• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Video Games That One Boss

Thread Description
There's always that one boss

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity

Remember the Most insane bosses thread back on the old forum. That was awesome so let's bring it back. The idea is simple this is a place to discuss bosses that give you trouble and why.

I'll start us off with Adachi from Persona 4. Persona 4 has plenty of bosses that could make this list whether it be Shadow Yukiko or Shadow Mishio to arguable Shadow Naoto. Actually yeah Shadow Naoto is a candidate with her ability to silence and drain SP at the same time. There are plenty of others who could qualify but for now I'll be talking about Adachi. At first glance he doesn't seem to hard with Vorpal blade dealing a large amount of physical damage and Zio/Garudyne to hit hard with Lightning and wind damage respectively. Then you realize he has Heat Riser. A move that boosts all his stats and Dekunda which negates any debuffs you can put on him and more then one way to preform instant kills. The first is with Mudoon which is a dark attack with a 50% chance to instantly kill the target. On the bright side if you have a Persona with a resistance to dark attacks like Izanagi the main character is safe. Which is a good thing because if the main character dies at any point it's game over. But that won't do jack against the combination of Evil Smile and Ghastly Wail! Evil Smile is a move that has the chance to inflict fear on all party members. Fear in itself is a big problem as it has a chance to completely immobilize anyone afflicted with it (I hope it didn't happen to immobilize your healer). Then add on Ghastly Wail. A move that instantly kills anyone suffering from fear and completely bypasses resistances. the only way to stop this is if you have a Homunculus but those a very rare in 4 and will only stop one instant kill attack. So the fight quickly becomes a race to kill Adachi before he can pull off a Ghastly Wail on the protagonist. At least he doesn't have that much health. BUT IT GETS WORSE! Right after you defeat Adachi you have to fight Ameno-Sagiri who has much much more health hits harder and can move twice and it slowly dawns on you as to why Adachi doesn't have more health. EVEN BETTER! You don't get healed after the fight with Adachi. Meaning not only do you have to beat him before he instantly kills you now you have to do it using as little SP as possible. ♪HAVE FUN♪. He may not be that difficult to beat but he sure is a pain in the ass.

Sad thing is. He's not even in my top 10 hardest bosses. not even close.

Bluebirdi3

Patron Librarian of the Floor of Rhythm
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her or they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Dalloc liker and catboy enthusiast, this pokemon will still fight you over their favorite characters
does it count if it's not a boss?

no?

well i'm doing it anyway.

fucking Into The Zone from Just Shapes and Beats. this level gave me so much trouble and i don't know why. i was expecting to have more trouble with Cool Friends but this was post-patch so i didn't have that much trouble.
but Into The Zone?
i got 4 fucking IT'S OVERs on that level.
why me.

also if this doesn't count there's Close to Me which also kicked my ass with only half of the IT'S OVERs from Into The Zone
i got hit 36 times during the course of the boss

AND HARDCORE MODE MAKES BOTH OF THESE WORSE

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
Mine's a bit of a weird one.

In the story mode of Mario Party DS, after winning each board you have to beat a boss in a special minigame. One of these bosses, the Piranha Plant, really grinds my gears.

It's pretty simple at first glance. Just tap A repeatedly to float upwards, and then press B to catch or release the bomb seeds he spits up at you. Let him inhale three bomb seeds and you win. Simple, right? Wrong.

The problem is, after the first hit, his inhalation become very strong, and you have to mash the hell out of A to avoid getting sucked up yourself. And after this, you have to float back up and actually catch a seed, otherwise it's time for more button mashing! Catching a seed also requires you to hit B, not just approach it. If you do the latter, it explodes on you, making you take a hit and forcing you to ensure you don't fail the button-mashing part.

So the speed of the button-mashing required for this game, on top of the extra little bit that can trip you up and force you right back into the button-mashing, makes this boss quite difficult.

Oh, and did I mention that this is the first boss? Thankfully, the rest of them are far easier than this one.

Argentum

My avatar is in fact a dude.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
A passionate bunch, Argentums are limited by their own minds. Who knows what happens when they break through their mental barriers?
Thunderblight Ganon from Breath of the Wild. Seriously, if this is the first blight you faced, this sucks for you. You have to dodge his instant round movement attacks (especially if they’re electric, then you drop your weapons), wear down his shield, avoid these electric balls he shoots at you from the air, and using your magnetic rune, and when he summons metal pillars place one next to him using the magnetic tune while he zaps all of them. Then he gets FASTER. I hope you got some hearts, good reflexes, electric resistant/immune clothing or food, and a lot of time. Honestly, he was the worse of the Blights and when I first played it, I had to reset at least 30 times.

I refuse to play Master Mode because I’ll have to fight Thunderblight Ganon if I want to complete the story (which I always want to do).

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's another one. Clone Zero from King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited match. Fighting games are notorious for having extremely hard bosses and here's a perfect example of one. I swear the majority of his moveset are reversals. try to jump in on him he'll just do a fancy flip to slice you with his cape. want to punch him he'll just fling his cape and break your guard. That not enough he can kneel down then if you use a standing attack he stuns you before effortlessly knocking you aside. But that's not what's going to drive you insane. You see that would be this move where he sends a shadow out on the floor. If it catches you he teleport to you does a short combo before kicking you across the screen. That may not sound to bad. But is comes out absurdly fast has a more then preferred range and I swear it's unblockable. that's right he can just throw this out whenever he feels like and oh right he's completely invincible during this move. I should probably mention that he has a fullscreen super that does a ton of damage. I think I can leave it at that.

Drunken Gazelle

Lord Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Ground
Pokédex Entry
His default setting is sarcasm. It is not (always) intentional.
Papu Papu from Crash team racing nitro fueled. First boss i beat in two attempts (hardest difficulty). third boss I got on the first go. fourth boss took several attempts as did the final boss. Papu Papu, Boss number TWO took several HOURS across 3 days! He was unstoppable! I thought I had him at one point but he caught me right at the finish line and we finished with the exact same time down to the millisecond. AND IT GAVE HIM THE WIN! All I can say is master the corners and the shortcuts, definitely use a racer you know you're decent with, and hope the weapon crate RNG gives you some good offensive items.

So yeah. Dunno what it was about his race, but it was really bloody difficult.

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
Ness's Nightmare from EarthBound.

This fight is largely considered to be the hardest fight in the game, thanks to its insanely powerful PSI attacks and its ability to emit a glorious light that can instakill you. Specifically, it has access to PSI Rockin Omega, which almost certainly will do enough damage to KO you from full, although the scrolling HP meter mitigates this. Its most dangerous attack is the glorious light, which is equivalent to PSI Flash Omega, which has a good chance (I believe it's 40%) of instakilling you, bypassing the scrolling HP bar. In addition, this thing has a psychic powershield, which reflects PSI attacks back at you, but eventually replaces it with a physical powershield instead, which deals the physical damage it takes back at you. Compounding all of this is the fact that Ness has to face this jerk alone. While Ness is incredibly capable on his own, he still sorely misses the firepower the other party members provide.

I do have a few tips for this fight, though. The first and biggest one is to make sure that, before approaching the final Sanctuary, Ness has the Night Pendant or Sea Pendant equipped. This will render him immune to the glorious light. My next tip is a small one, simply to make sure you know which shield it has up. And then, a significant one that makes the fight much more manageable: utilize the scrolling HP bar. If Ness is around full HP when Rockin Omega hits him, you'll have a few turns before the HP bar reaches zero, which gives you a couple turns to keep attacking before you actually have to heal. This in particular can help you conserve PP and avoid getting stuck in a healing loop in this fight.

Another note: make sure Ness isn't level 99 when you engage the boss. He gets a huge power boost once Ness's Nightmare is defeated, but you won't get the biggest effect, a huge boost to max PP, if you can't level up anymore.

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
Ness's Nightmare from EarthBound.

This boss is awful. I took two extended breaks during my first playthrough of EarthBound. The first was in the Starman Base, when I got sick of grinding for the Sword of Kings (I eventually gave up on it). The second was THIS BOSS. Another notable thing about it: assuming you aren't using save states, if you lose to it, you have to trek back through ALL OF MAGICANT to reach it again. This includes a narrow maze full of obnoxious enemies that you can't run away from easily, and a section where you are forced to walk really slowly because of water. This game is great, but this boss can just...go away.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
This is kind of a weird one, but...Dracula in Smash Ultimate, specifically in World of Light. Most of the other bosses went down pretty easily (I beat one on the first try, and most of the others within a few attempts (even the final boss(es) only took me two tries!)), but...I swear I lost to Dracula at least 30 times before I finally beat him.
First, he's the only boss with two forms and two health bars (although his first form seems to have less health). Second, his first form only takes damage if you hit his head.
His first form isn't too bad, but the second one...ugh, it was hell. I'm pretty sure the second form's attacks are more powerful, so it's a lot easier for him to knock you offscreen. Plus you'll already be damaged from the first form unless you're godlike or something (or have an autoheal spirit equipped, but I didn't have any).
I was legit stuck there for a couple hours before I finally got lucky and beat him.
The weird part is, the first time I fought him in Classic Mode, he went down first try :psyduck:

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Poison
For me, it was Seymour Flux from Final Fantasy X. I always had trouble facing him, mainly due to the sheer damage output he had plus the fact that while he would hit your side with the Zombie status (Turns any healing moves into damage when the target's a zombie), his minion Mortiorchis would use Full Life on that person soon after. Then there's the Total Annihilation attack which frequently lives up to its name, and if you throw up Shell, Protect, Haste and the like? The boss uses Dispel so you're frequently taking full damage. He'll also throw up Reflect on himself then bounce Flare off it to hit for major damage.

That was until you realise one thing: Seymour can be silenced. He's resistant to it, but not outright immune, so Wakka's Silence Buster is a godsend in this fight. This removes Seymour's access to Dispel, Reflect, Flare and Protect, so it becomes much more manageable because you get to load up on status buffs. Just be aware that Wakka has one of the party's worst MP stats, so make sure you've got some MP recovery or some stuff to reduce MP cost on hand. If you have a supply of Al Bhed Potions as well, you get a decent healing effect too, so go wild.

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
Mine's a bit of a weird one.

In the story mode of Mario Party DS, after winning each board you have to beat a boss in a special minigame. One of these bosses, the Piranha Plant, really grinds my gears.

It's pretty simple at first glance. Just tap A repeatedly to float upwards, and then press B to catch or release the bomb seeds he spits up at you. Let him inhale three bomb seeds and you win. Simple, right? Wrong.

The problem is, after the first hit, his inhalation become very strong, and you have to mash the hell out of A to avoid getting sucked up yourself. And after this, you have to float back up and actually catch a seed, otherwise it's time for more button mashing! Catching a seed also requires you to hit B, not just approach it. If you do the latter, it explodes on you, making you take a hit and forcing you to ensure you don't fail the button-mashing part.

So the speed of the button-mashing required for this game, on top of the extra little bit that can trip you up and force you right back into the button-mashing, makes this boss quite difficult.

Oh, and did I mention that this is the first boss? Thankfully, the rest of them are far easier than this one.
Here are some memories. Every other boss in the game is either pathetic (You literally have to go out of your way to lose to Hammer Bro.) or an average challenge, but Piranha Plant was always super obnoxious. May be why it only has four boss trophies compared to the other bosses having 5 or 6.

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
Junker from Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story always struck me as a boss nobody ever talks about. Blizzard Midbus, Fawful Express, and Bowser at Dr. Toadley’s are always pointed out as being tough fights, but Junker’s attacks hit pretty hard, the ability to just straight up steal Luigi and throw him in a trash can is obnoxious, the thwomp attack can sometimes just screw you over, plus he’s fairly tanky to boot. Definitely not the worst boss in the game, but still pretty tough.

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Don’t talk to me about BW2, ever. I don’t want to talk about it with you.
Never has there been a boss that has frustrated me more than the Four Kings from Dark Souls. Firstly let's talk about the area in which you encounter them: New Londo, as it contributes to part of why I really dislike this boss fight, even more so than the infamous Bed of Chaos.

New Londo is easily my least favorite location in the game, which may be surprising to most given how a good portion of the second half of Dark Souls is riddled with terrible level design and gimmicks. However, while said gimmicks and level design are legitimately awful, there is one thing the other levels have that New Londo does not... Bonfires. Yes, for some baffling reason (though maybe lore wise it makes complete sense, but I don't really care) there is not a single bonfire in New Londo. The closest bonfires to it are the ones all the way at Firelink Shrine, which going from that direction is a relatively long slog through the dark and dreary underdrowned city of ghosts, as well as the Bonfire at Darkroot Basin that leads immediately into the Valley of the Drakes. Valley of the Drakes is a location that I despise. The Drakes are very powerful creatures (as they should be of course) that can take a long time to kill, especially if you're trying to avoid using Estus so you have heals for the upcoming boss. There was a point where I was actively shooting them with arrows from long distance just to keep myself from losing health, during this time I would play an extended track of Delfino Plaza's Theme just to keep myself sane.

8 minutes.

It could take up to 8 minutes to kill all of the Drakes this way.

Now, to those wondering "Well, why didn't you try to run past the Drakes?" and my response to that is look at my username. Other than that reason, there was the fact that the location where the Drakes guard the entrance back to New Londo is a very narrow bridge, and there are like, three to four different Drakes in front of it. Eventually I got the hang of avoiding them, but it took a long time to get comfortable with doing so. I was never really good at just avoiding enemies to begin with for the entirety of the Souls Trilogy, so it was very difficult for me.

Once back in New Londo, from either bonfire, I'd basically have to fight a gauntlet of Darklurkers, which aren't too bad, just kind of annoying to deal with in some of the tighter corridors of the location. Eventually I'd make it to the lovely white curtain that is the fog gate, and fall down to what would likely be my next failed attempt.

The Four Kings are a DPS challenge. You have to kill them as quickly as possible or die trying, and they're not pushovers either. The Four Kings have incredibly high damaging attacks, including an AOE which makes doing that DPS job a helluva lot harder. It doesn't help that the arena you fight them in, the Abyss, is a pitch black void (again, lore wise this makes sense). It kills my depth perception, because I can never really tell how close or far away from them I am unless I am directly in their face.

I have never beaten this boss without the use of the Black Knight Halberd (which is easily the best melee weapon in the game, imo), which I find pretty upsetting in all honesty. I tried to do the fight with the Dragonslayer Spear when I did an Ornstein run earlier last year as my second playthrough, but after dying so many times I had to resort to using the BLH again. It's just unfortunate that I feel the need to do that when I should be able to use any weapon to defeat them.

Oh, and every single death means that I have to start outside of New Londo at either of the two bonfires, which again, could take upwards to 8 minutes to do if I was feeling overly cautious, so yeah.

It's all of these factors that make me hate this boss fight with a passion. I don't know if I'd say it was my absolute least favorite Souls Boss, but it is definitely up there.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
I've mellowed on my shilling of the game, but I still really enjoyed the original Yooka-Laylee. It absolutely still has its problems (mostly the non-platforming related pagies) but overall it's a very nice experience with some solid platforming.

With that said though fuck the Capital B fight.

On paper it's a solid fight. It's goes through a couple different phases and tests most of your abilities during that time including your proficiency with Spit, Laylee's Sonic moves and Flight while also offering some fun platforming.

The problem is that's it's a long fight. Really long. You have to knock him in the hives (tl: balls) a couple times usually before moving on to the next phase. And there are quite a few. And by quite a few I mean eight. With no checkpoints or health refills.

The worst part is that the last two phases have you working with the really finicky flight controls and consider how quickly your energy runs out you can be genuinely fucked if you dont redirect the missiles just right and then have to start the entire fight over.

I imagine they were going for a Gruntilda style boss there, but this just comes off as irritating and archaic. Just adding a checkpoint in the middle or even some ways to get health would make it infinitely more bearable.

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
The fucking Regenerator, full stop. Normally, Dead Space is simple once you get that dismembering the Necromorphs is more productive than headshots. It even works on Brutes, which are basically the hardest Necromorphs you face up to this point. Well, this guy says, "Fuck your dismembering; I'll just regrow my limbs." Yeah, you can't kill him by the only means you have, and you already have limited ammunition, since Dead Space is survival horror. You have to run, and he's right behind you, waiting to overkill you. I swear, I got a lot of death scenes with this guy before I figured out that you have to lure him into a cryogenic chamber, which is hard enough. And the worst part? You have to face him again. To actually kill him, you have to lure him to a spaceship exhaust, frying him to nothing.

I hear that Nicole's ending boss scene is even worse, since if you get too close to her, she instakills you, and she teleports all over the place, and there's a bunch of mini-monsters fighting you the entire time. I wouldn't know; I never played 2 because 1 was scary enough.

King Smorgascake

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
The heart-shot Sniper Rifle OHKO is about a 99/1 chance to pull off at best and you get eight shots? Those eight shots are nowhere near enough to put him away, either, and spamming the Custom Handgun is both too risky and too tedious. So Claire has to take the Grenade Launcher into the fight, meaning you can't leave it in the item box for Chris. Chris, by consequence, cannot gain access to the weapon until he rescues Claire shortly before the end of the game, by which point Chris only really has the final Alexia battle to worry about and thus only needs the Magnum and the Linear Launcher. But he could bloody well have used it earlier on in his half of the game!

And back to the Nosferatu. It can instantly kill you by knocking you off the roof if you get too close to the ledge, and dying in this fight is not fun. Between the last available save point and the boss, you have a few menial tasks and some unskippable cut-scenes to go through first, so if you die you have to go through that all over again. Also, if Claire gets poisoned, a Blue Herb doesn't work on this particular poison, so you have to guess how much health you have left and top up every now and then while trying to avoid getting knocked off the roof. Oh, and if Claire gets poisoned in this fight, when rescuing her later on Chris will have the tedious task of journeying to the opposite end of the facility to get a serum for her, and back again.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, ladies and gentlemen. There's perfectly good reason as to why this considered the bespectacled, freckle-faced ginger kid of the franchise.

aegagrusScholarship

Problems and Issues Haver
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 9, 2021
Staring at an unfinished writing piece, probably
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
all of them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon craves attention and recognition, but becomes an absolute mess if given either. Often seen starting multiple projects and finishing none.
guys im so stupid im so dumb im such an idiot
i accidentally posted this in the "that one level" thread instead. i'm gonna go cry

oh boy time to talk about vaguely obscure games
spoiler'd because the game came out like 3 weeks ago

TRICKY HELLCLOWN HOFFNAR god DAMN aaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Look, my reflexes are terrible and I'm just straightup not very good at this game, but holy shit. This fight.

It's technically not a bossfight and it's just a timed arena, but I think that contributes to the actual difficulty here. And anyways it's treated as a bossfight and I think it counts as a bossfight anyways so. Eh.

The game's a top-down shooter(...? I think?) but anyways, whatever, there's a weapon durability/ammo system in place. Also you/certain enemies have a tac-bar, which is essentially extra HP that regenerates really easily.
Anyways. Actual fight: you have to survive three endless waves of enemies. Each wave lasts for a minute and a half. The arena itself is made of tiles that can change into hazards, raise up into walls you can't move over, or outright drop away and yeet you into the pit below. You're playing as Jeb and Hank, who are actually the most powerful playable characters, and the room right before you enter is a typical 'prepare-for-boss' room. Gives you some nice weapons + a heal, if you need it.
Oh, so you've got a pretty good advantage, right?
mmmmmmmmmWELL

So the enemy selection is pretty goddamn hellish, because we've got:
The asylum enemies, who just have stupidly high health in general
One specific type of asylum enemy who causes an interface screw if they hit you (the screen just gets jpeg deepfried, basically). Also these guys are why I mentioned tac-bars, because they have one! And it's annoying!
Goddamn exploding zombie clowns (and holy shit, there is not a lot of room to manouvre)
Fricken lazer drones who keep spawning in and barraging you with endless lasers that eat through your tac-bar/hp like there's no tomorrow
More lazers, but stationary and just as deadly
Oh! And sleepwalkers! Who revive upon death! Except it's not even the normal sleepwalkers, it's the Sleepwalker G03LMs, who are bigger, have more goddamn health, AND need you to do a specific takedown before you can kill them for good! I'm actually not sure if this is better or worse than normal sleepwalkers, because the normal ones stop reviving after they die three times and explode instead.

And did I mention that the ally AI in this game is absolutely, utterly, horribly moronic because it is. The thing is, the AI's pretty good at killing things for you; I actually really like that. They're actually useful and aren't the usual 'allied AI refuses to use anything more powerful than standing around and occasionally slapping someone'.
The thing is, they're horrible at staying alive.
So, well, in this arena full of exploding things and fire everywhere and deadly lazers the AI does not stay alive. Which is horrible, because now I'm babysitting Hank J. Motherfucker Wimbleton while he gets set on fire for the fiftieth time over and trying to stay alive myself and trying to kill things fast enough so I don't get overwhelmed or blasted in the face with a laser.
(and then my ally gets blasted in the face with a laser and dies, again,)
Fun times.

Oh, yes, and weapon durability/ammo counts. Also, honestly, the weapons are pretty well researched (not just for the game, the series in general, but I digress) but that means we have realistic ammo counts, which is... great. Well, at least we get replacements over the course of the fight.
The replacements come in nice gift boxes that explode.
You know, if the exploding clowns weren't enough.
Very fun times.
(and while you can fight barehanded here, and honestly it's a very viable offensive option- it's really not doable in this particular fight just because it's so chaotic and you just don't have the time. so you really do need a pointy thing or a gun to slap someone before you take too much time)

And, seriously, the arena itself bears repeating, because while I summarized it a bit earlier, please keep the enemy selection, AI stupidity, and weapon situation in mind while I elaborate:
So, the arena is made of a bunch of tiles which can drop down or flip around to reveal hazards. It's pretty big at first.
It does not stay big at all, because it shrinks every wave as the edges drop down permanently. So, you're already having to deal with a fairly small arena to manouvre around in. And other panels also drop (albeit not permanently) intermittently, so you have to watch where you're stepping on this tiny-ass area.
And keep in mind that these panels can also raise up, which means now you have to contend with a small arena and impassable sections as well!
Don't forget about the floor hazards, because those exist. Either it's a row of flamethrowers, which basically bisects the battlefield for as long as they're on... which is okay, I guess. Not the worst. Y'know, if you ignore your AI ally walking their ass right into the fire again.
There's also the lightning towers, though, and these shoot electricity in an X formation with them as the epicentre. It's not too bad if you're paying attention, but the thing is that you're paying attention to everything else going on at once so now this thing might zap your ass if you were a little distracted.
INCREDIBLY fun times.

Honestly, despite my complaining, the fight's not bullshit or outright unfair.
But it's still hard as hell, and the fact I suck at this game only makes it worse.

OH AND IF YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE DONE nah you have to deal with one more wave of Nexus reinforcements, but, luckily, they're a lot easier than the fight that came before it. Also Tricky comes down and helps you, so that's great. Still might catch you off guard if you are sufficiently tired, though.

anyways i got stuck on the goddamn hellclown for like a week before i did it co-op instead lmao

Users who are viewing this thread