• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Not one but two anonymous angels wanted to get the word out about a hidden gem of a comic, feraligatr's Dear Sergio. This Shield Nuzlocke follows Sergio and his best only friend Hop!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Ruleset Video Games The Factorylocke -- A Ruleset for Atypical Pokemon!

Thread Description
A ruleset for 'unnatural' pokemon. Open to concrit!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
THE FACTORYLOCKE—A RULESET THAT INCENTIVIZES THE USE OF INORGANIC, ARTIFICIAL, OR OTHERWISE UNUSUAL POKEMON

I’m sure we’ve all heard it from time to time. “Ugh, Pokémon is so uncreative these days. A keychain? An ice cream pokemon? Game Freak is seriously losing their touch, lololol.” But what if you happen to like the idea of using pokemon that aren’t just plants, animals, or humans with some elemental powers sprinkled on top? What if you want these oft-maligned critters to have their time to shine? Well, this is the ruleset for you and for them too! The purpose of the factorylocke is to incentivize the use of what I have blanketly called “unnatural” pokemon. Here are some of the basics of the run, followed by a proper ruleset breakdown underneath.

First, key to this run is the concept of “unnatural” pokemon. These are pokemon that aren’t just animals, humanoids, or plants (I generally count mythical creatures like dragons as animals.) Unnatural pokemon are creatures that shouldn’t exist in a normal world. Living rocks, animate toys, food with faces… they all fall under that given category. If you’re feeling permissive, you can also add man-made pokemon, revived fossils, and even pokemon implied to be extraterrestrials from outer space to the list. The best part about the factorylocke is that there is no hard and fast list of what is and is not allowed. It’s mostly up to player discretion! There are eight categories of unnatural pokemon (mineral pokmeon, slimes/ooze/gases, living constructs, animate objects, spirits/specters, lab-born creatures, extraterrestrials/extradimensionals, and food) and you are free to disallow one or more of the categories. Even within the categories, there are certain pokemon I’ve listed that you might disagree with. That’s okay! If you feel like it’s not fair to, say, count Darumaka as a human-made pokemon, then don’t include it. Personal interpretation is very big in this ruleset; what’s important is to hold to the spirit of the ruleset and incentivize the use of atypical pokemon that aren’t animals, plants, or humanoids!

Here is a breakdown of each of the eight categories, as well as my listing of the pokemon that are included in them. The pokedex was the primary resource used in deciding how to categorize species that weren’t obvious. A big shout-out to @Bayporeon, who helped me sort through the entire dex, front-to-back!

DEE'S LIST OF UNNATURAL POKEMON

Pokemon families are listed by national dex # of their first evolution in their category. Pokemon with an asterisk (*) after the name are iffy, and may or may not be allowed on player’s discretion due to conflicting or unclear information in the dex or lore. Unless specified otherwise, assume that regional variants are included in the original species’ listing. Now, here are the eight categories of unnatural pokemon, and the species within them!

Mineral pokemon are pokemon whose bodies are constructed mostly or wholly from stone, metal, magma, earth, or ice. Animal-like pokemon that are entirely mineral, like Slugma, are permitted; ones that appear to just have mineral plating and/or armor with a normal body underneath, like Aron or Rhyhorn, are not.

Galarian Meowth and Perrserker*

Geodude family

Onix family

Sudowoodo family

Slugma family

Nosepass family

Snorunt family

Regirock, ice, steel, etc

Heatran

Roggenrola family

Ferroseed family*

Cryogonal

Galarian Stunfisk*

Carbink

Bergmite family

Diancie

Minior

Meltan family

Rolycoly family

Stonjourner

Cufant family

Duraludon*

These are pokemon whose bodies are largely made of, well, slime, ooze, or gas.

Grimer family

Koffing family

Ditto

Solosis family*

Marshadow

Artificially created or human-made pokemon, whether ancient or modern, are included in this list.

Magnemite family

Voltorb family

Porygon family

Baltoy family

Beldum family*

Bronzor family

Darumaka family*

Sigilyph

Klink family

Golett family

Magearna

Pokemon who possess or control what would be an inanimate object in our world fall under this category.

Shuppet family

Rotom

Galarian Yamask and Runerigus

Trubbish family

Honedge family

Klefki

Dhelmise*

In general, ghost pokemon are allowed unless they are possessing organic matter (ex. Trevenant) or are just “critters, but spooky!” (ex. Jellicent).

Gastly family

Misdreavus family

Galarian Corsola and Cursola

Sableye*

Duskull family

Drifloon family

Yamask and Cofagrigus

Litwick family

Sandygast family

Mimikyu*

Dreepy family

Pokemon that are genetic experiments or revived fossils would not exist normally in nature, and are allowed.

Omanyte family

Kabuto family

Aerodactyl

Mewtwo

Lileep family

Anorith family

Castform

Cranidos family

Shieldon family

Tirtouga family

Archen family

Genesect

Tyrunt family

Amaura family

Type: Null and Silvally

Dracozolt, Arctozolt, Dracovish, and Arctovish

Pokemon originating from beyond earth or other dimensions are allowed.

Clefairy family

Staryu family*

Unown

Lunatone and Solrock

Deoxys

Elgyem family

Hoopa

Cosmog family

Every Ultra Beast

Necrozma

Eternatus

Pokemon based on non-fruit food are allowed. Applin is the exception to the "no-fruit" rule because it can evolve into the pie-like Appletun; Flapple, however, is not allowed.

Vanillite family

Swirlix family

Applin and Appletun (but not Flapple)*

Sinistea family

Milcery family

And so there you have it—a list of permissible, unnatural pokemon. Are we finished? Far from it! After all, we still need to discuss what gives this ruleset its name. What’s the ‘factory’ in a factorylocke, anyway?

Imagine your nuzlocke team as a facility of sorts. A factory dedicated to creating one thing: victory. The unnatural pokemon staff the factory; they are your workers. But normal workers aren't enough. Every factory needs someone to run it, right? Enter the foreman. The foreman is key to this run. Your team must always have a foreman. The foreman cannot be an unnatural pokemon. The foreman cannot leave your team, ever. Even if you’re running a rotation team or need to load up on HM Slaves, you’ll have to box someone else. The team is the factory, and your factory needs the foreman on the floor.

The foreman is the starter pokemon. This does not have to be one of the regional starters (so if you’re using a ROM, feel free to hack in a different species) but it cannot be unnatural, and it cannot be a legendary. The foreman manages the factory, which is staffed with unnatural pokemon. Production is slow at first, so only the foreman is allowed to use a hold item or to have items used on it in battle. (Out-of-battle item use is fine for all pokemon, and poke balls do not count as part of this rule; they can be used with impunity.)

However, there is a way to improve the factory’s production! Namely, hire assembly workers. Assembly workers are, like the foreman, pokemon that are neither unnaturals nor legendaries. Over the course of the run, you will get three ‘vouchers’ to hire them! When you enter a given area, you can choose to spend a voucher to try to hire—that is, catch—an assembly worker instead of the usual unnatural pokemon you would otherwise be allowed instead. Normally you can only catch unnatural pokemon, with all other encounters being nonviable. Cashing in a voucher reverses that: only non-unnatural pokemon are viable for that route. You start the run with one voucher, gain a second one upon obtaining your fourth badge (or completing the second grand trial in Alola), and gain the third one upon defeating criteria related to the local villainous teams, which varies depending on the game:

• Liberating Silph Co. in the Kanto games
  • Liberating Goldenrod City in the Johto games
  • Driving Team Magma/Aqua out of their Lilycove HQ in the Hoenn games
  • Clearing the Galactic HQ in the Sinnoh games
  • Watching N obtain his dragon at the top of Dragonspiral Tower in Black and White
  • Surviving the freezing of Opelucid City in B2W2
  • Defeating Lysandre and sabotaging the ultimate weapon in the Kalos games
  • Clearing Aether Paradise in the Alola games
  • Defeating Piers in the Galar games

So now you know how to get assembly workers, but what exactly does an assembly worker do? Simple: they improve production. They cannot have a hold item or have items used on them in battle themselves, but for every assembly worker on the team, one unnatural pokemon is allowed a hold item and each unnatural pokemon is allowed to have one item used on them in battle. So, let’s say that you have a team of the following:

Foreman / Assembly worker 1 / Assembly worker 2 / Unnatural pokemon 1 / Unnatural pokemon 2 / Unnatural pokemon 3

Under this setup, two of your three unnatural pokemon would be allowed to hold items, and all unnatural pokemon could have two items used on them in battle. The foreman sees unlimited item use, and the assembly workers get nothing in terms of held items or item use.

Lastly, remember how I said that the factory always needs a foreman? Well, if the foreman dies, a new foreman must be promoted from among the assembly workers. That worker gains the duties and powers of the foreman and is no longer considered an assembly worker. If the foreman dies and you have no living assembly workers, you must immediately catch one to promote it and then forfeit your next obtainable voucher. Should your starter and all three assembly workers die, there are two options available to you.

1. Factory closure: The factory has failed to keep its foreman position filled, and must now close. This ends the run
  2. Layoffs: The final foreman cannot be fired from the team. Instead, if it hits 0 HP, you must save costs by firing a living teammate instead, using RNG to decide who goes.

Besides the foreman and assembly workers, every other catch must be an unnatural pokemon. One last thing to note is that all active teammates must be within five levels of each other. Should the foreman outlevel its teammates, it must be kept on the team but cannot be used. Should any other pokemon outlevel its teammates, it must be boxed until viable to use again. This rule exists to incentivize the use of multiple pokemon. HM slaves (defined as pokemon whose only purpose is to traverse the overworld and who never see battle) are exempt from this rule, and can be caught without forfeiting a catch if needed to progress.

Lastly, some recommended clauses. First, token clause is highly recommended. Some games are worse about this then others, but it is extremely common to see some areas devoid of any unnatural pokemon, while others load them all into one place (for example, both the Klink and Ferrothorn lines can only be found in the same cave in Black and White). Using token clause ensures that you don’t have areas with no available catches and won’t have to worry about mutually exclusive lines.

Secondly, dupes clause is recommended. Some unnatural pokemon, like Geodude, are everywhere, and without using dupes clause they could very easily overrun your slate of catches if your luck goes the wrong way. Since the entire point of this ruleset is to champion the use of unusual pokemon, dupes clause ensures that you won’t get swamped with familiar faces while unusual picks go unnoticed and unheeded!

Lastly, gift clause is recommended. A lot of unnatural pokemon—the fossils, Porygon, Castform, etc—cannot be found normally in the wild. Gift clause ensures that they are viable additions to the party and won’t be skipped over.

With all of that said, here is all the rules and guidelines organized into a coherent ruleset.

FACTORYLOCKE RULES:

1) With the exception of the foreman and assembly workers, only unnatural pokemon can be used. (Note: add or remove pokemon from the eight categories, or even cut the categories themselves, as you see fit.)

2) Every pokemon will have a rigidly defined role:

• The Foreman – The starter. Cannot be an unnatural pokemon or a legendary. The foreman must not ever leave the team for any reason. The foreman has no item restrictions. Should the foreman die, a new foreman must immediately be promoted from the ranks of the assembly workers.
  • Assembly Workers – Cannot be unnatural pokemon or legendaries. Up to three times per run, you can use a voucher in a given area to choose to hire an assembly worker instead of an unnatural pokemon. You start with one voucher, gain a second upon clearing the fourth gym or second grand trial, and a third upon a predefined milestone related to the local evil team (see above for list). Assembly workers cannot hold items or have items used on them in battle, but for every worker on the team, one item can be used in-battle on unnatural pokemon and one unnatural pokemon can hold a held item. Promoted assembly workers become the foreman and have the rules of that role apply. If the foreman dies and there are no assembly workers, one must be hired and promoted immediately, with the next voucher forfeited.
  • Unnatural Pokemon – The factory’s rank-and-file. On their own they cannot hold items or have items used on them in battle, but their production value increases with the help of assembly workers (see above).

3) Only the first unnatural pokemon encountered in any route can be caught, unless an assembly worker voucher has been redeemed (see rule 2.) (Note: it is recommended to apply dupe, gift, and token clauses to this rule.)

4) Any pokemon that faints is fired from the factory and must leave the team to be released/permaboxed.

5) All pokemon on the active team must be within 5 levels of each other. HM slaves are exempt from this rule.

And there you have it! This is still a young ruleset, but it's one I've kicked around for a while. I already credited Bayporeon for helping me to categorize every pokemon in the dex, but I'd also like to extended thanks to @Agent Nein, whose mention of an 'inorganiclocke' spurred the creation of this ruleset and who encouraged me during creation, and @Thirteenth, who took the ruleset on its first-ever test-run and offered feedback for rule tweaks. Thank you!

I actually haven't taken this ruleset for a run on my own yet, but I plan on doing a factorylocke of B2W2 as soon as my ongoing chesslocke of SwSh is done and over with. I'm pretty close to the end, so I should start soon! Anyone who uses this ruleset, please link me to the run or even just keep me up-to-date with posts in this thread if it's undocumented; I'm fascinated to see how you all like it! And this is my first-ever attempt at making a custom ruleset, so polite feedback is appreciated.

I hope you enjoy taking these unusual pokemon for a spin. They have a charm all their own, I think! Best of luck!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
As a longtime fan of inanimate objects come to life, I approve the creation of this ruleset. It's a bit more complicated than anything I'd use, but I'd love to see what people do with it!

Reactions: Dee

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Ooh, what a fascinating ruleset! As a zoology nerd, I would miss all of the animal-based Pokèmon I usually have around in my 'lockes, but a lot of the "atypical" 'mon you listed are ones I've never gotten a chance to use! It would be a fun challenge to attempt a run using primarily those 'mon, and things like the foreman and the assembly workers would still give me access to some of my faves :D This also reminded me that I've wanted to try a hacked Type: Null/Silvally-only run for the longest time....

I'm definitely bookmarking this for later!

• eyes

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
I actually had a custom ruleset similar to this for a sun run but with a "bad future" angle that allowed the use of a few organic pokemon (ledian as the starter/foreman, a few self-sustaining grass types like sunflora and leafeon and some more organic electrics with volt absorb/motor drive like electrivire and jolteon) but pretty interesting idea nonetheless. I recall rotom in particular being invaluable during that run, and from gen V onwards its a pretty good pick overall.
Also going to note that meltan and melmetal are sadly only available in either romhacks or random runs since they're only available from GO imports (and even then, meltan can't evolve into melmetal for some reason)

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I've finished my other run, so I'm taking my factorylocke on an inaugural test drive through Black 2! Anyone who'd like to follow along, I have a very casual written log going on over here~

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Really cool ruleset! Inanimate objects indeed don't get the love they deserve (and saying Game Freak is "running out of ideas" for using them shows that person has no idea about the inspirations and origins of Pokemon as Tsukumogami Yokai are among the most commonly known ones).

Best of luck! I'll go check your run right now!

Edit: Oh and one more thought: Perhaps it should be required that the Foreman and the Assembly workers must have grasping limbs?

• eyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)