• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Kanto Teen The Hippocratic Oath (Chapter 14 11/6/21; please see TW before reading)

What rulesets should I use for my accompanying SSWL run?

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke combination

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Naturelocke only (Maybe with monotype rules)

• Doc-locke only (maybe with lorelocke rules)

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke/Lorelocke monstrosity

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Thread Description
The dramatic retelling of my Let's Go Pikachu playthrough with Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Oh dear, and now Comet is wanted, oh Comet...

Also, wonder what happened to Cat. A psychic Illusion? A secret Team Rocket Supporter? Will we meet her again?

Hmm as usual really hard dilemmas. Who to risk and in what way. I have to say so far I didn't agree with Comet on a lot of things, but when it comes to making the medical calls I support him every step of the way.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
“No,” said Comet firmly, “I have to find Cat. She’s out there somewhere and she might need help. Plus, I’m in love with her.”
Cadence and Moon: 👁️ 👄 👁️

Well, at least they were nice to the lad, but, man, nostalgia can be cruel. >_>

Gotta love that Cadence is immediately willing to help make a disguise for Comet. :D Magikarp abuse will not be tolerated. 😤

“Why is it so expensive to keep all of you alive?”
Because we live in a capitalist dystopia! 😭

“What we need,” said Comet finally, “Is coffee. Lots of coffee.”

But instead of coffee, Comet received a knock at the clinic door.
I feel like that's a healthcare mood. :c 🏥

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Trollkitten - Comet and Spikepelt are probably the worst trainer/Pokemon combination possible and someone really needs to help poor Bravewhisker keep them in line lol

@ACottontail - It's like a Problem Conga Line where all the problems just line up to kick Comet in the butt and then circle back to do it again lol. Sometimes the only way to cope is to get yourself a nice dyed black fringe cut and turn on some MCR.

@RubyClaw - The struggles never cease. And I can confirm that we will be seeing more of Cat, if not right away. Both in gameplay and story, I was definitely facing some difficult decisions here.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - Honestly I have no idea what Comet did to deserve Cadence and Moon. This is Capitalist Dystopia: The Nuzlocke. Also Healthcare Burnout: The Nuzlocke.

This chapter was a ton of fun to write. Also probably one of my favorites so far. Enjoy :)

Edit: IMPORTANT- I forgot to remind everyone that starting from here on out, The Hippocratic Oath will be updating monthly. Next update will be 11/6/21.

Chapter 13
The trajectory of the rest of Comet’s evening depended entirely upon which Officer Jenny was currently standing in the Pokemon Center lobby.

In a dark period of Comet’s life, maybe nearly as dark as the period he was in at present, he had become very familiar with the various Jennys that patrolled ‘the Diamond’- or the four towns surrounding Saffron City. It was a long time ago, way back before he had caught Goldenflame and when Waterfall was still a Magikarp, but Comet still remembered each officer vividly. Although they all looked alike, Comet could tell them apart by the last number on their badges.

Jenny 5 was soft and always let him off easy. Jenny 1 was too slow to catch him and Jenny 3 was mentally too slow- gullible as all hell, she would fall for anything. Jenny 4 was lazy and always pretended like she couldn’t see him so she didn’t have to put up with the arrest paperwork. And Jenny 2 was terrified of fish for some reason, so that was an easy fix.

But Jenny 6… there was no escaping Jenny 6. She was the one who finally caught him in the end, way back then.

“Please don’t let it be Jenny 6,” Comet whispered as he ascended the stairs to the lobby.

The Jenny watched as he approached, a faint glimmer of recognition on her face. She glanced at the wanted poster on the wall, then glanced back at him. Comet swallowed and tried to think innocent thoughts.

Finally, the Jenny sighed and busied herself with a notebook she had pulled out of her jacket, with an obvious effort to look busy.

It was Jenny 4. Thank sweet merciful Mew.

Jenny 4 spared a glance at the Nurse Joy, careful not to let her gaze fall on Comet again. “This the clinician?” she asked gruffly. Joy nodded. Flipping a page in her notebook, Jenny 4 spoke to Comet without looking at him, “See that Poke Ball on the counter?”

Comet cleared his throat before answering, trying to get the panic out of his voice. When he looked back at Jenny 4, he noticed the previous page in her notebook was full of shapeless scribbles. That helped him relax so much he very nearly laughed out loud. “Yeah, I see it. What’s the deal?”

Pen gliding across the page erratically, Jenny 4 didn’t look up from her notebook. “There’s an Alolan Geodude inside that seems to be suffering from electrical overload. It was left behind by Team Rocket, likely so they could try to inflict some extra damage before retreating”. She flipped another page over in her notebook, revealing more scribbles. “Electrical overload isn’t something the healing machine can fix, so it’s going to need clinician care. If the Geodude isn’t handled carefully, it will explode.”

Comet blinked. “Sooo, how do I-”

Jenny 4 slapped her notebook shut, nodded at the Nurse Joy, and walked out.

The Joy cleared her throat nervously. “The best way to treat electrical overload is by giving the Pokemon an outlet for their electricity. You can let them use their electric moves in battle, but Pokemon with this condition can be aggressive and unpredictable, so it’s not recommended. It’s better to hook them up to a generator and let them spend their energy that way. But the first time they use their energy after such a long buildup can be…”

Comet sighed and finished her sentence. “Explosive. I get the picture. I’ll go get the space ready.”

Thankfully, Comet had just barely enough funds to afford a small generator. While he waited for the delivery process to proceed, Comet went to the nursery room to update the clinic Pokemon.

“I’m gonna need everyone to keep in that corner of the room,” he said, pointing at where Kestrelsight was huddled in the back left corner.

Spikepelt squinted at him. “Why?”

“Because I’m essentially about to drop a living bomb into the isolation unit and it’s best to be as far away from the detonation point as possible in case this place gets blown to hell.”

Even the rebellious Nidorino was shocked into obedience at that. Comet counted heads as all the clinic Pokemon moved to the assigned location- Kessie, Spikepelt, the old diabetic Pidgey, the new epileptic Oddish Oak had sent over… Comet frowned. Two were missing.

He found the Spearow and Abra huddled up in the same nest together, sound asleep. Gently nudging the bedding, Comet whispered, “Time to wake up, sleepyheads. I’m about to drop a bom-er….I mean, we’re about to make a new friend pretty soon, and she’s gonna need a lot of space.”

The little Spearow tilted his head and blinked a few times. Then he nuzzled his cuddle buddy in an attempt to rouse him. The Abra stirred, yawned, and then drew one arm over his friends back, holding him closer. Spearow looked up at Comet apologetically. “I guess I’m kind of stuck here, unless you want me to try a little harder to wake him up…”

“Absolutely not,” said Comet, deciding the two adorable little critters were going right next to Kessie’s name on the list of Pokemon to protect at all costs. Gathering the nest in his arms, Comet carried the two friends over to the shelter corner. Abra gave a little sigh, completely undisturbed.

Spearow looked up at Comet with an expression that was undoubtedly a smile, despite beaks not technically allowing such movements. “Thank you, sir.”

Great. Another bird I would literally die for, is what Comet wanted to say, but instead said, “You don’t have to call me that. I’m just Comet.”

“Okay, Sir Comet!”

And last was Bravewhisker. When Comet entered the exam room, the Pikachu was waiting for him next to the newly-delivered generator on the table in the center of the room.

“Listen, Comet,” he said, “You’re going to need to be very, very careful throughout this process. Any sudden moves or stress could set the Geodude off-”

“It’s gonna explode. We don’t have a prayer.”

“Now, don’t say that-”

“Ka-blooey!” Comet crowed, throwing his hands into the air. His mounting exhaustion made the word into a drunken slur.

Bravewhisker stamped his little foot and sent a gentle jolt of electricity through Comet, just enough to make his back straighten up and his hair to stand on end. “Pull yourself together!”

Comet stared at Bravewhisker as his hair slowly returned to its original shape. “I was just really hoping I could get away with only having one Pokemon Center destroyed in my lifetime.”

The Pikachu sighed. “Let’s put it this way. Self-destructing Pokemon are scary, yes, but thankfully this is still just a Geodude. Even if it did explode, it likely wouldn’t destroy the entire Pokemon Center. Just a portion of it.”

“If this Pokemon Center collapses today, I’m leaving the planet.”

“I promise you it will not, but I’m going to need you to start blinking again and relax so you don’t get your head blown off while you do this.”

“I don’t want a head anymore, I just want coffee,” Comet mumbled, but off he went up the stairs. Carefully scooping up the Poke Ball in his hands, he glanced at the Nurse Joy. She gave him a grave nod, took off her nurse’s hat, and clutched it to her chest. Comet swallowed.

The door to the clinic waited open for him. Bravewhisker had gone to Comet’s bedroom since he could not join the other Pokemon in their safety corner. Comet knelt before the threshold, sweat trickling down from his forehead. He whispered to the Poke Ball, “Please don’t blow up,” before gently rolling it across the threshold, bowling ball style.

As soon as the ball passed through the door, it opened to reveal the Alolan Geodude. Comet closed his eyes tight, cringing deeply with his fingers in his ears. When he didn’t feel an explosion, he slowly opened his eyes and pulled out his fingers. All he heard was the standard Geodude cry.

“Okay, we’re all still more or less alive. Time for step two.”

Slowly, carefully, Comet approached the generator on the exam table and grabbed the conductor cables. He turned to look at his newest patient. Sparks were pouring out of the black antennas at the top of the Geodude’s head. She let out a groaning growl and rubbed furiously at her eyes, making the sparks scatter like a fountain.

Trying not to gag out of sheer fear, Comet lifted his eyes skyward as he knelt with cables extended in his hands, and began to pray.

“Dear sweet Arceus, please forgive me for my sins and protect me from this batshit thing I am about to do. I’m sorry for all the bad grades I got in school. I’m sorry for all the stealing and fighting. I’m sorry for that time I replaced Steel’s shampoo with glue even though it was actually really funny. I’m sorry for the one time I went to jail and all the other times I should have gone to jail but didn’t. I’m really sorry for all the cursing. And I promise if I make it through this with all my limbs and appendages intact I will never punch anyone ever again. Amen.”

Comet sucked in a breath and attached the cables.

The sparks stopped.

So did Comet’s breathing.

The Geodude blinked...and then sighed.

“...So you’re not gonna explode?”

With a vacant smile, the Geodude said, “Not until later.”

“Okay goo-wait, what?”

There was a knock at the door. Comet lurched, startled, and cracked his head off the bottom of the hanging monitor. A flurry of sparks erupted from the Geodude’s head, and Comet scampered away as best he could while clutching his rapidly bruising scalp. Mercifully, the sparks died down again with another sigh from the Geodude.

The clinic door slowly opened, and Cadence peered inside timidly. “Hey, Comet, I’m back with the coffee! ...Wow, what did I miss?”

After carefully getting the Geodude set up at the far end of the isolation unit, Cadence and Comet went to work on dying Comet’s hair.

“Hold on one second,” said Cadence, pulling out their Xtransceiver, “I have a question I have to ask Mama before I get started.”

Comet nodded and sipped at his coffee, holding the cup like it was life itself.

Cadence’s Xtransceiver hummed, and then a woman’s face appeared on the screen with a wide, inviting smile. She had Cadence’s same round face, bronze skin, and dark hair piled up in a messy bun on top of her head. “My little Cadencia!”, she crowed in a thick Hoennese accent.

Cadence flushed and managed to get out a weak, “Hola Mama,” before they were interrupted.

“It has been two days!” she said, her smile quickly turning into a disapproving frown. “Why would you make your mama worry this way?” Then her eyes fell on Comet, and suddenly the image of a ceiling was all they could see on the screen. Cadence’s mother hastily bent to pick up her xtransceiver from the floor, the motion making her face look wide and distorted. “Is that my Cometito with you?!”

Comet released one hand from his coffee and waved. “Hi, Mama Maria.”

“Cometito! You are worse than my little Densi! It has been so long since you’ve visited.”

Half a smile broke through Comet’s features. Everyone treated him differently after the incident, but leave it to Mama Maria to pick up just where they left off- with a good old fashioned scolding. “I’m sorry, Mama. I’ll try to visit soon.” And he meant it, too. Mama Maria was the closest thing Comet had to a real mother. She and Cadence accepted him into their family with open arms when he had nowhere else to go. Whenever he wasn’t on active duty with the Kanto Bough, their house was where he stayed.

“The reason I called,” Cadence said with emphasis, “was to ask you a question. We’re dying Comet’s hair black and I want to know if we have to bleach it first or not.”

Mama Maria looked like she had just been slapped. “WHAT?! Black?! Cometito...please tell me you aren’t changing your beautiful yellow hair. Young men would kill to have hair that color, and here you squander it!”

Embarrassment heated Comet’s cheeks. “Well, I don’t really have much of a choice…”

“Ay…” said Mama Maria, disgusted, “You kids got yourself into trouble again, didn’t you?”

I didn’t!” cried Cadence, indignant. They were so flustered now that their own Hoennese accent, usually near-indetectable, was starting to show.

“Nah, you’re in trouble too, Little Sib. By association,” said Comet through a sip of coffee.

“Densi, you cannot lie to your mama!”

“Comet’s in love with another girl he just met!”

“Ay, Kyogre… Do not change the subject, Densi, I will deal with him and his moon eyes later-”

As the arguing between mother and child continued, Comet let his mind wander as he surveyed the nursery Pokemon. Everyone had migrated back away from the designated safety corner now that the Geodude was mostly secure. Everyone except Kestrelsight, who continued to quiver with her beak as far up against the joining of the walls as she could possibly get it. This time, however, she was at least laying down and appeared to be sleeping.

“Cometito, are you listening?”

Comet straightened and looked back at the Xtransceiver. “Yes, Mama?”

To Comet’s surprise, Mama Maria was looking very serious. She almost seemed on the verge of tears. “I want you and Densi to promise me you will be careful. You make your mama worry so. I just want you both to stay safe.”

A pang struck Comet’s heart. Even after all that’s happened, she still cares. “Hey, don’t worry. We’ll be okay. I promise we’ll do our best to be less stupid. Really.”

Cadence nodded, blinking rapidly.

“Do not bleach the hair. Just dye it the way it is. Adios, my loves.”

Cadence said goodbye and hung up the phone. They turned to Comet. “I’m sorry about that. She means well. She just is so afraid we’re gonna end up like-”

“I know,” said Comet, sparing Cadence from having to say it out loud. His friend nodded and started to work on the dye, seeming relieved.

Comet knew all too well why Mama Maria was so worried about them. Cadence had an older brother once, before Comet had joined the Bough. He was a Pokemon trainer when they lived back in Hoenn, but he died in a freak accident. He was in a battle against a Swalot and it hit him straight in the face with a Venoshock. Comet had only found out the details from Moon; Cadence and their mom tried not to talk much about it.

Suddenly, a sharp chirping sound broke Comet from his thoughts. He turned his head to see Kessie, her eyes squeezed shut, trembling and whimpering in her sleep.

“Try not to turn your head, okay?” said Cadence. “Otherwise I’ll end up dying your ear instead.”

“Sorry, Cade. Hey, Kessie! Kess! Why don’t you come lay by me?”

The Pidgeotto woke with a start and peered at Comet through her goggled eyes. Comet had adjusted the elastic band earlier so that they fit her head again. “Come on,” he said. “It’s okay.”

She got to her feet, trotted over, and hopped right into his lap. Comet couldn’t help but to jerk in surprise. Cadence let out a sigh and started rubbing Comet’s forehead with a towel. Gently scratching Kestrelsight’s neck feathers, Comet watched in bewilderment as she slowly started to settle down and fall asleep in his lap. He turned around to look at Cadence. “Are you seeing this?”

“All I’m seeing is what’s about to be the worst dye job in history if you don’t. Stay. Still.”

Comet put up his hands and turned his attention back to the bird of his lap. Kestrelsight might be bumping herself up to a close second favorite, right behind Phoenixfall. Comet frowned. Phoenixfall. How long has she been on her own already? He needed to get that grant, and soon.

Glancing at the clock made Comet chew on his lip. The Cerulean City gym wouldn’t be open for much longer. “Hey, Little Sib? How much longer do you think this is gonna take?”

“Why? Are you late for your gym match?”

Comet nearly fell out of the chair in shock. A new vein had appeared on Cadence’s temple that Comet had never seen before. “How did you know?!”

Cadence put the finishing touches on Comet’s hair and then went to work cleaning up spilled dye. “I had a suspicion that you just confirmed. The professor was worried that you never took any money from him, but you’ve still somehow managed to get enough funds to keep this place afloat. Moon and I saw how collecting donations was going for you, so I figured this would be your natural next step.”

Comet blanched. “Please don’t tell Moon. She’ll be sure to tell Professor Oak and then he’ll never let me back on the Bough. Promise you won’t tell anyone, please!”

Conflict evident in their eyes, Cadence sighed again. “You know I would never give away your secrets, Comet. But I’m starting to think my mom is right. You really need to start being more careful. This isn’t what the professor meant when he gave you this assignment.”

“Yeah. Well, I’m making my own meaning. I don’t care what anyone says, these Pokemon can fight just like anybody else, better even, and I’m challenging this gym.”

Cadence gave a wry smile. “I figured as much. That’s why I got the fastest hair dye. Good luck tonight.”

For those who are interested, here is the medical chart for our newest patient! This condition was inspired by an episode in the anime. Fictional illnesses are some of my favorite ones to include in this ruleset, and I'm excited to introduce more as the story progresses!

Trade

Image result for alolan geodude

Species: Alolan Geodude
Sex: female
Nature: Modest; Confidence points:
Characteristic: Alert to sounds
Diagnosis: severe Fictional illness- electrical overload
Prognosis: 15% chance of exploding (now 12%). 5% chance of healing that increases by 5% each day. Exploding causes the death of the Pokemon and can harm nearby Pokemon and damage the facility itself.
Limitations: Aggressive in battle. Each turn, there is a chance that the Pokemon will attack the trainer. It may also use random moves. After using its first electric move, there is a 10% chance of exploding. Each successful electric move decreases negative effects. Being hit by an electric move may cause an explosion; chances depend on the strength of the move.
Treatment: Using electricity, either in battle or via a generator ($75). When using a generator, chances of explosion decreases by 3% each day, chances of healing increase by 5% each day.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
“I don’t want a head anymore, I just want coffee,”
This is a mood. (For me it's not coffee so much as hot cocoa with CBD oil, since I'm not supposed to have caffeine anymore. Honestly, I don't miss it.)

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Jenny 5 was soft and always let him off easy. Jenny 1 was too slow to catch him and Jenny 3 was mentally too slow- gullible as all hell, she would fall for anything. Jenny 4 was lazy and always pretended like she couldn’t see him so she didn’t have to put up with the arrest paperwork. And Jenny 2 was terrified of fish for some reason, so that was an easy fix.

But Jenny 6… there was no escaping Jenny 6. She was the one who finally caught him in the end, way back then.
👀 Criminal backstory? a criminal with a magikarp tho???

Wait, explode? What would have happened if you didn't have the money for a generator? 😰

He found the Spearow and Abra huddled up in the same nest together, sound asleep.
I love them. 🥺

“Absolutely not,” said Comet, deciding the two adorable little critters were going right next to Kessie’s name on the list of Pokemon to protect at all costs. Gathering the nest in his arms, Comet carried the two friends over to the shelter corner. Abra gave a little sigh, completely undisturbed.
Good choice. ❤️

“Listen, Comet,” he said, “You’re going to need to be very, very careful throughout this process. Any sudden moves or stress could set the Geodude off-”

“It’s gonna explode. We don’t have a prayer.”
🙏 ❌ 💥

She gave him a grave nod, took off her nurse’s hat, and clutched it to her chest. Comet swallowed.
Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. >_>

“...So you’re not gonna explode?”

With a vacant smile, the Geodude said, “Not until later.”
55f.jpg

but just for this geodude or..?

Half a smile broke through Comet’s features. Everyone treated him differently after the incident, but leave it to Mama Maria to pick up just where they left off- with a good old fashioned scolding. “I’m sorry, Mama. I’ll try to visit soon.” And he meant it, too. Mama Maria was the closest thing Comet had to a real mother. She and Cadence accepted him into their family with open arms when he had nowhere else to go. Whenever he wasn’t on active duty with the Kanto Bough, their house was where he stayed.
🥺 Te amo, Mama Maria.

I also love Kessie the snuggle bird. ❤️

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Ooh I do wonder what's the deal with Comet's history with the Jennies!

It's really cute and even inspiring seeing how Comet is starting to bond with his little crew, I do hope this path will take him where he wants cause that's hardly trivial with all that he has been through and the way others currently view him.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
It's sad that Comet's idea of "rest" at this point is taking care of an about to explode Geodude while Candence dyes his hair and calls her mom. The Geodude still makes it somewhat frantic but calming in comparison to everything else that has been happening so far. With all that's going on I can see why Maria is terrified for Comet. A legendary broke lose, destroyed a pokemon center killing tens of people and she hasn't even heard from Comet in months. No one told her about the Geodude, while she is probably used to Comet doing something stupid and getting nearly arrested, the Geodude would probably reawaken her fear of Comet meeting the same fate as Cadence's brother. Still Kestrelsight sitting on Comet's lap was pretty cute, and I it was funny how the officer Jenny actively went out of her way to avoid questioning Comet XD.
“Comet’s in love with another girl he just met!”
So Comet has declared that he's in love with a girl he just met before. This just makes Cat even more suspicious. Someone working somewhere shady could possibly get the information that Comet is quick to fall in love with people, and play the ultimate soul mate to gain his trust. Please don't let Cat be evil. At least she isn't working for team rocket...
This is Capitalist Dystopia: The Nuzlocke. Also Healthcare Burnout: The Nuzlocke.
This sums up the nuzlocke pretty well. Comet started battling with ill pokemon just to afford to take care of them, and the medicine costs rack up day after day. Comet's even trying to squeeze out one last battle in the day just to pay for medical equipment and medicine. As all this intense stuff happens back to back you can really start to feel his burnout after a while, especially when he's just about to take care of that Geodude. Now I'm just imagining healthcare workers having as stressful a day as Comet is having. Having to deal with life threatening illness after life threatening injury must be pretty tiring, and I feel like I've never really thought about the dozens of patients doctors see before they see me before.

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
OK back and caught up
The new girl, Cat, is interesting
A bit messed up that she's the only person who seems to remember that Comet did more stuff than be thrown through a Pokecenter
Comet does still need to learn his lesson that he can't always be a hero and I get that he's looking for vindication without recognizing the faults that got him in his current position, but it still seems off that almost everyone is treating him like a danger except Cat

EDIT:
Ok back because I figured out a better way to word this
Comet has a lesson to learn
Mewtwo’s actions aren’t directly his fault and his treatment is not completely fair
But he does bare responsibility for being the one to unleash Mewtwo because of his hero complex and that needs to be addressed
And it seems that other people are aware that’s what needs to be addressed
But no one seems to be taking any actions to do that
I feel like there are a bunch of characters who are upset that Comet isn’t learning the lesson they’re not teaching him
I may be missing/forgetting something, it is 2 am, but I don’t think anyone has sat down with him to get him to recognize his fault that caused this to begin with
They just make disappointed faces and refuse to elaborate
End edit

Also Steel
Steel
I get you're the a-hole rival
But this is just absurdly petty
A city is falling and you want to take time to throw rocks down at a man already in a twenty foot deep hole

And then dealing with a small bomb and a wanted poster that you'd think more people would recognize and go "wait isn't he in Viridian?"
Still, fun tension to get through an next is a gym
This won't go horribly I'm sure

Last edited:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay, y'all, this is hilarious.

Shades and I are moving to a new apartment this week and while cleaning out my stuff, I found a folder full of handwritten papers from my elementary school days. And I found this gem:

vpVOahK.jpg

pXKqCsR.jpg

That was from when I used to pretend to be a veterinarian. That was my list of 'tools'. So while other little kids were playing with dolls, I was using a freakin centesis needle on my imaginary patients. In case anyone was wondering why I am the way I am today.

@Trollkitten - I actually don't drink coffee either believe it or not; I just have a nice glass of water in the morning and I'm good to go! But Comet seems like a typical coffee person lol.

@Bowser's Family Vacation - So basically, if I didn't have the money for a generator, our Geodude friend would have had a certain percent chance of exploding each 'night' and if I used her in battle. She still has this chance, but the odds are WAY better with a generator. It's all about the almighty and unforgiving RNG. Lots of cuties in this update, I'm glad you're liking them :) I was super pumped to introduce Mama Maria; she's a ton of fun.

@RubyClaw - Yeah Comet's got some explaining to do! And a long journey ahead, so hopefully they can all continue to get along!

@ACottontail - Yeahhh poor Comet can't catch a break. Thank goodness for Cadence and their coffee-bringing skills. But you summed it up very well, and Comet is going to need a lot more than coffee to keep up with the needs of all his patients!

@Uberle - Loving the conflicting feelings on Comet's relationship with society as a whole and with Cat. Very much intentional that there's confusion there. You seem more on the sympathetic side toward Comet which is interesting! But good because of course we know he's not a bad guy.

*****TW for this update- depictions of PTSD*****

Chapter 14
Smooooke on the waaaaater
Fire in the sky

The song Comet had chosen for the battle with Misty was fitting- Bravewhisker had ‘smoked’ Misty’s water types with Zap Tackle in a matter of minutes. That had been their plan, after all. They didn’t have much choice but to make it as fast as possible. Because…

The little Pikachu swayed on his feet, wheezing. Kestrelsight, who had been on standby in case things went south, stared with her wide, worried eyes at her teammate. Bravewhisker let out another strained cough and started to sit on the ground. Comet hastily withdrew him back into his ball. The last thing he needed was another lecture like Brock had given him.

But, to Comet’s surprise, Misty was approaching him with a wide grin. “That was amazing!” she said genially.

Comet ran his fingers through his now-black hair, trying to construct a smile that didn’t make him look guilty. “Yeah, Bravewhisker really knows his stuff.”

Misty clapped the Cascade badge into his palm and then covered his hand with hers. Her eyes were glowing with earnest admiration. “Seriously, I think what you’re doing is so great. I mean, just look at her!” she knelt down next to Kestrelsight and scratched her neck feathers. The Pidgeotto stiffened briefly but allowed the touch to continue with a quiet coo. “I think it’s wonderful that you’re giving these Pokemon a chance, Peter. Did you know you can televise your matches? I think it would be a great way to raise awareness for your cause.”

Comet tried to keep his smile from faltering. Televised matches? Sounds like a great way to draw lots and lots of attention. The dyed hair wouldn’t fool Oak if he saw it. “That’s a good idea. I’ll think about it, but Kessie here is pretty camera shy.”

“Aw, poor girl,” said Misty. “Still, I would love to see how you do with the rest of your challenge! I hope my grant helps you out.”

She handed him a check. It was a lot more generous than Brock’s, partly because it was a 2-badge team and partly because he hadn’t been docked for anything about his performance this time. This would go a long way when he took Spearow and Abra to the Saffron City Clinic in the morning. “It definitely will,” he said, somewhat awestruck at the sum in his hands.

Misty smiled again, and Comet struggled to return the expression. He was starting to forget how to act around non-hostile strangers. “Our builders will go to work soon on putting that pool in for you too,” she said. “You said you have a Magikarp, right? I would love to see her.”

Comet gulped. Phoenixfall was still swimming out in the waters of Cerulean City; there had been no time to retrieve her before the gym closed. But he dare not tell Misty that. Although she was being nice enough now, Comet had watched enough of Misty’s matches to know that she was one tough customer. If she thought he was mistreating his Pokemon, he knew he would be seeing a whole different side of her right now. “She’s actually back at the clinic,” he said instead.

“Ah, too bad,” said Misty. “Do you know what gym you’re gonna challenge next?”

“I actually haven’t thought that far ahead,” Comet said truthfully. The nearest gyms were the ones in The Diamond. There was Sabrina, in Saffron. That was a big no. Everyone knew Sabrina was one of the toughest gym leaders, maybe even tougher than Blue. Plus, the idea of facing off against psychic Pokemon made Comet’s stomach turn. Then, there was Celadon City....

Comet did not want to go back to Celadon City.

That only left one option. “I guess I’ll go to Vermillion next. It’s a little far, but having the underground tunnel under Saffron helps.” Surge was tough, but with the Moon Stone from Cat...Cat. He had to find out what happened to her, somehow...

The disappearance of Misty’s smile stilled Comet’s racing thoughts. “Just...when you meet Lt. Surge…” she sighed. “How do I put this? He’s kind of… old fashioned. He might not feel the same way I do about your team. So try to be careful?”

“I will,” said Comet, but he was actually looking forward to meeting the Electric gym leader, maybe moreso than any of the others. He was always so badass-no nonsense. Plus, if he could evolve Spikepelt beforehand, the battle would be cake.

Mmm...cake...Comet could go for some cake. And coffee. The coffee from Cadence had long since worn off, and Comet was starting to sway. The weariness was working its way into his mind again. He tried to formulate a semi-normal goodbye to Misty, but all that came out was, “Bed.”

“That’s...probably a good idea,” she said, her expression full of concern.

He held up a hand. Knowing his mouth needed to say words to alleviate her worries, Comet said, “Thank you. Bed.” before stumbling out the door.

Bed.

It was the most beautiful thing Comet had ever felt.

After returning from the gym, Comet barely had enough strength left to give PM meds. Even then, he needed help from an even more exhausted Bravewhisker when he spilled Oddish’s Phenobarbital all over the counter and nearly wilted right then and there. Thankfully, even Spikepelt seemed to realize the extent of their exhaustion and was cooperative for his eyedrops.

Relief flooded his body as soon as his head hit the pillow. Just the act of not having to hold himself upright anymore was pure ecstasy. Grabbing his soft blankets, he wrapped himself tightly and smiled. He couldn’t remember the last time he felt so genuinely excited to go to sleep. Setting his alarm for the Saffron City Clinic appointment dampened the mood somewhat- he needed to be up even earlier than usual so he could finish passing morning meds before he left. But still. The day was finally over.

With a contented sigh, Comet reached over, turned off the lamp on his nightstand, and closed his eyes.

Instead of the inside of his eyelids, Comet was staring right into Mewtwo’s glowing, violet eyes.

He jerked with a gasp and sat bolt upright. Heart pounding, he looked around. The monitor screens on the wall lit up the room enough that he could still see pretty clearly. He was still in his room. Nothing to be afraid of.

He layed back down, turning to his other side. Yes, that was much more comfortable, this would be better...He closed his eyes…

Goldenflame’s yellow paws scrambled in the air, surrounded by purple energy. She soared through the air, toward that house.

This time he jumped up with a cry, flinging off his blankets. Chest heaving. Hands shaking.

Comet took a deep breath, trying to control his breathing. “It’s okay,” he whispered to himself. “You’ll get to sleep soon. You just need to make yourself even more tired, that’s all. Then you’ll have no choice but to sleep.”

But, oh, Dear Arceus. He did not want to leave this bed. He barely even wanted to move. But the clock was ticking, and he needed as much sleep as he could possibly get. So he got up and went to his weights.

Every motion of his arms brought a fresh pang of exhaustion. But he pressed on, working and working until his muscles felt like they were going to tear under the strain. He dropped the weights with a heavy thud, panting. This was as tired as he could possibly make himself. He could curl up on the floor right now and fall asleep. Comet thought about that and nodded. Maybe the bed was the problem anyway. Laying down right where he was, he rolled over and closed his eyes…

Waterfall, rising up through the roof of the Viridian City Pokemon Center, dripping blood, his body hanging in that horrible upside down ‘U’ shape…

He threw himself forward, clutching his necklace tight in a fist. It moved up and down with his heaving chest. Digging the fingers of his other hand into his forehead, Comet let out a long, slow whimper. His eyes squeezed shut as tight as he could, but the tears managed to stream out anyway. The next exhale came out in an agonized whisper, “Please just let me sleep. I’m so tired. Please, please, please…” Putting his head in his knees, the words dissolved into quiet sobs.

A little chirping sound came from the doorway.

Comet picked his head up, quickly rubbing his eyes with the back of one hand. A goggled Pidgeotto stood in the doorway.

“Kessie, what are you doing up?” The words came out like a croak, and Comet cleared his throat. “I’m okay, Kess, I promise. You go ahead back to sleep.”

Kestrelsight only cocked her head, her trembling intensifying.

Comet let out a sigh. “You can’t sleep either, huh?”

She cooed and took a tentative step through the doorway. Comet sniffed and rubbed under his nose. “It’s okay. You can come in.”

The Pidgeotto entered, her little half-hopping steps drawing a weak smile out of Comet. She settled herself in his lap, nestling her head in the feathers between her wings. Comet ran one hand down her back. Her feathers were soft and sleek against his skin.

“Don’t tell the other guys about this,” said Comet through a yawn, “Especially not Spikepelt. If he finds out I’m a big wimp, he’ll never listen to me.”

Kestrelsight’s slow, steady breathing was the only response. Comet’s own breathing followed suit, and he was laying down before he realized he was moving. Soon after, the comfort of darkness found him.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Those notes are adorable! No doubt your nurturing nature and affinity for medicine were there from the very beginning.

I admit, that was a touching one. Very well written. Poor, poor Comet. At least he has his new buddies by his side.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
Aw, baby Specs! 🥺 I bet she'd be so happy to know that you're in the medical field now. :)
Yay for a supportive Gym Leader! please call comet by his name though

I like your explanation for the canonical gym-fighting order. (I mean, gameplay-wise, Erika is so easy, why wouldn't you fight her before Surge?)

“How do I put this? He’s kind of… old fashioned. He might not feel the same way I do about your team. So try to be careful?”

“I will,” said Comet, but he was actually looking forward to meeting the Electric gym leader, maybe moreso than any of the others. He was always so badass-no nonsense.
Future Comet:
59174256.jpg

🛏️

“Please just let me sleep. I’m so tired. Please, please, please…” Putting his head in his knees, the words dissolved into quiet sobs.

A little chirping sound came from the doorway.

Comet picked his head up, quickly rubbing his eyes with the back of one hand. A goggled Pidgeotto stood in the doorway.

“Kessie, what are you doing up?” The words came out like a croak, and Comet cleared his throat. “I’m okay, Kess, I promise. You go ahead back to sleep.”
Emotional support bird! 🐦 ❤️

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Of course with an electric type to breeze through the gym, Misty would be much easier than Brock. Though I'm pretty worried about how Bravewhisker was doing at the end of the battle. It looks like he doesn't have much time left. That part at the end was pretty painful. Comet wants nothing more than to sleep yet his past haunts him. At first I thought it was Mewtwo messing with Comet again, but I remembered the content warning, and I feel like you really drove in the feeling of bad thoughts haunting Comet. Though the moment at the end where Kestrelsight and Comet comforted each other was pretty cute.

I noticed you put the fanart I made for you in the first post (yay!). But can you please give credit for the art.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
“If this Pokemon Center collapses today, I’m leaving the planet.”
This line made me laugh more than it should. Just picturing Comet packing up his bags and stomping off the planet in his scrubs leaving a trail of Geodude soot behind him. I mean if the geodude does decide to explode it would make for a good Heros of Space crossover. :)

Users who are viewing this thread