• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Showcase The Drawing Board! WIPs, Promotional Shots, and More!

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A place to post and discuss author sneak peeks and teasers! Gotta love Dat Hype™

Feymark

Gay Rights!!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/Him/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Warriormale wishes he loved men as much as Feymark. Also, he wishes he could draw them like Feymark.
Hey y’all!

I wanted to create this thread as a public gallery for everyone to post work in progress pieces from their current run and the updates they’re working on! One of my favorite things to do is to post “Hype” shots and previews to build up anticipation for updates, and I know we all love promotional shots/art from games and shows we anticipate. Showing people my progress really helps my motivation, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Posting these work in progress pieces not only builds hype, but if the thread kicks off, it’s a great resource for future artists to see how their fave authors’ work process is and learn from it! And it’s great exposure for hidden gems that an excerpt catches your eye from!

Rules

- Please be courteous! A lot of these could be incomplete pieces and we need to be sensitive about people sharing their process pieces.
- Try your best to reply to others if what they post hypes you up!!! All artists THRIVE off of that!
- Try your best to ask for consent for/to deliver constructive criticism, feedback, and redlining art. While this kind of thread definitely invites those situations, we need to be mindful of people’s feelings.
- On that note, don’t be afraid to ask for or take help!! If people didn’t call out wonky or weird things about my process shots, even if they’re near-done, my comic wouldn’t look nearly as nice!
- Consider putting spoiler tags on things that reveal a lot, or try to minimize context to build up mystery and excitement!

I welcome everyone to post, as all creative pieces are at one point a work in progress!

Feel free to post and discuss:
- Comic, storylocke, SSWL Script segments you’re excited about.
- Sketches and Before and After comparison shots!!!
- Thumbnails, thumbnails, thumbnails!
- Spicy run screenshots!
- Tentative story ideas.
- Pokémon designs and redesigns or other assets you may be compiling!
- Progress shots, progress shots progress shots!
- Process pieces!

And finally, don’t hesitate to post your Panel-a-Day work or work pact results! It was started by @Kadew back in the comics server and it’s a smash hit with your favorite artists!

For example
, I’m currently almost done with my next page, so here is a text-hidden preview of what is to come. I think it looks great!

At the same time, I want to foster a feeling of excitement for less complete and definite “work in progress” pieces. Those can build hype too, like this sketch for my next page:

Post away, guys! And remember that The Grind Never Stops!!

Last edited:

Kadew

*plotting something*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
This thread is an awesome idea feymark! That sketch with the slowking is going to be absolutely brutal once it's finished, I just know it.

For myself, I've been mired in the end-of-semester crunch for the past couple of days, and so even though I got most of a page done in the 24 hour stream, I've been unable to finish it off. But! I can share my favorite panel from it, because everyone needs scary!Junior the charmander put into their eyeballs. I can't wait to polish this up for release.

OP
Feymark

Feymark

Gay Rights!!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/Him/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Warriormale wishes he loved men as much as Feymark. Also, he wishes he could draw them like Feymark.
This thread is an awesome idea feymark! That sketch with the slowking is going to be absolutely brutal once it's finished, I just know it.

For myself, I've been mired in the end-of-semester crunch for the past couple of days, and so even though I got most of a page done in the 24 hour stream, I've been unable to finish it off. But! I can share my favorite panel from it, because everyone needs scary!Junior the charmander put into their eyeballs. I can't wait to polish this up for release.

View attachment 789

HEY HEY WOAH.....

JUNIOR ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE B-

Oh wait this is probably just [D A L I N A R V I S I O N] and Junior is way less threatening and Evil in realtime.

8728a2d63440b5fb6d46364a5c8454db.gif

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
@Kadew Oh. I suddenly understand the teeth remark.

Uh, well, I'm mostly mired in forum work, but I do have more than enough stuff set aside for Stardust Road. 2020 seems like a pipe dream because, uhhhhh, forum move, but one can dream.

Faleep

Your local Non-binary ace Fox
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
They’re a new discovery, and they seem to be a mixture of outgoing and shy. Loves things related to art and writing. Somehow writes on mobile
A quick little animation wip, cause I’m forcing myself to draw after losing 4+ years worth of artwork and wips ;-;
image0.gif

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
A quick little animation wip, cause I’m forcing myself to draw after losing 4+ years worth of artwork and wips ;-;
image0.gif
This is really smooth!! Do you do animations regularly, or is this, like, new territory? It's hard to tell from a wip, but it's exciting stuff. It takes a lot of patience to animate, and I admire that!!

Faleep

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
They’re a new discovery, and they seem to be a mixture of outgoing and shy. Loves things related to art and writing. Somehow writes on mobile
@Bug irs a bit of both; it’s something I’ve done before and have a rough know how of, but I have done it in ages due to program limitations. The art program I use recently had an update that allows for the export of gifs/animated PNG’s, so I can now get back into it :D.

Reactions: Bug

yepiz

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Often lost in thought
Well I'm in love when it's about showing creative processes. Discovering what other ppl do is amazing because as artists in general we have different ways to do whatever we do and the results are still amazing. I will keep track of this thread... and see your art stuff...

Faleep

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
A pair of cleaned up Wip’s of my sona and my GF’s sona for Art fight cause she’s on the opposite team as me >:(

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Seeing as I've already got the first chapter of the third arc of Pokemon Burst: Blue Moon written up, I might as well share the opening paragraphs of it in anticipation of the series' return in August.

Something was lurking under the ground.

'Something,' in this case, being a convenience of grammar and not a fully accurate description of what the 'thing' was. It could be said to be several somethings, a homogeneous mixture of somethings, that had conglomerated into a single essence. Or it could be said to be a bit of that conglomeration that had broken off, containing several tiny pieces of all the other somethings that had made up the base form, an offshoot of a hivemind, as it were. Or it could be said to defy any reasonable attempt at classification, and thus be best described by the relatively understandable term 'something.'

Ilima would have called it Dark Matter, if he had seen it fall out of his head.

Notably, this is the first time since the opening chapter's brief prologue that I've written any portion of Blue Moon from a third-person perspective. Also notably, my OCD is so ticked off that I ended Arc Two of a story on chapter seventy-nine. Well, not much I can do about that now, can I?

Also, a brief bit of dialogue from my upcoming 'Gattoverse' Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke, and currently the only segment of the story that's actually written down (it won't be in script format when the chapter is actually posted, and the characters WILL have names, I just went with the species names because it makes more sense that way):

Zubat: There's a lot of ugly stereotypes about Zubat. That we sleep in coffins, don't reflect in mirrors, turn to dust in sunlight...

Bellsprout: ...don't like garlic?

Zubat: Oh, that one is true. Garlic is naaaaaaasty stuff.

SprungGeoduck

Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Beautiful
This thread seems fun! Let me throw my hat into the ring. For those not in the know, I'm currently working on turning Blinded by the Light, my stop-start mess of a storylocke, into an actual novel! I realised that the Pokemon aspects were entirely secondary, so I got rid of them and was still left with a perfectly coherent narrative... mostly. Still need to figure out most of the second act and a fair chunk of the supporting cast, but I'll deal with that later. I figured that since I plan on making this an actual book someday, it'd be silly of me to post the whole thing on the forums, but I will post the current draft of Chapter 1, for everyone's possible perusal. Hope you guys enjoy!

It’s midday on a windy Saturday in March, and as usual, I am alone in my family’s house. Mum is off at work. So is Xavier. So is Dad, in a manner of speaking. I could spend my free time studying, but I don’t see the point - I’ve already sent out applications to unis across the country that I’ll defer indefinitely should I ever get accepted, not wanting to throw myself into debt for the rest of my life. I’ll at least pass my exams, that’s all that really matters. Xavier tells me I ought to start working part-time, to accept the reality of my life before I build up too much false hope. He’s probably right.

I look around the mostly drab room that I share with my brother. His side is fairly neat for the living space of a 21-year-old boy. He repainted his wall over the winter; it’s a nice pale blue. My side still bears faded, slowly chipping white paint, not to mention a splintery desk and a chair with a wonky leg. We have one window between us. The only escape from this grimy normality is a pinboard nailed to my wall, featuring a myriad collection of magazine cutouts and printed photos, which mostly showcase my favourite thing in the whole world: Beacon Designs. Xavier usually laughs at me for fantasising about a fashion brand, which is fair, but… come on! The clothes that Cassie Weaver designs, the incredible lives that her and her media luminaries lead - a girl is allowed to aspire to some of that, no?

My phone buzzes on my desk. I shuffle across my bed and claw at it with an outstretched arm, pulling it towards me. There’s a text from Akash Molri, my best friend, on the screen.

i’m bored. afc meeting at giovanni’s? amy’s down

Sure
, I text back. It’ll be nice to have a break from the monotony and spend some time with my friends. I hoist myself off my bed and grab a bright yellow coat from my side of the wardrobe, then head downstairs, pull on my boots, and venture out into the chilly March air. The wind plays with my curly mass of black hair - I couldn’t be bothered to tie it up today. It might be cold and cloudy and generally miserable, but it’s nice to be out of the house. After all, the relative warmth of the Eastview Shopping Centre and Giovanni’s Coffee await. I do have to stand in the cold under a plastic bus shelter, not making eye contact with any of the other people there - you never know what kind of oddities are riding the bus in this part of town - but the bus won’t be long, I’m sure.

Eleven minutes later, the big red double-decker finally shows up to prove me wrong. I climb aboard alongside a young pregnant woman and a slightly unnerving old man in a hardy green coat, drop a few coins into the slot, and take hold of a handrail. There’s only a few seats left, and I’m certainly fit and healthy enough to stand. The pregnant woman smiles at me as she takes her seat. I smile back. What kind of person would I be if I didn’t?

The bus is slow, and loud, and fills quickly with people as it trundles through East London towards slightly less grotty areas. I’m jostled around as the people around me sway with the bus’ braking and acceleration, but eventually, we make it to Eastview, and I can extricate myself from the huddled masses. The steel and glass facade of the shopping centre doesn’t quite gleam today under the cloudy sky, but it beckons me nonetheless. I rush inside, feeling a wave of heat wash over me. I almost don’t notice the lanky boy standing right in front of me.

“Luka!” he seethes, glaring at me. “You almost wandered into me!”

“Sorry, Akash,” I mutter sheepishly, taking a step back. “Should we get going?”

He nods, and we set off into the mall. Its silvery expanses are always a little uncomfortable for me to stomach. After all, I’ll never be able to afford most of what it contains. It wasn’t built for people like me. People like me have to push thoughts of designer electronics and clothes with prices in the hundreds of pounds to the back of our minds. Sometimes I wonder why I come here - after all, I was put on this earth as a gay black girl, and I don’t need more reminders that I’m at the bottom of the social barrel. It’s not like I resent it or anything, but…

I brush against a thin-faced, well-dressed woman by accident. She glares at me, looking me up and down from my unkempt hair to my cheap shoes, then struts off in a huff.

Okay, maybe I resent it a bit. Akash gives me a knowing look and ushers me along.

“What am I supposed to do, Akash?” I mutter, not really expecting an answer.

“What do you mean?” he asks.

I sigh. “You know what I mean. School’s ending soon - and then what? I can’t afford to go to uni, I’m not particularly clever or pretty - all I’m good at is art, and where’s that going to get me?”

We’ve been having this conversation with increasing frequency as the end of our final term draws nearer. We never go anywhere new with it.

“What do you want me to tell you?” he says.

We are interrupted by the arrival of the third member of our trio, Amy Cooper. I’d barely noticed that we were already outside Giovanni’s.

“You two alright?” she chirps. She’s holding a tray with three coffees in it.

“Same as always, Amy,” I reply with a shrug.

We sit down at a table on the fringes of the coffee shop. Giovanni’s is a modest, independently run place that’s been our hangout for years, albeit one we’ve jeopardised several times, like the time Amy almost got fired on her first day as a part-timer, or when both Amy and I thought Akash was going to get rejected hard by Leo, the owner’s son. Fortunately, neither of those things came to pass; Amy still works here, and Akash and Leo are very happy together.

“Hello, everyone!”

Speaking of Leo, there he is. Akash smiles like an idiot as his boyfriend pecks him on the cheek.

“Alright,” Amy announces, “I call this meeting of the Absentee Fathers Club to order. Not counting you, Leo, your dad is a treasure and we love him very much.”

“Thank you,” he chuckles.

The club is a silly thing, named for our collectively rubbish father figures. Amy’s dad was in prison for drug offences, and after he got out her mum decided she wanted nothing to do with him. Akash’s parents divorced when he was ten; his dad went back to India, never to be seen again. My father is the only remotely honourable one; he’s a soldier in the army, deployed in Iraq time and time again for as long as I can remember. It’s something we’ve always bonded over: in lieu of our fathers, we’ve had each other. Today, though, we struggle for things to talk about. Akash and Leo fawn over each other in that way that makes me wish I could find someone. Amy complains about school. I half-listen as I look over at the Beacon Designs outlet that sits across from the coffee shop. I always found that placement to be a serendipitous twist of fate in my life. The store is big and open, with a clear view from the entrance across low-rise shelves and a few scattered mannequins to a large wall-mounted screen in the back. It’s usually showing an impossibly glamourous promotional reel for Cassie Weaver’s latest collection or some Beacon lifestyle aspect.

Today, however, it catches my eye immediately because it’s showing something very weird; a countdown timer with a minute and six seconds left on it.

“You guys seeing this?” I ask, gesturing towards the screen in the distance.

“What is that?” Amy asks, cocking her head to one side.

“Timer,” Akash mutters. “Guess Cassie Weaver’s finally announcing her ultimate plan for world domination.”

I’m already on my feet. “I’m checking it out.”

“I’m coming with you,” Leo adds. He’s always been into this stuff - not on the same level as me, of course, but enough that we can talk about it. Amy and Akash stay behind, but a quick glance over my shoulder tells me that they’re both poised to leap out of their seats - probably to chase me down in case I do anything ridiculous. They know me far too well.

I barrel into the shop without a thought for all the people probably glaring at me. There’s already a crowd, and it’s growing bigger rapidly. I manage to slide my way into a decent viewing spot near the front of the throng as the timer ticks down. Leo’s much taller than me, so he’s fine to look over people’s shoulders.

The timer hits zero, the screen fades to white briefly, and then Cassie Weaver appears.

She’s not on a big stage in front of thousands of people, weirdly. She’s still wearing the same red suit she’d be wearing if she was, but she sits behind an office desk, with the floor-to-ceiling windows behind her providing a panoramic view of New York City. Her cascading red hair flows freely behind her, and a thin smile spreads across her sharp face.

“Hello,” she says in her smooth, soothing British accent. “I’m Cassie. You’re probably wondering why I’m coming to you live from my office, broadcasting to Facebook, YouTube, and into every Beacon store in the world.”

Why, yes, Cassie! Yes I am.

“I am here with you today because I have a conundrum. You see, I might be the richest woman in the world, and the proud leader of a multi-billion-dollar fashion and lifestyle empire - at the age of thirty-eight - but I am only one woman. Even with all the help I have, there is only so much I can do to uphold what Beacon stands for. As such, I’m looking for someone - two someones, if we are to be specific. Someones who are a bit like me - passionate, driven, confident, appreciative of the beauty of everyone and everything around them. I’m also looking for youth - eighteen to twenty-two; again, need to be specific here - because only youth can bring the kind of energy that is needed.”

She pauses. Smiles again. I release a breath that I’ve been holding since the moment she started speaking.

“So, how’s this all going to work?” she poses. “Well, I have initiated a competition of sorts, open to anyone in the world within my little age bracket. On our website, you will find a place where you can write a letter to me, Cassie Weaver, explaining why you are the perfect person for this opportunity. No rules to this, really; no word count you have to hit. Be as brief or as wordy as you want, I won’t judge either way. If you win, you will get to spend two months this summer here at Beacon, in New York, working together with me and my team at an unprecedented level of access and power. After that… well, we’ll see, won’t we? Whoever you may be, I hope to see you in New York!”

The video fades away, and the room erupts in a vortex of noise. I feel someone grab my hand and spin me around. It’s Leo, and I almost lose my footing as I end up facing him. I spot Amy and Akash not far behind him.

He cocks his head to one side. “So?”

I grin like an idiot. “I have a very, very silly idea.”

Amy interjects, “There’s no way, you’d never -”

“But what if I did?” I say, looking up at her with a half-smile.

Akash ushers us out of the cacophonous shop so we can talk properly.

“Okay, so,” he begins, “the odds of winning are millions to one. All you’d do by entering is rev yourself up for disappointment.”

“I know,” I say, a little louder than I intended. “It’s just… this could be my big chance! It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?”

“Absolutely!” Leo adds. “Just imagine it! Our Luka, a Beacon luminary! She’s absolutely right - it’s worth trying.”

I smile. “Alright, then. I will see you all later. I need to get home.”

Akash shrugs. Amy sighs. Leo cheers. I rush away as fast as my short legs can carry me.

Half an hour later, still buzzing so much that I feel like I might phase into another dimension, I bound into my room to find my brother lying on his bed, reading a magazine.

“Was wondering where you were,” he mutters, glancing up at me for a second.

“No time to explain!” I sputter. “Gotta think, gotta write.”

“Writing?” he quizzes, putting down the magazine now. “That’s new. What’s going on?”

“Possibly the best thing that’s ever happened to me,” I remark, starting the slow, arduous process of turning on my ancient laptop.

He sits up in bed. “Do tell.”

“Okay, so you’re not going to care about this,” I start, “but it is very important to me so please bear with me.”

He nods. “Alright then.”

“Well, Cassie Weaver - yes, my idol, I know - announced this competition, and I have to write a letter to her so I can win, and then I get to spend the summer in New York, at Beacon, and -”

I let out a little scream, probably because saying it all out loud: makes it feel that much more real.

“Okay, okay, I get it,” Xavier mutters. “Remind me what happens if you don’t win?”

“That’s for me to… not think about except in my deepest, darkest nightmares,” I exhale, turning away from my unsupportive brother. “This might be my only shot at getting out of here!”

“What’s so bad about here?” he poses. I’m still not looking at him.

I sigh. “Oh, you know: the grime, the crime, the crippling lack of any meaningful opportunities, the rats. Nothing big.”

“We do not have rats!” he protests. I can hear him shuffling around on the bed in anger.

“No, we definitely do. Saw one yesterday.”

“Whatever, you know what I mean,” he grumbles. “Why can’t you just be happy here, like the rest of us? You’ve heard the stories. Fashion is cutthroat; people who get rich and famous are never actually happy, all that jazz. D’you care about any of that?”

“Are you happy?” I question, turning back towards him. “Really? Is Mum happy? Because I’m not. I’m so tired, Xavier. So tired of feeling like I’m at the bottom of the barrel and there’s no way up. This might fix things! Not just for me - for all of us! Now be quiet; I need to write.”

He returns to his magazine without another word.

As it turns out, writing the most important thing you’ll ever write when writing isn’t really your forte is Really Hard. I spend the first couple of days after the announcement bashing my head against an introductory paragraph. Mum is supportive once I explain what’s going on, but Xavier is quick to remind me that I’m still in my final year of school. I don’t think he’s being nasty, though. He just has some different ideas about my life. When I get a chance to talk to Dad, I tell him, with great enthusiasm, about my master plan. He tells me that he’s proud and supportive, which is all I can ever ask for. I approach my writing with gusto, but gusto is no substitute for talent and ideas.

As the deadline on the Beacon website draws nearer, I genuinely start to panic. I’ve already scrapped two drafts, both completely different styles, and I barely have any idea what to do for attempt three. Juggling the stress of nailing this with trying to not fail school is getting to me. Amy, Akash and Leo all fall victim to my uncharacteristic rambling and ranting. I feel so bad about it. This is so important to me - why can’t I nail it?

Then, one day, as I joke with Leo about how I’ll never be the perfect person for the job, inspiration strikes like a bolt from the blue. I interrupt our little conversation, grab my coffee, and rush home. The words fly out of my brain, through my fingers and on to the screen like magic. I don’t know quite how I’m doing it, but the important bit is that I am. A day or two later, I’m left with this.

Imperfect

Dear Cassie,

My name is Luka Martin, and I am not your perfect girl.

I’m eighteen years old. I’m a black girl from the grotty parts of East London. My hair is a perpetual mess of unkempt curls, my mum and I share a meager collection of makeup, and I feel every imperfection in the pavement through the thin soles of my shoes. In the winter, I freeze half to death from cheap coats and subpar heating. My brother shrugs at my big dreams, and my dad’s never around to help me chase them. My only marketable skill is art, and that’s gone down the drain ever since my tablet broke. That was a real shame - I spent ages saving up for it. Now I just doodle in the margins of notebooks as I try to stumble my way through my last year of school.

Of course, at the end of the day, I still have a cork board on my wall with Beacon’s designs all over it, and a folder on my old laptop with even more pictures and articles saved. It’s everything I dream about, and it makes me want to push on; to give myself more than what I have.

When I saw you on that screen in a Beacon outlet, in a mall I’d never buy anything from, I knew what I had to do. I had to at least try, because I knew there wasn’t anything else I could do. I didn’t want to live in a world of what-ifs and maybes, of thoughts never acted upon. I’ve poured myself into trying, and I’ve failed to write this letter over and over again. Maybe this time it won’t be perfect either, but it’s the best I’ve got.

And that’s fine.

As human beings, we are made of our mistakes and imperfections. I think they make us strong. They made you strong when you were my age, and they make me strong now. That strength is what drives me, because it’s all I have. Some people call it ridiculous, me trying to push through the clouds of my life, but it’s all I can do.

Someday, I’ll break into the sunshine above. All I hope is that you can help me.

Sincerely,
Luka

I don’t dare to show it to anyone else. Anyone else would probably say it’s pure drivel, that I’m a suck-up or overly optimistic or something. I don’t care. I wrote from the heart. That letter is Luka, unadulterated. It is my hopes and dreams, my greatest desires, wrapped up in three hundred and seventy-seven words.

God, I hope it’s enough.

Click.

Now there’s only one way to find out.

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dark
  3. Dragon
  4. Fighting
  5. Ground
  6. Cool
  7. Cute
  8. Tough
  9. ???
OH NO. We're not one page in and I already need this thread taken away from me 👀
FIRST. Some comments
View attachment 787

Post away, guys! And remember that The Grind Never Stops!!

I LOVE how much the art pops here! You've got a nice sense of action :O I'm interested in seeing what the backgrounds are, but I also feel like I don't need them. Also Here's to the grind! Cheers~ 🍻

@Kadew Oh. I suddenly understand the teeth remark.

Uh, well, I'm mostly mired in forum work, but I do have more than enough stuff set aside for Stardust Road. 2020 seems like a pipe dream because, uhhhhh, forum move, but one can dream.

I've LITERALLY been eyeing your signature since i've been on this forum (which has only been a day but sttiiill), and i'm SUPER ecstatic to learn that Stardust Road is a hoenn comic?? I love your concepts, you've got a very nice style that i can't wait to see more of. You can make it for that 2020 deadline. I have faith in you! Aint nothin to it but to do it!

Okay, now. I have kind of this obsession with concept art? I work as a graphic designer at a toy company so i've gotten used to making large amounts of turnarounds and brand-based submission sheets at a very fast pace so now everything I do has to be preceeded by a ton of pre-production. That being said, I will make great use of this thread if given the chance, but please feel free to let me know if I ever get too giddy and post too much. I have ALOT to show lol For now, i'l drop just two things

index.php

Which has a main focus on Lysidia, the mother of my main character, this time around. As well as her trusty partner, Nelly the noivern.

A couple thumbnails I really like:
2681 2682

One of the hardest parts of this chapter, by far, was designing a functional wingsuit/saddle combo for these two. Because of how frail Nelly is, Lysidia chooses to fly on her own alot of the time. But also, because Nelly can be bipedal or walk with that wyvern hunch, the saddle needed to have multiple orientations @[email protected]
In the end, i'm super pleased by how it all turned out and can't wait to show it off!
nellysaddle_by_pcaara_ddazxi1-pre.jpg

file

file

That's all for now~ Will post more later but don't want to spam ;)

Last edited:

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
@Pcaara
hhhhhh ive read the word leftovers too much now it doesn't look like a word
I was kinda wondering if you were a graphic designer based on your logo, and I enjoy seeing your process! it's cool that you hung on to all your old stuff too, its a good reminder to not throw out old stuff.

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dark
  3. Dragon
  4. Fighting
  5. Ground
  6. Cool
  7. Cute
  8. Tough
  9. ???
@mizar Isn't that the weirdest sensation?? It happens to me at work all the time lol simple words like plush or concept start looking like jumbles of characters after a million variations.
I have a TOOON of old stuff. I think it's very important to understand where you've been in order to get a grasp on where you're headed :)

Faleep

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
A pair of WIPS from my latest art project

OP
Feymark

Feymark

Gay Rights!!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/Him/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
@Bug That Hoopa looks so sicko!! I think your style has been evolving soooo much. Your comic may look totally different than the prologue by the time you start putting anything out!

@Pcaara Thanks!! And your development process is so yum yum yum and useful as a guide to others on drafting and approaching creative development. I like your use of commentary leading us up to your stunning piece! Super duper impressive.
I'm also a huuuge sucker for concept art and artbooks so we're one and one for that!

@SprungGeoduck Omg it's been soooo long my dude! I'm glad to see you around in the new forums and still writing!!

Here's a tiny lil' concept art dump I've drawn up within the last month or two! It's a TINY bit spoilery but here we goooo
ddb4w2p-dc6f62a1-f67c-4989-892d-a2b6ea8dd7e8.png
Here is Bugsy and their mom. I wanted to depict Azaleans as a naturist and very reclusive nomad/native peoples. I was inspired by the Saami and Native Americans, and Leon riding a Stantler is unorthodox in most areas but Stantler husbandry is very common in Azalea. It has since diffused up a bit, and that's why you can rent Stantler at the start of route 32. They are very spiritual people, and dress like the ancients did. Silver and gold are very sacred to them, and they wear those colors exclusively as accents/jewelry, not full out outfits. They are people of the forest and prefer green and earthy tones.

I wanted to make Bugsy the young child of an actual adult gym leader, and nonbinary. I also wanted Bugsy to keep their original Japanese names, and a lot of Azaleans use traditional Japanese names and clan surnames (which the wild Pokemon of the wilds do as well, being extremely clan-based and tribal).

slowking_family_by_feymark_ddb4xta-fullview.png

ddb4xu0-1b0325d4-8b01-4e44-acb3-d59d53c54b69.png
Here are some Pokemon and Pokemon anatomy designs I had to come up with to have some upcoming species fit my art style while still looking recognizable.
ddb4w2f-4896599b-a3cb-470d-86a2-473cbf6dbf52.png

_zerto_by_feymark_ddb4xtn-pre.png
Aaaaand here are some concept sketches of possible future looks for Leon! (Inspired by Bayonetta cuz he'll need a bio-adapting suit instead of taking off his clothes all the time)

Last edited:

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dark
  3. Dragon
  4. Fighting
  5. Ground
  6. Cool
  7. Cute
  8. Tough
  9. ???
A pair of WIPS from my latest art project

These are coming along nicely! Can't wait to see what bigger project they're apart of :O

@Pcaara Thanks!! And your development process is so yum yum yum and useful as a guide to others on drafting and approaching creative development. I like your use of commentary leading us up to your stunning piece! Super duper impressive.
I'm also a huuuge sucker for concept art and artbooks so we're one and one for that!

ddb4w2p-dc6f62a1-f67c-4989-892d-a2b6ea8dd7e8.png

slowking_family_by_feymark_ddb4xta-fullview.png

ddb4xu0-1b0325d4-8b01-4e44-acb3-d59d53c54b69.png

ddb4w2f-4896599b-a3cb-470d-86a2-473cbf6dbf52.png

_zerto_by_feymark_ddb4xtn-pre.png

Thank you! Glad you're just as big of a concept art enthusiast (oh, well I guess you did start this thread so that was a given hahaha). I can totally tell by the WIPS you posted that you're really into the breakdown type of concepting. The "let me go into excruciating detail about this one thing even though it only appears for half a frame" kind, which makes me SUPER excited to see what you post in the future!!
Now, on what you've just posted. Those pokemon concepts are MAGICAL. Love the scaling in the first one, and the anatomical breakdown in the second (super vague but you hid them in spoiler tags so i wanna honor that haha). LEON. Leon is just, he's a FINE LAD :love: Nah in all seriousness, the way his outfit works (namely the layer closest to his skin...which maybe is apart of his skin?) is incredibly intriguing. I'm not too familiar with his character, but I know i'd love to know more.

I'll throw a few other things up here, as well! So, a while back on deviantart a friend asked if I could post something about how I make all my references. So I whipped this up. It's WILDLY WORDY. But Hopefully it can help someone here too

dciuw9p-d33d893a-c65a-44ef-9be3-dfc2aefb2bd8.png

And still sharing the theme of guides, a month or so ago, i made a PDF that collected all the real life influences for hoenn and it's cities (based on the hoenn-japan guide on bulbapedia). Also mixed with it were other images that I thought fit the aesthetic of the town. Then I made a sheet of stock NPC characters and started designing sets for each town that I could just easily reference whenever I was working on a chapter. Unfortunately I didn't get too far into the "designing individual town batches" part of this project, but having moodboards of what each place looks like really helped regardless. So here's a few pieces from that:

61326022_667285777066771_7972130183857569792_n.png

Tried to cover as large a variety of body types as possible.

61357757_365055407478094_6522046025253781504_n.jpg

61351638_190805311817047_835375116211716096_n.png

Kadew

*plotting something*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Dang this thread got away from me, but there's some amazing stuff in here! I really love seeing how people think through a design until it reaches its final form. Not gonna comment on everything but some standouts

@Pcaara Holy wow your stuff is in depth, I love your logo and that graphic design background is doing amazing work. I really need to get around to reading through your comic soon, it's clear you put a ton of thought into every design and detail.

@Faleep Ooooh animation! I'm interested to see the end result of this new project of yours.

@Feymark I'm so excited to see you get to Azalea, you know that? Those outfit designs of yours are always super stylish and fitting. Also those slowpoke/bro/king look stellar.

My own offering is small and coarse by comparison, since it's been a hot minute since I've been able to draw at all, and most "preproduction" work of mine exists in scattered notebook margins, but anyways. As I was working on the next coming page of Kurukkoo!, I had this sketch at the bottom of the page which is supposed to be a panel for a pivotal moment, but was pretty underwhelming and plain.
ddb5b9a-6711179c-29fa-4f23-a74a-0af6a784867c.png

Where's the drama! Where's the personality! This is just a pair of cardboard cutouts of my characters. Tells you nothing at all except that "a handshake occurs." I can do better than this. So I tried to do the same action, but with more oomph behind it.
ddb5b9j-53ea9b15-fcef-409e-aaa8-68c252a7357e.png

That's more like it. Bring the camera down for a low angle tilting up for that power pose. Twist their torsos a bit for more line of action. Make their off hands do something indicative. Blue holds his fist clenched in determination, Red has her hand on her hip casually (and unfoundedly) confident. Now THIS is a panel, it does more than just say what happens, it shows of what it feels like. There is story here being told by only the art, and that is what I want. Expression is mandatory. I'm real proud of this revision.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
@Pcaara watching your process is really inspiring honestly. I'm struggling to get a foothold with some parts of my comic, but the mood boards in particular have given me something constructive to do and organize my thoughts.

littlerootboard.png

petalburgboard.png

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Dark
  3. Dragon
  4. Fighting
  5. Ground
  6. Cool
  7. Cute
  8. Tough
  9. ???
@Kadew HELL yeah! Trying to figure out all the angles possible to make a specific scene really pop is a ton of fun. Gotta get that
P O W E R P O S E

@Bug OH??? I'm honored!! >///< Having my stuff inspire others to create is, like, the highest compliment loll Your interpretations of Littleroot and Petalburg are AESTHETIC. I'm really glad you found some use for my exercise ;;A;;

Users who are viewing this thread