• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke is now live! In this episode we're introducing two new stories, In the Sun's Embrace and Run Away, Survivors, and having a discussion about writing antagonists!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Sinnoh the color of heaven - a platinum storylocke

Thread Description
[02/17 - part 1] "How about... Aerie? You... remind me of the sky."

Clockenstein

starfinder
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
~/forums/nuzf/users/c/clockenstein/data/public/
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Fatal kernel error: 'DEX_BASIC' not found.

Ad astra -- or so they say.

1. faint -> death -> box / release
2. name everything; call dupes up to 2x or move on
3. basic poké balls only
4. set mode
5. kill anything legendary
6. ends at the champion, or equivalent
7. wipe = fail

Clockenstein

starfinder
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
~/forums/nuzf/users/c/clockenstein/data/public/
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Fatal kernel error: 'DEX_BASIC' not found.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i.

Blue—blue, on blue, on blue, all the way down.

He hadn't noticed in the rush to get away. Not in the dark. But in the firelight, that's his first impression.

The boy's blue hair, long and unkempt, trails down to the ground so long as the boy sits there, curled up and hugging his knees, clasping a blue pendant at the tips of his fingers.

ii.

"My name is Rune," he offers. "Yours?"

The boy looks up at him, his blue eyes reflecting meager sparks crackling in the fire between them.

(Now that he gets a closer look, aren't they about the same age?)

"My... name?"

iii.

They can't stay long. Not in the open.

The boy nods off, but Rune shakes him awake just as quickly.

"Come on."

"I'm tired."

"You can rest later. We have to go."

The Galteans pass by, an hour later, and there isn't even any soot left behind from the fire. Nothing to say that two people had been there.

iv.

"Where to?" asks the skyskimmer's pilot. One arm on the steering wheel, and the other, palm open, curled behind him as though expecting something.

"Veritia," Rune answers. Clink drops the bag of coins in the pilot's hand.

He drops the boy's sleeping figure onto a backseat before settling in one himself.

v.

"Veritia is a bit far, y'know?"

But this after they've already taken off from the skyport, cruising quickly between the floating islands.

"What?" Rune snaps. "You need more money, or something?"

Fair enough, the pilot thinks to himself, saying something else. "Visiting a friend, then? ...Well, not my business to pry, I suppose."

"Then don't."

vi.

Veritia, Star of the Desert, Gem of the Sands, whatever people like to call it—a small and lively town, southern corner of some southern island of some southern corner of the skyland of Shino.

A good place, if not a bit hot and a bit loud.

"Stay close to me," Rune motions to the boy, who nods and grabs on tighter to Rune's arm.

A good place, if a bit crowded. And easy for anything—or anyone—to get lost in.

vii.

One way of greeting people:

"How do you ever stand to live here, Roh Waan?" Rune asks. "Too hot. Too loud. Thought you liked your peace and quiet."

The man at the other end doesn't get up. Doesn't so much as turn from his telescope.

"No better place to see the skies at night than in a desert, Rune."

"Just me or have your horns grown?" Rune says. "Look a bit more... gnarled."

"Just your imagination."

viii.

Rune's idea of a bad joke:

"You spend months looking for anyone who'll hire an archaeologist—" and here Roh Waan scratches his head (rather, at one of his horns), "then you break into their lab and steal one of their test subjects."

Rune shrugs. "They let me in, to be more precise."

ix.

Rune's idea of a good reason:

"Distorted essence, anti-essence, whatever you like to call it—"

"They were using it on him?"

"They used him to make it."

Roh Waan's eyebrows furrow.

"Galteans."

In a corner of the observatory, the boy listlessly spins at Roh Waan's collection of globes.

x.

"The ability to manifest aetherbeasts?"

"More than that. To commune with them. To... draw upon their power, even."

"What exactly do you mean by that?"

At this, Rune pulls out his bag. Walks to the table. Holds the bag upside down, sending a pile of notebooks tumbling thud thud flap thud onto it.

"The empire's research notes," he explains.

"You stole their research notes?"

"Spent a few days copying them before I broke him out."

Roh Waan strokes his chin. "I'm always surprised how much thought you can put into being so reckless."

xi.

What Rune leaves out of the explanation:

"Aether of the torn dragon,

Swallow the glittering stars."

The boy's eyes shine a radiant azure in the dark corridor.

"Giratina!"

His pendant gleams. Black particles amass in thin air, solid mass stealing light from the lamps flickering on the walls.

The soldiers back off from the growing shape.

A sudden, piercing screech. They scream. They're cut off abruptly.

Then, they aren't there.

xii.

While they spend the next day poring over the Empire's notes, the blue-haired boy explores the observatory. Small as it is.

("Just don't touch any of the instruments," Roh Waan tells him. "Are we clear? Is that fine?")

(It's fine—he looks at the instruments, he sees that they measure something, and he's reminded of—never mind. He doesn't touch them.)

("Well," Roh Waan adds. "I suppose there's no harm in the telescope, if you want.")

(He tries to let curiosity get the better of him. But he doesn't touch the telescope either.)

xiii.

"Can't say I've ever read anything quite like this, Rune."

"Damn."

"I know what you're thinking. But—drawing out aetherbeast essences. Manifesting them from it—"

"I know."

"I don't know many Acuitians, even, who'd dare to breach that."

"That's why I came here."

"Yes, well, and if I haven't heard of it—"

"Then no one has." Rune clicks his tongue.

xiv.

Rune starts packing before even the hint of first light.

"Can't stay."

"Surprised you didn't leave sooner."

"You can keep the notebooks," Rune says, gesturing to the table.

"Kind of you, but—they'll know you were here."

Rune considers everything this means.

He scoops the notebooks back into his bag.

xv.

"An acquaintance of mine," Roh Waan explains, as he jots a note. "He can help."

"I'm all ears."

"You're familiar with Roh Ah-ku, perhaps?"

"The Duke of Oriba?" Rune whistles. "Leave it to you to be so... connected."

"In exchange," and Roh Waan extends the finished letter to Rune, "you'll do me a favor."

"A favor?"

He reaches for the letter, but Roh Waan pulls it back out of reach.

"Tell me," Roh Waan asks, "what's the boy's name?"

xvi.

They slip out by dawn. Rune figures it's better they blend into the crowd, so this time they take a skyship, first of the day bound for Oriba. Good westerly winds, says a crew member he passes as he boards. Perfect for a quick trip.

(Yes, they're dirtier, they're louder, and there's never any room—but they're cheaper than skyskimmers, and the pilots are much less nosy.)

(And of course—the view of the sky from the deck.)

xvii.

The Galteans knock on Roh Waan's door three days later.

"You're free to look," he says. "But I make a point not to shelter fugitives who will get my observatory burnt down."

"Well said," says the sergeant. He nods to the three soldiers behind him, and they scatter through the house, looking through Roh Waan's things. "No need to worry. It's simply my job."

"Trust me," Roh Waan grumbles, "I speak from... experience."

xviii.

"I... the sky?"

Blue on blue on blue, Rune thinks to himself, the morning breeze still blowing behind them, the deck fortunately sparse.

He looks up at the sky, now turning from evening indigo to daybreak blue.

"It's a word from the Stardwellers' ancient language," he explains. "It's what they call the sky. It's nothing much."

The blue boy considers this, and purses his lips.

"If it's a name, you know—it means everything, doesn't it?"

Rune smiles.

"I guess you're right, Aerie."
"How about... Aerie? You... remind me of the sky."

Hi. It's been a while.

Expect something short. Ten, maybe fifteen parts at most. To those on writecord who were spooked that I wrote eight chapters in a few hours, this is what I meant, so, yes, it's literally nothing. Huge credits to Thirteenth, and the style she uses for her phenomenal Family; or, Proposals and Forever for finally giving me the last piece I needed to kick this idea out of my head and onto a page. Well, actually, even older than that, there's Aspects from literally forever ago, and Tsunami. Please tell me the old guard still remembers Sloth.

A few things:
  • the setting and general plot is largely inspired by Granblue Fantasy and its first story arc, but it's probably even better if you come into this not knowing a lick of the lore, so you don't have any preconceptions about what I'm going to do
  • yes, we're on my minimalist bullshit again, so please feel free to bitch at me if as usual nothing is clear and you have to read over it five times to get it (although that was supposed to be the idea... maybe)
  • updates once per week
  • banner font: vincHand by JOEBOB graphics
That's about it for now. I'll probably devote this section in future updates to whatever nonsense I needed to research, because, like writers should, you might get a kick out of some useless trivia that no one else aside from us knows.

dc_reed

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 31, 2021
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
I really like it. It is not my style of writing, but the minimalist aspect of it is leaving a shroud of mystery that otherwise wouldn't be there. It is amazing to me how by being so sparse you have created alot of room for me to create the images and place setting of the story in my mind, now I don't know if the vivid images are thanks in part to me playing through Dimond and Platinum over a half dozen times each...

Regardless I am intrigued and am looking forward to more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)