• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
An overly snarky trip through Galar (Updated 11/28)

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
^What Kit said. RIP Sneasel.

Throat Spray is good on Accelgor because Bug Buzz is a sound-based move to trigger the item, and because Accelgor also has Unburden. So with one attack you can do some solid damage, raise your Special Attack by 50%, and double your Speed.

I agree with you that HMs weren't the worst thing in the world. Yeah it was annoying in the past having to keep something like FLash or Whirlpool, but that got better over time. The Unova and Kalos games didn't have anything worse than Cut, which imo is very manageable.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
"Yeah, the last couple of years have been awful. Just utterly dreadful challengers-none of 'em even made it to Wyndon."
😄

Never seen someone use a Galarian Yamask before, that would be fun if you ever decide to do that.

Opinion of Max Raid Battles? Umm. Cute feature that can be a exciting in theory, the in practice its pretty much a long animation game gimmick rather than a well thought of mechanism (much like Dynamaxing in general). I would have preferred if they focused more on older ideas and perfected them, but overall I have nothing against it and I did find them enjoyable at times. Maybe I'm just not the sort of player who is into these parts of the game.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Ugh I hate the Motostoke Hop fight on a conceptual level, it just offer nothing new or interesting both on a character and gameplay perspective. Remove it and you lose nothing.

Max Raid Battles? I like them conceptually a lot and I find them really fun, but they do have some problems that make them both really easy and really irritating (how shields work mostly). The AI for these also kinda sucks. I think it's a tricky balance of multiplayer mechanic and resource grinding mechanic but there could've been some change that make them more enjoyable across the board (changing some aspects of shields and what they block, higher hp for the raid mon, better trainer ai)

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today we began the journey toward the first gym.
@Kit_The_Feef: ...*checks*
Wow, I'm a dumbass...and I should've remembered that because I freaking used one before :facepalm:
I could have sworn I had to trade him though...I guess I got him confused with some other 'mon.
I haven't seen the guy with a Throh, although it's both sad and hilarious that a Magikarp is one of the more useful allies.

@ActiveTransport: F for the poor Sneasel :c
Oh wow, that's a really good strat! I would never have thought of it, since I've never played competitive/Accelgor is a 'mon I tend to forget most of the time...
Exactly! I just feel like it's more realistic to use your own 'mons to get past obstacles. And yeah Unova and Kalos were a lot better about not really needing them-I just wonder how the Sinnoh remakes are gonna be in that aspect.

@RubyClaw: Glad you liked that quip! Rose keeps saying this year looks great, so I was like "clearly the last couple have been crap" :v:
I'll probably bring Diana in after Nessa since she could be handy against Kabu. Just wish it didn't have such a dumb evolution method (how the heck was anyone supposed to figure that out?)
That's a fair point, and I agree that some old aspects could've used more polish. Maybe they're more fun if you have other people to play with? I still like the concept though, and the rewards are nice.

@LucarioOfLegends: Exactly! He doesn't even have any new 'mons for that fight, so what's the point? I really think it would've been better to fight Marnie there since you fight Bede in the mine (or move her there and fight him here). Although I guess Morpeko might be a little too strong at this point...
I agree with you pretty much word for word. Shields especially are awful, along with the crap NPC AI/crap like Martin's Solrock.

Question: I think Max Raids are a pretty fun addition, and I appreciate them adding NPCs for people like me who don't have anyone to play with, but why do half the possible trainers suck so hard (not just the Solrock-there's one with a damn Wobbufett), and why is the AI so bad? Also, they get really aggravating later on (once they start using shields-I'll try to show that later on).
We left off with several new catches from the Wild Area and finally being free to head out of Motostoke.

nubwC3B.jpg

Off we go!

zqcCDT6.jpg
jl5fkIA.jpg

I would give you an A for usefulness, but you're way too late for that. The sad part is, you're still more useful than a lot of NPCs (even some named ones).

7Qnxe8d.jpg

Yoink.

S3WcuFj.jpg

Catch time! Although we can rule out one 'mon already.

lYqwMLn.jpg

Nice! Obstagoon is one of my favorite Gen 8 'mons.

lGwdCam.jpg

Stop that.

AjHfBGR.jpg

I said stop 😠

JIJkEhB.jpg

Good job, Connor.
*happy chirp*

2YKI9ep.jpg

And done.

wE8jso3.jpg
rDgICUZ.jpg

I would be bummed she didn't get Pickup, but I basically never get Pickup anyway, so meh. She may not be as useful as she'd be in Shield since we don't fight a Ghost gym here, but I'll probably still bring her in later.
(I wanted to name her after a female rocker, and the first one I thought of was Lzzy Hale from Halestorm. Amy Lee from Evanescence was my other choice, but I feel like this fit more.)

dy4UyYA.jpg

And then I got surrounded by flowers.

WdRBev6.jpg

Finally, we can fight some trainers who aren't Hop!

FZpTZ1h.jpg

Uh, I was in the opening ceremony.

g1axP5J.jpg

Good matchup. Don't look, Kristen :c
*sad whine*
*covers her eyes*

KYQrEwE.jpg

This is going smoothly even though DJ's Attack is kinda crap.

LvI70dd.jpg
Kygf42a.jpg

That'll help, though. And that's an important level for Connor.

pC6HM5x.jpg

Good, you shouldn't let one loss get you down. A certain character could learn that from you around mid-game (although they at least have a reason to get discouraged).

YCl7qO3.jpg

👀

XlvYAyX.jpg
faNny2z.jpg

Emo lizard get! I actually really like Drizzile-it's one of the better middle forms IMO because it doesn't look awkward like a lot of the others. That said, this is another reason I hate the perma-Exp Share-having your starter evolve before the first gym just feels weird to me.

MkROhDa.jpg

Just as long as he doesn't throw one at me.
*pouting*
Ugh, I don't have the patience to deal with an angsty teenager.

JEcfOgm.jpg

You say that as if you're out of it this year. Or are you just not participating this year?
(Morbid story idea: people who lose or drop out of the challenge vanish ala Squid Game...you would have to age up the opponents though.)

LPsWuE8.jpg

Emoness aside, he's looking very solid.

VXlNH9Z.jpg

Gonna give him this now...

V1Q7GxJ.jpg

...and swap him out because he's overleveled. *rants about the Exp Share again*

UZvS7X4.jpg

I never use these, because by the time I get them I basically always have a full team.

sWyDQ6B.jpg

...TIL Klink appears on this route.

N2Zkf3W.jpg

Ugh, I really wish Rocky was the one getting overleveled instead of Connor-he needs to evolve soon.

3wkNnaU.jpg

Not gonna save you from fire.

yF7uAmx.jpg

Hey, I might be able to make him any of the Hitmons after all!
...But which one would be best?

cNDZXPt.jpg

That's a lot to study at your age ._.

EFbRzOp.jpg

Ooh, that's actually a little worrisome.

EUXKIUm.jpg

I always forget what that move does, or get it mixed up with Storm Throw. I think one always crits and the other swaps 'mons?

weeZpEx.jpg

Guess that answers that question. But Doug's not ready for this fight, so let's get him out. The extra EXP is appreciated though.

p6LIL6E.jpg

Seriously? 🙄

fiNWQ8T.jpg

...well, at least he can get some chip damage in.

i11MTXg.jpg
t5rxnlr.jpg

:ohdear:

ggpfuDn.jpg

...oh.

SQMYXwk.jpg

Would you stop that 😠

Ehw6DmR.jpg

Are you fucking kidding me?

s5c7V9z.jpg

This thing packs a punch, too! I was worried I'd lose someone here.

6sY9WYQ.jpg

Um, you try?

EQbQ7ii.jpg

Good bird! And a couple well-earned levels for the trouble.
*happy tweet*

MvPWpxo.jpg

Your "savvy" consists of being annoying and spamming Circle Throw, shut up.

rk2tRM2.jpg
BJMHFq6.jpg

...what :psyduck:

D8HwHus.jpg
UfaPQ6i.jpg

How does camping give EXP? Why does this game insist on handing out unnecessary EXP all the time 😒

rsnVcH3.jpg

I'll take that, though.

qwl0OMl.jpg

Not very.
...Oh, you mean my team :v:

i4SOI1d.jpg

Look how happy he is!

MeXvVsu.jpg

This might be dangerous, but I think he has the SpDef to risk it.

z1dTFhT.jpg

Yep.

WjI7XTO.jpg

I think this is better suited for Edgar, though.

WYkQ5Yg.jpg

UNNECESSARILY DRAMATIC ANIME SHOT

GnQYI7M.jpg

Nice.

9AjLDSa.jpg
jCYeXNi.jpg

Very nice!

iSOKSWC.jpg

He looks more confused than disappointed, thank goodness.

3mxrVtl.jpg

Good idea.

Dc9fQLn.jpg

What now?

O7DOh97.jpg

Hello.

5Zmeapo.jpg

...how'd you know I'm asexual? o_o
(Ace/aro cis dude for the record.)

eV5agN9.jpg

Don't know, don't care.

zEnglnD.jpg

He wishes he could hold a candle to me.

sieaHDv.jpg

I'm all ears.

Uf6VEj3.jpg

Doesn't Rose basically own Galar? Why is this building notable?

a36Eg8h.jpg
vSdFvgu.jpg

Case in point. Although I don't know why she points this out, considering you never explore it. Kind of a missed opportunity.

zaSmy2H.jpg

Maybe, but I still wonder if Oleana is the true brains.

MwNOeIN.jpg

Sure, thanks.

76hdGiv.jpg

I always forget they made the Escape Rope a Key Item in SwSh. Then again, I rarely use them anyway.

292syCU.jpg

Not really necessary, but okay.

Y5lNqfY.jpg

Not challenging enough.

NxIp2Zx.jpg

Free money!

RJQIB9H.jpg

More like "I wanted to pass through without beating your Pokémon".

du7oPQd.jpg

I hate bipedal Purrloin so much 😭

wrTFMwL.jpg

Gonna fight it with a mouse. (okay technically it's a chinchilla but shh)

WsDHaOX.jpg

I think this is the first I've used June this whole run?

Iz9uUJa.jpg

She handled it easily.

eybo8VJ.jpg

Let's see how this matchup goes.

Three turns later:

nLuCRE6.jpg

Ugh, we gotta get you evolved ASAP.

IJi1wgK.jpg

Guess DJ will have to finish it.

AC1mhQj.jpg
eSjcf8J.jpg

Ooh, nice!

BJE0rt0.jpg

Gotta go with the upgrade.

cOe2gBH.jpg

I respect that.

bTMuBVs.jpg

Oh, really? 🤨

KVD8yqs.jpg

This is another move I wish more things learned. It's not really good, but it's unique.

5ViGyO6.jpg

I hate to say this, but you're probably gonna need a new career soon-no one sends physical mail anymore, and Amazon and UPS deliver packages.

0no2ETF.jpg

What is that facial hair? ._.

Sqdg2bD.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think he can handle this either.

r41143Z.jpg

Better.

QimGQie.jpg
WyFHxqK.jpg

Why is Delibird worth so much EXP? Nice double level, though.

swhG49A.jpg

Don't be mad at me, you're the one with a Delibird.

sF6Y5nY.jpg

If you say so.

uX0RxhK.jpg
KeVyZfG.jpg

Okay, that makes sense. But I still don't get why it gives EXP...

ApM5H7n.jpg
9Rp7GiM.jpg

I feel like that might be an invasion of privacy, but maybe later.

uhtxfsY.jpg

More swapping.

UptmXx1.jpg

Duh, everyone knows it's rock-paper-scissors on steroids.

yWYeV5f.jpg

Ooh, another Galar 'mon I like!

jB6C4ei.jpg

Let's see how this goes.

bszeRSs.jpg

*snort*
How the hell does that work?

XvOa92B.jpg

Berries coming in handy.

hO15b51.jpg
qlCGp9S.jpg

*stifles yet another rant*

vBtm7u3.jpg

That's nice, though.

QsmJMuv.jpg

I considered keeping Disable for trolling shenanigans, but I think this is the best option. Might put it back on her later.

I90N6iA.jpg

Dottler is such a silly design that I can't help but like it in a way.

bkT6VnP.jpg

Good start.

pR0dl0g.jpg

Oh, come on >:(

mE9a4jU.jpg

I fucking HATE confusion because of this crap right here. What is the logic behind it?
I feel like it would make more sense for the 'mon to either use a different move than instructed or have lowered accuracy. But hitting itself makes no damn sense.

Ik86p8m.jpg

But Rock Tomb is physical~

3dRkj1M.jpg

You're not bad, actually.

bkeyrie.jpg

!
I may have underestimated you.

pkY645g.jpg

But after a heal, it went down.

AQTyT2i.jpg

Not necessarily.

9s0i8fo.jpg

That should be obvious.

lPzJn6l.jpg

Nice.

Zi0OBmv.jpg

Away from me!

SlldWUo.jpg
UI2Yt7X.jpg

That sounds questionable. Are you sure it's legal?

nbDRBwo.jpg

I feel like that line would make more sense to someone leaving the mine, not entering. (You'll see what I mean on the other side.)

But might as well be fully healed for the trip...which seems like a good place to stop as well.

u9VSOqx.jpg

Next time, we head in the first Galar mine.
Question of the update: what's your favorite QOL upgrade in SwSh?

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
My favourite QOL things from Sword/Shield include the EXP Candies, no cap on Vitamins, and the Mints that can effectively change a 'Mons Nature. Also Ability Patches are nice. And the move tutor being able to teach Egg moves. Just a lot of things that make raising Pokemon so much easier.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Permanent EXP share will never not be a stupid idea. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to toggle it, and with no EXP Share and the same level curve the game might actually be a bit of a challenge for those who like it that way. I understand that this is not exactly answering your question, but the most infuriating part of SwSh imo (after Dexit) is how thoroughly overboard they went with the "QOL improvements." There's so much quality it's not even a life anymore, when anything you could possibly want is dumped right into your lap with zero effort. I thought Gen VII had reached a nice balance in that regard, but of course Game Freak's motto is "if it ain't broke, we'd better fix it."

On another note...hmm. I was going to say that I thought Purrloin had always been bipedal, but I guess that only started in Gen VI. I agree, it does look better in the original artwork. But I won't say anything more about the switch to 3D models, because I've already ranted once today.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
As noted before me there are a lot of quality of life features added in this game, and many of them are really good by themselves (exp candies helping you get old pokemon back to pace, move relearners giving you the ability to change strategies, mineable TRs which give a good balance between resource management and choice, permanent access to the box, and so on) but all of them together given them to you from the beginning (and especially the cursed exp share) just make the game too easy and hurt the game experience instead of improving it, which is a real shame.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
  3. Flying
  4. Psychic
Your comment about evolving your starter before the first gym is kind of a moot point when you consider that the first Gym Leader is level 20.

Also, it's better to think of damage from confusion as "Your Pokemon tripped and fell on its face" rather than "Your Pokemon punched itself in the face"

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Today we head into the first Galar mine and kick a new rival's ass.
@Kit_The_Feef: It does seem like they're making an effort to make raising/perfecting Pokémon easier. I'm not into the competitive scene, but it's nice to see they at least respect it/actually try to help it. At least compared to the Smash scene, which Nintendo just openly ignores/seems to want to go away...

@ActiveTransport: That's exactly what I've been saying! All we needed was the EXP Share to be optional like it was in Gen 6-7 and it would've been fine.
I almost want to learn how to hack just to see if there's a way to remove/toggle it...and yeah, they did go a little over the top. Hopefully BDSP will dial back on it somewhat, although I'm not incredibly optimistic...
Bipedal Purrloin lowkey traumatizes me. It was actually cute back in Gen 5, but now it looks so weird...I wouldn't mind if it just stood on its back legs occasionally, but as is it looks so bizarre.

@RubyClaw: I just wish Game Freak would realize they have older fans like us who want the games to be challenging without having to add rules like Nuzlocke...I appreciate the nostalgia callbacks, but we shouldn't have to make the games challenging on our own. They've shown they can do it with games like Platinum, BW(2), and SM (heck, supposedly the Ultras are considered the hardest games to locke)...

@Mr Spaz: Fair point, but it just feels off to me since we usually go much farther before it evolves. Maybe they should've changed the starter evos to 20/40?
...That actually makes so much more sense! I'm using that as my canon from now on, credit to you.
Question: I was originally going to say the Box Link was my favorite SwSh QOL upgrade, but since that was apparently actually introduced in Let's Go, I'm gonna go with rolling the Move Relearner/Move Deleter/Name Rater into one NPC you can find in any Pokémon Center. It's so much more convenient than having three different NPCs scattered all over the region, although admittedly having the relearner available so early is a little busted, especially since it's free.

We left off right outside the first mine.

f88v2EG.jpg

Shall we head in?

W6czbd9.jpg

These mines are really pretty.

j9Jv9dx.jpg

Somehow this Dugtrio lost one of its heads 😱
(Nah, it's just two Digletts.)

zT35ksG.jpg

Nice. Too bad we can't take all the gems too.

o5uvtIT.jpg

No encounter yet...

mopaf6c.jpg

More money!

g8QdSzv.jpg

And here's our encounter. I haven't used one of these much, so it could be interesting.

NZkq74F.jpg

Easy enough.

etBoqv3.jpg
P9hKRy7.jpg

Why 😔

ow70Z5r.jpg

For some reason I thought the whole line was part-Fire, but apparently that's not until it evolves.

EumW12b.jpg
5F7cFx4.jpg

Not bad. Although she won't be much help until after Nessa, she could come in handy later on.
(Named after the gym leader.)

USEh2GA.jpg

Doug washed another one away right after.

uKKu8Qo.jpg
tggh9ZS.jpg

I have absolutely no idea how you're supposed to reach that Carkol if you want to fight/catch it, because it's way too fast and vanishes before you can reach it.

YZpAGkH.jpg

Oh, really?

XyWPw5d.jpg

Why is your hair black but your beard gray? Or is that part of your helmet?

g5JgXbH.jpg

Good matchup.

After a Water Gun and a Tackle:

nPY9GNd.jpg

This could be risky, but I'm pretty sure another Water Gun will kill.

8qX1shl.jpg

...oh crap :ohdear:

yYJhjPZ.jpg

Thank goodness it didn't crit.

1wP4uE6.jpg

And done.

BLzXNeA.jpg

Apparently not.

o2zEPwV.jpg

Exactly how does a Roggenrola work with you? It doesn't have any limbs...

MIUWbPn.jpg

Healing Doug before continuing.

KosErv6.jpg

This isn't the way to progress, but there are some items worth grabbing.

6A62Ng1.jpg
F7KIzS3.jpg

Not sure if I showed this, but you can see an item up here from Route 3. This is how you get to it.

sVaxmC3.jpg

Eh, not great, especially since I have garbage luck with multi-hit moves.

JtXZmWG.jpg

Not that it matters since no one can learn it.

lPSgSIM.jpg

Back inside...

bUSpoJu.jpg

Much better find.

6eqdhbP.jpg
6mxeunC.jpg

Going deeper...

KzbHyYm.jpg

That should be obvious.

n4AXUPf.jpg

I appreciate them adding female miners/"workers".

LeYF5Cp.jpg

She really likes Timburr for some reason.

aalKi8w.jpg

This matchup isn't gonna work...

5XCFS3R.jpg

Better.

9FsRolq.jpg
wxFzYjf.jpg

Much better.

OTC6ua3.jpg
KRgIyzm.jpg

See what I mean about her really liking Timburr? Not that either of them could do anything to DJ either.

yaPiyKW.jpg
Xs9MMlK.jpg
KB7OpG7.jpg

These happened along the way. Doug also learned Protect, which could be handy, while June tried to learn Charm, but I skipped it for now.

wsFIotp.jpg

Honestly, I should probably be saying that to you.

sFKUNje.jpg

A very valid statement.

qHlXGpP.jpg

Another dead end, but maybe there will be more goodies on this side.

AM2tcAH.jpg

Ew. Why did SwSh feel the need to make so many crap moves TMs? I guess it's because most of the good moves are TRs instead?

faw59bh.jpg

Better.

0DfwuBa.jpg

Continuing on.

s6lXq9J.jpg

Ooh, that could be useful.

QalHx7Q.jpg
em90Xnu.jpg

Not sure how a Baltoy holds this, but okay. Also healing up before the next trainer.

1r6Mbec.jpg

Who said they weren't? 🤨

tilwIeB.jpg

Decided to give Candice some action. That chip damage could come in handy.

Cvoniuc.jpg

Should be easy.

CbigyIJ.jpg

Yep.

F1DRqOU.jpg

So should this, although why is Drilbur so dang cute 😭

zr0Sc73.jpg
2oaBmGD.jpg

So many things have Rapid Spin now. Also I'm not really sure why I didn't use Ice Shard again...variety, I guess? 🤷‍♂️

6DaPzT7.jpg
nnX5it1.jpg

...nevermind, the chip damage isn't really that helpful.

8oK2DIi.jpg

Oh well, an Ice Shard took it out and Candice got a level for it.

Zu0Rg0m.jpg

*backs away slowly*

UYfCBOU.jpg

This is a clear OSHA violation! Where are the rails on this bridge?
But at least you can see the bottom, even though you never explore it. But I hate to imagine falling from the bridge :ohdear:

O7MaTLj.jpg

Also you can fight one of the Woobats if you really want to.

3iow9kd.jpg

Not too much more to go.

ERDlksr.jpg

Nice.

PvaYC2i.jpg

Jeez, this game hands out Revives like candy. Too bad I can't use them...

tvZsyLB.jpg
tUi7AUv.jpg

Doug washed away another Rolycoly, which got Connor a level, not that he needed it.
*pouting*
Can you stop acting like an angsty teenager? Just because you have emo hair now doesn't mean you have to act like it.
*rolls eyes and huffs*
😔

PoZ5Z8z.jpg

Dude, there's literally an item three feet to your left.

YvviJNn.jpg

...That missing "L" bothers me a lot more than it should.

mFfMDze.jpg

At least these are no challenge for Doug. It helps that none of them have Steam Engine like the one I caught.

hcEMAZ3.jpg
ir0AwqL.jpg

Two hits and it was down. *eye twitches while I stifle another EXP Share rant*

X5V4GJM.jpg

I think having more than one Pokémon would have helped as well.

WbsRGC6.jpg

I guess that's valid.

F7EdbUN.jpg

What do these do?

LdpXUkE.jpg

Okay? Not sure how handy that is in single player, it sounds more like a good competitive item. *scowls at Stealth Rock*

aHDTGWj.jpg

Almost at the end. Remember when caves were super-long gauntlets full of trainers?

YBPINpS.jpg

Nice.

r4yGceJ.jpg

Although we have one more fight before we're through.

xc2v5fL.jpg

Dunno why, but Bede strikes me as the type who wouldn't want to be in a mine for fear of getting dirty.
Also, how do you pronounce his name? Is it "bead" or "bed-e" or "beady"? 🤔

7UrB1tV.jpg

Well, I kind of have to to progress, so...

fLf0UQ8.jpg

Ooh, I'm so scared.

o9kL5cF.jpg

It'd be funny if I could just go around him though.

Y6xC35Q.jpg

Unfortunately, cutscene triggers exist. *dramatic hair flip*

h0e4Ooc.jpg

Maybe?

vA7GOUn.jpg

Are you jealous?

YOAyrio.jpg
vmTvlfl.jpg

You are so pretentious it's not even funny.

sbu9kDd.jpg

Like, if you're gonna be an arrogant fuck, you at least better be able to back up your talk. This guy can't.

MpPklO2.jpg

Bring it.

vMtS5Dh.jpg

This could actually be dangerous though-105 SpA is scary at this point.

R5h04Sq.jpg

However, it's also slow and pretty frail.

1sfdrj6.jpg

Good start.

3TaXsbs.jpg

Oh really? 😒

TvZHbKQ.jpg
JZg9csa.jpg

Not too bad.

LCUFBCb.jpg
4ECt4Hi.jpg

Another Bite took it down, and Doug got a level for the effort.

09QWRdQ.jpg

This should be easy.

PUoWmyL.jpg

"Spam Bite" is a very effective strategy for this fight.

IGFnZwi.jpg

It responded with Tickle, so it barely survives a second hit...

A07Pbpi.jpg

But then it just Tickled me again.

geXX0AO.jpg

And a third Bite takes it down.

MBiQrrs.jpg

I should be saying that to you.

mmLZfeu.jpg

But since Doug's at -2 Attack and Defense, I decided to switch to Connor.

Akh9fhu.jpg

He really does attack with water balloons! 😆

Svgdx5i.jpg

That's nice, but I never see opponents hit themselves, so it's not really relevant...

qIdyQyF.jpg

😲
I am shocked!

3JbCpf4.jpg

Obviously another Water Pulse took it down.

cTW1x4p.jpg

*chirps while holding a water balloon*
Sure, go ahead and throw it at him.
*excited chirp*

pFULsCE.jpg

Clearly not, considering you attacked exactly once in that fight.

aBjB5sA.jpg

That and you just suck.

grm6fcH.jpg

And it'll be totally different next fight, just to spite you :V:

DuByBV3.jpg

Oh, so now it wasn't a real match? Somebody can't accept losing.

2tNAAeZ.jpg

The feeling's mutual.

pViEuEI.jpg

Why?
*he leaves*
Surely that won't be important later...

PaXzFZa.jpg

I really wish this had been a Wishing Star just to make him look stupid.

tfPkcH1.jpg

And we're through the mine.

CEfxuos.jpg
raUP5Qm.jpg

Not really needed, but at least it makes more sense than having one at the entrance of the mine.

fWjnHYW.jpg

Yes, I can see the stadium from here. This seems like a good place to stop.

I didn't actually take a normal teamshot this time, so I'm just gonna sub this one from the end of the Bede fight:
Kmap5j7.jpg
Next time, we head through Route 4 to Turffield.
Question of the update: do you prefer jerk rivals like Bede or overly nice rivals like Hop?

Mr Spaz

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
  3. Flying
  4. Psychic
I like the jerk rivals like Bede because I can feel good about repeatedly crushing his dreams every time we battle. Doesn't feel as good when you think about defeating your friends that way.

Also, if you really wanted that Carkol, go in from the exit where you got that Rock Blast TM and just follow the tracks back to the entrance. It'll ram right into you.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Oh man, Heavy-Duty Boots. It's true that they're going to be practically useless for an in-game playthrough, but it's insane how much they shook up the competitive scene. They're as popular as Leftovers now, which for a very long time was practically the default item.

I don't think I've ever heard this Bede's name pronounced in a canon source, but I'd be willing to bet it's just "bead." That's the only way I've ever heard the name said in any other circumstance.

As for the rival question, can I say somewhere in the middle? A friendly rival like Hau or Hop (can't believe how uncreative Game Freak was as to even give them practically the same name) hardly counts as a rival imo, but if the character's personality is completely static all the way through, that's no good regardless of what the personality is. I think it makes more sense and is better for the story to have a jerk rival, but they need to come around a little bit, at least to the point of respecting your strength. Blue and Silver were good in that regard. I actually think my all-time favorite rival might be Hugh (and trust me, I don't usually enjoy saying nice things about Gen V). The cool thing about Hugh is that he's similar in many ways to a jerk rival, but the jerkiness isn't directed at the player.

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I kinda like the in-between rivals as characters, like Barry or Hugh. They feel like they're actively competing with you. Beating up the nice rivals makes me feel bad. It's nice to stomp the jerk rivals into the ground, but they're also just too dislikable for me to feel any sort of sympathy for. And then there's just the Kalos rivals... What even were they? Totally irrelevant characters?

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
QOTU: I def. prefer more antagonistic Rivals like Blue or Silver. they've always been more interesting compared to the friendly ones. Especially if you can use their rude tendencies to build on their character as a whole instead of letting it go in a completely different direction last minute. Thanks alot bede >_>

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
I'd love to see you use a Rolycoly if you get the chance!

Pretty sure it is pronounced Bead. *checks. Yeah that seems to be right.

Umm, probably jerk rivals? Though it honestly doesn't have to be this way, it just happens that those were my favorite so far. As many mentioned before me Silver and Blue are two great rival. probably my two favorites. However I think Hau and Hop are also pretty ok, though they can be a bit annoying at times. Heck, I'm even a Hugh fan. But dear god Trace is horrible... So it really depends, a rival doesn't have to be a jerk to be good, but it does have to feel like a realistic person with a realistic goal and an interesting growing connection with your character, with a few bonus points for having some sort of competition with the protagonist.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we explore Route 4 and head into Turffield.
@Mr Spaz: That's a good point, especially with nice rivals like Serena. I think she's the one I feel most bad about beating...
...Oh, that's how? Makes a lot of sense, and gives that side path a little more use.

@ActiveTransport: I had a feeling they blew up the competitive scene, since 90% of new stuff nowadays barely impacts single-player while rocking the comp world.
"Bead" seems to be the popular pronunciation-been looking up a few runs on Youtube and they all seem to go with it. Then again, people on YT aren't exactly the authority...
I agree-rivals need some kind of development or they're literally pointless. I have to give Hop some credit-he actually has kind of a decent arc later in the game (after the third badge). And I'm glad someone appreciates Hugh-I always thought he was overhated.
...now I'm curious-which games are your favorite?

@Kit_The_Feef: Good points all around, although I don't know if I'd call Barry middle of the road...and yeah, the Kalos "rivals" are trash. Trevor and Tierno could've been cut without any impact, and honestly Shauna can go too, although if they were gone maybe they could've made her a little more interesting.

@REDalchemist: I have to agree that jerk rivals tend to be more interesting...and now I'm curious what Bede caused that made you have to redo your plans for him 👀. Is this in your current run or a different one?

@RubyClaw: I'll probably bring her on board after Nessa-another Kabu counter is always great. Especially since she has the more interesting (although probably less useful?) ability.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with "bead" as well after seeing some runs on Youtube.
Good points for both sides! And I'm glad other people appreciate Hugh, although which one is Trace-is he from Let's Go? I think I've heard he's annoyingly nice but I haven't really seen much of him/that game.
Question: it depends on how nice/jerkish the rivals are. I can't stand asshole rivals like Silver/Bede whose whole character is "being a jerk" and whatever development they might get is too abrupt to be realistic (although it feels good to stomp them over and over), but at the same time overly nice rivals (Hau/Hop) are just annoying AF (and not really satisfying to beat). Bianca and Hugh were better in that aspect since they both actually have development over the game (although Hugh isn't really a jerk). Blue/Gary/whatever is probably a better example of a jerk rival who has some development.
We left off having just exited the Galar mine.

99l8ICZ.jpg

Not too much farther to the first gym fight. But I made a quick team change first:

Z3Tg33g.jpg

I decided I wanted to give Karen a shot. Hopefully she won't screech at me demanding to talk to the manager...oh wait since I'm the trainer, I guess that makes me the manager :v:

Anyway:

OoeIX7Z.jpg
Wxh5irz.jpg

Maybe later, although I still feel like this could be an invasion of privacy...

ICh1F8c.jpg

Bleh.

x19GBDh.jpg
eyzqoXw.jpg

Better.

r0XqhfN.jpg

Very nice! Also I'm being chased by an electric dog...will it be my encounter?

KJmlfwY.jpg

I don't want these, game 😒
As for the Electrike, while it's actually one of my favorite lines, I kind of want to see if I get something else instead, so I managed to avoid it.

XUrtZnB.jpg

...seriously? :facepalm:

XXBfJef.jpg

That on the other hand is quite nice!

VZNfMJK.jpg

That should help him counter the bad nature.

OzIb6Yi.jpg

...I guess I'm getting one after all. Not complaining though.

lJqMa9V.jpg

Let's see how she handles it.

DiHTsNZ.jpg

Acid Spray's guaranteed -2 SpDef this early on is quite strong.

XAntpGD.jpg

You would do that 🙄

siMnue4.jpg

I think it Leered after I attacked again.

Jp8TpVV.jpg

Nice!

hMJlOvE.jpg
84egT87.jpg

(Named after my cat, since she acts more like a dog than a cat tbh and she has the perfect name for an Electric-type.)
1Wtfv0o.jpg
Of course she has a crap nature :c
But I think she could still be handy later on. Just have to be extra careful for obvious reasons...

mpkF1Oo.jpg

Let me guess, a battle?

fxhlx8X.jpg

*fake gasp*
Also, that spelling bothers me a lot and I don't know why.

LUdh3Ht.jpg

Speaking of cats...

j9O5FkQ.jpg

Why did Meowth get a third form? There are lots of other Pokémon who would've liked one.
Also, this is a bad matchup.

a5lYX7W.jpg

Better.

s0aLgj0.jpg

Much better.

ty1bKbE.jpg

Not gonna help you since I'm using a special move~

pfVxjRk.jpg

Letting everyone get some action.

4RRRXcG.jpg

This was one Pluck...my bird is so strong now 🥺
*happy tweet*

pRVxHNU.jpg

Ooh, this might actually be a challenge.

zQPpZ2B.jpg

Good start.

50wBW6H.jpg

Whyyyyyy.

JeY75Mv.jpg

Good girl!

AQgiDkr.jpg

One more...

HasQFWv.jpg

You ass 😠

EfncUjy.jpg

Kristin's doing great at avoiding confusion though.

Itb84oE.jpg

I hope you don't have another Potion...

zO8L1M5.jpg

Not that it would've mattered.
*happy yip*

ywmK31M.jpg

...*eye twitches violently*
Honestly I kind of wish Candice would've leveled too just for the sheer ridiculousness of it.

t7T94qk.jpg
CvsaJsV.jpg

At least the stat increases are nice, but this is so dumb.

VhHxF76.jpg

At least Karen got something to put over Fury Swipes though.

wAQv2IS.jpg
PkV948w.jpg

And these two are getting close to evolving.

GcpJKhF.jpg

They aren't bad, but you have a terrible Fire weakness.

iFYL25o.jpg

That just sounds like a good way to get fat.

zfF9bRI.jpg

Then I decided to give Karen this for the Dark STAB. Now if I can just get Night Slash and the Eviolite she'll be almost as bad as Jupiter's...speaking of, I wonder how she is in the remakes? I saw she has Flamethrower now...

oG9HF5W.jpg

I also gave Connor Swift so he has another move to use that SpA for.
*huffs*
Will you stop that! I am not in the mood for angsty teenager BS.

Anyway, back to trainer fights.

Pyr7AXl.jpg

Not really, mainly because your face sticks out. Not a bad Halloween costume though.

7qwNxNo.jpg

One guess what 'mon he has.

geImxtO.jpg

Yeah, that surprises no one.

h5mLnMr.jpg

Oh, you want to be annoying?

rF7wrwO.jpg

Too bad for you, that went exactly as planned. *pushes glasses up face dramatically*

GVRrjOu.jpg

Nice! So far Karen's impressing me.

ziJxCbS.jpg

This was inevitable after that Butterfree.

cInAKHc.jpg

2/10 terrible impression.

I9EAywo.jpg
ftgv1cS.jpg

More nice finds, although I'm assuming the Cleanse tag doesn't work against visible encounters.
Speaking of, although I wouldn't mind using a Pumpkaboo sometime, since I can't trade, not in this run.
*quickly double-checks just to make sure it's a trade evo*
Nope, it's out.

OvoEMqC.jpg

You are nowhere near 50!

MxnEhg6.jpg

Seriously, I think my character is older than you, and he's supposed to be maybe 14?

ITOJ5PE.jpg

Crap, I forgot to heal that...

1BlWlxq.jpg

(It Tackled while I healed.)
I wonder if I can go for Payback again?

v3wMk7s.jpg
rPq5kcL.jpg

Ha, right into my trap!

QRjwJNE.jpg

You better not heal...

hPTwZnd.jpg

You fuckhead. Luckily I have another plan...

IHmVsnt.jpg

*screeching noises*
Acid Spray, AKA Karens shrieking.

DxakfWl.jpg

And done.

MKNISdi.jpg

May as well let her handle this too.

hzl2T4f.jpg

Nice.

AUwPnX4.jpg

Yeah, healing 2 HP is really gonna save you.

vBOaQ2L.jpg

Thanks for the level.

IBXxb9p.jpg

...that makes more sense.

4no7Mye.jpg

Very true. But you shouldn't lose heart.

WB11wnP.jpg
GRqadsk.jpg

Meh.

d3iRPKI.jpg

Better, although I don't really have any use for it yet.

rrjPtcV.jpg

I wonder when Electrike learns an Electric move in this gen?

eeif5YD.jpg

I checked after catching Stormy, and apparently it's at 16. I would complain, but that's only two levels, and as much as I bitch about the Exp Share, it would help her get there fast.

pIDJRjH.jpg

It was a glowing encounter too, so I got some Watts out of it.

O6HFW3z.jpg

Could be handy, although setting up is always a little risky.

sVv82dY.jpg

Why would you say that?

63usUhy.jpg

Let me guess, you have an Eevee?

bqjvSKe.jpg

Oh. Bleh, get that out of my face.

vRxegSP.jpg

*more screeching*
Calm down, Karen. It's not that serious.

6ZgGGU4.jpg

Good start, and luckily it derped rather than attack.

73RvjU6.jpg

And done.

oAJfm9M.jpg

That is a creepy way to reach to losing o_o

F8lzFMx.jpg

If you say so...

NR74QJs.jpg

Maybe you have an Eevee?

Cf2pciw.jpg

Yep, there it is.

oUAKlKG.jpg

Ugh, don't be annoying.

VpfcbJ7.jpg

This was a misclick, but I wonder if it might come in handy?

After a Quick Attack and a Payback:

ndnWwrS.jpg

Not bad so far.

GJnh5kr.jpg

It went down after a couple of Acid Sprays and another Quick Attack.

mb6p74s.jpg

I swapped Connor out again, because I'm trying to stay under the gym level (20). Might make that an official rule later...

EnZ07c0.jpg

Downhearted? If you say so.

3caSuIr.jpg

Quick heal just to be safe.

KzAukFs.jpg

Wonder how viable a no shopping run would be in these games? Seems like they hand out a lot of items.

6wC4WYZ.jpg

🙄

BbAKjlo.jpg

Not a Pikachu, but at least it's the right type. Also, that's another name I don't care for tbh.

ooSXDez.jpg

Dang it, I don't want to be faster.

couLVH8.jpg

(Electroweb)
Oh, thanks!

CUk4hZU.jpg

(String Shot)
This thing really wants to lower my Speed, which works out for me.

tHIod81.jpg

Although I got a little worried when it used this again. I think I had it confused with Electro Ball.

cRNhNve.jpg

Another Payback took it out, but Karen was a little too low for my liking, plus Kristin has a better matchup.

oxbvFiY.jpg

After an Ember and a Vise Grip, things are going smoothly.

ktqqhXN.jpg

And done.

LCova1Y.jpg
LUcRvAk.jpg

*grumbles*
But that's a big level for Edgar. Also, I guess I should decide which HItmon to make Rocky evolve into, or should I just go ahead and settle on Lee since his stats line up for it best?

yoRM6YM.jpg

You and that girl are copying each other.

il9TLYb.jpg

❗

CQp3ZFR.jpg

Bigger bird! He should be a lot stronger now.

99O3itW.jpg

I wish this was a thing in-game. How cool would it be to have him use Rock Throw or...all the moves I can think of that might use rope are crap (Bind, Constrict, Wrap), but that could be cool too.

tdTwIyf.jpg

I don't think you can do that. Although I do wonder what it's like inside a ball.

rD81FcI.jpg

Ehh...it could be useful? Probably not though...also, remember back when it was basically the only Bug-type move worth using?

6fdLUdy.jpg

Again with the Wooloo nonsense? 😬

CfDlWyB.jpg

It's trying to escape!

mWY6QKY.jpg

*Mario 64 Oomph*

jkEELV2.jpg

Well, considering it's not that heavy (13 pounds) and covered in wool, I doubt it was all that strong.

crNwV3O.jpg

You get a Yes/No after this, so I said no because I thought it'd be funny.

FiJGhpL.jpg

Although I doubt you could pull one over on them, since they were there.

49RJony.jpg
lcNaDS7.jpg

Nice to meet you. Unfortunately, my team is pretty stacked against Grass-types.

F6KmQVr.jpg

Well, I think I'm pretty decent. Hop on the other hand...😐

ojivGsB.jpg

I can see it. Even Leon can hopefully get there from here.

fKlraE3.jpg

I'm sure you can get by without one...

OKxQWQP.jpg

Can't use it.

PqVxDyv.jpg

And we're here.

oyrDQjx.jpg

Why do you have to be blocking the Pokémon center? ☹️

9riGBe0.jpg

What do you want?

z6Bl8Z7.jpg

No, really?

67K4fr8.jpg

Good, that means you have to wait.

l7DEV39.jpg

Oh, good. Someone more interesting than you.

hRRpouQ.jpg

Because you're dumb?
...okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh.

kxuMnZy.jpg

*snort*
No, actually I don't know that hill :v:

Nnfu4IR.jpg
FLiYKWi.jpg

Works for me. But let me heal up first.

tleYUXd.jpg

Haven't we established that Rose basically owns Galar?

nKfTWvq.jpg
4X5hooE.jpg

So this is a daily occurrence? That must get annoying.

S49qXJU.jpg

You don't already have one? I would assume you'd have shirts or hats...

aoUBwTj.jpg
HTy4nqT.jpg

Healing and restocking. Also sold all the herbal medicine and Revives, so I left with like $7K more than I walked in with.

YVuRKej.jpg

Makes sense. This is why it's always important to maintain your car.

What happens if I try to leave rather than see what Sonia wants?

vsY7vBM.jpg
ADYrIPd.jpg

It looks fine to me, but if you say so...they could've at least made it look damaged or otherwise blocked.

So what if I go to the stadium?

ZrHN4SG.jpg

Does that mean only one challenger is allowed in at a time? I guess that makes sense, given the gym missions and stuff.

DQd1LBA.jpg

So he's like a male Erika?

9jAVban.jpg

That seems like it could be both cute and annoying.

9v2rvVn.jpg

I hate finding these in a Nuzlocke, since they're so rare that selling them feels like a crime.

WcHZ62A.jpg

Pretty sure I could find it without Yamper, but I can't blame him for the game doing this.

6sgfjVX.jpg
zokNZ29.jpg

What's wrong with seeing it twice if the view is that amazing?

1LmIwxu.jpg

👀

Je3JUyV.jpg
0nlOxYw.jpg

Of course nothing compares to seeing something in person, but a picture is almost as nice, especially if you can't actually go. Honestly the picture is better for memories.

RPNSIo8.jpg

!!!
I didn't think I'd find one of these this soon! Perfect gift for Johanna.
But when should I give it to her? The relearner can teach her anything she'd miss, but I feel like evolving her already would be kind of busted...so I'm thinking around 30-35? Let me know what you think.

qL17jzK.jpg
qIxZRKR.jpg

Good question. Maybe both?

4kgmfpV.jpg

Cool.

4Yb4WqH.jpg

And there she is.

9NSTZgm.jpg

I still say I could've found it on my own, but again, not Yamper's fault.

DbbHou2.jpg

About what? The big drawing behind you?

DWWielA.jpg

What the heck is that? It looks like a triangle with a TV antenna sticking out of the side, and a whole bunch of tiny people having a party around it, along with some kind of storm cloud...I don't get it :psyduck:

WaKHs0x.jpg

See my above comment. Also, neither of those options really seem fitting...I'll go with Dynamax though since the triangle is so big compared to everything else.

dTtaoFc.jpg

No Pokémon I've ever seen.

8IFlNw6.jpg
PbloOFg.jpg

The glyph is 3000 years old? I wonder how it's lasted so long?
Also, the games have a weird insistence on having things happen 3000 years in the past. Kalos's great war is supposed to be 3000 years in the past...coincidence? 🤔

oxTKgDb.jpg

We know that.

9JZukXv.jpg
CyoRjt4.jpg

Valid question. I feel like this would've been a good place to add more details, instead of cramming it all in at the end of the game, but that's a topic for later on.

KRJAu4C.jpg

At least it gives you something to do.

pWkpzWG.jpg

...what. That is such a weird way to say thank you.

8Qgwvmz.jpg

And I have both of those, as well as Poison and Ice. This will be easy.

gBdvOim.jpg

Some Potions?

hpJLNJG.jpg

...thanks, but this is a Nuzlocke 😐

lRtOOIe.jpg

Honestly, same-I'd much rather be Stonehenge instead of a Greedent.

XmsqVH6.jpg

I liked the one in Pastoria better since it had an Easter egg where a Croagunk occasionally appeared. I wonder if they kept that in BDSP?

szGrqR0.jpg
IHp3bOl.jpg

I wonder the same thing, but it's not worth losing sleep over.

LO37Lyc.jpg
Q3rleLJ.jpg

I figured that was obvious, since this is a Pokémon game :v:

hs2D2n9.jpg

Not as useful as it used to be since it only heals 30 HP, but could still be handy.

Lre6cMM.jpg
MD6l1nm.jpg

This is actually a pretty cryptic riddle, because it's worded really strangely.

dIpYZhD.jpg
ItUAWf6.jpg

The way it's worded and the actual solution don't really seem like they line up.

2v4pJVY.jpg
vrQtX6w.jpg
q0696e8.jpg

See, after you talk to her, you can see types written on some of the stones. A bunch of them are red herrings that aren't involved in the puzzle.

gYdKBiD.jpg
lE8M4Vg.jpg
mve9xvI.jpg

What you actually want to do is check the Grass stone, then Water, then Fire. But I feel like the way the puzzle's worded implies checking Grass -> Fire (its strength) -> Water (strength of its strength). Maybe I'm misinterpreting it?

dPM5jkV.jpg

Anyway, checking Grass -> Water -> Fire gets you this, which is a pretty solid find.

PfVoQVD.jpg

It also impresses the girl.

ePRqYk0.jpg
lgnLAAU.jpg

While wandering around checking stones, I also found these. Although I don't know why you'd want an Everstone, it seems pointless. The TM could be useful though.

Now to the stadium!

Hk3awrc.jpg

What now?

qfF3grK.jpg

You little shit! You freaking set me up with all that Sonia nonsense! 😡

f9VPE7U.jpg

This line makes no sense on a first playthrough, but it's fine on a second.

nvkBHne.jpg

More like because I have four counters to Grass, because I'm too strong to be your rival.

QdDTYcr.jpg
szrNosz.jpg

So losing doesn't mean you're out of the challenge? It just depends on how far you get within a year? Good to know, although hopefully it won't take nearly that long...

This seems like a good place to stop.

LgkJSyJ.jpg
Next time, we take on the first gym.
Question of the update: what's your opinion on Dynamax? Love, hate, neutral?

Last edited:

Mr Spaz

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
  3. Flying
  4. Psychic
QOTU: Dynamax is both broken and boring af and should not come back

I still subscribe to the theory that the Geoglyph depicts Gigantamax (or possibly regular) Melmetal and the little figures around it are Meltans.

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
I hate Dynamax, it's stupid and killed a lot of Pokemon in my own Sword nuzlocke. (I banned Dynamax and healing items in battle for that run. Total disaster.) I also just think it's a dumb gimmick. Pokemon just get beeg.

Malochroma

Pokemon Breeder
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
A Pokemon breeder from Kalos, this young fellow survives his job on a diet of caffeine and sheer hardheadedness.
On Dynamax, it.... depends. The way Max Moves work (their special/physical typing and Power Level being based on the move specifically) did require a big of thought and fun research to navigate and brought some fun surprises, and the secondary effects aren't bad -- it's always fun to end a fight with Max Rockfall and kick up a sandstorm. Very epic. And I'm never going to pretend that GMax Lapras's design isn't amazing and I'm glad for its existence.

But structurally it's just Less Interesting Mega Evolution with some Z Move gimmicks tacked onto it, but without any of the Ability/stats planning that goes into Mega Evo strats. I don't hate it the way others do, but if my blood starts pumping when a Gym Leader busts out their GMax Pokemon, it's because the soundtrack supporting the mechanic slaps, not the mechanic.

TL;DR I don't hate it but it's not super exciting. Just kinda there.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
My favorite games are HGSS! Platinum was also enjoyable, and I like XY and ORAS much better than most people seem to.

Unfortunately, Nuzleaf's level-up moveset is nothing too exciting. Unless you want to wait until Level 43 purely for the novelty of Extrasensory, I think you can evolve Johanna whenever you like.

QOTU: Dynamax is both broken and boring af and should not come back

I still subscribe to the theory that the Geoglyph depicts Gigantamax (or possibly regular) Melmetal and the little figures around it are Meltans.
Couldn't put it better myself. I agree with both of these...although I can't help pretending sometimes that the geoglyph is actually Kecleon. Look at its head.

@Malochroma Also has a good point about Dynamaxing seeming to rip off both Mega Evolution and Z-moves simultaneously. Really just not a good idea overall.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Stormy (the cat) is adorable!

About the early LeafStone/move reminder, yeah Galar pretty much busted the game with this combo and made the timing of evolving pokemon a non-issue which is a rael shame if you ask me. Still, honestly, just go for it and evolve her now in my opinion.

Dynamaxing is meh. I mean I hate the fact Game Freak keeps coming up with new gimmicks instead of improving older concepts (Gen 4 is a great example of how it should be done if you ask me, adding evolutions to older pokemon, creating the Special/Physical split, and mainly just perfecting old concepts with new twists). But as a Gimmick compared to other ones introduced lately? I guess it is ok. I get the appeal of giant pokemon battles, I think they should have added more lore and backstory to it, but as a concept/mechanism its ok, nothing special, kind of fun, and I don't hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread