• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Kanto Teen The Hippocratic Oath (Chapter 14 11/6/21; please see TW before reading)

What rulesets should I use for my accompanying SSWL run?

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke combination

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Naturelocke only (Maybe with monotype rules)

• Doc-locke only (maybe with lorelocke rules)

• Naturelocke/Doc-locke/Lorelocke monstrosity

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Thread Description
The dramatic retelling of my Let's Go Pikachu playthrough with Doc-locke and Super Naturelocke rulesets.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Well, folks, the day has come. The day I finally bite the bullet and post not only my first true written story, but my first PLANNED, GAMEPLAY IS FINISHED posted run.

That means I don't have the "it's nothing serious, I was just writing as I play" excuse I hid behind with my last two runs if things go south.

That means I'm scared silly.

BUT! I am here anyway, sharing with you the story of my Doc-locke/ Super Naturelocke of Let's Go Pikachu. As I said before, the gameplay is already finished , and I have a decently thorough story outline planned from beginning to end. I also might even try to follow an update schedule for this?! I know, I promise I'm not an imposter. My gameplay notes for this thing are 51 google docs pages long; I think that should be enough to prove it's really me.

Before I start, given the nature of this run (which is essentially medical drama meets Pokemon), I feel the need to include a trigger warning here while I discuss the rating.

I think so far I'm gonna give this a solid Teen rating. There is going to be quite a bit of foul language, but little to no sexually explicit content. There won't be excessive on-screen violence outside of the typical Pokemon battle shenanigans, and there will be some blood and such in regard to the 'medical' aspect of the run, but I'm not planning on getting too detailed with that either. If I do, I will give a suitable warning before the chapter starts.

Despite the T rating, I wavered about giving a Mature rating due to some sensitive topics that will be covered. There are quite a few real-life injuries and illnesses covered in this run, and I'm sure every one of us has personal experience with at least one of the situations and diagnoses that are showcased in this run. And I don't think it's a spoiler to say that sometimes these Pokemon characters will die from their injuries/illnesses. The vibe I am going for here is relatively lighthearted while remaining respectful. Therefore, if I am covering a more serious diagnoses/topic, I will give a suitable trigger warning before the update-even to the point of including spoilers to said characters fate if I feel it necessary to give readers an accurate idea of if they would be uncomfortable or triggered by reading about said character. And if anyone has any concerns or worries I haven't addressed, I am absolutely open to comments and/or DMs on here or on Discord to discuss it!

Since this is my first fully planned story, I'm making this sucker a critique level 3! More details on that here.

1. Doc-locke rules
2. Super Naturelocke rules
3. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and cannot be used in battle.
4. You may only catch one Pokemon per area. Since this is Let's Go Pikachu, I am simulating my own random encounters based on the encounter rate percentage tables on Serebii and using an RNG to determine my "first encounter".
5. Battle style is set.

Wow, only 5 rules?! I am being so sane and reasonable this time guys!! Don't click the links.

Follow along for the adventures of Comet, a... spirited young trainer who was a member of Professor Oak's elite team of heroes who traveled across the regions to fight against the more nefarious members of the Pokemon world. After a tragic accident, Comet finds himself responsible for the Viridian City Clinic- where Pokemon are sent if Nurse Joy's healing machine just won't cut it. Accompanied by a dying Pikachu, a traumatized Pidgey, and a belligerent baby Nidoran, Comet must learn what it means to not only heal, but to be healed in return.

07o1vwr.png

Bravewhisker, Kestrelsight, and Spikepelt by @ACottontail

Last edited:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chapter 1
There are a lot of things that could go wrong when you’re a Pokémon trainer. You could lose a battle to some asshole kid with a type advantage and a lucky crit and end up with an empty wallet. Of course, that’s nothing but a minor annoyance. You could lose one of your beloved teammates forever, if you were really unlucky. All it takes is one wrong decision, one bad command, and your partner could be dead. Hell, if you’re really not careful, you yourself can even be killed. Because they don’t tell you this in school, but Pokémon are really fucking dangerous. You could be burned. Eaten. Crushed. Electrocuted. Drowned. Poisoned. Frozen solid. Mind raped. And if you can believe it, you can even be carried away by a damn balloon creature.

But by far, Comet thought, the worst thing that could ever happen to a trainer is to disappoint Professor Samuel Oak. And he had been living that nightmare every single day for months.

The professor led Comet into the newly rebuilt Viridian City Pokemon Center, stiff-backed and formal. Looking around at the shiny new walls, the smooth granite countertops, and the state-of -the-art healing table behind it, Comet felt a small swell of pride. It had taken over 4 months of long, hard work to rebuild the center. Comet’s muscles still ached from all the hours spent putting up beams, laying down the roof, and moving furniture. Building had taken up all of his time for the past few months. Well, that and studying for his latest...assignment. He gave Professor Oak a tentative smile- it was their first time seeing the results of their labor on the inside.

But the professor barely spared him a glance. He pressed on, jaw set firmly. Ready to deliver Comet to his fate. The young trainer’s smile turned into a scowl and anger curled his hands into fists. How long would he be paying Oak’s price? Wasn’t months of exhausting physical labor enough? The accident wasn’t even his fault, dammit....not really, anyway.

Oak stepped up to the counter and was greeted by a bubbly Nurse Joy who gave him a nod that was so deep it was almost a bow. “Welcome to the new Viridian City Pokemon Center, Professor!” she chirped in a syrupy sweet voice.

The Professor smiled warmly. Even under less than pleasant circumstances, it didn’t take much to brighten the Professor’s mood. Comet had always loved that about him. A dull ache pulsed through him that had nothing to do with his tired muscles. Things would never be the same again, he just knew it.

“Thank you kindly, Nurse Joy,” Oak replied. His smile faded as he said, “I’m here to drop off the new clinician.”

The Joy looked at Comet, and her face fell flat. It was almost startling- Comet had never seen a Nurse Joy without a smile before. This one gave him a look of disgust, and Comet’s lip curled up into an involuntary grimace. Even her Chansey seemed to glare at him.

“Oh,” said Nurse Joy, “Right. Follow me.”

The Joy led them behind the counter and to the downstairs component of the Pokemon Center, where they came to a bolted door with a keyboard on the side. “Just type in the clinician’s name and it will take you to their clinic,” she said briskly before returning upstairs.

Comet began to type “C-O-M-” when Professor Oak stopped him.

“Not that name,” he said quietly.

No way. Comet whirled to face the Professor, face reddening with rage. “So you’re even taking that from me now?” he spat before he could stop himself.

A tired sigh escaped the Professor. It seemed he had aged ten years since...the incident. The lines on his forehead deepened as he spoke. “I am not doing this to spite you, Comet. I just think it may be best to keep your identity on the quieter side right now, given your repu...ah, given the way things stand right now. It’s simply the best way for you to succeed as a clinician.”

Clinician,” Comet spat the word like a curse, “I am not a clinician, professor! I’m just not meant for this! Don’t you understand?”

Professor Oak finally met his gaze. The old man’s eyes were so tired. Tired and full of sorrow. Though Comet had wished the professor would look at him before, now he found himself squirming under his mentor’s gaze. “It’s just the way it has to be.”

Comet’s voice took a pleading tone. “Please, Professor, don’t make me do this. I was a hero! That’s my destiny; I always knew it was! Just let me back on the Kanto Bough, please, and I promise I won’t make any more mistakes, and really when you think about it it wasn’t even my fault-”

Stop.

Professor Oak’s voice was quiet, but the word came out with so much force and sharpness that it froze Comet in his tracks. His anger puttered out into a queasy shame. “Professor, I’m sorry.”

Wordlessly, the professor punched in the code to the door. Each letter was a twist in Comet’s guts. His real name. No-the name his parents gave him. His real name was Comet’s Fury. A warrior’s name. One he gave himself.

But, false name or not, the door knew the word. And with a whir of electricity and a flash of blue light, the door opened to Comet’s new prison.

The clinic was… small. The entrance led straight into the main exam room, which contained the operating table in the center and not much else. Cabinets lined the walls, and there were shelves filled with basic medical supplies- gauze, tape, towels and the like. In one corner stood a small bookshelf with various medical reference textbooks. A monitor screen hung down from the ceiling near the table, with a keypad similar to the one on the doorway attached to one side.

Upon stepping through the threshold, a sudden noise coming from Professor Oak’s person startled Comet. A red light appeared from the professor’s pocket and projected onto the floor, where it rapidly materialized into a very, very old Pikachu. The little Pokemon coughed fitfully before looking around, sniffing cautiously at his new surroundings.

“The hell did he come from?” asked Comet. The Pikachu glanced at him irritably and scratched behind his ear with a shaky hind leg.

“Poke Balls don’t work in clinics,” the professor explained. “They operate on the same system as Bill’s storage boxes. I linked this clinic to your trainer account, so any patients I assign to you will be sent to what used to be your storage boxes, and they will manifest here in your clinic. This Pikachu will be one of your first patients, and will also serve as a sort of guide to help you treat.”

Comet raised an eyebrow. “I know my medical training was kind of a crash course, but are you really saying a Pikachu knows more than me?”

Red cheeks sparking, Pikachu let out a low growl that turned into a wheeze. “Professor, this kid is an arrogant whelp. Please don’t make me work with him.”

Well, he didn’t say those words out loud, but Comet knew what he meant plain as if the little mouse had written it down and mailed it to him. People think that Pokemon can’t talk. Comet knew better. A Pokemon’s vocalizations, their body language, their eyes… if you just took the time to watch and listen carefully, it’s easy to understand what they’re trying to say. He was surprised more people hadn’t figured that out. Sometimes it takes a little while to get to know the Pokemon first before their language can be deciphered, but Pikachu was clear as a bell.

Whether the professor understood the Pikachu’s plea or not, he gave no inclination. Instead, he gave Comet a level look and said, “He belonged to the previous clinician of the Viridian City Pokemon Center.”

Comet’s jaw clacked shut. Oh.

Pikachu’s glare deepened, sparks still raining from his cheeks. “And I would have belonged to her still had it not been for you, kid. Don’t think I’m not aware of that.”

Guilt made Comet’s ears grow hot, but he shook his head. No. Not my fault.

Professor Oak continued. “As I’m sure you’ve already noticed, Pikachu’s breathing is compromised. He has been battling a respiratory illness commonly seen in rodent-like species. And although he survived the collapse of the Center and Clinic mostly unscathed, he had breathed in a significant amount of smoke and debris by the time rescuers found him. His condition is very fragile right now, and so he needs to be very careful not to overexert himself. I’ve been taking care of him myself at the lab while the rebuild was in process. Even with the treatment we’ve been providing so far, I’m afraid that he is entering more of a hospice situation due to his age and the severity of the condition. The goal is to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.”

Oak reached into his lab coat pocket and pulled out a small bottle with liquid inside. “This,” he said, “is tetracycline-an antibiotic. He gets a half a milliliter by mouth twice per day-once in the morning and once in the evening. If his condition worsens you can increase the dosage to a full milliliter, but you should only do that one time because he’s ultimately a DNR- do not resuscitate- so he doesn’t suffer. If it starts to come to that, give me a call. I wouldn’t expect you to make such a decision on your own. I also recommend investing in a humidifier. It would help his breathing greatly, and you may be able to use it for future patients as well.”

Comet stared at the professor blankly. The Pikachu sighed and hopped up on one of the countertops. He opened a drawer with his tail and fished around inside before pulling out a notebook, which he then flung at Comet’s head. “Write that down, halfwit.”

“Oh, come on, I don’t need to take notes. Half an mL twice a day and a humidifier-what’s so hard?” A flying pen cracked him hard in the nose. “Ow!”

Professor Oak gave a soft chuckle. “Pikachu, would you mind staying here in the exam room while I introduce Comet to the rest of his patients?”

The door at the back of the exam room led into a short hallway with two doors, one directly across the hall and one off to the left. Through the door across the hall was a large, open room where four Pokemon were milling about inside. The floor of the room was designed to replicate outside ground, with soft grass and patches of dirt covering the area. There were a few small beds scattered around, two of which were occupied by an old Pidgey and a Metapod. In one of the far back corners of the room stood another, younger Pidgey, her beak pressed against the wall. Her right wing was bound tightly against her back and she had what looked like a pair of goggles strapped around her head, making her eyes look wide and bulging. She did not stir as the two men entered the room.

The only Pokemon who seemed to be showing any signs of life was a tiny, male Nidoran who was playing in the center of the room. He dug furiously at the ground with his front paws and then threw himself on his back and rolled in the dirt, his spines kicking up more dust. The old Pidgey in the bed sneezed and buried her beak further into the feathers on her back. Attracted by the movement, the Nidoran plodded over to the Pidgey in an attempt to play, sniffing at her wing. The old Pidgey gave him a quick, sharp peck on the nose before returning to her sleep. The Nidoran scrambled away, but gave a glare and spat in the little bird’s direction before continuing his solitary play in the dirt. He was so small that Comet knew that he couldn’t be far past infancy- he hadn’t come close to growing into his ears yet.

Professor Oak gestured to the old Pidgey. “She’s relatively straightforward- type II diabetes. Two units of insulin twice per day should be enough to keep her stable. The Metapod…”

Comet looked closer at the bug Pokemon as Oak trailed off. He noticed that the chrysalis body seemed to have a dent in the middle.

“It’s a pretty rare condition but I have seen it before. He must have been stepped on or attacked while the chrysalis was being formed. Likely, he’s going to have physical defects from the misshapen cocoon when he fully evolves. But, the longer he stays in the cocoon, the greater his chances of dying before he even hatches. There is a chance he may not even survive the night, and the chances of fatality increase with each day thereafter. It would be wise to evolve him as soon as you can. Moon and Cadence are back in town; maybe they would be willing to help you train him.”

Comet’s spirits lifted. Moon and Cadence- his best friends and teammates from the Kanto Bough. They had been sent off on a mission in Galar not long after the rebuild in Viridian began, and so he hadn’t seen them since. Comet’s joy spoiled into nervousness. But did he really want his friends to see him like this? Outcast from their team of heroes to put band-aides on cuts and push pills? Comet shook his head. Moon would have been tempted to slap him if she had known he was thinking things like that. She was always so logical, and patient, and kind...the perfect leader for their crew.

And Cadence...Cadence practically idolized Comet. They would never think badly of him, no matter where he worked or what he had done. Plus, Cadence and their mom were the closest thing Comet had to a real family.

A strange sensation on Comet’s shoe broke him from his thoughts. He looked down and found the little Nidoran gnawing furiously on the tip of the sole. Comet gave a little shake of his foot, dislodging the purple creature. Nidoran looked up at him indignantly, his glare only slightly lessened by a gash through his right eye that made him squint on that side, before trotting off to his dirt pile again.

“That one’s pretty simple too, if not a tad spirited,” said Oak with a laugh, “He just needs to keep the wound clean and with some Ciprofloxacin eyedrops he should come out of this with only minor vision loss. You’ll have to keep Pikachu and him separated- that cough is contagious to other rodent-like species, which is why I had him stay behind in the exam room. Maybe we can see about getting you an isolation unit added on; I’ll see if I can pull some strings. I tried not to give you any difficult cases for your first couple patients, but...”

The professor’s gaze fell over the young Pidgey in the corner. “She might be more of a challenge,” he said quietly. “Her owner was killed battling Team Rocket. She tried her best to protect him, but she sustained a serious crush injury to her wing. Nerve damage. From her initial examination, it seems like it was from several Bites from a Golbat.” The little bird never so much as glanced back at them. She just stared at her corner, trembling faintly. “She likely won’t fly again. That wing needs to stay immobilized until the fractures heal, and the pain seems to be managed well with simple over the counter ibuprofen. Although she hasn’t been sleeping well at night; some Fluoxetine might help with that. We got her those goggles because it seems like she has somewhat low vision too; probably something she was born with that her trainer never caught.”

Comet scribbled furiously in his notebook as Professor Oak led him out of the nursery and into the other door at the end of the hall. “This will be your own bedroom,” Oak said as he opened the door. It was simple enough, with a regular twin bed and a small nightstand on the left side. The professor must have taken the liberty to have some of Comet’s belongings moved over- his weight sets and his Pokemon League poster featuring the famous Red. Taped recordings of the last ten years or so of league matches sat on his nightstand. “The monitor in the exam room also functions as a TV, in case you have any free time at night and want to put something on. The monitors in here, however, only have one function.”

Oak gestured to the wall on the right, which was lined with small screens. 5 of the screens were active- each one with the name of one of the Pokemon in the clinic. Each one also had several pulsing lines- heart rate, oxygen saturation, and temperature. “An alarm will sound if one of the Pokemon is in critical condition; that way you’ll know any time there is an emergency, even in the middle of the night. In the exam room there’s a case on the countertop with a diamond pattern on the outside. There are Revives inside- I’m sure you’ve seen them used before to wake fainted Pokemon, but they can also be used to increase your chances to resuscitate a dying Pokemon. Try to conserve them as much as you can- they’re quite hard to come by.”

Comet suppressed a sigh. Perfect. “Well hopefully I never have to worry about that,” he mumbled. This was already going to be stressful enough the way it is without sirens wailing and Pokemon having heart attacks in the middle of the night. “So I guess I can just give everyone their meds and be on my way then? Come back tonight and do it again?”

“Actually, they all already had their medicine this morning before we transferred them over to you.”

“Even better! I guess I’ll just go for a run, maybe try to meet up with Moon and Cadence, and I’ll be back toni-”

“Not so fast, Comet,” Oak said, his tone stern. “This clinic’s supplies were all lost during the attack. I provided you with the basics, as you saw in the exam room, but it will be your responsibility to raise the funds to restock on any medication you might need.”

Comet tried not to groan. “And how am I supposed to do that?” he asked through clenched teeth.

The professor handed him a bright red bucket that said ‘Viridian City Clinic fund’ in big white letters. “Donations.”

Comet took the bucket. There was a small handbell on the inside. “You have to be joking.”

“If you don’t have enough for everything you need by the end of the day, call me. You have my number in your Xtransceiver- I’ll keep my volume on loud so if you have any questions or need anything at any time, give me a call.”

Glowering down into the bucket, Comet couldn’t bring himself to lift his head. Bright red. Might as well be a clown nose. I used to be a fucking hero. He clutched the end of the cord around his neck- where a smooth blue scale and a lock of golden hair was tied. Normally it gave him comfort, but this time it only reminded him of what he had lost. He was running out of patience to stay respectful so he said in a tight voice, “Thanks for the tour. I’ll get started.”

Next update will be 5/1/21, and after that I plan to do biweekly updates UPDATES EVERY OTHER WEEK, good lord my subconsious is ambitious...on Saturdays. Thank you for reading!!

Last edited:

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Well, I'm always excited to see a new Spectacles run—complete with original and complicated rules, because it wouldn't truly be a Spectacles run without them, would it?—but even beyond knowing your previous works, this first chapter has pulled me in! You've set up the mystery of what exactly happened to the Viridian clinic and Comet's role in it, giving your readers hints but leaving enough unknown that I'm still curious. And speaking of Comet, I love the characterization he gets in just Chapter 1. He doesn't seem like a bad guy and has formed close relationships with others, but he has a lot of pride in himself—pride that could probably stand to be tempered by working in what he considers a job unworthy of him.

Plus, I haven't seen the whole "take care of sick/injured Pokémon" angle be explored much, and I know you have a medical background, so it'll be very interesting to see it come into play here. So you've already got someone eagerly waiting for Chapter 2!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I like the concept of writing an unique type of nuzlocke based on your own real-world profession -- this should be very interesting indeed. I'm curious about Comet's past and how that's going to affect his story going forward. I'm also somewhat more nervous about your party members surviving, given that they're coming into the battles with... well, to use the medical terminology, pre-existing conditions.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
The two rulesets you have here are pretty interesting. I like hearing about the rulesets each of the pokemon have in place. Time appears to be a rather valuable resource in the doclocke ruleset, and I imagine it can be tough to balance at times grinding enough so pokemon can survive trainer battles and maintaining enough money to take care of the pokemon.

Comet's situation of being left in charge of a clinic is also an interesting story premise for a nuzlocke. Though I wonder how well the battling aspect will go since some of the pokemon in Comet's clinic seem to be in no shape to fight. I wonder what the incident that Comet keeps mentioning is? It must have been pretty bad, but Comet keeps thinking that it wasn't entirely his fault. I like the details such as there being a monitor of all of the pokemon's health in Comet's bedroom, and Comet being able to mostly understand pokemon through body language. I wonder how well that's going to work though on the Pidgey with the broken wing due to it's nerve damage which could make it harder for it to display body language. I like at the end how seriously Oak gave Comet a donation bucket when it seems like it should be a joke. I have a feeling that Comet might try having some pokemon battles to raise funds, but right now what Comet can do seems pretty open ended. I'm excited to see what comes next.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
One Specs ruleset!? *reads again* Two Specs rulesets!? Heck yeah!
And if you can believe it, you can even be carried away by a damn balloon creature.
d4ismu2-8b28aca3-b4c7-4073-a056-64d9c2f34c26.png

Huh, it's interesting to see a Kanto run where Professor Oak doesn't love the protag! Oh boy, and not even the Nurse Joy likes them? y i k e s

People think that Pokemon can’t talk. Comet knew better. A Pokemon’s vocalizations, their body language, their eyes… if you just took the time to watch and listen carefully, it’s easy to understand what they’re trying to say. He was surprised more people hadn’t figured that out. Sometimes it takes a little while to get to know the Pokemon first before their language can be deciphered, but Pikachu was clear as a bell.
Ooh, this is an interesting in-between between "Pokemon talk like humans" and "Pokemon don't have intelligent language."

Whether the professor understood the Pikachu’s plea or not, he gave no inclination. Instead, he gave Comet a level look and said, “He belonged to the previous clinician of the Viridian City Pokemon Center.”

Comet’s jaw clacked shut. Oh.

Pikachu’s glare deepened, sparks still raining from his cheeks. “And I would have belonged to her still had it not been for you, kid. Don’t think I’m not aware of that.”
👁 👄 👁

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
You finally posted it, hooray! I'm really excited, can't wait to see where this will go. A great beginning, very unique setting for a Nuzlocke.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
IMPORTANT: Before I start, I need to clarify something about the update schedule. At the end of my last post, I accidentally said that updates will be biweekly. I meant that to mean updates will be every other week. Whoops. So that means the next update, Chapter 3, will be up 5/15/21. Sorry about that mistake!

And before we go to replies, I just wanted to thank you all so much for your support!! I was very nervous about starting this project and your comments and likes really made me feel better and motivated me to work even harder on this story I love so much! Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

@QuietGuardian - It is an absolute pleasure to have you along for the ride again; thank you for joining! I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far, and you pretty much nailed what I was going for in this first chapter. You also have Comet pegged pretty well too!

@Trollkitten - Thank you for reading!! :) I'm very excited to dramatize the medical field here- I'm definitely going to be drawing a lot from my experiences at the vet clinic especially. And you're totally right- in this ruleset, battling is a lot more dangerous for these mons. I plan on going into more detail about my gameplay elements and how each Pokemon's condition affects their battling in-game once we get going further in the plot.

@ACottontail - Oh no, you clicked the links!! I will say, the Doc-locke is probably one of my more difficult rulesets to play, because it relies less so on the objective RNG and more on the player's own imagination and ability to translate illnesses into gameplay variables. Money becomes a huge factor in the ruleset, as you'll soon see with Comet's struggles lol. I'll give you a little gameplay tidbit about the Pidgey- she also has a 'quiet' nature in-game, which due to the Super Naturelocke rules makes her have a difficult time communicating things like her HP gauge in battle. Really enjoying your predictions; we shall see if they come true! :)

@Bowser's Family Vacation - It's great to have you along again! :) Poor Drifloon; I didn't mean to offend but your Dex entry doesn't lie. And yep, Comet's situation is one big yikes. Not a well-liked young lad. Lots of drama between Comet and our Pikachu buddy here, and lots of well-deserved sass.

@RubyClaw - Thank you for coming along for another run! :) I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! For once I can't say "I can't wait to see where this will go either!" because for once, I already know where it goes....

Chapter 2

Comet thrust his head into the donations bucket, making vomiting noises as loudly and obnoxiously as he could muster. Pikachu stared at him, left ear twitching. “Must you do that? You look like a child.”

Comet swung the bucket by its handle and groaned. The faint tinkling of the coins they had earned only served to fuel his anger. “We are getting nowhere doing this. Two hours of humiliating begging and what do we have? Pennies. And I am not borrowing money from Oak. I’d eat a Muk first.”

Pikachu jumped up and snatched the bucket out of his hands. “Oh, quit your whining and let me do it then. Teenagers…”

Bucket in paws, Pikachu awkwardly hobbled up the steps to the front door of the next house and rapped on the door with his tail. A man answered the door and looked down, smiling. “Aw, aren’t you cute. Donations, huh? Where’s your owner?” He looked around briefly before his eyes settled on Comet.

All the warmness disappeared from the man’s face in an instant. “You.”

Comet’s back stiffened. He folded his arms and tried to make sure he wasn’t scowling. “We’re just looking for donations to help with the new clinic-”

The man bent his head toward the bucket and spat. Startled, Pikachu took a step back and stumbled down the two steps onto the sidewalk. The bucket clattered to the ground, what little coins they have spilling out.

That was it. Comet stomped forward, rolling up the sleeves of his long, forest green duster. “Okay, pal, looks like you’re gonna need charity after I get through with you-”

But before he could throw his fist back for the first punch, a surge of electricity jolted through Comet and he collapsed to the ground, stunned. The man stood over him, sneering. “Look at that. Even your pet doesn’t like you.” He stepped back inside, preparing to close the door. “You know, my niece lived in one of the houses next to the Pokemon Center. She didn’t make it out. How dare you show up here asking for money for something you destroyed.”

He slammed the door. Comet sat up slowly, his blonde hair like a dandelion of static electricity. Scooping their meager earnings back into the bucket, Pikachu mumbled to himself, “...Not gonna get anywhere starting fights...just have to move onto the next one and hope for the best…”

Comet glared up at the house. “You shoulda let me deck ‘im.” he murmured, words slurring. He picked up a nearby rock, bounced it twice in his palm, and aimed for a window. His arm jerked wildly and the rock sailed off to the side, bouncing harmlessly off a tree. Comet cursed as he staggered to his feet.

Pikachu tugged at his pantleg. “Let’s go. Breaking a window is gonna cause more trouble than it’s worth.”

“Fine. But I’m stealing his welcome mat. ‘Welcome’, my ass. Jerk.”

“Whatever keeps you from committing a felony.”

Comet gathered up the welcome mat and tucked it under his arm, following the little Pikachu down the road. He tried not to think too hard about the man’s words, but was unsuccessful. He’s wrong, Comet thought darkly, It wasn’t my fault. It wasn’t!

“Hey Pikachu?” he said finally, “Do you think maybe we could do some more passive street begging? I’m getting sick of this door-to-door stuff. Plus my legs feel like jell-o after your little stunt.”

The little mouse conceded, and they picked a busy intersection to sit at. Time passed, and occasional coins found their way into their bucket. More commonly, people spat and cursed them. Comet’s mood grew more foul as time passed. They would never have enough money by the end of the day, and he would have to call Oak.

“He knew this would happen. He’s doing this to teach me a lesson” Comet muttered. A woman walked by and tossed an Oran Berry into their bucket. “For the Pikachu. Not for you.” she said harshly as she walked by. Comet sighed. “You hungry?” Pikachu shrugged. Comet put his head into his knees, draping the stolen welcome mat over his head and closing his eyes. How did it all come to this? He clutched at his necklace again, running his thumb along the smooth scale and the soft fur hanging there. If only he could go back in time…

Suddenly, a rain of coins hitting the bottom of the bucket made his head snap up. Standing above them, smiling broadly, were Moon and Cadence. “We thought maybe you could use some help,” said Moon, her radiant smile cutting through Comet’s dark thoughts like a knife.

He stood up and took them both in a hug. “I’m so happy to see you guys, you have no idea! This new assignment…”

“I know,” said Cadence with a sad smile, “It’s not what you’re used to.”

“Not at all.” He broke away from them, basking in the presence of his friends. Cadence was the shortest of the crew- partially because they were the youngest, and partially because they were just plain short. But Comet tousled their mop of hair (sleek black with faint purple and yellow highlights-Candence loved to style their hair) and said, “Little Sib! Did you get taller since I saw you last? You’re gonna outgrow Moon soon!”

Cadence beamed, though they both knew that wasn’t true. Moon was the tallest out of the three of them- tall and slender, with rich, dark skin and a weave of long, thick braids. Glass beads decorated her hair with shades of green, blue, purple, and white. Looking at it reminded Comet of a galaxy. She was beautiful. Stunning. But Comet shook those thoughts from his mind- those are the kind of thoughts that had almost ended their friendship in the past. Instead, he asked, “How long are you guys in Kanto for?”

“Sounds like we’re going to be in for a while,” said Moon. “The professor has us investigating an increase in Team Rocket activity around here.”

Comet snorted. “Team Rocket? They’re nothing compared to the freaks we’re used to fighting. Must be a pretty boring mission.” Despite that, Comet couldn’t keep the jealousy out of his voice. I should be with them…

“Yeah,” said Cadence, “But I guess they’ve been getting more vicious lately. It’s starting to become more than the police can handle.”

The little Pidgey back at the clinic came to Comet’s mind. Her trainer, killed by Rockets… He hadn’t thought of it then, but he supposed Rockets murdering people didn’t happen very often. Usually they just stole Pokemon or money and went about their business.

Suddenly, a soft gasp from Cadence broke his thoughts. “Is that your Pikachu?!”

Comet started to say, “Uh, not really” at the same time Pikachu gave a sharp “No!” that probably sounded like a “Pi!” to Cadence and Moon. Comet cleared his throat and continued, “He’s one of my patients. I’m using him to guilt-trip people into giving us money.”

“He. Is. Adorable.”

“You want him?” said Comet, mostly joking.

Moon laughed. “Hey, maybe with enough work, you can start looking like your idol.”

“Red is not my idol,” Comet stammered, his face flushing, “I just like to watch his matches, that’s all. There’s no doubt the guy was the best. Oak knows how to pick ‘em.” Pikachu’s ears pricked up and he looked at Comet with a new interest.

“Well,” said Cadence, “He’s definitely a lot different from your old starte-” They froze, mouth hanging open on the words. “I, uh, what I mean to say is, he’s a lot different from the kind of Pokemon you used to...I mean...nevermind…” Cadence swallowed nervously, fingers running through their hair.

Comet fought the urge to grab at his necklace again. A pit formed in his stomach as he fought back the memories. “Don’t worry about it, Cade,” he said quietly. “You don’t have to walk on eggshells around me.”

“He’s right, Cadence,” said Moon, growing serious. “We can’t go around avoiding what happened forever, as uncomfortable as it is. We have to be realistic. This is something we should confront, so we can work through it together- as teammates and as friends. That’s the only way we can cope with this change.”

“But there is no change!” Comet blurted. “I mean, I guess there is a little. Obviously bad shit happened, and I lost...you know...But even though all that happened, I’m still the same! I haven’t changed! Sure, I’m a clinician now and I won’t be working with you guys in the same way, but hopefully that’s only temporary and once Oak releases me from my...community service or whatever the hell this is, I’ll be back on the team like nothing ever happened!”

Cadence watched Comet as he spoke, nodding with his every word and eyes widening with excitement. They looked up at Moon hopefully, but blanched at the look on her face. She had tears welling in her eyes, though her expression was hard as stone.

“You haven’t learned a thing, Comet. Not a single thing.”

Comet’s jaw dropped. He tried to speak, but his throat was so tight that he couldn’t force out a sound.

Moon sighed, a single tear falling from her eyes. She didn’t wipe it away. “I was just really hoping this conversation would have gone differently. I’m not mad at you. I just...I feel sorry for you, Comet. I really do. We’ll keep in touch. Call me if you need anything.”

With that, she walked away.

Cadence stared after her for a moment, and then glanced at Comet. They frantically looked back and forth between the two like they were being pulled in two different directions, eyes filling with tears. Finally they said, “I’m sorry, Comet!” and ran off after Moon.

Comet sat back down on the sidewalk, dazed. Pikachu coughed uncomfortably and shuffled away from him awkwardly as if to give him privacy.

“It wasn’t my fault,” Comet whispered. The necklace felt heavy against his chest.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Oooh, I'm sensing some serious backstory here. It'll be interesting when we finally find out just what Comet's past is.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
And I am not borrowing money from Oak. I’d eat a Muk first.
plot twist muk tastes like grape jelly youre missing out comet

Also, the money is for, um, saving lives??? Even if Muk tasted awful, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. >_>

More commonly, people spat and cursed them.
They would even do that to poor Pikachu!? 😱

He clutched at his necklace again, running his thumb along the smooth scale and the soft fur hanging there.
what kanto mons have scales and fur???

“Well,” said Cadence, “He’s definitely a lot different from your old starte-” They froze, mouth hanging open on the words. “I, uh, what I mean to say is, he’s a lot different from the kind of Pokemon you used to...I mean...nevermind…”
which kanto starters have "smooth scales" 🤔 i know none of them are furry

Welp, it looks like denial was not the right way to address the tragedy! What a twist!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
It appears in the past Comet caused the previous Viridian pokemon center to be destroyed, which also killed his pokemon, and some other people in the process. Since the center was destroyed and the houses next to it got affected, I'm guessing it was some sort of explosion. Though how did Comet get out fine but his pokemon died? I'm calling it now, he picked a fight with a Voltorb that looked at him funny(either that or he failed to do maintenance on something boring that he thought would be fine). I wonder how much Comet is at fault here, as he keeps trying to say that it wasn't his fault but I'm not sure if he's telling the truth or trying to get the blame away from him self. Judging from Moon's reaction of being disappointed at Comet for not changing I'm guessing that Comet has some sort of fatal flaw that caused the pokemon center to be destroyed, and I wonder if it is pride as Comet refuses to get help from professor Oak, he refuses to acknowledge that he was responsible for the pokemon center being destroyed and he tried to fight that guy that was rude to him when collecting donations.

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
It's been a long time since I sat down to read some storylockes, here or otherwise, but I'm really glad that this was the first one I found! As someone who is working towards a career in animal medicine, I loooove this unique take on a nuzlocke though it makes me reconsider the direction I'm going in the locke I've got planned over the summer...I'd hate to seem like a copycat! Comet's quite the interesting protagonist for this, too, and I'm very curious as to what exactly he was involved in that got literal passerby on the street to stop and curse at him! Can't wait for the next installment :>

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Ah, the suspense! Is it Comet's fault? Are everyone around him wrong or is it just him that can't see the bigger picture? Can't wait to find out more!

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
Hm, despite Comet's repeated insistences to the contrary, it does kiiiinda seem like it was his fault. Whatever "it" is.

(Also, biweekly can mean every other week, so no need to worry about miscommunication. That's actually how I interpreted it at first.)

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
@Trollkitten and @Bowser's Family Vacation - To further complicate the guessing process, I'd like to draw your attention to this sentence in the last paragraph of Chapter 1: " He clutched the end of the cord around his neck- where a smooth blue scale and a lock of golden hair was tied. " :)
Also, I don't intend to make "the incident" a story-wide mystery, so the reveal will come all in good time, I promise!! Also also, Muk tasting like grape jelly is now canon.

@ACottontail - I am loving your prediction process! I dare not say yet whether you're right or not, but I am enjoying your thought process nonetheless :) I am looking forward to see what you think of these events moving forward.

@RisingMew - Hello there!!! I am so happy to have you along for the ride; always great to see a new face! Also, PLEASE do not hesitate to post your run as is!!! I certainly don't own this premise and would LOVE to see another similar run on the forums, especially from someone looking to join the animal medicine field. As someone who used to be pursuing a career as a veterinarian, I would love to chat about your experiences if you're on Discord or via PM on here, if you want! I would love to hear about what brought you to the field :)

@RubyClaw - Very good and valid questions!! Thankfully, it won't take TOO long to find out the answers, as I don't intend this to be a mystery that spans the entire story. So your questions will be answered in good time, hopefully!

@QuietGuardian - Yeah, Comet is doing a less than stellar job convincing anyone except himself that 'it' wasn't his fault. And I'm glad you and I were on the same page with the update schedule lol! I read it again and was like "Oh no! People will think I'm THAT productive?!"

Chapter 3
By around lunchtime, Comet and Pikachu had finally accumulated enough coins to cover the bottom of the bucket. The Oran Berry also took up a decent amount of space, but Comet would still count it as a small victory. Very small.

“There has to be a better way,” He muttered. “We are never gonna make enough money like this.”

Pikachu said nothing, but continued to ring the handbell with a determined look on his face, seemingly unaware of how ridiculous he looked.

A sharp, irritating laugh caught Comet’s attention. On the other side of the intersection, a kid with a backwards cap was sneering down at a girl and her fainted Charmander. His Squirtle seemed to be taking on his trainer’s cocky attitude and was standing with its chest puffed out and a domineering smile.

“Hey Pikachu. You see that dickhead over there?”

Pikachu spared one short glance at the scene and continued to ring his bell, unbothered.

Comet continued, “I think I found a way to make us some more money, a LOT faster.”

The bell stopped and Pikachu turned to glare at Comet. “I hope you’re not thinking what I think you are.”

“That’s right. We’re gonna kick his sorry ass.”

Pi-ka! “No way!”

“Okay so frying me to a crisp is fine but you won’t take part in an innocent Pokemon battle?”

Pikachu folded his little arms and puffed. The effort made him cough. “Professor Oak didn’t say anything about battling. We’re supposed to collect donations, not winnings.”

“Same thing!” said Comet, his excitement growing. “I’ve felt what you can do; you’ve still got spark in you-pun fully intended. You can easily beat that little turtle, and he would deserve it. Look at them, thinking they’re hot shit because they have a type advantage. Brand new starter, little whippersnapper needs a lesson from an old pro!”

Pikachu’s brow furrowed, considering. Comet rubbed his hands together. Almost had him!

“Come on, Pikachu, it’ll be cake! I bet it’ll take two hits, maybe three tops. Do it for the clinic!”

A sigh escaped the little mouse and he carefully placed his bell back in the bucket. He turned to Comet and pointed a stubby finger at him. “Just this once, and for the clinic! After that, donations only!”

Comet clapped and jumped to his feet. “Woo! Yes! Time to kick ass! It’s been way too long!”

The kid had already heard Comet’s yelling and had started to approach him, but Comet addressed him anyway. “Hey, Prick and Prick Jr! How about a REAL match?”

“Isn’t there an age limit for starter Pokemon?” said Prick with a smirk. “You did just get him, right? And you’re a trainer?”

“Yes and yes.” Neither was technically a lie. Pikachu snorted, which triggered a coughing fit.

Prick eyed the little mouse skeptically. “Are you sure you really want to do this? He looks like he’s about to keel over at any given moment.”

“Less talk, more battle,” said Comet eagerly. Pikachu took his place in front of Comet reluctantly, crouching into a battle stance. “Don’t worry. Two hits, remember?” He was met with an eye roll and a nod.

“Okay then, you asked for it. Squirtle, use Tackle!”

The turtle Pokemon gave a battle cry and charged toward Pikachu, who stared ahead at the approaching opponent. Pikachu’s eyes squinted, and his crouch deepened.

At first Comet was concerned about the lack of his partner’s...overall movement of any kind. But he thought he remembered this tactic from Red’s battles. Draw your enemy near and then, when they’re good and close…

“Pikachu, Thundershock!”

The Squirtle was about two feet from Pikachu when the bolt took him right in the gut. The turtle Pokemon cried out, landed on its shell, and went spinning toward his trainer. Prick tried to run but wasn’t fast enough. The Squirtle’s shell took him at the ankle and knocked him flat on his face.

Comet lifted Pikachu off the ground, all but screaming, “WOOOOOAAAHHHH!!! ONE. HIT. K-OOOOOOOO!!!!!!!”

Pikachu squirmed and pressed his ears down flat against his head with his paws. “Your enthusiasm is… a tad overwhelming. You said it yourself that this would be an easy win.”

Pulling the mouse up to eye level, Comet fixed him with an intense stare. “Dude, I was just blowing hot air. I was afraid you would throw a stroke or something before you made the first move. Never in a million years did I think you could pull that off. DAMN we are GOOD!”

Pikachu finally wrestled himself from Comet’s grip with a grunt, trotting over to the bucket and hauling it over to the fallen Pricks. He pulled out the bell and gently rang it near their heads. Judging by Pikachu’s expression, he did not see the action as a taunt. Comet howled with laughter.

Wordlessly, Prick took out a handful of cash and hurled it into the bucket before stalking away with his Squirtle in hand.

Comet snatched the bucket and peered inside. He counted the cash, eyes bulging, and nodded. “Okay, new plan. Battling for money is the new plan.”

Pikachu pulled both of his ears down in dismay. “That’s the exact opposite of what we agreed!”

Comet abruptly sat down in front of Pikachu, his fist pressed into his chin as if he was deep in thought. Pikachu took a nervous step back from him. “This changes everything. If you’re gonna battle, you need a name. A warrior’s name, like mine.”

Chuuu… “I don’t know about this…”

“But,” Comet said carefully, “It can’t be too badass of a name. You know, because you’re a fluffy little mouse.”

Pikachu’s ear twitched.

“Okay here it is,” Comet clapped again, standing up and spinning in a circle. When he turned back around, his finger was pointing at Pikachu. “Your name is now...Bravewhisker.”

Bravewhisker could do nothing but stare and cough. Comet’s face fell.

“We’re gonna need more warriors.” He pointed back the way they came. “TO THE CLINIC.”

“Okay warriors, line up!”

Bravewhisker and the Nidoran stood in front of him, the former looking mildly annoyed and the latter was fidgeting, eyes trained on a nearby pebble.

“Hey, focus,” said Comet snapping his fingers in front of the Nidoran, who sniffed at his hand and idly tried to nibble his finger before staring at dust motes in the sky.

Comet smacked his forehead. “It’s not much to work with, but it’ll have to do. Okay, Nidoran, by virtue of you being the only Pokemon here who has moved more than two inches in the past 4 hours since I started here, you’re our second warrior.”

The Nidoran scratched behind his ear.

“Good. Glad that’s settled.” Comet said flatly. “Now, you’re gonna need an extra badass warrior name because you’re eventually gonna be really cool. So from now on, you’re going to be...Spikepelt.”

Spikepelt looked at Comet and sneezed.

Comet’s eyes widened. “Son of a fucking bitch! Get away from each other!”

Bravewhisker jumped and ran for the door. “Damn! I can’t believe I forgot too; all this Arceus forsaken excitement…”

Forgetting everything in his shock, Comet ran after him. Spikepelt, delighted with all the hustle, galloped happily after them.

“Arceus damn contagious bullshit,” Comet muttered as he took a stethoscope to Spikepelt’s side, who sniffed at it curiously. “You better not be sick now. Please tell me you’re not sick.”

Spikepelt, with his mouth right up against the stethoscope, yelled ‘Nido!’ “Bullshit!”

“Ow!!” Comet yanked the stethoscope out of his ears and threw it on the ground. “You little shit…”

Bravewhisker cleared his throat. “For what it’s worth, I don’t think he would catch what I have from that little exposure. I think that sneeze was from all the dirt and dust he kicked up.”

Comet let out a sigh of relief. “Good. Now that that’s settled, let’s go find some trainers to-”

A gentle tug on his pantleg surprised him. He looked down to find the little Pidgey from the corner, looking up at him with wide, goggled eyes. “Can I help you?” asked Comet.

The Pidgey looked nervously left and right before settling her eyes on him again. She fluttered her free wing.

“She must have followed us out in the chaos,” said Bravewhisker. “Maybe she wants to come with us?”

“Oh,” said Comet, looking at her bandaged right wing. “Well, the thing is, I don’t think you’re exactly warrior material…”

The little bird drooped, her eyes cast down to the floor. Her goggles just made her look twice as sad. She started to turn away to head back into the Pokemon Center.

“Wait! No, I was kidding! Totally kidding. You’re obviously warrior material, maybe the toughest of them all!”

The Pidgey looked back at him, big hopeful eyes staring. “Really, I mean it!” Comet continued. “Are you ready for your warrior name?”

She blinked. Comet hesitated. Usually he could understand Pokemon pretty well, but this Pidgey was very hard to read. It was like she was speaking a different language, or whispering so that he couldn’t quite hear.

But she was just so stinkin’ cute. Comet would sooner kiss a Weezing than see her sad again. “Your new warrior name is...Kestrelsight. I honestly think that’s the best one I’ve come up with so far! Right guys?”

Bravewhisker nodded encouragingly and Spikepelt gave a little skip and chirped, “Bullshit!”

Comet sighed. “Alright then, team. On to Viridian Forest!”

Now that we have a semi-official team, I can FINALLY talk a little gameplay to you guys! At the high risk of going into way too much detail and turning this into a chapter in and of itself, of course...

First, we have Bravewhisker the Pikachu.
He has a Modest nature, which our Super Naturelocke ruleset decrees that he can't defeat too many Pokemon consecutively. While I was playing this game, I was still playtesting the ruleset and originally had the first tier of the rule being that Modest Pokemon can only KO 2 consecutive Pokemon, but after this I decided that was too easy and changed it to 1 before earning Confidence points.
He also, according to our Doc-locke rules, has a rodent-specific respiratory illness, which causes him to only be able to participate for 3 turns in each battle. If he participates in more than 3 turns in one battle, the chance of his condition worsening each day increases.

Next is Spikepelt the Nidoran.
He has a Sassy nature, one of the most difficult natures to raise. That means he uses random moves every turn in battle until he earns enough Respect Points.
As far as a diagnosis, he has a cut injury to his right eye that is infected. In battle, this means Spikepelt has to watch out for moves like Mud Slap or Sand Attack, which can make the infection worse or cause the injury to take longer to heal.

And finally, we have Kestrelsight the Pidgey.
She has a Quiet nature, which is another tricky one because when she is in battle, we have to cover the HP bar and turn off the volume so we don't know how much health she has at any given moment.
Medically, she's kind of a mess and has multiple diagnoses. She has an injured wing that prevents her from using any flying moves until the fracture heals, and after that they have a high chance of failing (this is simulated by using an RNG and if she fails, we have to use a different move). She also has PTSD that causes her to have nightmares and flashbacks. If she nas nightmares overnight, her chances of failing her attacks slightly increases. When she is confused or put to sleep, this may trigger a flashback that causes her to become erratic during battles and she may start using random moves in her panic. She also has slightly low vision, but we fixed that with her goggles- it just costed a pretty penny (money is hard to come by with Doc-locke rules, especially this early in the game!).

I think that was semi-reasonable in length! I applaud myself for my restraint! I do intend to, at some point, do a gameplay-only screenshot run using one or both of these rulesets to compliment this run, so I'll try to save most of my gameplay comments when that happens! I'll probably put up a poll at some point to see what people prefer.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Wow, I cannot possibly imagine my doing a game with this many restricting rules. Somehow I don't think Kestrelsight is gonna make it through all this.

Speaking of Kestrelsight... I have PTSD myself, and I had no idea that it was related to the nightmares I've been suffering from since I was a kid. (Although in recent months I've started using my nightmares as plot inspiration for my writing, so that's at least made them more bearable. Weirdly enough, a lot of my recent nightmares have involved characters in future nuzlockes, so I wonder what's up with that.) The more you read, the more you know...

Bravewhisker and Spikepelt are awesome names. Maybe someday I'll use a naming scheme like that in one of my nuzlockes. (I will say that I don't personally see the appeal in the name Kestrelsight. It just seems a bit off.)

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Oooooh, I was wondering if you were actually going to incorporate battling in this 'locke or just stick to the slice-of-life clinical setting! I'm loving Comet and Bravewhisker's interactions--they've got such a fun dynamic going on :D

Like Trollkitten commented, I am just boggled at how you're managing all of these extra rules! Just a doc-locke or a super naturelocke by itself would be a challenge, but you've gone ahead and combined them into something even more challenging! I must say that the rules nerd in me wants to give both a try individually someday ;D They remind me a lot of the overly-complex dice games I would make for myself as a kid back when I wasn't allowed to touch video games for fear of brain damage XD

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
When donations are scarce and your pokemon are in need of expensive medicine what else would Comet do. Oak's going to be furious if he finds out about Comet battling. Comet might be kicked out of being a doctor for endangering his patients this way if he's found out. I wonder how much money gym leaders give out, as they could be a huge incentive for Comet. Kestrelsight is so cute, but I have the horrible feeling that her quiet nature is going to cause her to be one of the first to go, plus she seems very injured. Based on what Comet names the pokemon, I have a feeling that he has read this universe's equivalent of warrior cats in the past. Still I like the part where Comet screams OHKO at Bravewhisker, everyone's probably done that while playing the games at some point.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
And we finally have a team! As Rising Mew here said I was wondering how/whether you'll incorporate pokemon battles into the plot, really interesting choice. And great names! Comet's enthusiasm is indeed contagious.

Users who are viewing this thread