• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The promotional period for the 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has closed. Go read all about these cool runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Kanto General Mon The Fire Within: Pokemon FireRed Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Just a regular nuzlocke, following the adventures of a regular boy... Who doesn't want to battle for some reason.

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
When left alone, this solitary creature spends hours reading stories and playing video games. She spends an unhealthy amount of time on the computer.
de4ac77-4f654466-8cfb-42ea-bc72-aa8fc6f6f0c3.png

Welcome The Fire Within, a FireRed Nuzlocke comic following the journey of Lysander, son of Maria* (daughter of Lysandre) and N. Follow him on his journey through Kanto as he learns what it means to follow your passions without fear. Together with his Pokemon, they will all discover the secret passions and power that lie within themselves.

WARNING: As a Nuzlocke, this comic will contain death, violence, and swearing on some occasions.

SCHEDULE: The Fire Within updates the first Monday of each month. It will start updating more frequently once I've built up enough buffer.

IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS:

d8u4mkn-8abbf376-a3eb-47ba-b055-ced3ed833850.jpg
fw_rules_by_xsnowshadowx_de2u3gq-pre.jpg
firewithin_by_xsnowshadowx_de2tsuy-pre.jpg
the_fire_within__firered_nuzlocke__title_page_by_xsnowshadowx_d8euam8-fullview.jpg
the_fire_within__new_cover_by_xsnowshadowx_de595y4-fullview.jpg

CONTENT:
Prologue

Last edited:

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Lyle Sanders grandson of Colonel Sanders?
I haven't finished reaidng because DA's viewing setting no longer resize it easy to read size
But good luck on the run and god speed on the comic

Based on the starters, did 'Lyle' parents has story that encompass Unova, Kalos, and Kanto?

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
What an interesting premise! I love that Lysander's reasoning for picking Bulbasaur is to avoid being like his mother - a very nice way of showing that family conflict. Having a mute starter is also really interesting, but look at the talented little fella spelling words out with his vines! That's some great visual creativity. You've done a good job of setting up team personalities and conflicts, they're all very fun to read playing off each other. That bonding scene with Hercules was especially touching.

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
When left alone, this solitary creature spends hours reading stories and playing video games. She spends an unhealthy amount of time on the computer.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lyle Sanders grandson of Colonel Sanders?
I haven't finished reaidng because DA's viewing setting no longer resize it easy to read size
But good luck on the run and god speed on the comic

Based on the starters, did 'Lyle' parents has story that encompass Unova, Kalos, and Kanto?

I'll have to go through the old pages and fix the viewing settings. Thanks for letting me know!
Thanks for the luck!
Lysander's mother went through both Unova and Kalos, but also received a Squirtle from Professor Sycamore.

Riboo

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
So I've read a bit of this already, I like the premise of a trainer that doesn't really want to fight, its not something I've seen before when it comes to Nuzlocke comics, also like how 'Lyle's' Bulbasaur is able to communicate using its vines, gestures and writing on the ground.

Also as a suggestion, you might want to compile your pages into something like Comic Fury or Tapas for ease of access for binge readers given you've a number of comic pages already. Or if you rather stick with DA, I suggest making a gallery folder with your comics in reading order, as you can use the arrow keys to better navigate them, Eclipse having a really crappy navigating system now doesn't really make it friendly for binge reading unfortunately. EDIT: Woops, I found that you DO have a folder for it :P Instead, I recommend making it a more visible gallery or linking it from your original post in this thread .u.b

sociopathicotter

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Pokédex Entry
enjoys unnecessary anime references and stupid meta humor in webcomics
This comic has so many little details that are absolutely adorable! I particularly liked the Charmander's hair and the Bulbasaur signing "mute" with its vines. And, of course, I appreciated the glorious cornea pun - any Nuzlocke which finds an excuse to add stupid puns is a good Nuzlocke in my book haha

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
And now I am truly on speed
The team dynamic seems pretty diverse so far, a lot of love and hate everywhere

one thing that I am very curious so far is how did Lyssander originally plan to prove himself not just some champions' son outside of Pokemon battling?

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
What an interesting premise! I love that Lysander's reasoning for picking Bulbasaur is to avoid being like his mother - a very nice way of showing that family conflict. Having a mute starter is also really interesting, but look at the talented little fella spelling words out with his vines! That's some great visual creativity. You've done a good job of setting up team personalities and conflicts, they're all very fun to read playing off each other. That bonding scene with Hercules was especially touching.

Thank you so much for the feedback, it means A LOT!!! Aladar is such a talented little boy, and I love him. Thankyou! Somuch!

So I've read a bit of this already, I like the premise of a trainer that doesn't really want to fight, its not something I've seen before when it comes to Nuzlocke comics, also like how 'Lyle's' Bulbasaur is able to communicate using its vines, gestures and writing on the ground.

Also as a suggestion, you might want to compile your pages into something like Comic Fury or Tapas for ease of access for binge readers given you've a number of comic pages already. Or if you rather stick with DA, I suggest making a gallery folder with your comics in reading order, as you can use the arrow keys to better navigate them, Eclipse having a really crappy navigating system now doesn't really make it friendly for binge reading unfortunately. EDIT: Woops, I found that you DO have a folder for it :P Instead, I recommend making it a more visible gallery or linking it from your original post in this thread .u.b

Ah! Thanks! I haven't really seen it too much either, and thought it would be really interesting! Your feedback gives me a lot to think about, and I'll make sure to take into consideration all of your suggestions for comic organization. Eclipse... Really isn't very comic-friendly.

This comic has so many little details that are absolutely adorable! I particularly liked the Charmander's hair and the Bulbasaur signing "mute" with its vines. And, of course, I appreciated the glorious cornea pun - any Nuzlocke which finds an excuse to add stupid puns is a good Nuzlocke in my book haha

Yes! I love puns! The more cringe the better!

And now I am truly on speed
The team dynamic seems pretty diverse so far, a lot of love and hate everywhere

one thing that I am very curious so far is how did Lyssander originally plan to prove himself not just some champions' son outside of Pokemon battling?

I don't know if you meant on speed or up to speed, but both are relatable.
Yes, yes, yes! Team interactions have always been my favorite things to explore... If you take a bunch of different Pokemon species from a bunch of different areas and backgrounds... There's sure to be some disagreement and some shenanigans.
Oof, that's a question I never thought about! Time to do some character exploring!

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the feedback! It means a lot to hear from other amazing artists about how this comic is succeeding and how it could possibly be improved! Also, it makes me cry tears of unbound joy that people are actually reading this?!?! I love you all.

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
First Monday of the month, time for a new page!

the_fire_within__firered_nuzlocke__page_40_by_xsnowshadowx_de4q3gp-fullview.png

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
HI HELLO THAT DEATH SCARE WAS TERRIFYING
I absolutely thought Rapunzel was a goner for a moment, STAB normal attacks really don't mess around. That panel of Lysander sleeping is an exhausted mood, if I've ever seen one. Even if Rapunzel pulled through, I'm curious to see what kind of effect this near-death experience will have on the team.

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Elvia, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
MY HEART DROPPED HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO IT

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
HI HELLO THAT DEATH SCARE WAS TERRIFYING
I absolutely thought Rapunzel was a goner for a moment, STAB normal attacks really don't mess around. That panel of Lysander sleeping is an exhausted mood, if I've ever seen one. Even if Rapunzel pulled through, I'm curious to see what kind of effect this near-death experience will have on the team.
Ooof, I thought she was a goner too in actual gameplay... That crit STAB Quick Attack gave me quite the scare! I was so happy that she pulled through though~~~

MY HEART DROPPED HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO IT
DON'T BLAME ME, BLAME THE CRITS

ooh at least Rapunzel survives
She's too baby to die

the_fire_within__firered_nuzlocke__extra_6_by_xsnowshadowx_de5rf07-fullview.png
I have kind of an intermission page here. Worried about Rapunzel, Mickey decides to lie next to her so he can hear her breathing. This ends up lulling him to sleep. Cute rat baby!!! >w<

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Awww that's adorable! I love the size difference between them, and it's nice to see a sweet, quiet moment after the near death scare.

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Flying
  2. Ice
So The Fire Within..... can I first say my GOODNESS YOUR IMRPOVEMENT IS AMAZING!!! Like your expressions have gotten so much better, your composition, your poses, your everything! It's so cool to see these longer comics only cause you can SEE that progress. You can really see the growth and I legitimately felt really happy just seeing it. Everything felt like it was an upgrade so you should be proud of yourself!

But of course im not just here to talk about improvement. Im here for the plot! First I love that most of the pokemon are named after Disney characters, that makes it really fun and I loved the lil extra of "Be a man". I really like your story for Lysander and the fact that he was past trauma that figuratively and literally scared him. The idea of a kid that young going through that like... dang I know there's a lot of hesitant protagonists but he's really got a reason here. I also really liked you didnt just immediately shirk him back into battling right away. I really love the idea that Team Rocket is the bigger evil here to that of his fears, like yes of course hes still probably worried but he knows Team Rocket has to go. It's a good way to tie him in without forcing him. As for the other mons, I love how they all have distinct personalities and bounce off each other in different ways. They all care for each other at the end of the day, but have thier own way about it. I love the literal fact that Tarzan is a smart mankey, Mulan is just fun to read, Mickey makes me smile cause hes a sweet rat in bad boy clothing. And finally Aldar, did I mention I love him? Its so cool hes a mute pokemon yet you use his whips to let him express himself. Its such a unique idea for the starter and you execute it really well!!

Goodness gracious I am very excited to nominate this as Most Improved Nuzlocke.

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
So The Fire Within..... can I first say my GOODNESS YOUR IMRPOVEMENT IS AMAZING!!! Like your expressions have gotten so much better, your composition, your poses, your everything! It's so cool to see these longer comics only cause you can SEE that progress. You can really see the growth and I legitimately felt really happy just seeing it. Everything felt like it was an upgrade so you should be proud of yourself!

But of course im not just here to talk about improvement. Im here for the plot! First I love that most of the pokemon are named after Disney characters, that makes it really fun and I loved the lil extra of "Be a man". I really like your story for Lysander and the fact that he was past trauma that figuratively and literally scared him. The idea of a kid that young going through that like... dang I know there's a lot of hesitant protagonists but he's really got a reason here. I also really liked you didnt just immediately shirk him back into battling right away. I really love the idea that Team Rocket is the bigger evil here to that of his fears, like yes of course hes still probably worried but he knows Team Rocket has to go. It's a good way to tie him in without forcing him. As for the other mons, I love how they all have distinct personalities and bounce off each other in different ways. They all care for each other at the end of the day, but have thier own way about it. I love the literal fact that Tarzan is a smart mankey, Mulan is just fun to read, Mickey makes me smile cause hes a sweet rat in bad boy clothing. And finally Aldar, did I mention I love him? Its so cool hes a mute pokemon yet you use his whips to let him express himself. Its such a unique idea for the starter and you execute it really well!!

Goodness gracious I am very excited to nominate this as Most Improved Nuzlocke.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! It means a lot to me that people care about this story and these characters that have been living in my head for years, especially enough to leave long and beautiful comments so thank you!!!

The improvement is something I feel so deeply because when I first started this comic, I didn't really feel like my art was good enough to be made into a comic. But like, dang I didn't even realize that making a comic would help my art to improve so much, and it just warms my heart that other people are able to power through that early mess and see the improvement in the later pages! I'm so glad it makes you happy as well!!!

Hehe, I did go through this run with a Disney name theme. I'm Disney trash, I admit it.

I knew from the beginning I wanted Lysander to be different from a lot of other Nuzlocke protags in that he doesn't want to battle. He just wants to live a peaceful existence with a bunch of Pokemon friends. Ultimately, I knew Lysander needed to make the decision to battle on his own. And hey, what better way than challenging a criminal organization that's trying to take over the entire country?

OMW, team dynamics are my FAVORITE thing to play around with because... Just imagine all these different creatures from different backgrounds who are all thrown together for some wild, random adventure. And they all have different reasons for being there, so there's bound to be a little tension and uptightness (I'm looking at you Hercules). And gosh, you're descriptions of the team are so spot-on and make me smile. I love subverting expectations, which is why Tarzan is a complete nerd, because who would ever expect that? I'm so glad you find Mulan fun to read! She's very fun to write! AND OMW I love your analysis of Mickey!!! It's spot-on! AND ALADAR, my sweet, precious baby! *forehead smooches* I've seen the mute starter thing done a few times before (maybe once or twice if I'm remembering correctly?), but I felt like a grass type could offer new possibilities, since they could create their own kind of sign language with vines.

I'm going to be redundant and thank you again for reading and commenting and making my day!!!

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
New page!

the_fire_within__firered_nuzlocke__page_41_by_xsnowshadowx_de6c5nx-fullview.png

Team dynamics are my bread and butter, and this is one toasty page

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Lysander looks like he haven't slept in a month, poor lad, he must've been so worried about his Pokemon. As nice as it is to see a trainer caring for their Pokemon, I just want him to have a good, long nap.
Rapunzel being as tiny as she is is still adorable, and it's so sweet to see her wanting to protect the team despite her timid nature. Mickey's viewpoint worries me though, poor guy doesn't sound like he values himself as a team member that much...

SnowyUmbreon

Hex Maniac
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 7, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
New Page!

Lysander looks like he haven't slept in a month, poor lad, he must've been so worried about his Pokemon. As nice as it is to see a trainer caring for their Pokemon, I just want him to have a good, long nap.
Rapunzel being as tiny as she is is still adorable, and it's so sweet to see her wanting to protect the team despite her timid nature. Mickey's viewpoint worries me though, poor guy doesn't sound like he values himself as a team member that much...
Yeah, Lysander was very worried about his child, and he probably didn't sleep very well, poor baby!!! HE DOES NEED A LONG NAP!
Yes, Rapunzel is precious, and she will do anything to protect her team! As for Mickey... Poor boy has self-value issues, reasons for which will be explained later!

the_fire_within__firered_nuzlocke__page_42_by_xsnowshadowx_de81777-fullview.png

New page! Not much to say about this page. It's more of a transitionary page. I spent at least 6+ hours on that last panel. I would have added some more cameos and some actual vehicles, but... I'd already spent WAAAAAAY too long on the panel and couldn't bring myself to do it.

Cameos:
Syn and Shox belong to SysterSyn
Yume belongs to FroslassManiac
I promise she's drinking apple juice

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
OHHHH THESE TEAM INTERACTIONS GOT ME GOOD,,,
I love how loving and sweet the relationships between the team is here. Just the little reminders from the team that Rapunzel is worth more than the ruined clothes is so genuine and real it warms my heart. Also Lysander petting Rapunzel's tiny head is so cute 😭
Given that Hercules looked a bit upset and jealous last page, I'm almost wondering if his interruption, while a correct observation, was a bit out of spite. Poor dude.
That last panel looks great! Love all of the details and the design of the buildings, especially that cool looking gym. The little cameos are adorable too! Your art has improved an insane amount over this comic's duration and that is so admirable. Great work!

Users who are viewing this thread