• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Galar Mature Mon The Adventures of Mum! A Pokemon Shield Hardcore(ish) Nuzlocke!

Thread Description
Gloria and Hop never came back from the Slumbering Weald that day. With no way to contact Leon, it's up to Mum to run the gauntlet and save her little girl! (Comic w/ no set update schedule)

Ookum Spookums

Scribbler of Doodlez
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2021
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Prone to fits of doubt and anxious fidgeting, the Spookum is often found hiding in small bodies of water or around corners.
BIT OF AN UPDATE:
The comic (and forum thread) has gotten bigger than I expected it to, so I'll be simultaneously posting new pages on this initial post as well as in the normal spot. Y'know, like seemingly everyone else does. :D
Logo_Smaller.png

Hello, Nuzlockers, fans, and whoever else is around! ♥ Before I jump into committing to this comic, I wanted to ask a question. I searched through the comics myself, but I am not perfect and kind of have a short attention span. So, here it is:

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS YET?

The last thing I wanna do is yoink an idea someone else has already done, so all I'm posting for the time being is a concept doodle, a banner, and the premise itself.

The Premise is Simple:

Hop and Gloria (Since this is a Shield Run) wandered into the Slumbering Weald after that runaway Wooloo...

...but the kids never came back.

With no one able to contact Leon, it's up to Mum to take on the challenge of becoming a trainer, whether to knock some sense in the brooding Champion, or find a way to save her child on her own.

(And a little concept drawing...)
concept_smaller.png

So, while I wait and see if I'm good and clear to get this show on the road, I'll go ahead and work on the first page (if not for the forum, then at least for me).

Should everything be kosher, I'll go ahead and post the Rules. This is a Hardcore...-ish run? So it's a smidge harder than a normal Nuzlocke.

• If a pokemon faints for any reason, it is considered DEAD and cannot be used (either released or boxed in the Graveyard)​
  • You can only catch the first pokemon you encounter per zone. A "Zone" is any time the name of the area changes, since instances are not a constant factor.​
  • Dupes Clause/Species Clause: If you already have the same pokemon or the pokemon is part of the same evolutionary chain, you may skip the encounter and try again. This is not mandatory if you desire duplicate pokemon.​
  • If a zone has random encounters, you MUST prioritize them. If a zone does NOT have random encounters, you must instead choose the first wandering pokemon in range that you can get an encounter with (pokemon that run away and vanish pre-encounter do not count against you).​
  • Exception: If a pokemon is unable to be caught (High Level or Scripted Encounter), it does not count against you for that zone.​
  • Exception: Gift Pokemon (Eevee, Togepi Egg, Toxel, etc.) and Static/Forced Encounters do not count against you, and may be caught if possible. Duplicates of the same Static Encounter may not be caught.​
  • Legendaries may be caught (I guess), but they are forbidden to be added to your team.​
These are all fairly standard Nuzlocke rules. Now for the harder stuff:
  • Battle Mode in the game is changed to 'Set' and cannot be changed, meaning no free switches between opponent's pokemon.​
  • You may not use ANY items while in battle, unless held by the pokemon. No potions, no Boosters, no Pokedolls. Using items outside battle is allowed, but revives are still off the table. Obviously this does not apply to pokeballs, else this would be a very short game.​
  • Exception: "Tit for Tat" If an opponent uses an item in battle, you may use an item of equal or lesser strength. (Still no revives)​
  • You may NOT level your team more than the next Gym Leader's Ace pokemon. If a pokemon exceeds this level, you MUST box it until after you defeat the gym leader.​
  • Clarification: Once the gym challenge begins and the pokemon Box is locked, the level restriction is lifted until after you defeat the Gym Leader.​

So yeah! "-ish." Lots and lots of "-ish." I'm not the best pokemon-er ever, and would like to at least not die before the second gym. :p

Let me know if I forgot anything, and I'll get it added in a jiff. Until then, IT'S TIME TO DOODLE!

Prologue_Part_1.png
Prologue_Part_2.png
Prologue_Part_3.png
Badge_0-1_smoler.png
Badge_0-2_smol.png
Badge_0-3_smol.png
Badge_0-4.png
Badge_0-5.png
Badge_0-6.png
Badge_0-7.png
Badge_0-8.png
Badge_0-9.png
Badge_0-10.png
Badge_0-11.png
Badge_0-12.png

Badge_0-13.png

Badge_0-14.png

Badge_0-15_Final.png
Ch_2_-1.png

Ch_2_-2.png

Last edited:

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Ooh, an interesting premise! I can't say I recall seeing a run with this concept, personally - It's definitely caught my eye :0

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
The premise is really cool! Hoping to see how this plays out

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Oh snap no I’ve never seen anything like this, let alone for SwSh. Bro I’m hooked. Concerned for Hop and Gloria of course (and intrigued by why Leon’s out of commission too), and it’s so cool to see the canon design for Mum get some action! Wondering how the Gym Challenge can factor into a concept like this, and how a SwSh would even play out without a Hop presence to speak of. Ahhh so many questions! Excited to see where this goes, and good luck with all those rules!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
👀

I think I know why Leon can't be contacted. The poor guy must be devastated by the loss of Hop. 😭

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
This premise is, as far as I can tell, unique! Also refreshing to see a protagonist who isn't a kid or older teen, but much older. Almost all nuzlocke characters I've seen are, at the oldest, around 19.

Yuna

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
This is such a cool premise! Really looking forward to the first page!

Ookum Spookums

Scribbler of Doodlez
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2021
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Prone to fits of doubt and anxious fidgeting, the Spookum is often found hiding in small bodies of water or around corners.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good enough for me! ♥ So much support, wow... color me excited! Let's see if I have any idea how formatting works...

Prologue_Part_1.png

Prologue_Part_2.png

Prologue_Part_3.png

TADAAAA!!!!
mum_lol_1.png
"My artist can't draw backgrounds for shit..."

So yeah, I am a character artist... I really suck at scenery. Non-Climatic scenes are going to be a lot simpler than this. Still, doesn't everyone show off a little for their opener? (Pssh, yeah right.)

Hope you guys like it, and now to actually PLAY the nuzlocke so I can figure out what happens in the Badge 0 Section!

Last edited:

Giogeth

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 14, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Giogeth is a large draconic looking pokemon who has nebula's swirling within their wings and star like patterns. They will often be friendly.
those backgrounds are better than what i can do. XD anyway this is a really intresting concept and excited to see where it goes

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Backgrounds are incredibly hard to draw so nobody's going to blame you, don't worry!

Looking forward to seeing which starter the mom will pick! I'm a Scorbunny stan but all 3 evolution lines are pretty neat.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I think I saw another Nuzlocke comic on the forums awhile ago that had a similar idea where the player plays a mom (I'm not even sure if it was the classical protagonist'a mother or just a random mother who happens to be a trainer) but as far as I remember they didn't get very far in the comic and it wasn't in Galar, so yeah I'd say you independently came up with this idea, gave it your very own twist, and it's a super cool and unique theme (great seeing protagonists who aren't 10-18 years old). So you don't have anything to worry about.

Looks great, will be following! (I love how you drew Mum. Wait, does she have a name? Did I miss that?).

Ookum Spookums

Scribbler of Doodlez
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2021
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just a foreword: I have no idea what I'm doing. It'll probably be a while before the comics start to look cohesive as I adapt the layout to something I like. Also, WOW, this takes a lot of time and effort. definitely going to go for a slightly smaller comic page for next week's entry (and yes I'm going to try and aim for one post a week or so, we'll see).

Badge_0-1_smoler.png

unknown.png
"And so begins our descent into madness."

Also, a great big THANK YOU to the praise and support I've received already. You guys are great. ♥

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
This mom is too cute for her own good!!

I did notice the little Sobble in the corner of the previous page but I wasn't sure if that was foreshadowing for her starter choice or not butー Guess it was! :p I do think Sobble fits her very well aesthetically, so it's a solid pick! I distinctively recall Galar being the region where I struggled to pick a Water type for my team because I knew I wanted Scorbunny as my starter but almost none of the new Water types appealed to me. :/

The first gym might be a little tricky, but hopefully you can pick up something to help cover your Grass weakness by then!

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Loving it so far!

Waweezer

Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
Very interesting!I don't think I've seen anyone ever do something like this, I'm also very interested of what you'll do to Leon...

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Ohhh so it's already been a second. Yeah that explains Leon, for some reason I expected him to have already been away before it happened or something. Anyway!

Totally feel you on the whole backgrounds thing, but yours are just fine! That whole first page was soo good, the tone was done perfectly, and I love the little textboxes lifted right from the game ^^ So Mum's plan is just to fight her way to Leon and enlist his help to save the kids, all the while convincing herself that they're not gone forever? Just, to make sure I have that right.

Also wow Mum and Sobble are so cute! This whole artstyle is such a joy already - the effects when Sobble is scared, the monochrome panel when Mum throws the ball... good stuff. Poor Puddin though; first losing his trainer, and having to be saved, then tagging along with a human and Skwovet that terrify him... I'm rootin for you lil guy!

And hey can I take a second to appreciate how you draw hands because bro that's a talent... teach me your ways

Ookum Spookums

Scribbler of Doodlez
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2021
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
And hey can I take a second to appreciate how you draw hands because bro that's a talent... teach me your ways

I literally have no clue how I do things anymore. I've tried a berjillion different methods over the years, though this video on Jazza's Youtube totally changed, simplified, and improved my storyboarding methods. Seriously, drawing blobby silhouette is WAY easier than drawing bubbly stick figures.

I think my entire hodgepodge style has just become, "Stop trying to be perfect. Aim for good enough." 'Cuz honestly, if I really pushed every frame to be top dollar every time, it would take me MONTHS to finish a page, rather than a week or so.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
To confirm what @RubyClaw said, there was a Kalos run called PokeMom, but it vanished into the aether...😞

So I’m super-glad to see this! Can’t wait for the next installment!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I like how expressive you made the pokemon. Despite not having done much, you've already given them a lot of personality. Puddin must be terrified of letting Mum down, as I guess that Puddin might have been Hop or Gloria's starter who failed to protect them. I like how Mum catches Tooks. At first she looks so nervous and confused about it, then celebrates something extremely minor in a way that feels very fitting for a mum. Leon looks devastated by the disappearance of Hop, and won't forgive himself for it. I wonder how this has affected his public champion battles, or if he can even find the energy to battle at times. The closest I've ever seen to this is someone jokingly suggesting a comic/story told from the Mom of protagonist of Black's point of view while they're out on their journey, so don't worry about this being unoriginal.

Ookum Spookums

Scribbler of Doodlez
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 29, 2021
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
As I continue to experiment with comic size, enjoy while I try to see just what size a workload I can handle. I do like this flowing format a bit better than the huge, uniform block of frames, but that does mean fewer frames per post, since larger frames sometimes require more attention. Who knows, maybe I'll get the hang of this someday and find my center of mass. Until then, next page!

Badge_0-2_smol.png

NGL, I thought this scene would take, like... four frames, but to no one's surprise, I was wrong. Thankfully, it won't take four PAGES, and the adventure will press on sometime soon.

On to the next one! The train keeps on a-rollin'.

Users who are viewing this thread