• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Spin-off Teen Mon Sunlight and Shadow: A Colosseum Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Back with Chapter 8! (Feb 18)

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I think my favorite part of this chapter was the comment from Vari about being able to 'fight' the shadow. I forsee this sparking some very interesting team dynamics, as Vari seems to have some preconceived biases about shadows. Looking forward to more team dynamics :)

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Just started reading this! I’ve kind of always avoided Colosseum fics since I, uh, haven’t ever played it before and I’m not very familiar with the concept. But when I noticed you were posting one, I couldn’t resist!

Phenac was unmistakable. A bright jewel shining through the grit of the desert, it promised safety and prosperity to the weary traveler. Glistening fountains bubbled with sparkling blue water, and palm trees spread their comforting leaves over the streets. It was a perfect oasis.
I’m only finished with the first chapter, but already you are painting a spectacular picture with your words! Imagery so crips is appreciated, especially since I am not well-versed when it comes to this game. I can’t wait to catch up!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely tired.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Dee Thank you! Nikki is one of my faves as well. And yes, what is the Quagsire’s deal? We’ll find out eventually! Maybe. :P

@Spectacles Thank you! Might be a little while before we properly get into the team dynamics, but there will definitely be plenty of them in the future!

@Rhema Thank you so much! It means a lot to hear that you're making an exception for this story. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Sorry this is late! It was ready to go, and I really don't have any excuse beyond just not having the motivation to actually post it. But here it finally is, the never-before-seen Chapter 7! I'll be honest, I've been sitting on this one since before I went on hiatus a year ago, but I was never happy with this and didn't want to post it. I haven't changed it much since then, mostly just added a few little important things, but I’ve since warmed up to it somewhat, so here it is! and if I'm actually a whole year late posting this, a few more weeks don't matter in the long run, right?

The tournament was far more stressful than Rui had imagined. She wasn't allowed to stay with Wes, where she could easily tell him if any new Shadow Pokemon showed up. And even if they weren’t separated, what was there to be done about the Shadows? Wes could hardly snag them in front of a gigantic crowd without attracting unwanted attention, and it was already risky enough for him to enter in the first place.

“It won't take them long to find me,” he had pointed out. “If we're going after Miror B, Snagem will hear about it. This is the quickest way to get more information about the Shadows, and I can't just sit by while my town gets taken over, either.”

Rui didn't really like the plan -- would anyone be so stupid as to give Wes a Shadow Pokemon if he won the tournament? -- but she had to admit that it was the best place to start, albeit a dangerous one.

The worst part of all was the feeling of helplessness. She was stuck in the crowd, surrounded by countless blurs of colors and far away from where Wes stood on the battlefield. The extra Shadows were with her, but especially since she didn’t know how to properly battle, they weren't much of a comfort.

At least Wes’ battles had been going well so far. This current one was a favorable matchup for Vari and Haru -- a Natu and a Meditite. But Wes was stubbornly refusing to use the Shadows except as a last resort, which meant that the Eeveelutions were getting a little worn out. She knew they wouldn't be able to handle the later rounds without a proper rest, and the Shadows would have to come out sooner or later.

Rui hated to admit it, but as much as she wanted to help them all, she was scared. She couldn't read the Shadows, not with their constant auras of swirling darkness. Throwing herself in front of the Misdreavus the other day and smiling was one of the hardest things she had ever done. Rui was no stranger to angry ghosts, but an angry Shadow ghost? Wes had looked at her with amazement for the rest of the day, but she still refused to talk about it.

She was just glad that the situation hadn’t escalated. If she’d had to let that ghost into her mind, try to communicate with it, win a battle of wills when she had no formal training with regular ghosts and still found it hard to believe she was even capable of channelling…

Well, it hadn’t come to that. Hopefully it never would.

It had been a struggle to convince Wes to let a ghost on the team, but Rui had insisted. There was almost no one in Orre willing to train one, so this gave them a huge advantage. She just hoped things wouldn't go wrong -- with her limited experience, the unpredictability of ghosts, and the unpredictability of Shadows, it was a recipe for disaster. But this could also be their greatest advantage, if handled properly.

And so the team had been formed -- Haru and Vari, of course, along with Dante the Misdreavus, Aidan the Quilava, Nikki the Flaaffy, and Abby the Quagsire. Rui had been relieved to find that, unlike Aidan, the other Shadows did have names. She had watched in amazement as, one by one, they talked to Haru, and the Espeon painstakingly traced their names out in the sand. It was some small condolence for him to at least have that way of communicating when necessary.

Most Pokemon could learn to read and write, of course, but few trainers ever bothered to teach them. Rui supposed that, like many skills, it was drilled into most Eevee at a young age.

She saw more of those skills in action now as Haru finally took out the Meditite with a well-timed blast of energy. Not long after, Vari knocked the Natu out of the sky, and the match was over. Rui knew what this meant -- more waiting while the other participants had their turns on the battlefield. She resigned herself to the tedium.

And then the hand rested on her shoulder, nearly making her scream.

“Don't worry, I'm on your side,” the voice that accompanied the hand whispered. “Duking wants to talk to you. Follow me.”

Rui turned around and was faced with a man whose aura glowed with sincerity, as well as a swirling mix of concern and anxiety. Probably not the type who would kidnap her, but at least she had a whole team of Pokemon with her if he tried anything funny.

All the more reason to hope he didn't, because she didn't trust this whole team of Pokemon.

Relieved, the man led her through the crowd, down some stairs, and into a very small room where a very large man was waiting. He was tall and muscular, and looked equally nervous about this situation.

“My name is Duking,” the man said, rather unnecessarily. “I hear you're going after Miror B.”

“Well, we're trying, sort of,” Rui admitted. “It's more about rescuing the Shadow Pokemon, but it would be nice if we could bring him down, too. I know you want your town back.”

His aura turned pleading. “I do, but there's something I want more than anything else. Miror B is holding my Pokemon hostage, and I'm powerless to get her back.”

Rui wondered how powerful Miror B had to be to take a Pokemon from such a strong and influential man. For that matter, someone like Duking must have quite a powerful Pokemon.

“Yes, my poor sweet Plusle, Lila,” Duking continued, and Rui nearly fell over in shock. This huge, burly guy’s prized Pokemon was a tiny Plusle?

“We'll do our best,” she managed to say. Wes had speculated that they might be able to access Miror B’s hideout from wherever they were giving out tournament prizes. If they made it in there, they might as well try and get Lila out.

Duking nodded gravely. “That's all I wanted to talk to you about. Just... bring her home safely, please.” A thick haze of sadness and concern swirled around him, making Rui herself long to go save Lila and curse the fact that she wasn't sure if she could .

“We will!” she promised, feeling the empty words echo around the room.

***​

Back in the stadium, the battles were becoming more intense as they crept towards the final round. With more and more competitors being eliminated, Rui at least had less time to wait between each of Wes’ matches.

His next opponent led with a Ninetales and a Cacturne. Even from up in the stands, Rui could see the resignation in Wes’ aura, the knowledge that it would be smartest to use the type advantages he had access to. As much as he’d rather not have to use the Shadows, it was more important to not wear out his Eeveelutions.

And so Aidan appeared on the field, blazing much brighter than the opponent’s Vulpix. Abby followed, looking hesitant, especially with a grass type out there. The Quilava wasted no time -- as soon as the match began, he was already a fiery blur, slamming right into the Cacturne with enough force to knock it out immediately. He turned sharply, shooting a smug glance back at Wes and Abby as if to say what grass type ?

Rui sighed. There was no denying that Aidan had power, but he had run out there and attacked without an order from Wes. It technically wasn't against the rules, but it wasn't exactly a promising sign, either. Especially now that he looked poised to attack again, to dash right at the Ninetales without any care that his fire would do nothing.

“Surf!” Wes yelled quickly. Aidan instinctively jumped out of the way as Abby summoned a giant wave, washing away the Ninetales with no apparent effort. With the battle over, both Shadow Pokemon were recalled before anything could get out of hand.

Rui allowed herself to relax a little as two different trainers took the field. That hadn't been so bad! The Shadows were powerful, and if they could defeat their opponents before losing control, everything should be fine.

She was barely paying attention to the other battles, lost in her thoughts. Possibly, she had even managed to fall asleep. A crackling voice jolted her back into alertness as it rang through the stadium, announcing the final round.

Wes was there, of course, standing tall and strong, glowing with resolution.

And some flickers of tiredness.

But Rui trusted him to win. Even though his opponent was wreathed in arrogant confidence, even though Haru and Vari were tired, even though the Shadows were unpredictable... she had yet to see a trainer who looked capable of defeating Wes.

The Pokemon were a Seaking and a Magneton. Aidan stared them down, not remotely intimidated by the presence of a water type. This time, he was joined by Nikki. The Flaaffy was possibly even more eager to fight, bouncing on the balls of her feet and crackling with sparks.

A shout from the other trainer, and a bolt of lightning arced across the battlefield, summoned by the Magneton. In one swift motion, Nikki slid into the path of the electricity, let it swirl around her, and flung it at the Seaking along with some power of her own. The water-type had been about to attack Aidan, but the force of the electricity left it collapsed on the ground before it could do anything.

Aidan, in turn, launched a spectacular burst of flames at the Magneton. It was quick to follow its teammate in hitting the ground. The Shadows were again recalled immediately, and the tournament was over.

It was easy -- too easy. Where were the other trainers with Shadow Pokemon? But Rui didn't have time to dwell on it. Wes was already being led out of the arena to get his prize, and she had to hurry up and follow.

The guards let her catch up to Wes, their auras flashing with unpleasantness. Every step sent a jolt of unease through her, matching the orange swirls around Wes. They were walking into a trap, and they both knew it.

Out the back door, across the bridge, into an old building half-carved into the cliffside. Up to a reception desk, where a woman was waiting with a big smile. “Congratulations!” she chirped, her happy blue words at odds with her dark aura.

And then the door slammed shut.

Wes didn't hesitate. Nikki and Abby were out in a flash, still relatively fresh after their quick battles. The Flaaffy’s electricity instantly dropped most of the opponents who had been charging around the corridor, while Abby, unscathed by the shockwave, slammed her tail on the ground and knocked the rest off balance.

“Quick, while they're distracted,” Wes ordered, taking off down the hall. Rui gave one last longing look at the door before following him. The Shadows were behaving, for now, charging down the corridor without protest.

Up the stairs, and into a fresh wave of Pokemon. One of them stood out to her immediately, swirling with darkness. “ The Yanma’s a shadow! ” she yelled as Nikki started crackling with sparks again.

“Stop, Nikki!” Wes commanded. The Flaaffy looked at him, eyes narrowed, aura flaring, and did no such thing. He recalled her just in time, her lightning fizzling away into nothing as she vanished. “Take out the rest, Abby.”

For a moment, the Quagsire cowered, faced with so many opponents. Then she growled, summoning a huge wave to wash away all of them.

Except the Yanma, glowing angrily, speeding right towards her. To Abby's credit, she didn't unleash her terrifying power on it, but merely ducked and let it fly over her head with an angry buzz. Rui’s eyes shifted towards Wes as he struggled with choosing someone who could easily fight a bug-type without hurting it too much.

“You have to give him a chance!” she begged as his hand drifted past Dante's Pokeball. “I can talk him down if things get out of hand. You know Haru and Vari shouldn't fight a bug, especially when they're not at full strength, and Aidan would probably just burn it to a crisp.”

“This had better not go wrong,” Wes muttered as he tossed the Pokeball. The Misdreavus appeared, wreathed in his own personal combination of shadow and... Shadow.

“Incapacitate the Yanma so we can catch it, but don't hurt it!” Rui said quickly. The ghost’s eyes burned into her, but she stared right back to show that she was in control. With a little hiss, he reached out tendrils of dark energy, easily ensnaring the bug. Without hesitation, Wes hit it with a snag ball. Once it had been definitively captured, he recalled both Dante and Abby.

“That wasn't so bad, was it?” she demanded.

“Let's keep moving,” was his only reply as they headed for the next set of stairs. “Be prepared for anything.”

Despite the warning, Rui wasn't expecting to push open the door at the top of the stairs and find herself on the roof of the building. There was no time to admire the view, not when there were two women standing firmly in front of them with belts full of pokeballs.

Another door slammed shut behind them.
Full team time! Here's a convenient list with their in-game natures:

Haru the Espeon (Naughty)
Vari the Umbreon (Calm)
Aidan the Quilava (Calm)
Nikki the Flaaffy (Calm)
Dante the Misdreavus (Quirky)
Abby the Quagsire (Careful)

Yes, somehow half the team has calm natures! Not that any of them are calm in the story…

So, what about chapter 8? Well, I’m still thinking I might revamp it, so I’m not sure when it’ll be ready, but I’ll try not to take too long with it!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
And so the team had been formed -- Haru and Vari, of course, along with Dante the Misdreavus, Aidan the Quilava, Nikki the Flaaffy, and Abby the Quagsire. Rui had been relieved to find that, unlike Aidan, the other Shadows did have names. She had watched in amazement as, one by one, they talked to Haru, and the Espeon painstakingly traced their names out in the sand. It was some small condolence for him to at least have that way of communicating when necessary.

Most Pokemon could learn to read and write, of course, but few trainers ever bothered to teach them. Rui supposed that, like many skills, it was drilled into most Eevee at a young age.
Nice bit of worldbuilding. Glad to see that Haru can communicate somehow, and it's interesting learning how Pokemon are more intelligent than some trainers might give them credit for.

One word of advice: the capture of Yanma was a bit rushed in execution. You built up to it like it was going to be a difficult encounter, and then it was resolved so quickly that I felt like I'd blinked and missed it. Kind of anticlimatic.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Rui wondered how powerful Miror B had to be to take a Pokemon from such a strong and influential man. For that matter, someone like Duking must have quite a powerful Pokemon.

“Yes, my poor sweet Plusle, Lila,” Duking continued, and Rui nearly fell over in shock. This huge, burly guy’s prized Pokemon was a tiny Plusle?
Rui, be more open-minded! This girl, I swear... :'p

Agreeing with Trollkitten that Haru writing is a really nice touch! You don't see that in a lot of runs

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I really liked the part where Nikki took the Magneton's electricity and shot it back at the Seaking. Very stylish battle moves :) battles can be tricky to write in an interesting way so this was a nice addition!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely tired.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Trollkitten Glad you liked that! Yeah, Pokemon can be just as smart as humans. Too bad not at all the humans want to admit this…

Ah, yeah, I see how that could be anticlimactic. Although I don't feel like I was really building it up to be difficult so much as I was stressing the importance of choosing the right Pokemon for the fight, because some of the team, as unruly Shadows with type advantages, could have been a real threat to the Yanma rather than the other way around. Even so, I definitely could have handled that better.

@Dee Thanks! It's definitely something I’d like to see more of. If Pokemon can understand humans, they should be able to understand writing!

@Spectacles Thank you! I struggle a lot with writing battles so I'm glad you liked that bit.

Hello, I’m finally back with Chapter 8! I had a full draft of this written quite a while ago, but I decided that the first part needed some major rewriting to expand on things and then it took me a while to get around to actually doing that. (And then I just kind of disappeared for half a year. Whoops.) I'm pretty happy with the new version! I hope you like it too. Time to hear from an unfamiliar face…

Her cell was dark. Dark and cold, but not damp -- they had certainly seen to that. Rae felt the absence of moisture pressing on her like a weight, her skin cracking and flaking off, her throat stinging as if it was full of thorns every time she took a breath.

She was determined to keep breathing, anyway.

Rae had lost track of how long it had been since she was taken from her home and her clan and her mate. Long enough that she couldn't quite picture his face. Long enough that she wondered if he had given up on her and found another. They had just begun talking of starting a family together, but they hadn't had the opportunity, and now they likely never would. She mourned all the children that would never be.

Rae would be, though. No matter what they threw at her. She would continue to be, and be herself, no matter what they denied her, no matter how they hurt her. She had seen Pokemon give into the darkness, but she would not. The darkness offered nothing but a different brand of suffering. Let them kill her instead, send her to a darkness of her own choosing. She would live or die as herself.

She was not counting on there being anyone else.

They opened her cell one day, and she braced herself as she turned towards the door, preparing for more of their “persuasive tactics”. She did not brace herself for the appearance of a child, and so she stumbled back with shock.

He was a child, small even for a Remoraid, eyes too wide in his face, shaking with fear. She instinctively moved to protect him from whatever horrors they had planned, but the door simply closed, leaving the two of them alone.

“A-are you a Shadow?” he stuttered, cowering away from her.

“No,” she said. “And I won't let them make me one, and I won't let them make you one either.”

Sometimes the promises you break are the ones you most want to keep.

But neither of them knew she would never be able to keep this promise, so he drifted closer, and she wrapped a wing around him until his trembling stopped. And so began her undoing.

They talked. It felt like a gift, after so long alone in the dark, simply to talk again, talk to anyone at all, let alone someone who felt familiar. They had never known each other, but as Johtans, as a Mantine and Remoraid, they felt an instinctive connection -- not that it mattered, really, they would have been grateful for any company at all. This Remoraid was not just anyone, though. He was small and nervous, but brave despite it all, smart and funny once the layers of fear started to peel away, and he felt so much like home.

“I’m Scrap,” he said when she asked his name. “That’s what they always called me.” He almost smiled when he said it, knowing it had been an affectionate nickname once, before he was dragged to this cruel place and it became a taunt. And so Rae says it with affection every time, hoping she can remind him of home, too.

Home for each of them was different; the waters of Johto, but half a region apart. Rae grew up among the roughness of the Whirl Islands, learned to ride the ocean currents without fear while staying clear of the most dangerous ones, and avoiding the depths of the caverns where Lord Lugia dreamed, watching over them all even in restless slumber. Scrap never got to finish his growing up, but he began it among the gentle springs under the protection of the mountains, frolicking in the clear water and watching the trainers pass by.

Above all, though, home was their families, long gone and torn away from them, separated by forces stronger than the tides. They may never find their ways back, but they had each other, now, and though they knew it was too good to be true, they let themselves believe they could have this, because they needed something to believe.

The humans came back after an eternity to take him. She blocked the doorway with her fury, protecting his small smooth body, refusing to let them make it cracked and scarred like hers.

They were not going to make him a Shadow, they said.

They were going to kill him.

Unless she cooperated, of course.

He told her not to, begged and pleaded that she should save herself, and she looked at his small scared brave eyes and knew she would do anything to protect this child who was not hers and yet was.

And so they broke her, and she broke her promise.

It was not a quick process.

When it was all over, and Rae was no longer really Rae but a worthless shadow puppet who either did what she was told or tried to tear everyone apart (and this was considered a success, this was what they wanted), she came back to the cell and found a Scrap who was no longer really Scrap.

They hadn't killed him.

But they hadn't saved him, and she hadn't saved him. She could not protect him from the darkness that was in both of them now, and she could not stop them both from being taken and given to a pair of trainers, two new fighting machines.

Oh, but the humans were clever. Make sure the Remoraid and the Mantine stay together. Rely on the traditional connection between their species, as well as her maternal instincts. Make sure the smaller one was protected, and make sure that this affection could be used against her, to keep her in line.

Scrap was the one thing that kept her from fully succumbing to the darkness, and she cursed them all for it.

So many Shadows described their hearts as being closed off, but Rae felt as though hers had been torn open. She had not lost her ability to feel; rather, her emotions had become her undoing. She fought not because they told her to, not because she wanted to, but because she must be a protector. How strange, that there were so many different ways to break a Pokemon.

***​

She had to come to welcome the blissfully numb state of being in a Pokeball. It was nothing but a vague emptiness, a more-than-half-asleep stasis where she didn't have to remember anything, didn't have to fight.

And of course, it never lasted.

She was dragged back into the world, bombarded by sunlight, surrounded by air currents. Fighting outside, then. Rae blinked to clear her head, took in the fact that she was fighting on a rooftop. That was fine for her, but for others... A quick glance behind her revealed Reath as well as Ferma. Not that she was surprised -- her trainer rarely went anywhere without her partner. And that meant...

He was here, too. Small and fragile, far from your typical Shadow. Reath had been furious to receive him -- she had complained about ending up with such a useless, pathetic, worthless waste of a Pokemon, especially after Ferma had been given a Mantine.

Scrap was far away from her, here on this rooftop. Her path to him was blocked by Reath’s Spinarak and Ferma’s Furret, but she smiled over at him in reassurance, and he smiled back, cautiously.

And then, she noticed who they were fighting.

The ones that Reath and Ferma had been ordered to stop. The boy with the terrible machine wrapped around his arm, and the two Eeveelutions that stood in front of him protectively. The girl who could see into your soul, hesitantly commanding two of the boy’s Shadows.

A four-on-four rooftop battle was not the safest thing.

The girl yelled a command, and the ghost went after Spinarak, who cowered in fear before being blasted back with a wave of darkness. Rae nearly cowered herself at the sight of a Flaaffy, but the electric attack sailed harmlessly past her and Scrap.

And suddenly, she was face-to-face with an Espeon.

“I won't hurt you,” he said, standing motionless in front of her. She summoned a wall of water to wash him away, but he put up a shield without so much as blinking, and the wave splashed harmlessly to the ground. “I know you don't really want to fight us,” he continued, unfazed. “We can help you. Both of you. Come with us, and you'll be safe.”

Oh, she wanted to believe him. But who wouldn't say such things, to get her guard down? She glanced desperately at Scrap, who seemed to be having a similar one-sided conversation with the Umbreon.

“Come, we'll all talk together,” the psychic type suggested. He led her to the other side of the roof, weaving through the battlefield. The electricity crackled again, this time taking out Ferma’s Yanma while she screamed do something, you useless Mantine! The words were just a distant echo to Rae. She couldn't care less about Ferma. Maybe there really was a place for her and Scrap on a different team, a safer team.

“Can we leave?” Scrap begged her as soon as she reached him. His small body trembled with hope and fear and desperation. How could she not take him away from all this? “You know Reath never wanted me, but they do.” His eyes were shining, a rare moment of light among the darkness.

“Yes,” she whispered, as if saying it louder might stop it from happening. She turned to the Eeveelutions, who were watching hopefully. “And if you ever do anything to hurt him, I will make you regret it for the rest of your short and painful lives.” She let the darkness rise up inside of her, and stared them both down with all the protective fury in her heart.

They just smiled and signaled to their trainer, who readied the snag machine. Rae breathed deeply, trying to disperse the darkness. Freedom. Something that had seemed like an impossible dream, just minutes ago.

Another distant echo from Ferma. You're not taking our Pokemon! And then her Aipom slammed into Rae, knocking her out of the path of the Pokeball. As she spun through the air, she noted the absence of the other Shadows -- making sure things didn't get out of hand, now that there were less Pokemon who needed to be fought.

The Espeon didn't hesitate. He launched a psychic attack at the Aipom, knocking it out cold with terrifying efficiency. Reath’s Luvdisc was hovering in front of the anxious Scrap, blocking a clean throw from the snag machine. The Umbreon was quick to unleash a pulse of dark energy. It sped towards the Luvdisc, who remained stubbornly in the way.

Until, at the last possible moment, it darted out of reach.

There was nothing anyone else could do. The blast of energy hit Scrap head-on, knocking him backwards off the rooftop with a terrified wail. Rae launched herself after him, the darkness lending her speed, but she knew it was too late.

He was already hopelessly still on the ground, free of darkness, free of life.

The rage crashed over her like a tidal wave, drowning her in grief, sweeping her away into the darkness. She rose back up to the rooftop, slamming into the Luvdisc and sending it flying off the other side, a look of pure surprise on its face. And then she turned to Reath and Ferma.

They had so many frantic echoes to throw at her, things like how dare you and you'll pay for this and then don't hurt me, but she cared not for their little noises. Shadow Pokemon were supposed to be the heartless ones, but she was not the one with so little disregard for an innocent life.

And they were far from innocent, now. Her already damaged heart had been ripped out entirely, and she was through obeying the orders of killers. She would become a killer herself, but wasn't that what they had wanted from her in the first place? She would kill them, and she would kill anyone else who got in her way. The darkness was everywhere now, and she sailed into its embrace, drinking it in in a futile attempt to fill the hole in her chest.

The unfamiliar Pokeball cut a path of blinding light through the darkness as it slammed into her. For once, the numbness was the last thing she wanted. She screamed wordlessly, struggled and raged and fought it with everything she had, but it was not enough.

After all, she no longer had anything. Nothing but darkness, and then even that was taken from her as she was dragged down into an unforgiving sleep.
Hoo boy. That Remoraid is very hard to catch -- it's significantly lower level than your team, and you can knock it out if you so much as breathe on it. Because that Luvdisc ended up knocking itself out with Takedown, Vari’s attack automatically targeted the Remoraid instead, and there was nothing to be done about that! So there's my first failed snag, but I'm not too broken up about it because I never intended to use the Remoraid anyway.

...But that doesn't mean I can't still get some angst out of it! I did manage to catch the Mantine, and I decided to deviate from my usual play style by having a rotating team. So we’ll be seeing more of Rae, for sure. but not any more of Scrap because he’s DEAD

I do have about 2/3 of the next chapter written from pre-hiatus times, though I can’t say when I’ll get around to finishing it. I do want to start exploring the team dynamics more, but I’m working on a lot of different things rn, plus life has been very uncool to me lately, so… we’ll see! Hope you liked this chapter, though. Thanks for sticking around <3

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Life's been uncool to a lot of us recently, so I understand. Take your time.

Ohhhhh, poor Scrap. Poor Rae, too. She may still be alive, but what does she have to live for now? Her entire world has been taken away from her.

I hope that someday, she finds peace. I know nothing will ever replace Scrap, but I want her to be able to go on.

Garnet

Wolfwalkers? Wolfwalkers.
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Oof ow ouch my heart and Scrap's bones lmao thisisfine. It's rad to see this run in my alerts again! A great chapter as always. And I feel you - Life can be a rude ass bitch sometimes, hopefully it eases up on you soon :') Don't be afraid to take your time until then! (And after then, of course, too! We'll still be here, haha)

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Welcome back!

This was a good chapter. I especially liked the backstory laid out in the beginning... it's so sad and intense, and I feel so badly for Rae and everything she's gone through, especially missing her mate. And then the sadness just peaks when it comes time for Scrap, poor bby;;

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Ahhh all the angst! Poor Rae! That is a cool way to incorporate a failed catch into the story- great use of gameplay for plot purposes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)