• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Kalos Written Log Teen Take what you can get: A simple Y Wonderlocke

Captain Demozan

Perseverant quitter
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 20, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
He/They/Zan
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
A Zangoose-Slurpuff hybrid with an intense love for Puyo Puyo. He has a heavy dislike for himself, and is quick to deny compliments.
Heya! My name's Captain Demozan. So I recently lost my copy of Y, and it kinda bummed me out. So I purchased a new digital copy, and instead of just rushing through it to get back to the postgame, I'll instead do a challenge run to make getting there fun. I'm not going to focus too much on this compared to my other runs, so this is more just a documentation of how it went rather than a proper story. I hope you enjoy it regardless, though!

1. I can only catch the first Pokémon of each area. If I fail that catch, I cannot catch anything else unless clauses apply. If the catch succeeds, I must wonder trade the catch as soon as possible.
    1. Dupes Clause: If I've already gotten the Pokémon in a wonder trade, I can wonder trade what I received for another Pokémon.
    2. Legendaries cannot be used. I must trade them away for another Pokémon.
    3. Shiny Clause: If I encounter a shiny, I can catch it, but I cannot use it in battle. I'll instead store it in Bank and use this as a "free trade voucher", where I can catch a random Pokémon and trade that away.
    4. Obedience Clause: If my makeshift starter is too high level to obey me, I am allowed to trade it for a lower level Pokémon.
    5. Gift and Static Pokémon are allowed to be caught, regardless of already having a catch in that area, but they must still be wonder traded.
  2. If a Pokémon faints, it is considered dead, and I must permabox it.
  3. Due to the nature of the Wonderlocke, enforcing the popular "Nickname all Pokémon" bonus rule cannot be used. However, I can give an honorary nickname to a Pokémon if it lacks a nickname.
  4. Set mode please
  5. No Super Training until the 4th gym is complete.
  6. Only one item may be used per major battle (Major battles include Rival battles, Gym leaders, Team Flare admins/Lysandre, Elite 4 members, and Diantha.
  7. White outs = Game Over.
With that out of the way, let's go!
Woke up from a weird dream of this shockingly handsome man named Sycamore. Felt kind of vivid, to be honest. He asked me about myself. I'm Demozan. I'm a Hoennian tourist who goes from region to region exploring and challenging their respective leagues. I'm currently trying out Kalos. I've heard mixed feelings about the region, so I don't know what to expect.

After I left my house, I was greeted by two young women. I wasn't able to get their names before they bolted off, but they said that they were getting their starters, and they offered that I could pick one up myself. Of course, I was happy to accept. What's a trainer without a Pokémon? Making my way to Aquecorde, I met two more individuals, and got all four of their names: Serena, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor. They were all instantly eager to be friends with me, which made me... kinda uncomfortable. I didn't say anything, though. I just carried on and eyed my options in starters.

First there was Chespin, a cute, cheeky chipmunk looking rodent with just the cutest little hat. Next was Fennekin, a pretty little yellow fox with big tufts of orange fur in in its ears. Lastly was Froakie, a bubbly blue frog. I had to go with Chespin. How couldn't I? I picked him up and called him Timmy. Shauna took the Froakie, and Serena took up Fennekin. The two boys didn't pick anything. I'm guessing they already have their own Pokémon?

Before I started my journey, Shauna wanted to battle me with our new Pokémon. Timmy won pretty easily, having a type advantage against her Froakie. (Author's note: I'm not able to Wonder Trade until I have 2 Pokémon in my party, so I'll have to use Timmy for the first few battles before I get my first new Pokémon, then the trading can commence.) After that battle, I purchased some potions and Pokéballs, and took my first steps into Route 2. As soon as my foot touched the tall grass. I was immediately jumped by a Pidgey.I was defended by Timmy, and one tackle later, I was able to easily catch the Pidgey. I gave her the name "Arle Nadja", and was excited to embark on my journey with my two sweet partners by my side!

A few steps later, I saw Serena and Shauna catching some Pokémon. Serena thought I was watching them to try and learn, so she offered me some extra Poké balls. I was just trying to push forward, but I was happy to accept more Poké balls. They went into the forest, so I chose to follow them. Before I took my step in, I was confronted by a youngster with a Zigzagoon. He seemed eager for a battle, so I gladly accepted his challenge. I picked up Timmy's Pokéball and tossed it out gently for his second battle!

...Timmy? You're looking a bit odd.

Espio*, the Kecleon

Level 12, Male, Mild nature.
Ability: Color Change
Moves: Scratch, Bind, Feint Attack, Fury Swipes
(Author's note: If a Pokémon's name is marked by a *, that means that's just the nickname I gave them.)

I don't know what happened, but my sweet little Chespin was randomly swapped out for a Kecleon. I didn't really mind Kecleon, but god, I'm gonna miss Timmy... I swiftly grabbed Arle's Pokéball to send it out, and to my horror, she's changed too.
Gogotte*, the Shroomish

Level 5, Male, Jolly nature
Ability: Poison Heal
Moves: Absorb, Tackle, Stun Spore
Held item: Tiny mushroom

What happened here? Where were my Pokémon? Did someone sneak up to me, take my two Pokémon, and swap them out for these two? I was hoping to find out where they went, but nope. No cigar. I was just gonna have to deal with not getting to keep any of my Pokémon that I caught myself.

I swallowed my pride and entered the forest. Shauna joined up with me again, I guess to find her way to the other side. I just rolled with it and ruffled through the grass. Before I knew it, there was a Pansage in front of me. Alright, I guess. With Gogotte's help, I was able to catch it. Now I had two Grass types, at least until someone steals one of them.

I kept a tight grip on the Pokéball to make sure nobody stole it. I opened the Pokéball as soon as I could to see how the Pansage was... and then suddenly, there was a Lileep in there!

Rafflesia*, the Lileep

Level 20, Male, Calm nature
Ability: Suction Cups
Moves: Astonish, Constrict, Acid, Ingrain

This is when I learned something awful: nobody's stealing my Pokémon, but instead, some unknown force is exchanging them for others from thin air! That means no matter what, I can't stop what's going on. I'm just stuck with this. At least the sooner I accept these conditions, the less they hurt. I guess. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to stay positive.

Going through Santalune Forest wasn't too bad, I guess. Gogotte got poisoned by a Weedle, but this turned out to be beneficial, as he had Poison Heal. Poison actually healed him instead of damaging him. I was wary of using Espio or Rafflesia, since I know that leveling Pokémon that aren't yours too high will make them disobedient. Gogotte still grew quite a bit, though. He got to level 10, in fact. Once we all got out of Santalune Forest, we all went our own separate ways. Me, personally, I looked for a Pokémon on Route 3. I found a Bidoof, not that it mattered. Soon after, it turned into a Wurmple.

Popples*, the Wurmple

Level 2, Female, Adamant Nature
Ability: Shield Dust
Moves: Tackle, String Shot
Item: Pecha Berry

Yeesh. That's an awful nature for a Wurmple, since IIRC, both of its evolutions are Special oriented. But maybe Popples will still come through as a splendid Pokémon? I've been surprised like this many times before. Also, why are all my Pokémon coming from Hoenn?

On Route 22, before I took on the gym, I found and caught a Riolu. Would've been amazing if I could use it, but I just knew it would be switched out for something considerably less cool. Or so I thought... I got a Ralts!

Espada*, the Ralts

Level 3, Male, Sassy Nature
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Growl

Yet another Hoenn mon, but I'm super excited for this one! He's male, meaning I can evolve him into a Gallade, which is one of my favies. I can get a Dawn Stone as soon as I get Surf, so that's good! Training it us is gonna be difficult, but I'm hopeful that this lad's gonna be one of our big players!

To get into Viola's gym, I need to beat this one trainer outside of the gym so I can get the Roller Skates, but it wasn't too hard. Espio just did two Fury Swipes on it, knocking out the foe's Zigzagoon. Roller Skates obtained!

I considered buying some clothes, but they didn't have anything of interest to me. They had this really cool purple hat, but it must've been display only. Bugger.

Heading into Viola's gym, I decided to stick mostly with Espio while also switch training Espada. Espio's color change ability scares me for Viola's Vivillon, but otherwise, I have high-ish hopes.

Major battle: VS. Viola
Viola starts out with Surskit, while I start out with Espada. The latter shoots out a Confusion, while being brought to red with Bubble. I switch out to Espio to take another Bubble. Bubble makes us Water type, so the next Bubble does nothing. I go for Fury Swipes, and hope for the best.

One hit... Two hits... Bam! Surskit goes down!

Viola's down to one Pokémon, and I'm still raring to go! Vivillon goes for Infestation, turning us Bug type. This is what I worried about. Is it going to go for a Gust or something next? I fire off Scratch, which does pitiful damage. Things are looking bad now... I try for Fury Swipes. Vivillon uses Tackle, keeping me out of danger from Flying-type moves for now, but Fury Swipes misses. I try again, now that Fury Swipes is STAB. Another tackle is reassuring, and Fury Swipes connects! I better get a good roll, else Espio will be in critical condition...

One hit... Two hits... Three hits... Yes! Down goes Vivillon!

A tense battle is over, and we obtain the first badge of our run! The Bug Badge allows Pokémon up to level 30 to obey me in battles. Normally, this means nothing to me, but when all my Pokémon are at risk of disobedience, I take what I can get! Seeya next time, when we tackle Grant! I bet Rafflesia will get his time to shine, yes?

Last edited:

Yuna

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Ooh, a Wonderlocke! I've been wanting to do one of those, but with it being quite some time since the release of X/Y and much less people wonder trading, I was kind of scared the concept had lost its original charm. I'm glad to see you managed to get some unique mons like Lileep though! That's definitely a line you don't see getting used every day.

Good job on taking out Viola and good luck with your challenge!

Moon

Kanto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.

Captain Demozan

Perseverant quitter
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 20, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
He/They/Zan
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
A Zangoose-Slurpuff hybrid with an intense love for Puyo Puyo. He has a heavy dislike for himself, and is quick to deny compliments.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ooh, a Wonderlocke! I've been wanting to do one of those, but with it being quite some time since the release of X/Y and much less people wonder trading, I was kind of scared the concept had lost its original charm. I'm glad to see you managed to get some unique mons like Lileep though! That's definitely a line you don't see getting used every day.

Good job on taking out Viola and good luck with your challenge!
Yeah, the Gen 6 online community is still surprisingly active! While I've had a couple moments where I couldn't find a trade, I was still able to find a decent amount and variety of Pokémon. I bet a lot of people are either playing their own wonderlockes or they're IV breeding or Masuda methoding and WTing away the Pokémon that don't have their preferred IV spread/aren't shiny. Thank you for the GL!

It's been a while since I've updated, huh? Thankfully, I'm finally gonna get around to updating this more frequently! I'll try to alternate this and my UCL3 run.
Leaving Viola's gym, I was pretty proud of myself. I've already nabbed my first badge, and all of my Pokémon are raring to go. But as soon as I stepped out of the doors of the gym, I was greeted by a young journalist who claimed to be Viola's sister. She said something about meeting her in Lumiose City. But before she left, she handed me this strange device. Looking at the manual it came with, it said it was an Exp. Share. I remembered this kind of device from Hoenn. Earlier builds only shared the Exp with one Pokémon, but the later models shared them with the whole party. This new brand is very useful for grinding, but right now, it presents an issue; As a result of... whatever this going on is, all my Pokémon are considered traded. While traded Pokémon are easier to train, they have the downside of disobeying you if you level them up too much without enough badges. The Exp. Share could easily result in overtraining to the point that my Pokémon don't obey me at all. Because of that, I switched the share off. Will I turn it back on later? ...Eh, maybe, maybe not. Probably not.

With that all happening, I set foot in the flowery place of Route 4. Pleasant smells surrounded me from all around. I decided to reach into the flowers and take a nice sniff of it myself... only to find out I got my hands on a poor Flabebe! Poor thing was fuming at me, and tried to attack my Pokémon. Can I say I blame it? Not really. If someone, comparatively speaking, 120 feet tall just grabbed me and sniffed me, I'd be pretty frightened too. I let it go and caught it, hoping it would forgive me for my mistake. But that's forgetting that I had the swapping thing going on. Whoops!

Buster*, the Anorith

Level 20, female, Careful nature
Ability: Battle Armor
Moves: Mud Shot, Water Gun, Harden, Metal Claw

...Are Hoennian Pokémon just naturally attracted to Hoennian people?

While celebrating my full team and tossing about in the flowers, I was seen by two assistants of the region's scientist. They introduced themselves as Dexio and Sina. They said a few things about friendship and also Flabebe, and they gifted me the TM for Return, one of my favorite TMs. They then guided me through the route divider and into Lumiose City. It was huge... Quite possibly the largest city I've ever seen. Not even Mauville could compare!

Inside the city was the lab that Dexio and Sina worked at, so I followed them inside. Shauna and Serena also caught up with me, and we all went to Floor 3 of the building. There, we were greeted by Professor Sycamore, the man I saw in my dreams. He's even more handsome in person... Not only did he give me the TM for one of my other favorite moves, False Swipe, but he also challenged me to a Pokémon battle!

In a panic, I sent out Espio, and he faced off against a Bulbasaur. I had my Pokémon use Return, which I had taught to him earlier. It did pretty good damage! Espio must've already taken a liking to me, eh? Bulbasaur used Leech Seed on him, however. Regardless, another Return took it down! Next was a Squirtle. Since Espio was already doing so well, I had him use Return again. Even the tanky turtle was brought down to below half by Return, and it tackled back for pretty insignificant damage. As per usual, a second tackle, and my Kecleon proved himself greater! Lastly was Charmander. No stopping now! Return brought Charmander down to red, and how does it hit back against the terrifying move? Smoke Screen. Yeah, it stood no chance!

With the battle won, Sycamore gave me a gift (Sadly not a kiss); I was able to pick out one of the Pokémon he used against me. I'm guessing he didn't know about my whole curse, so I was nice and took one with me. Looking at my team, and assuming the girls would also get the other starters, I took the one that I felt would put me at the biggest advantage: Charmander. My current team can handle Water and Grass types pretty well, but not Fire. Eliminating a Fire type from the possible opposition would be a big help. Darn shame I wouldn't be able to use a Kanto starter myself though, right? ...Right?

Guys, you will not believe this.

Fortle* the Squirtle

Level 1, Male, Bashful nature
Ability: Rain Dish
Moves: Tackle

I can't describe how lucky this was. Not only did I exchange a Kanto starter for another Kanto starter, but it's my FAVORITE Kanto starter, and it has its hidden ability, which is insanely good for nuzlockes. Goodness gracious I'm excited for this one.

Sycamore must not have noticed the fact that the starter I have absolutely is not Charmander, he gave me this marble thing he called "Charizardite Y". I have no idea what this is, but I'll hold onto it. Don't wanna upset him.

As I attempted to leave the building, I saw this very tall, orange-haired man named Lysandre. I only overheard the conversation he was having, but he talked a lot about making a "beautiful world". It creeped me out, and worried me about what he was looking for in this theoretical "beautiful world" he wants to make. I'll just ignore it. He might be a misguided man thinking too much of himself and his capabilities.

With my shiny (not literally) new Squirtle in hand, I make my way to Route 5. As soon as I left the gate, I got confronted by a random Lucario. I excitedly took out a Pokéball, but I quickly learned that it belonged to a trainer. I was mildly disappointed, I guess, but I realized that I wouldn't really be able to use it anyway, and catching it would be a nightmare. So I just tossed a Quick Ball into the grass and nabbed myself a random Pancham. Or rather...

Progg*, the Torkoal

Level 44, Female, Mild Nature
Ability: White Smoke
Moves: Body Slam, Protect, Lava Plume, Iron Defense

Huzzah! A Fire type! But ah, it's level 44... She'd be disobedient if I tried to use her. Fire types are gonna have to wait for now, but I should be able to hold out until then. Maybe I'll get a better fire type by then. Nothing against Torkoal, I think it's cool, but I never understood why it wasn't Fire/Rock or Fire/Ground. It's just too slow and not very specially defensive, and only got a niche when it came to Alola.

While training up my Pokémon, I was challenged by two young girls with Plusle and Minun. I always thought those two Pokémon were cute, but mediocre, but I was taught just how strong they are in a Double battle. Have you ever taken a Helping Hands-boosted Thundershock? I have, and while I didn't lose anyone, it was scary as heck. Do you know what else is scary? Not knowing you're about to get interrupted by a Rival battle right before a town! Hello, Tierno!

He sent out a Corphish, while I tried my luck with Fortle. He's still young, but he can manage this, surely. ...Oooor not. Tackle didn't do shit to Corphish, while it outgunned my baby boy with Vice Grip. Fortle's gonna have to wait for now while I send in Rafflesia to back him up. Rafflesia took a weak hit from Vice Grip, thanks to his Rock type. Rafflesia sprayed some acid on Corphish, which did a good amount of damage. I keep thinking Poison is NVE against Water, but that's probably because it was in Generation one. Regardless, another Acid took out the crayfish.

I geared myself up for Tierno's next Pokémon, but I failed to realize I already beat him. I awkwardly took the prize money and slinked into Camphrier town. Serena and I tried to learn more about that marble I was given, but they don't know shit, so I moved onto Route 7. I couldn't grab an encounter thanks to a big Snorlax blocking the bridge to the majority of the route. Apparently, the Parfum Palace has one, so I dashed to Route 6 to get there.

Route 6 also has grass, so of course, I had to dig through that. A little Oddish was what I found, and I was easily able to capture it. Of course, however, it became...
Bulbous*, the Gulpin

Level 10, Male, Jolly nature
Ability: Sticky Hold
Moves: Pound, Poison Gas, Yawn

I spent a little more time in the grass, and after a couple of battles, Fortle finally evolved into a Wartortle! My boy is so big now... *Sniffle* But that's nothing major, still got one evolution to go, after all. I made my way to the Parfum Palace, and sadly, was forced to fork over some cash to get in. Damn richies... Our visit was also dragged more into the mud by the fact that the owner was missing his Furfrou. Thankfully, with Shauna's help, I was able to corner it and the owner got the doggy back.

Out of celebration, not only did I get HM01 Cut, the owner let Shauna and I watch a fireworks show! ...In broad daylight. More importantly, I was also given the Poké Flute, so I can wake up that Snorlax! ...Or so I thought. Two people told me that I wouldn't be good at playing it, so they took it and played themselves. Regardless, the Snorlax woke up, and I jumped in to catch it. A long battle and a Timer Ball later, he was finally mine. Not! Can't forget that I have this curse or what have you.
Pika*, the Pikachu

Level 32, Female, Quiet nature
Ability: Static
Moves: Feint, Double Team, Spark, Nuzzle

Well, the flute was given back to the Parfum Palace, but at least I have the rest of Route 7 to- *Sniff sniff* Do I smell berries? Ooh, yes! There's a Berry Farm that I can use! Well, seeya next time, while I farm some sweet, sweet fruits day in, day out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)