• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Johto Written Log General The Atrocity (Chapters 8 ad 9 are up, in which a new poll starts and I make a horrible mistake)

Which starter should I choose?

• Total voters
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Two rulesets. One kitten. No soap. Radio.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
SLUGMAAAAAAAAA

fire types are hard to come by and also nobody really gets the chance to actually use one! you should definitely pick slugma

i feel like you should keep the metapod rule
it's good? like, it's interesting. i like the idea of it becoming effective upon encountering

causse butterfree are good pokemon, i think the metapod should have a risk that you need to look inside and see if you care enough to take it

i would, probably. i love butterfree

they're really good pokemon, esp for early game! and living soul is just so (chefs kiss)

Green Tea

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Considered bitter by many.
Mareep seems like the best choice in terms of being a practical option, but you already said that you wanted to make things challenging, so I advocate slugma too. Leave that totodile alone!

Ryomu

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
  • Sentret
People passed on Chikorita because its Data rule seemed the most hampering.
Sentret's Data rule has it able to cancel the negative effects of Chikorita's Data rule and Chikorita in turn could be its mount.
Clearly RNGeus is mocking you.
  • Pidgey the hippogriff? angel?
Clearly you should have named it after Mrs Whatsit.
  • egg vote
I'm voting for Mareep, if only to maximise the lore synergy of the party so far. An'zeh and Vharde can only be in the party if the other one is, Vanlamir needs someone to help him evolve, Mareep can only be in the party if An'zeh/Vharde or Vanlamir is in it, and Gror can only be in the party if Mareep is there.
It really feels like this group needs each other, seeing as none can be alone.

reshishigas

Subway Boss
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2022
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Bug
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon says and writes whatever is on their mind, even if they may cringe at it one year later.
Hmm,,, I also think I'm going with Mareep. Electric types are pretty valuable in Johto, they could be a good counter to many bosses (Falkner (duh), Bugsy's Scyther, Chuck, etc...) and may be the glue to stick the team together, regarding their rulesets.

Sparklepop

The Electric Dreamer
Writer
Godfather
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 30, 2020
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Filled with boundless creativity and a mane of stars, Cosmicore is only seen once in a blue moon, showing the world what it has to offer.
Mareep is the best option. Not only is it an Electric-type, it also has the best lore rule and can counter any Water or Flying-type that gets in your way. I also like Mareep the best, so there's that, as well.

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
I am also opting for Mareep. Mareep can keep Totodile in your party, is good against Falkner and Bugsy, is fairly tanky also lkkdsdhfks just a generally good 'mon xD

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
SLUGMAAAAAAAAA

fire types are hard to come by and also nobody really gets the chance to actually use one! you should definitely pick slugma

i feel like you should keep the metapod rule
it's good? like, it's interesting. i like the idea of it becoming effective upon encountering

causse butterfree are good pokemon, i think the metapod should have a risk that you need to look inside and see if you care enough to take it

i would, probably. i love butterfree

they're really good pokemon, esp for early game! and living soul is just so (chefs kiss)
I'll keep what you said in mind when I do the next Datalocke update. I'm not going to make it retroactively apply to Valanmir though, because that wouldn't exactly be playing fair (and also I want to keep my Butterfree).
Mareep seems like the best choice in terms of being a practical option, but you already said that you wanted to make things challenging, so I advocate slugma too. Leave that totodile alone!
I love Magcargo, but its typing and stats make it somewhat problematic to keep on the team. Still, maybe a Magcargo might surprise me like Masquerain did in that one Omega Ruby navlocke I did once...
  • Sentret
People passed on Chikorita because its Data rule seemed the most hampering.
Sentret's Data rule has it able to cancel the negative effects of Chikorita's Data rule and Chikorita in turn could be its mount.
Clearly RNGeus is mocking you.
  • Pidgey the hippogriff? angel?
Clearly you should have named it after Mrs Whatsit.
  • egg vote
I'm voting for Mareep, if only to maximise the lore synergy of the party so far. An'zeh and Vharde can only be in the party if the other one is, Vanlamir needs someone to help him evolve, Mareep can only be in the party if An'zeh/Vharde or Vanlamir is in it, and Gror can only be in the party if Mareep is there.
It really feels like this group needs each other, seeing as none can be alone.
I guess An'zeh's surname is Whatsit now. Canon.
Hmm,,, I also think I'm going with Mareep. Electric types are pretty valuable in Johto, they could be a good counter to many bosses (Falkner (duh), Bugsy's Scyther, Chuck, etc...) and may be the glue to stick the team together, regarding their rulesets.
Mareep is the best option. Not only is it an Electric-type, it also has the best lore rule and can counter any Water or Flying-type that gets in your way. I also like Mareep the best, so there's that, as well.
I am also opting for Mareep. Mareep can keep Totodile in your party, is good against Falkner and Bugsy, is fairly tanky also lkkdsdhfks just a generally good 'mon xD
So many Mareep votes! And zero Wooper votes. I wonder why...

While I waited for the votes to roll in on which Primo egg to take, I decided to do some switch grinding to try to level up Vanlamir into a Butterfree. Along the way, Vharde learned Fury Attack and An'zeh learned Gust, giving them more utility. Gust is particularly useful for grinding on wild Metapod because it's SE and the physical/special split means it's immune to Harden buffs.

The good news is that the grinding takes and Vanlamir becomes a beautiful Butterfree! Upon his evolution, he switches Shed Skin for Compound Eyes, which could be useful depending on what moves he learns (mainly powder moves). He also learns Confusion, one of the two necessary Psychic and/or Ghost moves in fitting with his lore rule.

Finally, the time came to tally up the votes. Wooper had no votes, Slugma had two votes, and Mareep had a whopping four votes, making Mareep the clear winner! With the codes STICKY HOLD UNAWARE and TALENT SHADOW TAG, Bela obtains the egg that will be our new teammate and Gror's other half!

...once it hatches, that is. Unfortunately, we can't name it or bring Gror back on the team until then. Boo hiss.

So. Now to take on Sprout Tower and see if we can somehow catch ourselves another teammate with the lone three Poke Balls we have!

Now, under daylight hours, we can only encounter Rattata in Sprout Tower. Nighttime, however, gives us an 85% chance to encounter a Gastly, so that's when we're gonna strike. And it pays off! ...or does it?

female Gastly

Lore rule:
Sogenbi
This pokemon was a monk that stole from the charity of its temple and was therefore
cursed to stay at this ghastly form. It can’t evolve into Haunter unless it repays its
debt to society by donating items worth 20,000 pokeyen to the city where its temple
resides (randomize among all cities that are pre-E4 in your region where this temple
is. You must go there to make the donation

Data rule:
Blowing in the Wind. Must switch out against Flying-type Pokemon, and if it cannot switch out, it dies at the end of battle. Cannot be in the same party as a Flying-type Pokemon or a Pokemon that knows a Flying-type move. Cannot learn any Flying-type moves. If this Pokemon holds a Hard Stone, Iron Ball, or likewise heavy object such a Nugget or Fossil, this data rule is negated.

Well, this is useless. I don't want to be saddled with something that can't evolve until I reach a certain point in the game, costs me a ton of money, can't be used against Falkner (or Bugsy's ace, for that matter), and can't even be on the same team as literally every non-egg Pokemon currently in my party. I can pick up fossils in the Ruins of Alph once I get Rock Smash and negate the data rule that way, but by that point, will it even be worth spending the few balls that I have a Gastly that can't evolve until who knows when? I decide against it, and Vharde kills it.

After that little incident, Wade calls Bela to tell her that he's found some berries and wants to share them with her. Sounds fine to me, if we can get past these wild Gastly that keep using Hypnosis. We do so, and we get a Lum Berry for our troubles, a good all-arounder which could save us in a spot of trouble. We decide to go around harvesting Apricorns while we're out, as we might as well do so while trying to hatch the Mareep egg.

Once our harvest is out of the way, Bela decides to beat up the monks' Bellsprout to earn more money to buy more Poke Balls to hopefully get a new encounter or two in the two currently open areas that she doesn't have any encounters in yet. On the first battle, I forget that Vharde has to start off every trainer battle with Growl, so I just have her use Growl on the second turn instead because it's all Bellsprout anyway.

As difficult as it is to get encounters at this point in the game, Sprout Tower is laughably easy for Bela and her three Flying types, and Valanmir learns Poison Powder, Stun Spore, and then Sleep Powder over Harden. We then encounter the Elder talking to August and August being basically the jerk rival that everyone seems to like for some reason and talking about how only Pokemon that win every time are worth his trouble. After shrugging off August's casual ableism, Bela enters battle with the Elder! It's not much to write home about -- our pair of married birbs takes them out easily -- but there's a transcript here if you'd like to read it.

Vharde (Spearow) vs. Bellsprout
V. Growl
B. Growth
V. Peck OHKO!
Vharde vs. Hoothoot
V. Fury Attack -- 2 hits
H. Hypnosis -- miss
V. Fury Attack -- five hits, one crit, KOs!
An'zeh (Pidgey) vs. Bellsprout
A. Gust OHKO!

As a prize for our victory, we are gifted with the Flash TM, but we won't be using it just yet. Instead, we rush to the Poke Mart to spend our winnings on ten Poke Balls, two Heal Balls, and one free Premier Ball because we can. Now that we have more Poke Balls, we enter Route 32 to get our next encounter, which is... a female Wooper, the ghost of the egg that no one voted for, returned to haunt us.

Lore rule:
Alp-Lauchra
This pokemon is a parasite who feeds off the food of its victim to survive.
When you catch Wooper/Quagsire choose a victim pokemon. If one of
them is in the party, the other one must be as well. The victim pokemon
can't stay in battle for more than 4 consecutive turns and if it stays for
more it dies in the end of battle. The victim pokemon can’t use healing
items unless Wooper/Quagsire is completely healthy and without status
conditions. If the victim pokemon dies you must choose a new victim
pokemon or Wooper/Quagsire dies as well.

Data rule:
Amphibious.
Must know Surf, Dive, Whirlpool, or Waterfall if possible. Cannot be at the front of the party while on land. Must hold a Fresh Water if possible.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Wooper. But given that I already have a Totodile (who will be usable once Mareep hatches), there's no reason to hinder my team with this little lady, so she goes down. Not without putting up a fight, but she still goes down.

Finally, we enter Dark Cave, where our encounter is a male Zubat.

Lore rule:
Burned by the Light
In a game with day/night cycle - Can only be used out#doors in the night.
In a game without day/night cycle - When used outdoors
it can only be used for 3 consecutive turns, then if not
switched out it is considered dead in the end of combat.

Data rule:
Chosen of Lunala.
When this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon in your party and of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon as you catch them. If a Pokemon in your party can only be used at night, its data rule is negated when it is in the same party as this Pokemon. If a data rule would have you sacrifice a Moon Stone, you do not need to sacrifice it. Must know a Psychic move if possible. Must know a Ghost move if possible. Must hold a Moon Stone if possible.

So this one actually isn't that bad. Chosen of Lunala is pretty cool, even though it can't negate its own lore rule (lore rules can only negate lore rules and data rules can only negate data rules). It does have a limitation in its lore rule, but there's enough caves in Johto that I'm pretty sure I can train it up anyway. The one downside is... it's level 2, and I've overleveled my mons to the point where I'm not sure if I can weaken it without killing it. Let's find out, shall we?

Amazingly, after only three balls, we catch him at full health! His random name generator is Quechua names, meaning he's South American. I go for Shaya Usucachi Mallqui, or Shaya for short because that's what fits. He's Naive, alert to sounds, and has Inner Focus as his ability.

And with that, we save the game for the night! Next chapter, we (probably) grind up Shaya in his natural habitat (Dark Cave), we (hopefully) hatch the Mareep egg and bring Gror back onto the team, and we (almost certainly) take on Falkner with our crew of exotically named Pokemon! Smell ya then!

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
You can get Rock Smash right after you bypass Sudowoodo, before you go north to Ecruteak City and Morty's Ghost-type team. Depending on where your temple ended up being, you could have had something that would batter his non-aces fast in order to keep the rest of the team fresh against the ace.

Shaya's data rule brings up an interesting question though.
Blowing in the Wind. Must switch out against Flying-type Pokemon, and if it cannot switch out, it dies at the end of battle. Cannot be in the same party as a Flying-type Pokemon or a Pokemon that knows a Flying-type move. Cannot learn any Flying-type moves. If this Pokemon holds a Hard Stone, Iron Ball, or likewise heavy object such a Nugget or Fossil, this data rule is negated.
Chosen of Lunala.
When this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon in your party and of Psychic-type and Ghost-type Pokemon as you catch them. If a Pokemon in your party can only be used at night, its data rule is negated when it is in the same party as this Pokemon. If a data rule would have you sacrifice a Moon Stone, you do not need to sacrifice it. Must know a Psychic move if possible. Must know a Ghost move if possible. Must hold a Moon Stone if possible.
Would you have been able to put Ghastly into your party this way, or would 'cannot be in the same party' block off entry of both in the first place before 'in your party' could occur? (i.e. Ghastly already in the party, Shaya prevented from joining and vice versa)
Would adding both to your party from the PC be counted as 'simultaneously' adding them, making them party members and thus nullifying the block before it could theoretically occur?

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
How literal are the rules on this zubat?

Burned by the Light

I read that as saying it can only be used outdoors, at night. Implying that it cannot be used indoors, at all. You've mentioned grinding it in a cave, and it makes complete sense to me that it would be usable in a cave, but I'm thinking of the "indoors" side as being a building, such as a gym, or the lighthouse, or the radio tower, and those seem like places that should be fairly well-lit. Maybe I'm reading this rule too strictly, and that certainly seems to be where you're taking it, because as great as crobat is, the idea of only using one to fight wilds and no-name trainers would put me off of training one.

That said, you've had bad luck with the rules on the other captures, so taking anything you can get does seem like an option.

Also, kudos to you for not running back and forth until the egg hatches. That's what I always do. I'm far too impatient to wait for it to hatch naturally. >_>

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
I think the second half of the rule helps to clarify it.
When used outdoors, it can only be used for 3 consecutive turns
Meaning that it can be used indoors as well, but that the rule only puts restrictions on outdoor combat. And if it is that way in games without the Day/Night cycle, why would it not also be so in ones with it?

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Would you have been able to put Ghastly into your party this way, or would 'cannot be in the same party' block off entry of both in the first place before 'in your party' could occur? (i.e. Ghastly already in the party, Shaya prevented from joining and vice versa)
Would adding both to your party from the PC be counted as 'simultaneously' adding them, making them party members and thus nullifying the block before it could theoretically occur?
That's a conundrum. If I had captured Gastly, then I would have given the data rules the benefit of the doubt and allowed it to happen, but I suppose it's open to interpretation.
How literal are the rules on this zubat?

Burned by the Light

I read that as saying it can only be used outdoors, at night. Implying that it cannot be used indoors, at all. You've mentioned grinding it in a cave, and it makes complete sense to me that it would be usable in a cave, but I'm thinking of the "indoors" side as being a building, such as a gym, or the lighthouse, or the radio tower, and those seem like places that should be fairly well-lit. Maybe I'm reading this rule too strictly, and that certainly seems to be where you're taking it, because as great as crobat is, the idea of only using one to fight wilds and no-name trainers would put me off of training one.

That said, you've had bad luck with the rules on the other captures, so taking anything you can get does seem like an option.

Also, kudos to you for not running back and forth until the egg hatches. That's what I always do. I'm far too impatient to wait for it to hatch naturally. >_>
Tagging @RubyClaw for an answer to this question. Personally, I see it as allowing Zubat to be used indoors.

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
Ooooooh the Zubat rules look interesting! It's a shame that you have to KO so many catches, but that may actually prove to be a good thing in HG/SS - fewer catches mean fewer hours spent grinding maybe kladhfks hopefully you do get some more useful catches soon though!

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
That's a conundrum. If I had captured Gastly, then I would have given the data rules the benefit of the doubt and allowed it to happen, but I suppose it's open to interpretation.
My sister in Arceus, you're the one that made the data rules. Your interpretation carries the most weight as being that of Rules As Intended.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
My sister in Arceus, you're the one that made the data rules. Your interpretation carries the most weight as being that of Rules As Intended.
I suppose that's fair.

OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So for this chapter we have three major goals. Grind the bat, hatch the sheep, and beat Falkner. Place your bets on which of these three goals we will actually accomplish by chapter's end!

So it occurs to me that since Shaya must hold a Moon Stone if possible, and Bela's mom can buy a Moon Stone for Bela with the money she 'saves,' then it's in the ruleset's best interests that I go back and allow Bela's mom to 'save' her money. Thankfully this can be done with a simple phone call rather than having to backtrack the entire way back.

It soon becomes obvious from the wild Geodude in Dark Cave that this is not a very good place to train a mono Flying team, so seeing as it's still daylight out there, my best bet is to head back into Sprout Tower and kill some rats. (While the wild Geodude don't seem to know any Rock-type moves, and Vanlamir can OHKO them with Confusion, I'd still rather train somewhere where I can actually see what I'm doing.)

Within Sprout Tower, Shaya learns Supersonic and Astonish, An'zeh learns Quick Attack, and Bela learns to keep an eye out on these wild Rattata that know Tail Whip and Quick Attack. Thankfully it's too early for them to know Pursuit, but once they reach that point, they'll be even more dangerous. A crit at the wrong time could spell death for whoever's out at the moment, which would feed Vanlamir's lore rule but also dock us one team member. With An'zeh also knowing Quick Attack now, the damage potential is reduced, but it's still somewhat harrowing to know we could be one roll of the dice away from trouble. It doesn't help knowing that Shaya's moveset is pretty terrible in the early game and that this bat is the sole reason why I'm training in Sprout Tower rather than anywhere else.

Finally, after a great deal of walking-slash-grinding, Mareep hatches from the egg! It's a lovely little lady Mareep, and her random name generator is for Naga names in World of Warcraft, so she's sort of a sheep-serpent hybrid thing? Chimera, maybe? I name her Azjiz because that's one of the most pronounceable names I'm given. She has a Calm nature, is quick to flee, and her ability is Static. As a reminder, here's her lore rule and data rule:

Lore rule
The Golden Fleece of Khrysomallos
When you catch this pokemon choose a male and a female non-starter
pokemon you own. Mareep/Flaaffy can only be in your party if at least
one of these pokemon is in it as well, and loses this effect when it evolves
into Ampharos. When Mareep/Flaaffy dies or evolves into Ampharos
(whatever happens first) you gain an item called “The Golden Fleece”.
You can give this item to one of your other pokemon and it doesn’t take the
held item slot, it can’t be moved to another pokemon or taken away even if
that pokemon dies, and the pokemon holding it is considered Royal, is immune to the effects
of negative lore rules related to money and items, and can sacrifice the Golden Fleece to
prevent its death from a lorerule.

Data rule
Beacon of Hope. Must know at least one Electric-type or Fire-type move, or a move associated with light -- Signal Beam, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Cannot be in the same party as a Pokemon whose data rule only allows it to be used at night.

I decide that Azjiz's two chosen Pokemon will be the already-wedlocked An'zeh and Vharde (makes things easier to remember), and quickly realize that I have to box my bat to keep her on the team. While this means I can't take advantage of Chosen of Lunala, it's otherwise not much of a loss, given that I get to replace Shaya with Gror, who is now able to join the party once more -- and at this point in the game, a Totodile is totes better (no pun intended) than a Zubat. So Shaya leaves the party, and Gror joins it.

So I set out to switch train on Route 32, and immediately run into the problem of wild level 6 Mareep. With Azjiz being the sole non-weak-to-Electric type on the team and being a mere level one, obviously Bela tries to run, but can't escape, and Azjiz gets hit with a Tackle, losing half her health. Thankfully this paralyzes the wild Mareep, which buys us time to escape, but Azjiz has only been out of her egg for five minutes and already her life is in danger. Classic Pokemon, scarring small children for life.

Which means it's back to Sprout Tower for us to grind in (relative) safety. Thankfully it occurs to me that since Azjiz has Static and half the Rattata I'll be fighting will have Guts, I should stick to switch training. Azjiz learns Growl and Thunder Shock, Vharde learns Pursuit over Leer, and I learn retroactively that I neglected to teach Azjiz Flash in keeping with her data rule that requires her to have a light-based move, and while Azjiz does know Thunder Shock at this point, she ought to have learned Flash to begin with, so I teach her Flash retroactively.

After a great deal of grinding, my golden beacon sheep is at level 12, which I decide is as good a level as any to take on Falkner's gym. My team going in is Azjiz the Mareep, Gror the Totodile, An'zeh the Pidgey, Vharde the Spearow, and Vanlamir the Butterfree. Vanlamir is the least likely to actually see action this episode, but since the run fails if I wipe, it's best to have as many members on the team as possible (alas, boxed Zubat).

So, let's go!

Falkner's gym is held on raised platforms, which is ridiculously non-OSHA compliant -- but in fairness, giving a ten-year-old a pet crocodile is hardly in the best interests of health and safety either. Azjiz easily takes out the gym trainers' birbs, and Bela reaches Falkner without incident. Falkner scoffs at the idea that Flying is weak to Electric, so it looks like our little golden chimera sheep has something to prove here. Let's see how it goes...

Azjiz (Mareep) vs. Pidgey
A. Thunder Shock OHKO!
Azjiz vs. Pidgeotto
P. Tackle
A. Thunder Shock crit OHKO!

After the battle, Azjiz wants to learn Thunder Wave, but since her ability is Static and Thunder Shock has a chance to paralyze of its own, it's not terribly useful, so we pass on that.

Thankfully, Falkner ends the battle agreeing to 'bow out gracefully,' by which he means eat humble pie. As Bela leaves the gym, she gets a call from Elm asking her to carry the Mystery Egg until it hatches. Which of course means only one thing -- a new encounter with new rules! So what does Togepi have to offer us...?

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing moves.
You are not allowed to open a trainer battle using this pokemon.

Data rule:
Chosen of the Lati.
While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the effects of data rules for Psychic and Dragon Pokemon in your party, and of Psychic and Dragon Pokemon that you catch. Must know a Psychic move if possible. When this Pokemon first enters your party (or when it evolves into Togetic if you obtain it as Togepi), choose a Pokemon of the opposite gender in your party that does not already have a Chosen of/Vessel of data rule. That Pokemon is now wedlocked to Togetic/Togekiss, and its data rule is replaced with Chosen of the Lati. If one Pokemon in the wedlocke pair dies but the other survives, the survivor chooses a new Pokemon of the opposite gender to be wedlocked to and to become a Chosen of the Lati.

Well, this is... something. I suppose it's a good adopted child for my pair of hippogriff birbs, but that data rule could be interesting depending on how my party shapes up to be and when Togepi evolves. Assuming Togepi even lasts that long -- I've already got two Normal/Flying types on my team, and I'm not convinced I'll be able to resist the siren song of the ever-risky Metronome and avoid Togepi exploding. I guess whether or not I keep Togepi on my team will largely depend on how the run shapes up after it hatches (please Serene Grace please Serene Grace).

And that's gym one done! Next episode, we head south (literally and hopefully not figuratively) to try to reach Azalea Town and take on the next gym, because certainly absolutely nothing is going to derail Bela's plans and she's not going to fight the mob over inhumanely sourced meat products. Right? Riiiiiiiight?

News at eleven.

Rash, highly persistent
Torrent

Lore rule:
The Tanninim of Tiamat (Chosen of Tiamat)
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. Must know a Poison or Dragon type move if possible. Its main type is considered Dragon, and secondary types are Poison and Water for the purpose of lore rules. When Totodile/Croconaw/Feraliagtor dies, choose a Water type pokemon and a Flying type pokemon you have, or had and died due to a lore rule. You may revive each of these pokemon and reroll its lore rule, or just reroll its lore rule if it is alive. If the new lore rule is activated upon catching, it is then activated again.

Data rule:
Descendant of the Drake Fossil.
You must have an Electric or Water type Pokemon in your party to use this Pokemon (unless it is the only Pokemon you own). While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Dragon-type Pokemon in your party and of Dragon-type Pokemon that you catch, as well as the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party or that you catch (including Genesect).
Hasty, sturdy body
Tangled Feet
Wedlocked to Vharde

Lore rule:
Peacekeeping Dove
This pokemon can’t have more than 2 damage dealing
moves. You are not allowed to open a trainer battle
using this pokemon.

Data rule:
Descendant of Archeops.
This Pokemon is considered Flying/Rock type for the purpose of data rules. Must know at least one Rock, Ground, or Steel type move if possible. While this Pokemon is in your party, you may ignore the data rules of Rock-type Pokemon in your party, and of Rock-type Pokemon you catch.. You may ignore the data rules of any fossil Pokemon in your party (including Genesect).
Necessary move: Sand Attack
Modest, mischievous
Keen Eye
Wedlocked to An'zeh

Lore rule:
Griffin Ancestry
When you catch this pokemon Wedlocke it with
another pokemon of your choice (both pokemon
must stay at your party at the same time, and if one
of the pokemon dies the Wedlocke ends at the end
of battle). It mates for life, and can’t be Wedlocked
ever again. Whenever this pokemon evolves you
must throw away items worth 10,000 pokeyen or a
Nugget - if you can’t pay, box it immediately and its
Wedlocked partner until you choose to pay. As a
Fearow, you may also cancel the negative effects
of the lore rule of the pokemon that is Wedlocked
to Fearow.

Data rule:
Sound the Alarm (High Alert).
If this Pokemon is in your party and a Pokemon’s data rule endangers any of your Pokemon, you may roll to see which Pokemon it would target before deciding whether to capture it or not (rather than before capturing it). Must know a sound-based move if possible and, if it is at the front of the party, open every trainer battle with it.
Necessary move: Growl
Quirky, somewhat vain
Compound Eyes

Lore rule:
A Living Soul
Only comes into effect as a Butterfree and when you have
your first dead pokemon. Randomize a pokemon you had
who died. This pokemon is the reincarnation of its soul and
it gains its lore rule (choose only a pokemon with a rule that
can make sense mechanically for this Butterfree). In addition
to that, it must have at least two Psychic/Ghost type moves
if possible
Necessary moves: Confusion

Data rule:
Vulnerable Shell
If this Pokemon is hit with a critical or super-effective hit, it dies. Loses effect when it evolves into Butterfree.
Calm, quick to flee
Static

Lore rule
The Golden Fleece of Khrysomallos
When you catch this pokemon choose a male and a female non-starter
pokemon you own. Mareep/Flaaffy can only be in your party if at least one of these pokemon is in it as well, and loses this effect when it evolves into Ampharos. When Mareep/Flaaffy dies or evolves into Ampharos (whatever happens first) you gain an item called “The Golden Fleece”. You can give this item to one of your other pokemon and it doesn’t take the held item slot, it can’t be moved to another pokemon or taken away even if that pokemon dies, and the pokemon holding it is considered Royal, is immune to the effects of negative lore rules related to money and items, and can sacrifice the Golden Fleece to prevent its death from a lorerule.
Male Pokemon: An'zeh
Female Pokemon: Vharde

Data rule
Beacon of Hope. Must know at least one Electric-type or Fire-type move, or a move associated with light -- Signal Beam, Dazzling Gleam, etc. Cannot be in the same party as a Pokemon whose data rule only allows it to be used at night.
Naive, alert to sounds
Inner Focus

Lore rule:
Burned by the Light

Data rule:
Chosen of Lunala.

Ryomu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2021
>"Flying isn't weak to Electric!"
>both Pokemon OHKO'd to Electric moves
Pottery.

Also, your Mom only has a chance from a list of items to purchase you a Moon Stone, and only triggering at every 10,000 saved. My advice would be to augment those savings by returning home and depositing whatever money you still had on you until just before 10K. At that point, go fight a trainer to tip it over 10K, and hope it's a Moon Stone that gets chosen.
If you manage to get to Goldenrod before getting the Stone, you'll have to go to the Pokeathlon and grind yourself up 3000 points and purchase it from the Athlete Shop on Monday.

Quick question about Chosen of Lati. If there is no non-Chosen/Vessel and/or of opposite gender to Togetic, what happens?
Also, what happens if the only one to fit the bill was already wedlocked?

Last edited:
OP
Trollkitten

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Quick question about Chosen of Lati. If there is no non-Chosen/Vessel and/or of opposite gender to Togetic, what happens?
Also, what happens if the only one to fit the bill was already wedlocked?
I would say that in both cases, the wedlocke occurs whenever an eligible Pokemon becomes available to do so with.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
And... caught up! As I said before, really interesting see you deal with both rulesets and their cumulative effects. Lots of pokemon not wanting to be with each other on the party it seems 😄

About the Zubat question @Green Tea @Ryomu @Trollkitten - indeed the rules mean that you are allowed to use Zubat indoors whenever you want, and outdoors only in the night, so it isn't that bad. I wonder, do you guys I think I should word it differently to make it clearer, and if so how? Also about the flavor, vampires usually are able to survive weaker sources of light and are only sensitive to direct daylight on most relevant myths, that's why I chose this version.

(Also a note about that Wooper, you do have Chosen of Tiamat so it would have been less terrible, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it).

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
And... caught up! As I said before, really interesting see you deal with both rulesets and their cumulative effects. Lots of pokemon not wanting to be with each other on the party it seems 😄

About the Zubat question @Green Tea @Ryomu @Trollkitten - indeed the rules mean that you are allowed to use Zubat indoors whenever you want, and outdoors only in the night, so it isn't that bad. I wonder, do you guys I think I should word it differently to make it clearer, and if so how? Also about the flavor, vampires usually are able to survive weaker sources of light and are only sensitive to direct daylight on most relevant myths, that's why I chose this version.

(Also a note about that Wooper, you do have Chosen of Tiamat so it would have been less terrible, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to use it).

Thanks for qualifying it! I assumed that was the intent, but the wording left it open to ambiguity.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to word it as follows:

Burned by the Light
In a game with a day/night cycle - Cannot be used outdoors during daylight or bright sunlight. If the conditions change during battle, it must be switched out immediately or it is considered dead at the end of combat.
In a game without day/night cycle - When used outdoors, it can only be used for 3 consecutive turns, then if not switched out it is considered dead at the end of combat.

I, uh, added the note about bright sunlight, because even though it's night, you could still use sunny day and surely that's just as bad? Apologies if I'm treading on any toes with that, though.

Green Tea

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2022
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Welcome to the team, Azjiz, I hope you go far. I'm a big fan of the mareep line, and in Johto it's a real crutch Pokémon.

With so many /flying types, you shouldn't break a sweat over Bugsy. Even better if you can nab a rock-type from the Dark Cave on your way.

Users who are viewing this thread