• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Johto Written Log General The Atrocity (Chapters 8 ad 9 are up, in which a new poll starts and I make a horrible mistake)

Which starter should I choose?

• Total voters
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Two rulesets. One kitten. No soap. Radio.

reshishigas

Subway Boss
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2022
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Bug
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon says and writes whatever is on their mind, even if they may cringe at it one year later.
Calling it now, if Azjiz survives long enough, she'll become a wrecker. The mareep line is one of the best mons Johto has to offer, and though you'll be stuck with limited coverage until you reach the move relearner (I think that's when they could learn signal beam and fire punch) they're indeed powerful. Hope the best for her! And for Gror too, because Totodile rules.

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
I…
Well.
This is…ambitious.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
And... caught up! As I said before, really interesting see you deal with both rulesets and their cumulative effects. Lots of pokemon not wanting to be with each other on the party it seems 😄

About the Zubat question @Green Tea @Ryomu @Trollkitten - indeed the rules mean that you are allowed to use Zubat indoors whenever you want, and outdoors only in the night, so it isn't that bad. I wonder, do you guys I think I should word it differently to make it clearer, and if so how? Also about the flavor, vampires usually are able to survive weaker sources of light and are only sensitive to direct daylight on most relevant myths, that's why I chose this version.

(Also a note about that Wooper, you do have Chosen of Tiamat so it would have been less terrible, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it).
The interesting part of this nuzlocke (well, one of the interesting parts, anyway) is how the different Pokemon interact with each other and who wants to be near whom/away from whom.
Thanks for qualifying it! I assumed that was the intent, but the wording left it open to ambiguity.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to word it as follows:

Burned by the Light
In a game with a day/night cycle - Cannot be used outdoors during daylight or bright sunlight. If the conditions change during battle, it must be switched out immediately or it is considered dead at the end of combat.
In a game without day/night cycle - When used outdoors, it can only be used for 3 consecutive turns, then if not switched out it is considered dead at the end of combat.

I, uh, added the note about bright sunlight, because even though it's night, you could still use sunny day and surely that's just as bad? Apologies if I'm treading on any toes with that, though.

Welcome to the team, Azjiz, I hope you go far. I'm a big fan of the mareep line, and in Johto it's a real crutch Pokémon.

With so many /flying types, you shouldn't break a sweat over Bugsy. Even better if you can nab a rock-type from the Dark Cave on your way.
Let's see if we can do so!
Calling it now, if Azjiz survives long enough, she'll become a wrecker. The mareep line is one of the best mons Johto has to offer, and though you'll be stuck with limited coverage until you reach the move relearner (I think that's when they could learn signal beam and fire punch) they're indeed powerful. Hope the best for her! And for Gror too, because Totodile rules.
I love our electric sheep and hope that she goes far.
I…
Well.
This is…ambitious.
It is indeed.

So something has occurred to me. Our unhatched Togepi's data rule negates the effects of data rules for Dragon-type Pokemon. According to Gror's lorerule, he is Dragon/Poison/Water type. This means that once Togepi hatches, it will be able to negate Gror's data rule, meaning that Gror will no longer require Azjiz (the Mareep) to be in the party for Gror to be in the party. So that's a rare instance where a lore rule directly affects a data rule, although just how 'rare' these instances will be is yet to be seen.

As Bela leaves the Poke Mart where she recently adopted the Togepi egg, she's greeted by a strange woman in a red kimono, who takes an unhealthy interest in the egg. She asks Bela to take good care of it, which of course Bela has every intention of doing and will in no way recklessly endanger a smol birb's life through the craziest nuzlocke ruleset I've ever played.

So with that out of the way, we do our daily Apricorn collection, and then realize that Bela has missed a potential encounter area: the Ruins of Alph, where Unown lurk. After solving a surprisingly easy puzzle, Bela falls down into the ruins, gets an Unown Report from a Super Nerd, and then encounters her first Unown, an Unown J.

Lore rule:
Warding Glyph
As long as Unown is in your party, ignore the effect of lore rules of
pokemon, whose lore rule name includes the Unown letter, as you
catch them.

Data rule:
Telepathy. This Pokemon is immune to the negative effects of data rules from all Pokemon except Dark-type Pokemon. When this Pokemon is in the front of your party, all of your Pokemon are immune.

Well, this being a J Unown, the Warding Glyph rule isn't going to be particularly helpful (J being a letter that isn't really used much), and while Telepathy could be useful, it's so poorly worded that I could probably break it quite easily, and honestly, I don't think it's worth wasting any Poke Balls on regardless. Its Hidden Power is SE on Gror, so it's either Grass or Electric, which I can easily test by switching into Azjiz... and it deals neutral damage, meaning it's Grass. Hmm. I don't currently have any Grass-type attacks on my team, so I guess I could do something with this guy. (And I mean "guy" in a decidedly gender-neutral manner.)

Given that this is after all an Unown, I decide to click the random generator (this time an orc name generator) until I get something that starts with J. Unfortunately it does not appear that orcs even know what the letter J is (they seem to like G and B, though), so I name the guy Lurog and send them to the PC.

On the way back to Violet Town, I get the HM for Rock Smash, which is nice because now I can farm items and get a Geodude (I'm Pinwheel Clausing the Ruins of Alph, all right?) ...I say, but none of my Pokemon can even learn Rock Smash, so no Geodude just yet. I do however get to look up Lurog's status at Violet City -- Lonely nature, loves to eat, Levitate ability. (What do Unown even eat, anyway?)

Heading back to Route 32, a random guy complements Bela on how she's trained her Pokemon and gives her the Miracle Seed, an item that Lurog would probably like, but they're not on the team so who cares. Gror learns Bite over Scratch in a trainer battle, and I very quickly (re)learn that wild Mareep are a thing here and that thus I should not lead with either of my wedlocked birbs that could be Thunder Shocked into an early grave. There are also wild Hoppip here, which are at such low levels that they know no attacking moves and are basically free birb snacks.

Once we reach the Pokemon Center, Bela gets an Old Rod and some Lure Balls from two of the other patrons. As tempting as it may be to go Magikarp fishing in some of the towns, I'm thinking I'll wait until I get something with Headbutt and go more for tree encounters. Gyarados is good and all, but it's kind of overused.

And now for our Union Cave encounter, which is... a male Geodude! The good news is, this can learn Rock Smash. The bad news is, I won't be able to get a Geodude from Rock Smash because of dupes clause. The good news to the bad news is that this means that once we get to access the grassy areas of the Ruins of Alph, we can get an encounter there instead... assuming we catch this thing, anyway.

Lore rule:
The Golem of Prague
This pokemon is a magical guardian golem. Choose a pokemon in your party. Geodude/Graveler/Golem is assigned as the guardian of this pokemon meaning: you can only use Geodude/Graveler/Golem as long as the guarded pokemon is in the same party as it is. Whenever a lore rule affects the guarded pokemon negatively you may redirect it to the guardian, and if that pokemon is wounded you must use healing items to heal it to full health while the guardian is out before the guardian can use any moves or items on itself. If the guarded pokemon dies, the guardian loses control. If there is a Psychic pokemon on your team it can deac#tivate the guardian, if not it first attacks each of your pokemon in your party and 20% kills them, and then becomes deactivated (and can’t be used). You can reactivate it by throwing away 3 non-bought revives or light clay and choose a new pokemon to be guarded.

Data rule:
Rolling Stone (Bouncing Ball).
Every time this Pokemon uses a move in a trainer battle, 50% chance that it uses the same move on the next turn. If so, you are unable to use items or switch it out on that turn. Must know Rollout or Bounce if possible.

Hmm... the lore rule could be problematic, but the data rule is negated by An'zeh, and also it's a Geodude and thus I still want it. Vanlamir uses Sleep Powder on it, I throw three Poke Balls in succession, and our boy is caught! For his nickname, the random generator is for Hollows from Bleach, which I know absolutely nothing about, but since he's a guardian golem that clings to whomever gets chosen for him to guard, I name him Stalky N. No relation to the Unova rival.

I decide that since Vanlamir caught him, he will be Vanlamir's guardian, which means that the Togepi egg temporarily gets boxed in favor of the decidedly questionably named Geodude that I do want to use but have all the regrets as to what I named him. It only occurs to me later that it might make more sense to link him with An'zeh, who negates his data rule, but I have another reason for linking him to Vanlamir, which is because I want him linked to a Pokemon that doesn't currently already necessitate my having another Pokemon in the party with them, and thus leaving me more open for party switches in the future. Stalky N is Impish, often dozes off, and has the Rock Head ability. I then teach Stalky N Rock Smash because he's the only one on the team that can use it, and head back up to the Ruins of Alph to grind for both Exp. points and shards to trade for berries.

Once I've gotten over the fact that I've probably given Geodude the most questionable name possible for a PG-rated nuzlocke, my brain shifts over to trying to craft an appropriate personality for an inappropriate name. I soon decide that Stalky N is muscle for hire, not the type of bodyguard that's hired for his intelligence. When he starts something, he keeps at it until it's done, even if (especially if) it's breaking faces. Vanlamir hired him as job security because with all these other Flying-types around, and Butterfree being an early-route bug type from way back before being an early-route bug type meant anything good, Vanlamir needs something to help him stand out from the crowd, and apparently that something is a partner in crime.

While switch training/shard hunting, Stalky N learns Rock Polish over Mud Sport, and we get a ton of shards that we trade for berries. On the way back to the Route 32 Pokemon Center, Stalky N learns Rock Throw over Rock Polish, Azjiz evolves into Flaaffy while fighting Fishermen, and Mom calls to tell us that she's bought something with our money and is gonna send it to us. Well, ah... that's nice, but it means we have to backtrack all the way back to Violet Town and have to take the entirety of Route 32 again, twice. At the very least, the object is a Super Potion, which isn't bad.

The next day, as we're gathering Apricorns because Wynaut, Stalky N learns Magnitude over Tackle, and we get our Route 33 encounter, which is... a female Rattata.

Lore rule:
Servant of the Pied Piper
When you catch this pokemon you must either
sacrifice items worth 2000 pokeyen / 1/4 of your
pokeyen (the higher of the options, or the one you
can afford in case you can’t afford one of them), or
lose your lowest levelled pokemon (from your box
or party) – it is considered lost/dead and can't be
used anymore

Data rule:
Constant Gnawer (Toothy). Must know at least one biting move if possible and open every battle with it. In games with held items, must hold a hard item such as a Hard Stone or a Nugget.

I decide to go for it on account that the lowest leveled Pokemon I currently have is an Unown and I certainly won't miss it. Vanlamir uses Sleep Powder to safely make Rattata easier to catch, and I manage to catch her. Her random generator actually comes up a character trait generator, but I decide "What the heck" and use it anyway, making her name Patient. Along the way to Azalea Town to check on Patient's status, Vanlamir learns Gust over Stun Spore.

Since the lore rule says I lose my lowest leveled Pokemon and eggs do not have levels, my Togepi egg survives, while Lurog is sent to the Death Box for death by lore rule. This gives Vanlamir Lurog's lore rule, which means that he now has Warding Glyph (for the sake of continuity, the letter is still J despite Vanlamir not being an Unown). I learn that Patient is Quirky, strongly defiant, has the Run Away ability, and holds a Chilan Berry.

And now that that's dealt with, it's time for me to head into Ilex Forest and get another low-leveled encounter there! ...I would say, if the only non-dupes encounter available during the day wasn't Paras, and that being a five percent chance to encounter. If I wait for night to fall, I have a high chance of getting Oddish, and if I go ahead and do the Slowpoke Well plot, then my Ilex Forest encounter will be locked behind me defeating August, so this seems like a good enough point to stop for now. Smell ya then!

Rash, highly persistent
Torrent

Lore rule:
The Tanninim of Tiamat (Chosen of Tiamat)
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. Must know a Poison or Dragon type move if possible. Its main type is considered Dragon, and secondary types are Poison and Water for the purpose of lore rules. When Totodile/Croconaw/Feraliagtor dies, choose a Water type pokemon and a Flying type pokemon you have, or had and died due to a lore rule. You may revive each of these pokemon and reroll its lore rule, or just reroll its lore rule if it is alive. If the new lore rule is activated upon catching, it is then activated again.

Data rule:
Descendant of the Drake Fossil.
You must have an Electric or Water type Pokemon in your party to use this Pokemon (unless it is the only Pokemon you own). While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Dragon-type Pokemon in your party and of Dragon-type Pokemon that you catch, as well as the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party or that you catch (including Genesect).
Hasty, sturdy body
Tangled Feet
Wedlocked to Vharde

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing
moves. You are not allowed to open a trainer battle
using this pokemon.

Data rule:
Descendant of Archeops.
This Pokemon is considered Flying/Rock type for the purpose of data rules. Must know at least one Rock, Ground, or Steel type move if possible. While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Rock-type Pokemon in your party, and of Rock-type Pokemon you catch.. You may ignore the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party (including Genesect).
Necessary move: Sand Attack
Modest, mischievous
Keen Eye
Wedlocked to An'zeh

Lore rule:
Griffin Ancestry
When you catch this pokemon Wedlocke it with
another pokemon of your choice (both pokemon
must stay at your party at the same time, and if one
of the pokemon dies the Wedlocke ends at the end
of battle). It mates for life, and can’t be Wedlocked
ever again. Whenever this pokemon evolves you
must throw away items worth 10,000 pokeyen or a
Nugget - if you can’t pay, box it immediately and its
Wedlocked partner until you choose to pay. As a
Fearow, you may also cancel the negative effects
of the lore rule of the pokemon that is Wedlocked
to Fearow.

Data rule:
Sound the Alarm (High Alert).
If this Pokemon is in your party and a Pokemon’s data rule endangers any of your Pokemon, you may roll to see which Pokemon it would target before deciding whether to capture it or not (rather than before capturing it). Must know a sound-based move if possible and, if it is at the front of the party, open every trainer battle with it.
Necessary move: Growl
Quirky, somewhat vain
Compound Eyes

Lore rule:
A Living Soul
Only comes into effect as a Butterfree and when you have
your first dead pokemon. Randomize a pokemon you had
who died. This pokemon is the reincarnation of its soul and
it gains its lore rule (choose only a pokemon with a rule that
can make sense mechanically for this Butterfree). In addition
to that, it must have at least two Psychic/Ghost type moves
if possible
Necessary moves: Confusion
Inherited Lurog's lore rule:
Warding Glyph
As long as Unown is in your party, ignore the effect of lore rules of pokemon, whose lore rule name includes the Unown letter (J), as you
catch them.

Data rule:
Vulnerable Shell
If this Pokemon is hit with a critical or super-effective hit, it dies. Loses effect when it evolves into Butterfree.
Calm, quick to flee
Static

Lore rule
The Golden Fleece of Khrysomallos
When you catch this pokemon choose a male and a female non-starter
pokemon you own. Mareep/Flaaffy can only be in your party if at least one of these pokemon is in it as well, and loses this effect when it evolves into Ampharos. When Mareep/Flaaffy dies or evolves into Ampharos (whatever happens first) you gain an item called “The Golden Fleece”. You can give this item to one of your other pokemon and it doesn’t take the held item slot, it can’t be moved to another pokemon or taken away even if that pokemon dies, and the pokemon holding it is considered Royal, is immune to the effects of negative lore rules related to money and items, and can sacrifice the Golden Fleece to prevent its death from a lorerule.
Male Pokemon: An'zeh
Female Pokemon: Vharde

Data rule
Beacon of Hope. Must know at least one Electric-type or Fire-type move, or a move associated with light -- Signal Beam, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Cannot be in the same party as a Pokemon whose data rule only allows it to be used at night.
Impish, often dozes off
Rock Head

Lore rule:
The Golem of Prague
This pokemon is a magical guardian golem. Choose a pokemon in your party. Geodude/Graveler/Golem is assigned as the guardian of this pokemon meaning: you can only use Geodude/Graveler/Golem as long as the guarded pokemon is in the same party as it is. Whenever a lore rule affects the guarded pokemon negatively you may redirect it to the guardian, and if that pokemon is wounded you must use healing items to heal it to full health while the guardian is out before the guardian can use any moves or items on itself. If the guarded pokemon dies, the guardian loses control. If there is a Psychic pokemon on your team it can deac#tivate the guardian, if not it first attacks each of your pokemon in your party and 20% kills them, and then becomes deactivated (and can’t be used). You can reactivate it by throwing away 3 non-bought revives or light clay and choose a new pokemon to be guarded.
Guarded Pokemon: Vanlamir the Butterfree

Data rule:
Every time this Pokemon uses a move in a trainer battle, 50% chance that it uses the same move on the next turn. If so, you are unable to use items or switch it out on that turn. Must know Rollout or Bounce if possible.
Negated by An'zeh's data rule
Naive, alert to sounds
Inner Focus

Lore rule:
Burned by the Light
In a game with day/night cycle - Can only be used out#doors in the night.
In a game without day/night cycle - When used outdoors
it can only be used for 3 consecutive turns, then if not
switched out it is considered dead in the end of combat.

Data rule:
Chosen of Lunala.
When this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon in your party and of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon as you catch them. If a Pokemon in your party can only be used at night, its data rule is negated when it is in the same party as this Pokemon. If a data rule would have you sacrifice a Moon Stone, you do not need to sacrifice it. Must know a Psychic move if possible. Must know a Ghost move if possible. Must hold a Moon Stone if possible.
Quirky, strongly defiant
Run Away

Lore rule:
used anymore

Data rule:
Constant Gnawer (Toothy). Must know at least one biting move if possible and open every battle with it. In games with held items, must hold a hard item such as a Hard Stone or a Nugget.
Lonely, loves to eat
Levitate
Died by lore rule

Lore rule:
Warding Glyph
As long as Unown is in your party, ignore the effect of lore rules of pokemon, whose lore rule name includes the Unown letter, as you
catch them.

Data rule:
Telepathy. This Pokemon is immune to the negative effects of data rules from all Pokemon except Dark-type Pokemon. When this Pokemon is in the front of your party, all of your Pokemon are immune.

Last edited:

Green Tea

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Considered bitter by many.
It's not a Johto run until you capture a geodude and use it to steamroll most of the gyms. Having it tied to a butterfree isn't great in the long-term, as they tend to drop off, but let's let the future worry about the future. Maybe Vanlamir will surprise me and stick it out to the bitter end!

You can get your oddish and snag an obligatory slowpoke, but you're building up a respectable Johto team here, and covering a lot of bases. I know some of the rules can make life a little more difficult than necessary, but even though you've had to turn down a few captures due to their rules, your team doesn't appear to be suffering for it - it's a little flying-heavy, but otherwise it's solid. You're not stocked full of bland early-game normal-types at least!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
update 1: aw too bad about the gastly

WOOPER!!!!!! YESSSSSS (nooo)

if you didn't already have your grok i would've voted for wooper. they're so baby and quagsire are so friend

update 2:
NICE JOB ON FALKNER!!! really kicked his butt

oof, close call on the wild mareep....

and oooo chosen of lati!! that's a nice rule, i quite like it

update 3:
i love the unown, i think they're fun and quirky. telepath is....yeah. it's worded oddly now that you mention it! kind of glad i haven't had to really scrutinize the rule for using yet

Ryomu

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
So something has occurred to me. Our unhatched Togepi's data rule negates the effects of data rules for Dragon-type Pokemon. According to Gror's lorerule, he is Dragon/Poison/Water type. This means that once Togepi hatches, it will be able to negate Gror's data rule, meaning that Gror will no longer require Azjiz (the Mareep) to be in the party for Gror to be in the party. So that's a rare instance where a lore rule directly affects a data rule, although just how 'rare' these instances will be is yet to be seen.
According to Gror's lore rule, he is Dragon/Poison/Water type for the purpose of lore rules. It is Togepi's data rule that negates Dragon data rules. Sadly, I think there is no interaction.
Otherwise, Gror's data rule would also be able to negate his own lore rule.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
According to Gror's lore rule, he is Dragon/Poison/Water type for the purpose of lore rules. It is Togepi's data rule that negates Dragon data rules. Sadly, I think there is no interaction.
Otherwise, Gror's data rule would also be able to negate his own lore rule.
What the lore rule actually says is "Its main type is considered Dragon, and secondary types are Poison and Water for the purpose of lore rules." The placement of the comma doesn't make it clear if the 'purpose of lore rules' is for the Dragon or just for the Poison and Water.

And while I didn't make this terribly clear, the data rule does not allow the affected Pokemon to negate its own data rule, just the data rule of other Dragon-type Pokemon in the party/that we catch. Reasoning being that if Gror negated his own data rule, it would create a catch-22 in that his data rule wouldn't be in effect, so the negation wouldn't be in effect, so his data rule would be in effect, and so on.

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
oh goodness, catching the rat actually caused that to happen? the poor unown D: these rules really do seem dangerous huh

anyways, good job on catching geodude! an epic 'mon, hopefully he can be taken far and prove himself in the gyms to come xD

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
What the lore rule actually says is "Its main type is considered Dragon, and secondary types are Poison and Water for the purpose of lore rules." The placement of the comma doesn't make it clear if the 'purpose of lore rules' is for the Dragon or just for the Poison and Water.
Seems like an obtuse way of reading the rules for the sake of allowing this interaction, resulting in Gror only counting as Water because of the lore rule rather than because that is Totodile's actual type.
In which case, data rules that deal with Water types would not apply to him.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I think it's probably best to tag @RubyClaw for a more official interpretation.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I left off last time saying that I was waiting until nightfall to get my Ilex Forest encounter, in hopes of getting an Oddish. Well, I did so... and wound up with a Paras anyway. (It's male.) Design-wise, I do like the Paras line, but gameplay-wise, oof. Two 4x weaknesses, horrible offensive/defensive typing, and awful stats. Well, let's hope that at least the lore/data rules are all right, then!

Lore rule:
Spore Cloud Protection
Every pokemon used to catch this pokemon 50% enters a deep slumber/is
paralyzed and can’t be used until you defeat the next gym leader (or enter Victory
Road). Must know a move with the word “Spore” in it if possible and it’s the only
move it can use if it’s health is in the red.

Data rule:

Tochukaso Medicine. At any point after this Pokemon evolves into Parasect (or when you catch it as a Parasect), you may sacrifice it to revive one Pokemon that died from a data rule. Must know a powder move if possible.

I decide I will use Vanlamir to catch it, as losing access to Butterfree until I beat Bugsy isn't a horrible loss (and I can always beat Bugsy before facing August). Unfortunately, Vharde's data rule only applies to the effects of other data rules, not lore rules, so I can't use that as a prediction of whether my mons will sleep tonight. Vanlamir uses Poison Powder to weaken it, and I start tossing balls... and realizing just how few Poke Balls I actually have. Should've really checked on that before going for my encounter, shouldn't I?

Thankfully I do catch him, and RNG dictates that Vanlamir does not fall asleep, so that's a plus. I get a Celtic Welsh name generator for this guy, and the name that stands out to me is Dai Maddy, which scores points for sounding great, being pronounceable, and actually fully fitting in the name slot. He's Brave, somewhat of a clown, and has Effect Spore as his ability. (Before venturing into Slowpoke Well, I make a point of purchasing ten Poke Balls, just in case.)

So Bela heads into the Slowpoke Well to find poor Kurt has hurt his back and 'can't move' (although his sprite does appear to be standing, so I don't know what to tell you). Being what Twitch Plays Pokemon would call a "B+RIGHT UP+START," Bela heads into the well to fight the mob in his stead. Stalky N basically obliterates everything in his path, proving what a good Pokemon Geodude is for Johto (and how pathetic the average Team Rocket grunt team is). Stalky N has Rock Smash for Rattata, Rock Throw for Zubat, and Magnitude for Ekans, but he does run into some trouble when a Zubat hits him with a Supersonic, so he needs to potion up before we face Proton.

...and immediately after the potion, a wild Slowpoke appears, meaning new encounter!

Lore rule:
Sazae-Oni
If you caught this pokemon in the water - Choose all pokemon in
your party that are from the opposite gender to Slowpoke/
Slowbro/Slowking and are not oblivious. For each of them either
sacrifice items worth 10,000 pokeyen / 1/6 of your money (the
higher of the options), or that pokemon is paralyzed and has to be
put into the box until you win the next two gym battles.
If you caught this pokemon on land - Randomize one pokemon
among the lowest levelled in your party and the pokemon in your
party that are afflicted by status condition - 50% that this pokemon dies.

Data rule:
Easy Target (Slowpoke only). If another Pokemon’s data rule would affect another party member, 50% chance that it affects Slowpoke instead (regardless of whether or not it would affect Slowpoke normally). This rule loses its effects when Slowpoke evolves (but all lasting effects from the data rules of other Pokemon remain).

This... is troublesome. Technically Slowpoke was encountered on land, rather than from a fishing encounter, so I'm going with that. My lowest leveled Pokemon is Vharde, and her data rule can't predict whether or not she'll die from a lore rule. Gror's lore rule has the potential to revive Vharde when and if Gror dies, and I don't really NEED that many Flying-types, but it would make An'zeh very sad. Still, the lure of a Water/Psychic type is high, and I do have too many Flying-types, so I decide to take the risk... and then learn that Slowpoke has Yawn and can make ANY member of my party vulnerable to the risk of death, meaning it's switch while catching time!

And caught! Slowpoke is female, and rolls up Dathomirian names, which are apparently something from Star Wars. I name her Shaj Jeve, another full name that fits neatly into the naming slot. She's Calm, somewhat vain, and has the Own Tempo ability. Unfortunately, Vharde does indeed die, which means I need to head all the way back out of the well and choose which Pokemon to replace her with.

...and then I remember that Gror is in the party and cancels the effects of lore rules of Water-type Pokemon as I catch them, meaning that Vharde is alive!

While I did have this whole eulogy written up for my brave little Spearow, it's all for naught, as my inability to keep track of everymon's rules almost cost me a team member. I'll have to be more careful about that in the future.

And now to face Proton. I'm not even going to bother with play-by-play commentary, because we all know how this ends. Stalky N goes up against a Zubat half his level, tanks a Leech Life, and obliterates it with Rock Throw. Next is Koffing, which is slightly different because it has Levitate to avoid Magnitude and is well-known for being physically defensive. On top of that, Stalky N misses his first Rock Throw. Thankfully Koffing doesn't poison Stalky, but the third Rock Throw just barely misses KOing the thing, and our Geodude bodyguard finishes the job with a Rock Smash for accuracy's sake.

Now that Proton is down, Kurt seems perfectly able to walk again, and congratulates Bela for doing his job for him. (What can I say, we're the protagonist, you never stood a chance.) Kurt takes Bela to his house, gives her a Fast Ball, and offers to make her some Poke Balls out of Apricorns. Since Bela has a whopping twelve Green Apricorns, she hands them over, with the implicit assumption that she is taking advantage of an old man's free labor.

Since we now have access to free Poke Balls, Bela decides to go Apricorn hunting and switch train her PC box fodder while she's at it. Shaya the Zubat, Patient the Rattata, Dai Maddy the Paras, and Shaj Jeve the Slowpoke now join the team alongside the original power couple An'zeh and Vharde, and we set off to harvest more Apricorns to support our local crafting economy. (It should be noted that it's still night out -- once day breaks, Shaya will be swapped out for the Togepi egg. But for the time being, when Shaya is in the party with Shaj Jeve, she's no longer the Easy Target she was before.)

And now, looking at An'zeh's movepool, I realize that I've neglected his lore rule in that he currently knows three attacking moves: Gust, Quick Attack, and Tackle. Thankfully, I still have Falkner's TM for Roost, so he learns that over Tackle and we're all in business again.

During our Apricorn run, Dai Maddy learns Stun Spore, a necessary move for our little mushroom bug (and also Poison Powder, but that's not as important). Stun Spore is both a powder move (as required by Dai's data rule) and a move with Spore in its name (as required by Dai's lore rule), so it's a twofer!

A new day dawns, and Shaya goes to sleep in the PC box while we grind the egg in hopes of hatching it. Surprisingly, it hatches immediately afterwards, giving us a bouncing baby boy! Togepi's name generator is for reptile names, which has three options: turtle names, scorpion names, and other names (yes, the generator acknowledges that scorpions are not actually reptiles). I randomly select 'other names' and... one of them is Zapdos. Why Zapdos? This is hilarious, but I decide on Lucky instead because for once it actually fits the Pokemon. Lucky is Lonely, has good endurance, and thankfully has the right ability in Serene Grace. As a reminder, here are his lore and data rules:

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing moves.
You are not allowed to open a trainer battle using this pokemon.

Data rule:
Chosen of the Lati.
While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules for Psychic and Dragon Pokemon in your party, and of Psychic and Dragon Pokemon that you catch. Must know a Psychic move if possible. When this Pokemon first enters your party (or when it evolves into Togetic if you obtain it as Togepi), choose a Pokemon of the opposite gender in your party that does not already have a Chosen of/Vessel of data rule. That Pokemon is now wedlocked to Togetic/Togekiss, and its data rule is replaced with Chosen of the Lati. If one Pokemon in the wedlocke pair dies but the other survives, the survivor chooses a new Pokemon of the opposite gender to be wedlocked to and to become a Chosen of the Lati.

Elm immediately calls Bela to say that it's exciting that she's hatched the egg, and Bela is like... how do you know. Are you spying on me? Well, time to head on over to Elm's lab to show him our new baby. When we do so, he states that there is no Pokemon like Lucky in Johto, which makes me curious as to where exactly Togepi comes from. Elm gives us an Everstone for our trouble, and while I'd love to give it to Vharde to prevent her from evolving before I have a Nugget to pay, Patient's data rule demands that she holds a hard item, so I guess she's going to stay a little purple rat for until she has something else to hold. Woof. These rulesets are really something else here.

Along my daily Apricorn collecting trek, I run across Frieda of Friday, who gives Bela a Poison Barb. That's... nice, but I currently don't have anymon who can really use it. While I might try to rationalize it as a 'hard item' for Patient, one, it doesn't really fit the theme, and two, I would not want my Rattata chewing on something that poisonous anyway. She doesn't even have Guts. Lucky also learns Metronome, which I don't know whether to classify as a damage dealing move or not because it calls a move randomly and thus may or may not deal damage on any given use. How do y'all think I should handle this one?

We reach Azalea Town, get Friend Balls from Kurt, drop off eleven Pink Apricorns, and then go right back to grinding because we can. Route 33 is a good place to grind because the wild Hoppip can literally do nothing to us, although Synthesis is slightly annoying (if ineffective during the constant rain; seriously, why is THIS where the Hoppip hang out?). But it's also not a good place to grind because it's constantly raining and the interface pauses every single battle round to remind us of this fact and we KNOW, you can stop telling us now.

I decide that since grinding is going to be, well, a grind, I might as well optimize my team to what'll be good against Bugsy. The power couple of An'zeh (Pidgey) and Vharde (Spearow) are staying, and Azjiz (Flaaffy) is going with them because Electric is SE on Scyther. Vanlamir (Butterfree) is rejoining the team because he's necessary to have Stalky N (Geodude) remain. The final member of the team will be Lucky (Togepi) in hopes of friendship grinding and eventually evolving into Togetic, upon which he'll be able to resist Bug-type moves because fairies don't exist this generation (and yes, I know saying that will kill a Fairy-type, but sadly that doesn't mean it's not true). Having Stalky N on the team also means I have access to Rock Smash, which means I might as well head all the way up to the Ruins of Alph and hopefully gain a nice hard item to give to Patient so that Vharde can have her Everstone.

After a bit of rock smashing, we finally get an Old Amber, which means we can give it to Patient to hold and give the Everstone to Vharde. Let's hope that the Aerodactyl inside that Old Amber doesn't mind being a little bit chewed on. We also obtain a Helix Fossil, which gives us options once we reach Pewter City (assuming I go for Kanto postgame, which I'll decide after facing the Elite Four and hopefully surviving the Champion).

The problem with grinding on rock smashing is that while the encounters do have a chance to be higher leveled than the ones everywhere else at this point, they're harder to actually encounter, and you can't predict how high leveled the Geodudes you get will be. This makes grinding take longer, even if you do get a bunch of shards along the way to trade for berries. (Also, for some entirely unknown reason, Bela finds herself drowning in Yellow Shards. I know Red Shards and Yellow Shards are more common in HeartGold and Green Shards and Blue Shards are more common in SoulSilver, which I think is pretty cool, but why this many Yellow Shards specifically? Not that I'm complaining about so many free Sitrus Berries.)

And I think I'll leave off here because my DS is low on battery and I've got other things to pay attention to. Next chapter, we hopefully finish grinding and take on Bugsy for the Hive Badge!

Hasty, sturdy body
Tangled Feet
Wedlocked to Vharde

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
using this pokemon.

Data rule:
Descendant of Archeops.
This Pokemon is considered Flying/Rock type for the purpose of data rules. Must know at least one Rock, Ground, or Steel type move if possible. While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Rock-type Pokemon in your party, and of Rock-type Pokemon you catch.. You may ignore the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party (including Genesect).
Modest, mischievous
Keen Eye
Wedlocked to An'zeh

Lore rule:
Griffin Ancestry
to Fearow.

Data rule:
If this Pokemon is in your party and a Pokemon’s data rule endangers any of your Pokemon, you may roll to see which Pokemon it would target before deciding whether to capture it or not (rather than before capturing it). Must know a sound-based move if possible and, if it is at the front of the party, open every trainer battle with it.
Quirky, somewhat vain
Compound Eyes

Lore rule:
A Living Soul
if possible
Warding Glyph
As long as Unown is in your party, ignore the effect of lore rules of pokemon, whose lore rule name includes the Unown letter (J), as you
catch them.

Data rule:
Vulnerable Shell
If this Pokemon is hit with a critical or super-effective hit, it dies. Loses effect when it evolves into Butterfree.
Calm, quick to flee
Static

Lore rule
pokemon you own. Mareep/Flaaffy can only be in your party if at least one of these pokemon is in it as well, and loses this effect when it evolves into Ampharos. When Mareep/Flaaffy dies or evolves into Ampharos (whatever happens first) you gain an item called “The Golden Fleece”. You can give this item to one of your other pokemon and it doesn’t take the held item slot, it can’t be moved to another pokemon or taken away even if that pokemon dies, and the pokemon holding it is considered Royal, is immune to the effects of negative lore rules related to money and items, and can sacrifice the Golden Fleece to prevent its death from a lorerule.

Data rule
Beacon of Hope. Must know at least one Electric-type or Fire-type move, or a move associated with light -- Signal Beam, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Cannot be in the same party as a Pokemon whose data rule only allows it to be used at night.
Impish, often dozes off
Rock Head

Lore rule:
The Golem of Prague

Data rule:
Lonely, good endurance
Serene Grace

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove

Data rule:
Chosen of the Lati.
While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules for Psychic and Dragon Pokemon in your party, and of Psychic and Dragon Pokemon that you catch. Must know a Psychic move if possible. When this Pokemon first enters your party (or when it evolves into Togetic if you obtain it as Togepi), choose a Pokemon of the opposite gender in your party that does not already have a Chosen of/Vessel of data rule. That Pokemon is now wedlocked to Togetic/Togekiss, and its data rule is replaced with Chosen of the Lati. If one Pokemon in the wedlocke pair dies but the other survives, the survivor chooses a new Pokemon of the opposite gender to be wedlocked to and to become a Chosen of the Lati.
Rash, highly persistent
Torrent

Lore rule:
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. Must know a Poison or Dragon type move if possible. Its main type is considered Dragon, and secondary types are Poison and Water for the purpose of lore rules. When Totodile/Croconaw/Feraliagtor dies, choose a Water type pokemon and a Flying type pokemon you have, or had and died due to a lore rule. You may revive each of these pokemon and reroll its lore rule, or just reroll its lore rule if it is alive. If the new lore rule is activated upon catching, it is then activated again.

Data rule:
You must have an Electric or Water type Pokemon in your party to use this Pokemon (unless it is the only Pokemon you own). While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Dragon-type Pokemon in your party and of Dragon-type Pokemon that you catch, as well as the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party or that you catch (including Genesect).
Naive, alert to sounds
Inner Focus

Lore rule:
Burned by the Light

Data rule:
Chosen of Lunala.
When this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon in your party and of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon as you catch them. If a Pokemon in your party can only be used at night, its data rule is negated when it is in the same party as this Pokemon. If a data rule would have you sacrifice a Moon Stone, you do not need to sacrifice it. Must know a Psychic move if possible. Must know a Ghost move if possible. Must hold a Moon Stone if possible.
Ghost move: Astonish
Quirky, strongly defiant
Run Away

Lore rule:
used anymore

Data rule:
Held item: Old Amber
Brave, somewhat of a clown
Effect Spore

Lore rule:
Spore Cloud Protection
Every pokemon used to catch this pokemon 50% enters a deep slumber/is paralyzed and can’t be used until you defeat the next gym leader (or enter Victory Road). Must know a move with the word “Spore” in it if possible and it’s the only move it can use if it’s health is in the red.
Target: Vanlamir (does not sleep)
Necessary move: Stun Spore

Data rule:
Tochukaso Medicine. At any point after this Pokemon evolves into Parasect (or when you catch it as a Parasect), you may sacrifice it to revive one Pokemon that died from a data rule. Must know a powder move if possible.
Calm, somewhat vain
Own Tempo

Lore rule:
Sazae-Oni
Negated by Gror, saving Vharde's life

Data rule:
Easy Target (Slowpoke only). If another Pokemon’s data rule would affect another party member, 50% chance that it affects Slowpoke instead (regardless of whether or not it would affect Slowpoke normally). This rule loses its effects when Slowpoke evolves (but all lasting effects from the data rules of other Pokemon remain).
Data rule affected by Shaya's and Lucky's data rules
Lonely, loves to eat
Levitate
Died by lore rule

Lore rule:
Warding Glyph
As long as Unown is in your party, ignore the effect of lore rules of pokemon, whose lore rule name includes the Unown letter, as you
catch them.

Data rule:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Love the way the lorelocke and datalocke rules find unexpected ways to interact even when they are "not supposed to". Also, well played with using Lurog both as your pied-piper fodder and a great rule for reincarnation!

For any lore question, summon me and I shall arrive! (in a day or two hopefully).
@Ryomu and @Trollkitten - Well, Ryomu is indeed correct, this text refers to all the types listed. I did add this sentence to make it clear that I don't expect it to have any in-game effects, and that is does affect lorerules that ask about pokemon's types. However, I of course didn't have in mind interactions with other such ruleset (though in retrospect perhaps I should have! As the lorelocke rules seem to be quite popular as a ruleset that is mixed with other ruleset, which is pretty cool I must say and I totally support of that). So in this specific case I leave it up to Trollkitten to decide as she is the one who decided to make a run that mixes both ruleset, so it's up to you to decide what sort of interactions you want between these two different ruleset, and all answers are ok. I can only answer how the lorelocke rules themselves work, and share my humble opinion about interactions.

About Metronome, hmm. I think I'd count it as a non-damaging move? As officially it is not (in damaging moves I meant either non-status moves or moves that inflict poison/burn). I mean technically it can deal damage... still, I think I'd count it as not (hi, if you are crazy enough to use it in a Nuzlocke you deserve it!).

Interesting, so the reason Fairy types weren't discovered before Gen 6 is because no one believed in them? 🤔

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
Interesting, so the reason Fairy types weren't discovered before Gen 6 is because no one believed in them? 🤔
No, I'm pretty sure the reference was to Peter Pan, in which it is stated that every time someone says that fairies don't exist one dies.
The play often encourages audience members to declare their belief in order to bring Tinkerbell back to life during a scene.

And thank you for your input. I imagine there was no reason to assume there would be spinoffs when making them, so in that one's case it was more accurate to read it as "Rules as Intended" over "Rules as Written". But at the end of the day it really is Trollkitten's prerogative on which interpretation to go with. It's just important to keep that interpretation consistent, hence my pointing out how Gror would not be affected by Water-specific data rules.
And I actually did not know that about Metronome, so that's something I should keep in mind for the future.

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
I'd class metronome as non-damaging, although it's likely to be fodder for replacement as soon as get a better option. The anime made it seem like an incredible move most of the time, but in-game, it's never that awesome. You don't pluck sacred fire against your rival's venusaur nearly as often as you end up using memento at full health for no reason.

It's hard not to feel sorry for Gror at this point. He's a champion in the making, but he spent a long time on the bench, returned briefly... and is now back in the box. Poor little guy. He'll have his time to shine. Eventually.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
VHARDE LIVES!!! C:

which is good, because i love him, your honor

(i know you have a lot of birds, but consider: normal types are the best)

hm, as per metronome? im leaning towards damaging? i know in theory there's a significant chance of non-damaging rolls, but the fact that you can roll damage feels like a very firm stamp in the "this is a damaging move"

congrats on getting things nicely set up!! and also kudos to your grinding session, that drove me hogbonkers dkjf

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Before continuing, it's time to address a question: whether Chosen of the Lati's effects apply to Gror, who is Dragon-type 'for the purpose of lore rules.' After much consideration, I have decided to apply the letter of the law in this case and state that Gror cannot have his data rule negated by Chosen of the Lati, because it's easier for my autistic mind to process it that way than to have to figure out a way to make it work.

So, as our grind continues, Lucky the Togepi learns Yawn over Growl, Stalky N learns Self-Destruct over Defense Curl (just in case I'm in a REALLY tough situation), and Bela collects enough Helix Fossils to raise up an army of Omayte to take back the seas for the cause of anarchy. Since a single Helix Fossil sells for 500 Pokeyen, and Vharde needs to sacrifice items costing 10,000 Pokeyen to evolve, all we need is twenty of the things and Bela can take that Everstone off of Vharde for good. Bugsy's Scyther (i.e. the only one of his Pokemon that is any threat whatsoever) is level 17, and Vharde won't evolve until level 20, so that's gonna be an awful lot of grinding.

It should be noted that during one point in grinding, I forgot about the wedlocke between An'zeh and Vharde. Now, I don't actually remember if this affected my gameplay or if I made any illegal switches, so I'm not going to penalize myself for something I don't even know if I did or not, but this is why I need to make sure I know all the rules of my team before each play session.

After my daily Apricorn collecting/Poke Ball crafting, I decide to train my birbs around Route 33, because pacifist Hoppip are free real estate. Vharde learns Aerial Ace over Peck, which is objectively better, and then Wade calls to say he's got berries to share with us, so we head on over to Route 31 to collect. We get an Oran Berry, which is fine, except that we already have literally 30 Sitrus Berries from overfarming of Yellow Shards, so that was a waste of a walk.

And along the way... Lucky evolves into Togetic! As in keeping with his data rule (Chosen of the Lati), he must be wedlocked to another Pokemon in the party of the opposite gender, whose data rule is then replaced with Chosen of the Lati. Currently the only eligible young lady is Azjiz the Flaaffy, which means these two are now a pair! That's going to make teambuilding a little bit more complicated (as if it wasn't already complicated enough) because Azjiz can only be on the team if Vharde or An'zeh are on it, and Vharde and An'zeh have to be on the same team together -- meaning that to have Azjiz and Lucky on the team, I have to have half the team be Normal/Flying types, which obviously presents a problem with the upcoming Whitney fight. An'zeh also evolves into Pidgeotto, and Vharde evolves into Fearow, meaning Bela discards 10 Helix Fossils and 10 Old Ambers in keeping with Vharde's lore rule. Also in keeping with Vharde's lore rule, An'zeh's Peacekeeping Dove lore rule is negated now that Vharde has fully evolved into Fearow.

So now it's finally time for Bugsy. I decide that my strategy will be to lead with Stalky N (Geodude), switch into Lucky (Togetic) or Azjiz (Flaaffy) if necessary as my first wedlocke partner, and if one or both of them dies, then, and only then, will I resort to An'zeh (Pidgeotto) and Vharde (Fearow), because Azjiz depends on An'zeh and/or Vharde being alive to be able to be in my party, and if they both die, I not only lose that wedlocke pair but I also lose Lucky and Azjiz, and that's no fun. Vanlamir (Butterfree) will be my sixth slot party members, but he's only around so Stalky N can be. He does know Gust and resist Bug-type moves, so I guess I might use him if I decide I'm not ready to switch into the Lucky/Azjiz pair yet.

So Bugsy claims that he never loses when it comes to Bug-type Pokemon. Let's see if he's correct.

Stalky N (Geodude) vs. Scyther
Sc U-turn -- switch to Metapod
St Rock Throw miss
St Rock Throw OHKO!
Stalky N vs. Scyther (again)
Sc U-turn -- switch to Kakuna
St Rock Throw OHKO!
Stalky N vs. Scyther (yet again)
Sc U-turn CRIT KO! Stalky N is dead!
Vanlamir (Butterfree) sent out
Sc Leer
V Sleep Powder
Sc sleep
V Gust
Sc sleep
V Gust -- Scyther eats Sitrus Berry, in its sleep, somehow
Sc wakes up, Focus Energy
V Gust KO!

So here's basically how it went. Scyther kept trollking Stalky N by using U-turn to get out of range of that devastating 4x Rock Throw. The first two attacks did sizable damage, but Stalky N was in range to survive a third U-turn, so I decided to keep him in.

...and then Scyther crit.

Realizing how powerful a foe Scyther was, Bela reached into her bag of tricks and pulled out the one mon we HADN'T been planning on using for this battle: Vanlamir, who had the ever-important move Sleep Powder. Despite Scyther Leer-ing him, Vanlamir got the sleep off, fired two Gusts (the second which got Scyther in range for the Sitrus Berry that it somehow ate in its sleep), and then by the time Scyther woke up and used Focus Energy to prepare to sweep, it was in range for the third Gust to kill it.

'Never lose,' my thorax.

But still, this win was not without its loss, and it is with a heavy heart that I declare Stalky N is dead, lv. 6-20, and he didn't even get to use Self-Destruct on an important boss and go out in a blaze of glory. It's a shame, really.

And on the way out, Wade gives us a call to say that he's found berries to share with us. Um, not the time, dude. We're in mourning. And it doesn't help that it's entirely possible that if we'd just equipped those berries we got from the shard trading guy onto our Pokemon before going into a gym battle, Stalky N might have still been alive...

Now to decide who replaces Geodude on the team. The easy answer would be Gror (Totodile), except that we don't replace Stalky N with Gror -- we replace Vanlamir, who gets boxed. The reasoning is simple: with no less than four Flying types on the team and the loss of our only Ground type, we have a major Electric weakness, and also a Rock weakness that Gror handles a LOT better than a Butterfree. So as counterintuitive as it might seem, it's time to bring Dai Maddy (Paras) back with us and grind him to heck and back. I guess it's a good time to go back to visit Wade after all!

We take the trek to Wade, and he gives us an Oran Berry. Not fantastic, but not bad either. We then start grinding Dai Maddy, who learns Leech Life (for all the good that does us in a pre-Alola world), and Gror, who evolves into Croconaw (which actually does do us a decent bit of good).

Well, next time we're gonna finish grinding Dai Maddy, take on August, and probably sneak up on some Farfetch'd the good ol' Hisuian way to progress the plot. Smell y'all later!

Gror, male Croconaw
Rash, highly persistent
Torrent

Lore rule:

Data rule:

---

An'zeh, male Pidgeotto
Hasty, sturdy body
Tangled Feet
Wedlocked to Vharde

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
using this pokemon.
Lore rule negated by Vharde's lorerule

Data rule:
Descendant of Archeops.

---

Vharde, female Fearow
Modest, mischievous
Keen Eye
Wedlocked to An'zeh

Lore rule:
Griffin Ancestry
to Fearow.

Data rule:

---

Vanlamir, male Butterfree
Quirky, somewhat vain
Compound Eyes

Lore rule:
A Living Soul
if possible
Warding Glyph
catch them.

Data rule:
Vulnerable Shell

---

Shaya, male Zubat
Naive, alert to sounds
Inner Focus

Lore rule:
Burned by the Light

Data rule:
Chosen of Lunala.
Ghost move: Astonish

---

Azjiz, female Flaaffy
Calm, quick to flee
Static
Wedlocked to Lucky

Lore rule

Original data rule overwritten
Beacon of Hope.
Must know at least one Electric-type or Fire-type move, or a move associated with light -- Signal Beam, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Cannot be in the same party as a Pokemon whose data rule only allows it to be used at night.

Replaced data rule
Chosen of the Lati.

---
Lurog, Unown J
Lonely, loves to eat
Levitate
Died by lore rule

Lore rule:
Warding Glyph
catch them.

Data rule:

---

Stalky N, male Geodude
Impish, often dozes off
Rock Head
Died in battle (Bugsy's Scyther)

Lore rule:
The Golem of Prague

Data rule:

---

Patient, female Rattata
Quirky, strongly defiant
Run Away

Lore rule:
used anymore

Data rule:
Held item: Old Amber

---

Dai Maddy, male Paras
Brave, somewhat of a clown
Effect Spore

Lore rule:
Spore Cloud Protection
Every pokemon used to catch this pokemon 50% enters a deep slumber/is paralyzed and can’t be used until you defeat the next gym leader (or enter Victory Road). Must know a move with the word “Spore” in it if possible and it’s the only move it can use if it’s health is in the red.
Target: Vanlamir (does not sleep)

Data rule:

---

Shaj Jeve, female Slowpoke
Calm, somewhat vain
Own Tempo

Lore rule:
Sazae-Oni
Negated by Gror, saving Vharde's life

Data rule:
Data rule affected by Shaya's and Lucky's data rules

---

Lucky, male Togetic
Lonely, good endurance
Serene Grace
Wedlocked to Azjiz

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove

Data rule:
Chosen of the Lati.
Chosen wedlocke partner: Azjiz

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Oh, Stalky N! You had a cool-sounding name, in a weird sort of way, and you deserved so much better than that. Poor guy, he's a hole you won't easily fill.

I'm pleased to see Dai Maddy getting a run out, though, paras doesn't normally get much of a chance.

You're doing well keeping on top of all of these rules - who has to be with who on the team, who can swap into who, who has to use which moves in battle... it makes my head hurt just reading it.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Damn, Stalky N could have been useful against Whitney, and he was taken by a Scyhter of all things. Rest in peace you poor brave Golem.

Still, overall, things seem pretty good and you are managing your rules rather well.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
aw, poor stalky n. that is a shame

the hisuian way lkdjf

congrats on your badge! you have a lot of wedlockes goin on rn and i wish you all the luck with that...could be difficult, given whitney is coming up

i have faith in you though

Users who are viewing this thread