• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
An overly snarky trip through Galar (Updated 11/28)

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
I dont think there's a character I dislike in SwSh (aside from Rose but that's more a disappointed frustration) but my favorite has gotta be Hop. Apparently my tolerance for hyperactive characters is way higher than most and I really enjoy his arc during the main and post game. Just wish he had a better team overall really.

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
Nice wrangles in the wild area there. Especially that Minccino who I barely see get used too often.

Q&A: Easily hands down has to go to Kabu. He's the most interesting of all the Gym Leaders and I'll forever believe the absolute headcanon (for now) that he's Flannerys supposed top tier grandpa who ran the lavaridge gym before she took over. (Anime has someone else as flannerys grandpa but obviously isn't canon to the game)

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Very solid early team! All great pokemon, and very versatile catches over all.

Unpopular opinion: original Ninetales > A-Ninetales. Both Vulpixes are pretty even though.

I used to think differently but these days I agree, still both are some of my all time favorite pokemon! (Still working on that list :P).

Yeah, feel free to wine about, I also really hate the Exp Share
and am quite worried that it will return for BDSP as some have suggested.

Favorite SwSh character? Hmm. Leon is great, Sonia is fun, Rose has so much potential but they sort of screwed his story with his unrealistic world ending phobia, and Raihan has style. My favorite though must be Kabu, my favorite gym leader of all time.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
  3. Flying
  4. Psychic
My personal rule with Max Raid Encounters in Nuzlockes is that you get 5 total, 1 for each difficulty (1*, 2*, etc.)

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today we explore Motostoke and register for the gym challenge.
@Kit_The_Feef: I have to admit, Opal is surprisingly funny. The scene where she basically kidnaps Bede is the best (especially when she just RUNS at him despite being so slow normally).
Leon is pretty cool too, but the way Galar worships him like a cult leader is kind of creepy.
Is it? Every Jr. I know if is a male...
*Googles*
Huh, you're right it is neutral.

@Memento: Oh I'm not complaining about a potential Hitmonlee, was just hoping for Chan's versatility. Wouldn't mind trading June though, at least for one with a better ability...
O_O that is a lot of story ideas! I thought I had a lot, but holy crap. How do you keep up with them?
Sonia is definitely relatable-it's kind of nice to have a character who isn't so sure about what they want to do (like Bianca in the later part of BW).

@LucarioOfLegends: Yeah, overall the cast is pretty solid, but Rose's motivation in the end is a giant WTF. Were you the one who posted a rewrite of the late-game in Unpopular Opinions? It was really well-done.
I don't mind Hop as much as it might sound, especially since he actually has an arc unlike Hau. But yeah, he could use a better team (stop leading with the dang Dubwool!)

@REDalchemist: They're pretty solid, although I can't guarantee June will stick around...we'll see.
Kabu is definitely one of the coolest leaders. I subscribe to the same canon regarding him being Flannery's grandfather. Also game canon > anime canon.

@RubyClaw: I just wish A-Ninetales wasn't part-Fairy, then I'd like it as much as the original (Ice/Psychic or Ice/Ghost would've been better). Can't wait for that list c:
I'm really hoping they don't bring the perma-Exp Share back for BDSP, although there are a couple areas it wouldn't be as bad for (if they borrow the levels from DP-that end game grind in particular was just awful).
All great choices! But I had a feeling you'd say Kabu since I remembered you liked him a lot in your run.

@Mr Spaz: That's a solid rule, I may borrow it since I'm still not sure how I'm gonna handle them.
Question: there are quite a few characters I like: Leon is cool, and he likes Charizard which is an automatic plus. Sonia is honestly relatable in terms of being stuck in life, and Kabu, Piers, and Raihan are all cool and likable gym leaders (bonus points to Piers for finally being a Dark gym leader).
Slld0Zo.jpg

Motostoke is a nice place.

6AqEE09.jpg
WC7c7r4.jpg

It could use a good cleaning, though...

zeByYJ5.jpg

Fancy.

So I had a brain fart and forgot to screenshot the first bit after getting in-basically where Sonia drags you to the Pokémon Center and talks about League Cards. Which are a cool feature, although I enjoy it more for learning about other characters instead of making my own.

Anyway, before I met up with Sonia again, I went back to the center.

HuZhov8.jpg

Interesting, but I'm not too concerned right now, since it won't be able to evolve unless I buy the DLC for Sword (I bought it for Shield already). Has anyone tried G-Slowpoke or its evos, are they good?

CiJespT.jpg

At least it's an even trade, but I'll pass. Especially since I don't have one.

DDoFZRn.jpg

...Seriously? You're surprised by that?

ci9zisz.jpg

Well duh, except for nowadays on the first couple routes where they inexplicably can't escape.

NQgfkTj.jpg

First Rotomdex, then Rotom phones, now this...I feel like Rotoms are gonna take over the Pokémon world 😱
(Could make an interesting movie plot-like a ghost version of the Terminator series or the Matrix...)

wIb2Bb3.jpg

Moving on. Before we follow the plot, what's over here?

rYgquDJ.jpg

Cute.

mp4M3mW.jpg

Nice, free money!

nz6JEiZ.jpg

I feel like that would get boing really fast.

sMM0D07.jpg

It's all right.

64mDmlK.jpg

Not sure, but Coumarine in Kalos has a monorail between its two sides. Or was it Couriway? I always get them mixed up...

They wouldn't let me by, so I guess we have to go back to the plot.

eI1FJfO.jpg
GZ7s7oS.jpg

No, I already forgot 😒

0B5w8vD.jpg

Where else would it be?

RbHj2gq.jpg

Okay, but please stop talking like a 14-year-old girl.

iCPWg7i.jpg

Have fun.

CV1OvcB.jpg

It is decently large.

ouquffu.jpg
DnQ4zVZ.jpg

Again, this is starting to sound hivemindish...

CQobfHT.jpg
4hxhdTw.jpg

I guess? Given what we find out about Dynamaxing later, not really?

kw9bKOX.jpg

I just want to say hi to it, and see if mine is interested.

YtC0FEm.jpg

I never really understood the whole "steampunk" aesthetic or why it became popular.

GziMFTc.jpg

I would hope not, or that'd be a weird way to disadvantage yourself. Also, what's the point of the target? Is it just an aesthetic addition or does it actually have a purpose?
Found an extra Poké Ball next to it, though.

wBBsukK.jpg

Join it where? In the fountain/birdbath-looking things?

tQZ0ks7.jpg

PMD reference?

WIbsgHi.jpg
ojgPBIv.jpg

That's not a very nice thing to say about your husband.

zueQxj9.jpg
uCvSzUM.jpg

I prefer in-person shopping, even after the pandemic. Partially because I only use cash, although sometimes I'll buy a gift card if I see something I really want that's online-only (especially around Christmas.)

gWwTp6t.jpg

Isn't that the whole point?

nLwoDlO.jpg

He is pretty cool.

X6SXSmI.jpg
NFXOxPN.jpg

Are you calling your dad old? I had Kabu pegged at 50-ish...

VlljtVh.jpg

How did a Pokémon help with coffee?

ptSr1i5.jpg

So Hoothoot really does have two feet! 😲

Wl2L6xS.jpg

Same. I prefer sweet or savory flavors.

af0Ge5h.jpg
S0ufn2u.jpg

So I'm not the only one who thinks it's fugly?

s7xBP41.jpg
6zUdSPT.jpg

May as well. I won't be doing the one in Hammerlocke, though-that is a death trap waiting to happen (Level 37s when your team is probably low 30s? Seriously?)

7mYSKnZ.jpg

Not a good matchup. Kristin, do you want to burn it?
*happy yip*

wOHys8U.jpg

Good girl.

M8Kftd8.jpg

More like burnt honey, but it could've been worse.

fVqIYzn.jpg

...No, it really wasn't.

ZdqJCkT.jpg

Good prize, though.

63ZgK3Y.jpg

This makes it sound like you can buy TMs/TRs here, but apparently it's just decoration.

ylaqQ80.jpg

Ew, no thanks.

30tFoRe.jpg

I do like the idea behind TRs though. It's a nice reference to the old days when you had to choose who got what great TM. Bonus points for making some of them reobtainable through Max Raids.
(I haven't heard whether BDSP will have the same system or not. ORAS had reusable TMs, so surely it'll be the same, right? I really hope so...)

zdIAdBD.jpg

I love how no one bats an eye at having a 30-foot-long rock snake out in the middle of the street.

m7Q1Hd0.jpg
KOEBgoz.jpg

But at least he's friendly. Apparently Onix doesn't have teeth, though?

s5zgZET.jpg

What do you think of it compared to the island challenge?

uDTsDdm.jpg

Yoink.

EByPDHv.jpg

Honestly, I can't decide either.

Fi3Qzz0.jpg

Plus you'd be copying them.

WzKxQWQ.jpg

A library?

jZ0O65L.jpg

That doesn't surprise me. At least it's gym leaders and not shitty unimportant "celebrities" 😒

byCfiZN.jpg

Okay? What even are they?

NbZ28T6.jpg

Seriously, what do these do? This is my second playthrough and I still don't know...

x6j9f1H.jpg

That doesn't answer my question.

KLoudJf.jpg

Maybe a little too much... *foreshadowing*

2yFSWT4.jpg

Talk about a powerful man.

oBWgrvp.jpg

The marvels of human technology. Just think-only 125 years ago there was no way to travel by air, and now we're sending people into space.

ew4UPqw.jpg

Although it's a little different in the Pokémon world :v:

zEnNxqC.jpg

Not bad.

5DPK9vx.jpg

!!!
That sounds like best Pokémon!

tQ1bOr4.jpg

Do you want to come with me? 🥺
I think that'd make things way too easy for you.
...Fair enough.

Ax4wYMu.jpg

How exactly did you became champ if you have to rely on Zard for directions? .__.

4e83WRQ.jpg

HOW? :psyduck:
I've heard of people being directionally challenged, but this is ridiculous!
You have no idea.

pGNBb5g.jpg

I appreciate that. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Hop got eaten in the Wild Area, so...

1fvuvjJ.jpg

What is it?

V4mEeGA.jpg

Oh, nice! Connor will appreciate this.
*curious chirp*

pr7nJYq.jpg

👍

3HSukdZ.jpg

*elevator ding*
Going up~

iNE66QH.jpg

That lift goes much faster than you'd expect.

Darn it, Hop didn't get eaten. Which means time to look around a little before advancing the plot.

UmQLiPf.jpg

Hello bird!
I thought it was funny that your character immediately turns around as soon as it shrieks, although I guess at this point a Corviknight would be intimidating to a new trainer...

NAJFoHl.jpg

At least this isn't a stupid roadblock like some of BW2's...and I say that as a huge BW2 fan.

AuokE3O.jpg

This one's a little silly, though.

TEPESRT.jpg

To show off?

45UBnmB.jpg

I wouldn't mind watching one, but the only ones we get to see are the ones we take part in...

4L149QJ.jpg

I would hope so, since that's kind of the point.

obLaO4q.jpg

Depends on how big they are.

e2h3RY0.jpg

This character is so weird, but so earnest it becomes kind of endearing. Free stuff is always nice, too.

g4KmfFZ.jpg

But what if you're a girl? (Which is possible, according to their League Card in the postgame.)

lJzPZKP.jpg

I'm more surprised you made it, honestly.

CDPM6it.jpg

Nooooo, I hate being watched :ohdear:

az65T1R.jpg

Maybe you should go home then.

c6RQ9DO.jpg

Fair enough, I suppose.

kIQHcDa.jpg

I'm not using my real name, though.

nvzWqeB.jpg

More like "forced to" stay there. Although it is a nice place.

f2XQ3gD.jpg

Could be handy later.

WkdH49Q.jpg
Jw5bwKy.jpg

I like these banners, but I kind of hate that it spoils the gym types. Was still super excited that we finally got a Dark-type gym after 20 years though.

Rg73rqU.jpg

Not quite as useful, but okay.

lYvd1CP.jpg

In we go.

c5KQMQ3.jpg
a2r7Adk.jpg

One thing I'm curious about is exactly how many people take the gym challenge every year? I assume at least a few hundred.

UiJahR2.jpg

What's the hurry?

kKxYuuW.jpg

*dramatic hair flip*
So I have a confession: I thought Bede was a girl for the longest time. I kept referring to him as a rude girl and it was probably a month or so after I got the games before I found out he's actually a guy...

ZuOP37B.jpg
SRLSqtd.jpg

?
He didn't do anything...I mean, yes he's an asshole, but just walking past you isn't enough to prove it. I wonder if he was supposed to actually shove Hop out of the way ala Silver and they cut it for some reason?

0NauoZk.jpg

Sure, just a second.

32g1WEb.jpg

Never? I guess that makes sense, since the champ probably wouldn't want to endorse someone that might dethrone them...

W6cYxGc.jpg

Nobody asked you 😠

PMPrDIE.jpg

Nepotism.

9ktL5b2.jpg

Bahahaha! In your dreams.

gelmBVC.jpg

Rude. Now I wish Bede would've shoved you out of the way.

YnBPunr.jpg

Thank you. But honestly, Hop doesn't deserve it for being so pushy.

veTTfFN.jpg
ynq5FBH.jpg

Uhhhh...I have no idea what to pick :psyduck:
I never played sports in school, so I have no attachment to a particular number. I know it's ultimately meaningless, but...it's still prominent throughout the game, so what to pick...

lnb7Rzg.jpg

I honestly stared at this screen a lot longer than I should have. I considered my birthday, but that just felt weird. Then I thought about combining Skarmory (227) and Charizard (6) since that's my username, but 233 is a different Pokémon completely (Porygon2), so that doesn't fit...

eORsI41.jpg

I ended up going with 6 since Zard's my favorite Pokémon and 6 is actually my favorite number. I guess it should technically be 006, but the extra zeros felt unnecessary.

jcVcVUp.jpg

Is it like the island amulet?

HwtSjLm.jpg

I think we've established that.

b1b8X9N.jpg

Again, how many rooms/trainers is that?

WA2lVot.jpg

*thinks about hotel rates*
How much money did he spend on that? O_o

kdyY4mQ.jpg

Begone. Hopefully we don't have to share a room.

SZM7SxO.jpg

You're not kidding-it's literally right up the street. I imagine it's impossible to sleep when a match is going on...

O2T2eo6.jpg

Then where's the spectator entrance?

8Bw6EQy.jpg

Respect for taking the challenge at your age.

qj2ckQY.jpg
uLUekae.jpg
v8xOJo5.jpg

Talking to all these people is actually a little sad when you realize they all drop out of the challenge at some point, never to be seen again.
...That could be an idea for a darkfic: losing/dropping out of the challenge has consequences...yes, I've been binging Squid Game :v:

HbsUREG.jpg

Although the two with unique designs will clearly be significant characters :v:

8n8adCP.jpg

I have a feeling we'll meet again very soon.

MvlWcQg.jpg

Good for you, pretentious cunt.

vUyMWW5.jpg

That doesn't mean anything if you can't live up to it.

nZDy4Br.jpg

Don't worry, I don't waste time talking to assholes.

MgPLq72.jpg

Although it'll make the inevitable ass-kicking even more satisfying.

Uq8p3WE.jpg

Why do you ask?

jYTOikz.jpg

Oh, I see. Well, I'm not Leon, so I can find it on my own, thanks. Besides, I want to explore more.

greP0QO.jpg

...Dang roadblocks.

tGe5qcf.jpg

It looks way bigger on the outside ._.

At4VYrA.jpg

But I want to explore first :c

Luckily he doesn't force you to go in, so I can still explore. And come to think about it, I can make a catch now, since there are fishing spots here.

kzrgZsz.jpg

Let's do that first then stop for now.

rRPKkQd.jpg

Nice.

WM2ZM7z.jpg

Easy enough.

I4NB1J2.jpg
CT5mJ8c.jpg

Got a couple more levels as well.

ukKXpXe.jpg
4mheaAv.jpg

So I originally misclicked and forgot to name him, and had to run to the Pokémon Center to fix that. Not thrilled with the -SpA, but the +SpDef is nice. Will definitely add him to the rotation later on.
(Doug as in Doug Bowser, since Bowser's a big turtle. It's still hilarious to me that the president of Nintendo of America is now a guy named Bowser :ROFL:)

On that humorous note, this is a good stopping place.

Next time, we attend the opening ceremony and explore the rest of Motostoke. Might also grab a few more catches in the Wild Area.
Question of the update: who's your least favorite character in SwSh (DLC excluded)?

Last edited:

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
How do I keep up with my story ideas? I write a lot of them down, but mostly, they're in my head.

Yeah, the Onix in the middle of Motostoke. It's adorable, really, seeing that giant rock snake being so friendly.

Aww...poor Hop. It's foreshadowing, really; seeing him beaten down by someone else and losing his confidence (much like Hau against you, the player; he's literally in tears at the end of the game in USUM because he just can't win. He's always had this lack of confidence hidden beneath his bubbly persona, but I digress.)

I...did not know you could pick a single digit number. That's very interesting.

Anyway, least favorite character? I think it's obvious: Bede. I don't care if he's basically an orphan; it's not an excuse for acting like an arrogant spoiled brat. Rose and Oleana, at least, have motivations for what they do (Oleana also grew up as basically an orphan who only had one friend, a Trubbish, but you don't see her acting out. As for Rose? Yes, the way GF implemented his revelation as the bad guy was poorly executed, but the thought was at least there, and he's only trying to do what's best for the region.) Bede simply doesn't care about anyone other than himself, and he constantly thinks he's better than you throughout the game, making excuse after excuse why he loses to you. He's talented, yes, but also an unrepentant jerk.

Buuut, that's enough ranting. (And Klara/Avery are worse, but you did say DLC excluded, so...yeah~)

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
  3. Flying
  4. Psychic
I...did not know you could pick a single digit number. That's very interesting.
Leon has a single digit number. You just don't get to see it until the Championship match.

As for the Hi-Tech Earbuds, they give you the option to increase/decrease the volume of sound effects, music, and Pokemon cries in the Settings in the menu

As for my least favorite character, Bede is a lot of wasted potential. He has a massive ego which allows me to feel good about constantly humiliating him in battle, but they just shove him out of the plot before he can get any positive character development. He doesn't even get to react to the whole thing about Rose starting the Darkest Day.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Uhhh, I guess Oleana? It really doesn't feel like she adds much to the plot of the game, though that might be just because the actual pacing and plot of SwSh is kinda bad. I think if she had more appearances not tied to Rose I think I would like her more. At least her team is a fun bit of characterization and a decent challenge. Second place probably goes to one the version exclusive leaders, they just are kind of there.

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
My least favourite characters in Sword/Shield are Chairman Rose and the Royal twins. (Sordward/Shielbert) I just... Dislike them immensely. It should be noted that Drednaw is a physical attacker, so a -Sp Attack nature isn't going to hurt him.

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
QOTU: While a few come to mind one notable one for me is the entirety of "Team" yell and their (mostly swsh writers) inability to be a competent version of what Team Skull was for the fake evil team to the Aether Foundation like Yell is to Macro Cosmos and the chairman. Like while team Flare wasn't any good they were still something different from what came before. In swsh it's just a straight up failure at copying what was just done the generation prior.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
Hi! I'm enjoying this run and your commentary so far. I've never played SwSh myself and I don't plan to, so it's nice to see someone documenting the game in such detail.

Given what I just said, I don't have a ton of experience on which to base my opinion of least favorite character, but Hop does seem pretty darn annoying.

PageEmperor

Absolute loather and despiser of ads.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
Very interesting run! For some reason I have a lot of fun finding out your reasonings for nicknames and overall it’s enjoyable. Definitely will follow this.

As for the question on least favourite characters, I’ll probably just say the sword and shield hair guys from the postgame for the same reasons as everyone else.

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
I also thought Bede was a girl at first, and got really excited that we were finally going to have a female rival who was a jerk.

QotU: Chairman Rose. "Oh, I know the energy thing won't be a problem for thousands of years, meaning we have plenty of time to come up with a long-term solution, but I'm going to panic and set a giant monster loose because somehow that will definitely fix it now."

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Today we explore more of Motostoke and take part in the opening ceremony.
@Memento: I should probably write some of mine down too...they usually stay in my head, but I'm sure I've forgotten some over time :c
It's adorable how friendly the Onix is 💜
I give Hop way more shit than he deserves tbh-he's really not as bad/annoying as I say he is. And I never knew Hau breaks down like that at the end of the Ultras (probably because I still haven't played them 😅. If only I could screenshot my 3DS-I thought about doing a mostly-blind run of one of them instead of playing Sword, but I figured I'd do the one I can actually screenshot...)
Yeah, you can pick a single or two-digit number if you want. IIRC you can even pick zero if you want (not sure about 00 or 000 though).
Good points on all three characters (I love that tidbit about Oleana's Trubbish-that makes her battle kind of touching.) And yes, Avery is a cunt (not sure about Klara), but we might get into that later on 😉

@Mr Spaz: Ohhhh, okay. I was very confused because they just seemed pointless.
Agree on Bede being wasted-I wish we saw more of his training with Opal/becoming somewhat of a nicer person. Would love to see his reaction to the Darkest Day too.

@LucarioOfLegends: I kind of like Oleana-especially when she goes full Karen/bitch mode, but yeah they really could have done more with her. Would help if the whole "plot" wasn't shoved in right at the very end and spaced more like how the older games were.
Agree about Bea, although Allister has at least some character. I wish the Gordie/Melony dynamic was explored more too...

@Kit_The_Feef: Hard agree about the "royals", although I don't mind Rose too much-I just wish we explored him more.
You're right about Drednaw, I was a derp :psyduck:

@REDalchemist: Yell really is a discount Skull when you think about it-at least Skull had an occasional competent moment (and were funnier too). Weird how (presumably) the same people came up with the SM plot and the SwSh "plot"...
...that may be the first semi-positive things I've ever heard about Flare :O

@ActiveTransport: It's nice to have you around c:
I'm more than happy to have someone vicariously play the game through my run. I was worried I was being overly detailed, so that's a relief as well.
Hop is basically Hau 2.0 if you've played SM/Barry 2.0 if not, although he has a good arc later on that makes him better (it begins after the third gym). I don't actually disliike him as much as it may sound largely because of that arc. But yeah, he's really annoying in the beginning.

@PageEmperor: Glad you're enjoying it (and my naming logic)!
The "royal" guys are just the worst, although at least they have ludicrous hairstyles we can make fun of.

@Alba Corbina: Same-I would love to have a jerk female rival just for the uniqueness. Was kind of disappointed when I realized Bede's a guy...
Great description of Rose's logic and how ridiculous it is! Really hoping I make it to that point so I can rant about it.

Question: my least favorite characters are probably Sordward/Shielbert for being ridiculously arrogant douchebags. Bede is also a cunt, which makes it satisfying to kick his face in. And I feel like he gets kind of wasted since he vanishes after Opal takes him in, so we don't see his development until he randomly barges into the Finals. Also, Bea has like no personality, especially compared to her counterpart Allister. Heck, even Gordie/Melony at least have some character-Bea is just kind of there.

We left off with catching Doug the Chewtle and trying to stall the plot. So let's explore the rest of Motostoke first.

t86eV4I.jpg

Nice. I feel like a "no shopping" run would be a lot easier in Galar than in other regions since they give you so many items.

DXjo1vs.jpg
eYfySbp.jpg

All these people out with their Pokémon adds a lot of life to the region, it's really cool. Although I don't know what the boy is talking about, Mandibuzz can fly...unless he means flying alongside it?
(What I don't understand is why Mandibuzz and Braviary are gender-specific.)

12k08Ff.jpg

And in literally every other region.

3pgMjv4.jpg

Worthless except as free money. I don't even like using these to begin with because they decrease friendship. But this one is even less useful in a locke.

DMDJoRt.jpg

I prefer texting/talking online myself, since I don't like my voice. But he is right.

p3L3KYP.jpg

This is something I wish was expanded more in-game. I wonder what the minor league gyms/leaders are like? Although if they're all like the one you meet on the Isle of Armor... 😬

ap4SAxb.jpg

Can we just make him being Flannery's grandfather canon? Most people seem to believe that, including myself.

y3Pgzgq.jpg

Meanwhile Kristin makes a friend c:
*happy yip*

r5vRXng.jpg

No thanks-they cost too much money, especially since you can't even wear them in the gyms. Most of them are ugly too tbh, although the Electric and Poison ones are all right.

JYWhC5Y.jpg

WANT 🥺

This lift takes us back to the upper section, on the other side of the hotel.

bymm9Et.jpg

Duh. Otherwise you can only use Struggle, which is awful.

2HYL3Aj.jpg
ZY55LsH.jpg

That's very deep, especially for this game. He's right though.

BoqC1qW.jpg
BDbk64d.jpg

I'm sure I played it as a kid. Probably couldn't now though-I'd probably fall over, plus I'm a little chubby.
Also, your Wynaut is cheating-it's just running through the circles.

xqAYFey.jpg

You sound like one of those people who has to update their Facebook/Instagram/etc. every time they do their hair.

Xf90Z6B.jpg
V6HXXyx.jpg

Very true. That's why people will work on their passion projects for years and years (not just here but IRL too).

3hoYwSj.jpg

I mean, they arguably can? At least some of the simpler Normal/Fighting ones.

WJ3Lr9G.jpg

That would be hilarious.

ljZgwuo.jpg

Down the stairs~

ouW1ssT.jpg

...This area feels shady, and not the good kind of shady.

Cig3su5.jpg

I wish more 'mons could use this move/it was better in battle. Extra money is always nice, although not as necessary now since the game dumps $30K on you right at the start.
Idea: tell new players about how back in my day we had to conserve money until halfway through the game...

AttsByv.jpg
yO93lhE.jpg

What's this about? 🤔
*notes to self to check it out in Shield later*

Epxa31p.jpg
oDZuquA.jpg

We're lucky to live in a world where this is more acceptable-it wasn't like that 50 years ago...that said, it's still not perfect, but it's better than it was for our parents/grandparents.

rCecGto.jpg

Nice.

DCMgza6.jpg

You're boring.

bTCLyih.jpg

A region-wide monopoly? That's very unhealthy...I do support capitalism to an extent, but having a monopoly like that is terrible for the economy.

(This is around where I renamed Doug.)

qV2rv8d.jpg

I like how your team actually appears on the screen when you heal up in a center.

2yAvSFZ.jpg

Again, I really wish this was explored in-game. Idea for a monolocke: the protag is one of the leaders who got booted to the minors?

VcRM3zP.jpg

Here, you can take mine.
*shocked chirp*
*shocked yip*
Calm down guys, it was a joke.

CFxqENU.jpg

Let's be a good person and help out if we can.

ay4q0B6.jpg
i8SBXmp.jpg

Well, there's the pond I caught Doug in, or maybe those pools/fountains by the stadium?

9PYmebA.jpg

Not as weird/funny as the one from BW who says "chip kwip!" Not sure why, but that one's always stuck with me.

uPFiu1R.jpg

There we are!

oDaQorE.jpg

Good deed accomplished.
(Fun fact: if you check the other fountain first there's a dude in it, and it's heavily implied that he bathes in it. I'd heard about it but never seen it myself until I looked it up on Youtube.)

LjBjUoQ.jpg

Why is it all the way up there, though?

PuJ3dNY.jpg

Glad I could help.

zf66PZ8.jpg

...are you trying to tell me my breath stinks?

S7bjlJk.jpg

Oh. That has to be one of the most situational items ever-not really worth using.

Fl5C3MR.jpg

If I were you, I'd keep in in the ball when you're out then.

Nothing else to do now except go to the Budew Drop Inn.

ICdWK5a.jpg

What's going on here?

olb3y58.jpg

Yep, although Hop shouldn't have been considering how rude and pushy he was to the guy registering people.

ABO0jEH.jpg

And that brought you here? I would think being closer to the Weald would be easier, but 🤷‍♂️

STwwCdu.jpg

I don't think we'd be much help...

kSBcoou.jpg

A statue.

yKkB093.jpg

That's what I said!

VfJE4H2.jpg

I'm not in a hurry, so you can tell the full version. Especially if it means Hop has to be patient >:)

DoravW6.jpg

That sounds terrifying :ohdear:

rfYLeZM.jpg
heOLbJA.jpg

Somehow I doubt a person fought off the giant Pokémon. They have way too many advantages (elemental powers, brute strength, telepathic powers)...

jP9zugm.jpg

Well, if they were actual weapons, they probably decayed over time so they don't exist anymore. But I still don't think they were actual weapons, since this is a Pokémon game.

V5f9n1a.jpg
znMW7zM.jpg

It must have been a massive storm to cover the whole region.

Rr8pB7v.jpg

I have to admit, it's sweet how much Hop looks up to his brother.

m88lUdm.jpg

Maybe you should be her assistant? Gets you out of my hair too 😏

YFg1XkB.jpg

She'll be fine, although I really think you should help her.

Wvx3lyS.jpg

...On second thought, you'd probably just get on her nerves like you do mine.

1QkoXHo.jpg

I was going to, but they look busy, plus people keep getting in my way.

kJu8WCs.jpg

Pretty sure you'd forget after about five seconds.

cmLpzjE.jpg

I'm hoping I can leave him in the dust eventually, or maybe he'll get lost in the Wild Area.

sKhKGp5.jpg

...his mother didn't help?

ZMnHOvk.jpg

Since the desk looks busy, I figured I'd take the elevator up and explore first.

esJ11F9.jpg
lH5O7QY.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the appeal? I'd much rather watch at home on my TV-more comfortable, less noisy, cheaper...

dwRkIWP.jpg

Like I said, I imagine it's impossible to sleep when there are matches happening.

iixCNV3.jpg

These rooms look cozy. Wouldn't mind staying there if I could.

vl6W1nO.jpg

Anything useful, or just trash?

OApN17a.jpg

Oh nice! Gonna rack up some serious cash at this rate.

NhAKLhE.jpg

You must not be a Pokémon trainer.

WetHzGk.jpg

Why is there only one bed? I mean, no hate if you guys are a couple, but idk if I can see them implying a same-sex couple in the games...then again, Hapu was definitely crushing on Lillie at one point, so 🤷‍♂️

u4wiV41.jpg

I imagine it's cool. Haven't gotten there yet, though.

Ta4wJta.jpg

One bed is less weird when it's a parent/small child. Although I still wonder if there's a second bed/pullout couch or something.

BIR279X.jpg
vRcmtRE.jpg

Cute.

Where are all the other rooms, though? Assuming there are several hundred gym challengers?
Whatever, time to check in.

cYxKMao.jpg
zEanpyW.jpg

...or not. Can none of you battle them, or did you all lose?

RyEjSPI.jpg

But you're not helping, you're just annoying everyone.

jgNBeRF.jpg

Bring it.

bldpPD0.jpg

You guys look stupid. I would dig their aesthetic more if all the guys weren't fat for some reason or at least had shirts that covered their whole bellies-and I say that as a chubby dude. And the pink face paint makes it even worse.

oprjUKf.jpg

Oh no, I'm so terrified.

07nFyfj.jpg

By annoying people? Good luck with that.

gFsdpJv.jpg

Not in the hotel! Let's at least go outside first.

HBZNxYF.jpg

I know it's a megaphone, but I keep thinking/wishing it was a vuvuzela :v:

kTLHlqE.jpg

Something else Kristin can burn~
*excited yip*

BlkjiAi.jpg

Ew, don't lick me! 😖

krkxRfo.jpg

Why are you so underleveled? This is no challenge.

KEDnJY4.jpg

Trolling :V:

a4JtFz5.jpg

Would've been amazing if that was its only attack, but not that lucky.

r6sV9XV.jpg

It got a crit, but we're still winning the damage race.

rt0bV5r.jpg

See? Also wow that is a pitiful EXP yield.

CUCZdcI.jpg

Maybe you should train more next time.

zIKZIth.jpg

One down, three to go.

qfLNEGd.jpg

Like you're gonna be any tougher.

ImHoyAy.jpg

What are you gonna do, throw the poster at me? 😄

NjLRZsi.jpg

😐

uFbQCSQ.jpg

Oh, you're one of those...

14szxQw.jpg

Too bad I had a berry.

d2rD5GW.jpg
tLKYMEk.jpg

In the same move? That's incredibly satisfying.

nwDyoqu.jpg

By the way, I can do that too :V:

Gv1tZVS.jpg

Suddenly POLITE

MhgQiTK.jpg

I guess that's fair-sometimes I feel weird going into a wealthy part of town/expensive stores.

ZOuwXGg.jpg

Go away. I don't need or want your "help".

THfghCg.jpg

🙄

phJ5Uz6.jpg

Didn't I just tell you to fuck off?

oaqjw2l.jpg

But I don't need it 😒

ao69IJR.jpg

He's delusional, run away!

PZOlGzn.jpg

I am almost expecting him to lose somehow.

bIx9ju8.jpg

But at least he can't actively hinder us, since he can be a meatshield.

GiF4fia.jpg

See? Now just keep hitting the 🐑 and ignore my 🦊.

8lxUdQ9.jpg

Dang it, the Zigzagoon has Snarl.

uR9LqB1.jpg

So far so good, though.

3WmWzAt.jpg

I have an area attack too~

ZYZVdCW.jpg

Almost done.

5XQuzYD.jpg

Damn, the Nickit has an even shittier EXP yield than the Zig does.

Vnjl05H.jpg

But people yell when they're sad all the time.

WDzQu2R.jpg

Well, maybe you shouldn't have gotten in the way.

AiwsmiY.jpg

They look so silly trying to continue "cheering" when they're defeated.

WfLePml.jpg

See, I told you she would be a recurring character! Also the mass "oh shit" reaction is hilarious.

PdIPmhl.jpg
9KLIpzZ.jpg

You sound like naughty children who got caught misbehaving by a parent/teacher. Which is hilarious considering I'm pretty sure Marnie is younger than they are.

4ymFtXG.jpg

Not to mention more mature.

GilQO3K.jpg
xU6Nriv.jpg

I can't decide if Team Yell is stupid or hilarious. In a way, it's nice that the "evil team" is not actually evil and just does harmless shenanigans, but...we already had that last gen with Team Skull, who were funnier too. Also it's kind of creepy that this girl has a whole-ass fan club following her, especially since she's...maybe 14? 😬

uNqUH9P.jpg

Begone losers!

GvbA5U3.jpg

>shirty
British slang is too funny :D

mNNsHk2.jpg

Nah, no trouble. I just hope the hotel didn't get damaged, especially since Kristin was spamming Ember...

iMJCzqt.jpg

I still say it's more creepy than anything. Although it could be worse.

AwL6ual.jpg

Time to check in.

WY6brHp.jpg

Nah, just figured I'd stop in for the night.
(You actually get a Yes/No here, so I figured I'd see what he said if I said no.)

JvgWYxt.jpg

*snort*
I'm hearing this in the most deadpan tone which makes it even funnier.

2XNcb5J.jpg

Sir I'm 30, but thanks for the compliment.
(No one IRL believes me when I tell them that-people at work always think I'm early/mid-20s. I guess I'm not aging much?)

1MJRtJj.jpg

Do I get any extra perks for it? Maybe a deluxe room or free room service?

HDOlz2u.jpg

It was worth a shot.

PBOSYVA.jpg

🥱
...what are you doing?

1oPmteu.jpg

In your dreams.

kDuZAPZ.jpg

Go ahead, I want breakfast first. Besides, it doesn't matter how long it takes me because protagonist.

Xm8Fztc.jpg

Don't tell me you're the only receptionist? :ohdear:

XirF1CA.jpg
9d5WedF.jpg

Afraid not, but at least I actually feel bad for beating you, unlike Hop.

4uo1IL5.jpg

Please no, I can travel 50 steps on my own.

G7XGNKB.jpg

Thank you.
*runs west toward Route 3 for another catch*

sJBMn7X.jpg
X7nzJKc.jpg

But...catches 🥺

WrC6lzn.jpg

Okay, let's do what we're actually supposed to now.

Fycai9K.jpg

Poor you, delusions are a sign you're going crazy :c

NqOT6Bb.jpg

Yes, what is it?

DokNAGP.jpg

Oh.

hWOO0NI.jpg

Do I have to?

uHT0XlL.jpg

*grumble*
I hate changing in locker rooms-it was the worst part of gym class in middle/high school. I always just went in the bathroom and changed in a stall because FUCK undressing in front of other people. It's not as bad as an adult, but...I was going to a gym before the pandemic, and I'd just wear my gym clothes up there and back. Need to start going back now that things are easing up...resolution for 2022?

uZU86MV.jpg

Admittedly, it does look fairly sharp. Just wish it had more color-plain white is so drab, plus it'll get so dirty .__.

iEngvJl.jpg

Hey, this doesn't look like the same stadium! What happened to all the red?

82L87dP.jpg

*cringes in social distancing*

OoINhah.jpg

Why exactly is Oleana here? She doesn't do or say anything, so why have her in this scene at all?

xuWXPDt.jpg

Yes, we know that.

c8BOD6O.jpg

How can people hear you? Shouldn't you have some kind of headset/microphone thing to amplify your voice?

eD9b3f4.jpg

You mean this year's gym challenge.

5xTG7xl.jpg

This is pretty exciting though. I do like how it's treated as this huge event in Galar.

BJQUieY.jpg

Why are you flexing? 🤨

gfaWFOM.jpg

Cool, let's meet them.

70RjAaS.jpg

#squadgoals

ayUaqkT.jpg

He doesn't have a nose! :O

Ugph2qg.jpg

"I'm cute, lol~"

trSAiBj.jpg

AKA Flannery's grandpa.

V3uAHRj.jpg

Who?

G9syFfJ.jpg

I think it's past time for you to retire. Also, what is that on her neck? :psyduck:

J6VA4J3.jpg

What is that hair? ._.

EdPH44B.jpg

Dude's just taking a selfie in the middle of this epic entrance, I love it.

R1IY5aA.jpg

Why doesn't Piers show up for this? You'd think it'd be required...although it's probably not his thing.

48aZMlO.jpg

Which ones do you think are the most and least popular?

e1GDRHF.jpg

And now we get to make a dramatic entrance. I still want to know exactly how many challengers there are.

XU5A0A8.jpg

I could never do this IRL-I'm way too shy/awkward, especially in front of this many people.

ETBnu8I.jpg

At least the character doesn't mind.

The end of the ceremony seems like a good place to stop.

Next time, we stomp Hop again and grab a few more catches in the Wild Area before moving on.
Question of the update: which city in Galar is your favorite?

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I like Ballonlea because of the spooky mushroom aesthetic, but I also really like Wyndon because of the London vibes it has. It also has really cool music. I just wish half the city wasn't cut out of the game. I would have liked to ride a Ferris Wheel in 3D.

LucarioOfLegends

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
I'm a big fan of Motostoke. The red brick and steampunk aesthetic are sick, especially with the elevators. The multi-level aspect also makes it feel nice and big and theres cool stuff to do in it.

Shout out to Circhester for also being super cohesive and really well sized, and Hulbury for being an underrated hit of a town imo.

ActiveTransport

Fiery Torch
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 5, 2021
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Hobbies: running, reading, singing, playing Pokémon (especially competitive battling), and practicing my Catholic faith!
The Throat Spray isn't too shabby in competitive battling. Kommo-o loves it since both of its signature moves are sound-based, and I've also seen it on things like Toxtricity and Accelgor.

Team Yell...ngl, I forgot they existed. That's got to be one of the cringiest things in all of Pokemon, which frankly is saying a lot.

Oleana is there because I'd be willing to bet that Rose can barely function without her. He seems like the type to be great at showmanship and PR but with no real administrative capabilities, almost a figurehead.

Isn't Piers absent out of protest that his Gym is the only one where Dynamax can't be used? Or am I getting a plot point from a Nuzlocke story confused with actual canon?

Speaking of actual canon...I'm going to have to pass on the QOTD because I have no idea what the cities in Galar are like XD

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
And, caught up!

I have to say I actually like Team Yell. I mean they are not perfect, but at least they changed up the old "taking over the world using a legend" formula they carried for Gens 3-6. Though Team Skull did the whole "bunch of nobodies" thing far better. I do like their punk-hooligan ascetics a lot, though it could be nice if they all didn't look exactly the same (which is true for a lot of NPCs, I mean come on this is Gen 8 of the most successful brand ever, isn't it time to work a bit more on the details Game Freak?).

Favorite Galarian City? I do love a lot of them. Turffield is cute, Hulbury feels authentic and is one of my favorites, Stow On-Side is awesome but feels out of place in Galar, Circhester feels festive and the "Roman" bathes are cool, Spikemuth is cool but feels very incomplete, and Ballonlea has an awesome concept though it's execution isn't perfect. But my favorite is the one you are currently at, Motostoke. I just dig the industrial vibe for some reason.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we beat Hop again and make a few more catches in the Wild Area.
@Kit_The_Feef: Ballonlea is definitely unique, and I really like Wyndon as well for the big city vibes. But yeah, I wish they hadn't cut so much of it-how cool would it have been to see Big Ben or ride the London Eye? I guess we'll have to wait for the BW remakes to ride the Nimbasa wheel :c

@LucarioOfLegends: I do like Motostoke's aesthetic, and the second level is a unique touch that I also like. Circhester is also an underrated gem, and Hulbury is solid although the music is a little eh. *harmonica intensifies*

@ActiveTransport: I had a feeling it was more of a competitive item than something you'd use casually. I can see it on Kommo-o and Toxtricity, but why Accelgor?
People are pretty split on whether Team Yell is funny or cringe. For me it's a little of both depending on the situation.
Honestly, that would make a lot of sense-when SwSh first came out a lot of people thought Oleana was the true boss instead of Rose. I kind of wish that had actually been the case-we need more female villains IMO.
Pretty sure Piers chooses not to Dynamax-he has a few lines late in the game where he says he doesn't like it much. That does sound like an interesting plot point, though-I may need to check that story out later.

@RubyClaw: I do think Team Yell is funny, and having the "evil" team be merely annoying nuisances rather than trying to destroy the world is a nice change, but they are a bit of a downgrade from Team Skull. And yeah, it is pretty silly that they all still look the same (although SM had a really funny meta joke about that at one point).
The cities in Galar are all pretty great. I do wish Spikemuth had a little more to it though.
Question: my favorite Galar city is probably either Spikemuth for the unique vibe or Wyndon because I'm a sucker for big cities. I also like Motostoke and Hammerlocke, although the latter has weird music.
After the opening ceremony...

xQ6u7B5.jpg
NGxgiB2.jpg

Same, but for a different reason-I couldn't go out in front of that many people, I have horrible stage fright.

gV2TnMV.jpg

See, wouldn't it have made more sense for Leon to be at the opening ceremony than Oleana? Unless you believe she's the true brains behind Rose...

sX3foIp.jpg
AoqERMZ.jpg

Pleased to meet you. Although I'm surprised he's able to say hello to us without being mobbed by fans.

7atmdqJ.jpg

Does this mean they aren't normally received until later? Or maybe only certain people get one (AKA plot-important characters).

i87rbuT.jpg

More like by the game map.

yiKrB86.jpg

Along with practically everything else in Galar?

OKy0t9Q.jpg
xfOkCfc.jpg

"Yeah, the last couple of years have been awful. Just utterly dreadful challengers-none of 'em even made it to Wyndon."

TOQQJrx.jpg
Y7yqPOg.jpg

I'm sure we'll meet again fairly soon.

2drPPJM.jpg

He just said the challenge looks exciting this year-clearly the last few have been busts :v:

RqBOet4.jpg

...not really? You don't have to be in peak physical condition to be a trainer, it's not like you're the one fighting.
Unless you mean mentally? That would make more sense...

Kgc1bIE.jpg

It would be cool to have a game where you could fight the gyms in any order and they were scaled accordingly.

bUElSKC.jpg

I swear Galar cities all sound like they could be actual British cities. Never really got that vibe from Unova or Kalos, although Alola was closer.

Moving on.

IAwA9IG.jpg

👀

sKtj4No.jpg

No, not more hivemindness 😱

0jiGFBP.jpg

Whew. Although I wonder what exactly you're giving me that allows me to use them?

CDgACPL.jpg

So it's our Fly/Charizard replacement. This might be unpopular, but I honestly never minded HMs that much-they felt more realistic than Ride Pokémon/the ridiculous bullshit Let's Go had. Maybe they'd be more popular if there weren't so many/ones like Cut and Rock Smash weren't crap...

y36lh1Q.jpg
Ee2AILQ.jpg

But it is nice to have access to Fly this early. This is something else I fumble around in the menu for, though 😅

sg5Brwu.jpg

I suppose, otherwise you could fly to Wyndon with a team of level 13s.

ezEQcBG.jpg
g3FM87C.jpg
J8nMiy4.jpg

They sound so supportive 🥺🥰
(Or are they betting on who will make it deep?)

573xzfG.jpg

Why are you still here? I figured you'd be halfway to Turffield already.

KTKtyNj.jpg

...please don't tell me you want us to go together like the rivals at the beginning of BW.

MlFddWN.jpg

But why? I've already beaten you twice-do you want to lose again?

2wDMycE.jpg

*snort*
Apparently my character feels the same way 😆

uQqZbiL.jpg

I mean, I am, but I don't see why you are when you've already lost to me twice this early on...

7UIoTE0.jpg

In a way, it's nice that these fights are clearly telegraphed-surprise rival fights aren't exactly fun, so being able to heal/prepare is good. But the same time, it does kind of make things too easy.

I guess we have to humor him and stomp him again.

U6Vk7H7.jpg

Like I said, I don't mind, but you really shouldn't want to...

ZsQZJ8j.jpg

I really wish this was a different character (maybe Marnie since you fight Bede not too long after this?)

lsYb3in.jpg

It's just gonna confirm that you don't deserve it tbh.

5HW8E5A.jpg

Extra flammable!
*excited yip*

w2qjPoE.jpg

(after an Ember and a Tackle)
Well this should be easy.

rdi4axE.jpg

Especially when he wastes time using Growl instead of attacking.

aqBMm9S.jpg

Nice, that'll speed things along!

iR2aqbA.jpg

You say that like I did it intentionally, when it's pure RNG.

sGTqOTh.jpg

Ass 😒

YKtnG6X.jpg

I can heal too, without wasting my turn~

mJTlF6C.jpg

One down.

Y0lFJay.jpg

This is why the permanent Exp Share is stupid-I shouldn't have four 'mons getting a level when only one fought. Sure it makes grinding faster, but at least give us the option-that's why it wasn't as bad the last two gens!
...But that's a significant level for Johanna.

I9sEAFs.jpg

Ooh, we're actually evenly matched! This might be challenging.

k7ZQtQk.jpg

Lol jk, because you're cursed to pick the one with a disadvantage.

qFXBvd5.jpg

Have you mastered the type matchup of my foot in your face? Shut up.

NlYgQJs.jpg

Two down. Scorbunny falling on its butt when it faints is kind of funny to me.

EMEom11.jpg

lmao

TVW1N6O.jpg

Obligatory bird fight!

l4WOm8c.jpg

Edgar is doing well at overcoming the terrible nature 👍
*happy tweet*

72x1d8M.jpg

D:
I suppose he was overdue for one, though...

j5sNJE3.jpg

It's all good, though.

hfqoVCZ.jpg

See?

Tzh3wiQ.jpg

I have a suggestion: why don't you fight someone other than me for a change? You'd probably have a better chance that way.

jMpm598.jpg

First evolution!

K9LsXwa.jpg

Challenge mascot acquired! Hopefully this is a good omen (why does Nuzleaf have nipples though? :psyduck: )

nLww7br.jpg

...Interesting.

KG344Sw.jpg

Nice!

ZHkYahC.jpg

I wanted to keep Absorb, but 20 BP isn't really worth it.

aDbdumz.jpg

...You're expecting to lose?

h7dggQv.jpg

Um, okay?

npsiIqN.jpg

SwSh may win the award for "most stuff to do before the first gym/trial".

Q528zrg.jpg

You're actually gonna lose several more times, but still get there in the end because the plot demands it.

RBAvvqo.jpg

In your dreams.

nR9ycds.jpg

Quick teamshot. We're looking solid so far, but there are a few sections in the Wild Area I haven't explored yet, so I figured I'd grab a few more catches before moving on.

uTxsK7m.jpg

I like this screen that appears when you use a Flying Taxi, but I wish there was an actual animation for it. Charizard Glide had one last gen...

faL0umU.jpg

And we're back.

lVPiNG1.jpg

Looks like there's a special raid encounter (the one with the purple light ray instead of red). Might check it out.

d9EPEN5.jpg

On the way there, I decided to grab some more Watts and considered trying a Raid Battle.

hNSFsp0.jpg
Unvv1BE.jpg

I can't catch this one since it's still in the area I caught Kristin, but can still get the items, which could be very handy.

bNowz1m.jpg

A Sneasel? I like my chances if I use Kristin, but...I don't have anyone to team up with, so I'd be relying on NPCs which are notoriously unreliable. But they could be good meatshields...

GHExmre.jpg

Fuck it, let's go for it. I can always run if she gets in trouble.

v95WuXz.jpg

*SCREECHES LOUDLY*
My ears 😖

jVC6jDA.jpg

Okay, those aren't bad teammates.

So in a Raid Battle, you almost always want to Dynamax turn one, especially these early ones. That way you get three turns to whale on the opponent with Max Moves as much as possible.

uWcVdkU.jpg

I'm not actually sure if NPCs can Dynamax if you don't, but let's not find out.

fI4MoWL.jpg

The animations for throwing a Dynamax ball are pretty cool. Opal and Raihan probably have the best ones-hopefully I'll get to show them later.

g4JiUIC.jpg

*YIPS LOUDLY*
My poor ears :c

2lXZ7Th.jpg

That's not good.

dxX2jvP.jpg
2tadYzh.jpg

Fucking RIP.

nxA7nT4.jpg

The good news is, it wasn't me. Even if I lose this fight, as long as Kristin doesn't faint, I won't lose her.

(The Jolteon uses Double Kick!)
Nice, that'll help!

e3Jfouf.jpg
sKQPgeY.jpg

...what. It's 4x weak to Fighting-even with the Defense boost, why did that do so little?

Time to show them a real attack. Torch it with Max Flare, Kristin.

1eWXCnW.jpg

...why are we doing so little damage? It's only at +1 Defense-we should be doing more than that ._.

Max Flare causes harsh sunlight, though, so the next one should do better.

s9SEEPs.jpg

That's more like it! One more should be enough if these guys do enough chip damage.

YI2753I.jpg

...almost...

I don't have a shot of what happened next, but the Sneasel attacked Kristin. And since this was the third turn of Dynamax, she went back to normal, which means she lost the HP buff as well.

q4rhlLD.jpg

The good news is, she survived. And the Maractus is back because if an NPC gets defeated, it revives after a full turn. So the odds are good it won't attack me...but if it does, Kristin's gone :ohdear:
However, I could heal instead of attacking, especially since its health is low enough that the NPCs will probably kill it. Which is probably the better play, since even if they don't kill it I can finish it next turn.
(That's what I did.)

fRHvvPn.jpg

Although I guess it didn't matter, since it derped and didn't attack. But I'd bet money that it would have attacked if I hadn't healed.

JinWy4R.jpg

And it's down!

eKbWy5d.jpg

I guess I could've caught it, but at the time I was still unsure how I wanted to handle Raid Battles as catches, so I skipped it, especially since I don't have anyone to trade with to evolve it.

Rjo8lfO.jpg

Not a bad haul, though. An Ice TR would've been nice, but this is still solid.

s30KLYq.jpg
7RsNiqz.jpg

Crossed over into Watchtower Ruins after that.

Z17GaSO.jpg
yj2mac7.jpg

Most of the encounters didn't seem promising (mainly things that have to trade to evolve, and I've used Golurk before), but maybe this is worth a shot?

rXDOeHE.jpg

G-Yamask?
...What the hell, why not. I swapped to Johanna first, since she has extra type advantages.

1o76zdo.jpg

...Oh fuck. That may actually be the worst possible team combo. Hopefully they make good meatshields...

4IgEEsS.jpg

A physical move that lowers Special Defense? Makes a lot of sense [/sarcasm].

9uDV2Dr.jpg

BIG NUZLOCKE

A8xBSM2.jpg

...what? Your Magikarp knows fucking Hydro Pump? :psyduck:
And it actually did about 1/8th the Yamask's health. Maybe this isn't such a bad team?

HOlBDjM.jpg

My turn.

Q4sDwKv.jpg

Nice. This might be easier than the Sneasel was.

z32tkwI.jpg

It's mirroring me!

QJpwE5D.jpg

Good for you? I still doubt you'll be any help, but thanks for being a meatshield.

Lzr1EX7.jpg

Yes, that 2 damage will be very helpful, Eevee.

FYCZ8Ku.jpg

You useless fucker. This guy has a reputation for being completely worthless.

3nYIxId.jpg
W8tHrf7.jpg

*shrieks in frustration*

FjHfKoh.jpg

Why is the fucking MAGIKARP the most useful of the three of you?????? :psyduck:

QMuUfvK.jpg

Seriously, it's actually doing some decent damage.

KQEIgke.jpg

Another cool animation.

nvBzjz6.jpg

That knocked it into the red, and activated Grassy Terrain. Which will heal everyone a little, not that they deserve it 😠

yyCGrAn.jpg

Nooooo, don't hit the useful one!

7Apy0da.jpg

Good, it lived.

3jhCjIE.jpg
3Ajat9B.jpg

*unprintable string of profanities*
...I would seriously love to kill these two and take my chances with just the Magikarp just so they'll stop wasting everyone's time.

AdCRP6i.jpg
6fD2tVW.jpg

Luckily it went down after the Magikarp and I actually attacked.

hKiCF2L.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think it's actually impossible to fail these catches if you win? Either way, let's grab it.

Pc8vrG6.jpg
KO1cu0G.jpg

Another nice haul! Teammate idiocy aside, that was actually pretty simple.

oOvlsNd.jpg

...I think Unovan Yamask is creepier, but that's still creepy :ohdear:

vKN2HQ1.jpg
bGbeQeB.jpg

(Serious/somewhat vain. Named Diana because I had a Cofagrigus in White 2 named Diane that was my E4 MVP. No relation to Princess Diana.)
Holy crap she's level 20? While those NPCs were maybe level 10 😱
(From Bulbapedia: "If less than four players initiate a Max Raid Battle, a random selection of these NPC Trainers will populate the vacant positions. The level of their Pokémon is set to 70% of the host player's Pokémon (rounded down).")
Johanna is level 14, so 70 percent of that is 9.8...jfc, those NPCs were only level 9 and we beat it!
Anyway, not using her right now because she's way overleveled, and I'm hesitant to use her at all since G-Yamask has probably the stupidest evolution method of all time, but considering how lucky that catch was, I'll probably bring her on at some point.

ZE20mAL.jpg

Not sure if that's weirdly appropriate in an area filled with ghosts or not.

SeFKcai.jpg

Run away!

bZdmxWC.jpg

Want 🥺
But I'm sure it's way too high-leveled right now, plus Noibat is kinda crap.

a59WKuv.jpg

Nah.

zRWzDSI.jpg

I probably should've fought them for items/TRs, but not right now. I might take some more on after getting a badge or two.

WeiREIL.jpg

Crossed into the Dappled Grove right after, and again, run away!

As for the actual encounter...

WCgxMTl.jpg

Not bad. Baltoy/Claydol are 'mons I very rarely see used, but they aren't bad-I used one in Gale of Darkness once and it was pretty solid.

0gA4Ddl.jpg

What does that do?

KHjn4jv.jpg

Oh, okay. Not too worrisome.

2ON9zgo.jpg

Good SpDef, too.

AaPRFQf.jpg
oSucW3X.jpg

Ow.

ibMBFc1.jpg

It also has Rapid Spin.

o5QDhf4.jpg

Not too hard to catch, though. Luckily it's too low leveled to blow up.

SeTSHuw.jpg

A well-earned level, even though I still think getting EXP from catches is silly.
*happy chirp*

pVGGLZA.jpg

...That's a foot? 🤔
Also I would love to see one pulling a Hitmontop and spinning on its head.

PM6pUgA.jpg
gC4lxjH.jpg

(Hardy/mischievous. Named DJ because it spins, and DJs spin records (well, they did before everything went digital).)
Not bad, although not really useful for the first couple gyms.

lRQz7ri.jpg

Trying to keep Connor from getting overleveled...

v29xZ8s.jpg

An early Ice-type would've been cool, since they always get locked to late-game for some reason :c

hxw0fBC.jpg

Why not?

gmykdDG.jpg

Even with the crappy teammates, it shouldn't be hard.

l6hHIIP.jpg

(After a Max Flare.)
Oh shit, he's actually attacking! 😱

XQk43Rt.jpg

Yeah, this is done.

Bo9jW71.jpg

Look how happy she is! 🙂

PDpD8QB.jpg

Another solid haul, especially the Leech Life TR, now that that move's actually good.

zl2sgVG.jpg

Next up, South Lake Miloch.

NBpoHoR.jpg

Why not? Might be some good cash.

Kfl3xfV.jpg

Eh. Can't all be winners, I suppose.

Catch time!

BNRiFHe.jpg

*Jupiter intensifies*

dWrdd7V.jpg

It actually was almost as bad as hers-between Acid Spray and Fury Swipes, Kristin got in trouble fast. So I swapped to Edgar, not that he had much better luck.
it looks like Jupiter may still be a cheating hacker-I saw a trailer where she's using it against a mid-form starter, so I'm a little worried...

tE70Nih.jpg
jq6kEx3.jpg
BNAgwx9.jpg

Had to burn a couple Potions, but we got it in the end. Those are well-earned levels, too.

UGgV5RK.jpg

*retch*

1nGv3o9.jpg
eg7ryjW.jpg

(Docile/likes to run. Named Karen because...well, Karens are obnoxious af, just like she was to catch. They don't smell as bad, but their attitudes definitely do. I speak from experience-I'm an assistant manager at a restaurant.)
Not bad overall, but I don't see too many opportunities for her to be useful. But given how terrible Jupiter's is (although that's mainly because she's a cheating hacker), I may have to stick her in at some point. Also TIL Stench can cause flinching.

uVopOAR.jpg

I thought the Giant's Seat might also be a potential catch, but a quick search revealed the 'mons there are in the 30s, so that'll have to wait.

L296pZx.jpg
Jra4g4T.jpg

Lots of giant serpentines around. This guy might not want to hang out here...

7BChpkH.jpg

North Lake Miloch might be more promising.

yQOH72T.jpg

Nooooo, stay away from me!

T6qWhdK.jpg

Hey, I can get an early Ice-type after all!

3QguCqG.jpg

I would get mad at you for getting in the way, but a) you're also an Ice-type, and b) you might actually be better?

Colossal derpage below!

LFRbfk6.jpg

I have no idea why I didn't immediately switch.

9bRhFRa.jpg

Especially considering both its types are good against me...

klxJP8E.jpg

Luckily, he survived both the attack and the hail.

HJjm137.jpg

I swapped in Kristin first, but she was doing too much damage, and I was pretty sure it either didn't have an Ice move or wasn't gonna use it, so I brought in Edgar, which was also slightly dangerous...

Jm7sE8U.jpg

But it worked out in the end.

PhU5ARG.jpg

This is nowhere near a mountain :psyduck:

RVa49zk.jpg
P4VgFVo.jpg

(Gentle/impetuous and silly. Named after the gym leader.)
Aside from that 4x Fire weakness, not bad. Could be handy against Raihan if I'm careful/can't find Connor an Ice Beam TR.

Pretty sure that's all the catches I can make right now, so back to Motostoke.

ugF2SxU.jpg

Quickly restocking...

vBjOidN.jpg

Giving Kristin this because she would get the most use from it, plus it looks nice on her.

3X0kh2F.jpg

And we're good to go. Seems like a good stopping place.

AMsaKNb.jpg

Next time, we head through Route 3 toward the mine.
Question of the update: how do you feel about Max Raid Battles?

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Sneasel actually doesn't evolve via trade. You just give it a Razor Claw and level it up at night. Max Raid battles can be fun, but it sucks when you get some of the more useless NPCs, like Martin and his Solrock or Freya's Eevee. Isabella's Magikarp is probably the second best NPC, apart from that one guy with the Throh.

Users who are viewing this thread