• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
An overly snarky trip through Galar (Updated 11/28)

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
So I haven't documented a run in a while, and I also haven't Nuzlocked Galar yet. Why not do both at the same time? this is probably a terrible idea
I actually have a plot idea for Galar in mind (as well as an old plot run I still need to repost and finish), but I feel like I should probably get back into the routine of documentation first. So this is just gonna be casual commentary.

1) If it faints, it's dead and goes in the "Fallen" box.
2) Only catch the first encounter in each area. Dupes and shiny clauses, although I doubt I'll need either, especially the latter. Doesn't come into effect until I can get Poké Balls.
2a) Each section of the Wild Area counts as an encounter. If the encounter is too high-leveled for me to catch, it can be skipped for the first eligible catch.
2b) Since Route 8 has two distinctly different sections/encounter tables, it falls under the Pinwheel clause, so I can make a catch on each side.
2c) Since I have no trade access (I have online but no one to trade with), trade evos are skippable. Subject to change if I can find a trade partner.
3) Name everything-these are our friends and deserve to be treated as such!
4) My starter cannot leave the party unless I'm grinding other 'mons (to prevent significant overleveling thanks to the perma-Exp Share). If my starter dies, my next oldest catch takes over as starter.
5) The run is complete after defeating the second postgame Hop fight (where he has Zamazenta), and fails if I have no more living Pokémon. I may change this later to include the DLC areas, although if I do, they'll be saved for after the main story.
6) Have fun! Isn't that the point of these games?

Advance warning: I do swear a bit, especially when I'm angry. It's not "every third word is a swear" level, but just a heads up: there are a few here and there. I can also be quite snarky at times, and this isn't my first Galar playthrough-I played Shield first as a normal game.

Anyway, let's get started!
We kick the game off by watching a video:

zkWbA6g.jpg

This is totally not Youtube :v:

Rose monologues for a while, stealing the professor's role in the intro, before introducing the "unbeatable" champion Leon.

4ybDg1P.jpg

As well as the best Pokémon 😍
(Yes I'm an unrepentant Zard stan-it's my favorite Pokémon. Should Leon's ace have been a Galar 'mon? Yes, but I don't really mind too much.)

xMVvCxD.jpg

Cool pose, but ugh Leon's outfit is hideous. Why is he wearing leggings under shorts? The cape is also kinda fug.

3K6l9Jv.jpg

Not that Raihan's is any better-what is that orange thing on his head? Although I'm a hypocrite because I have less than zero fashion sense.

3G4RbZm.jpg

I still want a Duraludon though :c

RA1BgxU.jpg

I very seriously doubt that.

Lyof3PS.jpg

Never? 🤔

p7eyLLV.jpg

You mean Gigantamax.

hqYcFDl.jpg

See?

pUIuujN.jpg

Title drop!

VwEBoGr.jpg

Suddenly SHEEP

7p59EG7.jpg

Nobody's home, go away.

RCLjycg.jpg
HwO3xE5.jpg

I wouldn't mind this house IRL, it's so cozy.

b54ZvNP.jpg

Literally me at home if I'm not playing games or on my laptop.

JHvQgg2.jpg

Who invited you in?

WKGV3G7.jpg

(M is the first letter of my real name.)

TrAjFTx.jpg

So not only did you just barge in my house, you let your sheep in as well? You better clean up the mess!

zopBITt.jpg

I guess? I mean, I only need one hand for the pose, so...

wjTRc8e.jpg

>Mum
*Britain intensifies*

Anyway, Hop wants to drag me out to meet Leon, but I'm not really feeling it-

2aqDTWR.jpg

-well, presents change things :v:

oJkQCP4.jpg

Bye Felicia.
(I don't actually hate Hop after playing the game, but at first I was like "please don't tell me we have another Hau". Luckily he's better, especially mid-game.)

8xwYzUv.jpg
hi4fR1C.jpg

One thing I love about the games is the flavor text for random objects. Just adds a little more life IMO.

6RucNIX.jpg

I also like how happy every Pokémon seems to be when you talk to them.

S2xCnUV.jpg

...I think I look fine, but okay?

pIPsQoC.jpg

*checks weather*
It's a beautiful day, so why do I need a hat? *grumble*

VFnbn5M.jpg

That is a massive bag. At least all our stuff will actually fit, though.

8pA5yqt.jpg

Meta reference!
(Yes I have the classic Joy-Cons. I actually didn't know the in-game Switch apparently changes to match yours.)

0VZfCsI.jpg

I would hope so.

9FyVbYq.jpg

Don't worry, I don't want to go into the forest.

P1EX1Fr.jpg

THE SHEEP ARE MULTIPLYING

liM7adG.jpg

At least my bag has room for everything, unlike yours >_>

Iy6frnU.jpg

Seriously, your bag is like a quarter the size of mine. How the hell are you gonna carry all your stuff?

3DCKdJg.jpg

The poor thing is trying to escape you.

LV8bnTU.jpg
l6jTQzR.jpg

And we live next to it why, exactly? Mum must have gotten a crazy good deal when she bought the house...

XgCYuyz.jpg
QH4ey9e.jpg

Not because you aren't gonna start running first? Or because you're already closer?

FIYTVi3.jpg

This is actually a really pretty area. Galar in general is a lovely looking region.

K2dlePM.jpg
nGSGWEK.jpg

Postwick is nice, but it doesn't really qualify as a town tbh, considering it appears to only have three houses...

mCftMLV.jpg

25 years later and this guy is still good for a laugh.

21JhMj6.jpg

We've come a long way from Gen 1 and simply being impressed by storing things on the PC.

What happens if I try to keep going?

RG7mpnP.jpg

Oh, okay...

DwhWxRc.jpg

"Hop's"? Not "Leon's" or "Hop's Family's"? 🤔

Anvxo8j.jpg

The little arena is a nice touch though.

vvbuoiV.jpg

Do you think Leon bought this house with his championship money?

s8AIZse.jpg

Calm down!

icZ0AM4.jpg

I know she's being nice, but I read this in a super passive-aggressive tone and it made it 100 times funnier.

zmKTzT5.jpg

Leon is not gonna fit in any of those, you nut.

lLNFN4T.jpg

Thank you. It's bad enough Hop gave me Hau vibes, but adding Barry vibes? *violent shudder*

7AMTjIw.jpg

It's...literally a straight line from here, but okay?

3khOtV8.jpg

Somehow I doubt that.

VCf6luU.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't trust Hop either.

OXyhNrd.jpg
ggeOAvy.jpg

Someone's clearly the favorite.
(I crap on Hop a lot, but to be fair this has to be uncomfortable for him, since it seems like he's completely overshadowed by Leon.)

tDXyP4l.jpg

I like cats, but bipedal Purrloin is a massive NO. Stay on all fours you weirdo.

9hH12gs.jpg

It's kind of hilarious that the most popular Pokémon in Galar are all Kanto 'mons. I can see Charizard and maybe Gengar, but Machamp? Eh.

Z9Cv98t.jpg

I think Leon has a problem. I count 35 hats in this shot, as well as three more on the other wall...no one really needs that many hats.

jusP1Dc.jpg

You're waiting for me why?

ewwVvWk.jpg

You act like this is my first Pokémon game. I've been playing longer than you've been alive (unless Hop is over 25 but looks 14 for some weird reason).

Y8tNsVq.jpg
l9luXvV.jpg

There isn't even any grass in our way! That's only if you take the long road!

InW2lsY.jpg

🙄

uUmt8xO.jpg

...I can see it.

EkSw3M8.jpg

Can't your Wooloo just fight them off? 😒

276saH0.jpg

Poor Leon can't even go home without being mobbed by fans.

BuhEazh.jpg
sIpmPdI.jpg

*insert shrieking fangirl noises*

Zdflp9Q.jpg

...Either Leon is really tall, or his Charizard is really short.
*Bulbapedias*
...wtf, I'm taller than Charizard? I'm 5'9''...I call BS on Zard only being 5'7''.

HSYzliF.jpg
gDLoG4V.jpg

At least Leon's personable. A lot of people turn douchey if they get famous.

deNuB9M.jpg

...Sometimes this "unbeatable champion" stuff sounds almost hivemindish and creepy.

0kmRTWe.jpg

He makes it sound like any rando could do that.
...I guess he's technically right, when you think about it. That seems to be the whole point of both the games in general and Nuzlockes.

IjFVhcX.jpg

So raise a Water- or Rock-type? I love Zard, but I won't claim he's totally undefeatable.

E5hUlhA.jpg

Eh, maybe not if its BST is sub-400 unless you overlevel the hell out of it. I respect the attitude though.

H7q5IzT.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if Leon actually wants to be defeated. That would make an interesting plot idea.

yPgVZsb.jpg

This is boring...can I go back to setting stuff on fire? Or at least have a Smash battle?

zuWaOBG.jpg

Rip Hop, Leon can't even see him.

3TdIMbK.jpg

This is pretty charming though.

Q7jMl1z.jpg

How long has it been since you saw him last? 🤔

9OmMWmh.jpg

Seriously though, it's pretty nice how much Hop looks up to Leon. They have a sweet dynamic.

OC2tzO7.jpg

I still wonder how he's never met us though. It's not like we just moved here like the protags of other regions.

FyMgASe.jpg

Same! We should hang out sometime.

Vxk8QmZ.jpg

And once again, he cheats and runs off first.

rLewE7S.jpg

Maybe that's why Hop kind of sucks at first?

4mfNW0v.jpg

Well, you won't be around forever...

So he leaves, and at first I was like "he's leaving Zard behind!" but then it just fades to black and we're back at their house.

OKfJIiP.jpg

Impatient greedy ass!

uGgwxea.jpg

You already have a Pokémon 😒
I'll take them though.

7uWIWBy.jpg

Anyway, now we get to meet our starters.

eS0c4IQ.jpg
unFoGJ2.jpg
CIUeT2D.jpg

So in some regions, I like all three starters. But in others, I only like two and hate the third (or we have Hoenn where I stan Treecko and the other two can fuck off.)
Galar is one region where I like all three. Of course I have a favorite, but I don't mind any of them.

I love this cutscene so much 😭
All three are just adorable and we get some insight into their personalities.

uGWD0Nd.jpg

I especially love this scene where Grookey/Scorbunny cheer up Sobble.

(When I first played Shield, I kept commenting about how cute the cutscene was and how it made me want all three. Someone jokingly suggested knocking Hop and Leon out and taking them all, and I was like "I would but I think Charizard would eat me :ohdear:." Still tempting though.)

f1B2f8N.jpg

Poor Hop, cursed to pick the one weak to ours. At least it's not as unfair here since he already has one 'mon.
(I lowkey miss when the rival had the starter good against ours, though.)

wsoJXtm.jpg

BUT I CAN'T DECIDE 😭

In all seriousness:

4josFZI.jpg

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of monkeys. Infernape is cool, and I don't mind the Unovan ones (even Simisear-IMO it didn't deserve last in that one poll). And while Grookey is cute, it's evos are kind of "meh" to me-Thwackey doesn't look much different, and then Rillaboom is just...giant monkey with a drum? It's okay, I guess. Good against Nessa, but that's basically its only good matchup.

VlYTz7i.jpg

Scorbunny is also cute, and Raboot's design is ironically funny given our present situation. But I'm just gonna say it, I don't really like Cinderace's design. I don't know what it is, but something about it is a little off-putting to me. I would say it's because it looks like it's wearing clothes, but that doesn't bother me in other cases (Lucario, Gardevoir, Machoke/champ to an extent), so I don't really know. I don't hate it, but I'm not a huge fan. Good against Milo and Rose, but that's it.

67DSv3j.jpg

Sobble is my favorite of this set. I like the line's progression the most, and it was also my pick when I first played Shield. People dump on Inteleon's design for some reason, but I think it's great. But since I've already used it before, maybe I should give someone else a turn? Good against Kabu, the Rock gym, and possibly Raihan if I can find an Ice Beam TR.

*thinks*

pntyDBk.jpg

Gonna stick with my favorite.

s0PNRJb.jpg

Look how happy he (or she) is!

6SruT5f.jpg

I also love this scene. Sobble high-fives you, I watched a let's player who picked Scorbunny and it fist bumps you, and...what does Grookey do?

pUDlb6V.jpg

Thanks for the easy win later!

yFggyVS.jpg

Good luck with that *snort*.

9SMSfOH.jpg

Are they arguing or getting to know each other?

wJRvIsm.jpg

I'm imagining him saying this in the most uninterested "that's nice dear" voice and it's too funny.

6oBbADh.jpg

F

NMffQxN.jpg

Never mind. This is actually a cool twist, although you wonder if Leon booted someone from his team for them.

DiefKnR.jpg

I stan 😍
Ugh, do I have to? *grumble*

2xOKmZ0.jpg

Isn't it still the middle of the day?

RV5tmEq.jpg

I hope you cooked enough for five people and five Pokémon, including one big dragon.

ogEzfWW.jpg

Another cute scene.

9dogZyI.jpg

The Fletchling weather vane is also cute. Surprised it's not a Corvi-line since this is Britain instead of France.

v3rd31j.jpg

...This would sound very weird without context.

Vwdnp3O.jpg

NOT HELPING

Lv3AEyh.jpg

Thank you for sounding less weird.

GkGPiFn.jpg

If I had a dollar for every time someone said that...

hVHDhzd.jpg

Oh you poor innocent child, you don't know how wrong you are.

pLBBayO.jpg

Do I get a say in this?

UwEnPVD.jpg

Sorry, but you're gonna lose to me about 10 times.

bEahKHJ.jpg

Well, duh. Some people keep them as pets.

oOxlJgY.jpg

The shade!

3XFhKiH.jpg
xNWeYUc.jpg

Do I have to?
>No
RUN AWAY

rkqCKSV.jpg

*pouts*

ROjl1as.jpg

Great advice. I don't like when trainers don't care about their Pokémon.

dYktqpe.jpg

...Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

9w0x4BO.jpg
FURFb7o.jpg

That's not how it works. Just because it worked for him doesn't mean it'll work for you.

sX9LqVC.jpg

Here we go!
(Luckily Hop has good music, since you fight him what feels like 37 times in-game.)

v7ZOqHu.jpg

2v1? Not fair!

WcPLNOd.jpg

...exactly how long have you had that Wooloo for it to only be level 3? 🤨
Also, meet Connor! Usually my naming theme in Nuzlockes is simply "human names, but not people I know IRL" and basically random. This time, I decided to try to have some logic behind my names.
Since Inteleon is basically the James Bond Pokémon, I figured I'd name him after Sean Connery, aka the original James Bond. But I've already had a Sean in another run, so I decided to shorten Connery to Connor.
...yeah my thought process is a little strange :sweatdrop:

(Pound -> Tackle)

yGPQ691.jpg

So far so good.

(repeat x2, Wooloo faints)

geIAL8m.jpg

This shot will lead into probably my biggest issue with these games, although it's not relevant yet since we only have one 'mon.

v4Muoyn.jpg

Looking good so far.

X91cGLV.jpg

And there's our win button for Scorbunny.

6tafN2e.jpg

You wish that would help.

(Water Gun)

xg9buQn.jpg

...I did not actually expect it to do that much. I was figuring half.

zAEKepi.jpg

Yes Hop, I do. I'm 30 and been playing these games since the beginning.

(it Tackles, or more accurately kicks Connor in the face)

ivuQAEo.jpg

Yeah, this is over.

qWVHDeG.jpg

Two levels in that fight is a little unnecessary, but oh well.

mx1DGIp.jpg

1) Type advantages
2) Your Wooloo was level 3, so not threatening.

e6rPwAP.jpg

That would be totally unfair, since your Charizard is 60 levels higher than us.

THbWcU9.jpg

Appreciate the heal, though.

tc4GQFw.jpg

I don't wanna! I want him to go away.

Mb7suTC.jpg

You lost. No way is he gonna let you do that.

JfM4hmJ.jpg
nlv2odm.jpg

Leon is lowkey shady AF here and I love it.

MxhjLqC.jpg

I have a lot to learn? I just kicked Hop's butt 2v1!

VQBmWIn.jpg

*grumbles*

gyfmSSW.jpg

Bye.

u8A6vJk.jpg
PLlpZcg.jpg

*hysterical laughter*

Now that he's gone, can I look at Connor real fast?

3LTJE9E.jpg
KQ0ymOl.jpg

-Attack is fine since the line is a Special attacker, and +Defense is good for survival. "Likes to fight" is ironic considering the -Attack, but either way, solid all around!

aGwltN8.jpg
vGtUZ8a.jpg

How could I not? It sounded more like an explosion.

3drfmjk.jpg
wBzb3Ri.jpg

Either it did or something snatched it. Either way, it's dead.

wZ5GofF.jpg

Oh well, nothing we can do for it.

k5aDZ1P.jpg
Wuhqb1t.jpg

Frustrating unexplored backstory #1! What exactly happened to upset Sonia like that? I'm sure this place has a ton of ideas.

pFWX09u.jpg

I think the world will be fine without that one Wooloo, so let's just go.

3qqv4cg.jpg

No, it's called "I want to continue to live".

IAiBv2G.jpg

I mean, I have a heart, but there's nothing we can do for it since we're just starting out. Maybe Leon could do something, but not us.

KnxWWma.jpg

*Gordon Ramsay voice* Fuck off!
...Don't worry, I'll speak at your funeral, and I'll shout you out when I beat Leon. Bye~!

Ibn5bKG.jpg

😔
We don't even have any supplies, you moron!

3F6kLX6.jpg
eodKoFU.jpg

...I did not actually remember you started with the Fishing Rod. For some reason I thought you got it a little later.

Muuuuuuuuum, Hop's trying to drag me into the scary forest!

sLn9lsW.jpg

Oh, shut up.

Rsuvxud.jpg

Yeah, we can. It's called "survival instinct".

CWK1siw.jpg

*sigh*
Welp, guess we're dead...seems like a good stopping place.

Next time, we die to a legendary and then start filling out the team. I'm not going to promise an update schedule because I'm terrible at keeping schedules, but I'm gonna try for one a week. I hope you enjoy!
Question of the update: who's your favorite Galar starter?

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much ¯\_(ಠωಠ)_/¯
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Favourite Galar Starter? Definitely Sobble. I love the little bean. Also, I like how you're doing everything in your power to avoid the plot of this game.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Good luck on your new run! I'm very much enjoying your casual commentary style.

Never noticed a lot of these fine details, the 3 favorite pokemon poster is indeed quite amusing (though they are the aces of three of the most famous Galar trainers so perhaps that makes sense. Kantonian pokemon aren't only from Kanto after all, we just me them there first. But then again, I'm a bit of a Genwunner at times so I might be biased). And I had no idea about the Joycon feature! That is extremely cool (and I also have the basic colors so I never suspected). I also agree about pokemon heights. To me they are not canon, and also I assume pokemon being biological creatures have quite a variety in their natural size anyway, so they represent averages I guess.

Connor is a great name for a Sobble. Can't wait to see who you catch next.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Galar has no sense of style: leggings under shorts, genwunners... 😤 At least the houses are cozy. 😌

For all we know, Hop made it big on bitcoin. 🤑 (Could Hau or Barry do that?)

Q7jMl1z.jpg

How long has it been since you saw him last? 🤔
There is a lot of silliness in SWSH's plot, but not this. Puberty is nuts. 0-0

QOTD: I'm Team Sobble too!

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
Hey, I figured I'd check this out~

It's Team Grookey for me (It helps that Rillaboom is a gorilla with a tree stump that functions as a drum; there really hasn't been any gorilla mons, and gorillas are my favorite primate; no, Darmanitan doesn't count, it's a fucking orangutan, not a gorilla.) Grookey also has a high-five but with one hand/paw, by the way, if you're curious about starter interactions with the trainer when they're chosen.

Sobble is adorable, though, and Connor is a great name for a future Inteleon. If he doesn't say shaken, not stirred at some point, I will be very disappointed, though. 😉😛

It'll be exciting to see how you fill up your team!

REDalchemist

S.P.D. Jack Landors
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Whomst
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
There once was a man named Gold Roger, who was King of the Pirates. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams.
HELL YEAH!! It's super endearing to see more GEN 8 (or any fan runs of any game that isn't the ones easiest to emulate (Gens 1-5)) Especially since the switch comes with a super comfy and great screenshot tool to make forum runs like this possible (thanks 3ds)

As for my personal Galar starter of choice, if it wasn't obvious from my banter in my SwSh run, it's def Grookey. I've always been a fan of the occasional monkey based mon but my love for it is magnified twofold by my slight distain for Scorbunny and my strong dislike for the Sobble line. Personally kinda saddened to see how the Galar starters ended up as a whole since I see them as a total downgrade to the Alola ones IMO.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today we die to a legendary 🐺 and then make our first catches.

@Kit_The_Feef: *highfives a fellow Sobble fan*
Hey, if I have the chance to run from the plot, I'm gonna take it even if it is pointless-at least I can annoy the NPCs :V:

@RubyClaw: Glad you're enjoying it!
I guess that makes sense, although I still question them all being Gen 1 'mons (though as a huge Zard fan, I won't complain).
The Joycons Easter egg was something I just discovered recently, although I haven't actually seen it with anything other than the default controllers.
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing about Pokémon sizes. I could definitely see the 'dex listing as an average (I still think some are way too short though-not only Zard, but Lucario comes to mind (3'11''?) as well as the Nidos (4'3'' and 4'7'')?

@Bowser's Family Vacation: I wonder if all Galar's style went into home design and people forgot how to dress as a result 😐
Hey, maybe you're right about Hop! And no, Barry and Hau are way too patient for cryptomining .__.
That could be it, although I swear it wasn't that drastic for me ._.
Same! :D

@Memento: Nice to have you!
Grookey would be my second choice, and I approve of Rillaboom's environmental conciousness. And that sounds adorable as well ❤️
*looks it up*
OMG it was 🥺
Haha, I may let Connor sneak that line in later, especially if he makes it that far. :fingerscrossed: we find some good teammates!

@REDalchemist: Bless the Switch for making screenshotting easy and convenient 🙌
The 3DS definitely could've done with something similar :c
Grookey is pretty cool, although I'm a little sad to hear you feel that way about the set overall. But in a way, I kind of agree-Alola's set was very cool (well, Decidueye and Incineroar are).

Question: I'm #teamSobble all the way. I tend to favor the reptilian starters, and I just like the line's personality the best. But again, all three are cool, although I still can't put my finger on what bugs me about Cinderace's design...

bA6bR78.jpg

This is creepy. Also, is "weald" an actual word?
*searches*
Huh, it is.

EQi8mFK.jpg

Is it weird if I half expected Hop to ditch you here?

fCd7XVK.jpg

Who cares, we can still leave before something here murders us.

naI5xzj.jpg

Yes, which is why we should leave ASAP.

i3raYKU.jpg

I'm telling you, it's too late for it-let's just save ourselves.

hQZsofC.jpg

...Somebody doesn't seem to have much self-preservation.

lqFV29R.jpg

*punts it away*

4riyPyw.jpg
pKxePjM.jpg

Healing doesn't do much good when we're probably going to be eaten by something in here, but okay.

jGJ1Kcr.jpg

I love the aesthetics here. And the music is also nice, although the second half gives me weird '80s vibes for some reason.

o8zkADw.jpg

This shot was really well-timed. Obviously these don't count as encounters since I can't get Pokéballs yet, so I'm just fighting them for a little EXP.

*wolf howls*

Eb0AhgD.jpg

I'm telling you, screw the Wooloo and let's get out of here.

jwg9aaR.jpg

Is it just me, or do the 'mons here look vaguely washed-out? Idk if it's the fog or what, but I swear their colors aren't as vibrant as normal.

vcfU8G8.jpg

Do you have a death wish?

Y2Qhnk2.jpg
AmmKGJx.jpg

This feels like the beginning of a creepypasta.

vioWpsU.jpg

Not helping...

d0SuoHy.jpg
ul5dVMO.jpg

Now do you see why I kept telling you we should leave?

eJ7Fpe8.jpg

Oh, hello.

rfKSEux.jpg

*shoves Hop over and runs*

LU8d9Pm.jpg

...are you supposed to be saying "sword" or "lord"? Or some weird combination?

SDksmR4.jpg

I love this scene for its creepy vibes. When I first played Shield, I legit thought I had a creepypasta version until I realized this was normal (was mostly playing blind).

jtxqS3G.jpg

Off the wall question, but does anyone know what level Zacian/Zamazenta are in this fight (if they have an actual level)?

4smzRFX.jpg
Ac5vp8c.jpg

Well shit. Guess the run's over :cybercrime:

PbVnTQe.jpg

Well, maybe not if it just acts like a big fog machine.

yMufRvM.jpg

I can see the fin on Connor's head, but that's about it...

Rm4jPFH.jpg

Oh jeez, did it actually murder Hop? :ohdear:

LCXW8j5.jpg
Cc4zXjv.jpg

Apparently not.
*checks*
And Connor is fine too. Guess the run's not over yet 😅

6D2rJUk.jpg

It's basically a straight line? Even with the fog.

NKuzpuh.jpg

Not sure why, but using "pants" as an adjective cracks me up.

dj2mf7j.jpg

Can you punish him? How about take Scorbunny and give it to me?

mjWBAdv.jpg

Hey, I was trying to meet up with you! He's the one who dragged me into this.

qFWC7T5.jpg

*dad vibes intensify*

hZ0LKnZ.jpg

I told you it's dead!

x5x0Lbv.jpg

...oh.
...Why is it staring at Zard's crotch? 🤨

M4pYqpE.jpg

I wonder if they'd get mad if I ate it? I'm hungry...

0QPjLRu.jpg

So does that mean the Nuzlocke is over?

25GcO9T.jpg
fFCjuUd.jpg

Just need to find some lamb sauce...

9n9M3zu.jpg

No he didn't 😠

6J43KkU.jpg

I guess.

R12SQf9.jpg
bzAMBe8.jpg

You didn't even do anything 😒

48d3clz.jpg

Well, technically it never actually attacked...

EZbofi2.jpg
XVZoZgR.jpg

Maybe it was a ghost?

9zYPjMk.jpg
uhbaLgS.jpg

Well, the two Skwovets and Rookidee I ran into were plenty real, so 🤷‍♂️

Gn1AgxQ.jpg

Why don't you do it? You're the "unbeatable" champion and all...

XhCzYWl.jpg

Yes please!

U3nDp5A.jpg

Whatever.

9FB5ZtJ.jpg
qCA25aO.jpg

I was trying to do that before you dragged me into the forest for a stupid Wooloo!

...but we have cell phones, so I can just call her later.

rjqkSyQ.jpg

It's five minutes away, but whatever...

wXRu4KA.jpg

Where did the second Budew come from?

zBFpsLZ.jpg
oxbU79O.jpg

I like this scene also.

sRjd47P.jpg

I was trying to, but Hop wouldn't let me because he wanted to go into the forest.

WhNEAHD.jpg

They make it sound like going to Wedgehurst is some huge trip, when it's right up the road.

VDJVPit.jpg
JHhmUAb.jpg

Thanks, but where did you get a spare 30 grand to give me?

M0bdajH.jpg
V3Sq9Hq.jpg

I won't, because that could end very badly...

0sFdf5f.jpg
g43pC5A.jpg

So precious 🥺

wFjloF1.jpg

It's nice that you start with more than one Potion, although with that much money it's not like you'll run out.

x1Fi4yo.jpg

*snort*
In your dreams.

n6RcuF8.jpg

He actually said something smart! 😲

ydJThUm.jpg
41xSMGz.jpg

Why does the outside give me haunted mansion vibes?

P2BMxOC.jpg

Well, I'd rather just go straight through until I can make catches...

NGcf3zM.jpg

...never mind.

5prmb3X.jpg

Nice.

6auK4OX.jpg

Also nice. It was kind of weird seeing them put multiple items in one ball, since the last time I remember that was in Colosseum/Gale of Darkness, and those were chests instead.

gHJHnGO.jpg

I wouldn't know, I've never been in one. It feels like that in a car though.

bihXH9v.jpg

Hey, best Pokémon is alone!

Pb05oOG.jpg

I would ask if he wanted to join me, but that would make the game way too easy.

vxrmzQ1.jpg

At least he's friendly, though 😍
Only for the cameras.
Really?
Nah, but I have to act fierce.
Fair enough.

AEx8w4y.jpg
ke1LGDr.jpg

Not a bad claim.

5PAWvv6.jpg

*fangasm noises*

NK18JLF.jpg
k7kJGXD.jpg

I had no idea you were roadblocked from the Pokémon center until you go to the lab.

RAmbWwt.jpg

Please don't patronize me.

VTZXB1Z.jpg
6zFR5xQ.jpg

I love how Zard slowly walks up behind you as Leon talks.

lGjg7Rd.jpg

It's bad when you say your Pokémon is better with directions than you are. Although I guess it helps that he can fly.

RyM7UfB.jpg

You have no idea just how bad he is at getting around...
I feel like you have some stories.

In we go!

HhCvgcw.jpg

I take it he doesn't read much?

U4uRGdZ.jpg
utATqke.jpg

A good boy!

iSVBUjL.jpg
6hHjbvC.jpg

She sounds like she's sick of him tbh.

5YTEskH.jpg
Q77dFHm.jpg

Meanwhile he's more interested in the puppy than her.

j4iap9E.jpg

So Leon and Sonia traveled together?

nCpwzYx.jpg
Uj22eL4.jpg

That sounds so passive-aggressive, like he's super uncomfortable around her 😬
Did they have a bad breakup? 🤔

l1S1tHT.jpg

Meanwhile she vaguely comes off as having feelings for him...someone should make their backstory a fic.

O0nn4Tl.jpg

Pleased to meet you.

xoj5XeA.jpg

I thought you were doing that?

Udh4AjC.jpg
hTXEv1y.jpg

I think she's jealous.

svkRfln.jpg

So what's up with all the Rotom stuff the last two gens? At least it's nowhere near as intrusive as Rotomdex was in SM.

aqWuDUL.jpg
doVa6Ii.jpg

Even with Zard and a phone? Jeez.

9NuFhLW.jpg

I think so, and Bulbapedia answers most of my questions.

6dwMnFh.jpg

Convenient!

WEgRQHM.jpg

Much appreciated. Does this mean I can get catches now?

UMkJlde.jpg
xvYy5gw.jpg

I suppose, as long as I can start catching 'mons.

DMUg9md.jpg
vDSgFvf.jpg

Yep, she's definitely jealous. Exploring that would make a killer backstory fic.

bKbsgsS.jpg

Now what?

XPGWhIQ.jpg

Why do you ask?

H5m6FQa.jpg
YoemOQE.jpg

Oh, ok. Free stuff is always welcome.

Brb49Y2.jpg

The ones in Galar seem extra big. Although I doubt anything will ever beat Castelia.

NOFvYz4.jpg
XeOZWOE.jpg

I don't think you have to be that obsessed...

fw5CXIh.jpg

What now?

xdkEni5.jpg

Yes, but I doubt you did.

J7DkStw.jpg

Unless you're doing a sololocke. But since I'm not, can I finally do that now?

TQsqdPb.jpg
IZu5TBC.jpg

Duh.

EQ5PT5l.jpg
qymUx1Z.jpg

Imagine if healing injuries was this easy IRL. Then we'd really have an overpopulation problem...although at least the current situation wouldn't be so bad.

vjbH8lS.jpg

Bitch please. I told you, I've been playing longer than you've been alive.

YpYbgvo.jpg

No it's not -_-

Lvy5seC.jpg

Smart idea, especially in a Nuzlocke.

MdKQNgP.jpg

Pass.

cBvx8jo.jpg

This is one of the best QOL improvements in SwSh. Instead of having to traipse all over the region (or worse, wait until the very end), having this available at any time is super handy. And more points for rolling 3 NPCs that are usually in totally different cities into one. I've heard the relearner is a little busted when it comes to stone evos, though.

0d4CWLt.jpg

Anyway, stocking up. I have a habit of buying items in multiples of 5 or 10.

ykajcZn.jpg

Eww, you actually believe in those? I think they're a bunch of crap (which people tell me makes sense when I tell them my birthday?)

pk9BTD4.jpg
7C2LrU3.jpg

*hysterical laughter*
Yeah, no. Leon got all the "great trainer" genes.

7BfW0Xg.jpg

This is pretty handy too, although I don't really use berries much. Might come back later though.

BSOy3rh.jpg

If you say so.

qGKiBV4.jpg

This will be very handy when we reach the Wild Area.

Ic2LAtl.jpg
4mssOkj.jpg

I wouldn't know, I have no fashion sense. Literally all I wear is jeans and graphic tees that are usually snarky in nature/occasionally video game-themed. And you'll see that in the run-I never bother with character customization, since I think it's too expensive (I'd rather use the money toward medicine/balls/TMs/etc.) and because again, I have no fashion sense.

WQqhivX.jpg

Ugh, how many more times are you going to show up before I can finally do things?

ofDUVOg.jpg
qN0ZdoS.jpg

I do like how the Gym Challenge is treated as a massive tournament/spectacle in Galar. Reminds me of the NFL/NBA here (although I'm not a sports fan). I imagine the World Cup is pretty similar in other countries, although soccer isn't nearly as popular here in the US (probably because we suck at it-I think we've had two good teams in my life? And those were both women's teams, which get even less attention than the men even though they're better).

j3Fp3qw.jpg

This seems kind of unfair, though. How are you supposed to get endorsed if you don't know the right people?

bHbzUP4.jpg

That's because you're not.

2ACndbi.jpg

If she's smart-which she should be, since she's a professor-she'll agree with Leon.

gF39IP3.jpg
AkJpYm6.jpg

I'm trying, but you keep interrupting me before I can do anything! And I don't want you as a rival, you're too weak. But at least you aren't as annoying as Barry/Hau or as rude as Silver.
*he runs away*
Can I finish exploring now?

e96ldfj.jpg

I really wish the game got into this backstory more. Could make for a deep side story.

CHwRYiz.jpg

Brains > brawn.

EENnKBG.jpg

I forgot this was given to you so early. Unfortunately, it's just money here...

Xg6ZoYw.jpg

Again, the visuals in this game are great.

TeMkJcF.jpg

Onward!

zveCXHA.jpg

I just wanna catch some Pokémon without being interrupted 😭

z1Viiex.jpg

Well if you'd STOP INTERRUPTING ME we could!

QOmUloy.jpg

No, not an unskippable tutorial! 😱

2h2Vb4Q.jpg

You can put your hands down, he's not here to arrest you.

wbDSJZu.jpg

*laughs in Nuzlocke*
Although I've never even tried to in vanilla...

8F2XtAn.jpg

Even though you're like the only other person besides the player to have a varied team?

FSN9Qcz.jpg

no

*one boring tutorial later*

QStW5ti.jpg
L0wJEto.jpg

These are very much appreciated though.

C3zzSKw.jpg

...exactly how does that work?

6V3Yif0.jpg

At least that makes sense, minus the part where your bench 'mons get EXP for doing nothing.

KcbycfP.jpg

You do that.

The good news is, now we can finally make catches! So back to Route 1.

So my plan for encounters is a cross between "run blindly" and "search the grass". Gonna roughly alternate between them. Anyway, our catch is...?

00ABX3Y.jpg

Nice! Corviknight is one of my favorite Galar 'mons (and I say that as a massive Skarmory fan-I love them both). If Skarm was available before the DLC, I might consider doing a duolocke, although I have no idea how you'd get past Kabu...

pmhfIlu.jpg

Easy enough, especially since nowadays Route 1 encounters can't even break out. Which is really stupid tbh.

R17voJ6.jpg
UtyO3Ay.jpg

Also getting EXP after catching a 'mon is still weird to me. The level is appreciated though, but Bind is not.

MKCjLt5.jpg
YpDYiMK.jpg

His name is Edgar, AKA Edgar Allan Poe. Since Corviknight is a raven, and "The Raven" is one of his most known works.
Not happy with Timid at all, but what can you do? Besides, natures don't bother me too much.

wue95kK.jpg

...where the heck did the other 5 Poké Balls come from?

So I was going to go back and catch something in the Slumbering Weald, but it's closed again, so that'll have to wait until later. Instead, let's go to Route 2, and get...

8XLP5yU.jpg

...TIL Seedot is in Galar. This was the first time I've seen one, and IIRC I never saw any of the Lotad line in Shield.

n6HIewC.jpg
WHvFA2N.jpg

Apparently I missed the "catch" screenshot...
So this is actually the first time I've had a Seedot in a Nuzlocke, and possibly ever. The obvious name was John for John Locke (Nuzleaf's namesake from Lost, and where the challenge got the name), but since mine is female, I changed it to Johanna.
Sassy seems pretty decent, although I have no clue how to use one of these. But hopefully it's a good sign.

Stopping here for now.

Next time, we train and meet the professor.
Question of the update: who's your favorite Galar 'mon?

Last edited:

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Question of the update: Gotta say the whole Applin line. Some people think they're uncreative and stupid, but I find them cute. I'm also a huge Centiskorch and Frosmoth fan. What can I say? I like Bug-types. I also think there are plenty of fics out there that try to explore Leon and Sonia's past. I personally think Leon friendzoned Sonia because he's too dumb to realise that she likes him.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Favorite is Sirfetch'd. Farfetch'd was already my favorite Kanto mon and getting an evolution into the chad duck we love was awesome. Next spots after go to Eiscue (it's a really funny design and I unironically love it) and Rillaboom (really grew on me after a fresh playthrough, favorite of the Galar starters).

Regarding the phantom Pokeballs, you get them sometime after the Slumbering Weald fiasco and Leon's tutorial (I think Sonia might give em to you, dont quote me though). If you catch a mon before meeting with Leon on Route 2 though, you can just straight up skip the catching tutorial.

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Nice job with the catches; Rookidee and Seedot are solid! You get pokeballs from your game mom after Slumbering Weald, so the tutorial, thankfully, is never needed after you catch a mon in the first route.

Sonia, I've always found, is not jealous of people, but not sure of herself and wanting to do something important that'll make her recognized. And I'm sad that you don't like Hau. 😭

Anyway, my favorite Galar Pokemon? Grimmsnarl. I've always wanted a demon-like mon in Pokemon ever since Dragon Warrior Monsters, and the Impidimp line makes it happen. It helps that it's very powerful and versatile.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Two pretty good catches! (Though Timid is a bit annoying). Seedot is sadly pretty weak in most early gen games with a problematic move pool and no way to evolve early, but in Galar with the move reminder and early stones this little guy is going to be pretty good and quite fast (and very useful against the second gym).

My favorite Galar Pokémon? I agree, Corviknight is one of my favorites as well, perhaps second in line, so that's a very solid option. But I think Centiskorch is my number one among this region. But I'll give you a final answer once I'll finish my tier list :).

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
EQi8mFK.jpg

Is it weird if I half expected Hop to ditch you here?
But then how would you navigate the straight line without him!? 😱

hQZsofC.jpg

...Somebody doesn't seem to have much self-preservation.
I actually always thought this was endearing about Hop's character: that he is willing to drop everything to help a Pokemon in need. it probably also helps that he has a canon fondness for wooloo :P I suppose it's also set-up for the conclusion to his arc, but I don't think there is enough of it.

yMufRvM.jpg

I can see the fin on Connor's head, but that's about it...
*squints* Oh! Oh! I can see it too! I always thought it was a fade to white! Neat!

Rm4jPFH.jpg

Oh jeez, did it actually murder Hop? :ohdear:
Hop when he comes back to catch the dogs:

Heh. I guess charging in when the other is late is a trait that runs in the family. Any reasonable person: "Oh, OK, Leon is in a business meeting. I'll wait." Hop: s u s

Gn1AgxQ.jpg

Why don't you do it? You're the "unbeatable" champion and all...
He is busy re-defining Galarian fashion! 😤

ydJThUm.jpg
41xSMGz.jpg

Why does the outside give me haunted mansion vibes?

Said no pet in the history of ever about the vet.

nCpwzYx.jpg
Uj22eL4.jpg

That sounds so passive-aggressive, like he's super uncomfortable around her 😬
Did they have a bad breakup? 🤔
They had a fierce custody battle over best doggo Yamper.

svkRfln.jpg

So what's up with all the Rotom stuff the last two gens? At least it's nowhere near as intrusive as Rotomdex was in SM.
Pokemon is essentially a modern fantasy series, and smart technology, like it or not, is part of our modern world, so I think Pokemon looked at how to implement that and remembered that it has a creature that animates technology. I'm curious about what Pokemon they would have used if Rotom didn't exist. 🤔

cBvx8jo.jpg

This is one of the best QOL improvements in SwSh. Instead of having to traipse all over the region (or worse, wait until the very end), having this available at any time is super handy. And more points for rolling 3 NPCs that are usually in totally different cities into one. I've heard the relearner is a little busted when it comes to stone evos, though.
That it is! This QOL feature is a huge part in why Gen 8 teambuilding is so fun! :D

I wouldn't know, I have no fashion sense. Literally all I wear is jeans and graphic tees that are usually snarky in nature/occasionally video game-themed. And you'll see that in the run-I never bother with character customization, since I think it's too expensive (I'd rather use the money toward medicine/balls/TMs/etc.) and because again, I have no fashion sense.
I'm the same in the first part, but I love dressing up my video game characters. I was trying to get all the clothing in New Horizons for a while there....

Thinking about it, a Sword/Shield povertylocke could definitely work.... 🤔

QOTD: I'm not sure if Galarian Meowth counts. If not, I'll give it to Corviknight. :P Either way, the steel type got some bangers this gen. (My honorable mention is Clobbopus!)

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we begin training and make our way to the professor's.

@Kit_The_Feef: Applin is pretty neat-I was shocked when I found out it was part-Dragon. Do you like one evo more or both evenly?
Centiskorch is awesome as well, and Frosmoth is pretty.
...honestly, I could definitely see that happening, especially with how obsessed with Pokémon Leon is. That and I usually see him shipped with Raihan...

@LucarioOfLegends: Sirfetch'd is pretty cool-I was surprised to see Farfetch'd get an evo after 23 years. Would like to try one sometime (maybe this run will get lucky?)
Eiscue is hilarious and Rillaboom seems solid as well.
Dang it I thought that tutorial was skippable :facepalm:

@Memento: Yeah, I'm pretty happy with them so far. Johanna especially impressed me since I've never used a Seedot before.
I wonder why they don't mention the early Poké Balls in game?
Poor Sonia sounds like she really needs some self-confidence...I can definitely relate :c
As for Hau...I just wish he had more of a character arc and more to his personality besides "lol malasadas and constantly jumping up and down". I dump on Barry a lot for being annoying, but at least he got some development later on (post-Candice). And I've heard Hau's worse in the Ultras because apparently they out took some of the other characters' scenes for him to show up more, which is just...😬
I like Grimmsnarl's design, I just wish it wasn't part-Fairy :(

@RubyClaw: I was so bummed when I saw Edgar was Timid :|
Yeah I never really gave Seedot much thought because I always pick Treecko and it's not very common. But she could definitely be handy for Nessa.
I agree with both your choices! Looking forward to that list also 😉

@Bowser's Family Vacation: I'll just get Connor to lead the way, or borrow Zard from Leon :v:
It is nice that Hop's so caring, but I just feel like he should be more worried about himself. And yeah, his arc could've used a little more, but I like what they did with it.
Maybe Leon and Hop's family are extreme sticklers for punctuality? The whole Macro Cosmos scene is pretty ridiculous-if I get there I'll have a whole rant ready.
Galarion fashion is gonna need a re-re-design between Leon and Rose's "incognito" outfit :psyduck:
...So Magnolia and Sonia are secretly witches? 🤔
I'm dreading ever having to take my cat to the vet, I have no idea how I'd even get her in the car...
Honestly, I could see that happening nowadays, since we have people leaving their inheritances to their dogs ._.
Fair point. Maybe Magnemite? Although then Magnezone would probably look more like a TV...
YES, it's gonna be fun once I have more 'mons to work with 🙌
That sounds extremely time-consuming x_x
I'll allow Galarian forms as well 👍. And man, everyone loves Corviknight!

Question: favorite Galar 'mon is a three-way tie between Inteleon, Corviknight, and Toxtricity-all three have great designs and are solid in battle. Centiskorch is a close fourth.

Before we get started, there's something about the title screen I wanted to mention:

ZtF9PKY.jpg

I don't know why, but seeing the lone Poké Ball on the field makes me a little sad for some reason. I know it's silly, but something about it is weirdly poignant, I guess thinking about possible implications.
(I love how it changes after you defeat Leon, although I feel like that would be really sad if you're doing a Nuzlocke and someone died in that fight...hopefully I'm not predicting the future :ohdear:)

Anyway:

ZLG0CU0.jpg

(Everyone was camera shy :v: )
Since it's just these three for now, we're gonna need to do some grinding. So back to Route 1.

7mzlId3.jpg

I led with Johanna, but Absorb didn't do much. This was after two.

I8nhSiZ.jpg

Then I switched to Edgar, but that Timid nature means he can't hit for shit.

f21XTJY.jpg

Really? -_-

cSRSALp.jpg

Ugh, I guess Connor's gonna need to finish this.

zJVbA5E.jpg

Thanks, Connor.
*happy chirp*

f3UhsMu.jpg

That should help a little.

viTGKe8.jpg

Aww, Grubbin would've been a cool encounter...I like Vikavolt :c

owpzLV3.jpg

But at least Edgar can actually fight it.

DuEKlae.jpg

It derped and used Mud-Slap 😆

JiDWh7c.jpg
RnyMosp.jpg

The double level is nice, but this is honestly one of my biggest issues with SwSh. I already thought the change to the Exp Share in Gen 6 was kind of ridiculous, but at least it was toggleable. But having it be forced on constantly is just ridiculous. It basically ruins the level curve completely unless you constantly switch out your team, which wouldn't bother me too much since I tend to favor rotations, but...at least give us the option! Plus what happens when you only need to grind one or two 'mons?
End rant. Also, Johanna learned Astonish.

UANh3GF.jpg

The Vise Grip animation cracked me up. (When did they change the spelling?)

hO0sWfo.jpg

I wish they would've made Nickit good, but it's not really any better than Purrloin. Shame because I like the design :c

YHne0qU.jpg

Should make easy pickings for Johanna though.

MIN0xDa.jpg

Beat Up is a move I wish more things had, it's a unique concept. Although it only did 1 damage ._.

b7pVvDk.jpg

I was aiming to get Edgar to 8 before moving on. Johanna should be good at 7 since she has Absorb.

cpw7GGB.jpg

Why? His Attack is already bad enough ☹️

gqNOA7c.jpg

It's getting better though, and he also learned Hone Claws.

That should be enough for now.

SNkHFoO.jpg

Decided to go ahead and grab some berries before heading out.

j9A2PfU.jpg

Onward!

aPwvizt.jpg

Birds and foxes-is this Pokémon or Smash? 🤔
(I feel like no one will know what I'm talking about...)

1MNY5Is.jpg

The good news is, Edgar's a little bit tougher now.

TZk5uNi.jpg

Hilariously dramatic zoom-in on a young child.

h9xp8vV.jpg

Must we? I really don't want to fight a child...

uMaEOSQ.jpg

Fine. I do like these intros though.

MahmAkW.jpg

This might be tougher than it looks...

Eb3I4IZ.jpg

Although with the berry or a Potion, I think we'll win a damage race.

kH9XEco.jpg

Yep.

g2MlRkE.jpg

Jeez, if a kid gives you that much cash, people in Galar must be loaded o_o

0Me7TbK.jpg

But skipping trainers takes out what little challenge the game has...

1lyYebB.jpg

But why?

Ols0N7G.jpg
s2TCaRb.jpg

Stockpiling~

Vmdk8r6.jpg

Chewtle/Drednaw is another Galar 'mon I really like. He yell :V:

2AGwSbf.jpg

JMO, but Hoothoot is the worst of the early birds. I actually would like to use one to see if I'm wrong, but I never get the chance 😐

IIYLJyE.jpg

I guess that's fair, although I think I prefer strong to cute. But there are rare exceptions (Flygon comes to mind as an example of both).

ahalOTu.jpg

Great matchup!

m7aKwJ7.jpg

A well-earned level, and she also tried to learn Growth, which I put over Harden.

YQKIKSB.jpg

Connor didn't really need the level, but eh. Stats are looking good though.

cQiKI1L.jpg

That expression cracked me up.

0y6AGDA.jpg
rDXufKi.jpg

I think everyone knows this, especially the starter triangle.

XUzpENN.jpg

Almost there~

tZ4bR8l.jpg

If you couldn't beat Hop, you have no chance against me.

HOiSaml.jpg

Well of course you couldn't beat anyone with that. I don't mind this line, but obviously a Blipbug won't be able to do much.

waS5aGN.jpg

*gasp*
Someone actually being smart! Not that it helped.

XxqwXF9.jpg

And that wouldn't be much help either.
Aside: I love all the unique camera angles they added in SwSh.

8OZQhtX.jpg

Almost...

GFclUMQ.jpg

Dang it, I didn't want to use that. But we won in the end.

wW5bIlS.jpg

Ouch :c

lfgVmua.jpg

I can't really see that being useful in a game with visible encounters...does it actually make them stay away from you?

gmHObqh.jpg

What a lovely view.

bewecs5.jpg

No use fishing right now, I already got my catch.

UVupMCv.jpg

Yet another cute little mini-arena. How much do you want to bet we'll have a battle here soon?

wHlcsbP.jpg

I'm not blind, Hop. (IRL me has terrible eyesight, though-I've had glasses since I was 8.)

Ec6AbAE.jpg

Be patient!

xexuDjQ.jpg

Yeah, I figured that. But at least she tries.

R0p2d7V.jpg

You know, it's hard for me to see Sonia as a researcher/professor-she just doesn't have the personality for it IMO. She gets credit for trying though.

feMDzoJ.jpg

No no, it would've been rude of me to interrupt.

5eCT65s.jpg

Pleased to meet you. It amuses me that they've continued the "professor named after a tree" theme for 8 gens...wait, is Kukui a type of tree?
*searches*
Huh, it is.

6TUTQwj.jpg

What friends?

GNDesok.jpg

Yep, that's me.

xJlcwF5.jpg

Sorry, even if this wasn't a Nuzlocke that's basically impossible. I don't think I've ever even filled one halfway...

SesTOZm.jpg

Well, even if I hadn't heard about it before playing the game, it was the first thing shown before I could start playing, so...

aytcFnN.jpg

Just like Sycamore with Megas and Kukui with Z-moves, etc.

6c3qSTM.jpg

Not really? I mean, maybe in terms of being strategic with it.

Sxy5zLe.jpg

At least he's not tutorializing.

m3R4IJq.jpg
tQV21YF.jpg

*snort*
Sweet tea is the only type you need :v:

9A2aKc7.jpg
Mo1T0HT.jpg

Stop being so demanding! We've already established you don't deserve it.

M8UF212.jpg

I can think of several reasons: Hop sucks, nepotism accusations...

0NJcNh8.jpg

That too.

gxo01si.jpg

I like Magnolia-she gives me "sweet old grandma" vibes. I just wish she had more of a role in the game.

aIsxJ6A.jpg

Okay, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should throw out endorsements like candy...

1nEuq6u.jpg
zMaJmdO.jpg

Well, all right. But surely you'll only endorse the winner, right?

btRaHYf.jpg

That eager to get your ass kicked?

hM484L9.jpg
MwSU4MH.jpg

Don't worry, I will.

4p7TSbv.jpg

I wonder what 'mon was hungry?

IRydUb9.jpg

Was it you?

LbCb0LR.jpg

Maybe not.

iGk1jW0.jpg

That's kind of terrifying :ohdear:

AkUgdk9.jpg

...How are you supposed to know what a plant would want?

EWTsD60.jpg

I wonder what it smells like?

C61fULb.jpg

I could stay here forever and read these.

d65WKb9.jpg
uuGd8a8.jpg
AL9oXKB.jpg

Nothing in Sonia's room is all that interesting though.

DlpTWSC.jpg

Suddenly sunset! Which is one thing that bugs me-why is the game time or day not synced with the RL clock except in the Wild Area? It feels weird...

hNwp7eO.jpg

Ooh, what's this?

fMmF0fx.jpg

Hmm, that might be useful.

KkEBlMP.jpg

I gave it to Johanna in place of Astonish, since she's too slow for the flinch chance to be worth it, whereas it's more likely she'll get outsped for the doubled damage. Plus it'll be STAB if she makes it to evolving.

vavXrWN.jpg

Impatient selfish ass!
...Maybe I'll just wait longer so you won't get it >:)

iW4AFzc.jpg

I see you, item~
But I can't get it yet because Hop won't shut up.

axdHc03.jpg

To kick Hop's ass?

FA99FIW.jpg

I don't wanna! Can I be your rival instead?
...after I have a full team capable of taking on Zard?

qidemeR.jpg

No you won't.

F3zX4ui.jpg

You're not gonna get it after I crush you.

TUmaD1F.jpg

Nope, bye.

gVuTMDQ.jpg

Good, some patience would be good for you.

1h2zqAb.jpg

Eh, at this point it's mainly just "spam your best attacks". It'll be more interesting later on.

83bSEbH.jpg
cLFyXiM.jpg

Never say you're unbeatable because that just makes people want to beat you more. But he does give some good advice.

bDM7o7b.jpg

In your dreams 😆

C0NDPNk.jpg

Round 2!

50JdN4j.jpg

I have. The question is, have you?

y0oF4Qp.jpg

...Not really.

rsqba9n.jpg

Wow, the new move is already coming in handy!

zzCZFki.jpg

Very handy! I was a little hesitant about Johanna, but she's doing pretty well so far.

WfC95lm.jpg

Nah, it's just luck. A 1 in 16 chance means it's bound to happen sooner or later.
I do like how characters comment on crits/SE moves/etc. though.

qXa7IE3.jpg
ywI9wdo.jpg

I still wish this wasn't a thing, but admittedly it does make the early game faster.

GfbUW2m.jpg

Starter fight!

F1PJ3MX.jpg

Please don't patronize me.

PoA39I1.jpg

...Does this line change depending on his starter? It would make sense, but I wonder what he says for the others.
*checks*
It does change! Note to self: never give him Sobble because that line is impossible to take seriously from Hop.

V0EBYMA.jpg

Oh no, it's in Blaze range! I'm terrified~

Bfpvnwf.jpg

lol jk

5cIByam.jpg

Nice.

PdgZTbg.jpg

Your strongest 'mon is down, how the heck are you gonna win? 🤨

VM3A1iv.jpg

Bird fight! Although mine is twice your level, so even with the dump nature you have no chance.

6sW7xUA.jpg

See?

acj6Dnd.jpg

And we're done.

x2F20Db.jpg

Clearly that was the most important thing, not training or catching more 'mons 😒

3THFCod.jpg

Maybe for you, but for me that would mean I'd be down those Pokémon, so nope.

ZRkomXg.jpg

Hehe, I get an endorsement but Hop doesn't~

3JlIp4Y.jpg

WHAT.
I call bullshit and nepotism! 😡
...I actually have a plot idea based on this: basically, Leon only endorses you and Hop becomes consumed with revenge. Here's what I have so far if you're curious.
Maybe next run?

wqzrgFL.jpg

That's not gonna happen, sorry.

rnpr9R2.jpg

If you say so...

fmQNUt5.jpg

I really doubt he found it interesting either.
*snores*
Yeah, didn't think so.

SBiMdpu.jpg

Appearances mean nothing!

qDMyciu.jpg
LcmmEpf.jpg

Not really.

BJ7GfAm.jpg

Don't worry, once we're out of the early game they'll get more interesting.

HcKbkHI.jpg

You're volunteering to be grinding fodder? How nice!

zXwY2G9.jpg

I never agreed to this!

jrOuyMl.jpg

👀

JycRYgG.jpg

Pretty~

rA13axf.jpg

Although landing this close to us would probably be lethal, or at least injure us.

IiLXdaE.jpg

Anyone ever actually seen a shooting star IRL? Did you make a wish?

k72RSks.jpg

I thought that was what Jirachi was for?

ABjtTGP.jpg

And yet you only ever use it once in the whole game.

k5DHpcL.jpg

Are you telling me to make a wish? 🤔

6O76Kwt.jpg
x3 at increasingly louder volumes
Nope x3 at increasingly louder volumes.

YuSSak1.jpg

Shut him down!

go8Yg7f.jpg

I wonder how she's able to do this?

cTrS8y3.jpg
MlShWPj.jpg

As much as I shit on Hop, at least he's respectful to his elders, albeit very impatient.

QGLrAcj.jpg

That may be the first thing you've said I agree with.

v54VcB3.jpg

I'm pretty sure Hop is a perpetual energy machine.

NPl0dgC.jpg

Nah, you already missed it.

LpNpWH4.jpg

I've never actually had curry, so I think I'll pass. Although I have to admit the curries in the game look delicious.

(The next day:)

badGVgj.jpg

Yay, can we finally get to the actual game? Admittedly it's not as bad as Melemele aka Tutorial Island.

liQRFnc.jpg

Why are you asking him instead of me?

Lj3wBLy.jpg

See, he can't even describe it properly!

5xp4ptx.jpg

Shade him more!

KkqtYzt.jpg

Fancy.

Q7q8s5C.jpg

I still wonder how that works.

SxZ7BEh.jpg

Technically he Gigantamaxes, there's a difference.

qAbvCv8.jpg

I live for everyone shutting Hop down 😆

w8ggtlh.jpg

Only one per area though.

eR6RP8q.jpg

Nope.

cmSIzXf.jpg

Bye.

odQV4ms.jpg
gWWphkJ.jpg

👀
Ugh I wish the game got into Sonia's backstory more...

zOgzKMm.jpg

What now?

58IeKCR.jpg
fv74xkp.jpg

He actually said something kind of useful! 😱

wEnsii9.jpg

So this leads me to an embarrassing confession: I didn't know the Switch joysticks were actually pressable for like a year after I got my Switch. It wasn't until Luigi's Mansion 3's first Gooigi tutorial that I finally figured out that was a thing. Was stuck for several minutes trying to get him to come out...

7pm1Imm.jpg

I'm not Leon, you don't have to worry about me getting lost.
*he leaves*
Yay, I can finally grab that other item!

Onu4PpQ.jpg

Nice.

zwRvlkm.jpg

Also nice, although less useful now that it only heals 30 HP instead of 50.

LzEassY.jpg

DOGS

JJspz6D.jpg

And we're back here.

9nHUgYl.jpg

Don't care.

CvyVpFt.jpg

Shut up before I throw my bag at you.

hKn80HN.jpg

At least we're almost out of the tutorial section. Stopping here for now.

aScCau0.jpg
Next time, we begin exploring the Wild Area and fill up the team.
Question of the update: what's your least favorite Galar 'mon?

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
QOTU: I hate the Skwovet line. Especially Greedent. It's ugly. Other than that abomination, I actually like most Galar Mons quite a lot. What does Hop say if he has a Sobble?

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Yeah, the constant Exp. Share is annoying, but ultimately, it's workable? I dunno.

Yeah, the idea for a Galar story where Leon only gives you the endorsement sounds awesome~

Least favorite Galar mons are four: the fossils. Those abominations not only are hideous as fuck, but they shouldn't even be alive. Cara Liss (the scientist who creates them; yes, that's literally her name) should be shot. Hell, I'm definitely planning on a story arc where she's a complete monster for my own Galar Nuzlocke story (both Nuzlocke story and the since-discontinued fic I had for Galar). I just hate those things. I don't care if Dracovish is OU; I hate it and the others. Mr. Rime, however, is a close second; I hated the Mime line, and this thing is ugly as hell, and I hate it, hate it, HATE it.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Galar mons for the most parts are hits, but Gossifleur and Eldegoss are my clear least favorites. They are the most generic slow Grass-types in a sea of other slow grass types and offer very little movepool wise. If I want a Grass-type in Galar I'd rather just run one of Flapple/Appletun/Rillaboom or literally the seven other gens of cooler grass types.
Dishonorable mention to Coalossal for not turning into a train called Lokolmoto. Carkol is hysterical though.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Yep, the forced Exp Share in SwSh sucks, I still have no idea what they were thinking not adding a toggle off botton.

Hoothoot isn’t that bad, evolves early enough, versatile move pool, though I might be biased as it’s on my top 50 pokemon (as you’ll see if I ever finish this ridiculously long list).

Least favorite Galar Pokemon? Hmm. I agree with Memento the fossils are far from my favorites (even though I love the idea behind them, just the execution is a bit poor). Perhaps Flapple? I'll have to think about it some more.

Skarmizard

Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Today we head into the Wild Area and hopefully don't die to a super overleveled Pokémon.

@Kit_The_Feef: Yeah, Greedent is pretty nasty-looking. Reminds me of Diggersby where they made a cute 'mon have a hideous evo...
From Bulbapedia: "This wave is gonna crash right over you!" *uses Water Gun*
And I just cannot take that seriously from him ._.

@Memento: It really isn't that bad except for early on (up to Milo) since you probably aren't using that many 'mons, and then the endgame just gets demolished by it, especially since Marnie and Hop in Wyndon are maybe one level above Raihan's gym...
Glad you like my idea! I'm heavily considering exploring it if I do another SwSh run after this. Your idea is interesting too 😃
Yeah, the fossils are definitely ugly AF. Both -Zolts looks like simply existing is painful for them :c
Also how many story ideas do you have??? O_O

@LucarioOfLegends: I honestly tend of forget Gossifleur even exists, and I only remember Eldegoss for being Milo's "ace" and for some reason I think it looks funny.
But yeah, there are so many more interesting Grass-types. And now I wish your Lokolmoto idea had been the actual evolution...

@RubyClaw: Exactly-all they had to do was keep it optional and it'd be fine, but nooooo 😠
I just wish Hoothoot was a little stronger-it's hard for me to not use Spearow or even Pidgey over it since it's so weak...that and I don't play Johto that much.
I like the idea behind the fossils too (and they have cool typings), but they just look so miserable :c
But it's good if you can't pick a least favorite-that means they did a good job overall.

Question: my least favorite Galar 'mon is either Milcery (uncreative design that looks like it was drawn in 20 seconds and honestly could fit that 4chan hack, although GMax Alcremie is hilarious) or G-Darmanitan (I already hated this line in Unova, so seeing it get another form made me sad, especially since it got a stupidly busted ability). Also not a huge fan of Hatterene's line since it's essentially just a Galarian Gardevoir (even in terms of the fanservicey design) and I really don't like Impidimp's design because it looks like a Super Monkey Ball reject-Morgrem and Grimmsnarl are fine though. But honestly, I like most of the Galar 'mons-it was tough to think of one I dislike.

So our first order of business today is to head to the train station, where our favorite character is waiting...

tlN4NzJ.jpg

Mind your own business.

k9J7lXV.jpg

Clearly you didn't, considering you only have three up until halfway through the game.

IE5qBAH.jpg

Bitch, my three will wipe the floor with you again. Shut your face before I throw Johanna and my bag at you.
*concerned chirp*
It's okay Connor, I'm not actually gonna throw her at him. The bag, on the other hand...

2PgBbuX.jpg

...I will accept this as a peace offering.

z2SwL6f.jpg
6muu1RE.jpg

As long as you shut up with telling me stuff I already know.

BBjfwpY.jpg

Interesting gift.

vmMyTzx.jpg

Sounds good, as long as we can go separately.

LtII3Ih.jpg

*groan*

cVXUsjL.jpg

Please tell me you're here to take him back home! I will accept his Scorbunny.

H2EC9fi.jpg

...That was maybe two days ago.

JvA8VSt.jpg

I kind of assumed you knew we were since I had Pokémon now.

PIR7ybz.jpg

Thanks, but I'm not really into camping. Never been an outdoorsy type.

HIFiKJJ.jpg

As long as we don't run into any massively overleveled Pokémon :ohdear:

9FxZbAc.jpg
3KrLftx.jpg

In your dreams 😂

9dxk6MD.jpg

Translation: "That's nice dear." You can tell she's tuning him out-look at her eyes.

WAIAS2Z.jpg

The only luck I need is luck with finding a shiny or making a super rare catch. You need all the luck you can get though.

Lliw1iK.jpg

Then why don't you run on ahead and try not to get mauled by a level 40 Pokémon?

khr8L98.jpg

Good thing they're (mostly) social distancing. I want to ride a train someday, but a) pandemic and b) there aren't any near where I live. Not even sure if Amtrak operates around here (it probably does in the big cities, but I'm a good bit away from them).

2RjyaPb.jpg

Me in public so I don't have to deal with people and awkward conversations.

GyeI2pm.jpg

The Wild Area is really cool. I respect that they tried something different with an open world section, and for the most part I like it-although I think it's a little too big. Could've shrunk it down like 20% and it'd be fine.

pGOIq9W.jpg

Yes, you can go from single-digit leveled 'mons to level 50s in the span of ten steps-you'd better be careful.

VLFB0Dd.jpg

Again, outdoorsy stuff isn't my thing. Would much rather stay in a nice hotel :v:

EJYK5UJ.jpg

Either way, here we are.

dKGBWdX.jpg

What is the game's obsession with having Wooloo be roadblocks early on? This is the second time already.

oSZHNEd.jpg
xMnt7me.jpg

For once I actually agree with you.

AYm2yvy.jpg

He actually said something smart 😱

rzrGJbs.jpg
BCbLLL4.jpg

A cash grab to tie into Pokémon Go's success. Never played Let's Go, probably never will because I hate how catching 'mons/grinding works in those games. I don't actually mind it being another Kanto remake, but I'll stick to FRLG if I want to play Kanto.
(I never played Pokémon Go either...should probably give it a try sometime. I was happy that it made being an adult Pokémon fan more acceptable, at least for a time.)

bWPtMd6.jpg

Which is why you avoid certain sections until you've trained a good bit.

HAvgunX.jpg

These are very appreciated though, in case I get ambushed by a massively overleveled 'mon.

hCOj8D3.jpg
575LpUI.jpg

Which is why I won't be exploring the northern half until after Kabu. Not only is it pointless at this point, it's also very dangerous...

XNvbuq0.jpg

Pretty~

UUHvJe9.jpg

Not right now, but you will definitely be handy later on once I have some catches and start training.

dAvE96h.jpg

I'm not much of a cook though :c

YEKDkGT.jpg

...You're still here?

R4xnTuq.jpg

Why is Motostoke walled off like that? Same with Hammerlocke later on...I mean, it makes sense in terms of game progression, but this would be incredibly inconvenient for people just trying to get around the region (although I suppose that's what the trains and Air Taxi are for).

KSzqSoJ.jpg

I have an idea: why don't you stay and try to count them? 😈

EHg4Oy1.jpg

Good, a less annoying character.

dKofYoA.jpg
7UsUFXy.jpg

Relatable. I still have no idea what I want to do with myself :c

89nDcXc.jpg

Deflection really isn't healthy...

ZZZgP79.jpg
ksP8e7a.jpg

Not sure how that relates, but okay?

UUyMhML.jpg

😬
First she's jealous of Leon, now it sounds like Magnolia doesn't have much hope for her...Sonia has so much possible backstory. Someone should do a locke with her as the main character and explore it some.

WCK9XCL.jpg

Ugh, yes. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being a child and not having to work and pay bills or worry about what's going on in the world...but then again it is nice to be able to make your own choices/do whatever you want. Although it was nice to be able to spend Saturdays doing nothing but play video games.

vwrh27c.jpg

But do you have any Pokémon besides that Yamper?

0fLjxdl.jpg

I dunno, you seem a little high maintenance for that.

2rEFaRe.jpg

That's a good way to get eaten...
💡
Go for it!

HezqAWI.jpg
XChGNCe.jpg

More like a page in your epitaph.

2r41qgD.jpg

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna try to fight one, at least not yet. Maybe later on for TRs and the like though.
(Actually that brings up something: how did you handle Raid Battles in your lockes? Do you count the den as your encounter for that section or allow yourself one den catch claiming the dens as a separate area? Haven't decided how I'm gonna do that yet.)

5sFvVjz.jpg

Obviously.

YcEsddf.jpg
BHyXXz5.jpg

Ordinarily you want to stay away from ominous light beams...or am I just paranoid from Smash Ultimate? :v:

gCFBqOh.jpg

This is both the other best QOL improvement of SwSh and the second most OP thing imaginable (Exp Share being #1 obviously). Being able to swap 'mons at any time is incredibly convenient, especially in the Wild Area, but it's also a little busted since you can literally swap out at almost any time (outside of gyms/Wyndon Stadium). But at least it doesn't break the game like the perma-Exp Share, so I'm fine with it.

JDF6XDq.jpg

I always flail around the menu for a minute trying to bring it up though 😅

USZFBkj.jpg

Nuzlocke 😬

YCIc5u9.jpg

It does feel like the game really starts here, though. Or at least the real game, especially the Nuzlocke aspect.

AiiSl58.jpg

Speaking of, it's time we make some more catches. Luckily the game is nice enough to tell you when you move to a different section, so it won't be too hard to keep up with.

JQg2Ycd.jpg

Staying far away from you. Not only are you overleveled as heck, but I can't trade, so Steelix is out and I'm not lugging an Onix through the entire game. I had one in Platinum and he was actually pretty good, but man that evolution was sorely needed, especially since he had to wait until Iron Island.

M3eiPDW.jpg

More like "the game threw the note in my face."

SuQSsE8.jpg
K0JtjJh.jpg

Or keep a pile of Poke Dolls on hand.

After that, I found some Honey, a Poké Ball, an Energy Root, and another note that talked about moving the camera around before finally getting an encounter...

FcTgd2x.jpg

Huh. The Hitmons are some of the only Gen 1 'mons I've never used, so this might be interesting.

BQR6Dcs.jpg

And Fake Out chip damage is always nice.

GF1Vach.jpg

Easy enough. If I have the choice, I'd like him to end up as Chan since he gets the most coverage. The P/S split was good to Chan-I hate that one in Chuck's gym in HGSS.

eHbTxAZ.jpg

Also, Tyrogue is a lot bigger than I expected ._.

igmGLtX.jpg
p4VMpgG.jpg

...welp. Guess he'll probably end up as Lee instead-not that that's a bad thing.
(Rocky is my stereotypical name for most Fighting-types. Will probably change it once he evolves.)

AuGiFHG.jpg

Got jumped by a Bunnelby after that, where I found out there's a move called Laser Focus. Which sounds cool, and could be useful since it apparently guarantees a crit...

fQaQlTT.jpg

...except then it used Leer rather than attack :ROFL:

Qfoc8i6.jpg

Then it used this on a Grass-type??? This thing was :psyduck:

Q74h3oc.jpg

Even if I'm not gonna do Raid Battles yet, I still like to stockpile Watts since you can get some great items with them.

spxag8a.jpg
sEG3iaZ.jpg

Speaking of Watts, I fought a glowing Bunnelby for some, and got a double level in the process.

omMGLhI.jpg

Not bad at all.

pS6juML.jpg

Nearly fell off a cliff too. For some reason I thought your character didn't react to edges, but apparently they do, which makes more sense.

l3rOg9y.jpg

Anyway, what will we find here? I wouldn't mind a Stufful, I've heard Bewear is solid...

tw7iUfT.jpg

...oh. Not really a fan to be honest 😬

JAUUr9A.jpg

But a catch is a catch, especially early on.

IDmuCKf.jpg
5ktj55o.jpg

Easy enough, and another level for the effort.

bR9mtIK.jpg

Ooh, nice! I dumped Bind because it's pretty much trash.

veqTfUm.jpg

Not really? You could just leave it alone and let it clean?

unNT9gw.jpg

And then all the Fighting-types showed up right after :cybercrime:

TMPqNgv.jpg
a1XuB3j.jpg

Ehh, not great to be honest, especially since that's the worst possible ability. Probably gonna get boxed once I have a seventh 'mon, especially since I have no idea where the stone to evolve it is.
(Named June because the first thing I thought of was Professor Juniper having one in the BW intro.)

VpGwR1V.jpg

Ignoring the giant psychic bird flying around me.
Why do both Natu and Xatu sound like they say "mama" when they appear? And why does Xatu's chest pattern look like a Treecko's face when the gecko didn't appear until the next generation? 🤔

vWrgdFX.jpg

Went back to train a little more. Was hoping Rocky could take this since it can't fight...

Wje3TOs.jpg

...but after 8000 Hardens he couldn't do shit, so Edgar had to finish it.

9BcTPLQ.jpg

At least he still got a level.

KOOZNvC.jpg

A fight later, this happened, which is an absolute NO for me because multi-hit moves are garbo unless you have Skill Link. I hardly ever get above three hits, while enemies almost always get all five with at least one crit thrown in because the game cheats 😒

aWpyWVw.jpg

However, I actually put this over Tackle, because anything > Normal moves and because I generally have pretty solid luck with Rollout. Had an Electrode in Emerald nail Juan's Kingdra with it four times in a row through 6 Double Teams. It's risky and I probably won't use it much, but we'll see.

HAUx0l4.jpg

Then I realized I should probably give the new recruits berries. After that, I got attacked by another note:

Ml0Hbid.jpg
ZQuJoY2.jpg

So it's like a mix of a Pokémon Center and Pokémon-Amie/Refresh? That's busted as hell in a Nuzlocke, but okay.

L7DEesT.jpg

...but you do need a supply of berries for it, so I guess it's only slightly less busted than I originally thought.

Ruzeega.jpg

May as well, extra berries could be handy for now. I usually stop shaking once the tree is rustling constantly-it almost always keeps wild 'mons from attacking. Ended up getting 3 Pechas, 3 Cheris, and 2 Orans before I stopped.

9yCyJt0.jpg

I did not know Rapid Spin got buffed until a decent way into my first playthrough of Shield.

C42whmL.jpg

Ended up on the west side of Lake Axewell after that, so new catch time! Also I didn't realize your character reacted to the weather until this moment when the sunlight was harsh (despite it being nighttime).

2APxtfS.jpg

Nice! I usually prefer Growlithe, but both are solid.

m0FZR6u.jpg

When I saw harsh sunlight, I got really excited for a second because I thought she had Drought, but then I remembered it was a background condition in the area. So a little disappointed, but it'll be fine.

gjFHKiw.jpg

Made the catch easier too, since Connor still walled her without doing too much damage. Got Rocky another level as well.

CiYKIJE.jpg

Unpopular opinion: original Ninetales > A-Ninetales. Both Vulpixes are pretty even though.

7A66LD9.jpg
56mXuVK.jpg

Not bad at all! Between her and Edgar, Milo should be cake.
(So this is where my naming logic gets a little weird. A long time ago, I had a Ninetales named Krystal in one of my old runs. Usually if I get a second 'mon of a species I've used before, I name them "_____ Jr.", but since that really only works for male 'mons, my thought was "use a similar name", and Kristin was the first one I thought of. I guess using the other spelling would've worked too, but I like this better.)

kL9tMMp.jpg

Full team hype! :yay:
(Also everyone but Johanna can learn Swift apparently.)

k5zUENn.jpg

Decided the best way to train Kristin was to commit genocide on the local Combee population.

Fot0tEb.jpg

Meanwhile this Butterfree apparently knew I had a Fire-type and was flying away from me.

LmpJ9AF.jpg
2ls3kQ9.jpg

Nice and nice. I thought 13 was a good level to stop at before heading into Motostoke...

bMwXGC2.jpg

...so I temporarily had Connor sit out. This felt weird to me because I never box my starters, but I kind of have to in this case because of the stupid perma-Exp Share. And yes, I'll probably be bitching about that most of the run.

npk6aww.jpg
68W9nhC.jpg

Ew, no. 55 Accuracy is utter garbage.

UZQJFBB.jpg
q2BZN4R.jpg

However, I did give her Swift because STAB. I also gave it to Kristin because...um, reasons? :psyduck:

jw2VIv7.jpg
KIPxYvY.jpg

Edgar and Johanna quickly hit 13 and had to sit out for a bit as well. That +0 to Edgar's Attack hurts me ☹️

lnV3P3j.jpg

Meanwhile Kristin is catching up quickly and carrying the other two.

Is4HJ3l.jpg

USELESS BEES

O0um48V.jpg

And now everyone's back since we're almost to Motostoke.

xmsOTRa.jpg

Nah, too situational to be worth it.

lNkR7JQ.jpg

And with that, we've made it to Motostoke. Seems like a good place to stop for now.

UiSJdMI.jpg

Next time, we explore Motostoke.
Question of the update: who's your favorite character in SwSh (DLC excluded)?

Kit_The_Feef

Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
My favourite Sw/Sh character is probably Opal because she's funny. The scene when she puts Bede in his place is really funny. I also like Leon a lot, despite him being shilled to death in-game. I thought jr was gender neutral?

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Nice team! Don't sell Hitmonlee short; it's fast and hits hard. Shame about June's ability, but it looks like you've got a nice team of six for now!

I have...too many story ideas, haha. Not including Beware, We Sting (a White 2 GOTlocke), Translucent Legends (a Crystal Lorelocke), and A Game of Ages (a story with Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon)...I have a future idea for SwSh called Queen of the Britons (both Sword and Shield), a genderlocke idea for XY (genderbending for the win~), a Naturelocke idea of Omega Ruby, and a Doclocke idea for Alpha Sapphire. And that's not even counting my original stories (I have 34 titles with about half of them as story ideas.)

But aaanyway, my favorite character in SwSh is Sonia. She's just so relatable in that she's working hard to please Magnolia, that she's insecure about what she's going to do with her life, that sort of thing. It's so relatable for adults and older teens that it's hard not to like her.

Users who are viewing this thread