m a puppet being pulled on strings. I don’t…” He trailed off with a deep, shuddering breath.

The Pikachu set down his cola and looked steadily into Comet’s eyes. “Listen to me, Comet. I know you don’t like asking for help, especially from the professor. That’s why I didn’t call him today when you got hurt even though I really wanted to. I respect you enough to do that. But this is serious, kid. And I honestly don’t know what to do about it either. You’ve got to call Oak.”

Comet pressed the can of cola against his pounding head. It felt good, cool. “...You’re right. I’m gonna call him tomorrow, after we get off the SS Anne.”

Bravewhisker nodded. They both sat in silence for a while, sipping their drinks. After a few moments, Bravewhisker took the remote and turned Red versus Blue back on. They watched it together without saying another word, until Comet finally fell asleep.

Surprise! The Hippocratic Oath is actually a Pokemon Channel fanfiction. Who knew a game about watching TV with a Pikachu could be so fun?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
...Mewtwo is dead? And is somehow still in Comet's head? What the heck?

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Saying it again, awesome fanart! Bravewhiskers is indeed adorable, and Phoenixfall is really well drawn.

Man, being Comet isn't easy, it's almost like his very existence is a constant struggle, both with others and himself. It's great that B helps him find balance at times.

So Mewtwo is... though is he?

DeterminedDelcatty

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Tough
It's too bad Moon's Venosaur didn't know sleep powder or stun spore. It would probably make it a lot easier to medicate the Persian that way. It was nice to know more about Comet's childhood. Thank you for the shout out! 🙂

DeterminedDelcatty

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Tough
Saying it again, awesome fanart! Bravewhiskers is indeed adorable, and Phoenixfall is really well drawn.

Man, being Comet isn't easy, it's almost like his very existence is a constant struggle, both with others and himself. It's great that B helps him find balance at times.

So Mewtwo is... though is he?
Thank you! At first I thought it was a little weird to give a Gyaradose anime eyes and lashes, but I wanted to keep the style somewhat consistant and it grew on me. 🙂

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
while im glad we got an insight into comet's past, i'm a lot worried about the whole "dead and cremated thing"

that's too simple for mewtwo. the fact that mewtwo's still psychically kicking around and apparently attached his katra [star trek term for essence/soul, if u weren't aware] to comet and is trying to take over is...

possibly complicated enough, but way, waaay different than what i expected

also im glad bravewhisker chose to be kind. and i'm glad moon came along. gosh comet got lucky

Uberle

Legends done, back to writing
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
kicks door down

I return!
With several comments!

So reply to a reply from like 5 months ago
You seem more on the sympathetic side toward Comet which is interesting!
Less that I'm sympathetic, because I do believe that Comet desperately needs to learn to stop charging ahead
It's more I feel like he needs someone to sit and very carefully explain how exactly he fucked up because everyone who is kinder to him seems to have not done that or at least have attempted then stopped when it was clear it wasn't going anywhere

Ok Misty battle went well
But Comet is really barely keeping himself together at the moment

I feel it's weird to say I like the sequence where the main character has flashbacks to the worst day of his life
And yet that is the case here
I like the moments where we really get into Comet's head and get an idea of how he has processed and continues to process back horrific events
And how he very much isn't going about it in the best way

Spikepelt is healed
And things still go as well as they ever do
Interested to see where this plot thread may lead

OAK IT IS A VERY VERY VERY BAD IDEA TO TELL COMET WHERE ROCKET IS GOING TO BE ACTIVE PLEASE NO

The hospital is very hectic, very suffocating, and very foreboding
Another case of finding it weird that it is one I like

I do find myself occasionally slipping into character as Asclepius while reading this run and thinking about how he would consider Comet's actions
And the conversation between Tiri and Comet was definitely one of those moments
for the record Asclepius approves of Comet's ultimate decision and line to Tiri
In the wonderful world of ✨capitalism✨ I can see the cost of a surgery being a motive to choose a different path
But Comet's dedication to preserving as much life is admirable even though he's absolutely digging himself into a deeper hole
And it's moments like that that keep him as a likable character with massive flaws rather than just a entertaining massively flawed character

I know it's part of this ruleset, but I really wish Comet could catch a break and not end up having to treat something that causes mass damages to the building and his self
We may be revisiting this point later in this comment

A chapter where things can just decompress
A chapter where Comet can just exist without dealing with enough stress to age him another decade
A chapter I like
And also gives me not too much to discuss because the fact that nothing is going to shit has me too worried to say anything about how nice it is in case a nuke gets dropped on the Pokecenter in the near future

AND THERE IT IS

This is a chapter that makes us remember exactly how Comet still needs to grow to complete his arc
Here we see him thinking he can handle a situation by the logic that he thinks he can
And he is very much wrong and gets punished for it

Also hello Mewtwo how the hell are you here and what exactly are you planning?

Another chapter I like and feel like it may be weird to say that given the content
But this does have something I very much like in storytelling
Comet has flaws that greatly affect how he acts, but they're not unreasonable flaws
We get an idea of why Comet acts the way he does and as this chapter shows us there is a rather massive chunk of his life that we don't know about which would explain his current behavior

Also hello Moon, nice to have you back
Hopefully this time we get more than "You've learned nothing" and a refusal to elaborate

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Oh gawd he's at it again...
Stop it, Mewtwo! Comet is already broken inside without you trying to rip him further!

I expected it to end up way worse than it did, though. Especially after the warning. But, as always, everything went up better than expected, with Moon there to help a bit, but something got me scared a bit...
of course, you have a medical background and I don't, but if my old biology classes serves me right... three pints from the same donor, and mismatched on top of that (I mean, universal donor means it won't activate the receiver's antibodies, but with an amount that big there could be enough antibodies on the donor's blood to react with the receiver's protein antigens)... It might have saved his life, but I don't think any of them should be completely safe after that...

Not to mention BW being nice again, and especially having Comet to open up with him. I bet Comet won't call Oak as he promised, which may or may not be a good thing...

Also, that picture is awesome and serves us right to remind it's the characterization and ruleset which makes this run so different from the others, since a glance at the team says they would be a kanto default otherwise... Kudos to you for that and to DD for awesome art!

Users who are viewing this thread